Designers » F-H » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

L`Interdit Givenchy for women

L`Interdit Givenchy for women
dislike

L`Interdit Givenchy for women Pictures L`Interdit Givenchy for women Pictures L`Interdit Givenchy for women Pictures L`Interdit Givenchy for women Pictures

L`Interdit by Givenchy is a Floral Aldehyde fragrance for women. L`Interdit was launched in 1957. The nose behind this fragrance is Francis Fabron. Top notes are aldehydes, spices, mandarin orange, peach, bergamot and wild strawberry; middle notes are iris, violet, narcissus, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, vetiver and tonka bean.

Aldehydes Spices Mandarin Orange Peach Bergamot Wild Strawberry

iris Violet Narcissus Orris Root Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Rose

Sandalwood Amber Musk Benzoin Vetiver Tonka Bean

L`Interdit Fragrance Reviews

Elbereth
Elbereth

After learning that L'Interdit was Audrey Hepburn's signature fragrance (absolutely adore her!), I acquired a tiny 3mL vintage bottle, and wow, absolutely beautiful and stunning!

I can definitely see why others compare it to Chanel No. 5 because of the strong aldehyde note, but where Chanel No. 5 seems reserved for someone who is a little more mature, L'Interdit is absolutely ageless. Without a doubt, I love Chanel No. 5, but I ended up giving away my bottle because as a twenty-six-year-old, I felt like a child in their mother's oversized pumps clumsily trapsing around when I wore it.

L'Interdit in turn felt like having an inherited piece of jewelry from a grandmother. It is without a doubt not modern in the least, but it is more beautiful and unique because of that. And like an inherited vintage piece, L'Interdit is special to wear; it's special because of it's history and definitely not something that's thrown on for day to day use. It has an appropriateness and elegance the same way an old locket would have, and it's classy and sophisticated. Not provactive, yet alluring. It's easy to see why someone like Audrey would have loved it.

Nirhtuc
Nirhtuc

I'm just not an aldehydes person- it does work sometimes, as in the case of the old Gucci 1. I got a sample of this from The Perfumed Court (the original/vintage version, not the re-issued current one), and I dabbed some on an hour or so ago. I can't comment on longevity, but sillage is soft to moderate. The perfume itself reminds me a lot of the inside of my mother's handbag, lipstick and money, and of perfumes like Red Door, which I don't really enjoy. I guess I might have liked the perfume if I was living back in the 50s or 60s. The notes that stand out the most on me are aldehydes (unfortunately) and heady jasmine. I can't really picture someone like a young Audrey Hepburn wearing this...

jana.hullinghorst
jana.hullinghorst

I just received a tiny bottle of this from LittleMissCharming (thank you so much!!) This is soooo good! It's beautiful, classy, inoffensive, soft whispers of mossy powder projecting from my skin.. it's a cross between mitsouko and dioressence. This is going to be my next big bottle purchase for sure!

katieathens
katieathens

I bought it a long time ago when I read that it was Audrey's favorite perfume. I really really liked it. To me it was very flowery but not in a bad way! It reminded me of spring and Easter time, of breezy sping evenings. I have a little bit left, but the bottle is at my parents house, so I can't sniff it...:-(

StopHammertime
StopHammertime

Never in a million years did I think I was going to like this perfume. I hate aldehydes and jasmine. I got a really tiny mini of the parfum because I thought the little bottle was so cute. I heard that Audrey Hepburn loved this perfume, so I had to see what it was about. OMG I love it! It reminds me of Chanel No. 5, but in a more wearable way. So classy! The minute I dabbed a bit on my hand it was magic! I was so surprised by how much I love it. It smells soapy, powdery, a little sweet, a little flowery. It makes me want to be the lady that wears this!

bluemlein
bluemlein

this young-girl scent doesn't like my body chemistry and vice versa. all i get from it is a generic chemical catch in the back of my throat, so i have done the best thing i could with it:

given it to the people who collect dresses and accessories to help teens who have nothing go to the prom. after all, perfume is the touch that pulls it all together.

drummagick
drummagick

Received a vintage bottle today with a little bit left in it. The notes seem to be intact. In the beginning there was a burst of what I think must be aldehydes (not ever having smelled them by themselves, I'm not sure what they smell like!), then a light floral with just a hint of strawberry. As time went on it turned to complete powder on my skin. I have never smelled a perfume this powdery. It brings to mind a plump little white haired grandma :) I can parse out some really nice sandalwood in the base, a little musk, a bit of tonka. Very pretty, but I like my perfumes a little more on the strange side.

lornacampbell@mail.com
lornacampbell@mail.com

I miss this fragrance so much x

cleo777
cleo777

This was my mother's signature scent. I kept trying to find her another bottle but had no luck. Sadly she has passed but I will always remember her L'Interdit.

Jazzy76
Jazzy76

Era il profumo di Audrey Hepburn.E ho detto tutto...

acavicchi
acavicchi

My mother has a bottle of vintage L'Interdit by Givenchy that had belonged to my late grandmother. It was my grandmother's favourite perfume and, though there is almost nothing left in the bottle, the very faint scent that remains immediately evokes memories of her.

L'Interdit, to me, is clean, pretty and comforting. I have a hard time isolating certain notes as there is so very little left in the bottle and I'm almost afraid that if I smell if too often, it will disappear, but it is a powdery, clean scent. It is very well balanced so that the florals aren't overpowering, but complementary to the other notes in the fragrance. I also believe there is a warm, mildly spicy, mildly herbal or aromatic note to it that really sets it apart from other perfumes.

There are certain times when I feel really grateful for scent and its ability to bring back memories of happy times or to remind you of people you have lost. When I smell L'Interdit, I remember the feeling of being loved and cared for by someone very special to me.

Vintage L'Interdit is a very special perfume. I can most definitely imagine Audrey Hepburn wearing this fragrance, and I find it a much better pairing than Marilyn Monroe with Chanel No.5.

I shelled out the money to smell the original formula, and I'm so glad I did. It's a very classic scent, powdery aldehydes inclusive, yet I find it far more complex than people give it credit for.

L'Interdit EDT opens with a bright, sparkling burst of aldehydes, peach and strawberry. The powdery aspect is thankfully not overpowering, although dominant. The fruits give L'Interdit a beautiful, juicy and Spring-like feel.

The scent itself is rather subtle which surprised me at first, however I much prefer it this way when I come to think of it. After the fruitiness subsides, the floral accords become much more pronounced, with a rather strong focus on powdery rose and iris. The way the heart settles brings a smile to my face as I picture Audrey Hepburn decked out in her expensive Givenchy gown with an elegant string of pearls setting off her slender neck. She was a woman that stunned the world with her beauty and style, yet it came so naturally to her. L'Interdit has managed to capture the essence of her in a bottle.

In some ways, this fragrance is quite refined and elegant, although its delicacy hints at something a lot more intimate and sensual. The powderiness is somewhat similar in composition to the infamous Chanel No.5, however L'Interdit caters to a variety of tastes, throwing in an array of fruits and berries, and further developing into a spicy incense drydown.

Unfortunately my skin chemistry has not done justice to this fragrance, turning the peach note into something a little too fizzy and bitter. I envy those who can maintain L'Interdit's smoothness on their skin with no rude interruptions. Audrey Hepburn must have been an amazing smelling woman in her day.

tiuku03
tiuku03

this is my first review here. L'interdit was my signature scent for years until it ran out of stock here in Finland. It is my all time favorite ever to exist. The original eau de parfum has not been available since the 80's. I have only had eau de toilettes since then. My last bottle of the original ran out before the year 2000. I have now gotten bottles of the Les Mythiques 2007 version on Ebay. The price and availability of that is also not good any more. So I am on a long and hard quest for something like this as a signature scent in the future.

The best part of this for me is the wonderful old fashioned powderiness of the drydown. L'interdit is a subtle soft sensual scent on me. It never gives me a migraine. I love it at all times of the day and year. It is great for work, play and everything. The eau de toilette does not have a lot of staying power. That is its major con. If anyone suggest a new signature scent for a L'interdit lover I am open to suggestions. I also like the original Ferre by ferre but that feels a bit overpowering sometimes. And also a discontinued hard to find scent.

MrPerfumeKing
MrPerfumeKing

A futher note on this legendary scent, it was infact worn by Audrey Hepburn, a very close friend of Mr Hubert De Givenchy, and according to legend, the name "L'interdit" came from Audrey Hepburn whom told Mr Hubert de Givenchy "I forbid you to commercialise My perfume" and so came the name "L'interdit" "the forbidden" fascinating story from a truely luxurious perfume and fashion house.

A classic aldehydic fruit with smoky woods. Very lovely, very addicting. There is something about it that reminds of a different era, a different world and there's a bit of longing in there for things past. That being said, it's also slightly dated, but for the woman with attitude, this will never be an issue.

jena6867
jena6867

Aaaah, so beautiful, dont buy the version of this age, it is nothing like the original, sadly not available anymore

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

Smokey and deep. One feels a million dollars wearing this scent. Best for a gala, intimate, evening event, where you will be sitting close to your loved one. Apply sparingly and let the perfume do the rest. It wafts and does not nag incessently like some modern perfumes.

Kiku
Kiku

L'Interdit captures the essence of the enchanting woman, Audrey Hepburn, who inspired it -- elegant, sophisticated, lovely. It's composition is like almost every other classic fragrance: a fruity/spicy opening followed by a soft floral heart, an earthy base. What sets L'Interdit apart is the large amount of orris and violets in the center. They give a soft, dry, powdery calmness. This perfume has a gentle heart. For the Audrey that's in every woman.

Lady Love
Lady Love

(Original Edp Review)

Smell like the most expensive and powdery hands cream.

Extremely sophisticated, innocent and elegant, but I see Audrey wearing a more complex and risky fragrance.

My only regret is the Very weak lasting power.

mymlan
mymlan

I got my hands on a vintage edp that I bought blindly only on basis of notes and reviews. First I found the top a bit strange and almost unbalanced, so I had to give it a few tries before I begun to understand it.

It is usually a good sign when I have to give a fragrance several tries. My crush for them seems to be both harder and deeper if I overcome the first hesitation.

l'Interdit starts off a bit sour from the bergamot that mixes with a cold aldehydic wind. Then it suddenly gets warm from the spices and some sweetness from the peach and strawberrys joins in. Alltogether a quite interesting concoction that may be puzzling at first.

But then the flowery heart reveals it's beauty and fulfils all hopes that I had from reading about its notes. Violet, powdery iris, sensual rose and jasmine plays along in such small doses each that the result is a warm, powdery, slightly sweet and innocently sexy air that rests on my wrist for hours and hours. I find the main theme both creamy and a little powdery but not in a milky baby powder way. The initial basenotes provides the flowery heart with character. Also, handful strawberries from the top dances around the heart in order to keep it young and happy. I find l'Interdit utterly feminine with an ooze of innocent sensuality in an almost teengirlish kind of way.

Beeing one of the classics It also surprises me in two major ways. First: It is so soft... and second: the strawberry note so recognizable. Usually fruits and berries in classics are so much blended in to the scent that you only get fragments from it. But not here. The strawberry is natural and clear on top of all the other goodies.

If you love classics you should really give original l'Interdit a try. It's such a lovley gem, yet with a modern twist eventhough it was created already in the 50's.

Amethyststar
Amethyststar

I nearly fell over from the scent--much too heavy, and as it dried down it seemed to smell like a perfume my mom used to wear called Blue Carnation. I would not buy this!

Mals86
Mals86

I'm testing the Les Mythiques 2007 version. It is definitely a classic-style aldehydic floral. However, the aldehydes are a softer version, a la No. 5 Eau Premiere, much pleasanter to modern sensibilities, and they are sweetened by just a hint of fruit in the topnotes. The florals are so well-blended that it is difficult to identify individual notes, although I do get quite a lot of what I think of as traditional Rose-Jasmine Accord, with some iris underpinning. Base notes are rich, elegant, and powdery.

If you like the great classic perfumes - Chanel No. 5 and Joy - you will probably enjoy L'Interdit. I find both of those a shade on the too-powdery side for me, but I like and would happily wear L'Intedit. Classic, beautiful, appropriate for nearly any occasion.

fotolux
fotolux

It is very old fashioned classic scent. Aldehydic at the beginning and powdery-floral in base. It is warm, elegant and feminine. It`s reminds me about a wonderful lady which like it so much. Stylish woman in fantastic black hat in "Breakfast at Tiffany's". About Audrey Hepburn.

Leesee
Leesee

Legend has it this scent was created especially for Audrey Hepburn, and was worn exclusively by Ms. Hepburn for several years before Givenchy released it to the public. It is easy to see why Audrey Hepburn would have fallen for the scent -- its combination of flowers, fruit, and spices, anchored by a musky and resinous base, sits on the skin like a dream, and never hits a false note from start to finish. So, whether L'Interdit's origins are fantasy or fact, it is a scent that is as lovely and as graceful as Ms. Hepburn herself. Wear it and release "the Hepburn within."

eskarina62
eskarina62

Bought it after I had read an article in a magazine - it was already a fragrance hard-to-find.
The article went to to say that all women in the 60s were wearing it - it had become a madness...
I think, though that it is not my piece of cake - lacks in sweetness and sensuality - something I definitely look for in perfumes.
A friend, though fell in love with it, so I gave it to her.
She has been thanking eversince :-)
With those unafraid of curiosity lol, it is a MUST
very very different from fleurs d'interdit

L`Interdit by Givenchy 4.26 out of 5 based on 150 ratings and 25 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Givenchy L`Interdit fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Givenchy L`Interdit, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify L`Interdit by Givenchy. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of L`Interdit by Givenchy represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.