Designers » F-H » Woody « Groups

Eau de Grey Flannel Geoffrey Beene for men

Eau de Grey Flannel Geoffrey Beene for men
dislike

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene is a Woody fragrance for men. Eau de Grey Flannel was launched in 1997. Top notes are cypress, mandarin orange, star anise, caraway, cedar and lemon; middle notes are eucalyptus, patchouli, lavender and clary sage; base notes are sandalwood, musk and vetiver.

Cypress Mandarin Orange Star Anise Caraway Cedar Lemon

Eucalyptus Patchouli Lavender Clary Sage

Sandalwood Musk Vetiver

Blue Rush Intense

Eau de Grey Flannel Fragrance Reviews

djbethell
djbethell

Grey Flannel Jnr, this most certainly is not.
I bought this as a big, big fan of Grey Flannel, but was so very disappointed. It's a mild, aqua beach breeze kind of scent that doesn't hold up to any real scrutiny.
Why the Grey Flannel name-sake? Your guess is as good as mine as it has nothing to do with it's big, bold and beautiful father.
Skip this as a completely generic scent, but not one that catches the nose at all. If anything this is a pretty weak Davidoff Cool Water younger bro'.
Leave it on the shelf.

TonyAKAMrClean
TonyAKAMrClean

This used to be my favorite when I was a teenager. Best worn on a humid and cool but not cold fall day, especially under a sweatshirt with jeans. For the record, I'm not just saying that for the imagery, I'm literally saying that because the scent changes in beautiful ways when worn under a sweatshirt on your neck/chest and wrists during cool humid weather. It lasts longer, and you really get this unique scent that's like a stronger, sportier, cooler, more citrus/green floral version of the final dry down of Versace Pour Homme.

This scent is very similar to Nautica Voyage to me, so if you're a fan of that, which I know many people here are, then you'll absolutely find something to love about this scent.

Mistermac
Mistermac

I call this my poor man's Green Irish Tweed. I have both and there is a difference but in my opinion, Grey Flannel is a fresh easy spray and go summer juice.

no-fi
no-fi

Sour, linear and synthetic. I can't believe this doesn't have calone in the note pyramid because that's the main note I get. I also don't understand how anyone could think this is a fresh or clean scent - to me, it's nauseating. The only upside is I blind bought this for very little, so I've hardly wasted a small fortune. I'll try to sell it, but can't imagine anyone would want to buy it. You live and learn, I guess.

Sleepalm
Sleepalm

And now I'm disappointed. Just like that I sprayed it and "oh hey, is that citrus and wood in the top? That's cool." and by the time I recognized what it was it dissipated. In it's place came a oddly 90's aquatic, soapy kind of smell, like I just sprayed something made by a sporting good company. It's not bad but it went from promising to "meh" in record time.

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

One of the first bottles I purchased recently when my perfume addiction activated. Cost was amazing for 1.7 oz. Problem was I couldn't smell it. Get better sense of it now. It helped me understand where my tastes lie .. far from the light and fresh and definitely in the powerhouse zone. Place this low on the totem pole. It sits with Playboy Vegas in my bath to freshen it. Not really hating on it. Mild disappointment but so was Sean Jean Unforgivable. Just not my type. Think a much more virile scent can be found for similar price at same quantity. Heck, Many women fumes now can be bought for a better deal/offering that can be unisex. My suggestion? Pass and try harder to find something better .. won't take long.

iconoclast

Revisited this just today in cooler weather (10c)...and its performance is markedly improved over summer/hot weather use - i.e. you can actually notice its presence for a few hours, and it smells very fresh (and safe) and not too bad. Also I still retain a strange attraction to its minimalist presentation with that clean bottle design and crisp aquamarine hued liquid.

briannyc94
briannyc94

After testing this one out I'm not carried away. This is not the best fragrance to wear when you want to wear a fragrance, make any sense? This is a cologne to wear just to freshen up like after a shower at night or also a great gym or keep in the car scent.The scent itself smells similar to azzaro's chrome, but a little more soapy in my opinion. A very blue and late 90s scent but I actually like it. You can bathe in this stuff without someone getting irritated.

Kentington
Kentington

This is another scent pyramid that doesn't make any sense to me - this is so aquatic I don't understand how it could possibly be missing Calone on the pyramid - or at least "ocean notes." Then again, I could possibly be confusing "oceanic" with "watered down," which this unquestionably is. Wimpy, generic, blue scent for guys who like the idea of wearing fragrances without actually putting on something strong enough to smell.

fomlhaut
fomlhaut

I've just tested this from a sample gift vial.

The opening is good, but very generic. It's fresh, soft and airy. Then it fades into something which is not bad but I cannot clearly identify. Definitely, it does not stand out.

The smell is nice, but very soft and light. The worse part is its very poor sillage (5cm?) and disappointing longevity.

Madholm
Madholm

Blind buy, accidental purchase. Didn't take the time to read the label at a discount store and purchased for $12 thinking it was grey flannel which I had never tried, but wanted to for just $12... Finally tried grey flannel this is better.

Needless to say I didn't return it after I realized I'd purchased the wrong one (it is summer after all), but I'm not impressed by it. I enjoy the scent which is just aquatic and lavender on me (no wood), but it sits right on top of my skin and lasts for only 2 hours. So while it does smell fresh and clean to me it just isn't something I'd try to wear away from the house. It will get used on the weekend mornings before going out to work in the yard or after a late evening shower before bed where I can enjoy it's clean fresh lavender scent and wear something better for away from home.

Like others have said, it's more of an air freshener or body spray than an EDT. Keep that in mind if you decide to purchase; it does not have depth and it does not last or project. So it was an initial dislike for me, but it's far from offensive as I do use it when at home; really it's more of a neutral (which should be an option).

Edit - I think A LOT of the negative written reviews are referencing the original Grey Flannel so I'd suggest ignoring the ones that don't describe the fragrance at all.

Shoota#1
Shoota#1

Blind buy as a gift for me. Not bad I tried this and I received a few compliments. Definitely barbershop fresh. Reminds me of a hot soapy lather.

mildspicej17u55l
mildspicej17u55l

This is just very average at best. Nothing special. Just your typical smelling sports cologne. There is a note in this that dosent quite jive with me. Its allot better than the original grey flannel which is pretty disgusting. This is not something I would really be interested in buying again when I run out if I run out.

streetmachine
streetmachine

Barf!
Worse than a litter box cover up scent
Maybe i got a bunk bottle

Saransh101089
Saransh101089

Scent: Generic but not bad. Good actually.
Citrus, Floral, Soapy, Fresh.

Longevity: OK for a summer scent.(4-5 hours)

Projection: Moderate.

Overall a good one for the price. Generic and would not offend anyone.
Works wonders in hot climate. You might get some compliments as well. :)

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I'm changing my mind on Eau de Grey Flannel. Originally I thought this was a cheap, watery aquatic, sharing nothing in common with Grey Flannel. Today, wearing it in cooler temps (as opposed to smoldering heat, like last time), I find EdGF to be a different animal altogether. It does open with a somewhat citrusy-lavender-dihydromyrcenol accord, a kind of bitter grapefruit-like thing, with the same dry woodiness found in the original, except pared down a good bit (you don't get anything close to the vegetal galbanum explosion of Grey Flannel).

Then the fizzy freshness settles into a clean, transparent violet note, not a million miles away from the violet effect in Grey Flannel. Where the original has noticeable coumarin, this "Lite" flanker seems more dependent on naked ionones for its sweetness. They're accented with soft woody notes of cypress and cedar, which lend the composition some depth and staying power. The gradual diffusion of dihydromyrcenol reinforces this fragrance's freshness, and adds to the feeling of watery violet leaf, conjoined with the violet.

I think of this as a very direct, modern violet fragrance, with some nineties-styled deodorant freshness - a strange proposition for a masculine, but somehow it works. It's not as good as Grey Flannel, not by a long shot, and I think the liquid should be purple instead of blue (this is not an aquatic, and the blue seems to throw people off), but it's definitely a legitimate option for a guy who needs something inoffensive, innocuous, and unconventional. Also it is totally unisex, so ladies, try Eau de Grey Flannel, you might enjoy the violet note, and it may even work better on you than on your boyfriends.

Cire
Cire

Just came in a few days ago in the stead of the original of which I was terribly shocked and disappointed till I opened it. Talk of walking out of the shower or bath, you got that in this bottle. It is fresh, clean and crisp and sticks to the skin quite well too.

A home frag, been dousing myself in it every 3-4hrs for that spotless feel factor & it ain't a screamer.

I'll have to get the original though cause I love an old gold monster every now and again.

Time to refresh,.,...,.

I have come to notice an almost identical resemblance Halston 1-12, another classic if not better due to the longevity and projection over this one but extremely close indeed.

Redbeard
Redbeard

I'd be hard pressed to think of a sillier name for a cologne. It's a cheap, somewhat citrusy laundry-aquatic and at least to me bears no resemblance to Grey Flannel. The top smells kind of like a bottle of grapefruity Suave body wash that I liked and was just finishing when I bought the EdGF, so that used to hook me, but then after a few minutes it changes to something weak and drab. There's a metallic aspect to it but not as well done as in Chrome, so it's kind of a weak Chrome knockoff. What I don't like about low-end aquatics like this is that they all make the same very artificial attempt at a leathery drydown, which I always think of as The Ass-Leather Note. If I spray double the usual I can get a residual smell to last for a few hours, but it's just a boring facsimile of soapy-shower-smell. Otherwise it's gone pretty quickly.

word-doctor
word-doctor

This was an accidental purchase. I was looking for GF, standard edition and couldn't read the "Eau" because everything was so security-boxed. Well, it WAS only about ten bucks. And it IS the cusp of summer on the Gulf Coast, so I decided to try it.

This scent is also an accident. Like someone accidentally thinned out a regular cologne and decided to sell it anyway. I get a little citrus that lasts for 10 minutes, then a slightly sweet soapy accord that lasts for less than an hour. Does not project beyond a couple of inches on me, even with a heavy application. This is being donated to the thrift store along with several other ubercheap blind-buys.

Scent: 1
Sillage: 1
Longevity: 0

Ali76
Ali76

I saw someone mentioning here that it smells like bubble gum. Not only that, on me, a synthetic effect as well with poor projection. Disappointed, I offered my wife to try it on her, and mannnn this thing actually started talking as soon as she splashed. So fresh and aromatic with wonderful projection, I could smell every major note in this woody aromatic beauty on her.

A classic example of different reaction of fragrances on different skin chemistries. I am happy that it is worth every penny, even if not for myself as many of the renowned fragrances are unable to work their magic on my complex skin anyway.

Thatkid
Thatkid

I remember really enjoying this. My adopted grandpa had this and I remember spraying this and really loving it. Must make sure my brothers and boyfriend wear this.

jacobbonilla
jacobbonilla

Wow after reading reviews this one sounds like you love it or hate it. personally I hate it, smells very cheap and synthetic on my skin. Sorry but, you couldn't pay me to wear it.

aucffan1
aucffan1

Very dissapointed after owning and using regular Grey Flannel for 30 years I bling bought this..

Not bad but too weak.. I can't smell anything..

bkblan
bkblan

I'm sorry, but I had to look this up to see what the notes are, because I dated a guy in college that wore this and I felt like gagging. Luckily we broke up before I had to tell him to take a shower!
There is evidently some note that does not agree with my sniffer!

drummerboy1986

i agree with paul hunter on this one great generic gym scent....

tastetherainbow87
tastetherainbow87

Read a lot of reviews bout this I much say I would like to buy this one

paulhunter
paulhunter

I've finally made up my mind about this one: it smells like an Axe body wash but without the spiciness. It's very bland, generic, boring, and simple. I'll use it during the cross country season after workouts/showers because no one will be offended by it and honestly it's just a body spray in a glass bottle. I don't like or dislike it, it's just meh and I need to finish my ginormous bottle x(

James Lewis
James Lewis

Smell much better then the original Grey Flannel.This is a good summer fragrance.

awitherspoonii
awitherspoonii

ove this stuff plus it looks good enough to drink lol, it smeels amazing It was also a blind buy i heard that the longevity wasn't good and it really isn't :( thats the only downside but i still spray it plus for the price its so so very worth it

fidyanza

officially same to echo dunhill.. love it!~~ my sis also give the exact same opinion..so strong if u snift at the bottle, i suggest u guys try it on ur skin, if ur skin +vely react to the scent then there u go..perfecto!~ :)

evilspin
evilspin

When I was a pre teen I liked the original Grey Flannel because it was different & the Violet and wool feel lends its uniqueness. Unfortunately it is too recognizable and very 80's esque that it doesnt hold with the rest of the classics like lets say Fahrenheit? I bet if it didnt exist and Tom Ford had released a fragrance called Grey Flannel as one of their private blends series it would be a hit because GF has that strong woodsy unisex dark mossy not for everybody scent that Tom Ford has in his private blend series. Would be great if Grey Flannel gets a reformulation and have bottle and notes get a complete makeover revitalizing its unique violet/vetiver notes like they did with Dior Homme. This Eau de GF is not as popular and noticeable as Grey Flannel's unique but "not for all" signature scent. Eau de GF is NOT an alternative take to Grey Flannel. In fact it should have had its own name as a stand alone Geoffrey Beene fragrance. That is possibly why Eau de GF didnt do as well. This should have been Grey Flannel sport. But even at that, this has no notes except for vetiver from the orginal GF. This is more of a sport, citrus, aquatic nautic clean fresh scent. Along the lines of a, "just showered, after shave clean cut guy" type of way. Of course it does not smell like a fashion house scent or a "break-neck, "all notice me" scent. I have again picked up the original GF and man what happened...it stinks! Not sure if I have out grown it or i had a bad batch since it is an old frangrance and at wholesale priced stores like Ross/Marshalls/Navarro but I quickly have GF in my bad list. Its a shame, I remember how unique this was and I remember it smelling more Violet and smooth instead of now which smells synthetic and like bugspray. They may have gone bad and I dont think it would be easy to find good batches out there since these fragrances are pretty much forgotten & must have the juices going bad being stocked somewhere. If you like Axe scents...this version of Eau de GF is like a cologne version of Axe products.

fidyanza

I cant wait to receive my order!! I hope this fragrance suite to my honey and wont dissapointed me~ will update my opinion later.. :)

iconoclast

I recently bought a small bottle of this blindly on the back of my adoration of the original Grey Flannel. I needn’t have bothered as EdGF turned out to be a crushing disappointment. Fresh & clean? Yes. Interesting? Absolutely not. This is as boring as the original is intriguing. An emaciated medicinal-metallic smell that's instantly forgettable and adds nothing to the genre of aquatics, let alone to men's fragrances in general. It can’t even be saved by its wonderfully minimalistic presentation (bottle, blue liquid, cloth pouch, etc.). Poor longevity too - 3 hours tops on my skin. I would say it’s hardly worthy of the Grey Flannel name, and is probably surpassed by a myriad of aquatics of which Chrome Legend is still the current king of the crop for me.

smellgoodhallie
smellgoodhallie

Can I be honest? This fragrance makes me gag everytime I smell it. I can not stand this smell & I get upset when people ask to smell it because it's bad news for me! I guess back in the day it was cool but now it is just time to give it back & never spray it again.

mahadewi
mahadewi

This is a great scent and for a great price! I was pleasantly surprised how nice it smells considering how cheap it was!I purchased it for my dad (in his mid 50s) as a father's day gift. Despite the fact he almost never wears cologne/perfume, I knew that this scent was conservative and casual enough that it is something he wouldn't mind wearing occassionally. On the other hand my 29 year old husband who is quite fashionable and wears cologne everyday also said that he liked it and wanted it too! So overall I think this is a fantastic everday scent and suitable for men of any age.

greystone
greystone

This version of Flannel is woodsy,fresh and wearable for everyday usage.I love this scent.This is a very fresh scent,yet has a woodsy kick that makes it good for evening or day wear.Lasts along time as well.Eau De Grey Flannel is one of my favorites.

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

Got this from TJ Maxx for some peanuts plus tax. I blind purchased this due to a reviewer on youtube that I respect. Let me tell you, for the price and the quality of the juice I don't think he hyped it up enough. I think I am going to buy at least another bottle if not two. I wish I could find it in more than a 4.2.

What this smells like on intial spray and top is a woodsy lemon. It is a bit metallic but more citrusy for me. At about the 2 or 3rd hour it becomes floral and soapy with hints of wood and just a little bit of citrus there. Some have said it smells like Rocky Mountain deodarant but I think it is more like a really nice male shower gel with hints of citrus in it. I get around 4 hours per 5 sprays so you will have to refresh but for 9.99 plus tax who cares. Especially with a 4.2. You can spray this 3 times a day and still felt that you robbed the store you purchased it from.

Because of the price and the scent I can't give this anything less than a 5/5. Sillage is good for the first couple of hours, projection is good during the first couple of hours and the longevity on skin is about 5 hours. But again if we are looking at overall value 9.99 then you are getting a steal. Especially if you compare this to Mugler or Original Vetiver (the scent isn't as classy but just as good to the common nose).

Don't try this, don't walk pass this, buy it at first sight. It is a good everyday scent when you just feel like blending in yet you will be noticed and people will say you smell nice. Perfect for the office.

babybash44
babybash44

I totally see the resemblence to Fierce! I got this for ten dollars at TJ Maxx and I really like it. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it's still nice. In my opinion, there's something a little heavy or maybe metallic about the fragrance, and although it's called EAU (water) de Grey Flannel, I would just give it a different name entirely. It can be worn all seasons, and something fruity comes out on my skin in the Summer. I have to disagree with another reviewer, it doesn't smell like its' color to me at all. If I were to give this a name, it would be pH Modern, and it would come in a silver bottle. I dunno, that's just my weird little opinion. It's great for ten dollars though, and the woods notes are great!

twlahue
twlahue

Smells like it belongs in the family with Platinum Egoiste and A&F Fierce. Not as strong as Egoiste and brighter and fresher than Fierce. For $10 at TJ Maxx, that is a pretty good family to be in.

This sits pretty close to the skin. It is not a loud scent.

siririschmoos
siririschmoos

It is hard to explain this cologne when you are still new to the whole fragrance scene like I am.

I don't know if this helps any but the color of the liquid in the bottle is sorta like what the cologne smell like. It is not cheap smelling, I don't think it smells like detergent.

Beautiful and it smells way above its price range. It smells like a very concentrated floral bouquet but in a non-feminine variant. You will stand apart from others at the party, and depending on the party guest list you might stand above the other colognes!

RobbieX
RobbieX

This is nothing like the classic Grey Flannel but it is a good one! It has character too. This is a woody/fresh fragrance. I can smell a mint note in the opening. It's nice, soft and pleasant with decent sillage and longevity. Drydown is a soft sweet vetiver. It's very pleasant

ausamamira
ausamamira

It represents four words to me lemony-fresh soapy-clean .....very good considering the price

by the way longivity is satisfying to me ;)

BIG
BIG

on my skin it turns into a fresh sweet, slightly woody scent.

jimmywinters
jimmywinters

The father of this scent (so to speak) the original Grey Flannel I own. It is my least favorite but I am willing to try this scent since the reviews seem to suggest this is the better of the two. Although I am not going out of my way to try or buy this fragrance, I am keeping a open mind. So once I do try it, I am hoping it is an improvement over the original.

flem
flem

Smells the way that you would think of modern to smell like if you were back in the 90's. It's fresh and a bit predictable, but for the price it's exceptional. It's about as sporty as a fragrance can get. Reminds me of Swiss Army a bit as well.

guest_Chucky
guest_Chucky

Just bought a bottle and was immediately captivated by it. I'm still surprised that it's popularly priced and yet really nice.

ZeeK
ZeeK

NOTE: this is not a light version nor summer variation or versioning and there is no any sort of resemblance with the original GREY FLANNEL.

Here I agree with tommy_girl... I found this quite resembled to AXE SHOCK deodorant but Eau De Grey Flannel has a character + maturity in the composition as it develops with olfactory pyramid construction for which a deodorant is not capable of.

It’s not something extra-ordinary but if you want to have something cool, refreshing and joyful occasionally then it’s a must have (For me it is).

I ranked GEOFFREY BEENE as below:
RANK 1: GREY FLANNEL
RANK 2: BOWLING GREEN
RANK 3: EAU DE GREY FLANNEL

But overall they all fall under A+ and A not below!

I believe this fragrance is underrated.this is exactly the kind of cologne I like in a man.it's manly,without being overwhelming with it's male power nor being too sharp to the nose.it's very fresh at the same time.
to me the fresh notes are the only recognizable part of it.it reminds me a guy who's just came out of shower and who smells incredibly aquatic.so it's obvious that some cheaper colognes or deodorants may smell the similar way.but personally,I get some similarities with kenzo l'eau par.
I've never smelles the original grey flannel,so I can't compare them.but since "eau" perfumes are lighter,I think this one smells righter and better to my sensitive nose.

CaraMia
CaraMia

Eau de Grey Flannel is not to be confused with the original oakmoss paradise with which it shares part of its name.

This one is neither green nor mossy but focuses on the anise in the opening and the herbal heart. The only thing it has in common with its namessake is the vetiver in the base, and even that is not enough to make it seem like a logical fragrance flanker.

Eau should have been given its own name and marketing plan. Those looking for diet Grey Flannel, like me, will be disappointed and the scent would have probably done better on its own. At least it would have not suffered from the comparison to the real GF.

couldn't help but agree

star10
star10

although it's in the woody category,I think it's aquatic too.the citrus sense and the sexy pocket!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Geoffrey Beene Eau de Grey Flannel fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Geoffrey Beene Eau de Grey Flannel, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.