Designers » F-H » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

dislike

almond
salty
Close Gap for women Pictures

Close is a fragrance by the house of Gap, created by Marypierre Julien. This clean, modern, gentle and light fragrance is constructed as floral-musk. It encompasses aromas of aquatic accords, salty citruses and fresh almond scents. A heart brings us white flowers, freesia, jasmine and heliotrope while a base features sandalwood, leather musk, vanilla and amber. Gap Close is available as 30, 50 and 100ml edt. Close was launched in 2009.

Water Notes Salt Citruses Almond

Love and Light

Close Fragrance Reviews

Erinbath22
Erinbath22

Wowzer! I love this stuff! I found it at TJ Maxx for $12. My mom loved it so I gave her the bottle, went back and got the last one! It's like having a lemon Hawaiian shaved ice on the beach while the waves send up a little salty spray you can feel on your skin. At first the citrus is strong, then you get a snuggly vanilla almond sneaking in with a hint of freesia and jasmine, still very light, with the musk and maybe some woodsy nip. It's all very well blended and hard to pull out individual notes, at least for me. But like some of the best smells out there, sometimes they are just hard to describe. It's light and sunshiney, and might even be a mood lifter, and with it staying close to the skin I will wear it to work. Hope I can still find this when I run out!
Edit: layered this with Philosophy Sea of Love, which I felt needed a salty element, and have now found the most heavenly beach scent ever. But I still like it all by itself.

wilso55
wilso55

Got this for an old gf. Very nice neutral salty almond scent.

lulu169
lulu169

too musky, too salty. resembels Jil Sander Pure, which gives me headache, too, becauso of too much musk

enjoythesilence
enjoythesilence

Quick review: Gap Close is a clean, lightly sweetened musk. It's snuggly, pure, soft and gentle. I detect a sheer powdery accord, which I prefer to wear in cooler weather or during a spring/summer cool night. This is a great bedtime/cuddling scent - a hug in a bottle! This was a blind buy based upon favorable reviews here, and I am pleased with this bargain find!

Longer review: Gap Close is a hug in a bottle - it's comforting, warm, and cuddly. This is a lovely perfume to wear when you want to be that shoulder to cry on, or if you just want to share a close moment with a friend or loved one.

It opens with a purifying and fresh watery accord, including a hint of refreshing citrus. The salty note adds a gentle haze - like an ocean mist or free-flowing tears. Almond is soothing and bittersweet.

The heart notes include freesia - a breath of fresh air; jasmine, which evokes genuine closeness; heliotrope is rich and enveloping, like a comforting embrace.

The base notes include vanilla, which is lightly sweet and comforting; the amber note is radiant and glowing; sandalwood leaves you feeling safe and grounded; musk provides the essence of closeness and a secure hug in the arms of a dear one.

Hugs -- I'm a bit of a geek, so I researched the physiological science behind hugs. Why do humans hold one another? We hug as a greeting; as a farewell; for comfort and reassurance; to display kindness and love. And it turns out that hugs are beautifully beneficial to our health and overall wellness!

Sharing the warmth of a good hug (lasting 20 seconds or more) can provide all of the following benefits: shares physical warmth; lowers blood pressure and heart rate; lessens anxiety; eases pain; boosts immunity; balances the parasympathetic nervous system; lowers the stress hormone cortisol, and improves ability to induce restorative sleep; releases the neuropeptide, oxytocin, which is the bonding/love hormone - it lays a biological foundation to build trust, devotion and contentment; stimulates the pleasure hormone, dopamine - and sparks motivation (exciting music enhances this effect - the brain releases dopamine in anticipation of these moments!); stimulates serotonin - this flows when you feel significant or important (loneliness and depression appear when serotonin is absent), serotonin also encourages healthy weight, a healthy heart and a longer lifespan; releases endorphins which provide a sensation of pleasure while easing pain and sadness; hugging for an extended time elevates mood and increases happiness; babies who are hugged regularly grow into less stressed adults; hugs increase social connectedness and a sense of belonging.

Share a hug with a friend or loved one! It will benefit both of you.

Soundtrack: Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand in Mine

scentedrat
scentedrat

Blind bought this at TJ MAXX today, even though the notes worried me a bit. Sprayed it on in the car and loved it immediately! Very light, and the almond and vanilla are indiscernible to my nose, although they must be what sweetens it. I smell so many things, but can't describe them! But definitely the description "floral woody musk" fits. It's just so pretty! Lasting power is awful, but I will enjoy spraying it frequently.

*_Lilly_*
*_Lilly_*

Blind bought this today after reading the notes here. I am glad I did! The only bottle and I snagged it not knowing what I had in my hands :)
Beachy, clean, safe, and it does change while wearing it... I really like it!
EDIT: I sense the almond but it mixes with the salt accords so well that it is hard to tell who is who. I do not get much vanilla or amber and sandalwood comes out more on me but it always does. I do smell floral in the beginning but fades quickly. Not great longevity but that is OK with me for this type of scent

ProfessionalWidow
ProfessionalWidow

As someone who loves sweet, gourmand, boudoir, powerhouse types of scents, I've always struggled with what to wear when the weather gets hot- and I mean really hot (I live in the desert.) In those conditions, what I want more than anything is something that smells clean and fresh, as well as something that's not going to project in the heat like crazy and choke me and any unfortunate acquaintances nearby. Gap Close is that scent.

I get the citrus mostly in the opening, then the almond and saltwater. It's all softened by some vanilla and soft, not cloying, musk. This isn't really a fragrance that has stages or development- it's just slightly more citrusy in the opening and then it becomes a lovely scent that is simply reminiscent of clean, recently lotioned skin after a shower. So, I suppose you could call it "well blended." Basically, Close is a shower in a bottle, and it's essentially what I'd always imagined my ideal "skin" scent to be.

As others have said, longevity is not too great- it lasts a few hours (3-4 at most). It stays close (get it??) to the skin, but I'm pretty sure that's the point. This stuff's not expensive, so spray away!

Coconutmusk
Coconutmusk

I found this at Marshall's a few weeks back and have waited on doing a proper review because I hoped the words would come to me that would do this juice justice.
When I hopped on Fragrantica to look up the notes I was underwhelmed, but the reviews were good as was the price so I snagged it up, took it to my car and tore into it like a rabid animal (this probably sounds familiar to all you bargain hunting perfume addicts out there lol)
Instant love! Soft, lightly sweet,musky white floral. Delicate yet confidant. This reminds me of perfumes I have smelled on other girls/women over the years that conveys "This is a girl who knows what she's about. She may seem demure and sweet, but she is confidant in herself and knows her worth." And anytime I have detected "this kind" of scent I always thought it had to be expensive, or it wouldn't smell like that on me. Or...I'm too much of a mess to pull of sexy,sweet and sure all at the same time. But as it turns out, I can! Unfortunately everyone down the review chain is correct that siliage and longevity is quite poor- which is such a shame because the magic in this bottle lasts about as long as a distant memory but makes you smile just the same.

Avidahola
Avidahola

Blind buy at TJ Maxx - so glad I took a chance on this one! Amazingly comforting scent that I love wearing to bed and refreshing in the morning.

unsrsly
unsrsly

Very delicate and light. It is not my usual cup of tea, I usually prefer very sweet and loud perfume, but this is lovely. Definitely a skin scent but it lasts pretty long on clothing. It is fresh and calming. I get a lot of almond and vanilla and citrus and salt water as well as the musk. I actually love the fact that it isn't very sweet. This was only 10 bucks for 1.7oz and I am really pleased to have something unique like this in my collection. I use it a lot after showers because it is so clean. Good scent.

DamonAlbarn
DamonAlbarn

This is literally heavenly. There is no man on earth that could dislike smelling this up close, and you can really spray it on lavishly. I picked this up at Marshalls as an afterthought after blind buying SJP Lovely, and found that Lovely was overrated and everything I was looking for was here instead. I would honestly pay $100 for this if it was in a designer brand's bottle, it's that good.

It just... smells like you need a really big kiss and embrace. You can spray it on your linens and clothes too, and they will not have that awful overly floral scent and it'll fade away rather quickly.

Bring the bottle with you, it doesn't have good longevity or sillage.

I am in love. Saltwater, vanilla, and almond, what more could you want?

Katieg
Katieg

I managed to get a cheap bottle of this after reading the excellent Bargain Scents articles here. Today is the first day I tried it. Sweet and complex. Almonds, wood and sugar and that 'note' that is undefinable and unquantifiable and a must have for me - nostalgia. The drifting background smell of the shop I used to buy my baby items in! Clean but flowery and the scent of a feeling as good scents should be, not too obvious 'notes' sniffed identified and gone. Trouble with it is though it's too 'light' and 'white' and has no real staying power. I'll keep it to use in Summer when anything heavy attracts wasps!

Cel405
Cel405

I picked this up at Ross, never trying a Gap scent before. I looked this up (on Fragrantica) and tried to quickly scan the reviews. Based on the notes listed, this seemed like it would be something I'd like. I can say with all my heart, YES it is! I think this is probably the first time in quite a while that I can actually pick up nearly all the notes. I get almond, vanilla, floral, and a tiny bit of musk. I'm not really getting the salty notes, but that's okay!

This smells delicate while still being strong enough to get noticed. It's very soft in a way that there are no sharp edges to it, no one note that stands so far out that it stabs someone in the face. If you're a fan of soft vanilla (and doesn't want "foodie" vanilla), warm, yet mild nuttiness and just a faint whisper of musk and floral, then this is definitely for you!

Love it!

alias222
alias222

This is a perfect scent when you don't have time...
to do your hair (so it ends up in a messy bun), to do your make-up (so it comes down to mascara and lip gloss), or to match your clothes (so you grab your favorite jeans and hope that the high heels will yet again save the day)...
When you have no time to think - that is when you take gap close and spray it all over. Can't go overboard, no worries, it's really soft and smells just like a body lotion after a shower and will make you feel sort of, uhm, "well put together" (in spite of everything, in my case ;-)).

CharleneApril
CharleneApril

$9.99 blind buy at Ross! In heaven! Loving this scent, so 'me' ! The floral, vanilla, and nut notes are so warm and yummy! I couldn't see how anyone could flat out hate this scent! Go Gap!

celebrity89
celebrity89

Found a mini at Marshalls. This is very much like the Jessica McClintock line and an Yves Rocher I fail to remember the name of- it had a bottle that resembled a white, flat pebble.

Commandaria
Commandaria

I bought this smell today and I fell in love with it! For me it's smells like Beach Walk Replica. But not that plastic like Beach Walk. At first, it's very citric. Just for 20 minutes. Then it turns on salty-clean-a bit sweet-beach fragrance. It's totally good for beach. And after few hours its still clean-sweet
Love it!

ksugrl79
ksugrl79

I found a small bottle of this at TJ Maxx. It was the kind you dab on. I'm not the biggest fan of that version, but until I get my atomizer to transfer it to- it'll do. But anyway...at first sniff its quite airy & light. Then I dab it on after my shower, and about 30 mins later I get a crisp, clean light almondy scent with the slightest hint of salty breeze. Then it mellows into a floraly aroma, but still a very clean beachy scent. Definitely a clean skin musk! I'm quite impressed by the advice I've been getting on here lately. This definitely will not let you down, and its very inoffensive if working in a close space at work or if you have sensitive sinuses. I'm definitely going to go back & stock up on some more mini bottles! Too bad I discovered this so late.

b.a.denney
b.a.denney

I found a 1.7 ounce bottle at TJ Maxx, and boy do I wish I'd found the 3.4 ounce bottle. This stuff is amazing. This is now a "love" for me. Not many perfumes enter that category for me. In it's own way, I like it as much as some of my much more expensive perfumes like Dior's Hypnotic Poison. Price doesn't always equate to greatness, as witnessed in this Gap treasure of a fragrance.

Update: I'm going to have to stock up via ebay, because I haven't seen any more of these at TJ Maxx or Marshalls. They get the other Gap fragrances, but they are nowhere near as good at Close is. This is easily in my top 10, maybe top 5. I just love it, for all year, and it's just addictive. This perfume makes me feel like it was created just for me, I love it that much.

Cassiano
Cassiano

This feminine fragrance from GAP was released in 2009 and surprised me by the quality. The bottle has nothing special, but what's inside is very good.

The fragrance has notes of sea water, almond blossom and citrus-salty accord, in the output. In the heart, were added notes of jasmine from Madagascar, Freesia and daphne (genus of plants with more than 50 species), while at the base, we can find notes of sandalwood, vanilla, silky musk and amber.

The aroma is extremely delicate, but not soft or weak. It’s feminine, floral, sensual and gives a good feeling of cleansing with moisturizing. It's like if they had caught a good almond moisturizer and mixed with the musk and its cleaning nuances, along with some more delicate flowers. And the name has everything to do with the product.

It's that kind of scent for the woman who likes to snuggle up with her beloved one, watching TV and exchanging care. It's addictive and who usually try it, wants to buy a bottle soon.

If you do the romantic style, who likes cuddling under the covers and not give up a good perfume, you should try this one.

theuntrainednose
theuntrainednose

This fragrance sat forgotten for years as I received it around Christmas 2009 at Secret Santa on the job I was then. I remember spraying it, thinking "Fresh, unremarkable, but I'll keep it" and forgetting about it.

Well, now it's summer (2014, mind you) and I decided to try it again. Wow!

Surprisingly complex compared to what I was expecting. On the opening I get freshness and something similar to sea breeze (reminds me of Navegar without all the wood and spices), plus something deeper which I cannot really describe. Could be the almond, an almond that is more almond peel in its slightly woody smell than sweet almond.

As it dries it gets just a hint of flowers, very subtle and not very sweet, and a nice fresh powdery note without losing the sea breeze atmosphere and slight bright wood notes (compared to darker wood notes that orientals often have). I know it has more notes as I can smell something else behind this, but I cannot identify them.

To me, it recalls waking up in early summer near the sea, open windows and a slight breeze, the air still neither cool nor warm. I really like it now!

-----
Added: Comparison to Noa:

In my mind, both this and Noa are "morning, clean, white, breezy" fragrances.

Noa is more cool and fresh and airy, almost transparent, where this one is more powdery and sweet and salty, though never going into gourmand territory. I find both comforting and energizing (in a calm way) at the same time, and I wear one or the other quite often in the morning before going to work when I'm not in the mood for citrus, greens or soft florals.

(I do love orientals and old-style chypres and even masculine wood scents, but in my mind they are more of a "going out" or "night at home" scents).

mamufa
mamufa

Almondy, sweet, I don't get any freshness.
On me it's heavy, sensual, musky and sweet.

chimidoro
chimidoro

I'm so envious right now. On my best friend, who is male, this is (almost) all that I wanted it to be on me, however on neither of us is it what we expected.
(After spotting this at £8 for 100ml we decided to purchase it to share. We both like the notes and the reviews we read here on Fragrantica - boasting an almondy, floral, salty, aquatic, "white soap" scent.)

My experience is a pleasant but somewhat disappointing one. I like this; straight away it's extremely sweet & sugary citrus. People say it's a light skin scent, but on both of us it was rather strong to begin with. One spray was more than enough. On us it only settles to a skin scent after around two hours of indoor wear.

It instantly reminded me of sweet and sour sugarcoated jelly sweets from 10p mixes when I was a child. (Eighties UK!)
Lots of sweet citrus (sugary lemon & lime), musk and a touch of salt. The floral notes are indistinct, but are present around half an hour in. I'd say that the heliotrope is the strongest of the floral notes on me.

I agree completely with the people who say that this is a clean scent. It really does smell like I just stepped out of the bath/shower. Like a sweet shampoo, shower gel or bubble bath, emanating with the natural scent of salty, clean, warm and clammy skin.
But overall it's quite plasticky and synthetic on me, not like a white bar of soap, but more like a basic, citrus shower gel.
There's nothing remotely aquatic on my skin and I get barely any almond. The lack of creamy, soapy almond and the lack of aquatic notes are what I'm most disappointed about.

Now, on to my best friend's lucky encounter with this scent. It works on both of us, but on him it's a million times better.
On both of us it's initially quite strong, filling the room with only one spray each. Almost instantly, where it was citrus and not unlike 10p mix sweets on me, it took a distinctly musky, salty & natural turn on him. Mainly Johnson's baby shampoo/oil, but with a believably natural, soft & salty ocean breeze.

So, on both of us we get "cleaning/bathing products".
On his skin: Salty & musky in a slightly "animalic", almost sweaty way, with a touch of fruity, peppery sweetness and a hint of an ocean breeze.
A salty baby shampoo/bubble bath/oil.

On my skin: Sweet & sour citrus, slight sweet heliotrope, subtle but sharp almond, on a sweet & plasticky musky background.
A feminine shampoo/shower gel with a strong similarity to (vintage?) "Fairy" washing up liquid.

Nearly three hours in, it's stronger on my skin than on his. Still sweet and nice enough.
Surprisingly lasts for around seven hours on my skin.
Sadly only lasted for around four hours on his.

Edit: When applied in abundance, this becomes vintage Fairy washing up liquid on both of us. :(

Eirlys
Eirlys

This perfume is perfect for everyday use. It's so light, so fresh, and the almond note combined with the aquatic notes is just amazing. I like Gap fragrances because they're not all generic (sweet or fruity all the time). Close, just like its name, sits on the skin and wraps me up in a bundle of almond and freesia and musk, and they mix with one another so well. I find it's interesting that the there's a salt note in this perfume, because on me it's just sweet and warm.

This perfume lasts 4-5 hours on me, so it's really great for an EDT. Also, the scent is really inoffensive so could be use in any occasion. It's fresh for daytime, but the warmth of the almond makes it great for nighttime as well. The bottle is also really pretty and simple at the same time.

moreorlessa
moreorlessa

I managed to guess what this perfume would smell like from looking at the notes and reading the reviews here in fragrantica, and I am pleased it met my expectations. Sometimes notes come to together in a way that renders them irrecognizable, but here I can easily pick on the almond, salt, musk, citrus and vanilla, but it is nonetheless and interesting mix.

A nice and easy laidback daytime skin scent. It's not an obvious fragrance, but it's also an unpretentious one that pairs well with jeans and a cotton t-shirt. However, not everyone will like how salty this is, and I find that note is stronger here than in Womanity and Very Irresistible Croisière. But I personally like it.

I should you warn you about the box. The minute I removed the plastic film which seals the box, things got out of control and I nearly dropped my bottle. The box has each lateral attached either to the top or the bottom, and both halves are loose and slippery, and you won't know how hold it propperly until perhaps it's too late. I suggest leaving it on a flat surface (the floor is probably the best choice) only then to remove the film, and then lifting the upper part of the box. And if you want another advice, throw the darn thing away.

mgirl1090
mgirl1090

I totally love this perfume! Have been wearing it for years and it never gets old. Why? Because its fresh, floral, citric and overall amazing. The scent lasts the whole day and I get a lot of compliments from others. I'm not sure why some people mentioned here that they didn't smell much in this, but maybe it's because it is very fresh and light scent. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who usually wears little bit more heavier smelling scents than this. But if you love light, fresh and slightly floral perfume this perfume is for you.

agentj
agentj

I love this. I bought it based solely on the reviews here, and while I wish it had a more almond or vanilla smell on me, it is very soft and cozy. I get some of the salt and water notes when first sprayed, and it has more sillage than my heavier perfumes, which I find interesting. For instance, I have to spray multiple times with my beloved Cocoon or Chaos to be able to smell myself, but with this I was eating dinner after about an hour of wearing and kept getting lovely soft musky wafts of myself. The only negative was a bit of "wet dog" smell about 20 minutes into wearing, but that quickly disappeared and it mellowed nicely. I think it will be better during warmer weather or layered with a scent that has more vanilla. Overall I'd give it a 3 of 5 rating. I have always loved Gap scents and wish I'd bought more Om and Dream since they are now going for hundreds on ebay.

Pari88
Pari88

Pleasant and soft, slightly salty. It smells like clean skin with a drop of sweet sandalwood and vanilla. Almond and heliotrope give it a slightly powdery "bitter" quality, but the main star is the salt. It blends in lovely with the rest of the notes to make a very clean, musky scent. It is very Zen, Simple, Balanced, Neutral, and never disrupts your sense of smell from anything else around you. It is not obtrusive or offensive. Moonwalk Memories review of it being "human being" like smelling is spot on.

Perfect for those who work in hospitals or healthcare related fields, where we can't wear Perfumes to work. It scents you ever so lightly, but boy does it last! It is highly unisex as well, my love wears it and took my bottle of lotion for his car :-)

Moonwalk Memorie
Moonwalk Memorie

Following years of disuse, this formula has suddenly grown on me.

I purchased Close on impulse after smelling it in the air - it was calming and attractive. I brought it home and found it to be nothing more than overpowering salty musk… Tried getting used to it over the weeks, but some peers openly disliked it as well, so I just left it alone. I later realized that, at the store, it positively reminded me of my then long-term boyfriend. Curiously, it smells like white florals on his skin (or like "pretty, pretty flowers", as I originally stated).

4 years later: I now LOVE this. Dries down into a pleasantly feminine, sensual and clean scent.

On my skin: Almond (not amaretto), salt, musk, vanilla and a hint of floral. No citrus to my nose. Smells like I hopped right out of the shower and started running... at the beach.

I understand how it can seem "dirty" or "gross" to some noses, but I think that's because it smells much like a human being.

Reminds me of hot summer days, but it's cozy effect could also be nice during the winter.

Purchased the 15ml trio. They smell watered down. An employee pulled it out of nowhere and the package was very dented, so I'm assuming it's from an old batch. The "new", 1.7 onz bottles on display smell optimal.

IsabelAlice
IsabelAlice

One of the most successful blind buys I had. Decided to purchase it based in fragrantican's reviews and perfume pyramid. This one has skin-scent-but-OH-SO-BETTER! I got salty almond musky-vanillic, with a touch of jasmine. It lays pretty close to skin. I liked it so much I overapplied in order to get more sillage. Not sure if I got, but I noticed the scent quite present (deliciously present) all day long, about 10h, without reapplying.
Wearing it I found out Close is, in fact, a scent I've always craved when I smelled it, just couldn't find out what it was. I've smelled it before in stranger women and thought it was an extremely sexy scent, reminding me my own skin smell after good, well-crafted sex.
It surely qualifies as a cheap thrill, an inexpensive frag, abundantly available in US an very easy to find online. Will suit both men and women - I guess would smell even better on male skin.

Trish459
Trish459

I went shopping in the Gap with my daughter the other day, and tried Close. I wanted to buy it immediately! My daughter told me to wait until we finished browsing to see if I still liked it. I absolutely did!
Close is subtle and makes me feel like I'm clean, and have a secret... a scent about me that people will notice, but won't cause them to think that I'm wearing anything, just that I'm clean.
I usually go easy on colognes, choosing to spray the scent in the air and then walking into the mist. With Close, I spray directly onto my skin and clothes.
I can't pick out almonds or saltwater like so many others have. I smell a flower with something just a bit different from the floral, making it unique to me.
The one drawback is that it seems to wear off quickly.

Sapphi9
Sapphi9

Bought this on a whim right before a trip to Aruba. It was perfect as a more sensual beachy scent, as opposed to a more playful fruity one. But on the other hand I also agree with who ever described it as "warm, cuddly and comfortable." Smells beachy but also casual-sexy, like staying in bed all morning on a rainy day. I don't really know how else to describe it. Makes me feel like I'm putting on my favorite comfy sweater.

Sillage is really minimal, but then again, it is called "Close" and not "Arm's length." I find it inspires nuzzling and cuddling which is just fine with me!

dfwag2011

Fresh, clean, refreshing, perfect everyday frag for spring and summer. Doesn't last very long or have much sillage though....

illumi
illumi

I personally love GAP Close. It starts off a little soapy on me, but settles into this really delicate salt, musk & almond scent. It doesn't have much sillage, it just sort of lingers really close to the skin. The drydown of this is the best part, in my opinion. It lasts about 5-6 hours on me.

Plain boring. The drugstores here just have started to feature some Gap scents and so far I couldn't find one pleasant one among them.

Fleur_Nuit
Fleur_Nuit

I got a small sample of this and it kind of grew on me. First time I tried it I thought it smelled like a cleaning product. But then I tried it again on a different day and I liked it, as I wore it I smelt the almond and salty notes. It does smell clean but I don't think it's fresh. It really stays very close to the skin and has little projection but I could see myself wearing this on days I don't want to wear anything more remarkable. It doesn't seem to offend my nose or give me any allergies which is kind of rare.. On the down side the lasting power is so week on me! Maybe if I spray it on my clothes and hair it might linger for a little longer... All in all, I might be getting this in the future!

Kittenbug
Kittenbug

I bought this at a mall in the Baltimore Harbor in the Spring, last year. It takes me there, in the hot, seafront air (but I also wore this in the fall/winter).

To me, it's clean, but a tinge heavy, where it's a floral away from giving me a headache. However, my husband loves this perfume. It's powdery and crisp.

addusk
addusk

The best possible mix of grapefruit (which is very noticable here), almond, musk, salt, and pepper. It smells very spicy/gourmand on me, but in the lightest, airiest way. My favorite out of the three. It lasts forever, and it gets really woodsy and salty by the end. It smells a tad bit soapy though.

juliettakobo
juliettakobo

I don't know what it is about this perfume, but all I can smell is a heavy powder and a tinge of a bad undercurrent. I really wanted a light, clean scent to wear during the day in the summer, and sadly, this isn't it.

merlinarbor
merlinarbor

I just smells like teenage girl sweat and better-forgotten teenage...I was going to write "sex" but it doesn't even smell that interesting. Making out, perhaps? If you're 16, this is probably right up your alley.

Repogirl
Repogirl

I absolutely LOVE this fragrance! I only wish it came in an EDP form as well as lotion so I could layer it. This is one of those fragrances I wish I could have shooting out of my shower in lieu of water, that's how much I love this. To me, it's the perfect light, clean, shower fresh, powdery, soft scent. Lots of people talk about heavy vanilla use in ths but i dont get that from as i am not a big fan of heavy vanilla scents. This is blended perfectly, well done Gap!

This is my new favorite and signature scent. I wish I found this earlier but I will be buying this up just in case they decide to discontinue it, beautiful!

somatotrope
somatotrope

I am so obsessed with this perfume that I joined this website just to give it a good review. Weird, right? It's Gap, you can buy it at a mall, and it doesn't have a flashy bottle or an exciting celebrity campaign behind it. Yet since I first discovered Close three years ago, I've never looked for another scent.

I think part of Close's appeal to me is its subtlety. I've always been extremely put off by the strong "chemical" scents in high end designer perfumes, and bold florals are nice on other people, but they give me headaches after extended wear. Close fits me like a glove. I spray some on my wrists, shirt, and hair in the morning and it still lingers when I go to bed. I wear it every day, and it feels to me like the way that I should smell naturally, rather than something overpowering and artificial. It's become something that my friends recognize me by since it always stays really well on jackets and scarves and pillows. It's subtle, which almost makes it more intimate. Guys love it too... In fact, I can name three different guys who commented on how good I smelled after romantic entanglements... in all three cases, I was wearing Close.

Basically, I'm crazy about this perfume. If they ever discontinue it, I will probably cry. It is sweet and warm without being syrupy, light and fresh with good staying power, and the musk is gentle and soft. It smells like curling up by a fire in a comfy sweater with a gentle ocean breeze coming from the window. And all things equally poetic and artistic. Try it out!

lilou
lilou

Lovely fragrance : musky, milky and fresh. To me vanilla is not enough intensive, it's like a fresh Noa without coffee notes. It reminds me of a baby soap. Good lasting power.

Museumgal
Museumgal

I find this very complex for the price. A hint of citrus at the opening, and then light florals, musk and vanilla. These are all well-blended so one doesn't overpower the other, it isn't a vanilla bomb or a musk overload or a flower bomb. The notes work very well together. Lasts well.

pansylady
pansylady

This is a lovely citrus floral, and would probably be ok for all but the strictest fragrance-free workplaces. Aquatic freesia takes center stage, while citrus and non-indolic jasmine play supporting roles. Amber and vanilla are not noticeable at all- which suits me just fine!
It reminds me of the Body Shop's Dreams Unlimited, but I think Close may have slightly better staying power/potency.

i like this for a casual day scent. its a nice vanilla almond fragrance with a musky floral and sandalwood drydown. it's not loud or have a lot of sillage, but that might be just what i like about it. just a soft nice easily wearable scent. lasts about 3 hrs before i had to reapply.

dfwag2011

So warm, cuddly, and comfortable, but not lasting.

Leek
Leek

I really wanted to love this one. The bottle is beautiful in my opinion and the pearly white finish gives it the most innocent cleanest look. What a disaapointment was to realize the scent doesn't last on my skin for more than 1-2 hours. And even then, the sillage is very poor-it stays extremely close, like its name. Too close i'd say.
I liked the smell, but it reminds me of a thousand similar perfumes I've already smelled. Nothing to write home about. Just plain and safe powdery freshness. A "meh" kind of scent for me.
If you like it though, it is very reasonablly priced I must say.

I don't get anything salty or aquatic accord. To me, the scent is warm and inviting. I get sweet an creamy almondy vanilla with something slightly powdery and musky. I would call the scent a little zesty too with the hint of citrus as well as a mild and gentle white floral essence. The ads describes it best. It's perfect for nice sunday morning in bed or brunch with your loved ones.

sophisticated
sophisticated

this is somehow an attempt to make another D&G light blue, at least to my nose it is and both aren't really the ones i'd go crazy for

domenicamartinello
domenicamartinello

One of my signature fragrances. SO pleasantly surprised, just delightful and unique. Lasts all day. The salty-citrus is really odd and wonderful and fades into a lovely musky floral. For some reason, I especially love wearing this on a cloudy or rainy day. Really has personality.

Frann
Frann

CLOSE is my signature fragrance now! I saw it in its cute little $5 bottle and bought it on the spot. It smells so warm and feminine...after wearing Eternity, Pleasures, Obsession, and Romance, I was looking for something less "heavy" but yet long-lasting...THIS IS IT! It smells warm, almost like when you take a favorite sweater from the dryer and wrap it around you...my husband loves it, and others do draw near "close" to smell its rich yet subtle fragrance! It lasts all day without overpowering others in a room, and it doesn't smell like an insecticide, like many current fragrances do! And I like that it's not a "designer" or "celebrity" fragrance...it just reminds me of warm coffee with caramel or vanilla stirred in, or that warm sweater from fresh laundry. (By the way, I wouldn't even know it has musk in it!) Thanks to GAP for making such a wonderfully wearable fragrance! Now if only I could layer it with a body creme or lotion in "Close"...:-)

narcotic
narcotic

This one ought to be called "So Close" (but no cigar). Why must all modern florals (yeah, I'm looking at you, Kate Moss) have to crash into this soupy fake white musk oblivion?

It's been over ten years since Gap commissioned Gap Dream, a wonderfully tarty aquatic floral that seemed to get fresher as it dried down. But now they come back and give us this? Complete retrogression.

I must say that the opening notes are wonderful, the musk cleverly hidden by a kind of galaxolidey sweet air-conditioned new-car-smell citrus flower blasted through with a bit of salt. Even the heart is well-done, a nondescript bunch of white flowers hit with icy water that's quite pleasing...

But then, sadly enough, it just crashes into dreaded musk territory, smelling like wet dog and skin infections, leaving me wondering why I didn't just steal my mother's dusty bottle of Jovan White Musk and call it a day (that would've been preferable, actually).

I can't exactly blame Marypierre Julien - she probably went through formulation after formulation until Gap's suits decided on the "safest" one. But jeez, is it too much to ask to just add some linalool or vetiver to the drydown instead of backsliding into cheap musk? What a scrubber.

parfumeguru
parfumeguru

This is a good for Spring and Fall and possibly Winter. Not extremely floral..it is a moderate fragrance and for a GAP I would have to say it can be considered extraordinary. or maybe because I have not owned any GAP fragrance before...:))

claudia_23
claudia_23

Is expensive but it smells cheap. Is something like an airi flowery scent that doesn;t bother and it doesn't impress but not long lasting, and very comon i will not buy it, oh yes it remind me of avon summer white but ten times more expensive, and maybe more, here summer w is 19,99 ron and gap is 270 ron . I'm not always into cheap perfumes but when i gove this money i expect a wonderfull smell not a common one, and sometimes a did find real treasures on the less expensive ones.

guest_anji
guest_anji

I didn't catch the floral scent when I first tried it in GAP today. It was more citrusy, it was refreshing, and a bit different. It was great! I fell in love with it at first spray. But a few hours later the great smell evaporated and left me with a rather nasty scent and a regretted purchase. Thank goodness I just bought the 10 ml one though.

golden
golden

I tried it this in the Gap today.
It is so delicate, airy, floaty with a lingering beautiful trail it leaves.
I tried this on many hours ago and i can still smell the beautiful soft musk and amber trail.
It reminds me of Armani white but way more beautiful and longer lasting.
I really need to get myself one of these, as it's so understated i can't believe just how beautiful this one is.

ruxxy
ruxxy

This is...oh! So many notes and oh so different! And they come in waves, one just cannot tell if it's watery fresh, citrusy, powdery from heliotrope and almond, flowery cute from jasmine...

Gap Close is just all of them, each one at a time, you just have to sniff it again to feel something else.

Yet I find something a little disturbing... perhaps it's the citrus+salt combo, which goes well with tequila and not with almonds and a musky base. Will test it again to figure it out.

thepicketywitch
thepicketywitch

This is one of the most interesting scents I've come across, and I really think it's one of the hidden gems of 2009. I'd gone into Gap intending to buy underwear and left with this instead.

It's so unusual-it's described as a floral musk, but I don't feel that accurately describes this perfume. Top notes are salt water, citrus, and fresh almond, which, to me anyway, is a lovely and unusual combination. Through these, medium notes of florals-heliotrope, freesia, and jasmine peek through, and soften the harshness of the salt. The base notes of sandalwood, musk, vanilla, and amber blend with the florals and intensify them just enough. The overall effect is very beachy-think of the Atlantic ocean in the summer, when the flowers hit the sand of the beach, and the fragrance hits the sea air. It's very light, modern, fresh, and feminine.

It's not an overpowering perfume; it's definitely a scent that is to be smelled at close range (hence the name "Close"). Bottom line, it's a very romantic scent, really meant to be smelled by your significant other when he/she gets close to you and smells your neck, your wrists, behind your ears, your hair, and left as a reminder on a pillow.

Even the bottle mirrors the scent: a simple tear-drop shaped bottle with a small silver cap and gorgeous pink-white opalescent sheen. This has taken a place of pride on my vanity.

Islandgirl
Islandgirl

I was very surprised when I tried this scent for the first time. It is a very feminine and very subtle fragrance. So great after a fresh bath. On the downside I find that the fragrance does not last for very long.

rainydays
rainydays

So I sprayed this on a card, smelled it, and got... nothing. Maybe a hint of a boring floral note, but it was so faint that I threw it into my purse and forgot about it until I got home. When I took it out at home, I was surprised. Though it was still subtle, it had bloomed into a rich floral smell with undertones of amber and musk. I'll have to give this another chance, it's caught my attention.

guest_nicole
guest_nicole

I adore "dream more" by gap and I also am in love with this scent. It is subtle, sophisticated, and gorgeous. I can definitely tell the "saltiness" as my mouth always seems to water a little when I smell it... delicately feminine, especially when worn for a little while.

Aalia
Aalia

I could not sense any of the finer, more delicate notes, of sea water and salt..perhaps they are so delicate they disappeared. The citrus is very prominent, it alternates back and forth with the floral heart. The floral heart smells of white flowers, and of (fancy) white bath soap. I like the drydown, but; separate; from the rest of the perfume. And that division exists here- the heart begins to fade away- you can smell the base intensely- but, they are still both there, and they don't match well, itś a bit of an ugly scene at this point. The fragrances is not too long lasting. It reminds me of some other perfume from the 80s or 90s (but softer, of course) but I cannot remember wich, perhaps it reminds me of those scents, in general.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Gap Close fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Gap Close, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Close by Gap. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Close by Gap represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.