Designers » F-H » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Sandalwood Cologne Geo. F. Trumper for men

Sandalwood Cologne Geo. F. Trumper for men
dislike

Sandalwood Cologne by Geo. F. Trumper is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for men. Top notes are bergamot, lemon, lavender, clary sage and spicy notes; middle notes are jasmine, carnation, geranium and rose; base notes are sandalwood, patchouli, amber, vanilla and leather.

Bergamot Lemon Lavender Clary Sage Spicy Notes

Jasmine Carnation Geranium Rose

Sandalwood Patchouli Amber Vanilla Leather

Egoiste

Sandalwood Cologne Fragrance Reviews

Forget Freeman
Forget Freeman

Lovely relaxing scent.

Even thou this is classed as a cologne it is quite strong so don't over apply.

The usual level of quality you'd expect from Geo.F.Trumper (IE, excellent) and quite uncommon so will definitely make you distinctive

LucyZulu
LucyZulu

I absolutely love Trumper's Sandalwood, it smells totally divine and is one of their finest offerings.

My gentleman friend has received compliments for this from strangers - that, alone, speaks volumes about a fragrance.

It's relatively uncommon, so you won't encounter it on too many others.

RachelGrigg
RachelGrigg

This is beautiful. After much deliberation over various sandalwood based colognes I went for a trumpers box set thinking I might gift a couple. The sandalwood is sooo delicious. I've never unfortunately had the honour of sniffing Egoiste but is that's the case that they smell similar I'm happy I found the Trumper. It's smooth and creamy and warm and spicy and delicious and totally unisex.(I can't do big girly florals). I'm tempted to seek out an egoiste now though...
And it has lasting power!

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

A respectable sandalwood scent, waxy, dense, sweet and slightly syrupy but discreetly aromatic, woody, rooty, with a nice aftertaste comprising nuances of hay, patchouli, cocoa, licorice and oak moss. Cumin and cloves, bergamot, a slight floral breeze (lavender) complete the composition. As minutes pass a floral accord emerges better, you smell more clearly the tasty density of rose and carnation, which makes Sandalwood come closer to many 1980's fougères, for example Versace l'Homme. It then finally evolves on a soapy-woody accord, noble and refined, and it also emerges a subtle leather base, nice and well-executed. What I personally do not enjoy after a while is a persistent vanillin note, which works for a while, then becomes a bit cloying, mostly because of its artificial sweetishness. Apart from this, a good scent in the "old school mossy-zesty fragrances" segment.

7-7,5/10

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Use sparingly. Very heady sandalwood, lemon and vanilla combo that can be extremely nauseating when sprayed too often. Worn in the right way it can be quite pleasant and aromatic, but I would prefer to layer this with something else than wear it on its own.

Strappyshoo
Strappyshoo

I think this is a fragrance that can easily be over-thought. I think it should just be enjoyed for what it is, an uplifting, beautiful sandalwood with enough going on in the background to give it a unique and engaging character. It is an unusual scent with enough personality to stop it becoming predictable which is something I crave in a fragrance. I don't think it is overtly masculine and works on my female chemistry in a beautiful, if slightly unsettling, way, which I love. Excellent longevity, perfect projection. Charming.

Update: I ended up getting rid of this a week later!!!! The top notes were hugely appealing as was the heart but the drydown just didn't work on a girl!!! The leather was too prominent and ended up making me smell like an old man sitting in dirty trousers in a barbershop. You live and learn!!!!

williamvargas
williamvargas

have tested some of this out, this is an outstanding sandalwood fragrance I am enjoying this one quite a bit, elegant comes to mind I can see why all the love on this fragrance, not too heavy though. one I may buy. another sandalwood to check out is the art of shaving's sandalwood cologne ,I don't see it in fragrantica's data base, that is also a marvelous one to consider if you like sandalwood fragrances,
it smells wonderful to me, I think it would wonderful as a splash as well that you apply liberally and not be over the top.. the art of shaving's has more of a classic men's fragrance to me. but both are excellent sandalwoods for my taste.

Xanovia
Xanovia

Ok... After spending quite some time with this fragrance now I am going to attempt to give it what it deserves... This is a hidden gem that many just don't know exists... It is WONDERFUL stuff... I will make a couple comparisons in this little write up... This fragrance to me basically sits shoulder to shoulder between Chanel's Egoiste and Egoiste Cologne Concentree... All 3 scents are very similar and I have all 3 sprayed on me right now... Going back and forth between the three (and a bag of coffee ^_^) think of them like this... Egoiste has way more of a rose feel to it then the other two combined and because of that I feel skews more formal... Geo F Trumper's Sandalwood has this 'freshness' early in the composition that the other two do not possess and has more vanilla in the base then normal Egoiste and because of these two points I feel that while still mature it is by far the easiest to wear... Egoiste Cologne Concentree has more cinnamon early on and this 'dustiness' to it that is hard to explain. Think about the 'dusty' feel you get from L'Air du Desert Marocain and you will understand what I am talking about and it skews even more sophisticated because of this... All 3 are wonderful fragrances and as time goes on they come closer together with Sandalwood and Cologne Concentree becoming the closest to each other by the final drydown... Sniff them all out if you have a chance to find out which you prefer as they are all stunning... 10/10

Redbeard
Redbeard

Finally getting around to this one...a real favorite, though it's a bit of an oddity among sandalwood scents. This one took the throne of Egoiste a while back among my sweet wood scents because it didn't have as much harsh blast at the beginning, and seemed slightly more masculine. It's one of those fragrances where the alcohol fumes cover up the first of the top notes, but then they break through: sharp citrus, dry herbs and spices. (This stage lasts for longer on tissue paper than on my usual cloth, where it's brief enough to be inconsequential.) As that fades, more sweet wood comes into play; it's initially a bit medicinal from the remaining herbs, but becoming warmer and creamier. Here begins the stage that most people refer to: a sublimely smooth, mellow, soothing sandalwood/vanilla mix, just slightly soapy, and without the twangy edge that a lot of straight sandalwoods have. Compared to their other offerings, it lasts for an eternity and stays strong all day. I also agree that it's not that different from their Spanish Leather, which lies between this or Egoiste and a sweet herbal leather like Bel Ami. And if Original Vetiver can be good without having much vetiver, then I won't criticize this one for not being a pure, hard-core sandalwood.

jamdavmiller
jamdavmiller

This is a really warm classic sandalwood. My favorite sandalwood. It is inviting and secure. A confident, not arrogant, man's fragrance.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

A wonderful rainbow array of florals of Rose, Jasmine & carnation that has a dose of vanilla to make it sweeter. It gets woodier in the basenotes.

This is often compared to Egoiste but I think this smells better and is more easier to wear. I find it to be a real laid back fun and colourful scent though it's pretty light on the Sandalwood if you can detect it.

A real pleasure to wear as it smells rich and opulent , I get about five to six hours before it is a skin scent.

All in all a delight!

pianomanmiller
pianomanmiller

This fragrance is one of my little secrets. Woody, creamy, spicy and very original. There has not been I time I have worn it that someone hasn't commented on how great I smell. It is also very long lasting. I can put some on in the morning, wear it all day, take a shower in the evening, and still smell it on my skin. I cannot say enough good stuff about this fragrance.

JohnMc
JohnMc

I have this version of the fragrance classic that is Sandalwood, out of curiosity this afternoon I managed to track down a department store that actually sold 'Egoiste' by Chanel (very rare in the UK). To my astonishment I could not differentiate between the two; their composition being as damn as near-identical as I have ever experienced to date!

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

I work in Jermyn Street and several of my customers came in smelling of this as the Trumper shop is nearby.
I even asked the people smelling of this whether they bought "Egoiste" by CHANEL as it is very very similar.
If comparing the 2, Egoiste is more spicey and pungent in the beginning but dry down is very similar.

Trumper's Sandalwood is more floral due to Jasmine content and allover more rounded and rich.

I think it is also less expensive than CHANEL (but I could be wrong).

I used to love CHANEL's "Egoiste" but I think "Sandalwood" is actually more pleasant and easier to wear.

Dick Turpin Esq
Dick Turpin Esq

Sandalwood. It's so natural for olfactory daydreams of Rudyard Kipling’s armpits to spring to mind. The usual associations we all share of Mr Kipling as editor of the Times of India at the height of the British Raj in the late 1880s; his hands smudged with printing press ink, the stale air around his sweating back and arm pits heavy with an overly sweet and cloying perfume of sandalwood, as his punka-wallah servant chews vanilla pods after munching his oniony saag aloo whilst pulling on a large calico ceiling fan using just two toes of his remaining one leg. Yes, so easy to form such generalisations about sandalwood.

Why then did I decide to part with 43 guineas at Mr Trumpers esteemed barbershop in St. James? In part it was due to something of an epiphany whilst entering the sullen bunker of Tower Hill Underground station on Tuesday at around a quarter past eight in the morning.

A tall swarthy chap with rubber soled leather shoes, an Arsenal football shirt and cheap looking short hair (vainly sculpted into hardened gel spikes), swept past me with an odour that would at the very best be described as reminiscent of an inferior composition of sandalwood (from some dreadful pharmacy body spray that young real estate agents prefer), and at the very worst, should be described as the testicular odour of a boar (a wild pig, if you will) whose pendulous scrotum has been dragged back and forth across the rough bark of the sandalwood tree in an effort to scratch an itch which cannot be appeased with pig's trotters.

Struck by this aggressive testosterone fuelled sandalwood, I immediately froze to the spot as Londoners hurriedly jostled by me like ferrets down a rabbit warren. The reason for my consternation? It occurred to me, with a creeping dread, that I did not own a single sandalwood based cologne.

Thus the following Friday, I resolutely resolved to obtain said cologne from Trumpers (whilst picking up a tube of rose shaving cream for my imminent holiday in Tobago). I sprayed the back of my hand in the boutique and with my voice cracking in urgency, I confirmed my intention to purchase a small atomizer of it.

For the entire journey home on the underground, ignoring the bizarre looks of fellow passengers, I repeatedly raised my hand to my nose and deeply inhaled the powdery arboreal scent like a man sucking in oxygen on Mount Everest and mumbled aloud my thoughts on its composition: “floating notes of carnation …and jasmine plucking the strings of the sandalwood like a cello, the vanilla dancing…. only to quietly fade… into the embracing petals of the rose”.

This was indeed just as Mr Trumper promised on his packaging, a superior cologne from a place called “Mysore” (wherever on earth that is in India, probably a high end department store for high-net-worth upper-caste Brahmins without an outcast in sight).

Immediately I was transported to the Kiplinesque Story of “The Man who would be King”, a tale of India, Afghanistan and Kafirestan where Peachy Carnehan and Daniel Dravott set out to be Kings in the days of Queen Victoria and the British Empire – immortalized in John Huston’s classic Movie from 1974 starring Connery and Caine.

So there I was, smouldering with sandalwood, sauntering around like a British Sargeant Major of the Raj, a King amongst commoners. That night, alone as usual, I ordered a home delivery from the Bengal Clipper, and as I opened my door, the waft of chicken madras and pappadoms greeted me. I was suitably Victorian in my sandalwood inspired British tones as I demanded to know from the delivery boy on my doorstep as to when the Tiger hunting season was to begin, before sending him away with a harsh word and a cuff around the head and certainly without a tip.

Ahhhhhh….dining alone. Warm sensual Sandalwood and an imperious cold uptight arrogant manner – Hoorah! Another first for Britain!

The most sophisticated cologne I have found in years. Women love it!! It will last all day without losing the aroma, but it is not over powering. A strong reminder of a more gentil time, when the sun never set on the British Empire. The heady scent of India and foreign places.

dacha
dacha

Oh to be a proper gent, the suit, the office, the long boozy lunch, the golf course. A happy confident man with a glint in his eyes.
Ok it's more about the cedar than the sandalwood but then it's also more about style and confidence than the sandalwood too. For men that don't have to prove a damn thing :)

jeca
jeca

Sophisticated and airy aromatic with light woody tones, not balmy-sweet as I expected. Can be used as unisex.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Geo. F. Trumper Sandalwood Cologne fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Geo. F. Trumper Sandalwood Cologne, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sandalwood Cologne by Geo. F. Trumper. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sandalwood Cologne by Geo. F. Trumper represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.