Designers » F-H » Oriental Fougere « Groups

Cabaret Pour Homme Gres for men

Cabaret Pour Homme Gres for men
dislike

Cabaret Pour Homme Gres for men Pictures Cabaret Pour Homme Gres for men Pictures Cabaret Pour Homme Gres for men Pictures

Cabaret Pour Homme by Gres is a Oriental Fougere fragrance for men. Cabaret Pour Homme was launched in 2004. The nose behind this fragrance is Pierre Bourdon. Top notes are rosemary, pineapple, coriander, juniper berries, basil and bergamot; middle notes are lavender, jasmine and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are wormwood, sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, cloves, oakmoss and vetiver.

Rosemary Pineapple Coriander Juniper Berries Basil Bergamot

Lavender Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley

Wormwood Sandalwood Tonka Bean Amber Patchouli Musk Cloves Oakmoss Vetiver

Caesars Man
Canali Men

Cabaret Pour Homme Fragrance Reviews

"Life is a cabaret, old chum - Come to the cabaret!"

Now this is a fougere I can enjoy! The fougere accord is obvious, but unlike so many others, it is counterbalanced very well. There is the pineapple and some woody type quality, along with florals that are mild but seem to really help to soften things up. This is what I expect a designer scent to do, that is, take an accord that is often handled in a harsh way (I'm looking at you, Brut) and surround it with other notes to balance and smooth it out. I don't view this as similar to Rive Gauche Pour Homme, other than the fact that they are both smoother fougeres, but this is even smoother than RGPH, and it's got pineapple rather than anise (the anise and fougere accord thing doesn't work that well for me, because both tend to be too strong). One might also view this as the fougere version of Aventus (if Aventus had been released first), though this comes across as smoother and more natural-smelling. I'm glad I bought two of these when I had the chance, because I want to keep at least one bottle.

"What good is sitting alone in your room? Come hear the music play..."

And splash on some Cabaret !

Tom Petitgrain
Tom Petitgrain

The journey from fruity to woody leather is kind of magical. A slim fragrance, but worth the few moments of ecstasy. The bottle is handsomely garish. Love.

fuzzybutt59
fuzzybutt59

Hard to find but worth seeking out,Ebay can be good.
Cabaret Pour Homme is a dry,dusty powdery fragrance with hints of fruit & spicy woods.
I wouldn't describe it as an Oriental fragrance but it does fall in to the Fougere category quite easily.
The opening top notes are very crisp & clean,there is a deeper sweet note too,maybe the pineapple?
The middle and very lasting notes lull you into memories of a traditional barber shop,with crisp almost medicinal lavender & lily-of-the valley.
The base notes have a deep warmth which lasts for hours,the tonka bean & oakmoss being very identifiable.
I do agree with most other reviewers when they say this is a fragrance for an older man, (I would suggest mature & refined),but really when you get a top quality scent like this.Surely it's for anyone to make their own mind up.
At the time of writing this review,Dior has just released "Sauvage" which smells very similar.So maybe the old fashioned barber shop scent is making a come-back?
I have worn CBH for years & I always get compliments.
It's very hard to find now,so I keep it for special occasions.
But it's worth looking on Ebay for bargains.I found a coffret on offer for less than £20 with 50ml EDT & 200ml shower gel.
This fragrance has excellent longevity with a good but subtle projection.
Would I buy it again? Most definitley !
I love the ruby red,ribbed glass flask like bottle,very stylish,an homage to Art Deco.
For longevity- 8/10.
For projection/sillage 7/10.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

So after YSL came up in 2003 with that fantastic time-machine called Rive Gauche pour Homme, here’s Bourdon composing one year later another decidedly old-school, completely non-fashion fragrance for Grès. The quality isn’t really comparable in my opinion, but neither was the price, as I guess Cabaret was way more cheap; the inspiration though, that was quite similar. Cabaret pour Homme is basically a sort of fruitier, slightly more “contemporary” take on Van Cleef & Arpels' Tsar: that same type of formal aromatic fougère structure, played with a couple of added or, say, “renovated” chords – notably fruits, a floral-green whiff, also something like amber or labdanum “warming” it up a bit, with also a subtle sort of tobacco-incense aftertaste. At once fresher and warmer. Take Tsar and imagine it sweeter, a bit younger and more “informal”. Basically like putting a baseball cap and a Supreme t-shirt on your grandpa. Openly “uncool” and slightly naif: I love that. The quality isn’t really top-notch for me, but it isn’t totally bad either; Cabaret smells nice and versatile, “manly” in a slightly dated way with just a hint of warmth and modern tints.

Also, it has a sort of really well-played feel of “luxury” which is as much fake as enjoyable, like a well-made counterfeit Rolex replica. Actually it’s fascinating as it smells at the same time heavily cheap on some nuances, but somehow the overall look is good and the composition seems clever enough to “disguise” the cheapness. Anyway I can see why this is overlooked, as it sits right in the grey nowhere halfway a classic aromatic fougère and a more modern “office-safe” woody-spicy-fruity-smoky scent for contemporary men; but it’s at once too modern and too sweet for fans of classic fougères, and surely still too outdated for the average contemporary taste. And there’s the “appealing-to-nobody” trap. It’s a shame because it is instead a really decent and enjoyable blend of these two inspirations, which makes you feel wearing something mannered, classy and mature enough but with a more relaxed, playful, less “austere” vibe. Miles away being a creative piece of art or a “compliment getter”, but give it a chance if you stumble upon it.

6,5-7/10

Planet_X
Planet_X

Oh why almost all great "male" fragrances have these beautiful juniper berries and "womans" mostly do not have them?.. They make the juice so soft-woody and full of beautiful reflexion and focus!
Thats how cool men used to smell 10 years ago - wormwood and basil,rosemary and lavender, you wish to spend a life with your nose buried into a shoulder which smelled of Cabaret...so manly it smelled, would imagine Rhett Butler (Clark Gable) in Gone With The Wind, that smelled like that, gentleman AND evil, all in one...
sigh

gbad
gbad

i think it similliar to xeryus and drakkar noir

eliweisz
eliweisz

Bought it blind - a sudden impulse provoked by a memory of some evil woman who used to wear ladies' Cabaret - floral, fruity, playful. Cabaret Pour Homme is completely different - woody-spicy, dry, with a hint of martini. It took time to adjust myself to this fragrance. Now I can say I like it - it has an individuality unlike so many modern colognes, it's non-offensive so you can wear it everywhere, it's promising without being vulgar. Longevity and sillage are moderate. Better to use with a matching bath/shower gel.

siririschmoos
siririschmoos

Yes, it may remind you of Drakkar but this baby has a life of its own.

It's nice and balmy and may give you a "wear-me-in-winter-only" vibe like it does me but some gents out there might be able to pull it off at other times of year.

It is not cheap smelling and it will not let you down if you wish to be taken seriously or get attention.

To some folks out there it may come across as an older gent's scent so you younger men may be better off sampling or buying a miniature before jumping in.

Jose Marcos
Jose Marcos

For me it doesn't smell anything like YSL Jazz. It is a more pleasant version of MontBlanc Legend, I think it is the pineapple and juniper combination, without the metalic feel. I try hard to get other notes but I can't. Perhaps it will be a good change for hot casual evenings outdoor setting.

PeterWJ
PeterWJ

Wow, I've been waiting with much anticipation to test this one.
It opens up with bergamot and mild, ground spices. Those, and a sharp whif of the cool air that surrounds you when you come in from a walk in the snow. It makes me feel clean straight away. It is not too citric or swamped in aldehydes, but just right for now. Comfortable and reminiscent of Guerlain's Vetiver (old formulation).

After about 10 minutes an odd and unevenly balanced duo of sweet juniper and dry powder clears the stage of contesters. I get a lot of YSL Jazz here, while not as deep, sweet and balmy, but it is there. Lily-of-the-Valley turns up but keeps in the background, bridging the sweet juniper and powdery lavender.

Half an hour into the drydown, and the juniper reaches its peak. 1 hour in, and it's on retreat. The lavender is gone, while Lily-of-the-Valley and the balm seem all the more dominant. For the first 10 minutes sillage was about moderate, but keeps within a foot now, after 1½ hours.
I'm starting to be afraid that this exotic promise will instead turn into a short fare in the amusement park.

2 hours in and a hint of bergamot blends in with a vague YSL Jazz. Nothing but this. That's ok. I used to like Jazz and rediscovered today why that is. While the ingredients put into YSL Jazz were of a better quality, it was too heavy, and I'm happy to have found elements of it represented in a somewhat more dynamic fragrance. Just wish the drydown would strech for a bit longer.

Now you know my rating for sillage and longevity will be poor, so I won't let you know. Instead I would like to underline what an intriguing, non-offensive and versatile fragrance this is. It could litterally be a pick-up pheromone as well as a scent for a meeting in the bank or shaking hands with the pope.
Optimally you should try it... at least once, to know what it's all about. If you happen to dislike it, don't worry: It'll go away soon enough.

Or so I thought! It slowly dies down, not changing much while it does, but stays close to the skin until the 7th hour. Very pleasant indeed.

Voile
Voile

A not so bad looking guy, with a great personality, wearing this scent could be really irresistible!

lateeeno
lateeeno

I wouldn't mind soak myself up in this sexy juice . So warm and sensual scent . Negative side is the short life and poor projection . Wish if i can find the same fragrance with stronger sillage and longevity .

Emmanouil
Emmanouil

I also have the same question?? I am searching for this perfume in many shops but I can not find it anymore...It would be great if someone can help...

orestes
orestes

I have a question,this fragrance still produced or discontinued?

pob75
pob75

Some good, accurate comments that I agree with on this one already. A clean, beautiful, grown-up, complex, sophisticated scent with subtlety and some floral notes. Some feminine feeling notes but gently masculine throughout.

Very natural smelling. Seems to gently evolve. Sweet but not too sweet. Gently woody and musky. Feels like a happy scent to me.

Subtle but projects well for at least 4 or 5 hours. Still smells clearly at 7 hours with a little bit of projection. Still on my skin at 11 hours. Not got many subtle, complex fragrances that last as well as this without ever being too loud or sharp.

This would suit cooler weather and more formal or professional situations but you could wear it anytime.
Well worth a try.

krmarich
krmarich

What a brilliant retro scent! Its rather complex for the 21stC market. Its not sweet. Its a fougere in every sense. Toss in some jasmine, lily of the valley and wormwood and you find the last in line of the now lost class. A tribute to the absinthe era!

Its pure seduction in a bottle. The patcholi, vetiver and oakmoss lend a comfortable familiarity. They carefully surround the florals and soften the woods. It always reminds me of snow and winter. Its perfect for snuggling up with a good book or the one you love.

It was barely on the radar of American shelves. What a shame! There is still some bottle on E-bay. Its worth getting a big bottle for lovers of the fougere.

Yerdan
Yerdan

Discovered this upon a suggestion by a very experienced member here. It is very floral, making me think of a real Cabaret, full of frivolity and joy and strong feminine signals.
I love the pineapple note, it gives a carnal note in this jasmine-lavender-lily of the valley bouquet, like just a bit of sweat. It's a Cabaret, remember ? not your aunts flower garden.
Very sensual and - to my surprise - a 100% male scent.

cowboykenny27
cowboykenny27

I always fancied trying this fragrance then I got the oppurtunity to get 8 bottles for £12 ! I couldnt believe my luck !

It was a blind buy and I'ts definately one of my favourites ! Yeah I can see that some people may find this fragance a little 'dated' I prefer the word 'refined' . Really well made fragrance with good staying power . I will enjoy this for years to come :)

This one, just like the Molinard Homme II, is also a sweet oriental for men, not soo deep as the Molinard, but quite elegant for sure!

I bought this one for my husband quite a while ago! Look at these wonderful notes !! It is truly wonderful and something else for a change!!
A.

weegee
weegee

Very masculine, long-lasting fragrance that strikes me more as a woody musk than oriental fougere. The sillage hums with sophistication with the understated elegance of bespoke clothing.

The opening is almost watery in a cool forest air fashion - I think that's the juniper berries lightened by pineapple. The floral mid notes rise quickly and blend with the herbs in the top notes, almost as if there's no middle. But the real treasure is in the drydown. Ah, oakmoss, vetiver & wormwood bitterness warmed by tonka and spiced up by cloves & patchouli with musk pulsing through like a beating heart. Very, very nice indeed.

Nosed by the great Pierre Bourdon, my fragrance guru.

The photo doesn't do the bottle justice. It's actually quite handsome with its "bakelite" top and thin profile. The red ribs in the glass feel good to hold, as would, I think, any man classy enough to wear this.

raverdudes
raverdudes

Uhm... Reading its composition, it sounds like an interesting fragrance that I would like to try - despite its cheap looking bottle and packaging... Italo's review was obviously translated using some online translating tool, and it's a bit difficult for me to understand. Has anyone tried this?

Italo_Wolff
Italo_Wolff

The good perfume clean fouguer,usual and very versatile, it combines with countless occasions if not limiting the night or day very apparent, mixed lavender the coriander a touch indol of lily of the valley, notes of fresh mint,an amber bottom and comfortable and hot vetier .

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Gres Cabaret Pour Homme fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Gres Cabaret Pour Homme, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Cabaret Pour Homme by Gres. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Cabaret Pour Homme by Gres represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.