Designers » F-H » Oriental Floral « Groups

Red Giorgio Beverly Hills for women

Red Giorgio Beverly Hills for women
dislike

Red Giorgio Beverly Hills for women Pictures

Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Red was launched in 1989. The nose behind this fragrance is Bob Aliano. Top notes are bergamot, osmanthus, ylang-ylang, orange blossom, peach, black currant, hyacinth, aldehydes and cherry; middle notes are carnation, rose, jasmine, rosemary, gardenia, tuberose, iris, lily-of-the-valley and litchi; base notes are patchouli, oakmoss, amber, cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, tonka bean, vanilla, myrhh and olibanum.

Bergamot Osmanthus Ylang-Ylang Orange Blossom Peach Black Currant Hyacinth Aldehydes Cherry

Carnation Rose Jasmine Rosemary Gardenia Tuberose iris Lily-of-the-Valley Litchi

Patchouli Oakmoss Amber Cedar Sandalwood Vetiver Tonka Bean Vanilla Myrhh Olibanum

Red Fragrance Reviews

jake.shouse

Red smells so good i prefer the Lotion over perfume. Love the lotion so much smells amazing!

lirael00
lirael00

Red is the perfect combination of carnation, cherry, sandalwood and amber. A lot of carnation fragrances can be tricky but this one does it more than well. It's a loud fragrance with very good longevity and silage.You will definitely get noticed wearing this one!

armacoonsum
armacoonsum

I was given "Red" as a gift when the scent was new... so, I must have been about 15 years old. yes, this one is probably a bit much for a 15-year-old, but I was a 15-year-old who successfully wore Poison, almost every day, taking a "break" with Tabu... I remember the gifter admitting that she had chosen it for me because I have red hair.
It's surprising to see the supposed notes all lined up above, for the most part, notes that I usually enjoy, but in "Red"... well, no.
This one is hard. I don't mean hard as in "difficult" (although, yeah, it's that too) I mean hard as in "not soft". Bitter, Aggressive, Loud... there is the impression of motor oil and maybe even rubber? Harsh. I should add, this stream of adjectives is coming from a girl who loves Angel. Tabu. Poison. Must de cartier. So, not someone who is fragrance-shy.
"Red" is, sincerely, the only perfume that has ever *actually* given me a migraine. I gave it two chances, and both times, I had to take Imitrex and lie down in the dark. Not exaggerating. I know people say that fragrances they don't like gave them "instant migraine", and maybe half of them actually mean it. I actually mean it.

kelleybelle
kelleybelle

Found a sample of vintage pure parfum on eBay :) I loved it years ago and still love it now. If you'd like some then insist on the vintage. Gorgeous! Almost like sweeter (reformulated) Cinnabar and making me think a little of Royal Secret. It smells so "golden" and I can't wait for cool autumn days to wear it. So warm and delicious and truly original. I'm surprised more scents didn't try to copy it. Quality from top to bottom with an exquisite, delicious drydown. Cherries, peaches, vanilla, amber, oh my!

greeneyedsoul
greeneyedsoul

My mama wore this when I was a kid. Everything she touched smelled like it, especially her purse. It was definitely her too. She's an olive skinned bombshell. It smells like sweet scarlet and Big Red gum.

alchimia72
alchimia72

I have to say thanks to my dear friend Stregalietta who sends me her empty bottle some months aGO. I could smell it and I decided to order one bottle from a web site. I must say I fell in love instantly. I detect carnation sorrounded by a sweet floral and cherry bouquet. I can say it's a spicy fragrance for me not gourmand but more sweet and wearable than Youth Dew or Cinnabar. The price is wonderful but anyone can think the fragrance I wear is so cheap. It smell more expensive. Well Done. I forget to say I have a current version and I'm very satisfied from it.

Matusha
Matusha

This was the first gourmand before all of the trendy Angel clones hit the market. It was from Giorgio Beverly Hills so one assumed it must be as large as the original. I picked up a bottle as soon as it hit the stores. It announced my presence until about 1993. Red was effortless in its beauty.

My first thought was carnation, red rose and some white floral dipped in a cherry vanilla sundae. Oh it didn't stop there. Next came rich amber, patchouli, oakmoss, sandalwood and luscious incense. It was well blended and lasted until your next shower. Is it chypre or more oriental? I feel it was the calling card for the gourmand without the sugar or rancid fruit notes that often followed.

Its definitely a cold weather scent and imagine my grandmother in the 1950s in her fox coat would really shine in this. Both seem out of fashion and vulgar in todays "politically correct" fashion world. I say wear what you want...

So I sampled the new version from EA Fragrance. It had its essence but none of the kick of the original. Its like analog to digital.

Scout
Scout

IMO this needs more carnation and iris and less of these extensive, enormous heavy base notes. To a certain degree, it's in the same family to me of Opium, Youth Dew. Not at all bright. Just heavy and powdery. Even the cherry in here which might otherwise add some sweet tart dimension in any other fragrance gets rolled over by what some people call "old lady." Amber, Oakmoss, Patchouli, Olibanum, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Vanilla. I mean, really?? Why bother with the fruits at all? They don't have a chance. I don't even get them distinctly on the opening which is when they theoretically should leap forth. There is some bit of cranberry orange juice in here, but that's all I'm getting. Not my signature or my vibe. If it's yours, you must be one heck of a woman to cut through this cloud :) !!

Thick,rich,creamy vanilla pudding
topped with ripe succulent red cherries.
Subtle cinnamon marshmallow sugar completes
sensual taste enjoyment while sitting by
a cozy October fireplace. In the distance captain of her heart by double
Creates timeless romance. Red is not a
fragrance but an experience!!!!

redrapturelove

I love this exquisite fragrance.
I love the cherry, carnation,
Vanilla, and patchouli notes.
Wearing it takes me back to the eighties
When I spray it on I think of Julia Roberts in pretty woman at the opera with Richard g. Or a chic bistro in l.a. with Brian ferry's slave to love playing in the background. Red explodes with warmth and sensuality yet remains innocent and playful. I enjoy wearing it all fall season and even on hot Florida summer days. Although I love lots of other fragrances this one is the best.

Migalex
Migalex

I suppose the bottle I have is not the new Elizabeth Arden's version, since it says Procter and Gamble and is made in the UK. Well, it is one of the strongest fragrances I ever smelled. it is only EdT but smells as strong as if it were pure perfume. Personally, I am not very fond of carnation, and for that reason I do not find the scent marvelous. But I do like it a lot, since there are other things I do appreciate a lot in this fragrance: as well as the strength, it is dense, very complex, one can smell distinctly lots of notes at once, and there is a very good balance amongst the notes so that carnation scent is not really overwhelming. Together with carnation, the notes I feel more intensely are myhrr, sandalwood, amber, tuberose jasmine and hyacinth. It is at the same time dense and sweet from amber and jasmine, harsh from carnation and myrrh, powdery from sandalwood and tuberose, and still has a metalic edge from Hyacinth. I can feel those four textures at once, which is quite unusual. I think it is quite a good fragrance, and also find the bottle very beautiful.

I have a well kept bottle from the late 1980s and I think this is just wonderful. High end department stores only carried it. It captures the color RED in every way. Power, heat, leadership, anger, passion and true love! When you are bold enough to wear something red-even a scarf or handbag is the perfect accent, this is the scent to wear!

It is a velvety, waxy, sultry powerhouse statement that cannot be ignored. Its amber, rose, sandalwood and some fruity notes. Peach, black currant and cherry open the way for the later gourmands that would seem like a "fruit salad" in comparison to Red.

Its perfect for the holidays. I always felt it reminded me of Christmas. Waxy, red candles that you have to get close to. Its very comfortable. It like a warm blanket that you refuse to leave on a chilly morning.

Now, I discovered it was back on the market from EA Fragrances at my local Wal-Mart. I sampled it and it should be called "Pale Red". The notes tend to fizzle out rather quickly. Why dont they just call it something else rather than try to "rewrite" our memories? It just seems dishonest.

tarsmom
tarsmom

This was my signature scent in the 90's - beautiful and back then it was sold at the department stores. I keep a small spray bottle for old time's sake and wear it occasionally. I find that if I spray one spritz from above my head and walk through it, that's all you need. This is not a scent to spritz, spritz, spritz, and believe me you will know if some has done that and gets near you. Worn in a very tiny dose, it's gorgeous. But don't be tempted to overdo it as it's a heavy fragrance.

calyx93
calyx93

Just bought this in a lot of 20 various vintage scents in an estate sale.

So far, it's a cherry/carnation bomb - but it has bits of oriental notes that, once the vapors start to clear, clearly veers off into a unique oriental. I get marigold, tuberose + a blur of white florals, stone fruits, spices, resin, musks - there's even some grounding oakmoss and sandalwood in there too.

However, it never seems to fully lose that cherry vapor floating over the whole - and because of that - it tends to remind me of public bathroom deodorizers at gas stations in the U.S. Not like the bathroom scent of Kouros at all, but that musky cherry scent that seems to have been chosen to best disguise the smell of urine. Also reminds me of adult bookstores from the 80's - it's rather dirty in its strange fruitiness ...a bit rated X if you will.

But hey, that's just an association, nothing bad about it, though - I actually kind of like it and might try wearing it this week, despite it's heaviness. I think I'm queer enough to pull it off - can't wait to hear what my fellow fashion vampires say ;)

Labaloo
Labaloo

I recently acquired a vintage bottle, and have also sampled the new reformulation: the minimalization of the oakmoss/herbal/floral facet is quite apparent in the new one- in fact, it's as if the whole head and heart both had the volume turned down to be more-in-line with more-recent compositions; the vintage is indeed far-more complex and powerful! (and although these facets have now been lost, I do admire the retention of Red's core identity- it is still relevant!) The intricate play of these high-sillage notes has been discussed here already at length, but what I find most-facinating is the drydown exposing a base of admirable longevity: as others have mentioned, it is very like EL 'Cinnabar' with a prominent note of cinnamon over benzoin ("amber") with careful touches of vanilla, patchouli, sandalwood, and white musk- and the ever-present oakmoss keeping this "dry" and far from sweet-gourmandish. Quite an exquisite chypre- and worth seeking out in either of its incarnations.

rhaineclayton
rhaineclayton

I had this a few years ago and LOVED it! A little goes a long way. I love its sweetness - like biting into a chewy fruit candy paired with more sophisticated woody tones - YUM! I decided this would be my new signature (as Elysium is sadly discontinued) and bought a new bottle. To my horror the new one smelt awful! The sweetness was overpowered by something else - something so awful I can't even describe it! Not sure if I got one that was off or if they changed the formula. Either way, I haven't been game to try again.

Update: I gave it another shot because it was a very good price. Smells more like what I remember (maybe a bit more spicy than I remember but sweet enough). Obviously my last one was off. I still like it but not love it - I wonder if I've outgrown it?

2nd update: Today I tested Tuscany Per Donna which I used to love and there is something a bit harsh about it now (maybe my sense of smell has changed since having a child). The "spicy" that I thought I could smell in Red is the same it's not really a spiciness at all but just a harshness that overpowers the sweetness I loved.

soniamcalear

STOP THE PRESS!!!!!!!!! THIS HAS BEEN REFORMULATED!!!! I JUST GOT A NEW BOTTLE AND DOES NOT SMELL THE SAME AS MY OLDER BOTTLE. THIS STUFF HAS GARDINIA WHICH I LOATH AND HATE MORE THAN ANYTHING. THE NEW STUFF STINKS!!!!

soniamcalear

This is one of my "Signature" scents. I ADORE IT IN THE SUMMER. It is a wonderful scent any time of the year but I adore it more in the summer.

jake.shouse

i love this perfume reminds me so much of cinnabar and youthdew but Red smells divine will always be a fav!

AngelaChase
AngelaChase

This...is...absolutely...BEAUTIFUL! This is definitely a woman's perfume, not a girls perfume, at all! This is super sexy and sophisticated! This reminds me of the strong business women of the 80’s. With their designer outfits, shoulder pads, big hair, brightly coloured makeup and a real “I am woman, hear me roar” attitude when they stride down the halls of a workplace, as you hear their high-healed stilettos crash like the sound of glass breaking with each step as a reminder that they can put you in your place, even if you’re a man and fire you on the spot, so watch what you say and do...as they fill the air with RED each time they rush by!
But at the same time, this is very comforting and motherly for a stay at home mum who hugs and kisses her children in the morning as they leave the house for the school bus and before she spends her day caring for her proud home and preparing a heart warming meal for the family she loves more than life! And the first thing her family smell as the walk in the front door is the caring, warming and inviting scent of...RED!
This is NOTHING like the first and original Giorgio! So if you have smelt that before and even HATE IT...you will still love this perfume! Think of Charlie and how strong that is and then what it was like to smell the romantic Charlie-Red and you’ll understand the big difference between Giorgio and RED!
Despite most of the notes in RED seeming sweet, this is NOT a sweet, candy, flower perfume that most perfumes seem to smell like today...NO WAY! This has a lot of Cherry, plum, black currant and orange blossom that all have sweetness, yet also a smooth sour way of blending perfectly with rosemary, gardenia, amber, cedar and vanilla! This is very close to being an actual oriental because it does have real Asian notes! Most perfumes think sandalwood, musk and oakmoss represent oriental...wrong! Read all the notes on this page above, for the full details, and see how many wonderful notes are in this one perfume. It’s a very unique variety, that at first would make you think is way too much for one perfume to handle, but every single note seems to have it’s own time in the spotlight for a couple of minutes throughout the whole time you’re wearing this! Very well done to the Giorgio team for being able to make so many notes shine together!
The best thing about RED, is that it’s not a spray, it’s actually a light mist, making it perfect for all pulse-points (Both sides of the neck and both wrists) because it's very gentle! Whereas Giorgio blasts like a water cannon in only one spray, making it hard to use more than one spray on yourself.
Does not fill a large room but people can smell this within 6 feet, and it draws in many, many complements!
Very good for both dry and moist skin types. Has great longevity, up to 9/10 hours!
Perfect for day and night time use (Does have that slightly more night time feel about it) and also smells and feels like Autumn when you wear it! So great for the fall season.
8/10 for me...will buy another bottle once I’ve finished!
The only bad thing for me, is that the bottle is very oddly shaped, making it, not hard to hold exactly, but almost uncomfortable when spraying yourself because of it’s sideways shape! I didn't even notice the shape of the bottle when looking at the picture before buying. It was not until I opened the box and held it in my hand, that I noticed it's strange shape!

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

I don't think it smells like Youth Dew or Tabu. I can't speak for Cinnabar as I haven't had the pleasure of smelling it. For me, the closest I can compare it to is Charlie Blue and Estee Lauder Beautiful. It is a more feminine version of Charlie Blue and a less floral version of Beautiful so it is kind of like a hybrid of the two. I have the EA version.

It is a rich floral chypre---I don't get the cherry note that some people are talking about. It's a complex fragrance that starts boozy then mellows to a nice mix of dirty mossy roses and woods. It smells best when worn on the skin that is covered by clothing---that way it sort of gets heated and you get varying facets of it. with exposed skin, like the arms or wrists, it goes straight up cigar and fireplace. I experience the same thing with Chanel Cristalle, which after years of study have discovered that the best place to put it is on the nape and at the tummy.

It is a high impact fragrance, so it comes with the maximum 2 sprays rule. I love it.

Update: 2 sprays are way too much for me as this blooms in the heat. A few dabs here and there is enough for me. Amazing perfume and so tastefully done indeed.

ryan.oconnor.7161
ryan.oconnor.7161

Smelled fantastic for the first 30 minutes, then turned into almost pure cinnamon smell. No idea why, the notes don't list that...

shannonny
shannonny

A dear friend just bequeathed me a shoebox-full of 80s beauties today: I've spent most of the afternoon trying them, and as you can imagine, it's been an incredible indulgence. After having tested them all, on my skin, I find that Red is really gorgeous. I absolutely get the cherry-rose-smoke segue, which even on paper sounds beautiful to me. No ashtray smell at all on drydown: no, a veil of smoke from hardwood embers, and a few sips of the smoothest kirsch to feel sleepy and content.

Even knowing the name, and captive to its unpleasant Beverly Hills associations (and I do find Beverly Hills unpleasant), I prefer to associate Red with rosiness, the warmth of a tasteful home filled with low light and soft furnishings, somewhere in the hills of California, where the scent of chimney smoke and redolent, white-flower gardens waft together through open windows.

jake.shouse

I liked it still do attimes but i stick with scents i know someone around me isent wearing if i am the only one that weeks too come wearing Red that is a turn on if i smell it on someone else it makes me want too not wear it you want too smell like yourself not like the random person next too you this day in age their are not many good perfumes they all smell alike being 28 yrs old i like the 80's scents i was born in 1984 so by 5 yrs old we were nearing 1990 and in kindergarden and was too young too understand perfume but i can say this smelled good on me but it did attimes went sour and it kinda did smell like ciggs or very old... I do like Red but perfer my mom wearing it it smells good on her...

LULUBELLEFISHER
LULUBELLEFISHER

This was a blind buy for me. Must admit that I am happy with the fragrance. The opening notes remind me of Revlon Moon Drops. I could be wrong though.

Lushylori

I just read some of the other reviews about the cigarette smoke and i didn't notice until now but instead of having distain for the smoky note,it kind of made me like it more haha. Today after i put some on my freshly cleaned skin (unscented soap)I'm also getting a strong soapy scent.Not like a drug store soap but more like an elegant vintage type of soap.
This perfume is a lot more complex then what i originally thought :)

Lushylori

I just came across this one tonight in a Zellers store here in Canada. Its been years since I've seen it or owned it so I bought it.
Wowza!! This perfume has strength boys and girls LOL
I don't remember it being so strong.
I love the 80's and how bold the designers made the perfume though. They made it to last :)
I think it kind of smells like a cheaper more chemically scented version of Tresor.
Its OBVIOUSLY not as well done as Tresor and it does contain different notes and it IS stronger but I'm smelling Tresor in there some where.
I own that one too :)
Over all,Its a good fragrance as long as you don't over do it.
Perfume sensitive people would probably loathe a person wearing Red but if you just lightly spray it,its a nice & classy scent for a winter night,especially if you had somewhere fancy to attend.
I'm really happy to see this still being sold.
I won't use it a lot but its nice to get a blast from the past sometimes just to satisfy the memory craving :)

aber19

I do not put this fragrance on the skin, but place it on my clothes. It lasts longer and smells better than on the skin. Additionally, I am wary about puting chemicals on my skin because I do not know what they actually put in.

aber19

I love this perfume what a masterpiece!. It is a warm winter and sweet fragrance which lingers for hours. I like the difference of this solid fragrance. It is a sweet, collection of strong flowers. This fragrance is for a lady who is confident, mature and loves a quality fragrance which a lot of depth. Caution: do you put too much on, less is more with this one or you will feel sick. This is a 80's fragrance whereby boldness was in. Now light sweet candy fragrances, with little lasting quality remains. Perhaps they want you to use more product. I have kept my bottle, and will probably buy another bottle because it may be phrased out later.

julieanneh
julieanneh

I agree with The Swedish Woman. This smelt horrible on me, of old cigarette butts.

maiker
maiker

ONE LIFE...!!!
when y was 10 years old. y always go in to the perfume shop. look at the beauty of the bottle. i was very poor so it was very cruel to only look. and think that one day a can eable to buy one of them.

when i see RED GIORGIO BEVERLY HILLS. i really love the colour of the liquid and the box. i ask the sale lady to let me smell it. she say to me. sorry you cant afford to buy it. i was so sad. after a couple of years. i stop see this perfume. i go to school. start work. god help me so much. i have my own house and car.

today i was at a perfume store and i see this. i cant expalin the feeling i had. i tell the sale girl. take it out please. and i touch it. and i at last get to smell it. it was such a joyfull experience. i smell. almond, amber, sandalwood. flower. omg love this so much. thank god. :)

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

No, no, no. This perfume is not for me...
I was hoping for cherries and balmy christmas-y cinnamon.
But what I got was the smell of an unclean and cigarett smoking man (patchouli), harsh woods, bitter hyacint, mint, urine smelling citrus and rubbery tuberose.

A very strange and unfresh scent.

rosembloom
rosembloom

I personally cannot compare this beauteous fragrance to any other. It starts off with a spicy cherry blast. Is it heavy and sexy? Oh yeah! Those spices remain, leaving a warm trail and sillage that is sweetened by the fruit: lychee, cherry, peach, and blackcurrant. It warms me up , cheers me up and at the same time , makes me feel sultry and sexy. It is a very much loved 'celebration' scent to me and I find it great for the hollidays. Sweet smokey woods, honeyed resins and spices and florals that do not screech. Lovely combo with great longevity, sillage and personality: s.o. mentionned Grace Kelly.. I agree xxx

PLUMPIE

Edit - I have previously reviewed this and at first I loved the hot firey scent this delivers however there is just something not right with the Marigold like notes (though marigold is not mentioned in the notes) on my skin when it mixes with the spices it becomes a cloying peppery mess - like yellow flower pollen mixed with white pepper, my partners allergies flare up instantly when I wear this and everyone around me starts sneezing. Such a shame - this has been re-gifted. I can see it would be certainly dead sexy on the right chemistry. Sometimes my skin really just intesifies the spices in fragrances to the point where it is unbearable and I smell like a spice rack but not in a good way, similar fragrances I do this to are Hot Couture (smells like pure fresh ground black pepper on me), Opium (a box of burnt cinnamon), Organza (smells like pure nutmeg on me), Omnia (nothing but saffron and cardamon) Spellbound (pure clove oil on me - to the point of being dentistry), SJP lovely (like a shaker of white pepper around me)...

sandyfeet123
sandyfeet123

My mom used to wear this :) i kept the bottle even thought she finished it and when i sniff its still so strong!!

Very bold and for the mature tastes its edt but its so strong and long lasting dont spray more than one twice i my opinion.

SandraV
SandraV

I love this stuff-I can't add much to the other actual reviews except to say when I spray this on I am instantly transported back to the 80s(in a good way).For some reason I always think of the movie 'Working Girl' when I smell this-I bet everyone rocked this and Giorgio at the office back then(I was only 15 when it came out and wasn't in the work world yet):):)

mahoneybee
mahoneybee

My husband absolutely LOVES this on me - and I like it on me, too. I get compliments from absolute strangers when I'm wearing it, but it's so heavy for daytime and summer. Does anyone who loves Giorgio Red have suggestions for something a little lighter for daytime and/or summer use? Thanks!

elizabethari
elizabethari

I'm a firm believer that scents cannot be dated. Yes, one may associate a frangrance type by the era the formula was most popular in, but it's a smell, not a dress. Red is the sexiest perfume I have ever had the pleasure of sniffing. To me, it's legendary! I wear this scent beautifully, with a lighter touch as well. In my (never) humble opinion, Opium, Poison, Coco, can all be highly offensive if worn too heavily. Red isn't "cool" to wear anymore, but I've never really cared about cool. I was way too young to have worn any Giorgio Beverly Hills during their day in the sun. But, I love this Red lady, AND her sister Giorgio, too. Just because they smell really, REALLY good. :)

Sofia Ambrose
Sofia Ambrose

when I first bought it, I wasn't very impressed but after it sat around unused for some three years and I tried it again I absolutely fell in love with it! It apparently gets better with age or was it me who changed?

Ladyofthe80s
Ladyofthe80s

"Carnation", your review of RED is awesome!!! I could not have said it any better if I tried. Red is not a forgettable fragrance, and I could actually get by with wearing it if the situation called for a LOUD, BOISTEROUS, IN YOUR FACE perfume. I bought a tiny sampler bottle just in case one day at work I need to get everyone's attention (for whatever reason...ha!) But overall, I don't want my cologne showing up before I do and everyone wondering who forgot it was the year 2012!! But ya gotta love the 80's!! I certainly do!! That decade will forever hold a special place in my heart. And I've got my old friend "Red" standing by for when I need a blast (of fragrance) from the past!!! Peace...totally. :o)

perhapspersephone

In the terms of hollywood Giorgio would be Cameron Diaz. Bright , sunny and sexy in a california girl way. RED ? She would be Angelina Jolie, dark , sexy and mysterious. Both beautiful in their own way.

krmarich
krmarich

Red has skillfully been preserved by EA fragrance with little change. I never really embraced Red in its original form, yet I do remember its bold statement. It was decidedly darker and sweeter than the original and yes, redder!

Carnation and rose introduced this mighty display of notes that change every few minutes or so. It is a revolving door of notes that play for hours, rarely taking the stage for long.

This is Hollywood in winter. Cool, inviting and shiny. There is a cool breeze blowing. Just an undercurrent of sadness lies below. The celebrity I match this to is Judy Garland. Its powerful, sensitive, emotional and larger than life. The red is of course, a nod to those ruby slippers.

This fragrance reminds me of the 80's in a good way. It's a strong spicy woody oriental on me. The florals don't stand out much but they do contribute a sense of balance to this scent. The woody mossy tones in this are contrasted with an underlying sweet spiciness. Like many 80's fragrances, this is strong, so use sparingly. When applied in the proper dosage, this is warm and inviting, yet powerful.

PLUMPIE

I recieved this today after purchasing un-sniffed 90mls and I am glad I did. Love at first sniff I knew from the notes I would love it. This has the peppery spicy richness of Diors Farenheit and a lovely warm dryly sweet powdery base. I dont find this loud at all oh so wearable. I almost want to buy another one incase I can't find it again.

pmanes
pmanes

I agree with you katyas, Red unfolds from spicy to powdery floral to roses. On me, it settles down as a lovely fresh yet warm powdery floral. There is no scent like it in the world. I wore this on my wedding day in 1994 and for years after. I revisited this scent and now I find that I crave it constantly because it suits me so well. It can be overpowering at first, so I spray it inside my bra, only one small "half-spray" as I call it, so the scent has a chance to really become a part of me. When wearing fragrance this way, I find that the stronger scents do not offend.

jackii
jackii

Beautiful seductive musky fragrance. I had the 3.4 fl. oz. bottle: it was too large to carry any where - lol. The scent reminded me of my Grandmother's Memoire Cherie perfume only stronger.

downtown
downtown

Red has the same affect on me that catnip has on a cat...makes me a little crazy! I love this smell...it sort of controls me.

Snookums
Snookums

loud, loud, LOUD! Much too loud for me and totally headache inducing.

cowgirl64505@yahoo.com
cowgirl64505@yahoo.com

I absolutely loved this fragrance when it first came out, and wore it for several years. It was strong, but clean. But then they must have changed the formulation because even though I have attempted to purchase it a couple of times in the past perhaps 7 years, now it seems to have an offputting, moldy undertone. I can't stand to wear it now. This really upsets me because I loved this frangrance most of all.

Nikitha
Nikitha

I had my brother buy it for me when i was around 14 because i spelled it in a magazine and fell in love.
Turned out that it was too over powering for me, i disposed it last week, after 7 years.
Strongly suggest that people try it on themselves a good few hours before buying.
It is very strong, mature and again very strong.

Peachy
Peachy

It smelled wonderful on a co-worker. I went and bought a bottle and it smelled nothing like it smelled on her. Maybe it was my body chemistry, but it was awful. I ended up giving her the bottle.

Soutty123
Soutty123

I made a mistake blind buying this one. It catches in the back of my throat and makes me sneeze. Then it gives me a headache. Too strong even for winter evening wear for me I'm afraid.

olga1780

Well, I put it on again and still all I'm getting is a base of an oriental woody fragrance, something sweet and woody and nothing outstanding. Actually, believe it or not I find Red very inoffensive, that intimidating potency lasts only a few minutes, although it is very noticeable and lasts for a while.
I am definitely not getting any complexity from this fragrance, not to mention the masterpiece part. Too generic to my nose to waste time on.
I guess it's totally not my cup of tea.

olga1780

Maybe I made my nose work overtime these days by all kinds of testing but I can't really smell Red. I mean I can tell it's something potent because it hurts my nose, but i can't really figure out its character.All i am getting is some generic scent reminiscent of a drydown of some spicy woody fragrance.
I will leave it alone for a few days and try again later.

IamWoman
IamWoman

Ah-hem (clearing my throat)...although Giorgio could never PAY me to wear its signature fragrance, I do stand corrected in my previous review of "Red". A similarly-named fragrance gave me the "bludgeoning" effect I described, as I rediscovered in a recent attempt to use it. Red, in MODERATION, is quite different. Fragaria and Malegria, I agree with both of you. This fragrance IS classy and feminine ...it's a "power" foral fragrance, with a woody/spicy sensuality. It is a strong, head-turning, '80/'90's fragrance, with a unique distinction. It can, however, given body chemistry, also be headache-inducing. As Malegria stated, you have to wait on this frgrance. I found that as it softens, it seems to warm and evolve. To me, this is definitely one for cold weather, as I believe the notes would really sparkle. One word of caution: apply this potent fragrance with care.

20thcenturyrelic
20thcenturyrelic

Received this as a gift, loved it, used up the bottle. Wonder why I didn't buy more? Hmm. Maybe I'll wander over to eBay.

I liked Red for winter, and I agree with other reviewers that it's strong. This worked well for me because I have very dry skin. But, I would suggest applying this lightly.

Joanna2533
Joanna2533

This is a classical fragrance. Rather than Oriental Floral, it smells to me Woody Spicy-Woody Oriental. I can smell much vanilla in it too. I think, I am a bit allergic to this product, but stil I have and use it occasionaly, especially in winter time.

Siv55
Siv55

Like Ysatis, only in a less offensively ugly bottle. Still smells old and ropey though.

ReinaT
ReinaT

I loved this perfume when it first launched! I smell alot of rose in it, but apparently that is only in the middle note. I find that I can't wear the EDT, it has to be the perfume, otherwise it smells "scratchy" on me. It is a beautiful, elegant, warm floral fragrance that is sophisticated and in the line of a classic perfume. I would say it is not for girls, but more for older ladies or women. Very pretty and it can be worn in any season or day or night.

cisco

In going through my fragrances as possible Christmas gifts, I discovered vintage Red cologne, lotion, and bath gel. I really love it. It is obviously a kissing cousin of the new Red but it is much brighter and lighter. I prefer this to the new Red. Awesomeness is correct in saying get the new Red Lotion because it is wonderful and has fantastic staying power. Sorry Cousin Janet, you are not getting my vintage Red.

missyheart888
missyheart888

This is my first perfume ever, way back 1993. My uncle gave this for my birthday present...

Until now, Im still in love with this perfume and no other perfumes have the same smell of RED. Very unique, classic & extra ordinary...
It just that its hard for me to find it again. Malls in sg dont sell this anymore =(

Sarah Bas Eleazar
Sarah Bas Eleazar

Great! for me is a pure cherry!

nyoka
nyoka

THIS IS one powerful fume.Exotic even.The flowers run the gamut from beginning to end.On me,it is everchanging,evolving,like a living thing! THe florals all smell like fresh cut flowers and I catch just a lil spiciness,which I like.It only takes a lil.It has great sillage but lies close to the skin for u too. a creamy floral masterpiece ,

Fragaria
Fragaria

Joan Crawford? This is dated to 80's and 90's? OPIUM? What a surprise. A lady came into my place of employment and she appeared very much to be the type of women many have described wearing this. She was the Joan Crawford type, rough voice, and smelled like she SHOULD have had Opium on to me. The perfume she wore was lovely, clean, soft and young. She sure didn't match the perfume! I asked what she was wearing and it was Red! I never would have even tried this before. I think I am the only one that smells this as something clean, fresh, feminine, soft, and more Grace Kelly than Joan Crawford. I'm the Grace Kelly type also. These reviews are SO fun but I worry now that I am the ONLY one that thinks this is lovely enough for to even wear to church? I'll probably try this in case is was a freak accident this smelled so good! If it smells on me like it did her, I'll own this. She sure appeared to be what you all describe but before I knew it was Joan Crawford, I was looking around for Grace Kelly. Wish me LUCK!

Contessa01
Contessa01

This is not a fragrance necessarily for teens. But it's kind of like it... Imagine a woman in the 80's in a red powersuit, red lipstick, blonde hair, gold jewellery, black pantyhose and high heels who grabs all the mens attention... its sexy in that way. The tobacco note is very prominent in this. I personally find this too bitter and strong but on some women it would be great.

cisco

I was really down on Red and then I figured out I was using way tooooooooo much. You must use this in moderation. It is, for me, a Winter fragrance. The one really good thing about the strong fragrances is if you apply them correctly you get a lot for your money. I am keeping mine to use next Winter in moderation.

spookyjan
spookyjan

i really like this fragrance,its classy an the sillage is strong but not overpowering,always get comments when i wear this,reasonable price an a lovely perfume to wear through the day or on an evening out.

Malegria
Malegria

A con artist among perfumes! It clings to you, it`s annoying, it tells too many things at once, it blows your mind and makes your head spin, promises wonderful things....then you kind of get used to it and ready to give it your money, lol!!!!
Red is...well, red as it is.It is the bright side of the 80s, the shoulder power suit, the glossy pantyhose, the times of almost virginal 90s are not yet seen in the crystal ball and the party goes on full blast. If it is a rose - by god, it is long stemmed, velvety and intoxicating, and the skankiness - it will make the civet cat have seizures from envy.Beware of the staying power, it is beyond your wildest dreams.
It softens up a bit later on. Don`t give up on it at once.Some people who can pull it off are walking proudly among us mortals, surrounded by a powdery carnation/rose/every red flower existing fragrant halo, and do they turn heads!
Unfortunately, I am not on of those lucky ones. It suppresses me and causes a migraine.Unfortunately.....

blueberry
blueberry

True, it is a strong perfume. But absolutely fabulous! To me it seems similar to Opium, which is one of my best ever, so I really like it. Amazing staying power. Very elegant and classy. It is a must have for those who like strong, vibrant perfumes and do not care it is so 90s style.
UPDATE: a 'must have' for winter, best performance when it's freezing outside!

secretcrush
secretcrush

GOD AWFUL!!! MY MOM USED TO KILL THIS IN THE 90'S AND I NEVER(EVEN 2 THIS DAY) UNDERSTOOD Y, LOL... ITS JUST WAY 2 STRONG AND USED TO GIVE ME A TUMMY ACHE, I ALSO REMEMBER SOMETHING RATHER BITTER IN ITS OPENING WHEN SHE FIRST APPLIED I...

Sissi
Sissi

A Tight low cut long sleeved Red V necked gown a tall slender women
with long Blonde hair and fire red lips. with the peek a boo hair made famous by Veronica Lake
Rodeo Drive Ala 1990 Meryl Streep
with her long Red Nails Stroking the red satin sheets and she slowly walks
towards you and then the scent of fire
sandalwood spices myrrh rose vanilla
Caresses your senses the fire buring in the backround. when i wher this i get this vibe

I Think it's to strong to give a headache so were it lighty my friend

soniamcalear

Damn strong!!!! Its too strong for me, it reminds me of Cinnabar by Estee Lauder. It has that Bayberry candle dry down to it. I cannot ware this although It smells wonderful on other people and don't mind smelling it as long as it is not on me.

angelasings
angelasings

This was a very disappointing unsniffed purchase. There is a lingering note in the base which I find nauseating. This is unfortunate as it is not is the top notes and neither in the body lotion. It's a very 'cluttered' fragrance which makes me recall the 80's and feel my age - neither is worth pondering.
My husband loves it (!?)

guest_bozi
guest_bozi

A very classy perfume and longlasting smell like babything.love it!

It is a very classy and high quality perfume. We should be glad that not all high quality perfumes have a pricey price tag, or else I would not be able to buy all those that I liked.

Enjoy your perfume, men really love it!!

Jolka
Jolka

I've ordered this perfumes and now I'm curious about them, after all reviews. Now I' m afraid I'll be disappointed.

tangledvines
tangledvines

I don't want to offend anyone with my opinion, but I found this perfume on the verge of revolting. It smells like a dank, mossy, woody swamp with a hint of something strange.....fake cherry? I couldn't stand it. Red 2 seems to have some nice notes in it. I wonder if it smells like the original or if it is completely different?

msskatie
msskatie

My mom gave me my first bottle of this lovely fragrance.Today I stopped by a garage sale, just to waste time before I met with friends. On the table near the entrance was a bottle of Giorgio Red, complete with purple, gold and red cord. It has a crystal stopper on it and still has 1/2 of the fragrance left in it. (It is one quarter ounce of pure perfume.) The amazing thing is that not only does it still smells great, but I paid .50 cents for it. Tha made my day.

milena
milena

Fell in love with this fragrance just by basing on the reviews.Guess what, it's a winner.Judge not by price.

Sassy1
Sassy1

Love this stuff. It's a lush floral with just enough spice to make it interesting. More proof of my aldehyde addiction.

cassio
cassio

I´m a big fan of this.
It´s sexy and powerfull, rich fragrance for sexy woman.

falovalo
falovalo

Really powerful and heady. It's quite old fashioned, as in it brings to mind big shoulder pads and big hair from the 80's. Not very pleasant, ick!

jewels
jewels

There is no competition for perfume with men when I wear this. All men love this on me, many have even stopped me on the street just to ask what I am wearing. (I assume to buy for their wives) My husband's favorite hands down, even his boss loves to smell me! I had bought this for myself many years ago and my husband has bought it for me ever since, I guess he wants to make sure I don't run out. To be honest, I'm sure it's under the tree already! Not all women have liked Red, but it drives men crazy and since I love it, it's a keeper!

katyas
katyas

I have completely turned around on my opinion of this fragrance, so I am re-doing my review. I just put some on this morning and while I found the first spray to be a tiny bit over-powering, I quickly found myself enraptured with the way the scent was unfolding. I would run into the kitchen every few minutes going "hey, honey, smell it NOW" as new scents unfolded - from spicy to powdery floral to fresh to roses ... This is just a lovely fragrance and I'm glad that my body chemistry has adjusted over the years to where I can now enjoy it.

Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills 3.60 out of 5 based on 375 ratings and 85 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Giorgio Beverly Hills Red fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Giorgio Beverly Hills Red, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.