Designers » F-H » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy Givenchy for men

Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy Givenchy for men
dislike

Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy is a Citrus Aromatic fragrance for men. Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy was launched in 2007. Top notes are bergamot and lemon; middle notes are lavender and lemon verbena; base notes are hinoki wood and oakmoss.

Bergamot Lemon

Lavender Lemon Verbena

Hinoki Wood Oakmoss

Armani Prive Oranger Alhambra
Monsieur de Givenchy

Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy Fragrance Reviews

Citrus2014
Citrus2014

I discovered this delightful frizzante fragrance now that is endangered. From previous reviews I see that perfume was aggressively and repeatedly diluted.
Formerly it must have been one of the best on the market. If it will be worked by a brilliantly perfumer, it could be a bestseller today among many fresh/aquatics without personality.

Sillage 7/10
Repurchase: No

jtd
jtd

The Monsieur is one of a crew of wonderful masculine citrus chypres from the mid-20th century--Rochas Moustache, Chanel pour Monsieur, YSL pour Homme.) This genre smells like the middle ground between the feminine green chypre of the 1960s-1970s (Private Collection, Scherrer de Scherrer, Weil de Weil) and Eau de Cologne. Bear in mind I know the more current formulations of these citrus chypres, which according to many are ghosts of their earlier iterations. Myself, I turn to the above green chypres if I’m looking for ballsiness and volume. I like the current men’s citrus chypres for their subtlety and personal scale. I like this genre for wearing like Eau de Cologne with endurance. For this use, the Monsieur is perfect. (I have the les Mythiques formulation.)

The big dog on this block is Chanel pour Monsieur. At any time since its release it’s been considered the best men’s chypre on the market. Many call it the best men’s chypre of all time. I only know a recent formulation, and while pretty, it’s so short lived, and fades to such a spectral version of itself that I have to consider it effectively discontinued.

OK, obeisance and eulogy to Chanel done, on to Monsieur de Givenchy. The Monsieur is a long-lasting but light perfume that balances the simple composition, restraint and allure that leads to that rare outcome in masculine perfumery: quiet but unashamed beauty. I’ve found many who see MdG as the most damaged by reformulations of this genre. Perhaps for their purposes it is, but I find it enjoyable in the way that it accomplishes all the goals of the citrus chypre genre. It’s dry/bitter and austere. It reflects your skin. It combines an herbal citrus blend (pepper/lemon/bergamot) with a waxy musky quality that is distinctive yet easy-going. The floral notes give some depth. It starts rosy and eases into a low-key white floral tone that eventually settle into a carnation note that remains through drydown. Carnation? Or was that the pepper from the start? This little twist shows that for as unfussy as this genre is, the Monsieur wears an I’ve-got-a-secret smile from start to finish.

To some, this is a faded gentleman. To me, a charmer.

from scenthurdle

bmcleroy
bmcleroy

While this is a pleasing scent, I wore the original as long as I could find it, and this one doesn't compare.
The original was a"fuller", more complex scent which worked for daytime but was great for night. Had amazing longevity as well. I like the new well enough, but it doesn't seem to last more than a few hours at most.

Sunny South

Aromaticus
Aromaticus

Aaaah! love this fragrance, the smell takes me to my youth.
Now I'm happy for his reissue, so much so that I have 3 bottles

lovescully
lovescully

Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy is truly a stunning creation!

Regrettably, I’ve never had the opportunity here in Australia to sample the original formulation of Monsieur de Givenchy, so I’m unable to compare between the two. However, if this modern interpretation is anything to go by, then the original must surely have been one of the greatest ever male perfumes.

Comparisons could easily be made with Dior’s Eau Sauvage and YSL’s Pour Homme, but as the original Monsieur de Givenchy was created at least 5 years before Eau Sauvage and over a decade before YSL’s Pour Homme, I’d say that Givenchy was clearly leading the way in gentlemen’s scents in 1959. Chanel’s Pour Monsieur from 1955 is similar in construction, but where that has a herb/spice middle, Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy sticks to subtle florals.

Although this is heavily leaning towards citric, even serial citrus haters could find something to love here. The florals do their job really well. They subdue and refine the citrus just enough to take away that ‘sharp’ edge found in other citrus based scents like Dior’s Eau Sauvage. It finishes off with a very gentle woody base that matches perfectly with the top and middle notes.

It’s a very distinguished fragrance without being sharp. Overall this comes across as classic and elegant. Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy is a true gentlemen’s fragrance.

Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy 4.38 out of 5 based on 56 ratings and 5 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Givenchy Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Givenchy Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.