Designers » F-H » Chypre Floral « Groups

Royal Secret Germaine Monteil for women

Royal Secret Germaine Monteil for women
dislike

Royal Secret by Germaine Monteil is a chypre floral fragrance for women. Royal Secret was launched in 1935. Top notes are lavender, galbanum, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are orange blossom, violet, lily-of-the-valley, rose and geranium; base notes are sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla and vetiver.

Lavender Galbanum Bergamot Lemon

Orange Blossom Violet Lily-of-the-Valley Rose Geranium

Sandalwood Patchouli Vanilla Vetiver

Toujours Moi

Royal Secret Fragrance Reviews

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

I was gifted some time ago a decant of some of this in the vintage bath oil version. First, let me say that a dab will do. Its quite strong, and 2, oh boy its fantastic. I was wearing this in the heat of summer and it just felt right. The sandalwood...wow, my head almost exploded. Current sandalwood aromachemicals have NOTHING on this!

There was a slight soapy feel to it after an hour or 2, but it just felt like the best damn thing I ever put on bar none. To which, I was able to score yet another vintage bath oil to add to my cache.

I didn't get any citrus, but I wouldn't totally expect to considering the age of the juice. I mainly got sandalwood, vanilla, herbal notes, soapy notes, woody notes. I could not discern a clear rose from this at all.

So lets cut to the chase; how long does it last? well in my case a heck of a long time. Just realizing, if you do like I do and wear in summer, YMMV, but a few dabs is all you need.

Sillage at first was quite strong, but died down to a more tolerable level after about 5 minutes.

I have never tried the 5 star version so I can't speak to how good or not so good it is.

bonnie52
bonnie52

I bought Royal Secret but it was by 5 star. I went by the reviews and regretted it! To me, it smelled like perfume gone bad. I am pretty easy to please with scents but this one was really BAD!

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

I have owned the Royal Secret Eau de Cologne version by Five Star for some time. Although I don't doubt that the Monteil release was something superior; there is just nothing weird, bitter, sour or otherwise foul about the Five Star product. To my nose it's squarely in the same vein as Toujours Moi or Shalimar. A resinous vanillic oriental.The worst I can say is it lasts like a dud. It putters out to skin scent within 1/2 hour on me.

However, I am so loving the two one oz bottles of bath oil that I bought at Perfumania a month ago. Much better than the Cologne concentrate with more focus and clear cut definition of the individual notes.
It can follow the opening beginning with crisp lavendar, citrus and LOTV , moving straight to the resinous and woody accords. Then it's on to the sweet and vanillic powdery drydown. Just beautiful!!! A much richer vanilla, spice and amber body. And by far longer lasting!!
Very elegant and woody!!

I highly recommend Royal Secret bath oil, but only if you are into vintage, full bodied Orientals. This is the opposite of the watered down simple concoctions passing for perfume nowadays.
Perfumania sells Royal Secret in its present incarnation.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

Thank you Bigsley, for solving the riddle for me! I just received a vintage EdC, and have been thinking all day about why it is so familiar. Now I realize: it's a spicier Vol de Nuit!

The opening is a blast of rough leather and spicy resins, it really exploded on my skin and I nearly gagged from the power of it, I almost thought I had to wash it off... But after about 15 minutes, it mellowed dramatically and settled into the most luxurious, floating, nuzzling, mysterious gasoline-vanilla accord with just a hint of the spice remaining, and this is where the similarity to Vol de Nuit comes forth.

The remaining spices have a "fizziness" about them that makes them very bright and delicate. I have never felt this in a spice before. The darkness of the animalic quality in Royal Secret against the sparkling glitter-red of the spices is so addictive and intriguing... How amazing it is!!

I can easily see myself in a film noir detective story on a stormy night in the 1940’s… Soft dark eyes, and with a silver pistol in my pocket... I want more and will be stocking up!

Debra1
Debra1

I got a mini of this on sale, Love, Love, Love, Love It!!! It's a Spicey Sweet, Heady Alouring and Warm Sent Attracting Attention and Compliments, a bit strong but just a dab is all you need, and it won't over power you. Case in Point on This One, It doesn't have an overboard of ingredients to make it smell weird, less is more it has some Patchouli and Galbanum Resin and Sandlewood to give it some va va va voom factor, has some sweet Citrus notes, but it's swetened by Rose Vanilla, Lilly of the Valley, and The Orange Blossom Sent Really Comes Through, Ok Id call it like Tabu with Orange Blossom, No Can't Imagine the Queen Mother Ever Wearing It? I'm Certain she wouldn't want to get noticed like that May Be Diana Would Have!

queenkey
queenkey

I had this scent in the 70's. It was so strong and concentrated. Nothing like Five Star! Why, why reformulation! Then they pass it off as original.

lizziekayy
lizziekayy

This was my very worst nightmare blind buy. The notes look wonderful, right up my street. I love older classic perfumes. But this smelled like cats pee, it really did. Awful cheap and absolutely nasty. I can only suppose it has been reformulated that anyone could ever have loved it. It is the only full bottle of perfume that I have ever dumped straight in the bin. Should have been in a biohazard bag. Yuk. Yuk. Yuk.

JaxTheMinx
JaxTheMinx

I need to get my hands on a reformulated version. I was too young to wear this in the late 70's early 80's as this is not for the faint hearted. I did however use the vintage version a few times and it's good on my skin. Incredible longevity and sillage. I do associate R.S. warm winter comforts and childhood memories with this special fragrance and don't mind the spice. I've spotted the bath oil and it's on my shopping list. Imagine bathing in this wonderful juice from a bygone era?!?!

royal secret addict
royal secret addict

My favorite fragrance---ever. My signature. I've been complimented on it hundreds of times. Many, many times, I've been asked what I'm wearing, usually by men who say they want to buy it for their wife or girlfriend. Over the years, I've found a handful of other fragrances that I like well enough to wear, but I've never found anything I like nearly as much as Royal Secret. It's perfect for me. I think I'll try one of the scent matching companies. Maybe I can get the "real thing" again.

tpresley
tpresley

My Mom started wearing this when she was pregnant with me in 1971 and it has been her signature scent ever since. She had worn it so long that it actually emanates from her pores. While some reviewers have referred to this as an old lady scent, I think it has exotic qualities. Maybe I think too much of my Mom,but I always think of musky, sensual, but with a touch of powder. I don't have the body chemistry for this, but anybody who can successfully wear this has classic characteristics with a "secret" worth discovering. I was able to buy several bottles prior to it being repackaged and there is quite a difference. The new version is artificial and lacks the depth, quality, and drama of the original. Mom was way ahead of her time and the manufacturers have yet to catch up. If you are able to find a vintage bottle and have that personality and saltiness to balance the musk, welcome to your new signature scent. Otherwise, you may have the misfortune of being compared to a shallow substitute who wreaks of cat urine.

scentsationaltxrose
scentsationaltxrose

This was the first "designer" fragrance I bought for myself, back in the stone-age 60s! It was only sold in the finer department stores. I thought of it as something a wealthy, older woman would buy for herself. Even though I was in my 20s, I splurged for it. WOW! It was powerful and heavy-handed. Very intense spicy, sweet scent. A little dab will do you. I liked it but it was so powerfully sweet and pungent I never wore it out in the daytime. Only at night. This is for serious wearers only...not the faint of heart!

I have some of the vintage EdC formulation but haven't tried the recent one. It's light but rich and it lasts quite a while. There is excellent balance, and it's natural smelling. The sandalwood is here but light, and there's a slight vanillic/ambery quality. The florals largely supply a powdery quality and it's not too "feminine" as far as I'm concerned. There is just the slightest hint of a bitter or animalic element. I'd much rather wear this than many, many others that are marketed to men, actually. So, don't buy this thinking you are getting an amber scent or a sandalwood one, etc., but rather a nicely balanced "old school" one.

UPDATE: Clearly the notes aren't exactly the same but the effect is similar to Vol de Nuit (vintage EdC) in the drydown. The rose in RC in particular creates more note contrast.

passionata20
passionata20

02 march 2013

A scent of a cold autumn for a hot woman.

My very first reaction was to write something not pleasing about this fragrance since i have had it for years in my collection, got it as a bonus with some of the purchase and never used it. Mine is "Spary concentree" and not vintage, since there are allergens listed on the box. So i guess the one i am reviewing is a modern version.

I have finally tested it. Just one spray on my wrist. Oh my! This one is very strong! A lot of galdbanum in the opening, very sharp and bitter. Just like a very dry leather that was ruined by letting dry in the hottest sun. I can´t smell nothng oriental, maybe i just have a differnet meaning for oriental. Well, then this is a very dry oriental. Oh! I get the correct comparision. a burned rubber tire, yes, thatś exactly what i get in hte opening, i can´t imagine how anyone could tolerate this smell, this should be dabed on, not sprayed! A good thing is that i smell a very concentrated carnaton as well, but that über-strong galdbanum ruins it.
It stays like that for a very long time and then just turns into a smell of powder. Almost identical to the powdery drydown of wintage perfumes from Weil i have (chunga, zibeline). But this is not the powder you get in the drydown of "Bal a Versailles" for example, no. This is a bitter powder, but still very strong powdery scent.
I see it was launched in the 1930´s, so i cleral see it is as a vintage scent. I guess the composition is typical for that era, but i am not sure how good it fits into modern era.
Now i don´t see it as a bad scent, no. It is just sooooo different from what we are used to, very different from my favorite 80´s and 90´s scents. Foe me it is just untolerable, i can´t see myself wearing it, but somehow i can clearly see a hot brunette wearing it. In my imagination there is a strong connection between this scent and brunette women somehow. I also guess modern ingredients smell not the same as they would smell in vintage version.
Inexpensive, but impressive. Great lasting power by the way and also a great sillage for "spray concentree" whatever it is. And on the clothes i can strongly smell it after a week, so that is something!

In comparison to the perfumed fruity, candy, flowers in your face frags on the market today I think this is a wonderful other worldly & modern elixir and wears lovely on my skin, when it dries down it's a soft and lovely bouquet I've never smelled before, it's beautiful and different. Thank God, I didn't listen to the "Old Lady Complex" reviews on RS hee-hee :) It's really the body chemistry that makes the difference how perfume reacts on each and every body type because I've recieved such nice compliments wearing Royal Secret, I only wear little dabs on my wrist & behind each ear after a nice shower. The little bottle I have will last a life time because I don't take a shower in it, a little realy goes a long way. I store this "eastern exotic concoction" in my cool, dark storage area with my other perfume treasures to keep it fresh. Of course we know what's good for one isn't for another but when you find what's good for you, wear it well. Good Luck :)

VintagePro
VintagePro

What a lovely surprise!

My grandmother had a bottle of this when I was a very little girl, and I had completely forgotten about it until I saw it mentioned on this website. I am into vintage fragrances, so I ordered it on ebay. Since this gets such mixed reviews, I had no idea what to expect.

I LOVE IT! This stuff is beauty in a bottle. There is a very sharp, harsh note right out of the bottle, but it doesn't take long at all to disappear and reveal the most unusual scent. Soft and feminine, but not too sweet; powdery, but balance by a perfect amount of spice; luxurious, yet very wearable.

I don't know what to compare it to, but I absolutely would NOT compare it to Timeless; there is no resemblance at all.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

OH DEAR.....

I blind bought this, based on comparisons to my favorite, Timeless. NOOOoooooooo!

Though the term "O-d L--y" is not in my vocabulary, Royal Secret smells horribly like an elderly person who cannot properly wash themselves. Yes, I actually mean that.

I have the greatest respect for mature women and also the classic fragrances of the past. ( Think Toujours Moi, Shalimar, Chantilly,etc.. ) My great - grandmother would not have touched this one with a ten foot pole!

Please do not take offense ~ I have the Newest reformulation, which must be to blame. And I do realize that one person's chemistry can be very different from another's..... But this will be LETHAL on most of us! My applause to those of you who can pull this off ~ what a feat.

If Royal Secret appeals to you as a blind buy, please order it from a company that allows for returns. Better yet, try to obtain a vintage bottle! You will thank me. :)

Mooncatt

HezFairy is right. Back in the day, 'ladies' wore the fresh florals, usually as one-note toilet waters, soaps, scented talc. Those scents now branded 'old lady' were the new, young, risqué scents that scandalized the elders! Only Scarlet Women wore such things, and one famous scent was created to be 'the smell of a prostitute.'

One friend of mine put the labeling down as rebellion. Her husband said "
some perfumes smell *terrible* on some people."

I said, "But, they wear it anyway."

He said, "It's the old '*my* s(tuff) does'nt stink' syndrome.

In general, just calling something, an 'old lady' smell is a lazy way of saying they 'don't like it'. That said, I find that I don't care for the new reformulation on my skin. It smells yummy from the bottle, though, and apparently works well on others on this and other fragrance boards, so I shan't degrade the scent or 'old ladies' by making that perforative comparison.

HezFairy
HezFairy

The original was indeed a Royal Secret... and way too seductive, deep, dark and mysterious to have anything to do with the majority of 'old ladies'. I can't imagine where the 'old dady' image came from. It would take a very brave - or delusional - old lady to wear this one! (Don't they tend to stick to fresh florals like lavender and lily of the valley?)It is certainly not a young girl's scent; it is very adult and sophisticated.

This is such an intensely sensual, expensive-smelling scent, evocative of the favourite in the harem - Scheherazade herself could have worn this to enslave her king! I can imagine everyone trying to find out the Royal Secret for themselves, and be as alluring as the exotic queen.

Not for the faint-hearted, this is a strong, heady perfume, which lasts and lasts with just a dab. Very exotic, very Oriental, full of promise. Wear it if you dare! Not one to wear on a casual date, it will give the wrong message, saying, "Come hither - if you're man enough...)

cmoca
cmoca

Old womanly? Maybe. Bit of a church smell? Kindda.
But something else also. Something different.
I think I'm in love.. Like, REAL love <3

..Soft, luxurious, long lasting and richy sweet! Very comforting. I feel as though I am regarded as having the confidence of a giant when I wear this. I have to say it makes mama proud! :)

Mooncatt

I never smelled the original of this, but I sprung for 1 oz of the current one. I like it. and the bottle will last awhile. One spray of the scents in this group will last me all day, making it the best value for my money!

Goodfortune5758
Goodfortune5758

My first grown up scent. Bought it in the winter time. Thought it was exactly how I was going to smell when I was grown up, but I've never grown up!

desertrat
desertrat

LOVE it! It IS Old Money in a Bottle... On me it doesn't last long but sooo worth it...

OlfactoryOverload
OlfactoryOverload

On me this is warm spicy, yet light & conservative. This really does make you smell like a true blueblood.

The bottle is beautiful in its simplicity. It knows it's an aristocrat so there is no need to shout.

I used to own this one and I'd like to get it again.

I.I
I.I

I have a sample probably from the old formula, from Monteil. This perfume is rich and of good quality and though it is an Eau de Cologne it is extremely strong.
It reminds my of a stronger Shalimar version. It is equally powdery and 'depressive', retro and dark as she is.
I like it a lot but I couldn't wear it, IMHO it is suitable only for mature ladies over 50, even over 60.
But it's a really nice perfume!

ericrico
ericrico

I was gifted a vial of the Vintage EDC Concentree with a purchase of a masculine fragrance. Another, cheaper (but fresh and light sampler vial was included as well).

I have heard of this and know the scent. While it is clearly a classic women's Oriental Chypre (which is the correct classification - regardless of what you smell, from the composition), I believe this juice is very unisex on the right man in the right attire. An absolutely gorgeous and intoxicating scent of yesteryear - when a sophisticated woman could seduce a man with a look and her scent.

Earlier today, ironically, I sampled two men's classic chypres from the 1970's that are very different on the back of each of my hands - Gucci Pour Homme Original (1976) and Capucci Pour Homme (1967). Gucci is a masterpiece, rich chypre with notes that are more similar to Monteil's Royal Secret than Capucci (which is more citrusy, with florals and a nice damp moss base). To make things more fair - I applied one full spray of Gucci Pour Homme Original After Shave - 70% volume (that I have decanted) against Capucci! The After Shave is still there and a great, full skin scent after 4+ hours, while the Capucci has faded out. Wow! I wanted to see if the masculine compositions met at the drydown (or late in the heart) - they simply don't. Gucci is also much stronger, even in After Shave strength, but I still have tremendous affinity and love for Capucci Pour Homme. It simply needs heavier application to pulse points (not back of hand) and to clothes...and it does show better in warm weather with all the gorgeous citrus, although great year-round - just shorter longevity in the cold.

Back to Royal Secret by Monteil - one sniff of the vial and you are immediately impressed of the power and richness! The galbanum, dark floral notes and dense patchouli all sit on a warm base of spicy vanilla. This smells so rich. Just two small fingertip dabs on my skin and the aroma fills the air (EDC Concentree???) - impressive. An old-lady scent only if you feel like you are an old-lady wearing it and I mean that with total respect. It's a mindset - a paradigm, as a lot of Vintage fragrances are. If one did not know this was a woman's scent and a man wore it confidently, then it truly is a classic masculine chypre. I got the rich sandalwood radiating with the vanilla right now along with the beautiful, deep florals (including rose). So, I have worn Iquitos, Vintage Acteur by Azzaro and Le3me Homme in the last week or so. All are even more floral than this, with the exception of Acteur. If this was poured into a bold-looking atomizer and remarketed a touch, it would be a masculine floral. And, not for the faint of heart or casual wear.

It will always be a sexy, feminine scent as well - but not even all women could pull this off. This scent is more about "how" you carry yourself, formal evening attire and sensual expression - not one's gender. I will never try the new reformulated junk, but this is one that I would (as a man) wear. My wife could wear this as well (I think), as she can dress up and be sexy. There is one vial - hmmmm...my boys thought it was a man's scent (and they have both good sense of smell and are totally honest). My wife, not telling her anything - thought, full-on masculine. She said it was very nice and would smell great on me! I told her it was woman's scent and she said that it is not her style as she was not a fan of Opium and other vanilla-laden scents. Amber mixes far better with her body chemistry. We have found one bottle of vanilla scent that works very well, but she sprays it on her clothes and only a touch on her skin. Interesting.

I am deep into the dry down now and enjoyed a meal during the course of writing this - all of us smelling it again before I finalize this. Not my wife's taste for her, but I think it would definitely smell amazing on a classy, sophisiticated woman who carries herself with confidence and enjoys passionate sex - and enjoys being the seducer. Flip it around...it would smell well on a classy, sophisticated man who himself with confidence and wants to offer sensual pleasure to a woman...and not just have sex. That is what this scent evokes.

Excellent vintage juice - I will defer a rating as this is a particular scent, not a "fragrance" and unisex aromas like this are totally subjective. I can feel this and may even seek out a small bottle or buy a few vials just to have...it is that good.

Cheers.

scrappydoo
scrappydoo

Royal Secret was my first love. A gift from my Grandmother at 16 years old (ha! Imagine!) I am sure I wore it with a heavy hand but I love the warm, spicy comfort this perfume brings to me. I would love to find it again, not sure if it's even available in my neck of the woods!

olga1780

I tried it over and over and as much as I appreciate the idea of a woody, smoky composition, the low quality of ingredients just ruin everything. Too sharp and pungent, almost unbearable to tolerate on the skin for more than a few minutes. Maybe the old formula was more graceful and smooth but this Five Star Fragrance company concoction is going down the trash can. I finally found a wearable and beautiful alternative: Cuir de Lancome.

tsth
tsth

I highly recommend the RS bath oil...this is so richly classic to me...I feel like a step back in time to the 60's suburbian housewife, who has dinner parties to host and an indulgent successful husband who adores his wife. This fragrance should be applied lightly, especially in the bath oil form. Only had to use a few drops in bath and as perfume. I find this to be a wonderful oriental along the lines of Tabu/ELYDew but with an enveloping incense essence that is very nice and cozy. I also love the vintage looking packaging...clean and elegantly boxed in presentation box. And I may be in the minority, but I like the reformulation by Five Star. I have not tried the original vintage.

Coutureguru
Coutureguru

In the late 80's I was still an Amateur Ballroom dancer (I turned Professional in '95) competing at Championship level ( the top level for Amateurs in those days) and my partner wore this delicious fragrance as her "everyday" signature. She also wore Opium, but that's another story! I remember vividly holding her in my arms and being awash with this amazing fragrance! We must have smelled quite the pair, because I was very fond of Lagerfeld back then :o). Her wonderful grandma used to keep us stocked up ... she loved us smelling good. This fragrance is a Tango before it becomes a Waltz and then gently subsides into a Matt Monroe Slow Foxtrot.

Update:
In a moment of weakness and for old time's sake I just looked this up online. WHO THE HELL IS THE FIVE STAR FRAGRANCE COMPANY???? Some Chinese knock off outfit no doubt!!! I guess Germaine Monteil has been sold ... this reformulation crap makes me SOOOO mad!!! The juice isn't even the same color! It's like these people are stealing an identity.

Another update:
Here I go, having to eat my words again LOL. I tracked some of this down today (by accident really browsing a drugstore fragrance aisle) but anyhow, there it was! I was quite surprised that the same RS logo still appears all over it so I turned the bottle over and lo and behold ... this stuff is made and bottled here in South Africa under licence from Five Star. Intrigued I took off the tester's cap and gave it a good old spray. It's actually as good as it ever was *munching loudly on humble pie*. This could definitely work on the right guy too! Awesome fragrance if you are into heavy orientals ... I have never, remotely seen this as a chypre floral. No need for a vintage ... this is still great!!!

Tovah
Tovah

My darling, precious Nana wore this, so it's hard for me to analyze it for what it is. I can't remember a time she didn't smell like it, and everything she owned absorbed this fragrance. The truth is, it's a very sexy perfume. My Nana was a sexy, classy lady, but there's no way I'd be able to feel seductive wearing Nana's scent. After all, this is the woman who made pastries, and crocheted pillows, while listening to operas, as African Violets bloomed on the window sill. Memories aside, this is a daring, slightly animalic amber vanilla that's really beautiful.

anniebanannie
anniebanannie

Winter, I'm thinking 1930s depression era. Cold and lonely, everyone in despair, yet you seem a lot better off. In a vintage shop, you found a vintage tin lamp, at least you thought it was tin. Must have been brought up by the many Arabs coming to America recently. Upon rubbing a patch of dark dust, a hologram comes up. A beautiful, kind looking man with a physique made for sin. Everyone in the store seems preoccupied in their own little world. A child asks for a coin, you give it. There goes dinner. The specter greets you. You think you are insane. You leave with a golden tin lamp, unsure of what the future holds. I know my story happens swiftly. No time to think. You first whiff is just like this. Don't think.After a while, you make your final wish to be with the genie. The world is too cold. You figure it might be nice to live forever in a nice warm lamp.

You think to yourself, all the food and money you can acquire will not bring the warmth this person has brought. The safety, the boldness. Your wish is granted, and you enter a palace of exotic silks and sheets. You cough at the smoke, so much smoke...All the jewels, the chains, the opium, candied fruit on golden plates. Dried herbs, ambrosia. Sweat, sex, lust, wonder. Dark, candle lit lighting. A plush bed, tall thin candles dripping wax...my genie beside vase of flowers. I am overwhelmed...I will never leave.

This fragrance makes so kinky its sad. I'm not ashamed to admit that. I'm a lady 95% of the time and this just made really want a man when I first sniffed it. Badly. To me it is an overwhelming smoky, juicy bomb, that settles down to rich amber scent. Perfect for cold nights. I know this is aimed at women but this wouldn't make a bad men's perfume. It would smell old fashioned and overwhelming on your average woman, but on a man...if it was possible to literally crawl under one's skin I would. I keep a small sample of it to sprinkle on my sheets to guarantee sweet dreams. Don't think me a freak.

olga1780

I compared Roma with Royal Secret and to my nose they are like day and night in their compositions. I didn't have to struggle with Roma for one second...wonderful from top to bottom, while the opening of Royal Secret seems to be designed to test peoples'e patience and tolerance.

olga1780

As so many people mentioned it is SMOKEY. Actually, it is to the point that freshly sprayed it does smell like something is burning and smoking like hell...a kind of smoke that comes from burning rubber(galbanum?). I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this fragrance, because it is kind of pushing my limits of open-mindness about fragrances. For now, the only thing I can say for sure is its low lasting power is actually its advantage.

Edit: I think the lack of lasting power that so many reviewers are talking about has more to do with substantial dying of its sillage. Because it doesn't disappear completely and about half an hour later it finally transforms ito this sexy,dark and mysterious fragrance that is praised so highly. A little bit too long wait for the end result though.
On me it actually lasts for at least 4 hours.

myskiesareblue
myskiesareblue

i love how soft this is but doesn't last long.

pablOSO
pablOSO

so..ladies , do you think this one can work as a masculine too?

uds creen que este perfume pueda ser usado por un hombre?

care to reply?

espero comentarios

shamsiruhe
shamsiruhe

this perfume is so good that i said
"that's pretty" aloud and that's something i don't do, talking to myself.

it is extremely beautiful and cheap enough to just give it a try.

it does NOT last long enough.

I put it on today and after 5 minutes I knew it had à twin perfume!
But i didn't guess it right away, but after half an hour it came to me! Biagiotti Roma! Who would have thought, those 2 being so different in their branding!

StarMagix
StarMagix

Glad I went for the trial size of this fragrance before opting for the set I was eye balling. Upon first dabbing this one on my wrist, I found it very lovely, but the fragrance quickly went completely away! Perhaps this little vial is too old and I will be taking it back to complain. I think I would like it if it lasted long enough to get a good idea what it is really like. I will update this review if I find a good test vial.
It reminds me a lot of Youth Dew but not as heavy of a scent.

moraine
moraine

When I first sniffed Royal Secret from the bottle, it reminded me exactly of the good old-fashioned potpourris - where the scent came from actual flowers rather than chemicals - that relatives always gave me as gifts in the '80's. No doubt it would be called "o-d ladyish" by many members, but if you give it a chance and wear it on your skin, it turns into something that I never smelled in the potpourri-laden drawers of my childhood...the vanilla gives it a modern creaminess, and there's a subtle spicy, ambery warmth mingling with the dried roses. After a few hours I detect something like coffee and incense...

A real comfort scent!

kelleysmall
kelleysmall

I love this perfume and have worn it since my early 20's ... no, it's not for everyone, but it is a classic and I always get compliments when I wear it. I can't compare it to anything, not even Youth Dew; it's in a class all its own. One of my favourites. Every time I put it on, I think "I must wear this more often" but I have so many other fragrances. For cold winter nights in front of the fire :) Exquisite dry-down!

TheLadyApryle
TheLadyApryle

I wore this in my very early 20's- it was dark and mysterious and perhaps to old of a fragrance-according to my mum. Expensive at the time, I haven't seen it in years, but I'm quite nostalgic as I write this.

guest_Cristy L
guest_Cristy L

Me siento feliz haber encontrado esta pagina que durante años pensé que este perfume ya no existía yo lo usaba en crema o sachet era un frasco cuadrado con letras doradas y decía Royal Secret les diré que de esto ya son como 45 años aquí en México ya no se consigue en ningún lugar pero no se si todavía tengan la crema alguien me puede responder mi correo crislizaldi@msn.com gracias les dejo un saludo

libertybelle
libertybelle

Ok, at first application I get some anise. Not any bright citrus in the opening. Smokey, strong, and definately old fashioned. But give it 15 minutes or so and it dries down much softer. Do get the patchouli and woods. I don't find it really powdery. It's one of those you're just not really sure about but it grows on you with more wearings.

KalmiaB
KalmiaB

This brings back memories - the boyfriend gave me this for Christmas in 1966 and I loved it - for winter only tho. Too heady for spring and summer, but evoked for me fireplace scenes and deep green velvet.
I am glad to know it is still available. Another year he gave Youth Dew - agh. Not nearly as nice. Even that name "Youth Dew" implies to me a body lotion like the old Avon Skin Dew or whatever it was.

I love this perfume and have worn for many years. I started wearing when I was a teenager, it is my scent calling card. When I put the perfume on within minutes I don't notice the smell. Almost every day someone asks what perfume do I have on and how wonderful it smells. I've tried other fragrances over the years but due to allergies and body chemistry they just don't work. Some said it smelled like their grandmother's perfume, I strongly disagree. I think the scent depends on your body chemistry. I had someone from Estee Lauder's corporate offices tell me that if you can smell a perfume 5 minutes after you put it on, it is not the fragrance for you. They said if you smell it, then it is too overpowering and everyone else is being bombarded by your smell - and not all smells are plesant even perfumes.

spookyjan
spookyjan

this should be worn with the application of the body lotion to keep it smelling lovely.i do like it but not much sillage here.ok for days in or when you feel undressed without some kind of perfume on your skin.would not buy this again.

geegee
geegee

I bought this at a bargain price in a gift set on a whim. I adore the elegant bottle, simple & classy with clean lines.

It is a very strong & heavy at first but within 15 minutes it has settled into something that smells like musk, yet it appears to have no musk notes. I cant smell vanilla but certainly can detect the patchouli & vetiver.

It is spicy & creamy & im enjoying smelling it on me. Makes a pleasant change from my favourite vanilla orientals but its one i wont use on special occasions but will use just as an every day fragrance when the weather is cold.

I have a feeling i will end up loving this though, it appears to be one of those perfumes that really grows on you as the day progresses.

Day 2 of wearing.

Yes i was correct about this, it is gorgeous once settled for a few hours. It leaves a warm sensual aroma to your skin & on your clothes. My fella loved it last night on me!!

If you can take your time allowing this one to flow through its well worth it in my opinion.

Its one that im going to buy again as the gift set was only £19 at direct cosmetics (UK).

nyoka
nyoka

I was ready for avgreat sensory exper9ence.One sniff and hubby said I smelled like his grandmother but,I loved it.Rich,dark and sexy.All the notes I love.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This stuff smells like spice and cream. Its a very nice scent. I love it! One of my very favorites. The Royal Secret II smells like coco and cream-slightly altered but nice also. This could be compared to Obesession Classic but not as spicy.

Michele716
Michele716

I love it and can't keep my nose away from my wrist. The base notes are what I smell and I find them very creamy and well balanced. I can see where it wouldn't appeal to everyone because it it a "heavy" scent but on me it works very well.

BethAshley
BethAshley

Wow, I feel like I am not even sampling the same perfume as the previous reviewer.

I ordered a sample of this perfume since it has a beautiful combination of notes, unfortunately on me it is heavy, stuffy and overbearing.

If this fragrance is the "royal secret" it would make sense considering the Queen is 83 years old and I couldn't imagine anyone one younger than that wearing this scent.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Glad to see this one on Fragrantica now!

Royal Secret is a traditional oriental fragrance. It's slightly sweet in the dry down, but not a buttercream vanilla like many modern oriental fragrances. The top and heart notes don't last long on me, cutting right to the chase with the base notes. This one has so-so staying power on me. I have the Eau de Cologne Concentree. Might last longer in a different concentration.

I haven't seen it in stores, but it is easily found online and very inexpensive to purchase. Fans of classic scents or amber-vanilla orientals will want to try this one. If you need a quiet oriental that is safe for the office, this one is a good choice.

Royal Secret by Germaine Monteil 3.80 out of 5 based on 133 ratings and 52 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Germaine Monteil Royal Secret fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Germaine Monteil Royal Secret, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Royal Secret by Germaine Monteil. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Royal Secret by Germaine Monteil represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.