Designers » F-H » Floral « Groups

Amarige Givenchy for women

tuberose
yellow floral
Amarige Givenchy for women Videos
Amarige Givenchy for women Pictures Amarige Givenchy for women Pictures Amarige Givenchy for women Pictures Amarige Givenchy for women Pictures Amarige Givenchy for women Pictures Amarige Givenchy for women Pictures Amarige Givenchy for women Pictures Amarige Givenchy for women Pictures

The name of the perfume 'Amarige' is an anagram of the French word 'Mariage.' That is why this fragrance is as intensive as a strong feeling, merry, juicy and unforgettable as a moment of happy mariage. It is so opulent and floral that it seems like its composition includes all the beautiful flowers that exist in the world.

The Amarige woman is graceful, playful and charming, a real French woman in love. She radiates joy and gives a happy smile. The top notes are composed of fresh fruit: peach, plum, orange, mandarin, with the sweetness of rose wood and neroli. The floral bouquet, very intense and luscious, is created of mimosa, neroli, tuberose, gardenia and acacia with a gourmand hint of black currant. The warm woody base is composed of musk, sandalwood, vanilla, amber, Tonka bean and cedar.
The perfume was created by Dominique Ropion in 1991.

Orange Blossom Plum Mandarin Orange Violet Peach Neroli Brazilian Rosewood

Red Berries Mimosa Carnation Black locust Tuberose Black Currant Gardenia Cassia Orchid Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Rose

Sandalwood Tonka Bean Amber Musk Vanilla Woody Notes Cedar

Gianfranco Ferre
Susan
A Demi-Mot
Animale Animale

Amarige Fragrance Reviews

BackTo1998
BackTo1998

I've worn and loved Amarige for years, and it's one I will always have in my collection. I have a friend who has worn this as her signature for years, and you can smell her before you see her...some people don't like that sort of thing, I do. I'm from the 1980's when perfume was worn heavily everyday, anywhere, and I never left that era or its fashion trends.

Amarige is plum, tuberose, jasmine, cedar, amber and sandalwood. It's one of those heavy white florals from the old school when perfume still had originality. It goes good with overdrawn bright pink and red lipstick, big hair and a personality that lets others know you could care less what they think of you.

It's hard to believe it has been 23 years since the launch of this perfume. I have a lot of good memories of the 1990's, and Amarige is one of those memories.

smritivsingh
smritivsingh

My sister is only 26 and she loves Amarige ! She rocks scents like Red Door, White Diamonds, Bijan and Poeme.. The heavier the floral aspect, more she loves it and more it suits her... This is her comfort scent.. She showers at night and sprays Amarige before going to bed..No doubt even her lover who isn't into perfumes gets comforted by her scent...

Hollie

Tubereuse, in the colder months, this is also more "sour" on me. It's at it's finest on my skin during warmer times of the year.

tubereuse
tubereuse

Tried this on a scent adventure recently. This was fabulous my sister & and on paper, but on me, it soured and fast. What’s up with that?!! I remember a sample way back long long ago, that trial was alright but at that time, it felt too mature... Has this been re-formulated??

sofia362
sofia362

Oh, what is it about this smell that is just so sexy! This perfume is ancient for me I`v had it a decade ago, the bottle is 99% empty, but I cannot and will not through it away. I need my memories! I love the mimosa notes in it that I can pull out with my inexperience nose. To me it is warm like a summer night; exotic woods with a sent of tropics; The is timeless and always desirable. I need more of it, it is time to gently reintroduce it this late summer/fall. As far as notes there is something very unique in this perfume...

boheme_maras
boheme_maras

Sweet white flowers with a few ideas of woody notes and powdery finish. An aromatic orchestra begins with bright juicy fruits like peach, plum and orange, accompanied by delicate orange blossoms, violet and neroli (sour orange blossoms) and all very sweet in their version.
Her heart filled with nostalgic aromas from Plush Celta mimosas, retro red carnations and exotic ylang - ylang, while finishing the puzzles warm woods like sandalwood, cashmere and vanilla.
Lovely and innocent !

antihero
antihero

Well, I love Amarige.
After reading about Amarige here and through other sources I was a little worried about being enveloped in a fog, never to return... . No. This is a beauty. The introduction is a strong tuberose, I love tuberose, followed by plum smoothly mixing in as the tuberose becomes more gentle. I also smell ylang ylang, peach and sweet mimosa, which then turns into a woody-vanilla sweetness on the drydown that (don't scream) smells a bit like Flowerbomb, which some know Ropion assisted in composing.
This fragrance does not smell dated at all to me.

Dominique Ropion's genius is especially noticeable in his seamless blending of notes. Amazing.

I really love this.

Hollie

There are many perfumes that I love but they don't always love me back. This one does! Firstly, I am not naturally attracted to Florals. My first love is Orientals although I will pretty much try anything. I own several white floral perfumes but none that I love like Amarige. So often perfumes just "sit on me" and then eventually go flat. This one sparkles on me and almost gives off a salty fizz that feels like it's a part of me....coming from within. There are a lot of notes listed and I can honestly say that I smell most of the florals...especially the Jasmine, Gardenia and Tuberose....I'm not sure but I think the Mimosa is what's giving it that fizzy quality. I usually don't care for Mimosa as a note but it blends so nicely here. This is a beautiful, beautiful perfume.....ageless too! I have a collection that is overwhelmingly too large and this is one of my favorites.

lilytrivette
lilytrivette

Amarige is an old time favorite of mine...It is such a clean smell and also loved by people...I would suggest it be worn at night...it is not heavy, however it is not one of my daytime favs...
It is floral with oriental overtones...
It is one of my many favorites...

seaside
seaside

I tested this today and assumed, correctly, that it was not a new perfume. It immediately took me back decades. I couldn't pin down the overwhelming note or notes that made me think of evenings with my older relatives.

I was surprised, then, to see that it is just 23 years old because I would have pegged it for the 1940s or '50s.

Now seeing the notes, I'm guessing that it was the tuberose and maybe also the gardenia, along with that old powder smell, that hit me in the face and locked me in that time machine.

This is not a fragrance for me today. Now, some here will grumble, hopefully silently, that I'm just an example of the dumbing down of perfume, that I've become so used to the fruity tutti florals or sweetsie vanilla-lite scents that I simply can't appreciate a classic.

So be it. Sometimes there is a reason for the change in tastes. I can't and don't want to go back to the bygone days conjured up by my brief encounter with this scent.

auroramaria
auroramaria

Amarige should have been called Flowerbomb!
It's such an explosion of flowers and it's very complex.
All I know is that it smells absolutely amazing even though I don't wear it often ther's always a bottle in my collection.
It's very rich and creamy floral to be worn on special occasions it's too important for everyday use.

moonprismpower
moonprismpower

This is seriously powerful stuff. Imagine Poison but even more intense, sweeter, artificial, fresher, and less smoky and you have a decent idea of Amarige. SUPER sweet and floral and I'd say the plum is even more grapey and sweeter than it is in Poison. Amarige is like cheerful, happy, carefree Poison. I can see how this could easily be cloying due to the extreme sweetness, a lovely fragrance but definitely not a blind buy.

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

Ugh just, no for me. I never liked it smelling it from the bottle but was bored one day so decided to see if I liked it any better wearing it. Nope.
Not even after a few hours, that evil tuberose is my scent nemesis.

zind
zind

WOW!

I've been dying to sample this for sooo long and I do love tuberose. This is indeed very, very floral. I think it smells absolutely wonderful, but it sure is very intense and I doubt it would ever turn into an everyday perfume for me. This is one of those that I'd love to have just for those special occasions where I crave some tuberose, this and fracas.

I layered this with casmir and I just loved the result. They seem to balance eachother wonderfully. I find casmir a little too sweet and (forgive me) boring, amarige on the other hand is a little too floral, but together they are perfect!

rdharmapuri
rdharmapuri

This one is analogous to the elephant in the room. And, what a warm, powerful and sensual elephant it is! I started out as a skeptic given the enormous power of this one, but fell in love the first day I wore it. This seems to work perfectly for my chemistry - wafts of warmth raising up through the day (or days?!), showing off the richness, shamelessly! A golden classic. Less is more, less is more. Watch how much you spray - extremely long lasting and sillage worth a hundred feet!

Sylvie-Aus
Sylvie-Aus

It is a floral perfume with this " je ne sais quoi" . I always have a bottle of it, I use periodically in colder month. It has this warm freshness to it, floral but never sickening , basically it became one of those "classics" for me, I don't get bored or grow out of it.

Aromawander
Aromawander

This was a blind purchase for me since many reviewers here stated it was a truly floral fragrance. Now this one takes its promise to be powdery floral fragrance rather seriously. Opens with a overpowering and rather heady embrace of tuberose and gardenia. I waited and waited and waited for other notes to emerge towards the drydown - NOTHING apart from an occasional whiff of mimose! No wood, tonka beans, amber, musk vanilla or ylang ylang emerge on my skin, sadly..It's just tuberose and gardenia and then some more of the same. Sad, really, for the promise of exotic notes is wasted on me. This really strikes me as odd, since my body chemistry picks out the faintest of notes, ever!

It does smell like the inside of an Indian temple owing to its strong white floral notes. I am a fan of tuberose so I don't really mind spraying this on cooler nights. Beware though, for this is a sillage monster and people across the room can easily smell your perfume. Longevity is more than 12 hours on me, and forever on clothes. While I will enjoy the floral blast occasionally, I definitely will not buy it again. Not my signature Givenchy fragrance, this one.

deepyb
deepyb

This was one of my favourite fragrances in the 90's. It is unique and very strong. I remember I got a lot of compliments whenever I used to wear AMARIGE. It's classy, SUPER sexy and feminine. Strangely enough, I can not detect any single note; frankly I don't even try to! I just love it as it is; one of the best smelling perfumes I ever had, maybe even The Best.

Longevity and sillage are incredible, just the way I want fragrances to be.

I don't wear it anywmore, because I get too sentimental whenever I wear it; caught up in a lot of very good memories!

ShellBelle
ShellBelle

Sampled this today and Wow! I think this is such a gorgeous mix of floral and woody notes! For me it starts off with Tuberose, Gardenia, and almost a creamy carnation mix. Soothing woody notes come later for me in the drydown. This is just heaven to me! I think anyone one that loves Floral frags has to try this one.

gabriel.villa
gabriel.villa

Amarige, will you marry me? You stole my heart when I first met you, my dear... you got me and I could never forget you... you are so different, so special... so beautiful! You smell so good!

Amarige is an anagram for the French word "mariage", which in English means "marriage", obviously. It reminds me a marriage in a hot sunny day in a beautiful place with green areas and many flowers. Dominique Ropion created Amarige for Givenchy back in 1991, one year after Lancôme's Trésor, and Amarige certainly brings to us an 80s aura. Amarige is a bomb of flowers, it's so strong, so oriental, it's impossible not to remember of the great fragrances released in the 80s.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Amarige is violet. I always detected a huge violet note in Amarige, despite of the fact it's got millions of notes. But the first thing I smell when I spray Amarige on is orange blossom. Such a beautiful orange blossom note, fresh, heavy, sweet... it mixes itself beautifully with a citrusy tone of neroli and mandarine orange, which makes this orange blossom even fresher. I detect peach, an alcoholic drink-like peach, and then gardenia, and then mimose, rose, orchid... jasmine... when I finally smell the violet, I also find the plum, and oh, what can I say? Such a wonderful mix! There is now a candy-like sensation to the fragrance, and the smoky woods I start to detect, and the creamy vanilla with the spicy tonka bean just make everything to be even more special! It's in this part of the fragrance I also smell carnation... beautiful beautiful carnation note. Oh, dear, how could I forget tuberose? It's one of the main stars of the show! Tuberose in Amarige is light, fresh, sweet and a little bit smoky too. It's a very very good tuberose, I have to say. Red berries and black currant are present too, I also have to say... and ylang-ylang, to bring another level of sexyness and afrodisiac touch. Well, another thing, and this is not listed: pear. I might have been fooled by all of those notes, but I get some pear in all of that mix. Ok, to finish... sandalwood, to add some darkness... musk, to creat a soft sensation... and amber, a lot of amber to warm things up. I would add that Amarige is very luminous, very powdery and very enchanting.

Well, I certainly speak of hours and hours with pungent flowers, juicy fruits, warm spices and incensy woods. Amarige lasts and lasts and lasts... I can dance the whole night with it, never mind, it stays on... it's a master in longevity. And it projects, oh yeah... it hunts, it goes after people, it shows them you are in the same room - and you can stink out the entire place. People who do not stand Amarige, do not stay by my side, you will suffer.

Amarige is dated, it's and old style fragrance. It's a fragrance for a woman with (deep) neckline, with pantyhose, with a big hair, scandalous make up and red lipstick. It really reminds me the 80s and 90s. It's something I could imagine my young mother in her 30s wearing, when I was a child. It's so sexy! It's so romantic too, but not that obvious romantic fragrance. Let's remember that it brings this marriage theme, but I would say Amarige would be for that clever bride that knows how to celebrate with her husband in the honey moon, who marries with her garter belts under her wedding dress. But you know, I also think Amarige keeps being modern in some ways after all the years of its creation, despite of the fact that I really find it to be dated. I think some things never should be out of fashion. A sexy bride wearing red lipstick and Amarige, for example.

Going back to the beginning: Amarige, will you marry me? I'm intoxicated by you, darling! What about the honey moon? Will you bloom to me all night long?

rockegg
rockegg

On me it's a short tropical vacation in a bottle. First, an explosion of gardenia and tuberose. This dissipates quickly. It's the wood that lingers most of all.

foxy_princess

I usually HATE tuberose. WITH A PASSION! my sister however loves tuberose fragrances, and her signature was this perfume at one point, and Giorgio Yellow is her all time favourite fragrance. Let me just say, this smells sooooooo good! if i imagined Velvet to have a scent, it would be this. It's so divinely rich, warm, opulent, velvety, smooth ahhh and it has tuberose in it. The only Tuberose scent I like! thumbs up for this masterpiece

julieekerr
julieekerr

received as a gift 20 plus years ago. not for me. something in this fragrance catches my throat and goes peppery on my skin. now got a full vintage bottle. don't want to test it to see if it is still good as it was awful on me to start with.

Piippe
Piippe

I have probably ten years old bottle of this. My mum got it from her childhood best friend who now lives in Paris (and I got it from my mum after desiring it for so many years, she rarely wears any perfume).

I never wear this (way too strong for me) but I love sniffing it once in awhile as it reminds me of my childhood. It's the signature fragrance of the friend of my mum and every time she visited us here in Finland our whole house was filled with this divine smell. So lovely memories.

So, in other words this was the start of my perfume love journey, back when I was ten years old or less (and way too young to wear any).

0lga5
0lga5

It smells just like Blue Lady by Rasasi,in fact I would be able to even defferntiate these two if had my eyes closed. I used Blue Lady through my high school and got many complements then. And so glad they are so alike, it is much easier to find Amarige nowdays. It is a beautiful and different fragrance, very distinguished.Love!

makeupguru
makeupguru

I've had this perfume for over 20 years and it's my 'go to' fragrance. It's bold, sweet and long lasting. I love the body cream and lotion as well. Gorgeous scent that I just couldn't be without!

kathryn.irving1
kathryn.irving1

I am not an expert on perfumes. I have always had a hard time with strong scents, and always with people who drown themselves in them. I have only had two scents that I have worn for a long time. My first was Lauren, by Ralph Lauren. It was not overwhelming, earthy,sensual. Then I met Claire, who wore Amarige. The scent was sensual,woodsy,faintly fruity, and it seemed that my lauren and her amarige were a very heady combination. After we didn't see each other, I tried it, and found that it was the scent for me. Initially strong but settled down to musky, woodsy, with a hint of these ingredients that people mention. I do have to say that I don't think that this is overwhelming fruity, I think that people who drown themselves may feel that way. I think that starting with a small amount allows it to mix with your body chemistry. It was the right combination for me.

mildspicej17u55l
mildspicej17u55l

This, Gianfranco Ferre,Tresor and Classique are my mom's signature scents. And are also my favorites of all the ones my mom has. Its very similar to Gianfranco Ferre for women by Gianfranco Ferre. From a 17 year old guy's point of view, this is a very good smell.

icecube
icecube

A very strong tuberrose opens this perfume. After a while it settles doft to a floral perfume.
And it is still very strong - to strong for my liking - but for tuberrose and gardenialovers this must be heaven.

patxaran
patxaran

Samsara82 thank you for your review it put a smile and tears in my face.

Lillitth
Lillitth

Amariage goes on LOUDLY with tuberose and plum. It settles into a sweet long lasting floral. Dries down to mostly powdery gardenia. It's pretty but nothing really special on me. I would be unlikely to wear or buy it with so many others that suit me better. My husband said "it's ok but doesn't make me go wow." He gave it a 7.

MHJ77
MHJ77

This is a very strong perfume when you first spray it. Just wait and let it settle down. Nice :)

darksome
darksome

Amarige smells on me like a true carnation. Very smooth & velvety but not so spicy like artificial carnation (which I dislike) notes normally smell.

It reminds me on my childhood and all the good memories playing around our garden, where little light pink carnations were planted and smelled identical to this perfume.

If you don't know how real carnation smells - it's like eating a old, very sweet apple, which peel shrinked, but it's still edible + some spices, or even dried apple/pear chips. In some ways Amarige also smells like a bubble gum, like for example Lou Lou or Truth or Dare. But all three are quite different.

Also, it's not a scent for everyone, because it's a very true interpretation of florals.

servana
servana

When I smell it straight out of the bottle, it smells like a beautiful white floral, with strong notes of gardenia and jasmine. However, when I spray it on my skin, all of this is gone and it changes completely into a yellow floral, with the strongest notes being mimosa, ylang ylang and tuberose. Honestly, this scent is dreadful on my skin. It just smells really, really bad, kind of like body odor. I attribute that to the tuberose.

It smells delightful on my wristwatch, but on my skin it's just awful. And the problem is that the nozzle sprays out a large volume of liquid and as everyone knows, this perfume is a sillage-monster with amazing staying power. I was actually on the train today and I could swear the woman next to me pulled a face, lol. It's not that it's bad-smelling, it's just that it's bad-smelling on me.

If this works with your body chemistry then you're very lucky, as a little of this goes a *long* way! This scent is definitely for a woman who likes to be noticed when she walks into the room... Unfortunately for me it blocks my sinuses and makes me feel like I constantly have to sneeze =/

lizs123
lizs123

Dear Samsara82, What a beautiful,moving story. Thank you

yvankraft
yvankraft

Amarige is not heavy nor migraine inducer. It's a real French perfume, the most romantic ever created. No scent is like it. Instead of criticizing Dominique Ropion's work of art, one should respect the inspiration of a genius behind this beautiful fragrance and try to understand it. Why so many irate bad reviews? Personal affections or disaffections should not connect with the perfume itself...

HaNnAmAr1n
HaNnAmAr1n

The only reason I have this perfume is because it was my grandmother's signature scent and she passed away recently so I kept the perfume to remind me of her. This is a very strong, very long-lasting scent- seriously. One spray will last hours and will be able to be smelled at a good distance. It's kind of overpowering in my opinion but smelling it brings me back to my childhood and my grandma and so it's very comforting to me. It is extremely floral, somewhat powdery, and it comes across as sophisticated and (probably because of the connection to my grandmother) very mature. I can't imagine anyone under the age of 40 wearing this.

mystica
mystica

This fragrance is very very sharp that it makes me sick.

It is a classic I know, and I appreciate it in a way. But I don't see the Tuberose connotation or rather the note. Tuberose here is nothing similar to Versace's Blonde or Chloe original -some good examples- if it ever exists. There are so many notes in Amarige that it seems nothing stands out.

An extremely sharp combination of many things but not at all white florals to my nose. Or I don't like these notes in this perfume.

aura2424
aura2424

Another perfume that doesn't dry down on me.A singly spray is enough and it takes time to evaporate, a sort of oily layer glistens on my skin .I get a lovely burst of scent that makes me think of an Indian temple with the scent of incense and flowers wafting in the air .I do smell tuberose,incense and sandalwood ,the other notes making an intoxicating mix indecipherable to me . An outdoor perfume if sprayed heavily.

LadyPilot
LadyPilot

There is something bitter and intoxicating about Amarige that makes it a difficult scent for delicate noses, it is likely to give you a headache if overdosed, but if you are looking for something elegant, recognizable and simply timeless, it is definitely worth giving a try.

samsara82
samsara82

Dear Readers,

What can I say?, I enjoy this perfume over the years and its part of my collection on my mantle and collective memories even though one experience is from someone's else's memories that hers is now mine, let me tell you why.

Firstly, I was introduced to this perfume as a teen when a family member worked in a perfume boutique and when I smelled this in its bottle I was enrapture by its bright and warming floral's and to my delight my sister gave me a miniature bottle splash of it that I used until it emptied with use and to this day I still have it in my collection,

The other experience Im sharing ,its origins come from when I worked as a nurse in a nursing home doing my duties in caring for my patients and there was one lady that was mute ,paralyzed and alone despite the room being wide enough for 2 more patients to be her roommates but she was the only one there ,alone in such a grey place.

I remember she was my last patient for the night and when i was putting her to bed after her bath , I looked in her drawer for a comb for her hair and lo and behold my eyes were gazing upon a old friend, Amarige from Givenchy, a lotion, and vintage too, the same shape like the perfume bottle but all solid white and the cream was golden, I asked my patient was this her's, she could not speak but nodded a yes and I said Ma'am excuse my boldness but you have fabulous taste, would you like me to put some on you tonight?, and she nodded again of yes, and then I put on her skin and tucked her to bed, the fragrance was of garden of blooming flowers in that dark shady room that I even forgot how dreary it was and as I tucked my lady patient in ,she had her pale skin became a sweet pink and her eyes closed with a expression of she was seeing something and I know she was seeing and feeling a memory of a time that the perfume transported her there and a tear grew out of her eyes and I asked her if she was feeling good now ? meanwhile i wiped her tear off and caressed her light coffee brown hair and she nodded by my touch and in a whispery strained voice she said "thank you" with her eyes still closed as in still holding on to her memories of this perfume but answering me out of gratitude, and that night she slept soundly as my co-workers reported to me that she did not made any fuss that night and the room smelled gorgeous but thought it was the flowers from outside her closed window.

Dear readers, it goes to show that perfumes do bring a joy even in the most dreary of times and this experience of the lady patient is now my own as evidence of being witness of the power of fragrance and delighted to own a bottle of it myself

Viva Amarige and the house of Givenchy!.

KaseyC
KaseyC

Been curious about this fragrance for it's longevity interesting notes and controversy since I joined Fragrantica. I think it's time to get a bottle because I saw it on big sale at a local cosmetics shop.

I tried it on a piece of paper first. The opening is powerful tuberose & gardenia with other floral notes and fruity notes from plum peach and cranberry. The opening is 80% similar to that of my love Gio. I was delighted and amazed. Unfortunately, this deja vu only lives for 20mins. When it dries down, the sharp white floral scent is getting weaker and now I smell a strong sandalwood and trace of sweetness. I tried it again on my skin to see if it's stronger on it (for most fragrances they smell stronger on me than on the paper). I sprayed once on my wrist and once on my neck. Oh no, it's not strong and it doesn't last too. To be honest, I am disappointed to realize that this fragrance is not as strong and heavy as other reviewers describe. Rather, it's a close-to-skin fragrance and the scent is gone unnoticeable after 3 hours. Maybe it performs better in the humid Spring/ Summer and I do hope so. I think the reformulation has destroyed this beauty. Too bad!

Overall, this fragrance has a nice scent that I adore but unfortunately the reformulation makes it weak.

Edit: I believe my nose is saturated with this scent so that I cannot smell it after 2.5 hours or so. Now, I just sniffed some earthy patchouli fragrance on my another wrist. And then I sniffed the one that I sprayed Amarige on earlier. Wow, it's getting powerful again. Yet, it only lasts 4 hrs max on me :(

Edit 2: I sprayed it on my clothes and I could still smell it after a few days. I will do that if I want to keep it longer.

edna maria de lima rocha
edna maria de lima rocha

my god my god..nunca vi um perfume tão parecido como esse Fergie Outspoken..

smellywellies
smellywellies

This fragrance does what it's name suggests. It is loud and overpowering as any scent of the 1990's, very sweet but not sickly.

The heart, base and top note are all very strong, alway talking and never agrue! They compliment each other perfectly!

The longevity of the fragrance is testimony to the quality of the formula, which I am happy to say is as good as when it was first lauched (in my opinion).

This fragrance has real staying power, on every level! As the name suggests it's A marriage.

odie
odie

So wonderful.....my mother had this scent and I LOVED it, its something good but quite expensive here in my country....I miss it!!!

incrediblemelk
incrediblemelk

I've had this on my want list for a while but on smelling it again I'm not sure why. I think it's a bit too sweet and blowsy for my taste: I associate the sweetness with tuberose. It's definitely a joyful perfume but it almost smells retro now: it's very full-on and amped up in a way I associate with late '80s-early '90s perfumes. I feel as if only a very exuberant, extroverted personality could get away with it.

cikcik
cikcik

l second the previous review.
On me it is mainly gardenia, cloves, tuberose, then vanilla, woods and plum. l find it seductive and different. Definitely a must-have for those who like the perfumes of the 80's-90's.

butterbean
butterbean

I love this perfume and have for a long time.

I also have written a review on it - apparently all you Amarige haters thumbed it down and it got removed. Stupid!

My opinion is valid if you don't like it - add you own review.

Amarige is a strong gardenia tuberose floriental. The gardenia is probably the strongest of notes, followed by the tuberose. However - from the beginning the notes that stand out strongly and really project are gardenia tuberose and WOOD - brazilian rosewood and sandalwood.
There is a peachy plum concoction of other notes mixed in but the gardenia/tuberose/woods are the main players.

The woody nature of this perfume is what I think IMHO turn people off. In a world full of sweet sweets and patchouli - it is very different. It is DRY - drier and the white flower of the gardenia are not for everyone. I think the tuberose is also a more loud tuberose. It is not a overly sweet tuberose that is light hearted. It is much stronger, and less noticeably sweet.

As Amarige wears - the dry woodsiness tones down and the fragrance warms up and becomes sweeter. It is very elegant.

It is strong and a little goes a very long way. This is a fragrance that only needs 1-2 sprays. It has incredible silage. Applied appropriately it has a seductive quality about it. It was my most complimented fragrance for a long time.

RevADGriffin
RevADGriffin

My wife recieved this as a gift from our pastor's wife and it's simply my favorite. I had no idea of what it was for years until recently I knew she must be running low on and I wouldn't want her (or me) to be without it.

Flamenca
Flamenca

Amarige was my favorite one in early '90s but actually it's not a girly scent. It's an elegant classic and suitable for passionate women. Now I'm in 38 and still it's one of my favorites, I wear it when I want to feel more attractive. ;) My magical elixir is J'adore L'absolu; but I can say that Amarige is the second one. :)

Thutel
Thutel

gente nunca vi um perfume parecer tanto cm outro AMARIGE=OUTSPOKE...OUTSPOKE=AMARIGE...PONTO FINAL..SEM MAIS

fiouu
fiouu

Wow, this is a mess. I don't really know how to feel towards this, It's too loud, very easy to OVERapply, don't get me wrong, it's pleasant, but I'd rather smell it out of the atomizer than smell like a '90 cocktail party. It's well crafted, as all perfumes crafted by Mr. Ropion which I admire, but I guess the loads and loads of women wearing this throughout DECADES has killed any attraction I may had for this. Oh, and also bare in mind that this is SWEET. SWEETSWEETSWEET (like natural sweet, not ethyl-maltol-like sweet)

emo_onigiri
emo_onigiri

For the longest time I absolutely hated this scent but now that my nose is getting more acquainted with many different kinds of perfumes, I think I'm starting to see it's positive qualities. That said, there seem to be a lot of ingredients in this fragrance that I don't sense. I smell a very deep, sensual gardenia and amber. The perfume also has sort of a boozy undertone to me like maybe a hint of an expensive whiskey? I dunno, maybe it's just me. Overall, I think this perfume is well suited to anyone who wants to smell sexy and alluring although as many have stated, a little goes a long way.

polkadot27
polkadot27

It is classy & feminine, oriental & flowery, it is a long lasting scent which is strong and alluring. It is a masterpiece in the simplest sense.

marthapurvis
marthapurvis

Amarige as an experience:

Outside is a very chilly spring morning. The sun is coming up slowly, and warm orange rays of light are peeking through the blinds. You wake up in worn-in flannel and set water on the stove to boil. Before the kettle whistles, you crack the window to let in some fresh crisp air. You stand by the windows with a cup of honeyed tea warming your hands. The steam floats toward your chin as you inhale the fresh garden air from the yard. Floral notes coat your senses like honeyed tea coats the throat. Warm yet crisp.

I'm in love!!

Spikekuji
Spikekuji

Those of you who love this scent please have mercy upon those of us who can't stand it. I understand why people love it, but IT IS LIKE READING A BOOK WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS WHILE LISTENING TO A JACKHAMMER RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR HEAD. Yes, it is that powerful, be gentle.

blackw0lfx
blackw0lfx

okay so this is floral. i get tuberose and gardenia. the mimosa adds a bit of crisp sparkle to it. the ylang ylang is sweet. its also a juicy fragrance. i cant really distingush all the fruit notes, but the fragrance smells moist and juicy. and that is what i think when i smell this fragrace. a moist sexy woman. maybe she is laying naked in a field of flowers. a slight breeze. she is sexy and ready to go. i almost get some cherry. yes definately cherry. a sweet juicy cherry. okay i dont know if my imagintion is making me smell things....anyways i think this is nice, but definately a dabber. this could easy overpower. applied lightly and could be for work or play, dressed up or down. i think i will keep my sample, but when it runs out i probably wont purchase since i dont think it is really me. i think a 20+ fragrance.

mpbrown
mpbrown

I knew from the reviews that this fragrance was going to pack a huge floral punch. I also knew that many people dislike it and it was because of that which made me want to sample it even more as it seems that fragrances that most people hate I adore - Amarige is no different. Yes it is floral bossy, but I love it, it feels like I am sitting in a tuberose blossom in the middle of gardenia garden surrounded by bitter orange trees while being showered with mimosa. There is a smooth woody vanilla undercurrent but I get very little of the fruity notes. The fragrance from beginning to end feels very bright and exotic and intense and glorious. Those who are fragrance timid should steer clear, just a friendly warning. A big thumbs up from me.

Add: the extended dry down of this fragrance is a-ma-zing!

lollsazz
lollsazz

I like this, but I don't love it. To me it smells like black currant, peach and strong white flowers. I feel like there's lily-of-the-valley somewhere among the flowers. The smell is very mature and elegant, but it has a bitter note on me. If this doesn't turn bitter on you, this is a nice perfume, although it's not a modern one - it smells of antique chic. It's very feminine, flowery, very strong and definitely has personality. The drydown is more creamy, but it retains most of the upper notes at the same time.

plaintain1
plaintain1

I've this perfume about three times. It's so elegant, warm and stately. I wear it in the evening as I feel it's too strong for day wear and given that it is strong, it's not offensive. Will buy again and again...

I used to love it, but it was re-formulated as I wrote before.
I can instantly recognize it among others.
I don't know why but I hate to smell this on other women. A few of them smell good and wear it beuatifully, but it's not the rule.
Whenever I pass by a lady recking of Amarige I cannot avoid thinking: OMG! She smells awful!
They smell rotten, dirty and so out of place like a wrong music.
I don't know why, maybe chemistry, maybe reformulation or just the fact that as for many other famous perfumes the wearer don't fit the scent and the scent takes its revenge!
Indeed Amarige's Revenge must be something serious!

ful
ful

it has been my first perfume when I got engaged in 1991. I tried to cheat it whith other perfumes from time to time. But I've never gave it up. I dont remember how many bottle I have finished since then.

frajo
frajo

i just love this fragrance...it is eternal feminity,round ,voluptuous...a pure classic fragrance

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

The feeling of butterflies in the tummy translated into the language of perfumery.

The jitters you feel just before the bloom of adolescence.

Then, years later, the odd musty carriagehouse smell that makes you feel like you are in early April once again; that rare early spring day that hits past seventy degrees.

Amarige is capable of not only working with the body's chemistry; but creating it as well.

shasta
shasta

I like this a lot. Unfortunately, it does not like me. I use to wear it until it started making me feel nauseous. Back in the day I couldn't really afford it and that's when avon came out with their soft and sensual line which smells just like this. After reading some of the reviews, I never realized that people thought of this as a flower bomb. Yes, there were definitely floral notes. I always think of this as a romantic almost sexy scent. At the time of it's debut, it was a very original scent which was part of it's appeal.

motherof3
motherof3

I love this scent!I'll take a heavyfloral over any fruity watery perfume any day.I always get compliments especially from my husband he says "you smell sooooo gooood" I mean everytime lol but Amargie isn't for the meek you have to be a hardcore flower fan

skapusta1
skapusta1

Love, Love, Love Amarige! I used to sell fragrances at Marshall Field's, a.k.a Macy's, and I don't even know how many times I would get in trouble for spritzing myself with this scent! But, I am a lover of full bodied florals! My everyday favorite is Angel by Thierry Mugler, and not kidding that everyday I get at least one compliment of someone saying that I smell delicious! I also love Jo Malone Blue Agave and Cacao, but no one ever says anything about it, I must just need the strong scents with my chemistry!

schamberae
schamberae

I have the miniature gift set since 2009, and amarige is the one I adore. let's say I smell a jasmine tea on the opening, probably it taste real jasmine tea if I can drink it and remind me of a traditional Javanese wedding party which is use lots of jasmines and tuberoses. very classic, very 90's, very womenly. the dry down is sweet and warm. I think this Amarige and Amarige Mariage is a sister which is mariage is more calm and delicate.

smoothshoperator

Delicious juicy plums mixed with warm spices! I love this perfume. I know it doesn't list spices but to my nose I always think of sweet plums mixed with Indian spices when I smell this. The woman who wears this is a TIGER. She seduces with her mind not her body. Her eyes are deep, soulful, and so beautiful that you just can't look away from her gaze...... Back to reality, It is strong so just 1 spray does it for me, but it is so warm and comforting perfect for fall and winter under a warm comfy sweater. If you are running away from someone that is wearing this then that it is because they sprayed way too much. You should be able to only get a nice waft of this if worn correctly. It shouldn't permeate the whole entire room. This is a winter perfume.

lennethh
lennethh

I had it but sadly it doesn't smeel good on me... I love this perfume but I can't use it

stormyla
stormyla

I love so many of the Givenchy fragrances, but this isn't one of them. In addition, I adore a few other creations of the same era by perfumer, Dominique Ropion. It's hard to believe that he is the progenitor of this scent.

Back in the early 90's I lived in fear that someone would give me a gift of this scent which I would then feel obligated to wear. Consequently, I told everyone I knew how much I loathed this fragrance.

This has to be one of the harshest most acrid smells I have encountered. Yes, it has some nice floral notes, but it is so bitter and caustic.

Loud Sillage Monster? When reviewers use words like Nuclear Blast, Veritable Force Field etc...get the picture? I'm a person who likes scents from the 40's. Few fragrances made in the last 70 years approach the sillage of those behemoths, yet Amarige surpasses even many of those. I left many meetings and switched many seats to get away from this aggressive bully. Is that how you would want to be remembered?

To my mind the purpose of a perfume fragrance is to mingle with the wearer's body chemistry to enhance their own unique scent. Amarige is a fragrance that smells exactly the same on every person who wears it. It lets none of the person's chemistry inside of it's force field. I wonder how many of the women who wear this fragrance realize that Amarige is actually wearing them?

denncita
denncita

I don't know if you guys have noticed but there are other perfumes coming out lately that resemble Amarige a lot. Perfumes such as Elie Saab le parfum and Alien by Thierry Mugler with the strong jasmine note. None are better than this though, a true classic.

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

Oh Amarige, sweet, robust, knock-out of a woman Amarige. My mother had this in the mid 90s. I have the fondest memories of going in to her room, getting on my tip toes to reach on to the top of her dressers, and dousing myself in this. This is my earliest fragrance memory - age 4 (hehe, I know).

Funny story - I did douse myself in this one day before primary school. Lo-and-behold, I was sent home with a note saying that my fragrance was too strong and was causing one of my classmates to have breathing problems. (I feel the same would hold today!).

I have tried this out numerous times, for the sake of nostalgia, and I have to say that it is lovely. It is bold, bombastic, and not for the faint of heart. The best part is that you can buy a smaller bottle and have it last for a long time because it requires so little for such a large effect!

Amarige, je t'adore. Classique!

thazinha30
thazinha30

I had this perfume when i was 12-13 and remember really liking it. I need to smell this again though, i miss it!!!

L'Arlesienne
L'Arlesienne

Scentsforme, this IS Amarige.... Read the header! WTF!

czerwinski1
czerwinski1

Very oldfashioned, sharp,silage monster. Not for me sorry.

Perfumedsecrets

I've never been a wallflower, and the 90's had some of the boldest florals. Sometimes I can't resist something like Amarige. Clean/fresh scents are nice, but they don't leave an impression or get many compliments. Tuberose and gardenia in one perfume? Massive and sensual.

cyprusmum

Have it at the moment. I am getting through the bottle, but won't purchase again. Thought I would enjoy wearing it every day, but no! A pleasant enough scent, but feels a little outdated for me now. Maybe as I am ageing I am finding fresh scents better for me.

BikiniBabe
BikiniBabe

I have a love-hate relationship with this perfume, and not because it smells sweet, sexy, feminine and elegant... and not because it has excellent longevity and projection... lol ... but because it brings back not so fond memories of my parents. It was not the best part of my life... and i hope in time the memory of it and the association with this wonderful perfume will be long forgotten and i will be able to wear it again.

I give it a try every few years.. just in case... but i'm still not over it yet. Such a shame =(

scentsforme

I have been wearing this for awhile, the more you wear the better it gets!!!!

Update: it is a powerful perfume one spray and walk in to it is the best way to apply this….10/10…Wonderful!

Pooja37
Pooja37

Sweet floral but in a nice happy way, if you spray it right. This is so powerful that one can easily go overboard with just one extra spray. I usually just spray a mist and walk into it and it stays with me - for quite a while! I like the way this smells on me. Feminine but also fruity, cheerful and abundant.

I read some of the reviews below and while a few made me laugh out loud, like crazykoffee's review, I don't really think Amarige deserves the bashing it has got.

If you like florals that are not watered down and weak but have a personality, go for it. I really like this, and if you mist it around you, it settles into a delicate floral haze and stays with you effortlessly. Just beautiful.

ellideb
ellideb

My mum went through a stage for waring this when I was a teen and I have memories of being stuck in the car with her on the way to school and wanting to heave. I hated the smell and begged her to stop wearing it as it made me feel so sick. I can't tand anywhere near another perosn if they are wearing it I just find it so overpowering and sick-inducing.

Mushana
Mushana

The type of fragrance you wear to get a reaction.. good or bad! It has to be worn in moderation because it has the ability to offend. All the women I know who have worn this have been very tough!

Museumgal
Museumgal

This is very fruity floral to me -- must be a combination of the mimose and the fruits, but it is like a blast of sweet fruit with your big mix of white florals. Between the mimose, the white florals and the fruit it is a very sweet composition although floral sweet not gourmand sweet. Reminds me of nectar. Lasts a long time, sillage is great. Good for white floral lovers everyone else should probably avoid! They are very powerful here and there's no way to ignore them.

millie1980
millie1980

This is potent, certainly not like a wishy-washy modern floral. It is a rich, honeyed floral, mimosa is prominent, which I like. It is more womanly than girly, yet also sweet and playful. Best used sparingly - and more of a winter/evening fragrance?

BorisRubio
BorisRubio

El favorito de mi Mamá :)
Es muy fuerte, y noto que la mayoría de perfumes supuestamente "finos" y "caros" de el milenio pasado son extremadamente fuertes!!
Mi Madre lo ama!! Quien la hace apartarse de su Amarige?? Quien?? NADIE!! haha
Es para una mujer mayor, nada para jovencitas.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

Could this fragrance have been... possibly... "Over Marketed"?
-- in my experience of Amarige, this was the case...

---------------

I bought this fragrance the first couple of years that it was launched and this was a truly great fragrance ON... but I didn't like the fact that I had several people clearly identify the exact name of the fragrance when wearing this.

"Are you wearing Amarige? Oh, Amarige was the fragrance that I bought for my aunt this Christmas". -- Who wants to hear THAT? (Not me!)

I had never worn a fragrance where people were able to accurately identify the exact name before, and I felt like this was not a "unique" enough fragrance to capture my attention after that.

As a fragrance model, I have typically avoided selecting a fragrance that was a huge marketing run-away best seller... such as Obsession by Calvin Klein, White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor, etc... -- I tend to be drawn to fragrances that are less generic and are more unique.

------------

In Amarige's defense, this fragrance launched a couple of decades ago-- and I truly loved the fragrance, but was not so hep on the fact that so many people were initially wearing it. Timing is everything -- so there has been enough time since this launched for the marketing and initial surge to have softened. Amariage is definitely a fragrance that I may want to revisit. It was extremely popular for a REASON! It is really a Great Fragrance... obviously!

From what I remember, it is a pretty strong fragrance and I liked the notes in it.

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

If you can enjoy it, you would so much... Happily I can.

So impressively daring. In Ropion's best creation group for me by far. Based on flowers celebration, I'm crazy about the mimosa ylang tuberose prominence it gives in my skin. I admire its bitterness, creaminess and thickness. In love with all its stages, so many with such a long development in time, it lasts like no other. Bravo.

I consider Amarige to be one of the most audacious scents in wardrobe. I feel so enormous in it. I feel one spray dresses me up. I see myself as the Victory of Samothrace in it while my eyes are watching Mark Rothko's nº8 1952 painting and I'm listening a complex aria.

I also find Amarige very very sexy and suggestive.

Hope you can appreciate it too.

A very heady gardenia/tuberose combination. Creamy, not too sweet or stifling. Certainly on the "dense" side though. Amarige can create a veritable forcefield of fragrance. One of the few fragrances with prominent mimose I can enjoy.
Very floral, very romantic.
Sweet plum, soft vanilla. Super strong so I can see how it could be overbearing. I'd hate to be stuck in a small space with someone who over applied Amarige. One spray maximum. Even sniffing a test strip gave a friend of mine a migraine.
I enjoy it's scent, but it's a bit heavy for me to use in daily life.

marwa.qoura
marwa.qoura

I remember I had a sample of this in the 90's and falling in love with it ..No wonder my signature perfume is Franck Olivier which has almost the same notes ..Wish to have it again .

Amarige reminds me of the 80's even though it was created in the early 90's. Its as if it still holds the remnants of the 80's in its spirit, before the 90's were truly defined. I smelled this before reading the notes here and could easily identify tuberose and mimosa. Those are the notes that are most prevalent on me. There is an astringent quality to this scent, but its blended with a creaminess and a subtle green undertone. When I smell this, I immediately picture the color yellow for some reason. I don't find this scent romantic or delicate or playful. I picture a strong smart business woman wearing this with an expensive suit and patent heels. I don't think Amarige and I will ever be best friends however. We are just not suited for each other.

stephanie.hamrick
stephanie.hamrick

Maybe it's just me, but the opening of this really reminds me of Champs Elysees by Guerlain, minus the almond. Not much in common notes-wise, but the yellow and white floral notes are so 1990s. (I was a child then, so it's comforting to me.)

piahellgren
piahellgren

I wish could smell this again since all I remember is that it used to make me sick. I remember something like crushed cried coriander in it, but There isn´t any in it. I do, however, think that I don´t like carnation and maybe that is what smells so strong to me? Wasn´t there carnation in Nina Ricci too?

LuizaNasta
LuizaNasta

Around 15+ years ago, I got a gift box of Amarige perfume and lotion from my mother. I remember this gift very well as it surprised me how different the smell was from all the other perfumes I had smelled before. In those days, many perfumes I had encountered were too strong for my nose, but Amarige was quite different... sweet and delicate... like flowers bathed in honey vanilla milk.
Since then, I have fallen in love with other fragrances, but Amarige has always remained in my list of top 10 loves. To this day, I have kept the two empty glass bottles from that gift box... they remind me that this was my very first signature fragrance.
I was and still am enchanted by this sweet warm nectar.
The marriage between this scent and my skin makes me smile every time I wear it... we simply have great chemistry together!

Classic, elegant and feminine.

A day fragrance.
One to two sprays is enough to last for 12+ hrs... a little goes a long way.

BeatrixRabbit
BeatrixRabbit

I wore this many years ago, and loved it. It was a gift from a dear friend, and my boyfriend (now husband) loved it. So much has been written of it, much of it unkind, but I'll always have great affection for it.

And, I admit it. The more self-appointed tastemakers clutch their pearls and bitch about it, the more I want to wear it again. Lavishly. *wink*

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Amarige is an explosion in a flower shop.

It is an over the top floral cocktail in which the bartender perfumer has thrown everything in the shaker, whirled it around his head with gay abandon and has apparently no idea and less care as to what will come out later.

The result is as lethal as a Long Island Ice Tea, as silly and Sex on the Beach and as downright camp as a Pina Colada.

And yet, for all that, Amarige is an adorable floral avalanche of an aroma.

This is scent as sung by Dolly Parton “P.E.R.F.U.M.E.”.

Indeed Ms Parton is the perfect metaphor for this heaving bosom of a perfume.

Like her it is seemingly sewn together out of the off colour off cuts of a thousand other stars, but in reality it is a skilful, clever, utterly unforgettable confection that has and will stand the test of time.

And as for notes? It has more than Dolly’s 2,500 tune-strong song book.

Is there a big flower that isn’t bountifully represented here?

Yes, everyone will point to the tuberose, but on closer examination there is gardenia, mimosa, ylang ylang, orchid and rose just as a start.

Then like every cocktail there are the mixers.

Here juice is very much to the fore, with the plum of the opening pairing off with violet to produce an accord that almost reads as juniper. Peach and cassis are just behind delivering a distinct overflowing fruitiness that threatens to but cannot succeed in overthrowing the flowers from their throne.

Oh and then there is the silage, let’s just say the volume’s turned up loud on this one.

Of course, people hate Amarige, sometimes one feels one ought to hate Amarige, so intense is the loathing set aside for it.

It is the kind of scent that folks are asked not to wear at work for fear of offending colleagues.
I feel colleagues should just realise it’s all a bit of self effacing fun.

The problem I can’t help feeling, the real reason why this fragrance gets such offensively bad reviews is that it’s simply not fashionable.

Once last time I’ll let Dolly do the talking for the scent:

“I'm not trying to be fashionable. Never was!”

*************

So, the big money question, can a man wear Amarige?

Probably. In the kind of bars where they played big-haired country music and knock back brightly coloured cocktails.

simz1232013
simz1232013

I first bought this perfume without smelling it and i was literally revolted when i smelt it at first i was pretty young and it stayed unused in my cupboard for like 4 years this year i started using it it needs a more mature person because the scent is very strong and womanly i feel like there is a sort of masculinity in it almost notes of ginger

Délicieux
Délicieux

Oh dear. Poor Crazykoffee! That sounds positively diabolical of your girlfriend to do that to you. (I mean, if your boyfriend doesn't like it why torture him?? Talk about sabotaging one's relationship.)

Ahem...I do love this. I will say that I wore it sparingly because it is indeed a silage beast. I have fond memories of being in college and feeling so grown up when I went out wearing this lovely fragrance. It always made me feel pretty and womanly. I do remember getting compliments on it. Not sure why I never bought it again. Hm, I think I might have to pick up a bottle just for old time's sake. However, I will steer clear of Crazykoffee if I do!

* Oh, and I forgot to say that sometimes I love the scent but don't care much for the name. In this case I adore the name and the fragrance! It just sounds so sexy when you say it.

paulie86
paulie86

I just got this from Loehmann's today and I love it! Amarige Mariage was my signature from my late teens to my early twenties and I noticed i've never tried the original until now. When I first sprayed Amarige I realized I smelled this perfume before back when I was a kid in the early 90's. Amarige starts off slightly heady with fresh floral and ripe fruity notes like fruit soaked in honey with a fermented wine undertone. It stays that way from the opening to the drydown where Amarige turns slightly peppery. If I had to compare Amarige to another perfume it would be Chloe Narcisse but without the plastic scent and over the top vanilla notes. Amarige is a soft airy womanly fragrance it's elegant and beautiful unlike Narcisse which on my skin smelled like glade lol.

I have the new one i'm assuming since it only says givenchy on the back of the box and all the information is printed on the bottom and says it's made by LVMH. Mine is more fruity and sweet compared to other testers i've tried that smell more floral but it's the same scent over all. I would love to try the vintage Amarige it was probably killer, death by femininity lol. Even though the one I have is soft I could see how it could give the wearer or people around them a migraine if over sprayed. Lasting power is okay it lasts a few hours before becoming a skin scent then fades away. I love this perfume and would buy it again when my big bottle runs out. I think Amarige Mariage suited me back in the day but the classic Amarige suits me now at this stage in my life.

Edit: I've been wearing Amarige non stop since i've got it and the more I wear it the more i've fallen in love with this perfume. Amarige is so sexy, romantic, and sensual i've also noticed as i've been wearing it that Amarige smells alot like pre reformulated Poison by Dior. With the scent of white florals and plums soaked in grapey spiced wine it's just lighter and fruitier and not as dark as poison but just as sexy with that sweet feminine musk undertone. I can also see how Mariage is related to this perfume with the soft spices and vanilla and sandalwood. I'm definitely going to pick up more bottles next payday because I never want to be without with gorgeous scent lol. Definitely added to the roster of perfumes I can see myself wearing for the rest of my life.

Mighty lion
Mighty lion

Been loving this scent for a long time! I'm a male who simply thinks this is a liquid aphrodisiac. So sensual, Just a pretty fragrance!! I think of romance and carnal desire when I smell this on a woman.. Hands down one of my all time fave scent for the ladies..Only for the sexy and sophisticated and those that want to be adored thoroughly from head to polished toe..

scentsforme

I went to try this at the store, really strong at first going on, but dry down is amazing. The lady said men really like this, she said a pilot guy will buy two bottles of this, one for his wife and another for his girlfriend. I said really, I'll try it.

UPDATE: amazing long long lasting sent!!! Really good in the fall/winter, will try in the spring/summer.

michelle.p.stpierre
michelle.p.stpierre

Nice perfume....but please for the love of mankind, don't, and I repeat don't, spray too much of this perfume on or you will leave a trail of knocked-out individuals in your wake. In fact, I wouldn't spray this directly on the skin because this is a very concentrated perfume. I made the mistake of spraying too much on my skin at home when I first got this. About an hour later I was in the shower like, "get it off, get it off!" Since then, I know one spray is enough for me and lasts all day. I actually spray it in the air and walk through it allowing the mist to fall on me. When worn like this, it's a much more enjoyable experience.

bailarina
bailarina

I just bought another one of this, I was missing it a lot. been waiting to wear it during Fall, and winter.
Poor crazykoffee, I would have feel the same way if somebody does that to me. I agree this perfume should be used lightly or else, haha.
My aunt gave it to me about 13 yeas ago, and I just loved it. She gave me a set of the Givenchy's Organza, Organza Indecence, Extravagance d'Amarige, and Ysatis minis. This one was my favorite. It's very strong and I always only used one spray. I recommend it because the sillage and longevity are so great. Also, if you like white sweet florals I think you would love this. Probably for people 30 and older, though I used it when I was 22.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

I liked crazykoffee's review. Oddly, I think Amarige smells almost exactly as he described, except that is why I love it! There is no accounting for taste, other than that I usually adore scents that could tactfully be described as "overpowering" lol.
The tuberose is not for the faint of heart, and Amarige is the strongest tuberose perfume around (other than the soliflora perfume oils that they sell in hippie shops and the like).The other notes are fairly strong as well.
Sadly, I have only been able to wear it when I try it in the store, as it's a bit pricey for me, and no one wants to buy it for me as everyone thinks it's too strong!
Update: I now have a small EDP bottle. Turns out I can't wear this at work, as two people sneeze. However, I know a fellow who LOVES tuberose so I shall wear Amarige with him.
Second update: This fellow LOVES Fracas, and I was trying to explain why Amarige is different from other tuberoses. I told him that Amarige smells like "Satan's own whorehouse"! This could be good or bad,depending on one's opinion, of course!

evesoho
evesoho

My family bought this for my mom as a Christmas gift the year it was released. I was 11, and I picked it out.

A year and a half prior, she had started a weight loss program with Nutri-System, and lost approximately 30 pounds. She wanted a new scent to go with her new body, essentially.

With the addition of Amarige and a new wardrobe she became like a movie star in my world. She was small, enigmatic and bright. Most importantly, she was full of joy and confidence. When I smell this perfume, I see her. In a knee-length, long sleeved black velvet dress and a short string of pearls with her short dark hair swept back in a wave, her irrepressible smile. I also see her in the palest pink brocade, off the shoulder, wearing diamonds and gold, beaming (perhaps a little desperately, I see now) from under a soft pixie cut.

She dabbed this perfume under her ears and on the inside of her wrists. Four dabs, that was all. I can't imagine anyone wearing more than that. After all, this perfume is in a fantastic mood and wants to tell the whole world with pride and parade.

My mother allowed me to wear this perfume liberally, and I wore it so much my parents bought me L'Air du Temps as a graduation gift that year, my first "grown up" perfume.

Some years later, she had lost much more weight, and with it most of her shape. There was something brittle about her, and she stopped wearing Amarige perfume. Soon my parents divorced.

Now, it's strange, she doesn't wear perfume at all. She never wears pink or black dresses. Only red or white. An enigma, my mother. Still so bright.

nomi77
nomi77

first i don't like it but the evening of the day i wore it. my husband liked it very much first time he asked me the name of perfume and i realized it became nice after some hours rather very nice now i am in love with it as i discovered the mystery that u should apply on ur dress 2'3 hours before the occasion

djuzz.becuzz
djuzz.becuzz

When I first sprayed this on my wrist to test I hated it! It was sooooo heavy, so overpowering and so dated to me! My boyfriend also pulled an ugly face when he smelled it on me. But yet... while we were still shopping... I kept smelling my wrist now and then and to my suprise it actually started to smell nice! I kept putting my wrist under my bf's nose, but he still couldn't stand the smell. While I started to like it more and more the longer it was on my skin! Most fragrances I test don't last very long on my wrists, but this one... it lasted... and lasted... and lasted...
I really adore the dry down of this scent, on me it stays floral with a slight sweet and woodsy touch which I can smell on me all day long, until I go to bed... and still get whiffs of it when I get up in the morning.
The first time I wore this to work, my colleagues smelled it immediately when I entered the room, it has a HUGE sillage! One male colleague kept following me everytime I passed by, just to smell the trail I left. He really liked it on me! I must have sprayed on a ''bit'' too much though back then, since it was one of my first experiences actually really wearing it.
Apply with a light hand and it is really gorgeous!

shannonny
shannonny

I'm sorry to hear that crazykoffee had such a tormented experience of this fragrance--it would be like trying to have a relationship with a chain smoker who refuses to quit ("I yam what I yam!"--Popeye).

On the other hand, I also understand his ex-squeeze's adoration of this scent. Heavily used, it could be too much: an almost tactile vapor of hyper-sweet white floral (and fruit, for many other wearers, just not me--my body doesn't pull any fruit but cantaloupe!). The first wave after spraying can mask even the smell of French roast coffee--I know, because I just heavily used it, and am drinking French roast coffee.

However, just a few minutes later, this tuberose-dominant sun begins to set. A tickle of a breeze, scented with tempering woods and musk, brings a few cool, dark clouds to a day becoming too warm. Dusk approaches and brings with it a lovely, soft undertone of old, cask-aged vanilla, in which the white flowers can lazily float.

Whether consciously or unconsciously, like most people, I use scent for aromatherapy. Today I'm having a meeting with my manager that I'm not looking forward to--frankly, I'm fearing it. As I gazed at my small collection of bottles, my hand moved toward Amarige: my most potent floral.

Today, I want the intense escape from the mental to the physical that heavy, sweet, white flowers allow. Not the nobility of a rose, nor the serenity of iris, nor the strength of carnation to approach the day on an intellectual, symbolic level: only the lose-yourself-in-my-sweetness of gardenia will do.

As I write, the initial "dousing" that raised the powerful arms of crazykoffee in surrender has ebbed. My mind is at ease. The white flowers are like a heartbeat of comfort, that with every rhythm of inhalation and exhalation send sweet, soothing molecules throughout my autonomic nervous system: the system that really needs comforting today, because it's where my subconscious lives.

My conscious, rational mind doesn't need Amarige today. It probably thinks I need something like Giorgio Beverly Hills Red, to meet the fear head-on. But my conscious mind is wrong, in this case. Sometimes white flowers know best.

Sh1rlG1rl
Sh1rlG1rl

@Crazykoffee. I so enjoyed your review I just had to take a moment to thank-you for the good chuckle. First off, I do not own, or have I ever owned "Amarige", so I cannot comment on it as this would be unfair. I know some Fragrantica readers could see your critique as a turn off to this perfume, but I am of the curious type (must have some feline ancestry)and now I must try it! I am guessing that you are a Canadian, as am I, and if you are not a professional writer, you could easily be, but now I (this should be in BOLD) digress.
Your review should stand as an example of how to really translate a dislike - OK loathing- of a concocted scent and make it about the perfume. You are not insulting or attacking the creators of "Amarige" or the company or even the individuals who like/love it. You are just telling the story of how this affected you emotionally and physically unfortunately, in a very negative way. This is what 'true' perfumes should evoke: feelings, memories, emotions, etc. Well done!

crazykoffee
crazykoffee

Pure and simple, I hated this perfume. I fell in love with a woman in the early 90s who had a proclivity for it. When we first dated, I (wrongly) assumed she would willingly accept and try the newer perfumes I would buy her, but no dice :( Not only did she literally douse herself in this unholy concoction, she would spray (read: "douse") her underwear and bed linens with it. She used it like an air freshener that was going to be taken off the market any moment! I would suffer from sneezing fits and headaches even before we went to bed. I found it to be annoyingly spicy-sweet like rotting fruit, cheap sherry and overly pungent with cinnamon and anise and TOTALLY over the top with floral notes with a little bit of baby vomit trapped in a hot car during the middle of a July heat wave with the windows rolled up. Further to my chagrin, this witch's brew projected forever! And I do mean forever! When I went out west to work in British Columbia, she would spray it on the correspondence she wrote me! No joke ( There was no internet back then, remember?)! The lady at the post office would smirk and pinch her nose when I'd pick up my mail. Her comments were not nice, to say the least. In the final stage of our relationship, I begged her NOT to wear this brain-numbing coma-inducer around me, but my pleas fell on deaf ears. How we lasted 4 years, god only knows. I can only say that this fragrance was pivotal in helping me decide to dump her ass. What kind of woman wears a perfume to spite her boyfriend? Last year, while flying back to Canada from Europe, I was imprisoned in the middle row of seats of a 767. My neighbor, a woman in her 40's, had apparently bathed in Amarige during the flight. Nooooooo! There was no Chloroform or chemical waste clean up kit in my medical kit bag, so I pleaded with the head stewardess to offer me alternate seating. She asked me why, and when I told her, her eyes rolled in disbelief. When she walked up the aisle where I was sitting, she stopped, did a double-take, looked at me again and then wrinkled her nose with a funny look on her face. I got a free first class upgrade. WITH champagne. Apparently, many women ALSO despise this fragrance. Point made, I digress.

Ponyfields
Ponyfields

If I had to describe this perfume in one word it would be 'haunting' because it's unpleasant and, like the eerie warnings written in blood on the walls, impossible to scrub off.

beatrix75
beatrix75

i love this parfume soo much!!!its so feminine strong and longlasting really good fume with extrem elegant and sophistic smell ,smell av diva

sally.west1
sally.west1

Amarige - always loved the name and the juice! So enveloping and mellow with a powerful white flower hit and a sumptuous spicy drydown. A strong scent - not for the fainthearted but I loved it in the 90's and although some would say its a little dated now, I still wear it when I want to make an impression!

joliecat
joliecat

Amarige is a very very strong, soapy, heavy perfume. Extremely strong heavy mixtures of Tuberose, Gardenia and Plum are continuously noticeable throughout the drydown. Cassia gives Amarige a little touch of spice. And yes, the thick, heavy enduring Plum in Amarige is very similar to the Plum found in Dior's Poison.
Amarige is rather darkly sweet and fruity, not at all frilly candy sweet or gourmand. Amarige smells truly vintage. Not as sweet and powdery as Raffinee by Houbigant, but Amarige is definitely in the same mature vintage family as Raffinee... with multiple super thick, strong heavy florals mixed together. Very little goes a long long way, and lasts until you wash it off.
Note: If you're looking for a gentler, still very spicy floral without the heavy Plum note, try Tanglewood Bouquet by The Crown Perfumery. Tanglewood sprays on loud and intense, but within minutes settles down to a soft floral spicy, long lasting skin scent, not at all powdery.

isdemary91
isdemary91

Me encanta el olor a nardo, pero no la volvería a comprar. Una fragancia muy comercial y término por fastidiarme.

RGR
RGR

A picky perfume! It chooses you I swear! This perfume to me is just sensual on the right person. If you have what it takes this scent will make you stand out and glow amongst a crowd. I guess some people hate this perfume because they apply this as if it were body splash which is just awful, headache inducing and just plain mean.You either spray this and walk through the mist or apply a little amount to pulse points. If you feel as if you can't handle the strength of this perfume I would recommend trying the perfumed body lotion because it is also wonderful.

Amarige is truly a unique perfume. I smell white flowers, roses and fruity notes in the first phase.The fruity notes give it a tart sweetness. This is classy.
Tuberose and jasmine are my favorite notes in this process. Its almost soapy. Then it surprises the wearer with amber, vanilla and sandalwood. I enjoy this dry down so much. The jasmine and tuberose keep reminding you that they are still here all through the day. This perfume lasts forever! And when applied to hair it lingers and drives men crazy.

cyprusmum

Tested some a few weeks ago and it's definitely on my Christmas list! It embraces you with flowers. Can't stop sniffing my wrist type of fragrance. It doesn't seem to last too long on me, but I will still purchase a bottle. It makes me think of Spring gardens. Lovely!

alchimia72

This is one of the best floral fragrance I have, It smells great on me and I receive a lot of compliments when I wear it. I love it.

guillermostf
guillermostf

i think the trouble with this parfum are the alternative versions of it, called somethin' like "Amarande", "Amerindia" and stuffs like that. The point is the own nose mix the real and the false one, and surprise, the original one lost credibility, passion and last being not so original altough it is the real one. Wearing a little few drops, any woman will smell great. 3 stars. moderate longevity, but it depends of the skin

Rawannnna
Rawannnna

very loud ! something about it is not right! the notes dont mix that well, I think its a " confused" perfum

koudelkabr
koudelkabr

I love this perfume but unfortunately in my skin
it doesn't smeel so good... I even bought it (because I reaaally love it) but its impossible for me to use...

dezaval
dezaval

As I've written in my review for Clinique's Simply fragrance, the first time I smelled Amarige, I had the hiccups! Yes! And that was the reason I bought it! This is a very interesting combination of floral and woody essences. It's...how can I call it...so french! Chic and addictive, rich and elegant, a really worth-to-have perfume. I would mostly recomend it for autumn and winter. Great for everyday use and for a night out, as it gets so mysterious and sophisticated. I think it's the sort of fragrance that a dynamic yet feminine woman would wear...

julaur
julaur

I love the smell but unfortunately give me headache. I use to wear that a lot, but after I start have migraine, I can not wear anymore.

AddictedToLife
AddictedToLife

Very sophisticated and long lasting

LaPetite
LaPetite

I've always wanted to love this scent , because of the name , the TV and magazine ad , but couldn't .
For so many years i found it ( sorry in advance) grannish . Same about Lancôme's Poême ( i think they have a lot in common)
And just like for Poême , i now start to love it now ( maybe there was a reformulation that made it closer from my taste ?)
This afternoon i went to the perfume shop to buy some blush , and ask the seller to scent me with Amarige , i can still smell it, the lasting power is good , really !
it's sooooo flowery and yet complex , romantic , but with a big personality , not agross flower perfume like there is so many ...
After a few hours however, it becomes less flowery , sweeter , but NOT gourmand or foody .
Definitely a classical !

mimikins24
mimikins24

Another 1990's perfum I decided to go back and try again.

Beginning I definitely get the plum and violet notes, but quickly moves on to a sweet white floral, heavy on the tuberose. I do get the creamy basenotes of amber and vanilla.

The fragrance is so familiar --- I recall having a cheap drugstore scent as a young teen that reminds me of this. I believe it was called "Wildheart"?

I do like this perfume and find it sophisticated and very feminine, but perhaps too feminine for me on a regular basis. Seems like more of a special occassion or romantic vacation scent.

ViciousDelicious
ViciousDelicious

I think this is a nice, elegant fragance, but I just can't stand it for more than an hour. Its waaay to sweet for me.

nesca1502
nesca1502

I had this perfume as a teenager, 2 bottles in total, and I absolutely loved it! I wore it almost every day to High School and got a lot of compliments. However, I smelled this recently on a colleague and it just wasn't the same, it had a bit of a "cheap" quality I disliked, it was almost as it went out of style. I guess my tastes have changed...

Buckshot
Buckshot

Amarige! Wow, what can I say. Used a total of three bottles. Nice to start with, but then got really bored. Could have something to do with the fact that many similar items later appered on the market, plus there is now a wide variety of new wide and 'wacky' scents to choose from. I see this perfume reaching 'classic' status at some later date. Might just return it one day, who knows?

trishar
trishar

So much going on and all delicious. A little goes a (very) long way and the dry down is seductive. I am normally drawn to fresh clean scents but this one is reserved for grown up fun. Long live the 90's and merci beaucoup to Givenchy.

susana75
susana75

Used this perfume long time ago, today got a bottle and am wearing it now
,love it reminds me of my honeymoon.

DaiaGomes
DaiaGomes

If you don't like floral fragances, don't take this one. It's definetely one of my favorite! Long long lating! Strong also. A delicate person doesn't match with the fragance. It was made to be used by strong personality people. Mature people would be more appropriate! I've been using it for years. Never regreat to buy a new bottle!

Ana_Raio
Ana_Raio

It is a radiant floral. Is saved in my "bag of memories" ... great for a night out.

É um floral radiante. Está guardado no meu "baú de recordações"... ótimo para sair à noite.

Cameopetals
Cameopetals

Amarige by Givenchy is a classic, fail safe, must have in your waredrobe! Every man (not boy) love this on a woman (not girl). Longevity, but also consistant in strength...its a 10 all day, solid and clean. I wouldn't recommend this during the summer, as body oils and sweat will turn this fragrance a different direction.

ketchup38
ketchup38

I never 'got' this perfume when younger.. It wasn't until recently that this scent turned out to be the bridge that would take me away from my past bubblegum, scented, sweet arsenal of fragrances. Ahh.. now I get it. This is maturity, timelessness and self-assuredness in a bottle.
I always get complimented with this one. Do they still make em' like this?

redbionicle
redbionicle

I used this perfume long ago and i remember I always recieved compliments. I can't find it anywhere in the stores nowadays, so I'm looking for an alternative with the same feminine longlasting impressing room filling scent...

francisrose
francisrose

Amarige is a heady floral with copious amounts of tuberose throughout the entire experience. This opens with a cloud of tuberose,and a hint of peaches. More florals join in and finally the musk and vanilla calm them down. The drydown of this perfume is absolutely lovely and I cannot keep from smelling my wrist periodically. Warm, floral and soothing. It is beautiful. Amarige is unabashedly feminine, womanly, and I love it for that.

Justinjade
Justinjade

Wow! I appreciate this perfume now that I've become more "mature" and "sophisticated" - exact words of my hubby. I love the roundness of this scent - so floral and captivating. Sadly, I tried the edt once, but it does not compare to the bomb the edp gives. And since I can no longer find this "elegant eau du parfum" in our local perfume stores, I will have to use it only on very special occasions and enjoy every drop.

Migalex
Migalex

What I like about this perfume is the texture. It does have a full, pulpy rather than juicy, round opulent ripe fruity texture. It makes me think of a juicy watery pulp of a fruit.To me it smells very much of bergamot, although it is not listed in its notes. It smells of rotten tangerine and although I do not, at a conscious level, like the scent of bergamot that much, I do appreciate it at an unconscious level and do love at least one perfume which smells of it even more than this one, Ted Lapidus Creation. Apart from its texture, which I find really special and unique, and I really reallly like, I am not very fond of the scent in itself.

Yes, "Amarige" is really "Mariage"!!! A Mariage of flowers !!

So if you don't like florals (especially tuberose) don't go anywhere near this one.

Me??? I just LOVE it !!! And, fortunately, so does my hubby.

It's very original, even though it does have some similarity to Poeme.
There's nothing artificial about this timeless classic, and just a little squirt lasts forever and ever.

Bulu
Bulu

I got a bottle of this when I was about 18, I do remember the smell fondly, but have never gone back to it because OH MY GOD it is really overpowering (especially on a young girl I think.)

An older female relative realized I was wearing it and told me that it was a perfum, "men give to their mistresses." Whether or not that is true I have no idea, but it made me smile.

Iva Vendetta
Iva Vendetta

Finally! First, let me say that I completely agree with "ropasho"'s review.
I was sad last year when Givenchy was bought out and my standards were lost in the shuffle. Being "Le De" & "L'Interdit". My father gave me "Le De" for my 16th birthday and I never looked back.
Last month I went vaguely perfume shopping and briefly fell in with "Truth or Dare", which smelt so dark, dangerous, and FLORAL. As I wrote in my reviews, it ended being the kind of perfume you'd wear while involved with a married man as it would definitely be left on his shirt as a tag. It dried down to NJ chemicals and I had to wash my hair immediately as it gave me a migraine.
Yesterday, I was looking for Ysatis (yes, yes I'm hooked on Givenchy) none. But there, reading a book, was Amariage. Then I remembered I'd had a small gift bottle years ago and loved it. Sprizted it on and voila! Boom, crash, opera! Gardenia, tuberose, and everything else surrounded me. Bought 2 bottles and body cream.
It's the first time my ex noticed me as we live in the same apt. complex. A little girl asked what smelled so good. Enveloped in a cloud of flowers even upon waking this morning.
I love it and this is my new marker. Especially the orange flowers that make me think of spring in the desert, gardenias dancing,what a grand cape to wear.
I've never smelled "Carnal" by Malle, but the thought of eucalyptus in all that florality doesn't click.
This is "Gilda" in a bottle.

reavyan
reavyan

After knowing this scent for years from endless paper samples in 90s fashion and beauty mags I finally decided to have a 'real' sniff.

So there I am at Shoppers, (for migraine pills, ironically), and I pass by the perfume isle. What better opportunity?

Well... what's to say? It has all been said, so I merely add my own drop of opinion to the sea.

Flowers, flowers and more flowers. Oh, and did I mention flowers? If -this- was called "Flowerbomb" it would be completely appropriate.

The smell is not unpleasant, but it should absolutely come with a CAUTION: Possible Overdose label, because this can easily get out of hand. Amarige has a loudness that perfumes from the 80s and early 90s have, that unmistakable POW which I can't help but miss when passing by yet another generic and forgettable fruity-floral.

There is no modern androgeny here, Amarige is pure woman. She isn't mysterious, or sultry but she's certainly not a wallflower. She's fun, vivacious and brings the party with her.

And if you want to get down to the dollars and cents of it, you get good value. Unlike the bland little concoctions that are so popular now and need to be sprayed multiple times to get any projection, one spritz of Amarige is -more- than enough to last you all day.

On a personal level, it's just too sweet and too floral for my liking. I like flowers, but I don't want to become a walking floral shop. Also, it's just too loud. It starts out tuned up to 11 and maybe settles down to a nine many hours later. I cannot see myself wearing this ever again, yet I can't say I hate it. It's pretty, just not for me.

Final verdict: The coconuts, manoges, and prailines of today will fade into oblivion, while this heady floral will hold on to its notoriety. Love it or hate it, Amarige is here to stay.

Platinum_girly
Platinum_girly

My ex-boyfriend bought this for me when i was 18, he was Egyptian and loved the exotic floral smell of it, to me it is overpowering and smells TOO much of flowers, almost like sticking your head in a giant bouquet and not removing it for hours on end. I only wore it to please him and was so glad when we broke up so i could bin the bottle...

mell
mell

my all time favourite and i have dozens of fragrances everybody loves this on me i receive many compliments and i have never had one negative comment it makes me happy just thinking about it it lifts your soul to another level

bubububzy
bubububzy

Oh what a delight to wear this. It is a very mature scent but I feel so elegant when I wear this. A light handed couple of sprays will go a long way.

Aureliev
Aureliev

Josh, what a beautiful description i really identify to!!!

Always surprised t see how much we connect fragrances to memories...I really see the souvenir of that time. I love Savage garden too and now i probably remember this image when i will smell Amarige which is a GREAT perfume!

pfcs
pfcs

This a a warm, elegant perfume that always gets compliments.

smellitivity
smellitivity

I felt mainly ylang ylang in Amarige. With the help of the rest of the bouquet, the result is chemical and strong, complex and fresh.
It's hard to like this one I think, especially if - like me - you're not into heavy florals. I like the straightforward and intense attitude though.

CitiBelle
CitiBelle

I normally wear this in the cooler months, but this was one of those damp dismal early summer days. I had forgotton how much I liked this. Rich and spicy with a great sillage, 10 hrs later it still lingers, warm and creamy, I can smell the plums which I didnt detect at the start. An old favourite.

slgonzal
slgonzal

I have to say, I am suprised by the negative feedback about this perfume. I suppose no perfume can satisfy everyone; there are also perfumes which I loathe, but many people love them. I am definitely in love with this perfume! A small bottle was given to me by a friend. I have since used it all up and purchased a huge bottle that will last me for a long while hopefully.

I have always tried to find the perfumes that have a woody, musky, sandalwood, or cedar type scent. I have liked Guess (the original), Obsession, and even the main scent from Poison. I hate overpowering scents and this is definitely something one can overdo, but if you just spray one small spray, it is beautiful. It makes me feel good and I love to smell it. And my husband likes it!

maianh83
maianh83

Amarige starts off rather like Lancome Poeme but without lots of Narcissus. The drydown of Poeme is dominated by Vanilla, while the drydown pf Amarige is way more sophisticated.
Because I am not a big fan of Vanilla, I prefer Givenchy Amarige to Lancome Poeme, though, Poeme is great !

foxy_princess

Warm.. Sophisticated...Elegant yet loud at the same time. I really like this scent but it's somewhat hard to pull off as I wouldn't want to wear this on a day to day basis, but for special occasions only as it's a very rich and lingering scent. I wear it when I want to feel classy and it's perfect for autumn/winter as the drydown to me is rather spicy than floral.
You can really smell heavy tuberose, cassia and gardenia in this one but that's all smoothed out by the tonka bean, vanilla and woodsy notes.
Longevity is amazing! 8 hours at least from just 3-5 sprays

pum.ohse
pum.ohse

I love this perfume. Its elegant and original at the same time. A classic. I don't find it really strong. The mimose note make me remember my childwood, what i love. I don't like the beginning, but the drydown is amazing. Wait half an hour and you will see.

louanna
louanna

Amarige makes me smile, for me it's a happy scent. In a way it reminds me of a scent of a peach cobbler. It is powerful, yes, but it is beautiful and comforting. Love it!

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

Amarige is a tuberose lovers scent. There is NO WAY you're going to enjoy this stuff otherwise, its big, round, and very very forward...and I mean Texas sized way. But it is a product of its time (early 90's)

If you can get an older bottle, thats what I would recommend. I've tried the newer one and I have to say there's quite a marked difference at least to my nose and it has a sour edge I never found in the older bottles either(but maybe the older bottle had a chance to mellow...lol)

Its just not going to suit everyone, and certainly, in heat it can be extremely cloying. I don't recommend it for super hot weather.

This is a scent that 1-2 sprays is all you will EVER need More than that and it can be overkill.

gatsby
gatsby

sorry for Givenchy but this is maybe the worst scent they ever created. it s simply obnoxious, it s like a histerical scream. It makes me sick when I accidentally meet this scent, horrifying !

eunicemichelle
eunicemichelle

I never thought I could dislike a perfume so much.It is so vulgar and loud. It is hard to believe it was created by the man who gave us Carnal Flower and Ysatis. The only time I put it on I had to take a shower two hours later.I then applied Shalimar and was on cloud nine for the rest of the day

amelie
amelie

Yes, it's loud. A rich classic floral, still can't believe I used so many bottles and I couldn't get enough. It must have been difficult for all arround me. There is nothing woody in it, nor musky. It's all about flowers, a bunch of flowers, and it's all mixed...a bit of everything and it works so well.
Then again, I fell in love with Estee Lauder fragrances and I am not surprised why. Amarige is a class, but not for all those who love floral fragrances.
Flowerbomb is a floral in a modern way, Amarige is old school. And here lies the difference.

Filigree
Filigree

This one was WAY too loud for me when I first tried it at the ripe old age of eighteen. I remember spraying a full pump on myself and within an hour, I felt nauseous and had a migraine. I felt sick for days and thought I could smell it even showers later.

Years later, feeling adventurous (or masochistic), I spritzed the tiniest little spritz on my wrist and rubbed it between my other. I fell in love. This is how I wear this now (just three or four of the tiniest drops from the spray!), and can clearly smell what the creators were trying to get across. It's rich and warm and elegant and just...lovely. I will wear this year 'round, but It's especially perfect for autumn, when the air starts to cool and the leaves change colors. this is warm and comforting.

I don't like to walk in a cloud of perfume wherever I go and people who do usually find me moving away rather quickly as I can be very sensitive to fragrances. I like a fragrance to be smelled by a surprise whiff now and then or by my husband when he's close. I want it to gently compliment my own, natural fragrance, not compete with it. This fragrance, applied sparingly, does just that.

claudja smeller
claudja smeller

(ENGLISH)

One can comment on Amarige: Oh what a headache!!

(PORTUGUESE)

Único comentario possível sobre Amarige: Ai que dor de cabeça!!!!

Zephyrae13
Zephyrae13

Whoah, this is indeed a powerhouse floral. I have a vivacious va va voom personality, but this is death by scent! This smells nothing like any of these flowers listed in real life, and the chemicals gives me a fierce headache to boot. how did people stand to wear these back in the day? They must have not had noses! I'd suffocate everyone around, including me! You must have had to grow up with these to appreciate them. Not a safe blind buy, try first people!

Debshee
Debshee

Loved it "back in the day". Very different from anything i had worn, but eventually I found it too strong and too sweet. I wonder if perfumes back then were so strong because so many people smoked and had weaker senses of smell. Seems many more people have allergies these days. I'm sure many coworkers (sharing the open space cubicle wasteland I work in) would hack their brains out if I wore this to work. Might be fun to wear it just for that reason. :-D

nopasho
nopasho

WARNING! LONG REVIEW AHEAD!!

‘Flowers... are a proud assertion that a ray of beauty out values all the utilities of the world.’ Ralph Waldo Emerson.
‘Perfumes are the feelings of flowers.’ Heinrich Heine.
‘Flowers seem intended for the solace of ordinary humanity.’ John Ruskin.
'The flower is the poetry of reproduction. It is an example of the eternal seductiveness of life.' Jean Giraudoux
If you want a one word review, like it is the trend here now: ‘Glorious.’ Or ‘Opulent’. Two words: ‘Absolutely fabulous.’ , ‘A Masterpiece’. Three words: ‘True flower triumph’, ‘Rich, creamy, unforgettable’. Longer: 'They Don’t Make ‘Em Like This Anymore'. BTW, I'm no granny. I'm in my 30's. And a man to boot! So underage 'Britney's' 4U: I'm an Old Man praising an old lady frag. I write in long sentences with long words, I like to explain things and I don't use sms-symbols. Am I allowed?

'This is a horrible floral in an old lady kind of way. Eeeeeeh so awful'. A quote from a review these days about another fragrance. So young reviewers in this vein: sorry to bother you with my longer reviews. It must be premature dementia. You go on insulting older people, I'll stick with the fragances. Deal?

This is the power, the passion and the beauty of flowers.! This is: destination 'flower-Shangri La' asap without detours. This is flower paradise. Eve giving not an apple but Amarige to Adam to seduce him to do the unthinkable. And God, being a fan of born again Britney S. and deeply religious Jessica S., sends Eve the fallen femme fatale with her Amarige (and Adam, almost forgot him!) away from paradise. But luckily Eve keeps on to her own paradise in a bottle: 'Amarige'. One thing: if you don’t like flowers or like them artificially made and sugared into diabetic coma, avoid ‘Amarige’. Please! Don’t torture yourself! This is purest and strongest white flower fragrance on the market since 1991. Awesome in its strength and merciless execution. Flowers that grow and smell into heaven and can seduce you into sweet hell. You want flowers? You get flowers! This is the TNT of white flower fragrances! Straight up. No chaser. Pure and unadulterated. A shot of concentrated flowers. No excuses, not drastically strong counter measures to dampen the flower-domination like ‘eucalyptus’ in one of the best post 2000 white flowers ‘Carnal Flower ‘ by Frédéric Malle or the licorice in Lolita Lempicka’s non conventional white flower of the 90’s. Here it is: Pow!, Bam!!, Wham!!! Whoosh!!! It will nail you to the ground and glue your nose to your wrist. You will sniff your wrist like a coke addict sniff his fist line when he relapses after a year of rehab. This is the hard rock version of white flowers. The AC/DC (Grandpa's!) of flowers combined with the feel for beauty of a Renoir an d Van Gogh. In fact this is the olfactory version of Van Gogh’s Irises, Sunflowers, Vase of Flower, Field of Flowers… It is perfume art of the highest level that appeals to a big audience because it is utterly beautiful and accessible, meaning, pleasing to the nose and wearable. This Superflower-liquid explosive comes to rescue you from mercilessly generic and uninspiring cloned celeb ‘fruitie sweetie flower’ scents that have nothing to do with flowers, except their cheap ‘Made in Sweatshop-countries’ artificial flower-‘extracts’. Extracted not from real flowers but from chemical compounds, that is.

‘Amarige’ doesn’t give a breeze about the relentless flooding of the market of artificial fruitie insults to natures real flowers. ‘Amarige’ is straight up good ole boys and women strong real flowers with personality and ego to the hilt. If you are smart enough to put an age on flowers (that means you must be very, very smart giving an age to a fragrance!) you could say this is an ‘flowery old lady frag’. Ironic, really, considering that flowers are the young sprouts of plants. To insult and condemn strong flowers fragrance as ‘old lady frags’, well it is the prerogative of ‘naïve’ youth to say anything. Dumb or smart. It’s up to you take the insults to the real fragrance power of flowers in the celeb scents or just ignore them like you do with a toddler whining: ‘Veggies are not sweet enough. I want candy!’. Believe it or ignore it.

‘Amarige’ is not for the faint of heart, for dainty noses or lovers of artificial flower extracts. This is like a big real flower festival concentrated in one bottle. This fragrance will rock your socks off Led Zeppelin (Grandpa's!) juggernaut and gonzo-style if you like your flowers served in your face. Rock' Rolle. Who was it with his 'Rock'n Rose'? Valentino? Well 'amargie' is from a different caliber. Without a wig and what you see is what you get. Not too much frillies, no fuzz, not too much drama, nothing to give it a carnal twist, nothing much to deter from its goals: flower, flowers, flowerz. The pure adulterated beatufy of flowers-on-parade. If fragrances would be magazines, this is a like a skin mag: what you see is what you get. And not too much airbrusing or photoshop like the pic of Mariah Carey on Lollipop and Britney on her bottles of syrup. There is no dressing up of the flowers here, the flowers are shown in all their naked glory and other things only are props to let the flowers shine, dazzle and almost blind you by their glory. Like Playboy-models are almost ‘too much woman’ ‘Amarige’ balances on the fine line between just enough bare flower and flower overdose. You can get off on ‘Amarige or you can say it is a decadent devil’s creation. If flower fragrances are cups, this is a DD, with Katy Perry’s Purr and all modern floral fruities an A+. This is another original ‘Flowerbomb’. ‘Amarige’ is opulence and voluptuousness. And like in all great, original fragrances, the concept (‘white flowers to the hilt’) here is created without compromises. Like the Jasmine in ‘Alien’, the ‘Almond’ in Hypnotic Poison, the licorice in Lolita Lempicka’ is executes seamlessly, without compromises. It is a deliberately: ‘Love it or hate it’-flower fragrance in all its ‘take no prisoners’ glory. I dare everybody and her granny and her dog to spray this potent ‘Amarige’ on the left wrist and then the much more hyped and much more expensive ‘Flowerbomb’ on the right wrist. Then you can judge. About strongness, about the real scent of real flowers about, ‘bombness’, bang for your buck, about quality and about the hollow hype that is called 'Flowerbomb'. 'Amarige', like it or love it, is a phenomenon. A muscleman made out of female flower-potency. This is the ‘female Viagra’ of flower fragrances. If as a flower lover smell this fragrance it and doesn’t get you up or excited or as a man, you don’t get it up, it leaves you cold, you must be dead.
When we look at this wonder of relatively straight-on flower-fortitude, we shouldn't be surprised. The creator is none other than the undisputed flowermeister himself: the one and only formidable Dominique Ropion ('Alien': jasmine, 'My Queen' parma violet, 'Euphoria' orchid, 'Lady Million 2010': African orange flower and gardenia…) Ropion and flowers is like painter Picasso and his model/love Dora Maar: passion, abandon and great art for everyone to enjoy. It is more head on than Ropion’s other flower masterpieces like 'Carnal Flower' and as strong as 'Alien'. ‘Amarige’ is the giant of flower vehemence and vigor. For this fragrance you have to love flowers. If you detest flowers, if you want yoiur flowers diluted by fruit and vanilla and sugar: pass on! These are ‘real’ flowers. Not synthetic and artificially sweetened flower extracts like in the ‘c-word frags’, but real essential oil flower fragrance. You can't really compare flower fruities with this. Do you compare a zircon (artificial diamond) with a real diamond? I don't.

Strange name? It is an anagram of 'mariage'. The concept is that this very strong perfume could conjure up the equally strong emotions of your marriage day where you walk on clouds of happiness, bliss and felicity, with high hopes and dreams, not knowing that the 7 year itch will end your marriage in a bitter divorce. For some. 'Amarige’ is a haze of over-the top happiness like on your wedding day. It is an almost overwhelming joy. Like in 'Carnal flower', Ropion’s other flower tour de force, the mighty tuberose is here the start. But in 'Carnal flower' Ropion kicked the ego of the tuberose in place with coconut and eucalyptus, here he gives the tuberose much more space to dominate the other notes. And there are many other flower notes. 'Amarige' is an über white floral. It has a lot of different flowers. And then some more. Here the motto was clearly: 'a lot is good, more is even better.' 'Amarige' (1991) preceded 'Carnal Flower' (2005) with some 15 years. And you smell it. The Ropion of CF is older and wiser than the Ropion of ‘Amarige’. He has matured and become more nuanced. Older and wiser. Like a granny. He’s less bold and linear. In 'Amarige' it is still: 'All systems go!’. And let the merciless tuberose free to send the message: 'Attention, powerful floral -me, me, me- coming! Get out of the way or be crushed.' 'Amarige' is heavenly flowers without compromises and detours. This is no gang bang of flowers but a choreographed love theatre. A ménage à 12 flowers. If you like flowers, you'll get off on this. The flowers are so strong that it borders on an abstract flower fragrance.

It was launched by Givenchy in 1991 and is still going extremely strong on its 20th anniversary. It is still a hit with brides on their wedding day. If you are looking for a sillage monster, 'Amarige' is the place to be. It has no twists like its bad sister 'Poème', it is not intricate and subdued and brooding like 'Carnal flower', it is not strangely otherworldly like 'Alien', but it is 'earthy flowers rule. And if you don't like it, you'll be closed up in caramela-vanilla-fruit hell. Like all Ropion’s fragrances, it is high quality. A little goes a long way. It has a sillage to empty a convention hall in a nanosecond, longevity to give your granny a fourth life to keep pestering all these kids with their childish ‘Fantasy’ and Play Doh fumes, for a lot of years. Perfectly balanced and yes, mixed just right. It is so dense floral without much subtleties, but that delivers big time. If you want flowers, you get flowers. And then some! This mocks all so called contemporary weak florals smell and unmasked them like the hoax they are: watered down toddlers flower perfumes ( a few crushed rose petals in a lot of even cheaper alcohol, made of equally cheap artificial ingredients and diluted so as to make the shareholders more money. ‘Amarige’ stands tall. Maybe it is a teensy bit less powerful than in 1991, but it still knocks you and the passers-by straight in flower bliss. 'Amarige' makes no excuses for that. And it has been rewarded by a huge following of women of all ages who love straight forward high grade and fine quality flower fragrances. This is no Dana's 'Classic Gardenia' or Victoria's Secret 'Heavenly flowers'. ‘Amarige’ has much more meat on her bones. A lot of meat. No Siberian anorectic supermodel will wear this, but voluptuous, real, flesh and blood women. This is not a hype, it is a creation that shouts: 'I am a flower lover, and damn those trendsetters. I like this and who are you to shove 'Purr' down my throat. I like my flowers real, thank you very much.' It is a voluptuous even libidinous, Rubenesque fragrance: the more the merrier. It is a phenomenon and a cult favorite. So bull's eye for the house of Givenchy and nose Ropion.

Let's analyze this real flowerbomb.
Top: Peach, violet, orange blossom, plum, mandarin, neroli, rosewood
Middle: (deep breath here): Red Berries, mimose, tuberose, carnation, black currant, gardenia, black locust, cassia, orchid, rose, jasmine, ylang ylang
Top: Tonka bean, sandalwood, vanilla, musk, cedar, amber, woody notes.

That's a total of 27 notes of which 12 of the strongest flowers! More flowers and it is pure flower extract or drowning in a pool of pure flower juice. It has the almost same strong base as its sister fragrance 'Poème' which has more contrast and unusual notes and its more deep and 'interesting'. As with all of Ropion’s fragrances this has a rock hard base, the pillar of trust, the base where you can count on. Tonka been (deep, dark nutty),vanilla to give even more deepness, musk and a strong contingent of wood: sandalwood, cedar, woody notes to take on the potentially strangulating hug of the gargantuan middle flower commando. Amber is there as rounded lubricant to bring all the notes of the base together as an opposing force against the formidable flower sway and swagger of the middle. STRIKE ONE!
The middle is the heart of 'Amarige'. It goes for the jugular without any detours, contrasts or elements that leads it astray from the goals a glorious strong white flower fragrance. Mimose, Tuberose, Gardenia, Orchid, Rose, Ylang Ylang, Jasmine. Man! Have you ever seen these together. Of course, the cannibalize each other partially. And that is deliberately done by Ropion. Meanwhile, he subverts the potentially suffocating flower raid and charge and occupation of the whole of 'Amarige' by sneekily smuggling in the slightly bitter carnation STRIKE TWO!!, the black locust, plant that whose sap smells like wet, cut grass and with s slightly woody note (that attaches itself to the woody base to subvert the flower hegemony in the middle) STRIKE THREE!!!. It is like Ron Paul driving a wedge between Romney and Sanctorum in the Republican nominations. Divide and conquer, Ropion!!! Go get them tiger! Then the sour/fresh black currant subverts further the über florals. STRIKE FOUR!!!! And to put the cherry on the cake in this floral middle: cassia. Cassia is known as 'false cinnamon' or 'Chinese cinnamon'. It has a warm, pungent spicy smell that against subverts the 'seven member dictatorship' of Mimose, Tuberose, Gardenia, Orchid, Rose, Ylang Ylang, Jasmine. STRIKE FIVE!!!!!
That leaves us the top notes to deal another death blow to the ‘suffocation supremacy’ of those seven flowers that combined are a truly gargantuan flower force. Enter the top SWAT team and the Special Forces of plum, orange blossom, mandarin, violet, peach, neroli, Brazilian rosewood. The rosewood makes out immediately with the cassia in the middle and all the wood in the base and forms a formidable dry woody alliance. STRIKE SIX!!!!!! The Orange blossom and mandarin shack up together and from the other side attack the density of the flowers. STRIKE SEVEN!!!!!!!. The violet pushes the flower blitzkrieg of the middle definitively another step back. Violets have a slightly bitter, powdery smell on their own. But like coconut, they also have the ability to lessen and neutralize for a part the ‘too-much’ super strength off other fragrance notes. So the shrinking violet eat away to at the ‘seven deadly flower-force’ STRIKE EIGHT!!!!!!!!

After all these counterattacks, a delicate balance between the ‘seven flower power’ and the rest is reached. ‘Amarige’ stays strongly in flower territory, but a flower overdose is avoided. Instead we get a beautiful, rounded but super strong white floral. A real Marriage fragrance, right! Amarige has the feel, grace and power a wedding bouquet. It is left to the meaty and quite neutral smelling plum and neroli to give a shine, give a rounded sheen and polishes everything up after this battle of the Allied Flower forces (AFF) and the opposing Allied forces of Violet-Orange blossom/Mandarin-Woody-cassia-black currant-carnation-rosewood-woody base. And peach as cherry on the cake smoothes the last resistance of the too strong flowers over. That is called 'a happy end', in the perfume trade. And in the massage business, but that’s another story.

Anyway the user of Amarige can rest assured: Ropion did a job well done and a balanced the flowers out reasonable and classy. No radical solution like eucalyptus in Ropion’s ‘Carnal Flower’, but a mainstream charmer, a classy floral with a strongness that has no equals in contemporary flower frags.
So upon the base we get that mix of 8 strong white flowers barely distracted by the other notes like cassia and the sour-y black currant and red berries. The provide a bit of shelter from the massive flower assault but not much. The poor cassia is trampled underfoot by the tuberose, gardenia, ylang ylang and their allies. Can the top leads us a bit astray from the straight flower blitzkrieg? Not really. Neroli, violet and orange blossom even bulk the flower attack up, the peach mandarin and plum give it more meat and lessen the pure flower power a bit but not much, and only the lonely rosewood has to try to quiet the flowers down a bit. Without much success. ‘Amarige’ is still a turbo-flower-fragrance. Ropion carried the concept 'flowers to the max' out with steely determination and craftsmanship. If you want flowers, you get them! The sillage is grand, the longevity about as strong as an Arabian attar, the balance between the notes is perfectly rounded and the mixing is done toi perfectionist Givenchy standards. This is no one note pony, but a one category (white flowers) pony.

Because 'Amarige' is still a sure fire hit with brides and bridezillas alike, Mr Ropion: a job well done! But because of the too linear one dimensional approach –‘flowers, flowers, flowers and more flowers’- it will never be A Classic or A Dark Mysterious Masterpiece like your ‘Carnal Flower’. But it is A Hit, A Phenomenon, A Blockbuster as successful as Hypnotic Poison but instead of unabashed vanilla-nutty it is unashamedly flowery. And a flower lover’s dream. Youngsters: before you buy a weak fruity floral that you have to spray constantly to keep smelling something, try a drop of ‘Amarige’, you'll be blown out of your first printed-with-flowers padded bra. And that is not an observation, it is a promise!

Matusha
Matusha

I have tried lots of Givenchy over the years and this one is just not my style. Its loud Loud LOUD!!! It almost gives me a headache after the first spray. Any more than that and I need a migraine pill! I am one of those ladies who cannot wear it. Dont get me wrong, it is very good for the right woman. If your boss is a man, wear it to his office and ask for a raise. You will get it!

Mine is an older bottle from the 1990s too, so its pretty original. It has all of these flowers that bottleneck the composition beyond the neroli. Thats all I can pick out. I wear this to the market and men follow me! I feel like a streetwalker. I dont like that kinda attention. I suppose if I were 40 years younger...

Red is very appropriate for the box. The perfume is flamboyant, flagrant and naughty. If you wear this to your wedding, stop after that or you wont be married long. Its like when "Rhett Butler has Miss Scarlett wear the red dress". She is sort of embarassed to wear it but does so proudly anyway! If thats your thing then, by all means try Amarige.

lalig
lalig

I usually love florals but this one is too heady and loud for my taste.

atv315
atv315

This is not a bad scent, it is beautiful but I wouldn't want to smell like it. In a flower shop, this would be great, but on my body, I feel like I would be knocking people over the head with a bouquet of 30 different types of flowers. With all the different notes it has, it also manages to smell very one-dimensional. It also is not a timeless scent to me; it definitely smells dated.

nananessa
nananessa

A very classy, sofisticated floral blend that I love, smells wonderful, not too sweet or overpowering in any way. What an elegant fragrance but yet always appropriate for any occasion.

It lasts a long time on me, too. The longer I wear it, the more the notes of neroli (which I wish I could just soak in), gardenia & ylang-ylang are detectable.

The base notes are very soft, with gentle touches of vanilla.

Another genius blend that is just divine!

Bellamare
Bellamare

Just bought this one. I'm wearing it for a couple of hours by now and it is totally amazing!!!
It sounds to me like a happy day, like a big-big love, like everything I ever wanted, when I was a teenager and had no right to wear chic perfumes :))))
So now it's truly my time and I can finally afford to wear Amarige without contradicting to myself - the most beautiful woman in the most beautiful age!

janm88
janm88

Used to love this when it was first available. Strong musky, oriental tones with floral background. NOW over powering sickly sweet floral notes. What happened? PS I have an old bottle and a new one. Very different.

reborn
reborn

i just love it.It has been one of my all time favourites.It shows its beauty in warm weather.In the winter it smells cold,sour and not the way it should be.In the spring and early summer is great great great.I love it!

This scent is chaos to me. To heavy, tooooo strooong, instant headache and I get difficult to breath. If you like heavy floral's like Tresor or Poison, this one is in the same category - but smells 10 time's more then Tresor/Poison. Uack!

Denna är bara för mycket. För tung och för stark. Huvudvärken kommer direkt och jag har även svårt att andas när jag sprejar på denna i halgropen (testade 1 gång). Om du gillar riktigt tunga blomdofter som Tresor och Poison så är denna i samma kategori men 10 gånger starkare. Inget för mig.

PerfumedBrunette
PerfumedBrunette

For me, this perfume is instant headache in a bottle. Too strong, too heady, too floral, too much. There is nothing refined or classy about it. It is loud and completely overpowering. Givenchy got it all wrong with this one. I had to ride in an elevator with someone wearing it once - it was so overpowering that I felt suffocated and nauseated.

popeteri
popeteri

I received this as a gift from a boyfriend who LOVED it.....at first I was unsure about it UNTIL I wore it for him and he was putty in my hand...I wore it out a few times and men would come up and tell me how good I smelled....since then it has been my "little black dress" go to fragrance when I go out with the girls and is my lucky charm! Been wearing it for 15 years now and is the one I pick when I want to attract men...thx to my ex for that!

boruvka44
boruvka44

It is similar to Tresor, but as I don't like Tresor for the cold rotten peach drowned in heavy white florwers, I like Amarige. It is warm, fruity (I smell apricots, mandarine and raspberry juice), happy, cheerful scent. It evokes mom, woman that is grown up, kind of found herself, doesn't need to be a sexbomb all the time. I usualy dont like gardenia and tuberosa too much (Fragile), but i love Organza and Amarige.

Ouch!
Ouch!

So...what to say about one of the more well known perfumes from days gone by! Firstly I'd like to say it shouldn't JUST be known as a perfume from days gone by hehe. I'm feeling contradictory today.

What I mean is this still stands as a beautiful perfume to me now even though it could get lost among all these new cents that are getting churned out nowadays.

Today is the first time I've worn this perfume as I came across a sample, and I must say..I’m thoroughly enjoying the experience even though I will never buy this for myself.. My mum used to wear this sometimes when I was younger and it takes me straight back in time!!! I must say I rarely smell it now on people.

This perfume LOVES my chemistry! I’m getting wafts of all sorts of things rising up from my neck every now and then. Mainly..incense notes...which I love! This is somehow reminding me of Joop! Femme every now and then as I get wisps of it (Another amazing perfume). It’s very complex and I can see how this would be an overpowering scent if not used wisely. I have put the entire sample on myself and that is enough.
It’s a complex mix of heady florals and incense and is quite beautiful, a true old skool scent which I think should be releaunched!

LuvsWhtDiamonds
LuvsWhtDiamonds

This is one of my favorite scents. The funny thing is that when it first came out I hated it. A co-worker used to bathe in the stuff in the bathroom before our shift and re-apply it during our breaks. She wore so much of it that I detested the loud scent. One day I was shopping with my mother and we were at the fragrance counter (one of our favorite places to be) and I was telling her that this was the stuff my co-worker wore so loudly. She sprayed it and thought it didn't smell that bad. I tried it and all of a sudden I fell in love with it. This is a fragrance that you do not need to spray alot of. The scent last for a long time. I make sure I keep a bottle on hand.

Gazelle Ladani
Gazelle Ladani

first time came with strong aligen smell.dont know why at the same time i fell i hate while i liked the smell.however, i like it!suitable for mothers and grandmothers ;)

Like Tresor, zillions of women love Amarige, but I just can't stand it despite numerous attempts to try it on and understand what it is that everyone loves so much. There is something beautiful and complex about it, but the beauty is buried under notes that are unmistakably sour and never seem to back down.

Have you ever tried a loukhoum fragrance? If so, think of one with tuberose substituted for the rose. That's what the drydown of this one smells like. The opening is very strong, so if I decided to wear this again, I'd dilute it with vodka or perfumer's alcohol to deal with that problem. I have an original bottle, though I don't know if that matters.

rosembloom
rosembloom

Loved it , love it and shall probably love it forever! Review to come!

perfumeholic88
perfumeholic88

My mom was using Amarige. The fact is that she sprayed too much on herself but it is strong and for me oldfashioned scent. Only for winer/autumn, but my mom used it even in summer!

LaGari
LaGari

Its the kind of 90s scent I grew up smelling on elegant 30-40 year old women. And I like it that way. It does feel too strong and old-fashioned for me to actually wear. Especially these days when I'm looking for something fresh and new. That's why I have a mini.
It's really very nice and comforting to me. I get mostly a heavy dose of tuberose and gardenia. Very classy and glamorous. And seriously, killer projection and longevity- will grab peoples attention.

truffles
truffles

I'm sorry but my one experience of this perfume was smelling it on someone a few years ago, and maybe it was something to do with the person who was wearing it but I just thought it smelled like 'chav in a bottle', kind of naff. I see it's got some ardent fans though. Beauty is in the nose of the beholder/ one man's meat is another man's poison and all that.

edamedina

Amarige un perfume que no es para todas. Se aplica a tu olor. No le huele igual a todas las mujeres. Amarige es sensual, limpio y jugeton. Yo lo uso desde que se puso enla marketa. Clasico y para toda la vida.
Chica

edamedina

Amarige a classic. Amarige is not for everyone your scent has to do with the way it smells on you. I think I have been wearing Amarige since it became available. Every day I get compliments. Amarige is one of those fragrances that will impact those around you. Just a little goes along way and stays with you the whole day.... Ilove the clean soapy smells it leaves on me. Chica

2nd review for one of my glories!
Amarige was indeed magic!
Why I say "was"? Because it is not anymore. I thought it was my feeling about a scent that was so present in my life many years ago. I thought it was just a memory thing, but I happened to smell again one of my old bottles, sealed and stored in the dark and I almost fell in love again! Compared to that my new bottle smells crap, harsher and with a dirty edge that was present but lovely rendered in the old formula. So here re-formulation must be in game. I noticed that most of my once beloved perfumes were reformulated and they all contained sandalwood.
Now, it seems that good creamy sandalwood has been endagered and has become restricted and overpriced.
Samsara, Dolce Vita, Amarige... all great bold beauties that in spite of their strenght and big statement managed to be also luminous and not gross.
Mr.Dominique Ropion is a genius. Only today I could see the thread linking Amarige as original composition to Carnal Flower.

missymary
missymary

I say yah-boo to all the snobs who look down on Amarige, it can hold it's own with the best of its kind, such as Fracas and even the sublime Carnal Flower. It's a classic in it's own right, fairly bursting with the full-on power and sillage of tropically heavy killer tuberose. Love it love it love it!

alchimia72

I love it. The prevalent note on my skin is mimose. After that the fusion between vanilla and tonka bean marry my skin perfectly. I used three bottles. It's one of my must.

Bandit
Bandit

I never expected to like Amarige, but I always wanted to try it.

My vote: You really have to love tuberose. The opening is a mishmash of a lot of notes and flowers, very heavy, verrry heavy. 80s, although this is early 90s. I think, it helps, if you like Poison and the likes. After a long time (at least it felt that long to me) that mishmash fades, everything, that doesn't need to be there goes and the remaining is a beautiful, nearly one-note tuberose. The warm one (as tuberose sometimes smells very cold to me). In the end it fades gracefully to nothing. But for a floral, that might be a good thing.

I don't like tuberose, I hate it in fact, one of my all-time stinkers, so this is not for me. You see, maybe there really isn't that much tuberose, but the tinniest drop of it is magnified to a 1000 in my brain. I'm a real truffle pig for tuberose.

But still, Amarige is not unbearable for me. One of the better tuberose stinkers out there, imho. If I ever grow on tuberose in this life (I doubt that), I will revisit Amarige.
;)

tenderhearted
tenderhearted

I love this most gorgeous perfume!

I have a "dupe" or imitation of it,and it has synthetic musk in it. I do know what the original smells like though too,and my dupe smells very close.

This perfume is sweet like flower center nectar. it is juicy,just a touch tangy,like oranges that are gently teasing my nose. The tuberose is making me weak in the knees,and I find it very intoxicating.

If you think of a frame of reference,today there is a kind of new definition of "sweet" in the perfume world. Sweet seems to be tied to cupcakes and sticky candies (I love those as well) But this beauty is a different kind of sweet. It is sweet that could occur in nature,like flowers warming in the noon day sun,with tonka bean spices lingering too (instead of a bakery with wafts of creamy icing cupcakes just baked,or freshly made at the factory candy that is still warm)

I don't like it when people say "old lady". I find it mean and disrespectful. We all know that calling a perfume that or a person that is not meant as a compliment. It is ok not to like the scent,but would you walk up to your dear grandmother,wrinkle your nose,and say "You smell like old lady Grandma,and I hate your perfume!" There is nothing wrong with some people being older and some people being younger. Most likely,you will not want to be called old lady when you get up there in age too.

***I once smelled this in a store,and never forgot it. It was a breathtaking scent. I think the musk animal photo should be taken down.It is disturbing and a lot of ( but not all of them) perfumers do not use real animal musk any more. I am not even sure as to when I smelled this in the 90's if there was real musk in it. I hope not.

MinLynn
MinLynn

I have been wearing this scent as a "winter" scent for over 15 years now. I remember that I started wearing it in high school and how nobody could figure out what it was because it wasn't from The Gap or Victoria Secrets.

This scent must be used sparingly or you'll overwhelm those around you and for me it has a very fruity scent but is warm if that makes any sense at all. As someone before me stated, this scent can go "bad" and smell much differently when it gets old (I once had a bottle smell just like rotten bananas)and this scent WILL smell different on everyone as I've had many friends try it and it smelled much different on them.

artsymom
artsymom

I have no idea WHY I like this perfume! It's TOTALLY not my style. I don't usually go for big florals, especially tuberose with spice. BUT, there is just something about this that works perfectly with my skin chemistry and it smells GOOD.
I once had a bottle go bad (rancid?), and when it turned, it was horrible! I thought my nose had changed, but no, I smelled another bottle and my "old" (a few years) bottle had definitely turned bad, so watch out for that.
To me, it doesn't smell dated- I think it's a classic.
I know some people really hate it, so I try to wear it sparingly. :) Anyway, I believe your impression of this one has a lot to do with skin chemistry and the freshness of the bottle! So try it on before buying.(Don't just spray the paper).

elderflowers
elderflowers

Amarige is the spirit of a high-maintenance woman. She’s glamorous, bitchy, sexy, and rich (it’s not all her own money – like Zsa Zsa Gabor, she’s a marvellous house-keeper). She dresses within a daring whisker of Eurotrash; she favours a quilted leather handbag with a chain strap, and it did not come from Primark; she looks even better in a bright yellow skirt suit than Ms. Giorgio Beverly Hills, and knows it. Her lover comes up to her apartment carrying a giant bouquet of mimosa and tuberoses and orange blossom, and they pop out to a performance of Lucia di Lammermoor.

She is a million miles away from anyone I could ever be. But ugly, old, or unsexy? No, she’s none of those things, quite the opposite. But she’s not exactly the most approachable person, and it’s been a while since she was a naïve young bride.

Bizarrely, Avon Skin So Soft Sensual bath and body products are an absolute dead ringer for swanky, haute-floral Amarige.

krmarich
krmarich

Givenchy introduced a very LARGE bouquet of sweet, rich and enamoured florals that illustrated how you feel when you are in love. Its feels great, yet how do you go back to feeling normal? You dont. Amarige seethes there in its nearly overwhelming "post-powerhouse" statement.

There projection was far and wide. I guess it worked well for brides who needed to be the center of attention. This was it! After the honeymoon, you may want to return to Ysatis or Interdit. Yes, its somewhat flamboyant in its statement. I remember it here and there in the early 1990s. Indeed, it will not be soon forgotten!

Its been changed(reformulated) in limited editions. Ideal, for special occasions. Beware of using it as a daily signaure.

sofababe
sofababe

Super strong, super nostalgic. Elegant and retro. I don't wear it often but whenever I do, I'm glad I own my small bottle of this 90s powerhouse!!

cyber861
cyber861

بوش یکم خاصه-من دوستش دارم-پیشنهاد میکنم به خانم ها یه بار تستش کنن.

lapurrla
lapurrla

It's good that I finally tried this again after I don't know how many years. Dislike the opening, but it soon calms into a gorgeous floral. I do love the scent of tuberose and gardenia in flower and this perfume is a wonderful reminder of these magnificently scented blooms. Today is a beautiful September Spring day and I might just have to wear it out and about. (Reviewing a vintage miniature).

twinklestar.pa
twinklestar.pa

I had long admired this perfume after a co-worker, back in the early '90's, would use it at work. It was lovely. I back burnered the memory, but at WalMart yesterday I found a 0.5 oz bottle for $15.00. I could not believe it. So now for the 1st time I'm wearing this lovely scent. The wonderful light head notes remind me of the lightness and ethereal joy of Angle's top note, in that they are lovely and ...pure. They are not the same smell, though.

I expect that I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of this little bottle.

(No headache, no wheezing so far.)

SheShe
SheShe

It's a great fragrance, very strong and great to wear during cold days. It still makes an impression on me after many years... Amarige can become a smell of grandmother's perfume a bit in hot weather so I wear it in autumn and winter. They're elegant, sexy, lively.

hnyc
hnyc

This is a true, stand out perfume. I adore it but it can easily wear you and not the other way around if sprayed too heavy. This reminds me of high school, it was my first signature perfume!

Whit
Whit

My mom wore this when it first came out and it was her signature fragrance for a while. I remember it being a heady scent, but also a happy one too. I've never bought it, though I don't know why. To me, it's great for spring/summer and maybe early fall. I guess maybe the scent is a little too "upbeat" for me; I would imagine someone who is a very perky morning person wearing this, and no, I'm insulting anyone who is a "morning" person. I like it, just not enough to buy it, that's all.

Kiku
Kiku

My first impression of Amarige was WOW, this is one BIG perfume! It has a lusty, "take no prisoners" attitude. From it's fruity opening, to it's intense heart with it's one-two punch of gardenia and tuberose , to it's vanilla/sandalwood drydown it overwhelms. And obviously was meant to. Amarige is not for the shy or quiet. It has incredible energy. It is for the woman who wants to be noticed and remembered. My only complaint: the huge amount of tuberose was headache inducing. But then tuberose has always been difficult for me. If tuberose doesn't bother you I would say this is a must have.

pureblonde

Further to my comments below, this has become one of my favourites.
Once the initial tropical opening falls away this is all mimose on a warm and woody base - simply gorgeous. I don't detect any of the fruit notes at all and other floral notes seem to lay quietly in the background.
Overall this is a lovely sweet and warm fragrance, intoxicating and unique.
I find 2 sprays just right - this really lasts a very long time and clings beautifully to fabric. I just love smelling this on my pyjamas when I go to bed :)
A wonderful fragrance that I can see myself wearing all seasons and occasions - it is fast becoming my new signature.
Highly recommend but do try before you buy as reviews suggest this can behave very differently on each person.

whiten
whiten

I like it. I didn't think I would but I really did. I thought it wopuld be heavy and old lady-ish(I don2t know why? it looked a bit old fashioned the bottle and the dark amber liquid at the store) but I find it beautiful with nice flowers, and more wearable for me than organza. with organza I can't get flowers mostly walnut and it's so heavy, but with this I can,mixed with vanilla and woodsy notes and it is not so cloyingly heavy. a nice one to be added to the list, maybe in future....

Soutty123
Soutty123

I really hate this but I don't know why. Back in the 1990s I used to sit next to a girl at work who wore it and used to spray herself with it every hour from head to foot. It just makes me feel sick whenever I smell it on someone. D&G Red has the same effect on me, they smell similar to my nose.

candymarie
candymarie

A lovely classic floral a la Sung, Nicole Miller and Mackie. Unfortunately, I'm no longer into classic florals, as I'm obsessed with sweet orientals these days. So why oh why didn't I test this one first before blind-buying a full bottle!? On the strength of LOVING Amarige MARIAGE, and the fact that the House of Givenchy had yet to disappoint me, I splurged on Amarige. Unfortunately, it seems to have nothing in common with Mariage, and just isn't my cup of tea these days, though it is a classic and lovely floral that many people love. It just isn't for me, so it's up for swap, I'm afraid.

pureblonde

I admit, I don't remember ever really testing this but yet somehow had in my head that this was probably for the mature woman and not something I would really wear anyway since it's classified as floral.
I would like to say right here and now that I have changed my mind after smelling it tonight on a work colleague. On her, it is one of the most beautiful and almost intoxicating fragrances I have come across. Naturally I had to know what she was wearing and was very surprised to hear it was this.
Even though we work in healthcare (and at the same age we are younger than I would necessarily call 'mature'), this didn't seem out of place and she left a gorgeous aroma wherever she went without it being too overpowering or headache inducing. I can also see this as a lovely fragrance to wear on a date.
I'm curious to see how this one sits on my skin...
Regardless, it's funny how we can have misconceptions about certain fragrances and yet they turn out to be something completely different and then even sometimes become one of our favourites :)

fumehead
fumehead

Amarige smells cheap and synthetic, the tuberose gives me a headache and the orange blossom smells like 10p soap like the stuff you get in the poundshop. the floral notes are all there but the quality of the ingredienhts are really substandard, especially when i compare a 1992 5ml sample to a recent 2011 bottle.

ION
ION

Amarige is wonderful! And luminous! And sexy! Very sexy actually!
It is one of those perfumes (like "Poison" for example)
that don't develop much, it just smells delicious and memorable from the very start to the end.
As a smell, I'd describe it a feast of flowers where the tone is given by tuberose/gardenia and if you like the smell of them (who doesn't?) chances are you'll also like Amarige. They share common spirit :)
It does change (even substantially) according to the skin it is applied on, so a test before buying is advised.
It lasts and flatters women of all ages and if it works on your skin, prepare to answer the question "what perfume are you wearing" many times during the day. It is that good!

wigwigforever
wigwigforever

This was my first" proper" perfume back at university in the early nineties. I loved it then and probably wore far too much. Very heady, but unlike other reviews I found sniffing it from the bottle( it was a flacon,rather than a spray) on a damp grey English winter day would cheer me up. I do not detect any sadness like others have, but that's why perfume facinates me and why I am an addict! I have been distracted by many others over the years but recently bought a new bottle of Amarige after reading Luca Turin's review. Was it really that bad? Had I been torturing my fellow students in the University Union Bar? Well I wasn't chased out of town! I still love Amarige, It is one of the few florals I can wear( I love Diorrissimo on other people,but my chemistry really turns it sour). I agree, less is more with Amarige, but I find the mimosa,tubereuse and fruity notes beautiful,and don't think I will ever stop wearing it.

Eaugirlspirit
Eaugirlspirit

I am strongly considering having this be my wedding day fragrance, not sure yet though. It's really beautiful and and I almost picture a wedding when I smell it. Adayoncedawn: I feel the same way about my mother wearing Estee Lauder's "Beautiful"!!!!

nicki317
nicki317

I like to smell this on my clothes after I have worn it all day. Dries down to something soft and beautiful. However, when first sprayed it is very strong and a little of this goes a long way. I once told a woman in a perfume shop that I am a fan of Amarige and she seemed really surprised and said I must like strong, mature fragrances. So some people think of it as old ladyish but I disagree. I think if you don't use too much and give it a chance, it smells classy and elegant.

adayoncedawned
adayoncedawned

One of the hardest scents to describe I have ever come to contact with. My mother has worn this scent for as long as I can remember, and every time I smell it I just think of her, and mind you she is one of the most beautiful and graceful women I have ever met. It doesn't smell like an old person, nor a teenager. It smells like someone who would be in there 25 years of age to 50. It is very distinct, and this will be the perfume I will remember my mother by forever, even if and when she's not with me.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I can't agree with Luca Turins assertion that the windows should be taped shut if you wear this! To me, it's like a cross between Poison and Giorgio which sounds quite heavy hitting, and yes, it is: It's also brave, different and diva like. A big tuberose with a sweet woodsy edge. My husband liked the smell on the strip, too. Will go for it and put it on skin, next time!

daliflora
daliflora

My mother used to wear Amarige, but I always found it too complicated and too heavily floriental. And I couldn't stand a sweet accord in this fragrance, probably the one between tuberose and vanilla. Definitely not for me, but I usually cannot stand many heavy oriental perfumes, except for Yria d'Yves Rocher. Yet I have nothing in principle against the house of Givenchy, since I loved very much the fresh Eau de Givenchy (so difficult to be found again, unfortunately).

mishykissy
mishykissy

I do agree with other reviewers, take care when applying this one, spriz and walkthrough, especially if your planning to wear to the office. I could still smell this on my skin after an hour in a highly chlorinated pool and a lingering of the wood note in the morning. It would be perfect to spray at the beginning of a special night out as no top up would be necessary.
I loved this perfume in my late teens when this was released and I have just come back to it after growing bored of my other perfumes and smelling them on 10 other people at an event (gucci rush) and amarige smells just as wonderful as it did back then. It smells a little soapy at first but passes quickly, then the florals and wood notes hit you then just a hint of fruit.
Don't expect a fun fruity connoction though which most designers appear to favour at the moment this is for big girls only! I know why i loved this so much when i was 19 on the brink of womanhood, I wanted to feel all grown up and beautiful. And i do indeed recall siamese dream playing as well as dookie and and purple ahhhhh the 90's. A very sophisticated scent, slightly masculine and would make a great signature scent.

hpvg
hpvg

I love, love, love Amarige! I find that if I spray it directly on to my skin, it is too strong and could be off-putting to some people (it lasts FOREVER), but I spray it in the air and walk thru it a couple of times and it is perfection.

This is a timeless, classic scent that I will always keep in my vast collection. So, so pretty and feminine!

merlin
merlin

I am just 24, but this is one of the best classics that I enjoy wearing from time to time . I dont care If others think this is old lady-sh!!! Well, being a Classic It doesnt necessary mean being old ladysh .

Amarige is Just AWESOME; GORGEOUS, CLASSY, CONFIDENT,RICH; SEXY ; everything a woman should smell. Floral, fruity; woody.

I really dislike Chanel nr 5 or Coco but Amarige rocks !!!

fanny
fanny

Gorgeous! Amarige should be classified as Woody Floral..
Or Floral Woody.

One of the heavier scents, which stands out like a life sculpture, made of the best of warm woods and lots of sultry flowers.
To me it seems more like an eau de parfum than an eau de toilette.
Occasions: A ball in France, but not Versailles. More in the south, like Avignon. A dinner in Cannes, sipping the best of bordeaux. A party high on the coast in Biarritz with a wild ocean!

Sillage: big!
Longevity: long!
Love: yes!

Chanelette
Chanelette

This fragrance is anything but ordinary. It can't get unnoticed. Incredibly lively and dynamic, colorful and original. The gardenia and tuberose note is prominent, surrounded by sweet fruit - I find the concept similar to Dior Poison, where the tuberose is sweetened by plums, while in Amarige white flowers are surrounded by sweet peaches and tangerines. One of the best florals out there.

mrsH
mrsH

A massive perfume, much misunderstood! One of the most polarising fragrances I know- not really one to wear to the office but so beautiful. It's very rich and lush, a real man- pleaser but not for everyone. Do not blind- buy!

kathrinaaguir
kathrinaaguir

I really love this scent. Is a long-lasting one, hard attribute to find in some perfume.
For me is clean, femenine, recognizable and for sure you will know when someone wears it.
It's not overwhelming at all. the girl next door says it smell like wet cardboard !! I disagree

astamm62
astamm62

I love Amarige.. Since the first time I smelled it when it first came out.. I received so many compliments while wearing this scent..Got into a cab wearing Amarige,the cab driver liked the way it smelled.For me the fragrances that are in the simpliest looking bottles smell the nicest..Some here think that this scent is outdated..They must think the classics like Shalimar,Chanel, Youthdew are outdated also ,they have been around alot longer.

romrom
romrom

such a yummy scent, An elegant perfume, you first get hit with a burst of gardinia and peach then the base notes like vanilla, ambar and sandallwood, it stays on your skin all day long but in a very delicated way.

Inspire0111
Inspire0111

Wow! So many notes listed, I can't believe it. On me, this is gardenia and almost nothing else up to the dry down. It's a bit old fashioned but not bad. I wouldn't call it elegant, it's more... hmmm... "solid".

Awatef
Awatef

I’m not sure how to describe this one - I got it cuz i thought the smell was soo beautiful, jasmin and very elegant but i couldnt pull it off gave it to my mother I think I’d rather smell it than wear it

calyx93
calyx93

My mother's signature scent (soon becoming my sister's favorite too). A huge fanfare of tuberose and gardenia over a deeply woody and musky base - like a hundred cellos and french horns playing a sonorous tune under a golden sunlight sky. I keep a small bottle of the parfum in my collection for occasionally smelling - makes me smile - what a glow!

It cannot be overstated that careful application is paramount - just a very light spritz in the cleavage or a couple drops of the parfum barely touched on decollete, wrists and earlobes.

No more than that or the effect is ruined and ... LOUD!

madhatter1
madhatter1

Purchased in my 20's and I think I recall it was sweet smelling floral.
Didnt last last on me though, I am sure many others love it!

This too much and too sweet for me. Maybe it's the tuberose, but there is something about this scent I don't like.

Louw
Louw

A gorgeous peachy/floral concoction that develops into a slightly woody vanilla base. I love it, but unfortunately it provokes a full-blown migraine in me every time I smell it so I just can't wear it :-(

stacyrenee

Oh yeah I almost forgot, layer this with L Lolita Lempicka for a delicious combination.

stacyrenee

I used to loathe this, but after some time I decided to give it another try, with an extremely light hand. Its actually very nice. The dry-down is exceptional. I love how you only need a tiny drop rubbed together between the wrists, then rub your wrists on a few other pulse points and voila! You have just the right amount so that you get a whiff of it now and then thru out the day, but not so much as to be offensive. It has a nice balance of ingredients once you get past the top notes, so I try not to sniff my wrist for at least 20 minutes or so. But yes it is addictive.

Dâmaris O Batista Silva
Dâmaris O Batista Silva

Um perfume clássico, que marcou uma era. Floral forte que fica bem em perfis mais clássicos e formais.

morganlafay
morganlafay

I don't care what anybody else says, for me Amarige is the Queen of florals. It's like putting your nose into the heart of the most fragrant flower, like a honeysuckle, on a summer evening. If you like Dolce Vita, you will love Amarige. Forget all the mild floral fruities like Viva La Juicy, they are OK, but why would you settle for plonk when you can have Premier Cru? Amarige is rich and lush and so so long lasting. And the best of all is, that often Amarige is on offer at a bargain price! Grab it if you get it.

zsazsa
zsazsa

Since the recent releases of new perfumes leave me so dissapointed and unimpressed, I started to go back to the floral orientals of the 80's and 90's. These perfumes have so much more character and presence than the recent releases of fruit juice combined with bland florals and some patchouli. Amarige is such a floral oriental, and it stands for beauty, character, presence and longevity. The key is not to use a lot! One or two spritzes, no more. I get mostly sweet white flowers in the top notes to atract attention, some fruit in the middle notes to make it playful and interesting, and a sexy creamy drydown of sandalwood, vanilla and musk. This is what I expect from a real perfume. To me, this is what a real perfume should smell like.

Crafter
Crafter

I was on a plane to South Africa when I could smell this mysterious, sensual perfume from someone sitting in the seat ahead of me. I finally had to ask the woman what she was wearing, as the smell was so intense an totally original from any other perfume I had smelled. It is one of my favorite perfumes, but it is very strong, so I wear very little of it, and only in the evening when going out for a nite on the town!

pmcclure
pmcclure

The other one of the two fragrances that works really well with my body chemistry (Obsession being the other). This is the only floral I can wear, because it's got the very lovely base notes -- so when the fruits and florals wear off (in an hour), there is still a wonderful warm feminine scent.

This is a good office scent - not too outgoing, but nice, and it does well with air conditioning (not turning sweet from the cold).

Siv55
Siv55

Absolutely giant floral. Like a burlesque queen bursting out of a cake. Huge, positively violent, it punches its way out of the bottle and shouts HERE I AM! LOVE ME!!!
This will get you noticed, be sure of that. This fragrance is just enormous. Tuberose and violet seems to predominate. And it doesn't know when to stop. It will keep partying long after you have gone to bed.
If you are an actress or model wear this to auditions. You will be noticed, remarked upon and remembered, which is half the battle. Just hope you are remembered as the one who wore the scent that filled the room and also filled it with their talent, not as the one who stank..
I cannot wear this as I don't like being the centre of attention.

laurindis
laurindis

I never thought I'd say this about a perfume, but this is the scent of sadness for me, comes up really bitter at first, feels oriental and flowery after about 30 min. I mostly detect the tuberose and the plum. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely unique and absolutely gorgeous, mature, mysterious and elegant, but not a daily scent for me by any means. There's just something about this perfume that burdens me.

smoothshoperator

Back in the 90s the lady at the Dillards counter told me about this new perfume that I should try if I wanted something "different and unique". When I first smelled it in the bottle I thought "This is... uhhhh..interesting..." I wasn't quite sure what to think of it, but then I put it on and let it meld with my chemistry and it became such a warm, delicious scent...so rich and luxurious and very classy smelling. I smell lots of plum and it is so delicious here. But, it is quite a spicy perfume more than floral at least on me. Always makes me think of the far east for some reason. I would say this is best for Fall/Winter because it is quite strong. I usually spray some on my finger and dab behind my ears, because it can be migraine inducing if not applied with a light hand. It is a very unique scent and as one reviewer said it's not for everyone, but I certainly do not equate it with an old lady whatsoever. I usually prefer simple easy going natural smells so I have no idea why I like this strong powerhouse of a perfume, but I dare you to try a light dab on your wrist and then resist the urge to keep sniffing throughout the day. It is very addicting that way.

larali

This is the one perfume I will always love. The one that always makes me happy, lifts my spirits, no matter what time of year, no matter what I'm wearing. It truly makes me feel beautiful and invigorated. If it's possible to really LOVE a pefume, this is the only one for me.

Laura in Houston
Laura in Houston

I used to absolutely HATE this perfume because when it first came out, the department store I frequented promoted the hell out of it, and all you could smell from 100 yards away was that perfume. Like walking into an Amarige fog. But because it wasn't interacting with skin, you didn't get all the subtle base notes, just lots and lots of peach and heavy floral notes. I could only associate this scent with an instant, massive headache. Not good.

I'm trying it again because I got a little sample bottle from my mom-in-law, and I do like it once it's been on my skin for a while. And it lasts forever! And a little goes a long way - not something to spray all over. I agree with others that it would be best as a fall/winter fragrance.

Adorabella
Adorabella

Amarige is one of my favorite perfumes. I tend to wear it in the winter and it reminds me of Christmas for some reason. It's classy and so pretty on. My husband likes it as well. I can see how this might be considered a more mature scent because it smells like an older scent--kind of like Chanel no. 5, but I began wearing it when I was 22 and I got compliments then and continue to 11 years later. Many of my friends have purchased it after smelling it on me!

charlottesmom

I Adore this stuff why oh why do all the males in my life hate it, both of my perfume lovin' sons hate it, my husband dislikes it (not quite hate but it's not on the top of his "that smells nice" list)...I don't over do it, I actually only spray it once on a cotton ball then lightly apply it on my wrists. why is it that most of the perfumes I adore my guys dislike! The ones my husband and I both like are Pink Sugar and Hypnotic Poison but I like more variety in my fumes! My 9 year old said Amarige smells like a toilet cleaner but yet he loved Chanel no. 5 on me and I though that reeked!

darcy1
darcy1

I discovered this frag in St. Martin in 1994. Up to that day, Estee Lauder's Private Collection was my signature fragrance. But one whiff of Amarige, and my 20 year love affair with Private Collection was over! A lot of people here have written how Amarige is not for everyone; and this is true. I seem to be able to wear a lot of perfumes other people can't; and then I'll smell something fantastic on someone else...run out and try it and it's either nasty or mor often just blah. Anyway, I LOVE AMARIGE, and have found it to be a very romantic fragrance. If the spray is too strong (it is some powerful stuff!) try the body veil. When I just want a whisper of fragrance, all I need is to put that on after a shower and the scent is soft and perfect.

Angel10
Angel10

Just too much! I am not a fan of huge, screaming, straight up florals. Used to wear, now I cannot be within 50 feet of it. It's like a mutual restraining order.

Miss_J
Miss_J

I do agree with renaek that this perfume is not for everyone. I can't believe that some of the reviews said that this perfume smells like an old lady! On me it smells fruity floral, but just the right fruitiness and not too sweet at all. I love this perfume very much. I can smell the peach and rosewood from the opening, the floral middle notes are a bit heady but it mellows to woodier base notes and lasts for the next 8 hours.Lovely.

renaek
renaek

I think Amarige is a perfume that only suits some people... probably people who don't suit many other perfumes! When I was searching for a scent at 18 I tried on hundreds, and Amarige was the only one that 'worked' for me.
It lasts beautifully, and I really love the soft base notes.

It's funny, because on some people this scent is very 'old lady', but on others it is young and vibrant. I think it is a scent that has to be matched with the personality and presence of the wearer.
I have a fairly sweet, fruity natural scent which blends really well with this.

If you're thinking of trying it, buy a miniature first and wear it for a while. Don't be put off at first because it's too strong... give it a chance, you might find you love it.

KasiaS
KasiaS

A very special perfume. I'm falling more and more in love with Dominique Ropion!
Amarige is a BIG, a little bit old-fashioned (90s style) floral. It is complex and extremely well done. Although it brings to my mind a picture of a mum or a 'good auntie' (the bad auntie wearing Poison, of course) I still really enjoy wearing it. No offense, nothing bad with aunties, anyway, I'm already one, too :) It just seems somehow mystery- and surpriseless. But a very good, shiny and radiant fragrance, anyway, so joyful that it makes me instantly think of a sunny summer day in the country. The opening is hyper-floral with a little bit of fruit, in time the tuberose grows bigger, but never gets to be this tuberose monster, being balanced with other notes, then in the base, when ylang and vanilla take floor, it morphs towards floriental and a kind of reminds JPG Classique, imho.
It is a classic itself, should by no means be dismissed.
You are likely to enjoy it if you like Poeme and Love in Paris (and vice versa) - I would call them all cousins or even sisters, Amarige being the oldest, Poeme the most mysterious and LiP the youngest and most fruity-innocent and partly member of another, Champs-Elysees family.
Great composition, sillage and lasting power.
It gives you comfort, good mood and protection.
The only one that made me think about having a signature again, lately!

Bellina
Bellina

My all time favourite scent, classic and haunting. People will recognize you by this frag any time.
A special occasin and night out perfume.
Gorgeous and unforgetable!

Pink&Cupcakes
Pink&Cupcakes

Its aroma is so strong that it gives me allergy, and start sneezing ... it has too many components.
I think it's great for adult women 45-up.
Too floral for my taste ..

Vjera
Vjera

I love perfumes.
I love rich, tasty parfumes.
All of the Amarige components suggest that it should be wonderful.
When I got it, I just had to get rid of it. As soon as I found a victim I gave it away. I wouldn't want to be in the same room with it ever again.
Intensive, insulting, loud, vulgare, overripe...
Like an old commanding bordello madam.

krissycat
krissycat

I love this scent. It's rare my fiance stops to ask me what fragrance I'm wearing but this one caught him dead in his tracks, and he needed to know what it was. It's a beautiful smelling fragrance.

msdmary
msdmary

I can't get enough of this scent! I love it. I was even complimented by my brother. He said I smelled
'wonderful'. I feel very feminine with this perfume. I hope it will be around for a long time. I think if a perfume is excellent to begin with, it never becomes outdated. It becomes a classic.

ReinaT
ReinaT

I love Amirage! I love almost everything by Givenchy. This floral bouquet has a warm touch of vanilla and amber in it, and I love those notes, but its not a dark scent, it is fresh and floral. This fragrance is particularly nice for day or summer use, not really an evening or winter fragrance. It is lovely, very feminine and sweet. I know a lot of ladies who love it and wear it and it's not even expensive! So that is really great. I love the newer Amirage Mariage too, but Mariage is a little more spicy with patouchilli and the classic Amirage is more floral and sweet. I feel that pretty much, one can not go wrong with any fragrance designed by the house of Givenchy. If you like sweet florals with a little touch of warmth, just a little, you would probably like this one.

charlottesmom

I really really like this stuff though it's just skirting the edge of too floral, one more type of flower added into the mix and it would be pushed over the edge. I have to be very light handed with it's application....I have to use the Q-tip method (one spray on a Q-tip then apply gently to wrists, behind ears, between breasts and near belly button) I have to use the same method of application with D&G The One also. My husband hated it when I spritzed right from the bottle (It really is really strong and overpowering!). I usually use it in the morning after the husband is off to work and by the time he comes home he can't smell it....it's a fragrance I wear just for me because I like it so much and he dosn't.

uriphides
uriphides

Very sensual, sweet floral, romantic and elegance like it says on the ads. I love it.

impli
impli

warm and soft.i love it in winter

Aigner_Again
Aigner_Again

The beginning is very 80s-and-90s, but it doesn't mean 'old-fashioned', don't you worry, after a while it gets favourable to wear in 2011, too :-) It's so classy, joyful and warm. Amarige is for romantic souls who are not into ultra-modern scents. This is sooo me! :-)

Parfumanka
Parfumanka

For me this is a very unusual and bright scent. My chemistry is good with it, like to wear it for some special occasions. Really warm and strong fragrance.

SenecaWhite
SenecaWhite

Absolutely horrific!! This actually made my stomach turn when I tried this on. I never thought a perfume could physically make one throw up but this one almost did. Very disgusting and strong!! I could still smell hints of it even afer I washed it off.

oona noir
oona noir

This almost works on me. I really do like it, enough that I wore it on my wedding day. But it goes through a phase (in the top/middle) where it smells a bit dusty on me, and the overall character just seems off for me. I definitely get the vulgar edge that others have mentioned. Perhaps on my wedding day, this worked to my advantage. I wore a dress that was a bit chaste for my taste- maybe I was trying to offset that feeling with my perfume? Looking back, I would have preferred a less uptight dress and a more pure perfume. Oh well.

After my wedding, I moved on to Amarige D'Amour and that, blessedly, was a much better fit for my day to day life.

WardrobeMistress
WardrobeMistress

Sorry Amarige fans but I really dislike this one.

I actually expected it to be a winner, looking at that enormous carnival of notes and the fact that it was formulated in the early 90's which is one of my favourite periods for perfumery. From the red and yellow ad campaign I was expecting something bright and energetic but I find it just a litle too musty and somehow melancholy. I just keep thinking of it as a dirty lilac colour.

The plum here is so dominant on me right from the word go and it just doesn't let up...I can barely discern any other notes. I don't actually find it that loud, some might adore the complex blend but to me it's just a big old mess, like a really rank cocktail you made as a teenager containing eleven different kinds of strange liquers that have been in your parents drinks cabinet since 1972. I would love for some of those florals to put their heads up over the parapet and give this a little sparkle and clarity but it just ain't happening.

It smells very familiar to me, somebody I know must wear this, or maybe I just encounter it a lot on random strangers.

Maybe this would blossom on me after a few hours but I don't think I can tolerate it long enough to find out. Sorry Givenchy, but for me, this one's a scrubber.

Shima Rinoa
Shima Rinoa

I was very lucky to got this perfume for free as I won a competition held by a local magazine a few years ago. The scent is strong and very rosy. The scent of roses is heavy & thick. I seldom used it as I cannot stand strong smell due to migraine, but during special occasion or dinner, it will works well. Sometimes my mom & sis will quietly used it :)

stacyrenee

Reminds me of Escape, and I hate this perfume. There is something about it that I want to like, but the longer I smell it the sicker it makes me- It literally hurts my nose! Michael Kors does the same thing and I need to figure out what this sickening note is so I never have to waste money on another sample vial with this ingredient, so if anyone knows what it is they have in common.. It's not for me.

sweetcookie
sweetcookie

I read a long time ago that Amarige is Sarah Ferguson's favorite perfume. Whether or not the ex-Duchess of York really likes this, it's quite fitting, actually. Amarige is a rich perfume, feminine and heady, optimistically bright, 80's bold and, from what I see in the reviews. draws the men. The tuberose makes a statement, the violet is a ooncession to tradition, a classic floral in the broadest sense. And unique.
Yes-Amarige DOES evoke images of Sarah, doesn't it now?
The box even matches her haircolor LOL!

larali

This is what I wore during my senior-in-high-school period where I was beginning to feel grown up and excited about my future. It is still one of my favorites, good for fall or winter. Wear with red lipstick.

hiraeth
hiraeth

My husband's all time favourite... Strong yet feminine. I love sandalwood, amber and woody notes, I dislike so many flowers - sometimes less is more.

jujy54
jujy54

I love onaona's description "loud and proud" - there is something lovably dime store about this fragrance, it reminds me of some little girl perfume I got for Christmas, when I was a little girl who loved Woolworth's! I think it's the pronounced violet note with which it opens. I tested a single spritz to my write about two hours ago, and truthfully, while it evokes nostalgia, I'm tired or it already.

kerini
kerini

I'm having a love-hate relationship with Amarige.

It's too heavy for me with a high headache potential. It takes a while to settle down and I wouldn't want to be around someone who applied it less than 2 hours ago.
There's a note that doesn't fit in with the flower mix. I can't quite place it but luckily it's not overwhelmingly strong.
I like the always present vanilla and woody notes that set it apart from the next floral scent and give it its own character.

The dry-down is absolutely fantastic, very feminine, vanilla and woods with a hint of tonka bean. If only I could skip right through to the base notes...

It's a very long lasting scent. It stays with me all day, at least 8-10 hours.
-----
Update on the note that doesn't fit:
I learned it's ylang-ylang. My nose apparently decided that ylang-ylang doesn't fit anywhere in any capacity. I just can't stand it but it probably won't bug anybody else.

mandelinka
mandelinka

everytime I smell this, I think of my dear mum!
lovely clean, white, comforting scent. perfect for day/office

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

After reading so many positive reviews, I tried this. And this is so not for me.
White florals always repulse me and I was hoping this one would be different, but no.
I see why everyone says this is classic and feminine but it is too much for me. Far too strong and perfumey. It smells very synthetic, not in a cheap way, but you would really know you're wearing perfume. I like my perfume to be subtle, to blend with me, not to announce my presence before I even appear. I think I should just avoid big white florals.

Woodelf
Woodelf

Amarige is one of the first French perfume purchases that I ever made. That was over ten years ago, and I still love it. Amarige has a unique blend of woody and floral notes that at once makes it feminine and sophisticated. On first spray, I get violets, neroli, rose and vanilla. As the scent warms up, I get the woods: sandalwood, cedar, and rosewood. This scent seems to work very well with my chemistry as I've received many compliments on it. My husband loves it and for us, it holds many happy memories. I prefer Amarige to many popular modern scents which seem so wishy-washy in comparison. The scent of Amarige stays true for hours. It doesn't deteriorate, so a little Amarige goes a long way. Sillage is excellent - no need to overspray. I wouldn't classify it as seasonal as it can be worn successfully all year 'round. I do agree with others who classify it as more of a spicy Oriental floral than a straight floral.

Added: This is a scent that is definitely not shy, and I love how the fruit essences interplay with the woods. Amarige is sweet and floral but not gourmand. It is strangely almost incense-like like in its quality. It's interesting how the different decades bring about different perfume styles and the 90's gave us Amarige from Givenchy. I hope it will be around for a long time.

Passionflower
Passionflower

This is quite a distinctive scent. Classic and feminine, but somehow not my thing at all. It has great staying power and I can see why people love it.

Perfumedsecrets

I like to wear it from time to time. It certainly does not smell bad on me, and perhaps those who hate it just have bad chemistry. I've found that a lot of people prefer clean perfumes these days just because their chemistry with most perfumes is off. Different things effect how perfume smells on your body. Hormones, the food you eat, and any medicine you take... It's more than just thinking, "Oh that smells bad, so it must be the perfume". I don't douse myself in it, just a spray on my wrist is all I need. I'm sure it reminds people of a certain time in their life, or it's a signature scent. It's still being sold, and there are thousands of perfumes made since that have long been discontinued. I just hate to hear things like "Oh, that's so 80's or 90's." People don't think of Shalimar as, "Oh, that's so 1928." There are many perfume genres. It's a perfume that makes a statement when everything you smell these days is bland. I don't want to smell like everyone else.

TamsinR
TamsinR

My husband chose this perfume to give to me - he loves it, finds it super sexy, asks me to wear it when he's in the mood (and I wear it when I want to get him in the mood ;) How appropriate for me that it means "marriage;" my husband gave it to me ten years ago - we got married very young and crazy in love, and I have a lot of good memories of a very happy-to-this day marriage associated with it. My man isn't really into perfume, but this one he went gaga for. I probably wouldn't have chosen it on my own, but I do love it. It is a sweet smooth golden scent; elegant, very feminine, classy. With my chemistry there's a warm floral creaminess that reminds me of ylang, though I don't see that one in the listed notes, and also of gardenia, which I love. I also get luscious fruity notes, especially peach, which is listed, and pear, which it not, and a wonderful non-foody woody musky vanilla which dominates the drydown. It makes me think of golden sunshine in a more mellow, indolent, late afternoon way, not the bright bouncy smiley face way. I wear it for special occasions: It works perfectly with lingerie, with the little black dress and black velvet heels, yet also with the more casual date-night jeans. It is very strong, so I spray it in the air and then walk through it, flip my hair through it, distribute just a tiny drop on my pulsepoints - if I do it that way the sillage is perfect - it hangs close enough to my skin that it's a private scent; it's just enough for someone to catch a little whiff in the breeze I kick up when I walk by, but definitely not enough to announce my arrival to everyone. I'd say it is an ageless, beautiful woman scent - a classic.

janudy
janudy

When I wear this, I can't help but think of shoulder pads and big hair. It smells very retro on me, even though it was made in the 90s (is 90s retro? eep! I'm old). I can't wear this. It's very sharp and alcoholic on me and the peach is wrinkled and past the rotted stage.

This may turn beautiful if you give it more time, but I could not bear to have it on my skin and had to wash it off. Maybe one day I'll brave wearing it for at least an hour.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

There is something about old school 80s/90s powerhouse perfumes which reminds me so much of unbridled, youthful exuberance. Complete reckless disabandon of societal pressures. I admire that spirit & I find it here in Amarige. No one can tell Amarige what to do!

As for the actual scent itself, I am struggling to connect with it. Tuberose & overexcited carnation are adding a huge floral-spicy sinus clearing explosion to the sweeter, powdery composition beneath. Since these notes seem to be the raison d'etre for Amarige and they remain in full force for the duration of the perfume, tuberose haters need not apply!

As for me personally, I am becoming increasingly convinced that the *concept* of tuberose is significantly more attractive than the reality on my skin.

Kudos to Givenchy for having the gumption to assault us with thier floral sillage monsters. If they keep making them, I will keep trying them!

gypsykitten
gypsykitten

There are few fruity floral scents that I like, but this one is complex enough to keep me interested. On me, it starts out with creamy plums, peaches and gardenia with a faint undercurrent of something animalic that gives it a classic feel. After awhile, buttery tuberose emerges. In the final stages I smell soft woodiness and vanilla with florals in the background and the peach note lingers with me the whole way through. Good longevity even on pulse points. I like it!

naheed
naheed

This is a truly floral scent and beautiful. I have never tried Blue Lady by Rasasi but recently I was wearing Amarige and my friend mistook it for Blue Lady. I matched the notes of both the scents and they are very similar, all top, middle and bases. The bases are almost the same.

pansylady
pansylady

This is a lovely, very feminine fragrance- from the opening notes to it's last fade-out, it is white flower power, with a base line harmony of incense weaving sinuously throughout- I was expecting just a bit more sillage and longevity, though-
This fragrance reminds me of Michael Kors, but it doesn't go soapy, and I think it delivers more of a floral punch from beginning to end-

imoore
imoore

purchased a huge one back in 96 and it is ended up in my 50 years old mother's wardrobe and she loved it

Zaleska
Zaleska

Everytime I want to improve my mood, when I'm really sad, I wear this. Incredible how Amarige goes with my skin, just like a complement. And what a sillage! :)
For me it's all classy white flowers, red berries and a twist that I can't explain, but I love! :)
Happiness!

narcotic
narcotic

Amarige is the last of what I like to call the "thick" Givenchys; it gets grouped in my mind with scents like Organza and Ystatis, just before the nineties ended from whence they tended to stick with waterier and more contemporary things like Pi and Play and Very Irresistible.

That said, there's probably nothing I can say about its wonderful smell that hasn't been said before... It's shimmering and warm without going overboard on the tuberose (like Fracas is to many people, including me. Maybe my taste is not developed enough?) But I find this to be a thick, luscious scent that borders on the indecent. Love it.

Persian Belle
Persian Belle

A friend of mine used to wear it during the undergrad years. Then my mom had it. I kind of liked it on them (from afar) but could never wear it without getting a headache. I don't even like it now... I find it too sweet and heavy.

kittymoon
kittymoon

Yes, this is kind of classy but so sweet it can only be the sassy, bold, in-your-face but adorable and far more self confident little sister of Lalique. And they're Mum is called Red Door.

Zsuzsanna
Zsuzsanna

And I think it can only be worn in witer.

The_Entity
The_Entity

i like the tuberose note in this. good for daytime wear, i think it can be worn best in summer or autumn.
a frag that lifts the mood

Sissi
Sissi

White Gardenia Red Rose Succulent red berries Orchid delectable Peaches
Spicy Carnations and Woods makes me imagine a 1957 Parisien Cafe with fire red walls Abstract Fernand Leger paintings on the wall Having lunch with Audrey Hepburn Jean Seberg Brigette Bardot Simone Signoret. downstairs plays
jazz where all the chic Beatnicks hangout mixing with high class Sophisticates. This Maybe released in the 1990's but has a 50's sensibillity.

nyoka
nyoka

one whiff and i find myself in the middle of a juicy ripe fruit salad.not overpowering,just enough to make ur mouth water.then the gardenia and mimosa float up and almost make my head spin with the beauty of it.much,much later,i detect a cedary woody scent that is punchuated by sweet vanilla.truly a treasure.lasts a long time and i absolutely love all the notes.

alexanna7
alexanna7

Lasted one month on the card!one of the longest that i.ve tested.i smell somptuous romantic flowers!peach and vanilla.love that one!i think i found my wedding scent!mwarvellous!

blueberry
blueberry

Intoxicating flowers. It seems that it is the only such floral a scent that keeps me so enchanted. It is strong, long lasting, simply amazing. Very elegant and feminine, for women who know what they want. Luxurious scent.

Philo_Sofia
Philo_Sofia

I really do not know why, but this perfume is that very the one which I can't stand at all. Sadly I need to admit that during some fifteen or so years of using perfumes, this is the worst. I can't stand smelling it on me and on others either..
Strange, but when I study the notes of Amarige, I can't find anything what would annoy me.

mandi
mandi

I like this but i love Amarige Mariage.

On me all i can smell are fruits, the lovely notes in the dry down are completely lost to my nose.

It's a pleasant but demur fragrance which fails to excite me.

On me the projection is average not at all strong and certainly not overwhelming, on the contrary i was underwhelmed.

angelasings
angelasings

When I tested this I found it overwhelmingly, deliciously and richly floral. I loved it from the first moment but as the hours wore on, it stayed true and powerful. Eventually I decided my clothes weren't big enough for both of us and I changed them. If I buy some, I'll wear it sparingly!

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Wearing Amarige is like taking communion with plans for a naughty rendez-vous in the park-It's so strong, yet it has a strange soft overall quality-a confusing sweetness.

I feel that I love the scent, but at the same time it is a bit syrupy, and there's enough white florals to make one feel dizzy-But everyone knows Amarige is a "too much" scent, Amarige doesn't strive to be anything different.The image of a demure woman wearing this is far more intriguing than a shy lass wearing a few drops of Fracas-Fracas shouts "Sex!", and Amarige gives you a few winks when you lose focus.

I can tell Amarige is Givenchy, even though it is very different from Organza which is among my favorites for being spicy and toasty. It irritates me when people say these scents are mature-when they want to say that these are for older women-Maybe, but there are plenty of women of all ages (18-100+) who would be suited well by Organza and Amarige-Stronger doesn't mean more mature, just as lighter doesn't mean immature....

Organza and Amarige are both great works in white florals, both are sexy! Amarige is a bit more cloying, and succeeds in being a bit romantic while being lascivious, but they are equally strong, long-lasting and classic (classy) sillage monsters.

Vanilla violin
Vanilla violin

I love this perfume! Its extraordinary beauty stands out especially in sub zero temperatures. This January has been a very cold month here in Prague. Driving through the icy, snow covered countryside and inhaling the rich floral composition would evoke a feeling of serenity and timelessness.
Thank you, Mr Ropion!

frenkuzumu
frenkuzumu

If you would like to have a trip in time, you only need one drop of this. Alhough the perfume classified as floral, every nose can "hear" woody notes in it. If you miss your grandmother just like me, you should buy one.

Ldymrmlde
Ldymrmlde

I do feel it's changed over the years. The staying power is not what it use to be but with all that I still love it.

I always get compliments when wearing this scent. Love it!

kirbygal626
kirbygal626

This perfume is a very strong floral. My grandmother owns it and I remember going over to her house and putting some on for fun. I was a young child and the scent burnt my nose. Deffinatley not for a younger audience. After you get past the sharpness of the scent, it starts to smell quite pleasant and I would reccomend it to someone who wants a perfume that gets noticed.

alice arg
alice arg

"El nombre del perfume 'Amarige' es un anagrama de la palabra francesa "Mariage". Por eso, este perfume es tan intenso como un sentimiento fuerte, alegre, jugoso e inolvidable como un momento de mariage feliz. Es tan opulenta y florales, que parece que su composición incluye todas las flores hermosas que existen en el mundo.nLa mujer Amarige es gracioso, divertido y encantador, mujer francesa real en el amor. Ella irradia alegría y da una sonrisa de felicidad. Las notas superiores se componen de fruta fresca: melocotón, ciruela, naranja, mandarina, con la dulzura de palo de rosa y neroli. El ramo de flores, muy intenso y delicioso, se crea de mimosa, neroli, nardo, la gardenia y la acacia, con un toque gourmet de grosellero negro. La base de madera caliente se compone de almizcle, sándalo, vainilla, ámbar, haba tonka y cedro."

Persephone
Persephone

This fragrance makes me think of Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman" somehow. This is what I image Vivian would wear. Outrageously tuberosy loud and peachy naive, stupidly optimistic, artificially enchanting, but with a warm heart of course. A woman in love, but a happy drunk one. I much prefer Fracas in my tuberose choice and Poison for a deeper impact, but this one is my husband's absolute favorite. Well, at least one good sign!

HOPE007
HOPE007

Ah, one of my most favorite perfumes of all time!!

I have worn it since I was 14, I know it is much more mature than what 14 year olds typically wear - but it is so beautiful.

It changes depending on a persons body chemistry as well and can develop into something more than what you smell coming straight from the bottle.

You do not over apply it - just too overpowering if you wear too much. I use it very sparingly for this reason. Not a perfume to use heavy handed.

Just georgous and I have smelled nothing similar. I have gone through bottles and bottles and used it for over 15 years. I hope they never discontinue it, I will be so sad.

lilinah
lilinah

While i like some florals - Fracas, for example - i find many of them too sweet, too cute, somehow a bit wimpy in character (not talking about strength - that's a separate issue).

Today i tested Amarige. Wow! It is sweet, floral and feminine... and i like it! It is a rich complex blend that i found well-balanced. First is a strong scent of jasmine. Then it calms down and no one of the fragrance notes dominates but all worked together beautifully. And Amarige is very long lasting. There's something classic and truly grand about it.

sky76sky
sky76sky

I was given (& still own) the refillable gold parfum spray in a display box...even though it is all but empty I can smell armfuls of candied blooms as soon as I lift the lid - this is a powerful super-floral!

It is a super-polished, red-lipped loud-mouthed scent.....all honey-drenched, rich, thick & as elegant as being clubbed by bunches of the most expensive & diverse flowers can be (I mean this affectionately!).

It is not a scent I wore comfortably (the parfum gave me a headache) & I found it so strong that it almost walked around the corner & made its entrance before me. Back then, it wore me, not the other way round!

It is a scent of its time, not my preference, but appreciated for its unique, star-quality. Floral opulance in the extreme - one thousand gilded flowers & fruits raining down upon your skin!

rosesbecomeme
rosesbecomeme

A beautiful floral, long lasting. It reminds me a little of 1000 . It's a miracle these days to buy a scent that lasts longer than about ten mimutes.

ElyBUK
ElyBUK

I bought my first bottle of Amarige during my 2003 Christmas vacation in Malta. I still have 1/4 of the bottle left because the fragrance is strong and long-lasting. For me, Amarige can pass for both day and evening wear: it is sweet yet floral, feminine and unchildish, sharp and later powdery. I am doing what I can to finish off the bottle to make room for another fragrance I intend to wear regularly over the next 5 years. Amarige lasts and lasts.

essija

Amarige is a full blown love for me, always has been and always will be. It's definatley one I can pick out on someone wearing but hopefully I'm the only one around wearing this beauty. Love the sweet richness it has and the staying power, perfect for fall reminds me of the autumn leaves.

cherryfairy
cherryfairy

The richness,warmth and happiness of a woman in love.
Yes, it seems a bit dated now, but the classic notes, the superb staying power, the balance of spicyness and sweetness never seem dated to me-Amarige was an instant classic from the moment it hit the market.

I fell in love with Amarige in 1991 and use it for at least 4 years. It was magical, enticing, intoxicating, ultra-feminine, floral-oriental. Yes, a big statement, but used with sense it was perfect. Well, I actually used a good dose of it! It smelled fresh and sexy at the same time and it was man-magnet. Then suddenly the magic broke down and for many years I didn't care about this one. I could barely stand the strong smell of it. I think there are psychological reasons for this change and I believe they can affetc phisical reactions.
I always have a mini bottle in my perfume closet. I need to smell it from time to time, I don't know why. To be honest I have a felling that the scent has been modified and made less refined than the bottles from '90s.
I got so many compliments about it back in the years and when I wear just a drop now it smells so strong!
Someone mentioned vulgarity... yes, I feel that too! I don't really know which notes give that effect, but I smell the vulgarity and indecence effect. It smells like something a rich, not so "modest and demure" woman would wear, hahah! I imagine a woman with beautiful features and with dirty promiscuous behaviours, the kind of women usually men are naturally sexually attracted without even realising and other women radar-point them from 3km like the ones who will make moves on their bfs even in their presence. I don't think this is a scent for mature women. I smelled it on ladies over 40 and it was so out of place!

EdiT: I'm not so far from being 40... probably not a matter of age but rather of chemistry. I think that Amarige needs ultra-clean skin.

inikaurora
inikaurora

Too much of everything mixed in this perfume,for me it is like trash can of perfumeur nose after his workday...
i feel it sticky

azuriiita

Nobody forget you if you wear it.
Its notable and very recognizable.

This fragrance gives me the sensation of a conjunct of resins, fruits, woods, spices to heighten every flower inside this.

Its sweet with pointed notes. One classic of Givenchy.
Also, this have the property to be almost equal on everybody... independently of chemistry combination with the skin. Its always "Amarige".

I'm not very familiar with Givenchy fragrances as of yet, but this fragrance is certainly very memorable and beautiful, and is one of friend's signature scents.

Like most people have mentioned here, this is a very strong floral fragrance. It's strong in an elegant and sophisticated fashion rather than being offensive and "in your face".

The scent is rich and spicy with subtle hints of fruit, rather oriental and unique. The notes of orange blossom and peach are quite prominent, making it sweet and feminine.

I absolutely love that my friend wears this scent well, it blends perfectly with her skin chemistry, making this classic fragrance smell exotic and sensual. However on myself, Amarige is quite powdery. Not terrible, but not as beautiful as when others wear it.

I suggest that you try this before you buy to see whether it matches your chemistry.

azuriiita

Nadie te olvidará nunca, si usas esta fragancia... es notable y sumamente distinguible.
Me da la sensación que, por cada flor han colocado un fruto, madera, resina o especie que realza su aroma.
Es dulce, y tiene notas agudas. Un clásico. Yo le reconozco donde sea.
Además, tiene la particularidad que su esencia es practicamente invariable según sea la química de la piel. Es siempre "Amarige"

veronique
veronique

This is very classy and unique scent. Fairly strong, too sweet for my taste.

allexa27
allexa27

One of my favourite smells ever!!!Too bad that gives me headache,but it doesnt matter,I love it and i will buy it tomorrow!I will take a pill for the headache:),but i will wear the perfume!

minimalist
minimalist

Hmmm...Beam me up Scotty and let me smell this scent forever!

linden tree
linden tree

Yes,very 90,s,the 90's are good years for perfume!This perfume is me!it's intoxicating and full of flower,late and warm spring in a bottle.And,i don't know how,i found in it my favorite linden flower.If this is for old woman,ok,i'm old and i love it!!

kayka
kayka

i had it. now, i think, this is a perfume for my mom ;)
i meant, it is not for young women.

maybe, i will use it one day.

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

The original flower "bomb"! What a riotous explosion of white florals! "Amarige" has great staying power, and stays true from morning to evening. It is an elegant scent without feeling stuffy, classic without feeling dated.

Malegria
Malegria

A very original composition, can`t mistake it for nothing else! as for elegant - I don`t know.It has something close to indecency in it...There are some offensive notes that are strangely attractive - wilted flowers, rotten fruit? I don`t know! But it makes me think more of a beautiful but vulgar girl, enjoying all her sins and bathing in her rude attractiveness, then of a woman in love,which this perfume is obviously dedicated to.Sinful, sinful. This one should be named Ange ou Demon!!!!

bluesuze
bluesuze

I have always wanted to try this scent, and spritzed some on my wrist recently. I immediately did not like this scent, very strong smelling and almost smells a little outdated to me. I do like florals, but they are too potent in this perfume. I also thought this smelled almost oriental. I know many people love this scent, but it did not fit my tastes.

onthemoon
onthemoon

Ah! A true classic in my book. I can immediately tell when a woman is wearing this scent. Its last power is incredible and the drydown is simply beautiful. I have introduced Amarige to its newest fans: my mother and grandmother. They fell in love with it too!

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I was lucky enough to win Amarige from Fragrantica! Thanks, guys! :-)

I had never smelled this prior to winning it, but I do love it so! It is listed here as a Floral, but I get more of the fruits and creamy vanilla/tonka bean base notes than the flowers.

This scent is very soft and slightly sweet on my skin. It's a warm, comforting scent, perfect for all seasons and all ages. I have the EDT and it has good sillage and decent staying power for this concentration (4-6 hours).

essija

I have purchased this perfume more times than any other fragrance. Wore it forever, now I'm missing it. It is a happy smell, so vibrant, any girl or woman can wear this. Now I'm wanting to purchase again.. Huge Fan. Always will be, yes be prepared to get lots of compliments... Sweet & Gold scent..

d dolce vitta
d dolce vitta

This parfum to me is like gold, i swore that was an oriental parfum, because i sorprise when i read that is a floral perfume because the base notes like vanilla, ambar and sandallwood, still all day long in a delicated way. It makes you fell like in a holliday. I recomended this parfum for young and elegants women.

golden
golden

Reminds me of the good old days. Comfortable and warm inside.Mmmmm.........

worshipmoments
worshipmoments

My auntie gave me this in 1999, since then I keep using it. It's a long lasting fragrance and smells fabulous on me....love it

tasha0705
tasha0705

Unfortunately, this perfume reminds me of sorrow, because I bought it the same day my dear deceased brother went to hospital. Whenever I feel it on somebody else, 13 years just fly back. It's such a pitty, it should have been a romantic, happy perfume, related to happy youthful days, and that's how it all ended...but, it is nice and very creamy

Migotka
Migotka

I am a huge fan of most Dominique Ropion's creations. I actually have a couple in my collection, and accidentally found out they were all designed by the same nose.
So I went to the store to look of other perfumes he created, and found this one. I can't say- it is a smell that suits me quite well. However, it seems a bit out of date, you can tell it was designed in early '90. Maybe I would use it for some very special occasion...

cdawnn1
cdawnn1

I thought I would love this, because I like many rich, spicy scents and the sales associate at Macy's had a feeling I would like this. To me, it smelled too tart and too powdery. My boyfriend smelled the tester and did not like it either. I'm surprised it wasn't my taste, because the notes make it sound lovely, and I know many people that rave about this fragrance. Not for me, although there must be reasons why many people love it!

soirdelune
soirdelune

Well, I'm a florals fan but this is just too strong for me. Very 90s, I wouldn't go back to this scent.

elgab89
elgab89

A perfume that I go back to time and time again. An elegant floral. I always get compliments on it.

2007

AMARIGE for WOMEN by Givenchy EDT SPRAY 3.3 OZ
AMARIGE for WOMEN by Givenchy EDT SPRAY 3.3 OZ
Amarige Perfume by Givenchy - 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Amarige Perfume by Givenchy - 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Givenchy Les Parfums Mythiques - Extra-Vagance d'Amarige Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Givenchy Amarige Eau De Toilette Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Givenchy 'Amarige' Eau de Toilette
Givenchy 'Amarige' Eau de Toilette
Givenchy 'Amarige' Eau de Toilette 3.3 oz
Givenchy 'Amarige' Eau de Toilette 3.3 oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Givenchy Amarige fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Givenchy Amarige, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Amarige by Givenchy. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Amarige by Givenchy represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.