Designers » F-H » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Shem - el- Nessim Grossmith for women

Shem - el- Nessim Grossmith for women
dislike

Shem - el- Nessim Grossmith for women Pictures Shem - el- Nessim Grossmith for women Pictures

Shem-el-Nessim, which is Arabic for “smelling the breeze,” got its name after the summer festival in Egypt on Nile. It was first created in 1906 as an iris fragrance.

It has notes of bergamot, neroli, geranium, jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang, iris, musk, patchouli, cedar, sandalwood, heliotrope and vanilla.

It is available in exclusive glass bottles as 10 and 100 ml perfume, as well as 50 and 100 ml EDP. You can also order the fragrance in the original shaped bottle from 1919, embellished with gold. The nose behind this fragrance is Trevor Nicholl.

Bergamot Neroli

Charles of the Ritz

Shem - el- Nessim Fragrance Reviews

Cherry_Darling
Cherry_Darling

Super powdery silky smells (and is) incredibly expensive. And vintage. Great longevity, if you are a powdery lover this is excellent.

I have 100+ niche samples for swap within Europe - get in touch! Updated spreadsheet of samples on my profile.

Das Huffer
Das Huffer

Miss Havisham smelled like this before her heart broke.
Commenting on this as a male almost feels like I'm an intruder in the "ladies only" side of the hammam. Especially given the Victorian sensibilities which were the norm when Shem el Nessim came to be. Oh, the scandal!
What a fantastic creation we have here! I'm generally not a fan of powder, but in Shem I make no argument. Old school perfection!
This oozes old-world Guerlain-esque sensibilities. Even the name of it alludes to the mysteries of the East and fascination with Orientalism which ran rampant at the time of its creation.
I'm not even going to bother deconstructing each and every note. Many here have already done so far more eloquently than I could aim to. This is one of the few times I've just let myself go with the evolution of the fragrance, and enjoy it for the sake of experience. ...the experience did not disappoint.
This ranks up there with Vol de Nuit for me in the sense that it may not be something I could effectively wear on a day-to-day basis, particularly as a man (although I hate to bring gender specificities into fragrance choices). However, this is such a deeply comforting scent, that it will be far from ignored. Whether on a quiet day at home when I need an olfactory hug, or even on days when my wardrobe is just that little bit more edgy and I'm prepared to "own it", Shem el Nessim will be reached for.
Mind you, it may be apropos to slip a poison ring on my finger as I reach for it, though.

marwa.qoura
marwa.qoura

Interesting name , I am Egyptian and wish to smell it to see if it really smells like the Summer /Spring festival here ..

epicurean
epicurean

This is L'Heure Bleue minus the cloves and anise. I like both of these scents; perhaps Shem el Nessim is a little easier to wear due to these omissions. I love the iris and geranium in this one.

celticelle
celticelle

This does remind me of L'Heure Bleue due to the intensive heliotrope and vanilla, yet I like it because it doesn't contain the overdose of methyl ionone that is so strong in the modernized L'Heure Bleue, a note that I don't care for. On my skin it becomes grape kool-aid. This also doesn't have the heavy anise in Apres L'Ondee that can sometimes be overwhelming in that perfume when you want to wear something soft and sweet and powdery. So this perfume reminds me somewhat of those two classics, yet I much prefer it to both of them.

The spiciness of the geranium really pulls it together and keeps it from becoming cloying, as many sweet, powdery scents tend to do. There's also a patchouli that develops in the drydown that adds earthiness and a lovely musk note. The sillage on this is very soft, so I can see myself wearing it as a late evening, before bedtime perfume. It's also very relaxing and sensual. Quite a beauty!

Strange how many people think that it smells like L'Heure Bleue, because it doesn't seem to contain anise, which on me it's a very prominent note in LHB, but I totally get the old-Guerlain vibe. It smells more like Shalimar to my nose, if any.
Anyway this is a very beautiful scent in itself. It's oriental and powdery, very dreamy yet not too playful.
Orris and the heliotrope play a big part and the result is totally old school without the greasiness.
It's rare to find this level of elegance and harmony in recent perfumes.Expensive but probably worth.

JMSG
JMSG

I blind-bought Shem-el-Nessim because wise blogger Kafkaesque mentioned its similarity-in-parts to my One True Love, vintage L'Heure Bleue. Since the latter scent has been gutted and zombiefied, I was grasping at anything that might bring my daemon back.

At first I felt a very expensive disappointment. Shem-el-Nessim seemed thinner than the vintage LHB in its opening, less complex and layered throughout. Therefore I of course resented it (unfairly, for not being something else), and ignored it for months.

But now, almost a year later, I am better able to appreciate it on its own terms. It is beautiful. It is stately. It also has a decided Evelyn Nesbit quality, an Edwardian sensuality-- almost quaint, but very real nonetheless. The drydown is quite lovely: powdery-rich. Sillage is moderate to emphatic on me, with excellent longevity.

If Shem-el-Nessim were a cat, it would be a Persian. Extravagant, high-maintenance, striking, gazing at the world from its tasselled velvet cushion. And if Gloria Swanson didn't wear it during her heyday, she should have.

pinkster56
pinkster56

The most sophisticated and delicately rendered homage to L'Heure Bleue, ever. (Even though the original Shem-el Nessim came first!) Utterly feminine and swoon-worthy--Iris and heliotrope and everything delicious! Yum!

seventh
seventh

Very anaemic and weak for the money spent. It doesnt last more than 2hours and it's very shy and never got a compliment on it. Will never buy again.

Ginger Kitty
Ginger Kitty

The Shem-el-Nessim is a captivating smell that kept my attention for many hours. Without doubt the clear winner for my money amongst all the range of the classy Grossmith scents.

(Edit)
I have to now add Amelia due to recent love affair with wearing it in isolation on a day when ability to smell was being impaired in any way. It may even have to be ranked higher due to its smoothness and delightful balance on my skin.

(..edit again)
Amelia is now at home with me. Just had to leave the shop with it as it is smooth, softly comforting when I need a big hug to get me through the tough times in life.

Stunning!

Cereza
Cereza

Oh my, this is so oldschool!
So far this is my favorite from all the Grossmith's I've tried. I love how they make their perfumes in best old perfumery traditions making all their creations smell elegant, sophisticated and yes, rather old.

"Shem el Nessim" for me has two completely different paths. I do not like how it opens and develops in the heart part, but I simply ADORE the drydown.

First - the opening and heart is pure geranium, I do get hints of dirty orris root and sweet heliotrope powder at the background, but mostly I just get LOADS of geranium - freshly bitter and spicy. I did not enjoy it, but that's just me - I have yet to find a geranium perfume I do enjoy.

On the other hand the drydown is something I feel rather addicted to - sweet, powdery vanilla on a very, very animalic base. I think it's musk + orris as it gravitates on smelling like pure animal piss (what does it tell about me that I enjoy smelling this, haha?). I really like it, it's skanky yet elegant, sensual, warm, sweet.

The longevity and silage is more than enough! Full bottle worthy for sure... IF you are friendly with geranium.

winkie11
winkie11

At first...
Powder.....powder, powder! However, after about an hour soft floral and woody notes are mixed gorgeously with musk, patchouli and lord knows what else! I love this fragrance as it develops.....six hours later and still changing....excellent silage. I need to start saving for a FB.
Highly recommended!

estherica
estherica

Oh my, a powder bomb! Powder, powder and more powder. Sampled it only once, what I can say for sure is the sillage is extreme. On my right wrist Shem - el - nessim, on my left Lyric. Lyric had no chance to get more attention,the heavy iris powdernotes made it impossible for me (and it's an Amouage!).
It's defintely a 'rich' scent and evoked the picture of some fairytale princess dressed in muslin underwear, in her bedroom with a fourposter bed in the background and a huge oval mirror and open closet stuffed with silk and velvet dresses in front, putting on powder. And that whole picture came in a certain light and color with a lot of ivory. Wellmade perfume,but it's not for me, I think. I will give it another try, maybe for some occasions. (when I want to feel like a fairytale princess?)

LoisAyres
LoisAyres

Nice, just tried sample from lucky scent - very powdery at first, now smells just like Oscar de la Renta. very nice though - will see what dry down says.

rosarossa
rosarossa

I haven't smell anything more beatiful than Shem el Nessim. It is soft, tender, special it seems composed by 2 or 3 different perfumes together: l'Heure Bleu, l'Origan and another old berfume that was my grandmother's favoutire but it's very good and not old lady's perfume. It's really beautyful but really expensive! For me it's a dream.

daniela3
daniela3

Simply a masterpiece and it's still a great lesson of high perfumery also, cleverly re-done by an expert such as Mr Roja Doves. The opening reminds me very clearly my beloved l'Heure Bleu, even though it is said that it takes also after to 'Coty's L'Origan (but I've never chanced to meet the latest, unfortunately!) which was of the same period. It has so many different evolutions that it would be really unwise trying to describe them all as I'm sure it reacts differently on each skin. I've always thought that these kind of phenomenons could only be re-discovered in Versailles's Osmoteque or lived in the memories of old ladies. It was love at first "sight".... a little "bit" expensive though I believe it worths every cent but....I'm sure the ingredients must be top quality, after all. Excellent persistence also! I've still mouillettes keeping the fragrance after one year or so.
This is my only doubt: when I start using it and consequently getting accustumed not say addicted to this wonder, how can I go back to my previous ones? as Sharm el Nessim has no rivals!
I wonder how brilliant and great must have been the original version! Sometimes I regret to be "young" as I wish I would have lived during the Belle Epoque only to know how exactly all those superb creations - released at that time- could smell .

dhoakohime
dhoakohime

What can i say about such a beauty...Grossmith is probably my favourite house right now, and i have sampled amouage, mcdi, serge lutens.... and this is by far the most beautiful well done fragrances i have ever tried, and i have the pleasure to own one and i can't wait to get the other 2 (betrothal is too pricey for me right now...so i didn't even try it).

It is rich (one of the richest i ever tried), deep, perfectly balanced, noticeable but not loud like black orchid or poison, it rather stays warmly close to the skin. About the scent itself...you can really tell these fragrances have a long story behind them and that they come from a different era. They are "haute société" lady scents and you can really tell. It's a bouquet of flowers, not a huge bouquet, just few of the best, most exquisite flowers of the garden specially and carefully chosen (after all these 3 fragrances of the line are inspired in gardens of the most exotic places of the world). It has a powdery quality, not exagerated like in YSL Paris or Caron's N'Aimez Que Moi, just a hint of powder embracing the natural not too sweet flowers, kind of remembering times when one wouldn't shower daily, and would use tons of powder instead. The flowers also have a creamy quality that makes them lay and melt int he skin softly. As it developes, the soft creamy base of vanilla starts to appear, as a delicate bed in which the powdery flowers lay. As said, this is a strong scent (i mean that it is not an eau de toilette..ore one of those that hardly have any silage) but not loud, so it lays softly in the skin. It does not have a crazy projection neither...this is soft and elegant, an intimate luxurious fragrance that talks and whispers in short distances..a jewel that waits elegantly there to be discovered by the others, like a pearl hidden inside the oyster. The longevity is amazing, and there you can really tell that this is HIGH quality. This fragrance stays until you take a shower int he skin...longevity is endless, and it doesn't need to be a super loud fragrance like poison to stay there for hours and hours..nah...we are talking about a masterpiece! it will stay calmly and softly developing it's aroma there until you wash it off. And this has only happened to m with this brand and amouage..the rest of fragrances that have such an amazing silage it is because they are extremly loud, like a lady that wears extremly make up and minidreses because she wants to be desperately noticed...no..here we are talking about royalty...Sem-el-Nessim would be that amazingly beautiful courtesan, pure elegance and grace, that sits quietly a bit apart form the crowd.

10/10..just perfection

gabyvinki
gabyvinki

Such a gorgeous classic!! I completely agree with fenlady here..an absolute perfume treasure..The likeliness to L'heure Bleue is what made me love Shem instantly:) It s thick, powdery, plush, voluminous, rosey. The sharpness in the beginning fades luckily away quite quickly so that s when the powdery earthy rooty iris kicks in, and such a lovely Iris this is..not the carotty one like Hiris or Iris Silver Mist, no a very attention demanding Iris root extract that reminds you of times that must have been there..but you never could travel back to..:) If I could I would take Shem with me in a time travel machine to go back to those french perfumey times where you took a bath in fragrances instead of washing with water:) Really if you re a fan of the "old" ladylike high attitude fragrances you should give Shem el Nessim a try..sounds ARabic to me but smells utterly french:) Not everybody could and should love such a gem, so ladys, let s keep it for ourselfes and admire it.

Kterhark
Kterhark

(Second review)
I"m coming back to this six months after my first review. It's often the case that I change my mind, and what was once good is now so-so; in other words, when it comes to perfume the novelty wears off quickly.

Not so with Shem. When I first sampled this I liked it, but now I love it. I'm not exactly sure what 'aired out', but I"m getting more of the spicy, herbaceous geranium, the crisp bergamot and a catchy, earthy floral.

This scent goes the distance. It keeps you on your toes, always suggesting it might go a different path. It's a very modern scent, even though the notes are old school. I think what i"m picking up more is the rose/sandalwood combo, which has risen in the past six months to be my signature combination. I will always notice this, and when it's done well, as it is here, I'm a school girl in love.

A classy fragrance to put on my wish list!

fenlady
fenlady

What a truly gorgeous perfume, definitely destined to become a classic! I have a sample of the EdP, and when funds permit would love to own an FB.
The opening is quite sharp and green, but the top notes soon give way to an enveloping, enchanting soft melange of florals and gentle woody notes.
Musk is there, and powdery iris cloaks the rose and jasmine whilst the cedar and patchouli create depth and intrigue.
In the drydown, this perfume is so similar to L'Heure Bleue that you could easily confuse the two. I'm wearing a sample of each one on either wrist, and if I didn't know which was which, I don't think I could distinguish them. Both are achingly lovely.
I think there's also much in common with Caron's beautiful N'Aimez Que Moi. Soft floral notes which never become too sweet dancing over a base of cedar and heaven-knows-what in the forest floor.
This is love at first sniff for me. I think it will prove eternal.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Grossmith Shem - el- Nessim fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Grossmith Shem - el- Nessim, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Shem - el- Nessim by Grossmith. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Shem - el- Nessim by Grossmith represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.