Designers » F-H » Leather « Groups

dislike

I have it: 876 I had it: 277 I want it: 301 My signature: 11

leather
tobacco
Cabochard Gres for women Pictures Cabochard Gres for women Pictures Cabochard Gres for women Pictures Cabochard Gres for women Pictures

Cabochard is a fragrant image of Alix Gres. Even the name, chosen by Madame Gres herself (in French Cabochard means 'stubborn' or 'headstrong') reflects her free spirit and will. Cabochard was created after Madame Gres' trip to India. She described a beautiful perfume to the young perfume creator Guy Robert – very flowery, rich like tuberose yet softer, contrasted by fresh, slightly green note. It was a water hyacinth! After several trials, Madame Gres recognized her perfume. It was light and floral. However, the trend dictated intensive and strong chypre (Tabac Blond (1919), Cuir de Russie (1924), Scandal (1933), Bandit (1944)), so Madame Gres decided to launch two perfumes at the same time: floral Chouda and leather chypre Cabochard, created by Bernard Chant with IFF.

Cabochard was launched in 1959 and instantly became very popular; Madame Gres said that it reminded her of her walks along the long and empty beaches of India: sharp freshness of the morning air, warmth of sandalwood, a touch of flower and comfort of the sea breeze.

A couple of months after it was created the production of Chouda was suspended. The delivered 5 liters of the perfume was most probably worn by Madame Gres herself.

The first bottle of Cabochard was very plane and simple (Madame Gres wanted to minimize the costs), with pharmaceutical top and a grey bow. The Chouda bottle had a green bow.
By information of Parfums Gres

Fetish

Cabochard Fragrance Reviews

golinka
golinka

Love it to the point of no return- true classic, true quality, and true masterpiece! I see why some say it reminds them of Piguet's Bandit, which way more soap and tenderness, I guess to nose they are quite alright together.... No no no no! You want to see wealth, class, sex and style - this is the direction to go! ( not saying that beloved Bandit is not classy, just more of a day-goer) overall, you'd smell like well used big sum banknote money in the leather wallet left in the Holt Renfrew perfume section... Serious, not mature, crazy but not paranoia, stand out not flashy, and very well original!

houzi
houzi

Cabochard does a stellar job transporting me to a decrepit leather fetish dungeon run by a bunch of obnoxious, chain-smoking ‘mistresses', who look as if they’re long past their glory days. It’s the most pathetic place on earth. As I sink deeper and deeper into my cracked, worn and filthy black leather sofa trying to ignore the stench of stale cigarettes that penetrates the air, I cringe in embarrassment and loathe myself for ending up in this miserable establishment. How did it happen anyway?

My first encounter with Cabochard traumatised me so badly that I couldn’t bring myself to sniff it again for a year:) It taught me I hate leather. And the leather in it is of the most difficult kind: black, hard, oily and stale, a weathered vintage biker jacket as opposed to soft and luxurious ladies’ gloves. The scent gets worse as it dries down, once the floral undercurrent fades and only the leather and patchouli remain on the battlefield.

I know Cabochard has many fans and I hope they ignore my ramblings. If you suspect you may dislike leather, perhaps you should try Cabochard to settle the question.

t4x3
t4x3

I like the way this smells. I just don't think this juice and I get along, the same as me and Gin. It smells amazing for that first hour with tons of leather and a dry powdery aspect that I find alluring. Then, something about me mixes with something about it and I can't get it off of me soon enough. I so want to love Cabochard, but it dries down to a rotting sweet smell on my skin after an hour or so. It is the Dean of perfumes. Dean was this guy who should have been perfect for me. He probably liked me more than any person I ever dated. At least he made me feel that way. We had a ton in common. We had a great time together. His parents thought I was wonderful and as someone who got mixed reviews from other boyfriends' parents, this was no small thing. But after a few months, his sweetness became cloying. I couldn't get away from him soon enough. Five years later I became friends with an acquaintance of his. When she mentioned me to Dean, he told her I taught him how to hate after breaking his heart. I'm glad Cabochard is a perfume and can't talk.

seamav
seamav

Wonderful leather as many have described - smells to me exactly like Azuree

fabianabruna
fabianabruna

I dont like it! Too much leather! Too strong! I have a new 100 ml bottle to swap if you are in Canada!

summer1960
summer1960

I've just bought the edp, and it reminds me of Imperial Leather soap.

brynandoskarsmam
brynandoskarsmam

I bought a miniature from eBay and received it today. The bottle itself is cute but don't let that fool your as to the scent inside. I'm not going to lie - when I first dabbed it on I thought 'what the hell have I bought?'. It was a huge hit of masculinity, heavily woody and earthy. Once it has dried, IT IS AN ANIMAL!!!

It's sexy in an earthy, leathery way. Normally I'm a oriental/floral girl but damn, this made me feel like a dangerous diva. I can imagine Marlene Dietrich or Greta Garbo wearing this.

I think this is a scent that you either love or hate.....count me in among the lovers.

nero77
nero77

Review for the Eau de Toilette.

Cabochard is a beautiful fragrance. It’s a leathery, subtle, beautifully soft floral. I enjoy it very much. Many people say that this is reminiscent of Bandit by Piguet. I remember reading that Bernard Chant, the perfumer, took the formula of Bandit and toned down the leather whilst amping up the floral aspects. In this I think that he succeeded.

Cabochard doesn’t feel like such a typical feminine fragrance, although it is soft. It’s essentially a soft leather with florals, very subdued but beautiful in its own particular way. The notes are too long to list, and it’s so well blended to it’s hard to tell.

For me I get four main notes: jasmine, oakmoss, rose and leather, with further hints in the drydown of powdery orris, castoreum musk, vetiver, patchouli, labdanum and smooth, soft whiffs of tobacco… a beautiful combination.

To me it comes across as a fruity-leather (even though no fruit is listed in the notes). It’s subtle in that the sillage is gentle, so you can smell it and others get a beautiful leather & floral trail when you walk by, it’s in no way overpowering to those around you. It’s also beautifully blended and no note feels like it’s overpowering the other.

I would recommend this one for anyone wanting to smell different to the normal type of sweet floral generic perfumes, as the leather note is present and the oakmoss gives it a different vibe to the norm. Even though this is considered vintage, I don’t really find it dated in any way. I see it as perfectly balanced. I am not sure about the newer, current reformulations but the bottle I have seems to smell fantastic. I happily wear it and find it quite unisex. I call it “fruity-leather” but it’s actually a classical beautifully smooth and soft floral-leather chypre. I really can’t fault it in any way, it ticks so many boxes for me (mainly because I’m tired of endless generic florals and the leather, jasmine and oakmoss really give this one a unique character, plus it’s perfectly blended by a master perfumer). In any case, please do try it out if you can, you may be surprised.

framorena
framorena

This is one of those rare perfumes able not to perfume your skin, but to enhance and elevate its sensuality on top. You don't smell like rose, vanilla, orange or jasmine, you smell like a sensual woman. Nothing sweet, nothing pink, just true nude leather that speaks to the natural way to mean "I'm here and I'm irresistible". If you are a candy-flowery-fruity perfumed girl, and not a herself- well aware woman, stay away from this scent.

Greicealix
Greicealix

I don't think you should wear it during the day. This scent was made for the mysteries of the night. And it's not a scent for every woman.

I bought a Cabochard almost two years ago. Blindly. And I found it terrible for the first time. Too masculine for someone like me, who was newly out of the fruity/floral/gourmand scents. It was a traumatic experience somehow, actually.

Anyway, sometimes I flirted with it on my dresser, took a spray and the view was always the same: A masculine biker girl.

Time passed by, and in the meantime, as a twist of fate, I took the bike driver's license, influenced by my husband.

What was my surprise when, on a motorcycle trip, I decided to use Cabochard.

What happened? I am powerful, fearless, unwavering, INDOMITABLE!

Love it, love it, love it!

Leather jacket, boots, road, smoke, Cabochard.

What's the problem with a masculine biker girl anyway?

cosmicfred
cosmicfred

Compared to the vintage edt the latest edp is quite good but sharper i would say and stonger. Vintage Cabochard is quite light but it lasts (more of a skin scent). Both are very good and totally unisex!

rakkoma
rakkoma

I wanted to wait a few days before I wrote my review. This is the conclusion I've come to:

1. Decaying dusty roses
2. Rich worn leather
3. Dry tobacco

I'd like to put emphasis on #1, the trait of being DUSTY. This is a very earthy fragrance to my nose. While I like this fragrance very much, on my skin, it needs to settle for quite a while before I'm in love with it. In fact, the last 2 nights, I've worn it to bed and by morning the smell was divine. That's not to say it *needs* that much time, but it does last quite a while and the longer it wears the better it smells.
Also worth noting, I get WAY more ROSE than anything, other than leather. Those two seem to be the most dominant notes. (Although as I mentioned, the rose is "dusty")

velvetpeony
velvetpeony

On my skin, this is very dry and oakmoss heavy. I get no leather, vetiver or florals. It is nice, but pretty linear on me. I've tried it in several types of weather and the result is always the same. It's too dry for my skin/nose. This is for the vintage edp.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

WOW......I almost fell off my chair, this fragrance is absolutely PHENOMENAL. If someone had poured this nectar into a non fragrance bottle and told me it's a woman's frag, I would of told them what the $#@& are you talking about!!! After reading several reviews and they all wrote about the leathery aroma, I had to buy it. I finally bought a 100ml edt and it was exactly what I expect from this old school juice.
The aroma of leather/woodsy notes of oakmoss combined with a sweet undertone of a floral scent reminds me of a fragrance that was expensive when I was a young lad......a very LUXURIOUS, OPLULENT fragrance.
Amber, musk and patucchli give it a real attractive warm/sweet aromatic aroma which makes this juice a MUST HAVE fragrance.
Longevity and Silage are both very high lasting longer than 10hrs.
Overall thoughts,
To me this fragrance is definitely worthy of having especially if you love leather/woodsy aromatic aroma.
I don't care that this fragrance is categorized a woman's frag, during the winter months I will be wearing this MASTERPIECE. Without exaggerating the truth, if my partner wore this to bed she wouldn't have enough time to get undressed. It definitely has a seductive animalistic quality to it that it would either give you an orgasm or make you horny and that's no bull!!!
This fragrance is perfect, I would recommend to anyone who wants a really desirable creamy leathery aroma followed by a sweet vib. I LOVE IT!!!! 10/10 ❤❤❤❤❤

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

My review is for the vintage EDT. The opening is beyond classic, a dirty, animalic chypre comprising salty aldehydes, dark, gloomy, wet and almost rancid flowers, a subtle camphor-stale indolic aftertaste, a load of musk, a velvety balsamic breeze all over and a general, palpable funereal, austere, but at the same time vibrant, carnal, utterly sensual and self-confident personality. A humid base of herbs, woods, oak moss and leather like in the darkest male fougère complete the composition. The similarity to many fougères for man is quite bold, basically here's more about flowers, there's more woods and green notes, but the heart of oak moss, aldehydes and leather which gives that precise "austere" and dark personality is quite the same. That is why nowadays this can be clearly considered more a man scent, and even quite challenging for its boldness and its darkness – we're so used to "azure-aquatic-green-sport" bullshit. To be really honest, like some other chypres, this also smells a bit outdated to me, meaning that it is a powerful madeleine of a past era which strongly connotes the person wearing it – perfectly for nostalgic people or however to smell "like" that, but on the contrary, it lacks in the "timelessness" I personally value in scents. Other than that (which I'm not even sure if it's clear, however it's my personal opinion) it's a sure milestone for perfumery, superb from any point of view.

8,5-9/10

Lassie
Lassie

I don't think I've ever reviewed this one...I was cleaning out my armoire and found a box with a little sample of Cabochard in it, amongst several other perfume samples. Very interesting! Leathery, smoky, even bitter. I don't think they could ever market this one ever again, too much fruity vanilla musky cheap flowery out there. A whiff of this old classic would knock the modern girl right back on her tramp stamp, she woldn't know what to make of it!~

pamelapuffadder
pamelapuffadder

I got a tiny vintage bottle in a perfume coffret from eBay. This is AMAZING. It is warm with lots of sandalwood and wood and definitely a unisex fragrance. Quite rich, strong and absolutely delicious. Especially on a stormy night with lots of rain, thunder and lightning (which is what's going on right now). It smells like a great fragrance from the past, maybe the late 1970s. It is lavish with the spice and perhaps a bit more than I can handle because I love girly scents. This is patchouli, spice, leather and tobacco. Gorgeous for après ski and staying at the lodge. Really lovely in this vintage 1970s version.

I just received my vintage bottle, which looks nothing like any bottle I've ever seen before (and I've been searching ebay for a long time). It's a long thin bottle with a black cap (with two gold lines running vertically on the front and back of it). the bottle itself is transparent, but is mostly pebbled, with a clear area in the middle. In this clear, non-pebbled area, it says Cabochard in script and then (in smaller font) Gres on the bottom like this "GRES." Underneath that is PARIS in a much smaller font. The batch code is BE34. It's a spray EdT. Any idea when this was produced? Please send me a PM if you do.

As to the scent, I don't think it's all that close to Bandit (though I haven't tried that in a few years) or Azuree (which I have in vintage formulation). Instead, this is softer and lighter, yet seems more complex. At first there is strong galbanum, but even so, it's quite pleasant (I generally don't like strong galbanum at any point in a scent's development), and then comes the leather. But within an hour or so everything seems to balance out perfectly, and this is clearly not especially "feminine." And as I've said before, this seems like what niche companies want their scents to be yet the perfumers simply don't have the talent and/or materials to get the job done (so they usually do simplistic compositions, apparently, but that comes across as "ham-fisted" to me).

I've never tried any other formulation but from what I read I thought I'd be quite disappointed in the newest one, if not others as well, so I waited for a non-crazy price to come along on ebay.

SmokinBetty
SmokinBetty

@ Mufulia. I think it could be musk that gives off the cat pee whiff. I know exactly what you mean, I get the cat pee from frags that go heavy on the musk.
About Cabochard though, I received this today, bought blind.I spritzed it at about 3.30pm and it is now almost 8.00pm. On initial spray I was overwhelmed with spice and I thought I was going to hate this but after about 10 mins it settled down into something very sexy, dirty sexy I might add. This is not to be worn by the feint hearted, oh no! This is for women who are confident in their sexuality, perhaps even the fantasy whore in the bedroom, Angel in the kitchen scene! Over the past few hours of wearing this absolute masterpiece it has settled in nicely, getting lots of erotic leather and lots of sexy tobacco with spice and sandalwood, rose and coconut showing up in the background.Also getting musk but not in a cat pee way!
All in all I can honestly say that I really really love this and I feel certain that when my husband smells it I will want to unleash my inner whore, because lets face it, we all have one!

mufulia
mufulia

could someone explain me which flower or wood of whatever gives some fragrances an "urinous note" (cat pee).
Yes, some fragrances have that, when they are off, some
fragrance have that even when the bottle is new and from very recent production. What it that? Why that acrid sharp strong smell really very similar to (old) urine????

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

Ok, so I just got this little gem today, I know we are coming into spring, but I am suddenly hankering after leathery, tobacco, suede, woody type notes, I think perhaps because they are comforting scents, yet also strong - not necessarily in terms of potency, but more like an armour - they are, to me, the scents of a confident woman, someone who is cool, calm, serious and in control, yet still undeniably feminine. And with life as it is right now, that combination of cosy comfort to me, while giving me a protective aromatic armour is just what I need! I have been experimenting with what is a relatively new set of notes to me recently, trying, and falling for Chergui and violet blonde, enjoying a sample of bvlgari black, (and failing with paloma picasso but you can't win them all!)

On the basis of the listed notes, the reviews, and lets be honest, a good price online, I decided to blind buy this to give it a whirl. This is (I think) current formulation edp, no oakmoss in ingredients :(

I found slightly different results testing this in the morning and then the evening.
This opens a little stridently on me at first when applied in the morning. There is a swirl of aldehydes making this seem quite potent, almost overpowering, tempered with some green woodyness possibly the vetiver or orris root with the patchouli and a hint of spice and tobacco. The aldehydic notes were very dominant initially, shortly followed by a surprisngly strong coconut. I am surprised the coconut is so far down the list of notes as it is very dominant on me, at least in the first hour or so. After the first 30 minutes or so this slightly musty bomb veers suddenly dangerously close to paloma picasso territory then as quickly turns away again and this begins to change, softening slightly but remaining somewhat austere, then the tobacco really coming to the fore, and interestingly so - there is a freshness, a light floral from the jasmine and the ylang but no sweetness as I am used to. No honeys and vanillas here to sweeten and soften, instead, for me, it is the coconut that does this, lending a rich creaminess. This is my power blanket! or maybe my comfort armour?! This stage lasts a good 2 or 3 hours, after which the leather note becomes more prominent, the jasmine, orris, ylang and coconut working together to create a slight gentleness now, more feminine this feels at this stage and for the next few hours like slipping on a well worn leather jacket, on which the accumulated lingering basenotes of many perfumes before have soaked into the leather, along with hints of tobacco, this stage is lovely.
Into the drydown hours later the floral notes become more dominant, the tobacco and leather soften to a gentle background, and the creamy coconut makes its presence known once again (I don't mean coconut like coconut tanning oil, more like that creamy undertone in a good curry but without the spice).
Sprayed in the evening this was immediately much softer, in fact I was surprised at how much difference there was. Sprayed once onto my chest this softened straight away into a dreamy creamy floral coconut tobacco leather loveliness! Overall it was like skipping the tempestuous first few hours and leaping right in. Very nice.

I have listed this as a like so far - reading back over what I have written and smelling the soft lingering drydown tonight it may be that over a few wears this goes up to the "love" section. We shall see. I feel Cabochard will be a sly one, catching me unaware with different notes playing together on different days. I look forward to the ride.

platinum14
platinum14

Nothing feminine here. very leather. Guys, you need to try this, girls, this is not your regular FRUTY/FLORAL.

SmellieKat
SmellieKat

Cabochard is one of the best layering perfumes on earth! Tonight I'm wearing it in combo with Maroussia, which is creating a woody/sweet/incense that is divine.

On it's own, Cabochard can be too vintage for me...and a little serious. The opening is bitter, and even though it dries down to a sexy leather, the top notes annoy me. However, it's great when you want to add a little smoky wood to a cheerful oriental.

Red Theodora
Red Theodora

Cabochard for me dances between the world of masculine and feminine. However, the dance is certainly a sophisticated one. This is not a modern scent in any sense of the word. It is old world, moneyed and royal. A grand Dowager of a fragrance with a deep voice, and class!

SamTheRiddler
SamTheRiddler

I am glad I am not the only one who finds this perfume somewhat temperamental (I thought I was imaging things). Honestly, when I first spray Cabochard on, it often makes me choke a little. However, within a half hour, it transforms into a beautiful smoky, leathery, woody scent. And despite the horrible opening, I keep wearing this because I love the smell of it throughout the day.

It makes me want to listen to Chelsea Wolfe and drink whiskey and wear black leather and black lace and write poetry. In a bar in Paris. I don't even know how to expain it. It's definitely a very unisex perfume (men should all smell like this!)

Definitely going to buy a edp to replace my edt at some point - hopefully I'll be able to track down a vintage. I just wish the bottle was nicer!

Jerrythecat
Jerrythecat

Cabochard...mmm! In French it means temperamental and not stubborn as a previous posting mentions. That's exactly what it is: with Cabochard, you never know where it takes you. A bit as if Mrs Grès was up there pulling the strings according to her moods which obviously would go against yours, after all it's her signature scent.
First, to me Cabochard is definitely a unisex scent (I am referring to the Eau de Parfum), and the big bow on the bottle looks slightly tacky. I also like the font used to write Cabochard, very 60's. There is this intense creamy soapy note straight after the first spray. A bit like a warning sign. I cannot smell anything smoky or ashy. Then that's when Cabochard start being temperamental and it's a hit or a miss. Miss, it stays soapy, nothing develops and it almost gets annoying (but you still like it because it's like a mischievous child who has been punished and who screams from the naughty step). Hit, it takes you straight back to the 60s like a classy vintage clothes shop, or to a journey of oriental, woody, leathery notes as long as you don't overdo it: there you are at one of the opening of the Cannes film festival, or at the Cafe de Paris in Regent Street, London. Here the rule of 3s applies more than ever: 1 spray on the chest, 1 spray behind each ear. More, and you are in the danger zone towards the naughty step...
Finally, Cabochard has a special place in my heart: it used to be my gran's signature scent for special occasions. My gran was like my second mum, she raised me when I was a kid. She has gone for a long time now, but when I wear Cabochard, it feels like she is still around, protective and caring.
Reviewers have written it smells like Aramis. Agreed, but Aramis is brash and brutal, almost in your face and does not evolve. Cabochard is classy, smooth and stylish. Maybe why it is marketed to ladies?...

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

Smoky, ashy, dry leather.

kit1982
kit1982

I went to a vintage store in Manila last Saturday. And I found a small bottle of Cabochard. The stopper and the other parts of the bottle is still in good condition except for the stained label, maybe due to dust and moisture,but this is only external.

Since the store owner did not know that this is quite hard to find, I got the bottle for only PhP 200.00 = 5.00 USD

Went home to celebrate!

Cabochard is more floral and gloriously richer than Azuree. I have not tried Bandit, so I can't compare. It also reminded me of Givenchy III, but among the three, Cabochard, Azuree and Givenchy III, my vote goes to Gres' candidate.

Since a lot of reviews are saying that Cobochard is already messed, I have to check the current version to verify.

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

I was cleaning my wardrobe and I found a bottle of this beautiful perfume which I had totally forgotten about. WOW, what a fantastic mixture of leather, oakmoss and tobacco. This is such a wonderful gem and just right for the colder weather. It is so very different from some that I have bought recently and I am loving the earthy aggressiveness of it. You certainly get a magnificent perfume for a relatively modest price.

malawakim
malawakim

This is such a fun scent, but unfortunately it's no good on my skin, but somehow 'sour'. However, if i spray it on my scarf i get exactly the unconventional, middle-aged bohemian i want to be and that i smelled from the bottle.

I also immediately thought of Chanel no 19 when trying it. They are similar in attitude; both with loads of integrity but Cabochard being more diplomatic than the bossy no 19.

My man had the same reaction as tkomaigo77: "gay leather club. nice."

This has become my favourite scent. I now have both the edt and edp, and they differ. The edt, described above, is a rough and refreshing leather scent (alas, not longlasting) while the edp is a more conventional chypre in a warm civet (although not listed) blanket.

noori
noori

I have the current EDT, I never smelled the original, and most likely never will, so maybe because of that, but I really love and appreciate the new Cabochard. It opens with a very herbal combination of notes (to my nose, similar to Aramis or Aromatics Elixir), and while it is good on its own, my favourite part is, when the heart- and base notes take over. Cabochard becomes a strong and prominent, dusty-smoky leather, with the (almost unfriendly) bitterness of oak moss (this time, it reminds me more of Bandit). Funny, but I find it a very comforting scent to wear.

orez
orez

Cabochard will always evoke for me a memory of my 19th birthday. I was a young soldier waiting for my date with a special air-force pilot with whom I was madly in love. He promised me a day in the big city, just the two of us, alone, all day. It held such a promise...But when he arrived he hurried me to the bus, told me he has no money on him, and when we reached the City he said he has a class to attend, took more money for the bus to the campus, and left me alone, stricken.
Alone, on the city's most fashionable street I bought an antique Chinese bracelet and a small bottle of Cabochard with a little bow around its neck. It was my first adult perfume: somewhat bitter, somewhat sweet, deep and mysterious...it saved the day.

cytherian
cytherian

Smelling it from the bottle is a different experience than when applied. Quite an eye opener.

What first brought me to trying Cabochard was smelling a mini bottle that belongs to a relative. I really liked it, a semi-sweet leathery spiced fragrance. I went on-line to see what the options were. Plenty of new formulations but also some vintage. I decided vintage would be best and so I bought a nice 1.69oz spray bottle.

I was expecting a smoky leather and spice impression, but at first spray there's a very prominent blend of geranium and patchouli that just *SCREAMS* older woman. Oh no... what the heck did I buy? I was flummoxed. A few minutes later, still there. A nice heavy floral bouquet reminiscent of a sweet grandma. So I left the fragrance on my hand and went about doing other things.

Maybe about 10-15 minutes later, I take another whiff. OK, now you're talking. The geranium has significantly receded. The patchouli is still there, but now there's a smoky quality and some leather in the foreground along with a citrus essence. The smoke remains quite strong, and one could perceive this as cigarette smoke residue on clothing. Definitely not an ash tray, as some have suggested. While I'm not a smoker (although I used to light up occasionally once in a blue moon, many years ago), there is something inherently nostalgic about that smoke essence being captured. The geranium and patchouli still remains enough to be smelled, but as an accessory to the overall fragrance. It keeps very unisex in the dry down to my nose.

Having resampled this a few times, I find that the smoky quality will vary depending upon my biochemistry of the day. Sometimes it is prominent, other times it is muted. Very interesting! But it also makes wearing it a challenge. One day I sprayed it on and thought it was too feminine--had to scrub it off. Another day I applied it and the smoky character came through, muting the floral accord. Weird.

This is a classy fragrance from days gone by. I can't recall coming across any other fragrance that captures this. Must be one of the few. And what's even more terrific is that Cabochard rides under the radar low enough to be quite affordable.

NOTE: If buying vintage, you're basically faced with several choices. The first and foremost are the older splash bottles that come in a variety of shapes. There are some special editions as well that come in a fancy box. Later on another bottle was produced that is tall and semi-oval. It has minimal decoration (this is the one I got). After this, the bottle has a bow molded into a hexagonal glass, as shown above (at least for the 100ml size). There are two versions of this, a slightly older one and the current release. I avoided the bow when I saw that a bottle without one could be had, as being a guy you know... ;-) Anyway, I have no idea about what reformulations may have taken place. I suspect not that much from the 90's onward.

tkomaigo77
tkomaigo77

Picture yourself wearing a slightly floral chypre accidentally walking into a gay bar on leather night. The bears are all wearing something spicy, and drinking some strong lemony concoction. You're totally blown away by the power this bizarre cloud of tobacco lemon and leather hold over you and your faintly detectable floral notes. All these circumstances combine to create a unique and intimidating experience that you may or may not want to run full speed away from. I hated Aramis but I may give this old girl a shot. Leather, who knew?

temporal
temporal

A recently purchased EDT is amazingly good! Cabochard has many shadows, the combination of which is quite intriguing, it's tobacco, mossy and juicy at the same time. It's vivid, but not heavy. The fragrance is well-structured and while developing remains articulated.

This fragrance proposes a certain role for its owner, which makes it different from many popular conformist fragrances. Cabochard has a strong individuality, which, I believe, was even stronger in previous times.

nellyrlight@aol.com
nellyrlight@aol.com

I used to love this..at least 2 decades ago..faintly remember the scent..wonderful memories attached to it.

Krupp
Krupp

Cabochard is MUCH like Robert Piguet Bandit, but it doesn't matter. Lots of leather fragrance in a delicious way. Evoke a nightclub for the wealthy in the 1930s BERLIN with plenty of smoke, decadence, expensive women and men with combed back hair a la Goebbels. I love the perfume, which despite its "for women" is an excellent fragrance for men too.

cwolf
cwolf

"I have come to the conclusion that wearing Cabochard is like trying to be that imaginary female: corseted and smoking, unable to breathe, and appealing only to men who don't actually like women enough to care how they feel."

Gosh, I love this comment. I'm sniffing my wrist right now as I nabbed a vintage mini at the flea market today for $2.80 - yes an oddly specific sum.
I can't say I ever understand the whole likening chypre's to sexuality. To me they remind me of Autumn in Europe, leaves, medicinal drinks.
I like this, I find it interesting but it is giving me a headache. Its so sharp and aromatic. It does feel dated, the type of woman it is presenting to me is someone bolshy and outdoorsy, who wears a lot of tweed and breeds hunting dogs, sharp nose, about 45 years old.
If it wasn't so sharp it might be a bit more wearable. I want to get to know this one but my nose is literally stinging and I feel a headache coming on or perhaps I need to find a way to dispense even less than 1 drop.
I'm only getting oakmoss, spices, geranium, leather, tobacco, orris root, herbs, vetiver, a hint of real musk or civet, I'm getting pine as well, even though it is not a listed note. Every time I search for more I come back with a stinging nose.

waddings
waddings

I used to wear Cabochard in the 1970s/80s and loved it's heavy woody and leathery nature with a vengeance. I still have just a little of this vintage fragrance left, and decided it was time I tried the reformulation so that I could compare the two. Today I've received a bottle of the eau de toilette - and though I know there are much more important things in the world to worry about, I think I'm about to cry with disappointment. After all, fragrance is not just a smell - it evokes people and places and memories.

This formulation is still powerful - but, on me, not in a good way. It's become cloying and is making me feel slightly queasy. I'll stick with it for a while longer to see if it settles down better, but I'm very doubtful. No wonder it's available at such a low price! I don't know whether it's worth trying the eau de parfum? I shall need to recover from this experience before I decide!

In the meantime, I shall be on a mission to buy more of the wonderful vintage Cabochard in the knowledge that when that's used up I'll never smell this amazing scent again.

Lakambini
Lakambini

Whoaaaaa, this stuff is strong! I applied a dab from a tiny vintage bottle with a gray ribbon, which had been very carefully kept by an older collector. The liquid was rich and almost oily on my skin. EDP, I think. It left my head reeling, but, get this – no migraine.

The scent that punched my nostrils was not a perfume, but an olfactory memory straight out of the collective imagination. Leather, rich new leather, tarry and woody, and an odor of banked fires, of ash, trail of smoke lingering in a room. Leather dominates. Dominates me. My face pressed into the seat of a new limousine, a glimpse of black riding boots, residue of smoke deep in my mouth. Jay Gatsby dreams and Tom Buchanan savagery. Not a whisper of sequin-shimmying girly-ness in any of this. Butch. Dom. I want.

jmbmars
jmbmars

I just bought the EDT. Cabochard is an awesome, dramatically lovely fragrance. I can't seem to get enough of it. I actually wish the leather and tobacco were stronger and louder. I can see where some would say it has a slight masculine tinge when first applied. However, the feminine qualities far out weigh that slight tinge. What else can I say, but, TIMELESS! BEAUTIFUL! SEXY! I want the EDP!

SolangeN
SolangeN

Not much going on with the newer EDT (in the wider, flatter bottle) in and of itself.

Very useful to layer with Chanel's newest No. 19 EDP reformulation, though. Adds some missing "cigarette butt" and oakmoss depth back in.

cologneking
cologneking

LOVE THIS FRAGRANCE!!! I am a guy and feel a guy can DEFINITELY wear this fragrance. Cabochard may be marketed to women back in the day, but today, a guy can wear this eau de toilette. It opens with light florals, orange blossom lite florals then quickly segues into a little honeyed tobacco and leather. The rest of the life and/or duration of this cologne is leather!; a very nice leather, like a favorite leather jacket or driving gloves...not a tarry, tanned leather. From the mid lifecycle to it's end, Cabochard is a leather scent. A perfect cologne for Autumn/Winter months and to wear into the office. Spritz sparingly because it can be a bit much if heavy-handed. The sillage is moderate and the longevity wears longer than average. You can find this eau de toilette at dirt cheap prices on discount websites for a good size bottle.

karenelliott
karenelliott

YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK!!! couldnt wash it off fast enough and Im on the verge of vomiting! This is the most disgusting perfumes I have ever smelled in my LIFE. I need something to get the memory of this smell out of my brain. Like when you eat something rancid and you want to get the taste out of your mouth so you can just forget it. Im traumatized

Jaccuse
Jaccuse

Cabochard is a favourite of mine....I bought it for my Mother and eventually because it is so masculine for myself. Gres happens to be one of my favourite Designer's. She is a LEGEND and her perfume is a very strong leathery pig-headed signature that underscores what she was all about. It basically demands that you love it or hate it....I LOVE IT!!!

liiva
liiva

I am really understanding and I always give to perfume second chance or more. But this.. I was trying to love, but I can not. I trying to found something good in this, but I really can not stand this perfume.
When I was saw perfume pyramid of this, I was thinking that this will be something very good, a bit sexy and dark, very classic and very special.
It is very, very sharp and strong. I am very sad. I am trying now to found something good, and yes- at any rate- I have a new perfume bottle who is pretty elegant .:)

degauss
degauss

How do I even describe my love for Cabochard?

The leather tames the tobacco in a smooth, complementary way; this is no tobacco-amber car scent. Subtle, dry and dark green it lingers around the wearer, while the timid, modest florals hide in the undergrowth, rounding it out slightly. The only thing I don't detect is the patchouli but in this case I don't even feel the loss all that much.
You must love the bitter things to like this, there's no way around it.

persefoni

this is far, far too masculine on me, and i honestly wear several men's perfumes... but this.... it smells like an old man's past glory.... not sexy, not soothing, not suitable... long lasting, yes, but not for girls under 60 ;)!!
( this is an edit of a previous review after several trials...)

rockegg
rockegg

This is the only fragrance I've bought more than twice. I've used up bottles over and over (with breaks) since 1973. I love this sophisticated scent. I know they've reformulated and have not bought, nor even tested, the new version yet. I dread it. As for you people who don't like it: good. There are a few of us who love this and want to treasure it all by ourselves.

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

[July 16th, 2013]

What a fine surprise it was when after having bought a bottle of Cabochard - what a suitable name! - the first sniff revealed a very close resemblance with a long, long-lost-in-my-past cologne by the Brazilian O Boticario: Connexion.
Cabochard and Connexion have an unquestionable resemblance due to sharing the following notes: patchouli, oak moss, spices, geranium, bergamot, tarragon and amber.
It is a very poignant fragrance and I truly agree with those who say Cabochard is suitable for both women and men. Strong women and men, because both are stubborn, bold, centre of attentions, sure of themselves..., mature.
Some reviewers say it is a "bad, horrible, stinky" and so on fragrance, but let us be honest: either it was not what they expected or they simply did not know how to experience a perfume.
What you get when trying Cabochard: a punch of leather, oakmoss, spices and tobacco (in my opinion). Dark, smoky, yes. Elegant, mysterious, yes. Not for teens, not for youngsters, not for watery-perfume lovers. Only for those who understand and match the notes and qualities of Cabochard.

Migalex
Migalex

This review is for the current edt. I absolutely adore the opening. It is dark, smoky, arid and dry but at the same time has got a fullness, ambery density. I do find it really pleasant on the top. As it develops, I start enjoying it a bit less, seeming to lose complexity and that multiple character, mostly the dense, round heaviness, to become simpler, preeminently drier and woodier, which is the side I enjoy less. Still, a very good fragrance, a great fragrance. Very powerful, excellent staying power and silage.
I do not find it as similar to Aramis as other people do. I do not even think it is similar at all with Aramis current version, which is much spicier than the original and quite different. I can see the similaraties with the original Aramis, but that is mainly in the opening of Cabochard, because afterwards it becomes much drier and woodier, and simpler as well. Aramis, despite being a masculine fragrance, used to have a more pronounced floral side, and was juicier and more ambery. Funnily enough, sometimes, when I wore it, I got whiffs of Ysatis, which I love.

Emmanouil
Emmanouil

What to say about MADAME GRES....even if,nowadays it is not so popular as it was,for me still remains one of the best companies.Cabochard,an all time classic masterpiece,exquisite...to be honest a little bit hard to tally with a woman skin.I bought it as a present to my mother a 60 years old lady, at the beginning she felt a bit uncomfortable with the spicy,leather,tabacco notes but later when time goes by she get used to it. Also enjoyable for men. I would recommend to try the Cabotine and the Cabaret.

vonMises
vonMises

Easily worn by a man or a woman. It is like Aramis original with some added floral notes. I sense white florals notes of some sort. And bit of ashtray at the start. But very nice.

This is the current formulation to which I refer. I suspect a bit too much is made of the vintage vs. current. This is a fine fragrance.

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

I have many fragrances to choose from, but when I don't know what to wear I wear this. I loved the smell of cigarette smoke on my grandfathers skin it was so comforting, a smell I couldn't stop breathing in. That's what I get from Cabochard not sweet pipe tobacco but cigarette smoke (gramps were military issue Lucky Strikes, he'd been smoking since WWII). There is a hefty dose of oakmoss and some thrift store leather in here, but it all comes together so right.

If you are hesitant to blind buy go to Ulta, sephora or Macy's and test men's aramis
Current formulation
EDT-from first spray, leather, oakmoss, smoke, it softens but stays true to these 3 for about 4-5 hrs.

EDP-this is where the aldehydes are, and that is what you get when you first spray it on, terrible drug store aldehyde,but wait, wait, keep waiting.....it drys down to the same smell as the EDT with just a little floral (geranium). Lasts at least 6+hours.

Vintage EDT-
at first spray it is similar to modern version but better because there is no hint of alcohol. The leather is softer and the tabacco classier. Upon drydown though it develops a wood like note, with some violet, that mimics the dusty notes that are present in Pierre Balmain Jolie Madame. It sits much closer on the skin,then the loud modern version. All three are wonderful, and have appropriate spots in my collection. This version is probably more versatile for everyday wear and even warmer weather.

Is this scent romantic? No. Is it for everyone? No. Will it last you longer than a carton of cigarettes? Yes and it is worth the small price tag.

lenorebarton
lenorebarton

Cabochard opens as a dominatrix. No smoking allowed? Ask her if she gives a damn. Cabochard snarls before grinding out her cigarette under a leather stiletto. A while later though I begin to sense oakmoss and something herbally green--then powder and a quiet floral. The dominatrix is still there, but maybe she's just pretending to be tough. Perhaps Cabochard isn't such a hard, cold bitch after all.
I do adore this unique fragrance. Anytime I have to be tough I bring this lady with me! She doesn't care what anyone thinks of her. Do you hate Cabochard? Good. One less birthday she has to remember. ;)

piapedersen
piapedersen

A beautiful scent! Wouldn't have worn it for money ten years ago, but I definitely like the soapy feeling there is to it. My mother used to have Miss Balmain on her shelf, and as a child I loved it. As I grew older I found it old fashioned and disgusting. That has changed now. Refreshing, clean and with a lasting power beyond the reasonable. I put it on yesterday morning and was still able to smell it before showering. 24 hours is amazing. The price is more than reasonable, since I got it for 10 GBP. I'm getting more and more fond of Gres perfumes

benpaul12
benpaul12

I got this perfume for my Mother based on the similarities and “Reminds Me Of” to the original Fendi EDP. It wasn’t much of a risk as I grabbed a bottle of this for about $12.

Before I gave it to my mother I gave it a spray. All I could think of was earthy talcum powder. A really strong hit from the patchouli, tobacco and oakmoss. It then started to soften with the deeper notes, giving a floral and spice mix with the aldehydes. What disappointed me is that it never became warmer. It remained a cold, sharp, aldehydic funk.

I guess the only similarity to Fendi is the spice and leather, but Fendi has a warm heart. This does not. This could be winter daytime perfume on a crisp sunny day – but that’s about it.

I don’t think this is dated or elderly, I do like the sharpness on a woman’s fragrance at times, but while this has personality, it represents a bit of a dark one.

My mother said it smelt like a sterile dentist’s surgery, appreciated the way it had personality but like me, found it a bit cold.

Momo2836
Momo2836

Putrid smelling! Just bought 100 ml BLIND 1 spray enough. I really thought I'd like it from descriptions of leather etc. it smells like a cheap charity shop: dirty unwashed mouldy clothes shoes and handbags. Not lovely expensive leather new shoes or bags. So disappointed. Listen to the bad reviews: stinky old ashtrays, forgotten festering bins. Who the hell wants to smell like this? Who'd like to arrange swap?

Jerine123
Jerine123

This is truly one of the greats! No bubblegum, caramel, cotton candy fruit fluff here. This one has substance and it is not afraid to show you. As you can see from the lists of perfumes I own, I don't mind a few caramels, but too many will make you gag and get fat. Vegetarians take cover because with the leather in this one, a cow must have died somewhere. It has a lot more than leather in the list of notes and as it simmers down from it's initial blast, which definitely gets your attention, it turns a little cleaner with the vetiver, but makes sure you don't forget that it is a perfume made for HER with just a touch of nature and floral (in case you might forget). An assertive female masterpiece! I have both the vintage and reformulated versions and they are both great! Not for the strictly flowery fruity lovers, but then again it might be fun to step into the deep end of the pool once in awhile.

Rizaldo
Rizaldo

Classic!!!!!

Kysyona
Kysyona

A slap in the face with an old dusty glove smudged in alcohol after wiping a spilled drink off a century-old rug stretched over a loooooooooong hall of a victorian villa in north London. A cream-coloured blouse with manly cufflinks with onyx, a vintage "doctor" bag carelessly thrown next to the sofa, cloudy skies foretelling an evening of burning the midnight oil at a cherrytree desk on a suede-upholstered chair. Green banker lamps, rain starting to spit onto the newly washed windows, a forgotten cigarette smoking itself
in suspense in a marble ashtray... This is what a vintage bottle breathes into my mind. What I got today in Galeria Kaufhof from a 30 ml EDT bottle reduced to 10 EUR was a fake leather belt blitz-wrapped around my neck and pulled hard until i saw the world spinning... I seriously thought i was going to faint, and I NEVER faint! This was a cocktail of death I wouldn't even serve to my worst enemy. Burnt rubber, the worst kind of faux leather, stain remover from the 70s spilled on top of all that and put on a slow fire. I could not stress enough how revolting that felt. Try it on an empty stomach and with sniffing salts at reach!
City association: North London
Persona association: Margaret Thatcher

pierson
pierson

My EdT of Cabochard arrived today, much to my glee. This was a blind buy, based on reviews here, and let me tell you, I am so very happy with this perfume.

I've never been one for a lot of florals, or with the very sweet, fruity, candy-like scents so popular now. I tend to like things that are spicy and woody; they bloom wonderfully on my skin.

Cabochard is gorgeous, exactly to my taste. Now I won't say that the first spray isn't a whack to the face, because it is. It's *intensely* patchouli and woody and earthy, painfully aggressive. But I've learned not to judge by the first sniff, and within ten minutes, Cabochard has softened and settled. I don't get any lemon or fruit in the opening; it seems to go directly to leather and spice and earth. A short while later sandalwood and amber show up. I don't get tobacco, but I do get oakmoss. No flowers that I can sense, other than a faint sweetness, not strong at all, more a suggestion or hint, which I assume is amber.

The leather comes on early and stays throughout. As time wears on Cabochard becomes softer, gentler, absolutely delicious. Very feminine without flowers or sweetness. It is somewhat masculine in the first hour or so, but it settles into definitely feminine without losing the leather or hint of earthiness.

This is a gorgeous scent that I could wear happily every day, switching off with Mont Blanc's Presence, occasionally tossing in either Chantilly or Toujours Moi for spicy oriental sweetness. I've never smelled vintage Cabochard, and if I actually did, I'd probably swoon from bliss.

Cabochard is definitely a try before buy scent. I consider myself lucky, but then I tend to like scents that aren't sweet-fruity-flowery, so I had an advantage others might not. Try it--you might like it.

Ad nauseam

Current Cabochard EDT is deeper and richer than current Cabochard EDP. The EDT still has oakmoss listed in the ingredients(the one I have does). The EDP does not list oakmoss and IMHO it has no soul.

EDP takes longer to reach the dry down but smells more synthetic at the top and has no depth in the base. The being said the EDT lasts and projects longer as well.

If you're going to get current version Cabochard, I highly suggest you get Eau de Toilette instead of Eau de Parfum. It's still pretty GOOD.

I'm on the look out for vintage now. I'm curious how the two versions measure up.

Henriette

Dear, dear, dear, most dear Cabochard,
what have they done to you? What has become of you?
I remember you were rich, so full of admirers and fans, so beloved and cherished.
You were strong, powerful, long lasting, multi faceted.
You stood among the others like a tower in a desert.
Your leather was opulent.
Your green notes were embracing.
Your flowers discreet but present.
You had no fear of smoking in front of others, you had no need to smoke in a rear room to hide and be ashamed of that and your smoke was good.
What has remained of you, in this sad second '10es is a fleeting ghost that does not linger on the skin, a fleeting phantom that gives no emotion the way you used to give.
What have they done to you, Cabochard?
I still continue loving you, like a childhood beloved friend whom I have lost forever because our roads departed from one another, but my lovely memories of you, dearest Cabochard, will remain firm in my heart.
Love,

persefoni

About a year ago i blindly re-bought it, the 100ml spray, as i had a bit of the original perfume left in a vintage bottle by my grandmother...

There was no comparison - even after 3-4 trials i thought it was a horrific reformulation...

Well, yesterday i gave it another try, in a much milder weather, and i was a bit surprised! It smelled totally different than before... It reminded me a lot of Givenchy III, which i consider a fresh, clean, very green and quite powdery smell! What a change!

So it's true that the weather, the humidity, our hormones, our skin condition perhaps even our mood affect what perfumes smell like on us!

Bajar
Bajar

I really like it but I'm searching for the vintage one. I have the recent formula, EdT, 100ml, sprayed only two or three times. Offers acceptable. (Europe only).

bananas
bananas

WHOA.... for an EDT this packs a mighty aromatic PUNCH!!!! All leathery, smokey ,chypre in it's unbelievable glory.
A Winter of obsessive content indeed.
This smells like it should be out of everyone's high-end budget alone but such a shame for the company that it can be bought for $30 Australian in obscure pharmacies if one hunts around or is a switched on fragrantica fanatic.
I LOVE LOVE it's uniqueness. Awesome sillage & longevity.

stormyla
stormyla

I just recently lucked into a bottle of the vintage EDT of this great fragrance. This bottle came in the old black and white grass wallpaper print looking package. Almost 40 years have passed since I last wore or smelled this scent.

This EDT packed a bigger punch than today's EDP's and even a lot of pure perfumes. This fragrance is up there with the best of the Cuir de Russies. It's both clean and dirty at the same time as well as vibrant and sassy. I find the opening intense but beautiful.

This fragrance has tremendous sillage and my vintage formulation has great longevity, more than 8 hours. This is a very classy fragrance, good for the younger women, as I was when last I wore it as well as for the young at heart!

Assiduosity

Cabochard is not what she was. Of that there can be no denying.

Today though still beautiful she has the bleak, too bony and hollow-eyed look and feel of a fashion model on the brink of despair.

But catch examples of her in her heyday and a different woman awaits you.

The ultimate in leather clad confidence, she is the chemical queen always on the lookout for a male sidekick. But for all this flint and bone oakmoss structure, the old girl could put on the curvaceous when she needed to: summoning up concupiscent curls of rose, orris root and sage seemingly on demand.

They have largely been withered away now to today’s etiolated example that can call only on watered down jasmine and synthetic if satisfying amber for strength.

Do not dismiss the latest headstrong girl because she’s still tougher than most men in the room. It’s just unfortunate she’s not the force of nature her foremother was.

But we will always have the memories.

Just as we will always have Paris.... and Paris belongs to all of us, men and women alike.

StarMagix
StarMagix

I bought the EDP version of this in a very large bottle for a very small price. It was a blind buy for me but it was made in Paris, the price was right, so I brought it home, read the notes and the reviews. They sounded good to me so I opened it and tried it. It is really a great fragrance. It reminds me of several other of my favorite fragrances so it is a keeper. Smells kind of like Shalimar but not really, & a little like Cinnabar but not as spicy. I like everything about it except the complete after smell left on my skin. The notes of the scent lasted a long time but when the notes were all faded away and just the very dry down was left, I did not care for that. When I do wear this one and I will, I will either spray another spritz before that dry down comes around, or shower. That way, I can completely enjoy this lovely scent.

Mama Dee
Mama Dee

I first rec'd this perfume as a birthday gift in the early 1970s. In the 1980s my husband purchased more perfume for me in a larger bottle. That bottle got spilled by a curious child, and my husband eventually replaced it, but the perfume didn't smell the same. Since that time, I haven't been able to find the perfume, and the EDT/EDP all smell like insect spray. I discovered that the original formulation had been changed and that accounted for the disappointing difference in the fragrance. The original fragrance was complex, sophisticated, and sweet. It lasted a long time and I tended to wear it more during the winter and in the evenings. I miss the original scent and wish the perfumers would STOP messing with the formula!

swedishclare
swedishclare

Firstly, I have the EdT, so that's what this review is based on. The first spray went on my arm and, to be honest, smelt of disinfectant followed by the odour of old ashtrays - which was not what I was hoping for. It was cold and sharp, but gradually smoothed out into a masculine-style scent that made me think of the 1950s, red lips, cigarettes and black leather clutches... I wasn't entirely sure I liked it, though it got a spontaneous compliment from my partner (few and far between on the perfume front). Leather, smoke and aldehydes...
Today, I decided to take a different approach and see if I could warm it up a bit, so have gone for a single cleavage spray and a woolly jumper. I sprayed it and waited... the heat seemed to bring out some lemon and the ashtray smell was much less pervasive, more purely tobacco and leather. After a few hours there is something creamy underneath it all, less aldehydes than yesterday and it's very very sophisticated (though I keep needing to sniff down my jumper, which does not feel sophisticated at all).
I wouldn't mind a little more of the amber underneath it, but I can always layer it with something... and as it is it's an unusual, smoky green gem in a leather setting.

annabolina
annabolina

This is the Great Middleaged Greta Garbo daytime wear fragrance...... in my opinion..... a little bit lesbian, a little bit pervert, but very sexy and feminin though....self confidant, intelligent, strong woman with the male-devil inside.

grasslands
grasslands

I'm trying the current reformulated EDP today. Unfortunately on me it's not so much leather as it is tobacco - and I mean ashtray tobacco. I thought of scrubbing it off, but I knew it wouldn't budge. What to do? I grabbed my bottle of Eau Dynamisante and sprayed it over the Cabochard. Voila, now I have a sweet warm woody fragrance with a hint of freshness and a slight wisp of smoke. Beautiful.

It also solved the problem of what to do with the Eau Dynamisante, which I love, but lasts all of three minutes on me. This is definitely a case of when two wrongs do make a right.

Ad nauseam

I did a side by side wearing of the current Cabochard Eau De Toilette and Estee Lauder Azuree which is an Eau De Parfum. Azuree's projection and longevity are both far superior to that of Cabochard.

I don't know why anyone would prefer Cabochard over Azuree other than nostalgia. It's like the current Azuree is the vintage and current Cabochard is the reformulation.

My opinion is if you like/love Cabochard you owe it to yourself to try Azuree. If you already have Azuree don't bother with the Cabochard etd.

trueblue19
trueblue19

The first time I tried this perfume (edp), I was struck by some nostalgic feelings. Then I realised the deja vu was credited to Miss Dior, my very first chypre perfume. Miss Dior is a pampered princess with unbounded self-will dashing into ballroom in her white prom dress, getting everybody mesmerised to forget about her being late. Cabochard is more sophisticated and elegant, a socialite in her simple but smart haute couture dark suit holding a cigarette walking through a crowded room quietly yet still getting everyone turning their head marvelling at her silhouette.

I'm not usually fond of patchouli much. I get patchouli from beginning to end in Cabochard yet think it beautiful. Oakmoss here is not rough or fluffy but quite smooth. I dont think this frag smells straightforwardly leathery. Even Kelly Caleche smells more leathery. It's more smoky with a hint of leather. One might easily think this is a very heavy scent reading all the comments. But if you actually try it, you'll find it surprisingly not so, even a bit ethereal. I've been wearing this for years and whenever I whiff wrist, I feel I'm putting my nose through smoke or fog. The closer I put nose to it the more it seems to slip away. The dry down is a very pleasant clean, dry sweetness of amber which I can never get enough of.

Cabochard walks her own path. She doesn't scream her uniqueness or sexiness but surely you can't ignore it. Even if she is not your type, you just can't help but appreciating her.

natural
natural

i can't believe that this one is a fragrance for women! so strong, masculine, leathery and smokey that made me sick! i HAVE to get rid of it!

Assiduosity

I'm currently rethinking my thoughts on the very thoughtful and not all headstrong Mademoiselle Cabochard.

A new and better thought out review will appear shortly.

I have the EDT and am guessing it to be a very tamed down version of the EDP that some seem to be reviewing here. Notwithstanding that - what an incredible scent: complex, elusive, confident. Undoubtedly there are both leather and tobacco in here but they are as polite as an Hermes bag and and the last embers of a sophisticatedly stuffed pipe. There's also so much more, definitely florals and a little powder, but not to much of either to compromise the overall feeling of power. Though predominantly the preserve of strong women - it reminds me of Miss Dior on my mother when I was a child - it could be and in in my case is worn by a man. Though to do so requires a little more bravery than spraying on Bandit which, in the age of Spicebomb et al, is practically what John Wayne would be wearing these days. On top of all the above, Cabo is a steal.

Anvil_of_the_Sun
Anvil_of_the_Sun

Cabochard is a superb retro leather chypre. Of all the fragrances I have tried to date, it wins out in terms of quality for cost: it is complex and engaging, well balanced, and Gres don't stint on the ingredients. The overall accord is very close to Bandit - it has the astringent, antiseptic, synthetic-citrus notes of that fragrance, but is just a touch more restrained, feminine and floral. This is one of the best '50s clutch' fragrances - you can imagine that Lauren Bacal's purse smelt just like this: expensive edc, cigarettes, facepowder ... and a little phial of smelling salts for that difficult walk across the parking lot. It's probably just a little too femme to work as a masc (a shame, because Bandit is superb as a masc, and Chab is so much more economical). It does layer well though (oddly, with Serge Lutens' Ambre Sultan or Chergui - Chergui in particular picks up well on the 'luxury soap' aspect of Chab) and that might just do enough to make it work on a man. I will drive to the South of France immediately with the first woman I meet who wears this during the day.

serflayg
serflayg

o ha cambiado demasiado con los años, o la reformulación es otra cosa en absoluto, comparados con las criticas que he leido esto no tiene nada de la fuerza y personalidad que todos cuentan.
En mi es un aroma afonico y pequeño que a los 15 minutos de ponérmelo dejo de sentirlo, por suerte es barato en strawberrynet.

vgd
vgd

Dominant tobacco with wearable leather. I cant detect other notes implicitly. Avarage sillage and lasting. Good price for its cost. Cabochard Gres says i am a women scent but IMO it's a unisex scent and I can wear it without any anxiety. I must specify that i like wearing masculine perfumes (polo cls, rive gauche etc...) and i use the EDT version.

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

Although I didn't like this on me, I admire its good points and can easily see why it has had such a loyal following as it enters its 50th year.

When I first put this on it smelt of sherry or ginger wine. A few minutes later and it smells of rather masculine scented talc.

However, after half an hour to an hour when it has really settled down, it smells exactly like a brand new leather jacket lightly smoked in expensive church incense.

If you like leathers and oriental spices you'll love this. It's incredibly good value right now as well.

My advice is give this is a chance. When it settles, it's worth waiting for. VERY leather, with a hint of posh incense. It's very good.

akats
akats

I remember the smell of Cabochard during late 70's. I had tested this many times, and it was the signature perfume of my aunt. It was very leathery but warm and floral as well. Back then, I was trying to find in vain another bottle of Quiproquo (also by Gres). So I was thinking to buy Cabochard instead, but I could not find much resemblance between them....until today!! I bought an edt of the latest formulation of Cabochard, and it remind me immediately of Quiproquo.

So.... modern Cabochard has now a very prominent lemony opening, together with tobacco, and spices. These adorable sharp and sour fresh notes, is the most nice surprise for me. This brief introduction, leads to the heart which is full of leather and flowers. Soft, tender, deep, mossy, erotic. In other words, perfect! My husband also wants it for himself, but don't ever think that it is masculine....

udate. After 6 hours and the smell is still marvelous. Dry down is gentle leather, mixed with spices and well settled vetiver with a pale faded floral compotition. I can also detect an echo of lemon somewhere there. The fragrance remains dry all the time but in a cozy nice way. Very good lasting power. I am very happy that I bought it and maybe is my first time that I like a reformulation so much.

My bottle isn't as this shown in the picture. It's as tall as this, but not in a pillar shape. Its a bit flat with black narrow slightly oval lid.

TillyWave
TillyWave

EDT Review

I've no idea of the history of the bottle I possess, as I got it in a swap. The bottle is oblong, and doesn't look like the one pictured. The perfume that sits on my skin bears little resemblance to the reviews I've seen here and elsewhere.

The top notes go by in a flash, in a bitter-astringent haze of alcohol, splashed on a small piece of leather, along with a burning rubber smell that probably went well with smoky living rooms of the 1950's. This is actually all quite enjoyable to me, as it lasts only minutes. That part reveals a slightly leather, slightly smoky note that I can barely discern before it is gone.

Quickly we have the drydown, which in me is a lovely garden of dusty flowers, overlaid with a natural, gentle citrus that reminds me a bit of Azuree. Actually the final and long lasting stage of Cabochard is rather sweet and floral, and sits close to the skin. I find it only appropriate to wear this in the summer, when my skin has some heat to it, because otherwise I simply can't smell it--it's that demure.

I like it, but it is certainly a far cry from the tobacco-smoky-leather thing that most are reviewing. Maybe it's just my bottle, or maybe the EDP is a different animal.

FunkyTomo
FunkyTomo

As im quite new to the "Hobby" that is perfume-mania , I hadnt had any experience with leather perfumes before i got a great bunch of samples off a fragrantican some time ago , when I had realised that one genre missing from my small but growing wardrobe was LEATHER. Getting to opp to test 2 well loved leathers was great :)

I was hoping to love one or the other and then i could make a purchase which would go towards a "proper" frag wardrobe that covers all genres/eras/styles............( Im still a long way off that dream , but im getting there slowly but surely , bottle by bottle , step by step!)

..........On first test all those months ago , i didnt care for either Cabochard or Bandit , however , as i didnt hate bandit as much as the former , i knew id give it a re-test in the future.

Having a quiet night in , i thought id give the 2 popular leathers a 2nd chance. Side by side comparison

I have Cabochard on one wrist on bandit on the other. In all honesty i still dislike cabochard intensely , its too dry , too harsh and it reminds me of old ash trays . Sorry to fans - no offence intended , just stating my honest opinion.

I really wanted to love cabochard as i love the whole "dominatrix" vibe thats mentioned in these reviews. . . Alas this love affair with Cabochard wasnt to be !

On the other hand , BANDIT has grown on me and gone from dislike to like. Compared to the Cabochard it is so much smoother , and a little sweeter i cant isolate any 1 floral , but the touch of sweetness is there. The best thing about BANDIT is I can actually detect a warm, , sexy robust leather smell from start to finish. It reminds me of my dogs leather harness or a horses saddle. Strangely comforting! I can also detect the green chypre facets - Oakmoss n Galbanumn , which is all good as i love oakmoss/chypre scents. The floral sweet nuance is blooming more now ( 2 hrs into wearing) , i also detect a slight BO note , must be the civet ( i have never smelt isolated civet , but im pretty sure its the culprit of the sweat note here!) , the sweat/BO note is not too strong and it goes well with the blend IMO , it doesnt put me off. It actually smells quite appealing , in the way a lovers leather jacket with there body smell on could be an aphrodisiac.

The sweet floral and chypre touches make this BANDIT infinitely more wearable than Cabochard IMO.

I dont know on which occasions id wear this perfume I think it would be nice as one to wear just for myself as a bedtime "comfort" scent. ( i love to smell a perfume on my arm as i fall asleep , does anyone else have this odd behaviour! ) I cant stop sniffing my arm and i think a purchase is in order , a decant maybe. Im glad i gave this a 2nd chance . Cabochard however is a no-no , its just "too much" , maybe it clashes with my chemistry.

A side note on Gres - Out of a 20+ testers the only 3 I disliked were Cabochard-Gres , Ambre de cabochard - Gres, Cabotine-Gres . I had thought that Gres is not for me , until i tried Caberet - which is a lush vintage rose vibe . Thank God for Caberet , or id have written Gres off compleley!

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

I managed to purchase the EDP which according to reviews is hard to find. MAN was I excited to get this.

First spray to the skin was golden and rich with extremely promising leather tobacco and spicy notes. A few minutes later it dry's down to a lighter more tamed version of BANDIT.

I don't like BANDIT and hardly get any leather in it. I get more spices than anything else.

Not bad but not what I expected. I will give it another go before I dump the bottle.

For an EDP it doesn't have screaming sillage or richness to it.

LOLAISA
LOLAISA

I got today from discount shop Jolie Madame and also fund in the same shop CABOCHARD! What a find! It was the only 2 perfumes sold in this shop and as I knew before that both this perfumes are leather scents I only wanted to buy Jolie Madame, I thought that this two are similar, but NO not at all, nothing even close! If you like leather you have to own BOTH!!! I bought both and I'm in love with this to perfumes!!!
By the reviews I read I thought that cabochard is very strong intoxicating scent, someone mentioned that it is masculine and to strong to be worn by a woman, I will have to disagree here! I found Cabochard really wearable, quiet clean and FEMININE. Really elegant and classy scent very ladylike... I think that the bottle suit the scent perfectly, simple flacon in Glass with carming matte bow.
I wanted to blind buy it before as we do not have it available in shops here in France, but I was really scared that Cabochard will be strong tobacco leather almost mens scent, so glad that I found it and was able to try before buying!!! Fortunately do not fill any tobacco notes on me and it is just beautiful!!!
Even my husband who usually hates scents complimented me on Cabochard, and believe me it is VERY rare when he makes a compliments on perfume.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

Awesome! I am so glad to have this site! I have researched all the perfumes I have loved in the past and it gives me confidence going forth in my purchases. Thank you....

Cabochard is ANOTHER blind buy that is tailor made for me. In fact the GRES company is tailor made for me. I have Cabotine and it is lovely and one of my perfume personalities. But Cabochard is my favorite personality tough, passionate and deep.

In closing, I highly recommend this to ladies 30 and up. It is smoky, powdery, sexy and nothing like the modern fragrances out today.

gazelle
gazelle

Bought Cabochard EDT pictured above. The evolution took me back in time to a fragrance in my young adulthood. When I read down the reviews, Windy's review reminded me what it was-Lentheric's Tweed circa early 1960s. I just know the Mrs. Marple of the 30's movies would be comfortable wearing Cabochard with her tweed suits on her evening constitutional walks. (I'll wear denim.)

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

@ vanillatabbycat,

Get Cabochard (which I see you have done) AND Habanita, neither disappoints and both are reasonably priced. Even if those are the only two fragrances you ever bought - you wouldn't feel like you would be missing anything else.

I see you are currently wearing Tabu - love your taste! They SO don't make 'em like that anymore.

VanillaTabbyCat1963

I recieved Cabochard EDP today in the mail. I love foresty chypres, but reading reviews about Cabochard confounded me, which only piqued my interest more. Is this like a wood nymph in leather hooked on malboros? Way off. This fragrance is just gorgeous!!!It is more beautiful that I could have possibly imagined. I cannot stop smelling the spot on my arm I sprayed. On my skin it is very sweet and green. Not mossy, but like fresh, new beginnings. I know there is none, but I smell a bright and juicy sweet fresh lime accord. In my mind's eye a green ball of fire is spinning around. Out of the center of this ball of energy, the other aspects of this fragrance thread slowly and tenaciously out to where they can finally be appreciated. Catch them if you can!! The elegant leather I smell is working in tandem with the sweet, juicy citrus by lending gravity to Cabochard giving this Gres a very grown up, sexy vibe.

VanillaTabbyCat1963

Hello Cabochard lovers who have used Habanita. I am interested in purchasing one of these fragrances, yet I am having a difficult time deciding!! They both sound very interesting. I love deep, incense and sandalwood-patchouli with a touch of sweetness. Thank you for your help!!Annalisa

Maylone
Maylone

I must say that aspirina's husbands description got a thumbs up from me too. Though I absolutely love this perfume and want to find a second bottle, the complete honesty of it's effect on him was so well described that I very much respect him for expressing it while not focusing on why anyone would like it. Well done! But....I do love this perfume. And my man does too. :)

paleface
paleface

This first remark is to aspirina:
Oh, I LOVED your husband's sharp and exact English, wow! English is by no means my native language, but boy! could I appreciate those hilarious expressions and fantastic metaphors! At the same time his text proved that smells can cause a lot of feelings, good, bad and ugly... I have to repeat, I really enjoyed his review and laughed out loud as you did!

Then to the perfume itself, which brought about aspirina's DH:s outburst, almost a cry of distress ;-)

Nobody, even the sworn friends of strong and strange odours could say that Cabochard is easy. And that is - to me - one of it's beautiful qualities. It's not an ordinary, casually sprayed lame liquid before going out and have some shopping. You need to be in a right mood at right time of year. When the sun is burning fiercely and you are sweating, feeling tired, dreaming of forests and shadow and spring water... then it's the very moment to take out Cabochard and enjoy that calming bitterness and refreshing greenness the scent offers. Sweet, gourmand or playful perfumes have their shares - but I almost shiver thinking of putting on one of those in hot summer. They tend to change syrupy - and you have enough stickiness on behalf of yourself.

So, if you think that Cabochard is too-something or not-enough-something, perhaps you should try it in the middle of summer. Cabochard has survived many decades, so there must be just-right-something in it... waiting to be discovered.

Mistress Eva
Mistress Eva

Might I strongly oppose the viewpoint of the next review in line... Cabochard is a fragrance with a great deal of gravitas behind it, which some, admittedly, can't handle. Although in my 20's, I am often drawn to fragrances that have withstood the test of time -- and I hate today's saccharine fruity florals and vanilla atrocities. Cabochard is much different; derived from an Indian perfume blend decades ago, it is androgynous, yet darkly, supremely feminine at the same time. It is leather and incense and intoxication all rolled into one. If you don't have the presence and personality to wear it, don't bother. But if you enjoy something quite unique, exotic, vintage, and powerful, give it a go. I can see this perfume on someone who tends to overdress in their autumn years or someone who occasionally frequents a BDSM dungeon -- it just needs a strong woman to exude from.

aspirina
aspirina

Cabochard, Cabochard...what can I say? Today this...cantankerous fragrance came into my life and, regrettably, is now inextricably linked with my mind's conception of the world of fragrances. When I first smelled this horse's hindpart of a nasal assault, I was blinded by images of grandmothers...my own...other people's grandmothers...coming to kiss me in funeral homes, or in churches which looked strikingly similar. I found myself transported back to that world where I was but a footnote to the family-sanctioned gluttonous revelry of my elders. This...perfume...if I may so flatter it, is enough to make perfectly happy nostrils want to close up shop early...it is enough to make your dinner date complain that he suddenly has come down with streptococcus...and I am pretty sure there are a couple of minor socialist dictatorships that could be toppled by its strategic use. In closing, I will say this, if the choice were presented to me, "sniff Cabochard or die," I must admit I would hesitate before inhaling once more this odious and disorienting fart of a perfume.
Edit: the review was written by my husband ...and i am just laughing loud ..i never thought he could find this perfume a total turn off....i like it though ..a bit too much patchouli and cigarette smell ...but very herbal and similar to chanel 19.

claudja smeller
claudja smeller

(PORTUGUESE)Cabochard: Onde os fracos não tem vez!!

(ENGLISH) Cabochard: Where the weak do not have time!

boruvka44
boruvka44

EDP - refreshing, tobacco-leather chypre on wooden base. The smell of just opened pack of cigarettes in a brand new leather pouch, with a hint of wet vetiver. Luxurious and mysterious.
It maybe seems to be masculine, but it will punctuate sweet and fragile type of women as Catherine Deneuve.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

Review for EDT: I wanted to love this scent. The complexity of the composition seemed so appealing! The opening blast reminded me a little of Miss Balmain, but I was disappointed when, on my skin chemistry, the dry-down was an uncomplicated, very dry, and very stale leather. I don't have the right chemistry for it!

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

I love scents that have a strong identity of their own, well, Cabochard definitely does. It's not flowery, it's not herbal, it's pure leather with wood and incense smoke. It's like walking into a cathedral with a bonfire of nature burning in the middle.
It's stubborn (like the name) and different. I always compare its unmistakable character to the likes of Magie Noire or Shalimar. Not in a sense of smell, but in the fact that once you've smelled one of these stubborn and unique ladies, you instantly recognize them.
This is not for everyone. If you like cheery flowery scents? No. If you like baby powdery scents? No. If you like fruity fresh? No. But, if smoky dark scents are your thing? Yes! People who do not want to draw attention might want to steer clear from it, because the simple fact is: you may hate or love Cabochard, but you can't ignore it.

MariaG

I love this scent, I own Bandit,Azuree and Chanels cuir de Russie and Cabochard is another leather scent.. But for some reason it's far far less expensive than any of the others... but that doesn't mean that it's a "cheap" scent, by that I mean it screams quality.. The edt has an Indian feel..and to me it's even better than the edp but I wear both at the same time... I wear this and I receive compliments...try a bottle..it's around £20 for 100ml, even if it's not your thing it won't have broken your bank account....

The_Entity
The_Entity

Ive been looking for this frag a long time. Im 23 and like the old, heavy frags. Very intense, dusky, heavy, and as mentioned in some previous comments, even could be offensive and headache inducing for some others.

I LOVE IT :)

bumbilici
bumbilici

have patience with this smell.for me, it's the best only after two hours.love it, love it...

feelawesomerobot
feelawesomerobot

This perfume is totally offensive. Not in a bad way but it is. I can speak with all honesty when I say that I really only wear this perfume to bed.

MariaG

I have tried the EDT and love it, is there a EDP and where can I buy it???

missan
missan

Hi Mooniq, what concentration were You testing? Was it a new formulation?

Vilken koncentration var det Du testade?
Var det den senaste versionen?

andreiaidsoe
andreiaidsoe

Its too strong, not really give me any desire to use it at all...I reading the nice reviews here and can not figure out its abou the same perfume we are talking about...

When reading about Cabochard I was afraid this would be a nosepunching scent, but its not. Warm, soft and stays close to my skin. Great. Some leather, some tobacco, some musk, a hint of flowers - not sweet - this flowers are deep and adult and wonderful. A think this scent is a bit vintage. Wonderful!

När jag läste om Cabochard så trodde jag att denna skulle knocka mig helt. Men icke, det är en varm, mjuk doft som stannar nära huden. Superhärlig. Lite läder, lite tobak (eller rökelse) lite musk, en aning om blommor -inte modernt söta utan djupa, vuxna blomnoter. Denna doften tycker jag är lite vintage. Härlig!

Aredore
Aredore

I was born in the late eighties, I came of age in the last decade and I’m therefore free of nostalgia for the “classics.” (Excepting the Chanels, which my mother wore.) Smelling Cabochard today, I am spared the “Planet of the Apes” moment old fans must feel, when like Charlton Heston, they cry in despair “You took out its BRAAAAAAAAAAINN!” This is the sad truth, my friends; whatever it was, Cabochard just isn’t anymore.

I got a complicated, but stale, jasmine floral with a base that was more musk than leather. It has a sort of face powder and tobacco accord as well. I wouldn’t say it's bad, but whatever perfect balance of lush floral, tobacco smoke, and rich leather that gave Cabochard its magic is disturbed and gone. Today it smells like the bottom-of-the-purse deleterious of a chain-smoking woman.

kris919
kris919

Not a big fan of this leather. For the first hour, it's terrible on me, there's a screaming floral note that annoys me, then the leather appears but it is clouded by the dirty tobacco note. muffled leather, dirty tobacco, and horrid floral opening. extremely dry and dull. The ending drydown is a little nicer, but not enough for me to purchase this again.

the churumbel
the churumbel

Al fin lo tengo y es maravilloso la salida es un poco diferente pero el secado me regresa a mis 20 añitos. es tan acojedor y tan intimo.Tiene un cierto grado de masculinidad pero de exquisita manera, tambien es sumamente sensual. y dura largo tiempo.

Amour, Michele
Amour, Michele

Amazing. This is very similar to Chanel No. 19 EDT although Cabochard is more masculine and more herbal. It is not "feminine" by any standard if you compare this to perfumes launched in the mainstream the last 20 years. But, I find this simply divine, so seductive. I'm not sure who said this in one of the reviews, but this is Marlene Dietrich of perfumes--it's that ultra femininity you get when you pair a beautiful woman with something ultra-masculine, like Marlene in her tuxedos.

Older style chypre that starts strongly french with soft powdery florals underneath and dries ultimately to a over-powdery galbanum on my skin. Pass.

Sassy1
Sassy1

Sadly, leather's do not appear to be my thing...

This one and Fendi smell like nothing but stale tobacco to me. I keep trying to get past it but I'm not finding anything pretty at all here...what am I missing?

All I can think of is the overly tan wrinkly skinned diner waitress in her polyester uniform with bee hive hair and a deep gruff voice from smoking too many cigarettes on her break...hack, hack...

So I think I will try layering this one with something sweet and floral and see if I can't raise beauty from the ashes.

Wish me luck!

Windy
Windy

Love it - reminds me of Lentheric's orignal Tweed.

This is a perfect scent for fall and winter!!! What a find.

EK
EK

Finally, I got it. I was so curious (blind buy). Wow. It opens with a burst of leather that almost knocked me out. So so strong, not like a leather bag or a pair of new shoes, but a real leather workshop. More masculine that anything I've ever had.So different, and so "huge".
The leather note goes on all the way, even all through the drydown. Actually the drydown seems to develop too constantly during the more than 8 hours it lasts on me. Impressive longevity for an EdT! Good sillage as well.
This is not for any mood. I find no sweetness, only little tenderness when it dries down.
I know it's from a later decade, but it gives me associations of 1930'ies nightclubs, gamblers and bootleggers, big cigars and hidden guns - arrogant mafia mistresses with a dark aura of mystery and class.Or a film noir based on a Raymond Chandler novel.
A very adult perfume, not old, but with a sense of experience and strength.
Cabochard is magnificent. Don't wear it with a light flowered summer dress.
Love it.

Esscentially299
Esscentially299

Tobacco, vetiver, sandalwood...after an aggressive opening. Need to be patient with this one.

Eventually settles down into something intriging on the skin, but never tame. This is easily a unisex fragrance. Sexy but not tender. A little goes a long way: a dab on the wrists and in the base of the throat. And this is EDT! I have to be in the mood for this one, but have had it in my collection for a long time. I reach for this one when I don't want to smell ladylike, and I'm bored with sweet smells. Kind of an acquired taste but one worth developing, as it can satisfy these needs well. I think Cabochard teaches that beauty is not necessarily "pretty", and that satisfaction need not be "sweet". Cabochard is a darkling of the perfume world. One well worth cultivating, too.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

Another bargain from Parfums Gres, Cabochard is well worth dabbling with if you care for chypres or leathers. It comes on strong: one part "don't trifle with me", and another part "you know you want me". Let it dry down thoroughly before deciding whether you like it, as the opening can be a bit brash. Once dry it goes all smoky and leathery with an undercurrent of spice and the chypre effect of oakmoss and patchouli with a hint of floral. Smouldering is the word here...Leather-covered pillows, a fur rug, shared cognac glass, and a hot fire -level smouldering. I wish that it had a projection and duration to match its personality---I'll try over-applying it next to see if that helps, and I will probably order the EdP at some point to test drive that too. Nota bene: if, like me, you adore Chergui, but find it financially punitive to keep on the shelf, give this a whirl as an alternate; it's not identical, but can do a decent stand-in, especially if you layer it with something creamy. Upsides: very affordable, lasts a long time on skin and especially on fabric. Downsides: over time the composition gets a little ragged, with the smokiness going off into a stale cigarette direction.

jtd
jtd

Expectation works against Cabochard, poor dear. Many compare it in its current form to a vintage model. I’ve never smelled vintage Cabochard, so that expectation isn’t an issue. My expectation, and I’ll own it, comes from Cabochard’s family resemblance to Aramis by Aramis and therefore to Estée Lauder’s Azurée. All are leather chypres originally created by Bernard Chant. I have versions of Aramis and Azurée bought within the last five years---ostensibly current issue. They are spectacular in recipe and ingredients, and can be compared head to head (to head) with any other leather chypres, whether niche or designer. Cabochard, sadly, cannot. Not to be simply judgmental, I’ll say that Cabochard is like a grainy, blurry photo of either Aramis or Azurée. I can see that the topnotes are meant to capture the same strong, dry bitterness as found in either of the other two, but it comes off as both shrill and thin at the same time. And it falls apart so quickly! Within five minutes it becomes clear that Cabochard won’t venture down either the leather or chypre paths, instead becoming a disorganized but harsh dry woody fragrance.

I won’t flog a dead horse. I’ll just say that Aramis proves that Cabochard need not be so bad. The Cabochard dilemma makes me consider a few angles on the difficulties of reformulation. I know that reformulation has always occurred in perfumery. This current quandry, though, due firstly to restriction on ingredients and then the meanness of the companies ordering the reformulation, seems to be particular to our time.

Some thoughts.

Zombie or Ghost?
I’d call Cabochard the unequivocal zombie, dead but still lurching among us. The name is the same, the bottle is a knock-off of the original, the juice is a cheap, cynical reformulation. Cheap, since clearly no quality ingredients were harmed in its making. Cynical, as it rides on the longstanding reputation of both the vintage perfume and the perfumer, but doesn’t offer either quality or creativity in the reformulation.

There are quite a few ghosts out there, but who they are will depend on your perspective. I find the current Vetiver by Guerlain sensational. I vaguely remember Vetiver back as far as the 1980s, and while the current rendering might be different, it is still my favorite vetiver by yards. For many, though, it is fallen just enough from its former state that they won’t wear it. Vintage Vent Vert is universally acclaimed, the 1990 version by Calice Becker was apparently a welcome ghost, and the current version is generally panned (zombie.)

Quality Reformulation
Whether done covertly (Mitsouko? Chanel 5? Habit Rouge?) openly (Cuir de Lancome ) by full-on resurrection (Azzaro Couture, Robert Piguet’s Baghari) or some combination of the above (Aramis Gentleman’s Collection) quality, money, consideration and talent pay off. (Quick note, of the acknowledged reformulations that are highly praised, it is startling how often the names of Becker and Aurélian Guichard come up.) Restrictions on the use of classic components is a drag. Fortunately, though, innovations in chemistry and botany give us powerful new tools.

Maintain the Quality of your Heritage Products
Sounds like a simple strategy but I don’t imagine that it’s necessarily easy, with changing access to botanicals and year to year fluctuations. Some make solid efforts in this direction, Chanel and Guerlain being good examples. Others, less so. I’ll leave it up to you to identify these houses. Special mention should really be made here of Estée Lauder’s success. It’s heritage products (eg. Azurée, Knowing, Alliage) continue to be available and at remarkable prices (take that, Guerlain Derby.)

Die a Good Death
There are so many vintage perfumes that lived great lives, were a gift to those who wore them, and then went away, whether remembered today or not. I’m all for preservation, and recognize that the art of perfumery remains largely undocumented and without theoretical consideration in the formal sense. There should be as many institutions like Osmothèque as there are modern art museums. The Theory of Perfume should be an elective in mainstream universities. (I’m not kidding.) But I also recognize that perfumery is an art that, like dance, is experiential and temporal. In fact, this aspect of both dance and perfume is both desirable and noble. It helps me to feel alive to be in the midst of something beautiful that will in fact end.

Simply, Change
Robert Piguet’s line is a good example of the value of multiple strategies. Bandit, Fracas, Baghari, Futur---reformulate to the original specs as best you can with good intentions, quality components and creative talent. But then there’s Visa. What a simple, smartly executed notion: keep the name, allow a great perfumer (again Guichard) to reincarnate it. No deception, no lie, no marketing sleight-of-hand. Visa isn’t an attempt to recreate the original. It takes the qualities and intentions of the original and then gives us something novel. Piguet’s latest, Douglas Hannant, a straight-up new fragrance, is an equal member in the line with the icons Bandit and Fracas.

Find a New Solution
Sure, there are whole categories of fragrance that are new—candied gourmands, aquatics, transparent orientals. But there is also an attempt to reinterpret a genre that’s been stymied. I’ve never tried 31 Rue Cambon, but I respect its statement of intent: to recreate the chypre without oakmoss. Successful? Not? I’ll leave it up to you who wear it. What I appreciate is the attempt to deconstruct the chypre, step away from it, weigh its abstract qualities, and reconsider them with a different construction. There is something intriguing about this approach. The perfumer must be passionate about a form, yet disinterested in the analysis. I have faith that this will give us some great perfumes.

missymary
missymary

OMG this is like putting your nose into a leather tobacco pouch, when its reeking with a pungent mingling of the two scents. It's as tough as whiplash and as intense as a smouldering Cuban cigar. Cabochard is so in-your-face butchy smoked-leather that I can't believe its sold as ladies. It's several notches up the gender-bending scale from Bandit and Jicky. It clings for ages. And all for a bargain basement price. If that floats your boat, no reason not to give it a go.

Fizzy
Fizzy

It is a leather dry fragrance with extra portion citrus and lemon. Sharp and without sweetness in it. Very long lasting fragrance and a nice scent for the Dorothy and Sophia characters from the "Golden girls".

stelladoro
stelladoro

Cabochard has character and an unrelenting presence: very green, smokey, Moroccan leathery, and tinted with spice. I never thought of it as a floral, and the rose is meek, softening the edge of the more powerful notes. I love to wear it in autumn, no idea why, and when wearing boots and pants and a tweed jacket. I didn't know there was a new formulation - I still have a little more than one out of three original bottles left, I've worn it for decades. Not a young or shy woman's fragrance.

Aubynik
Aubynik

Oh Cabochard, you are a heart breaker.

This is such a sensational fragrance.
Not for the weak of heart, shy, or the unconfident.
This radiates as someone who is assured of themselves and comfortable in their own skin. They aren't afraid to be who they are and and very confident in their sexuality.

On the first spritz you are taken by surprise with its sharp spiciness. Later, the dry down turns into sexy leather with the slightest hint of tobacco on my skin. There is a slight softness to counteract the complexity of the dry down. Maybe the sandalwood?

No matter what the notes are, this one is a classic.

Edit:
I've had this fragrance close to a month and the more I wear it the more I fall in love. With time, it seems that I have picked up on more of the warmness in the perfume.
I tend to grab this for nights out, for work when I'm feeling feisty, or even when I'm snuggled with a book and a glass of wine.

It is a scent that enhances the mood when you are self assured.

diddyscafe
diddyscafe

I just scored a vintage 100 ml EDP today, at a tiny, tiny rundown perfume shop for about $20!!!!! Isn't this bargain of the century of what? Yes, it's leather, leather, smoke and more leather... But what an intriguing fragrance!. Very sexy, like the scent of Aston Martin DBS interior leather. Must wear this with thick, black cashmere sweater and leather pants.

I never had the chance to smell the original Cabochard yet, but I've to say that the current formulation still smells pretty good. It opens with a bitter green accord while extremely pitched citruses float around. Floral patterns make their appearance together with animalic leather notes adding body and complexity to this extremely influential fragrance.

A point of strength of this composition is the apparently "simple smell" that makes of it an easy option for leather beginners as well as a satysfying experience for the most trained noses. I trust more aknowledged reviewrers than I, that current Cabochard has almost nothing to do with the vintage version, but IMO it still smells much better than the majority of today's mass market fragrances.

While Cabochard is anything but aged, it still has a remarkable old-fashioned vibe that works as a reminder of its status as a classic leather-chypre. Definitely unisex. A mandatory try!

jasmasid
jasmasid

Cabochard has been a permanent part of my perfume wardrobe for several years, but I have to be in the mood for it. Even so,the actual pure parfum (if you can find it) is quite a unique fragrance and significantly different from the Eau de Toilette which is no more than a pale shadow of the Cabochard soul. A few drops of the pure parfum goes a very long way indeed and is at its best in winter.
I recall one freezing winter evening, when somebody opened the door to let me in for a dinner party and immediately went, "Wow! What's that perfume?"
The fact that I was in a black chiffon sari must've added something to the general feeling of this scent...they knew what they were doing when they packaged it in a black and gold box.

arturo2000
arturo2000

Excellent perfume with a strong leather aroma. I love Cabochard

id
id

Superb! And for such a reasonable price. As a lover of leather scents I wouldn't call it cloying or heavy. It is rather deep for me. Very affordable and not casual the same time. Must try and must have. Impressive sillage and longevity even for EDT. Thank you, Madame Gres.

daliflora
daliflora

oh, this used to be such a fascinating fragrance for me during my teens, as it was the signature fragrance of my mother at that time. very powdery, dry and aldehydic, though so elegant, crisp and subtle ... although I wouldn't wear aldehydic perfumes myself, I would rate this 5/5, as a fragrance of its type. Highly recommended, I believe.

rosso72
rosso72

I have just got my delivery today-Cabochard Gres. It is really strange, I am not sure I like it, my first feeling was that is too flowery, after 20 min too much sage... I thought that will be similar to Fendi by Fendi but is compleatly different... but is nice, a little bit sharp. I think that in a couple days I will know. Or maybe I know already?

pippab
pippab

Cabochard's been one of my favourites since the 70s when it was part if a miniature set of five I was given including Capricci, L'air du Temps, Joy and Antilope (all outstanding classics). To me it has an attractive metallic note (it doesn't sound attractive I know, but it's the only way I can describe it).

It's been re-formulated, and while I still love it, the fact that the new reformulation doesn't last long on me ( I have the EDP ) would probably put me off buying it again. I prefer Lauder's Azuree these days - it's Cabochard with gonads!!

LuElste
LuElste

The favorite of my grandmother, an elegant woman, with refined preferences! Indeed, it was with her I learned to love perfumes.
Dry and chypre.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This EdT, presumably the reformulated version, is basically a classic aldehydic chypre that starts out bitter, greenish, and not too sweet or floral. As it dries down, it takes on some all-purpose floral notes as well as a dusty, musty, woody scent that I assume is from the iris and leather accords that were used. It doesn’t last very long, maybe 3-4 hours, but that’s OK since it’s not something that I’d want to spend a whole day with. Having tried this new EdT, I’m curious to try an older version.

dreamcatcher
dreamcatcher

It's a "love me or leave me" perfume: dark rough smoky leather, very sharp and dry chypre. You don't wear it for someone, you wear it just when the mood is right: femme fatal-ish, angry-sh, heartbreaker-ish.

Inspire0111
Inspire0111

No way, this can't be perfume!!! It is soooo strong and stinks. If you want people to run away from you, you can be certain this perfume will achieve exactly that. It amazes me to see so many good notes in the composition of this perfume, and yet the result is a strong leather-tobacco kind of smell which is so harsh it can almost kill you.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Thanks to Yamba1 for the sample. I found this to be a really uncomfortable perfume to wear, it felt "scratchy" and harsh. The molecules in it seemed to be made of sandpaper and offended my nose somehow. Because of its popularity I know it is my chemistry, not the fault of the perfume. I can't think of any social occasion to wear this - it really takes a big, strong woman to carry this one off. Pass.

logicmuppet
logicmuppet

This is not Katie Perry. This is not even Madonna.

This is Marlene Dietrich, wearing a leather bustier and a top hat with a trailing black veil, impatiently tapping her silk-wrapped riding crop against the top of her high leather boot. Her face is in profile, but you know she is appraising you from the corner of her eye. She will either pour you tea, or whip you to ribbons...she hasn't decided yet.

Just don't put too much on at once, unless you are willing to wait several hours before you leave the house. I put one good spray on my wrist right before I went out, and that was almost too much of a good thing.

irishagold
irishagold

I got the big one. Well, it is too strong, gives me a headache. At first I hated it. But! In several hours the scent changes and I start liking it. I try to spray my clothes in the evening and wear it the next day. Kind of strange way of using perfume.

cisco
cisco

Just received my big bottle and I am very unsure about this one. It almost has a "dirty" edge. I know I smell the leather and tobacco. This one is even more powerful and naughty than Habanita. In fact "naughty" is too cute a word. This fragrance is extremely aggressive.

I am going to do what birdofparadise reommended. I just layered it with Escada ML and so far it smells amazing. Cobachard has so much muscle I am afraid it will blot out the beautiful Escada ML. I will let you all know.

For now, I will experiment layering it with other sweet fragrances. Alone, it is just too savage for me.

Update: I swapped this to Nyoka because I think the Patchouli disagreed with my breathing. For some reason, Patchouli really amplifies on me.

birdofparadise
birdofparadise

This one is intimidating if you are not a strong personality. Uncompromisingly leather - I had to try it out in the absence of others in case they objected too strongly. Another power fragrance for me - one, which when I wear it, I don't feel I have to be "nice" to people. However, I layered it with Juicy Couture the other day and Oh My Goodness the blend of the two is out of this world. All I could do was just stay still and breathe it in - the moment was magic. Soft and Strong and Beautiful and Complex - I've found a perfume alter-ego.

Mimmi
Mimmi

The dark leather, smoothened by sandal and amber, is contradicted by fresh light fruits in the start and equally fresh and feminine jasmine in the floral heart. Herbs and greens that could be percived as sharp in the initially blast softens and are adding a fresh airiness.
This wide accord I percive as dark yet very light, truly complex.
The androgynous effect is like putting a suit on an curvy well-groomed female. I consider this a most sensual sophisticated classic, but Im disturbed by the flat recent version. The original is unforgettable.

PerfumeKeeper
PerfumeKeeper

I have a little bottle sitting for ages in a bathroom shelf, a handout from my mom. None of us can wear it. It is just too harsh. When I was younger I actually thought it was a men's cologne so I didn´t even bothered to try it after sniffing it. When I learned it was a women´s perfume I forced myself to try it but decided never to wear it because the first stage is just unbearable to me.

panthere
panthere

was very lucky to find this in a 50th anniversary ltd ed. just tried it out today. ive completly fallen for this. sassy and real "it girl". its a great composition of citrus,herbal with a very slight hint of leather. luckily it suits my chemistry really well. definatly a new love for me.

pavelc
pavelc

Cabochard was my first "grown up" perfume, still have a bottle and has luck has it found a local chemist who still sells it.

Thalia
Thalia

Cabochard EDP is such a contradiction in terms on me -- it's an aggressive, masculine, bitch-goddess perfume, loaded with leather and rich tobacco, dark and smoky and sharp. But on the other hand, tobacco is sweet, smoke is warm, and when you combine tobacco and leather it gives me fond memories of my father's leather tobacco pouch back when I was a little girl and he smoked a pipe. Add it all up, and that is a powerfully comforting scent -- warm, sweet, cozy, cuddly nostalgia. In stiletto heels.

So, is it sexy and kinky and domineering and a little mean? Or is it a comfy cocoon like a cashmere blanky? It's both, by turns, and it's lovely -- so far out of the current fashion that bypasses "dated" and simply smells beyond the cutting edge, a scent too chic and daring for the herd. No one will ever guess you're wearing something you can get for well under $20 in a tacky bottle with a frosted-glass bow.

Looking at the notes -- coconut???? Are they kidding?

moly
moly

The more I wear it, the more I love it. When I tried Cabochard for the first time, I felt it was too strong for me. And it had to wait for some time. Cabochard has the asafoetida note, which is a little bit unpleasant for first few minutes, but this fragrance quickly develops into something wonderful, cozy and warm. I'm enchanted and delighted by its beauty.

alexanna7
alexanna7

it is the first perfume i've smelled when i was younger...it's a leather...and i do get: leather and also on me i get the : rose,coconut,sage,lemon a little, spices,ylang ylang,and the smokey leather...with powder...nice one! I love it! Love leather...

blueberry
blueberry

Cabochard is my another blind buy based on the fact that it contains leather. And it's love at first sniff. Honestly I cannot single out the notes, all I know is that it is very leathery, sharp, brisk and sophisticated. There is something masculine about it, since each time I wear it my husband accuses me of stealing one of his scents :) It can easily function as unisex. I have an EDT and it lasts very long, and it is not necessary to refresh it, but still I like to reapply it at the end of the day, for the sheer pleasure of it. This is a treat!
I really hope it will not be discontinued, anyway I have stored a back up bottle just in case. Great stuff for fans of classic, sharp and a bit "masculine" notes. Perfect for elegant and casual outfit, but not for sport clothes, as this would be a desecration.

Marilia
Marilia

I like it. Warm en yet fresh.
I am not crazy about his head notes,
but the heart and specially the base
notes are beautiful, powerful, warm in a fresh way. Difficult to explain, may be is the vetiver (just a hint, otherways the fragrance should be too dry)that makes the fragrance fresh.
While the head notes are just heavy, not
pleasant to my nose.

MMC
MMC

Eu não gosto desse perfume, tem algo que me incomoda e me faz ter dor de cabeça.Comprei sem conhecer e dei para minha mãe, que gosta dele.Muito masculino,melhor esperimentar antes de comprar.

Annica
Annica

I feel admiration for this perfume. Bought it without having tested it and have only used it once. It is as if I suddenly would put on leather clothes, driving away on a motorcycle. It's just not me, but I can stand from a distance and admire all these cool people on their bikes. Another world. Oh if only I had fitted in there. In my opiníon this is a perfume with strong attitude, suitable for both men and women.

elusivek
elusivek

Based on reviews, I think I will have to try this a couple more times before forming a final impression.

My first impression. It opens with the base notes! It begins with leather, musk, sandalwood and patchouli and that is where it stays. It's odd because I didn't get any aldehydes, fruit or floral. It just went straight to the base.

So as it stands, it is dirty leather by way of patchouli. I am not a patch lover to begin with and the patch in this is very strong.

Overall the perfume is quite strong so use caution when applying, a little goes a long way.

milena

Hi it is exactly a year since I've written a review on this perfume. Well I bought one today. Yes it has been reformulated and it is not what it used to be. But I like the smell of leather and the drydown is masculine with a little subtle sweetnes to it.As I've written before it was one of my favourite scents years ago.It's very original and sexy.There is still that cabochard uniqueness about it.Dark sharp even strange in a chic kind of way.All in all skin chemistry has to be right.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This review is for the EDP
This fragrance starts with a blast so dreadful I thought - Oh god, why did I order this without sniffing it! I think it's maybe the asfoetida and the cheapening of the formula. HOWEVER the middle notes and drydown really do soften into a very comfortable ambery leather. I detect more sweetness than smokiness in this concentration. It's initially a bit similar to Azuree without the citrus and I feel it's not as good in the beginning. The drydown lacks Azuree's patchouli note, which I personally love and ends instead on a definate jasmine which makes it less 'difficult'. I think it's really feminine in the mid to late stages and not a bit masculine - johnny Depp might suit this but not many others! I'm comparing it to Azuree as it's Bernard Chants other and most similar, leather fragrance.
Ive had to edit this bit as I'm finding this stuff quite addictive. I have to pour it on and it stays fairly close to the skin, but it's a lovely thoughtful, quiet 'Autumn' fragrance which suits the leaves drifting from the trees. It's more melancholy than Azuree without the citrus but that's good - the serious sister, perhaps!

guest_Miss Delicious
guest_Miss Delicious

I feel always so smart while wearing Cabochard. It's for the clever lady.
The masculine "Aramis" is similar but sweeter. So it's a "smoky" borderline fragrance.Not for everyone.

gabri
gabri

Very french...very warm with so many nuances.....I love it :o)

applemint
applemint

Like Castor and Sissi put it....to me also it's a young man in crisp white shirt smoking a cigarette after a shower.....or a girl in black shiny strappy leather...for me the most easily acceptable unisex...(I dislike masculine lady's frags) I like that it's non-peppery, non-citrus, non-synthetic....sultry and smokey with a veil of rose-petals

guest_debob

Catbiscuit I loved your review! It was awesome. But I would definitely wear this out. Live a little, and step outside your comfort zone.

Sheva
Sheva

I just bought this blind and I have to say that it's almost identical with Miss Balmain. I don't know if it is my limited perception of notes but everytime I put this on, I feel like I'm wearing Miss Balmain which I love but would have preferred something a little different.

Edit: I've come to think that its opening strongly resembles Cristalle also...

Yamba1
Yamba1

I blind bought a bottle of cabochard based on the intriguiging reviews. At AUS$12 it wouldn't be the end of the world if it was a disaster. Luckily, I was very pleasantly surprised. Not the bold, headstrong fragrance I was expecting. I'm a huge fan of Bandit, but I believe Cabochard is a different beast. This is a gentle, alluring dry chypre with a hint of leather. Drydown gives me a strange sense of calm and wellbeing. Perhaps it is the lack of sweetness, but this has got me hooked.
Anyone looking for a signature scent that is totally different from the modern florals, please do yourself a favour and give this classic a try.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

When I was a wee young'un, my Dad used to make wallets and belts and handbags from hard, pale leather pieces & leather thread. He would stamp the skins, carve out patterns & paint them. I was allowed to play with the scraps in his dark, dusty, cold, greasy, spicy smelling garage. My mother rarely went in there which added to the appeal. It was such a peaceful place.

My recent leather quest was in search of this olfactory memory. And the current release EDT has captured this magnificantly, right down the acrid chemical fumes of leather staining.

This is a cool, dark, hidden kind of perfume. Musty spices, raw leather, car tyres, a certain unidentifiable oily sweetness. The scent of concealed hideous shoes I vowed never to be forced to wear again. Booby magazines unsuccessfully hidden on the highest shelves. The youthful problem solving involved in reaching those highest shelves without getting caught. The mysteries of my father's hobbies and masculinity itself. I find it extremely soothing and cathartic.

I cannot imagine wearing this out anywhere. It is more of an indulgence for me, when I want to hide in the dark, filled with secrets.

guest_debob

Wow, Cabochard reminds me of a foreign palace somewhere in the middle east or India. Full of incense, smoke and veiled dancing girls. Opium pipes and black leather whips in the harem room causes one to wonder what kind of activities are taking place here.
If chocolate is the queen of gourmand perfumes, then smoke and leather are the kings of dry florals.
It is to die for.

Who knows which reformulation I own, but whatever it may be, Gres CABOCHARD edt is to me a likeable and even endearing fragrance.

My first leather experience, CABOCHARD seemed at the time when I acquired it daring and androgynous. Now, after having reviewed hundreds of perfumes, I still believe that this composition holds its own. CABOCHARD has carved out a niche in the vast, ever-expanding olfactory sphere, and is rightfully a reference for other leather perfumes.

CABOCHARD edt is a lightly floralized, slightly chypre-y, entirely wearable leather fragrance which every perfumista can afford. Despite its bargain-basement price, this composition is still better than many niche leather creations, IMNSHO. Give it a try--you have nearly nothing to lose!

And now for a mini-rant:

It may well be that this reformulation pales in comparison to the original perfume, but I cannot really trouble myself with lamenting "the good old days" back when I wasn't even alive. Yes, I am aware that hamburgers used to cost a nickel and a gallon of gas a quarter. (Et alors?) This is the twenty-first century, and this is the CABOCHARD which today you can easily buy. Could it better? What really could not? It is what is, and it's not what it's not.

miss_piggy

LOL @River... I looked it up immediately upon waking and found that meaning :) On the first whiff, I did feel a certain connection to it. I must admit that I'd be a less complete person if I lived without ever smelling Cabochard. It has an unnerving aspect to it, which works in favor of the one wearing it... and a smouldering undeniable sexiness. I highly doubt that this scent could be ignored. I find it much nicer mixed with a plain Gardenia scent. Having recently become a non-smoker, I'm turned off by too much tobacco and leather.

I would never have imagined in a hundred years that I would enjoy leather-based scents. The thought of leather makes me cringe, however when I come to smelling leather scents, I am suitably impressed.

Cabochard, along with Bandit by Robert Piguet, are the essential, classic leather fragrances. From this fragrance I get a lot of dry, smokey and powdery leather and woods.

There are many floral notes in this composition that keeps Cabochard from becoming too masculine. The way that this fragrance has been presented, makes me think of a strong, independant woman that appears tough on the outside but is loving and feminine on the inside.

Cabochard summed up in my own words is a sexy scent with attitude. Interestingly I was nearly going to say that Cabochard smelt like an elegant, black leather handbag. It just so happens that after leaving the perfume store, a few doors down I walked past a store that sold handbags and as I walked past I inhaled the aroma of leather. In no way does Cabochard prove similar to that shiny, brand new, leathery smell we all know and love.

I'm not sure as to how much this fragrance differs from its pre-formulated, vintage self, however the Cabochard as it is now is very wearable and certainly unique.

River
River

Dear Miss Piggy, maybe your subconsciousness is trying to tell you something considering that cabochard is a french word for headstrong,lol. The name definetely suits me as much as perfume itself. And I adore Cabochard.

It's pure avant-garde in a bottle. Even fifty years later it's still ahead of time. Bitter herbs, delicate flowers and rough leather are blended together in perfect harmony. It's strong,fullblooded and with an attitude but it's never "in your face".

Of course, you need to love leather to love this beauty. I know I do.

miss_piggy

Funny thing... I had never heard of this consciously, but dreamed about it. More specifically, in my dream there was some mention of "Cabochard" and "Fragonard". I knew it had to do with perfume. I bought a bottle of this unsniffed later that day. IDK what I can say about it that hasn't been said in the other reviews, so I'll just say that I neither like nor dislike it. What I find most interesting is how I came to buy it, since it's been said that dreams mean things...

Beautiful_Scent
Beautiful_Scent

Eternal classic, absolutely gorgeous and elegant. French style for independent, intelligent and stubborn women.

I love it and it makes me so confident and happy and pampered whenever I wear it. I don't think it is heavy for day time wear, it is quite close to Chanel No 19 (they have the leather in common)

Leather, tobacco, and a drink in front of a real fireplace, somewhere north west of Scotland! This is where Cabochard will take you :-) You will feel and smell unique, not another clone from the street's scents.

Thank you Madame Gres for giving us the Cabochard! A true masterpiece!

BIG
BIG

A guy could easily wear this fragrance, not to mention that it's on par or even stronger than some other men leather scents out there. This should be marketed as Unisex

Amethyststar
Amethyststar

I hate this! Too much leather, it's gaggy and strong and smoky. At least I know now never to buy a scent with leather--
my daugher, who is 35, also tried this--same reaction, she ran to wash it off but couldn't get rid of all of it.

I'm not altogether sure about this so far...

I bought it because I wanted a new perfume that I'd never tried before, because I always had floral fragrances...

I've had it on for about 30 mins... It's very strong...

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

i get straight smooth syrupy leather. i like it a lot more than Bandit which feels too dry, but still feel a little out of place wearing it. trying layering.

Annah7
Annah7

First I thought it was too masculine and had plenty of patchouli.. I couldn't find in it the sexiness and seduction that Sisi was talking about. I found it to be a heavy and tiring fragrance. After a few days I sprayed some on my wrist and forearm and I think that actually might like it.
Quite pretty and smoky. Rather heavy, but nice!
It isn't suitable for everyday use and not for everyone.
Latest update: I think I will give it away. It has become too masculine...

Wendy Darling
Wendy Darling

Wish I could find the EDP. Been searching for it for years in the USA; not available. Just caved in and bought a bottle of EDT online. There is still the (desirable) smell of leather and tobacco, but it is much harsher than the Eau de Parfum I was accustomed to using. Perhaps I should spray a little sparingly!
Has always been my favourite fragrance. But I don't think my dog likes this (for him) new perfume on me! (He will have to get used to it, poor boy).

Sissi
Sissi

Sex in Leather i whoud put it
a suduction in bed a Black Leather
Lingerie and her long black leather gloves caresses his hairy chest.
and the bed is pure white with black
satin bows besides the ben and her
long black hair and black penetrated eyes this perfume gives me that image

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

I CANNOT STAND THIS PERFUME! It smells so much like Aramis for men that I can't tell the difference actually.

angel73
angel73

the new formula is a shame...now, it smells like a coloured water ...it completely loosed its soul...as so many old fragrances.

vioversilver
vioversilver

This is very different , and I'm loving it! Cabochard has an edge to it, kind of a tough cookie type of gal but at the same time very earthy, and warm with just the right kind of femininity .

Leather, flowers, smokey, moss on the forest ground - yes, very earthy! This has just enough of a fresh,natural sweetness to it also.

Applying a non scented lotion before putting on this EDT made it last for a surprisingly long time throughout the day. I'm really loving this scent.

guest_ewe
guest_ewe

what is difference between Cabochard Eau de Toilette and Ambre de Cabochard? My 85 yr old mother wants some for Christmas and I don't know the difference. She wore it for many years and thinks it is unavailable so I'd love to surprise her with some but want to get what she used to wear. The Ambre is more expensive!

guest_Majdalena
guest_Majdalena

This unique fragrance - it's my favorite perfume. It is not like any other, not with any other fragrance obfuscate. But I think that the "properly" already mature woman. Do not use it only on hot summer days.

When I opened my husbands briefcase after he died I found it full of this wonerdful scent that he was keeping in a secret place to surprise me now and again!! What a story -hey what?

milena

Was a favourite of mine couple of years ago. I recently decided to buy a new bottle of this grand perfume and was very shocked at how different it smells when I tested it.It does not smell the same like it used to.Or maybe I;m getting older and my skin chemistry has changed.smells like petrol on my skin.Used to smell leathery and powdery , dry and a little floral.A very sexy fragrant.

gothic artist
gothic artist

Love it. Love it. I wear this fragrance for the leather and tobacco in it. Also; I love this scent because it is not a floral and it is not sweet.

emotion
emotion

I love this scent. So many of the new and more commercial scents are overwhelmingly flowery, citrusy and with too much vanilla. I find these scents distracting and not compatible with the natural musk of a person's skin. Cabochard is more naturally a scent which would blend with a human's oils and not cover up with flowers. I like it and will always find a scent like this more to my liking. Interestingly, the dry down has a scent of roses. When I emerge from bath, I put on it and then my robe. When I come home at night my robe smells like roses and not at all like the original scent left on my skin.

guest_hagertygal
guest_hagertygal

I absolutely love this scent. My only complaint, is that it packs a whollop for the first ten minutes, then all of a sudden, it seems to disappear! Does anyone else have this problem? I seem to be spraying it on myself evey half hour. I even drenched my pillow in it with five sprays an hour before I went to bed. I left the room, and came back an hour later, and when I smelled the pillow, it smelled soooo faint. Am I nuts? Or does this stuff not last?

rockrose
rockrose

Cabochard is an old gem. I read the reviews, and many seem to see this one as a femme fatale type of fragrance, but strangely enough, I like to wear mood scents such as this while I am hiking or working outside. No stilettos there! But you definitely could wear Cabochard with chic outfits. If you own enough bottles of perfume, which I think most of us do on this site, then my feeling is to wear them where you feel like wearing them to enhance whatever you are doing at the time, and don't feel like you can only wear them in certain situations.

Castor
Castor

Girlfriend (GF): "Nice, is it Aramis?"

Me (M): "No, it is Cabochard, by Grès".

GF: "Are you using a womens scent?"

M: "Yes, so what?"

GF: Sniffing again... "Oh! I can't hardly tell the difference. What's the deal?"

M: "Well, it has some flowers in it, but yes, they are very alike... Blame it on Bernard Chant."

BTW: Replace the top notes with lemon and keep Cabochard's basenotes and you've got Homme de Grès: a classy chypre launched in 1997 that seems it has been launched in the 1950's.

Unfortunately, it has been discontinued. If your are into classics or contemporary classic-like fragrances, get it while you can.

dancam86
dancam86

My mom has wore this one for ages, I remember she use to have the octagonal bottle that came with a glass bow engraved on it. Anyway, she bought a new bottle a couple of weeks ago and it came in a new presentation, a taller, rhomboidal-shaped bottle like the one of the first picture of this article, but without the glass bow on it, plus it smells a bit different. She paid full price in a perfume store for it, but I'm concerned that it might be a copy. Does anyone in this community know if Cabochard has been reformulated?

Femme1
Femme1

A strong, sensual, true leather chypre, Cabochard has been sadly neglected as super sweet florals have gained in popularity. For those of us who love the smell of leather---ah, that early morning aroma of the tack room at the stables or the smell of your vintage Chanel Grace Kelly purse---Chabochard captures that scent of masculinity that a truly feminine woman can wear successfully.

Spicey top notes give way to delicate middle floral notes that slightly subdue the leather notes, and on my skin, there lasts a lingering deep mixture that keeps me sniffing at my wrist all day long.

Once you see Madame Gres' gorgeous couturier designs, you'll understand more about her philosophy of clothing beautiful women; that is also the heart of Cabochard.

rosaria
rosaria

Cabochard is a timeless leather chypre. Beautiful and sophisticated, it suits elegant women in black dresses and high heel shoes.

Leather and tobacco dry notes leave a magical trail in the air. Some other strong chypres(like Bandit, for example) will let me suffering from migrane.

But instead, I feel sexy and beautiful whenever I wear my lovely Cabochard...

Petula30
Petula30

I bought it without testing, total bargain, about 6pounds. I was amazed, if you like leather and tabacco go for it. Warm and very sexy!

lavandana
lavandana

I am a chypre fan and this is among my favorites. I have been wearing this lovely fragrance for 30 years. As a teen, I was not cognizant of what it was that attracted me to this fragrance. Now I realize that my love for tobacco and leather along with the notes of a classic chypre are what has made me a devotee to this fragrance after all these years. It is quite lovely and quite different from what you will smell on the average man or woman.

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

Cabochard is not for the faint of heart. It is a tough, proud, strong scent that would be right at home on a self-made woman who rocked stilettos in a board meeting. It smells old-fashioned and uncompromising, which it is. The leather and citrus dance around each other, with a hint of musky, wilted floral and the scent of dry earth rounding out the composition. I wear this one when I want to be taken completely seriously, but still want to feel a little sexy.

fiesta
fiesta

I wear Cabochard every day,but I didn't guess it's secret till now.I've got it and sniffed only at home.Lovely,original bottle with ribbon was intriguing.And the first impression was-"nonsense".About two hours I felt dense,a little bit heavy fog of citrus.Suddenly delicate,subtle floral scent appeared-maybe iris?And soon leather and tobacco joined.Yes,of course,it reminds "Bandit",but "Bandit"is more leathery,sharp.Cabochard is my second skin now.I use edp.Subtle,unique scent.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Cabochard is such a warm, cozy, sexy scent. It practically screams, "Cuddle me!" It has a pronounced leather scent on my skin, and gradually dries down to a salty patchouli musk. I can detect just a whisper of fruits for the first few seconds after application, and none of the florals bloom for me, but that's just fine.

This is a beautiful classic chypre, more wearable than "Bandit" but in a similar vein. If "Bandit" is your nighttime scent, this sister scent would be a perfect daytime alternative. If you're a fruity floral lover, try Cabochard for your evenings and cooler weather. The EDT is an affordable classic that is worth a try for every woman.

I wish the EDT lasted longer--I got about 4 hours out of it--but I like the scent well enough that I'll seek out an EDP or Parfum next time.

aspida
aspida

Lovely!This type of scent is one of my favorite scents...not floral, not oriental, not sweet, not sharp, not really anything in particular...it just smells so unique. I Love it! And I also agree that fragrance is not really a masculine/feminine thing, I wear whatever I like, regardless of what someone else thinks it smells like. Perfume should be for you, not for someone else. Plus, to me the right way to use perfume is very lightly so that only you can really smell it...well, and anyone that you let get close enough!

newgabe
newgabe

Cabochard opens with a strong blast of a juicy notes that does not indicate the deep powdery comfort to come. Almost immediately the real Cabochard emerges; dry- dusty almost- musty, delicious. Not at all sweet but not overpoweringly leathery. (I also wear Bandit, so Cabochard seems very mild after that pungent funk!) I keep sneaking sniffs of it all day; it must look very suspect to onlookers, me suddenly sticking my nose down my blouse!
This is my current favorite perfume, along with Chanel Sycomore. In fact the two of them layered is stunning! I am thinking of trying the same add-some-vetiver-for-kicks trick with Geurlain Vetiver/Cabochard if I can't pick up more Sycomore soon.

I wore this chopping wood yesterday and it kept me calm and feeling like a goddess wielding my axe among scented clouds!

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

Beautiful, original, warm chypre. It is very natural, beacause in it nothing sintetic scent. When I have Cabochard on my skin, it is part of me as in jazzstandard: "I've got you under my skin"...Legendary, magnificiently smell.

Aiona
Aiona

I find it hard to name the notes in this one (not peeking at the list). In fact, I have trouble listing what Cabochard is. I can more easily say what it is not. It is definitely NOT A COOL AQUATIC, nor is it a typical FRUITY FLORAL. It's definitely not something that's currently being worn by a lot of people. It's not something that everyone will like, as not everyone likes darkness, muskiness, and water hyacinth-tuberose-y smells.

caribou55313
caribou55313

This is super leathery, dry and masculine on my skin ... but all I've tried is the EDT, need to try the parfum which I hear is very chic.

2007

Cabochard by Gres 3.81 out of 5 based on 808 ratings and 200 user reviews

CABOCHARD for WOMEN by Parfums Gres EDT SPRAY 3.3 OZ TESTER
CABOCHARD for WOMEN by Parfums Gres EDT SPRAY 3.3 OZ TESTER
Perfume WorldWide
Cabochard
Cabochard Perfume by Parfums Gres, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester for Women
Cabochard Perfume by Parfums Gres, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Women
Parfums Gres Cabochard Eau de Parfum Spray, 3.3 fl oz
Parfums Gres Cabochard Eau de Parfum Spray, 3.3 fl oz
Gres Cabochard Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Gres Cabochard Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Gres Cabochard fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Gres Cabochard, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Cabochard by Gres. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Cabochard by Gres represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.