Designers » F-H » Woody « Groups

Les Parfums Mythiques - Vetiver Givenchy for men

Les Parfums Mythiques - Vetiver Givenchy for men
dislike

Les Parfums Mythiques - Vetiver by Givenchy is a Woody fragrance for men. Les Parfums Mythiques - Vetiver was launched in 2007. The nose behind this fragrance is Hubert Givenchy. Top notes are vetiver and bergamot; middle notes are coriander and vetiver; base notes are sandalwood and vetiver.

Vetiver Bergamot

Coriander Vetiver

Sandalwood Vetiver

Les Parfums Mythiques - Vetiver Fragrance Reviews

Pascal
Pascal

Excellent quality, good lasting power, modest pricing - switch on to autopilot with this one and relax!

MonsieurK
MonsieurK

I have not smelled the original but this is supposed to be a very faithful reformulation.

It is a very pure vetiver, very smooth and very refined. If you want vetiver with bells and whistles, don't get off at this stop.

An excellent dosage of bergamot and the spicy cardamom is blended masterfully. I understand why some would call this creamy. That sandalwood brings in that final buttress to the skin. Everything is just, well.... right.

It behaves on my skin the way Chanel Pour Monsieur does - a quiet hum of serenity with occasional wafts over the hours. I can't possibly see when this wouldn't be appropriate.

Many hold Guerlain's Vetiver as the benchmark. It is most plausible however, that Guerlain held Givenchy's as his benchmark.

Redbeard
Redbeard

Thumb slightly up. I got a sample of the recent reissue a few months ago, and for the most part I like it as a straightforward green scent with a persistent limey component. At first I couldn't tell that much difference from the pre-2000 Guerlain, which was my first and only vetiver at the time. Now, however, I see that the Givenchy is lacking some of the soft, sweetened roundness of the Guerlain (which I thought wasn't entirely necessary anyway). It has some of the sharp medicinal edge of Etro or the early stages of Encre Noire, but is still not as light, reedy and streamlined as the post-2000 Guerlain or the later stages of Encre Noire. For now, I still tend to like cleaner vetivers, such as the latter two, relegating the super soapy ones like Mugler or OV to a different mental category. From this house, I'd honestly be more likely to buy Monsieur de Givenchy for its citrusy green, because it just stands out more to me, and I can only expect finding unforetold vetiver scents in the future that I might enjoy even more than my current favorites. So for me, Givenchy's rendition is just a mile marker on the route to vetiver (:-D). Plus I don't know how long it's gonna be before they re-discontinue the re-release.

AZJeff
AZJeff

I'm not sure,but I think this fragrance is the one I've been looking for, for a long time. I didn't have any name or brand to go by to look for it. I just knew it smelled dry and elegant. Well, I ordered this fragrance blindly without trying a sample of it and I just received it today. I tried it on,and it does smell dry,and I can smell something a little nutty,then that goes away and then I smell something aromatic,maybe like carrot tops.? It is nice and I think I like it. It has an elegance about it. I don't like 2 other Givenchy colognes,"Givenchy Gentleman" and "Xeryus". So I hope I like this one. I will have to wear it more often to see if I like it. The only thing negative,I think, with this cologne is it doesn't seem to have much strength and projection is very low. Even if this is the cologne I was looking for,it's hard to tell cause they reformulate some of the ones they bring back,and then there's the thing about my skin chemistry or ph has changed since the 80's when I tried the cologne out.

Sacredsystem
Sacredsystem

A timeless classic that exemplifies sophistication, elegance and class. Very unique and made with a variety of vetivers to bring out all the characteristics of vetiver with a touch of citrus, coriander and sandalwood to create a true masterpiece. The result is an earthy, nutty, warm yet crisp vetiver that is not loud and aggressive, but gentlemanly and humble with sparks of attitude. Not for everybody, only mature and confident individuals wear this who know what they want from life. Longevity and projection is average. Now I know why Hubert de Givenchy wore this and it suited him perfectly. Class wearing class! I adore Guerlain Vetiver and respect Sycomore, but Givenchy's Vetyver is majestic and stands high above both of them. Highly recommended. I sampled the vintage version and it left me speechless. What are you waiting for? Go out and try it!

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

Givenchy is all Vetiver !!!. Yes there is some notes of Bergamot and Sandalwood which both makes it more a summer/fall scent with a spicy aroma. Givenchy used different Vetiver's from different parts of the world. The blend of all three create a earthy and slightly smokey scent.
I found this one incredible, one spray is a real blast of Vetiver which goes on and stays with you all day.
I thought that Gurelain and Tom Ford had the best of Vetiver.
Having sampled all three, all three are unique in their own way. Tom Ford Vetiver, has is slightly lighter base with a more citrus angle. Guerlain Vetiver is definitely more spice with a sage/leather base.
I find Givenchy Vetyver equal and to the same level of quality of the other two.
Both longevity and Sillage are rated high and I can't say enough...VETYVER ROCKS. An excellent masculine aroma, perfect for the daytime and evening occasions.
If you can find Givenchy Vetyver in the store buy it, it's worth every dollar.
It's a shame that Givenchy Vetyver isn't sold in the stores where I shop anymore. I personally like to smell the frag and buy it if I like it. After searching I finally found a 100ml and bought it.

ALL I CAN SAY IT'S AMAZING !!!!!!! 10/10****

ericrico
ericrico

The Les Parfums Mythiques - Vetyver by Givenchy bottling is a fantastic and exemplary scent that pays homage to the original creation, Eau de Vetyver in 1959 by Hubert Givenchy.

I have and know the original bottle - pristine & stored away (it is divine!) My review for that is on its own page - where it belongs. For wear, I bought this with a lot of hope after discussing it with people who have wonderful noses and a deep passion for vetiver, as do I. I've actually had this in my collection for a while, but held off writing a review, yet I adore it...so, it was only a matter of time. I have pointed several people to it as a truly exceptional vetiver that stays in the classic realm - yet is gorgeous & timeless. In the modern world of reformulation and with Givenchy's line of Les Parfums Mythiques having some bottles fall way short of their original juice (Xeryus, for example)...one must be selective and judge each bottle on its own merit.

Vetyver shows incredibly well - elegant, refined and with the classic four-note composition. The splash of bergamot on top is wonderful - not too loud, but crisp and inviting. No bitters, just a nice squeeze of juice that refreshes with nice vibrant, sharp vetiver showing immediately upon application (not dark or brooding - this is beautiful, rich, and very green vetiver!) With the bergamot, it is slightly "wet" and very fresh - even a touch "rooty". Please note, this is a true vetiver composition - which will show as the dominant note throughout (from the moment it leaves the atomizer and hits your skin), vetiver is the absolute focal point.

It is simply accented by the three other notes in the top, heart and base - but done so well. The coriander is a very key note in the heart, adding a nice earthy and wonderful spice to the composition. The vetiver gets a little drier at this point as the bergamot fades away and the famous "nutty" vibe begins to emerge. Still a radiant green, but slowly drying on your skin...the vetiver dusted by the coriander allows you to smell the earthiness of the root. The "nutty" vibe is different from other famous bottles and I will refrain from comparison. I will say, that this is simply amazing! I, personally, love the use of coriander here and understand the historical context back to the original bottling. Very warming on the skin...it also starts to wear a bit closer - but still very good projection for a "classic" vetiver composition. A little body heat, and this radiates wonderfully - but not too loud.

The is a refined composition that exemplifies, not amplifies, the vetiver and the accompaning notes to offer you three different accords. It is about balance and displaying the glorious root from its opening of radiant freshness (with bergamot) to accentuating its earthiness (with coriander) in the heart and finally its woodiness with the final note in the composition, sandalwood.

Late in the heart, the coriander slowly begins to fade - the vetiver root now has the dry, slightly crunchy nutty accord. One can breathe deep and it smells like the vetiver has been laid under the hot sun to dry out the root. The rich earthiness of the root shines through, slightly accented and assisted by the deft use of the dusty coriander spice.

The sandalwood enters quietly and shows us the amazing depth of the vetiver in this bottle. It is very warm and woody at this point with a hint of earthiness (which is the vetiver itself, not the coriander - that has since faded). It is distinct and very gentlemanly. The sandalwood is smooth and has a light creamy texture. This never stops projecting wonderful, rich vetiver - but what you smell in the dry down is the woody vibe that still maintains the "nutty" texture that was established before. It is so brilliant! Although the sandalwood is not loud, it blends wonderfully with the vetiver - letting it breathe on your skin for hours with a nice subtle, smooth texture with a warm, radiant glow.

Some have described this as linear - but I believe it is a perfect display of balance and symmetry. This is an olfactory metaphor for the life of the plant and its glorious root - pulled out of the ground and rinsed off, lied out in the sun to dry out in a bushel and then the root separated from the plant - becoming a semi-hardened 'wood' full of precious essential oil. The vetiver in this bottle is of very high quality. The use of bergamot, coriander and sandalwood is done to perfection - letting the vetiver root shine and offering nice touches & nuances of flavor. It has confidence, poise, beauty and perfect harmony. There is never a moment during the wearing that anything feels unnatural or out-of-place...all the accords and subtleties merge into one another.

It is, if I may...a classic string quartet with a virtuoso violinist supported by a 2nd wonderful violinist to offer nice bright accents (bergamot), a mid-range viola that allows the harmony & sound to fill out and offers great ambiance (coriander) and finally, a cellist (sandalwood) who delivers the warm undertones and offers fantastic foundation. Most importantly, all follow the awe-inspiring lead player - who shines above all in the spotlight, and whose name is on the marquis... "Vetyver".

Near perfection. Outstanding. A truly wonderful, modern bottling of a timeless classic.

Bravo!

Grottola

Changed my mind on this one. It's a decent vetiver, but too vegetal and musty for me. Reminds me way too much of carrots. You may very well like Givenchy Vetyver, but my search for the perfect vetiver continues...

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

I have a dry root of vetiver here, and this one in the designer scents, is the aroma that comes closest to it. In short, excellent!

Grottola

One of the best vetiver fragrances I've ever had the pleasure of smelling.

The vintage Guerlain Vetiver, which was THE vetiver fragrance of its heyday, seemed to do everything right, but it had a dark austerity that could make it hard to love. Givenchy Vetyver, on the other hand, takes that simplicity but makes it less cold-hearted and more natural-smelling. Givenchy Vetyver is all about the vetiver roots; dirt and grass, with a strange carrot-like smell in there. It's a pretty linear fragrance, but it works like a charm and lasts a very long time. This one has shot to the top of the list of my favorite vetiver fragrances, right up there with Vetiver Pour Elle. If you want a vetiver fragrance, no matter what gender or age, look no further than Givenchy Vetyver. It's good stuff.

temmy85
temmy85

According to many positive reviews and notes, I blind buy this fragrance and I am very happy with it. It is a masterpiece. But, it has poor longevity and projection :-(

Buysblind
Buysblind

Givenchy Vetyver is an excellent vetiver fragrance with a solid, intelligent construction and nearly flawless development. From it's bright bergamot opening to it's earthy, nutty base, Vetyver is a great option for someone looking for a vetiver based scent that is not excessively dark and dirty or too clean, green, and soapy. Yet, at the same time, it is a little bit of each of these. It can be worn all year round, easily straddles the casual and formal, and has good projection and longevity. Vetyver is a multi-dimensional scent that remains interesting and dynamic throughout its duration.

One of my favorite vetiver fragrances, and definitely worth looking into.

Classic, simple, realiable, solid, endless, classy, mandatory! Together with Sycomore and Vetiver Extraordinaire one of the best ever. "Pur Excellance". Finally reissued!

No desctription needed!

Rating: 9.5/10

Dick Turpin Esq
Dick Turpin Esq

I'm afraid that this cologne was terrible on my skin's PH. having waited 4 months to track it down in London, when I finally tried it the vetiver was overpowered by coriander.

I enjoy Indian cuisine but this cologne had me reeking of Indian cooking ingredients, such was the pong from the Coriander! As for the bergamot - it was non existent and the sandal wood was too subtle to deal with the overload of coriander.

I shall stick to Comme des garcons vetiver 4 and for a while at least, shall be eating Italian!

michau
michau

Well, OdeKloyto said everything.
I just can't believe such minimalistic perfume was created back in 1959.

OdeKlotyo
OdeKlotyo

Simplicity is always best. Givenchy's Vetyver has to be the most elegant, straightforward and well-behaved vetiver-starred scent that I had the chance to smell (knowing that there are a lot unsmelled vetivers for me ahead). After this, I don't think I need to search for the one in a while.
It is linear, citrusy, fresh, yummy, rooty, nutty, woody, earthy. And very Givenchy.
Thank you to whoever had the idea to make this scent available again. On the other hand, such a shame that it is in limited distribution. I had to go to great lengths to be able to pick up a bottle of it.

cg
cg

excellent vetiver. found it in milano 2 months ago after 35 years when it was retired. good to have it back hoping it lasts in the market.

Les Parfums Mythiques - Vetiver by Givenchy 4.55 out of 5 based on 82 ratings and 17 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Givenchy Les Parfums Mythiques - Vetiver fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Givenchy Les Parfums Mythiques - Vetiver, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Les Parfums Mythiques - Vetiver by Givenchy. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Les Parfums Mythiques - Vetiver by Givenchy represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.