Designers » F-H » Chypre Floral « Groups

Cabotine Gres for women
dislike

I have it: 1013 I had it: 611 I want it: 219 My signature: 16

Cabotine Gres for women Pictures Cabotine Gres for women Pictures

In the creator's imagination, Cabotine is a daughter of Cabochard, a younger generation perfume, which has preserved the elegance and distinction of Cabochard. It was created with love and enthusiasm, with a very limited budget, and it became a classic of the 1990-ties.

It was created by Jean-Claude Delville from IFF, and he was expected to make a light but lasting perfume, what was a hard task to do. The perfumer found its formula in floral-aldehyde accord and presented a transparent fragrance with green floral and sharp aldehyde notes. The perfume is very light, easy to wear and at the same time tenacious. It achieved success regardless of very limited advertising and promotional support.

The composition is created around the ginger lily, also known as a butterfly lily, a Himalayan large-petalled white flower. Growing in harsh high mountains climate, this plant blooms for only a few weeks in the spring time, and each flower lives only for a few hours, what makes it difficult, almost impossible, to extract the oil. An IFF pioneering researcher, Dr. Braja Mookherjee, found a way to analyse the oil structure using the 'living-flower' technique, and to copy the fragrance of the ginger lily, what enabled the industrial production. Cabotine is the first perfume which contains ginger lily in its composition.

The top notes contain blackcurrant buds, pear, plum and corriander. The heart is composed of rose, tuberose, ylang-ylang, ginger lily, hyacinth, heliotrop, fresia, violet and iris. The base notes are cedarwood, vanilla, tonka bean, cybet, musk and amber. The perfume was created in 1990. The bottle, whose stopper was turned into a shape of flower, was created by Thierry Lecoule.

Coriander Black Currant Plum Cassia Peach Tangerine Orange Blossom

Carnation Tuberose iris Violet Freesia Ginger Jasmine Hiacynth Heliotrope Ylang-Ylang Rose

Sandalwood Tonka Bean Amber Musk Civet Vanilla Vetiver Cedar Black Currant

Oudh Al Raghda

Cabotine Fragrance Reviews

smalltownbeatnik
smalltownbeatnik

I'd be interested to smell this perfume with the civet and tuberose removed. I feel like there's a beautiful perfume (for me, personally) being buried under those two distinctive notes. I do think it's a great, well-blended perfume that smells much more expensive than it is.

FoxConfessor
FoxConfessor

If fragrances were music, Cabotine would be noise rock - discordant and unpleasant.

I tend to blind buy - I know that I don't usually know what exactly I'm getting, and I've never really been unhappy. Maybe disappointed or underwhelmed, but not unhappy.

That was before I met Cabotine.

The notes looked good. Florals, musk, a little fruit - should be fine, I thought, I'll give it a try. So many notes, too - I expected an interesting, complex composition. Instead I got a muddled scent that doesn't know what it wants to be, with notes that are at war with each other. In the end, the haze of the scented battle field smells like... pickle juice.

This EDT smells like pickle juice, just like the brine left in the jar after the pickles are taken out. At least it does on me. I can't even pick out anything specific except the aldehydes and some generic florals.

Maybe this works for some people. It does not work for me. And on top of it all, it's clingy, refusing to leave my skin without some serious work. My first scrubber, and a heck of a one at that.

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

I have a very soft spot for this fragrance even though I don't like it very much. It was the first perfume bought for me by a boyfriend-I was early 20s and still wearing Coty Exclamation, a sweet, vanilla girly sort of scent, and he bought me Cabotine as a birthday gift. I wore it because he gave it to me, but it was never really me-it was quite sharp, very dense, overpowering almost, and it was the start of my jasmine and tuberose dislike. Jasmine and tuberose still give me a headache today. I recently bought a miniature collection and this was one of them-it took me straight back 25 years, the time of big perfumes, massive sillage, and my first true love. Its still a sharp fresh green, and now I can pick up the spice that I couldn't before. It still gives me a headache though, and I'm only going to be trying it out again once for the memories.

SuzanneRonelle
SuzanneRonelle

I can understand why people are either crazy about cabotine or can't stand it - it is strong and unapologetic. My mother had a mini edp when I was a little girl and by accident it broke in a make-up bag in her handbag - for months afterwards, smelling that handbag was heavenly. One often outgrows certain perfumes but last year I came across the name of that long-ago spilt perfume(it was the stopper that gave it away;-) I immediately blind bought the edt version. I absolutely adore it, although I usually don't favour strong perfumes as I'm prone to headaches. Although it is strong and sweet it is balanced by a freshness that makes it so wearable AND non-headache inducing. Unfortunately it doesn't last very long (although it has a strong sillage to start out with) but one can keep reapplying it because it is so affordable. I'm 31 years old and I think that this is the type of fragrance that could be my signature scent. Rich and fun and French!

pretty mini collector
pretty mini collector

I need to stop going to TJ Maxx. That place is very bad for a perfume addict like myself. Anyway...

I picked this one up after reading the reviews on here. I missed this one in its heyday, but I don't think I would've appreciated it then (I was more into aquatic florals then). I can appreciate it now.

Tuberose and jasmine are the main notes in this perfume. Rose comes in and gives it more of a backbone. There are green notes in the mix, like wet leaves or unripened fruit, but it always comes back to tuberose. I love that it has green and woody notes without using a drop of patchouli. Finally musk shows up and grounds the scent, bringing that airy jasmine down a few notches.

The lasting power on this is kind of amazing. I wore it last night, sprayed on a different perfume before going to bed, and when I woke up, the other perfume was completely gone... Cabotine de Gres was still there.

nitschevo

So, I tried very hard but in the end I just don't reach for it often enough to keep it. I'm currently cleaning out my perfume cabinet and this one is up for swap/give-away! PM me if you're interested :)

llburris
llburris

Oh my. I sprayed this in the air to get a quick whiff before testing it on my arm. It smelled AWESOME! I couldn't wait to check out its longevity and sillage. Within 2 minutes something had turned to ROTTEN. As it warmed up to my body, the rotten stench grew and grew. I was so sad...........scrubber for me.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

C'est ma collègue marseillaise Cécile en 1991 qui m'a fait découvrir ce délicieux parfum.
J'étais stagiaire dans un hôtel d'Antibes et au grès (jeu de mot involontaire) de nos déambulations dans le centre commercial Nice-Etoile nous sommes rentrées dans une parfumerie.
Frais, fleuri, légèrement fruité (tant mieux). J'ai bientôt 50 ans et il me va toujours hahahahaha....
Depuis Cécile s'en est allée aux Amériques et moi je suis toujours fidèle à Cabotine... et ma Morgane du haut de ses 17 ans aussi... Coquine !

boheme_maras
boheme_maras

Nice floral green retro scent... EDT doesnt lasts very much. To me smells more like Paris by YSL than Dior's Tendre Poison...

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

EDT review:
If your anything like me and blind purchased this at first spray you ask yourself what the hell did I just do. Very potent. But wait don't throw it out just yet. I went outside after a gentle spritz on my arm. What happened after that was beautiful. Cabotine gives off the most gorgeous aroma in the hot humidity. It almost in a way has a summery tan lotion vibe going. You do not need much just one spray trust me will do you! I have not smelled Poison Tendre in years so I have nothing to compare to but for the price this is really a must have addition to your collection. If you do not like heavy hitters or are searching for a fruity gourmand avoid at all costs. I can see where perhaps this might have a vintage vibe going but it is in no way on me, a heavy vintage scent. So glad I added this and gave it a few minutes to form.

Just a quick update after a few hours on the skin the EDT does not seem to last long. I might look for the EDP as well.

Lumiere

This vivacious green floral is both tender and strong. Narcissus and spring flowers, as well as this tiger lily essence, come forward with the orchestra of, seemingly, ginger, coriander, supported by the base notes later on. Cabotine is optimistic, outspoken, sharp and tender at the same time, and settles on the skin with this soapy what I would call "classic french" base. If you are adventurous and love the above notes, go ahead and try as it can be found cheap (but it does not smell cheap).However, if you are a fan of fresh ozonic, or sweet gourmands, this may be not for you.

Be careful not to overapply in the hot weather, especially when going out for dinner where they serve fish or seafood. I have once sat a table away from the lady in a seafood take-away place, not a very good combination, I tell you.

Tiger84
Tiger84

Such a beautiful dry floral but it hardly lasts on me. Maybe it mixes with my skin in a way that it's hardly noticeable but this is very frustrating, especially knowing that it is considered a long lasting one, I don't know what's wrong with mine, hope it will get stronger with time. The Eau Vivide citrus-marine flanker lasts longer on me than this! Wish it was stronger, it's just a whisper on me. Hard to believe this is the same scent people here describe as "in your face strong".

I definitely get the resemblance to the Poison family. I haven't had the pleasure to meet Tendre Poison, but this reminds me to the original, like if they are cousins. Well worth the price, classy and refined.

I have a cheap tester bottle, without the fancy cap. I would have loved to own it with the awesome floral cap, but the juice is worth it.

alchimia72

I wrote already a review about this beauty, but I described the edt version. I ordered the edp version online, because in general I prefer always the edp versions of the fragrances. If I like the edt, the edp is absolutely LOVE. It lacks completely the sharp note and it's less green. It's warmer, deeper, fruitier with a strong note of plum, and spicier. It's so unique and delicious, wearable in every season and with every temperature. I hope it will be never discontinued. And in conclusion the price is so amazing! The perfect combo. I am so glad to have it in my collection!

yvankraft
yvankraft

This fragrance is really beautiful and a good substitute for Tendre Poison, although less balanced and misterious. Maybe mixed with a minimal spray of Poison we could get the Tendre effect. I will try...

lirael00
lirael00

Should I or should I not buy it? Oh, well click click and now I have one. Do I regret it? Definitely not. Gres Cabotine is one of the most interestinsg scents I'v tried lately. It's hard to decsribe this frag just in one word. You get white florals, spicy ginger and greenish smell out of it. It's a very interesting combination of how it opens up as a green scent and then settles into musky cedar. Perfect for spring and summer. Longevity is awesome and sillage is huge (that's a plus for me, as I like to be noticed). Wouldn't wear it in the winter though. It's energetic and it makes me happy. If a fragrance can put a smile ony my face like Gres does, then it's definitely a keeper.

CitrusHead
CitrusHead

I keep trying to like you more, "Cabotine". But you are so powerfully in-my-face strong that it's hard to have anything more than a fair-weather friendship. I like you some days and others, I can't be in the same room with you.

There is so much going on in this fragrance it’s like cats fighting in a barrel. And the civet comes out too strong most of the time for me. The flowers are very pretty with lots of hyacinth, tuberose, jasmine & ylang-ylang. But then there is the screechy civet coming on strong with the coriander which kind of ruins the mood. The amber, sandalwood & hint of Tonka bean bring it back to sanity but it's still LOUD.

This lasts 24 hours+ on me so I can only wear it if I spray it on my underwear - HA! That also helps keep the immense sillage in check.

EliaTatuirovka
EliaTatuirovka

I love this Perfume. I know many people don't like it. If I mention this Perfume to some of my friends they look at me with a WTF look on their faces or just say something like: 'Uggghh, No!'..

Honestly, I don't understand why. I think this scent is very fresh and clean. It's like getting out of shower on a hot summer day. I love this scent. It's green in a way but you feel the white flowers plus a little bit rose in it. Just a Perfect scent for summer. for every day. day time. I feel very happy when I use this perfume. -Lo0o0o0ove it!!! <3

bonnie52

Don't know quite how to describe this because to me it is just awful. Sharp, pungent and overpowering.

Erika Molnar
Erika Molnar

Cabotine is one of my favourite fragrances. I'm using it since I was 24, it's 16 years now. One of my friends used to have it and I borrowed her Cabotine a couple of times when we went out. I'm in love with it ever since and I can tell you, men love this scent too. They keep asking me what parfume I'm wearing because it's such a wonderful, lovely scent. :)
It's a beautiful, unique, not the usual sweet, floral scent with some honey touch.

River
River

Gres makes bold, interesting, unique scents. Cabochard was my signature for years and I also love Cabaret, especially in the summer. That's why I did something I rarely do - I blind bought Cabotine. It turned out to be a big mistake. It is bold and unique but, as usually goes hand in hand with those characteristics, it is also a love it or hate it scent. For me it was way too much. Too sour, too sharp, too loud, too complicated, too perfumey with 1980s vibe.
Ginger and tuberose are the most prominent on my skin but there is much more going on here. Not only that I can smell every single note from that long list but there are also a few unlisted that take a great part in this composition like aldehydes for example.
Sillage is enormous, lasting power great. It unravels very slowly going towards woody drydown. At that point Cabotine is quite beautiful but I can't go through hours of feeling like there is a whole florist shop on my shoulders just to get there.

Arina.K
Arina.K

Cabotine is a modern classic. Green, airy and fresh but also exotic and warm. Just wonderful!

persefoni
persefoni

I'm sure i had smelled it hundreds of times around me before i tested it, which proves that it is adored by many women, but i cannot begin to describe how much i dislike it.... Dear Lord, what an annoying odour!!!

bonnie52

I bought this blindly once from reading reviews on another site. The reviews were all so favorable but I did NOT like it. I don't know if my chemistry doesn't jive with it or if it was an old bottle or what but it just stunk. Big disappointment.

ask247
ask247

I am so glad I can find this fragrance at several stores at an extremely inexpensive price, I think I paid $14 for a 3.4 oz. size on sale . I initially wanted to try it because everyone said it was a clone to Tendre Poison (which is discontinued) and that intrigued me from the get go.
I was ecstatic to find it and give it a try. At first I was hesitant and not sure but the smell kept me captivated and melds in to a wonderful, fresh green floral. I definitely got the green smell right off the bat. I describe it to others as fresh cut grass in the rain (a smell I love) with a spritz of tangy floral added in, kind of like when flowers first begin to bloom in the spring.
I remember walking in to the bathroom the morning after I sprayed it and thinking, yum what's that nice smell, then I realized, oh yea that's the Cabotine I sprayed. Ever since I've been hooked.
I sprayed it a little bit ago to remind me for this review then went down the hallway a little later and got a whiff again, oh I forget how much I like this scent having not used it in a while. Since it is now spring I'm going to start using it a lot more.
On first spray it comes off quite potent, so let it die down a little then smell it again. On my dry skin it's one of the few perfumes that stays a while and I'm so thankful for that because I don't want to have to re-apply all day long. To me it radiates a scent like real perfumes should, that have staying power and you feel like you get what you paid for, unlike most "watered down" perfumes of today. On me the silage is outstanding.
Come to think of it, I used to work in a greenhouse and this is similar to the smell that would greet me at the door each morning, ahhh, oh happy days. :)
This scent may not be for everybody but it's definitely worth a try.

verdigris
verdigris

This scent projects to the next planet or two but if used correctly (VERY SPARINGLY) it is actually quite pretty and will bring compliments. LESS is so much MORE! Here is the trick: spray a cotton swab until it is saturated-over the sink so you can wash the overspray away- and apply it behind your knees, inner arms, nape of the neck, wrists, etc. One saturated swab will amply annoint all of these areas. This may seem extremely stingy -trust me, it is not- but honestly it takes SO LITTLE of this fragrance to make an impression that the smallest bottle obtainable is a lifetime supply. Those of you who need more than this should be begged to avoid elevators, public transport and cramped quarters of any sort. I hope this helps to create more of an audience for a mighty -no, massively powerful- fragrance that has been abused and misunderstood.

jana.hullinghorst

Negative reviews should try the EDP, I can't stress this enough.

VanillaTabbyCat1963

Cabotine season is returning!!

This fragrance has the spicy kick mixed with sweet honey that I love so much about
Hawaiian Ginger oil, but mixed with the summer scent of a freshly cut lawn.

Although I discovered Cabotine on a warm Southern California summer day, this beauty hearkens back to the humid, fragrant summers of Massachusetts where I lived for a great deal of my life. The fragrant black locust blooms early in the season, and the maples, both littering driveways and sidewalks with their delicate tiny blossoms. I loved walking after a spring rain when the air smelled it's best. The air, heavy with heavy sweetness would remind just why we loved the Northeast so.The long, frigid winters suddenly didn't seem so bad!!

As long as I have romance in my soul, I will never forget the scents that bring back poignant memories of perpetual beauty and beginnings.

stacia79
stacia79

I can see the similarities to Tendre Poison but I've got a side by side comparison going on right now and Tendre Poison seems sweeter and fancier while Cabotine is a fresh floral daytime type scent.

I like Cabaret a lot so it's one of the reasons I decided to try Cabotine. It has a similar drydown, a kind of powdery incense that I like.

Cabotine is VERY green. Fresh, like clean hair. A very leafy green hyacinth and carnation blend with a crisp ginger weaving through it. Amazing sillage for a spring floral, which usually disappear on my skin in an hour. I will keep my eyes open for more scents from Gres to try.

angelair
angelair

Wow! What a lot of reviews. I have to say I LOVE this one. The scent is flowery, mystical and wispy on me. It lingers on my skin like it is being fanned by angels wings. I need a strong scent with my body chemistry or it just goes to nothing on my skin and this one seems perfect. It's my new favorite and I can't wait to try the other Cabotine scents.

Gingercat77
Gingercat77

So far this is the only blind budget buy that I have ripped open, sprayed and thought "ahhhh lovely!".

It's bright, clean and unpretentious. And I do believe it smells a lot like Tendre Poison.

If you dont like strong perfumes then give this one a miss, but I LOVE strong fragrances, the stronger the better in my book, so this is excellent value for the modest price tag.

A winner in my book!

LuLuGoes
LuLuGoes

I have to agree with Piggyluv regarding Gres Cabotine. The story of the fragrance's creation is interesting. The idea of it being the first to contain ginger lily is charming and magical.

The bottle design is unique.

But the fragrance inside that bottle is a very strong, strange, confusing floral. I can't detect the black currant bud or fruits. I only smell a strong grassy mass of tangled notes that don't develop.

For me, like others, it is an instant headache.

Definitely not for me.

piggyluv
piggyluv

There are few perfumes I don't like-normally I can appreciate a fragrance on someone else, even if it wont work on me. Cabotine is the exception.I am unable to detect a single clear note in this perfume, it is all accord and the smell evokes no recognition of anything in nature or life- I associate the smell of Cabotine only to Cabotine itself. Syrupy and cloying with a sharp (not round)funk underlay. Obviously this is JUST my opinion, no insult to those who love this fume-it's been around a while now, so it must have it's charms. I unfortunately can't detect them. On a positive note, the EDT has power, they must be generous with the concentration, compared to other houses. On a negative note, for many this is headache in a bottle.

Scarbie
Scarbie

This perfume is something else. I go back and forth on whether I like it or not. At first spray it can be very loud so it works out best if I put it on 30 min to an hour before I have to leave the house. Definitely not an everyday scent for me but I think it is worth keeping the bottle especially since you can get it so cheaply.

eclecticgal1
eclecticgal1

I will make this short and not so very sweet. I do like ginger which is the prevalent fragrance for me but the tuberose is close behind and ruins it for me.

I usually love Chypre whether fruity or floral but this is the one I like least and I wore it today to see if my opinion had changed about it. It hasn't.

The strong tuberone just ruins it for me. I have very dry skin and it takes a good and lasting fragrance for any perfume to have sillage on me.

I don't like heavy perfumes but I do like some mild fragrance that even I can smell.

Lilah Veil
Lilah Veil

Just got. Pure civet on first spray. I own a bottle of civet fragrance oil for making my own blends and that is the initial blast that is throwing women off at first whiff. Civet alone is pure foul and dirty. Civet is in top 10 of grossest smell on earth. Into 15 minutes of it now and still a strong civet on top but am happily detecting the ginger and lilac coming through quite nicely. Will update in a few hours. So far I am excited as I anticipate its full bloom but right now it's a WTH?!

2 hours later... should be sufficient for most frags to come to full bloom. This may be a sleeper on me and I hope so, because all I am getting from Cabotine at this time is a civet bomb with a hint of lilac and the ginger has altogether disappeared. I dig civet as a sexy booster in a well constructed fragrance and hope this will be one of those wonderful, magical genies that keeps morphing into something that keeps me interested the full wear. I will be giving this a few more tries to pay it a fair review but things are not looking compatible regarding my relationship with Cabotine at this time. Cabotine may be Civetine on me.

Update - A civet bomb on me. I could like this otherwise. That ferocious fecal cat will not get off of me. Love the floral and ginger but there are too many other frags with those notes to smell like cat groin and pee poop. It's a no. :(

nitschevo

I had or have the same experience like Revontuli. I just can't make up my mind on this one. When I wear it (which isn't that often) I get compliments but I don't know if i love it, like it or leave it. I really seldom dislike fragrances and I certainly do not dislike this one. It could very easily be a Dior fragrance - it is a little along the lines of the classics of that house. I do think that it is timeless though and I can pick up the woody notes beside the flowers. But it's also fresh. So, as you can see - I'm no good with this one but will keep trying! Very nice bottle also. Simple but cute cap :)

anitaoolong
anitaoolong

Cabotine has been moved from my have list to had, and back again, and so on a number of times. The latest firm decision is that I like it today!

This brings to mind a graceful young lady enjoying morning tea at an historic mansion. The conservatory is light and airy, and the windows are open allowing the perfumes from the nearby gardens to be carried in on the warm breeze. The estate's collection of rare ginger plants and exotic flowers are in full bloom. Their scent mingles with the spiciness of carnations which are arranged in a crystal vase on the table. This scent is green, floral, sweet, and refined.

I knew from previous testing and reading many useful reviews here that a light application is essential! Also, I do think I prefer this in the warmer weather.

Revontuli

Another review on Cabotine... I hadn't been touching the bottle for a while as I was so but so confused about it. Whenever I sprayed it, I found myself sniffing and thinking for hours if I like this perfume or not. This is such a big challenge, I've never had such feelings for any other fragrance! But yesterday I felt brave enough and sniffed it from the cap. It smelled divine, I couldn't believe it was the same fragrance that had been sitting there. Conclusion: I can't describe this perfume to anyone, not even to myself. If you're brave, give it a chance and blindbuy it as I did. But otherwise don't without sniffing first or else you might regret a lot.

dorothea333
dorothea333

This is faul.
Like some insane looking chemist had made his brew stirring a big black pot, add the sound of an evil laughter, dark shadows, spiders crawling around...

This is just sharp, loud, chemical - no flowers for me at all.

I actually thought, that I would have liked it though - the notes seemed nice and interesting. I also like the story behind it. Therefore I almost couldn't believe what happened, when I tried it on. I stuck it out around 10 to 15 minutes, then I couldn't take it anymore. Good staying power - pretty hard to remove.

I read in one of the formers reviews, that it contains indolic (dirty) jasmine. May be that is, what puts me off(?), be cause the same thing happened to me smelling Fracas, that is also either loved or hated passionately. Fracas also contains indolic jasmine (and the creamy/milky/buttery note went completely sour on me. I would wish that notes like indolic white flowers or here indolic jasmin would be listed as a note both in the note pyramid and in the offical material, be cause the notes of dirty and virgin jasmin are so completely different. For some it seems to be pure magic and for others ait creates a scent of hell.
May be someone with more knowledge of the chemistry at work in perfumes could enlighten me. What note could it be, that divides peoples oppinions so sharply?

LadyPilot
LadyPilot

Sorry to all Cabotine Lovers, but to me it smells like a lady who had used some fragrance a few hours earlier but forgotten to use a deodorant and got sweat , having cleaned the whole house... Really. On EVERYONE I knew that wore this perfume. However upon spraying it does have some nice green and floral notes at first and definitely is recognizable.

Revontuli

I found about this perfume while looking for Tendre Poison. I'd been wanting it for long and finally blindbought it (Well, that's the only option anyway, I don't think I can find it in any shop here in Finland). This is so different than all the other perfumes I have. From the bottle it smells soapy. The first spray is really like a bomb: A bomb of flowers and soap but it gets softer very quickly. I've had it on my skin for an hour now and the most distinguishable note is hyacinth. I was expecting something warmer and spicier, but let's see. I'm so very confused about this perfume right now! But it's definitely an extraordinary one. So, beware.

Edit: Well, the longevity of this perfume is very short on me. Surprising and a bit disappointing.

SolangeN
SolangeN

Couldn't place this familiar scent for the longest time and then it hit me - it's a denser version of the old Avon Hawaiian White Ginger.

Ginger and ginger lily flowers smell very differently. Don't notice any ginger in this.

aelariel
aelariel

So disappointed.I bought this on recommendation as a replacement for Dior Tendre Poison,now so sadly discontinued. Oh, if only! It smells strongly of ordure on me: not pleasant. nothing like the complex beauty of DTP, in fact nothing like it at all on me. Maybe the indolic jasmine in it? Generally I can't detect many individual notes, but this is overpowering: I don't want to smell of poo!
I get no 'greenness' at all as other reviewers have said; in fact this is a heavy scent on me.
I am going to try layering it with some overly sweet modern fumes I have been given; since I don't want to smell like air freshener either; nothing to lose, so either I'll get something good, or I'll smell like a recently vacated (and sprayed) toilet.
My first post so I hope it's ok

mereltje
mereltje

I had this perfume about a year ago and at first i realy hated it.I thought it was to sharp, loud and screaming. After a few weeks i tried it again...Still nothing for me. I tried it again and again and i started to get more used to it. I began to smell all the notes apart; the ginger, hiacynth, vetiver, carnation and coriander... Its an interesting perfume, but i can imagine that some people have to get used to it: to me it is a very unusual smell. Very unique, fresh, green smell. But I like it now, a lot to be honest. Not for every day, but i am happy i have it. Also the bottle (my daughter called it "the broccoli") is very unique.

StopHammertime
StopHammertime

Definitely smells like Poison Tendre. Pretty much the exact same frag. I feel the same way about this one that I feel about Poison Tendre - confused. The first spray is horrible to me. I don't know what it is but it smells dirty and I want it off me. But 2 minutes later, when it has dried down a little, I start to like it. Throughout the day I keep on putting my hand up to my nose. Something about it makes me want to smell it over and over again. It smells like a huge bouquet of flowers, but with fresh green grass and some sweet kind of undertone. It's weird because it's not my type at all but I can't help but like this perfume.

AngelaChase
AngelaChase

I did a Cabotine review/dedication to the 90's teenage girl for facebook, and thought I'd share it as a review for Fragrantica...sorry about it's length (I didn't think I'd end up posting it here, or it would have been shorter)! Hope you enjoy it anyway Cabotine fans...

Why am I reviewing what would now be, a practically unknown perfume, and a name lost and forgotten, even by the very generation that made it so popular? Well, for that exact reason. Why is it now unknown...despite it's initial popularity for nearly 10 years straight? And the fact that those same girls who once wore it so proudly, are now women today, and have at least three to four different scents, from different designers, for different occasions, sitting upon their bedroom dressers...but not one of them being "Cabotine" anymore?
To answer that question...100% pure "Nostalgia"! AND, because it's attachment to the 90's, and what that time represented for every "Teen-angst" ridden teenage girl...is now, only a memory! One however, that is no longer reminisced through various outlets!
No movies, television series, music, magazine articles or "Dedicated to the 90's" TV specials, give us a glimpse of what life, for the generation of the 90's was really like anymore! And view-points that question the reasons why, are very quickly vanishing (Unlike the 80's, which is always being shoved down our throats so that we never forget what those 10 years did to change the world)!

Go inside the mind of any girl who was a 90's teen, and you'll still find the much loved necessities...those old ripped jeans (Yes, even the ones that purposely had the knees cut out with their very own pair of scissors), the baggy singlet tops, worn over a new pair of cargo pants, an over-sized, old army jacket that belonged to her father, followed by the black combat boots with undone laces...and the now infamous and very much loved "Plaid shirts", that every girl who followed the "Grunge scene" wore with pride, almost as a middle finger to her parents...knowing of their deepest distaste for a daughters so-called fashion!
The posters of "Nirvana", "Rage against the machine" and "The smashing pumpkins" that covered every space of wall one could find! And lets not forget the loud, somewhat obnoxious, self expressed anthem of "Jagged little pill" filling the room from angry speakers as a way of letting a girl scream away her pain, because, "No one understands me"!

That is exactly what "Cabotine" represented back then! And what's so great...is that it still does!
This was worn by a girl who wanted to be left alone with her thoughts and feelings whenever a typical, overbearing teen situation boiled to the surface and left her feeling like life was too much, forcing her to become withdrawn from her family and cold-spoken when having to speak during breakfast (Unlike the new generation of young girls today, who have social media and blogs to release their self-loathing anger and pain into the world).
She wore this with pride at the dinner table every night, knowing how much her parents hated the smell, while trying to hold back thoughts of stabbing her mother repeatedly with a fork, and leaving a mental-diary-entry in her mind for later that night when she pulled it out from under her mattress "I can not bring myself to eat a well balanced meal in-front of my mother...It just means too much to her". Then viciously smiling to herself, knowing that her father knew better than to comment on his daughters choice of scent out of fear that world war 3 would break out.
When skipping maths class every day, to lay in the school field with her friends and smoke away their small achievement of showing their teachers where to shove it!
But always best for a Friday night, when she would sneak out of her bedroom window after being grounded (Seems the math teacher rang daddy) and hitch a ride with her best friend, to the latest backyard party, filled with keggers, dopes and smokes, bottles of beer that have now turned warm, and plenty of pissed-off neighbours who rang the police every 30 minutes to complain about the try-hard, teenage rock band, screaming lyrics for the whole street to suffer. And all while she gained attention from every young boy, who tried her lips throughout the night knowing that something was different about her...the way she left them in a cloud of paralysing "Cabotine"!

A girl back then who longed to be "Mrs Cobain", and jumping with a mosh-pit to the "The red hot chili peppers" did not wear anything rose or vanilla infused...NO WAY (Leave that to the blond bimbos and air-head, "Clueless" wannabes)! She was a rebel, she was a leader, she was outspoken and fiery...and she was damn proud of it too!

Despite all the floral and fruit notes in this one-of-a-kind concoction..."Cabotine" was created, crafted and centred, directly around "The gingerlily"! Added with green floral and sharp aldehyde notes to make it a distinctive scent, that's ready to slap the next face that makes eye contact! It also makes "Cabotine" the first perfume to actually contain "Gingerlily", not only as an added feature, but as THE main note all together!

"Cabotine" does not change scents during it's wear-time! Different notes do not have their own time to shine, every couple of minutes, like most of todays mainstream rubbish! It is pure "Gingerlily" from the first spray, to the last remains on your skin! Making it a killer accessory that will always make you stand out from the crowd of those "Celebrity Perfume" and "The body shop" fanatics, who are basically wearing the same thing!

The creator "Jean-Claude Delville" was expected to make a light but lasting perfume, which was a very hard task to do back in 1990...as most perfumes hitting the stores were coming off the backstreets of the powerhouse 80's, with their EDP's and pure perfume oils! Very few EDT's (Toilette's) even existed back then, so "Cabotine" was another ground breaker, with it's new, light spray, that surrounds your body like a wall of confidence...But give it 20/30 minutes, and it then becomes close to the skin, but with a closed fist, ready to swing!
Best for day wear and the Summer season (Also for early Autumn...with the green accords being so strong).
Lasting power is best for those with dry skin types. You'll get 4/5 hours of this before it starts to vanish, so not good for moist skin. But seeming the price has always been one of it's biggest winners ($10 to $15 for a 50mil bottle) it's pleasing to spray this 2/3 times a day and not have to worry about breaking the bank!
It also has an Asian feel about it, yet there's not enough Asian notes in the mix to make it an "Oriental" standard!
For those who are wondering, "Does it smell like Ginger?". Well...yes...and no! I guess it's name really does explain it all.. Ginger (But nothing too stale or pungent) and Lily (with nothing too crisp or sweet)! Almost like walking down the fresh, green vegetable isle of your local grocery store, with spices in one hand and a bouquet of white flowers in the other! Also has that "Freshly cut grass" aroma, which is something most people find very appealing! So despite all the notes that are entwined, it's a very simple scent, but makes itself known!

The bottle design has a very 90's feel about it (The box looks and feels like it's made from recycled paper...very cute). Some have commented that the bottles top, looks like broccoli, when it's meant to be a green version of the "Gingerlily's" big, white petals!
With it's green head, and small, round body that holds yellow liquid...I can't help but always think of an Oompa Loopa, every time I see it!

Because we are bombarded with every kind of flower, sugar sweet, candy-cane themed perfume today, that seems to make up the majority of people...you can be ready to make the biggest statement of all when wearing this amongst them! But be warned...not everyone will like this kind of "Punch you in the throat" approach to perfume, and you may even witness a reaction of head-turning or fanning of the face, from the od person who lives their life in a mist of gardenia!
But then again, that's exactly why you're wearing it in the first place...because that rebellious streak inside needs to feel alive and in control and will never be held down by society! You are independent, you are shocking, you are daring, you are a rule breaker, you are your own person...you are..."Cabotine"!

Fragaria
Fragaria

I smell a sh....eat load of carnation. I agree that it must be worn lightly. Myself, I will walk through the mist and wait two hours before leaving the house. Ya kinda wanna add just an extra squirt or two because it settles down and is very pleasant....don't do it! I'm a blind buyer, if it's cheap, and this is. I think this will appeal to many of those around me, but it's not necessarily to my own liking. It's definitely not a waste, but not one I'll grab for often...I don't think? It has a funeral home odor to me and brings to my minds image, one of those pink colored lights over the deceased person. If that light pink cast has a scent, this is it. I didn't put this thought at the beginning for fear of scaring you off. This is very nostalgic, and I think it's just because of the carnation. It seems quite a bit more dated than what L'Origin by Coty is. Again, these aren't negative thoughts because this is so pleasant. I put this in the "same smell" group as L'Origin, Beautiful, and L'Air du Temp and I'm sure there are many others I'm not aware of. This can be a good blind buy if your very open-minded and have many personalities. Alas, the bottle is kinda cute and user friendly. It's pretty cute on the dresser and I'll leave it out because, so what if it goes bad? It's cheap and I can get another just about any time. In a word, this is interesting.

Ulusia
Ulusia

This scent is unique to me as no other scents are fresh and crispy strong at the same time. Ugly bottle with a suprisingly lovely content. I loved Ch. Dior Poison Tendre and I love Cabotine.

danceforjoy
danceforjoy

This review does not deserve to get thumbs up, but suffice it to say that I don't know whether to like all the screaming flowers - or to be completely horrified. Whatever it is, it's a floral, soapy cacophony.

Update ~ 1 hr later: (You can't make this up) My floral-sensitive, including some tuberose-hating housemates have returned. 2 thumbs up! (1 abstention). It has calmed to a powdery, rosy, delicate, slightly old-fashioned soapy, white floral, predominantly hyacinth, rather unique, delicate perfume.

This one really can grow on a person.

Oh - and the bottle - so cute - worth the price alone.

Somnus
Somnus

It's really strong at first. But I really like this spicy and soapy scent. Actually I don't like the scent of white flowers though, this is quite good for me.

carollyncheeyen
carollyncheeyen

Way, way, way too strong!!
I only had one spray, and...
The opening note was a pungent hard-to-describe bouquet of horror, reminded me of cheap old hotel bathroom scents.
I did like the middle note after half an hour or so, when it toned down,
but the dry down just smelled even more like a cheap hotel bathroom scent.
Otherwise, it is indeed long lasting with great silage.
But if you are thinking of blindly buying one like me, please don't!! You have been warned...

Sorry to those who love it, I think it's old and unattractive on me. The full bottle of EDP is still with me, will be happy to swap, just PM me.

Preferably in Malaysia/Singapore/South East Asia.

amapola09
amapola09

Im very disappointed cause I'd really like to like it :( But its just too soapy and old fashioned to me, I remember smelling this scent in my grandma's bathroom.

Reminds me of those european soaps and shower gels with a very strong green scent; it is also true that it lasts for hours, but it smells the same all the time, its too linear at least on my skin, I prefer perfumes that have an evolution during the day.

It smells mostly like grass. Just not for me.

Chiropeg
Chiropeg

Sweet green floral with a little spice to add dimension. It lasts and lasts. Reminds me of the era when perfume was "perfumey." This is the antithesis of all those aqua fragrances that last 15 minutes. Why bother with them?!

onome
onome

i have this and it lingers on for a very very long time as if ur just putting it on right outta d shower... it has dis sharp flowery scent and it just hits ur nose at first but then it dries oiff leavin a much more milder and appreciative smell...it sticks to ur cloths even after washing .. cool.

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen - Ladies specially, because this review is for you.

I could not write about this little fragrance without any amount of affection because it lives in my heart. And it is with affection that I say "little" as something cute, delicate, in my humble opinion.

When I was a teen in the early 90's there was this cologne in Brazil named after "Spirit of Flowers" by O Boticário. Later, I found out it was an obvious copy of Cabotine which had been recently launched and became an instant hit because it would match the usual warm weather and due to its price.

I wore the national copy due to be more affordable, and some time later, I tried Cabotine and knew it was much, much better and finely crafted.

As O Boticário has always had this horrid habit to simply take successful fragrances out of market, regardless of their faithful clients, I knew one day I would be orphan of my beloved Spirit of Flowers. (And it happened quite soon). However I also knew one day I would be holder of a lovely and cute bottle of Cabotine, with its gentle, exquisite and captivating spirit. The true spirit of flowers.

I had - as I have - never felt a fragrance like this. And I say "felt" meaning my senses and my emotions. It deepens my breath in order to feel all those flower notes, closes my eyes so nothing disturbs us and makes my imagination and memories drift and fly.

Perhaps Cabotine is poetry in liquid form. Or maybe a magic potion to the spirit. One might be transported to an ethereal garden where spring is the constant and eternal season, or simply thrown back in their most fantastic childhood dreams. Heaven only knows. (Heaven; what an appropriate word now).

I read the review of Ms. Mooniq where she said the eau de parfum was better than the eau de toilette. I agree. It is concentrated enough to last over half a day or a night. I confess I like to wear it to bed. It relaxes me.

For those who are considering Cabotine as their next acquisition, my advice is the usual: try it on skin before buying. Spray it lightly from some distance and wait a few good seconds until it dries. Then smell it.

When worn in the correct way, Cabotine will not annoy you or even others. It is actually a compliment getter. It delivers a light green floral atmosphere with delicate fruity notes. A true masterpiece by the house of Grès.

I would say Cabotine appeals to that gentle side of us. One of my aunts, who is also my godmother, is addict to it. She is a small woman with a kind personality. There could not be a better choice for her.

For those who consider a blind buy, I say: okay. It is a beautiful fragrance and it is quite probable that you will like it. (Remember my advice when trying it on skin). If you do not, or if it simply does not work on your skin, you will have a nice gift to someone else. But someone who really likes floral notes.

I highly recommend it.

valbona.bergman
valbona.bergman

This has become my favorite perfume, from the beggining to the end it keeps me interested and i smell my wrist all day long. I applied it this morning at 8:30 and now being 5:30 afternoon it has defenitely evolved to something milder than the first spray but still going strong! Sillage is great ,2 sprays and i have it on my nose all day long. Longevity enormous!! To me it smells expensive and it is so well blended that i can not tell apart anything, as someone said i smell cabotine and nothing else smells like cabotin (meaning in the natural world not comparing other perfumes)
It works great with my chemistry and that is what matters in a perfume.

Moldybread
Moldybread

Alas, I hate it, too. I'm pretty forgiving, there aren't many fragrances I actively dislike, but this is horrible. It's got this greasy green odor. Something like algae, gasoline and cheap green lollipops with the sugar removed all mixed together. It's pervasive and lasts far too long. I've never smelled the vintage but this is vile.
Other Cabotine may be fine, I actually like Cabotine Gold, but not this.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

Not a real review for now, but I wanted to say, I hate the reformulation with a passion and I very much like the older version. Do not write this one off before you smell vintage!

I will be back later with a complete review.

bluebellinthewoods
bluebellinthewoods

Always loved the smell from the bottle. Grass and sea air mixed into one puff. On the skin however for me it's migraine hell.

ziiiazii
ziiiazii

if i use this perfume, i always smell like i'm just done showering.
it smelled sooo freshh..
but somehow it doesn't impress me more

judyahn
judyahn

I got the edt version and I so wish that I bought the edp in a bigger bottle.I have the 1.7oz one but when I repurchase this im definitely getting a bigger bottle with more strength. I love the smell. It's not overwhelming and it stays with you for a while. I think with me, it stayed on for like four hours or so. I'm definitely gonna be using this all the time. I'm 22, and this smells not too old or not too young. Very fresh!

Update: Mine went BAD because I left it in the SUN! ooooohh.....i'm lamenting on my loss. smells really sharp and not attractive at all.

tucuca
tucuca

I really hate this fragance with all my heart, is cheap, sharp and it turns very stinky when is drying out. My aunt used to wear 13 years ago it and it makes me sick to remember that smell on the air!!!

jana.hullinghorst

oh wow this is quite interesting! I am the proud new owner of an EDP.

This is a scent I've smelled thorough out my life and never knew what it was until now. Impressive despite the price tag, You are getting way more than you pay for here. Cabotine is complex, cool, and not for the faint of heart. Should be applied with a light hand as I can see this being a fragrance someone else will hate haha! And with that being said, it is a true working woman's signature scent. Distinct and memorable.

IsaIsabella

I used to dislike this scent. But having had my sense of smell developed through better appreciation of fragrances, I decided to smell this again.

This starts off with a burst of white florals, notably blooming gardenias and jasmines. There is just the slightest hint of a chypre-like element along with a touch of green, probably due to the galbanum. But they quickly fade from the center stage as the not-so-spicy ginger floral note takes prominence, along with a smattering of candied fruits in the background. There's also a whiff of civet/musk as well.

The longevity and sillage of Cabotine de Grès is fantastic. I used to decide that it'd be best as a toilet air freshener but now I think it'd be nice on the skin as well. Definitely smells more expensive than the price tag.

I found an Eau de Parfum splash 30 ml. I just dab a little with the cap on my neck and its just perfect! Its easy to find the Eau de Toilette-version - but look for the Eau de Parfum-version - its sooo much better, soo much twin to Dior - Tendre Poison. Smokey, warm, deep, supercatwomanonthehunt!! yep! =)

Jag hittade en Eau de Parfum splash 30 ml. Bara duttar på lite med korken på halsen och det är perfekt! Det är lätt att hitta Eau de Toilette-versionen men leta efter Eau de Parfum-versionen, den är en tvilling av Dior Tendre Poison. Rökig, varm, djup, superpumanpåjaktdoft! Yep! =)

bananas
bananas

I TOTALLY agree with the reviewer below.
I too own Cabochard & Cabotine now & they are SO strong & pungent on that initial spray.....& I am not quite sure why I have them.... but I seem to get more & more 'addicted' to wanting to wear them & kind of 'miss' them when I do not wear them for a while....yes very strange....

janelle70
janelle70

initial blast - fresh but with that unmistakable granny note. what is that?
30 minutes - soapy
2 hours - sophisticated old lady scent. could get ylang-ylang and vetiver.

nice to use as after bath -- it seems to extend the soapy smell for a few more hours.

the strange thing about the 2 Gres perfumes i own (the first being Cabochard) is that i really didn't like them the first time i tried them (they were both blind buys, by the way) but by the next time i wear them, they start to grow on me. i really really wonder why that is.

pushya
pushya

I just picked up 100 ml edt for 19$. It was a blind buy and I'm very disappointed. Because I know this scent very well. It's the same scent of "pastel dolce vita" which is very well konown and cheap local scent in my country.

Molliepops
Molliepops

I first discovered Cabotine in 1995. I spent a year in the USA living with an American family, as their nanny. They were very wealthy and the Mother of the children was addicted to Cabotine. I coud smell it everywhere in the house.

Smelling it again recently in TK Maxx, I was transported back to my nannying days as a young woman. Now though, I find this fragrance too heavy and cloying. Its brash and strong, and dare I say it, a bit masculine. Its distinctive, but not one for day wear.

Its not one that I would consider buying. I liked it once, but my tastes have now changed, and I prefer a classy, understated fragrance. I don't want to shout from the rooftops that I am approaching!

StellaXYH
StellaXYH

Cabotine opens like tuberoses grown from earth. Sweet flowers accompanied by earthiness and greenness. Then it evolves into a scent very similar to Dove soap if my memory recalls well. Soapy at first, then it mellows and becomes less sharp. After about 3 hours, jasmine becomes prominent among all the floral notes but not overpowering. It then continues the ode to flowers for another 7 hours.

Cabotine is like a garden. It doesn't punch into face like a bouquet of various flowers. The flowers shows themsevles one after another along the path of the evolution of the fragrance while still in harmony. I can't pick any green or woody notes distinctively, but I can certainly feel their efforts balancing the whole fragrance. The sillage is quite good, but it doesn't smell heavy, more like flowers brought by the wind, floating in the air. The longevity is between 10 and 12 hours.

A wonderful fragrance for spring!

swarley_mon
swarley_mon

the perfume bottle reminds me of broccoli

pipergirl
pipergirl

I just picked this up as a blind buy and I don't care for it. While the notes look interesting, I find this fragrance to be an overwhelming explosion of oddly spiced, very green, way too sweet florals over pissy pee pee black currant. To its credit, Cabotine has great longetivity and sillage. But it is just way too potent for me.

DecoElegance
DecoElegance

I just picked up a bottle of Cabotine EDP for $10 at TJ Maxx. It was a total blind buy, but the reviews here were so convincing and the price so reasonable that I took the plunge. I am not disappointed. Truthfully, I have had some recently terrible go-rounds with considerably more expensive chypre florals that I won't name here. I typically go oriental spicey in the winter (shalimar, opium), chypre fruity in the fall (mitsouko, femme rochas), oriental floral in the spring (l'heure bleue, black orchid), and chypre floral in the summer (yet to find something that quite literally sticks). This packs the punch that I so desire (as my review indicates, I like my perfumes "loud").

The reviews here are truly helpful, and, in particular, those that describe Cabotine's unpretentiousness are spot on. Perhaps my judgement is clouded by lowered expectations contingent to her price and age: she's not complicated in the least, and she smells very '90s. But I so respect her for being formulaic. She doesn't promise anything that she doesn't deliver, and her composition is very technically chypre floral. At the same time, she doesn't smell cheap or affected like a celebrity scent or myriad other drugstore perfumes.

Will I stop searching my perfect summer chypre floral? No. Will Cabotine always have a spot in my perfume cabinet? Absolutely. If you are a chypre fan of any stripe and are looking for an everyday scent, I would highly recommend keeping a bottle of this on hand.

lilbit
lilbit

I ordered this hoping it would smell like Tender Poison. It does, BUT you have to wait for it. When I first sprayed it, it was very harsh and smelled like a fragrance someone's grandma would wear. Then it transformed into a warmer, spicier Tender Poison. I actually like it. A word of caution, a little goes a long way. This is not a fragrance you want to use a lot of.

rethsarah
rethsarah

There is a mountain covered by forest a few hours from where I live. Vehicles are prohibited and if you want to get around, you ride horseback or walk. My grandmother has a little hotel up there; I spent my summer holidays with her every year. We took long walks in the forest, to the cliffs and to watch the sunset. After it rained, the woods smelt like this.

These past few years, I've nursed my empty bottle of Tendre Poison. Refusing to take a sniff except on the rarest occasions, like I would sully it somehow. It was the smell of my youth, the people I loved; the perfume that started my love for scent.

Like many before me, I gave Cabotine a chance because Tendre was no longer an option, a shame since apparently this came first. This is not a dead ringer for Tendre, but beautiful in its own right. A little darker and sweeter and with impressive longevity, though to be fair I have this in EdP compared to Tendre's EdT. To me, this is Jen-Claude Delville's finest creation. It walks a surprisingly linear path from the bottle to application to drydown, not evolving so much as changing moods.

Cabotine is beautiful but harshly so. It's green, fresh, complex and unique. It's so retro, but revolutionary and I am thrilled to have found it.

celia46
celia46

This is my mum signature scent and I love it !!! Reminds me a lot of good memories when I was a teen.
She always get compliments and is long lasting.

dhiagelev
dhiagelev

This perfume is really powerful, sharp, yet sweet with an animalic undertone. I really like it, as it is lasts and lasts, cleavage dab lasting from 9 am and still at 8pm, as strong! This I regard as a definite plus.
It is intriguing, sophisticated and very well blended. To be honest I had never heard of this one and took a chance on a cheapo from Ebay, something I often do and frequently it pays off. This one did, a real woman's perfume. Definitely a favourite.

pink and pink
pink and pink

Very beautiful and chic fragrance timeless for real ladies.

priscillaemrich
priscillaemrich

This was a blind buy, based on the reviews here. I got a great deal from Amazon and couldn't resist. This is the first time I've put it on and I LOVE it.

curvealert
curvealert

I've always had Cabotine in my collection; it's one of those love-it-or-hate-it scents that smells a lot more expensive than it actually is. Luckily it seems to suit me, despite the civet note that can sometimes turn nasty. I particularly love the drydown; once the aldehydes fade you are left with a classic, sophisticated, long lasting, spicy floral blend that smells gorgeous if applied cautiously. It's true that the opening is very harsh and sharp, but that is often the case with chypres and florals. Yes, it costs a tenner, but don't let that put you off!

Revontuli

In most of the comments point out two words: Green and spicy. Yes, this is what I've been looking for. I don't like pure green, fresh smells. I always love some warmth in a scent, which I can use every season of the year and any time of the day. And a fellow member of Fragrantica suggested me this scent(I was looking for Tendre Poison by Dior) and I'm going to give this one a try:)

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

This is an AWESOMELY FRESH fragrance... it is very clean, youthful, upbeat, playful - and reminds me of spring/summer. It is one of my favorite fragrances to wear when I will be walking the dogs or outdoors most of the day. It is light and not over-powering, it has a very nice dry down and stays true to form from beginning of the spray to the last dry down phase.

This has a outdoorsy freshness that is very similar to Eau du Ciel, but this lasts much longer on my skin.

I was first introduced to this fragrance by a neighbor and friend of mine who wore this in one of my favorite high rise buildings in the downtown area. I could smell this every time that I walked by her unit on the way down the hall to my place. She was a fabulous decorator/designer and a gourmet cook who had moved to San Diego from the NYC area... she was an affluent woman, well bred, so this fragrance has an upper crust type feel to it because of my initial impression of the woman wearing this and her personal style and taste.

I've worn this for about 12 years or so, and really never grow tired of it. It is a staple in my casual wear fragrance wardrobe. I wear this about once a week throughout the year, but it is especially nice in the spring/summer! Very light, happy, playful, and "spring-ish"!

The price-point on this fragrance is a great selling feature. You can find great prices on this particular fragrance.

Love this stuff! It is truly fabulous!

---------------

I just sampled David Yurman's Fresh Essence and this seems to be a sister to Cabotine! Both are very green, bright, and have a fun upbeat lift to them that draws you in! Love these two!

pierson
pierson

This was a blind buy for me, based on reviews here. Green, cheerful, gingery, spicy floral, clean. Sounds wonderful, and probably is, to many, many people. However, not to me.

I sprayed this on in the morning, and omg. It was *piercing,* not unlike a spike through the head, and nausea-inducing. Sweet, sweet, sweet, and *white.* Maximum unpleasantness; it made me want to scrub it off immediately. But I know from one of my favorites, Toujours Moi, that sometimes you do get a horrid opening only to have it dry down into something wonderful. So I waited...and waited. While the heavy sharpness faded somewhat, it's still (four hours later) far too heavy and sweet for me.

I'd hoped for something light and fresh and green, as so many described it, but this perfume is not that for me. A pity. On the right people, I'm sure this is lovely, but white florals and I seem to have a difficult relationship.

This will be a gift for my sister, I think, though I'll probably try it out a couple more times before making that final decision.

pattyk
pattyk

Wow! I bought this, as usual, as a blind buy. I usually go by reviews and mostly what's in it. I bought a 1 oz. bottle, just in case. When I received it, I opened it up, sprayed a bit on my wrist and then......I fell in love with it! I already have a couple others by Gres so this shouldn't have been a great surprise. It's a shout of flowers, ginnger and spice when you first put it on. After a while it gets softer but doesn't lose it's flavor. It lasted about 4 hours and after that I could still smell it but I doublt, but don't know if anyone else could. I actually ordered another bottle but this time the 3.4 oz. bottle. I'm trying a few others from the Gres line too. I mean you can love more than one perfume at a time. I own so many and I just take turns using them, depending on my mood.

shoshana25
shoshana25

yuck....This was a blind buy for me and I wish I hadn't done that! Nasty, mature smell. Not for me.

aficionada
aficionada

I wanted to like Cabotine so badly, but I couldn't. I tried it so many times, and still it was a complete disaster. There are so many fresh notes that I love, but this spiciness-woodiness kills everything. Sadly I have to accept that it's not for me.

craftymom
craftymom

This was a blind TJ Maxx buy for me. I don't like this at all. It does smell fresh but it's overwhelming and suffocating to me. It's gingery but, to me, the other notes don't go with the ginger. It makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. I wish I had something nice to say about it. It's very different from anything I've smelled before.

yettb
yettb

pretty clean and fresh long lasting green carnation gives it some spice and out of the bottle it is soooo powerful it took a long time for me to be willing to try it but it is very wearable feminine fun floral and I looove that 'cabotine' means mischief! it makes it even more fun to wear and it does last for several hours

ryanhuynh
ryanhuynh

It's smell like a soap. But the longevity's so so great. I love Cabotine Rose better

Lorevdv
Lorevdv

So femenine and cute!
Makes me feel happy and clean!

bobo1
bobo1

The most dominant note in it (IMHO) is the ginger lily(smells nothing like ginger). If you're familiar with Kimono by Simon Chang you'll understand what I mean. Kimono is cleaner and less animalic.

Gia85
Gia85

I knew this perfume on Fragrantica a month ago and was love, use it to sleep and makes me 'feel good reminds me of the hug of a child, is a scent that makes me 'smile

PastelMoon
PastelMoon

I love the sharp green aldehydic start but it quickly fades to a fairly basic sweet floral scent that is a bit too sweet and slightly boring. It also has a boozy undertone that i dislike. I wish the initial stage stayed throughout ... I tried the EDT, maybe i shall try the Parfum version.

IsaIsabella

Sweet, green floral scent with heavy sillage and 5-7hours longevity. Smells synthetic to me and that's just not my thing.
It's hot and humid here so if I were to smell this on someone in close range I'll probably gag.
It's suited for day and night use, although I think it's best to spray less of it in the day lest you become a perfume bomb.
So, unfortunately, I do not like this. Makes wonderful toilet air freshener though - the scent lingers and lingers.

HORRIDFRAG
HORRIDFRAG

Gres Cabotine starts with ginger-floral accord which I would rather describe it as quite citric, than fresh. Later, in minutes, it becomes fruity-spicy, and you can really detect the plum and blackcurrant notes, then it turns to be woody, and powdery, with the present of subtle floral accord. Quite unusual, but I happen to really like the fragrance!

alchimia72

TanteSimone, I had the exact your sensation the last time I tried Cabotine on my skin. I distintly smelled the plum and the blacKcurrant and my mind went immediately versus the first Poison not Tendre Poison. It's warm, full of faces, the green aspect, the fruity and warm aspect, the presence of gingerlily, so it's very complex even if it seems to be a simple green fragrance.
I really love it and I have the intention to buy it in the immediate future. Tendre Poison was launched after Cabotine, and I think that maybe the house Dior was inspired by this little green fragrance who is an icone and a great example of the green family!

velvetulipe
velvetulipe

This is the perfume I wore through out my teen years. Brings back so many memories. It's a floral yet tangy smell. I think I would buy it again just to feel 16 again ^^

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

I finally understood the comparisons with Tendre Poison! The first time I tried it---it was hot and humid and seriously, it resembled the Poison, the classic one in the purple bottle on my skin. After a few minutes, it became slightly floral and became similar to EA's RED DOOR. Because of one of the topics in the forums today, I decided to try it again, in a colder drier weather. I got Tendre Poison and I couldn't be happier.

So since my beloved TP is impossible to find here, I'd wear Cabotine and just imagine it is Tendre Poison. Maybe I'd learn to love it as much as I do the green bottled Poison. I wish.

Now that I think about it...Is it possible that Cabotine was created with the classic Dior Poison in mind, and Tendre Poison was in turn inspired by Cabotine? The thought makes me smile.

tainiale
tainiale

Cabotine was a blind buy for me, and it was just to prove myself that hiacynth simply does not work with my body chemistry. It's a blast of hiacynth at first spray and I doubt any other note would feel more prominent for anyone other than this in the opening. I was very disapointed as I really wanted to like this juice seeing the reviews and the complexity of the note pyramid but after a couple of attempts, I am finally stuck with the same nauseating feeling of too strong hiacynth..

I would be glad to swap, I am sure this works perfectly on other persons. I have a full bottle of 50 ml in box.

aoviatt
aoviatt

At 42, I find my taste in scents is changing dramatically. Cabotine is the kind of perfume I would have hated as a child because it smells like perfume, not fruit, or flowers, or something... more accessible. It goes on very sharp with strong sillage. It's winter in a VERY dry climate, and I have dry skin, yet I can smell this quite nicely four hours later. It is quite green in the beginning, and drys down to a very nice floral that still has plenty of character. In the beginning, this smells like a bridal shower or cocktail hour at the country club. Later it's something more personal, sexy, and I think memorable. I can imagine a man remembering you by this unique scent, as a strong alluring woman. At least I hope so. ;-)

PS: In the beginning it reminds me of a green version of White Shoulders, but it quickly improves in a way I find worth it.

TaniaClamp
TaniaClamp

Sooooo gorgeous!! Clean and fresh in a floral feminine sensual way. Good for all occasions.... even at times when you want to be close to your loved one!! Feminine, sexy without being loud .... an absolute must have! :-)

Sååååååå underbar!!!!! Ren, fräsch på ett blommigt kvinnligt sensuellt vis. Kanon vid alla tillfällen.... även vid nära het kontakt!!!! Kvinnlig, sexig utan att vara högljudd.... en absolut måste ha! :-)

Anmo
Anmo

I think i rediscovered Cabotine as a winter scent...
Chilly air neutralizes a weird sweet-sour fizz that warm weather sometimes (not always though) seems to evaluate...
I'm getting tired of my 'comforting' winter scents (probably it is vanilla that tires me a bit) and this little green sharp gem Cabotine offers a great relief.
It smells very earthy and green in winter, i feel refreshed but 'warmly wrapped' with its scent.

tanithh
tanithh

It's a very strong, elegant, sweet , long lasting scent. An excellent buy ! It's fantastic.

weareclouds
weareclouds

I tried this perfume in a store about a year ago. I loved it. I didn't have the money to buy it then. Because, I wanted to get another fragrance. But, I kept the scent in my mind. This Christmas. My mother bought this for me. In the gift set form. It just arrived today. And, on the first spray I knew I was in love. I'm still wearing it right now. I reapplied it once today. But, it lasts a while anyways. It's like a warm sweater that you don't want to take off. Amazing.

jazzallil
jazzallil

i finally got this adorable scent for Xmas. It was a blindbuy - it based on the reviews that this perfume is similar to Tendre poison. I've never had a chance to sniff Tendre poison, but I'm a huge fan of the whole Poison line. At the first sniff i thought that mmm...this reminds me the original Poison. For me it's nothing green or harsh in it, just an 80's style floral perfume with a lil' touch of aldehides. (i usually dislike aldehides, but in this case i'm really diggin them :). I can imagine that it was a pre-reformulated version with less fruityness but more spicyness. The point is that this scent is lovely, fresh, ideal for spring/summertime.

Annelien1987
Annelien1987

I really like it. My mother and I both bought a 100ml and we love it. It is special but soft. Very flowery. Lasts a long time. Very inexpensive.

Estreee
Estreee

Tengo una muy buena imitación del Cabotine ya hace años, lo amo con todo mi ser..pero vaya que ayer me lleve una gran desilución, siempre dije que cuando pasara por una perfumería olería el original, y si debo decir que mi imitación es igual! pero de seguro el original es mucho más potente, por eso fue medio chocante oler tan fuerte y así todo no duro un maximo de 4 hs. Mi imitación se fija mejor y sorprendemente es más duradera! Increible..pero se esta terminando! así que ahora estoy en busca de un aroma raro, oriental-chypre-especiado-exotico-amaderado..nose algo suave, pero llamativo a la vez..no pasar desapercibida seria la cuestión!

pbluberry
pbluberry

Wow... this is some strong perfume. I'm trying to like it but it's strong even in small dosage. My BF loves it, he said it smells like a kind of bubble gum he had when he was a child. I don't know any bubble gum smelling or tasting like that. Strange.... Anyhow, I don't love it but I don't hate it. It's probably a scent to get used to. It's hard to describe the scent, very complex. And the lasting power is superb, wish all perfumes lasted this long.

Sonia505
Sonia505

Very pleased i discovered this, it reminds me so much of Tendre poison, which i loved, Tendre is a little warmer.

Amberline
Amberline

I bought this very cheaply at T.J. Maxx because the name was French and the bottle was cute. When I first smelled it, I hated it because it was SO strong and overpowering, and I don't like strong scents. However I've used it a couple times since and I'm starting to love it. It is what I'd call a complex, classic French scent that is not for the faint-hearted. I don't have the ability to separate the elements by smell, but I do like the subtle, powdery dry down.

annesue
annesue

Cabotine is one of those fragrances that people notice when you walk by. It is very long lasting...a bit heavy at first, but I have worn it for years, and receive endless compliments. When I was first introduced to the fragrance, I thought it smelled like the elderly women in church ( Emeraude, and Windsong)...However, I gave it a chance, and really fell in love with it. If you're looking for a classic scent, that doesn't fade after a few hours, you will not be disappointed with Cabotine.

s_athena
s_athena

Well this sucks...
I wanted this to work out, but on me this smells old. The sharpness of the aldehydes and ginger on top were good, but this turned super green on me and devolved into lily-scented air freshener. LILIES? NOOOOO!

My nemesis strikes again.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

I got a bottle of original Cabotine and was looking forward to green notes and aldehydes. Mmmff...I got tuberose, jasmine and more tuberose. Not quite at headache level, but close. And yes, it is light, if white florals are "light" and it does last forever, even on me. Which made for an unpleasant day. Why do I keep trying these white florals? Because sometimes the other notes come out to play and they are delightful together.
It was worth trying, but only once.

piapedersen
piapedersen

If you are right about this beauty reminding you of Dior's green poison, you have just made me a very happy woman. Since it's one of my all time favourites I was VERY disappointed when they discontinued it. So thanks a lot. I'll order it today ;O)

sugarlemon
sugarlemon

just got this today...not sure what I think yet. Current weather is rainy...I'd like to smell this on myself in hot and humid weather, not just chilly humid. Certainly a fragrance too cool off in when it's hot.

TylerTremallose
TylerTremallose

I really like this one. First off, I thought the box was really charming.
Then I opened it and was a little disappointed in the green flowers on top, although I love the color of green they are. The name on the bottle feels a little cheap to me though but I can deal with it.

Scent wise, I really love it. Its a floral scent I can actually deal with without it feeling too much for me. I would really love to buy this one again if I find it!
I got it at Ross for $15 so it was a good bargain for me!

Zephyrae13
Zephyrae13

oh my heavens. Never have i ever encountered a scent that upon initial spray made my insides turn. Oh so bitter, this juice simply reeks! I even waited for the dry down, oh man it was terrible. I don't think I've ever given a review this bad, I'm so sorry to all the people who love this. this green scent is acrid, like acid, and I for one do not want to be reminded of my stint as a lab rat. it smells to me like mixing of chemicals. yup just straight chemicals out of the bottle. sharp, and gives me a fierce headache and nausea.

A. Rose123
A. Rose123

Bitter clover, crunchy grasses and smooth, jammy currants. This is one of those deceptively "fresh and clean" scents that seems light upon initial application, but can bloom into an incredibly tencious and expansive scent if over applied. I like just a hint of it on my skin when I want to give the impression that I made a fussy effort getting ready :). It's distinctive and clean and would make a great "professional setting" scent.

The ginger lily accord adds a touch of powdery spiciness and the cybet (I'm assuming, considering budget restrictions, that it is a replacement for civet -- I hope it is! I wouldn't want to support them if it was the real thing!) adds a velvety, animalic warmth in the base, that hints at musty furs or leathers. That slight mustiness makes an otherwise squeaky-clean, sunday-coffee-and-perfume scent seem a bit rebellious and I could see cigarette smoke being able to meld with this blend.

If you like dry, crunchy, green scents and liked the melon/calone undertones of late 80's and 90's scents like "Byblos", "Poison" and "Eden", you'll probably appreciate "Cabotine" (which, I believe, means "show-off", as in, flamboyant kind of showiness). It's a sheerer interpretation of "Poison" with a hint of the chemical greeness of "Eden". I really enjoy it...in small doses. It's, both, one of a kind and yet, gives the most general impression of "perfume".

Catty
Catty

For me, it Smells cheap and artificial. Terrible...

While Ebay prices are going up and up for hard-to-find bottles of Dior's Tendre Poison, its cheaper alternative, Gres Cabotine seems to be decreasing in price. I know which one I'd buy.

Gres Cabotine is a unique fragrance, one that truly stands out from the crowd. Honestly, it's not my personal cup of tea, however I do appreciate it. If green florals are your thing, and you haven't already tried Cabotine, now would be the perfect time to find a bottle.

The composition is quite complex, so it's not surprising that the scent varies with every wearing. Some days it smells like a tropical floral on my skin, other days it's quite soapy and sweet. The notes that never seem to change are the fuzzy peach, sweet tangerine, hyacinth, cassia, ginger and watery jasmine.

I suppose you could call Cabotine a classic, seeing that it's been on the market since I was born. It has spawned many flankers since, with the delightful Cabotine Rose being one of them.

Cabotine reminds me of a lush rainforest with small rays of sunshine peeking through the gaps of the trees above. This is not far off Dior's Tendre Poison which made me think of long lost tribes in the jungle. Both of them signalled the beginning of an interesting fragrance genre.

The longevity of Cabotine is superb, as is the moderate to strong sillage. As a word of warning, this fragrance should be applied sparingly. Thank goodness this gem is still relatively easy to find. It has my tick of approval.

tumbellina
tumbellina

I just got this and I'm not sure about it yet. I think I'll end up either deciding I love it or hate it and nothing in between.

It is quite heady with white flowers like jasmine and orange blossom. I like those scents but sometimes they can be disgustingly sweet and cloying as a personal fragrance and Gres Cabotine is is certainly powerful. Actually though it seems to have a freshness and mellowness as it develops which makes it very appealing. I think it is quite grown-up, sexy and sophisticated, although that does make me wonder when I will wear it since that isn't how I would describe myself.

I think I might be tending towards the love camp.

Lakambini
Lakambini

What a beauty indeed. It comes across as a white floral that has the greenness of the perfumes in that old, grand tradition (I'm thinking of the Miss Diors (original), the Rive Gauches). As I sniffed I sensed a cold metallic tinge, a particular combination of notes perhaps, that reminded me of an aspect of Elizabeth Arden Splendor, a big floral bouquet . Then these top notes gave way to a lusher white floral in the Gaultier Fragile mode, but refined and ladylike. It is a classic scent, crisp and yet sensual, not the sort of thing that would appeal to a contemporary teenage girl. No trace of sugar or fruit, no unctuousness, no leather nor incense, not aquatic, but not grass-green either. Green and white and silver, or perhaps steel-gray, are the colors it evokes. I think of ladies in beautifully-tailored suits, ladies who wear gloves. I would think that this is Dior Tendre Poison's beautiful, discreet, experienced aunt. The spray is very fine -- an atomizer that produces atoms -- so the scent of Cabotine on me was not overwhelming: I wonder if it would become lusher and more jungly in tropical heat, as it does have that potential. After decanting a sample, I wiped my fingers on a dress hanging in my closet, a closet perfumed by a powerful, synthetic night-blooming jasmine Arabian potpourri. Two days later, I stuck my head in and thought, wow, that awful synthetic stuff smells gorgeous today. But I was wrong. It was the Cabotine, as strong as ever. Cabotine won.

MMC
MMC

Gosto do Cabotine,floral verde bem forte.Mas gosto do usar apenas uma borrifada na nuca,para não ficar sufocada.Tem uma fixação de 24hs,fica na roupa ,cabelos,travesseiros.Combina com verão,mesmo sendo bem marcante.A abertura é um pouco forte demais,mas quando seca fica bem fresco.

celebrity89
celebrity89

A vivid floral/soapy scent. Reminds me of YSL Original Paris and Original Beautiful (before the bland reformulation). If you've smelled Neem soaps of Asia, threre is a similarity there too. Very strong. Use sparingly in public.

ivi rose
ivi rose

This review is for the modern edt. This does not work for me at all. I never want to smell like this. It is so sweet smelling that it makes me sick. I don't want to smell it on anybody either. I am trying to use my blind buy as bathroom freshener. It has no soul or spirit, It's just "I'm white flowers that are sickening sweet right before dying: and that's it.

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

i've worn this in the past, i used to have a bottle and i revisited again after smelling it on my then classmate in my twenties. . It smelled lovely on her even though she was really young and so was I. I had to have it. Yes i can see how this could be taken as old lady because most mature ladies wear powdery, chypre type scents,HOWEVER, a lot of old ladies smell good and all old ladies do not wear these types. Perhaps YOUR grandmother wore it but that's the ONLY association that YOU have with it. I think a lot of people are afraid of losing their precious youth if they wear a fragrance. It should never really get that deep.

It's all mental really. You smell something and it reminds you of something. Ok you smelled it on an old lady once or twice, not enough to deem a fragrance "OLD LADY". I just dislike when people put a label on scents. I love this scent and it works for me, so if i like old lady scents, oh well LOL

cinema1974
cinema1974

My grandmother has this perfume and it smells really beautiful on her but she said she wears a lotion prior to applying. I sprayed it and my husband was like omg! it smells like your an old lady???? It smells like church? all the bad perfumes combine. I don't know but it smells very floral/green leafy for the top notes and the middle notes are powder old fashion talc? so powder is not a note my husband likes very much. There is a perfume called RUMI my grandmother has also and it smell way better than this with a powdery scent but light that i sprayed... yes would love to liked this because I think my grandmother smells good.

Krickard
Krickard

Holy Crap! This should come with a biohazard symbol on the box. It's incredibly tenacious stuff, it likely has the same half life as Selenium-82 (something like 130,000,000,000,000,000,000 years). If you like it, enjoy it in good health...for a long time.

giovanna9sg
giovanna9sg

I love Cabotine! The scent is fresh. green with a little hint of sweet but not too much. People always tell me how good I smell.
It is strong and can feel overwhelming in the beginning. Also very long lasting and this scent will follow you all day.
When I first spritzed, it smelled like fresh white flowers. About an hour and a half later, the scent evolved into a kind of spicy scent. It's mix of floral and spicey. Love it!!

cecfor
cecfor

Blind bought this because I like dior tendre poison. I've promised myself never to blind buy. But really, what is there to do when you cannot find it anywhere to test? Ok, smelled from the cap there is a resemblance. It stops there. First time I took one spray. Big mistake. Hiding in that bottle in the bright green juice was a monster. Like TP's very angry and obnoxious sister. On my skin they are very different. This one I need to handle with care. Next time I applied a tiny amount. Now that was more like it. A little angry still at the beginning but soon calmed down nicely. I think we will get along just fine.

cincobayou
cincobayou

I have been using Cabotine on and off since the 1990's...must have bought 3 bottles since back then. It is a sweet green fragrance...fresh...then dries down to soft flowers; it is a cheerful fragrance and will last 6 hours + on me. Many other fragrances do not stay with me much longer than 4 hours or so....even expensive ones.
How nice to put this one on when I am in my green mood and be happy all day.
I have many different perfumes and usually wear something different each day; but I keep going back to Cabotine at least twice a month.
It is a soft green, not harsh....and it lasts. How wonderful that it is not expensive!

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

Very sharp and strong when you first put it on. Smells almost acidic, like very old flower petals with a sharp soaring note in the middle. Very "green" scented, high and almost sour, bitter top note.

HOWEVER, the dry down is lovely. It smells of white flowers with a hint of sweetness, but not candy, more carnation. It also smells very expensive but I got 30ml for less than nine pounds.

My tip is don't put it on just before you leave the house, do it about half an hour before you go. that way, you can wear it day or night. The longer you wear it, the better it smells. I LIKE.

Justinjade
Justinjade

The lobby lounge crew at Shangrila Hotel Singapore where a sang professionally several years gave me this as a gift for my birthday. Although I was very ecstatic to receive another perfume as a gift (self-confessed perfume-freak/addict) I did not quite like the scent at all. I found it boring and did not agree with my body-chemistry. In fact, I can not recall the scent at all, I had to open the unused bottle to remind me of the scent and of how disappointed I was.

However, fast forward to today, my teenager daughter found this in a perfume store shelf and she gushed about how "splendid" it smells. Well, I guess, we all really have different 'noses'... When she learned I still have an unused bottle in my drawers, she was quick to say "mine now"! Surprisingly, the scent did not change at all after all those years of being tucked inside a drawer without a second glance. tehee!

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

Quite a sharp scent, as well as VERY STRONG. A light hand needed to apply. I'm having a very hard time picking apart the notes, but, first greens then florals/fruits. I do smell something kind of licorice though which I like a lot. On my testing day I put this on early afternoon, I smelled the scent the next morning. Thats serious lasting power right there!

There's also a soapiness to this scent that I find I really like. Smells expensive. Considering it was a 14 dollar bottle, I'm happy with that fact.

On my testing day it was quite humid and this worked wonderfully on 2 sprays.

I see this as a love/hate perfume. Some will absolutely hate it, others not so much, but it will come down to skin chemistry. Myself, I'm in the like/love camp. This bottle will take me forever to get through!

HeidiLynn

I let my son (aged 11) smell my perfumes and pick one for me to wear. His comment on this one: "the top looks like broccoli! Good thing it doesn't smell like it"!! I'm glad too--a nice spring/summer fragrance, as close to a white floral as I can do.

jadegreyhounds
jadegreyhounds

This perfume to me is a very "high" floral. I smell the jasmine/tuberose/ylang ylang. I love it and find it intoxicating; with that said, I can see how it might bother others. If you like Chanel Number 5, this is a cheap similar scent. Strong at first, after a couple hours I want to apply more, but don't want that initial strong punch. All-in-all, I love it, just wish it was more "stable" in it's strenghth if that makes sense?

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

Just found a 1.6 oz bottle at Marshalls for $13 ! On me this is spearamint and greens, but on my sister ---MAGIC. This is good cheer and springtime essence in a bottle. If you love this ( or want to) Run ,do not walk, to your nearest Marshalls. They still had a number of bottles as of late August 2012. Thanks for all the helpful reviews, friends! Hint- I asked about returns and was told that as long as I kept the plastic wrapping, box, and receipt, there would no problem. And, they added, so long as I hadn't used half the bottle!

laura.linger.3
laura.linger.3

Oh, my beautiful Cabotine, making the world a prettier place just by being in it. Every time I buy a bottle of you for a song at TJ Maxx, I giggle like I have stumbled upon a secret. A well-kept secret, that only a few of us share. Such a well-composed, well-structured perfume, with lasting sillage and complex notes, for so relatively cheap? Surely there must be some mistake. Surely I will never speak up about it, my beloved Cabotine. I would pay three times the price I usually pay for the privilege of wearing you, but in the meantime, let's keep our mouths shut and our necks and wrists fragranced with your wonderful juice, shall we?

Scored a 3 ounce bottle EDT with an 8 ounce bottle of perfumed lotion as a kit last night at TJ Maxx: $19.99

heatherine
heatherine

I am a huge fan of Cabotine Rose, and Cabotine is her older, more sophisticated sister. Whereas Rose is just that, Rose, Cabotine is a thousand different notes wound around each other. This by all rational deduction ought to be a disastrous concoction, so many heavy hitting notes all piled on top of each other. Yet the result is a beautiful fragrance, with complimentary--not competing--notes and is not for the sugar-hearted. If you are a person who enjoys woody, green, spicy florals, who walks with confident shoulders and who wears fragrance to please yourself - definitely give this powerfully feminine juice a go. If you enjoy something different yet vaguely familiar, give this a go. If you want to turn heads, give this a go. If you enjoy bubbly scents with a lot of sugar, fruit and baby powder, walk with curved shoulders and giggle through your fingers a lot, perhaps you should pass this by. I do believe this lovely chypre can be appreciated by all but the very most simple tastes. Cabotine is not something I would wear every day, but it definitely deserves a place in my wardrobe.

orestes
orestes

Wonderful,excellent fragrance! I buy it to my wife since 1996,i love this scent! After those years never reformulated obviously.

kiskionok
kiskionok

I LOVE this wonderful, universal and rich fragrance. You can spray it on in any situation, any time of year - and you get lots of compliments! It has no "heaviness" so characteristic to other floral chypres.

Sabrina_A
Sabrina_A

This perfume reminds me of my beloved Dior's Poison Tendre . Unfortunately , they don't sell it here in Sweden anymore and I got the tip about testing this perfume (Gres Cabotine).

It is really affordable (100 ml costs only 20 Euros/29 Dollars and I recommend it highly , but it doesn't last to long on my skin . Maybe it depends on me , I do not know . But it's still really good .

Buy it !
If you really love Poison Tendre , you will definitely adore Gres Cabotine.

aroma77
aroma77

Is 62 euro for a 100ml EDT bottle considered cheap? Not in my country anyway...

That said, this is a great perfume! Fresh and sweet at the same time.Just bought mine yesterday. Brings back good memories...

VanillaTabbyCat1963

Driving toward south county on business, I stopped at T.J. Maxx to find a bottle of Cabotine for 13 dollars, so I gathered my pennies and off I went, not before liberally spritzing myself.
Well, I have owned this bottle for all of two days and I am growing more and more obsessed with Cabotine!! This is a sparkling, jubilant magic potion of a fragrance.I just love the opening: fresh cut hyacynth entwined with frisky ginger, supported by sunshiney citrus and white florals. What I love is that Cabotine is both sharp and dry AND sweet and syrupy at the same time. With this contrast of personalities playing off each other, you never get bored. I am thrilled with how Cabotine morphs through the course of the day into a powdery, clean soapy scent that makes one smell as if they just stepped out af the bath.
I am very surprised that this gem is so inexpensive-and virtually unknown by many given its gorgeous scent and longevity. Another gem from the house of Gres!!

Ponyfields
Ponyfields

I don't think this agrees with my chemistry. Initial spray was so sharp I sneezed, followed by about 30 minutes of "old people's perfume" and toilet freshener. I popped a bit more on, and waited. It's settled into a cleaner scent, but still has a mothball-y vibe to it.
Great staying power, but I wouldn't wear this in public. Can't even pass it to my mum to try in good conscience; she's far to young to be wearing eau de old person.

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

This is very powerful fresh beauty. Strong and long lasting summer fragrance.
It opens VERY sharp green, but later it evolves in a VERY nice fresh floral scent... a special scent which is normally pleasing to most of people.
I always get compliments when I wear it.

When I read reviews down here, I wasn't surprised about polarised opinions because Cabotine is a special perfume.... especially if we compare it with some light now-days fashion fragrances.
Cabotine is double-face fragrance ... it's very sharp (almost unpleasant) at the begining and I believe that's the reason why some people don't like it all... Those who select and evaluate the perfume according to the very first few minutes after spraying will be dissapointed about Cabotine!
I came to the conclusion, that Cabotine requires generous applying (even if it's very strong at the beginning) and the second requirement is patience to let it evolving. . It worth to wait because you will get fantastic floral fresh beauty.

All in all, I love it.

rougetnoir
rougetnoir

I really love Cabotine.
I blindly bought it after reading posivie reviews and I've never regret it!
It's a fresh perume but it's strong too and that's the reason why I really love it. I'm wearing it today, in a hot and humid sunny day of summer in Italy.
well, cabotine it's PERFECT in summer. I would re-spray it but it's not necessary!!! I can smell it after hours...and the bottle, oh it's so cute and vintage!
my version is edt

HeidiLynn

Bought this as it kept coming up as a perfume that I might like, based on other reviews. It is very "green"--not grassy or bitter, not quite melon-like, but like rain. I definitely smell the lily, to me it smells a little like lily of the valley, although that's not the lily included. It doesn't last long on me, and does start out really, really sweet smelling--if you base your opinion on how it smells just in the bottle, you will be decieved. To me, it works well as a summer fragrance; very light and very floral, fresh and green.

Abby1970
Abby1970

When I first sprayed this on it smelt green! Really green like fresh cut grass and then after about 40 – 60 seconds the flowers pop up. All sorts of summertime flowers! I can smell tulips and lilies and yes, a little bit of hyacinth. Although the hyacinth is not quite as strong as in Anais Anais. After a couple of hours though, this sent begins to change. It starts to take on a slightly more powdery, sultry smell. Still floral but what started out as an innocent, dewy fresh summer smell, starts to evolve into a more exotic, deep, rich, sultry and very sexy floral. I bought the eau de toilette, it’s very rare that I bother with eau de toilettes if there is a eau de perfume or perfume extract version available because I think most eau de toilettes just don’t last very long and the several sprays required throughout the day negates any savings in price, however, the lasting power and silage of this scent is way above average for an eau de toilette. I will however be purchasing the eau de perfume when I find it because I do truly love the smell of this and if the eau de toilette performs this well, the eau de perfume must be a bomb! This perfume is a true work of art.

Longevity - 5-7 hours
Silage - 3 feet for about 3- 4 hours and then about 12 - 14 inches for 2 hours. Close to the skin for about another hour after that, possibly longer.
No need to take the perfume bottle to work for touch ups unless you're going out straight after work and want to spritz an evenin touch up.

ann.sundwall
ann.sundwall

This didn't turn out the way I hoped. I didn't get any clear florals...just turpenoids. For me Cabotine has high notes that are vaguely antiseptic, like Dettol or Listerine. Which makes sense, since ginger contains turpenoids. Yet I don't doubt that others are having a much different and better sensory experience. I can sense the quality, but I just don't feel it. I can tell that it has good duration and pleasant sillage...but....It is like meeting a very handsome man whose artistic work you greatly admire and suddenly realising that, in person, he just doesn't do much for you. Pity.

NYCTiffany
NYCTiffany

This is a STRONG Perfume, I mean my bottle has lasted 2 years and it looks like i barely used it. I only use a tiny bit. The bottle is cute. Its a okay perfume, Its not my favorite but its good for night time wear and its very classy. With my body chemistry i get a after scent that i kinda dont like, it leaves a chemical kinda smell that fades after a while. I think this is a perfume worth trying, especially for women 21 and up who have a nice night time event to go to.

brigittehiroshi
brigittehiroshi

I was just trying different perfumes for men in a shop when I saw this bottle and I tried it. I liked the first smell, and I quickly looked at the price tag. It was quite cheap. I went smelling on and I liked it more and more.

This perfume reminded me immediately a woman walking in a small village very early in the morning. This fragrance evokes me many sweet good memories in a French village.

This is not a modern or complicated urban perfume. This is a simple perfume (in the best sense of the word) a honest and transparent fragrance.

Any woman wearing this perfume projects an image of sincerity, joy of life, naturality, simplicity (again in the best sense) and a determined and optimistic personality.

A perfume that has an excellent projection (gentle but firm) and a very good longevity and sillage. Decididely a very feminine fragrance that every woman should try.

gracious
gracious

I like Cabotine.
Is a soft cyprus floral, with good length and suitable for use principally in the days of spring and autumn.
It is a fragrance plain or pretensions, but honestly, not trying to be a perfume "must".
Moreover, the price is good

WhiteCity
WhiteCity

My best friend in university wore it...so I remember it as a lovely perfume!

It is not sharp as many people have mentioned,I would better describe it as a "loud" perfume.When you wear it you cannot pass unnoticed.So,be careful with the amount you use.

It is green but not in a sour way.Its floral but not single dimentioned.It has depth.ITS FRESH BUT NOT LIGHT, which makes it unique.

I dont think it suits all personalities though.
I think its for serious ladies (with no age limit) but who face life with joy and humor!

paleface
paleface

This is music in a bottle - an absolutely charming, complicated but harmonic fuga played by a string quartet at church in the warm, early spring-evening. The sun is still shining but already softly; light is pouring in from windows and you can smell flowers in the altar. The door is left open, and breeze brings wafts from outside: natural flowers, blooming trees, some green bushes.

Those moments are perfect. You don't long for anything, you are happy to sit there and just listen. Afterwards, at home, you still can recall everything, and your mind is in peace.

If I had a signature scent, one good candidate would be Cabotine. It is complex but not affected, green but not bitter, rich but never sugary. A masterpiece.

Fragrantnatic
Fragrantnatic

I read so many nice reviews here about this perfume, and they all say that it smelled so much like Dior's Poison Tendre, and suddenly, memories flooded back to me... I missed Poison Tendre' !!, it was a perfume I wore back in the 90's which happened to just disappeared in the market.. Tendre', to me is the special one.. But Cabotine is not so bad. In fact I really liked it, but will use it only sparingly.

ohwellok
ohwellok

Found this randomly on the shelves at a discount store, what drew me to it was the beautiful box. Definitely influenced by the 90’s it was too adorable not to be brought home with me. Upon opening I was not disappointed. Not only was the bottle just as lovely as the box, the scent is too. I was surprised at the strength; a single spritz lasts me all day. Any more than that and I start to feel as if anyone within a 50 yard radius can smell me coming IMO. It is both warm and spicy while still remaining florally feminine. I do not find this to be so much a “green” scent though, the warmth drowns that out a bit. All in all this bottle was a steal, I would buy it again in a heartbeat!

The_Entity
The_Entity

I havent worn this since childhood, Id been trying to find it since. I remembered what the bottle looked like, but could not remember the name. Still as beautiful as when I last wore it, that pretty, luminous floral. A spring, daytime frag. Although I like, I still say Cabochard is my best Gres frag.

1maryjodir
1maryjodir

I just received this perfume "Cabotine" from a very special friend of mine. I have never seen, Heard or had smelled this perfume before. And I just LOVE it !I think that she has just found my signiture perfume for me! Thank you so much Deb and Lady C! I feel and smell so pretty!!!

melozberk
melozberk

It certainly is a classic of 90's, was so hip those a days. Not my style but I have always appreciated how it was perfectly combined with so reach ingredients, yet fresh like morning dew. I really feel the sincerity and the passion in creating it. I think will always be a classic.

seagreen55
seagreen55

Like so many others, I love 'green' scents. I really wanted to like this one, but I'm not the only one who feels the way I do. This is not one I could ever wear. Maybe as a room deodorizer, but that's it. I could never get past the initial smell because it burned my nose and sinuses! Way too much of something for me, so others can enjoy it for me, elsewhere....

Razzamatazz
Razzamatazz

Memories!My mother used to wear cabotine,so when i was five maybe six, used to sneak in the bathroom before she was home from work and spray quite an amount of it on. Then when she would come home the whole house smelled of cabotine and i would walk around as if i hadn't done anything while actually was soaked in perfume..This scent really suited me perfectly back then and will be always on my mind as the six year old version of me; young,energetic,fresh,playful but also mischevious and untamed. A sharp coquette and a somewhat stubborn little lady.

petronella
petronella

I'm a long time user of this fragrance. i got one of the first bottels when it came out, some 20 years ago, and I recently picked up a big EDT at a good price. I,ve gotten compliments on this. Used the EdP which I think is a little less sharp. waer it when working out.

nananessa
nananessa

I found 3 bottles of this today at TJ Maxx that were marked down to $7 each because the plastic wrap around the box was torn on a corner of the box---on each one in the same place! Needless to say, I bought all 3.

I love this fragrance!!! I am enjoying it now as I've had it on for several hours... more to come later.

12-23-12 Edit Update: OK! OK! Luca Turin has a low opinion of Cabotine. I don't care! I love this bright fragrance because it makes me feel it's cheerfulness, gaiety & childlike transparent playfulness. It was my "go to" bottle this past summer more than any other. Sometimes I just want a fragrance to be single, even soliflores & linears. I like a smorgasbord of scents.
What can I say? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

mchell4
mchell4

Got this Eau de toilette this morning and I love it , has to be the best ive had! I used to wear Tendre poison and this smells just like it.I have to spray a fair bit on as I like my perfumes strong, so next time il get the parfume, and I will be buying this again. the price £16 with delivery, from one online site is such a bargain!Its so fresh a very summery perfume. has citrus notes but not too many and kind of a fresh musky smell its just such a must have perfume. not very florally and very sexy!

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

The House of Gres gave us Cabochard and the Cabotine range is -supposed- to be a younger, lighter version of this classic, a "daughter". Well, not to me:

The 'Green' Cabotine I own is a very fresh, classy yet playful scent in its own right without any comparisons I could draw to Cabochard.
It's flowery - instead of smokey. Cheery - instead of solemn. Medium light - instead of heavy.
Its florals have a greenish tone, not grass but fresh. The dominant notes to my nose are clearly the tuberose and hyacinth. (I could swear it has Lily of the Valley - although it's not listed. I assume I smell the ginger-lily, wonderful!)
From the base-notes I can only detect the tonka bean. In fact, it doesn't smell as complicated as the ingredients above would suggest. It reminds me a bit of a much more lively "Soir De Paris". The staying-power is wonderful, this one lasts and lasts. I think one can wear this whenever and wherever one likes because it has a very pleasant vintage smell that is uncomplicated.
However, you might want to spray with a light hand, it's easily over applied and might give headaches. If used 'wisely' it's another winner from Gres.
This was my first encounter with a member of the Gres Cabotine range, but I'm looking forward to sniffing more!

::update:: I got a chance to smell Tendre Poison and can confirm: It's VERY similar to Cabotine! Amazingly so.

Pari88
Pari88

lol to Lumiere's review. I agree 100%! I just received this as I was looking for a cheaper alternative to the extremely hard to find and EXPENSIVE original version of Dior Tendre. This is just Lovely and Lady like. And it DOES smell like Tendre! It is not an exact copy, it is slightly more spicy, but ever so slightly, yet it has the same eternal feminine feel that Tendre offers to its "sniffers". It reminds me of images of Gaia,the eternal "mother", feminine, Yang. I like all sorts of scents and do not discriminate against any note, so take my review seriously. This is a scent that when smelled you would automatically feel and think "feminine". It is in no way unisex in my opinion, and in no way leaning towards flower, fruit, or food; it is essentially an earthy Nature scent, slightly sweet on the drydown, like sudden winds carrying the smell of fruit fields. Really lovely stuff. It is CHYPRE and UNIQUE, yet familiar, like you have met in a distant past, in another life...just as my beloved Tendre. Blended wonderfully, just as Tendre, you can't tell notes apart.
A great alternative to Tendre, or you can always have both ;-)
Chypre Green

Lumiere

First of all it IS one lasting perfume, epecially for the fresh green scent. It can be intoxicating for the first several minutes, but it settles on skin and lasts and lasts. It is one of those perfumes that u can see wearing women to church, young ladies for dinner date (and ladies are ALWAYS young) and teenagers. Everyone says it smells French-read, classy and elegant. I can imagine it would be liked in Middle east, becaue of it's longevity, sharp delicate nature and white flowers.

I do smell hyacinth a lot, it is refreshing, strong and flowery but not cloying or sweet, rather sharp, bit bitter and dignified. You should bow to a woman wearing this before approaching, rather than come and lick her shoulder like sime gourmand scents suggest.

I thought I disliked Cabotine. That's because I was only ever smelling the current version at the department store. I always thought it was a weird green soapy scent, not the worst thing I ever smelled but nothing great. Then I tried a vintage mini. Wow! Is it even the same perfume? I now understand the differing reviews. This vintage stuff is sublime! To me it still has a green smell, but the original is fresh, slightly floral, and simply intoxicating. I'm disappointed that I discovered this too late to have enjoyed it while it was still so lovely.

queops
queops

The green version of paris ysl ...classical flowers of roses and ylang-ylang ... with green notes of hyacinth and balsamic heliotrope. Clear and evident.

Pelinsu16
Pelinsu16

Cabotine is one of my favorite fragrance. Everybody say cabotine is long lasting but after one hour I splash it, ı can not smell anyting.Anyhow, its a magnificent scent.

DeboraD
DeboraD

I have been using Cabotine for years now and it has become my signature scent year round. I get countles comments on it and it seems to last long into the evening after applying it in the early morning. But with my last bottle I noticed a change in scent. Why ruin a good thing?

isabella.fr.83
isabella.fr.83

I really don't understant why this one comes so cheap now. I bought it when it cam out and went through several bottles. and it was as expensive as any other well made perfume.
wearing Cabotine made me fell like my feet barely touched the ground. So fresh and light yet it has a great sillage. a summer perfume though. I may wear it again next summer

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I gave Country Chic, Alien, and CK Shock for Her second (and third) tries today, but Cabotine was the first thing I tried, and remains the only scent that I genuinely liked. Call me a contrarian, but this does not deserve the label "nasty floral." It doesn't deserve accolades, either, but almost nothing does. Cabotine's fresh ginger and hyacinth opening is made a bit odd by fatty aldehydes, which seem to illuminate and aerate its denser floral drydown. The initial burst of Chinese-style ginger is particularly bright and clean. Hints of hyacinth linger as the ylang-ylang, jasmine, rose, and lily notes build in intensity, resulting in a pretty floral that is mercifully light on fruity calone. There are stages in Cabotine where the scent veers away from fine fragrance and into room-freshener territory, but this is a $16 perfume, after all. What saves it for me is its sheer jasmine and rose notes, which seem to presage the aquatic jasmine in Calice Becker's Tommy Girl. One might call this scent a happily "trashy green" scent for spring time. Most green fragrances are bitter and serious (see No.19 and Silences for that kind), but Gres opted for a neon blend of chartreuse and hot pink when they made this one. Cabotine is quite nice, and I see a bottle in my future.

I had Dior Tendre Poison for my favourite for many years. Cabotine EdP reminds me alot of Tendre Poison. Cabotine - on my skin - is a bit darker and deeper, a little more attitude and more intensive than Tendre Posion. I love this one. No sweet flowers - more adult and dry flowernotes, absolutely wonderful! For a grown-up woman. Use with care, 1 spray makes u smell fantaboulous for many hours, 2-3 spray's makes this one turn thick, heavy and overwhelming.

Jag har haft Dior Tendre poison som favoritdoft i många år. Cabotine EdP påminner mycket om Tendre Poison,Cabotine är- på min hud- lite mörkare, lite djupare, lite mer attityd och mer intensiv än Tendre Poison. Älskar den! Inga söta blomnoter, mera vuxna torra blomnoter. Spreja på lite - gör att du doftar underbart i många timmar - spreja på för mycket och den blir tung och kvalmig.

In Vogue
In Vogue

At first, this smells like the classic incense one buys in Indian export stores, with that rosy potpourri kind of scent. That's all I smell on me at first, then it fades and I get the aldehydes, a "fresh" smell that reminds me of outdoor swimming pools, surrounded by plants and moss. It also reminds me of the fresh smell in a room after you've just burned incense. This scent reminds me of the 70's, for some reason, even though it was made in the 90's.

moynah
moynah

Cabotine De Gres waltzed into my life in 1993, and what a dance it was. Only the original De Gres out then, the first, the best. With what looked like a green brain shape, for a cap. At the time I was going through a 'green floral phase' - my other perfume at the time was Blue Grass. As soon as I smelled this, The rest of my greens were forgotten about. It smells, in my opinion, like no other.

Sure thing at first it created nose confusion, Like putting sherbet in your mouth BAM -- then the sweet notes come through and you think Oh, its actually really nice, not as chemical as it 'looks' (green bubbling test tubes of Dr Jekyll come to mind)

One can tell if a perfume is a HIT as along comes a succession of 'twists' on the theme, (rose, fleur, moonflower, blah blah) which is a shame, because it simply detracts from the exclusivity of the original, cheapening it a little.

However, this is the only time I will use the word 'cheap' -- It is not! Im absolutely not going to try any 'twists' because I simply want to stay faithful to the original! It truly deserves a faithful girl, and its massively under-rated as a scent.

Its lovely to actually be able to experience 'whiffs' of the scent now and again throughout the day, reasurring the wearer that its there, its still sizzling on the wrists or cleavage, doing its thing. Yes, just the one A.M spray lingers and is heavenly all day.

For me, its up there with the Giorgio BH & Chanel No5's, and of course the $$ lower because the celebrities havent got their greedy claws on it & poisioned it with silly shallow publicity YAAYYYY XXX

Migalex
Migalex

I think some people despise this perfume because it is cheap, but when it was launched and for many years, it was as expensive as most of the more expensive perfumes out there. This change in the price is a consequence of who owns the company,a less glamorous one or a more glamorous and trendy fashion brand, and of marketing policy, and it is nothing to do with quality, as this shows. I do not think it is the best perfume in the world but I do think that it is very good, and a true piece of perfumery art and technique. As many good perfumes, it improves with time. It is sharp at the beginning but it leaves around you a marvellous natural fresh aura the rest of the whole day. Projection and longevity are very good. Longevity is actually truly amazing. The major proof of its quality is that it does sell a lot with no advertising, and that is for sure another factor which impacts on its low price. The main notes seem to me ginger, hyacinth, carnation, orange blossom and vetyver. I find it quite unissex, but I do not mean by that that it smells like a masculine perfume, because it does not. I am not very fond of orange blossom scent and that is the only minus side of it to me, but that is a matter of personal taste. On the other hand, I love the ginger and the hyacinth. As I said, it may not be the best perfume in the world, but it is much but much better than most of the many ones which sell for three or four times its price only because of their labels and expensive advertising campaigns.

alchimia72

What can I say about it? A masterpiece if you love floral. It's classic. Long lasting. And as a sign of its majesty a lovely bottle!

I have such a strange relationship with Cabotine. The first time I smelled it, I was horrified. It went straight to my sinuses and smelled very harsh and weedy. Some days I really can't tolerate it. Over time, I grew to appreciate and enjoy it. It's certainly green. It's a dry, rosy potpourri with the slightest hint of currants. It makes me think of the gummy grass in the Charley and the Chocolate Factory movie. I like it in warm weather, but I think it also works wonders in the rain. A light mist all over the body has a very different effect than strong sprays concentrated on pulse points. There aren't any notes in Cabotine that really stand out to me. It's one big, hot, green mess, but one that I've come to admire for being extremely unique. I discover something new about it, some unexplored facet, each time I wear it.

quintaesencia
quintaesencia

I'm glad I tested this before buying; I usually can find something to like in a fragrance, but this is indeed pure bug spray/room deodorizer. As a fan of green scents, I really wanted to like this, but it is packed with artificial notes and dried down to a harsh, Pine-Sol smell on me. Would rather spray myself with BBW modest but honest Basil-Citrus colognes than something pretending to be French.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

Cabotine is really green at first spray---almost sharp, aldehydic green. Next comes a fanfare of florals, followed by civet, musk, and a touch of fruitiness. Having never smelt ginger lily in real life, I'll have to take their word that ginger lily is the dominant floral note...it's gingery, it's floral, no argument there. Once fully dried down, it becomes a touch creamier from the tonka, presumably. It does seem like the bulk of elements in this are mostly synthetic, and presumably what natural components are in this are synthetically bolstered. Given the price point, this is not surprising. Despite the synthetic leaning composition, I like it overall. It does not give me a headache nor turn my stomach in the way certain other synth-heavy florals do. It smells to me a bit retro, though not at all in a bad way. Definitely wearable, undoubtedly a bargain; and though it may be heresy to say so, I find Cabotine a more contemporary and more wearable green or aldehyde floral than some of the classics in that genre, such as some of the Chanel line, although the quality may not be equal point for point. Sillage is moderate and duration fair to good.
Edit later today: Goes completely soapy after some hours (about 4) have passed...re-applying will fix this but i want it gone before i wake up. Still, overall, not half bad given the pricing.

BlueMoonRose
BlueMoonRose

Love it. Especially in the srping and summer, it gives me energy and wakes me up! Great fragrance. :)

Belil
Belil

Boy oh boy! You'd never believe me, but this perfume is the one for me that attracts the most compliments from both sexes.
The key to using it for me (as with many oher classic scents with big number of notes) is to walk naked in a very light mist of this perfume, then wait for a several minutes before dressing, in order to not rub the molecules against your skin till fully absorbed and try not to go out for up to 1 hour till it will completely settles on your skin. I even pulled it off in an extremely hot weather, and every time I get remarks on how nicely (and sexy) I smell, and this is expressed by people who hate womanity or john galliano on me (wich are one of my top favourites) So I guess I must be lucky for the right chemistry.
The smell That I percieve on my skin myself is very green and yet sweet, very warm, and a little bit dirty (god, I love civet on my skin)
Truly a gem!

missymary
missymary

Cabotine comes very cheap and so it deserves to be. It's got all the characteristics of a drug store scent, it's screechy and fades quickly.

I was hoping that it was a classic chypre that had gone out of fashion, but no, it's just a a soapy sharp green which I would call an "after bath". It's not horrible but don't expect the quality of Y or O de Lancome.

Maybe keep the small bottle in your handbag for a spritz of freshness on a hot day, but "must have" perfume it ain't. And I found that it was not a bargain but a waste of money, because I always bypass it for one of my "good" classy greens.

Aurora892
Aurora892

Gres Cabotine is very green, sweet but not sickly fresh but, not too airy and light. It’s not the strongest fragrance but I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily weak. I think that this fragrance is a fun fragrance; it speaks of adolescence, wavering commitment, opportunity, hope, aspiration, innocence and mischief. Thus, it is not surprising that the advert for this depicts a woman who is smiling, whilst balancing the perfume on her nose. On me this perfume smells slightly sweet and slightly green but peachy. It does not change in smell over time, being always alive and sparkling with intensity. I like this very much, it is a scent I always come back to.

Pierina
Pierina

Just blind purchased.
Deffinately green and grassy. retro and not cheap smelling (cheap price though)
I am getting lots and lots of green accords with whispers of the ginger. Where the hell are the aldehydes in the composition list, I am really getting lots of aldehyde nots..
This really reminds me of Sung by Alfred Sung and Christalle by Chanel. I own the former and wanted the latter but think I wont bother now, the drydown on the Cabotine is better, it stays true. Thus far notes have travelled not disappeared alltogether..
I am super impressed with the quality of this one.
I also really like the presentation of the fume, nice box and bottle. also when you spray the mist is super fine and spreads really nicely. (just hate when perfume squirts on and tries to run down my skin)
I dont think this is a perfume for fans of soft and gentle. Also this is one I will wear for myself not for others.
I think if I tried this a few years ago I would hate it but now I have truly begun my perfume journey and think I am more able to appreciate and wear (with confidence) a fragrance this bold.
EDIT...
I thought this would be a 'for me' scent but its 'for him too' My Hubby ADORES this. every time I wear it he comments.. "why do you always smell so good?".. "gee you smell nice!" :)

Małgoś
Małgoś

It took me some time to start appreciating this perfume. At first it kind of hits you with very strong floral notes, of a kind which I used to, in the beginning, describe as post-menopausal.

However, I gave it another try after a few days, and discovered that it needs to really settle on the skin, before the middle notes develop into a very pleasant and warm smell - green, dry but with a little of warmth. Definitely floral with plum! But not sweet and never kitschy.

I guess - because this is such a peculiar perfume, and with strong character - it must fit your skin chemistry really well. It should be applied carefully, as it can be overwhelming, and may give you a headache.

Since the time when I sprayed it first and then put it back in its original box, wondering what to do wit this now, I have grown to actually love Cabotine :)

P.S. I actually cannot understand why it has been classified as chypre here?
Cabotine is very ...woodsy, and green, and floral.

ccj36
ccj36

I bought Cabotine without having smelled it. The two strongest notes I get are the ylang-ylang and the ginger lily. The initial spray is harsh to me, but the drydown is MUCH nicer. I don't wear this one often, but I can't seem to part with it.

This is one of those scents that is so much better when applied very sparingly---meaning, one spray, then dabbing your fingers in that one spray to distribute to other pulse points. That is the only way I can wear Cabotine. (Amarige by Givenchy is another one that I have to wear this way)

I think Cabotine is best suited for warm weather and for ladies who really like florals.

Aubynik
Aubynik

This scent is so refreshing and energizing!

In the first 10 minutes all I can smell is a green, grassy sharpness.

But then the floral notes and the ginger come.
The ginger keeps it from smelling too floral and lends a subtle spiciness to balance out the brashness of the green notes.

I really like this one because it smells like nothing else. Sillage and lasting power is amazing in the EDT... don't believe I need to step up to the EDP.

I truly adore this one. It makes me feel fresh and lady like.

P.S. Test before you buy. This has got to work along with your chemistry; otherwise, it is a disaster.

Tartangirl
Tartangirl

This is soooo nice ! I don't get ginger just a bunch of flowers once it dries down. Very soft and long lasting. You have to try it !

Bluekey
Bluekey

Here is the main issue I have with Cabotine (and perhaps Grès perfumes in general...).

You will surely be repulsed by the first sniff or spritz: it's strong, like you would expect a vintage perfume to smell.

But as soon as it settles down on your skin, it reminds you of "Paris" by Yves Saint Laurent.
So it's a very rosy, very floral scent. A little bit more powdery than "Paris".

Then it dries down to a delicate soapy, still rosy smell.
EVERYTIME I wear it I get compliments and get asked what shower gel or soap I use, as it smells so clean.

Love it!

nicki317
nicki317

I tested this today. My son says this smells like grass clippings mixed with baby powder. It smelled very 80s to me. It seemed sharp and not sweet and greener than I had imagined from reading the other reviews. I had to pass on this one.

jasmasid
jasmasid

This should have been named "Sublime". I love it. Especially if you layer it with shower gel, then apply body lotion and then add a top layer of the eau de toilette with a dab of the actual pure perfume before you go out. Lasts for ages and always causes others to ask questions. I tend to leave them guessing as they name one expensive scent after another....

stella by starlight
stella by starlight

i liked it 15 years ago and i still do. this is not a shy pale girl. this chick has an attitude, painting her nails in green and smoking Gauloises.

Maeva
Maeva

Unfortunately, I need some time to appreciate this scent properly. I must wait for some 45 minutes for this unpleasant murky water effect to disappear. It's not a question of body chemistry, but of my perception of the fragrance, for I feel the same upon smelling it on paper, on my skin and from the bottle. But Mademoiselle Cabotine is well worth the wait. After almost an hour, she makes a dazzling peacock feather appearance and, contradictorily enough, she transforms into a much more natural, very energizing, sharp but delicate fresh green fragrance, full of summery sensuality. Then I finally see why this gem is associated with Chanel Cristalle. Yes, I also find this an ambivalent concoction. As some of you have said, this one seems to be many fragrances in one, and so the theatrical connotations in its name become more understandable... Thanks for the translation, moraine :)

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

At first this EdP is green, aldehydic, and amazingly strong, with a blast of sharp floral notes, but as it dries down it adds sweet fruitiness to the mix. Neither the flowers nor the fruits are identifiable in any way, except for being blatantly synthetic. This is not surprising given the huge mash-up of notes that are listed. Altogether, they combine to form something less than the sum of their parts, a seemingly simple green plastic flower.

The candied fruit takes the edge off of the florals and saves Cabotine from being an immediate scrubber. Needless to say, it far outstays its welcome, especially since it’s pretty much linear, so scrubbing is eventually in order when you can’t stand it any more or the next time you shower, whichever comes first.

I was surprised to read that this fragrance was launched in 1990. I thought it was much older. I remember getting a mini bottle of Cabotine in a coffret set many years ago, so it must have been right after it was launched. I didn’t like it at the time, so sent it to my mother. The current version smells pretty much as I remember the old version smelling - way too floral for my taste, so I still don’t like it. However, if you are a fan of strong florals, Cabotine certainly provides a lot of bang for the buck.

gesch
gesch

Sorry guys - but my nose tells me it's a very floral-green with a touch of regal and assured coldness. No chypre here to me...

Talia
Talia

This perfume is a tear jerking song for an ignorant, vulgar, nasty, cheep woman, who is anyway very beautiful, natural beauty. Than the story continue with her unhappy, unlucky, but interesting life…Somebody here wrote, that it is like 2 or 3 different perfumes together. Might be a nice cent, if they captivate it, the top notes are awful, and the middle and the base are ok, maybe, I am not sure.

mkmpoon
mkmpoon

Cabotine is a green aldehyde perfume with gingerlily, freesia and hyacinth notes standing out amongst others. A young and cheerful scent in an attractive bottle, most suitable for wearing in hot humid weather.

sofababe
sofababe

Today I am in a Cabotine mood. Most days I am not. Its early June and a its cold and wet day :-( I looked at my frags and thought "hmmmm.....what is suitable for this horrid day?" Cabotine!! Its loud, bright, dazzling almost. Today I love Cabotine. Tomorrow I will not.

moraine
moraine

The French word "cabotine" means theatrical and pretentious, or, as a noun, a mediocre artiste who believes her talent to be greater than it is. Even before I read this definition, I thought Cabotine was a scent of tragedy hidden under a brash and brazen facade.

I've never worn Cabotine - I'm scared of it, frankly - but in college I knew two young women who did. One was a tragic figure herself, outshone by her gorgeous sister and at the mercy of less-than-reliable men, but seemingly strong and irrepressible, an insecure party girl craving the status of a spoiled queen. Cabotine suited her perfectly. She received it as a gift from a male friend who smelled it and knew instantly that it was hers.

The other wearer was tall, voluptuous, and angelically beautiful, confident but quiet and ambitious. I could say that on her Cabotine was overpowering, but it was simply alien to her. When she wore it, I had the impression of two different people entering the room together, one loud but invisible and the other a little uncomfortable. Fortunately, she soon gave it up.

I think Cabotine is a work of art, but I don't want it. I don't want it even for sniffing. I want my perfumes to lift me up and carry me away to better places - Cabotine would leave me lying where I'd fallen.

I find this very 80s or early 90s again. Back then I might have worn it, but it is really strong. It's not as nauseating as Giorgio Beverly Hills yellow or Paloma Picasso but it goes in that direction. Not for this decade anymore, I would say.

mystica
mystica

My mum had a bottle of this when I was a teen. Thinking that mum's perfumes should be attractive enough to other people as well (as they were mum's anyway and she knows) I would always exploit this nearly every morning before I go to school.

I remember it as a very sharp, green, fresh fragrance with a killer sillage which would always made me uncomfortable if not directly causing a headache. Despite I disliked it, I insisted on wearing it as there were not so many alternatives. Only later on I became enough confident with myself to appreciate how different my taste was than mum's. Then thankfully, I was able to get my hands on my teenhood's signature scent, The Body Shop's *original* White Musk. I think that one was definitely a better choice for a young lady.

Lassie
Lassie

This looks so pretty, and it sounds so marvelous on paper, but I bought a little bottle at TJ Max unsniffed and was nearly knocked off my feet. It was so strong, sweet, and...on me....weird, I simply couldn't wear it and gave it away. I'm disappointed because it sounds like 'me', but my chemistry disagrees. Please, sample before buying.

romal
romal

Love it! I've been using it since it came out in 1990. I guess my body chemistry is perfect for this scent. I have received & I still receive compliments from men, women, and teenagers. I can only smell it on me in the morning when I spray myself, however people can still smell it on me late at night. I can smell it again in my car on my way back home. It makes me feel good to know that after a long day I still smell fresh. (:
Cabotine scent makes me feel happy, fresh, young, sexy, and very feminine! I would like to smell the newer frangances... especially Pastel & the summer one. They both seem to be a lighter version of the original which sounds great for the hot summer days.

judee
judee

Like this very much ... I bought it from online store for cca 13€ ... it's elegant, the kind of perfume that ladies wear, but certainly not as some say old smelling perfume.

I'm not good at separating one note from another, so I will just describe what comes to my mind when I wear this ... just mown lawn after summer rain with flower honey poured over it :-))) it's definitively a happy fragrance for me as I recall summertime at countryside in my childhood.

One of the few florals that I can really enjoy.

Tovah
Tovah

Cabotine is for me what Clinique Happy is for many others - the scent of energy and joy. I wanted to love any of the "Happys" because they smell fantastic, but when they're on my skin, they sour terribly and become sharp and headache inducing. Cabotine does exactly the opposite - when it mixes with my skin it releases the brightest, most uplifting fragrance I've ever tried. In general, my chemistry does well with chypres, but something about Cabotine seems to be made for me. Several years ago, I picked it up for really cheap at TJ Maxx, thinking that if I didn't like it, I could use it for an air freshener. It was a cold, rainy day, and I'd dragged myself into the store to buy socks for my kids. After shopping I got in the car, shredded the Cabotine box, and sprayed. It was like the sun blasted out of the sky, and my whole mood and energy level perked up, and it's still that way, every time I spray it. When wearing Cabotine, people often tell me I smell wonderful, and they're surprised when I tell them it's Cabotine. Everyone's heard of Cabotine, but it's often overlooked, because it's been around for many years, and it gets little press. For me, a wonderful scent that makes me feel good and smell good is even more wonderful when it's inexpensive and obscure!

Inspire0111
Inspire0111

Wow, this perfume has just about every possible note and then some. You would expect something extraordinary from such a complex composition. I find the scent kind of old-fashioned, very oriental and a bit harsh.

ticalica
ticalica

This perfume is long-lasting, smells good
It is of wet grass with pleasant spice

It is very green. I like it, but I know of a few who think that it smells archaic and uninspiring

greydove
greydove

Ha! This was one of my first ever perfumes! My grandmother gave it to me as a gift when I was 13 or 14. In those halcyon days I believed that I was into "green" notes and this was the perfect scent that replicated that for me. it was very grassy and leafy. I still like my greens! I would like to sniff this again :)

katherinahh
katherinahh

I got this perfume as a gift many years ago, and I really liked it, I remember mayself going fo a walk on summer days wearing it,...It´s happy!, very floral, and the bottle is so cute.

olga1780
olga1780

I had a very prolific day today in terms of sniffing a lot of fragrances that I didn't like, as it saved me from a lot of tragic blind purchases. Unfortunately, Cabotine was one of stinkers on my list. The first thing i got on my skin was exactly the same note that made me run for the hills from Passion. Whatever the hell it is, on me it smells like an old musty fur coat bought at the estate sale. And it didn't go away over time.
You take that note away, and it might be a pleasant green fragrance. No wonder it smells like 2-3 different perfumes sprayed at the same time.....the amount and the combination of notes looks pretty crazy to me.

vincy_gal
vincy_gal

Looking at the fragrance pyramid, this baby has just about everything but the kitchen sink!

I am still undecided on this one...and I fully agree that this is one crazy shape-shifter of a frag!!

xanman
xanman

Cabotine: let's discuss her opening; is she screechy? Yes! Does she at first smell synthetic? Yes! Does she make me turn away from her initial headache inducing fumes? Oh yes she does!! Upon her opening this one pretty darn repulsive perfume. Then she mellows, and oh, suddenly, I smell fresh cut green grass, whiffs of jasmine, tuberose appears, and here a touch of ginger then its gone. Innocence, hope, exuberance. My youth has returned! A warm day in spring to me, no, not summer. Summer is when most of God's creation has come to it's fruition. And fruition has an end.Both fruit and flower must be plucked unless they wither on on vine or stem. Spring does not concern itself that one day it will be super ceded by summer, and will therefore ,no longer exist Spring is a time of optimism, of immortality, the promise of goodness. This how I feel when I wear Cabotine, Yes,there is about ten minutes of torture, but it's worth the wait. Thankyou

lilinah
lilinah

I found an combo skin lotion / eau de toilette set at a big discount and snapped it up. I sprayed it on and thought of Tendre Poison - but where T.P. is overbearing and harsh on me, Cabotine is sweet, gentle and complex.

It is a lovely and atypical chypre! (and i am a fan of chypres). It opens with a green quality, yet is lightly sweet at the same time. There are some bright scents, as well, but never strong or sharp (as they are in Tendre Poison). The florals are complex but not overly powerful. This is a chypre that dips its toes into floral and woody, animalic and fruity, in all a thoughtful and well-balanced blend.

This is definitely a keeper, clearly a quality fragrance. It's a great scent for spring and summer, good for daytime, and for summer nights.

LLL3
LLL3

I'm delighted by this perfume. On me, it begins with heavy florals and nothing green or light. It ends in a musk-y cedar wood that is decidedly feminine and sophisticated. It is the longest lasting perfume I have ever tried and can't help but think this could be my signature fragrance.

Kiku
Kiku

Wow! What is it about Cabotine that is so polarizing? Everybody seems to smell something different in it. It must react strongly to body chemistry. To me, Cabotine is a simple little fragrance. It is green, lightly sweet, a bit herby, and fresh as a dewey morning. It's light and cool, perfect for summer. It's on my short list of "sultry days" scents.

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

Ahh, so wonderfull to take this on use after cold winter time. And put all Orientals and mixtures of orientals away now in short time ;)) This is huge green and fresh. Suitable on Spring time. Good for morning. Gives energy and good emotions. Light scent with strong nature. This is nice ;D

Chanelette
Chanelette

On my skin Cabotine smells very similar to Tendre Poison. It's just a bit lighter, and by lighter I don't mean only the opposite of heavy but also the opposite of dark. Tendre Poison appears a sort of dark to me, especially in the drydown. I guess it's the vanilla that makes the difference. Both Cabotine and TP are sassy and flirty. The difference between the two sassy girls is that while TP takes the flirt as a dangerous game, Cabotine thinks of it as innocent kind of fun.

PerfumeKeeper
PerfumeKeeper

How many lovers of Cabotine can relate to this:
It was my first perfume. I had worn soft colognes before and had been offered perfumes but this was the one I chose alone when I was thirteen years old. My mother bought it for me during a plane trip. My choice rested solely on the ad I had seen in a 1991 Marie Claire edition. It showed a short haired girl with a white cotton blouse and it stated "Le parfum presqu' inocent". I chose it with such enthusiasm when I recognized the bottle in the flight attendant's cart, as if I knew the smell of it already. Then asked my mother what the "presqu'inocent" ment, she said "almost innocent", or close to that. As for the scent, you may like it or dislike it but it doesn´t lie to you: it is a real floral, big on aldehydes but a powerful green! It is what it says it is. I can wear it after all these years (it changed the colour!!! but not the smell) and recently bought a gift set with EDT, mini edp, shower gel and lotion. It really was never the object of a strong campaign but the ads were alluring enough.

strong, green and dry. i love it on my skin. i smell like outdoors after a rain. on me, the floral notes are not big. it makes me feel shower fresh and clean.

mimosabee
mimosabee

We are used to heavy perfumes with chocolate-caramel-incense-vanilla and musky tones. This one is the best example of a heavy or perhaps a sharp perfume with floral invasion. So in that sense its a radical.

This was my mothers signature sign in her mid 30s. I personally love the feminine character in it. It also resembles Anais.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Bought a small sample from the UK (I'm in Oz) about 3 years ago and quite liked it, so bought a 50ml bottle. It lasts a long time 'cos you only need one squirt. I don't find it offensive but it seems to have generated VERY divided opinions. It's one I can reach in my drawer for any time, any mood, any season and feel it's an old friend.

havanadaydream
havanadaydream

Wow there must be something wrong with my nose because all I got was pure and I mean PURE Gardenia when I took a whiff out of curiousity at TJ Maxx. Very floral is an understatement. Not for me. I dont care for "green" perfumes though.

abirae
abirae

This may have been my very first perfume purchase, and I confess, I still like it very much.

It's big, green and humid, like the rainforest enclosure at the zoo.

If you visited Willy Wonka's world of candy, and reached down and picked one of his candy dandelions, snapped the stem, and let the nectar drip down, this is what it would smell like. A tiny drop is wonderful.

candymarie
candymarie

I blind-purchased this for a low price at a store. In short, it proves to me that body chemistry is EVERYTHING where fragrance is concerned, especially after reading some of the glowing and enthusiastic reviews below.

To my nose, it's not floral, it's not green, it's not woody and just doesn't smell like perfume. It is NOT for me, but when I donate it to my favorite charity-run thrift shop, I'll bet it finds a good home.

VKW
VKW

Far too loud, girly, sweet and cheerful for me - great bottle, even if my bottle has made a nice addition to the loo. But for actually wearng? Perfect if you are blonde, under 25, and sweetness personified.

DriHonne
DriHonne

I bought Cabotine unsnifed and was very pleased by the scent. I think it is similar to Poison Tendre. In my skin, Cabotine develops greener and flowery. Poison Tendre develops flowery and the drydown keeps the sweetness of vanilla and slightly woody. I love both, although Poison Tendre is really special for me.

the perfume collector
the perfume collector

its like the chanel 5 but more spicy. i can say that the ispiration is the the springs of the years between 1920-1940. classic and feminine

lialuvhatetragedy
lialuvhatetragedy

I love this frag! smells exactly like huge florals from the 90's. It really gives me the impression of cleanliness when wearing it. It also makes me imagining of myself walking at the middle of a garden on a hot-sunny day with a white dress on, the minute I spray it on myself. Pretty exhilarating I must say!
The staying power is great for an EDT, lasts up more than 5 hour on my skin.
And I like the bottle too, Very Cute!

tubita
tubita

this is a perfume absolutely not for young ladies. i had bought it with its lotion and shower gel. and finally after once used i gave it to my old friend.she loved it. really works well on her skin but no way for meeeeee..

perfumecollector
perfumecollector

Strong fragrance. Enormous staying power, just a couple of sprays will last the day. A springtime kind of fragrance. Great value if you can tolerate strong scents. But for me its headache country. I knew I could never finish this bottle so it went back to the store and I now have purchased Cabotine Rose for test, with some trepidation, and was relieved to see positive reviews on that one.

blueberry
blueberry

Cabotine is a refreshing floral fruity and a very feminine fragrance. Body lotion+EDT work really well with my skin. The smell is so alluring and intoxicating by the sweet flowery mix that I can only compare it with Acqua di Gio (lots of hiacynth,ylang-ylang, jasmine, freesia, violet and peach that are common for both of them), yet it seems Cabotine is less tiresome in the long run. Its distinct sweetness is not cloying or overbearing to me, but it is definitely different than the sweetness of contemporary lolipop fragrances. I do not think the EDT has an extreme sillage, but hopefully EDP is better in this regard. I find it is best for summer and spring, everyday, office, and casual occassions, but not for a completely laid back and sporty activities. There is some Frenchness in the scent which obliges :-)

nyoka
nyoka

I love this beautiful rare scent.It smells like nothing else.There r notes I cant identify but,based with the ones i can detect,its a winner.Thanks to whomever secretly gifted me with it.

dluellen
dluellen

I love this scent...it soo girly and feminine...I mixes well with my body chemistry...I often get compliments on this one

mrs.Bond
mrs.Bond

I got this today and I like it.I don't think it's a chypre,(there is no patchouli in it)it's just green-floral to my nose.A bit old fashioned but still nice and really french.

orchidlover
orchidlover

I was in a greek perfumerie, I thought let's try some frag which aren't available in my country. First was Cabotine.
What an awful scent, like a toilet airfreshner!I detect some citruses with a hint of floral aroma, but it was mixed so badly, old-fashioned, unwearable scent. Fortunately due to the weak staying power, this scent was disappeared from my wrist soon. I can understand who has headache from it, and also can understand why Cabotine isn't available here.
My second test (and I also was dissapointed) was Chloé Narcisse, but Narcisse is better than this.

chyprecat
chyprecat

Bought a bottle of this from a shopping chanel out of curiosity and it was very affordable.
Cabotine is a big muscular scent from the outset, but like all chypre perfumes, it is layered, sneaky, persistent and ultimately very interesting.
She is hugely floral at first, almost assaulting you and whacking you over the head with density. But you have to be patient.
She shows off, struts her stuff, and demands your attention, and if you stick with her, you find that underneath she is just a big softy and that the brash initial display is just a way of testing your resolve. When the energy level drops, she shows you her softer, more elegant side.
Cabotine lasts and lasts, and becomes this lovely gentle concoction of amber and vanilla (not overyly sweet) with that outside edge of vetiver that stops her from being cloying.
She is very definately a she and reminds me of a old friend of mine who was loud and brash and had a huge public personality, but when you got to know her better, she was sensitive and refreshing and you wanted her beside you.
Some of you will read this and wonder what I am going on about, but to me, perfumes have personalities.
Stick with Cabotine and she will surprise and delight you!!!!

janudy
janudy

This was horrible on me. I think it's due to the pear note that ruins it for me, as it did for Gwen Stefani's L. This starts out sweet (not candy sweet, more like fruit sweet), green, and synthetic. Then, I smell something that I can tell is pear, but for some reason it translates as metal to my nose. It's really jarring..like when you're eating something and your metal fork scrapes against your teeth.

cisco

I am still very fond of Cabotine. It smells great, has great sillage, and lasts more than four hours. Again, I am thrilled it agrees with my chemistry because, obviously, it does not agree with the chemistry of many people.

I saw it left unattended in a discount store so I gave it a try. Oh boy, The piercing chemical or animalic smell with a bunch of flower went right up my nose and straight to my brain causing a massive headache and lost of appetite. WTF is in this thing?!
Well, even a friend of mine wouldn't walk around me! The scent was so old and unpleasant but after hours later, it became softer powdery vanilla flower. It's still old and nicer but by then nobody else left to enjoy it, and I had to take aspirin. Don't even wanna mention the lasting power. It's ridiculously long lasting.

cisco

THANK GOODNESS, it smells great with my chemistry! If not, I would have been stuck with over six ounces of EDT and over twelve ounces of bath gel and body cream. Clearly, I am not a prudent person. What I lost on Azzura (have tons, not good on me) I will make up with Cabotine. Initially, wet from spray, it is pretty scary. It then drys down to a lovely fruit/floral/vanilla scent. I am not good at defining components. I do think I like many fragrances with vanilla.

LadiesRed
LadiesRed

It's not a bad green floral scent for those who love floral scents.

The opening is chypre floral, green notes with mild hints of berry and fruit.

It is as if the bottle contains a garden inside it.

Beautiful_Scent
Beautiful_Scent

Big yes for this cheery, naughty, cheeky floral! A pleasure to wear it and mood lifting. I have the EDT, but will buy the EDP soon.

AMOS' & SNAGGS' MOM
AMOS' & SNAGGS' MOM

Cabotine doesn't work for me at all. Very nasty stuff. Reminds me of incense, insecticide and flowers mixed together. Extremely strong and overpowering, a couple of squirts will do you for the entire day. I detected no fruity notes whatsover.

applemint
applemint

Cabotine is what I use every day.
This is the only fragrance that I can deeply inhale and feel refreshed.
I even use it to complete many other fragrances. Like with Yvresse, it makes Yvresse's trail lighter and more exquisite. Getting back to perfumes from years of using essential oils only, I haven't enough fragrantic experiences yet. Cabotine smells like a fragrance of robust and fresh essences.

I like to add that chyprecat's review is amazing. :)
Other's complain about a metallic smell. Yes, the opening can throw you off, but if you hang on, or better just go on and forget about it, soon you'll be sniffing around to see where does that beautiful, warm, very excuisite fragrance come from...
Cabotine is a sort of selfish, unashamedly unique, very complex fragrance...I seem to smell many fragrances in it, like apple or tobacco...but ir reminds me of a garden with fresh soil.
Uplifting, soft&crisp and so chypre.
I've noticed the skin chemistry issue, and Cabotine is very happy on light, cold and dry skin :)

Lady Love
Lady Love

Don't be fooled by its cute appearance and by its size, this is one of the most powerful fragrances I've tried. Cabotine has an oustanding sillage and powerlasting.

This is the kind of fragrance that need to be used with moderation, too much of this will kill your friends, but with just a little of this, Cabotine will make them love you forever.

Cabotine isn't a complex fragrance, despite the amount of notes, you will smell the same scent in the first five minutes and after a while.

The musk and the civet part are very prominent also the Tuberose and the Violet. This scent is delicious!! For me is like a Greeny Tipe of fragance.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

Update: Now I own it again and have no regrets.

On me? A warmer, damper (as opposed to crisp) green than some reviewers have noted. Nestled inside of this green are THE PREDOMINANT FLORALS which are the star of the show (I mean: LOOK at all of those middle notes!), with spicy ginger thrown in for good measure.

Although I like it, I can see why some members might not: the potpourri of flowers is very strong, and it takes quite some time for the dry-down. I can see wearing this scent only from time to time, and very sparingly at that.

Aredore
Aredore

Cabotine opens as a sweet fruity/floral where the berries are tart and the florals are incredibly dry and soapy - almost fresh-cut - but comparisons to fabric softener and air freshener are unfortunately apt. The fragrance is wrapped in a headache-inducing chemical haze.

After only twenty minutes of wear Cabotine begins to dry down. The end scent is a dry, woody and floral powder with green sharpness.

Manya
Manya

I don't get almost any green notes from this fragrance, what I get is a juicy opening, a warm, shiny heart and a sensual drydown.

Rose notes are predominant on my skin, very soft but not soapy.

It always reminds me of the smell of honeycombs, the sort of fresh, natural honey, dripping gold.

I don't see this as a summer scent at all, I'd rather wear it as a comforting, warm scarf in winter!

redrose
redrose

well,I bought it few days ago only based on the reviews. I can not say Im in love with it but can be pleasant. Im glad that there is one more person who compare this fragrance to Dior Poison (green bottle one)as I think it is so so similar.Well,for me it is typical 80s fragrance then 90s but this is only my personal opinion. Unfortunately im not a big fun of Dior fragrances at all so I have to put up with this one somehow.
So if you love Dior Tendre Poison get this one. I bought 100ml for £19 from Cheapsmells so much cheaper if I would get Dior perfumes as they are always expensive.

cloyd42
cloyd42

I normally hate florals but I love this one. It makes you think of Spring but doesn't overwhelm you with powder and jasmine. Light enough not to annoy others but lasts all day. Yes the bottle top is flowers.

Zaleska
Zaleska

Doubt: does this stopper has REALLY the shape of flowers? o_O
All I can see is coriander leaves...
The scent itself is terrific, elegant!

midsummer
midsummer

This is my mom's signature scent. Way too many aldehydes for me to wear, but it's terrific on her. It's still the way I think perfume is "supposed" to smell. Very fresh and summery.

silent_statue
silent_statue

I got this in miniature from my bf 10 years ago, whenever I smell it, I have a feeling of pure & innocent love... Recently I've bought the 100ml bottle, and continue to fall in love with its lovely, sweet, and first love scent... I feel young whenever I wear it. :)

katyas
katyas

A very interesting scent - the initial burst is awful - chemically and sharp - but fortunately that almost immediately smooths to a bright, almost citrus-like scent. After about 15 minutes or so, the middle notes - all those lovely flowers - start to come through and while it is a bit powdery, it is not excessively so. The flowers are brightened by the green notes; very nice and not too sweet. I like it!

sofiii
sofiii

Maybe it's body chemistry, Cabotine smells more a floral on me.

It starts with really loud rich floral (in the classical way like the scent in Paris by YSL). I've got quite a lot of rose,and aldehyde in the first 5 minutes. Somehow it reminds me of Paris + Byzace plus a little bit Chanel No.5.
It's sweet and mmild both in the classic way which I like (eventhough I was disappointed bcuz it's not chypre enough to me).

After a while it gets softer and more rosy and closer to your skin. To me, it's really comfortable to wear.

I loved Cabaret, and in this perfume, I can detect a little bit of the Cabaret style skin scent notes appear occasionly in the air, along with the previous sweet rose, and it lasts till the end.:-)

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Ohhhhh yikes....Not my scent! I am glad I have only a sample of it. If I bought this unsniffed, I would probably be crying now.

Very sharp, it smells pleasant when I begin to inhale, and when I finish inhaling I smell that household cleaner note that might come from a combination of civet and carnation. Perhaps from a distance, this smells kind of nice, but I smell the toxic dryad that pimentosugars desribed, so I am going to wash this off now.

RouenFr
RouenFr

I love this scent, there is something about this that is complex but not confusing, young but classic. I love that the Jasmine is strong but that you don't get a pure Jasmine scent. From first spray to last molecule this is a lovely scent. The dry down is very powdery and last forever. I will admit that I thought because this is a fairly cheap perfume that it would smell cheap but this scent smells just as lovely (and sometimes more) than other perfumes that are more than three times the price. I have learned my lesson that you don't have to spend the big bucks to get a great scent.

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

I can call that a "honey chypre". Aldehydes are not mentioned in the notes, but I feel them in the top. A very nice and interesting scent, with its own character.

golden

I recently purchased this again and was still amazed at how lovely this perfume could be. Although i must say i think my body chemistry has changed somewhat as when i used to wear this, it was very fresh and floral on me, yet still elegant at the same time. The violet and pear was always present, but i am wearing it now and sprayed it this morning at about 9.00am and it is now 7.04pm and i can smell warm vanilla, really surprises me as i could never detect this before??? Yesterday i wore it and all evening i could smell warm vanilla on me and thought it was a scent i had on from before, so decided to wear it again. And right enough the same smell is present.

DLK0808
DLK0808

This seems more of a Sweet Floral scent as opposed to Chypre. Although it is a nice scent, it is not for me. It may be more suitable for the younger generation but doesn't strike me as something a woman over 30 would wear.

sweetcookie
sweetcookie

Ah, Cabotine. Clean, green and mean. OK, maybe not so very mean, but a pretty cool perfume, nevertheless. It's different enough to be noticed, as a signature scent, perhaps, yet mainstream enough to have relatively wide appeal. I like to think of Cabotine as a nice girl with an edge- that ginger lily was genius! Cute bottle, too.

brightelena
brightelena

This perfume is too strong and it gives me a headache . I totally hate it. I have heard so many good reviews about this fragrance and when I finally purchased, I hated it. I sprayed it about 4 hours ago for the first time, and I can still smell that annoying scent. I totally hate it.

lemonlavendergirl
lemonlavendergirl

I love this perfume!! My husband got me this in a set 2 years ago for my birthday,and completely fell inlove with it.It smells very clean and light.I love it.

Jess6691
Jess6691

I agree that when it first goes on it is green and lethal—but it is an interesting and complex scent and worth hanging in there for.

My mom and my 5 year old immediately liked it shortly after the first spritz (he said: "maybe I will wear this too!"), but I'm not sure if I will reach for this one on a regular basis. Is it the coriander that's so shocking at first? I do, however, find the middle and base notes absolutely enchanting.

Acquiring this was somewhat fortuitous, though, as I had been reading about Gres and other lessor known perfume houses earlier in the week. When I saw it on the 9.99 and under counter at a local Perfume discounter I was very excited. If you smell the spray dispenser, you get a sense of where this will eventually take you—but it may require some patience to get there. After testing it, however, I decided not to buy it. Then at the last minute—after smelling a lot of boring celebrity scents—I decided to get it anyway after it had settled down a bit.

I'm still learning about perfume, but I've never been a fan of aldehydes and this is my first experience (as far as I am aware) with a chypre. The Ginger Lily is rather a sharper floral than I would usually wear, but I'm going to wear this a few more time before I give it a rest.

After not wearing perfume for over ten years, this was perhaps an impulsive (although painless) purchase, but it certainly was an adventure.

seventh
seventh

Got a lot of compliments on this one. Seem that everybody liked it on me. Smells unusual and fresh,seductive but not overpowering,sweet and clean. Very much an avangarde perfum that was forgoten with time. They sell it very cheap, althaugh it is not a cheap creation.

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

Owww! Green and lethal! This is just god awful on my skin and it really hurts my head!

I can't believe the list above doesn't include aldehydes, cos on my skin that really is all that's going on. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind aldehydes, I'm just not used to them leaping out of the bottle and beating me up!
Then, when the chemicals have got me reeling and trying to run away from my own wrists, I suddenly detect the dull pounding buzz of my olfactory bete noir, damnable synthetic violets. How I hate them! How they clobbered me under the shrieking green!

Cabotine is a toxic dryad. I don't know how long it lasts, cos I washed it off within five minutes of risking its diabolical presence!

guest_tata
guest_tata

Wonderful smell---green with a hint of spicy floral. I constantly get positive comments on this when I wear it. Once a mature man follwed me out of a store to ask what perfume I was wearing:)

sharyssa
sharyssa

A lady jumped in my way today at the store to get the last bottle of Cabotine! Wow! It is okay but I guess some people really like this because she almost knocked me over! It is a sharp fragrance with ginger but lovely when it settles a bit!

minimalist
minimalist

Strange that I smell galbanum and it's not listed, love the glue-ish wave i feel when I spray it,bursting aldehydes. unique

ruxxy
ruxxy

It would embody perfection for the summer if that extremely annoying ginger(which i hate) went away. It's still kinda nice, if you like ginger, not-so-sweet fruits and delicate flowers, along with fresh cut leaves.

kay_li13
kay_li13

cabotine, cabotine. i don't know what to say about it... the scent is recognizable but not memorable. as in i can only vaguely recall its scent after just smelling it today in a store. if you were to show it to me, i would recognize it though. my mind goes blank when i smell this... so i don't know what to think... i guess that's all there is to say... :( guess this review was not that helpful.

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

A great, high-energy scent that is fresh and feminine at the same time. After a while, "Cabotine" transitions from a fresh green scent to a warm, almost animalic floral that smells like it is a part of you.

azuriiita
azuriiita

Smell very similar to Paris of Yves Saint Lauren...
In my opinion, Paris is better, because this one have more alcohol to my nose... or something more sour.
However is pleasant, feminine, and light... elegant and cheerful. A good choice to stay in a good mood :) Very nice.

mmsmlzgud546
mmsmlzgud546

VEry nice, one of those scents you smell someone wearing and have to ask about! Its a mood lifting scent. Again with the carnation, it just add something addictive to a scent! Clean and green but warm.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Cabotine is a cheerful green floral on my skin. I bought this one unsniffed after falling in love with Gres' Cabaret perfume, and I have fallen in love with this one, too. The EDT can be found online or at discount stores for very little money, and it has incredible staying power even in this concentration.

It opens with a sweet tropical floral note. The top notes are feminine and pretty, but the best thing about all of the Gres perfumes is the dry-down, and Cabotine is no exception. Very sexy, with a touch of incense and powder. I detect some similarity between Cabotine's dry-down and Cabaret's, though Cabotine's is a little sweeter.

It does seem like a spring/summer scent, but I'm not going to let that stop me from wearing it this winter. If you're a fan of florals or floral chypres, it's probably worth a try.

golden

I just adore this perfume.
It's so fresh clean and feminine. I get so many admirers when i wear this one.
Although it is so hard to get it anywhere! I think i will but one soon, as i have finished mine some time ago now, but i can't stop coming back to it.
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

solocha
solocha

Sharp, green, crispy. I'm not decided yet if I like it, on me it smells too alcoholic. Bottle is nice.

Zoya
Zoya

Nice and simple for every day use. If you want to feel good, clean and freshy but not to drag too much attention this one is perfect.

jbello
jbello

There is something so retro about Cabotine. From the design of the bottle to the print on the box, this screams drug store fragrance, and yet you can find it in Lord and Taylor and smells wonderful. This scent is different than most- it is light, green but warm. It is true what the other writers say in that it can not be worn by everyone. Let your chemistry guide you, but def. try it out.

KJanicki
KJanicki

I love this for the summer. Strangely, I don't like the initial green/aldehydes notes as much, but I love the warm ginger lily after it is dry.

soirdelune
soirdelune

I adored this perfume; very much a 90s scent for me, so I suspect I won't ever go back to it ... Very lovely, though, and rather unusual, with exceptionally good staying power. Not your average chypre floral, with a really pretty bottle. Very elegant and French.

elgab89
elgab89

Like caribou55313 said, a very happy chypre with the bonus of being so long lasting. A green scent that is more suitable for a hot sunny day = so I would wear it in the summer.

caribou55313
caribou55313

A cheerful scent, happier than Happy! Highly diffusive, sharp and sweet. Juicy floral green; the blackcurrant bud and ginger lily give it lots of zing.

2007

CABOTINE for WOMEN by Parfums Gres EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ
CABOTINE for WOMEN by Parfums Gres EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ
Gres Cabotine Eau de Toilette Spray, 1.7 fl oz
Gres Cabotine Eau de Toilette Spray, 1.7 fl oz
Cabotine Fleur Edition Perfume by Parfums Gres, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Women
Cabotine Perfume by Parfums Gres, 3.3 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
CABOTINE MOONFLOWER for WOMEN by Parfums Gres EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ
Gres Cabotine Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Gres Cabotine Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Gift Set 3.4oz
Cabotine Gift Set by Parfums Gres Gift Set for Women Includes 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray 6.7 oz Body Lotion 6.7 oz Shower Gel
CABOTINE for WOMEN by Parfums Gres SET-EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ BODY LOTION 6.7 OZ SHOWER GEL 6.7 OZ
Gres Cabotine Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Gres Cabotine Eau de Toilette Spray, 3.4 fl oz
Gres Cabotine Eau De Parfum Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Gres Cabotine Eau De Parfum Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Gift Set 3.4oz
Gres Cabotine Coffret Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.4oz Body Lotion 200ml 6.76oz Miniature 3pcs
Gift Set 3.4oz
Gres Cabotine Coffret Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.4oz Body Lotion 200ml 6.76oz Miniature Hearts Box 3pcs

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Gres Cabotine fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Gres Cabotine, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Cabotine by Gres. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Cabotine by Gres represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.