Designers » F-H » Chypre Floral « Groups

dislike

I have it: 729 I had it: 794 I want it: 282 My signature: 24

yellow floral
Ysatis Givenchy for women Videos
Ysatis Givenchy for women Pictures Ysatis Givenchy for women Pictures Ysatis Givenchy for women Pictures Ysatis Givenchy for women Pictures

Magical floral fragrance. Ysatis woman is smart, emotional and distinct. Elegant bottle matches the opulent fragrance that smells like luxury. The top notes are citrus, ylang-ylang, galbanum, coconut, rose wood, and aldehydes. The heart notes are jasmine, rose, iris, tuberose and narcissus. The base notes are musk, amber, vanilla, vetiver, patchouli, sandal wood and civet. The fragrance was created by Dominique Ropion in 1984.

Aldehydes Orange Blossom Coconut Citruses Mandarin Orange Galbanum Ylang-Ylang Bergamot Brazilian Rosewood

Jasmine Rose iris Rum Tuberose Carnation Narcissus

Honey Sandalwood Amber Patchouli Laurels Musk Civet Vanilla Cloves Oakmoss Vetiver

Encore
24 Faubourg

Ysatis Fragrance Reviews

sammyjo
sammyjo

Now and then I visit the small town where I grew up and it's peacefulness is literally a breath of fresh air. But as a teenager in the 80's I couldn't stand it. There was no excitement and nothing to do aside from having a keg party in the woods. I had big ideas and even bigger plans and this unsophisticated, narrow minded town wasn't going to fence me in. At 15 I scraped my birthday money together and bought a subscription to Vogue, a David Bowie tape ( The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust...) and a bottle of Ysatis. That's when the real trouble began and where this scent takes me to.

elebaci
elebaci

One of my favourite scents! I generally prefer sweet perfumes like Hypnose, Coco Mademoiselle, J'adore... but this fragrance is stunning! I know just the modern version but I can tell it's wonderful! Too bad there are few shops in Milan where I can still find it!

jtd
jtd

Givenchy Ysatis (1984) gives me some new thoughts on scent and memory. It comes from an era when I rarely wore perfume, and didn't pay attention to the state-of-the-art at all.  Still, I remembered it instantly when I found a perfectly preserved vintage specimen recently.

Ysatis is more nuanced than Dior Poison, less car-alarmish than Givenchy Amarige, less cartoonish than Boucheron by Boucheron. There's no doubt it's cut from the same cloth, though. It's a classic 80s signature fragrance.  In the 80s, an era noted for valuing assimilation and aspiration, a signature fragrance wasn't one that made you stand apart, it was one that loudly signaled your inclusion with a group, or affiliation with a type. No one of these fragrances was fatal, but together, they were nightmarish. (note: At this time I lived in New York City, a city of public transportation and confined spaces.) They made me appreciate the ridiculous slogan of the era: Just Say No.

So, memory.  I remember associating this perfume with the go-go sensibility of the 80s. It was a time of gross misproportion, of ill-judged dynamics.  The perfume and fashion of the era might have been set-dressing, but their were indicative, and Ysatis demonstrates the inappropriateness.

Example:  shoulder pads aren't my style, but I can understand their use in suits jackets dresses. In the 80s, shoulder pads were used in short sleeve T-shirts. Imagine a T-shirt so poorly fitted that the bulk of the voluminous fabric hanging about your waist must be tucked into your high waisted jeans. Slapping some packaging material into the shoulders of this T-shirt does nothing to mitigate its inattention to the human form. In fact, it highlights it. The person who wore this T-shirt/jeans combination wore Poison in elevators. Wore Cacharel Lulu to brunch.  Wore clouds of YSL Paris on the RR. Wore Amarige to the gym. You get the picture.

Ysatis shares the era's sin of volume, but it utterly typifies another great miscalculation of the time, which is the overuse of formality.  The market of smart sportswear had yet to be unearthed in the 1980s. The choice was often torn Levi's or a hideous dress, and the hideous dress usually won. A variation of an old bromide was reinvented for the 1980s: If it things worth doing it's worth doing... with ruffles, with chintz, with gris gris, with cheap adornment.  "Jewelry" was stated,"costume" was implied.

Seen from later eras, Ysatis could be considered tasteful version of the big 80s perfumes. But what is the value of a slightly more tasteful monster?  It’s like someone kicking you hard in the balls, but not as hard as he could have. Dominique Ropion is a master of the highly calibrated floral perfume. But for current use, Ysatis lacks the camp of Opium, Poison, Giorgio. They are dated and caricaturish, but they’re fun.  Ysatis, Ropion's tailored monster, is so busy sucking in her cheeks and posing she doesn't crack a smile.

emmy.johnson.72
emmy.johnson.72

I love this perfume, I had it when I was 18 and I felt very sophisicated when I wore it. I still love it.
Now I have worn it for half an hour, I get a scent with is like burned vanilla toffee, with iris and citrus mixed in. Spicy, sweet but not too sweet, citrus tones. A great scent for the evening.

Maenad1
Maenad1

Ysatis has been reformulated, but the reformulated version isn't that bad. It's just somewhat watered-down from the original, with much of the chypre/animalic notes removed, and less strength/lasting power. The original fragrance has much more depth and character, and is a better fragrance, but if all you can find is the reformulated version, you've still got a good perfume. You can tell the difference in this way: the original version comes in a black box with a gold cap; the reformulated version comes in a purple box with a clear cap. The original version is still widely available, and not that expensive -- I recently bought a bottle for $24 on eBay.

Here is my review of the original formula Ysatis:

In my opinion, this is one of the great perfumes, one that ranks right up there with classics such as Chanel No. 5, Shalimar and Opium. It's unique and there's nothing else quite like it.

Created by master perfumer Dominique Ropion and launched by Givenchy in 1984, Ysatis is a kaleidoscope of scent. Somehow, it manages to be: floral, oriental, chypre, green, soapy, musky, classy and "clean" all at the same time. I don't know any other fragrance that has that ability. The only categories it really doesn't overlap are spicy and gourmand. It is probably best described as a powerful floral-oriental.

Ysatis starts out with a strong blast of florals and green notes, heavy on the ylang ylang. As it dries down, the other notes assert themselves, and the oakmoss and amber keep everything grounded. But it does not change dramatically as it dries down, other than becoming a bit smoother. It's one of those fragrances where the notes are all so well blended, it's hard to pick them out individually. The ylang ylang, to me, is the strongest and most identifiable note in this fragrance.

Here is the only negative thing about Ysatis (although this could be a positive, depending on what you are looking for in a perfume): it is a strong, bold fragrance. It's "perfumey," for those who use that term to describe an assertive fragrance that cannot be considered subtle or a skin scent. You want to be careful not to overapply this fragrance, because it does not fade quickly. But that's also part of its charm -- it's not weak or insipid, and it has good lasting power. Applied lightly, Ysatis has a beautiful sillage that will leave a scent trail and inspire strangers to ask you what you are wearing, or what smells so good.

It's a great fragrance to wear for an elegant night out, or even to the office (if applied very lightly). It shines most brightly when you dress it up and take it out, and it will get you noticed.

lalondem
lalondem

Still a great perfume! A beautiful aldehyde. I had this in the mid 80's and loved it then. Just last week got some from a perfume internet site and still smells great. I was smelling a blouse that I wore a couple days before and it smelled better than on my skin. The aldehyde blast had worn off and now I was smelling the sweet mandarin and orange blossom. I can't say I love aldehydes. I find them overwhelming and slightly putrid and chemical - as in Van Cleef and Arpels "First" which I also have. Many of the same ingredients are in Ysatis that are in First, but Ysatis smells so much fresher. The aldehyde part wears off much quicker and is not as strong. Something rich and beautiful about this Ysatis. Wear this one with pride knowing you have good taste!

tiffingirl
tiffingirl

Gorgeous in the vintage version,I haven't tried the reformulation. Can anyone comment on the difference? Reminds me of the grand style of perfumery characteristic of the 1980's ... definitely reminiscent of 24 Faubourg!

PLUMPIE

Unfortunately this has been subject to bad reformulation and is now quite overly strong and green smelling without the beautiful coconutty ylang-ylang powdery base. Buy the vintage and only the vintage! I had my partner buy me a modern bottle with the clear cap but it is only a shadow of what this scent smells like - give me an old bottle any day (also true of Givenchy's Organza, Indecence, Hot Couture and Amarige) needs to age a bit to ripen, but the gold cap version is the only way to go. A lot of the notes are very similar to Escada Margaretha ley which is another fave in my collection, but they smell worlds apart in reality. I am surprised about rum being a note, however funnily enough when I sniff a freshly opened bottle of Appletons estate I do detect a tiny whiff of ysatis so that might explain something. Similar in style to the original Valentino but again there are many differences. There is also something about this scent that reminds me of Poeme but this is very different and much drier and less syrupy and overall more wearable for me. A real classic a must for honey, yellow floral, ylang-ylang lovers who enjoy crisp floral-orientals with natural fruits for sweetness without all the confection and sugarbombs of today's perfumes and want to stand out for the right reasons. Like others have mentioned this is one of the 80's big scents which has stood the test of time and unlike my loves such as Chloe or Giorgio it is wearable in an office setting (used sparingly of course) and is the only 80's scent my partner likes and can tolerate on me.

zzMaja
zzMaja

This was one of my favorites. My best friend wore it about 1984 and I loved it. I tried and was able to wear it also. I wore it in the evening and sometimes during the day on weekends for special occasions. It made me feel sophisticated, confident, and yet sensuous and feminine. I do not recall all the notes, but would definitely use it again if they have not changed the original.

reborn
reborn

I love it so much ,but when hours pass it began to smell very fecal on me.I am serious..it begins to smell like public toilet 100%.I am mad.,because till the toilet smell it smells great
It is not that loud on me.I `ve had louder fragrances.It is warm and elegant ,but i wish i didnt smell like fecals

SofiaAmbrosia
SofiaAmbrosia

Ysatis by Givenchy: this is one of the sexiest perfumes ever created!

Velvet_Touch
Velvet_Touch

This one has a high rank on my list, is a warm, floral perfume that is incredible elegant and perfect for a night out! I have placed my order, it is 42% off on Strawberrynet. I also love the bottle's design!

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

My review is based on a fragrance memory from 1997. Ysatis is one of those fragrances that is undeniably French. It is a beautiful composition I can only describe as a warm but sharp woodsy floral that is feminine but assertive.

In my mind, this would belong to a no-nonsense woman that won't indulge men in their fantasies but instead, takes the lead and directs the show to what SHE wants. She may use simple and sweet feminine wiles or be the dragonlady who lures men into her world of fiery passion.

I will say that this is a terribly picky fragrance and wouldn't recommend it as a blind buy AT ALL. This kind of fragrance is an acquired taste and isn't one size fits all. It definitely packs a punch so if you are the type that prefers subtle and sweet, I would turn back now. This Dragonlady takes center stage.

pamc
pamc

Hands down one of the most lovely fragrances ever made.
It is warm, floral, fresh, never ever get tired of wearing it. Seems to get better on as the day goes by, does not fade and is absolutley beautiful. YOU MUST TRY.

shirlis
shirlis

Saddened that they have changed the formula for this wonderful perfume but the original notes are still clearly there. The big opening hit has been reduced, as has the longevity but the warmth and classiness of the fragrance remains. When my perfume arrived I sprayed it in the office and people were asking what the wonderful smell was - even the harder to please liked it. The complexity of the notes still leaves a feel good factor and I can't stop sniffing my damn wrist - welcome back Ysatis - now I know I've missed you.....

Marilia -Mariliaki
Marilia -Mariliaki

Givenchy Ysatis is little bit loud for me because i'm 25-...but for my mommy is perfect..she loves this perfume many years now she bought it since 1991...Εven before i was born...:D

id
id

I like it, it is loud, quite sweet chypre with aldehydes and civet with good longevity and beautiful sillage. But still I can't find an occasion to wear it. Be cautious not to over apply, and it may induce headache for some people.

gallian
gallian

This fragrance is rich, lively and elegant. I do not know what that means old or young here. There are only good fragrances or fragrances not so good. And this is very good.
There are cheap perfumes and precious perfumes. And this is very valuable.
I recommend the Vintage Ysatis formula, because it is worthy of the quality of Amouage perfume. Superb! The reformulation is still very nice. If you want to smell like Kings and Queens, like a star in the sky, and not as a jar of jam... WELL, try Ysatis! BUT, this perfume is only for refined palates (remember this).

Kione
Kione

Beepert, I feel very much the same about civet and didn't dare to say anything! I work visiting old people's residential homes and when I smell civet it reminds me of when the bedsheets have been changed after an "accident" and is mixed with the cleaning products and clean loundry. Having said that I very very strongly smelled that when I sprayed Ysatis at the store today, but after a few minutes it settled down and thankfully the flowers took over. It became creamy and a lot more tolerable even likeable to my nose.
So I can't decide on this one after the first terrifying shock, I think I like it!!

SuzanneEnnazus1
SuzanneEnnazus1

I don't know why I haven't bought this, as every time I try it on I have an immediate positive feeling. It's like oranges, but not sharp. Like sweet opranges, but I'm unsure what else is in it. If it's oriental then it's very light oriental, and I didn't pick up coconut, so if that's in it as others have mentioned then it's very light.

deeanna
deeanna

Sorry, this one is one I dislike the most. I only can smell nothing else than a strong prickly hairspray.

sauko
sauko

very similar to the Passion of Elizabeth Taylor.

Atreyu_Crimmins
Atreyu_Crimmins

Ysatis conjures up something exotic and otherworldly. Considered the first oriental chypre, Ysatis is a pleasure to pronounce ('eee-saht-ees') and an even greater pleasure to wear.

I have to say that Ysatis surprises me like no other fragrance. The top notes are lovely; I can detect aldehydes, ylang-ylang, rose and coconut. I’m not sure anything exciting can be said about a coconut, except that it cuts through the crisp aldehydic opening and makes things a little more nutty, creamy and interesting.

Thirty minutes later, metamorphosis!

I can smell jasmine, musk, honey, vetiver, civet, patchouli. Truly ravishing stuff that elevates Ysatis from a classy fruity floral to something sumptuous, exclusive and unforgettable.

lollsazz
lollsazz

I'm not sure if I have the older new version of this or not, but I have it in a gift set from 2001. I haven't gotten to test it out a lot yet, but this reminds me a little of Chanel no 5. The big difference is that Ysatis is MUCH stronger and no 5 stays quite linear for the whole time, while this has the top notes of no 5, the drydown is more vanilla-rum. I quite enjoy this - it's a little dusty, a little soapy, antique-smelling, but to me it's pleasant :) I like older Givenchy perfumes - they are not very sweet, and are often sweetened in a different way than many of the newer perfumes (in generaL, not Givenchy specifically).

mymlan
mymlan

Vintage Ysatis is such a lovley skank bomb today that I don't have the courage to wear it in broad daylight. Back in the days it was considered a loud but pretty floral. But those were the days when La Nuit and Montanas Parfum de Peau were the perfumes that women usually wore at night ;).

twj47
twj47

In your face, gorgeous!... I've forsaken in for Ortigia Ambra Nera, but I still love it and wear it from time to time - always have people ask me what it is and how lovely.

NMWS76
NMWS76

It's interesting how many I've talked to about Ysatis in recent years associate this fragrance with classy, mature women. Back in the 80s when I was a tweenager, as we say today, every teenage girl owned Ysatis and I used to "borrow" a few spritzes. My body chemistry likes fragrances like Dior's Dolce Vita, Lancome Hypnose and Calvin Klein Forbidden Euphoria but if it's been reformulated, I don't even want to test it because I don't want my memory messed with!

MzScents8ional
MzScents8ional

Bought mine in the late eighties. A Bea-u-tiful fragrance! Pretty pretty! Loved it Loved it!

Yourfoxiness

Today I will only do a quick comparison of modern edt VS old edt & old parfum. Yes, indeed the drydown isn't as rich as the vintage forumula, however I still find it a wonderful fragrance. Soapier, I smell more narcissus, LOTV, jasmine, & aldehydes. The vintage has the deeper base of moss, civet & its more dense. The verdict: modern is still better than many common frags, and when layered is divine! Very "big" perfume and luxurious!

Received my vintage bottle today, and I'm in heaven! Fans of this genre should pick up a modern (or vintage if you can), before they discontinue this dazzling diva in favor of more sugar! (Please, let's hope not!)
I was a bit afraid of how people were going to react to this bombshell worn outside the house, and I have to say I'm very pleased with the results.

Thank you KARMES!

Yamba1
Yamba1

I first wore this in 1988 and like many of my now treasured classics, during the 90's and naughties, this was passed over in favour of the watery, insipid aquatics of the day.

I came across a nearly empty vintage gold top bottle recently with a few glorious mls remaining. This is a sumptuous, rich and heady floral that demands attention. Yes, that was the 80s and perfumes of this genre consequently got a bad wrap once the big florals were no longer in fashion. But like any art form, a masterpiece will always be a masterpiece so long as you can appreciate what it is.
This is an explosion of white and yellow honeyed flowers, tempered by coconut, civet, oakmoss and woods. The result is a feminine, romantic and truly memorable perfume that should be tried by any perfumista.
Bypass the current formulation, go for gold!

varykino
varykino

My first two serious fragrances, back in the mid-80's, were Ysatis and L'Air Du Temps. I'd gathered that the reformulations aren't that wonderful and had put off trying them in their newer versions, but I recently caved and tried them both.

L'Air Du Temps is recognisably still L'Air Du Temps, but thinner, weaker, quietly lacklustre. I used to feel after spraying it on as though I were walking in my own sparkling, intoxicating cloud of gold dust — well, all the gold dust has been shook off and the magic is gone, gone, gone.

Ysatis is simply no longer itself. I recognised nothing of the opulent, honeyed, deeply sexy chypre that used to garner me more spontaneous compliments than any other scent I've ever worn. I was only grateful that I'd tried it on a sample card first so I could forget about it at once.

I'm not quite sure which is worse. Granted, I loved the old versions of both too much to be able to judge the reformulations on their own merit. Moving on.

elsie.oliveros
elsie.oliveros

I totally agree with the past comments that mention that the new Ysatis (in the purple box) can't even compare to the original (black box, gold top).

paulie86
paulie86

What was I thinking dousing myself in this then going out or off to work lol! I always felt that Ysatis never lasted on my skin so I packed it away and forgot that I had it until today, I just spritzed a little bit on after wearing lighter fragrances all summer and wow! this is I am woman hear me roar lol.

Ysatis is an extremely feminine perfume it's a creamy, sweet, perfumey floral scent along the lines of white diamonds but a million times better. I can smell the coconut and the lush florals over a feminine musk with a hint of aldehyde peeking out of the background which lends it's sharpness to cut through the sweetness. You can definitely tell that this is a Givenchy perfume because it has that signature feminine sweet musky undertone. As it dries down Ysatis gets a little powdery and clean like laundry fresh out of the dryer. Ysatis is extremely elegant you can dress it up or down I wore it to work as well as out to dinner parties or gatherings with friends. Mine is the newer version in the purple box with the skyscraper shaped art deco bottle. I wasn't really a fan of it at first but I think it's one of the perfumes that you need to spray then let it sit and age in its box in a dark cool area to make the scent really develop.

Now a year later what started as a mish mash of screechy notes has now become deep and rich but light and clean at the same time it's a little heady but elegant and sophisticated. I love this as well as most Givenchy perfumes they're close to my heart so to speak lol I think everyone should try this 80's masterpiece at least once you might like it.

Cairo Rose
Cairo Rose

I am not usually a white/yellow floral fan but this is lovely. I dabbed on just a bit of vintage juice and waited. The first few minutes I was unsure but then this bloomed into something wonderful. The floral notes and civet are held in place and kept from overpowering by the other well blended notes. The rosewood and sandalwood come out gently with a touch of powder. Simply a masterpiece when applied with a light hand.

juanamartula
juanamartula

why, oh why, it´s sooooo strong. its not my cup of tea.

cyprusmum
cyprusmum

Generally love Givenchy frags. This one in the 90s used to give me a headache, but I desperately wanted to love it. It was very popular then, and you didn't need a town crier to announce your arrival!
Would not attempt to wear it now.

Yourfoxiness

Absolute stunner! I'm reviewing a layering of the vintage Parfum & EDT concentrations. For the first few moments, ylang ylang is almost all I smell! I normally avoid fragrances with a heavy dollop of this flower, but here paired with civet, narcissus, & a beautifully tuned orchestra to back it up, she sings! It almost causes a direct influence on my mood every time I smell it. I catch myself saying "mmm" when I sniff. The sillage is enormous. These rich flowers & green galabdanum, shining as always for me are lifted by aldehydes, and it stays very bright & brilliant for hours. Indeed, to my synesthesiatic nose I smell all the colors of the rainbow! Ysatis will pull an all nighter with you, and its a bit difficult to sort out individual notes in this impressive lineup. It stuns me that there is coconut, and carnation in here, they're present, but just to add dimension. Buttery, golden, heavy, but not too much so, I'd still advise applying with a lighter hand. I am POSITIVE I've been subjected to a massive overdose of this a few times by ladies who are trigger happy on this wonderful juice. It will in fact give a headache if overdone! Phew! I'm very happy to have found a ylang ylang perfume that I really enjoy. Is this scent for work, no, for delicate wallflowers, no definitely not. But for getting noticed, and just enjoying a cloud of divinely "high perfume" as I would call it. Ysatis is a work of art! There is no pretense here at a "natural clean or forest smell" no paltry attempt at placating the masses with "soft vanilla" no, it's just a loud, perfectly tuned show stealer! Ysatis is, the tall, gorgeous, voluptuous woman who has it all naturally. You don't understand how she does it, and she can be too much for some mere mortals to take! But I love this loud, sexy beast! I think we can hang for a while. Fb worthy, definitely. I had to have it. Ah, the heart here is just intoxicating.. Resinous, woody, warm, jasmine, ylang ylang still strong, now were moving toward chypre territory! So sparkling, rich & resounding.. Like acoustics in an opera hall, hosting the trilling laugh of a lady you're obsessed with. That feeling where your heart could just almost burst with admiration while you watch her.. And a profound sense of longing... Ysatis is a VERY satisfying big fragrance, but still leaves me with a feeling of longing, or wanting more. This perfume is obsession worthy.

tourmali45
tourmali45

Tried it today at Shoppers after looking at the notes and deciding I might like/love it. And I actually do. Like it. Starting from the middle stage to the drydown. Beginning was screechy and rushed, but after 20 minutes it's wonderful! Having no experience in cleaning men's toilets as some reviewer mentioned, I love civet note - for me it grounds the flowers, gives them weight and substance. Honey, daffodil, carnation with spices (laurel and cloves are very noticeable) and a rummy note - what not to love? Elegant, mature scent fit for a more dressy-uppy occasion, not jeans and loafers.

BikiniBabe
BikiniBabe

Oh wow... now this was a powerful perfume! Not only did it have so many notes... but if felt like an olfactory symphony as it revealed its layers one by one.

It was wayyyyy 2 strong for me, given that i wore in my teens. I wanted to be so much like my mom - a strong, elegant business woman. But on me, well... it just smelled out of place. LOL

I have learned my lesson - Chypre Floral never ever smells good on me. My skin turns it stinky =( Sorry!

Beepert
Beepert

This is the fragrance which revealed to me my loathing of civet. It was only after I picked apart the notes of this one that I discovered that all my most hated fragrances - Givenchy Gentleman, Shalimar, Joy, and now Ysatis - have this note in common. So in a way, it's been helpful to me.
If you've ever cleaned public toilets - like me - then your nose will pick out the civet instantly, hone in on it, and not let it go. It is the smell of urine. I appreciate that the ingredient may give a certain depth or potency to floral scents, but to me it is just straight up men's toilets.
So unfortunately, Ysatis to me is the epitome of badly-kept public toilets - old urine with sickly air freshener sprayed over the top.

ETA: But I've just discovered a powerful love for Kouros!!! What is happening to me??

Iris_it
Iris_it

Old version Ysatis is a gorgeous fragrance , the new version is nothing to be compared with . I Have been gifted with the old Edt and it is great love ! Oakmoss is not prominent at all in this one like in other beautiful Chypre such as Eau du Soir . I appreciate so much well blended perfumes ! I also have the perfume concentration : it does not have the aldehydes blast ( this is far better , in my opinion !) although the initial blast of the EdT version does not last long anyway .

Do not buy the new one : hunt for the original elegant Ysatis !

truffles
truffles

This is one my Mum can happily wear but on me, as with a lot of frags, I find it beautiful at first but after a while the eugenol (carnation and maybe the ylangylang too) 'blooms' and the frag becomes intolerable for me.
I do think Ysatis is a beautiful creation though, with a lovely wistful quality to it.
ps. Yes! Just been looking thru the other reviews and I have to agree - when I smelled Ysatis again, it didn't seem to be the same as I remembered it being in the 1980's - so they changed it, hmm.
I noticed it with Estee Lauder Beautiful too - it was never one I liked (I had a friend who wore it and still wears it) but I can tell it's a completely different creature than the original, that which made it different is gone.
They've done it with lots of them - shame.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

I've been seeing this mentioned here and in fume blogs so I did smelling-spree at my local Shoppers (Canada). This is so reminiscent of the classic perfumes that my mom used to wear or keep sampling. Immediately, I smell ylang-ylang which I am beginning to understand is a favourite flower of mine besides jasmine and tuberose. With it is the aldehydes, which doesn't bother me as it does other people, and softened by honey. The strength of ylang-ylang is what keeps me coming back for more sniffs. It smells sharper on paper but beautiful and softer on my skin. After two hours, it smells similar to Jean Patou Joy's latrine note. If I bought this, I'd have to reapply to avoid that latrine period…consider that this only lasts about two hours then pfft. Before buying this, I would try it on skin a few more times to see if the scent develops better in a different season.

One spray on me,
Sillage: two feet
Longevity: two hours

jasmasid
jasmasid

The original Ysatis from the 1980s, (with the gold-coloured top) was an exquisite, unique scent that left a memorable trail minutes after you'd gone past a particular place. There was no other scent quite like it. The new Ysatis is a waste of space and smells like every other fragrance, i.e., a non-descript kind of watery iris with a sour undertone of some chemical reminiscent of oven-cleaner. Its only good point is that it vanishes in under an hour! I totally fail to see the point of this re-formulation. As a perfume house,Givenchy has gone down the drain...

katiesweetpea
katiesweetpea

I had this back in the 80's . Shopping in Hong Kong- every time I bought something from this one chemist ( drug store) or had my film developed, they would thrust a freebee onto me. I had 4 bottles of varying sizes. It was so spicy- oriental wonderful.

pedrogiriboni
pedrogiriboni

it smells like glamour. like dressing good. cool make up. winter. party. the boy you love is coming. i love it! some ppl say its an old ladies scent, but i disagree. i got it from a friend who didnt like it and i first was afraid of it but now i love it

Why change a winnig concept?? The new formula is blaah. The spirit of Ysatis is gone, the glow of Ysatis is gone, and the scent itself is gone within 2 hours. If you find vintage-version with the golden cap, try it. The see-thru glasscap is the new one - don't bother.

Varför ändra ett vinnande koncept?. Den nya formulan är blä. Själen av Ysatis är borta, Skimret av Ysatis är borta och doften är borta inom 2 timmar.. Om du hittar vintage-varianten med guldkorken så prova den. Flaskan med genomskinlig glaskork är den nya - inget att bry sig om.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

Ysatis - euphoric floral beauty that has many dimensions during the dry down phase. The more I wear this, the more I love it. Compliments galore! From the compliments, people love the way this smells on me. If you like complex scents that make a statement with great silage, this is the one to try.

I passed a jacket in my hall closet that still had Ysatis lingering near the sleeves and back of the garment, this fragrance is sheer HEAVEN! A slight bewitching, honey-ed incense smell which is alluring, and really draws me in!

--------------

Give this some time, it goes on STRONG... but has one of the best dry downs that I have found.

Ysatis goes on fairly strong- and for the first 15-30 minutes or so, this fragrance is almost overpowering and has a distinct aroma very similar to bathroom spray (this most probably is the strong explosion of aldehydes that you notice at the beginning, much more than when this settles). The initial blast of this is almost toxic and I can definitely see that if you stopped here (the first 30 minutes), - you may think that this is leaning in the zone of "Old Lady's Fragrance"... it is WAYYYY too STRONG in this phase!!! But a good tea takes some time to steep! Hang on... this goes deliciously GORGEOUS... just give it some time (30 minutes - AT LEAST)!!! (Note to myself: Spray yourself 30 minutes to an hour before leaving your home where this fragrance can ease into your body chemistry).

"Patience is certainly a virtue". However, the dry down is AMAZING. After the initial blast, about 30 minutes into it, as with any great fragrance, it is important to judge the fragrance on the merits of what it brings you throughout the entire span that it is worn, and not just the initial first 30 minute "BLAST"! If I were judging this perfume simply based on the first impressions and first 30 minutes of wear, I would probably have missed the euphoric floral beauty that is created during the dry down phase.

Body chemistry is the equivalent of "Location, Location, Location" in Real Estate. It is ALL that matters to finding the truly BEST Fragrance for yourself! This fragrance goes very sweet with my chemistry and then begins to literally caramelize into this deep rich broth of honey and deliciously sweet florals. Bingo... it definitely passes my "Body Chemistry Test" - with flying colors!

I wore this fragrance in the late 80's and early 90's and remember the constant compliments - so I'm revisiting it, based on some of the reviews on this site - as well as Fragrance.com. This was one of those fragrances that both men and women complimented me on in the late 80's through mid-90's and it seemed to be a fragrance that was perfect for socializing and could be worn as easily in the day or evening - and great for events that spanned day into evening. I wore this more in my mid 20's and 30's when I had a huge range of fragrances for my fragrance wardrobe collection... but went through a phase where I wanted to be a bit more "low key"... so stopped purchasing Ysatis and stuck with my signature fragrance "Beautiful"... (which is a completely different fragrance experience all together - from Ysatis).

Revisiting Ysatis: (I'm reviewing the GOLD CAP Variety of Ysatis...which I found on Fragrance.net. Some people say that the clear cap is the newer formulation which is the one that does NOT smell like the vintage variety).

[I've seen a number of reviews that complain that they have "changed the formula" of this product... but I ordered this fragrance from Fragrance.net - and it smells and wears EXACTLY as I remember it from before. If they altered this in ANY WAY... I have a nose that would be keenly aware of it. I don't detect a major - or minor change. It is still the same magical concoction as before!]

So far, I'm liking it... it is very sweet and fits a gap on the other side of one of my favorite perfumes, "Beautiful". After the initial dry down, Ysatis is a little bit sweeter and lighter than "Beautiful"... so I am planning to wear it during the summer when I am running errands or doing more casual things.

It is almost reminiscent of White Diamonds... by Elizabeth Taylor. They seem to have some of the same type of florals, but White Diamonds goes a lot more "bathroom spray" on me. WD is much more powdery than Ysatis with my personal body chemistry and is one of those that I don't feel wears well with my personal chemistry, but I've smelled WD on other women and it smells heavenly. There you go! Body chemistry is EVERYTHING when it comes to fragrance, find what truly works for YOU!!!

-----------------

The Morning After Test... (fragrance after it has been on the skin over 7 hours):

Ysatis is magical with my body chemistry, particularly after the first hour of wear. I smell a deeper note of honey and soft florals that has caramelized over the 7 hour time period. The first blast of "bathroom spray" is completely gone about 30 minutes to an hour into wearing Ysatis (the first chemical blast after you first spray Ysatis), then it gradually goes through different stages until reaching this final honey caramel cream phase, which is a very sexy blend of alluring florals and OOOoooooooh La LAAAaaaaahhhh!

Mission accomplished, revisiting this fragrance has proven to be a SUCCESS!!! Ysatis still wears very well with my personal body chemistry! LOVE IT!!!

---------------

In the same family of scents with Ysatis...

If you like Ysatis, I would recommend trying Beautiful by Estee Lauder and Joy. Beautiful has been one of my very favorite signature fragrances for years. (You can read my review on Beautiful and will know why I love that one so much). Joy - is another fragrance that kind of reminds me of Ysatis, however Joy has much more of a carnation base to it. Ysatis is a bit sweeter than Beautiful - and on my skin, kind of has a bit of a coconut/honey/floral broth flavor. If you like a slightly higher octave sweeter fragrance, you could try some tuberose fragrances like Fracas, Madonna's Truth or Dare, or Eternity by Calvin Klein.

Crafty_mare
Crafty_mare

I was bought this at age 19 and hated it, I was more of a Cinnabar and Rive Gauche girl in those days ( I still enjoy those by the way).

Now I love it, I've grown up, my sense of smell has changed and so has my taste. I am really into woody, amber aromatic perfumes, I also love a hint of flora, but I hate any vanilla smell with a passion.

I would recommend both of these 2 Ysatis perfumes, they are extremely feminine and not over pricey! Which is always a good thing.

gracenote-floralspice
gracenote-floralspice

Ysatis - one of my favourites. my first experience was positive. I wore it out with friends in the evening. My friend said what are you wearing it's stunning." After I let her smell the fragrance in the bottle she remarked: "It smells exquisite on your skin - not at all like in the bottle.." I love the woody fragrance, something powdery, but not baby powder - just a wonderful sophistication about the fragrance. Long live Ysatis (the original)

Peachply
Peachply

It always induced a headache feeling in me...overpowering in a bad way. Sorry.

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

Maybe it's just me, but I just tried a drop of Narciso Rodriguez For Her and was instantly transported back to 1989 when I wore Ysatis. So if you're seeking a hit of vintage Ysatis and you can't get your hands on any, you might try NR. It doesn't give you the same big furry power-blanket of scent as Ysatis, but there is something there that triggered the most powerful scent-memory for me. I'd love to hear if anyone else agrees.

Clyn11
Clyn11

This is Exquisite! Exquisite! Exquisite!

A must for strong floral ylang ylang lovers. Ultimate creaminess, ultimate class.
I have the vintage EDT and i'm only wearing this on special occasions as it's so precious.

Significant sillage, lasts forever. I will always always have a bottle of this in my collection!

Meche2011
Meche2011

Drop dead gorgeous...

Ysatis is one of those fragrances that smells beautiful the minute you put it on and improves with with time.

mhubbard
mhubbard

This one brings back memories. It was 1986 and I was wroking at a duty- free shop. An elegant black woman who worked for Givenchy (what an amazing job!) came in one day to promote Ysatis and gave me a mini.It is difficult to imagine how poor I was, but the minimum wage of the era was around 3.85. Although I should have been thrilled with my Ysatis mini as it would be years before I could buy anything more expensive than Parfums de Coeur, unfortuately the aldehyde notes here rendered this a stinky and boring perfume to my nose. I would nevertheless describe it as sophisticated and even elegant, just not for me.

sweethearttx
sweethearttx

A nice scent. I was hoping to like it based on the notes. Something about it is too "perfumy" for me though. Just seems very strong and matronly when I smell it. I think this is good for ladies who like complex scents that make a statement.

Cybernoir
Cybernoir

This powerhouse floral opens with ylang ylang and orange blossom, exceedingly sweet. Jasmine and honey add a gooey wetness, accentuated by a juicy mandarin orange. The bitter muskiness of galbanum then appears, a balance for the sweetness, preventing the top notes from becoming cloying. The woodiness appears early, in the first hour, before the heart notes. A rich, extravagant, opulent perfume, feminine and sexual.

A plush velvety rose appears with the heart, accompanied by tuberose and narcissus, and again, very, very, sweet. I do not smell coconut at any point. And the dry down, oh, the dry down! Just delicious….unusually light vanilla, unlike so many frags where the dry down is all vanilla, with equally light sandalwood. The amber and musk build on the galbanum, achieving a very well rounded, charming muskiness. I love patchouli and vetiver, but there are times when these don’t mix well. Here, there is a fine balance, resulting in an earthy, sexy, leathery, aromatic vibe that hums smoothly below the surface of the sweet florals.

8brd
8brd

I remember buying this as a Christmas present for my late Mum and from the start she loved it - previously she had been a Nina Ricci L'Air Du Temps wearer. It was her favourite signature scent for special occasions.

Decodawn
Decodawn

Full of eastern promise and the magic of starry skies, a beautiful oriental chypre (pronounced sheepray). A classic fragrance from the house of Givenchy, one of the great 80's fragrances that has stood the test of time. Perfect for daytime or evening use in the Autumn/Winter months. Very long lasting. The Art Deco Bottle is beautiful, a fantastic christmas present.

cecyben
cecyben

I love too much this perfume ! For me it is the best of Givenchy ! Strong, sexual, elegant, very feminine. Excellent longevity and sillage. My congratulations to Dominique Ropion !

scenteena
scenteena

KSGarner, the reason they keep doing this is because they want to CONTINUE TAKING OUR MONEY and giving us less!! You see they're getting away with it. Did you see where one poster said the tester was the original formula, but the one they purchased was the reformulation? The old "switch and bait" con. Remember that? Did anyone inform them that the product had been changed and wasn't what they wanted? No. THIS IS CONSUMER FRAUD PEOPLE!! And the ONLY WAY IT'S GOING TO STOP is if we the buying public DEMAND that these fragrance companies label fragrances that have been modified. Let the customer DECIDE if they want to purchase a reformulation not DECEIVE THEM into doing it!!

Yes, Ysatis was my signature, too. I bought my first bottle in the 80's, completely unaware of all the complements that would befall me every time I donned this beauty! And it really saddens me, that now this fragrance lamb, like so many others, has been needlessly slaughtered. So many thoughts are going through my mind as I reflect on this classic scent treasure, that with the exception of vintage stock, is no more. Thoughts of perhaps tighter industry regulation, letters of complaint to state attorney generals, decreased sales due to deception...And as I continue to ponder the ramifications of all this untruth, I envision a brighter, better future for all us fragrance devotees. The direct result of increased heat under those who practice the art of purfumery, thereby causing them to mend their dishonest ways, scramble to keep our business, and RESOLVE to do right by us!

aber19
aber19

Please do yourself a favour and get the original fragrance, not the new reformulated version with the new plastic top and purple modern box cover.

Firstly, I tried the new fragrance it was so much weaker,and costs a lot of money. It lasts less than 2hrs. The quality of fragrance has been compromised.

The older version is a stronger has a vintage smell and I think that there is nothing that comes close it. I lasts about 6 hrs on clothes then it gets softer and can linger for about 10hrs or more. I do not put perfume on the skin because of the chemicals.

This perfume represents style, class, so be aware that this original perfume is becoming discontinued, so you will need to stock up on this one. I have ordered this perfume from the USA it was so much cheaper than in Australia. Try to get the perfume pack with the moisturer and perfume if possible, it will make your perfume last longer if you spray the fragrance on the skin. Or you can use a moisturer with no fragrance will make the perfume last longer.

avongirlsatx
avongirlsatx

My all time favorite perfume. It's so unlike anything else. I just love it. Vintage...now. I will always love this scent!

drummagick
drummagick

I stumbled across a cache of vintage minis in our local antique mall today, and there were 2 little bottles of Ysatis. This one has been on my 'to try' list for a while now so I tried a drop on the back of my hand and sniffed and WHOA!! It almost knocked me off my feet!! This is the first experience I've had with a perfume with such a high level of ylang in it. It was really too much at first, but lovely once the top notes faded a little. It's not me at all, but it's certainly a gorgeous well blended perfume!

smellsheavenly
smellsheavenly

Givenchy Ysatis, one of my dearest perfumes from the 80's early 90's, it is without a doubt a head-turner and a masterpiece in my opinion. In my haste to replenish my fading stock, I bought the new formulation - purple box - clear cap - made worse by the fact that the tester in the store was clearly still the old formulation.
The old Ysatis is more of an oriental to my nose, the newer style, I would definitely categorise as Chypre.

Jewelsie42
Jewelsie42

(singing to myself) "Celebrate good times, come on"!!!
Aahhh, vintage Ysatis de Givenchy, there is truly nothing like it in the world..a magical potion that conjures up a potent love spell. I took Matusha's advice to get my mojo back and puchased several GOLD capped bottles from various sellers on ebay. The original formual is still relatively easy to find.Back in the nineties I was in my twenties and had a very stylish, glamorous girlfriend who wore Ysatis (or "easy tease" as we jokingly called it) and I admired her ability to pull off such a powerful, "I know what I want & I'm GOING to HAVE IT" kinda scent. I chickened out back then and wore Amarige instead, which is beautiful...but it doesn't have the raw, sexual power of Ysatis. Imagine my horror when one day out of the blue, now @ 42, when I decided I was finally ready to tame this beast and excitedly drove to the department store to purchase it....and NO..THEY DIDN"T...a REFORMULATION!! How dare they!The new version nearly burnt the hair out of my nostrils and most definately was not the gorgeous frag I remembered. I wanted to cry. But thanks to this wonderful site, I discovered I am still able to get my precious juice and have been hoarding it ever since.This fragrance is just so powdery and musky, with these gorgeous florals. I must admit it is so well balanced I have trouble isolating individual notes, with the exception of a burst of aldehydes and citrus,rosewood and ylang-ylang at the top and I definately detect the amber, civet and patchouli in the drydown...oh yes and oakmoss, glorious oakmoss--I say bring it on!
I have finally grown up and feel deserving of such a fine fragrance as Ysatis de Givenchy, it is a masterpiece in my humble opinion.

soblue2
soblue2

Love Love Love this scent! On the downside is the price, I used to buy it from Duty Free, but haven't travelled in awhile, perhaps a drive south of the border sometime soon. =)

cuivre
cuivre

After all these years of near perfection in my fragrance (Joy, Norell, and Chloe signatures for some years apiece), I have found the beauty of the others combined with what they lacked. I bought a sample of Ysatis, per advice of this very web site, dabbed it on this morning, and almost came undone. For the first time in years, people asked me what perfume I am wearing. I keep waving my arms around so my wrists will waft this fragrance at my nose. I adore this. This is IT.

KSGarner
KSGarner

I used to LOVE this perfume. It was one of those rare scents I would spray, then close my eyes, breath in, and loose my self in its fragrance. Kind of like an exotic, expensive vacation (with multi-hued sunsets, and frosty coconut drinks).

The current formulation is just sad. When I first spray it I catch a faint reminder for just a second of what it once was in the top notes, and then it's just all a CHEAP CHEMICAL smell from there on out. It's all the worse for the comparison with the original.

WHY do they keep reformulating fragrances into something cheap smelling?

JasmineLilac
JasmineLilac

I remember really liking Ysatis in the '90s, seeing it as spicy and sweet but not overpoweringly so.

A couple of days ago, I smelled it at Belks and was shocked: it's not at all as I remember it. I read a couple of reviews above, and at least one mentioned a reformulation.

Given my distaste for this fragrance that I used to really like, I suspect that there was a massive reformulation--and that it was a bit of a failure.

Goodfortune5758
Goodfortune5758

It took me a long time to get over my love affair with Ysatis. I suppose I could still be persuaded, I felt I needed to move on.

takeasniff

I have the new formulation of this because when I purchased it I didn't realise a reformulation had happened. I have to say I love it when first applied but when it has dried it is not nice in my opinion. It has a very matronly heavy depressing air about it. I am married to a German man and his Mother's friends are quite stiff and awkward when you first meet them. They come across as very stern. My husband mentioned that a lot of German people from that generation give that impression. His friends used to say the same thing it was like trying to hang out with the Queen! Once you get to know them they are lovely ladies but they scared me off at first. One of them wears this which I now realise, I didn't when I first met her but now that I have this perfume it smells so familiar and I know it is this perfume whether she wears the reformulated one or the vintage one I don't know. I now associate this perfume with her and it makes me feel out of place as though the perfume really smells too old for me. I never normally say that about a perfume I think you can wear whatever suits you but in this case I am struggling with this one. I also struggle with 5Th Avenue by Elizabeth Arden because my Mum wears it so every time I wear it I feel like my Mum. It suits her and funny enough I was the one who got her on to that perfume because I wore it all the time and she liked it so now she wears it now I can't because again, I feel like it is too old for me like I am trying to be more mature than I am. I think it is just a case of associations rather than this perfume being bad in my case. Such a pity because I have read the reviews on here and really wanted to be able to wear it as I love the older perfumes they just don't make them like that any more!:(

I am in my mid 30's and I like to think I try to leave the house well put together and sophisticated but somehow this perfume really doesn't suit me it is a rare one I will have to wait until I am a little older. Or, maybe it is just a bad reformulation that doesn't smell good on anyone I am not sure.

mzfiguer
mzfiguer

Beautiful memories of my mother wearing this fragrance tainted by the knowledge of the civet's presence in the composition :(

Fimafeng
Fimafeng

Another sexual power drug!
The Ysatis could really draw the animal instinct out of a male human being.
It is standing oozing in the corner just waiting for the different males to make battle for its prize - The very woman who is wearing it.
It is really a sexual perfume that should not be considered under the sun, but almost exclusively under the moon.
You ladies, when entering this scent do wear something leathery. The blend of Ysatis with for instance the smell of a leather or suede jacket just potentiate the erotic power of this scent.
It goes well with blondes and dark women with a little extra style who know what they want and who know what thay may offer.
It is indeed a bodily perfume.

cleanerchic
cleanerchic

My Dear husband picked this out for me back in the 90's, He was on a Givenchy kick for awhile. Every year he would by me a scent from Givenchy. I have to say I really liked it so much, I used 1/2 bottle until my son was born. Was sensitive to smells for awhile. Gave the bottle to my mom, And just re-discovered it again at Ulta. Had to have it again. This truly is a scent that is beautiful, Truly a sent for the evening.

astamm62
astamm62

I really like this scent,I am starting to like fragrance's from the 70's and 80's more than I used to like Cachete, Vanderbilt, Windsong...Doesn't bother me if they are considered Old Lady or Grandma scents by some on this site..These scents to me are longer lasting and smell nice... I'm tired of the sugar,candy,fruity floral fragrances..Can't wait to get my Elizabeth Taylor Black Pearls. Another good thing these fragrances don't cost an arm and a leg

akats
akats

very refined elegant chypre. It's classic after all these years. I smelled recently again, and I thought that its success was quite understandable. At first, I smell a kind of floral fruity fragrance due to citruses which are clear. After a while, it turns to a true chypre and reminded me a bit of Tamango (due to its bitterness and oak moss) The smell ends as a chypre as well having preserved its bitterness and its complexed base. Good staying power, as I could smell it on my wrist after 6 hours or more...

chialparo
chialparo

Womanly and has continuity. The progression from the instant impression settles into a powder like a social encounter where you arrive and end up chatting with someone intimately. So special! Grown up from Tweed. Trashes White Diamonds.

Debshee
Debshee

I used to love this back in the 90's. Used an entire large bottle and bought another. I was also in love with Amarige around the same time. But then I fell in love with fresher, lighter scents. Then I couldn't stand to have this on at all. Finally gave a large bottle away in 2000.

ecofreak2001

Such a lovely & elegant scent. Had it when I was a teenager and reserved it for special occasions since is a little strong. Very feminine, spicy, kind of heavy (in a good way)...for me is elegance in a bottle. Love it!!!

smellME
smellME

Ysatis , Ysatis - where are thou ?
Cause this formula is not what I remember, anyway not by smelling it, nor by notes.... Whenever I used this in the early 90s, compliments came thrown at me from everyone, what are you wearing...- I want that one too....!
Remembering the feeling - being 25 again got me wanting this again...
It started VERY fruity, almost riped ones, didn´t like it for about 40 minutes.
But then - oh my, there were glimpses of my old perfume love. shining through, with deep creamy woods, civet, galbanum and musk.
The heart is here in full storm, telling me it was worth the wait, all those years without you.
Its creamy, almost a boozy feeling to it that I remember and love !
I will probably have to save it for autumn and winter nights, but might be sprayed on a summer evening in that beautiful bare shouldered dress waiting for your table by the bar, with a drink in your hand and your loved one in the other....

Ysatis - nice to have you around again ,even if your´e not really the way I remembered you...

missymary
missymary

Ysatis is the epitome of the aldehydes that followed from Chanel No 5. It captures the generic aldehyde and the oriental allusions but it lacks the sparkle and the strong upbeat notes.

Chanel No 5 is on elegant high stepping stiletto heels, and it walks vigorously with effortless style. Ysatis tries too hard on too many fronts to capture that big vibe, and it can't get the lift. It's such a heavy-weight middle-aged perfume for that reason. It makes me feel drenched in harshly exotic soapy juices.

Still, when all is said, Ysatis packs in loads of strong mature female pheromones or whatever they are, and, overloaded as it is, it does enough of its thing to keep it selling to those who yearn for the Good Old Days.

dlane1953
dlane1953

I tried the EDT (new, not vintage) and it really shouts. The opening notes are very sharp and a bit harsh. A half hour later, I went to see my dentist and minutes after he walked into the room he fell into a sneezing fit, poor guy! This one just not for me. I had to wash it off. Great staying power, but in my case that was not a plus.

Matusha
Matusha

Ysatis in its original formula is sooo magical. In the West Indies we use Kananga Water in various voodoo practices. This is my uptown "Kananga water". It has lots of ylang ylang or kananga flower. Add civet, neroli, bay and coconut give it a tropical character that is perfect and reminds me of the islands.

The magical properties of Ysatis is attraction, baby. Sexy mamas should only be allowed to wear this. I understand it has been changed. What a shame! If you need your "mojo", find a gold capped bottle.

L2003
L2003

I have a bottle here of Ysatis that actually read the core ingredients : "oriental floral" = mandarin, Jasmine, patchouly.... now jasmine I think I can smell and ylang-ylang, but jasmine is not even on the list - although at least one other person has mentioned it here...

Any opinions ?

PLUMPIE

Totally sexy makes me feel exotic and goddess like. Green but sweet with the dryness of honey. Oh god I love this, the scent lingers like a rich trail of incense. Hot hot hot

Iluvsmellies
Iluvsmellies

Ysatis has been a perfume that I have owned on and off through all my adult life. I first owned it aged 20 back in '86 or so. I rediscovered it in 2007 and I still love it. I have Noa as my signature fragrance but this probably has more right to be. The only reason Noa is there over this is that Noa is more day-wear friendly.

Ysatis is a scent that I can't and don't actually want to dissect and distinguish notes. It is Ysatis. If you love perfume you should give it a good try, it won't be to everyone's taste but even if you don't love it, it is worthy of respect.

RobinL
RobinL

My Mother-in-law introduced me to the world of fragrance when I was still quite young :) I do believe this was one of my 1st stocking stuffers - I was instantly hooked by this elegant scent.

ecofreak2001

One of my first perfumes...my favorite uncle gave it to me (I know...it's a big girl perfume, but that's why I loved it). I loved it back then as I still love it today. Very feminine, elegant and classy.

Ysatis is a scent I disliked for many years. I tested it today and wow, I have finally grown up to match Ysatis. Now I can detect woodsy notes,Ylang-Ylang, airy adult flowers, some aldehydes, civet and vanilla. Really great. Less is more when it comes to Ysatis - spray carefully and you will smell wonderful for several hours, spray a little to much and this will be a punch on the nose to others.

Ysatis är en doft som jag inte tyckt om alls. Jag provade den idag och wow jag har äntligen växt ikapp den. På min hud känner jag träiga noter,Ylang-Ylang, vuxna blomdofter (inte sockersöta), lite aldehyder och civet,o vanlij.Jättehärlig. Lite är lagom av Ysatis, spreja för mycket och den blir en rumsdödare direkt.

thaocrockett
thaocrockett

It's quite nice with sweet Ylang Ylang scent dominance. I can smell amber once in a while.
It's a loud perfume, kind of sillage monster on my skin.
I would have liked it more if it hadn't had aldehyde. My body can't tolerate this composition.

glad57

Love love love it! Just as I remember it the same sweet, feminine,lovely fragrance as before! This is my re-signature fragrance. All I would wear in the late 80's and early 90's. I have tried so many over the years,french,italian, american,some really beautiful ones, floral,chypre, woody, amber,vanilla.Dior, chanel,D and G,givenchy,gucci,bvlgari,chloe,robert piquet,bill blass,either they had a base that wasnot pretty enough for the floral heart or did not last long enough,or too loud and too long. For me this is best blend of floal for me since I stopped wearing it before. Why did I stop?tsk tsk tsk,I repent now! I just got too consumed with all the new ones coming in and they didn't even have what I really desired in a fragrance.For die hard romantics this is it!LOVELY, the fire is rekindled!!!

glad57

Well, well, well I just put on this yummy floral that i used to wear in the late eighties and it was my sig. scent I bought this online from macy's with a gift card,since they don't carry it anymore and thought it was the original black box (b/c of advertising)and when it arrived, whoa! i got the purple box thinking oh no this can't be right,so for all the original Ysatis lovers in the world, it's not all bad, it opens with a little duller spark than the o.g but the drydown is as nice as ever, don't know what they did or what they took out but i think i can wear it out of the house without shame, it's actually getting prettier as it wears so i won't fuss and complain, but i agree with one who said "if it ain't broke don't fix it." I will still get it from a vintage dealer to compare and record my findings. SO LIVE ON AND LIVE STRONG WITH YOUR SCENTS!!!

Migalex
Migalex

This is, for me, one of the best perfumes ever made and, contrarily to other reformulations, in this one the reformulation improved an already marvellous perfume. It is now stronger, sillage and lasting power are much better and it is more sensual and animal, thanks to the now much more pronounced musk and amber base. It is a very complex fragrance, although on top of all notes is ylang-ylang. But one can smell lots of notes, including coconut, which can be really vulgar in other perfumes. Here it is just marvellous. And the amber and the musk in the base are equally magnificent. It is a pity that although no longer common in pefume shops, it is still expensive on the internet. When the price comes down I will buy 1 liter.

chrisym.
chrisym.

Given to me by my father when I was 13,beautiful,woody and sweet;and yet still my favorite!!

Bandit
Bandit

I'm still on the lookout for a Givenchy I like. Up until now I don't like any of them enough to get to like the house.

I am not one of those, who bash an 80s frag alone for being from the 80s. I still appreciate some frags of the 80s, although they surely are for my nose all quite overpowering. Ysatis is no exception. Too much 80s here for me; on the other hand I don't find it too unique. There is nothing in Ysatis, that only Ysatis can give me.

They in fact could make better chypres in the 80s than Ysatis: Think about Le Temps D`Aimer or La Nuit. In the 20s-70s chypres were even better than that, imho.

ekadkins
ekadkins

I have a special connection with this fragrance because it is my mom's favorite and I always think of her when I get a whiff. It's classic, sexy, and timeless. It is definitely on the pricey side, but worth every penny.

Kchild
Kchild

Ysatis is exchangable with the word identity for me. She and I are old loves. I got her when I was very young when she first came out, and wore her as a signature for 20 years. I still have an original bottle and it smells....like me. I don't wear her much anymore.... but when I do.....I wear her well.

She's not for everyone, and she's of a generally more complex era. A powerhouse 1980's perfume. A time when you would get into an elevator and it was a wonder you made it out alive. The smell of competing perfumes was common and they made a lot of olfactory noise. They were BIG!!!!

For me she's like slipping into a sweet kiss from the one you've loved forever though. She's familiar and exciting all at once. I can smell the galbanum which always intimidates the atmosphere a bit. It's tempered however by the warmth of ylang and jasmine. The oakmoss is classic and does what oakmoss does perfectly. This is such a complex perfume that to go through all the stages would take forever and this review is already long. Suffice it to say that she's sexy, powerful,and not for the shy.I can't imagine ever not having a small bottle of the original formula. I'm kicking myself for trading the body creme. It's the most perfect, luscious rendition of this fragrance made I believe. Ysatis, I love you.

Vamy69
Vamy69

This is a like for me. It is a little loud for my tastes but given the right situation this could be quite something!

Jazzy76
Jazzy76

Tipico profumo pesante e rétro, dove ylang ylang ed aldeidi si avvertono in maniera esagerata. Assolutamente non nelle mie corde

Turtledove
Turtledove

Definitely not for me, I like jolielady's review, she describes it well, intimidating is just the right word. There's a strong dusty/greenish/chemical note right on top that is very offputting to me and doesn't go away, I don't really like the powdery thing it has going on either, it seems a little cold and stern. It is distinctive though, and sophisticated, just not my style. But beware, a little goes a LONG way!

ION
ION

"Ysatis" is a fabulous perfume!
It is an 80's creation with a character and finesse that goes beyond the "decorative" facet of todays perfumes. Underneath its complexity lies an adventurous and young spirit with a strong but friendly attitude.
The scent takes form with the discreet contribution of carefully selected notes which literally discuss about a subject posed by the coconut note. How very ingenious indeed!
At its drydown it acquires a soapy clean quality that doesn't lack luxury at all. Lovely!

candys
candys

This is my mothers signature scent! She have tried so many other perfumes but always goes back to this one. For me this perfume is sweet and cosy. Maybe because it is my mothers signature scent and she have use it as long as i remember. Ysatis is also elegant and very feminine.

joannachia
joannachia

yikes! It's a little too strong for me... Maybe if I were a little older, or more used to such scents, I wld love it much more. As it is, I can only tolerate it if I smell it from afar, because a full sniff could almost knock me out. Haha. I should have known that I would have some trouble liking it, since I don't like very musky smells...

It's a scent for a sophisticated woman indeed, more of a night-time scent than a daytime scent I think... Makes you imagine secret, mysterious paths in the forest, with the moonlight shining down and drawing out the intoxicating scents of the flowers that bloom everywhere.

I have a feeling the strong musky/heady smell comes from the substantial amount of galbanum in it... Some reviewers said the new scent isn't as good as the original, maybe that accounts for my ambivalence as well... Oh well, maybe my mum will like it :P

krmarich
krmarich

The original goddess in a bottle. She was demure, sexy and ethereal. She had the unmistakable Givenchy stamp upon her-that sweet,luscious otherworldly quality that no other house seemed to capture. A rich honey sweetness unmatched. It was as fleeting and as rare as a snowflake.

The current batch, produced by the house formerly know as Givenchy is a total imposter! A cheap flanker. It has been said before and I will say it again-if its not broken, dont fix it!!!

Jilly B
Jilly B

I wore this in the late 80's when I was in my late teens and loved it! In recent years I've sniffed it many times in department stores and thought it was horrible. How could I ever have worn this?

Then I discovered that there's been a reformulation and I've obviously worn the original version. I managed to source a half-bottle of vintage on eBay and it arrived today!

Oh, it's lovely! Just how I remember it! Very heavy opening, in tradition with 80's shoulder pads and big hair, and the most amazing warm honey dry down. I put a tiny spray on my wrist 5 hrs ago now and it still smells amazing. I've fallen in love with it all over again.

tineke
tineke

I wear this all the time for years now and in a wonderful way it smells different every day. Can't do without it.
Dilemma is that my husband doesn't really like it. Specially when I've just put it on and I kiss him goodbye in the morning. And he is right, sometimes it initially gives a hint of cat's pee.

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

Ahh, I was about 16 when I sniffed this one first time. I loved its pure and powdery nature. Was not ready for Ysatis on those times. But now.. I absolutely LOVE THIS. Still my initial feelings comes with Ysatis with nature of pure scent, perfect florals, some romance in it, makes You Dream ! Yesss, that is what this scent does. Dream work. This is sunny as well, like a sun rays playing with flowers on suummer field. Huge LOVELY scent.

Kiku
Kiku

I think of this as Amarige's more reserved cousin. Ysatis lacks Amarige's intensity and manic energy and "look at me!" quality. Although both have the same structure(fruits/warm white flowers/vanilla and sandalwood)Ysatis is a chypre. It is cooler, softer, and more sophisticated. It is not for the life-of-the-party gal who can dance on tables all night. It is for that woman we see so often in the movies: shy, quiet, ladylike. But when she takes off her glasses and shakes out her old lady school teacher bun watch out! She knows she smoulders inside and doesn't have to show it off.

LaPetite
LaPetite

This perfume is so 80's ... (in a good way )
You can easily imagine it worn by a Dallas or Dynasty character : the strong woman , with big hair , big shoulders, big gold jewelry and big make up !
It's very sophisticated and feminine , smells expensive .
A true 80's chypré masterpiece !
I like it, but i'm not sure whever i want it or not , i believe it's not for me , or maybe i'm just nor ready for it. Maybe within a few years ...

Fragrantnatic
Fragrantnatic

I received this back in the late 80's from my boss one christmas, its a nice scent though cant say its my favorite but yes, its nice and a very feminine scent.I think what I had was the original scent, in the red and black box..but with the same shaped cap.

glamrgirl7
glamrgirl7

Have to agree with jena6867 on this one...
Treasured the one I'd bought around '91 or so!
Light and unobtrusive; classy and elegant; uber sophisticated.
Purchased a small bottle at a major department store a few months back and was sooo disappointed.
It smelled very watered down from the classic I remember so well and didn't even stay on my skin for 2 hours. WTH, Givenchy?
Will still remember the original formulation with fondness though. :D

jena6867
jena6867

I had always wondered why I loved this i the 80's and did not like it in the 2000's! Now I know it was reformulated, why spoil something and try to make people like something else?

Sarah Bas Eleazar
Sarah Bas Eleazar

How do I know which version is the original old one?

eilismaireg

Well, thanks to a swap with the lovely Nopasho, I have a vintage bottle to review.
Wow. The difference between this version (EDT) and the modern reformulation is absolutely evident, this is like seeing a photo of a star before the disastrous plastic surgery that ruined her looks! Plush, soft, refined and slightly dirty with that lovely Civet in the base, this is a million miles away from the sharp transparency of the reformulated version which I tried to love but just simply found it too lacking in the unique qualities that this version has. I'm worried now about using it up.....

madhatter1
madhatter1

Agree with elgab89. Nice but I always liked it on other people. I liked Amarige better for myself so I turned to that insteadcback in the day from the Givenchy line. I also liked saying the cool name Ysatis.

girlsworld
girlsworld

I used to wear this one when I was 18 thought it was soooo sophisticated back in the early 1990's !!! now I just don't think is smells the same, I wouldn't wear this one now way too strong on me

Since this has been mentioned in comparisons here often, I tried it today and found it way too strong and unpleasant. An "old ladies" scent again in my view.

takeasniff

I just got this and mine has a clear lid not the gold lid. Does that mean I have the new formula or the old one. It does not last on me at all. I like it but it just lasts 5 minutes then gone. I purchased it from a reputable place. The box was the purple and pink one? If anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

myrayolite
myrayolite

I wore this parfume in college and many complements always! It melded with me pefectly. My daughter wears it sometimes. Oldie to me but still a goodie! :o)

Siv55
Siv55

I don't get this one AT ALL. Waste of packaging. (Plus it's really ugly packaging) It's just nasty. Horrible chemical smell. Hint of some garden bush? One of the few fragrances I really don't like at all at any point. Like the inside of your gran's handbag just before someone notices she can't cope any more and needs to go into a nursing home.

smoothshoperator
smoothshoperator

Another Givenchy great, which lasts very long on the skin...just very enjoyable to smell, but please use a spare hand. This can be overdone SO easily and in that case it can cause a headache. I like to spray on a q-tip and put behind ears. I don't like the term "old lady", but it is a more mature scent I would say, but very lovely when applied correctly.

Meiji
Meiji

Loved this one in the late teens, until a co-worker started wearing it as well. Suddenly I realized it gave me massive headaches! It was beautiful for a time, but yes, very loud.

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

Back in the mid-1980's, I used to regularly go to a massage therapist and body-worker who did deep tissue massage and this was the perfume she wore. She used to use rose geranium oil on me, so I used to leave, blissed out, with a combination of those two fragrances lingering on my skin.

imoore
imoore

Oh Dear!!!

The one and only perfume to give me a massive headache as yet sadly!

That is a big nono for me despite the nice addicting chypre scent smell.

moraine
moraine

I wish I could smell Ysatis with the nose of someone born after the '80s. For me it is inextricably linked to memories of pushy, big-haired, shoulder-padded department store matrons!

Pity...it's such a warm, luxurious, snuggly scent, with just the right amount of fruit and powder, and the ylang-ylang is absolutely exquisite. Maybe if I wear it enough, it will attach itself to some happier memories...

flowermom
flowermom

wow ysatis what a blast from the past! i started wearing this when i was 22 & finally stopped wearing it at 31, everyone i knew liked it i got lots of comments from men on this scent! its a real "romantic" smelling scent, & very strong! one squirt lasts all day! however, once i hit my 30s this fragrance just reminded me of "night clubs, pubs, that kinda nauseating smell when you wake up from a hangover! im 40 now & look back at fondness for wearing this! but alas i can now only tolerate "subtle" smells, however its still a great scent! i catch a smell of it every now & now on others & it always makes me smile !

jolielady
jolielady

This is a typical 80s perfume. Lasts forever. And has one penetrating airfreshener chemical note that people at the other side of the room will pick up! Its in the same class as Arpege,Tweed,First.

Its headmistressy. If you want to be intimidating and bossy, wear this! A Miss Jean Brodie perfume.

ReinaT
ReinaT

I love the original version of Ysatis! It is magical! I find it to be very floral and feminine and the dry down is soft and pretty. I have 3 bottles of it and it is definitely one of my favorites. Pretty much can't go wrong with any perfume made by Givenchy.

passionata20
passionata20

I accept only the original version of this fragrance! I bought recently new formulation and it was awful. I use it now as a air freshener in my bathroom.
What made this scent classic is now gone! Gone all the richness and power!
It was loud indeed but i think is very suitable for a business lady. Or an evening in theater or opera. Very aristocratic!
I feel some notes and similar to Organza, but where Organza goes oriental and sweet Ysatis stays sharp.
Lasting power is amazing for the edt!!!
Sadly it gives me a headache since it smells completly different on me that on someone else, so i sold it to my neighbour. On her is doesn´t smell so agressive and loud like on me (but Organza on her, for example has the same effect as Ysatis on me). So i guess i just will sniff it on her and like it, because i don´t like it anymore on myself.

rainbow.owl
rainbow.owl

mmmmm Ysatis how I love you! I recently bought a small bottle of edt after not having used any for about 10 years. one small squirt and I was instantly taken back in time. It's just so lovely. it is quite heavy and heady, so I recommend edt and using a light hand. it's a fantastic warm floral bouquet with great lasting power.

Turin says it's missing it's citrus top notes and maybe it is, but the dry down smells just the same to me. I'm just surprised I went without a bottle for so long...

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Was given this by a friend who thinks I like EVERY perfume, but she's wrong I'm very picky. Or my nose and my stomach are, anyway, as I come across so many that make me feel sick. HOWEVER she struck gold with Ysatis. It reeks of luxury; you can tell from the very top that no expense was spared in its creation. No cheap pong! It is simply beautiful (with the evidence on SIMPLY). There are many ingredients listed, which is surprising, but they all blend together and nothing screams out at you. That is so rare. Powdery, maybe a bit of vanilla? but I can't pick out a single overpowering ingredient and that, to me, is what I like. It makes me feel very feminine indeed.

Edit: 3 years later I have done an about face with this one. I still agree that it is well put together, but it is SO NOT ME any more.

junior halston
junior halston

I feel that Elizabeth Taylor's White Diamonds copied this fragrances and Ysatis does it better.

natalie sorosiak
natalie sorosiak

I just received my bottle of ysatis edt. i was so excited because i ran out quite awhile back.I happily opened the pretty package,sprayed some all over myself and it just wasn't right.somethings missing! just not the same amazing smell. it's still nice,but not how it was when I was unable to stop smelling my wrists and sighing"
"ahhh." we should keep emailing, writing,&calling givenchy and mabey we could make a difference.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

Really nice woodsy scent! Thank you Nyoka for endowing me with such a wonderful sample! All of Givenchy scents are very unique and this is no exception, different but in a very lady like way.

Sassy1

Update:
Not sure if it's the perfume or my nose but I put this on today and all I can smell is soap, soap and more soap.
It hasn't mellowed or softened and it's been 2 hours.
I'm actually starting to get a headache...
So sad...

8 hours later: Finally!! There's the beautiful scent I thought I knew!!

Does anyone know if Aldehydes get stronger with age?

nyoka

This indeed speaks of richnes,money and furs! A very expensive smelling scent for sure.It conjurs up images of a blond lady with a scarf on riding in a Mercedes convertable.She drives faster and lets the scarf go,then shakes out her hair.She is on her way to the country club where every man is in awe of her and that magical smell.A slight kiss of coconut,a warm hug of sweet jasmine and woody iris completed with a moan of pleasure from the woods,vanilla and animal muskiness.A long lasting,uplifting,(DAMN I feel pretty )FUME!

I was 18 in 1985 and was in Toronto at the Eatons Center On my way out this Lady came up to me and asked me if I wanted a bottle ( free ) of this new perfume Ysatis ... I said sure and thanked her and dropped it into my purse ... not being one to wear perfume ( almost always got headaches ) I didnt really bother with it for a few months . Then the day my life changed forever .. ( I know a little dramatic ) but seriously this perfume has become a part of who I am!!! From the first ime I wore it and almost every single person I went near commenting on how wonderfull I smell ... I fell in love with this scent !!I cant even begin to tell you how I adore this scent !!! To this day 25 yrs later it still garners daily comments ... One day I was at my sisters and after I left my 5 yr old niece awoke and when she went out to the kitchen were we were sitting she said to my sister ...I think aunty was here mommy I can smell her !! lol All I can say is I dont know what id do if tthey stopped making this fragrance ...This is NOT an old lady fragrance ...this is classic timeless and ageless !!! Not to mention the countless number of friends and strangers who have purchased it after smelling it on me ... so many strangers have asked me over the yrs what my perfume is called as they would like to buy some for thier loved one !! that speaks volumes about this fragrance !! I love it!!

Yesterday I smelled my so much beloved Ysatis again and it instantly transported me to BYZANCE! Another ALLTIME favorite of mine!

I thought, how can this be, I loved them both forever and only NOW do I see the similarity? I thought I must be mistaken.
Then later I read Turin and yes, they said it too! So, I am actually very glad, since Byzance has become a hard to get all of a sudden! This is an excellent sister!!
:-)

The excess of the 80s done in a haute couture refined style! ;-) Upon reading the notes and reviews here I expected something massive and over the top. I even told my mother when she asked about it, "Oh you won't like that...", boy was I wrong!

This review is for the EDT strength:
Upon depressing the sprayer my nose was greeted with an aldehyde cloud containing so many notes. Fascinated, I just let it drift around me, utterly enchanted by the beautiful and superb mix of tuberose, galbanum, a rather 'dirty jasmine', juicy citruses in a coconut lather, and some divine wood. Quite a first impression! This scent is not what I imagined and I can see now why it took the perfumer 18 months of blending and combining all the notes to get it just right. As the initial burst softens I perceive more of the florals, such as ylang-ylang, carnation and is that daffodils? A heavy green sweetness clings but never overpowers the gorgeous floral heart. I sense some bay or cypriol,perhaps and cloves. Utterly delicious! In the ultimate dry down this is honey sweet, resiny with amber and thick with vanilla, yet the stunning moss note reigns supreme. Patchouli is heavy in this but adds to the grandeur as opposed to dirtying it up. Alongside the very animalic musk and civet(castoreum?) I can detect vetiver and sandalwood which give it a masculine strength while remaining completely feminine. The 80s weren't all bad...

This perfume is the epitome of French and Elegance to me and though it may be strong, it is not brutal and it has an overall very ladylike maturity to it but is by no means a "Gramma" fragrance. This is a woman of the world, one who knows what she wants and lets nothing stand in her way. Those who know her love her and those who don't wish they did...and if you hate her? Well-Shame on you, you're probably just jealous...

Sillage: fantastic
Longevity: excellent
Overall: 4.75/5

My mother is very thankful to all you members for your wonderful reviews! This is the first fragrance she purchased solely on the strength of Fragrantican reviews...and she is in Perfume Heaven! This juice is truly a product of an age few remember (or care to) today. I, on the other hand, remember that decade quite fondly and now Ysatis is with us to keep the spirit of that memory alive...

DEN
DEN

yes it is lovely perfume and i find it attractive too

This is my all time favorite fragrance. I find that it doesn't change scent from when it's first sprayed. It smells like an oriental to me.

narcotic
narcotic

It's not you, late 80s Givenchy; it's me. Ysatis was released two years before I was, and it became the smell perpetually associated to my bratty Gen Y nose with female relatives and towns where people collect Thomas Kincade paintings and point at airplanes.

However, this keen little aldehydic morass is the signature scent for a lot of people far more distinguished than I'll ever be. Want my bottle?

speaking of bottles... the main image for ysatis on Fragrantica reminds me of late 80s pyramid-of-power skyscrapers that were built in major North American cities, where you could just imagine Sigourney Weaver giving the death stare in those magnificent shoulderpads.

Sissi
Sissi

I'm surprised that jasmine is not in the fragrance card i can smell pervasive amounts of it.
to the skin it brings out a soapish scent with an opening of aldehydes the civet i think makes it heavy and oily
i do notice a bit of coconut which suble but nicely done. the drying down
turns into an warm reisen of galbanum
with dry brazilian rosewood.
the heart is hard to detect but i can smell a bit of an honey note the drydown
is prodominly of sweet amber that is cloyish and strong amount of vanilla
and also a wisp of black liqcorice.

guest_trish
guest_trish

Love it, I have been wearing it for years, everyone ask what I am wearing even though I don't smell it...I can't handle strong smells, this is light.

guest_Ning
guest_Ning

Is it possible I've been wearing Ysatis for over 25 years? Where did the time go? My husband associates our love with this scent -- we actually tried to find a new perfume together and even Chanel didn't work. Ysatis is simply perfect...sexy and elegant.

guest_kux
guest_kux

I am wearing this perfume my whole life and for 25 years ow and I can`t get enough of it. I hope Givenchy will never stop producing it !!!!

MsMaryO
MsMaryO

I had a bottle of this in the 80's. It was given to me by a married man who wanted to be my lover. It gave me a searing headache.

I tried to wear it occasionally and it would always give me a headache a couple of hours in. It got to the point I didn't even want to look at the bottle. I don't know what it was because I actually did like the opening notes. I'm thinking it may have been the patchouli and the civet.

Needless to say, the man never became my lover.

perfumepromosince16
perfumepromosince16

Another one of my all time favourites - when ever I come back to it, I always am so glad that I did... a little gem and classic beauty of mystery. Real class.

Zsuzsanna
Zsuzsanna

It is a nice scent but somehow I can't bear coconuts.

The_Entity
The_Entity

a beautiful creation, lovely fragrance to wear in the autumn time, can still smell it on my scarf, givenchys best frag in my opinion

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

Wore this one in my teens definitely not a scent for a young girl. I think back and say to myself wow what was I thinking? It was my mom's perfume and I borrowed it from her. I think this is a classic, it's bold and it makes a statement. It is a scent for a mature woman.

Ysatis is fascinating. Powdery, elegant, beautiful and classical.

I had really expected something extremely outdated, strong and aldehydic, however this is no Chanel No.5, Ysatis is different.

The fragrance opens with soft aldehydic notes, creamy coconut and refreshing citrus, balanced out by subtle spiciness. The scent throughout has a likable powdery-incense quality that is both unique and sensual.

A previous reviewer mentioned the prominent honey note which adds a sense of happiness, which I certainly agree with. The honey, vanilla, coconut and ylang-ylang does create a delicate sweetness, however the galbanum, patchouli, cloves, civet and oakmoss, give Ysatis a damp greeness which can be bitter at times. Animalistic yet refined really sums up this fragrance well.

I don't get much in the way of white florals here, it's more powdery and fresh than anything else to my nose. The lasting power is truly worth the price as its richness lingers on the skin for days. Ysatis is strong and powerful with a lot of character. I recommend.

secretcrush
secretcrush

I tested this perfume this past weekend and I found it quite putrid... Its very loud and green and the aldehydes seem to be in very high concentration... Not for me, but for sum1 who uses it in moderation(1 spray max) the drydown might be bearable or even pleasant...

Kittycat63
Kittycat63

I had a bottle of this in the 90s and loved it. It's the only perfume where I was stopped in the street by men wanting to know what it was because it smelled so lovely! I stopped wearing it because I started to associate it with a bad time in my life but I liked it so much I think I might get another bottle and start wearing it again. It's very warm, rich, sweet, sensual and very recommendable!

nyoka

this is kind of loud but,in a good way.it blooms into some lovely expensive wood that has been doused with citrus.just a touch of aldehydes to bring it together.then opens further with glorious tuberose.as the bloom closes for the day or night,patouli(JUST A TOUCH)mingles in with a dab of civet and sensous amber.i love it.doesnt smell the least bit old lady.very romantic.

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

My first overtly sexy perfume that I wore while in college in the 80's...Well, I was just about graduating from college and was evolving from my bottles of Lauren and White Linen...turning to Fracas and this powerhouse. I guess that's the direction I was going in at the time! I really just fell in love with the fact that this perfume had civet in it and the men in my life seemed to absolutely adore it. Being the fickle girl that I was and still am...I left it suddenly after inhaling a whiff of Amerige at a Depeche Mode concert.

eilismaireg

Aah, my first ever 'grown up' perfume. I had this for my 16th birthday a couple of years after it came out-i was strictly a white musk(body shop oil) and patchouli oil girl 'till i found this. It was beautiful in 1988, really distinctive and refined; I don't know what they've done to the formulation but it's a slightly different version now with a special plushness missing that made it unique. However, I have ordered a bottle because the memories I associate with it are wonderful and it really is elegant and striking at any time of day or place.
Well, I have my bottle and am wearing it now. It's a transparent chypre/oriental to me similar to Safari or even a mix between Estee Lauder Private Collection and Boucheron. It's very 80's in its scale and complexity, but remains undated and like saying Hi to an old friend who is welcome back! I still remember it as slightly lusher than this, maybe I wore the EDP at the time. I must try it! Sillage is good for maybe an hour longevity is quite poor, I'm afraid to say.
As an edit: of course I've since realised that it's been murdered by reformulation, however I have a bottle of vintage which is as plush, animalic and wonderful as I remember it!

rithacha
rithacha

Thanks Persephone for the sample!

I've wanted to test Ysatis forever and had very high hopes for it. When I first (cautiously) put it on, I thought we were going to be lovers. The opening smelled similar to Sublime, but better. Sublime's opening is greener, sharper, harsher, and more characteristically chypre than Ysatis. The top nots of Ysatis, on the other hand, temper the woody citruses with a good dose of neroli/orange blossom. The coconut lends a litte smoothness, but is not easily noticeable.

The heart notes is where my relationship with Ysatis starts to get a little bumpy. The florals stay smooth, but they become greasy and animalistic to the point of staleness. It reminds me very much of Alfred Sung Sung! It's better than Sung, of course, but under the neroli petals something dark, animalistic, and decaying lies. This bothers me very much.

But just as I'm about to write Ysatis off as a scrubber, the luxurious mossy base peeks through and saves the day. Honeyed ambery moss and patchouli are the stars of the chypre dry-down and persist until the yucky beasty florals of the heart whither away. After a point, I love Ysatis again.

Make no doubt, Ysatis is complex and Mature. I feel like I've only scratched the surface, and I'll need to spend some more time with it before arriving at a final conclusion.

ilikethequiet
ilikethequiet

Ysatis starts with lots of orange, ylang ylang and resin on me, very strong and very heavy, with just a hint of powder in there.

The middle notes are so incredibly pretty! This is the first time I've been able to distinguish iris notes in a perfume, and I love it! Woody and powdery and earthy, like leaves and violet flowers with dry, dusty dirt on them. Wonderful!

The base is warm and animalistic, but the iris leaves a cool and powdery floral note in there, too. There's a crispness to it as well- maybe from the laurels and vetvier. Dried down, it's both spicy and woody green. I love it.

What an interesting transformation, and a gorgeous perfume for evening wear or a special occasion.

guest_X'ine
guest_X'ine

Really love this perfume...
never forget it's smell... the perfect fragance for me.. ^^

Malegria
Malegria

I tried it several times in EDP concentration and ran like hell. A good friend of mine, an "older sister", that wore Ysatis half of her life, told me that I never tries anything yet if I did not try it in pure perfume concentration,

When I acquired Ysatis in a pure perfume version, I saw what she meant. Ysatis is a child of it`s time indeed and those who don`t like the straightforwardness of the perfumes of the 80s will not be able to tell one from another - at first, its too much, as with all the older scents.You have to simply wait for the miracle.
For me it is jasmine - ylang ylang - coconut - civet (not vert powerful though) - sandalwood and oakmoss. In this order.
Despite of many animalistic notes that are usually associated with sex appeal in scents, I feel that Ysatis was not born to seduce. It is a scent for an priestess.... of the 80s:)

allegro_barbaro
allegro_barbaro

There is something achingly nostalgic about this scent that I can't out my finger on. Maybe somebody, somewhere wore this around me when I was young. I swapped for it recently and my heart actually skipped a beat in recognition when I spritzed it. As for the scent itself, what I chiefly get is jasmine and lots of it in a lovely warm base. My husband who doesn't usually comment on my fragrances thinks is amazing too. I wish I could get my hands on the EDP a the EDT doesn't seem to last very long, hence four stars instead of five. I love wearing this on winter nights in dressy, glimmery clothes with a glass of red wine in my hand. Ahhhhhh

Persephone
Persephone

I'm well aware that Audrey Hepburn wore L'Interdit made especially for her by Francis Fabron in 1957 and stayed true to the campaign in "Breakfast at Tiffany's (while in the novella itself she sprinkles her neck with 4711, meant to be Le Dix by Capote but changed when the book was published) and Ysatis is a 1980's child, but every time I re-watch that movie I always imagine that Ysatis is the perfume Holly Golightly sneaks out of her mail box and makes a few quick sprays before she goes out on her futile rich man hunt. Rich lemon woody custard, it is indeed a sister of original Byzance. Perfect for a high society imposture. I wear it pure parfum and prefer this version for its expressive richness.

livingdedgrl
livingdedgrl

i have a small bottle of this now, but back in the 80's it was my favorite, i would wear it all the time. however, it seems to me that the one i have now smells somewhat different....maybe it's just me...but i still wear it every now and again and i think of high school!

SylvanFox
SylvanFox

This scent I gave to my grandmother. She loves it. It is classic, and in moderation is strong and magnetic, but is certainly not for everyone. It is strongly floral, but not at all sweet. I would not choose it for myself, but I prefer a sweet floral.

Dawnie
Dawnie

Hm... what can I say that won't sound too negative? It smelled fabulous in the shop, the sweet notes are lovely, but when I wear it I find the sandlewood overpowering. It adds an intrusive sourness that spoils it for me.

amelie
amelie

Ysatis, as I remember, was different. It was among the stronger scent, but so classy, now is too sharp! Aldehydes, which normally I love in top notes are too strong, the smell became strange, even base notes are not so pleasant. Not at all soft on my skin even after several hours, or have I changed? It'is just not the same fragrance, correct me if I'm wrong.

Sassy1

I wore this one today and it confirms my aldehyde addiction and love of chypres. Simply wonderful. The notes blend into a luxurious fruit opening with a hint of floral softening to sweet woods and vanilla which lingers on the skin and assures your feminitiy. What else could you want?

Polymath
Polymath

Mmm, mmm, mmm. Call of the wild (yet sophisticated) in a bottle. I love it.

cassio
cassio

This is what a rich woman should smell!!
At night.

bandkh
bandkh

Classic, beautiful, undated. A bit strong for a warm day but spicy delicious for a cooler evening. Not for youngsters being more suitable to women of elegance. Basically, it is a quartet of woody, floral, fruity and spicy scents - a dangerous liaison indeed. A little goes a long way and you will be knocked out when the base notes kick in - delicious!

mypersonalharmonics
mypersonalharmonics

There is something going on with the chypre-self confidence that everybody seems to agree on.This is a lucky charm for me that every evening I had it sprayed on turned out to be a special one.
Ysatis is warm,woodsy,intoxicating and yet balanced because of the tangerine on the top.Just the right amount of aldehydes.Laurel will make you feel wise like the priestess of an ancient temple.
This is not a "sleepy" oriental.
It is empowering.

veronique

I love this spicy oriental perfume, complex and exotique; a lovely blend of flowers and aromatic woods.
If you want to feel like a goddess. this is for you.

guest_Luvadventure
guest_Luvadventure

I love this scent; it's not dated at all - it's a classic. It's the only scent I've ever worn that I consistently get compliments on every time I wear it. It makes me feel sexy and confident.

Lime909
Lime909

Oh! a special favourite with lovely memories. I went through the late 80's absolutely adoring this scent. I currently don't wear it, but still remember how much I used to love it.

Cris_Venesza
Cris_Venesza

it's oriental and strong , i don't like strong perfumes but this one remains on skin very nice ...elegant

veronique

This is a romantic, feminine, spicy oriental scent, recommended for evening wear.

I was really open to smell one of the best perfumes I've ever smelled according to your nice reviews.but what can I say...
I didn't like it.just classic like so many other ones.the worst part about it is the middle notes.don't call me foul,but it smells like piss!
I should confess the long lasting power is very good.maybe the only thing that is good in this fragrance.

OdeKlotyo
OdeKlotyo

What a heady, lush and ladylike chypre scent! It is definitely okay for special occasions, but not for casual wear. I also think that it is more a mature woman's appeal. (Though there is a 'light' version in existence, called Ysatis Iris.)
It is very much memorable just like most Givenchy fragrances. You are bound to make an impression with this one!

alicektn
alicektn

Here is the smell of a true woman!

This fragrance is so well made. The Jasmine, and the woods blend so well ,that become one.I also love the coconut at the top notes (which lasts a lot on me). Very clean and spicy smell, suitable for almost any age, for almost any circumstance.

A marvelous self confidence booster.

gyftedgrammy
gyftedgrammy

I suspect it's my body chemistry, but the base smacks of that old lady house scent sans mothballs. The top note is very alluring, unfortunately it doesn't last long enough. It would be a keeper otherwise.

PR
PR

So very 80's to me. I wanted to yell 'time-out!', but instead I got knocked-out (ha, sorry for pun:). It's strong and heavy flowery scent that feels so very concentrated that it almost rubs my nose. not my type

dona
dona

Years ago I've thought Ysatis is the worst parfum I've ever smelt, but now it is my favourite floral one. Very special, not for every day or case.

kimberly
kimberly

This is my most favorite scent in the world. I have been using it for 20 years, I still try others, but I can't stop wearing this. It makes me feel like a princess. Some people hate it, but I like the way I feel when I spray this. It makes me feel rich and beautiful. There are so many combos in this perfume, I can't smell them all, but it dies down to a nice soft combination of vanilla, Oakmoss and vetiver. I just have never found anything that could take it's place.

azuriiita
azuriiita

Very intense, elegant.
One type of femininity calm and strong. Deep notes of sandalwood. Unforgettable scent
For a distinguished woman
At damp afternoons and fresh nights it shows and increases its potential up

Purssian
Purssian

Loved this wore it for years!Need to get it again! Sweeter than most but very sexy and has depth warmth!

Allegra
Allegra

I'm not that much into spicy oriental fragrances but Ysatis is an exception to the rule. It was one of my favourites at the end of the 80's, and I still like it. There's something very unique and elegant in it.

Best fragrance ever, love it from the beginning and it is stil everyday awesome!

guest_Kimberly
guest_Kimberly

This is my favorite perfume. It smells as close to my perception of a true Princess would smell like. I first smelled this perfume when I was 20. A woman sprayed it on and I had to know what it was. I have been using it for 20 years now. I LOVE it. It may be overpowering on some, so on hot summer days I spray it in the air and walk through the mist.

Nuppu
Nuppu

This parfume has so many things going on, it's rich, spicy, oriental, floral, do I say it's rich :)? And it's beautiful and womanly in a proud way. Eighties at it's best.

I do have this one in pure parfume form, and it's even more rich and soft in it's busy way than a edt or edp. Highly suitable for special events or nights you just feel like a queen, and want to be treated like queens do.

caribou55313
caribou55313

Richly animalic oriental chypre, almost too full of wonderfullness! I'd compare it to Dioressence in this respect, the latter being maybe a little less plush and thus more elegant.

Ingrita
Ingrita

I`ve got Ysatis today! It`s so wonderful I remember it from 1994, when my friend`s mother bring it from foreign countries (a little sample). Today it seems to me oriental, sweet very feminine and sexy. I smell ylang - ylang and honey in it! It makes me happy today!

Stormy
Stormy

Absolutely love, love, love this perfume!!

My mother in law brought some back from Paris as a gift to me back around 1985 before it was available in the States...I have been wearing it ever since--almost exclusively! It is my signature scent. I always have to buy it online however these days, Macy's does not carry it in the stores, but they do carry other Givenchy fragrances.

elgab89
elgab89

Don't get me wrong , I love Givenchy! This one, a little bit loud. At least, not for me...

Ysatis by Givenchy 3.82 out of 5 based on 1065 ratings and 195 user reviews

Givenchy Ysatis Eau De Toilette Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Givenchy Ysatis Eau De Toilette Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Givenchy Ysatis Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Givenchy Ysatis Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Givenchy Ysatis fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Givenchy Ysatis, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Ysatis by Givenchy. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Ysatis by Givenchy represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.