Designers » F-H » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Provence Spring Girard for women
dislike

yellow floral
Provence Spring Girard for women Pictures

Provence Spring opens with notes of lemon and ylang-ylang, followed by the heart of white and pink rose, jasmine and clove and the base of sandalwood, vetiver, musk and vanilla.

It is available as 30, 50 and 100 ml EDT. The nose behind this fragrance is Beverley Bayne.

Amalfi Lemon Ylang-Ylang

tincture of rose Jasmine Clove

Sandalwood vetyver Musk Vanille

Island

Provence Spring Fragrance Reviews

celebrity89
celebrity89

Sharp, generic floral. Like ET Diamonds and Sapphires.

sally.west1
sally.west1

Never tried any of the cheap and cheerful Girond fragrances before but this one was a ridiculously cheap price at my local supermarket so I gave it a go as I love trying any new fragrance. Wow! A really lovely bottle and a soft, fresh, spring-like scent that lifts your mood immediately. Doesn't last that long on me but its so cheap I spritz it without fear! Wish I had a bigger bottle!

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

How can this be possible? A lovely fresh floral for day wear for less than 4GBP? Once upon a time I would have turned my nose up at this based on the price alone, but I've learned a lot about perfume since then and this one amazed me.

It's fresh, floral and light, with a hint of aquatic that I don't usually like, but seems to fit in here amongst the petals and the freshness.

The bottle and the box it comes in are both expensive looking, but for this price, I am buying loads as Christmas presents. As long as people don't look it up online, they will think I've spent a fortune!

Although this isn't a unique head turner, if you smelt someone wearing it, you would think it was more like 30GBP a bottle and not a tenth of that price.

I would also like to add that more times than I can count, I have been disappointed by a cheap basenote vanilla smell in inexpensive scents. it's like Pound store scented candles. However, I am pleased to report that this fragrance has none of that and is still delightfully floral and fresh when it has settled.

A total success all round. Wear your Provence Spring with pride, ladies.

Kittycat63

I don't agree with Saguna that Provence Spring isn't a special perfume and is not a WOW one either. Actually, I think it IS a special perfume, and certainly given how cheap it is! Not only does it smell great, fresh, springlike and it has amazing staying power (it lasts on my skin for 24+ hours until I wash it off and doesn't fade like many far more expensive, overpriced, designer perfumes!) but the bottle is absolutely gorgeous, yet I can get a 50ml (1.7oz) bottle of it for about £3.00 (approx $5.000) which is almost bizarrely cheap for such a lovely perfume! If this was packaged as a Dior, Yves Saint Laurent perfume, etc, I'm sure many more people would rave about it and sing its praises, but some people can't get beyond certain things being reasonably priced, not having a flashy label, etc, and are, to be blunt, far too snobby for their own good! Luckily, for the women who are independent, down to earth and couldn't give a damn about trying to impress other people a little gem like this is worth its weight in gold (or pennies, as the case may be given that this lovely perfume costs next to nothing!).

I can't recommend this perfume enough - it's LOVELY!

saguna

I had to come back to add one thing more. I was wondering why this perfume feels so familiar. And now I know. It's almost exactly the same as Carolina Herrera Chic! Obviously my nose is just amateur and maybe I am being ignorant, but for me these are two the same fragrances.

saguna

The fragrance is nothing special, however it has longer sillage than some more expensive perfumes. it's just floral, pleasant fragrance, without any WOW, but I have some days when I don't want to shout around with any loud fragrances so I use it from time to time.
The bottle is lovely and I like to look at it.

jujy54
jujy54

Despite having few notes in common, this reminds me of Guerlain Champs-Elysées at first sniff. Later I get an almost buttery note, though this is fleeting. Very pleasant for early spring.

I.I
I.I

I like it very much, it's very pleasant. Smells like spring garden, joyful fragrance.
You get A LOT, A LOT more than you pay for. There are much more expensive perfumes that are of A LOT worse quality. Of course everyone has his own personal taste and preferences but even if one doesn't like it, I find it really difficult to dislike this perfume.
It's a perfect gift.
I've bought it once for a gift, I've kept it for my daughter who loves it very much and now I'm buying it again as a gift to a friend of mine.
The bottle is very nice. No one will ever suspect that this perfume costs so low.

cloibne
cloibne

Migotka's review has lots of balloons for a reason- it describes the actual smell and the experience both very well.

This has become one of my go-to and pick-me-upper fragrances.

I love fresh but mixed smells, as I have stated in my other reviews, and as is so well described in Migotka's review of Provence,here.

I think this would make a great bride's maids' gift and if you find scented drawer liners, get them!

If you like Chanel No22 you'll like Provence Spring.
If you like Usher's Ur or Mariah Carey's Luscious Pink, this perfume is a lighter version of those muskier scents.
Provence Spring even reminds me of a grown up lemony version of Ici.
It's fresh and flowery with just a slight hint of spice, warm subtle hint of musk on dry-down,like going to sleep after a good-night cuddle from Mommy :)

I will personally add about my chemistry: I wear perfume lightly spritzed on my clothing.I wear perfume on cool breazy/crisp days.My body temperature runs hot.
I barely smell what could be called 'vanilla', but not really at all. I mostly smell dry grasses blooming with jasmine and ylanylang,a lemony bite the first 20 minutes or more then it stays the same floral but gets a milkier smell and finally warms into a musk and then at the end I smell the spicy/dry rose on my skin.When I wake up the next morning, I smell dried rose and jasmine.

This is great for freshening up in the cool outdoors after being stuck inside for days when the air is starting to get stale and the outdoors are getting brownbrownbrown.
Wear it on a hay ride or leaf peeping, or a warmer day's Autumn picnic.
Don't try to compete with real Spring artificially;Provence Spring is a lovely reminder but could get too strongly powdery in warmer weather and amongst other scents as it does on my body.

Soap to pair with it?I wouldn't add other smells to this complex story scent .
I'd say : something very fresh and unscented, actually, like a Tom's of Maine or Arm and Hammer...maybe an all natural milk soap would be a more powdery/mothery undertone for it.I don't particularly like that powdery smell and there is already a little of a milk smell with Provence on my skin.I tried it with cucumber but on my skin it brought out the chemicals in the perfume.Try cucumber for yourselves though, it's a nice fresh,brightening possibility without adding another smell, if your chemistry/soap are right (as always, use all natural undyed un'scent'ed).

OctoberTH
OctoberTH

@Olga1780 Really?I bought mine at marshalls w/o even knowing how it smelled/looked,I just bought it because the box was cute; when I came home and opened it up I saw how cute the bottle was and it smelled even better than it looked!Last long too! I put it on when I went to bed and woke up still smelling it ( I took a long nap since I missed out on sleep during school days.(It last from 11pm-3 in the afternoon) that's pretty long lasting to me! I'm hoping the bottle olga1780 was just a knockoff if the scent didn't last long. for $5.99 USD I think that's a steal! I wish they had more. I will go back to look for more. if not I will buy it on amazon!

Kittycat63

Olga1780 - Of course, everyone's entitled to give their opinion of a perfume. That's what writing reviews is all about. However, you said "..... I would strongly advice anyone against wasting your money on it ..." which is a bit different to just giving your opinion as to whether you like this perfume or not! To tell people they shouldn't waste their money on a perfume just because it doesn't appeal to you, or doesn't work with your skin / chemistry, is going a bit too far. I personally would never tell anyone they shouldn't buy a particular perfume. I can give my opinion about it in a review, of course, but it's totally down to each person to make their own mind up as to whether to buy something or not! As I said in my previous comment, a perfume may totally suit some people, and work really well with their skin and chemistry, but might be a disaster on other people. It's all down to individuality! As I also previously said, Provence Spring works really well on me and smells great, lasts for hours and hours on my skin, has a very pretty bottle and the price is amazing (in England anyway!) so it definitely does suit some people very well and, in my opinion, is totally recommendable!

Kittycat63

Sorry but I totally disagree with the review directly below this! Provence Spring is a really lovely, fresh, springlike, invigorating perfume which lasts for ages on my skin (which is on the dry side at times), for at least 6 hours but often much longer than that. I wore it the other day and it lasted all the way through from early morning to well into the evening! Any perfume, whether expensive or cheap, will react differently to a person's individual chemistry and skin type. I've had, and have tested, expensive perfumes that pretty much evaporate after a very short time, yet some cheap perfumes last all day and night, so the cost of a perfume isn't an indicator of its staying power! Also, just because a perfume may not work well on one person doesn't mean that everyone else should avoid that perfume altogether!! Clearly, Provence Spring didn't work on olga1780 - or perhaps she had a subconscious aversion to it from the outset because it doesn't cost a lot of money (in England anyway, and presumably in some other European countries)- but that doesn't mean it doesn't smell great on other people, which is very clear from some of the very positive reviews for this perfume!

As far as the price of Provence Spring is concerned (and it's cheap in the UK) - I see that on Fragrance Net a 1oz bottle is sold for almost $50.00 which is not cheap at all! In fact, that's virtually the same price as Michael Kors Island perfume on the same website, and one reviewer on here has said that Island smells almost identical to Provence Spring! So, luckily for us Brits we can get Provence Spring for a much better deal (i.e. £3.99 for a 2.7oz bottle, which is not even $6.50 at today's exchange rate!).

In my opinion, Provence Spring smells expensive and classy, it lasts for ages, comes in a very pretty bottle and in some places costs very little - so, what more could anybody ask for ?!?! ;o)

olga1780
olga1780

I tested it today at Marshalls, and I gave it a few generous sprays. Well, my personal opinion is this eau de toilette should be put in its original source: toilette. There is a vague scent of a generic floral shower gel, but as soon as it dries on the skin, it's completely gone. I would strongly advice anyone against wasting your money on it, especially blindly, regardless whether you have 2 or 200 perfumes in your collection. even as cheap as it comes ( $ 5.99 for 30 ml), there is no value for the money spent on it.

But that's just my personal opinion. If you are confused by the controversial reviews, checking out the reviewer's perfume wardrobe might help. If you see a lot of fragrances that you al so like, chances are you would be of the same opinion.

Cutie
Cutie

I like it. It is fresh, green, everyday smell for spring (may be summer). A little bit generic, but nice. Lasts about 4 hours on me, the sillage is average. Pleasant perfume. The bottle is cute, very colorful but not childish. Great bargain! :)

Kittycat63

Sharyssa - you should definitely get it. It's such a nice perfume and at such a ridiculously low price! I doubt very much you'll dislike it. The bottle is beautiful, by the way, and worth the money for that alone!

sharyssa
sharyssa

I just seen a 1oz bottle at tjmaxx for $5.99 I had no clue wha the bottle looked like but now that I see it's pretty and has good reviews I am going to buy 2 of them tommarrow!!

Kittycat63

In response to FunkyTomo - I'm a Brit and I love this perfume! It's so lovely, fresh and summery that I can't imagine anybody would dislike it! You're right about it being sold very reasonably in the UK at the moment. Provence Spring is so lovely that it could have a much higher price tag than it does. It smells much better than many much more expensive perfumes and the bottle's absolutely lovely too. Also, Girard is apparently a British perfume maker (not French, as I initially thought from the name!), so it's nice to know we Brits can produce some really lovely perfumes!!

New@thisperfumething
New@thisperfumething

I get lots of lemon and rose with a bit of sweetness. I like Girard's Bali Sunrise better, but I will purchase again If I run out. After trying this and Bali I think I will collect the others. They are great purse scents for sure.

Ecmaddox
Ecmaddox

I absolutely love this! It smells so fresh and clean and it lasts a really long time. I especially love the dry down.. Smells delicious!

What a lovely perfume!

Provence Spring is light, fresh, airy and just really, really nice! It's also invigorating and almost aromatherapeutic. I can definitely detect the lemon but I think the vanilla, musk and sandalwood give it warmth and sweetness. Although it's probably more suitable for spring and summer, I really think it's any anytime, anywhere kind of scent and it would be nice to wear this in the winter sometimes to be vividly reminded of warm, sunny summer days. It's a real feel good scent.

I give this a very big thumbs up, not only for the perfume itself but also for the bottle which is lovely as well!

My darling
My darling

It's so floral! The scent is absolutely identical with Island by Michael Kors. For me it is marine floral scent.

Migotka
Migotka

There are fragrances out there that make you think of a painting. Or are a painting themselves.
For me Provence Spring's first phase is Monet's Haystack series. This is what I imagine Monet was breathing in, sitting on the field morning, afternoon and evening, painting those beautiful haystacks.

Provence Spring is very fresh, but at the same time, paradoxically, it is reminiscent of harvesting, it contains the two opposites: the freshly mowed grass and a field full of blooming flowers and hay piled up on the fields, ready to be collected. For me it is also strangely connected to the past; every time I smell it I can see a XIX or early XX century rural community... Funny what kind of imagery a fragrance can trigger.

Finally, musk, jasmine and vanilla add a sort of elegant touch to it. The final phase is not so refreshing, but somewhat powdery. This would be a nice fragrance for a colder, spring or summer evening, when we looks for something fresh but cozy.

Provence Spring by Girard 3.78 out of 5 based on 66 ratings and 22 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Girard Provence Spring fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Girard Provence Spring, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Provence Spring by Girard. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Provence Spring by Girard represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.