Designers » F-H » Leather « Groups

Red for Men Giorgio Beverly Hills for men
dislike

herbal
leather
Red for Men Giorgio Beverly Hills for men Pictures Red for Men Giorgio Beverly Hills for men Pictures

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills is a Leather fragrance for men. Top notes are artemisia, basil, bergamot and caraway; middle notes are carnation, jasmine, geranium, juniper berries, rose and thyme; base notes are amber, leather, cedar, oakmoss and patchouli.

Artemisia Basil Bergamot Caraway

Tuscan Leather

Red for Men Fragrance Reviews

mattie5960
mattie5960

I picked this stuff up at Ross a few weeks ago for $15. Initially, I wasn't a big fan of it just because it's such a screamer, and I'd applied too much in the wrong places. Since wearing it a few times, I'm only applying one spray to my wrist, which I then dab on the other wrist, and then dab the excess on both wrists beneath my ears. One spray spread thin on 4 spots does it for me -- this stuff is loud.

But anyway, I've really come to enjoy it for the right atmospheres. It's a very mature smell that reminds me of what my dad used to wear when I was young. I wear it any night that I plan on smoking because it's strong enough to cut through the smell of cig smoke. It's a good scent for a dive bar type atmosphere, or maybe a semi-formal occasion. Something about this just smells like a tough guy to me, and I really like it for that. I think this could work well as a signature scent for a guy whose hands after a lifetime of physical labor are as tough as the leather that this smells like, but for a younger guy like me it'll be reserved for the occasions that I mentioned above. I'm happy to have it in my collection if only for those occasions.

gallian
gallian

I write for the vintage one that i assume is 1990, as i read on the box, this is a very strong fragrance, with a nice ambery and musky drydown, i think it's really beautiful.
Great sillage, powerhouse longevity.
9/10.

PS
I think Red GBH first edition is less smokey than Knize Ten, I think also that RED is BETTER than Knize Ten.

cytherian
cytherian

Red For Men was originally released in 1991 and then exclusive licensing was transferred to EA (Elizabeth Arden) in 2007, after which resulted in a reformulation. Some say the two are practically identical while others swear they're noticeably different. How do you tell the difference between the two, when the bottle is virtually identical? Well, there are some telltale signs on the packaging. If the bottom says "Made in USA", you've got the EA version. I managed to get an original.

Well, I just can't believe it. Nearly 20 people have said this reminds them of Knize Ten--what? I find the fact that they both have leather about the only commonality. In fact, I am rather floored to find that after applying RFM (Red For Men) to my skin, it produces an aroma remarkably close to vintage Perry Ellis For Men. Maybe it's my skin? Or perhaps many who have reviewed this haven't tried the vintage version of PEFM? Whatever the case... for me they're extremely close, not only in aroma but also in sillage and longevity. I must give a hearty two-thumbs-up for this. Now if only I could find another "pre-EA" bottle! 9.5/10

tgnetz
tgnetz

I bought this in hopes that it had the same sillage as Giorgio for Men but it is a bit weaker. The fragrance is a lot like Halston 1-12, but with a stronger whiff of juniper at the opening. Overall, it is just a stronger, longer lasting version of Halston 1-12 with some minor differences, like a little leather in the base. The dry down features more of this leather mixed with the woody scents. My preferred leathery fragrance is Oscar but this one is also nice.

I consider this to be a nice clean and crisp fragrance that is perfect for a cool winter day. I'm sure it was a lot better back in the day.

RobbieX

To add.....Simply one of the nicest fresh spicy men's scents ever! A great powerhouse!

Sadek
Sadek

RED is not for teens or trendy young guys. Also, it is not for sweet-scent lovers. RED is for mature men with strong presence. This perfume is not soft as such, yet it highlights the features of the gentleman in you if you have got them already.
Even if women do not say much when you pass them by, this scent is very helpful to make them notice your presence wildly.

Geordie Sam
Geordie Sam

Changed my mind DRASTICALLY on this one,after trying it a few more times I have decided that I REALLY do actually like this.
It has a warmth and richness to it that I always like in a frag,it just oozes class,give it 20 minutes after initial first application and you will experience something truly wonderful.
A great smelling mens fragrance,it needs cool/cold weather,good clothes and a sense of style.NO jeans.

lollotyp
lollotyp

With Giorgio Beverly Hills, try the vintage, they are 10 times better than the current ones ...

Critic
Critic

Overly harsh and contains lots of cumin, which I don't like.

marioslg3
marioslg3

Classic old type but not outdated scent, leathey with floral citrus backround. The price should be much more actually...a gret bargain for a great classic leather scent without being powdery or sweet at the end. Totally recommended.

krmarich
krmarich

Finally after years of searching for a vintage, I can give an honest review of GBH Red. I never had a bottle when it was released. I was able to find an original with a red and black baseball that I assume encouraged a sporty image. Clever marketing!

The bottle is identical to the EA re-launch which is quite deceiving. Most of the notes are synthetic, and a side by side comparison lets you identify the fraud. Talk about designer imposters!

This original bottle is the quintessential "All American" fougere. How did I come to this conclusion? Giorgio Beverly Hills was instantly recognized around the world by 1991. Status labeling. Red contains the one note that is truly American. The sequoia note that had never been used before Red for Men. This grabbed some attention in the media.

It opens like so many others that have came before. It was already behind with trend of lighter offerings of the 1990s. Men are creatures of habit and tend to stick to tradition. The aquatic trend was everywhere. Generally school kids wore the aquatic, driving up its sales. Wings would later enter the race.

A classic fougere almost always has a pine accord somewhere. Here its the stunning sequoia that holds a perfect herbal-floral bouquet with a warm leather accord that is ever so comfortable. Its complex (with real oakmoss, patchouli and vetiver among so many other notes!) and lasts all day. Indeed, Red for Men works best in cooler weather. Its stylish and sexy. Red was barely promoted and soon disappeared. If you can find a vintage, its the only way to experience this masterwork.

Red is vintage Hollywood glamour. Think Jimmy Stewart in Vertigo standing near the redwood forest. Its California dreaming at its best.

RobbieX

Spicy, long lasting, super masculine and lovely. Red is a great fragrance, and, as you can see at the bottom of this page, it's inexpensive.

missan

For the new formulation, I have no idea what this is meant to be. It went in all directions and all were bad.
Seems difficult to find an old one here in EU, I have tried.

markino
markino

I ve just got a bottle of this fragrance....... Yes as many describe it is a bomb!!!! A bomb that it gave me a headache As soon as i sprayed it on my wrist !!! I don t know how it was the original 80's formulation , but it s got nothing of the 80's for me. It just smell synthetic and cheap!!!

fazalcheema
fazalcheema

are there aliens on Fragrantica as well? who the hell would vote Red to be like Knize Ten or Cuiron..even Cuiron and Knize Ten are entirely different species, Red could not have been farther from these two

andy
andy

good macho spicy bomb with decent quality and great sillage
just gotto be wise on the trigger this stuff is strong

Labaloo
Labaloo

Found a vintage bottle- an easy way to tell is that "evernia prunastri (oakmoss) extract" is listed between "eugenol" and "geraniol" on the ingredient-list on the back of the box (on the newer re-formulation it doesn't appear)- so, try to ask the seller to look if there aren't decent photos available. But anyway- beautiful, beautiful powerhouse combining aromatic fougere and chypre-leaning oriental- with complex herbal and "dry" modifiers- as well as castoreum ("leather")! Quite elegant.

Sri Lankan cinnamon ought to be listed in the notes above; like the women's, the composition is centered upon this "red" note, and I can almost hear the brittle bark breaking to release its delicate aroma, and this note blends so well with the woodiness of the lower heart. There is also a judicious hint of calone present- not enough to ever say "aquatic", but it lends an austere "cool-fresh" counterpoint to the warm spices and amber which, here, I find so charming. Well worth seeking out if you collect powerhouses- and this was one of the most-complex and one of the very-last from this period in perfumery. .

Bbjr
Bbjr

Wow, picked up a bottle for $9 at tj Maxx today. This stuff is better than I remember from years ago. Starts out a little strong on the spice but the dry down is incredible. Great stuff. Classic masculine. Never out of style.

Happeniz
Happeniz

@Pedigree

Great stuff, to the point, not wasting any space. Wish we had more down to earth reviews like yours on here.

Knock off a few more please!

vonMises
vonMises

Vile. I tried. But this is just vile.

Bad. And it gets worse in the drydown.

Perigee
Perigee

Let me tell you about my Red collection...

I have the smallest little remainder of my original vintage bottle, that I misered through the dark years when the scent was out of production.

Then when they came out with the reformulation, I snapped up a new 3.4 bottle. And then hoarded away a second one - just in case they scotched it again.

Tonight, I found a feller who had a unused vintage 3.4 - I snapped that up. He mentioned he had a second one, and I grabbed that too.

Apart from the necessity of now labeling which ones are which, I have about 14 oz. of this stuff squirreled away. So, I guess you could say I like it.

Yes - it is "aggressive." It will radiate off you like nobody's business, seemingly forever: The vintage stuff requires some careful taming to wear in public, especially nowadays. And yes - at this point, with several hoidy-toidy bottles under my belt, I guess I can safely say this particular stench qualifies as "dimestore cologne." But if I had to trash either my Creed or my Red... The Red would stick around.

Why? Because, in the end, your signature scent isn't really something you can choose. It's something that fits you, a descriptor in scent. It's who you are - not who you want to be. I can smell grassy or citrus-y, or aqueus... but at best they become personas. But Red is me, with the gloves off.

So, maybe I'm just a dimestore cowboy.

isaacgames
isaacgames

Blind buy at TJs for ten bucks. Reminds me of Halston Catalyst and RL Safari. Get kind of a spicy hot jolly rancher from it.

I also pick up the 80's loudness people mention on here. Maybe a little dated.. I'll keep it, probably would wear for evening in late fall or early winter.. if going out in the middle of the week. Weekend nights probably have better candidates.

mynameischarlie
mynameischarlie

It's a dead-ringer for Francesco Smalto pour Homme...or vice versa. I have really old bottles of both that have sat in my fragrance rack for more than a decade. It's odd because I bought the Smalto in the 90's and never wore--today might be the first time I've sprayed it in over 10 years. Then it dawned on me that it smells almost EXACTLY like Giorgio Red. So I sprayed one on both wrists and as I write this it's hard to tell them apart. Except Red is just a little sweeter and stronger and Smalto is a little spicier. But the difference is so slight that you almost can't tell them apart--if I didn't remember which wrist I spayed which on, I would never know which was which. If you ever compare the notes of the two, you'll see why they're so close.

Anyhow, my review of Red itself...It's a great classic, under-rated, under appreciated powerhouse colonge from 1990. It smells soft, spicy, a little sweet, it's projection is AMAZING and so is it's longevity. It's dated but it smells good enough that I'll still wear it all these years later.

EauDeBaldy
EauDeBaldy

I remember this frag from way back. It was one of my first colognes.

If you have never tried it before, you probably won't like it.

It is a very sentimental type of fragrance ( like the original Drakkar Noir for example )

This thing is so strong and heavy, if you were to wear this around certain people, you might offend them lol.

I see some saying it's been reformulated, I hope so because the original was just that aggressive.

But, of course if you are into the heavy stuff, then give it a go...proceed with caution and apply delicately! =O

DENIULTRAS
DENIULTRAS

GEORGE GRANT AND FRED HAYMAN, 1961 FOUND Giorgio Beverly Hills, named George GRANT, GEORGE-GIORGIO, TO FRED HAYMAN 1962 purchased the entire (should we call it PROJECT) 1966 FRED GALE WOMAN, who was working in his boutique with 19 years.1979 decided that the project BAVERLY HILLS GIORGIO perfume get lines.1981 ejects first fragrance, exclusively for her boutique, but interests, their clientele becomes big, and they Shortly after moving in the serial production.1983 divorce from Fred Gale, who leaves his name, And launching own line of perfumes 1990.1987 Fred Hayman sells its brands, AVON HOUSE for $ 105 million, to house 1994 PROCTER & GAMBLE bought for 150$ Arden House & .2007 INC.Takes world right for the house BEVERLY HILLS PERFUME-RED, is a mixture of 551 ingredients, which are very complex, including 35 natural, through a new so called live technology, which was patented, perfume HOUSE GIVAUDAN.Fragrance is predominantly woody, WITH A NEW WOODEN note, called Sequoia, which only grows in the north would be extensive California.This co called, journalistic description of the house, and very little, and the perfume, I do not know, seems powerful, but somewhat soulless, in my interpretation, to work out, like this, just put it on your hand, seasoned, very, but not in today 'catch spice, but strongly flavored with patchouli, which gives the illusion of musky soul, which is not in the notes, but given that there are 551 ingredient, there is no chance of musk, artemisia, basil, cumin and hinterland kingdom and bergamot, directs him toward milder so called tea waters, so characteristic of the chypre perfumes 80-s.Carnation it reinforces the old school thing, it slightly reduces jasmine and geranium brings much-needed freshness to it rose again, returned to the old school sweetheart manner.Thyme it boosts the skin note that, together with amber and sandalwood, provides a powdery trace a line, a very intriguing to him cedar and oak moss, along with skin, back, still on track macho perfume, which he did, but not in a vulgar style, but more as a reminder that this is an amazing fragrant elixir so complex, sometimes brutal, and then powdery unreal and sharp green, woody, and so on, and rotates the spin, although it seems to be a bit linear, that he was not, a certain extent, some basic notes, which are more powerful than others, but that still allow the perfume goes into more directions.Top sillage, surreal aura, drydown, incredibly complex, makes this fragrance so unique, that I often toss in a pseudo class niche, it's his attitude, strong like a leopard, and occasionally subtle as a house cat, and then again as a cruel lion, it certainly deserved! smell of old times with the breath of the future, which slowly fades but never dies! !!

ezequiel91

Impredecible en su evolución, pero se comporta de diferentes maneras según el día. Hoy he estado en el río,y ALUCINÉ con la evolución de sus notas. Excelente obra, para no dejarla pasar a quienes disfrutamos este género de obras.! 8.5/10

ejade
ejade

I'm from that 80s era when we were all about "standing out" in every possible way. I remember all those wonderful and raunchy nights of hard partying until mid-morning next. The essential, in your face scents of that time were amazing...even today, i still enjoy many of them. However, i sought this out, with some effort i might add and found it. I've tried to recapture the love for it but sadly just can't tolerate it. It assuredly represents those vibrant scents of the time, but it is so, so, so in your nostrils. For HOURS. I have it on as I write this and it, with all honesty is searing my nostrils. It has many redeeming qualities, but if you have to wait 3+ hours to find it tolerable... why bother. With one whiff, this is an all-nighter, head-banging, shot-shooting, coke-snorting, dancing 'til your sweat-soaked, cloaked in reafer smoke night of partying all over again. The scents of that era had to stand up to the tasks of time... think Studio 54 and debaucherous after-parties... I'm way past all of that and have to say this gem of fragrance needs to stay back there as well. It's wonderful, it's definately "man-in-a-bottle", but just from an era best lived in memory!!! The leather and green mossiness of it is about the only thing I can say is really worth seeking out. The rest of it is like a terribly harsh anti-perspirant type body soap. I could see a man with a very manly job like an oil rig guy or lumberjack or deep sea fisherman that wrangles in a 500lb marlin over hours of time pulling this scent off... for the rest of us "office/indoor worker" types... this is just too butch. This is Paul Bunyon juice!!! lol!

Linden
Linden

Just like I remember it... Red opens strong bitter-herbal, with a touch of sweetness; the caraway, intensly vibrant carnation and jasmine blend very well. It transitions quickly, becoming dry and warm. The sharpness of strong geranium keeps it fresh as the subtle leather peeks through the woody base. A fantastic, bright aromatic soft-leather combo, and the current formulation really is very good.

MustangAnnie
MustangAnnie

A hidden gem for those who dare look beyond the packaging and the outdatedness of it. I used to wear Red for Men simply because it smelled THAT good. Red for Men smells like a man, a really elegant and ruggedly handsome man. Kind of citrusy but mostly musky and woody and leathery with just a hint of cigar smoke - OMG - delicious and sexy. Add to that, the soft flower notes and you got yourself a winner. A definite "panty dropper," Red has sex appeal written all over it and, on the right man, could melt women just by strolling past them. I have yet to find a bottle but as soon as I do, I will snatch it up, and not for my husband but for me. If it smells this good on a man, imagine what a woman could do while wearing this.

fuggerone
fuggerone

smell of the Eighties, huge hardness, heavy stuff!
makes me feel compulsively sexy!
Caraway and spices..then spicy leather with a light barnyard not, the reformulation was well down, a bit lighter and less rich than original formula, all in all both versions are great!

word-doctor
word-doctor

INITIAL REVIEW: I am relatively new to the frag game, and the reviews and price seemed tailor made for me. So I found a bottle for ten bucks at TJMX and gave it a try.

First, it smells good, reminding me quite a bit of Quorum, which is a good thing. A little bit more leather, also a good thing. First wearing is a bit of a disappointment; bottle squirts heavily and scent seems weak. Because I try for equanimity I won't "Dislike" yet.

EDIT: After trying this out over a couple of months, I have to say I'm hooked. Initially it doesn't do much for me, scentwise. But the midnotes are good (scent and sillage), and though it dries down very close to the skin it does retain a soothing leather aroma. I use this one "off label" for pillows--it's really that good, at least for faking high-end furniture.This is a good, conservative frag, if not a sexy one.

Sillage: 8/10

LANIER
LANIER

When I came across Red for Men by Girogio of Beverly Hills the other day I thought the bottle was beautiful but oh lord. Who would be caught dead wearing something so campy and probably overtly and down right tacky today? Back in the 80’s sure! Big shoulders, Bigger Hair and BIG SMELLS!! But then I began to read what other reviewers were saying. I narrowed my eyes to slits of doubt and read on. Then I checked out how much a blind buy would put me back. Next to nothing as it turned out. Oh well what the hell it might be fun.

Red is a really wonderful surprise. Not loud, not pushy, not stinky. But rather a really lovely leather class fragrance that arrested my senses and delighted me and all who came close enough to get a whiff! It wasn’t “Dynasty”, or “Hotel” or “Knott’s Landing” in a bottle. It was rather elegant and refined.

It opens with artemisia, basil, bergamot and caraway that some how convey the smell of redwood bark in a wet temperate Northern California rainforest. It is so far away from Beverly Hills that you might as well be on another planet. The heart of the fragrance is carnation, jasmine, geranium, juniper berries, rose and thyme and this combination is soft and embracing but is soon met with the rising notes of the dry down. A smooth polished leather like polo boots warming in the sun at the old Will Rogers polo fields where Sunset Drive meets the sea. The cedar, patchouli Oakmoss and Amber warm the leather even further an mix in the feeling of late afternoon in the wooded hills around the old polo grounds. That wonderful smell you get on hot afternoons in southern California when the heat carries the smell of the semi-tropical plants what grow there.

It wears so well and projects just right. The silage is noticeable and garners some comments, always on the positive side. So I leaned a lesion from my trip to Giorgio. Even when you go slumming in Beverly Hills don’t be a snob, take a chance once in a while and try something you never dreamed you would like. You might find that Beverly Hills in a certain light looks a little like Paris!

FOUR GOLD STARS ****

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Why didn't anyone tell me this was so good?

This fragrance is smokey, sweet, and bitter without feeling so heavy and busy to render it unwearable in warm weather. It has an incredibly aromatic opening and a bitter green chypre base. Is this an aromatic fougere? A Chypre? A woody aromatic fragrance? A leather? I have no idea, but this is an incredibly great bargain for the cash.

diego.lesgart
diego.lesgart

Picante y fresco por sus especias... fuera de lo comun...

MrMookie
MrMookie

Not as strong as his yellow brother Giorgio for men. (as i suspected it to be heavier)
I smell the same animalic tone as used in YSL jazz.
Suspected this to be a very harsh, strong and spicy scent .. but i was wrong! its much more sophisticated as i thought, and thats positive! Ok its opening is very intense but in a good way.
I guess women especially women around mid 30's and 40's will digg this..
If you like powerhouse frags just add this one to you collection you wont get dissapointed.
Good for evenings and in autumns & winters and gets you noticed for sure.

Not for the youngsters though..
I see Magnum P.I. wearing this with humour ...
A scent for mustached men with hairy chests who like to go outdoor and do some lumberjacking (stereotypical but ok... ;-)

Bobster
Bobster

I got two compliments from two separate people when I wore this the other day. One says to me,man you smell good what you got on? That smells manly and smells awesome. The other says,what is that smell? Me:what does it smell like? Smells like musk and cologne.....hahaha... so its 50/50 chance with this one. I personally like it but I returned it to the store because I have others in my collection that somewhat smell the same but I have to give it to EA fragrances for reintroducing a classic because it does have great sillage and has great longevity. It reminds me of a cross between perferred stock and Ambre by Baldessarini. If you don't have others in your collection of this nature and see this one on the shelf don't be afraid to try it out.

Update : I saw this in tj maxx today and I could not help myself. Even though it does smell like others in my collection it does have collective qualities of its own....love this stuff

pob75
pob75

This is eye-wateringly powerful when you first put it on. Very strong with huge sillage. Much more complex than is obvious at first.

Smells like I would expect of a grunting, old school fragrance, but a sophisticated, masculine, sensual, outdoors type fragrance that is lovely once it settles down. Nicely balanced. Not crude or over the top.

Has a persistent animalic tone and is a very manly smell. The dry down is very good - prettier and sweeter but never feminine because of the strong animalic undertone.

Projects well for 7+ hours, but especially strongly in the first 3 hours or so. Longevity on me is better than average - still going strong at 8-9 hours. It's still clear on skin with some projection for 12 hours and doesn't fade away for 14+ hours.

Couldn't wear it every day.
Not one for hot weather.
Avoid if you don't like animalic tones.

Overall I like it a lot. Potent, manly, animalic but well balanced and sophisticated.

Migalex
Migalex

This perfume is extremely similar to two classical female perfumes: Rochas femme and Guerlain Mitsouko, in part due to the coumin (here caraway, which is persian coumin) and the patchouli. Very very similar to femme. I do like it, find the smell really stylish, good for night or day although better for the evening, really feel happy when I wear it. It is strong and has good sillage, but Giorgio EdT has much better staying power.

jtappenden
jtappenden

Fresh,spicy & adventurous.A masculine & manly fragrance.Bracing & invigorating.Great undertones of sensuality.

alaaddin777
alaaddin777

İT SMELLS LIKE GUERLAIN HERİTAGE EDP.
if you use carefull, it is very very nice scent.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Having never tried the original Red, I can't compare it to this newest formulation. This version is very nice and well-blended. It's a tough one to classify, though! It's definitely not a leather scent. I've read that it's a hybrid aromatic fougere and woody oriental, but to my nose it's simply a spicy aromatic fougere, albeit a mild one. This lacks whatever legs the original may have had, but that's a good thing. I like my fougeres to be wearable, thank you. The opening is odd, very pungent and sweet, full of cardamom, a distinct hit of artemisia, clove, and a strange minty note that darts and weaves through the composition like sturgeons evading a net. Not sure what the mint is about, but I like it. Eventually everything settles into a vibrant hum of juniper, patchouli, oakmoss, thyme, and amber, with vague touches of lavender and carnation lending greenness to the red. Very pleasant, very masculine, obviously designed to fit the Clintonian, jazzy-cool cigarette-smoking period of the early '90s. Those days are gone; thank goodness Red for Men is still with us.

purplesun
purplesun

Not a bad fragrance at all. I think it just needs a direction, considering the number of ingredients that went into making Red.

Luforge
Luforge

SWEET and SPICY! and i think we all agree on here that it is a wonderfull scent.More suited for evening wear. I just love this one.. So does the girls..
Longevity-8/10
Sillage-8/10

Ad nauseam

I just got an almost full, vintage 3.4 oz bottle of Red this weekend. A friend of mine had a bottle he purchased back around 1993-94 up on a shelf in his walk-in-closet. He said he never wore it much. I almost couldn't believe my eyes.

The bottle is identical to my newer Elizabeth Arden Fragrance Company relaunch, but the bottom of the bottle reads: "Giorgio Beverly Hills Dist, Beverly Hills, CA 90210, London W1Y 1LB, Made in USA".

I had been curious since I bought my new bottle of Red how similar the two were or not as my previous review mentions. Thus I put one spritz of the EA relaunch on one wrist and one spritz of the vintage GBH's on the other.

In a side by side testing, they are essentially the same. Consider the vintage bottle is around 17 years old, but I think it has held up. Also consider, EA Fragrance Company trying to cut costs in the relaunch, but I don't think they did. The two bottles smelled the same through the whole wearing, they even faded at the same time(around 12 hours on my skin).

As a result I will never use the terms "old" or "new" Red ever again. There is only ONE Giorgio Beverly Hills Red for Men, and I'm thankfull for that. Hats off to Elizabeth Arden Fragrance Company! If you come across this one you should definitely try it, or better yet, seek it out.

Castor
Castor

I classify this one as one among the spice bombs: Givenchy's Xeryus, Bogart's One Man Show, Jaguar, Jacomo de Jacomo, R&G's Open, which, if you check out the dates they've been launched, most of them date from the 1980's (Jacomo and One Man Show date from the previous decade). This makes me think if spices was a note favoured in aromachemicals used at that time. One way or another, Red's spiciness mellows down into mid and base notes reminiscent of Montana Parfum D´Homme, commonly known as the red one. Of course, they both share the leather in the base notes, but the starting notes differ markedly.

In this term, Red's character is sort of baffling for it feels like a classic aromatic fougere rather than a leather scent. Take Knize 10, VC&A or Aramis, undoubtedly leather scents. In this case, the artemisa and the caraway are good reasons why it might be thought of as an aromatic, but the leather shows up in the base notes, thus making it a sort of a leather fougere. A fougere has lavender and oakmoss, but in this case, the prevalence of the oakmoss has been taken over by the leather accords. It might be an aromatic leather too, for the presence of aromatic notes is quite notorious, but the oakmoss' notes are not that easily detectable to my nose.

This is not an easy fragrance, maybe right for those that have worn it back when it was released but not for the ones into modern styles - in these terms, it is at odds with respect to acquatics (Aqua Di Gio, Cool Water) and gourmand fragrances (Hypnose, Lolita Lempicka, A*Men). However, in my case, I find it FBW as well as darned wearable.

safetyjon
safetyjon

The opening of Red is strong. It has the opening sweetness of Escada with the spiciness of Drakkar Noir, but stronger than both. Not a bad opening, but a little too overwhelming initially (and I love 80's powerhouses). After about 1-2 hours, the fragrance enters a more enjoyable phase. The base notes will remind you of its exceptional brother, Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men. The drydown of patchouli, oakmoss and leather is smooth, but doesn't come close to the heavenly dry-down of its older brother. Longevity is not bad (6-8 hours), which is considerably less than Giorgio for Men.

It's OK...I don't find myself reaching for it very much. When I'm in the mood for this type of fragrance, I normally reach for Giorgio or for Escada.

Ad nauseam

A long lost signature scent is back. I recently found a box of Red in a perfume chain store in a local outlet mall. I was surprised to see it on the shelf. No tester available, but I bought it anyway with hopes it would be the same as I remembered it; dark,rich and sweet. When I wore it in the early 90's(it was a new fragrance then) I thought it smelled like Red Hots candy mixed with the liquor Goldschlager. I wore it day and night in the cooler months and received many compliments from the ladies. I was excited to find it again after so many years.

In my opinion, the scent is just like I remember it. Dark, rich, and sweet. Not sugary sweet. More like cigar sweet. Maybe now that I'm more mature I simply appreciate scents more, but I think it's better than I remember. I can't say it's the same or if it's different in some way. I can say this. It's sublime. Now it's not just dark, but dark and brooding. Not just rich, but rich and musky. Not just sweet, but sweet and sensual. It has attitude.

The beginning for me is very rich and floral, but the basil keeps it from being too flowery. I really enjoy the carnation. As it settles down, I get a very nice spicy, WARM carnation paired with a toned down cedar which I guess is the juniper berry. (If the notes were not listed above, I would think it was cinnamon and pepper.) These notes are prolonged by the patchouli and cedar in the base notes, and it becomes deeper and more complex. On the coldest day this would warm me up. In the end it takes on a more earthy undertone, and a well worn leather is definitely in the mix.

From my experience the only fragrance similar is Francesco Smalto Pour Homme. The dry-down on these two are very similar, however the Smalto lacks the warm sensuality of Red.

From beginning to end, no single note ever stands out. It's always a fine blend with each note complementing the others. Always rich. Always warm. Never feminine. Every note essential and in the right place. Welcome back old friend!

xerces1492
xerces1492

sorry, excuse that last review. Actually i was sifting through some old photos of my grandparents and I noticed that my grandmother DID in fact wear the female counterpart of this scent at one time. haha my bad. But I still wouldn't wear it.

RobbieX

Red is so good. Starts spicy and potent. This is a fabulous men's spicy/leather/patchoulli/soapy fragrance with excellent longevity and a fresh spicy sillage. I love this one. Don't be put off when first trying it - this gets really lovely. One of the most masculine of powerhouses out there! It's retro but it's gorgeous and now in my top 10.

guest_drwonder
guest_drwonder

This may be one of the top 2 or 3 "domestic" fragrances out there, and in the Top Ten of all fragrances, niche or otherwise. It's a spicy-woody oriental.

Having said that, some qualifications. First, be a little patient with this stuff. When I first applied it, I thought, "Old manish." Then it changed, and what settles into is something even teenagers love.

The top notes are spicy, with a hint of citrus. They burn off quickly. The middle notes, which also burn off quickly, are basically floral, yet they work for a man's cologne. Then, you're left with the treat -- smooth amber, cedar, oakmoss, patchouli, and only a small hint of leather. The basenotes combo is AMAZING.

Hey, this stuff gets positives everywhere I go. Everything just sort of mixes together, and the longevity is a good eight hours or so (more than some niche frags).

Bottom line: This is THE STUFF! Try it, and you'll love it, as will those around you!

Okay, I obtained a partial bottle of the original and sprayed it on. Here is my latest review for both versions (above the line):

I think one of the "problems" some aficionados have when trying to grasp Red is that it doesn't fit easily into any established category. Lavender is clearly present, but it's not a typical fougere (lavender isn't listed on any note pyramid for it that I've seen, for some reason). There's also a minty quality that's not listed. And there is spice, amber, and sweetness, but it's not an oriental. There is a "sweaty"/"dirty," Yatagan-like quality. There is also a mossy chypre quality. And there is also a strong wood note, supposedly sequoia (which may be what gives this an interesting dry quality, though the dryness is more of a facet than something that dominates it all the time), but it's not as much a focus to this fragrances as is the case for one like Green Jeans. There's even a subtle floral element. Instead, it has excellent balance among the many notes (all of which I enjoy, as long as they are not really strong). To me, this is not just acceptable (if done well), but should be viewed as the height of modern, "designer" perfumery. The dynamism here is fabulous, the note contrast (as well as note separation) is incredible, and there is no "synthetic"' quality. And while it is "deep" and rich, it's also "uplifting," related to the mint aspect, presumably, but possibly to the juniper, wormwood, and basil notes as well. It may not be as natural smelling as the best niche (and a few great designer ones), but it's good enough for me (I just don't wear it after wearing one of those really natural smelling ones).

The new version of Red is quite different, and of little interest to the aficionado, IMO. Instead of excellent balance, it goes into a particular direction ("dark"/"heavy" lavender with a synthetic smelling wood note in the background), starting out with a weird mint type of note. almost like a cleaning product. It's sort of like Montana Parfum d'Homme or Havana, but missing a few of the signature elements (no soapy pine or strong spice, for example, as one finds in the Montana). It's not bad at all; think of it as being on a level with the best Samba fragrances. And since that is roughly where it is priced right now, I can't say it is too expensive for what it is. However, if you wear it and think that the original Red was nothing special (without giving it a fair shake), you are deluding yourself or your sense of smell is not developed to a point where you should concern yourself with such things (instead, I'd advise studying fragrances by doing a lot of sampling). The reformulation wasn't bad, especially compared to what was done to fragrances like Lagerfeld Cologne (which became "Classic"), but I'd say it's like comparing Babe Ruth to Chris Chambliss (and Chambliss was one of my favorite Yankees when I was a kid) as players. Now if you are seeking "purity" or simplicity in a fragrance, neither version is for you. The original Red is the opposite of the J.C. Elena type "transparent" fragrance, and as you might have guessed, one of my favorites. However, the original had 551 ingredients with 35 being naturals; do you really think the "cheapo" reformulation is anywhere near that?
______________________

Old Review: I sampled Red one night, about an hour before I eventually fell asleep. It seemed rather close to Devin at first, a sweet leather with the other notes in the background (wood was clearly present), and little if any floral element. Right before I fell asleep, I noticed the wood get stronger, and it seemed to be getting drier. I awoke about 4 hours later, and at that point it was mostly a dry wood scent, somewhere between cedar and pine. The sweet leather was now in the background. At it's current price at discount stores and sites, this is certainly worth considering, especially if you don't have Devin, Green Jeans, or Montana Parfum d'Homme. Red covers all those bases (minus the soapy lavender of the Montana), but at the price of identity. You start with a sweet leather and then the Sequoia note (I think that's what it's supposed to be) becomes dominant; it's almost like two frags in one, if that's what you want. The base seemed to have a bit of a "screechy," "synthetic" quality, so if you are a stickler for "naturalness," you should definitely sample first.

Old Update: I sampled it yet again, thinking it was the new Red, then ordered a bottle, only to find out that my sample must be the old Red. The two are very different. The old one starts out with a syrupy/sweet, "dirty" herbal quality, similar to Polo Crest, but not as "natural" smelling, then an hour or so later the redwood sequoia starts to emerge and gets stronger and stronger. The new Red doesn't have much in the way of top notes. There was a little bit of a minty quality with some lavender, but not much else. Then a woody geranium fragrance started to emerge, and at some point I realized it was very similar to the Montana Parfum d'Homme/Havana drydown, but not as complex or natural smelling (though it's quite good if you think of it as a "cheapo").

Several hours later, there is a "chemical" wood smell, but it's not horrible if you don't smell it up close on the skin. It's not bad, especially if that's what you want, but it's not a fragrance I would ever confuse with the original Red. Basically, the new Red is like one of those well-done, really cheap Samba fragrances. I've seen the new ones selling so cheaply that you can't really criticize it, as it is a decent attempt at an "old school" masculine, apparently done with relatively inexpensive ingredients.

missan

Haven´t smelled the old Red, I don´t know how close this new reformulation is. It is to my nose very nice though, much more fresh than I thought, nice flowery heart, good wood. Not so much leather, more woody aromatic. I like it, very natural.

PieRat
PieRat

This was a very pleasant find!!! I cannot believe this was actually discontinued for awhile. I am going to pick up the remaining bottles at the place I found this just in case of a repeat of history.

Not much to add in describing this fragrance that others here have not already said. The longevity is excellent on my skin, and the way it dries down on my skin is unreal wow!

BIG
BIG

i smell the intense patchouli base covered with flower notes (carnation standing out for me the most). To my nose, it's not a leather fragrance at all, more like aromatic fougere.

Tuvok
Tuvok

Encouraged by reviews of the other users i started to search for it. Neither Spehora nor Douglas have it in stock. Dissapointed I went to an outlet store to find some big label shirt for a low price, and then I found Red in the section with the perfumes for 50 pln (15$) I think it's a classy perfume, for special occasion. First impression was that it's rather suited for my 50 year old dad, but after 15 minutes I realised that it smells great on me too. Lasts 6 hours on me, but I tested it when it was 35 deegrees Celcius outside so I think it will last longer during lower temperatures. Young folks, don't e affraid to use it, because in my oppinion no one will tell you, 'you smell like a grandpa' and don't use it during hot days, it is suited for warm evening or a colder day IMO. Cheers :)

hellel
hellel

Well, here in Greece, specially in the province, we didnt have so many references in perfumes before 70's and local market was limited to lemon splashes like "Mirto" and other horrible nose annoyings like "Old Spice". In the early 80's the introduction of major brands like Ysl, Casarel, Azzaro, Chanel etc starts to create a group of consumers which are really interested not only to make sense with their visible appearance but with other senses, too.. So when "Red" came..it was madness.So rich and sensous.Magnificent. I knew people who ordered it direct from US, paynig a lot of money (imaging the salary in 89 was 45.000 Drs and "Red" costed about 5.000 Drs, let alone tax and shipping expenses). Old times, scents of the past..fade but never died..

aFineNose
aFineNose

Sex in a bottle without getting vulgar. For men who don't mind to flaunt it. For more special occasions, if anything else people around you will get fed up when you use it daily.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This is a very nice scent! I bought a sample for my husband. It is what I want to smell coming from a man. Its a tinge like the woman's Red but this is much more paired down and simplified. This is a rich and elegant but in a manly way. This to me is way better the woman's version. Nice dark rich scent.

instantjim
instantjim

I have wanted to try this for a while, but the only store around that has this had no bottles designated as testers (which is ironic because the bottles they have for sale are testers). I had to return a faulty bottle of another fragrance for credit and it just so happened to cost exactly the same price, so after a quid pro quo swap I left the store. As usual I couldn’t wait to get home to try it so I put some on in my car before I turned on the engine.

Immediately I was struck with how unusual this is, but in a good way. Red is an appropriate name and colour for this fragrance, it is really ‘hot’. At first the notes were almost disconcerting: there were the rich culinary herbs and the sweetness of citrus but also there was a sweet pungent note, which was familiar, but which I could not quite identify.

When I get a new fragrance I often see if I can list the notes before checking the listing on Fragrantica, to see how close I can get. The unidentified note was similar in some way to the sweet smell of mastic resin I have used in oil painting, but it wasn’t exactly the same. I knew I had recently smelled this note, or at least something very much like it. So I checked Fragrantica. The note was artemisia (wormwood). Aha…

I had a lot of very direct experience with this note. About two weeks ago my wife sent me an SMS at work alarmed because she had seen a dugite (very poisonous Australian snake) crawl across the path to our door and disappear behind our overgrown wormwood plant. When I got home, it was my job to cut the plant back so that we could easily see underneath it. It was hot work. To be extra careful that I did not get bitten by the snake, I used a long handled spade to chop at the bush, that way my hands could stay a long way from it. That is not a very easy way to cut a plant back and so the smell of crushed powdery Wormwood leaves filled the air. My hay fever played up really bad that night! Never saw the snake.

In this fragrance the sweet pungency of the artemisia is modified by the basil. By itself the Artemisia is really aromatic, but in a way good only for keeping moths away. The other herbs add dimension to the herbaceous aspect of the artemisia and the bergamot adds dimension to the sweet aspect. The multi-noted floral middle adds yet another layer of complexity and underpins the initial herbaceous blast. The herbal notes continue to last through the middle of this fragrance’s life. After about two hours it is still potent, though softer as the floral notes take the edge off the waning herbs. None of the base notes particularly stand out, they are a mixed bag, but are predominantly woody (I would call this a woody aromatic fragrance).

This lasts over four hours on me. It is no simple fragrance: the floral and herbal notes as well as the woody/mossy base notes mean that this smells very natural and rather than fading very quickly it retains its character through out its evolution. This is a truly wonderful, unmistakably masculine fragrance.

junior halston
junior halston

This fragrance is a blend of 551 ingredients which is very complex for a men's fragrance it, including 35 natural through the new "living techology" that was being used by the perfume house of Givaudan at that time. The scent is a woody fougere that harnessed a new note, called Sequoia -- after the giant Redwood trees in northern California --

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills 4.14 out of 5 based on 195 ratings and 61 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Giorgio Beverly Hills Red for Men fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Giorgio Beverly Hills Red for Men, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.