Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

Grey Flannel Geoffrey Beene for men

Grey Flannel Geoffrey Beene for men
dislike

I have it: 1320 I had it: 507 I want it: 349 My signature: 15

Grey Flannel Geoffrey Beene for men Pictures Grey Flannel Geoffrey Beene for men Pictures

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene is a Oriental Woody fragrance for men. Grey Flannel was launched in 1975. The nose behind this fragrance is Andre Fromentin. Top notes are galbanum, neroli, petitgrain, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are mimosa, iris, violet, sage, rose, geranium and narcissus; base notes are tonka bean, almond, oakmoss, vetiver and cedar.

Galbanum Neroli Petitgrain Bergamot Lemon

Myths Woman

Grey Flannel Fragrance Reviews

glossophile
glossophile

This is the height of nostalgia for me. When I was a boy at the end of the '70s, a hug from my late father would envelop me in a cloud of two distinct smells: the Certs mints he always chewed to ward off smoker's breath, and Grey Flannel, his go-to cologne before he discovered Aramis. And while it's almost certainly been reformulated thanks to its oakmoss content, it's close enough that a little spritz brings back lots of happy memories of that long-gone childhood...

It's a perfect green scent for warmer weather, especially if, like me, you're skeptical of citrus and aquatic notes. I note very little citrus here as the floral/mossy notes seem to dominate. There's also a fresh, almost watery-but-not-aquatic (if that makes any sense at all) note that I can't place, something I haven't yet found in my other green scents. Five or six sprays are enough to get me a good six hours of arms-length projection.

Definitely a nostalgia trip for us older gents but something every man should try once per lifetime!

Henriette
Henriette

One of the most classic male fragrances and yet so beautiful for a woman too.
Its opening is a sharp green breeze tamed by a shy violet that rounds the edge and gives a new direction to what would have otherwise been just another lovely men's perfume.
It becomes deeper and deeper as time goes by and as the greenery melts with other flowers (I am sure a little jasmine is among them even if not listed).
It's been a huge success for years and very deservingly so, true, reformulation has changed it, but all in all damages have been limited.
As I said I like it as a feminine scent because of its bitter character which reminds me - not in the fragrance but in the concept - another great feminine scent from the past, Cabochard. Grey Flannel is aromatic, woodsy, meditative and yet light and informal.
You wonder why it's so cheap but you wonder not for long as it's a bonus to enjoy without questioning too much.
I like it today, on a early spring Saturday, when winter is going to say goodbye and spring ready to replace it.
BEAUTIFUL

s kant
s kant

A most wonderful fragrance and an excellent brgain with its cost even today.One can call it poor man"s montale.
This a marvelously balanced fragrance with very noticeable notes of rich rosewood.It is best suited for men over 30-40, not for kids.....lol... Few scents can evoke the 70s and 80s like this wonderful juice.A golden advice , tested many times by self---if you want to reach at some alace at 8 pm ,go liberally with 12-14 sprays at 7pm including 4 on clothes... and you will be the boss. it has got a very harsh opening and it becomes a luxary gem after 50 min or so. A must buy for power house lovers

sats2222
sats2222

This is my favorite scent. A compliment getter for me. Fresh, woody and aromatic. Although it's quite strong you can pull this off if you apply only two or three sprays. It's long lasting and the sillage is good. Projection is for about three hours and it lasts for 10 hours on my skin.

A word of caution though....don't blind buy this perfume as many people find it too strong and weird for their liking. As for me I enjoy it thoroughly.

Ferminadaza
Ferminadaza

I have been so shocked by my foray into some of the classic scents! This is especially true for those which I'd previously overlooked because I would see them in discount stores or online for such low prices that I assumed they must be very low in quality as well.

First off, in case the screen name didn't tip you off, I'm a woman.

Whenever I blind buy either online or in a brick & mortar, I always have a Fragrantica window open on either my phone or laptop to see the reviews. I was a bit hard pressed to find a review for Grey Flannel by a woman who wore it. Way down the list, I finally happened upon one lady and that bolstered my confidence enough.

Did I mention that this stuff comes in a huge draft beer pitcher? Kidding, but it seems like a large amount (4 oz) for such a small price.

I spritz on a bit of my new 4 oz lifetime supply and I am immediately struck by notes of citrus infused earl grey tea. How nice! The initial tea note never fully goes away but morphs into parma violets with a tinge of mint for freshness. It settles into a lush bouquet of fresh violets and richly steeped black tea with a touch of lemon and sugar along with a subtle vintage "lipstick" note from the iris/orris heart.

The sillage is impressive, I'd only sprayed a small bit on the back of one wrist and the longevity is nice as well.

On a woman, this has the refinement of a niche scent. It's very comforting and what I would call a "genteel" scent and it is feminine, surprisingly enough! Did I say that 4 oz would be enough? I might have spoken too soon.

Seriously, I might have found my cold weather/wintertime signature scent.

LuxAestiva
LuxAestiva

This one is nice and fresh at first but on the tail end of each inhale there is a metallic, faintly fishy note that ruins of for me. That note comes out more and more as it dries down. Reminds me of the herb fish mint, which makes my toes curl. If that one note wasn't there, I would probably like this.

marlon.martinez
marlon.martinez

When I first smelled this, I almost choked. I'm go glad I gave it a chance. Amazing dry down. Light yet powerful. It really makes an impression. A mature scent that is not for everyone. But, if you do give it a run, it's worth it. Don't judge based on smelling the nozzle. Judge 5 minutes after applying. There's a reason it's still on the market after decades. It works. Proudly in my rotation.

ParfumAmour
ParfumAmour

I really like this, I loved the opening, powerful wood blast, like a fanfare.
The quick drydown gives me something erotic, masculinely floral, reminiscent of a vintage violet musk I used to wear, which is sadly no longer available.
I would love to meet a beau who was wearing this, mmmmmmm.

@SOvrgn90:
I would never deprive you of the right to rant (it makes these forums much more fun), but reading your review I do wonder if somehow you got a bad bottle... Though I think all the alpha-male hype about Grey Flannel is absurd (the 8o's weren't only about powerhouse, and GF was never marketed as such), it's longevity has never, ever been called into question, for better or for worse.

If you read my review below, you'll see I have definite reservation about the current, moss-free formulation... It is mostly now violet, anise and soapy musk to my nose, heavily synthesized and missing the note separation I used to so enjoy when I wore it in the late 1980's. That said, it is also one of those scents that smells better at a slight distance than close to the skin. My son wears this occasionally and pulls it off pretty well, though we both agree that it falls apart a bit in the dry down as the powdery/metallic synthetic violet note outlives its backing band... In this respect, I'd say that Mancorp (below) nails it with his analogy to an unplugged electric guitar. I'd also suggest Karlovonamesti's two reviews (both the general review and an update on the more recent formulation for perspective)... He has probably paid more affectionate attention to Grey Flannel - see his blog 'frompyrgos'- than anyone writing about fragrance, and, though he has his own particular tastes, you can trust him to educate your nose on the difference between ashes and violets.

SOvrgn90
SOvrgn90

Warning Rant ahead! -- Ok, my personal opinion and yes i am going to be a little vicious.
I sometimes wonder if people here are being compensated for reviews?! Some of these scents are nowhere NEAR as described by many reviews and way too generous. This is one of those scents.

First impression is of stale cigarette smoke right off the bat. Like being in an office in 1974 or something. The dry-down improves but not amazingly. There is something there but nothing fantastic- and after that and for the price hardly remarkable. On top of all that the projection is meh and the staying power non-existent. This isn't just not like described it is bad on most fronts.
Would not buy ever again, use it to spray in my closet or as a room scent just because well what else would i do with it?

kingc01
kingc01

I heard about this cologne for some time now and decided to give it a try. I was some what disappointed. At first, I was impressed with the way that this fragrance evolves from a harsh to a powdery fresh scent- like you just came out the shower. Though essentially powdery, it surprisingly swells in projection and silage. What irks me about this cologne is that the swelling projection and silage is stained with a potently raw floral violet scent that can be nauseating- similar to your grand mother's medicine cabinet or a flower shop. Its probably smells better in smaller doses, but its not my cup of tea.

lee99
lee99

I've learned that soapy floral scents just aren't for me. Just warning any future person that has the same taste as me!

pauli.pasanen
pauli.pasanen

Thruly wonderful, fresh and crisp scent. Like a windy spring day when the earth starts to melt after the winter. Makes me happy. Barbershop in a good way. Springtime in a bottle.

Lilah Veil
Lilah Veil

I'm a woman who loves this scent on men. This is some sexy juice. It smells clean without being overly ozonic/soapy with a gentle, non-nauseating sweetness. Smells masculine, rich, classy and oh-so-smooth in a way that says you're not trying too hard. Most women still love the effortless effect regarding appearance and fragrance and Grey Flannel does it. Put a drop on while sweaty. Even better. Some of us still enjoy the smell of your actual skin NOT slathered in fragrance. This stuff is a no fail; drives me crazy. LOVE it! Get this and walk by me. (On second thought, if I can smell your trail you're wearing too much so please just don't.) Do get it, though! :)

Cerulean
Cerulean

★★★★★

A blast of sharp citrus notes and greeness that are invigorating lead to violet complexity and bitterness in a way that has no been executed in any other fragrance before.

Barbershop character, classic, dandy and sophisticated, newer formula or vintage, it is fantastic for the price.

Perfect for fall or winter and also amazing in a rainy summer day, since its green complexity will lead your mind in a post-rain garden of wet lemon trees and wet grass if you close your eyes and stop thinking about notes.

Sillage is moderate after the top note blast, as it becomes complex green to powdery, while longevity is very good since i can stil detect it on my skin after 8 hours.

Beautiful and will always have a place in my collection.

Konga5000
Konga5000

******----------######--------------*****

I HAVE AVOIDED THIS ONE FOR YEARS - (and maybe you did too , dear reader)

Why?

Because of the stuffy name & presentation. That's why.

I mean "Grey":.......... grey skys........dusty corners........a grey horse blanket.......mold.......inside of an old shoe box...........jeez- what a horrible picture to paint.

"Flannel": Heavy. Suffocating. Dense. Drab. Old man.

Why not call this "Coffin Lid", "Blind Man's Closet" or "Dentist Office"?

Bottle is so dull & listless that I use it on nights that I have insomnia and can't get to sleep--I just stare at it for a few minutes and ...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Geoffrey Beane must have been on the rag & constipated the morning the marketing department met in his office to launch this springy and happy juice.

This frag blossoms with...PURPLE and CITRUS perfectly crafted and safe for office or evening out. Day/Night. Summer/Winter. Jagger/Richards. Boy/Girl. AC/DC. Dog/Cat. Whatever......
I'm so happy there is no pine in this. I really thought this was going to smell like Aspen or some other pine-barber shop crap frag.
I was so wrong!

It's uplifting and wholly unisex.
If I had known that neroli was in here I would have been buying this for 15 years now!
A wonderful economical scent that is so balanced and ....um....."man-pretty" !

One of my best "BLIND BUYS" after asking my fellow Fragrentica Fans:
"What Men's frag has a nice blast of Violet in it?"
Here was their answer. This joy juice!

My highest rating of :
PNDT: Please Never Discontinue This (but really now- I don't think this will ever be discontinued as it's a classic "staple" of men's frags-- also no reason to buy a back-up bottle 'cause it will always be here--which is reassuring! )
and
IFLIGAHENFFC: I feel like I got a high end Niche frag for CHEAP

(and boy do I love that feeling!)

FIN

Dandadda19

Sorry Alex - when I said look for "eau de toilette" only - I meant without "vaporisateur " following - as those are the latest incarnation

Alex
To answer your question - go for a spray that just says "eau de toilette" . You want a pre EA bottle.
If you can find one that just says "cologne " on the front that only has " New York" without the Paris - these will be the earliest versions but are rare
Look out for distributor name on bottom sticker. Epocha, Jacqueline Cochran ,& sannofi were the 1st 3 producers & with the best ingredients

kazak
kazak

Lilac after the rain...

fabio.bernieri
fabio.bernieri

A bit harsh opening, but after 15-30 minutes it settled into a more charming and complex drydown. Very soapy, with an intensive presence of Violet, Mimosa, Oakmoss and a very strong note of Cumin.

Versatilità: 7/10
Sillage: 7/10
Longevità: 7/10

Gradimento Personale: 6/10

The_MiBo
The_MiBo

After a harsh, complex opening with what seems like a hundred different notes vying for attention, this settles down into a lovely soapy, clean powder. Violet and Iris are the big hitters but in a gentle way and it never gets too floral.

Perfect for the gloomy winter days we have here in London right now, this has become one of my favourites. Plus, someone told me I smelt like cake when I was wearing it. That's no bad thing, right :)

AlexUrbano369
AlexUrbano369

There are several versions of this perfume.
Mine says: GREY FLANNEL eau de toilette spray vaporisateur

New York - Paris

I don't like this version it doesn't soapy like i was hoping for..... can somebody please tell me Which version is that smell soapy ?

missan

I have several different bottles of this. From the latest chemical mess to older ones made in UK and in France. The best I have is one made in France, don´t really know the year. Here we have Grey Flannel in all its natural glory, full of oakmoss, vetiver, citrus and flowers. Very smooth and well blended, very natural. It reads Sanofi beauty products at the bottom.

brandonR
brandonR

I don't get the hate for Grey Flannel. I Got a whiff at a department store the other day. I found it a spicey driven soap scent. Comforting and nice actually. It's the smell of a clean, no nonsense adult male and feels timeless. I have a hard time understanding how a non modern fragrance snob wouldn't like this. I'm thinking about running back down to the store tomorrow and making the purchase. Grey Flannel is a steal.

Dandadda19

if you appreciate oakmoss & the depth & longevity it gives,.. if you buy a post 2008 EA bottle , please invest in a small bottle of oakmoss absolute & decant & mix. 1-2 drops of oakmoss will be enough to transport you back to where this fragrance once was, almost nearly.or, look out for bottles pre 2008/07 as they still have a nice mossy feel while still holding the fresh top notes as long as they have been well stored

Dandadda19

I am 45 years old & have fond memories as this has been a favourite of mine for nearly 30 years. I have a selection of bottles dating back to 1983.
I just bought a 2014 240ml splash & was quite surprised by the notes before me.
a lot more anise , & very thin & almost synthetic.
according to reviews i was expecting fresh citrus & very fresh greens - NO
I put about 3 drops of oakmoss absolute in to bottle & waited 24 hours ......
wow
this is almost as good as the vintage bottles i have paid £100... for
fresh ,powdery , violet , green , anise , oakmoss , maybe somewhat close to what it smaelled like in its day

Additionally:

Grey-Flannel is completely an American-Classic just like Polo ( green),Aramis or Levi's, as people over there love perfumes with a strong character, and besides all other qualities mentioned by other members so adeptly, Grey-Flannel also has another rare quality -a distinctive character in its scent.
And friends , that's precisely why this perfume can never be pushed into the "dated-scent" territory!
It's still relevant, still classy, still a great cologne with an understated, sophisticated fragrance which exudes reliability, gentlemanly-ness and good taste .
Put simply, Grey-Flannel is still-despite its five decades of age- an undeniable and as yet undented and untarnished American-Classic!!

Happy-Sniffing !
Sam Singer

P.S. Thanks to all Fragrantica members, my unseen friends, for your uncondtitional love and motivating support for my modest efforts along my scent-quest!!

Adrian_jacobs1984
Adrian_jacobs1984

Very green smelling I bought this for my husband who is very picky like me we both tested it on our skins first blast so much Oakmoss and Lemon. Abit much at first the lemon I mean I like the mossy notes the longer it on my skin it is morphing into a beautiful smell that a man nor woman could wear. I do really like it once it has been on for about 30 mins. My husband thinks it's just okay. I really like it not at all off putting. Calms down faster than I thought It would but that okay with me. Still smell very 70s and I like it.

purplesun
purplesun

How can I describe this fragrance, when it hardly resembles anything that came before of after it.
Violets, oh, violets, how did you end up in a men's cologne? Anyway, the idea was brilliant and the result cannot be replicated, even though when I think of Grey Flannel, I also think of Hommage a L'Homme by Lalique. The difference between the two is large, however, the latter one being piquant, fresh, playful and ultimately simpler, whereas Grey Flannel is luscious, alluring and mysterious. Their effect is different.
The oakmoss and the galbanum are what render the synthetic violet note three-dimensional. The rest of the notes complete and make for a very complex composition. None of them has been used with a heavy hand but rather in the old-fashioned discreet way.
I can't be extatic about such a wistful scent, but I still love it enough to rate it 10/10.

roachburn
roachburn

if you can make it past the initial opening the gift is soon to follow, but for the 1st minute it is absolutely horrid. Should be called cyrano de bergerac, the beauty is below the skin. Better soap scent than thierry mugler cologne imo.

arzacu

To my nose this has nothing to do with an "oriental woody"... I would say the best description could be GREEN FLORAL...

I just took a shower 5 minutes ago and 2 sprays of this behind my ears... it's so green, floral, powdery, soapy and clean... I get soft iris and sweet violet with sharp galbanum and bitter oakmoss... definetly 70's kind of scent... soft but notorious, a true masterpiece.

Loose Ends
Loose Ends

Ahh Grey Flannel...
Catnip for cougars!
Worth every penny.

besamehu
besamehu

فلانل در عین اینکه رایحه ای پیچیده و غریب داره بسیار گیاهی و سبز هست و به شما حس بودن در طبیعت رو می ده. بوی خیلی مدرنی داره و پخش بوی متناسب با ترکیباتش اون رو بیشتر به طبیعی بودن نزدیک می کنه. از نظر من کلاس و صمیمیت این کار 7/10 هست.
نکته ی دیگه اینکه ماندگاری و پخش بو باید با ماهیت عطرتناسب داشته باشه.
هنر ساخت عطرهای مدرن در همین تناسب و هارمونی بین اجزای تشکیل دهنده ی اون هست.

aqua_de_la_vita

I had put away Grey Flannel for awhile to switch up things. After bringing it out I wore this juice and it all came back. It starts off with a strong aroma of voilet, sage and petitgrain makes this juice a real bold attractive masculine fragrance. Oakmoss, vetiver and cedar adds character with a rich herbal scent. This 70's juice stand out from the rest.
Longevity and Silage is very high lasting well past 10hrs on my skin.
Finally,
This fragrance has been around over 30 years and still going strong and it could be a nieche juice considering the quality. Highly recommended and the price is a real bargin compare to Eau de Narcisse Bleu from Hermes. 10/10

mrdanielsir
mrdanielsir

Fantastic scent, very very similar to Acqua di Parma Essenza Colonia, minus the Neroli opening. Absolute bargain at this price. If you enjoy classic green barbershop scents this is a must.

ale chop
ale chop

It smells like very old forsaken haunted laundry service and I absolutely love this scent!

Excellent blind buy for me.

Sherihan
Sherihan

Tested today, and top notes similar to Trophee de Lancome

MansonsKaBooM
MansonsKaBooM

This is a very confusing fragrance.
The initial blast just turns you Off. Later on it brings that powdery notes but I guess thats it.
No doubt that it has got the most potent longevity, I can still smell it on my clothes after 2 days.
Go for it if you like powdery fragrances. I bought it only coz its revenue goes in charity.

AJ

miss honeysuckle
miss honeysuckle

Aromatic and spicy soap on a bed of fine flowers, absolutely ladylike in all ranks.

I have bought it as a gift for my husband and now I am the main user ...
Wearable all seasons and all occasions!

Julio Azul
Julio Azul

one of the best male fragrances ever produced.it has a great balance between citrus,flowers and woods.a masterpiece in a bottle.classic,serius and refined for the gentleman that appreciate beautiful things in life.superb longevity and great silage.10/10.

libou
libou

Commence par une odeur désagréable "parfum vieille école". À pulvériser 1/2 heure avant de sortir de chez soi!!! Après la magie opère, une odeur de propreté savoneuse. Parfum vraiment classe et peu porté. vraiment pour se démarquer. Parfum 8/10 sillage 9/10 longévité 9/10. Achat sur ebay pour moins de 25€. À avoir dans sa garde robe pour les événements spécial.

Kentington
Kentington

The description has this as a woody oriental - but how do you do a woody oriental without any vanilla? This is another classic fougere. Even though lavender is not listed in the scent pyramid it's undoubtedly in there...I'd say it's not as anisic as Azzaro Pour Homme or as sweet as Le 3eme Homme, but they all sit on my shelf together - variations on a similar theme.

I'm sure people have lots of fond memories of stronger formulas and richer, more expensive ingredients...but the current formulation is still elegant, discreet, and rich/fleshed out enough to smell like it costs more than it does. It's undoubtedly the best $10 blind buy I've ever made.

Gil64
Gil64

My GO-TO work scent. A manly scent that doesn't over power or offend. Great for the office and just a solid overall fragrance.

mikhail.mowayne
mikhail.mowayne

It's starts off with a heavy green, floral slightly herbal scent. Just imagine the kind of scent of a gardener mowing a lawn and trimming the flowers. After about 3 hours it dries down to a modest, floral and very powerdery scent. The floral scent last for a several hours until it gets subdued by the woody note which along with the powdery scent take it to the end phase.

It's a long lasting fragrace, I get over 12 hours. It's for a self assured gentleman with a established image.

21Fees
21Fees

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene-American fashion designer,Its a Businessmans scent, strong yet not too strong, pleasant smell, goes nice over Ralph Lauren After Shave Balm.

Good Luck,

21fees

DSun
DSun

I don't know how to say this but I may have finally found a reformulation that I like. The strange and inhospitable accord of the galbanum/citrus/violet stem in the vintage is still present in the current version but toned down just imperceptibly so. Grey Flannel's opening was always the hardest part to like about it, so I've always thought that there was room for improvement there; but then again, maybe that was part of its charm?

The biggest change is in the drydown. It is now more accessible and friendlier...more citrusy and flowery. It's just a hop and skip away from the old version, but what a difference it makes! I'm going to hazard a guess that MHC (the synthetic violet aromachemical used here...according to Turin) has become so expensive, EA Inc. used less of it.

And it works!

Rick Bennett
Rick Bennett

My favourite scent. Loved it since the eighties and never been beaten. Herbs, violets, a fresh, cool, damp, woody smell. Cool rain on skin. An Northern woodland clearing, on the cusp of Autumn, cool, green everywhere, the rain suddenly stops, the sun shines through the leaves, highlighting delicate purple flowers, the leafy tree branches still dripping with bright raindrops.
If I could only have one, this would be it.

19/6/15
First met this when I was 16. I'd never really thought about fragrance before, but had grown up with them as my mother wears them (then Poison, opium, rive gauche). This literally stopped me in my tracks, my heart missed a beat and a thousand childhood memories flashed before my eyes. I'll never forget it. I know it's not the original formula now, and I know it's dated now, and I know, increasingly, people don't like it. For me you can never replace the first love. It's me. I hope they drench the place with it at my funeral one day.

graysbeardcare
graysbeardcare

reminds me of English leather,I use this as a aftershave,it has a musk to it,like a clean soapy British floral musk,I loved it strongly recommend as a aftershave of a beard aftershave,its a cologne you must try when you hit you mid 20's makes you feel like a Mature man all and all it takes some time to get use to it,I bought this online a put it on serval times and was like what but once I got use to this soapy musk it was amazing like a gentleman's cologne I swear there's scotch in

spartan

Take A step back let the ALPHA pass. When you put this on your attitude will change. Welcome to the realm of MEN, where immortals dwell such as Kouros, Azzaro, Antaeus, Lagerfeld, Polo, Fahrenheit, Z-14, and yes Grey Flannel. Power scent pure and simple, put this on and the pups know the Alpha is near, and so do the females.

In A world of Unisex and Metro scent's that currently litter the landscape, this is like going back in time and finding out what real men were made of.

Tip on how to wear this. Spray it on 30 minutes before you leave the Den, thats how long it takes to let the top violet note calm down, then its all ALPHA.
This juice would sell at any price and has no know rival, for the cost its A real value.

Now get out of my way.

mike2342

I needed to come back and say WOW the longivity on this is a beast. It dies down and you think its gone then all of a sudden BAM its back again and them whiffs i get are stunning. I retract my 7/10. Definetly worthy 9/10

mike2342

This smells like a dove bar of soap!!! Its a very pleasent smell but not something i would wear out and about. Prob just a after shower scent to make me feel fresh. Its pretty good for a cheapie 7/10

Vasily
Vasily

A real classic: an older gentleman wearing a freshly laundered suit, carrying a bouquet of flowers for his lover. Not a seasonal scent, I wear it year round and wouldn't be without a bottle.

lotus and jasmine
lotus and jasmine

I picked this up on major discount, intrigued by the notes, and wondering how it would work for a woman. The opening is intensely galbanic, with a nice oakmoss approximate, narcissus and orange blossom accord. Violet plays hide and seek, but is not nearly as intensive as I was expecting based on the pyramid above.

The heart contains a strong musk note, and is extremely soapy. While clean, it is overwhelming to the point where I found it a little unpleasant. I applied one spray to each wrist, and I feel that I have over applied- be warned!

Two hours in GF maintains the heavy soapiness, with just a touch of tonka bean. I can't detect any other notes through the musk. Grey Flannel remains clean, pleasant, and at this point not overly strong. Longevity is good, as is the sillage.

After 3 hours the musk finally begins to fade, becoming a base. Bergamot, cedar, a nicely floral iris, and peekaboo violet remain. Tonka is gone now, but faint mimosa appears. At this point GF is clean, ever so slightly floral with a slight almondine scent that is almost gourmand, and quite nice. I like the scent at this point, but it is a fair bit of work to get here. I recommend this for those who enjoy white musk scents, and soapiness. The dry down is much drier and lighter than the opening would suggest, and I consider it safely unisex.

Luna_J

I found this yesterday greatly reduced and am still trying to figure it out. Right now, I am just not getting much range or evolution. Mostly just a body-blow of synthetic violets with a tinge of bergamot and maybe some anise. Having owned the original in the mid-1980's I feel that what survives is the heady mid-phase that is not without a certain powdery irresistibility.

What's missing: the striking, tea-like Bergamot opening I recall in the vintage, and along with it, a softer, rounder transition through and into the heart-violet (less powdery flower, more juicy leaf) with an astringent green galbanum more distinguishable in the mix.

More missing (more missed): the whole damned base in the dry down, as far as I can remember. I don't get bitter oak moss, nor do I get rich, avuncular sandalwood or damp, earthy vetiver. In short, no solid base for a chypre accord. It just seems to be more of a fuzzy fade-out of artificial violet haze. Needless to say, this is incredibly saddening (and ironic: as a teenager I used to keep reapplying the stuff in search of a repeat-ecstasy of those top and mid-notes that are now so dominating...)

What now? A walloping then discreet purple blanket of Edwardian dandy-ness without much evolution. Over-applied (especially on fabric, which preserves the heavy-duty opening) it becomes a smothering, cloying headache. In attempt to emulate the multidimensional original, I have tried lightly applying this over Sung Homme (tangy with bright green galbanum), but I expect the real pleasure would lie in trying this layered with Narciso Rodriguez Pour Homme EDT, which has the nostalgic passion, minor-chord sophistication and lingering sprightly woodiness (musk, amber, violet leaves and patchouli) that this edition lacks.

Update:
I admit, I was hasty and too hard on this... My wife wears CB's Wild Pansy on occasion (3D, High Def violets pulled out of damp, dirty grass), with the result that, a.) I am spoiled for rarified violets, and, b.) tend to associate this smell more with the feminine than I did as a teenage Fahrenheit fan. There is more green in the dry down than I first remarked upon, and maybe something that passes for sandalwood (and almonds?) as well. I guess I'd say that, like many reformulated fragrances, it has become more of a shorthand summary of itself than itself. What does this mean? In short, less note separation, more linearity, and the sense that you've learned all this perfume has to tell you within the first two hours of applying it. In this last sense, I can see how some find it comforting at the end of a long day or enjoy it for being an eccentric yet steady signature. It has a way of suggesting an aura that could - with the right combination of personality and atmosphere - become habit-forming.

sam ldh

Woody oriental? Well there are certain changes in today's Grey Flannel, but not so much that it's entire classification gets turned over. Okay the previous version is less on violet leaf,has the best sandalwood at this price and less tonka but the overseas fragrance hasn't changed much except in the opening of the currently available juice being bitter /harsh, which is the biggest reasons why so many new users discard it immediately, without giving it just half an hour needed for that initial burst to settle into an exquisitely well crafted bitter /sweet floral bouquet embedded in the earthy/Chyperish mossy garland! A sophisticated cologne which is equally at home with a three-piece suit or a pair of your weekend jeans/tshirt, which will make you smell clean &well groomed throughout the whole day without being offensive at all ..

For those who love classic colognes, but want to try something on the floral side and a cologne which has the DNA of a Powerhouse BUT, witout the loudness and in-your face attitude of that genre, you would definitely find something of interest here.

Its real especially appreciate the way this company Donates all the proceeds from this products ' sales to charity. Remarkable, indeed.

Gud luck &
Happy Sniffing!

Sam Singer

milk
milk

The expression that goes "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" applies when coming to Grey Flannel.The flacon looks like an expensive bottle of some rare wine.To me it starts off green and develops into something purple-like and powdery.It's long lasting with satisfying sillage.For the price this is a definite steal,just superb.

RobbieX

Clean, floral, fresh, unique and long lasting. It's beautiful and, for me, it's a classic gentleman's cologne.

jack.cloutier
jack.cloutier

Dominated by violet and powder, not sure where the woody note comes in. It's very green, smelling like plants when you first apply it. You know, the kinda smell that you'd experience if you were weedwhacking and took down a clump of flowers by mistake. It's a pleasant, mellow fragrance for a woman, and makes a man smell freshly showered. It's just too gentle a scent for a younger man to wear every day though. Save it for special occasions, but don't completely pass this understated fragrance up.

dromidreza

بوشو خیلی دوست دارم مردانه و درعین حال کمی کلاسیک.جون میده به کت جنس فلانل هم بزنی دیگه معرکه میشه.ماندگاری و پخش بو قابل قبول.

DannyBoii
DannyBoii

If you're a man who wants to challenge all the generic perfumes, give Grey Flannel a try. Its not for me but I can see why people would like it.

Try not to be alarmed by the opening as when it soothes down it turns in to a more attractive floral rather contrary to its bug spray opening. It seems like one of those hit or miss scents in my opinion and if I had to make a comparison its the "1 Million eau" for older men.

This scent can be interpreted as a womens perfume though so just be aware of that when trying.

Loewengel
Loewengel

Every time a smell this, I get the impression of myself walking in a street of London and a line of trees along, in an autumn rain, wearing a trench coat and a briefcase in one of my hands. Never been to England, but that's the image that this fragrance conjures up to me. Awesome composition! Classy, fresh and classic. It's a master piece.

sabnet2000
sabnet2000

I bought this at TJMaxx for 15 bucks because I liked the understated bottle design. I thought what the hell, I'll give it out if it's really bad... and it was!

Literally, this smells like soap.
On my skin this actually smells just like laundry detergent. And I mean the cheap brand store kind, NOT the fancy ones with coloured granules.

I really wished I could enjoy this one - and even after reading the positive reviews on here, I decided to give it a try full on: I splashed 4 sprays before going to work. Bad idea. While the scent does tone down from the opening, it remains very present and very linear - and for a 15$ scent, boy does it last!

I understand however why some people here may find it "older suit and tie meeting scent": it's got that no fancy no bullshit KISS (keep it simple, stupid) concept. I could see someone like Trump wearing that (when he's not wearing his self-absorbed scents of course)

MECLA
MECLA

Au premier pschitt il peut rebuter, mes enfants le détestent au matin, mais passé une heure le parfum est incroyable. C’est un parfum propre qui fait penser aux vieux savons d’hôtels, il peut se porter en toute situation et en toute saison, mais il est préférable de le porter début mai jusqu’à septembre. Pour moi c’est un parfum unisexe qui vaut bien plus de reconnaissance, mais tant mieux car ainsi nous restons uniques. La nouvelle formule est aussi bien que l’ancienne et laisse toutes les créations grand public derrières. Mon seul point négatif est qu’il faille le délaissé de temps en temps pour le réapprécier à sa juste valeur.
Senteur: 5/5
Sillage: 3/5
Longévité: 5/5
Score=10/10

Tiger84
Tiger84

First cold, metallic violet which then becomes creamy violet. Some bitterness is present the whole time, reminding to damp earth where these flowers blossom. Dark green scent. Being female I would rather wear this in warm weather.

mdunford
mdunford

I bought a little bottle of this at a drug store just to test it out. It's so green, grey, and sad. It makes me feel like I put my clothing on after a shower without sufficiently toweling off, then immediately went for a barefoot walk on a foggy day in the saddest garden of all time. If you've ever read "Remains of the Day," this scent is the tone of that novel.

Tarzan
Tarzan

I wore this perfume last night at the club and have to confess that I turned into a sexual beast . A more accurate name would be ... Girls Ravageur - a timeless masterpiece ...

Dandadda19

I owned this in the 80's and loved it. My wife bought me a bottle 5 years ago & it bought back instant memories, but the violet did not go down well with my family. I have just purchased a huge 8oz screw top bottle from mid 80's . No front sticker ,but it has the Jacqueline cochrane label on bottom. First 20-30 minutes it smells so harsh you'd think it'd gone off. Then the magic starts to happen.I cannot believe this juice could smell this good almost 30 years later and from a screw top bottle.beautiful moss & cooling violet. . I may have to invest in a modern bottle to compare.
PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN PURCHASING

lialuvhatetragedy
lialuvhatetragedy

My review is on the recent formulation. Stinging green herbal opening. Clean floral at the middle and tiny bit powdery on the drydown. Sillage moderate. Staying power up to 6 hour. Def unisex. A sleek cologne I must say. Bottle looks minimally dapper. Love.

Ravisto
Ravisto

Grey Flannel is a truly unique fragrance which to my mind perfectly suits two specific ocassions. I think people who spend a lot of time outdoors will immediately associate the scent with the smell of a rainy day in the country. The words earthy, fresh, grey, and gloomy come to mind.
The second association I make with the scent of Grey Flannel is the smell of an old book, especially one with a pressed flower in it as a bookmark. I definitely pick up the smell of paper which is accentuated by the powdery feel of the dry-down.

The opening of this fragrance is a little harsh - chemicals mixed with florals. I pick up violet all the way through first accompanied by other florals and a tinge of green, then earthy/grassy notes and finally it gets a touch powdery in the dry-down.

The sillage is far from overpowering and the longevity is good. Lots of weird negative reviews for this which I can only put down to impatience and narrow-mindedness.

Scent : 16/20
Longevity : 7/10
Projection : 6/10

Total : 7.25/10 ... Perfect for rainy days. I dont get much rain in the city I live in but fortunately this also works in the office for that distinguished gentleman image.

ImpishLisa

This is my VERY FAVORITE men's cologne. I swear, I friggin buy it to wear for myself. It is classy, sexy, and just drives me MAD.

yongi
yongi

I was surprised on how many people spoke
so well about a scent that was released
over 3 decades ago. Many people still
found it attractive even when it didn't
come from a very popular perfume house.
It was curiosity that made me acquire this
old time classic, because I wanted to find
out how a gentleman in the late 20th
century would smell like. and due to it's
fair price tag, I didn't hesitate at all. And
the bottle too, it was attractive to me, it
was simple and i really wanted to add it to
my small collection.
Grey Flannel won't really rub shoulders
with some beast our there, but it still
pleases me, in a particular way. It works
best in the evenings. Sometimes you
should dress in a way that will compliment
this scent.

kevinjamaica
kevinjamaica

lovely cologne. be careful of the counterfeit versions. i see them a lot here in Jamaica, in Pharmacies.I bought one, never realize it until i reached home.

Chrisalba
Chrisalba

Grey Flannel is truly unique and if you have a genuine interest in fragrance, and don't just wear scents to receive compliments from women, then this is an essential purchase, even as a blind buy. It's one of the most linear fragrances I've smelt - the opening blast of florals remains throughout until it's extremely powdery parma-violets drydown. There is a stage after about an hour where it smells, to my large nose, of satsuma or clementine peel - not the fruit itself but the fresh peel. There is a difference.
As a fragrance this is cold, slate-grey and very serious. As a consequence, I struggle to think of an occasion when you would wear it socially. Personally, I adore the scent and enjoy smelling it. More than I enjoy smelling of it.
Sillage and longetivity are impressive and it isn't particularly masculine so the female/s in your life might fancy a daring blast.

fire2heart
fire2heart

This was suggested for me to try. I'm a female but I tend to like more masculine smelling scents.

I remember this vividly from the 80's. I briefly dated a man who seemed to take a bath in this juice, yuck! But I'm open minded and thought what the heck as long a I don't put it on too strong.

Anywhoooo.... So I saw this at Ross and bought it. My son was over and I asked him to try it out and while I went upstairs. He had sprayed it in the air and waved his arm through it. Upon coming downstairs, I smelled it and asked him what he thought. He asked to keep it! He is 27. It smelled better on his wrist than in the air.

I recommended to him to spray it in the air and walk through it since it is such a strong fragrance and he agreed.

I never tried it, haha! I might sneak some on when I'm over at my son's place and see what happens.

NobleRoman
NobleRoman

Out Christmas shopping last week, I spotted GF at a great price. It's been over 20 years since I owned a bottle, but I went ahead and made the purchase. Wearing it today and I think that EA has a done a pretty good job with the reformulation. I get all the notes listed above with medium projection and 6 hrs of longevity. Does GF smell dated? To some, probably. But for me that's OK, nothing beats a blast of GF on a cool day.

nexangelus
nexangelus

This is a strong, kind of old fashioned scent like aramis. But where one is too sharp and nose turning, the other is more comforting. This is the more comforting. It starts out all resin and citrus. It soon becomes a woodsy, flowery, powdery warm comforter. It keeps you alert though too, as well as being a soothing aroma. I think this can be unisex, it is in the class of opium for that in your face loudness, but the powdery and floral notes make it softer (hence the comforting smell) It also has the fresh and clean likeness of soapy body after a warm bath. I am liking this today, it suits my mood.

rin_nd
rin_nd

I bought a bottle of this at TJMaxx or some such store, and then mostly forgot about it, except to use to layer with Penhaligon's Violetta, which needs its candy sweetness toned down. But when I saw a thrift store jacket that smelled like cigarette and too cheap to pass, I sprayed Grey Flannel on it. It is raining this weekend, and the GF, the rain, and a touch of tobacco is actually marvelous. The opening reminds me a bit of the peppery opening of the Different Company Bois d' Iris.

nat.thomson7
nat.thomson7

To wear this would be quite contrarian against the types of things hitting the shelves today. This doesn't have anything to do with abs or tattoos or what have you.

Thought it might be fun to try this out and see how it plays. Not a huge cost associated. Beene has a heritage of interest.

The two or three big notes wrestle around while the other ones peek in and out.

It's a good value. A largely foreign type of formulation compared to what's hot, hence all the confusion.

Like to wear it ceremonially with the aftershave on shave days. Hey world, I shaved, pass me a Cutty Sark.

Good for office wear. Good with menswear classics and a few accessory details.

Something the guys down at the barbershop might suggest.

picknenders
picknenders

This is one of those love/hate deals I guess...to me, it's awful. It's thoroughly unpleasant and I would never want anyone around me smelling like this. The beauty is, some people love it - and that's great! Anyway, not for me.

Kharnak Rex
Kharnak Rex

Heavy, musty, VERY clean like sniffing a very strong ivory soap bar.
But still complex and rich, Grassy green, with a hint of a urinal cake vibe. I understand why some would call it "pissy", but very pleasant actually. The dry down is very fabric or clean laundry, "white linen". I don't notice the florals much, it's just pure soap to me.

Longevity: long and strong
Sillage: strong and noticeable.

mrmattcat78
mrmattcat78

grey flannel you hear horror story's on you tube about how bad it is m how horrible , so i was at tjmaxx , i was like eh its 12.99 for this big bottle , dare i , yes why not , i got in the car , i sprayed it , i sniffed , i said smells fresh and clean whats to hate , its not like tabac , that did make me almost puke lol , no , nothing i can see wrong with this juice , clean fresh everyday kinda soapy scent

Syzygy73
Syzygy73

Clean, floral, soft but masculine. What's not to like?

aqua_de_la_vita

I returned to my fav purfume store and as I walk in the owner received a shipment. As he pulled out Grey Flannel I asked him how much? He had 120ml for 25usd and 240ml splash for 35usd..that's a no brainer I went for the splash. Before I go any further, I must admit that with this website and others reviews it's given me a new outlook on fragrance since I started. I never would of considered this fragrance because I didn't have much to go on and I found that the price doesn't always reflect quality. Grey Flannel has been around since the 70's and is still going strong. So many fragrance have come and gone with a short life...Grey Flannel has surpassed most frag's and that's amazing on it own considering the price is a bargain.
Now about this MASTERPIECE of a fragrance! I enjoy the full body aroma which has a floral vib with a bitter green galbanum. After this juice settles the aroma of voliet and bitter orange blossom brings it together beautifully. Flannel also has a real herbal bite from sage and oakmoss giving it a deep masculine aroma. This fragrance also a soft/sweet delicate scent from neroli/rose and carnations adding warmth to balance the bitter/herbal aroma.
Longevity and Silage is excellent lasting well past 8hrs
Finally opinion,
What the hell took me so long to buy this PHENOMENON fragrance. This has to be tops for such reasonable price fragrance. Viva Grey Flannel.. 100%....10/10 LOVE IT...

lovetribe
lovetribe

soapy,soapy soapy!!!!!!!!!!high class!!!!!i love it.....
for me is as a niche parfum!!!!for all seasons!!day and night.performance incredible!!!!

Aamir Ahmed
Aamir Ahmed

Opening of grey flannel is kinda spicy n very loud....the dry down is very soapy....i love the opening though....its very masculine

MonsieurK
MonsieurK

Tested this alongside many 'niches', expecting some of the alarmist reviews to sway me against it. Instead, I found it unique and unpredictable due to the fact that it was able to both challenge and comfort me.

It makes a spectacular transition from an fiercely green floral/ vegetal opening to a soft, clean soapy dry down. Quite impressive. Doesn't last too long on my skin though. Anyway, I consider it more 'niche' than many niche's out there.

roll4fun
roll4fun

Phew!! That was my initial impression from test spray on my inner arm. Got a pungent smell from the spray alone that resembled something between oven cleaner spray, and the aftermath of cat diarrhea.

After working up the nerve (perverse curiosity) to smell my inner arm, the scent wasn't that bad. I got scent that did a flipping cube between a floral musk, and grape soda smell. Projection was moderate, lasted at least 5 hours on my skin- I showered and scrubbed by then. Even if the drydown turned out good, I wouldn't want to put up with the initial scent. I'm passing on "Grey Flannel."

Kokomo
Kokomo

This is one of the first scents that I was given as an early teen and I recently found my original bottle with a few drops left and had to have more. When my order arrived, I detected an immediate rotten leather aroma when first applied, but that went away within 15 minutes and my old favorite returned. I presumed that it had become a synthetic reformulation, but I didn't care. While its intensity limits me to wearing this only during the colder months, one whiff of this warm, floral fragrance, even in the depths of summer, brings on the nostalgia of raw winter days. I am glad to have it back.

eomer
eomer

My classic autumn fragrance, rainy, grey, cloudy, depressive...

Jason Bogie

Chaps. The stores have recently introduced a 240ml splash bottle that is as cheap as the previous 120ml sprays. But , on a smell test , it seems as if the juice has been watered down . This could be the last hurrah, the last attempt to squeeze the lemon so to speak! . So, stock up on the 120 ml sprays before the tap is turned off forever.

Kowski
Kowski

Ok this is a controversial fragrance and for good reason. It is not a thugged out players fragrance for sure, and it is one of the easiest to over apply. 5 sprays is too much. You do 2-3 sprays, at first you will get a very bitter masculine floral, but wait 40 min to an hour and boom- my GF who claims to only like ADG was like "something smells good!". I said yeah lady that's the violets. That's them ionones girl! Anyway, it basically smells like a professional man who just showered (soapy and makes me feel like I'm a British person). This is not something that will make promiscuous women hit on you, but it is a comforting clean smell. I used it particularly during a time when my Girl was going through a horrible personal tragedy, and it fit well. Hm. What that means I don't know.

therealpaloma54
therealpaloma54

I've never liked Grey Flannel, but that's because I have no tolerance for violet notes, and this has one which screams at me an instant "no no no". This does not mean the violet note is loud, it just means that I really dislike violet. My theory about scent is that the elements of a scent do not smell or register themselves equally to each person, but rather each person's brain is sensitized to dislike with increasing exposure, rather like poison ivy! At first sniff, a note doesn't strike you one way or the other, but repeated sniffs begin to displease until the "displease" impression in the brain outweighs all other impressions arriving from the nose. I wish I could try Grey Flannel minus the violet, because other than that, it looks like the sort of fragrance we both love.

phillip.jones.71868
phillip.jones.71868

Perhaps this is one of those scents that does not go well with certain individuals because I found this to be frankly vile. It goes on with citus and green notes and settles into a floral bouquet followed by almond and oakmoss. The transitions are quite sudden and the overpowering floral notes make this way to feminine for my tastes. This could smell good on a woman, but, every time I smell this I think of a used car salesman....not sure why.

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

While some may roll their eyes at the mere mention of this cologne, I have fond memories of it. Like most guys, this was my first "real" cologne and its really not half bad. It's masculine, woody and mossy. Its fresh smelling, clean and all male. For a low budget scent it actually has considerable depth and complexity. The mossy element is slightly sweet but it totally works and in it's own way very unique.
For the price and availability (TJ Maxx and Walgreens) a guy can do a whole lot worse. It's "old man" reputation is really not deserved as I'm sure a woman would not mind her man smelling like this concoction.
The aftershave balm actually smells softer and more sophisticated than the spray cologne which I admit can be a bit strong. I recommend the balm vs the spray if you've never had a bottle.
Still considered a classic and is still around to this day. It's for a reason.

ginawadsworth
ginawadsworth

I bought this for my husband at the recent annual perfume sale. It was an instant purchase and I did not have to try anything else.

I like the fact that this is a splash on cologne to be used in the old fashioned way, and it sits alongside Aramis in terms of quality.

It is lovely and reminds of me of Jicky in that it is elegant and timeless but marketed for men. (Personally I think men could wear Jicky, but I don't think my husband would be so bold as to wear a perfume advertised for women).

Edit: on wearing it myself-

However the main note here is violet as opposed to lavender, which is so soothing and unique in a men's perfume, as this note is essentially marketed to women. It has a lovely green-ness to it too, which is warmed by the violet and keeps it from being cold.

It has a sense of a "greenhouse warned by sunshine" vibe which is lovely.

I will be inclined to use this too, as I find it unisex.

thomas261989
thomas261989

I don't really understand where all the hates came from. It's so much one sided on YouTube that I thought it must have been the worst fragrance ever made. However, thanks to its cheap price and large size, I decided to go with the majority of commentators here and purchase an 8oz bottle.
It came with a surprise note of pure violet leaves, very intensive yet quite natural. I wore it for the past 2 days and found it to be quite pleasant. Not exceptional but classy and very appropriate for winter and workplaces. I probably won't wear it much since the sillage is poor but I definitely did not waste my money. This reminds me of my direct supervisors, people who are not top of the food chain yet and can't afford expensive scents but want to impose maturity and experience upon supervisees. If you're one of those, buy this one as soon as possible.

saintlunaire
saintlunaire

I rediscovered it recently and i adore it (i weared it in my Young adulthood). An evergreen (never out of fashion) fresh violet with wonderfull oakmoss.

The unique (and masterpiece) Andre Fromentin 's parfume, what a pity !

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

The opening of Grey Flannel is full of bitter green galbanum, earthy moss and aromatic citrus peels. This austere aroma is not to the extent of being harsh, but can very well be challenging if one is not accustomed to these earthy green scents.

At a certain moment, the fragrance seems to contain a smokiness, but eventually recedes, as the dewy violet gradually blooms in the heart. The sweetness of violet softens the bitterness, while these green earthy elements keep the scent from being dandy. There is a powdery texture, but not from violet, as it has a mineral aspect rather from iris and galbanum.

In the late drydown, the floral redolence become more prominent but always retrained by moss and galbanum. At the same time, it feels more balmy and much more approacheable than the first few hours.

The sillage is relatively soft and the longevity is around 10 hours. I quite enjoy the transformation of Grey Flannel from austerity to a gentle heart, and its unisex interpretation of violet combined with moss and galbanum. If you're interested in a unisex fragrance with a retro vibe, I'd definitely recommend giving Grey Flannel a sniff.

ses101
ses101

This took me by surprise. It is strong, but it is also fresh. When I ordered it the smell was wafting out the packaging and I thought oh no, how strong is this going to be!. But it is actually a nice well balanced fragrance that is consistent right the way through.

zinski19901
zinski19901

a very unique cologne. I love it though. The smell is just so different and smells natury and floral. Not usually a fan of floral colognes but this one is great. This seems to be an aquired smelling cologne though.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I got violet but no oakmoss; my guess is that they've eliminated it in a reformulation. Anyway, it starts with an interesting vintagy fougere vibe but, sadly, turns unbearably soapy on me. (I really dislike soapy notes.) I couldn't wear this - had to scrub.

vbjanos
vbjanos

I have bought this based on the reviews and the notes list.
I get no moss, no galbanum amd no rose but there is a lot of anise. One spray is interesting, two sprays and the anise gets really annoying. Once it is gone there are some vague fake florals remaining and some distant woodiness.
I would like to try some vintage Grey Flannel. The current formula is a wreck.

junior halston
junior halston

Think of warm sunny blue sky spring morning the trees are green and blooming the air has slight coolness but the sunshine is warm.......that is Gray Flannel

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

4.5 from 5 - 95P - fresh green - I always liked grey flannel for sunny spring/summer mornings. The correct name should be rather GREEN flannel. Maybe the best green fragrance ever. It is so clean, fresh leaf, some very mellow spice, a little bit lacking complexity, very long lasting, a masterpiece. Splash it over you, and it will splash you with pleasure.

prince64
prince64

I got the 240ml from UK e-shop... I worn it this morning for the very first time and... I am astonished how good it is. Maybe, due to the many artifacts inside, it changes continuously time after time... as time goes by I could smell a new scent... I love it, despite how old is it! Definitely!!!

Osmo
Osmo

barber shop / clean / oldskool / cult / not bad / maybe dated for many users, may sound offensive nowadays? not sure; interesting.

demon718
demon718

I love this scent plain and simple.There will always be a bottle in my collection :)

loismonahan
loismonahan

Bought this at a Ladies of the Eastern Star garage sale! The woman who sold it to me ($2.00!) said that she had bought it for her husband and he didn't like it. I remembered smelling it years ago and liking it, so for $2.00 I'd take a chance. Violets!! Not the violets some fragrances claim to have but can't be detected over the fruity, candy blast! Love this one and I'm a woman who has visited a lot of fragrances over the years. A definite keeper!

said.mubarok.96
said.mubarok.96

yes the first spray I feel weird, but be patience and wait for half an hour. you'll be surprised, the scent is so different. I smell a wet and bitter crushed-leaves in tropical forest. just very special scent no other perfume have.
I love the bitter scent on my body, feel so special.

RobbieX

There is nothing like Grey Flannel. A fantastic value classic masterpiece.

rasputin1963
rasputin1963

Hate it when people diss this stuff. It's a masterpiece.

binoybcompany

Update : Had this for a few years now when i had only 5 or 6 cologne this was one of my choice. But in 2014 this has become a monster during the harsh indian summer & has been using quite a bit of this. I've no idea if its a summer fragrance but i'm enjoying it.

CesareBorgia
CesareBorgia

Yes, the opening is a bit harsh (I happen to like it), but the dry down on this is a beautiful, elegant, soapy smell. I originally thought this was something just for the office, but the more I wear it, the more I realize it is suitable for any occasion. This is very strong, long lasting and it projects. The absolute key to this fragrance is to not over apply. Two sprays is perfect. Some do not respect it because of it's humble price point, but that is a mistake. In my opinion, it's absolutely great and I wear it proudly.

BoergeSmalls
BoergeSmalls

When i wear grey flannel i actually look forward to rainy days, when i wear it i imagine going trough an foggy forest in fall wearing a warm wool coat

dizzyfun
dizzyfun

I've been an avid Grey Flannel user for the past 10 or so years. (I'm now 38). It gets a lot of bad press but it's not a bad fragrance. It's different than today's new fragrances for sure. I don't get the reviews that say it's dated. Yes it's an older fragrance but it doesn't "smell" old like Kanon for Men does. That has an old man fragrance note to it.
My wife liked smelling it on my so she started wearing it herself and has gotten lots of compliments!

headofstate
headofstate

Not for everyone, best left for testing or trying when you are of age in the USA to run for president (35) as the vintage arrangement requires a developed taste for the oakmoss and galbanum that are so prominent. Many a youtube reviewer has derided this fragrance and it has become an in-joke among many of these semi-amateur hacks (that tend to rate only the creations of Thierry Mugler, Dior or Chanel of quality) as the definitive garbage fragrance of all-time. The residual effect has been felt on this board and basenotes since.
Is this bad stuff? No, absolutely not. Should you feel ashamed to wear it in public anywhere around 20 some-things? Not if you only use 2 sprays. Is it as bad as many say? Yes and no. The reformulation does have a really unappealing and harsh top that scares off most within the first 10 minutes of wear.
In the context of its time and place (1970's America during the oakmoss and woods craze ) this is remarkable stuff indeed.
Who would have ever thought a man from pure Baptist fundamentalist origins raised literally directly on the border of Louisiana and Arkansas would end up one of the most successful designers of men's clothing in the world? It happened. Even after his death in 2004, Beene's legacy continues in his generous endowment to reward future designers with an annual grant he stipulated in his will. He was one of the most considerate and charitable designers during and after his life-time so I come into this review with a fondness and bias appreciation for the man himself.
Regardless, this was one of the first fragrances I sniffed along with Halston Z-14 and Giorgio Beverly Hills when I was a child in the late 1980's. To me it always brought me back to my youngest days spent on the border of the Netherlands and Germany just a handful of miles away from the North Sea. It smelled like open green cow fields and row after row of tulip fields in bloom with intermediary wet, mossy and dense woods of northern Germany and the Netherlands in the early, foggy mornings of spring and fall. It was green like vintage Paco Rabanne but less medicinal.
krmarich and shamus, just to mention two really readable reviewers; already cover this fragrance extensively. What do I think of the reformulation? A decent recreation of the original with heavier reliance on synthetics and like krmarich points out astutely, this is what creates the opening harshness that repels many wearers 30 and under and impedes on their ability to hold out for a rather pleasant earthy, mossy dry-down. It has a soapy Irish Spring quality to it after 30 minutes of wear in the middle that is the blast of florals (violet and iris dominate) into the top of citrus and petit-grain. A lot of things going on here but Fromentin does a good job of balancing the onslaught of what is honestly floral overload and requires a certain immunity to sinus aggravation to withstand. After that 15 minutes this dries down into a very nice mossy woods and floral gem that performs well at around 8-12 hours and still shows great strength in projection (2 sprays is enough).
If you "kick it old-school", wear this proud and without shame.

Rod1969
Rod1969

Dont take tis the wrong way.

I think we should, believe none of what we hear and only half of what we see, Take a whif of this stuff, then wait for it to settle down. Then post a review on what you think based on your experience. If you dont like it, move on to the next one. Enjoy the journey.

For what its worth..I like it from about 20min after it settles. The opening tries to choke you.

For 10 bucks, its a blind buy.

cjas9298
cjas9298

A rich, leafy, orangey green opening of neroli and petitgrain, galbanum, anise and lemon oil that recedes too quickly; it’s amazing. After an hour, the full fragrance is revealed: an intense violet and iris, oakmoss, mimosa, narcissus, rose and sage heart and a delicious almond, tonka bean and violet base. About four hours in, the citrusy notes reassert themselves on the skin along with vetiver--beautiful. Then that base sings its happy tune for hours and hours. It's a brilliant violet and almond fougere undoubtedly worth exploring particularly for those who like orange, green, violet, Fahrenheit, or value.

primasanto
primasanto

I just got it two days ago and I think I'm kinda growing to like it despite all the bad reviews, but it's true that I have to survive the first at least 30 minutes for that soapy blast, after an hour or so that's when I start to enjoy the smell, it's different, calming and classic. sillage is okay because I notice some people are a bit offended by the first 30 mins soapy blast, longevity is great, I spray myself after shower at night and can still smell it in the morning

piggyluv
piggyluv

I love Grey Flannel on a man. It makes me want to get closer and nuzzle his neck. Quite disconcerting, as I only smell this on strangers...

anthony.klune
anthony.klune

I'm embarrassed after all these negative reviews to admit this is my winter signature scent. I've loved it since I saw it's grey flannel pouch stitched with Geoffrey Beenes name, and its simple clear violet bottle displaying the green scent inside behind the label. The opening 'note' (for I can only pick one strong violet) is, like the bottle & the colour of the perfume, simple, linear, green. In my mind the very epitome of the green scent. It is very one dimensional in my mind, with very little breadth or complexity which may be the reason for so many bad reviews. The opening is very green, incredibly sweet & remarkably feminine, yet for some reason it remains a very masculine scent, probably because of the woody, oak moss dry down. This is perfect for a wet winters day as it evokes its romantic imagery at every level from its grey flannel packaging to its green to woody notes. It may well be this romantic imagery which it invokes rather than the actual scent itself which is so attractive.
I admit the opening 'note'(s) are close to overpowering & flat in simplicity, but let it sit & it will settle into a refined, ever so sophisticated yet understated, masculine scent that is best worn by those who intend to emulate these quiet qualities & not make any loud statements about sexual attractiveness. Great with a winter suit, and can be worn to work without being provocative. Lastly, it is probably the most unique scent I've come across. There is nothing like it, yet it somehow still smells classic due to its almost archetypal green & mossy notes. Dare to live the dream.

Josh839
Josh839

I love Grey Flannel. Its green and earthy notes reminds me of the little brook that flowed into the lake where my parents used to rent a cabin during my youth.

This fragrance is unique among all the ones that I have tried and used until now.

I find it complex but for now, probably fortunately for the readers, I don't feel daring enough with fragrances to try and describe all its subtleties. I can somewhat recognize oakmoss, galbanum, rose, cedar and vetiver. I don’t know specifically the odor of violet, but I suspect, from some other reviews, that it is this note that gives the fragrance such a strong floral tone. This floral character because of the other earthy accords takes on a very masculine quality, but nevertheless, the fragrance has certainly a unisex vibe.

As reported by some, the opening is quite harsh, but around 20 minutes the fragrance settles down with this floral and green aura nicely backed by earthy tonalities.

I get the "urinal cake" vibe that some reported. For me, this association is more noticeable in the harsh beginning. After the initial phase, it settles and fades within the notes accords, animating the fragrance with an ambiguity that often is a mark of the greatest masterpiece fragrances and masterpieces of art. (For instance, Yatagan, Encre Noire, the Mona Lisa, many Damien Hirst's works). This ambiguity makes them susceptible to caricature. It is understandable that this characteristic results in a definite rejection for some.

On me, the fragrance has very good longevity and projection.

Thanks a lot to pianomanmiller! It is because of your review that I blind bought Grey Flannel.

I am very happy to have it in my collection. There is a possibility for it to eventually become a near signature for me.
______________________

Update: 04-26-2014

At the time of the fragrance launch, in the "peace and love" era, the "elemental" design of the bottle was very appropriate. But in our days and time, imo, it projects a non descript quality that does not do justice to the quality of the fragrance.

In respect of the original design of the bottle, if it's design was adapted to better fit the present time taste, I think it could better do justice to the unique qualities of the fragrance and make them more easily appreciated by a new audience.

However, I understand that to keep the historical quality of the fragrance, it is justified for the manufacturer to maintain the design of the bottle as it as been intended in the first place.

nimeshjoshi
nimeshjoshi

Unique smell ; but sickening . Not for me . Blind buy it ; but never used it second time . To me it smells like Indian oleander (Indian name - Kaner) .Don't even think to buy it .

cytherian
cytherian

I'd read about how Grey Flannel once had days of glory, then the licensing for this fragrance changed hands resulting in a reformulation. And another, and another...

So what we have today is supposed to be a kind of shadow of a once well respected and sought after fragrance. I wasn't ever going to bother sampling it, but one day at a local retailer I was able to do so. I figured why not, as I had some time to kill.

After a good strong spray and some time for the dry down, I smelled my hand. Interesting. I didn't realize I'd mistakenly doused my hand with liquid laundry detergent. No wait, did I slip my hand into a box of dryer sheets?
;-)

No disrespect to those who love the current Grey Flannel, but I find it very mundane and "laundry commercial" like. Not that violet will always smell like that, but something about the soapy way it is done. I can't shake loose the detergent association. I was so disappointed in this, that I will never bother to track down a vintage bottle of the stuff. I could almost feel the flannel lint in my nostrils. Now I'm off to find a Geoffrey Beene-bag chair in which to sulk.

pianomanmiller

I purchased this as a "blind smell"! The little boutique that we have here in town didn't have a tester and the lady was a little shocked that I was interested in buying it. I can't remember why I was interested but I'm so glad I was. At first I thought I had jacked up! It was completely different from anything I had ever worn. But the longer I wore it the more I fell for it. It is a very masculine, long lasting fragrance. I have worn a lot of cologne, everything from Tom Fords, Creeds, Dior, you name it. But I have received more complements from this fragrance than any other. And it was only $19 bucks!!! I'm sold!

MrStinky
MrStinky

The bottle I have I purchased in the 1980's. The other day I pulled it out to try it again after all these years of being tucked away on the shelf. It will now go back on the shelf & stay there, almost full for probably another 20-some years. Nice bottle...the contents? Not so nice. I don't even know what to compare it to.

Just say no.

sranjit
sranjit

i blindly bought it. While the opening is bewildering and berserk, a smooth and calm drydown is the saving grace for Grey Flannel. I wonder if it has been reformulated and something went haywire during that exercise or if it has been smelling like that since inception. perhaps, a strange combination of violet and galbanum is giving this juice such a crazy start. Grey Flannel stays on my skin for 6-7 hours. But for its cheap price, Grey Flannel should not be a blind buy.

i came across another perfume called Arabian Night by American Fragrances, which has a very simialr but very balanced and enchanting opening and an equally nice dry down.

crystal02
crystal02

I used to work at Walgreens. I would sell perfume and one time this guy came in to buy grey flannel and I smelled it and thought it smelled like dirt and tree roots on a rainy day and did not like it.

ClutchC
ClutchC

I don't get all the negativity with this. I think it's well made and interesting. You have to like violets, otherwise stay far away. I bought it at Ross for $10, expecting to hate it based on all the bad reviews but for $10, what the hey? I'll be keeping and wearing it when the mood strikes.

Saransh101089
Saransh101089

A lot of people around me hate it but I love it.
Very different and very versatile.
Good longevity, good projection, decent price. Overall a good deal.

Note: Not for young crowd. I would say 25 and over can wear this. Also sport this fragrance with formals not casuals.

iammyping
iammyping

This is essentially eau de urinal cake at first. But...Not entirely;) First sniff- damn this is strong. Damn this stinks. But You would made a mistake if You would not give this a chance, because after the really tough opening it is sits among most elegant scents on the market today,period. Love the simplicity of the bottle. I adore that little grey sock that comes with every single bottle. Compliments? None so far, but I dont care. What I do care is the fact, that company gives away to charity ALL THE PROFIT FROM GREY FLANNEL. You dont hear MUGLER, CHANEL or YSL are doing that.I rest my case:D

P.S. I wouldn't recommend anyone buying this blind, but please TRY this classic.

Jason Bogie

The reformulation is still a beast and applied correctly, is a great solution for a very hot climate as it keeps you fresh all day long.

GMK
GMK

I love classic scents, most of them are disliked by our generation but imo scents prior to ifra restrictions , were rich , vibrant and long-lasting...

Keeping in view the same i decided to try Grey Flannel which is being praised by some very respected reviewers but I find it very out-dated and absolutely not wearable at least for me.

I dont know if it attracts some one but to me its a linear violet , Rose scent which smells Feminine and reminiscent of so many cheap soaps and detergents.

Kiku
Kiku

I've heard a lot of complaints about Grey Flannel because it has been reformulated. Every scent has been reformulated. How is the reformulation? Some are so bad they will break the heart and make you scream, "Why didn't they leave it alone?!" Not so this one. Grey Flannel is still great. Still that wonderful blend of herbs, citrus, and quiet flowers. And still not one for the pretty boys: it is dry and dusty with an understated sophistication. No silly macho either, it is manly in an elegant way. A classic that every man should have. Every woman, too. A great scent like this has no gender.

Critic
Critic

Very unrefined. Clean and almost soap like at times, but really quite rough around the edges.

arzacu

I bought this a few moths ago. It smells just how I imagined it, pure violet, iris and oakmoss, great! It reminds me of Chanel n 19, definetly it's masculine counterpart!

JakePowell
JakePowell

shayeri, have a look on Coty's Aspen, Creed Green Irish Tweed, and Davidoff Cool Water. These are the few that come to mind regarding Grey Flannel. Personally, none are all too similar to Grey Flannel's unique herbal green smell. A great one, and a classic indeed.

sultaria
sultaria

I bought this for my boyfriend because of all the great reviews. I ended up loving this as both an incredible male cologne and as something I would wear myself. It is citrusy, lightly powdery, green, and with a definite bergamot note. This scent is not only a classic but also very affordable. It smells so much better than many of the typical male fragrances out there. I will definitely repurchase.

devrajsingh73
devrajsingh73

Very unique. But surprisingly I get very strong and dominating cumin. Which is not even listed in the notes. What it could be ?

Maver1ck
Maver1ck

I am not sure whats is wrong :( but this perfume gives me a humungous headache. I tried it a couple of times and there it was, a nagging, irritating throb in the temples! :( discontinued it for a week and then tried again. The same result. Now I am running away from this perfume like a thief from cops! Will gift it to the brother-in-law :)

Heaven Scent 777
Heaven Scent 777

This is a scent that is very unique in that you will find no other that smells like it. It's old school for sure and that's one of the reasons i like it so much. Grey Flannel has a green and fresh smell. The most prominent note i detect is violet but it's fused very well with the other notes to make the overall smell quite a nice mesh of odors. The fragrance comes at a nice price and lasts fairly long with good silage and projection. The name 'Grey Flannel' implies that this is for someone over 35. I tend to agree. The name also implies that it's fragrance that would suit someone...well in a suit, preferably an all grey affair. I'd agree. If you want a scent that stands out from the crowd and isn't as weak and banal as modern fragrances then buy this.

Scout
Scout

Wanna cuddle? Ok, but first, go fetch some firewood and build a nice one in the stove. Then let's have some tea and a toddy and.... ? There. A little sweaty? Good. Now I can be close to you.

Redbeard
Redbeard

I don't know about grey, but maybe dark greenish-purple. Here come some manly flowers! You walk into the enchanted forest, and a gang of gnomes beats you over the head with bunches of violets. For me the top is very strong and largely ungirly flowers, and the strength falls off sharply to a base like an idealized laundry detergent or an Irish Spring-like soap. I'm just not sure I want to smell like that. However, I think this stuff really shines as a room spray or linen spray, smelling like hyper-clean laundry, but it requires heavier doses for this and it will completely disappear within a day or two. Fortunately it's cheap enough that using a lot isn't an issue. I used to spray some on my neck before bed to relax me as I drifted off. I only got rid of my bottle because it started to leak.

Mathew Jacob
Mathew Jacob

Reformulated or not...vintage or new...whatever it is?..This is a very nice fragrance with good longevity and projection..not too strong...can wear daily..reasonable price..it stays a very long time with you....Hats off ..Grey Flannel...

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

I wore this in high school. As a teenager I was wild about violet frags, and this was one of my favourites, along with DvF Volcan d'Amour. I still have some old bottles (20, 30yrs old?) and I occasionally wear a drop. I like it in the same way I like Eau Dynamisante; it's fresh and clean, starts out astringent and mellows. For me, it's more of a bath/toiletries product than a scent, if that makes sense. It does remind me of another older fragrance which I don't have to hand, Chanel No 19 or Dioressence maybe?

Some have said there is a parallel with Creed's GIT (a friend's favourite), and I have to say I prefer the GF. Somehow it smells more modern to me than GIT. (A little aside: when this friend came to stay he must have spilled a drop of GIT in the guestroom and it grew and festered and became all kinds of stale and weird for months until we couldn't stand it anymore and threw out the rug. I'm pretty sure if you spilled a drop of GF on your rug it would smell like GF until Jesus called you home. But I haven't tested this theory.)

Review of the Jacqueline Cochran formula, in production from 1980 - 1987:

Undeniably the template by which Creed's Green Irish Tweed was created, this formula is smoother, softer, and altogether a different fragrance than the current version by EA. It opens with a brisk lemon note, very clear and fresh, accented by a bit of galbanum. Within a minute it dries down to an extremely well-balanced violet, violet leaf, and sandalwood accord, with sweet hints of tonka. In all my years of wearing and examining fragrances and their many notes, I have only once come across a masculine drydown this sweet, green, and balanced, and that was in GIT. If, by some incredible stretch of the imagination, Cary Grant wore GIT in the 1950s or '60s, it would have smelled like J.C. Grey Flannel. This is a very specific harmony between ionones and genuine Mysore sandalwood, perfectly expressed in a forgotten fragrance.

Those Youtubers who do Grey Flannel challenge vids and make screwball faces in disgust are forgiven for sampling a bitter green chypre (the EA formula) that shares more in common with Jacomo's Silences than their beloved Creed. If they tried this formula, their collective opinion of Grey Flannel would change immediately. If you see the little J. Cochran sticker on the bottom of the bottle, and the label reads "Cologne: New York" (No "Paris"), don't think - just buy. This is the pure parfum extrait of Grey Flannel, only the second formula in the 5 formula history of this fragrance, and very likely the oldest version you'll ever see.

I'll add that while I personally prefer the J. Cochran version, I also love the EA version. It smells great, and I'll always own it and wear it. It is simply a completely different chypre, and doing direct comparisons between it and the older stuff is awkward to say the least. Jeffrey Dame, former VP of marketing for Sanofi during the Grey Flannel years (and the man responsible for adding "Paris" to Grey Flannel's label), has informed me that some Cochran bottles and Sanofi bottles contain the same juice, because bottles and boxes were saved during corporate transitions, so a bottle labeled "Jacqueline Cochran" may in fact contain Sanofi Beauty's formula, and these batch crossovers very likely continue on through the FF years and even the early EA years. This explains why the Cochran and FF version of Grey Flannel are, well . . . read on.

The French Fragrances formula: Same as the Cochran version, but with a slightly sharper top note (more galbanum-citrus). A bit easier to find, but beware the possibility of variations in this batch. By this point in Grey Flannel's history the violet note was dramatically reduced in the methylheptincarbenate formula, for what that's worth. I still smell plenty of sweet violet, although a lot of the sweetness may be attributable to coumarin. In any case, if you're familiar with earlier incarnations of the Flannel, don't expect a huge difference here.

ReHan
ReHan

the choice of strong noses,
for my nose its more floral than powdery,
i call it the juice of the fragile glass,
a great classic inexpensive fragrance,
try it if you like strong long lasting scents.
juice 3.5/5
silage 4/5
longevity 4/5
projection 3.5/5
overall 3.5/5

word-doctor
word-doctor

Found for 10 beans. Have sought for some months, even mistakenly buying an over packaged eau de GF. I returned this one immediately at the next Ross up the freeway. I could smell a version of Dial soap and something my mom wore. I can accept that this one may be well-composed, green, etc, but it is not for me at all. Too much violet and powder.

Oh, and I was able to exchange for Bijan. Love it in the car...

Sillage: 4/10

RHONORAY
RHONORAY

This is not as I remember it. Starts off a little harsh, then dries down to a pleasant, but very close to the skin scent, influenced by the violet leaf, which I like, but at the end it's an aweful finish. I won't buy it again and may throw out the rest of the bottle.

I like Ulrich Lang's Lightscape, love the violet leaf influence, just wish it had better projection and longevity. Anyone have any sugestions?

olfactoryfan
olfactoryfan

For me, the only thing grey about Grey Flannel is the name and the colour of the cloth bag it comes in.

Because this intoxicating, vibrant fragrance seems to project a full spectrum of every shade and hue of the colour green. It's as fresh and invigourating as a springtime stroll through the park just after it has rained.

Quintessentially elegant, Grey Flannel is confident and refined. A timeless, captivating classic for the urbane gentleman.

Budman
Budman

This one was a scrubber for me. Got home and scrubbed that tester spray off my arm and threw shirt in a load of laundry. Honestly reminded me of a urinal cake. Sorry to the legion of fans, but once one gets an association with a smell, it is hard to look past it. I don't care if it has the most heavenly drydown, I don't want to suffer through that opening, especially if it is as long as some say it can be.

--UPDATE. OK, I admit, I was a little harsh in my orig review. I just happened upon an open box GF at my local Ross store and couldn't help myself. So I decided to jump in for the long haul and sprayed one good shot to each wrist. Went about my day and this isn't THAT bad. The drydown does get better. Sort of a fresh old fasioned soap, woody and violet.

I picture someone in office in Washington wearing this. It has a mature gentleman vibe. I just can't see ever getting a compliment with this and could see many actually not liking it. I did cuddle up with the wife that night to watch TV and got no negative comments, so that is a plus, even though I was still catching wifs of it 7 hours later (good longetivity).

I don't know, I suppose if I ever happen upon a small splash size again I'll buy it. Just to have as it is a cheap icon. I'd wear on Sunday or something while watching the games.

Brandon_4078
Brandon_4078

Sampled this on my wrist and although the top is harsh and hard to handle it actually painted a picture of a memory. It reminded my of my grandma's mildew-y basement that had a bathroom where my grandpa got ready for the day. Vision the mildew-y basement and the bathroom full of warm steam with the smell of male toiletries (i.e. shaving cream, Irish Spring bar soap, cheap old man cologne), that is what the top smells like with a harsh bitterness to it.

If you can get past the fist thirty minute to an hour it is a real nice violet and oakmoss with a manly soapy quality (Irish Springs perhaps).

When you get to the dry down its a nice woody with a touch of floral.

Really like this one but I don't think I could pull this off at 21, but in 30 years this would be perfect. It is defiantly nowhere near as bad as Dan Mish and some of the other youtube reviewers are saying other than the first 30-60 minutes being harsh.

kenwylde
kenwylde

I'm not a morning person. No, I'm not one of those sleepy-eyed bastards bumbling through the early a.m. like some half-wit zombie that wandered off of the set of The Walking Dead. I just don't like to be around anyone until after I've had my first cup of coffee and perhaps some eggs benedict or a touch of the creature, meaning whiskey or scotch. Yes, this stuff is very strong and perhaps even offensive when first applied and I can completely understand why many do not like it. But I do. I love this juice like no other. It clears and maintains my personal space. It's like having a bodyguard, someone to keep the clamoring peasants away. And then it dries down and the greenery and the oakmoss roll back in and the angels sing and the birds take to the skies and together they lift up their song and invite all the great unwashed to come back. And then they do. They always come back.

Grey Flannel would be my everyday scent but life is too short to forsake all the other beauties of the world and settle for just one. This holds true for lovers as well. Sorry, ladies.

crilov
crilov

a parfume cheap but with quality.
It seems really elegant, fresh clear and green.
I like it a lot.

wachirael94
wachirael94

Reading Fragantica reviews helps me discover a gem of fragrances. That is Grey Flannel, I bought it without testing it before, as in my country it's not available.

It does not disappoint me at all. Even though its 1st notes strike me a bit, but the heart notes remains so long that I d like to wear it daily.

Basicly I wear it for the whole day, but often for my dinner time as well.

sillage and projection 5/5

ritsjoey
ritsjoey

When I first smelt it, I hated it. It smelt too bitter (if that makes any sense). Yet, everytime I sprayed it on my hand, I couldn't help but sniff my hand every now and then. It's this quality of the perfume that really amazed me.

In the last year, I've been learning to undertand and appreciate the subtle calmness of Violet & Iris flowers (Iris is the 'film-noir' of flowers).

Cut to yesterday, when I just couldn't resist buying this beautiful juice. Everything about this perfume - the grey bag, the minimalistic bottle, the smell - is just so unique. It's sophistication in a flask.

I am 27 and I thought to wait until I turn 40 to start wearing this but I fear they might pull it off the market. This is not for your average, wimpy 20 something (read: me), proper attire is a must and should be dealt with gently (GF is a monster. 2 sprays will be great for the whole day).

Grey Flannel commands respect and it deserves every bit of it.

Overall: 4

5 Nose-gasm
4 Awsome sauce!
3 Good but not exciting enough
2 Meh!
1 Hell to the no!

missan

Does anyone know if E.A. has more than one formulation of this?

Robert G. Rodríguez
Robert G. Rodríguez

It´s just a classic for men. I remember, a man early in the morning running to work on the revolution avenue of TJ, his aroma was an amazing strong and powerful violet scent blended with some citrics, It was quite like wood-chypre vibe,That smell stayed sorrounding on my senses forever..lovely!!

jivanshi
jivanshi

I bought this blind online, intrigued by the reviews (it isn't readily available over the counter, and for a good reason I think, maybe it should even be sold on a prescription basis). It really IS unique, powerfull, heavy, fresh but not sweet, a verry bitter kind of fresh, heaps of crushed green violet leaves fresh. If you venture and use it on skin, during the first nuclear 30 minutes you'd better not show yourself in public, but after that, it is really not that bad! It's even kind of nice in the long run, it doesn't smell bad at all, and it lasts all day. About the projection I have no idea, I only wore it once, and after those excruciating first 30 minutes, my nose was completely numb. But, since I was not lapidated in the street, dogs didn't bark at me, fleas were not jumping off of the cat, I guess it was allright. But I'm not looking forward to another experience like this, when there are so many alternatives.
Someone said that this was known in the day as "the diplomats fragrance". True maybe, but remember, it was the Leonid Brejnev era!
A good ideea would be to use it only on the clothing - apply it inside the jacket late at night and it will be ready to be worn in the morning - someone said that it doesn't stain clothing. I think this is the most humane method to wear this.
All in all, it's cheap, all the profits from selling this goes to cancer/alzheimer research and animal protection, so I don't regret buying it. But I wonder how long it will last me this one bottle, how many generations that is, and what will happen if I drop it accidentally on the floor! Scary thought!

parveenleo7
parveenleo7

Not upto the mark as old version was..... The newer i think killed the formula..........

ImpishLisa

I am a hetero woman, but I admit to loving this so much that I wear it. I first bought it for my husband at Christmas one year, but ended up taking it over.

I wear it when i want to feel hugged, or like I can cuddle up on the pillows and just relax. It is timeless, and masculine. I don'
t get the floral notes when i wear it. It is extremely masculine to me, in a classy and blue-blood way. Clean. Fresh. Crisp. The herbal touches keep it earthy and the woody notes keep it grounded.

I will always keep a bottle of this for me. I might let the guy wear it once in a while. ;)

GIMP
GIMP

This was supposed to make me feel a bit more masculine. Well, it did. I was a gay man in the early 1980s. Scary, huh? I hid my fear inside of fine fragrance of the day. Perhaps thats why I am still here...

Seriously, the cologne splash of GF made me feel more confident with my masculinity. It was clean, fresh and oddly reminiscent of my grandmothers classics. I always felt ravashing with this stuff. Indeed, it is the gay mans Chanel no 5. I have no idea how a strait man can wear this stuff, frankly.

I had no idea it contained so many florals. It makes sense that so many of my friends had to get a bottle in the day. It is more refined than say Chanel No 5 that I actually tried a few times. GF is smooth and sultry and begs someone to come, love you. Yes, I am still waiting for that special someone that I know will never show up. Until then I will always have some GF to hold me up!

EmilyTheStrange
EmilyTheStrange

One of my favourite mens fragrances that won't break the budget. There is something very clean, fresh and "handsome" about this fragrance, to me. I think it's a perfect scent for guys in their mid-late 20s right up until their more mature years. Honestly haven't smelled any other cologne quite like this one, and unfortunately it's becoming harder and harder to find at my local chemists.

hbomb9410
hbomb9410

My nose went straight to the almonds. My boyfriend wore a sample of this today and all I could smell was Play-Doh. I didn't even realize this was such a classic men's fragrance, so I'm sorry I can't appreciate it, but I hope he never wears this around me again.

dromidreza

کلاسیک...مردانه.... خوشبو.ماندگاری متوسط وپخش بو مناسب.میگفتن عطر شاه بوده.الله اعلم !

Jimmy Carter
Jimmy Carter

A polarizing scent that inspires sensual confusion. One month I deplore it, the next I am completely taken. A lot of hullabaloo surrounds it in regards to datedness, but I think that that would be to miss the point of the fragrance entirely. Its minimalist-chic bottle sits next to a small, quaint vase that holds plucked honeysuckle on my dresser, evoking a Victorian scene that makes the aroma of Grey Flannel come full circle. This isn't dated, its simply ultra-mature. To me it is a mono-aromatic scent, almost like the violet version of the centuries old 'golab'.

It is old without being aged, it is sharp without being piercing, it is bitter without being tasteless, and sweet without being cloying. It is insulted by its own price tag.

For the sake of objectivity, let me level a criticism. This one gets a lot of compliments for its drydown, but to me its drydown is a merely less overbearing shade of the original blast. If you don't like the way this one starts, it IS possible that it will not get much better for you. And despite all of the flattery this one gets lavished with, I'd posit that it is not only possible but likely that you'll hate GF through and through (especially if you find florals hard to wear). Subtle application is a must.

fragrantpete.
fragrantpete.

This is for grown-ups. and I don't mean the elderly.
Its sophisticated.
Its gin and tonic . not alcopop...
Its grilled plaice..not fillet o'fish.
Its Kate Bush...not Britney.
Its Morrissey...not Jay Z.

So if you tend to the second list..its probably not for you.

malcner
malcner

Another opinion on Grey Flannel may not be needed here, but here I go anyway!....
OK, so I was looking for lavender fragrances online and somewhere mentioned this classic as a right beauty. So I got right on Amazon.co.uk and got myself a 120ml bottle for about £13....bargain! This was before I knew anything about the "Grey Flannel challenge" thing on YouTube lol...that might have put me off!
There doesn't seem to be any lavender in it after all, but what there is, is violet....ALOT of violet! People weren't kidding about that!
I wanted so much to like this fragrance, but unfortunately I'm joining the haters on this one.....for now, maybe it will grow on me...?
I've only sprayed it on my arm as I couldn't stomach it for long enough to actually wear it out. It's just too overpowering. The opening isn't very pleasant, which I was expecting, but I waited for the lovely dry down that i heard o much about, but sadly, it never came :-(
I like old school fragrances, so wasn't put off by the "outdated" jibes this one got, but this stuff is quite "old folk-y" I have to say. It just remind me of someone's granny. I don't find it masculine other than the fact it's too heavy to possibly be a woman's scent.....it has the projection and longevity of an old school powerhouse, but it's unfortunate that it simply smells disgusting!
Sorry Grey Flannel, I will try you again at some point. Maybe you will grow on me....probably not.

FSU92grad
FSU92grad

Signature Scent ? Unique composition ? Timeless ? That is what people are saying about this fragrance ? This is perhaps one of the worst fragrances I have ever smelled in my life....Potent, pungent and so long-lived that it takes 3 showers just to get it off your skin...Who would wear this stuff ? Seriously...I don't see anybody wearing this fragrance unless you're over 75 and like to offend people.....Top 5 worst scents IMO....This is NOT a must-have...It is a "run the other way if you see this on the shelf" have.....

LANIER
LANIER

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene is a classic from 1975 created by Andre Fromentin. This Woody Oriental has been a part of my perfume life almost since it hit the market back in the first years of the rise of Disco and a new age in men’s fashion and style, rise of the GQ man and the death of the hippie as fashion god. It is a classic that to me embodies New York and the sartorial glamour of that city as few other American fragrances can.

It opens with a stylish warm citrus blast of Neroli, bergamot and lemon which are made unusually sophisticated by the addition of a very bitter rich green galbanum and a woody citrus petitgrain. This opening is bright and sharp and swiftly over to be followed by what I think is the showstopper surprise.

Here we move into a floral perfume for men that is stunning in its complexity and daring by today’s standards and ideas for a masculine fragrance. Spring is in full bloom along 5th avenue atop the gardened terraces of the deco apartment buildings that face Central Park; it is all here in the middle notes. A sensuous blend of bold Violet, irreverent Iris, rose over flowing the planters, golden Mimose, green heady Narcissus, are tethered to a grounding desert sage, and dirty earthy geranium. This Sage and the geranium keep the notes all low like a humming baritone cello and pull the chorus of soprano florals into a beautiful masculine tone. It is Tony Bennett singing “Maybe September”, smooth, sophisticated and a little melancholy.

The base notes are a strong foundation of the old standards of Oakmoss, Tonka bean, Cedar and a sharp very green vetiver. This is spiked with a bit of almond that gives the perfume a woody nutty warmth in the dry down. There is a bit of a soapy feeling too but not detergent or cheap bar soap, but rather a very superior rich soap reminiscent of some of Roger e Gallet’s fine soap scents.

As for longevity it is a real long distance runner. Well paced for the long haul and comes in a winner every time. People always comment in the positive when I wear Grey Flannel. The sillage is out there as is the norm of these old classics from the 70’s so it is something to use with discretion. After 8 hours it moves in close and stays there.

This fine woody oriental fragrance is something for a man of taste and a well developed nose. Often younger noses find Grey Flannel to be a bit more than challenging. I believe that is from the over glut of the Cool Water’s and Aqua Di Gio’s of the last twenty five years. Not to mention the supper sweets of A-Men and sickly bubble gum 1Million. The watering down of the public tasted in perfume. Mainstream perfumers have moved away from complex and challenging creations to meet the demands of the buying public that only want to smell “clean and fresh” One only hopes that time will bring style and originality back into the mainstream.

FIVE GOLD STARS *****

(FOR THE STORY THAT GOES WITH THIS REVIEW CHECK OUT MY BLOG SCENTS MEMORY)

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

I never thought of violets as a masculine note, but in GF they blend perfectly with the more traditionally masculine accords such as oakmoss and vetiver. For a scent which tends to be associated with gentlemen, be warned!---GF is POWERFUL, as much of a longevity and sillage monster as the newer male frags, even more in some cases.
The top note comes across as almost musty, and I was ready to say "YUK! Let's wash this one OFF!", but then the violets kicked in and I was in love.I have to go lightly, though.
This will definitely be an addition to my male fragrances.

Na0

Let's make an update... Cause I wrote my first review a few days after bought it...
Well. My signature scent, my favorite. Period.

I mean, I usually wear woody/oriental/spicy scents, and... As I didn't know it was a chypre, I blind-bought it (WHAT ? You blind bought Grey Flannel ? Are you stupid ?!) simply because of the group and notes.

So, indeed, as I said in my previous comment, it's a chypre floral one... And waw... A marvelous one. Totally different for what I sniffed far. If one day, someone would have told me "You will love a floral perfume"... Ah ah. But yes.

Let's get the point to the scent itself. I HATE the opening, smells on my skin like a chemical acid urine. Horrible... But, as we said "don't judge a book by its cover", that's so real for this one.

Once the drydrown arrives and the bad chemical scent goes away. That's a marvel, an hidden one. Be patient with it, cause the beauty of it comes after ... 20-30 minutes, not before. Don't pay attention to the "Grey Flannel challenge" on YouTube, cause this is misleading. They are right with the opening, but they don't talk about the heart, which is an elegant bouquet de fleurs, reinforced by a discret woody note which makes its strenght behind its sweetness.

So well, for me, it's a great unisex. Women could love it cause of floral notes, men could love cause of woody strenght. Haters could hate it cause of its baaaad opening.

But, give it a try. Judge by yourself and not only in 10 seconds. You could don't love it cause yes, it's very special, unique and bold. But that's silly to don't love it because of the opening, cause its secret is well-hidden !

Smell : 4 / 5
Versatility : 5 / 5
Longevity : 5 / 5
Projection : 4 / 5

Overall : 18 / 20

mustafa24
mustafa24

i don't know how to describe this scent its clean and fresh. but first whift of the scent isnt that great, but the drydown is very nice and longlasting smell.

almondcookie
almondcookie

As a female this is one male fragrance I actually like. It starts of overpowering but drysdown well. I like the floral and powdery notes. If anyone walks past me wearing this I would detect it as it has been my dads signature for over 30years. I would rate this fragrance 9 out of 10.

missan

I have three bottles of this, two edts and one AS, one edt and the AS are made in France, one edt is made by EA in US.
I think all are very good, but I like the AS the most.
Don´t know if EA has had different formulations though.

Jose Marcos
Jose Marcos

I do like GF, and a lot. I wear it from time to time for special occasions, in Brazil it is virtually unknown, but to my nose it is the rose note the most dominearing, thus I always have a strange feeling it is a woman's scent. apart from that, and t IS a strong scent, I don't see anything wrong with Grey Flannel. We all have preconceived ideas and that counts a lot in our judgement as a wholle. If no one knew its background and had an effecient ad campgne it would be sold at a high price and nobody would dare saying anything against. That's how we human beings are. You may not like, I don't all the Thierry Mugler line, but we all should be able to recognise the quality of things, even when we don't like them.

Quick note in light of the recent negative reviews: If this one is too sharp, crude, or musty for you try and find the French Fragrances (the name of the company) aftershave formulation.

LOLAISA
LOLAISA

10 years ago I bought it for my boyfriend. The reason I choose it was the reasonable price, I did not had allot of money that time, so deposited to go with this one... I liked it, but it was to different for my tastes at that time...

Week ago 10 years later, when I forgot about that boyfriend and Grey Flannel and when I became perfume addict, in Parisian subway someone behind my back was smelling of it... First guess is it a woman of man? I realize I know the smell and immediately recognized the Grey Flannel; Then in metro I already knew that I will buy it for myself!

Received it today, try it on my skin, PERFECT! Woman can wear it, it is very flowery and a little sweet, clean, intelligent and gentle; A get allot of violets, citruses and a little rose. Very beautiful, calming and clean scent for man or WOMAN to me...

browne54
browne54

I understand this is a definitive fragrance in the art of perfumery. However, I personally cannot stand it. I have never smelled the vintage which I understand to be different from its recent reformulation. However, WAY too much violet. So unbelievably overdone in my opinion. And when it mixes with the oakmoss (a note I am extremely fond of) the concoction takes on the olfactory resemblance to bug repellent in its first hour. Now I will say once it settles I enjoy the drydown A LOT more, but not enough to like the fragrance. I understand this one deserves respect but when comparing it to other classics of the era such as Azzaro and Polo green it seems so unbelievably dated where the others do not.

BTW, for me, it's not an Oriental Woody, it's a Chypre Floral one

Mancorp
Mancorp

The extreme reactions this fragrance provokes tend to blanket out more considered appraisals of its strengths and weaknesses. It has both. I've sampled both the vintage and the current formulation and they are, indeed, strikingly different. The vintage has the strong violet leaf coupled with a musky spiciness in the middle notes reminiscent of Royal Copenhagen. I suspect that at that point (in the vintage) I'm smelling mimosa but the overall accord reminds me a little of linseed oil. Once that is gone, the violets take over and hang around for quite some time.

The new formulation seems to dispense with the middle notes and is violets from start to finish. In that sense, it's fresher, more linear and, therefore, less dated.

My real problem with GF is in the far drydown where a musty salty/metallic note creeps in. I suspect that this is the violet leaf aromachemical becoming unconvincing at low volume much like an electric guitar played unplugged. This is the case with both the vintage and new formulations.

jtnhtn
jtnhtn

i really like this cologne, but it aims at the older crowd. I'm a teenagers and i think it smells good. Even though nobody liked it at my school.

Na0

Behind its simple but classy bottle, that fragrance looks like it ! The perfect balance between floral and woody notes. It's rare to have floral scents for men and we always said that what is rare is beautiful, that is so true for this fragrance. If you want to be versatile, a man with wood's force and flower's sensibility, then, go for it !

EDIT : One thing I forgot to say, and I think it's important to make a point. I'm 27 years old. So, maybe it's a fragrance for an "old man", due to its age (38 years) but I find it so classy, so energetic. I think that if you're a mature boy, you could wear it, even if you're in 20's-30's

raw umber
raw umber

If for some reason, I were forced to rename Grey Flannel, I would call it Verdant Bomb. Thanks to fellow Fragrantican Bigsly, I was able to do a comparison between current and vintage versions of Grey Flannel. The difference is like night and day.

Both the new GF and the vintage share the same freshly chopped green pepper, "verdant bomb" note.

The newest incarnation of Grey Flannel by EA Fragrances, is much more of a crowd pleaser than the vintage version. It is a citrusy, fresh and flowery, bright green aura opening right away with the juicy chopped green pepper. The new version dries down to something that could have been created by L'Occitane. It is masculine but flowery and citrusy enough to be unisex for anyone who loves green landscapes or light filtering through leaves.

It smells uncannily familiar, but not because I know anyone who wears it. It's just that accessible and good.

The vintage GF opens with something sharp, chemical and also extremely familiar only not in a welcoming way. It's almost like aerosol fixative, industrial adhesive, or something similar that I know but I just can't put my finger on.

It literally smells toxic in the opening, such that I could see someone trying to get high off of it.

However, it very quickly transitions out of that, into the chopped green pepper note which was hiding under that sharp chemical veil. The whole composition remains less flowery, airy, and fresh throughout its development. Something in the greenery is dark and decomposing.

The dry down of the vintage GF is spicier, drier, and arguably more interesting than the new version. Instead of being well rounded and luminous like the new GF, the vintage is a dark green silver color in my mind. The vintage smells more serious. Potentially lethal. A plant that kills. I would go for the new one over the vintage, but can see the appeal of both. Projection and longevity are very good.

Quintessential violet green.

hadrian
hadrian

What a marvel! Classic – but without being dated; mannish – without being harsh, and tender – without being sweet.
Grey Flannel is a gem, one of the Top Five perfumes that an American house dedicated to the masculine universe.
What’s happen when a man meets a mesmerizing violet – that’s the story of that scent.
The current formulation of that piece of history is surprisingly good. The price vs quality ratio is beyond imagination.
I can’t envisage a male–perfume lover who hasn’t that gem in his collection.
Great longevity, adequate sillage.
Overall, a deserved 8,7/10

LittleDragonette
LittleDragonette

Smells like a no-nonsense, non-hipster, confident man with a smile. And a coat. With a bit of scruff. Love it. This is an absolute STEAL for the price!

bambi27
bambi27

As I woman I find myself very attracted to certain Colognes! Grey Flannel was first foray into wearing men's cologne. Even though I'm usually a VERY floral person - Muguet is my girl - I can NOT stop smelling my arm, when wearing him! I have worn this since I was in my 20's - hmm years ago! Men & women compliment me on it, when I tell them what it is they are surprised! I wear it at night, as it's a little heavy for the office! To me where Muguet screams dresses, he bellows suits! Just LOVE it!

ranchorita
ranchorita

The scent of this fragrance will always be one particular man and one particular moment to me. Things did not end well, but the memory of the fragrance has sweetened with time. Amazing how powerful scent can be, isn't it, and how suffused with emotion?

Years later, I enjoyed the memory on a pre-dawn flight from London to Paris next to a gentleman who seemed a slight bit too stiffly starched, but faintly redolent of Grey Flannel.

chayann
chayann

Classic..a bit dated but suits well with strong matured personality..This perfume is not for everyone.very strong and long lasting.. one spray is enough for me.

voltaire
voltaire

Long life to Grey Flannel, incomparable cologne for men!!

zola0203
zola0203

Initially reminded me of someone trying to deodorise a public toilet with a cheap anti-perspirant.

Admittedly the dry down is nicer but I still get the odd whiff of public swimming pool changing rooms, or roses watered with urine.

Shame it's not for me, because it's so cheap. Tempted to keep it just for that reason, but I think it's destined for eBay. Anyone interested please message me.

pdschrader
pdschrader

It is not the best, but it is certainly the best on a cost per ounce basis! I like to wear it once in a while, because there is nothing else quite like it. The dry down is great.

beaconaust
beaconaust

The violet is right up front, but not in a cheap, candy way. This is pure floral with a bit of rose and possibly geranium underneath. As it settles down, the floral top notes balance out with a woody base and herbal underpinnings. This is a men's scent that women like and some like to wear.

You can wear it anywhere at any time but use it sparingly if you are wearing it in the office as there will be some who won't appreciate it's distinctive scent. It is a long time favorite of mine.

Yan9
Yan9

Grey flannel has used floral notes and woody notes balance very well. No wonder this is a classic. Voilet note dominates initialy but in pleasant way.

The initial intensity of the fragrance is on higher side so sqirting this sparingly is a good option. The longevity,Silage and projection are at their best thru out may be 8 hours+.

I still smell this next day on my skin.

Great fragrance at very reasonable price. A must try for all perfume lovers.

xonta
xonta

Best floral fragrance ever ! Maybe belongs to 80s 90s but still a legend !

pbluberry
pbluberry

The initial spray was god awful but it drys down to a nice violet herbally smell. Although it's men colgne I do feel that it is more of a unisex scent since it's so clean smelling. I do adore it.

kambelzful
kambelzful

Honestly, it's not as bad as some people may say it is. But it is not something I would ever wear. It is very herbal and almost dirty smelling, like Ralph Lauren Polo. It has a heavy synthetic violet note as well. I like violet notes when done well, like in Fahrenheit or CK Man, but this does not do violet justice. I wouldn't be offended smelling it on someone else, but it really smells very cheap and not so good to my nose.

cheekychee
cheekychee

Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life!"
I will purpose to follow Jesus always in my soul. While I am down here I often pick up on worldly things I want to follow - some noble, some bad, and lots of neutral things, things that make my life interesting. Here is one of those things- Gray Flannel. I remember the first time I encountered GF was coming out of Bergdorf Goodman's. The man in front of me was wearing a lot of cologne and it was classy/magnetic/heavenly at once. I pursued him as close as I could for several blocks before blurting out the urgent question: "What is that cologne you are wearing?" He said Gray Flannel . At the time I must have thought I had experienced a coup de foudre for this stranger, and now I realize, it was the Grey Flannel. Been a follower ever since

Today, almost thirty years later I wear it and give as gifts. When I am house cleaning and spray my house and closets and linens with this because its part of my LIFE! I would say it's my signature fragrance except that its a man's cologne so I will just say, its my environment's signature fragrance!

It is so affordable, I want you to buy this next time your see it online, at the drugstore, or dept store.

TheLumineri
TheLumineri

I remember loving Grey Flannel in High School over 10 years ago, but hadn't used it since. I'd recently taken advantage of the Perfumania BOGO and re-purchased it - mainly for the nostalgia. After 10+ years, I'd forgotten how to use this spray - it's a little more complex than your normal spray-and-go. As soon as I'd received the bottle, I'd sprayed once on the back of my hand and sniffed......my mistake. The first whif of GF will ALWAYS be a kick to the face. That first spray will overwhelm you with "OMG WTF IS THAT!?" - BUT it becomes increasingly pleasant as it dries down until finally you have nothing but PURE AWESOMENESS enveloping your nasal cavities!

My trick for this juice is to spray my jacket a few hours prior to using it then cover it with a laudry plastic (or a recycling bag with a hole for the hanger). About a 30 minutes before stepping out the door, I'll hit the pulse-points with 1 spray each (4 total). By the time I'm ready to leave, my jacket has simmered into a dream and my pulse-point-sprays will enhance the jacket for an all-day walk on cloud 9.

I absolutely LOVE GF! Such a classic fragrance!

AbBlue
AbBlue

Finally, my 240ml bottle is here and I'm so happy. A night of elegance, mystery, flowers and galbanum. Now, let's find a suit to match... and a silk scarf too.
***
Finalmente, mi botella de 240ml llegó y estoy tan contento. Una noche de elegancia, misterio, flores y gálbano. Ahora, un traje que combine... y una bufanda de seda.

krmarich

Today I ran across a very old bottle at a local thrift store. The humble bottle seemed somewhat faded and is called "cologne". Its a splash. It cost $4. USDs. I opened it and sure enough it was as potent as I remember.

This was one of the first purchases I recall in 1978. The others were Pierre Cardin and Halston. This was more deep and mysterious. I believe this is close to the original batch as possible. Its discreet, refined and somewhat formal. Its every bit of a classic scent across time. The effect is like Chanel No. 5 for men!!!

A few drops opens with real galbanum and citrus notes that are very polite. The chypre notes appear at once-oakmoss, vetiver and patcholi wrap around one of the most romantic male bouquets ever-neroli, mimosa, violet, rose and narcissus can only be described as revolutionary. It takes its time to reveal itself. I spent the afternoon lavishing in this subtle masterpiece. Indeed, this is why its still on the market and perhaps the most popular male florals of all time. A few drops of this splash last a good 24 hours or more without a shower. It works like an EDP and quickly fills a room.

It is a rainy spring day as grey clouds roll by. You are in love for the first time. Grey Flannel encourages your heart and gives you the will to carry on. This is the fragrance of poets and dreamers.

I have to compare it to the current EA Fragrance version-EDT. They are close, indeed. However the current EA version uses mostly synthetic ingredients and roars like a powerhouse-hence the opening is abusive. GF was never a powerhouse. If you are a fan of the current, find an original for comparison-its like analog to digital. You can decide which is better.

subanday
subanday

Definitely try out before you buy, its not for every nose, but those who appreciate it, its a diamond in price of a crystal...smelled it 15 years ago and it captivated me and now i own it and enjoying it, very sophisticated projection, very manly..enjoy

lickthetins
lickthetins

meant for an older generation, old fashioned sensibility. It seems like the exact opposite of today's flagrantly sexual "Curve" - instead, cool and reserved. Something a pilot might have worn in 1950. Despite its price (cheap as shite), it has always smelled aristocratic to me. Like old money.

durbha75
durbha75

The first sniff of this perfume is scary - it smells terribly medicinal, almost like a harsh and sour hospital disinfectant. Slowly, however, it morphs into a more comfortable, flowery fragrance. The notes that I can identify throughout are violet, vetiver and oak moss. There is strong resemblance to Dior Fahrenheit.

The outstanding feature of this fragrance is its longevity. It lasts nearly 10 hours on me, more if sprayed on fabric. I am not sure about sillage, though the projection is also quite high.

Overall, an excellent budget-buy, especially considering the longevity and sillage department.

sergio.trentin.98
sergio.trentin.98

I have discovered it and immediately I have been captured by its oriental scent. The flower notes are nicely combined with woody and green tones. Designed for a classic man who looks for the future.

scissorshand_j
scissorshand_j

a vintage smell.recalls me some old days. but it is very feminine on my skin...

carpdragosandrei
carpdragosandrei

The first 5 minutes after i've sprayed this on i couldn't stand it.Too harsh, maybe because of the violet. After 30 minutes, somehow it reminded me of Dior Fahrenheit (which i love). One hour later i could smell Boucheron Jaipur (maybe because of the floral-citrusy notes). It settled clean and soapy for the rest of the day. I am not a big fan of it, but i have to admit that this is a refined one.

Anyway, buy it at least for the package. It worth the money, and it will look good in your collection.

aks16189
aks16189

This is a perfume for a patient man. The first hour and half is close to unbearable because of the strong smell of mossy greens. However, if you survive this extravagance, nearly 2 hours after you have sprayed it on your body this magical spray will start emanating a very subtle and beautiful smell. And this will last for almost 6-8 hours. So be patient with this one and enjoy the magic.

limited Edition
limited Edition

My CEO in the late 90s wore this frgrance and it really worked..I have a bottle in my draw at work which I use..I really enjoy the sentimental journey..6/10

aucffan1
aucffan1

I have loved and used this for 30 years.. Always can find some reason to wear it..

Seras213
Seras213

This smells exactly like a nursing home. Just awful.

sherryxfilesfan
sherryxfilesfan

I have tried to like this fragrance...it sounded like something I would like. At first whif of the cap it was pleasant...I was clean, soapy. I spray it on my arm and it is this vile, acrid sour note. Where did this come from?I ask myself...where did this beautifully clean fragrance go?? Right to B. O. Town.

yidansheng
yidansheng

cologne and galbanum green on the top, but wait, it's not going to take long for it to develop into a warm fragrance. Definitely classic and worth trying.

bought two bottles, and gave one to my boyfriend. he smells definitely cute with it.

Ali76
Ali76

That's right, it's a love or hate thing with this bad boy. You will immediately fall in love or you will go yukhhhhhhh. You will get complements or people will get offended (due to it's flowery pungent smell, if you are not careful in using it).

It's very matured fragrance and not for youngsters for sure..... kind of acquired taste even for matured guys.

But for me, I love splashing this juice on me (not over doing it of course) despite what reaction I may get from people. An amazing product at a very affordable price.

Mosschops
Mosschops

This is one of those fragrances that - for me - kicks me straight back to my childhood. My French Grandmother had a laundry cupboard full of soft, freshly laundered towels and linen. You'd open the door and get a gentle waft of a powdery, soapy and clean scent. For me, this is that memory. Dry, wintery and simplistically elegent.

shahab.zaidi

This is one of the classical colognes, i have ever encountered. just one spray is more than enough for whole day.floral and mysterious too.it gives me a feeling of an old mansion covered with green leaves and flowers. most amazingly it can easily be used by woman. i recommend ladies to wear it. u will for sure enjoy this.....

Bobster
Bobster

I have tried every which way to like this old school powerhouse but I can not bring myself too. I do not by any means call it a bad fragrance or dated or old manish. I do call it a fragrance that has stood the test of time with great projection and good longevity. Sadly, just not for me.

shahab.zaidi

timeless, classy and fantastic.

This is for the new version. One could call this a "nice" and green fragrance, but there is something really sour and acrid about it. This aspect is somewhat similar to the way a green olive tastes. Floral notes keep it from going too far in that direction, fortunately, so unless you really dislike that element, this is worth sampling. Also, the harshness of it doesn't last long. Then the florals become more pronounced, though with an "edge" due to the violet leaf. There seems to be enough complexity and dynamism here, and it's reasonably natural smelling. The oakmoss and tonka soften it up nicely. Socially, this is more formal or for the office by today's standards, and not for the young who want to "smell like everyone else." The quality to price ratio is excellent on this one, but it's not for everyone.

UPDATE: I now have some of the vintage version (French Fragrances). The sour neroli is strong here and lasts longer. Overall, it seems lighter yet is sharper, with better note separation (not necessarily a good thing if you don't like some of the notes). The reformulated version I have lists oakmoss and I don't think the oakmoss content was dminished substantially if at all. Rather, it seems that the sage and vetiver are stronger, along with the neroli, in the original. The new one feels thicker as well. So, if you want the smooth version get the new one; otherwise get the vintage if you can. I'd also advise making sure that whatever version you buy you make sure oakmoss is listed, unless you don't want it of course.

UPDATE #2: I recently obtained a 1980s bottle of Grey Flannel. It's a sealed spray bottle so it was not tampered with. It says Cologne and New York on the label (Paris is not listed). The label on the bottom says it was made by Sanofi Beauty Products (New York), and there are no symbols like you see on bottles from the 1990s. There is no super-sharp violet leaf but instead the bergamot is really strong. I can't remember any scent with such strong bergamot, actually, and my guess is that the idea was to balance the violet leaf with this tea-like quality, which is largely missing from the other two formulations I tried. This strong tea impression lasts perhaps a couple hours then the drydown is much more subtle, and nicely balanced (I have a feeling that some of the violet leaf note deteriorated over the years) I also have a small spray bottle of a non-EA formulation and the newest, EA formulation, and all three are clearly different, the newest being denser/thicker, less sharp, less natural smelling, less note separation, but a decent "cheapo" still. In this case, wearing a spray of each at one time would be worth trying. However, I will admit to not being the biggest fan of this scent.

NOTE: If you want a version closer to the original than the EA one, try to find a bottle that has French Fragrances of Miami, FL on the label that is on the bottom of the bottle.

lister
lister

I always say that some cheap old colognes are the best...Why?Maybe these scents bring back old memories?...I find this cologne pretty simple, but unique,Woody-floral, but powdery fresh.Soapy?Yes.It reminds me the smell of my fathers leather jacket,masculinity,in a pleasant,warm way.

B.Blackheart
B.Blackheart

I bought this initially for a husband, some 20 years ago, but ended up stealing it for me. I still think of it as a woman's fragrance because of that, although I'd be smooching all over a man who wore it.

jozemo
jozemo

The one and only timeless classic,love this and Kiton black which both smell outstanding,a scent bomb,rich and
elegant scent, a must have for the fall season.

boruvka44
boruvka44

My husband`s, but I enjoy to wear it every now and then. Lovely bitter&smooth quality classic. To me, the galbanum makes it smell like man`s version of Chamade. It´s also one of a few frangrance with violets i like. Galbanum, violets, sage, geranium flowers, cedar and oakmoss.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

This is THE best in expensive cologne you could ever get your hands on. My dad used to buy it at the perfume counters in fancy stores and I paid whhhaaaaa....9.00 on Overstock. I haven't smelled it on any man that I thought it didn't smell heavenly on. I bought this for my husband as a peace offering (I am in trouble for buying too many perfumes). But I may steal some for myself on a cold winter day. Buy it..even if you haven't smelled it. Buy it. The crappy colognes at Walmart cost more than 9.00 plus 2.50 shipping on Overstock.

leon.reid.9699
leon.reid.9699

A friend of mine used to wear this all the time and sprayed a light mist of diesel plus plus masculine over, just to give it a new dimension. I love it solo and with diesel.
Grey Flannel is timesless and whilst very woody often changes the tones with body heat and mood.
When I go to the gym I can smell the vetiver and oakmoss, I love it.
even after showering it manged to to break its way through my soap and leave a fresh masculine aroma.
I have to say it is an amzing buy

OdeKlotyo
OdeKlotyo

Green and crisp yet velvety, warm and plush. I'm wearing this tonight for the first time. I feel underdressed for it. Nevertheless it is glorious. Not to mention that it's ridiculously good value for the money.

karlovonamesti

Review of Reformulation: I've finally wrapped my nose around this change in my favorite masculine. The new version of Grey Flannel has markedly less oakmoss, which is a pro and a con, if you really know the older formula well. One issue with the older Grey Flannel (which simply says eau de toilette on the label, without the "natural spray" bit added), is that its mossiness made it smell a tad bitter and unbalanced, particularly with generous application in cooler tempreatures. You'd get a pleasant citrus opening and a beautiful heart accord, but maybe ninety minutes or so after application, there'd be this slightly-funky bitterness that basically smelled like natural and synthetic ingredients duking it out. So in this regard, the new version (with the "natural spray" on the label, and also with clear juice instead of brownish-green) winds up smelling even soapier, fresher, smoother, and better balanced than its progenitor.

The con here is that up-close sniffing for reference yields much less dimension to the new Grey Flannel. Its greenness isn't quite as vivid. That gorgeous oakmoss element is still there in an extremely lithe dose, but it's not enough. Whoever re-tooled this scent amped up the complexity of the violet leaf, and gave the violet note - yes, there is a violet note - a lot more screen time. Think of this more as a violet scent now, with a peppery violet leaf that occasionally veers into smelling metallic. The far drydown is very clean, fresh, and green. Still beautiful, still worthy, still cheap, and forever a beautiful fragrance. Try to find the older formula if you can, but also seek out this new version.

fuggerone
fuggerone

difficult to find a scent so great and also cheap, this is a true classy scent if you love manly scent this gotta be in your wardrobe!

mark.anderson
mark.anderson

Blind buy!......Wow!.... Big, bold, high five, in your face, with a chair, violet opening! .... But, this I expected after all the reviews.... Dry down was nice. Floral, manly, dry.... But very short lived! I'm talking 3 hours max!..... Perhaps it was because I was in my home workshop, making a new furniture piece...... After the reviews, I was expecting something special.... Something with staying power!... Some old school legs!.... Alas.
I'm awaiting my delivery or the the famous Caron Trio this week from the US. Yatagan, 3rd man, Pour un Homme..... Maybe I get the legs I'm looking for from them!

ann.sundwall
ann.sundwall

I have been fascinated by Grey Flannel every since I was a child. Why? I have no idea. I do remember testing it years ago and being slightly disappointed by the scent. But reading your reviews I began to want it again. And when I went to Marshall's today it was on sale for $7 USD for 4 ounces. So I bought it...and I love it. I realise it isn't vintage, and it is intended for men, but as a woman I love it. I bought a couple other scents (for women) at the same time and Grey Flannel is overwhelmingly better on my skin than the others. The top notes are a little intimidating, but they soon vanish to leave a wonderfully complex mix of herbs and florals that is just sweet enough to be pleasant without being cloying. The effect is a little lavenderish without the medicinal note that lavender often has. It really has everything I love: violet, roses, geranium, oakmoss, vetiver, sandalwood and tonka beans, in a graceful and balanced mix.

gazelle
gazelle

I've wanted so much to buy this EDT because of the violet note. Alas, it does not agree with my chemistry so I have hesitated to purchase it for my husband. He lets me choose his EDTs. I intended to share a few sprays from his bottle. I love violet and fragrances with oakmoss for myself. Yesterday I found an aftershave and already I can tell this concentration is more agreeable/tolerable on me. Unfortunately, I can't isolate the violet note. I'm not giving up, yet.

Yes! There's the violet note. We'll be sharing this fragrance til it's gone.

Alle Homme
Alle Homme

great, classic, timeless, so wearabble and cheap as well.

spartan

GRRRRR, Really step back let the ALPHA pass. When you put this on your attitude will change. Welcome to the realm of MEN, where immortals dwell such as Kouros, Azzaro, Antaeus, Lagerfeld, Polo, Fahrenheit, and yes Grey Flannel. Power scent pure and simple, put this on and the pups know the Alpha is near, so do the females.
Tip on how to wear this. Spray it on 30 minutes before you leave the Den, thats how long it takes to let the top violet note to calm down, then its all ALPHA.
This juice would sell at any price and has no know rival, for the price its A real value.

Now get out of my way.

Lucki
Lucki

I bring this water for a long time and I have the impresion of has to rediscover each time.
The holding and copy, like a perfume.
Real hit men.

Shanester66
Shanester66

I used to where this all the time back in the 80's. I always got many compliments on it. People said it smelled very different on my skin (In a good way). It was my signature fragrance for many years...its all I wore. Honestly, I just got burned out on it. I might circle back around one day...but not any day soon. ;0)

Stoycho
Stoycho

Today I bought... mmm I love it this cologne!
This is simple the best ;)

Jacster
Jacster

I buy it for my man. Not sure how he feels about it, but I *love* it - on him and in the bottle. He's had the EDT and the after shave. The EDT is stronger, but it's what I love. It's distinctly floral (yes, I too sense violets) yet unmistakably masculine. And it lasts! YUM!!

[email protected]
tyrip19562000@yahoo.com

IT'S DEFINETLY AN ACQUIRED SCENT,STARTS OUT REAL AGGRESSIVE AND HARSH,BUT AFTER ABOUT 20 MINUTES OR SO IT GETS BETTER,NOT ONE OF MY FAVORITES BY A LONG SHOT, BUT TO MY SURPRISE I RECEIVED MANY COMPLIMENTS,HARD COLOGNE TO FIGURE OUT.ONE THINGS FOR SURE YOU CAN'T BEAT THE PRICE,AND PROJECTION AND LONGEVITY IS REALLY GREAT.

pob75
pob75

The name suggests damp woollen suits and mustiness to me, which put me off and made me delay trying it out - so it came as a very pleasant surprise that the fragrance is beautiful, sophisticated and fresh.

It opens quite strongly but not the big slap in the face I expected after reading some of the reviews. Immediately it has an almost "fizzy" quality. Early on it feels a bit cucumbery to me with a floral freshness (mainly violet) and a greenish, somewhat citrus-like sharpness. The sharpness fades out and it smells great. Later it sweetens a little and feels more floral with some slight soapiness.

After the opening settles it is lovely, floral and fresh but always seems masculine and refined. Projection is impressive, persistent but subtle - people will smell it clearly but it won't overpower them. Projects very well for 8-10 hours. Lasts on skin for 14+ hours.

I love this. One of the most natural smelling fragrances I own. A lovely, clean, floral and fresh fragrance that feels sophisticated and persists well without feeling too strong. Excellent value for money - I'm buying myself a big 240ml bottle. I highly recommend this (unless you feel that all men's scents should be overtly and stereotypically masculine).
There are some excellent reviews here, but some others are very misleading IMHO - try it for yourself.

hairymary
hairymary

This is a lovely fragrance--Turin's "sweet green" describes it perfectly. To me, it smells like a lighter version of Private Collection. In no way does it smell distinctly "masculine" to me, whatever that means. It just smells green and lightly sweet and perfect, with that oakmoss or whatever they're using now underneath it all for a bit of depth. I wear it alot, and I'm a woman.

vgd
vgd

it is so clean beside its dark chracter. I can snuff smoky-soapy notes and it's so good esp. in rainy days. BUT that lovely scent comes after a dusty and old smell. Not same but first 15-30 min. period character looks like Paco Rabenne PH. You must endure the initial part exclusively if you are a young boy...

RobbieX

A gorgeous, yet medicinal and clean woody/floral fragrance for men. It's one-noted but smells great. Staying power is excellent and it's unique too. Quite inexpensive but this juice is top-notch. Love Grey Flannel to bits!

SnowStorm
SnowStorm

I've got a love/hate thing going on with Grey Flannel. There are days when I really want a potent spicy frag and this fits the bill - but it is not often. When I have to go into work all night and know I won't be feeling fresh when I leave I may grab this one. Any more than two squirts and it is overwhelming. My 4 oz bottle will last my entire lifetime. For only $12 at my local discount outlet I thought it was a good purchase.

nananessa
nananessa

This is my favorite man's fragrance. I have given this one to my X & to my sons. IMHO this is the best all-purpose fragrance for a man, along with Stetson, & Aspen. I love Grey Flannel so much I have dabbed a little on myself over the years. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

Edit update: I see Dr. Turin & I agree on GF & give it 5*****

I always knew this one was SUPERB! EXQUISITE! QUALITY. Mmmm,hmmm!

pepe7111
pepe7111

i see there is strong fan base here ...yes grey flannel is deserving it.i discovered in the mid 90 s ,my first compliment was when i bought a magazine and the seller lady - above 50 - had mentioned how pleasant smelling i was...of course i bought it due to its grey cotton but it was a love at firts sight.
later on the violet was beginning to bother .found it girly .but now i know i was wrong.this smell is complex : it has everything what it needs an iconic .timeless frag.from my skin its almost unwashable : the longevity is unbelievable.
sometimes i think that s the most important discovery for man frags : it like chanel no5 for women : the story of man scent begins with this.
what i always found interesting that it wasnt lounched and discovered in france ...

misterjohn
misterjohn

Based on the reviews and my recollection of secretly trying this scent as a kid from my grandfather's vanity, I thought I would love this one. Maybe some day I will, but that day is not today.

On paper it should be great--super projection and longevity, vetiver and interesting topnotes, but it's so dry that it doesn't work for me. Having now "splurged" for the 4 oz. bottle (for only $12!) and tried it several times, my nose simply does not "get" this fragrance.

It is as powerful and long lasting as advertised. The notes are exactly as advertised too. But somehow the lack of any sweetness just kills the fragrance for me. It's easily the driest fragrance I've ever encountered. So while it is unique and an exceptional value for those who enjoy the dryness, it just doesn't fit my tastes.

This is one to put aside for awhile.

Zenith
Zenith

No matter how good this fragrance might end up, It is the only one to physically make me recoil away from it.

Too strong, too brash, to aggressive, and sitting through that for me would not be worth even the nicest drydown.....

Having said that, many many people love this scent, so make sure you give it a go

i love this and always have. out of all the fragrances my man owns this is in the top 5 of scents. it's also a classic. it smells clean, softly spicy and powdery. it's well made and classy. theres a reason its been around for so long and it isn't because it smells bad. pffftt.

amaan.khan
amaan.khan

This Perfume taught me a lesson.
Every perfume need not be pleasant smelling.
Honestly, when i sprayed this for the first time, it almost choked me. I regretted buying this.
After some time i sprayed it again on me, and this time instead of going for a shower instantly i allowed it to stay. After 2 hours, i smelled it again and though i did not like it, but i managed not to hate it. But to my surprise i got some compliments.
And now i like it. I m still confused why it was made so irritating, but i like having a bottle in my wardrobe(tightly sealed).

This fragrance is not something you will ever love. But, it will be like the big brother among all frags. It is ruthless and dictates its own terms.

This fragrance can only be respected. That's all.

Kittycat63
Kittycat63

Wow, the reviews for Grey Flannel are very extreme - people seem to adore it or loathe it! I'm a girl (OK, well a woman actually!) and, as a reviewer below has noted, this is available quite cheaply on UK websites, or one that I know of anyway, and I'm quite tempted to try it for myself! I'm a bit confused by the reviews though because some people seem to think it has a womanly, or unisex, feel and others say it's very masculine. How confusing! I might take a chance though and order a bottle anyway because I can get it so reasonably. If anyone wants to give me any advice about it though then feel free to contact me!!! ;o)

haborym26
haborym26

everything important is written below from others.genuine oldschool masterpiece.for the leaders not followers.magic in bottle.

martin.bush
martin.bush

I love the crispness of this one. Oddly enough it reminds me of opening a botle of Dr. Pepper

elendiar
elendiar

I bought this one just a few days ago. It was a blind buy, as some would say. I find it blends gorgeously with my magnetic and yet mysterious and sensual personality. It is pleasantly amusing to notice how those around me, accustomed to high-end fragrances, can't figure out what this is.
To those that say that this is more of an "older gentleman" type of fragrance, I say: Nay! It is more of a "I don't follow rules, I break them" type of frag.

My only regret is that I noticed the 240ml bottle only after purchasing the 120ml one...

Take care!

Ale
Ale

I think it could be the "Dorian Gray " signature scent.

missan

I find the version from E.A. very good. even very, very good. Having said that, an old formulation from France I find much better. Better note separation and more natural smelling, more mossy and woody, a different more dirty tone in the violet. If you can find a vintage just buy it.

MrMookie

Most natural (non-synthetic) fragrance i ever smelled.
Its a sharp blast in the beginning with crushed flowers n freshly mowed grass mainly violets but well composed, very green!
Drydown is soft,tender,kind & laidback.
In my opinion the best laid back lazy sunday fragrance ever created.
It will not offend anybody i think this perfume is one of the most kind ones amongsts the sexy,macho, and bold perfumes around for men.
its not a perfume you should wear in sweaty night club or on a dance party for sure.
I think if you wear this right (smile with it) many people (women,men,and elderly people) are easily attracted to you because you create a aura of kindness around you.
Maybe a good advice to wear this if your a salesman...
My girlfriend told me that it was sex in a bottle after she smelled it on first sniff.
Maybe she likes kindness...

Second great thing about this is the price!
Many people here said its almost niche like and i totally agree with that. one of the cheapest niche perfumes around.

sillage+Longevity+scent+price+originality

stinkerweed
stinkerweed

This one is a classic. A masculine floral, with longevity. A little too long lasting some days. Bold, which may account for the name. A real 1980s sort of scent. Entirely possible to put on too much.

foxmulder_FBI
foxmulder_FBI

I have a soft spot for Grey Flannel. It was one of my first real fragrances and one, that while quite polarizing, can be considered a classic. Starting with the great price point, and the incredibly natural feel to the cologne, if you like the distinct smell of GF then it is a great value buy. The projection and longevity are excellent, it doesn't smell synthetic, and it is quite unique. The uniqueness of it is what first hooked me, I hate generic smelling juice.

The initial spray of GF is what turns a lot of people off, in my opinion. It is a very sharp grassy, floral smell with some faint lemon. This is a good place to mention the potency of this fragrance, the top especially, is very, very powerful. Not my favorite opening, but the rest is worth sticking around for.

After the initial blast, GF dries down into an incredibly clean smelling masculine floral, most noticeably violet leaf. The violet is very strong, but it is a clean, soapy violet. While the strong violet may give off the impression of a feminine fragrance, GF is far from feminine. Tempered by the oak moss, which is the next most noticeable note behind the violet, GF is masculine, woodsy, natural, and very clean.

Cheap price, and very good juice is you like the smell. A thumbs up from me.

moimeme
moimeme

Very distinctive, strong and manly aroma, usually for formal or evening events, good sillage and projection, to be worn with discretion as it tends to be overpowering.

Smellzgood
Smellzgood

As an afficionado of "old school" fragrances, I love Grey Flannel! Atypically masculine and powerful. Top notes are intense galbanum, neroli, and bergamot. Middle is sweet floral (violet and rose) balanced by sage. Base notes are cedar, geranium, vetiver, and almost indiscernable patchouli. A fresh, powdery amber lingers under the cedar and florals. Amazing!

addict911
addict911

EN MI PADRE SUELE TOMAR UN OLOR COMPLETAMENTE HERBAL, MAS EN MI PIEL ESTE ADQUIERE UN INCONFUNDIBLE Y PENETRANTE OLOR A VIOLETA, TENGO 21 ANIOS MAS EL AROMA DE ESTE CLASICO SE ME HACE UN TANTO ATRACTIVO

BUEN FIJADOR Y MUY PERCEPTIBLE, EN MI ALMENOS.

maricmanu
maricmanu

It smells to me like crush hyacinth and grass at first. After half an hour it-s totaly different. Pleasant, clean, persistent... it's something from other time.

Rob in VanCity
Rob in VanCity

Very nice 1 of kind smell! Nothing else smells like this!! But many, if not most people, will NOT like this smell. Wear this to impress yourself...not others!

verysherry
verysherry

GReY FLaNNeL

There are perfumes and then there are perfumes that make u trip with your eyes closed and body stretched into conscious yawns into a world of your own...
This is one of the trippy ones...
This is the scent of a MAN!!...a complete MAN!
Its strong and mixes well with the male chemistry...not too long staying but worth another spray!
The Perfume doesnt remind me of any other...its mossy and the scent is prominent unlike most perfumes that promise those...geranium and bergamot and lemon intertwine to make me feel the need to be with the guy who wears it...
its a damn SEXY perfume for men...
:D

Just the most AMAZING perfume EVeR
*ooh la la*

mark.gordon
mark.gordon

terrible. smells like souring laundry and some kind of baby powder soapy cover up. it makes me sneeze, makes my eyes water, makes me gag... I tried to understand this smell... i don't know why anyone would want to smell like this. yuck.

MrMookie

For what i read here, i guess this needs to be set on my wishlist, a scent with a story to tell.(unique and simple my key words in a good frag)
tnx guys its cheap in the UK so in need to order it there hope they ship fast.

Fizzy
Fizzy

An extraordinary classic man fragrance. I would not call it oriental woody, but chypre woody.

mkpiyengar
mkpiyengar

It has a unique pungent scent, which is strong and not my taste. You can smell the oakmoss very strongly, and that put me off in the perfume. It is very strong scent and even after few hours could not get the other notes. Had to wash it off as it caused a headache. Not for me for Sure.
Thanks

Coutureguru
Coutureguru

I've been wearing GF since 1984. My collection is NEVER without a bottle and even though I don't wear it very often, I'd feel somewhat depressed if it wasn't there to "go to" every so often. It's fabulous with jeans and a white shirt strolling on a sunset beach ... and even better straight out of the gym shower in grey sweats and sneakers! Can't beat the price either! Re-marketed under a different name, this could very easily reach niche and cult status ... and command HUGE fees!

RobAtSGH
RobAtSGH

Grey Flannel is where the green-grey needs to stop, before stepping over the line into the bombast that is Guy Laroche's Drakkar Noir.

The first time I smelled GF, I was a kid, and it was horrible. I picked up a sampler in a department store when my parents weren't looking, and sprayed it on my arm. I now realize that the bottle was off, because the Grey Flannel I dearly love now is nowhere near the putrid, pee-smelling stuff I remember from then.

After its initial blast of woody citrus, Grey Flannel reminds me of rain - a foggy, misty green-ness laden with violet tinges: Iris, violets, green violet leaves, grey sage and oakmoss. It's my go-to autumn/winter rain fragrance. Something about it just begs to be worn in the cool damp, under a wool overcoat.

Respect this stuff, though. A little goes a long way, and it is a power projector. It is confident, serious, and a little mysterious; the men's perfume equivalent of film noir.

evilspin
evilspin

I seem to like Tonka Bean notes cause everything i seem to keep smelling and liking contains tonka beans (my favorite being Hermes Vetiver Tonka). When I was a kid I used to like Grey Flannel because it is different & the violets, woodsy cabin lodge and grey opaque feel lends its uniqueness. It was one of the most masculine and different smells I smelled during the 80's like Fahrenheit, Obsession & Eternity without smelling like an old man or business tycoon. Unfortunately in today's society it is too recognizable as a very 80's outdated but classic scent but that doesn't hold up today with the rest of the woodsy male classics that still work today like, lets say, Fahrenheit? I bet if GF was re-marketed with a different name or never existed and Tom Ford had released it as one of their private blends series it would be a hit because GF has that strong woodsy brooding dark mossy, not for everybody scent that Tom Ford has in his private blend series marketed as unisex. Would be great if Grey Flannel got a reformulation and the bottle and notes get a complete makeover revitalizing its unique violet/vetiver/tonkabean notes like they did with Dior Homme & YSL. Still, This fragrance is somewhat of a guilty pleasure not for the scent itself but because it brings back memories and not everyone chooses this. The fact that its only 10 dollars and lasts all day and night and not a fragrance that has notes that go sour like most cheap colognes is a bonus. Consider this more as a "just showered and shaved cologne or casual wear" instead of a "let me wear this tonight and impress my well dressed friends fragrance" and you'd be fine.

jtd
jtd

This is a brilliant fragrance that might have traded some degree of acclaim for ubiquity. Well, time has passed and so many current perfume fans weren’t around when this bad boy was released. Time to reconsider it.

I’ve read Grey Flannel referred to as a fougère, but I don’t get much coumarin. Maybe just a touch to lend that particular quiet but high-pitched sweetness that works so well with the violet leaf. And I don’t get any lavender. I find Grey Flannel a citrus woody violet. Or let me make that VIOLET with some orange/petitigrain and cedar. This scent reads as crisp and immaculate; it would make an ideal alternative to the sporty–fresh wing of the men’s perfume market. But you have to like the violet leaf note or you’ll never love Grey Flannel.

Forthright, stark accords tend to appeal to me for their broad legibility and that fact that there’s always some degree of virtuosity even when the notes harmonize. The best potential for synergy is when seemingly different elements are connected by a couple of associative links, as in the seemingly Kevin Baconish degrees between bergamot, oakmoss and labdanum in a chypre. Here the connections are orange twigs to cedar (wood), cedar to violet leaf (a high-pitched camphorous note not unlike eucalyptus) and violet leaf to citrus (astringent.) The thin links connect; the large gaps allow for the inclusion of other notes that makes an accord like this so rich for new ideas.

Grey Flannel ties with Lauder’s Azuree and Private Collection, Balmain’s Ivoire, Gres Cabaret, Rochas Tocade, Kiehl’s Musk and Caron’s Troisieme Homme and Yatagan for best inexpensive fragrance available.

carera
carera

for me its very soapy remind me of camay soap also lux soap.

stelladoro
stelladoro

If you are allergic to mildew, stay away from Grey Flannel. I was buying cologne for my husband and tried this. It took my breath away, literally! The lady at the fragrance counter swabbed me down with alcohol to remove it, bless her. All that I remember is the strong bite of mildew and decay.

krmarich

This is the first commercial floral hit for men that I am aware of. It was trend setting in its day. its more of a floral chypre than anything. Its still rather distinct in todays market. I alway felt it a bit more avant gard than it marketing promoted. I guess gray flannel suites seemed more wise!

Its really more purple flannel than gray. The violet is really pronounced as well as the other crushed flower-namely rose and narcissus. The vetiver, oakmoss and patcholi seem to keep the composition under contol and masculine. It has a fresh washed/soapy quality to it

It really reminds me of Fahrenheit, only less harsh. Its not for dandies, just men who like to feel important. It hasnt been around for 35 year+ for nothing! A real classic. Ladies love it too!

johngreenink
johngreenink

I think Grey Flannel is a very, VERY distinct scent. You can pick it out in less than a second if you pass someone wearing it.

I think that because it is so distinct, it tends to smell exactly the same on each person who wears it. I was addicted to this cologne when I was in my late teens and early 20's, and then I think I out-grew the scent because I didn't really feel it was 'mine' anymore!

But this is also a 'tip of the hat' to Grey Flannel - it's a masculine scent that can smell good on just about anybody, so it's a great cologne for a guy who wants to dip his toe into scents and try some out. You really can't fail with this.

katrosado
katrosado

I adored this back in the late 70's and early 80's when as a teen and into my very early twenties I wore this myself. My Father had received it as a gift and didn't like it. I made it my own.

I am a woman and if this hasn't been reformulated I'm going to repurchase. The dry down and the warmth and richness of the base notes are incrediable. I'm going to have to look for it.

aprilmoon
aprilmoon

How I love this!! I am female and have worn it. My husband doesn't like cologne :( so he won't wear it. he sticks with the body sprays, which are quite good, but nothing compared to Grey Flannel.

HazelMae
HazelMae

One spray of this fragrance will assault you and your companions with its hyper-real violet leaf freshness all day long. If you want to feel absurdly crisp until the next time you shower, no matter how long an interval of time that may be, this is your go-to.

smartypants1562000
smartypants1562000

My husband and I went shopping intending to buy this grey flannel and accidently bought the grey flannel all day blue. both ate exceptionally sexy smelling. love both of them

greystone
greystone

This is a horrible smelling cologne.It starts out smelling like salad dressing and then after setting on your skin for a few minutes turns into a nasty sweet pine scent that reminds me of a urinal cake.This is a disgusting and vile fragrance and I do not recomend it to anyone unless you want to smell like a public restroom.I am not bashing Grey Flannel products,I personally like the Eau De Grey Flannel but the original is a putrid and offensive cologne.

binoybcompany

I bought this blind because of the reviews & opinions seen in this forum, I did not see another fragrance that had this many varied reviews.

It certainly is inexpensive but its cool in all possible ways stays long, projects good, smells really different i kind of like this & its a classic.

This is the great cologne & it shouts hey I'm here.

My Rating 8/10

Heverton
Heverton

Briefly, this fragrance smells like public bathroom, specifically gas station bathroom. Horrible! In the initial spray it almost kills me for being so strong. Over time it gets softer, giving more room for floral notes, but remains terrible. Anyway, I washed it after 30 minutes on my skin!

chiccroc
chiccroc

Oakmoss galore! Hit you on the face at the first spray, stays until the bitter end. First I get the herbaceous, clean, and soapy then followed by the sweet flower bouquet. At that point, I honestly can't imagine a man smell like that, sweet flowery smell. Don't take it wrong, I love it, just couldn't picture this to be a masculine smell.
Oh well, it might be the different chemistry.
All in all, it's a beautiful scent.
additional note: great for summer!

shamus1
shamus1

Grey Flannel is an outstanding, clean smelling scent, and I really can't understand why so many people hate it. Why? Because it's inexpensive? Because it's not niche? Because you can buy it at KMart? I don't get it.

I find Grey Flannel to be very green, dry and herbal smelling. This is a scent with many facets to savor, changing all the time and ensuring that it's always interesting to wear. I smell green leaves, pepper, lavender, oakmoss, wood notes, and in different combinations during the day. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy wearing this because it lasts all day and projects strongly. Grey Flannel is a strong powerhouse of a scent.

Like Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, this is a power broker's scent. It's very austere, and it smells like money and power. Grey Flannel is the perfect cologne for a CEO to wear at a hostile board meeting, when he wants throw his weight around and crack heads. A guy wearing Grey Flannel is not a guy to screw around with.

MY RATING: 9/10

karlovonamesti

Grey Flannel is my favorite fragrance for a few reasons. Firstly, it's a beautiful chypre for men (and daring women). We just don't have enough chypres to choose from these days. It's a category that is under-served and under-staffed. So when a good one comes along, it needs to be given due process, and Grey Flannel is a classic that has been around long enough for due process, and then some.

Secondly, Grey Flannel has improved over the years. It's one of the few fragrances that has gotten better with reformulation. Violet notes are very difficult to create because violets don't have much of a natural essence, and usually chemical reconstructions are necessary. Back in the '70s, '80s, and '90s, these reconstruction methods were a bit crude, which made Grey Flannel smell a tad harsh. Not until recently has technology caught up with the demand, and now violet notes have a wonderful smoothness to them. This smoothness is on display in Grey Flannel's dark green heart. The touch of sweet violet and cool violet leaf make the fragrance truly remarkable, and the best green I have come across.

Lastly, Grey Flannel is absurdly affordable. This could easily pass as some highbrow niche scent, and go for $150 a bottle. Pull the zero out of there, and you have the cost of a 4 oz bottle, usually available at discount retailers. For $8 I can get a 2 oz splash. I love how easy to find and cheap Grey Flannel is, because I love how well made and green it is.

It opens with a dessicated citrus, mainly lemon, and rapidly eases into a cool violet leaf, oakmoss, galbanum, and sandalwood structure. The sweetness of violet tinges the periphery of the scent, making this green a little purple in nature. I really can't find fault with the structure, and there's an amazing degree of finesse in the handling of oakmoss and galbanum here. Usually these accords are confrontational, but in this fragrance they are simply dry, austere, and very natural.

If you love greens as much as I do, you need this on hand at all times.

Convict13
Convict13

For a fragrance that you can buy so cheaply whenever my partner wears it women just want to know what it is. One of my favourite male fragrances and I must get him some more.

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

the opening of this fragrance is very sharp, almost got me headache! But then it soften and milder, getting nicer. Drydown on my skin is kind of powdery, very contradictive with the opening. Nice, I like it!

My motto is "if you have something interesting to say, you don't need to shout it out loud" and that's exactly what Grey Flannel is doing since 1976. Seminal, influential and distinctive but at the same time discreet and gentle, definitely classy. It opens with dry and sparkling clean green notes, violet leaf and mannered woody citruses. Simply delightful. In the drydown it gets somehow sweeter but its "dry-side" is still there to perfectly balance the scent to a bittersweet little symphony. Never loud and with a good longevity it's a perfect scent for daytime and office. Mannered but never affected. A masterpiece and an all time favourite.

safetyjon
safetyjon

I bought a bottle of GF at TJ Max. Based on the reviews, I thought that I would give it a try. I have a diverse collection of fragrance, and I like to try new scents. I could not get over the violet. I know that I was warned. I kept waiting for it to enter the next phase of the fragrance, hoping it would get better. It did, but the violets remained...Strong violets...Very strong. I endured it about and hour and a half, and then I couldn't take it any more. I took a shower and brought the bottle back to the store the next day. I guess I just don't like violets.

On the other hand, I do like Eau of GF. Much lighter and not nearly as extreme. A totally different scent.

cloyd42
cloyd42

A classic for a reason--I saw a bottle on sale and decided to grab it to refresh my memory. Forgetting its strength I poured a fair amount in my hand and applied on all the usual places. Within seconds I was greeted with an eye-stinging punch in the nose of petit grain, citrus, sage and vetiver, which took about 15 minutes to soften as the cedar, violet and galbanum opened up. The mimose and orris add their powdery notes around this time also. At some point the rose and oakmoss became more noticeable. This is a very busy scent for its time and nature but it's an enjoyable one and an unusual one. My only complaint about Grey Flannel is that, on me, it has an odd metallic note that I often find in scents with vetiver and geranium. Even if you decide you don't like it you need to experience Grey Flannel to have a complete education in perfume.
Sillage: continental
Duration: it may outlive you
Fabulosity: okay but not special
Price to value ratio: Off the scale--a true bargain

JustinV
JustinV

To be honest, I was curious enough to wanting to know how it smells like. So since I can't grab any sample, I decided to buy it.

Take a whiff, and omg, man....it stinks. Its smells like a bad, burning wood, and that mossy herbs. Sorry to even add that I vomited after smelling it. My mom hates it to, and when I told her its 1970s stuff, and she was like, yup kind of remind her of Brut. Man, if Brut is like this, that's it. It is in my hate list.

So I decided to spray this in my car, since my car smells new, I use this to neutralise that new-car-smell.

Works so damn good, my car smells like leather now =)

efm
efm

When I couldn't find a women's scent with violet, mossy wood and incense, I turned to Grey Flannel. Added bous of a sharp, very clean mid tone before settling into my favorite note of vetiver. Grey Flannel works when I want to go big but not oriental.
Today, I think of it as unisex.

Miyavi
Miyavi

I got the gift set of this, its not too bad. It starts off smelling grassy and herbal, and calms down into something that reminds me of plastic or rubber. Honestly it smells like a latex or plastic to me. But it lasts all day, and at the end of the day, it becomes almost like a sweet musk. The aftershave i got with it is very nice, great for when you need less power to the scent. I like the smell of the aftershave more than the cologne for some reason...i don't know why, maybe its more subtle.

guest_pabloso
guest_pabloso

LOVE THE REFORMULATION!

i didnt know they have reformulated this one , but it seems so..i bought a new bottle last weekend and saw that is now made by EA FRAGANCES , when i spray it on myself gone was that bitter and nauseous base ( probably the oakmoss ) that was very offputting for me for years..now it conservates all the florals ( violet ) and seems to be fresher.... longevity and sillage are still monstruous ..but now i find it more accesible ...so sometimes reformulation is not a bad thing!

guest_New Smeller
guest_New Smeller

Got it as a gift and have been trying to give it away ever since. It is a very different smell -- very sharp and can give some a headache I am sure. I would use very little of it.

blueberry
blueberry

Although created in 1975, it seems to marverously render the atmosphere of the 1950s-at least this is my impression after reading "The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit" by Sloan Wilson. I often wondered how the protagonist must have smelled in the uniform gray flannel suit...

Anyway, due to its appealing name, I got myself the bottle of GB's GF and I immediately fell in love with it. Originally, I was planning to give it to my husband, but now I know this little gem will remain only mine.

I must admit it is the most unusual perfume I have ever encountered. It is not linear, but evolving all the time. At first I get the smell of weed (yes, that kind of weed!!!), some strange herbs, then loads of tobacco (I know it is not listed, but that's what I get on my skin), then sage and other greenish notes, the wonderful oakmoss and some unspeakable smell-I know it may sound strange-but it is pretty close to the smell of... underground parking lot, with the gasoline fumes and warm tyres. Hmm, pretty odd, but not unpleasant at all!! Well, the overall impression is stunning and awesome. The projection, the lasting power are simply amazing. It's a YES at first sniff, highly intoxicating and enchanting. Can be worn by women, without second thoughts. Superb, in a class of its own!

guest_danny_girl
guest_danny_girl

For the holidays I bought my dad (who loves scent but won't break down and buy for himself) three colognes... Grey Flannel, Polo Double Black, and Aspen. He doted on Polo Double Black, loved Aspen (cheap in price, but good fresh scent), and absolutely loathed Grey Flannel. He thought be might add it to his laundry detergent but decided against it as ruining the wash! I find it a unique and decidedly different scent myself--not exactly lovable--but I sure adore the packaging.

QCYCORNELL
QCYCORNELL

To say the utmost truth, this cologne isn't for everyone, as our colours are diffrent so our desires, tastes and style. personally, Grey Flannel is very sharp, intense, soul-relishing, strong and a little over-powering for a mature, responsible and classic masculine figure. it radiates a unique top note, a blend and fusion of bergamot+ splashy lemon. as it penetrates the skin the mid-notes molecules are released to the air bringing out a whole new brand of smell...
i mistakenly squirt a little out of the bottle while i was opening it and it splashed on the rug.....i felt the smell all through the night.
it's total grab!...i love it. i enjoy it i crave for more.

siririschmoos
siririschmoos

It's the oddest thing......of the colognes I have in my cabinet, this one seems like the most "un-synthetic" of them all.

The opening notes are so "natural" and strong, sort of astringent but never does the thought of a chemical odor cross my mind.

To some noses out there the immediate smell after application might turn them off but if you give it some time it really proves it can settle down and prove its maturity.

If you are under 30 you might not "get this" but if you are truly a nonconformist then you might impress your peers with a daring departure from the normal fragrances Mtv pushes.

missan

Absolutely wonderful old school scent. After using it for some time it has become one of my absolute favourites. It is very very natural smelling and seemlessly put together. I love those dirty flowers. Very long lasting.

I bought two big testers, probobly rather old.

This has become within my top three!!!

9,5/10

Blissful80
Blissful80

My boyfriend has Grey Flannel. It smells really good on him. He said it smells crisp and clean and refreshing... I think so too! Its one of his favorites. Its not pricey either, but it smells pricey and it has great lasting power. When I've seen him put some on he sprays it in the air and walks through the mist. Then he will hug me so I can smell like him lol

astralrocket
astralrocket

The first perfume Ï liked when I was still a child. Its strength makes it very distinguishable.
This perfume is indeed for mature, respectable, no-nonsense man with whom you see what you get. The X generation will eventually like it as they mature.
It fits best in winter.

I was very intrigued by this fragrance seeming that I had read so many rave reviews on it. It was surprisingly quite difficult for me to track down, however I managed to find it hidden amongst some lesser known fragrances in a quiet little chemist.

Upon first application I was beginning to question why this fragrance was so popular. The citrusy opening notes were very strong and in some ways, harsh. The scent was also quite green, which is an aspect that I rarely like in fragrances.

I did not doubt Grey Flannel's obvious masculinity, however I expected something more unique and memorable. It wasn't until the scent settled that I understood why Grey Flannel is so likable.

The scent has an almost soapy-fresh quality with subtle herbaceous notes. I can see why this fragrance is hailed as a classic, it is indeed very sophisticated yet adaptable for any occasion.

It actually smells rather nostalgic to me. I swear that my Father used a talcum powder that smelt rather similar to Grey Flannel when I was a child.

The whole powdery, clean aspect of this cologne is both warm and cozy. Unfortunately I find the name of this fragrance rather misleading, as the name Grey Flannel only makes me think of old, smelly men's pyjamas.

When settled on the skin, Grey Flannel smells very natural and musky. It also lasts a good while which only adds to this fragrance's appeal.

mal23
mal23

This scent is a little medicial after the drydown. It is clean citrus fresh scent that is more suited for a middle age to older man (45-65). I do not see myself wearing this right now, being in my mid-20s. Overall a decent scent but not enough to go out and but it. Overall a 6/10

Mihail
Mihail

Manure, hay, bugs:-)The rural romanticism.
Horror, but I love it:-)

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

I love this scent! I spray it all over the house for freshness and to kill the dog scent. My husband's dog is awful so I have to kill the scent somehow so I use Grey Flannel. I love the scent alot or I would not use it. IM INSANE AND I KNOW IT!

jimmywinters
jimmywinters

Out of all the fragrances I ever owned or currently own, this is my least favorite. Now keep in my mind, my current and previous fragrance total is less than 30. However I like Grey Flannel the least as well as Vegas by Playboy. Then again, these are the only two I own that are oriental. So if you are a fan of the oriental scent then this may be alright for you.

Care
Care

I had an employer who used to drown himself in this stuff. Maybe that is why I found it so hard to stand within 10 feet of him! To me, it smelled like wet flannel, so the name pretty much said it all. Even my husband tried it once, which was all it took to decide it wasn't for him, either.

stellastac
stellastac

I am a women and I wear it I get comments all the time I would call it unisex esp with the violet middle notes my favorite perfume of the last 20 years cheap but very chic.

ily_sb
ily_sb

best suited for men over 30-40 , it's definitely not for my age, I've tried it but I'd rather not use it

harikeshan
harikeshan

Purchased a bottle a few years back in some alley store in the far east. Use it sparingly fearing i may not be able to find it again. Timeless.

varondandy
varondandy

This is my holiday scent..crisp and a joy to wear.buenasnoches/goodnight.

guest_Chucky
guest_Chucky

After reading all the reviews, I found myself in a store checking out a bottle of Grey Flannel. From the first spray I was hooked.

Whoever whipped up this one did a good job and must be commended, because you sure don't find such classic.

Indro
Indro

Truly a great cologne!I've purchased this going by the fantastic reviews over here and hey it's a hit,it's probably the biggest bang for the buck cologne one can have.

instantjim
instantjim

I had a choice of three fragrances on sale for around the same price: Live Jazz, Cool Water and Grey Flannel. After smelling the first two I thought yeah, nice but not nice enough to shell out $30 or so. Grey Flannel had no testers, so I bought it purely on the basis of reviews I read here at Fragrantica. What a great decision. It is a truly magnificent fragrance. It starts with an explosion of sharp notes (I want to say that it is reminiscent of Paco Rabanne - but that is probably not quite right). After a few minutes the violet notes come to the fore at which point it becomes sweeter and this is where its real beauty is. The violet is balanced with herbs, which make it masculine. The violet stays around for long time with little change. When the violet eventually starts to subside a little the basenotes emerge more, particularly the oakmoss. It's hard to believe this is not wildly popular, I think the rather elementary (unpretentious)looking bottle has something to do with this. I agree with glitteralex - with a more arty bottle and name, this could easily sell for much more (I paid $30 Aus - $24US for a 4oz EDT and 4oz Aftershave). I can see I am going to have to change my top 10 list to include this.

P.S. of all my fragrances, this is my wife's favourite. She absolutely loves it.

rockcity
rockcity

Such a gorgeous scent ! As a woman, I can easily tell you that Grey Flannel is the most stunning, alluring, seductive, provocative and so on.... men's fragrance I've ever smelled! And also it's very cheap despite all these perfect features. My ex-boy friend used to use this one. I love and adore every notes in it. I admit that I can easily fall in love with any guy who wears Grey Flannel ;)

Andy Capobianco
Andy Capobianco

When I smelt this straight fom the bottle I wasn't sure if I liked the smell, it smelt "offensive" at first. But when I wore it, it felt different. More fresh, a sharp, green, woody, kind of fresh with a bit of flowery sweetness. After the opening the sharp green fades into a woodsy herbal violet smell. Smells great from start to finish. If this was the only fragrance I owned I'd be happy wearing Grey Flannel almost every day. I was expecting a barely wearable harsh old mans fragrance, but it's not. It's a great everyday manly scent, and most of all it's strong and interesting. It became a staple fragrance, I love it

glitteralex
glitteralex

A recent obsession with violet, in combination with the sale rack at Ross, led me to a 4oz bottle of GF EdT.

I have to say, it is a beautiful interpretation of violet. The dry herbs in the front are so fleeting, and bear semblance to those in Weil's iconic Antilope-hot, dry, abrupt. Within moments, the violet charges in. It stays for a very, very, long time. Incredible depth and concentration. This surpasses even an EdP in strength. The sillage, as we all know, is outrageous. While the eventual polite mossy drydown is definitely Scottish Grandfather and a bit dreary, I don't care, because at $10/bottle, I'll just apply more liberally!

The fact that this was created in 1976 has absolutely no impact on its freshness in character. My new bottle has excellent ingredients, and smells just as I remember from back in the day. However, the simplicity of ingredients is very contemporary and "niche" in nature. If we took this juice, packed it in a smart minimalist bottle, and called it "Labdanum Violette", we could get $200 an ounce for it. People would note its nod to Grey Flannel, but say it was a "newer, fresher" take on Geoffrey Beene's old scent. Don't fool yourself, this is the real thing-then and now.

As a woman, this scent pulls the meek florals out very nicely, more in the style of JPG's Le Male than Dior's Farenheit, two other frags to which this scent has been compared.

rebella
rebella

Usually I like the rough and dirty kind of men perfumes, but Grey Flannel is a comfortable exception. Maybe one of the best there is.

Grey Flannel smell of money, elegance and that classy kind of masculine safety. Like a really great looking slightly older gentleman in a taylormade suit. Oh, yeah you all think a "old man" frag... maybe. I kind of like older men, especially sexy ones.

Grey Flannel make me think of that classic photo "Man in polyester suit" by Robert Mapplethorpe and... well I think that photo speak for itself. At a first glimpse there´s just a man in a suit... *blushing a little*

Boys can stay away from Grey Flannel and leave it to the mens I think.

I wore Grey Flannel working behind a bar in America in 92. When the bottle ran out I could never find another - i thought they had gone out of business!
When I think of the scent its unique dreamy quality comes straight back - like no other. I have found it again online - only hope it's genuine and not a replica ....

CaraMia
CaraMia

I think I'm in love!

I trotted off to Marshall's to hunt for some bargains and picked up an open bottle of Grey Flannel. All I could say is "Wow, oakmoss city!" I love mossy scents but I find most fragrances marketed to women are heavy on the floral and leave you looking for the green mossy splendor.

Grey Flannel was, therefore, something of a revelation to me. Yes there's all those woodsy violets and iris roots but the fragrance never gets bogged down in a real bouquet, the rose and jonquils never dominate to my nose, in fact I simply don't notice them and that's a good thing.

The basenotes are scrumptious and green and the cedar and oakmoss completely overwhelm the tonka and almonds. I never get the sandal here.

A beautiful well-crafted fragrance. A joy to wear and popularly priced!

Needless to say, I bought one!

ZeeK
ZeeK

A very unique composition and truly romantic!

Put the men classics of the 70-80’s era in a contest (Grey Flannel along with Paco Rabanne, Azzaro Pour Homme, Aramis 900 & Devin, Givenchy Gentleman, Jovan Musk, Polo, Van Cleef & Arples), winner will certainly be the Grey Flannel.

A dominating violet note can be observed throughout the composition, it does have flowery substances but not a single note is there to discard the manly affect, fragrance is well merged with slight citruses in the beginning and dry-down goes fantastic with wood and herb notes. Quite intense and has a great lasting power with absolute silage. Grey Flannel is the all time favorite for decades, created in 1976 and still alive in 2009, will always have an enduring freshness and popularity for sure. Without a bottle of Grey Flannel one can be a collector but not a fonder.

flannelman
flannelman

Grey Flannel is quite an extraordinary, yet clean and simple scent. It opens with very intense, sharp, top green notes reminding you of fresh topsoil over bergamot and lemon notes. This should definitely give you a shock when you first try the fragrance. After marveling at how unusual this opening is, you'll soon notice the violet kicking in. From sharp green, the notes turn sweeter and flowery. Apart from the violet which remains present at all times (Grey Flannel is quite a long-lasting scent, by the way) you'll definitely notice rose, and also geranium. Sage is also present in the middle notes, so it's not too floral. Base notes of oakmoss (lovely), vetiver, cedar wood/sandalwood and tonka bean then join in. This is a very elegant, timeless, classic, unusual and well-made scent, in which all elements seem to effortlessly blend in. On top of everything, it is also very reasonably priced. A must-have, as far as I am concerned...