Designers » F-H » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

Monsieur de Givenchy Givenchy for men

Monsieur de Givenchy Givenchy for men
dislike

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy is a Citrus Aromatic fragrance for men. Monsieur de Givenchy was launched in 1959. Top notes are carnation, cinnamon, pepper and lemon; middle notes are lavender and lemon verbena; base notes are sandalwood, musk and oakmoss.

Carnation Cinnamon Pepper Lemon

Lavender Lemon Verbena

Sandalwood Musk Oakmoss

Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy

Monsieur de Givenchy Fragrance Reviews

randy koehler
randy koehler

@b701gk

Test out Chanel egoiste :) :)

b701gk
b701gk

I love this scent so much. My great-uncle used to wear it, and when he died, and my parents asked me if there was anything of his I wanted to have, I asked for the bottle of his perfume and got it.

The Parfums Mythiques reformulation smells completely synthetic and has none of the magic of the original.

I bought a very expensive bottle of the original on ebay a couple of weeks ago, and was not disappointed. Still, there is something very little missing. It goes away very quickly, and smells just the tiniest bit slight. I wish it had an ever so slight powdery aspect to it. Or some amber. Or some more cedar. I don't know. Would love to have an organ of ingredients and be able to fiddle around with them.

But I have to believe there might be an even greater perfume out there. Is there?

For other lovers of this amazing perfume, could you please give a word of advice to someone new to this community:

Which other perfumes communicate that total high class and elegance and still friendliness? Whether discontinued or not?

It rarely happens that there is a scent that has a lot of manly character but still doesn't alienate anyone.

Perfumes I love and consider perfect are:

Armani Prive - Bois d'Encens
Comme des Garcons - 2 Man (very similar to Bois d'Encens)
Penhaligon's - Iris Prima
Monsieur de Givenchy - only the original one with oakmoss etc.

other great scent experiences have included, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Pomme d'Ambre (these are little amber blocks you put in a wooden box as a room scent. But it is AMAZING and transporting)

I know these are all unrelated, but they are also scents that have transported me without being too personal, too idiosyncratic. Everyone would agree they are great. And they don't have that crazy note of urine that so many perfumes have (still don't know why) or that animalistic side that just isn't appropriate in every situation.

Please advise what else I should be trying and looking out for.

Many thanks,

GK

shreif
shreif

I just bouhgt a perfume today in a green box it's name is Monsieur 2 Givenchy !!! and I don't find any information about it except it's price is 135 $ on amazon and 250 on other sites for 100 ml bottle but i buy it only for 30$ from perfume store ... is there any relation between it and Monsieur de Givenchy ??? blease feedback about this matter .
any way the perfume I bought is smell similar to Dolce & Gabbana pour homme in more aquatic and fresher way

döfä91
döfä91

It's a very rare occasion i can say that i love a frag but this one i do. A classic, a masterpiece.

cytherian
cytherian

I bought this blind, getting a slightly vintage spray bottle in 100ml size. I'm not sure when it was made, but it predates the latest bottle design.

This starts out with a fresh and clean citrus accompanied by some floral notes (like carnation). Into the dry down, it gets a bit peppery. Lemon pepper. I don't really get sandalwood but I do get some oakmoss and maybe some musk, and definitely lavender as the drydown progresses.

Sillage is fairly close once the dry down gets some aging. Longevity is OK, better than most modern day citrus focused fragrances. This is definitely quite suitable for the warmer months, but it could even go as an office fragrance year round.

Someone said this is somewhere between Chanel Pour Monsieur and Dior Eau Sauvage. Well, I don't have the latter, but I'm getting an idea of what it would be like. I was on the hunt for a vintage Eau Sauvage, but I think I'll rest now. I quite like this. :-)

Plamka
Plamka

i wish i could smell this, i read Freddie Mercury wore it.

fuggerone
fuggerone

WARNING STRICTLY REVIEWING VINTAGE VERSION...refined masculine fragrance..modest sillage and a real retro feelinG
shares the same vibe of Capucci 1967 or YSL PH 1971 and to a certain extent to Loewe PH vintage, a scent for grown ups masculine types well over their 30's, so teen ago party goer you've been warned, this scent is actually the opposite of the fad of the moment aka Onemillionkilotonsspicebombs

lavaman
lavaman

Monsieur de Givenchy is one of my all time favorites they made a stronger long lasting version of this scent in the late 1980s I beleive. Clean elegance it is impossible to go wrong with this fregrance. The addition of oak moss seems to blend many fragrances very well I feel

missan
missan

A very traditional aromatic, like YSL PH, vintage rochas pour monsieur. It doesn´t get much better than this.
vintage 9/10

SnowStorm
SnowStorm

I've been on the forums now for a short while and am learning all kinds of things about scents and frags. This one was fun to pick up due to the history. I like having a timeless fragrance in the collection from the 1950's. Reminds me of a lighter version of Armani Eau Pour Homme. They share a lot of ingredients in common. The MdG is a bit lighter overall.

I have the tall frosted bottle with the angular cap. Don't care for it. I realize that companies are trying to stand out on their own with the packaging, but I really just like many of the more simple/plain bottle designs. This does not detract from the quality of the juice and I enjoy this one.

ericrico has the best description on this frag. He has very elloquently expressed the feelings this cologne inspires.

williamvargas
williamvargas

it may be dated, but what a nice fragrance.the citrus with that sweet dry down, very very elegant...a pleasing clean masculine scent. just picked up a 30 mil splash bottle and was very impressed with just the presence of scent, people use the term timeless..and this truly represents that. promply put this into a nice atomizer..takes a few sprays..but like this one. i could see how this could be a signature scent of someone noteable.
very classy scent, seems to be one that you can generously apply and not overwhelm people., the scent is very pleasing and very manly...take a whiff..

ericrico
ericrico

A classic - to some dated, to those who can appreciate, timeless. An incredible work of classic, masculine fragrance with wonderful blended essence of superb quality ingredients! I am referring to Vintage Eau de Toilette. It is a landmark scent and, while reserved, a quintessential creation in 1959. Chanel Pour Monsieur came just four years before in 1955. It was the "benchmark" - Hubert de Givenchy created his own wonderful bottle that expresses balance, class, and a true gentlemanly vibe. You must be a fan of French-styled fragrance to appreciate this fully. It is of sheer quality - the notes have superb depth for an Aromatic Citrus (Chypre), but it is never loud or intrusive. For Vintage EdT, I have a tremendous amount of respect and enjoy each wearing. Nice attire is mandatory. Original Vintage EdT is simply outstanding. No rating, just pure admiration...

I was able to acquire a pristine, Vintage, 100ml bottle of the Monsieur de Givenchy in Super Concentrate ("Haute Concentree") formulation as well. This is really nice. Shamus1 gives a great review - sharing both feel and a better classification, a "citrusy chypre". In the Super Concentrate formula, there is a rich base of moss and a nice touch of civet with smooth, elegant sandalwood - but not overdone. This wears like a classic watch...it is dependable, shows sophistication and will definitely tell others around you that you have a style all to yourself. Not a fragrance for the mainstream - and I never have been part of that. Since a young age, I've enjoyed classic scents. This is extremely good and I appreciate every nuance. Different than the standard concentration EdT, but actually wonderful in a blended wearing (not directly applied on top of one another - just a couple of sprays on my forearms of this while wearing the Vintage, Original formulation and it is mesmerizing). Worn separately, different vibes - as well as together.

It is not loud, but it is very distinct. One spray on the back of my hand from about 2 inches away. Where it sprayed heavy, there is more focused scent (and deeper moss, musk and more sharp citrus & herbs)...where it "misted", the note separation is wonderful. This is very good to discover. Excellent to note as I will apply this (in a full wearing) at least 6-8 inches away for a couple of shots and then a focus shot on my wrists. This is, traditionally, a spring/summer scent. However, the "Super Concentrate" formula is definitely a year-round fragrance. It is laden with moss and depth of herbs. The top notes are there and very rich, but the depth of the base notes (moss, musk and a very nice and traditional gentleman's sandalwood) are what allow this scent to last. I actually see this being wonderful on cooler spring/fall days - and even wet weather (but not too cold). The subtleties would be lost - like the beautiful lemon verbena, slightly pungent carnation-clove, fragrant (but slightly bitter) sage, fresh masculine lavender and touch of pepper (and the dash of civet is notable). The entire composition exudes confidence and what a European gentleman is all about - with an aire of sophistication. Proper attire and confidence required. It does wear close to the skin, but in warm weather - this breathes on your skin and has very nice presence.

Intelligent, reserved, and refined masculine fragrance that shows wonderfully. There is a time and place where MdG would be perfect...I can think of many. Relaxing on a weekend (or dressing up in proper attire on a weekday), reading a novel (not a book), watching a classic movie (black & white, foreign, arthouse), listening to live jazz in an upscale bistro...

**Update** - Bought last formulation in squat 100ml spray bottle prior to Les Parfums Mythiques release. It is a tester, with the description written on the back: "WOODY CITRUS: Freshness of Lemon and Bergamot, elegance of Lavender and Sandal wood." A brief, but perfect description - a distinguished scent for a gentleman. With sandalwood becoming a more precious commodity, we see houses going to other ingredients...in Monsieur de Givenchy, Les Parfums Mythiques has gone to Hinoki Wood. I wanted to get the older, last bottling of the very close to Vintage formula - and I am very happy I did.

A scent for those who understand that less is more, elegance and taste has been refined and that scent is part of your "wardrobe" or attire. Understated and one of the best Citrus Aromatic scents ever created in an excellent composition. This is not as loud as another great citrus aromatic/woody/chypre scent, YSL Pour Homme nor is it as herbal as Eau Sauvage. A composition of purity and refinement...in all of its formulations and concentrations.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

This is classic sophistication with muted notes and a heady citron and sandalwood presence. It lasts forever and that is a very good thing. Givenchy fragrances for men are distinctive and this beauty started it all. It may have been created in 1959 but it is a timeless scent. Recommended for any occasion.

walterego
walterego

For eight years I had been deprived of my sense of smell due to sinuous infection. I would smell by opening my mouth and like a snake sensing the air with the blade of my tongue. Then entering my sixteenth year I recovered. But having been dispossessed of my olfactory sense for so long when my sense of smell returned to me, it came back with a staggering intensity. All odours manifold stronger than before, I was disturbed at the very hint of scent and smell became a problem. I shunned Eau de Colognes they were all too overpowering, until a day when I in passing came across Monsieur de Givenchy, it was the first aftershave I was able to use. Today all my Eau de Colognes are insubstantial in character as though, they are not really there. They serve a purpose for each has a state attached to it, they are bottled moods. Each having been used over time for particular situations, they attune one; and have become synonymous with a situation. Thereby automatically setting one into the right state of mind merely through their fragrance changing the private sphere that is ones world. None more so than Monsieur de Givenchy. This transparent sea blue liquid; produced in 1959 have a fingerprint smell that has always reminded me of the Mediterranean, ex-girlfriends, beaches, sunshine and blue ocean. When it became increasingly difficult to obtain in the perfumeries, it was as if some states of being; no longer was available to me. I had lost a part of what I identify with myself and had become unable to conjure forth the memories connected with its scent. It is for this reason; of uttermost importance, when first applying a new Eau de Cologne; that one is happy, energetic and preferably located in a place which one would like to remember, for the memory; will stay with you, for as long; as it’s available in the shops.

Grottola
Grottola

Monsieur de Givenchy is basically a cross between Chanel Pour Monsieur and Eau Sauvage, but it does what it does right and smells timeless and classy. Lasts a good while, too.

Luckily the Mythic version didn't really f*ck anything up - it just made the fragrance last a little longer, which is OK with me! :)

A reformulation of this classic babrershop-masculine fragrance a-là Chanel Pour Monsieur. The apotheosis of old-fashioned discreet elegance. Mannered but not affected. To be absolutely avoided if you don't like the genre. I do.

Long story made short: to fully understand where we are now, we have to know where we came from! (I think I've already heard this one)!

Vanartus
Vanartus

love it bought it 1973 - my scent me myself i

Castor
Castor

As in the case of Eau Sauvage, this is a reinterpretation of classical eaux de colognes. A classic fragrance in its structure and subtlety.

There are some notes in common with YSL pour Homme, but this doesn't have the classic construction so characteristic of Monsieur de Givenchy, maybe due to the presence of more pungent vervaine notes.

shamus1
shamus1

Imagine mixing Chanel Pour Monsieur with Cologne 4711 and just a hint of pepper, and you have MdG: a timeless classic. Just about everything about it is perfect: just the right amount of citrus to make it refreshing, just the right amount of chypre-like bitterness to give it an edge, and just the right amount of concentration to produce good sillage without blowing people out of the room. MdG is so classic and elegant, it could anyone seem like Cary Grant. If I were to give this a label, I'd have to call it a citrusy chypre. I hope Givenchy makes this forever.

jjjhein
jjjhein

For nearly fifty years this has been one of my favorites and suitable for all occassions and climates. Unfortunately, it is now hard to find in American stores.

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy 4.43 out of 5 based on 130 ratings and 20 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.