Designers » F-H » Woody « Groups

Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy for men

Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy for men
dislike

I have it: 600 I had it: 298 I want it: 300 My signature: 26

Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy for men Pictures Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy for men Pictures Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy for men Pictures

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy is a Woody fragrance for men. Givenchy Gentleman was launched in 1974. The nose behind this fragrance is Paul Leger. Top notes are honey, cinnamon, bergamot, rose, lemon and tarragon; middle notes are patchouli, orris root, jasmine and cedar; base notes are leather, amber, patchouli, musk, oakmoss, vanilla, vetiver and civet.

Honey Cinnamon Bergamot Rose Lemon Tarragon

Moods by Krizia Uomo
Narciso Rodriguez for Him

Givenchy Gentleman Fragrance Reviews

Bbjr

Shamus1 pretty much nailed it in his review. Although the vintage version was a bit (ok maybe a lot) stronger and contains the heavy civet note, the new version is a very good fragrance. Not as in your face and can be worn anytime. I find the dry down to be almost as good as the vintage, just lighter. But good stuff all the same. Don't shut the door completely on reformulations until you've given them a chance, you just never know. I'm personally guilty of basically discounting every reformulated fragrance simply because I like the vintage "strong" " loud" fragrances of the 80's. I went for months thinking the reformulated version of GBH, which is not far off from GG, was absolute crap. Then one day I realized "hey, this stuff smells good in its own right" and I've been wearing it ever since.

Paulo Rocha
Paulo Rocha

Well, well, well...what shall I say? I've been a little bored by the majority of modern EDT: most of them smell pretty much the same, apart the olfactory groups to which they belong. So, I've decided to give a try to the "old fashioned ones". About them, the least you can say is that all of them have personality and character. You can tell at once "who is who". I have nothing against the scents that many young lads would call "old" or "dated" once they appeal to my nose; I'm not into "fashion", I'm into pleasure and well being. But in this case, I'll have to agree: GG might have been a fabulous perfume, it sure IS a classic, but you have to have the knack for using this one. The closest thing I can imagine of is the old Kouros, not the smell, obviously, but the power. You either love it or hate it; no inbetween. An avalanche of patchouly; it sticks to your skin almost stinking (pardon pour le lettre). It sure smells like grandaddy, or even grandma, which would not forcibly be bad, once they smelled good. I know I may annoy the fans of Givenchy Gentleman but, to be polite, I'd say that if you intend to try this one, make sure you do not blind buy it. Wear it for yourself alone first, then proceed to see the effect GG provokes in those around you to see if it is worthwhile. If it suits you, who am I to say what you should use. I really didn't like it.
#2 - I've been using it for a while, and I will change my view a little bit. I still find it strong and no good for warmer days, but it has hooked on me. Even though it is monochromatic, it has personality and a certain charm. Not so bad as I first thought.

MoonB
MoonB

Very nice fragrance, mysteriously unique. Good longevity. This will surely make you smell different from the mainstream mass of fragrances out there.

RHONORAY
RHONORAY

I wish it had more staying power, because the opening is as good as it gets. Yes the opening is that good, but the current formulation just doesn't last.

Dodgy
Dodgy

Reading through these comments/reviews, I realise it must be me, but this just seems to smell of chlorine bleach on me

I've tried vintage and reformulated and the newer one isn't bad, but if you really want the power and richess of the vintage it may not satisfy you. In any case, there is a huge camphorous quality to this scent that has led to me scrubbing it off not long after application, so you have to like that aspect of it. I would go with a gentler approach, such as Heritage EdP, but this one is certainly going to have its fans.

THERE IS NO COMPARISON TO THE ORIGINAL ONE
Basically 40% different fragrance

THERE IS NO COMPARISON TO THE ORIGINAL ONE
Basically 40% different fragrance

Jun0711
Jun0711

This cologne is old fashioned type cologne nowadays. I don't know why that most of mens fragrances released in 70s & early 80s have similar scent for me even Brand is different. I like Givenchy Gentleman cologne especially last part. But I feel first part is a Grandpa scent cologne same as the other colognes have.

maio2012
maio2012

I like the reformulated one, but I loved the original. The fragrance is very similar, but the sillage and, specially, the longevity, is poor. Sad, but true.

Jerry Can
Jerry Can

I have worn the EdT for about 40 years - and I actually prefer this latest version to the one I was first acquainted with. An amazing oakmoss, patchouli, honey, amber and leather creation. I notice civet is still cited in its composition - which surprises me because it is no longer obvious. It never stopped me wearing Givenchy Gentleman, but civet spoiled it in my opinion. So, a favourite of mine has just got better.

It has always been known for its wonderful sophistication and potency. (It still announces your arrival!) Personally, I wear this the whole year round, daytime and evening and would say it is notable for the compliments it yields. A stand alone true original and unmistakeable when encountered. Deserves the accolade "great". Unashamedly French. Stunningly beautiful. The love affair continues…

pedrozanforlin
pedrozanforlin

Wonderful, mature, serious and sophisticated. Timeless, not old fashioned.

JohnB2014
JohnB2014

If you want a perfect winter eau de toilette and you have a beard, hairy chest and you are a stylish urban lumberjack? This is the one! amazing.

guerlainfreak
guerlainfreak

Reformulations are a reality in today's cosmetics industry. Therefore, there is no sense to wish for days gone by. The restrictions are there, in place, unlikely to be overturned. And let's face it, profit will also get on the way of getting some of the elements that made perfumes from yesteryear so distinctive.
On to the fragrance. Ok, this will smell dated for you if the reference point is today's current offering of mass marketed, bland fragrances that fill any department store.
This fragrance is excellent. Buyer's beware: if you are not into patchouli, better stay away. But there's more than patchouli in Givenchy's Gentlemen. The woods are there, so nicely blend with the rose. In this fragrance, dating back from 1974, you find the DNA of many newer fragrances. La Male from JPG, Spicebomb from V&R and even some resemblance with Angel from TM comes to mind. It is all here. Done in a very different time. This is what men's colognes should smell like. Distinctive, mysterious, bold, yet not vulgar. Some call it dated, I call it class.

pronose
pronose

used to be a great scent! but after the reformulation has lost it's charm!

Amin Kordi
Amin Kordi

In a word:
With this fragrance you smell like a MAN.
در یک کلام خلاصه میکنم:
با این عطر بوی یک مرد رو میدید

Redbeard
Redbeard

I just broke my sample vial of this, so quickly and from memory I'd call it honeyed blonde wood with some sharp herbs and slight leather. It felt like a drier Zino to me at times, with patchouli and rose...maybe somewhere between Zino and Bel Ami. It gets off to a harsh cigarettey start which I think would be really off-putting to a lot of younger audiences, and then weakens substantially by the end, leaving the vaguest traces of something pleasant.

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

A case of the rerelease just not being that good! A vintage aftershave formulation mini has more presence than the whole mess bottle of a new edt.

The gentlemanly, nigh-sinister depth of the original is lost to a cinnamon toast clean patchouli dullness in the new. This is the remake of Solaris level of crime!

Unsurprising somehow that the strange-sexy Eartha Kitt wore the original; it was the most unique patchouli I've ever smelled: not chocolately, not dank, not bitter ... rather somewhere between barbershop and dream palace?

dubairob
dubairob

This is the first review that I have written that is in any way negative about a fragrance. Let me say firstly that Givenchy Gentleman is a fragrance that I have 'wanted' to like for some time as I am quite partial to classic French fragrances. However, in this case - and it is something I agree with some previous reviewers on - the patchouli note is simply far too dominant through the life of the fragrance to give it any great appreciation. This gives a somewhat dated feel (yes, hippies smoking is an association) and an altogether linear journey.

Another factor is that patchouli is done so much better in other fragrances, not least the more contemporary Narciso Rodriquez For Him. Intended as a homage to the big fragrances of the 80s, NRFH nevertheless covers this 1974 territory as well - and really does it so much better.

Pity really, but it does need to be said....

Arbre Amer
Arbre Amer

After all the praise this frag has amassed I just had to try it and try it I did... repeatedly, over time I reached for that... ugliest bottle on the shelf, the one with the cheap tacky label and the squirt gun of an atomiser, because a) I am a big patchouli fan and b) I never want to give up when it comes to legends... Alas it is time to let this one go and admit it; I just won't get what all the fuss is about. Honey? Rose? Cinnamon? Jasmine? Civet? Where did they all go? Probably eaten by the huge PATCHOULI, which pretty much sums it all up. Old fashioned and reminiscent of grandparents of both sexes, living(?) surrounded by furniture wrapped in plastic in miserable houses where no grandchildren ever visit, a totally unattractive brew, smelling as cheap as the packaging looks.

It gives me the same feeling I get from Vicious, the saddest comedy show of British television.

ZELJO
ZELJO

for my birthday, every year I use a perfum than I consider special, well, my birthday is today, Jan 15 and thats the one I have used this time, smells like rich cognag, like when you enter an old aristochratic atelier or an hotel hall with more than 100 years, in a word, CLASS

williammarley
williammarley

absolutely love this stuff
one of those scents i bought on holiday years ago and now when i spray it on it takes me straight back to great times in sunny tenerife....... a classic

rum
rum

If you've never smelt this wonderful note, patchouli, I would urge you to try "Gentleman" by Givenchy. The scent has been around for ages - I wore it back in the late 90s. I simply don't get the whole marketing thing around this one, but as a fragrance it is really quite enjoyable.
Patchouli is an earthy scent. In fact it's a *wet* earthy scent. Now, you may be thinking earth is like soil, mud and compost heaps, but this is nothing but that. Imagine the earthy smell after the rainfall, the clean and crisp aspect of it and you've got patchouli. It's quite a masculine note and not one to be used sparingly.
"Gentleman" also has a good leather note in it too and this blends particularly well with the patchouli.
All in all, a very simple, yet powerful Eau de Toilette that is truly worth a sniff at the very least.

KJS88
KJS88

This comes across as pretty much just patchouli. Dry, yet soft and pliable patchouli. The texture is like rolling tobacco. The smell unmistakably patchouli.

I wished I could have recognised some of the other elements, but I don't.

Great if you want a mature, somewhat elegant, non-stanky, non-skanky patchouli to flesh out your wardrobe.

Similar to the Giorgio, but much more pallitable.

Sort of reminds me of light Russian Caravan tea.

orestes

refolmulated,yes,but still remains a real male fragrance!

smellywellies
smellywellies

Givenchy Gentleman; this fragrance is in a league of it's own!! Apart from the more slightly feminine Rance fragrance for men. GG hits all the key notes for masculinity, in the sweetest way possible! There is nothing cheap, nasty or unappealing about this man. Definitely a sexy winner!!!

eliwilly
eliwilly

The great The Best The only. ...forever

orestes

Refolmulated,but still remains one of the best male fragrances!

Critic
Critic

Patchouli. Lots of it. Smells like you just rolled around in a heap of freshly dug soil. There IS a hint of 80's powerhouse notes i.e. leather, honey e.t.c. But mostly patchouli.

spankrabbit
spankrabbit

I have the reformulation and I struggle with it moving between hate and love in the same wearing. The top notes are just too much. The honey/citrus/cinnamon battle is a harsh one. Once this settles down I can enjoy the patchouli and jasmine but it starts to go bad as it moves into the drydown...smells too much like a potting shed.

There's a great scent in here somewhere and I think (hope) it's a matter of me testing it in different weather or adjusting the number of sprays.

roll4fun
roll4fun

Test spray on inner arm got off to a good start. I got some solid initial honey/cinnamon notes that gradually gave way to leather/patchouli scent, with a slight hint of musk and vanilla. Projection was solidly moderate.

However, somewhere in the 60-90 minute timeframe, "Gentlemen" took on an insecticide, fertilizer like odor that never quite went away after 3-4 hours. This test should be an object lesson to try out a fragrance for its complete life prior to buying. Sorry to say, I'm passing on this after having an initial interest in buying.

CDGfan
CDGfan

I have the vintage on my left arm and the current 2013 formulation on the other. Givenchy did a good job with the reformulation and did not butcher it like they did with Xeryus Rouge (which is awful). The vintage is more sexy and musky, thats the big difference you will notice. The civet blends with the patchouli and cinnamon to create a very breath taking and masculine scent. The current formulation, has poor-average longevity and sillage but its not sexy like pre 2003 formulation which lasts long and has average to very good projection.The scent is similar, the patchouli and cinnamon are there but the civet is gone, I don't detect any civet in the current formulation. Some people find civet too retro or pissy, but it adds a very sexual and musky dimension to fragrances.
9/10 old formulation
6/10 current formulation.

ed

I only have the vintage version in the (no doubt CFC-containing) aerosol glass bottle. It's extremely rich and powerful. As rich as a sherry trifle on Christmas day. Patchouli, rose and cinnamon are probably responsible for this.

At first, I found it too rich and overpowering. Once I got used to it, I can appreciate its beauty. I'd say it's best as an evening fragrance.

Despite being called 'Gentleman', I personally find it (at least the vintage version) slightly feminine. Few masculines have such richness. A mature woman could wear this too, but not a girl!

Loifeel
Loifeel

Nothing is BEAUTIFUL like the vintage one, with real okamoss and strong concentration. The old After shave is stronger than the current EDT, i don't tell more than this...
Old Formula 10/10
New Formula 5/10

alberto1964
alberto1964

A timeless classic fragrance. Reformulated but with very positive results.
10/10.

ed

The vintage and the modern smell like different frags to me! It's not often I say this.

voltaire
voltaire

Please bring the old one back...thank you !!!
i remember the old one, and i have a little sample the old this is better and this more elegant scent, the new fomulation is more syntetic.. :-(

Quasar

Rueful halted rueful halted refulmulated refulmulated.!!!!!!!

Scent was more radiant amazingly lake type watery earthy leafy opening like standing next to the lake in the forest after the rain........noooow

This is toooo sweet .....too heavy patchuly is to heavy and vanilla type ....still nice scent but
It is very ferry different from original one

Please bring the old one back

Thee Arabian Knight
Thee Arabian Knight

Well made by Givenchy. A very masculine and powerful fragrance for the mature gentleman. However, all these classics smell very similar to me because they either have lots of woods or a really nasty civet note. This fragrance combines both notes in a very good way, I guess. The honey in it makes it more pleasing to my nose than all the other cloying powerhouses. A solid fragrance indeed, though not something I would wear. Maybe when I'm older.

Spartaco
Spartaco

Hi. Reformulates, black cap opens with honey and cinnamon(lemon and bergamot are almost imperceptible), the rose is there. After a few minutes the patchouli takes over and the only other notes recognizable are leather and oak moss (civet is not there). I would put in the group chypre, not woody.

spaniel
spaniel

Well made, but nasty. Sorry - I know this gets lots of love. I get musty claustrophobia inducing walls of patchouli. Old mannish. Not for me.

gsevrain
gsevrain

Un clasico de los clasicos, perfume amaderado, animal, fuerte, con personalidad, bien varonil, es mucho mas rico despues de la primera 1/2 hra de puesto. Gran perdurabilidad + de 12 hs. Muy buena calidad. Un perfume que volveria a tener. Calificacion General 9/10.

manzoor86
manzoor86

Rain,Love and Givenchy Gentleman...
All That I Can Say...

gd15329

My wife doesn't like it but I find it exceptional despite it's age... I will buy it as soon as possible ;-) :-P

demby
demby

givenchy gentleman es una de mis fragancias favoritas , me remonta a los años cuando la olí por primera ves ,y sencillamente me fui a comprar el frasco mas grande,
esto fue hace ya mucho años, y nunca estoy sin esta fragancia de repente la dejo de usar un tiempo ....pero regreso a ella...
tiene excelente fijador y puede ser usada tanto de día como de noche.
para mi su principal nota es el patchouli entre otras especias , es exótica y sofisticada

simplemente me gusta mucho.

shahab.zaidi
shahab.zaidi

I was so keen to own this and finally bought it. What a glory this is. Delicate and bit soft in middle notes. Masterpiece. And one thing more its a mysterious fragrance.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

I have to start off by saying that I had sampled Gentlemen Only first. Months later, I decided to seek out Gentleman and all I can say is WOW BABY...THIS ONE ROCKS !!!!
I to would of been of the same opinon as many were for Gentleman Only if I had started off with Gentleman first. I now understand and see why Givenchy attempt a modern day version of a TRULY, ABSOLUTELY and a STELLAR of a fragrance which is a pillar in their men's colognes from G.
Now about this stunning frag, I was blown away after I sampled this frag. I never thought that this frag was so sophisticated which is much more suitable for a mature age. It was a no brainer...I bought it asap !!!!
When I first sprayed it, it came across a bit heavy. After a few minutes I was able to smell the top notes of honey, cinnamon and rose...a touch of a warm spicy scent. The two notes of patchouli and jasmine gives this frag a real nice floral/sweet aroma. The base notes I could detect was leather, musk, oakmoss, cedar, and vetiver...a gem with a woodsy scent. Also the base notes of musk, vanilla with the top note of honey gives that warm/spicy aroma. The top/base notes is so magnetic and that's what a lot of women want from their men... to smell SEXY !!!!
Longevity is MAGNIFICENT...well past 10hrs.
Sillage is also excellent, you certain know when someone is wearing Gentleman..even if your not that close.
Overall opinion,
First off, this frag has to be one of very few that own where I can real say that it doesn't have a synthetic aroma to it what so ever !!!!
I can not begin to describe what a GREAT CLASSIC this frag is !!! The aroma is so unique that it couldn't be mistaken for something else. So what can say about a frag that doesn't just take your breath away, it gives you such a animalistic aroma...well you know the rest !!!

HELL YES !!!!!! 100%, 10/10, 5 stars you name it...its a MASTERPIECE and now part of my signature frag in my collections...BRAVO GIVENCHY, SIMPLY THE BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

July 31st, 2013.

This is classic, loveable and masculine. Poise and lordliness would be fine adjectives to give this fragrance.

If patchouli and leather is what you like, you will certainly like Gentleman.
It matches any smart outfit you wear and any self-confident attitude.

Patchouli is very strong with hints of citrus - which make it fresh - (I admit that on some skins, like mine, Gentleman may smell a little like zoo cage, but that is something people will not notice; not even you, unless you dive your nose where you applied) and after about and hour you can smell leather and honey in a very nice composition. All of that is softly improved by the gentle sweetness of oak moss. Naturally that dynamics will vary from skin to skin. Let us not forget about that. So try it on your skin and give it some time to work before you buy it.

If leather notes should be louder as in Cabochard by Grès, which goes nice for men as well, Gentleman would be even prettier.

Très chic, bien sûr!

Liberty Freak 1776
Liberty Freak 1776

Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy is a mature - but not OLD - parfum that embodies class, sophistication and good taste with its initial twang of green and citrus providing a touch of refreshing astringency. The civet reminds me that it was a predecessor and possible mentor to its wilder cousin, KOUROS. The animalic touch yields richness and interest but remains just calm enough to be office friendly. Finally the patchouli woody sweetness - not candy-ish or immature - (probably the honey?) comes through in the dry down of this long lasting gem. Wonderful!

jivanshi
jivanshi

It must have suffered its share of reformulations over the years, like all of the classics, but this one, I have known this since its beginning, when I was a kid and my father had it, and I have used it a lot over the years: to my nose it remained the same. Recently I have bought a bottle in May, batch from Feb 2013, and it's the same as it always was - to me, at least! It is true that only recently I was struck by this perfumania, I have never payed much attention to fragrances before and there might have been some variations, but I am standing proof that if you don't really look for them, they will not shout at you, at least in this case, in which the reformulations were done properly.

Marciu

Is it possible it was reformulated more than once?

I tested it yesterday along with Gentlemen Only and had a feeling its flanker was finally stronger and longer lasting than original Gentleman, however the opening is still stronger and has bigger sillage in Gentleman.

This fragrance works sooo well in the summer heat! Honey, cinnamon and rose combined together are masterpiece on my skin. I reccomend you all to try it now, in the summer!

ppokpoon
ppokpoon

This is definitely a superb and timeless fragrance for men. Its scent is warm, pleasant and strong. It lasts long per application too. I have used up a few bottles of it. Even if it has been in production for decades, I feel its scent is not old-fashioned. Anyway, this one is highly recommended for mature men, especially those in office uniform.

heeven
heeven

I liked this fragrance a lot when I bought it. It was strong, mature, masculine and long-lasting. But I got very self-conscious about wearing it after a while since its sillage was so heavy that it kind of smelled like urine. The smell starts to get powdery after an hour which makes it more bearable. Some complained to me that this fragrance smelled like cleaning products.

twlahue

I have tried it several times. My wife does not care for it and I have received no compliments from anyone. The staying power is moderate to weak.

Tatos
Tatos

Bought this cologne blindly based on good reviews. I like Givenchy as a brand and the bottle looks smart and simple.
My first reaction to the scent was I didn't like it. Way way too much Wax and Honey, wearing this cologne is like living in a beehive. And when you spray it on it feels sticky on your skin. Sometimes I wear it around the house to try to get used to it but so far I still don't like it. I gave it to my dad.

morinaga787
morinaga787

its a surprise fragrance especially when it gets wet it becomes more beautiful such that when someone smells he gets mad after it.

Sambolini
Sambolini

The vintage version is absolutely fantastic. It's mind-bogglingly good, everyone's put in their two cents on the notes so that's all I need to say. This is one fragrance that every man should have in his wardrobe.

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

Givenchy Gentleman is a Classical masterpiece. Although, I don't think this scent can be called "dated" and "old-fashioned" when it is compared to so many modern releases on the niche fragrance market? Bond No. 9 (H.O.T), Etro (Patchouly), Reminiscence (Patchouli Homme) etc. This to me is the ultimate masculine patchouli scent and is evidently highly relevant to modern male perfumery. However, Gentleman delivers a double punch combination, when it hits you with a big Russian leather glove. This heavy patchouli/leather combo makes it extremely powerful and masculine, especially by today's standards, where everything has to be toned down, candy sweet and unisex. Even the latest reformulation, which has been toned down a notch, will still be too much for some people.

This was my signature scent in my early twenties when I was a young Executive, working in London. I wore over-priced Armani suits and had an over-ambitious ego. Hence, it is the scent of my youth, hard days at the office and long wild nights fuelled with women, wine and cigars! It is a nostalgic cologne for me, I still wear it and I still love it. Pure class.

pdschrader
pdschrader

I don't have a "signature" fragrance, but I have decided that Givenchy Gentleman must be some type of standard for me, as the "People Who Like This Also Like" section lists almost everyone of my "love it" fragrances near the top when I look at the Gentleman review. It is sexy, without being "in your face" about it, a classic without being dated, elegant without being something you reserve only for formal occasions, and completely classy. The truth is I don't wear Gentleman that often, but when I can't make up my mind which of my favorites I will wear, I often just grab Gentleman as a "go to" cologne. It just seems to have bits and pieces of my favorites, without actually being my favorite, a fact I find very interesting.

orchid thief
orchid thief

no doubt, one of the best scents ever

dormir6
dormir6

Classic, wealhty, elegant but definately not boring. A man has to wear it, because it has depth and power and sophistication. For those who have taste and confidence.

Bbjr

This is a great scent, almost exactly the same as Bond HOT Always. However, this smells NOTHING like Giorgio, not even close. The dry down on GG is one of the best of all time.

GMK
GMK

I really respect this classic but despite repeated attempts i really cant stand the leather / patchouli combo...not for me...

Marciu

I have to make a little correction in my review. I tested Gentleman a little more and I can surely say, that it's a whole-year-round fragrance BUT it smells better in summer and spring!

I wore it today(actually I still am wearing it) today on my forearm and what came to my nostrils were beautiful smells of rose and honey, combined together, after the patchouli beggining. YES, rose, big amount of rose!

So, NO, it's not so heavy as it seems to be.

limited Edition
limited Edition

Try to purchase the original formulation if possible..a synthetic note has been added to the recent formulation and it dosnt quite make the muster..

ezequiel91

Maybe PERFECT... no joking.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Funny thing - I normally like the classic fragrances for men. But some of this was put on a test strip for me and it just about seared my nostrils. PUHWOW! This smells exactly like one of my mother's kitchen drawers in the old house we rented when I was a small child, an awful, greasy-spicy messy smell. I drew back and crossed my eyes it was so bad. Hideous.

The stuff in the tester must have been bad or gone off. I cannot believe, given the reviews here, that we are all smelling the same thing. I plan to find this somewhere else and give it another try.

gd15329

Damn! I've should had chosen this one over Hugo Boss Boss Number One (with my blind buy back then)
Givenchy Gentleman Givenchy for men was a masterpiece of its time... and IT STILL IS.
Sure for more mature men not for boys, but not for old men necessarily, any real man over 28 can wear this. (with the proper respect on the trigger)

strong woody-warm spicy-animalic-leather

To my nose it was similar to La Collection Rive Gauche Pour Homme Yves Saint Laurent for men

--George Dreamer (20/3/2013)

Marciu

This one is an absolutely classic fragrance. One of the best(if not THE BEST) from Givenchy.

It's richness always surprises me when I wear it. It's full of honey, patchouli and leather. Of course there are a lot more "ingredients", but my nose does not detect each one of them :) I don't feel any civet. In one word - MASTERPIECE.

I think it's not for old men only. I'm 26 and I feel very comfortable wearing it. It fits winter, eventually fall better. Perfect for the suit and very good for the casual dress.

Brilliant.

twlahue

I am over 40 and like this ok.
It is not overpowering, but no one in my world likes this, at all. It is going to the back of the shelf.

THE BEST FRAGRANCE EVER
Nothing compares to this one
ITs timeless Like Chanel mr 5
Maybe this how Chanel nr 5 for man should smell?
MASTERPIECE

Scent mystery
Scent mystery

I tested it on a shop. Very very dark cologne. Incredible and truly manly. Will buy it soon. It should rather be called a patcholli bomb.

avijit.mitra1
avijit.mitra1

Itz very hard to explain about this perfume, totally stucked to my soul with d first sneef... only a single word 'amazing'!!!!! The masterpiece ll never disappoint u. you may love it or hate it, bt cant ignore it... :))

FourOfKind
FourOfKind

I could not write about it without emotions. This is truely and absolutely MASTERPIECE. Even the reformulated version. The Paul Leger was inspired by God during work on it.
This is oriental, woody and leathery heaven for my nose. Absolutely manly scent. So far I do not know better scent even if I know most of them.

renoir
renoir

By far this is the best leathery perfume ever blended so far. It is a classical, I should have kept the classical bottle, but I never guessed they were going to change it! I hope they never stop making it because it is a masterpiece. The longevity and sillage are just amazing. The honey is blended marvelously to give a hint of sweetness, the vanilla a minute effect (thankfully, in short a genius was at work when this perfume came to be.

The other Givenchy that I love is Xeryus Rouge.

d-d-d-drew
d-d-d-drew

I just scored a vintage bottle of Givenchy Gentleman, the tall cylindrical bottle version, and I believe I'm already high on the stuff. Being a 70's kid, I feel once again connected to that era from which I was born, and lemme tell ya, it smelled GREAT!

I'm enjoying all the richness of the raw, not so shy materials, the earthy patchouli, the rich leather, the spiciness, the sheer unapologetic strength of it all. I understand its intensity and power aren't for everyone, but I truly feel this aromatic, masculine scent was made for people like me who can appreciate its decadence. It's rare that I immediately connect with a fragrance; the way it agrees with my chemistry, how all my senses seem to perk up and feel something deep that longs to be enveloped in its warmth and complexity.

The sillage is great, as is the longevity. Not even one hour into wearing it, I've already received a compliment, and I think it's because you don't smell something like this everyday. Especially not nowadays. I hear that the reformulation is a wimpier version of what I'm experiencing. No thanks. I'll stick to the original.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Gentleman and classic!
This fragrance is a woody fine, classic and very well prepared.
A set of intense patchouli wrapped in honey, with a base of a legitimate Russian leather. I feel lighter shades of cinnamon that warms the fragrance, more classic or mature, by the presence of moss behind all these aromas and transforms into a chypre with a refined air.

hadrian
hadrian

One of the greatest.
An all time classic.
I can not be objective regarding this treasure. Having it as my signature scent (since 2010), I frequently taste the joy of wearing it. Three shots, not more, and every guy can signal "a man is back in town".
Congrats & thanks to all our younger friends who dislike it - that*s why will remain for the others (all of us, the matures ones) the pleasure and the honour to keep that legend alive - with good results in our alter-gender environment!
An everyday satisfaction.
Overall, 9+/10

herreroph
herreroph

it's a master piece
Un clasico que no sucumbira al tiempo.

shannonny
shannonny

My husband reached way back into his days as a Beau Brummel and came up with this for me to buy him as a gift, since I like smelling scent on him and he won't wear Acqua di Selva for me except at Christmastime (and I wish he'd soak his undershirts in it). I must agree with the men who have reviewed GC: It's ultra-edgy and cool and assertively swank. It makes my taste buds tingle. Frankly, it's a little too tingly for the San Diego suburbs in which we live. But my husband is a born-and-bred New Yorker, and when he thinks scent, he thinks Manhattan Man-About-Town. So GC, on tweeds and leathers and a freshly shaved neck when it's cold and dark and you're arm in arm in the city, oh, yeah, I get it, baby. Not so much going to pick up milk at Trader Joe's. Right scent, wrong longitude. Strictly for dress-up occasions outside the 'burbs.

krmarich
krmarich

This heavy resinous classic from the 1970s is one of the greenest patcholi bombs ever. Its somewhat heavy handed in a few areas leaving some distance between it and myself. It is definitive of the 1970s. I love the chypre character, yet its a beast in a guilded cage.

I didnt encounter it until after Giorgio for men. It was the obvious inspiration for the later. Gentleman is much more encryptic. I see Kouros in it more. It was the beginning of the mens powerhouse.

Its darker and more cold than Giogio. I would have to say somewhat more rugged than anything offered later. Its not really a gentleman. Its more of a libertine. Thats it! The low, dirty civet. How could I have missed the obvious? It hides behind every note like a predator, waiting to pounce. Its like its trying to hide its beast within.

Who needs testosterone gel with giants like Gentleman, Anteus and Kouros? Its as if the BIG patcholi was meant to hide the skanky civet. I am finding civet to be a rare moment on my skin lately. I still appreciate it, but yes, it IS animal piss. I salute the boldness, yet wear them infrequently today.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

A Leathery patchouli slap in the face, and i utterly love it, an aged classic but still hugely relevant and current, CLASSIC!!!!!

ezequiel91

Masterpiece, no doubt. 9.5/10.Classy, elegant, but beautiful. Old school, but not dated. A must, in my opinion. Only for those who appreciates good taste.

word-doctor
word-doctor

I finally pulled the trigger on this and am very pleased. Bought about the same time I got a mini of Aramis. I anticipated some similarities and got them, but find GG more well constructed. KL99's tomb-smack actually rings true for me, though not in perspective. I LIKE the qualities of depth, quiet, slow change... though they be represented via the one sense we have that shies from death.

OK--that doesn't especially make a lot of sense. It's ballsy, jagged and smooth. I've not figured out notes beyond leather, patchouli and wood... This one's a keeper for me.

Sillage: 7/10
Longevity: 10/10 (edit) I applied one morning and it stayed with me till I turned in. The next morning (a dirty job at home day) I skipped my usual shower and applied Yatagan. That evening I could smell GG THROUGH the Yatagan. Unbelievable.

Migalex
Migalex

I see that lots of reviewers see similarities between this and Giorgio. If I smell the two at the same time, I do notice some similarities but only during Giorgio's opening, which to me is the least pleasant part of it. On the top, the overall feel, even in the opening, is totally different. Gentleman is a typically woody leather dry fragrance, without any sweetness in it.I find all the other notes very subdued, and it does not let through the deep complexity of Giorgio. Giorgio is much sweeter and I do feel in it clearly lots of its notes, be it orange, patchouly, carnation, cinnamon, iris, rose, honey and vanilla, mostly, and it never stops surprising me, even after years of wearing it. I do not find any of that in Gentleman, even though the notes listed are to some extent the same. Giorgio is also incomparably stronger, longer lasting and with much more powerful silage. While I find Giorgio really captivating, and so do people around me, I do not care for Gentleman at all, however good it may be considered to be. Personally, I do not see any reason to want to smell like an old wardrobe, which is what this scent smells to me of.

kl99
kl99

Givenchy Gentleman smells like a tomb.

Sad, cold, a rain of dried roses, wax, musty woods, fusty incense, and mushroom, the base with pieces of soil of the mushrooms (the same note that I find unsupportable into "lonestar memories"). I figure in my mind the house of a widow, 95 years old, extremely religious, waiting the blessed death, into a house closed for ages, sourraunded of the picture of her husband (dried flowers, candles ecc..) dead in the first war world. Extremely depressing perfume. Totally mush.

Incomparable with Giorgio beverly hills (I understand the background is similar, but with many more colours). Giorgio opens like a sunny happy day on a fruit garden in summer. It has a bit the same vintage classic old woman aftertaste. But in a positive cheerful way.

Kain
Kain

This fragrance made in 70's and I hate most of classic fragrances! I don't know why but it doesn't smell dated to my nose!
It's unique and completely masculine.
There are so many notes listed above, but I didn't smell most of them because of very strong patchouli note which is the main player of this fragrance.
So patchouli haters completely stay away!
The opening is very strong and sharp patchouli scent mixed with dry leather note with slightly sweet smell mixing with it. the leather is weaker and light against the patchouli note.
Also you can call this fragrance a patchouli bomb!
So every note except patchouli is in the background and even some of them completely undetectable!
The patchouli note also does have a wet and cold feeling vibe. like a wet basement and also does have a very earthy smell.
In the mid the leather note still is there, patchouli settle down just a bit and slight amount of sweetness, woodsy and floral notes joining in and you will have this scent to the end!
You can count this as a linear fragrance. yeah!
Really good projection and above average longevity.
I like this fragrance sooooo much!
ديگه از بس تو همه جا گفتم همه ميدونن كه من از عطرهاي كلاسيك بدم مياد
اما اين با اينكه بيش از 30 سال پيش اومده اصلا به نظرم بوي قديمي نداره
رايحه اوليه اين عطر بوي بسيار تند و تيز و قوي نعناي هندي هست كه بوي گياهي خاص و تندي داره
اين تركيب رو بوي چرم هم همراهي ميكنه كه البته در اينجا چرم بوي دودي نداره. فقط بوي تلخي به اين تركيب گياهي و تند اضافه ميكنه
نعناي هندي در كل يه بوي مرطوب و خاصي داره كه در اينجا هم از اين قاعده مستثنا نيست و يه بوي مرطوب و نمناك به عطر ميده. مثل حس بودن توي يه زير زمين قديمي و مرطوب و بوي خاك هم ميده. حس خاص و عجيبيه
در ادامه بوي چرم همچنان وجود داره اما ضعيفتر، رايحه نعناي هندي كمي ضعيفتر ميشه و مقدار خيلي ناچيزي رايحه چوب و رايحه گلها و كمي هم رايحه هاي شيرين بهش اضافه ميشه
ميشه گفت عطري هست كه بوي خطي داره و زياد تغيير نميكنه
پخش بوي خوب و ماندگاري مناسبي داره
در كل يه عطر خاص، كاملا مردانه و منحصر بفرد هست كه ممكنه خيلي ها خوششون نياد اما من شخصا خيلي دوسش دارم

summerjet
summerjet

The smarter, more cultured brother of Kouros. Not so overbearing and in your face, but still dominant.
This demands to be a signiture fragrance and would not let you down in any situation.
But it still might be too intense for some.

chokovany
chokovany

Magique et magnifique en version vintage. J'ai la chance d'en avoir un ou deux exemplaires . Un vrai patchouli des seventies.
une machine à remonter le temps en flacon .

Dommage qu'il ait été remanié et ait perdu ce qui faisait son caractère et son élégance unique.

MarkStar
MarkStar

Raw strength in a bottle.

A scent so very rich it has it's own palpable texture.

The reformulation is as good as the vintage. Slightly different, but just as good. I layer the two and find incredible depth in this masterpiece...

Easily in my top 5.

stayclose
stayclose

I think this was around $35 to $45 for 100ml but don't quote me on that at a local drug store.Nice bottle its plain and simple but looks classy. Sort of like a scotch bottle (brown juice with a black label with nice clear lettering). The sprayer is nice too, it covers alot with only one spray so wouldn't see a reason to over spray with this one. This one for me is along the lines on Azzaro pour homme, Giorgio Beverly Hills, and Polo Green. I think they where all formulated along the same time (1970). I got a good spray on my forearm and I can say its strong. I first got all the sharp spices in this like the cinnamon, tarragon, bergamot, and the sweetness like the honey, rose and little bits of lemon which makes it kind of fresh feeling so you could even say it would be safe to wear in the moderate heat but not to much. After the top tops start blending it with the middle it starts smelling very earthy (like wet soil) and herbaceous (like oregano), I guess its the herbs from the top mixing in with the orris root, patchouli, and cedar but still keeping it dry sweetens,sort of powdery in my opinion. I guess its the flowers in this like the jasmine and rose mixing in with all the spices that give this frag a cold sharp feeling. haven't gotten to the dry down but it seem to me that it wont change much. Its pretty strong like all those frags I mentioned above so I am sure you get decent lasting power and silage. I seem to be mellowing out after 20 min but still kind of the same. It says it has civet on the base and I typically don't like it but the rest of the notes blend in pretty good together that I don't mind it. It not like it suddenly attacks you out of nowhere it seem to be out in the distance. I wouldn't wear this because it seems to be more for older folk maybe around 40 years old the reason why is because its not really smooth its a sharp earthy herbaceous green.

Well the dry down was nice I could still smell the top and middle, it all blended into what I could describe as a intoxicating booze or achohol (the one you drink) smell. I have to stay that the lasting power might not be as powerfull as I thought but it could have been that I was getting used to the smell. Like I said there is a civet note in the base but it blends in smoothly that its even charming (if you could call it that) it does smell of animal parts but not in a obnoxius way, therse is also a prominent pachouli note in the frame work and base of this frag. Anyway I like it. I wouldn't wear because of my age but its a good frag, so out of 5 stars I give 4. Oh and I don't know why older men don't wear these type of scents, insted they wear some le male spin off. Why?

ssg
ssg

Coffeecologne - what you have bought is a reformulated version of a classic fomer powerhouse.... sadly, so many of these classics have been shamelessly watered down to a shadow of their former selves... but watch this space, as IFRA and the big houses are going to soon have a fight on their hands ;)

sanicojo
sanicojo

Una fragancia solo para hombres que saben apreciar un buen perfume de Caballeros. Great.

dromidreza
dromidreza

بوی قدیمی داره و من خیلی دوستش ندارم ولی نمیدونم خانم ها تو این عطر چی میبینن وقتی میزدم آدمو ول نمیکردن.بوی اون مثل ب ام و518 سال 78 و بنز280 سال 79 میمونه.با شلوارهای پاچه گشاد و کراوات و شسته و رفته که یا تو صف سیتما بودن یا پارتی...شاید هم مدیر ایران ناسیونال !!! !!!

neptune1121
neptune1121

Very elegant fragrance. I can imagine with this smell, it will be proper for tuxedo or any other formal occasion. Not for a modern player, but more for classic lovers, without smelling like your 60yo uncle Eddie. lol!

freddiefingers
freddiefingers

I really do feel sorry for those who moan about the patchouli note in this fragrance.what's there not to love here?
Just got myself a gift set and will wear to the grave.simples!

If I wear this and it disturbs you,then,just.get.the.hell.out.of.my way!!!

le mouchoir de monsieur
le mouchoir de monsieur

Oh, Monsieur Hubert de Givenchy. In all of Paris there was no more elegant man, one more breathtakingly stunning: In his time, perhaps Jean Marais was his only rival. Standing a ridiculous 6'7, Hubert de Givenchy was a killer in his epoch the likes of whom to this day France has not seen the equivalent: Even at 70 years old, a more delicious looking man, there was not. It is said that Hubert orchestrated the creation of the first masculine scent to bare his name, the lavender laden "Monsieur de Givenchy," for himself, and the now utterly legendary "Givenchy Gentleman" for his brother James Taffin who lived in London. I grew up in France, and had the good fortune of actually being presented to Monsieur Hubert de Givenchy as a child by my mother. Later in life, as an adult, I met with him several times. The natural elegance of this man is a very hard thing to conjure today, for it is of a subtlety that is no longer of the world. In the late 70's and early 80's, in France, it was a known fact that "Givenchy Gentleman" was the sexiest perfume a man could wear were he desirous of attracting women. At this very time, i would approach my first year at Uni, and that detail is the only one for which I gave any thought when it came to the choice of perfume that would become my signature for about four years: I used the soap, the bubble bath, the shave cream, the shampoo, the after shave, and of course, the number of huge 500ml bottles of splash eau de toilette that came and went I can not fathom, for I would douse myself in it with an abandon only France will allow. Now, I am old, and withered: Distinctly "middle aged." I grew out of "Givenchy Gentleman," and moved on to more subtle things. Recently, a generous e-bay seller who was liquidating his great aunt's unending collection of perfumes sent me a gratis 1.7oz spray: All black and white and chrome. I used to travel with these. I smirked when I saw it in the box. When I sprayed it, smelling it for the first time in well over 30 years, I almost fell into a swoon: "No wonder I wore this." That was my reaction. People today speak of "panty droppers," well, as it panned out, I very nearly dropped my own. Thirty minutes in and in order that I not succumb to that temptation I was online sending the seller this S.O.S. message: "If it's GG, I want it. Whatever you got." I now can say that I have enough vintage GG everything to last for the rest of my days. Soap on a robe. After shave balm. After shave lotion. Bubble bath.....deodorant.....and, of course, liters and liters of the august Eau de Toilette, again: All encased in interlocking G's with chrome. The first day I walked onto the set of my life wearing it, (knowing the edt was equivalent to a modern "perfume concentrate," I went VERY easy on the application) FOUR unknown women stopped me and said: "You smell good!" I was astounded because, having grown used to Guerlains and the like this has not happened to me for so long I can't remember the last time it did. The vintage Eau de Toilette is about thrice, maybe twenty times as tenacious as a current Guerlain "Parfum," say, "Jicky," which i wear fluently, and It lasts....forever. The thing that's the most titillating about it is that It goes on like a kiss: When you put it on, it feels as though you are being made love to by a massive thing covered in fur and you are loving the vibration it's sending through you. In other words: It's HOT. It's so sexy that its power can be felt in the loins. No wonder it was the quintessential "panty dropper" in France in the years of its glory. Yes, it's masculine: But it's masculine in a way that I dare say only Hubert de Givenchy could conjure: It has sillage. People notice it. Men say: "Are you wearing Patchouli?" Women say: "OK, can I just tell you, you smell so good, I want to eat you." -And they mean it. My assistant, who is a lovely woman in her early twenties, told me on the third day that I wore it that it was "Makin my head go all kinds'a places." Before the week was over, I thought: "Maybe, I'm just not ready to be this sexy" so I began spraying it on my pocket square, which had for effect that my own head went "All kinds'a places:" I could smell it all day. I kept getting whiffs and wafts of it. Each time, I would marvel. That can't be me, i would think. There's no way. Finally, I came to remove my pocket square and shove it in my back pocket. The thing about this scent that sets it apart is this: In order to "pull this off," in this brave new world of nothing scents, where even the Guerlains smell like linen spray, the wearer must truly "be" a Gentleman. It wears its name very well. If not, things could get very out of control very fast. As for the new version that is to be found in stores today, I haven't the faintest clue what it's like. The vintage, that to which I speak, must be one of the most "Attractive" male scents ever made. I have worn many, many different kinds of perfume: For women, for men, unspecified. Never, never once, has any of them brought people close to me the way this one has. Recently, after much discussion with my assistant who insisted I wear it to a Black Tie Ball, (me: "What if my date doesn't like it? What if it explodes on the dance floor?") having succumbed I found out very quickly that I could not for the life of me keep people off of me: 80% women, 20% men. After dinner I went to the Gent's & saw that my face was covered in lipstick. When the After Party was in full swing and everyone was drunk, I got force-kissed full blown on the mouth by a random young thing: Very pretty. My date, who saw it, was furious. "I didn't do it! She just grabbed me!" She exhaled in disgust. "What do you mean 'you didn't do it?' You smell like an orgy." Then she stopped, and looked pensive: "Yeah. You smell like a f*in orgy. The weirdest part is that it's like there are velvet ropes around it, and nobody's getting in." That--I thought--was the best summation: One I would never invent. It's so easy to blend a perfume that smells like an orgy. Many "Niche" frags have them in their ranges. Hubert de Givenchy himeslf, and only Hubert de Givenchy, himself, would be capable of orchestrating a fragrance that "smells like an orgy," with the very distinctive detail that it just happens to be one where very few get in, and, all around it, keeping the common folk and pay-to-play crowd at bay, there are "velvet ropes."

sparkyman
sparkyman

I received a Vintage 52g obelisk style bottle today and finally sat down with it this evening, after a few cautious mistings from the highly efficient atomiseur...they don't make them like this anymore...

...they call them Vapourisers nowadays ? There is a BIG difference in efficiency which gives this genie instanaeous vigour & eagerness to please, after decades of confinement.

Another true jewel of a fragrance, enthrallingly smooth & refined, sublime craftsmanship throughout. I get a honeyed floral sitting amidst a leathery musk with a touch of vanilla sweetness weaving through. Extremely well blended, no real dominance of note for me - reminds me of Vintage Versace PH in many respects.

Givenchys' house was obviously built on some very solid foundations - a well ordered residence of justified standing....so pleased I've had the chance to experience another great creation from history...

jrichart
jrichart

Gentleman es en mi humilde opinión la única obra perfumil de Givenchy, aunque no he probado Les Parfums Mythiques, que merece un hueco en las grandes obras de la perfumería masculina de todos los tiempos como son Habit Rouge, Vetiver de Guerlain, Derby, Pour Monsieur, Armani pour Homme, etc. Todo un amaderado cueroso con recuerdos chipres que dan a esta fragancia una personalidad temperamental y asertiva. Yo lo recomendaría para una noche otoñal o invernal o para un acto o sálida formal en esas estaciones. En resumen, Una pequeña obra maestra que es un monumento al cuero y al patchoulí aderezada con miel y canela que hará las delicias de los hombres con personalidad definida y masculina.

dancinleroy
dancinleroy

I got lucky and was able to buya broken sprayer 1.7 oz bottle of this for $20. It smells so rich and powdery with strong patchouli, honey and cinnamon. with a very subtle underlying vanilla note in the drydown. Very classic masculin scent that reminds me of a bottle of cologne my dad used to own but never used when I was a child. Lasts a long while and is very potent and strong so only 2-3 sprays will suffice.

Pv52fa
Pv52fa

lighter and less rich than i thought it was going to be
--but if it were concentrated it would be perfect!

Nichehead
Nichehead

Complete Powerhouse, i'd suggest one to two sprays and you are set. a 1.7 OZ bottle will last forever!

3469hobbes
3469hobbes

Such a sexy man's scent. The first man I fell in love with wore it in the 80's and it reminds me of him still!
Agree with LSDn Sideburns' review. It is strong, but mellow, very elegant, very subtle despite the 'strength' of the scent if that makes any sense!
I also love Roger and Gallet L'Homme, it has a similar intensity.

andrUTZA
andrUTZA

Did they changed the formula or is it just me?I bought it for my dad and now I don't like it as much as used to.To my nose it has something in commune with Cerruti 1881, not bad but I haven't smelled that before.

LSDnSideBurns
LSDnSideBurns

The ladies at the Givenchy counter were absolutely stunned when I told them I was wearing this. Suddenly I went from one sales associate helping me to two, passing me sample cards left and right. "Oooh, you'll love this one" "Try this one", "what do you think about this?"

They didn't even have Gentleman in stock. In as few words, I politely told them I wasn't interested in that "Play" stuff. I left with some Chanel.

Anyhow, on to the fragrance itself. Massive patchouli, a colossally powerful fragrance with the power to strip paint, and yet at the same time the subtlety and depth to mystify and intrigue.

Spray with caution. Best to start with a small dose, then work your way up. I put a couple on the chest, one spray on my wrist then I rub them together. Settles down quite nicely, I get mostly patchouli, leather, vetiver, a bit of moss and musk. I see honey on the notes here but I don't pick it up just yet. It is an impressive composition, nonetheless.

"Classic" staying power. Lasts all day, but won't wear you out. Projects enough to be noticed but doesn't overwhelm, silage is good. Longevity is 7 hrs or so on me before it dies down to a whisper. Even after it becomes faint, it beckons you towards it, to move closer.

Did I say "Intrigue"?

sabiwasabi
sabiwasabi

this is my husband in a perfume smell sexy!!!!special and for me this is the one that a real man needs to wear.just perfect gets me in the mood everytime i smell it's juice!
if you have to choose one perfume this is definitly the one!one more time SEXY!

asifshah6
asifshah6

Back in the day, there were only a few scents that stoof out, today too...GG stands out in a subtle, elegant, sophisticated way.

Labaloo
Labaloo

I wore this one non-stop in the late 80's- because I love patchouli. No-one else was wearing it by then (it was Drakkar Noir-land mostly), so I stood out. It saw a revival in the 90's with some of the chillout crowd- which is when I stopped wearing it. I haven't smelled it it since then, but it's one I'll always remember- a definite classic.

It's like psychedelia trimmed of rough edges and distilled into a bottle- an elegant hippie!

behzad1280
behzad1280

Let’s be a little honest! I myself bought it as well as many of you, but it don’t worth lots of complements as you put on it! It’s old and old fashioned! Like “Aramis 900”! We have had lots of hygienic or beauty products with similar scent, haven’t we? Ok, now we can give it to grandpa and make grandma happy!

یک عطر قدیمی با بوی قدیمی و از مد افتاده که بوهایی شبیه به اون رو توی خیلی از محصولات آرایشی بهداشتی تجربه کردیم با این تفاوت که بوی این عطر انصافاً کمی پیچیده‌تره!! بخدا
با وجود خاطره انگیز بودن، میشه انتخاب های بهتری هم داشت
دوام و پخش بوی خوبی داره

erilika
erilika

I have the re-formulated version.

This one smells very smooth, nearly 'buttery'. What I smell mostly is strong vetiver with a hint of peppery notes. The drydown shows leather, but just a bit. To me this scent brings up warm/nolstalgic feelings. Not exactly a hiper-masculine fragrance, I find this kinda sweet and old-style. Proper name for the juice. I enjoy it quite much.

jtd
jtd

I imagine that this one has not so much been reformulated as fallen prey to the Humpty Dumpty syndrome.

Was this really an animalic, patchouli leather? Filthy in that perfect way? It’s now a triple S-bomb: shrill, saccharine, scary. GG takes all the potential off notes of patchouli, groups them together, and then makes a point of adding nothing that might mitigate this fingers-on-a-chalkboard calamity.

ION
ION

"Givenchy Gentleman" is one of those scents that whether you like it or not (personally I don't, as I find it old in a suffocating way) we must admit that is best representative of a whole era! Actually, it would be nice to see it on the market forever. :)

UPDATE: the one I sampled today, after quite some time, is so much better than what I remembered. It has been tweaked and improved considerably! Still oldish but in a modern way. Actually, even younger guys can wear it now, very good job I must admit even though at its drydown it tickles my throat and makes me cough. :)

instantjim

I now have both the reformulation and a 1 oz bottle of the vintage and in my opinion the reformulation is superior. The vintage has less aggressive patchouli and while it might be slightly more animalistic, the overall effect is of it being a weaker fragrance. in all fairness it has to be said that I am a patchouli nut and so I like the reformulation.

Blackened
Blackened

patchouli in combustion on Russian leather.
masterpiece!
Smell something mature? yes
is this a powerhouse style? yes
has great longevity? yesss
does it seem a little dated? yes

but you´ll like to wear it.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

This is a uniquely elegant masculine fragrance. The masterful blend of patchouli, vetiver and Russian leather produces a scent unlike any other. The dry down is incredibly gorgeous. Whenever I wear this I receive positive comments and I feel sophisticated. It has great longevity and a wonderful sillage. This is one of my favorite fragrances of all time.

buharyn
buharyn

very strong fragnance.

unfortunately my wife doesn't like it so I am willing to trade it if someone interested in the UK

half of a 50 ml bottle

Luforge
Luforge

Im about to go out on a dinner date and this classic sexy fragrance never fails to intercept and allure the prescence of an attractive lady! Always complimented on this elegant gentlemans scent..I just love it! and beleive me, so does she..*winks*

omerpervaiz
omerpervaiz

It is not a mainstream woody fragrance rather it is more inclined towards oriental/spicy group to my way of thinking. Overall, it is a good solid masculine fragrance and it can't be worn by a woman. It starts with notes of tarragon and bergamot, there is some smokiness towards the beginning which stays for quiet a time then leather accords with musk and strong spices come into play and finally there is a trail of vetiver, vanilla and patchouli. It is an extremely classic fragrance more suitable for mature age group. It is not extraordinary and doesn't scream but yet it is compliment-able. There is sophistication and elegance and it will remain one of the best in its genre. Longevity is good stays quite close to the skin, better projection in winters. Suitable for formal and casual occasions can be worn at evenings and nights. Bottle and packaging is simple nothing particular.
I give it 8 out of 10.

PK22
PK22

Occasion: Winter and fall, day time, formal.

Projection: 9/10
Uniqueness: 8/10
Versatility: 4/10
OVERALL: 36/50

dchaves7@aol.com
dchaves7@aol.com

My favorite French fragrance. Exotic, manly, refined, dry, distinquished, high fashion and sensual.

lipepimpol
lipepimpol

true masterpiece. classical

however, only use at home, subjective power works

but not for others, just for me!

patchouli offensive from start to finish, I like

this Exquisite old gentleman unfortunately belches out its power ...

a penalty

nausikaa
nausikaa

my grandfather has been wearing this all his life i think.
whenever i enter into his house, this is always around :)

Quasar

This is one of the best scents in thw whole world.
Classic clean clear well balanced scent.
Somebody said its not for woman hahah?
Whats the definicion of man or woman fragrance????
U r using what U like. !
arabic Woman wearing oud wich in our culture quite masculine and the man r wearing roses culture and economy iis stimulating whats for man or woman!
In 18 century franch kings were wearin floral scenys being inspired buy their gardens separating scents for masculine or feminine doesnt make any sense.

This givenchy is simply classic scent vanila light rose and later patchuly dry wood and leather making that scent defenetly unforgetable.
Huge class for ONLY distingtive people

Gentleman Givenchy (Original Formulation)

A great peppery leather fragrance that shows no aging. Hints of cinnamon on a considerable dose of patchouli and vetiver. A simple formula that's still incredibly compelling. I will never understand why at Givenchy they needed to reformulate this little masterpiece. Buy it while stocks last.

The original forumaltion had a different packaging form the new one. You can make sure you're buying the original Gentleman by looking at the box that has to be with the Givenchy monograms printed in white instead of grey.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

I have to love the smell of this scent overall, but I can't be too big a fan of such a classic scent and I certainly couldn't justify wearing it.
Gentleman is, in my opinion, a serious gentleman fragrance.
Very classic, exceedingly successful, ultra professional, I can picture Italian suits going with it.
I really don't think a laid back 27year old who's often mistaken for a 20-24 year old uni student or graduate can wear it without feeling somewhat out of place and awkward.
There's admiring a fragrance for it's quality then there's loving the scent so much as to wear it proudly.

For the smell itself, it would easily be seen as an old-man scent to a young nose and nil respected. Think of Habit Rouge, but with a dominant body of patchouli and florals, and a slight, sweet hint (which I guess is the honey and rose) that barely softens the scent but still has a subtle impact on my total opinion. The rest of the composition escapes me, I'm bot sure my near is cut out to pick apart a classic scent.

Ad nauseam
Ad nauseam

A true classic indeed. I can't think of anything else quite like this, and for that reason it stands out from all the rest for me. Not one single feminine note here. This is all man. I would not want to smell this on a woman. Ever!

I first had this as a twenty-something and liked it, but I don't think I could appreciate how great it was back then. I've noticed other reviewers think the current scent is different from what it formerly was. It does seem as if there's a sour almost urine like element that is missing from my new bottle. However, I find the current scent is still excellent. It's definitely like I remember it. The strong almost pungent scent of patchouli that is etched in my memory. A friend of mine said it reminds him of the warm, damp wood of a sauna. Definitely no fruit, flower or spicy notes here.

In it's new version(if that's what it is) the scent is very straight forward. It doesn't have the two distinct elements playing off of each other as I remember. I might not have noticed this if other reviewers hadn't brought it up. I still love the smell but there's not much complexity or change going on here from beginning to end. I get woodsy(cedar) and patchouli from start to finish. Still enough there from the old scent that I can't stop sniffing my arm. It's simple but very intense, almost too intense, but that's the magic of it I guess.

It does seem like warmer weather or a little activity recharges the scent. It lasts all day. If everyone was wearing it I wouldn't like it as much as I do.

vishnu
vishnu

This is a very classy cologne. When wearing this and share the company of a woman they always react to it .

zecheiroso

Top *
Heart ***
Base ***
Final score ***

Minireview from a partial wearing, I hated the opening very much so.

ROUSAK
ROUSAK

At the begining i did not like this and i kept in my closet for a long time until one day i wanted to geve it another try.
I dont know what happened but when i put this again i was impressed with the beutiful soapy smell i got. it lasted and lasted also i got compliments from friends...i dont know how i did not like this in the beginning but this one is excellent and makes me happy

DC-8
DC-8

One of the superstars of the olfactory art...

Very vintage stuff... Dunno why, but it always reminds me of the 70s Hi-Fi systems... Crazy, huh? :) But I like it.

It has a very earthy scent, with no traces of aromatic herbs like lavender and rosemary, which I don't like them. It has a unique bitterness that gives it a special earthy identity. I guess the vetiver/oakmoss/patchouli and oris root combination creates that in a very crafty way.

Top notes are feeling sweet with a touch of honey, which vanishes soon in favor of a much better scent, even.

The middle notes are a sweet/bitter/woody/leathery combo. Unfortunately this part made me all the time sniffing myself more and more and tire my nose. Such a beautiful scent!

Base notes are still the same as heart notes, just a bit more woody and bitter, yet you feel a tiny spark of sweetness present.

Longevity appears perfect on my skin (+14H). Sillage and projection are excellent.

I would give it 8 of 10. This masterpiece has got a lot of character among other 70s feats like Azzaro Pour Homme and their contemporary frags...

A woman can certainly pull this fragrance off. I wear it, and I wear it proudly.

Givenchy Gentleman is all about soft woods, cinnamon incense, earthy patchouli and sweet musk. To my nose, as strange as it may sound, this smells like an old-fashioned closet full of musty clothes and pink candy musk sticks.

My god this is heavenly. To be honest, I love it so much on myself that it'd be hard for me to smell it on my man. He's used to my masculine and smokey scents, yet the other day when I sprayed this on my neck he had no clue it was marketed for men. Bless his heart, he actually mistook it for Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere.

Towards the drydown Givenchy Gentleman becomes quite powdery and tends to resemble the scent of shaving foam. I've actually resorted to shaving my legs with men's shaving foam seeming that it's a whole five dollars cheaper than feminine shaving foam, so I'm used to my body smelling like this.

It makes me feel so refined yet powerful at the same time. This is one of those great powerhouse scents from the 70's with amazing longevity and sillage, however I must add that I don't find this fragrance dated.

Oh, it's just so comforting, like a hug from your loved one while you're curled up beside a fire on a cold Winter's night.

Bapi
Bapi

This the first fragrance of my life that had a leather note. Though it's not a leather perfume but still I consider it to be one given my introduction to leather scents through it. It was 1996 when I was 18 I bought this one, I didn't know then what opening note, middle/heart note or base meant. Now I know and that's why is the review. It opens with a strong honey and cinnamon's amalgamation. Though Bergamot is listed but my nose failed to find it. Then after sometime the patchouly and cedar takes command and a hint of the leather. The leather blossoms quickly and settles down and stays till the drydown, patchouly and leather all the way till you wash it off. The darkness of oakmoss and vetiver add richness to the smell. It's the scent of a real man. Though I don't suggest anyone below 28 to use it. It's good for all weather and all season. I don't actually recollect how it smelled then back in 1996 but I liked it then. I guess the smell is a little different these days. But mind you, the richness, warmth, darkness and manliness haven't been lost over time. And, that's why I never forget buying it when the bottle finishes. I kept having it since 1996. The longevity is unbelievable, silage is great. If I, at all, have to mark, then I wouldn't give less than 9 out of 10.

guest_Gi
guest_Gi

The best ever!!!!!! Amayzing x

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

*This is a VINTAGE Gentleman review*

I got to know the older and wiser gentleman, and if the updated version doesn't at least walk in the footsteps of it's classic superior... I don't want to know this gentleman. It's so old school, but so immortal. Patchouli is layered in the composition, but done so precisely and strapped down to be tamed by fine leather. Roses and jasmine gives this gentleman life. Honey and vanilla keeps him from being so rough around the edges and dark cinnamon makes him daring and known without being obnoxious. A king among fragrances!

★★★★★

guest_K
guest_K

The best fragrance in the whole world and a big class !!!!!

QCYCORNELL
QCYCORNELL

there were times i had to check the bottle again n again to be sure its from givenchy, this a nice one, strong, over-powering, masculine and classic!
love it!

guest_gio
guest_gio

sooooo niiiiiiice better than these days perfumes ,very unique i cant beleive its since 1947

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

Classic men's woody chypre. Wood and moss and rose. Very nice. Strong.

mandi
mandi

Thank you Mister_Chaz for swapping me this delightful fragrance.

Maybe i am overreaching but I think a woman can pull this off - but strictly for the corporate setting, I imagine a confident CEO wearing it to a Board Meeting.

To my nose it smells vaguely similar to Gucci 3, except that Gucci 3 has a slightly soapy nuance and GG's opening is sweetened by it's honey note.

I like how it smelled on me but it really blossomed when my dad wore it, so much so that i had to give him my newly acquired mini.

RobbieX
RobbieX

Very powerful, a strong floral to start and a leather/patchouli ending, lasts all day, and excellent sillage. One of the most potent patchouli scents along with Giorgio (GBH) Givenchy Gentleman is fabulous. It has to be a classic!

VanAllan
VanAllan

On my skin it smells a lot at beginning like old shave-cream (caused maybe of oily lemon, cinnamon, rose & bergamot combo), a strong and linear smell, little complexity but long lasting...then a LOT of patchouli and vetiver (it reaches to middle after 3-4 hrs !), ending with leather, amber, musk, patchouli (again !) oakmoss & vanilla. Overall not bad, a classic 80's, I would buy it maybe with a good deal and I think it could be combined w. other simple nowadays fragrances (b.t.w. Zino is far better!). 7.6/10. ☣☣☣

Pureness
Pureness

Classic and original fragrance. You cant mix it up with any other perfume.
Unfortunately it smells bad on me but i still love this smell.

instantjim

Ok. So I have had this for a couple of weeks now. I am really impressed with the patchouli in this fragrance! It takes no prisoners! The strength of the fragrance to start with is breathtaking. On me the patchouli is balanced with an incensy/camphorous/sweetness which only just takes the edge off the patchouli. The patchouli is really as strong as it can be without being offensive. It lasts all day on me with little change.

guest_guido/germany
guest_guido/germany

one of the best stuffs in the gentlemans parfumerie, long lasting and powerfull. for me an old friend from the early eightiesone of my first fragrances.

instantjim

Some years ago, perhaps eight, I tested this at a department store. WOW I thought, one day I must get this. The fragrance then seemed to disappear for some years. I would ask after it, but no one had it and many sales assistants had never even heard of it. I was delighted to see it again on shelves in the last year. In the intervening time it had built up an almost legendary status in my mind as something of exceeding quality. I finally got a bottle of this today (bought on ebay for about 40% of the retail price here in Australia). From other reviews I see that the current offering is a toned-down reflection of the original fragrance. This is quite a revelation. The fragrance I now have in my possession is simply, magnificent, it makes me ask "how is it possible that this could have been better?"

The aromatic/camphorous woodiness make this a classic. It is almost overpowering at first, but after a few minutes it displays its true beauty. It is really hard for me at this point to give a review which really does justice to this after having it for only a few hours. So I guess I will have to give a further review when I have had more time enjoying this fragrance.

shamus1

Now that I've had the chance to wear the new version of GG for two weeks now, I'd like to amend my previous review a bit. Although the new version lacks the richness and complexity of the original, and I'm sure it was reformulated largely for financial reasons, I can now see the virtues of this new formulation. What I like most about the new GG is that it truly can be worn any time of year in any type of weather. The vintage version, though great, was so heavy, spicy and sweet as to be overbearing in anything warmer than cool weather in the autumn (see also Gucci Pour Homme and Mazzolari Lui). This new version, on the other hand, not only smells very good any time of year, but I think it comes alive a bit in the warmer weather. I think fans of the vintage GG would be much less upset if Givenchy simply renamed this as something like "Givenchy Gentleman Leger" or "Eau de Givenchy Gentleman", and left the vintage version alone. I realize that a lot of my initial disappointment with the new GG was its lack of complexity compared to the original, but now that I've worn it for two straight weeks, it's really grown on me, and I really enjoy it. Still not as good as the original, but still a worthy purchase in its own right.

Castor
Castor

There was a time hippies used patchouly. Most claim it was a way of hiding the smell of marihuana. Maybe it was because they were in love with all things from India, and since patchouly is from India and sandalwood is so expensive... patchouly must have been the logical option.

Well, I imagine Givenchy working on the burgeoise version of a patchouly-based scent. So, here we've got a reminder of how the 1970's smelt like: unpolitically correct, opinionated and revolutionary. The way men were supposed to be before this metrosexual revolution.

shamus1

This was once an outstanding spicy, rich, warm, woody oriental, but it's unfortunately been reformulated for the worse. Now, it's a fairly dull, linear and one dimensional woody chypre. Givenchy seems to have eliminated the civet and amber, which gave it a sweet but animalic punch. The patchouli is still there, but doesn't smell earthy or natural as it should. It's not a terrible scent now by any means, but it never really evolves with time, just keeps playing the same synthetic smelling patchouli tune throughout its duration. It's a disappointment for anyone who wore the original version, but I still think I'd be unimpressed with this even if I'd never tried the original, due to its linearity and lack of complexity.

SaintLue
SaintLue

I was truely excited when i saw that they had this on sale i jumped over to it and tryed a small sample but was a bit disapointed.Like ZeeK said it does last along time its not very sexy.not somthing i would wear around my wife or even to go out.it smelled like a old man to me. even gave me a headache.So i stayed far away from it and bought a Eternity and 212 bottle and left pretty happy.

Miss_Smart
Miss_Smart

I love how this marks a man....he is sexy, intruiging and sooooo mine :)))
Very energetic and not too loud.
I absolutely love it on my man

jonovon
jonovon

Probably, Givenchy thought of a perfume that doesn't only make you smell good, but feel good as well. Just like some have said, it makes you a confident and elegant man - IMO it doesn't matter what your outfit is. Like happened with OdeKlotyo, Gentleman's one of the few scents that ever got me some compliments - the others being from the house of Givenchy as well. These guys know how to make a perfume that'll stand out.

I'll start talking about lasting and projection. On my skin, it goes through the whole day. After 12 hours, it's still there. Sillage is good for the first 4 hours, but is reactivated if it gets warmer. Then it gets close to the skin in a slow pace.

Now, the engineering chapter. The first blast is strong and pretty much unlikeable. A nose repeller - I'll talk about it later. This lasts for some 15, 20 minutes. Well, let's call it maturation, for what comes after is the art of perfumery in its highest form. Patchouli is always there, but some times you smell hints of leather, cinnamon, honey, roses, a low vetiver...
I walk out the office to have lunch - from the air conditioner to the warmth of the Brazilian sun - and it changes. It starts to rain and it changes. It gets dark and it changes. Have in mind that all these mutations are exceptionally good - not included those damn first minutes. Gentleman has the most beautiful drydown I've ever seen. Yet to be found in other scent, this dynamic quality.

I kinda made this my signature scent, and that's where those terrifying first minutes prove to be useful. Whenever a person goes to a store and have it sprayed onto his skin, he'll think "holy shit I'll never wear this for the life of me". The nose-in-a-hurry repeller effect. Those who can wait a quarter of an hour to seal the deal will end up gifted with an almost exclusive scent that'll most likely become their signature.

mesier
mesier

IT'S ONE OF THE BEST SCENTS I HAVE EVER SMELL.....BEAUTIFUL WOODY, ALDEHYD BASE NOTES AND...THIS CHARACTERISTIC SWEET-COLOGNE SMELL AT BEGINNING.....REALY GOOD MASCULINE PERFUM (it's smells on the background like CHANEL 5-my mother use givenchy gentelmen too)

Superman9
Superman9

Really like this smell on my husband. Classic and confident.

OdeKlotyo
OdeKlotyo

I bought a new bottle of Gentleman recently, after having had a small 30 ml/1 fl.oz. "vintage" bottle from '98 that lasted for quite a few years, and I couldn't help but notice that the volume has been turned down significantly in the new one, with a concomitant shorter tenacity, and most obviously that dark, sweaty animalic note (the civet that is often perceived as urine) was at least partially removed or replaced with something, hm, lesser. But it's an ill wind, so the toned-down temperament of its current incarnation will render it more wearable for many.
It's still an elegant, charming, classy and gentlemanly scent. And very Givenchy. On the right person, and on the right occasion, it will work wonders.
(Funnily, this is one of the very few fragrances that I EVER got complimented on.)

ZeeK
ZeeK

There is no doubt about lasting and silage. But it is not sexy from any angle, just an old classic (for those who dare to wear it) but not a masterpiece. By sniffing this one I got the idea of what people call dated and old-school actually, I am sure since its existence it can’t be liked by majority even only 5-10 out of 100 may like this perfume.

Many resemble it to the smell of urine. But I think it is not that correct but only a way to show their disappointment with Givenchy, Gentlemen, but for me (even I am very fond of classics) it gives the affect of some nasty-sour mixture of water and salt sprayed over to grass, dry bushes, broken branches and smelly stones.

desmondorama
desmondorama

A most classic fragrance and a favourite of mine. Very frankincense and leather. Long-lasting, good sillage, very different from any other scent on the market. Instantly recognisable. Reminds me of a great time in the mid-70s when people knew how to enjoy the good life and glamour.

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy 4.08 out of 5 based on 717 ratings and 156 user reviews

Perfume WorldWide
Givenchy Gentleman Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Sephora.com, Inc.
Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman 3.3 oz Eau de Toilette Spray
Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman 3.3 oz Eau de Toilette Spray

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Givenchy Givenchy Gentleman, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.