Designers » F-H » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

dislike

I have it: 407 I had it: 217 I want it: 152 My signature: 13

coffee
Givenchy Play Eau de Toilette Givenchy for men Videos
Givenchy Play Eau de Toilette Givenchy for men Pictures Givenchy Play Eau de Toilette Givenchy for men Pictures Givenchy Play Eau de Toilette Givenchy for men Pictures Givenchy Play Eau de Toilette Givenchy for men Pictures Givenchy Play Eau de Toilette Givenchy for men Pictures

Givenchy launched their fragrance for men in September 2008 and it was advertised by pop star Justin Timberlake.

This modern and contemporary perfume named Play was presented in two versions: Givenchy Play EDT and Givenchy Play Intense, in a bottle shaped like an MP3 player. It is made of milky glass, with cafalonium frame and rubber button to press.

These fragrant creations Givenchy Play are a work of perfumers Emilie Coppermann and Lucas Sieuzac (Symrise), from direction of Françoise Donche, the perfume nose of the house of Givenchy.

The perfume in EDT strength Givenchy Play EDT is created of notes of bergamot, mandarin orange, grapefruit, bitter orange, amyris wood, coffee flower, black pepper, vetiver and patchouli.

Several commercials accompany this perfume. They were made in black and white, by Tom Munro.

The perfume Givenchy Play EDT is available as 50 and 100 ml EDT. Givenchy Play Eau de Toilette was created by Emilie (Bevierre) Coppermann and Lucas Sieuzac.

Bergamot Grapefruit Bitter Orange Mandarin Orange

Amyris Pepper Coffee Tobacco blossom

vetyver Patchouli

Givenchy Play Intense
Zara for Him Silver

Givenchy Play Eau de Toilette Fragrance Reviews

K1
K1

Everything in Play pins in watery and transparent terms. The perfume opens with citric air patched to synthetic stream. A bit later a fragile floral faint breeze comes out with coffee. Not like Thierry Mugler coffee smells, modest and conservative yet bold. Few after it settles in coffee heart you almost have nothing but flavored Iso E track of smell which is uncharacterized and uncategorized.

Ps: The path of perfumery shifted since vast use of Iso E super in combination started. Every small and great brand contributed in and molecule factories earned big cash as someone robs a bank in Switzerland! This musky combination is so interesting, you add it to every ugly composition you like and the output is just hilarious.
Givenchy Play which I seriously cannot even take a look at its bottle (the major point I never even try the series) is of those perfumes you have to be aware of what you write about! This is another ability of Iso E that can enslave! Every iconic perfume based on Iso E is subject of prejudice, supported by an army of fans who don’t allow for critical reviews. So the truth on those perfumes is seldom unveiled.

newbee3114
newbee3114

Straight to the point, Givenchy Play is a great smelling scent but not great enough for the price. Didnt get to many compliments maybe its due to my skin chemistry.. not worth the retail price...

Layzie
Layzie

Givenchy Play is a curiosity to me. I see the notes listed, but I get no coffee or vetiver from it. It starts off resembling a light citrus cleaner scent with some sort of floral & herb base. There is a soft, sweet undertone about it. It doesn't change much after an hour. It's a bit too cleanereque for me. There is a synthetic freshness and a hint of sweetness as time passes, as well as a slight warmth to it.

Nice casual fragrance but nothing particularly remarkable here. The projection and longevity are average.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

A mild woody citrus with a hint of bittersweetness, supposedly coffee. I'm tempted to say it's nice in a cheap/cheerful way, but Cool Water is nice in a cheap/cheerful way, and a thousand times better than Play. This gets a nod from me for being an interesting concept, but the interest is short-lived, and I'm afraid the concept is too poorly executed for further comment.

IMsooKool4Real
IMsooKool4Real

This is nice.
Starts off with a clear fresh bright yellow grapefruit and bitter orange citrus, soft vetiver and gritty pepper tone. The sharp citrus dulls just enough for a very mild and pleasant scent akin to brewed spent coffee grounds and a lovely salt note to float up top. Very downplayed.

I should mention you won't smell any coffee in the traditional 'fresh in the doughnut shop cup'. Instead it's a spent coffee void of all flavor - it's the discarded grounds which have a slightly metallic edge void of coffee sweetness but still holding on to a washed out bitterness. It's quite nice and very soft.

This is about the interplay of complimentary sharp, fresh and clean notes juxtaposed to create something that has a youthful and energetic lean.

I enjoy the drydown of this fragrance allot. It's when the subtle dull coffee ground and vetiver base take over. The nice salty undercurrent keeps it sharp and clear.

It's quite loud and bright for the first hour or two but manages to soften up and settle down for the rest. It definitely has a consistent character and doesn't shift it's style although it does change quite a bit. Very nice fragrance for the warm Spring and Summer. Very bright and positive vibe.

Edit: I am really enjoying this. Wore it today and it stayed with me for hours. By afternoon it softened to fuzzy, salty, filtered coffee grounds tinted with powdered citrus and vetiver. Really enjoying this one.

mundoglory
mundoglory

Nice sweet and creamy fragrance.....but it sadly only lasts 2 hours maximum on my skin, an unacceptably poor longevity for a fragrance that costs £60-70 for 100ml.
It doesn't matter how good the scent is, what use is it if it doesn't hold....

I went out today and bought Play Intense, a much, much longer lasting and richer smell. I would recommend anyone to get the Intense version over the original. I will be putting the original Play on Ebay.

alberto1964
alberto1964

Disappointment for a perfume-house almost always at the edge of excellence. This essence is nothing more than a fresh citrus scent, one of many that you can find at the supermarket.
PS-Tobacco and patchouli are absent.

Redbeard
Redbeard

Sweet alcoholic woods with some coffee...maybe a sub-par analog of Polo Double Black. I really doused myself in it, and got more alcohol fumes than usual but then it wasn't as strong as I would have expected. When I sniff it up close, I find that it has an anisy rubberiness along the lines of Bulgari Black, but much heavier and oppressive, so less pleasant. The drydown is a little quieter and more powdery, maybe a bit like Armani Code. Overall, it just smells like the mixed cloud of sweet oriental fumes that surrounds the department store men's fragrance counter.

jochris
jochris

for me the scent is nice... smells like the combination of Samurai light blue and carolina herrera ch men and a little bit of potion blue cadet... three perfume in one bottle, it is nice right?!

burgundyaltima

this stuff is delicious ..dry down reminds me of bvlgari aqva marine ..sweet candied lemons

ThiagoRRGomes
ThiagoRRGomes

Nice and intense fragrance!
Good for a warm, sunny spring/summer day!

Cassiano
Cassiano

With a lot of creativity, in 2008 the Givenchy House launched the Play line for men (the female line only came in 2010), with a youthful and well thought approach, from the conception of the product to the final campaign. Everything is connected: the bottle, which refers to an MP3 player, the aroma of the 2 versions (one for day and one for night) and the campaign model, none other than Justin Timberlake.

In this lighter version, which I consider ideal for daytime use, we have notes of bergamot, Mandarin orange, bitter orange and grapefruit, in the output. In the heart of the fragrance, denser notes of Amyris wood (from the Amyris Balsamífera tree, grown in Haiti and with an aroma similar to sandalwood), coffee flower, tobacco blossom and black pepper. At the base, notes of patchouli and vetiver, giving a woody touch to the fragrance.

The output is more citric, but not with the famous tone reminiscent of lemon. Is the bitter fruit aroma of citrus Orange family. In some people, this output disappears quickly, while in others, remains for more time, giving a more refreshing scent. It was not my case!
On my skin, the initial phase lasted a short time, evolving into a creamier and spicy fragrance, which I prefer. And the result is a slightly Woody scent with a certain creaminess, resulting from the nuance of sandalwood with the tobacco flower. The presence of the pepper and the coffee is barely noticeable. But the scent is creamy without being nauseating, which I attribute to the presence of citrus notes and vetiver in the base, which confer a certain "acidity" to this creation. Otherwise, it would be a much more oriental and sweet fragrance, which is the role of the Intense version.

The projection is not great, but the lasting is very good. For those who enjoy having a olfactory signature, this duo of fragrances is more than indicated, as they are very similar and the olfactory identity was kept, changing a little in relation to the notes, making one just more intense and darker than the other.

Once again, Givenchy showed me that it is worth to trust in their products.

42gr
42gr

Citrus, It has some sort of under funk tone in the background that's not un-pleasant.

Its on the edge of generic celebrity sprays.

Vexingpopo
Vexingpopo

This is what confidence smells like. Like you just walked out of the woods and then dumped spiced rum all over yourself and rolled around in some vanilla ice cream that has little slices of lemon in it.It is not an overpowering adolescent cry for attention, no this scent is personal and sexy and not for those without charm. Girls will sit closer to you and slowly slide closer and closer until they are on top of you. Guys will envy you.

Needless to say buying this is a good life choice.

I feel like this scent works for both summer and winter and could possibly be worn year round. Go ahead and make it your signature. The scent will stay on you through out the day, I usually spray 3-4 in the morning and can still smell it when I get home at the end of the day. The projection is perfect. It is not over-bearing, yet not weak to the point where you have to put your nose against your skin, its just right. I wear the intense version but am not such an advocate of it. It is very sweet and not as versatile, though it has the same stats a this gem. Although I must say for the dry-own, Intense gets it right too. It has a great woodsy smell to it that sticks after the sweet coffee smells goes away. Don't be afraid to try new things, buy Play.

keenzilla
keenzilla

Clean coffee scent

ver jaina
ver jaina

marketed for men but pretty much can be worn by anyone! on me it's smell fresh citrus, not too sharp & does not smell manly at all. iliked this better than for women version :p

cyber.raga
cyber.raga

No longevity, poor sillage with a beautiful scent. What a waste.

havardize
havardize

Givenchy Play is a Play intense without a Tonka, less dark, less sweet and intense, as the name says hehe

At night, you can differentiate the notes, because the scent becomes less synthetic. One mix of pepper (lightly) and coffee with a citrus notes (orange in my perception). In the cold, the fragrance resembles the smell of a very cold Shower gel, plastic jelly, citrus iced coffee, all with the DNA of the line Givenchy Play. The fragrance somewhat resembles the products of Starbucks haha, as sayd "wesleyhclark".

Smell unlike anything i have tested, one of my favorite fragrances:
Scent: 8
Versatility:6
Longevity:7
Projection:8

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

This is a very pleasant fresh and soapy fragrance. It is perfect after a shower because it has that just-showered aspect. It reminds me of the original Higher Dior, but creamier. This is the closest male fragrance to Donna Karan's lovely Cashmere Mist, which is too feminine for a man to wear. Givenchy Play is an easy fragrance to love.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

This smells more or less like you spilled a Starbucks product upon yourself. In other words, it has a mild, creamy, coffee note. It's okay... nice. It doesn't project much, however. The bottle is meant to excite the imaginations of modern twentysomethings: it looks vaguely like an mp3 player.

Former boybander Justin Timberlake was selected as the face of the ad campaign; be still my beating heart.

From the ad copy, about the bottle: "It is made of milky glass, with cafalonium frame and rubber button to press." As near as I can tell from a google search, cafalonium (if it exists at all) simply means "plastic" and the button doesn't do anything.

Play!

hogan00
hogan00

i sammpled Play not too long ago. smells very clean and masculine. it kind of reminds me of the smell you get when you first walk into a nice mall. rich smell of new clothes and denim. hard to describe, but i liked it.

jesslockz
jesslockz

I'm still wondering if i should get this fragrance or not. The smell is really good after a long time. At first, when i spray it on, it kinda smells weird to me. But after like 30 minutes, it smells like a mix of coffee and citrus. It's not my favorite, but i like it.

burgundyaltima

Love the smell but doesn't last/project on my skin..however i did receive a good compliment..hugged a female and she texted me later saying i smelled wonderful! .. : ) All smiles

danielresendem
danielresendem

weird how has many reviews said bad about this fragrance! In my skin it's so good..

janalednova
janalednova

Ordinary shower gel smell.

FragrantAl87
FragrantAl87

Givenchy Play, its a hit with me, because I am a sucker for the sweet ones.

Opening: Can I say this? When I first spray it, it smells like fruity pebbles...and I love fruity pebbles. Right after that I get the sweet depth of coffee blending deliciously with pepper and vetyver. Loving it.

Sillage: Quite good, I would say about 2-3 feet for as many hours.

Longevity: Not exceptional, but acceptable. 4-6 hours.

Gripes: None I can think of...

Best for: This is a great casual wear. All day, All year. Works for just about anything. May be a little too sweet for a black-tie sort of event, needs more woodsy-ness.

Overall: I am a fan. Its got the sweetness of Code or Allure and the freshness of Versace on the top, with a little A*Men mixed in, but smoother. Refreshing, attractive and playful. Aptly named.

cocorosie
cocorosie

Got this for the boyfriend for Christmas and he LOVES it! He's quite fussy with fragrance, so this is a big compliment. He describes it a 'sporty', which suits him. I really like it too. I find it quite different from most men's frags, and in a way it's quite an odd scent, almost plastic-y... But something about it just works! A nice, fresh, everyday yet distinctive fragrance. Great for a young 20 something dude.

gd15329
gd15329

Sampled it today. Just an OK fragrance to me, I think I will pass... Just a nice citrus fresh... somehow reminds me of AXE chocolate

Overall: 5.5/10

Kimmy89
Kimmy89

I couldn't get away from this cologne when I was working on board a cruise liner. It was brand new at the time and almost EVERY crew member had a bottle. lol so got a bit sick of it.
Nice otherwise.

elenamldv
elenamldv

simply woody fresh scent.

rawla
rawla

Very much a casual just stepping out for a bit on a hot summer day kind of smell. Very refreshing if you like to keep it spicey and earthy all the time. Sort of an unflattering playful citrus, don't expect to wow anyone. Very soft.

Blayke
Blayke

I bought it when I was supposed to buy the intense Play instead. I almost threw it out, but it's not bad for something on the go!

busik
busik

The database copy Eaudemoiselle de Givenchy. From one barrel or something poured?

burgundyaltima

I don't get good projection however it does last a long time close to skin... i love the dry down..its like a sweet lemon gourmand..

Scrash Luisao
Scrash Luisao

En lo personal me gusta mucho, ya lo tuve y a lo mejor va muy bien con mi PH porque las chicas me decían que olía bien con esa fragancia!! Puntaje: 8/10

cocodust
cocodust

I bought this for my husband as he liked it (and he doesn't like many fragrances) and I liked it. It's nice, sexy, clean, warm.

Ultra.Black7

به نظر من بوش منحصر بفرده و جذابیت خاص خودشو داره
متاسفانه موندگاریش افتضاحه!

SmokinYodas
SmokinYodas

You can truly smell the citrus top notes well on this version of Givenchy Play; then again I feel it fails to blend well with the coffee notes, almost forced. The middle Notes and Base Notes on the dry-down are the best parts; however you get more of those sweet coffee notes in the Intense version and less of the citrus. As far as longevity and projection is concerned the citrus does not last long and the coffee notes last a few hours. I would not buy Givenchy Play over the Givenchy Play Intense.

yella_light
yella_light

Great fragrance. I haven't smelled anything like this.
The citrus on here along with the fresh spicy is okay, and the coffee notes makes it better.
The opening is citrus with a small hint of coffee in the background. After it starts to drydown, the coffee notes take over, but not too sweet like the intense version.
When the coffee notes become stronger, the citruses begin to fade away but still i the background. This is perfect for gourmand lovers who don't want something too sweet.
I don't see this doing well in the hot summer days. It's better for summer nights or cool summer days. Best if worn during the Fall and Spring or a night out. A person might be able to wear it for the Winter.
If the citrus notes were toned down a bit, it would be my signature scent and I would give it 5 stars
(2-3 sprays max)

Age group: 18+
Projection: 4.5 stars
Longevity: 5 stars
Smell: 4.75 stars
Versatility: 4.75 stars
Overall: 4.75 stars

Wolfcreek
Wolfcreek

Play is a great fragrance,very masculine,elegance and strong,longevity is great.I love this fragrance.

roger.jinete
roger.jinete

I like it but there's a plethora of other men's colognes similar to this one and some even smell better. On top of that it doesn't last more than 1 hour on my skin.
It's a citrus fragrance that can be worn by guys who are not really into fragrances and for guys who are not looking for something special, just smell good.
It's a nice cologne though, I'd just never buy it. I want to get inspired by a fragrance and this doesn't make me feel so good. But I like it on other guys, It's a nice cologne after all.

Songbird891
Songbird891

I got a deluxe sample of this a while back an only just got around to really smelling it. I love this cologne. It's a new favourite of mine. It's soft and close to the skin, but oh so sexy smelling, fresh and woody with a hint of sweetness. Now I'm a girl so I didn't test it on me, it was on my boyfriend, and I can say that I will definitely buy him a full sized bottle because this is excellent on him. It's definitely geared toward a younger wearer, and is sweeter than most colognes, but definitely masculine.
Give it a try, it might be a new favourite.

oxm
oxm

Play by Givenchy is a modern fragrance with citrus notes at the opening enriched with spices and precious woods, the famous coffee I can not hear it (maybe because the touchstone to which I rely is still A * men).
This scent is very refined and elegant, could be likened to something very luxurious, while maintaining an incredible discretion, does not scream at anybody is terribly persuasive indeed ... remember the sirens of Ulysses?
He has a longevity of all respect and the scent is fantastic, I do not remember that fragrances can look like him, but perhaps very distantly Very Irresistible with its gourmand notes could be close, but I prefer to Play matches also because the modern classic that never hurts.
I think it is more suitable for events that for the use of all the days, only using it a little at a time can appreciate even more ...
One of the masterpieces of Givenchy

Linden
Linden

Play's slightly bitter opening citruses are vibrant and juicy-I love the scent of orange peel. The freshness of the top joins the heart seamlessly; the light woody notes and subtle coffee accord blend well. I sometimes find coffee heavy in other frags yet it's very soft and pleasant here. The touch of sweetness in the base grounds the scent nicely, adding depth.
This is quite young, but still has a touch of Givenchy elegance. Very nice sillage, good longevity and do I find Play outlasts its sweeter, heavier Intense partner.

Grottola
Grottola

I'm glad I revisited Play, because it does deserve some praise in this climate of dull, faceless masculine fragrances we have today. You would think the citrus and coffee might clash and smell weird, but in Play they balance each other out and smell amazing. Play has, so far, the best coffee note I've smelled in any fragrance... even beating out Mugler's Pure Coffee. With the pepper and patchouli as well, it gives off a Terre d'Hermes sort of feel, which makes me think there may be an Iso E Super note in there as well, but I could be wrong.

When it comes to modern masculines, Play is worth checking out. It's satisfying, unique, youthful, and lasts a good while. The coffee accord gives it a comforting sensuality, and if you like the base notes in this one, then you should definitely try the Intense version, as well.

TK421
TK421

I am really surprised by this one. I bought it a few months back on sale and didn't really test it until today, when I wore it for work for the first time.

First of all the longevity really surprised me. I put it on at 07.00 in the morning and it hasn't completely disappeared on my skin before now, and it is now 21.30 in the evening. I would never have expected a longevity of 14 hours from a fragrance like this. Granted it is extremely close to the skin but still.

Yes it is a sweet synthetic scent, but hey... I like it and find it pleasant. It is modern and nice. And who doesn't want to smell modern and nice?

Yes Justin Timberlake is the posterboy for this, but come on... Timberlake has long ago lost his boyband image and he is a cool multitalented man, so I would not think twice about using something just because it uses him in the marketing campaign.

I think this would be a very nice fragrance for the comming spring and summer, and for heading downtown for a cool drink at a nice bar or café in the afternoon.

Bobster
Bobster

My wife got me this for christmas and I must say that I love this fragrance. Givenchy knocked it out of the park with this one. Very well blended,long lasting, and just smells plain good. The day after I got it I wore it to a dinner with friends and family and got a compliment not long after my arrival. Definitely a keeper in my book and I definitely reccommend it.

dutchschwag
dutchschwag

Givenchy Play is a very well packaged and marketed cologne implying digital sophistication in the 21st century and a 24/7 urban lifestyle where being in the know and having technology are one and the same. The bottle is sleek and stylish, replete with Ipod decor intended to appeal to the twenty something crowd in an attempt to persuade them a spritz of Givenchy´s disappearing act inside the beautiful bottle can offer an even more modern hipness if applied correctly.
Unfortunately for all those involved, Givenchy Play is nothing more than a well designed marketing ploy that falls extremely short in substantive quality when it comes to the actual quality of the fragrance itself.
The opening accord is a somewhat sour but fairly balanced and attractive blend of citrus and amyris wood (the single element that gives Play some originality) that sadly, instantaneously collapses into a skin scent and begins to fade quickly without any push of projection or longevity. Two to three hours can even be overly ambitious on some, with life on my skin ranging from as brief as one and a half hours to as long as five. Beyond the opening and middle accords, where much of the attractiveness to Play is found, things get rather bland quickly. This is due to the light patchouli and floral drydown that comes as a bit of let down given the unique opening blend and amyris wood note that promises something different. but ultimately ends up blending in to a rather stale and uninspiring standard release that prides itself far more on its packaging than chemistry.
Inoffensive and lacking any real muscle, Givenchy Play under-performs in longevity and projection and ultimately fails to deliver anything really modern or innovative beyond the short lasting amyris wood note that manages to fade into the background rather quickly.
Play is better suited for those who are easily convinced quality is a matter of packaging and perception rather than attention to detail. Massively overrated, push pause on this one, if you can manage to reach the button before the juice fades out on its own.

andy
andy

from a house like givenchy i want to smell more rich spices, woods, patchouli and more "exotic" ingredients rather than americanized "fresh citrus" fragrances but this is definitely not bad, its a very youthful fragrances and it has become very popular with lots of people

and the aromatic nature of this fragrance really gives it a great drydown and it smells a tad bit better than many of the other dept store frags i have sampled

evrenzos
evrenzos

this scent reminds me ALOT of euphoria by calvin klein. it smells very similar. i like the bottle. its very modern. i like how they have an intense version as well (again, like euphoria). i would recomend you chose either this one or euphoria, as they both smell really alike. my BF has this, and he loves it cause the bottle looks like an ipod. i wont last all day, but a good couple of hours.

ahnafuz
ahnafuz

smooth soft and decent. a polite perfume for everyone. good staying power.

Tooraj
Tooraj

تو این رینج قیمتی از خودش بدتر خودشه...بیشتر جای مام اسپری میکنم زیر بغلم! موندگاریش یک ساعته و پخش بوش خیلی کم. هیچ بوی خاصی نمیده... واقعا انتخاب اشتباهی بود

Barolo
Barolo

I prefer my scent be very pleasing to me and tolerable to others.

This one fills the bill quite nicely. I really enjoy the subtle scents, and this one is very subtle.

Oftentimes, someone will walk past you and it's the equivalent of a kid with a souped up stereo with a giant sub in the trunk driving by with the windows down and some offensive rap turned up to max volume. This isn't what I'm into.

Play is your favorite song enjoyed by you at an acceptable level being played through your earbuds and everyone noticing you enjoying the music.

Nah, all the above is crap! I just enjoy how it smells and it isn't overpowering to me and hopefully others.

natefifield
natefifield

Yes, coffee, pepper, citrus, some kind of caramelized sugary taste.

Not inspiring enough. Like a decent piece of dark candy that was a little too bitter, you won't go back for another. There is no flight, no intoxication, no sexy or dirty humanity. It only vibrates in a kind of deep, dull way.

It has a certain kind of attitude which is appropriate for today's man. A Justin Timberlake world of mechanical and aggressive sex, without the need to invite or lure. Without romance or guile, suspense or magic.

Which really defeats the whole purpose of perfume. A scent marketed around the idea of an MP3 player? The aggressive bombast of the white man's hip-hop world? There is no subtlety or mystery in it. The least someone like Justin Timberlake can do is wear a scent which gives him some romance, some humanity, some sweetness or richness. But running as he does, only on the attractiveness of his physical gifts and his focus on undiluted sexuality, it only goes so far. So also with this perfume. The ingredients are nice, real, strong and sturdy, but there is no art.

deyutzu90
deyutzu90

It doesn't stay longtime on the skin :((

tots_eminem
tots_eminem

exacly like Oriflame S8

Sultan
Sultan

tried so many times. this fragrance is burning on my skin and in minutes it disappears. starts nicely, like hundreds of other office colognes a-la PG formula. i couldn’t distinguish any coffee notes even now (sitting at home, found a tester and splashed it all over my hands), not like in Rochas Man for example. very weak on sillage and longevity. quite good as a refresher when you are going to your lover after whatever, cuz the tongue will not feel anything on the body (unlike other colognes based on natural notes) unless you are clean enough. So if you bought it - use it wisely, don't use it to make impression, or at night or day, better throw it away and get something better. I understand Givenchy - they had to produce a scent. but we do not have to buy it, right?!

Dr_Spazmo
Dr_Spazmo

Smells like the aftersmell of a haircut with a hint of marker. Not something that would make it to my shelf

maab
maab

Nice fragance, but as many reviewers said, nothing special.

jerseyjoe1981
jerseyjoe1981

i think it smells powdery and musky and sweet. Nothing special here....next

thatsmr2usir
thatsmr2usir

Givenchy Play is a backstreet fragrance. What I mean by that is it hides in the shadows of so many other fragrances of it's kind like many other's have said. I am glad I only got a sample of this. It opens up synthetic with citrus, woods & some coffee.

While this does not sound bad, it is due to the lack of quality that is produced in this fragrance. It should appeal to those teenagers whom are young @ heart, but I can not recommend this fragrance to anyone over the age of 20! Givenchy perfumes are usually a hit or miss with me as they will either last a nice while or will fade away rather swiftly. This is the case with Play. I get a max 3 hours then it fades to nothing. Projects? Not much if @ all. Intense would be a much better option than this. However the bottle is unique.

buharyn
buharyn

good for office , nothing special

GreenMan
GreenMan

Bitter citrus peel in the beginning, then amyris wood and coffee. I don´t get much of the patchouli or vetiver though. Longevity is good, lasts about 8 hours and projection is 3/5. Good for work, stays quite close to the skin.

mil1991
mil1991

my boyfriend wear it and its smell so sexy on him...i really wanna hug him all the time when he wearing this scent..and its a long lasting fragrance , after he come home at 7pm..i can still smell the scent so nice on him....

Cylob

Haha! Sorry Papi! You are right: it's not bad at all, hehe :)
Just not what I'm into lately.
And like you say: great for spring/summer.

Papi
Papi

I got full 50ml bottle so shhh!!!

I prefer more black version as it is stronger and sweeter, but if you live in sunny place where it's quite hot, then this one would be great. Boring? maybe a bit but everybody got different taste.

6.5/10

Cylob

Boring... Citrus opening shifting into soft woods.
Not bad, but nothing special and done many times before (and much better). >>ffwd

5.5/10

Raptole
Raptole

I didn't like this cologne over all. I got the 50 ml(1.7 oz) bottle. Smelled too feminine on my skin, too girly and definitely didn't last long enough on my skin. Luckily I also got the Play Intense in a bigger bottle, so I don't regret looking at Givenchy now, but I threw away the Givenchy Play 50 ml bottle, although I've used it just a bit over 10 times. I wasn't satisfied with this one.
Longevity - around 3 and a half hours, 4 at the most.
Projectivity - doesn't project that well, stays really close to the skin and if you walk by someone there is a little possibility they will smell this on you! But the score I would give to this cologne would be 6/10. I give it 6, instead of 5 only because it is Givenchy and has a beautiful body design and the sprayer is so darn good!

rehabnursevanessa
rehabnursevanessa

I don't usually love citrusy fragrances but I had a sample from Macy's and tried it on my boyfriend. I was smelling him all day. It lasted a long time and I plan to purchase a bottle of it for him. This one caught me by surprise. Very clean and fresh but sexy all at the same time.

Widiya
Widiya

yeah, I knew this one is a lil extreme.. but I like the smell when about 5-6 hour on ur skin

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

AAAH coffe flower, thats what I could smell.
As unique (to me) as this is, and I'm a stickler for unique scents, I actually dont like it :-(
If I bought this blind, I would be in love with it by now, as the "well you've bought it, just enjoy it" mentality would kick in and it would have grown on me very quickly.

Anyway, at the risk of sounding a lil un-PC, i definitely recommend this for alot of the certain young, hip dudes of Asian decent that I know at work, it has that sort of modern, tech-aged feel about it that would go great with that style, particularly, the guys you see one 'So you think you can dance'

JustinV
JustinV

On my skin:
Top : Fresh scent (not again....), with a barely detectable coffee scent, you will have to dig in to find that scent. A little touch of pepper on the background. 3-4 hours mark.

Middle: Some spices + pepper scent starts to creep, citrus scent pops up, noticeable but by a whiff. Some woody scent pops out, but not really noticeable (unless u sweat a little). 3-4 hours mark.

Base: Something creamy, sweet, chocolate-like scent comes in. This is interesting. 2-3 hours mark.

A scent that I don't get complements at the beginning, but gets it in the middle notes mark. But for some reason, I find this scent....forgettable.

I believe this is a daily scent, its not cloying, not shocking, and not offending. It just sits there fine. But not really an attention grabber.

I bet you guys, this scent was an inspiration of our Asian 'tea time' drink, lemon + coffee (yes, we have it here, it is drinkable, and for sure nice to drink).

The country I am in has no 4 seasons, so it is either hot or cold weather. This works very well on both, but better daily, it is a little quiet at night or cold.

My rating (base on 5 stars)

Scent: 3 (unique gourmand scent, but those citrus notes, seems to be similiar to givenchy blue label pour homme).

Sillage: 3 (sits quietly when doing nothing, but passing by people, people can scent by a whiff).

Time length: 4 (not bad actually, I get 8 hours for a citrus-gourmand scent).

Occasion: 4 (You can use this at work, for a jog, anything daily.).

Overall base on mathematics: 3.5/5

A scent which does not really bring much impact to me, I have yet to experience a good one from givenchy's house =)

Omega Man
Omega Man

A classy modern scent. Play is a little fru-fru for my style, but it lasts forever and smells better and better the longer it stays on you. People who like aquatics may not like this type of fragrance as it lacks that typical punch of freshness. However it is very clean.

urobian

its a big mistake to judge something by its appearance, in the art of perfumery important thing is inside. There are many beautiful bottles with really awful aroma inside, why judge a perfume just for the bottle?

first try both parts and go ahead with your point of view.

I tested Play and Play Intense on the same day...I put the Play down and bought the Intense, before it had even dried! At first sniff they are similar, but after the initial blast subsides they are in fact related-yet quite different...

Both this and Intense are built around torchwood notes(amyris):a highly flammable wood (hence the torch-wood name) that is the source of the resin elemi(Latin name of the tree is amyris elemifera)and due to the high concentrations of resins is quite aromatic. It grows mainly in the Carribean, Florida and Central America. Here, in Play EDT, the citruses are subtle and sexy , but lighten the overall resiny wood notes. The heart notes of pepper and coffee flowers are particularly inviting; spicy but subdued, alongside a very earthy floral air. These supporting notes make the amyris just come alive. The drydown of vetiver and patchouli is earthy, raw and sexy-but never gets that dark or mean. I genuinely like PLAY, but I am in love with INTENSE...

Sillage: good
Longevity: good to very good
Overall: 3.5/5

If Play and Intense were the Givenchy brothers: Play would be the light haired, blue-eyed athletic, outgoing popular one who every one just loved and found so handsome and perfect; and INTENSE would be the darker brother: an introverted, artistic guy who no one really "got"; but was infinitely more interesting and far sexier, though nowhere near as popular...Play EDT is more on the surface, nice and polished. Play Intense is more raw, deeper, and profound. Similar genes, but entirely different attitudes, feel and spirits.

This fragrance is the kind of citrus that I like on a man.

The mandarin, bergamot, grapefruit and bitter orange work in perfect unison with one another. The opening is crisp and energising rather than sharp or headache-inducing like most citrus-based scents are for me.

Despite the fact that Play is fairly unoriginal, it is extremely inticing. I must admit that I don't like the bottle design. It's strange like a remote or something, clunky and looks cheaply made, however the fragrance makes up for the odd marketing.

The pepper and the coffee in the heart does not feature as strongly as I expected they would, however because this fragrance is primarily a Summer scent, the strength of these notes would have inbalanced the liveliness and crispness of the scent.

Like many have mentioned before me, the lasting power is unfortunately quite poor which is a little disappointing seeming that this is one of the nicest male releases this year.

I did however get the chance to experience the drydown before it faded far too quickly, which was an earthy and masculine blend of vetiver and patchouli.

guest_Bertram perera
guest_Bertram perera

Good perfume but very bad lasting .

guest_Art
guest_Art

A gift from my wife. Loved it but not long lasting smell.

I got to try a sample packet today and it's not exactly citrusy but just straight up vetiver woody scent that is clean and fresh with espresso-like aroma on the edge. It smells pretty good but not special enough for me to get one plus it's quite pricey.

andrevarx
andrevarx

This EDT has a very fresh input notes and citrus, giving way to the middle notes of citrus and lime with touches of green wood, very good combination, base notes of wood become greener.

Suitable for all ages, in warm or temperate seasons. Its use is very suitable for major office events, gives an impression of cleanliness and neatness. This fragrance gives a brilliant impression, also works well in casual events and nights out including a gala nights, is a fine combination. Highly recommended.

MartinaG
MartinaG

The only one perfume for men that I use for myself!!! I love it. Totally! It's the perfect smell of my man, and it's really attractive, when I wore it to the club I saw girls smelling the air :)))

urobian

i have to write and update. Play is simply delicious, the more i wear it the more i love it, the progress in every phase of the smell is balanced, very magnetic and permanent with a soft sillage. This fragance could share many kind of point of views but finally is really nice, comfortable, sexy with some touch of originality, stay great in many kind of moments/situations.

rodmassacre
rodmassacre

Great fragrance. One of my wardrobe favourites.
Opens with a cirtusy blast, allright, but the drydown is very different from the opening notes. Kind of a milky-chocolate smell.
The sillage is not that great, but it lasts abou 4-5 hours on my skin.

scenturian
scenturian

Top notes are citrussy but mid and base are woody spicy.
Very hot, very masculine scent.
Longevity and sillage is ok on me.
It is almost same as the intense version in a weaker way, only the difference is that the top is more fresh and citrussy.

Brando
Brando

This smells like a new pair of socks, vanilla, and pine needles. It is ok, but I wouldn't buy it again. Does not last long

fingerlicker
fingerlicker

Very feminine fragrance IMO. Be sure to test it on your skin before buying.

Quite generic also.

1/5 from me

ok, here we have the little cheap brother of Angel Man by Mugler, this stuuf is so common that this doesnt deserve much explanation.. Horrible, commom and cheap.. i will prefer to put a coffe in my arm to smell like this.... Baseless

hand77
hand77

Great smell. Summer smell for sure!

urobian

A soft aromatic-woody fragance, nice, comfortable and easy to wear.. the last touch is close to Pi neo with a fruity-dry floral angle.

Lets try the counterpart " intense".

periquito89
periquito89

Nice enough. A "déjà vu" feeling, however, immediately after smelled this, which made me thinking about some other recents perfumes I've smelled, and is a reason (for me) to look for something slightly different. The intense version is better, in the sense that it has a nice "coffee note" at the beggining, one of the nicest I've smelled so far. BUT, when that note vanishes (Play Intense), what I got is, again, this Givenchy Play Eau de Toilete ...

taydev
taydev

a bit too soft for me. nice, but i prefer to smell the intense version on a man than this one.

MR.ClickClick
MR.ClickClick

I just received this as a birthday gift! I wanted it so bad ever since it launched... You can never go wrong with Givenchy, seriously. At first glance though the bottle threw me off. A givenchy cologne with fake buttons on it? Uh Oh, not good... YES GOOD! The liquid sealed inside is incredible! :)

It's such a mellow, comfortable, warm, refreshing, clean, modern, soft, gentle and classy scent. I hope you get the idea lol. The citruses are just perfect, very uplighting and the pepper gives the citruses a great undertone. I think there are secret ingredients in this or something because the four listed above are just too incredible to be true for this cologne.

If I could compare the way this smells to other colognes I'd say it's Dior's Homme Sport combined with the same light drydown effect of Givenchy's Pi Neo.

The longevity is great too. It last on me all day, as usual. I never get sick of the fragrance either.

Ok we all have been wondering the same thing: Which is better? The Original or Intense? And really there is no answer to that. It all comes down to personal preference. They smell very similar, with citruses and coffee being what I smell the most in them. The Original has more of the citruses, whereas the Intense has more of the coffee.

I see Givenchy Play staying in the department stores for a looooong time. But hey, what Givenchy fragrance hasn't? There is a reaaasoooon ^^v

mmizy
mmizy

It smells very nice. Refreshing and citrusy. I personally love it!!! It is not overwhelming and the perfect cologne for someone who has a sensitive nose. I also agree that it is suitable for young adults. I have plans to buy it for my sixteen yr old brother.

Yiorgos
Yiorgos

Uuuuuuh! The name of this perfume describes exactly its characther! Its low rofile, but the same time alive. Its also very sexy. Suitable for young people.

Lunohodik
Lunohodik

when I tested it for the first time I was amaized and bought it immediatelly, gave it to my brother and guess what-he loooooves it.

very clean perfume, for a modern young creative person.
citrus is not too prominent here, it just gives you the freshness you expect from a perfume created for Young and bold at heart:)))

my brother says that this perfume always works-during snowboarding in the mountaings its pleasant, at a night club it attracts girls, and our mom and grannie liked it too:)))

Giv1952
Giv1952

got it today, this duo is extremly hot. the black is strong wood, sweet coffe flower, the white id fresh, light wood. the arymys is so noble.
The intense (black version) is a little like Ange Ou Demon (may be its fiance)

Givenchy Play Eau de Toilette by Givenchy 3.71 out of 5 based on 579 ratings and 96 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Givenchy Givenchy Play Eau de Toilette fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Givenchy Givenchy Play Eau de Toilette, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Givenchy Play Eau de Toilette by Givenchy. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Givenchy Play Eau de Toilette by Givenchy represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.