Designers » F-H » Woody Spicy « Groups

Bowling Green Geoffrey Beene for men

Bowling Green Geoffrey Beene for men
dislike

herbal

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene is a Woody Spicy fragrance for men. Bowling Green was launched in 1986. Top notes are orange, , juniper berries, fruity notes, basil, cloves, vetiver, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are nutmeg, artemisia, cinnamon, lavender, jasmine, lemon verbena, oakmoss, sage, pine tree needles and cardamom; base notes are rosemary, coriander, sandalwood, fir, amber, patchouli, oakmoss, cedar, brazilian rosewood and geranium.

Orange Juniper Berries Fruity Notes Basil Cloves Vetiver Bergamot Lemon

Nutmeg Artemisia Cinnamon Lavender Jasmine Lemon Verbena Oakmoss Sage Pine Tree Needles Cardamom

Rosemary Coriander Sandalwood Fir Amber Patchouli Oakmoss Cedar Brazilian Rosewood Geranium

Cover Drive
Eau de Campagne

Bowling Green Fragrance Reviews

johnnyz
johnnyz

This is a great fragrance...it takes me back to 9th grade (1987 for me)...a buddy of mine wore this and I had to get my own bottle...Along with WALL STREET by VICTOR (which oddly enough is NOWHERE to be found here...)...Again, great fresh scent and best for Fall or Winter..

jpatrick43
jpatrick43

Always my favorite--yes Grey is OK but Bowling Green is best. I always received complements on my cologne. Why did you stop making such a great product. Geffeory Beene (sp) I beg you to bring it back. I was able to purchase 2 2.oz bottles wear on special occasions but won't last forever. Bowling is so much better than Grey.

MrStinky
MrStinky

Wow, I wish Geoffrey Beene kept this & discontinued Grey Flannel!!!

This is a great one.

I came across a sample in my recently rediscovered treasure trove of 80's cologne samples. I always made the mistake of never giving it enough time. A sniff out of the bottle was always somewhat appealing & when first appplied it always seemed to give me an all too warm blast of what I guess is a combination of the cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, & patchoulli.

But today was different...I let it sit a little longer. After about 10 minutes I began noticing the lemon, more of the green, and the pine. Yes! This is REALLY nice. Really, really nice.
Somewhat casual, a little dressy but not too formal. It's very dignified, unmistakably masculine.

Please bring it back.

Scout
Scout

My very first long-term boyfriend wore this. He was energetic and spunky and creative, and this suited his chemistry and personality. It was also clean and inoffensive and I was never afraid to bring him around friends or family unlike so many others who bathed in Drakkar or some other ungodly slut juice. Wish it would come back. Would be nice to smell this in a board room now and again.

Redbeard
Redbeard

It is true that the very top notes have something in common with Drakkar Noir, but Bowling Green is, first and foremost, green. It's a slightly stilted name, but actually quite perfect when I think about it. The top is sharply citrusy and the base gets leafy with a little sweet spice: sort of an evolution from a vivid yellowish-green to a brown-tinged forest green. Just about every stage of it is pleasant and I don't think many people would find fault at all, which in and of itself is an accomplishment. I don't know why they discontinued it (or did they?); I think it may have been their best because it seems so much more universal in its appeal than Grey Flannel, and Eau de GF is cheap and dull. I feel like you could wear a big dose of this at the office (as I once did by accident) and be perfectly fine, or so my female coworker seemed to think.

evilspin
evilspin

This is very lemon,l lavender and green. Not bad, nice day wear and strong. very 80's gentlemen smell too. I never see this ANYWHERE! I got it at Navarro here in Miami. Got it cause I used to like Grey Flannel and didnt know Beene had a fragrance called Bowling Green. Anyway if you cant find this and want it...this is pretty much an exact copy of Colors of Benetton. Except this lasts longer.

I have the EA version and have never tried the original. I was concerned because so many reformulations of "classics" have been huge disappointments. This one may not be as strong as the vintage version but I don't detect anything "wrong" with it. Basically, it's a lemony/spicy/herbal/woody fragrance, aromatic and dry. It's similar to Montana Parfum d'Homme ("red box"), except that the Montana has a strong fougere accord and leather/amber in the base (so the wood is not as obvious as it is in BG). Over time, BG takes on a bit of a powdery quality and weakens, but retains the dominant lemon, spice, herbs, and wood notes. The jasmine softens it all up a little but never comes to the fore. There is no animalic quality and it's not sweet. Though not as dynamic or original as Homme de Gres, which is along the same lines (not spicy, though), it's quite pleasant and bright.

UPDATE: I just got some of the vintage and did a dab sampling. The liquid is a fairly strong yellow color, unlike the photo above. I can't detect any major differences. It may have a better or stronger rosewood note but I certainly don't understand the idea that the reformulation is terrible. I wish those who made such claims could explain exactly what they think the differences are.

krmarich
krmarich

It was 26 years ago this summer that I first seen an ad in Interview magazine for Bowling Green. I immediately rushed out to my local mall and picked up a bottle for about $15. USDs. Grey Flannel was great in colder weather, yet this wore perfectly well in the hot summer sun.

Looking at all of those spices, this seems impossible in the heat, right? Its just the opposite. These are all fresh spices with fresh pine notes, like the aroma they give in May. Yes, there is a little honeysuckle here thats not listed. The effect is like sitting under tall pines, sipping lemonade near a fragrant herb garden on a hot summer afternoon. Its a very relaxed, casual daydreamers signature. Its somewhat dark. Hey, it was 1986 and everything had so many notes, even the warm weather marvels.

I was able to find a vintage bottle made in Miami from Geoffrey Beene Parfums. The packaging is original and fun to hold in your hand. Ah, what an age of innocence for the USA...

Then enter EA Fragrance with is mangled reformlation that sold like burn, moldy hotcakes. Its currently OOP. They were successful with Gray Flannel and Giorgio Beverly Hills. Why couldnt they get this one right? For a company that large, they should be able to try it again. This is a piece of Americana that deserves to be on the market again.

update 12/08/2012 the EA reformulation uses too many synthetic ingredients. Therefore its a chemical mishmash.

sailingsam
sailingsam

Love it..but discontinued...why?

prot72
prot72

Nice, good, classical cologne prepared in different way. Take lemon and scratch it more, and more, and more. Than mix it with winter wine spices. Add a little fir balsam and you have Christmas aura… this is exactly how the Bowling Green smells. I adore this fragrance a lot. It is not conventional still classical man perfume. The beginning lemon disappears after few minutes but the spices and coniferous woods stay for hours. In my opinion it is perfect to enjoy winter during the summer days – strange? – not at all. Sometimes it is good to seat and go back in your memory... to remind yourself nice moment from the warm Christmas Eve.

stinkerweed
stinkerweed

Wore this during the 1990s. Apparently my daughters remember this scent as one I wore a lot. My youngest daughter bought me some Caswell Massey No. Six and told me it reminder her of how I smelled when she was a teenager. Since I never wore CM#6 then, it must have been the Bowling Green.

Longevity is good, much like Grey Flannel. The citrus notes remain strong on me, even later in the day. It is especially nice when the sandalwood blossoms through and supports the citrus/spice elements. A great choice when you want a fresh/clean scent - but don't want to smell like Pine Sol or Mr. Clean all day!

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I've seen it described as "bright", and "cheerful", but those aren't the adjectives I'd use when referring to Bowling Green. It smells much darker than I expected. The opening volley of basil, juniper, and bergamot is very dry, bitter, herbal. It's like shade in the woods. Eventually the lemon appears, complimented by distinct notes of artemisia, pine, vetiver, and cedar. The rapid drydown brings a heavier dose of cedar, a smoother evergreen note (evidently the fir), and rosemary. I'd like it more were it not for the cedar, which is quite pronounced here, and as is often the case with cedar, it darkens the scent considerably. Also, the basil on top is a bit too vibrant and realistic, and verges on overdose. There's fifteen minutes with Bowling Green where I feel like I shook the entire contents of a kitchen spice on my arm. Despite the demerits, Bowling Green is a unique, interesting green masculine. It's very rugged and manly, but not in a cliched way. I recommend trying it.

I bought Bowling Green for 10$ at a discount store. I never smelled it before and I just took it as I love Grey Flannel. What a surprise. It has a shiny / transparent opening with sparkling green notes, lemon and lavander (i also get juniper somewhere). After that it stays linear for quite a while to turn in the very end into a bloder spicy-woody-citrusy drydown (tones of cedarwood, be advised). This scent is quite intense, has a nice projection and some lasting power. Nothing really exceptional and for a few aspects it runs on the edge of cheapness but it smells definitely good and it's perfect for spring-summer time. Very Nice!

Rating: 7-7.5/10

PieRat
PieRat

Love this scent. I got lucky and found 3 cologne/aftershave sets at a local discount store on closeout! Anyway this is the green drakkar noir. The more I wear it and smell it the more I am reminded of drakkar, but in a green way.

guest_Glasseye
guest_Glasseye

I have used Bowling Green for at least 25 years and I love it.
Sadly, I am looking for a replacement, in that, it is very hard to find.

instantjim
instantjim

This is the second Geoffrey Beene fragrance I have: my first being Grey Flannel. Since it is not available in my country I bought it blind on the strength of the quality of Grey Flannel and the reviews here at Fragrantica. I am glad I did.

Bowling Green is a masterful piece of perfumery. For me it is the definitively green fragrance. The spices, lemon, woody notes and artemisia are most predominant to me.

Even though it starts off sharp, it has a rich fruitiness, which is more than just lemon: it has a real depth.

As it develops on the skin and the fruitiness ebbs away the spices and woody notes predominate. What is fantastic about this fragrance is that the woodiness is not two dimensional. Its not just pine and as such is a much more sophisticated scent that something like Pino Silvestre. The use of lemon verbena means that the lemony notes continue much longer than with fragrances using just lemon itself.

The vast array of notes make its transition smooth from the rich fruity start to the rich woody/spicy heart. Artemisia and oakmoss underpin this transition and almost work like a scaffolding on which the other notes are supported.

It lasts for a long time and has a very robust sillage.

Towards the end it still has a lot of character, and while it is more subtle than earlier in its life, it is still woody, with diverse notes.

It is a pity this is discontinued.

ausamamira
ausamamira

a well done fragrance but you can easily tell it is old school .... i like it but i prefer more modern ones .....

RobbieX
RobbieX

This a lovely lemony, lavender, clove, patchouli, frag, and a soapy clean smell, a really nice men's fragrance and, it grows on you. I would class this as a woody citrus and is better than Chanel Pour Monsieur. It even gives Monsieur Balmain a run for its money! Bowling Green is one of the best woody citruses in the world!!

ZeeK
ZeeK

“Bowling Green” is magnificently a classic composition with individuality yet modern & masculine, bears personality, solid contender to any latest (& childish) fruity-fresh fragrance offerings. Very clean, sharp and fresh fragrance that starts with an intense citrus-fruity blast that calms down to a moderate woody aroma with the hint of spices.

flannelman
flannelman

Bowling Green may have been discontinued but it's still easy to find. This woody spicy fragrance opens very sharply with a blast of fresh citrus notes accompanied by juniper berries and a little hint of pimento which you will notice and wonder about if you haven't read the notes list before trying the perfume. The heart is spicy, and the transition to the middle notes is fairly smooth. Most noticeable for me are notes of nutmeg, lemon verbena and cardamom. Then, you are whisked off to a fragrant pine forest until the base notes start to establish themselves. There are still quite a few woody notes, albeit a bit more mellow: sandalwood, rosewood among others, backed up with classic notes of amber and patchouli. The drydown is delightful, and the longevity is great. A great fragrance, masculine and refined and definitely worth trying.

fqjcior
fqjcior

Very nice frag and very rare. Actually it's discontinued but you can catch it for a nice price on eBay. Absolutely straight in your face lemony beginning (like nothing else!), which changes during hours to woody, VERY masculine notes. I would call it a classic cologne-like scent for man but with it's own strong personality that makes it different from other ones. And the longevity is brilliant.

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene 4.11 out of 5 based on 94 ratings and 21 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.