Designers » F-H » Chypre Floral « Groups

Cabaret Gres for women

Cabaret Gres for women
dislike

Cabaret Gres for women Pictures

This fragrance is inspired by the French cabaret, the mystical stage featuring theatrical parade of costumes. Cabaret is a metaphor for a spotlight scene, glitter and glamour, beauty and perfection. Following that rhythm, Michael Almairac made this fragrance’s life a cabaret! The opening has a rose, lily-of-the-valley and peony; followed by violet, blue orchid and incense, ending at the base of patchouli, oleander, Indian sandalwood, amber and musk. The designer of the bottle is Thierry Lecoule and it is available as 50 and 100 ml edp. It has been on the market since 2002. The nose behind this fragrance is Michel Almairac.

Peony Lily-of-the-Valley Rose

Violet Incense iris

Amber Patchouli Musk Sandalwood Nerium Oleander

Cannabis Rose
Romance Always Yours

Cabaret Fragrance Reviews

pearlie17
pearlie17

Please buy Tocade instead! Cabaret is similiar but the EDP is faint, it's like a watery shadow of Tocade, without the happy punchiness of the Rochas.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

When my stepdaughter was a very little girl she was eating a very spicy curry and crying between each mouthful. When she was asked what was wrong she said that it was too spicy for her, we offered to remove the dish but she then cried some more and said that she still wanted it!!
This is how I feel about Cabaret. I find that something in the composition makes me uncomfortable and yet, I feel compelled to wear it and to smell it continuously.
There is something very comforting and addictive about this perfume. It reminds me of my Mum and yet she never wore it.
The notes are everything I love in a perfume and yet somehow it doesnt work well together and I get a continuous 'hairspray' kind of vibe going on, which isn't unpleasant and actually it's grown on me to the point where I like it..
This is a very fresh perfume which I feel would be better suited to summertime. I would almost go as far as to say that it's very 'green' to my nose. I do get the woods and most certainly the peony but I get a faint and rather cold rose scent.
This is a very unusual and seductive perfume. It doesn't try too hard but it remains unforgettable, unique and utterly aloof.
The price of this perfume does not reflect its quality which is excellent. Longevity is amazing, I wore it last night, slept in it and I could still smell it loud and clear this morning.
Silage is good too, about 2 feet.
I like it enough to get a FB because I feel that I will crave this perfume from time to time.
Highly recommended as this is as good as any niche or high end of the market scent, but shhh, it'll be our little secret!

mikomaito
mikomaito

As a blind purchase, I did a deep research about the notes and review. Finally, this purfume has never failed me. I feel confident, classic, mysterious and can't help sniffing. Lately, I bumped into Guerlain Idylle. The top notes and middles notes of the two are almost the same. But Gres bewitches me forever since price is affordable

Yohji
Yohji

Great heavy bottle glass, heavy hat-lid, patterns, different
Its like a quirky vase for this intense smoky patchouli rose, will be my substitute for Bond 9 Bryant Park ( both made by Michel Almairac) as they share same character but Cabaret rose less in your face, less "medicinal", but woodie, has ancient dry dusky feel in a drydown. Actually drydown similar with Rochas Soleil woodiness.
By all means its more niche quality rather than designer one.

Loving it, just pity it took me too long to decide and make this successful blind buy.

Lybarra118
Lybarra118

On my skin, rose is the predominant accord and it doesn't change much from beginning to end. But I have no problem with that, especially because, though linear on me, it's still so beguiling. I'm in lust, with a whole lot of love.
The rose is nicely toned by the patchouli. It's not sharp or cold, but it is crisp. The projection is subtle but it never goes into hiding. Although linear, subtle and tame, it still manages to be mysterious and sensual, graceful and elegant. Longevity is 8 hours on skin, 12 on clothes. It makes me feel pampered, important and flawless.

I'm truly captivated by Cabaret Gres.

kugkng
kugkng

Very potent patchouli ! .. Very low key blast of cold vibe that need a couple of time to summarize, .. then the flower came and followed by the sweetness .. Getting well compose !! For me , this one is a kind of scent that need to wait before left a judgement ! .. It does last kinda skin scent on me, not strong silage but still noticeable when I move ,, that I think, it doesn't impressed to someone who like kinda bold fume strong and sweet-candy like!! but for me is just right, really unique when it blend nicely with my skin chemistry .. :) My co-work keep asking me when I wear it .. :)

susieqrj
susieqrj

as mentioned before, this frag ia very sensible and the juice goes bad easily. mine smells like hell, like old and damaged perfume. so, to me, this one is awful.

girl1000
girl1000

The only perfume that immediately made me want to throw up upon smelling it. Tossed it in the garbage.

Holli
Holli

Cabaret is very comfortable. The listed notes don't really match what I get out of it. For me, it's mostly dried crusty flowers, musk and maybe a touch of warm lemon? No rose. The patchouli is very prickly. Maybe that's where the lemon feel is coming from. I think someone who dislikes patch but enjoys herbs might be a fan of this despite the note. Honestly, it smells a little closer to marijuana than to patchouli in my book. My husband wears this occasionally as he finds it soothing. It smells very nice on him and not overtly feminine in the least.

bebekesasar
bebekesasar

Finally, I am able to find Cabaret. There is not much that I can say. I think I smell a lot of patchouli, it indeed is very mysterious. The rose is not sour nor girly like most roses (which I dislike), it blends perfectly into the patchouli. Somewhat powdery and I thought there was vetiver in it. But, most of all, I swear it bears a lot similarities with Cartier Le Baiser Du Dragon.

Talia
Talia

Hahaha, now i saw where from is stolen the idea of Agent Provacateur. Nothing new under the sun. I like it both anyway.

Velvet_Touch
Velvet_Touch

Perfect for day and evening wear. I can feel the musk, incense notes and jasmin, which mix together very well and makes you feel sexy and powerful.

Penny Urn'd
Penny Urn'd

This is the sexy witch who lives next door. While she doesn't scare you, exactly, doesn't she make you just a little bit nervous when she talks to your husband?

Enigma7510
Enigma7510

I used to love this perfume, but I find it just doesn't work with my chemistry anymore. It does have excellent sillage and staying power, considering the reasonable price you can buy it for these days.

blacktaffeta
blacktaffeta

Hmmm ...

The first couple of hours of Cabaret are gorgeous. A lovely warm incensy rose, a little spicy. A total "can't stop sniffing my wrist" experience.

Unfortunately though, the drydown turns very masculine on me. Far too much of the wood and above all, amber. Smells like cheap men's cologne, in fact. Almost as bad as Avon basenotes, and that's saying something.

This makes me sad, because up to that point this is divine. I suppose I could always scrub the remains off after two hours?

Red Theodora
Red Theodora

I have been wanting a good old-fashioned rose scent for awhile now and Cabaret was recommended to me by more than one perfumista of my acquaintance. So since it's very inexpensive on ebay I decided to purchase a full bottle, not a sample(which I usually try to do). My first spray smelt of roses, celery and graham crackers! I'm not kidding! Exactly in that order too. I was to say the least - not excited. Luckily, I never judge a book by it's cover so I patiently waited for the drydown. It's not bad. Not the best I've tried, but it is at least wearable.

naomi.scott
naomi.scott

I Have a feeling that this scent is particularly sensitive to heat so beware. This now leaves an oily residue on my skin and smells mostly of patchouli and burnt rubber and then disappears. It is sad because I used to really love it!

calyx93
calyx93

i'm very impressed. what a sleeper of a scent!

an extraordinarily transparent, incense-smoked rose with just enough supporting florals, patchouli, musk and amber to give a dry, well-seasoned wood effect. i think i read in another review that the wearer likened this scent to the smell of the inside of a piano or antique wooden furniture items like old chests, trunks and wardrobes made of aromatic woods.

there is a wonderful radiance that doesn't seem to overpower even with over-application - the transparency and delicate nature never becomes tiresome. just beautiful and very unisex.

oncidium
oncidium

Lovely scent. I received a bottle as a Christmas gift. The bottle doesn't have the red- orange points on it as in the picture above. Not sure what that means.
It's a very soft incense/rose scent, and spicy at the same time. The rose is a natural almost cinnamon clove rose. Impossible to spray on too heavily. It lasts throughout the day but wears very close to the skin. Dry down is pretty straightforward in a good way as it doesn't get cloying,as some rose scents can. It's very beautiful. Why isn't every department store plugging this fragrance?

joan100
joan100

One of the most underrated perfumes ever. It was probably too good/special so they discontinued it like they usually do! Shame!

mymlan
mymlan

Cabaret is a beautiful and slightly dirty patchouli and rose infusion with an initially strong camphor note from the patch. It is well balanced and perfect in many ways but I miss some sweetness. Maybe some honey or amber would do it?

Scentmad
Scentmad

Once I got over the silly bottle with it's ridiculously slender neck (I feared it would snap like a twig if I didn't handle it carefully) this was a completly unexpected delight. This was recommended by a fellow fume head and I can honestly say before the recommendation I didn't even know it existed. It's delicious, spicy, floral notes are utterly compelling and somewhat addictive. I spent the afternoon sniffing myself - in the politest possible way of course. This is really beautifully balanced, easy to wear, day or evening and all year round. It's also a perfume that is interesting and rather unique, and because it's a well kept secret it feels special to wear. The boon is, it's affordable too. Stock up before it's discovered or reformulated!

And it is misleading to think this shares any characteristics of NR.... it's nothing like it in my opinion and I have both. Cab is way way better and much more interesting.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I agree with TillyWave.

Narciso Rodriguez??? no way. That's misleading!

Anyway, I really love Cabaret and I feel it is one of the most underrated cheapies out there. The stuff can be bought for practically nothing online. It is sometimes compared to other niche rose offerings and it could maybe pass for one if the quality of the ingredients was upped a tiny notch. Here the rose is in equal parts with the peony to my nose and I think it is the reason why it is not as lush as a full-on rose centered fragrance. The patchouli is dry as if the leaves had been dried instead of being used fresh. Something comes to mind when I smell Cabaret... you know the rose that you keep as a souvenir from a couple months ago? All dried up and preserved... frail and stiff, the red color of the petals now a very dark blood red? This is what Cabaret smells like to me. Like a dusty dried up rose. In a good way. I love the discreet powdery touch of the oleander. What a magical addition. Violets and incense together make this scent very dry and take almost all the sweetness of the flowers out. I'm reminded of the nice, unisex dryness of Hippie Rose. They are actually not far cousins to me. (thanks to hadassa for letting me have some of her hippie rose to try!)

If it smells weirdly off to you, you might have a bad bottle. I came across a couple of those and it was VERY unpleasant. It seems this scent does not age very well and goes bad quite quickly, as someone else also mentioned.

Made in 2002, but smells more like 1932 to me.

TillyWave
TillyWave

A lovely, simple fragrance, a rose that is dried and not sweet, reminding me of rosewater, earthy patchouli, sandalwood, and as it dries, a sweet woody musk, with a lot of incense. I really like this.

Now for the damned bottle--really hard to spray!

And I really, really don't think it smells like NR for Her EDT.

AnyaB
AnyaB

I received a sample for testing together with Femme Individuelle by Mont Blanc and I must say they share the smokey-woody undertone, which does not blend well with my skin. I gave it to my mother and it works much better for her. Whereas on me Cabaret is irritating, on her it creates a warm shawl. It makes me think of a pear in the incense smoke. I'd avise it for autumn/winter, but my mother loves it and wears it all the time. :)
It's rather strong, but not overbearing, and you can count on its sillage: even after an hour I can still smell it in the air.

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

Love it. I liked Cabotine (the scent everyone loves to hate) when it came out but found it a bit too too on the skin. Eventually I was only occasionally using a drop of it but even that was giving me a headache. Cabaret is gentler and woodier, and doesn't club you over the head like Cabotine, though you can tell they're from the same house; they are 'scent cousins'.

Does not age well though. For some reason the Gres frags all lose something with age, like you can sense the edges of the scent but something from its heart has gone. So it doesn't go off as such, but it just loses something.

joliecat
joliecat

I have the current EDP. On my skin, at first, it's a blast of patchouli with a crispy edge. Then the musk and rich sandalwood take over. A few minutes later, the florals emerge with a touch of amber.

I am suprised that I have become addicted to this fragrance. It's not my usual style. I thought it would be powdery and more floral, with strong incense. BUT on my skin, these notes are subtle. Incense here is VERY gentle, toned down. The patchouli is the most prominent on me.

I LOVE Cabaret because it dances and changes on my skin every 10 minutes. Patchouli and sandalwood are strong, then they move to the background, to let the florals and musk come out to perform. All day long, this dance continues, both strong and subtle, off and on, constantly moving.

Powdery ? Well, on me, it's a chic, gentle hint of powder....not the thick makeup or talc powder I was expecting.

Cabaret is very long lasting, smooth, interesting , rich chypre, playful, unique. Lasts all day on my skin and forever on my clothes. Silage is moderate to soft.

Strangely, I think this is the first Full Bottle of perfume that I will use so much that I will have to replace it soon. I'm shocked and delighted to be able to enjoy this Cabaret so much !

Cabaret, for my taste, is a pretty much perfect perfume. On my skin Cabaret mostly smells like patchouli, incense and tobacco. I find the patchouli more peppery/woody than dark and dirty. I also get nuances of makeup (powder and lipstick) but not in a super obvious way. I wouldn't call Cabaret a perfume that "smells like makeup".
Cabaret manages to be distinctly feminine without being particularly sweet or flowery. The rose isn't a major player on my skin, more like a wash of rosewater. The iris is more powdery than floral. More earthy than sweet.
This is fragrance that manages to be sexy and even a bit edgy without loudly screaming "LOOK AT ME!". For those of us who like darker scents but don't need/want sillage bombs Cabaret is an excellent choice.

minalistic
minalistic

it's very much alike to Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely,
also Narciso Rodriguez series, but in my point of view at least Cabaret is much better than Lovely.
It has this core of great flowers which Lovely doesn't have.

stacia79
stacia79

It is a rose chypre, somewhat melancholy in feeling but still alive. Like a ghost. One thing I love about it is how long it lasts on my skin and how it gets stronger and more beautiful at the same time as it is dying away. I see that this has the poisonous nerium oleander listed as a note. Is that the elusive quality that makes me keep sniffing? I also see iris, violet, and lily of the valley are included. These flowers always conjure up the garden of my childhood home, another reason this fragrance is bittersweet to me. When at last it fades to the end, what remains is a smudge of burnt out rosewood incense, the way my parent's brass Buddha incense holder smelled when I lifted the tiny top off. What makes me crave Cabaret is the way it seems so personal to me. It's as if someone read my diary and then crafted this perfume. Cabaret is a great name...it also reminds me of my theatre background. Fresh soft florals, mostly rose at the top, and the base is a very dry clay smell. It is cool and elegant with a transparent, almost dusty smell. I think of the atmosphere backstage at every show I have been involved in. Antique wood counters in the dressing room, waxy makeup and powder strewn across them. Vases and vases of roses and lilies. That musky smell of fresh sweat from dancers just coming off stage. When I put on Cabaret, I do get a tiny bit of that opening night excitement. It's so compelling it is almost too good to be worn.

courant
courant

Lucia Turin commented favourably on this perfume. I concur. It has been described as smelling like 'the inside of a piano' I get oud in the basenote and something intentionally musty in the tradition of L'Air de Rien. I totally get it, but having a different reference base I would call it the inside of a very old stationery warehouse where the ghosts write with quills on fine parchment. I adore the scent of stationery. Cabaret is ethereal and exhibits longing; it remembers lust but isn't obsessed by it. Summary. True Rose scent, smoke and ashes momentarily, at the opening. Ecclesiastical Refinement. I wear it often, winter and summer and have a back-up bottle. A fave, then.

pierson
pierson

Cabaret came in the mail today, a blind buy that proves to be a winner. Oh, I do like this. It's not a sweet girly-scent, like candy or fruit, but sophisticated, warm, sensual, very much a woman's scent.

There's patchouli, and a lot of it, but it's not abrasive or in your face; there, but smooth-edged. I get no peony but do get the rose, soft and subtle. Incense, amber, sandalwood--a recipe sure to please me. It sounds like it would be heavy and depressing, but it's not, at all. The rose is always there, but more a spicy rose, not a really sweet one. This is far different from the popular florals, fruity or candy scents so popular now, and that's precisely why I like it so much. Those kind of scents have never really appealed to me; I like spicy, woody scents and they work for me. I don't want to smell like a marshmallow. :)

I would never have found this perfume (or actually, most of those I do have) if not for this site. It's fascinating reading the responses people have to scents, the stories they tell.

Fizzy
Fizzy

Oh, a very nice surprise!! I dared to buy blind only based of the reviews and don´t regret!

Very similar to SJP Lovely, I would say, a tamer version of Lovely, if you find Lovely too strong. Yeah, I would say, Lovely is a big, stronger clone from Cabaret. Cabaret seems to be timeless, Lovely would be in in some years old-fashioned. When I buy a new bottle of this kind of scent, I prefer Cabaret for Lovely.
Perfect for the office, perfect for winter, spring, day and night. A cold scent with 5 hours longevity and good silage. You are getting recognized as perfumed girl/lady.

As I love Lovely, I love Cabaret (even more, because it is not too strong).
Some of us say, it smells like Narcisso Rodrigues for her - no, this one smells thousand male better!

kerrythorney
kerrythorney

This perfume was a blind buy, I loved the look of the bottle.

Arrived yesterday and the bottle is lovely, intricate and different.

The scent itself was completely different to how i imagined.. (cheap, maybe a bit old fashioned).. It is a strong beautiful and intricate Rose scent. Peony creates that POW.. and after dry down it becomes a bit more mysterious.. out comes the amber and incense.. Its feminine with an edge. It smells expensive, but remains current. Its sexy. It smells rich and is definitely fun and confident!

I fell in love at first sniff. I just love when a perfume suprises you, and this one does!

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

The bottle and the smell of Cabaret reminds me of the roaring 20's....lots flapper hats, Marcel waves and night clubs where ladies smoked their clove cigarettes and went home smelling.....like a mix of sweat, maleness (his sweat, cologne, after shave and hair pomade all in one) and cigars...it isn't bad but you do want to wash it off you as soon as possible. It starts out very strong and does develop into a faint soft smell but I just don't know if I have the patience to wait.

Happy Perfuming! ♥

Footnote: I wore this for a day and I think it IS worth the wait. I took a nap with this on and my bedding smelled gorgeous. I went from like to love. ♥

PhaedraRose
PhaedraRose

A blind buy based on lots of glowing reviews, notes I enjoy and a pretty bottle to add to my collection. Unfortunately it has not gone well this time for me ! I get a blast of intense medicinal patchouli and pepper (not listed). There is no warmth to this scent, the roses are old and crumbled and the woods are dry sticks. Even the faint peony in the opening doesn't have the fresh,rosy quality of a peony but smells flat and synthetic. I don't see this as a soft scent and could not describe it as floral at all, this is definitely not how I would interpret a Cabaret-it is more evocative of an old haunted Gothic mansion.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

Gres Cabaret is the product of an international swap that I waited over 6 weeks for. Today is the day I finally get to try this coveted beauty, and I’m a little anxious! The bottle is lovely, standing tall and elegant like some crystal version of the Eifel Tower, with a wide base and narrow neck.

I reviewed the notes, and had forgotten how highly rated the notes of patchouli and incense were—2 notes which I now know do not work for my skin! I feel a little foolish, wondering why I wanted this fragrance sooo badly, but then I read the reviews and am reminded and hopeful….maybe….

First spritz is patchouli and incense. It’s actually quite similar to Nanette by Nanette Lepore; although this is a brighter, “happier” incense (and I think where Nanette has cedar, this is the patchouli). If Nanette was a melancholy beauty lounging despondently after the show, this is the fragrance before the show starts—excited and maybe a little giddy before the curtain rises.

Rather than darkening (as Nanette did), Gres Cabaret seems to lighten as I wear it. After about 40 minutes, the rose and lily are making their appearance…the curtain rises, the spot light comes on…. The rose is fairly prominent, and it is a nice citrusy-woody-green-crisp rose. I can sense the musk and sandalwood, always such wonderful supporting players the smooth notes over so well, at least to my nose. By an hour and half, the patch and incense are nearly gone, leaving just a lingering depth behind a lovely sophisticated floral fragrance.

After about 2 hours, I can smell more lily. The incense and patchouli have made a bit of a reappearance, like our dancer has taken herself out to the back garden for a smoke…or a tryst…. It’s not a garden in daytime, but a garden at night, cool and heady with the smell of damp earth mingling with roses, lilies and smoke.

With the dry down (3 hours), it reminds me of Lovely by SJP. While I Lovely did not work for me (disintegrated in minutes on my skin), somehow this combination of floral-patchouli-musk is reminiscent of that fragrance—with slightly more lily. For those who love Nanette by Nanette Lepore, or Lovely—you may give this a try.

I feel elegant and sophisticated in this fragrance. It is not girly, nor too dark. It is a well balanced evening floral. At the moment, my skin is dry and the weather is cold. I am not sure that this would work well in warmer months, as it could become overpowering. I’m wearing it during the day, but think it’s better suited for the evening. Sillage is moderate, longevity so far is >3 hours.

Mora
Mora

i loved it very much , soft, deep and classy ,
perfect for floral scents lovers

passionata20
passionata20

02. december 2012

I am very undecided about this one. A friend of mine wanted this perfume and i bought iat for her actually, but now i don´t know if i should keep it to myself maybe?

Upon sniffing it from the bttle i got an overload of dirtiest patchouli so i waited quite a long time until i finally decided to try it on my skin. You see back in the days, when it just came out i sniffed it also from the bottle and it i remember it smelled nothing like strong patchouli to me, so i was confused.
Well, i have sprayed it and indeed upon the opening the only thing i can smell is a strong mix of rose and patchouli. Nothing else, since those two notes overpowering everything else. Glad the this awful opening fades away quite quickly. The opening part is like a stage of the cabaret, with a low light, old stage, sofas which haven´t been cleaned for a long time and have inheireted all the smells of the customers. Where is the chypre, everyone is talking about???
Then after a short blast of glitter in the openeing it becomes a quiet chypre indeed with patchouli undertone. Funny, that when i smell it from my skin, all i can smell is a trong black tea, but still i feel a cloud of patchouli surrounding me. It smells indeed like a behind-the-curtains space, where all the wood decorations are stored, freshly sawed wood maybe and a hint of paninted surfaces. The dancers who have finished their act have brought a bit of smell from the other part of the stage in front of the curtains, so rose and patchouli are still here.
In general i agree that this is a chemical mix of the notes, but somehow the undertone notes make me want to sniff my skin all the time, i wish that the patchouli notes weren´t that strong here. They give a bit of disbalance to the composition.

This perfume has 2 sides: one is heavy patchouli-rose and other one is incense-peony. I am still trying to figure it out if it will become a choir on my skin or a bunch of notes screaming in dissonance together. But one thing is for sure - I am intrigued and it would be great scent for fall! This perfume has a very delicate composition, but just ruined by it´s opening. One of those rare perfumes, which smell very vintage (no powder here!) but made after 2000´s.

P:S: I don´t know if there are 2 editions of this fragrance, since my bottle is not like the one in the picture, The upper part of it is not red, but clear, and the box is not holographic, but just a plain coloured. I guess mine is later edition, since minis of "Cabaret" have red upper part as well. I´ve seen both versions on sale and i wonder if they smell different????? ANYONE KNOWS?

UPDATE: Well, after wearing it several times i decided not to keep it. It is nice but i don´t feel a balance in here and since i have sooooo many perfumes i definitly have ones that are much much better. I think "chypre-patchouli" just doesn´t work for me. And i can´t forgive the weak lasting power. BUT i will go for a mini of this in original "red-upper-part" bottle to see if they are different.

nastyamason
nastyamason

Cabaret is a patchouli rose perfume, slightly similar to JHAG Lady Vengeance. However, it is less sweet and less feminine. If I have not tried Lady Vengeance, I probably would have liked Cabaret but in comparison it loses. Sure, it is much less expensive fragrance with good sillage and longevity, however, being familiar with LV, I am not fond of this scent.

Nelken
Nelken

Several reviewers having desribed this as a rather mysterious and warm scent, I decided to buy it unsniffed online...and have been strongly disappointed.
Not as far as the quality, lasting power and complexity of the scent are concerned. They are indeed very good.
But Cabaret turned out to be (on me) a vivacious, luminous,extroverted, airy and almost transparent chypre.

I love chypres, but I guess I have a bit of an old school attitude towards them. I like them full bodied, smoky,dangerous and dark ( think Mitsouko,Cabochard or Rose Cardin).

I would say Cabaret falls into the "21st century chypre revival" category that includes NR For Her,Guerlain Idylle and YR Comme Une Evidence.
They all are rather citrusy fruity, to the point of sourness sometimes, and that is what bothers me.

I really appreciate that this slight acidity becomes less noticeable after a while, which enables the very subtle rose to emerge.

truffles
truffles

Really disappointed in this. Had high hopes after reading the reviews.
On me, this is a cup of strong black tea that's long been sitting cold.
Added to the tea are a weird peppery/plastic top note, and a drop of a synthetic floral oil. All underpinned with a dash of oily patchouli.
It all eventually settles into a one-dimensional, synthetic 'rose' and the whole thing just smells unremarkable and cheap to me. A bit of the mentioned incense might have rescued this for me but I don't detect any at all.
I'm really surprised at the hype surrounding this perfume (Luca Turin bigged it up apparently) and I don't get the comparison to AP, which I love, or the AP-like Lady Vengeance, at all.
I DO love the bottle (seems I'm the only one haha!) - I find it lovely! Such a shame I don't love the contents.
UPDATE! For me, this fares better in the open air (Winter here in UK). Far along the drydown, Cabaret transforms and does indeed transform into Lady Vengeance or something very similar, so I've changed my opinion on that. A very long wait and a strange topnote symphony to get through first though - surely a great perfume should be great on every level!

Αλεξάνδρα
Αλεξάνδρα

A vintage rose, spiced up in a Parfum Sacre and Lady Vengeance fashion. It is transparent, and its darkness is somehow evanescent, giving way to a soft rose note that lingers quietly for quite a long time.

Do I get compliments when I wear it? A lot... But regardless of its appeal, I will have to give it away because, admittedly, it smells a bit dated on me; as if you open an old wooden chest, and the clothes inside need some airing...

Up for grabs then, and let me know if you have an interesting item to swap!

Edit: I retrieve my offering; it's a keeper!

Matt Oldham

It might not be as quiet as it seems when one is wearing: people smell this on me all the time and say they really like it, like closing-the-eyes-and-sniffing-deep face-making like. More inoffensive than "close" is my guess. As with all perfumes I like, I wish I could smell on somebody else because no matter how much I love something it always smells more amazing on the street worn by someone else. I'm not sure why.

And I adore Timbuktu but Cabaret is just as good and very similar and 1/6 the price.

AliaAtreides
AliaAtreides

Very classy, warm and velvety. Deep and sexy, soft yet intense, with an ever so slight edge of acidiousness.

wdytoab
wdytoab

I remember smelling Cabaret as a teenager and always wanting it. Now 13 years later I finally bought a bottle and I couldn't be happier. I can't believe how inexpensive this scent is; it smells refined and luxurious and is rather subtle. I get compliments on it all the time. It works well in the day or night.

Goodfortune5758
Goodfortune5758

I bought this scent while working at a local perfume shop. It's different. It reminds me of when I was in Paris (years ago). I don't wear it a lot, but It is a fragrance I use when I am feeling a change in season. This is also a good mix with Tom Ford Blonde Violet

rockrose

I've been wearing Cabaret for years and even purchased a large back-up bottle to ensure that I never run out of this one. Reading the list of ingredients, you would think that this is a heavy hitter, but it's not. Not at all. I would even go so far as to call it a skin scent. For me, it doesn't suit the high heels and red lipstick image that others conjure up. I find it very earthy and relaxing and a bit sensual.

It's great for layering, too, toning down fragrances that are too sweet or shrill. It costs next to nothing, but you'd never know it. Two thumbs up!

judyk
judyk

Lovely, simply lovely. On me it's all rose, rose, rose, some incense and a touch of cedar shavings. Gorgeous.

But it sits so close to my skin. I would have clicked "love" rather than "like" if only it had more oomph. I only have a mini splash bottle - maybe the spray would be better...

It's so easy to dismiss a fragrance based purely upon the fact that it's cheap. There's always that presumption that it can't be anything that spectacular, so if you're anything like me, you might stick your nose up in the air and keep walking. Cabaret should have stopped me dead in my tracks.

These days, the rose and patchouli combo seems a tad overdone, but back when this fragrance was first released, it was relatively new. Cabaret is perhaps not as intense as the more renowned patchouli and rose fragrances on the market, but I don't consider that a fault. I like that Cabaret sits closer to the skin.

The opening is fairly straight-forward. The rose accord is rich and oily, and the patchouli smells green and earthy. On the skin, Cabaret feels rather elegant and smooth, with the slightest hint of sensuality. Let me put it this way, this fragrance smells a lot more expensive than it actually is.

The heart and drydown are very similar to the top notes. Amber provides an element of syrupy warmth, while a touch of spicy musk and incense balances this fragrance out and adds extra depth.

Gres comes up with some really interesting scents. It's a pity that they aren't readily available or well-known. I have only positive things to say about this brand.

Despite Cabaret's subtle nature, this fragrance has great lasting strength. I would recommend it for wear during Autumn and Winter, and even on the occasional Spring day. I personally wear it often as a date fragrance as I feel it adds to the romantic mood.

magnumgirl51
magnumgirl51

I love this scent! I get compliments all day long although I don't usually detect it after 4-5 hours. I don't understand the bad reviews about the bottle; it not beautiful, but I don't think the bottle matters too much as long as you like what it contains.
I purchased this at Marshalls for under $20 and I hope I can find it again really soon. It's especially great for summer. It reminds me of Avon 50s Glam, but much better.

MarkStar
MarkStar

A light, effervescent rose.
Light and airy, maybe even too light for me...
Others fittingly call it transparent.

I do like it though.

empressevie
empressevie

What a wonderful, evocative surprise. At first spray...ohoh..too rose filled. But then, over time...delightful, delightful and most hauntingly captivating.

Soft roses, and incense and wood and a wafting power that just keeps lingering and lingering. I see Edith Piaf wearing this, maybe even Marlena, or Catherine Deneuve; it is delicate, but robust, sexy, but very very gentle. And...very european.

An absolute winner...repeat bottles coming my way!!

OlfactoryOverload
OlfactoryOverload

On my skin I get woody rose, gorgeous smoky incense and musk. It smells of mystery and it's sexy in its own right.

I can picture this worn in a smoky moulin rouge type of atmosphere.

I like this one. It has great sillage and it lasts a very long time on the skin.

cakance
cakance

Can somebody tell me if this perfume whit another bottle is the same? Maybe it's reformulated? Or isn't? :)

Matt Oldham

This is really great: a sort of Timbuktu at $30 for 100ml. The similarity to Timbuktu really shows why T. is described as a transparent woody floral...I didn't really get the floral part before. What a great surprise. Excellent gift if your budget is $28 or so. Why can't all perfumes this good be so reasonably priced? Too bad about the bottle though.

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

Reminds me of Montale's oud queen rose. Although I like this one much better as it is softer version. This is a retro rose that is underrated IMO, rose and woods. I see the similarities to AP but by no means identical. AP has a disturbing note that I can't stand that is not present in this composition. Overall a nice scent that is not ordinary, quite sophisticated! IMO Glad I got it for a good deal. Not sure about projection or staying power though as I just got it and haven't worn it out yet!

johngreenink
johngreenink

I was curious to give this perfume a sniff - because it's inexpensive I got a bottle to try it out. Generally speaking, it's a nice, light flowery fragrance with a touch of spices. It is Alternatively sweet, rosey and earthy, with a warm and gentle dry down. It's biggest drawback is that it never makes a very strong impression. It goes on VERY light, and fades to something lighter. I would recommend this for those mornings when you want to put on something very versatile and inoffensive. It won't turn heads, but will ensure that you smell good.

FunkyTomo
FunkyTomo

I didn't think id like this based on the reviews , but i am pleasantly surprised. I should add i didn't expect much as other Gres perfumes Ive tested i have not liked that much.

A nice vintage - vibe rose is what i'm getting on my skin. Liking at a lot. Tester vial came in a fragrantica swap , it would be rude not to buy a bottle at the ridiculously low prices i see it selling for. Doesn't smell cheap or "Old" to me , but each to there own to those who don't like it.

Ill wear this on one of the rare occasions when i get my vintage dress and jewels on , complete with a mink stole (a real mink with feet):) Seriously , Vintage "Dahhling" .. Not Ghetto!!!

( EDIT - The part about "mink with feet" was in response to another review , that said "this perfume smells like a little old ghetto lady that wears a mimk with feet , and she stinks " !!!! That review has disapeared now ? Anyway , thats the reason id wrote this , as it seems a bit crazy if you were not aware of the negative review ! )

gerani-mum
gerani-mum

I bought this fragrance in the hope that it would be somewhat reminiscent of the exquisite (yet expensive!) Soir de Lune. Imagine my disappointment upon that first spray when my young daughter said; "You smell lovely mummy, a bit like wet paint!".

However, after just a few minutes..incense appears~combined with a hint of fallen leaves...next~ a suggestion of ground white pepper, followed by an ethereal, woodsy rose.

If you are looking for a heady, skanky rose, I would suggest the gloriously obnoxious Agent Provocateur, but, if you are looking for something vaguely similar, yet more eloquent and well behaved~ this could be the one........

Cabaret is a class act.

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

I love movies like "Cabaret" and "Moulin Rouge" and had an idea what scent-genie I wanted to be in this bottle when I bought this un-sniffed, based on the ingredients and the info about this scent. My idea? Dark, musky, smokey with an undertone of florals that come to live like the act on stage. Sounds good, yes?
But; when I finally sniffed it, it smelled as if they had deluded Cabochard into a 'harmless' version. It is so similar in a bad way that I propose they change the name into: "a little Cabochard Cabaret smoke that is very fleeting". That the bottle is very awkward to handle is one thing, but that they just filled it with a deluded favorite of mine, in another. If you 'smell' this differently, I am glad for you; as far as I can tell: If you want that smokey Cabaret scent. Just get Cabochard. It's cheaper and you get more ML & value for your money, plus the bottle isn't so awkward to handle.

lalig
lalig

I used to love it so much when it first came out, it was my signature scent, totally intoxicating roses and wood. but i think it was reformulated since then, the last bottle i bought a few years ago at a department store had the smell of nail polish and vinegar.

Beatriz2222
Beatriz2222

Sooo sexy and very long-lasting ;)

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

It was a blind buy...I paid $15.00 for a 3.4 bottle. It was cheap and it seemed like an interesting frag. Indeed it is; it's an ethnic smell; dried roses, musk and incense. When time passes, it leaves a powdery, spicy & musky lasting smell. I like it. It's very feminine and unique.

mchell4
mchell4

I got this perfume months ago , I love it! The scent lasts but more of a day perfume. I like strong powerfull scents, this is at first but settles. Rose being the main smell but kind of woody rose. Not powerfull enough for me but is a nice girly scent

Juma
Juma

I love patchuli and roses but this fragrance has a smell of plastic and sweet body odour, at least on me.
Altough I had big expectations.
Edit;
what was wrong with me? At second testing I find it very, very lovely rosy incence with resins and patchouli?! My fav. ingirdents! Maybe it was my body chemistry. Great scent!

galex
galex

I did not expect much from Grès but this is surprisingly nice. A fresh and clean smell. Good summer scent.One of my best blind buys.

Migalex
Migalex

I like Cinsot's comment: simply smashing. It is actually. I only would like it to be stronger and to have better projection. To me it smells of lipstick and ashtrays. Very interesting and Smashing indeed.

gazelle
gazelle

Ordered it because the notes were intriguing and the reviews were many balloons worth; plus, the price was very affordable. I'm still in the delicate faded rose and peony lemony opening and expect much in the next hour or so. I too have a clear bottle. Is this a reformulation because of the oakmoss note?

Trvevil
Trvevil

I'm nearly out of my Agent Provocateur. So I felt like I needed something rosey and naughty til I can afford a huge bottle again. So I found this one. Read reviews and kind of decided I like it. So today I got a whole 3.4 bottle of it and couldn't wait to try it out.

First impressions. Well, the bottle is pretty vintage and not that bad actually. Mine doesn't have the red top, instead, it's all transparent glass with plastic red top thingy. [Still, it's edp] It's a little bonkers because red glass coloring would hide that fact that thin neck of the bottle is not filled with juice. Juice is of champagne color and if you turn the bottle upside down... it really looks like a glass full of champagne ._. Its cap is heavy, made of metal.

Second impression. 2 sprays in the air to make sure I don't get the icky few sprays of a new frag that's been sitting somewhere for some time and I'm all set. I sprayed twice to my wrist. It sprays richly and leaves stains under the sprayer. Skin looks pretty oily. I get a blast of patchouli. I'd admit that I'm kinda got bored with patchouli lately, but this one is kinda velvety and nice actually. Next is rose addition. It's pretty dry and smoky. Incense here creates smookiness, it's not too churchy on me. It smells of dry red, dead rose mummy and gorgeous old wood and smoke. The kind of furniture found in a bar, soaked with booze. It's so effing original and bizarre and quite on my way. If you smoke, it totally compliments this fragrance. I mean, its suitable for a smoker. My only complaint is lasting power. With such notes I expected great lasting power and sillage ...!!! Gone from my wrist in 6 hours. I don't sense it even on my sleeve! But there's a bit left in hair. Argh...

Summary. Transparent yet dry and solid at the same time. Very original and seems to sit close to skin. Such a liar, I bet it has some sillage still, only I'm not aware of it while wearing it. Fantastic price, but lasting power very average. Maybe it will unlock some aspects of it [incl. lasting power plx] with some time, because the very first test can be very different from the experience of wearing a frag for a while. It sometimes happens.

krmarich
krmarich

This is a dry, dusty theatre with some dim lights illuminating posters of festive productions long passed.

Its somber, rainy day reflections on those things we always cherish and always seem to slip away. Its romantic, yet to be worn alone.

Dry roses with smokey incense. The other notes act like so much faded glitter...

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt
Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

I just purchased a 1.7 for a total of 8 usd's ... so excited, it's a blind buy, but I'm sure I'll love it. (knock on wood) i often blind buy, and I have not once been disappointed! I will report back. Yes I know there's always a first.. but I'm thinking this wont be it. lol

reporting back --- I absolutely love this perfume it's exactly wht I was looking for, and just as always I have fragrantica members to thank for helping me find this hidden gem. IT's smells of deep true /authentic red roses... with smoke inscence, pathcouli, smells like the perfect nauty little red rose ;p

The longevity is AMAZING! last nearly a full 24 hours give or take... I'm thoroughly impressed by this perfume and the bottle looks nicer in person a great vintage feel to it, so glad to add it to my collection :)

cinsot
cinsot

Simply Smashing.

A naughty rose so hot it sizzles. Cabaret hisses and sputters in deliciously wayward fashion. She's a wickedly wanton wench on my skin: musky rose combusted into smouldering incense. A tender powdery heart gently diffused the oily richness of the increasingly exotic base.

The best twenty bucks I have ever spent in my life!

Cabaret can stand tall among The Greats.

jtd
jtd

Transparent, woody rose. I’ve seen Cabaret described this way a number of times. I’ll take the transparent, and even though I can’t really describe how a fragrance is transparent, Cabaret is. I do smell a boozy rose, particularly at the opening. But overall, Cabaret smells of incense, lily of the valley and musk. There are certainly many elements that I’m leaving out, but these seem to be the key notes. They bounce off each other and form some interesting combinations as they evolve---green apple candy? Badgely Mischka-style fruity floral?

The early drydown (a fairly long stretch) smells of lily of the valley combined with the fruit-like sweetness of musk. Later in the drydown, the tone is a cool cedar-like, incensy musk. This last bit stays close to the skin but lasts the length of the day.

Again, I have trouble with the word transparent here, as I can’t really nail down what I mean. But here’s a point of comparison: Sarah Jessica Parker’s Lovely, similarly a musky, woody floral is blunt and gooey, whereas Cabaret feels coated in a glossy clear lacquer. The visual analogy of a lacquer or varnish, a clear layer that enhances or qualifies the color and appearance of what’s underneath, is probably close to the idea here. My bet is that there is a particular use of aromachemicals that focuses or directs the nose to the other elements of the fragrance, perhaps similar to the way aldehydes modify a floral. However it’s done, the effect is lasting and lovely.

Jomoves
Jomoves

Wondering what this hidden gem smells like?

Imagine a dark, full black rose just at the height of its bloom. Add to this a vintage leather glove, one Cuban cigar and a chipped whiskey glass still half-full and bearing a trace of red lipstick worn by Gypsy Rose Lee.

Place all of these items under a bell jar and leave them to sweat until condensation runs down the inside of the glass.

Lift the jar and prepare to be disgusted - then willingly seduced.

I think Luca Turin said this could be a good rose fragrance for a man. I find the first hour or so to be way too "feminine," but once that delicate, powdery rose is gone, the drydown is unisex, IMO. I actually like this one better than Le Labo's Rose 31, which is too animalic and dry/woody incense oriented for me. Cabaret strikes the right balance. It's a bit simple but otherwise quite good, and considering the price these days, it's a real bargain. I think I'd prefer Iquitos when seeking a "masculine" rose fragrance, but if I could get a bottle of Cabaret for $1 or $2 at a yard sale, I'd snap it up for sure (and I'd at least keep a large decant for myself).

vialon3
vialon3

Ah, the first spritz.... Shall I find ways to run away? Or alter those first moments? No, not with this one!

Cabaret is a softer, more gentle potion though (to my nose) very similiar to Aromatics Elixir Clinique. Both are a bit exotic, cozy and warm. However, the first Cabaret spritz is as wonderful as what is to follow; a delicate and creamy dry down. That said, the sillage on cool summer nights is great! It stays sweet, loyal and is long lasting on my skin. A beautiful perfume choice to take me into the Fall season.

This scent was heavy on the patchouli side. I found it too strong and harsh. Somehow it was bitter and unpleasant.

xstitchalanna
xstitchalanna

I really like this scent. To me I didn't smell anything but woody notes and maybe some amber in the dry down. It lasted about 5 hours before I had to respray. I really like it. I don't smell any floral in this and I would have called it a woody oriental. I think this is best suited for evening wear.

Inspire0111
Inspire0111

I expected something good when I saw the notes. Sadly, this perfume failed to impress me. I don't get much of the floral notes. Pachouli and insence is what my nose picks out mostly. It is not bad, it is better than Cabotine. But I don't like it anywhere near enough to want to buy it at this stage.

paiged98@gmail.com
paiged98@gmail.com

I really think this one has gotten a bad wrap. I actually sprayed on and fell in love. I get nothing to of the awful descriptions only a delicious, can't get enough feeling. I would describe this as a sexy scent. The scent of being backstage with ladies, costumes, lipstick and powder all in one. The incense, peony, iris and oleander give such a unique scent. Okay so the bottle is cheesy and the scent does not last as long as I would like, so carry it with you and reapply, big deal. The price point is good so you might just have to buy more often. There is absolutely no smell of cleaner or bugspray, maybe people should stop smelling these things before they test (ha-ha), kidding. Really, give it a try, I can't get enough. Love, Love and incredibly unique.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

I had high hopes for this fragrance; chypre is my favourite family, and the notes are interesting. However, I was very disappointed. The scent was sharp, bitter, strong and unfortunately reminded me of a spray disinfectant cleaner. There was no development, no happy change to make the fragrance palatable, just a strong harsh scent. Not one for me!

Vamy69
Vamy69

I am not sure what to think about this perfume. I tested it today at TJ MAXX and at first spray all I could think of was "old lady." It most certainly was different than anything I have smelled before. I can't really say it was horrible but it was not my type of perfume. It was just a bit too floral or something I really can't pin point what it was that turned me off but I just did not like it. No offense to its fans....just not my type.

hantafromsanta
hantafromsanta

Strong citrusy freshness.. to me this so smells like window cleaning spray or WC Ente Citrus (my favourite toilet cleanser), just a tad less chemical.
Please no offense, but that unfortunately is what arrives in my nose, while I was quite excited to try this.

After several minutes it gets a little more rich & complex than that, and a few small roses start to blossom, along with other nice flowers.. which I could appreciate, but they are still drenched with sharp citrus house cleaner.
Quite a scrubber for me.

cloyd42
cloyd42

Gres is a chameleon of a perfume house: the juices are good but there doesn't seem to be a unifying vision or signature note like many of the great houses (any regular at this site can certainly recognize a Guerlain or a Goutal with the first sniff). Consider: the great Cabochard is hot and confrontational, the Hommage line is rich and eccentric, Cabotine and Caline are bright, sweet and sparkly.

I find Cabaret cool and elegant. After it opens with rose and violet it settles into a fairly linear scent that's rich with peony and amber. There's something old fashioned about this scent in the best possible way: this seems to be the perfume that Barbara Stanwyck would pick to please herself rather than a man, which would make it even more alluring to that man. (Think "The Lady Eve".) I have two complaints about this scent: the bottle is clumsy and easily dropped and I wish it would last longer.
Sillage: fairly tight
Durability: so-so
Fabulosity: 6/10
Price to value ratio: very good

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

Hi
How fresh this is ;) And flowery too. I purchased this blindly and I will not definitely regret my shopping ;D. WOW This can be used everyday or - Night. If I would consider how the Spirit of Fire smells, this would be something like him/her ;) *gigles*
Though I wished this would last more hours on my skin.

parfumeguru
parfumeguru

I have to admit that somewhat ugly bottle shape along with sniffing from the spray (I know :)) prevented me paying for the full price at the specialty fragrance shop. (I believe they do not have a return policy at all)
However, when I saw an opened box at TJMaxx I sprayed and walked around and pleasantly surprised.

Unless not having any red color on the bottle means it is fake, then you can't beat $18..:)

This one becomes nicer and nicer.

moly
moly

What can I write that wasn't written before? I love it, a perfect scent for sunny autumn days, warm, nostalgic and sweet. I bought a mini bottle and I think soon I will buy a bigger one.

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

Cabaret is chypre and smells like a smoky cabaret at times. It does have an old wood smell as mentioned in other reviews. This is not bad but may seem different after the fruity-floral trend of todays perfumes. I like this woodsy smell but it might not be for everybody. This is why Cabaret is available at a discount , it's not mainstream and one that everyone could wear. I am reminded somewhat of Ma Griff another true chypre perfume from years ago. Cabaret doesn't smell like Ma Griff but if you like a chypre type perfume like Ma Griff then Cabaret might appeal to you as well.
The bottle of Cabaret is different too, I'm not sure if it's a harlequin look or the flames of hell that they were trying to represent with the red and white design. The cap is hard to get off too. If they had made the bottle design a little better and got Liza Minnelli to promote Cabaret then this would have sold better and not wound up in a discount store. It is a more sophisticated perfume that might have been popular in the 1920 to 1940s era.
Sadly, it's not so popular in today's perfume market. If you like chypre perfume then ignore the odd bottle and try Cabaret.

Aredore
Aredore

Gres fragrances have this habit of coming on too strong. The often bad topnotes come screaming into the room like extra-concentrated air freshner. The fruit in famous Cabotine is a case in point; the drydown is all pretty green springtime freshness but getting there can be an ordeal. In this case, the knockout opener is an evil, acid and spicy peony I’ve come to call “eau de sneeze,” since this is what I do every time I spay. (EDIT: the sneezing stopped after about a month.)

Fortunately the smell changes within five minutes and Cabaret becomes a soft, but dry, rose potpourri that becomes more woody and dark as the perfume matures and the florals fade. The base is a lovely, creamy floral musk with cedar and patchouli that has an air of familiarity about it.

Cabaret is close-wearing and persistent, lasting for several hours after application. It is also affordable. A three-ounce bottle can often be purchased for under twenty dollars.

EDIT: In the months since writing this review, Cabaret has become my absolute favorite fragrance. Floral without being sweet, smoky without being heavy, I am hard pressed to think of an occasion it is not appropriate for. I no longer sneeze during the "pink pepper" opening and this juice radiates like nobody's business. This stuff just loves me and I love it. To think, I almost didn't buy this. I can't recommend it enough.

soupygirl3

I've been wearing Cabaret since buying it. I love it, it fades too quickly though and needs to be reapplied several times during the day--which I don't mind because it allows me to smell it "fresh" again. I HATE the bottle which is clumsy & cumbersome to use and ugly to look at. It's bottom heavy as well and I always fear I'm going to drop it. Also, the cap is annoying and comes off easily. Other than that if another bottle comes along at Marshall's I'll snap it up.

Speaking of ugly bottles, I steered clear of Gres CABARET for years under the erroneous assumption that nothing worth wearing could possibly be contained within such a garish bottle.

How wrong I was! CABARET is beautiful patchouli floral fragrance which I compelling. I had no idea that the designer was Michel Almairac, who also produced Bond no 9 BRYANT PARK (which I love). But come to think of it, there is a vague connection between the two: it's the patchouli presentation. Yummy scrumptiosity!

CABARET is not fruity, although the bouquet of flowers--featuring some of my faves: LOV, rose, violet, iris...--is slightly sweet. I am delighted with this composition, which has good longevity on top of everything else. On my wish list. As for the bottle, perhaps I'll decant the liquid into a nicer vessel. Or maybe I'll just close my eyes.

soupygirl3

At first I got a nasty blast of alcohol. But that disappeared quickly. Then a weird plasticky waft. Then that went away and I was reminded of the scent "Coriandre". Now it has settled into something creamy and floral. I like it, it's pretty, but it seems to be disappearing fast!

Sissi
Sissi

The opening starts with aged Patchouli
and dried Red Rose the note of powdery
violet starts to make it's presence
dries to an earthy boquet of purple
irises the drydown of smoky Sandalwood
and a dark wisp of incense dances above
the air. the fragrance is promising but
it's too light to be called thertical
or dramatic it just fleets off my skin
in like 30 minutes of an hour. I have drenched myself in this because it's so
light i love the scent but i wish it was
heavier.

Sassy1
Sassy1

At first application I got that dreaded alchohol blast that screams "hairspray! Oh No!" Fortunately, this was shortlived and the slightly spicy peony came forward, quickly followed by a rosy incense that I find heavenly. There's just enough patchouli here to make it interesting but is by no means overbearing.
This isn't a really heavy scent, but it is a chypre, so is solid and down to earth. If you're a fan of light and airy, pass this one by. But if you're like me and you like smoky and sultry, this one's definately worth a try.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

If you don't like patchouli, I would recommend against buying this fragrance blind.

It's a sweet and powdery patchouli-rose-incense on me, although it opens with a note I don't see listed: pink pepper.

I love it. It's light and the perfect feminine patchouli for warmer weather. The sillage was impressive for such a soft scent.

Thank you BronxBeauty for turning me on to this!

bookwyrmsmith
bookwyrmsmith

I bought this at Marshalls because Luca Turin recommended and I liked or tolerated everything else by Gres.Well I don't care for Cabaret (at least not by itself)it wears to my nose as a sour woodsy patchouli.Florals?Not so you would notice but maybe just enough to make it blend with some sweet fruit &/or floral/gourmand scents that need to tone down the sugar.
Edit : After trying more fragrances in the incense and rose families I think that I am starting to "get" this fragrance. Cabaret is a Incense Rosewater scent and has a home in the incense fragrances of my collection.The incense is probably frankincense which IS somewhat tangy woodsy and the rose in this is a Pale Transparent wash of Rose . NOT a full bodiedrose like Tea Rose or Paris or Red Door.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This isn't the type of scent i usually go for but it's very pleasant. Lovely transparent rose with an initial citrus aspect which I wasn't sure I liked. The drydown is soft rose with a hint of musk, patchouli and incense. There ia a fairly notable tobacco note in it also, which gives it left-of-centre appeal. I don't know if I'll wear it very much, certainly not at night as I don't find its sillage has any impact, but at the price it is up there with many niche fragrances I've tried for quality. Michel Almairac? Well - that explains it!

yantestrs
yantestrs

Help! I want to like this one! Look at the reviews, the notes! I don't get it. I bought a tester, maybe I got an old, bad bottle? I can't identify the opening notes. Smells like an industrial cleaner used in an old department store? There was one day where it did smell like roses to me but only one day. Do I really want to try buying a new, untested bottle? If this is truly it's smell, I don't want 2 of them. Suggestions?

Taxidermy
Taxidermy

The opening is dark and sharp, but not heavy. The incense-y rose is kinda dusty fresh. Later on the scent gets thicker and smells like a swamp, moss and woods, but never loses its freshness. It's not bad at all, but the scent is too minimalist to be a fatal perfume and not innovative enough to be a modern fragrance. This cabaret is too shy for me. At least it's certainly pleasant and interesting. But for a chypre rose I definitely prefer Perles de Lalique to this.

The perfume I am experiencing is so not what I was expecting after reading previous reviews. I like the more "suggestive" perfumes but I find this one gentle and unobtrusive and definitely by no means reminiscent of a sweaty body. It has quite a prominent rose smell which manages to remain subtle. The fragrance itself reminds me very much of "Kate" by Kate Moss. I have been waiting for it to develop into a vamp perfume but it has remained as gentle as a lamb. Smells pretty but Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood is definitely still top for me when talking about scents that evoke memories of passionate liaisons.

allexa27
allexa27

Cabaret smells like dusty dark red roses with some incense.It reminds me a LOT of Agent Provocateur but without this medicine note that AP has in the beggining.This perfume is more suitable for passionate women with black hair and red lipstick ;)
P.S It has little similarity also with Anglomania

milena
milena

I have this perfume and it is a powdery rose, very soft on my skin.

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

I wanted to like this - I am always keen to try anything with incense and I thought maybe it would help handle the roses but it was not to be! There is a smoky note which I like but there is also a cloying sweetness that catches at the back of my throat. Later on it becomes an old very dried flower arrangement - one that will turn to dust if you touch it.

weegee
weegee

First let me say I'm a huge Gres fan. I love Cabochard, original Cabotine is in my top 20 and I very much like many Cabotine flankers. I also have a deep and abiding fascination with many fragrances that others consider "dirty". However, to my nose Cabaret misses the mark.

There's a 100ml bottle staring at me, pleading to be liked. Peony, rose, incense, sandalwood, amber, all among my favorite notes so I can't quite figure out what's so very, very wrong here.

My father owned a neighborhood bar when I was growing up and I suppose the jukebox there makes it similar to a cabaret... I'd go there on Sunday mornings to help clean up after a busy Saturday night and when he'd unlock the door a pungent whoosh would almost knock me down. The sharpness of whisky, the boozey sweetness of cordials, the old wood floor, full ashtrays and the astringent sting of urine; that's all here in Cabaret, but...

Some stinks should not be bottled.

rockrose

Love this on! It's mysterious, earthy and beautiful. I have dozens of perfumes, but always come back to my Cabaret. I don't really care for the bottle, but Ah, the juice it holds.

Mado Haddad
Mado Haddad

I was so curious about this one.
Tried it today & I thought it would be sexy of some sort.. I found it dirty smelling & a bit vulgar. like the smell of a heavy floral scent mixed with "bad" body odor.
I don't recommend it to people who like clean smelling scents.

ktv0926
ktv0926

I wonder, why nobody compared Cabaret to Stella.. To my nose, they are almost identical, the second I sprayed cabaret on my wrist, I thought of Stella. I love both of them, but now I have to make a real comparison so that I could choose one.

P.S. Cabaret is a lot cheaper than Stella.

lillybee
lillybee

I had a sample of this and when I was looking for a clean and subtle rose fragrance to wear in summer, I gave this a try.

On me Cabaret is very different from the descriptions below! I was excepting, a suffocating, musty old rose with dust and smoke and leather...and something decadent and 'sweaty' as the name suggests...

Instead I'm getting a green and woody rose soliflore... oddly all the way down to the base notes. It doesn't change much in the 6 hours it's on, instead of being sharp and green it becomes deeper and woodier. It's gentle and soft like a whisper. There's a 'dark' quality to it (must be the insense) but it's so seamlessly blended that I cannot pick out anything than an earthy, but very clean and woody rose which is great as I hate sweet, cloying rose scents.

Cabaret behaves on my skin like Kelly Caleche but instead of the leather, I'm getting patchouli reminiscent of 'Prada Eau de Parfum'. If you're looking for an airy, non-sweet but alluring and sexy woody rose, try Cabaret!

ticalica
ticalica

definately buying my second bottle sooon!
Love its unusual mix of being innocent yet sensual

kiselina
kiselina

Smells like a rose, stuck in the hair of a music-hall singer. The show is over, the singer is enjoying a cigarette, and the rose scent is blurred by smoke and slightly sweaty odour.

loveperfumes
loveperfumes

I bought it unsniffed a year ago but we haven’t adjusted to each other yet.

First it made my b/f nervous, he called it “a smell of an unfaithful woman”. My dad didn’t approve of it either. Its specific dark beauty sounds dramatic to me too. Sexy on the verge of perversion. Exciting but with hidden depravity. Beautiful yet depressive. The scent both attracts and repels. I don’t feel any flowers but woody musk I’m sensitive to. The only type of clothes that physiologically went well together with Cabaret happened to be my leather vest and skirt, in other words, “armour”. Not really my type of scent.

P.S. (From March 2011) In order to do it justice. I was about to bet that this musky atrocity wouldn't ever cut it... But now I do enjoy smelling it on my mum in her late 50s. Yeah, it's still pungent but sings in a more soulful - Cherchez la femme! - way, vile musk seems lost on her somehow.

Mals86
Mals86

Looking at the notes, this one is right up my alley and you could almost guarantee I'd like it: rose brightened by lighter florals, incense, sandalwood and musk. And I do, I do!

This is a dry, woody rose a la Parfum Sacre (one of my all-time favorites), and despite the hints of muguet and peony, not particularly feminine. Incense further dries the florals, adding its smoky touch. The patchouli is aged and smooth, providing depth to the scent. I generally have trouble with patchouli, unless it is subtle. Here it's just perfect, along with the ambery wood and soft, pillowy musk.

This perfume is meant, I think, to be a feminine scent, but I think it would smell fabulous on a man as well, with all those dark smoky base notes.

Ignore the ludicrous packaging - Cabaret is an astounding bargain: a wonderful scent selling for far less than it's worth.

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

this one is wild! it is very herbal without being fresh. in fact, it feels a little dark. i also get a tangy nose tickling from it (something almost catnip in feel). it is complex but remains the same scent throughout the day. my husband loves it as well and plans to test it on himself. i think it is a different enough perfume that it could be unisex and smell divine on him.

Ninulia
Ninulia

AT first when they gabve it to me I decided to give it to my grandmaa... But then when I got so much comoliments i left it and It really didi smell very different:)

dena2
dena2

a perfume interesting!
Feel the smell of lemon,and flowers.I think one day of summer, hot.Is exaggerated but nice.

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

This really does smell like the theatre- literally the auditorium! It smells like the old high school and college auditoriums I have spent so much time around. Old wood, leather, and dusty rose predominate. This is not at all what I was expecting, but I don't entirely dislike it, either. This is a nostalgic scent for me, and definitely seems to be a special occasion scent.

sfsassy
sfsassy

I loved this scent on so many levels. 1. you can usually pick it up at a good price. 2. The bottle is pretty. 2. the scent is very upscale rose with woods. Classy!

Kama
Kama

Recently I bought Cabaret…as I read on some website that they are kind of Paloma Picasso and Sisley Soir de Lune perfume. I used to have Paloma Picasso EDPt and I would love to have Sisley….. Although Sisley is very expensive… then on ebay I found really cheap deal for Cabaret (8 pounds, including delivery!) and I bought them.
I must admit that this perfume reminds me of Sisley Soir de Lune very much. The only difference is that cabaret is mixed with ROSE and Rose is main think in this scent.
I would describe it like mixture of Sisley Soir de Lune and Stella rose perfume.
So far I am very happy with Cabaret.. I find them very intriguing when I am wearing them during a day..like to sniff myself!

asilverfire614
asilverfire614

I am surprised by how much I like this fragrance...I'm sampling it today and it just keeps getting better and better!

Opening notes on me were more in line with Mitsouko's description, a "rose-lemon drizzle." The lemony notes were strong at first, with a touch of leather, and then a subtle dry rose note became more prominent. For a few minutes I was reminded of wooden furniture polish, but not in a bad way!

Three hours into it, the leather notes have disappeared, and only a trace of lemon remains. Old, withered roses and peonies gently curl around me now in a bed of sandalwood. I'm really enjoying it...

I am buying a full bottle of this...today! :)

Added note:
The longer I wear this, the more it reminds me of Narciso Rodriguez's dry-down. Hmm, interesting.

Robert White
Robert White

I ordered this online because (1) it was recommended by Luca Turin, and (2) it was only $18.95 on Ebay! At first I thought I had made a mistake - it seemed to smell like a cheap, sleazy version of Floris's rose-scented soap(which I like). But I gave it a chance, and now I love it - it's got a nice incense note and a mellow musk on the tail end. It really does make a good masculine if you like rose - and most chypres are worth checking out for guys. At $18.95 for 3.4 ounces, a bargain. Four stars!

Juliette has a gun
Juliette has a gun

A very original fragrance from a house which has not come up with anything decent since Cabochard (and they have messed up Cabochard's formula recently, by the way)... think of the indredibly horrible "Cabotine" - but this one is GOOD, really good. I agree with all the positive reviews so far and congratulate the house of GRES upon finally producing a fine scent again!

kokica
kokica

...omg,such wonderful descriptions..i was watching this one in my mall, it is very cheap (kind of duty free shop with low prices...), bought Cabotine and Cabochard-but they were just to stuffed with this vetyver and a very strong chypre components....
but,if this has a rose-I just might like it....
ok, I'll give it a try....:))))

queenkey
queenkey

This is one of my "unique" scents. I layer it with the body lotion and it's almost like you can see Liza Minelli swinging her legs around that chair in the movie "Cabaret". This is definitely an underated fragrance with seductive appeal. This scent lasts well into the night.

SonnenblumeKarin
SonnenblumeKarin

This perfume smells like a medicine cabinet!!! Terribly!!!!!!

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

My little decant is almost gone and I know I will be purchasing a full bottle of this gorgeous scent. I liked this one so much that I purchased Gres's Cabotine unsniffed. (And I wasn't disappointed in that one, either.)

Cabaret is a special and sophisticated scent. The peony notes dominate the opening on me, but I love and live for the dry-down on this one: pronounced incense notes with a hint of the dry iris.

Ijubica gives a gorgeous description. :-) Good job there!

I get a similar impression when I first sniffed this one. It reminded me of those satin sachets women used to line their lingerie drawers with. The sachets always left a subtle powdery floral scent on the undergarments as they wore them. Cabaret has that kind of earthy, powdery, floral scent. Very feminine and full of secrets.

solocha
solocha

A smell of an old, mouldy building, later smells like dried roses. Didn't know what to think at first. I think I'll have to give it a few more tries. Definitely an original fragrance.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

IMO - this is not smell for artist, for example, of Moulin Rouge.This parfum is as a rose- lemon drizzle, as delicate tiffany scarf. Rather this is smell of Dagny Juel - subtle, magic, alost in thout muses of europan bohemias assembling once in Berlin, in legendary place: "Under Black Piglet". In this delicate smell is any delicaty anxiety.
Me very likes to smell mysterious, subtle Cabarets.

Cabaret by Gres 3.85 out of 5 based on 492 ratings and 128 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Gres Cabaret fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Gres Cabaret, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Cabaret by Gres. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Cabaret by Gres represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.