Designers » F-H » Oriental Floral « Groups

Apres l'Ondee Guerlain for women

Apres l'Ondee Guerlain for women
dislike

I have it: 631 I had it: 137 I want it: 861 My signature: 12

Apres l'Ondee Guerlain for women Pictures Apres l'Ondee Guerlain for women Pictures

Apres l'Ondee was created by Jacques Guerlain in 1906. It is a beautiful, delicate combination of orange blossom and violet, with spicy anis note. Smell of a spring-time garden after a downpour, smell of wet leaves and flowers warmed by the sunshine. The heart is composed of spicy carnation and violet, not traditionally sweet in this composition. The base notes include luxurious iris and soft vanilla touch.

Cassia Neroli Anise Bergamot Lemon

Kerbside Violet

Apres l'Ondee Fragrance Reviews

jt, too
jt, too

After reading about Apres L'Ondee, I was eager to try it because I am familiar with Guerlain parfums, and I felt certain I would love it. There is a rumour circulating that it will no longer be available in the U.S., and there is another rumour that Guerlain intends to stop making it altogether, so before either one of these possible eventualities became realities, I ordered the eau de toilette on-line from an Amazon seller. This review primarily concerns the current EDT, but I do discuss the vintage parfum at the end to some extent.

The Apres L'Ondee EDT indeed smells very fresh and bright. I found it to be almost loud upon first application of it to my skin, but it quickly dried down to a softer scent. I would describe it as a green scent, but it is not green in the way that Diorissimo is, for example. It smells of soft, vaguely sweet grasses and cut flower stems, not the blossoms so much but the green stems. I do smell flowers, but they seem more distant than the grasses and green stems. I do indeed pick up on a wetness to it as well. After it was on my skin for a couple of hours, I could definitely detect a very light, sweet, vanilla or honey note to it. It is quite charming in the dry down.

Right now, I do not particularly like the top notes, but I have only worn it once, and my opinion may change later, so send me a private message to ask if you are interested. I like the dry down which is soft, vaguely sweet but not sugary sweet at all, grassy, and slightly wet. Apres is a very demure scent, and as other reviewers have noted, it it not very long lasting. I had perhaps two to three hours of it before it was gone. I intend to apply some scent-free lotion before I apply the Apres next time to see if the lotion will help it to linger longer on my skin.

The EDT has moderate to strong projection upon first application, but it quietens down pretty quickly. Sillage is also moderate upon first application, but it, too, quietens down quickly. My biggest criticism is the current EDT's lack of longevity, but this is a criticism I have of virtually all eau de toilettes, and it is the reason why I buy eau de parfum if it is available. Unfortunately, Apres L'Ondee in either eau de parfum or in extrait is no longer made, so if you want to try it, you will either have to purchase the current EDT or find a vintage bottle or decanted sample.

I have since been able to sample a vintage Apres L'Ondee in pure parfum formulation, and it is much different from the current EDT. As expected, the vintage parfum has a deeper, creamier smell to it. It is also a bit sweeter but still not candy sweet. It has that wet, grassy sweetness about it. It wears very, very close to the skin, even closer than the EDT and its presence, too, was quite fleeting on my skin. I feel privileged to have been able to sample the parfum, though.

My overall impression of Apres L'Ondee is favourable. After trying it, I do not think anyone exaggerated in describing Apres L'Ondee as an utterly beautiful, iconic parfum, a classic creation. It is unlike any other scent I have ever tried. Do I recommend you buy a bottle of the current EDT? Yes, it is worth sampling and keeping in your collection as a reference point as well as an historical artefact should Guerlain stop making it. Do I recommend you buy a vintage EDT, EDP, or pure parfum? Yes, a vintage is very worthy of the cost, and I think if you like this type of scent, then you will really like the vintage Apres L'Ondee.

weelylah
weelylah

I love this. I would agree with words others have used: fragile, ethereal, otherworldly, tragic tender and lovely. This fragrance makes me think of silvery flagstones in a lilac dawn light, a structured formal herb garden in the grey mist, a melancholic castle, the smell before a storm. Yes, I get the 'dentist' office description others have mentioned but I like that for it's herbal, slightly antisepticy, cold-creamyness.

It's remarkable in that it smells historic (as opposed to vintage) and simultaneously contemporary (yet set apart from all the others out there). I think it smells more modern than L'heure Blue, which I also own but it could also go way back in time and be almost Elizabethan.

Many see it as a spring fragrance but I love it in autumn and winter because it shares the melancholy facets of these seasons.

Its so unique and for something created in 1906, I cant get over how easy it is to wear. And I am not a sucker for vintage by any means. I have a lot of perfumes which may be considered challenging to the more mainstream nose, but I am not sure if AL is one of these. I can't imagine it offending anyone because it is so sheer. This is something you could wear to work and I think coupling it with an edgy contemporary wardrobe, as a previous reviewer suggested, would really pull it off as there is something steely and avant garde about it.

Such an exceptional heart breaker of a fragrance.

StopHammertime
StopHammertime

Don't hate me... I think this smells like a clean bathroom. When I worked at walgreens this is what the men's bathroom smelled like after I cleaned it. Also this scent has terrible lasting power.

Musume
Musume

Where to begin? Après l'Ondée is to me the most perfect iris-violet-heliotrope combination Perfumery has ever created, I'm not able to think of a most beautiful way to get those notes mixed, it's purely genius. AlO trascends perfume to enter emotionland. I find it very longlasting but with a subtle sillage that complements the scent, it's ethereal and magical, a perfume of other times, even other worlds, ideal for meditating or for lonely moments to think about life, love, loss, past and future, I love it so much I can't be without it, definitely my desert island scent.

Coralmonkey

Not for everyone, Bloodlust, but it's okay. My husband dislikes almost every perfume I wear. He says they all smell the same, like an old lady covered in powder.

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

Am I smelling a different scent than everybody else? I really feel like I am. I have a decant of this scent, so maybe something was lost in translation here...

Apres l'Ondee opens up on my skin with dusty, minty toothpaste water, and dries down (in moments, to a skinscent) to a sad flowerpot of dried up flowers-that-once-were. In there somewhere is thin leather oxford shoes with tears in them.

I have seen "work of art", "uplifting", "spring in a bottle", "romantic" out of the reviews below me, and I am convinced that I'm smelling a different scent, reformulation, or turned perfume. These notes are some of my favorites, how can this be?

Coralmonkey

My all time favorite. I wore it on my wedding day in a tiny Victorian Gothic chapel in rural Ireland. It makes sweet memories seem even more like lovely dreams. I have a bottle of the pure perfume that I hardly wear because it is the pre reform and I savor it. So I wear my two EDT's (also pre reform) sparingly and the new EDT (which is still, pretty good) garishly often and prodigiously because Dominque at the Guerlain counter down at Saks in B.H. has me on "Rolodex". Here's the horror show. My beautiful bottle of pure Parfum (bought in Rome in the 1990's) was knocked off my favorite little table of "smalls" and objets where it held pride of place, and the top of the stopper broke off, the bottom half still lodged firmly in the neck ( I was too cautious about evaporation, I fear) and now I CAN'T GET TO MY PERFECT AND FAVORITE JUICE! Any suggestions? Please?

majestic mammy
majestic mammy

There are 3 simblings that have different personalities but resemble one another.
Their names are Apres l'Ondee, L'Heure Blue, and the youngest L'Heure de Nuit.

L'Heure de Nuit: is young and calf like but her personality is has less mystery. Cute but not dreamy. Someone you see and enjoy but she is not one to leave a lasting impression. Nice at parties and receives her share of compliments as she is known to resemble her elder siblings with softer refined features.

L'Heure Blue: is the more straight faced beautiful sister. She can be friends with the boys and the girls all in good company with out being a lush or temptress of any sort. The middle child is the popular sister and has many friends. She is not sweet and a little cold in character calming and always clean. with a passing of the scent of a freshly bathed luxurious soap. Enviting but not lustful.She is pretty always fresh in a melancholy fashion. She doesn't turn heads but if your asked to look at her, you may agree that she is a unique beauty. She enamores a croud in a somber fashion.

Apres l'Ondee :The Eldest Simbling. Her age promised never to tarnish her. She is forever beautiful and her features are adorned by the young and the old. She is admired by the ones who respect her family tree and those who are not educated of her history. She is not loud and not trendy. She Smiles showing only a glimpse of teeth. She laughs with her mouth closed. She is dignified and superior but never belittles. A genuine beautiful, beautiful person. Apres l'Ondee is never out of place and never sits center in any photo. Apres l'Ondee makes no enemies and her friends only can say kind words about her. She is not a butt kisser and not cold. She is the perfect daughter who kisses and loves but never tarnished her good name. loved by all Her names is Apres l'Ondee . She is appropriate in any event and when she travels to far away places she is complimented and never intrusive nor disturbs. A smile and optimism surrounds her.Even though her life was short she is still mimicked and envied by her other two sisters and people who want to be just like her.

ada.cotoi
ada.cotoi

What a masterpiece!! I truly believe this is a royal scent, which encapsulates in it so much loftiness and pur elegance!
When I spray myself, the scent starts with blast of violets and delicate purple flowers. After a few minutes I can feel the carnation too, which in my opinion, it gives it a sexy and sensual feeling.
When you are perfectly content with this stage, you will be amazed by the final twist, when the happy family: ambra, vanilla and sandalwood, are ready for the party!

Longevity is very good, about 10-12 hours, and the sillage is leaving a trail in the first 1/1 and a half hour, and after that, it stays close to the skin.

Well, this is a gourgeus and luxurious scent for a delicate woman!

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Not much to explain or emphasize about Après L'ondée, but here's my take on this beautiful piece of culture and history. The opening is already pure classic sumptuosity, here declined in a cozier, fresher and more sheer way. Green, botanical and vibrant, neoclassic and sinister, shady but radiant. The notes span from diverse floral nuances (the powderiness of iris, the animalic earthiness of carnation, the romantic juiciness of rose, the "pollen" yellowness of mimosa) to a resinous-almondy accord of tonka, amber and benzoin, to citrus hints, herbs and woods. A manual of gracefulness - describing the notes is not really enough to deliver the beauty of this perfume. Classic, but completely modern, even more than other classic scents, thanks to this cozy, intimate, melancholic but also bright sort of transparency and lightness. Like a sort of "prehistoric" attempt to accomplish a rendition of the concept of sea (as the name suggest), just in a more poetical and romantic way, playing with the colours, the brightness and daintiness of certain notes. Needless to say that every bit of Apres l'ondée exudes also class, sophisticacy, evanescent and graceful sensuality. The longevity is in fact not that long, although the drydown, despite being close to skin, is incredibly beautiful and graceful, perfectly fitting the general mood of closeness and melancholic intimacy. Timeless!

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

I wasn't initially interested in purchasing this fragrance, only because of the remarks made on its lack of longevity.

But those notes-my ultimate favorites in perfumery weakened my resolve, and I am even more supported in my new found resolve to from this point on only to collect quality classic fragrances made by the best perfumers of the old school.

I don't know if other people have had this experience, but when I was young,When I thought of someone I would think of them in the light of the aura I imagined surrounding them. My sister is extroverted and high energy, and I imagined her surrounded by yellow.Her being blonde likely added to my imagination. Myself, I saw as purple. I was always drawn to sight, smell and the taste of purple. The scent of purple. That perfectly describes Apres l Ondee.

Contemplation, introspection,imagination,dreams..I was able to take in and understand this fragrance reclining into my bed in the dusk hours. The monsoonal breeze mixes in moisture, smelling as if it really did rain.Until I realize it's the anise I am smelling-or is it the violet?

It's so upsetting that we can't purchase the Eau de Parfum version anymore. I would rather die in an angel's embrace than live a long life in the valley of mediocrity,

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

Yes, Oscar de la Renta Esprit really do smell like this!
I wouldn`t be able to tell them apart.

I have a love/hate relationship to Esprit, because it both smells like lovely purple flowers and powder, but also like tobacco, which I hate.
Hence, Apres has the exact same problem.

But the bottle showed here on Fragrantica is sooo pretty, so princess-y...

alpestremonte
alpestremonte

Lots of anise, then iris and violet. The air around you turns fresh and almost sweet, but in an ancient way. Sillage is enormous for about two hours, then it turns to a powdery skin scent that's very close to L'Heure Bleue for another two hours and finally vanishes. True to its name, this fragrance loves humid weather.

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

Apres L'Ondee is a very different creature from other classic Guerlains of the same period. This is a very light, gentle, dream-like scent. It's sheer, almost invisible, with just tantalising wisps of floral beauty close to the skin. Its more like a body mist then an EDT, the longevity and sillage is akin to that left by a scented shower gel. It barely lasts an hour, but that hour is sublime. Initially there is a slight smooth spice, no sharpness or bitterness. It's cool and refreshing and then becomes floral-violets predominate on me and I get a little of the mimosa, but its not a sweet violet, its a cool clean floral. The powdery note is there but it is not the dominant note to me, I also get a herbal and fresh green theme in the later stages, like sage.

This is a feminine fragrance, but not sweet or sickly, and not overpowerngly floral. At sunset, when the wispy clouds turn pale pink and the sky turns golden, this is what I imagine the evening would smell like.

Henriette

A few days ago I was at my house on the lake. Jasmines were all in bloom, as a lot of other fragrant flowers.
Grass was wet from the early summer downpour of the night, the soil was damp, the trees and their leaves were letting raindrops dripping and bees and bugs were busy flying all around.
As the dawn was creeping up the sky I opened the garden door and was welcomed by an intense fragrance coming from all around: the smell of Nature, of Awakening of a New Day, of the Peace surrounding the Place After a Stormy Night.
The same smell that hit me was Aprés l'Ondée and just then did I realize that Jacques Guerlain perfectly recreated the same smell I was breathing, identical, precise. Not quite close, not a good imitation, not a perfect rendering, not a good replica: THE SAME SMELL.
Indeed the fragrance captured in the bottle exists in the world; Jacques Guerlain with his magic artistry recreated it and I have experienced it for once in my life after enjoying so many times from a Guerlain bottle.
Again: A MASTERPIECE YOU JUST CAN'T MISS.

nise
nise

A very gentle, shy perfume this. The initial notes smell very green and herbal to me which includes a hint of cannabis or hemp - perhaps that is the cassia. The soft violet comes through soon after and settles lightly on my skin. There is a vague earthiness, a little vanilla, but unfortunately this perfume does not last long at all on my skin. It is mostly gone after an hour leaving only the Guerlain signature, so sad. I was hoping for more longevity and sillage but perhaps therein lies it's beauty, a fleeting glimpse and then longing for more. Aha!

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

An initial hit of lilac, or possibly heliotrope, with a dry down of baby oil and violet. Interesting but too too powdery for my taste.

ErinBerry
ErinBerry

When I smell this....it takes to a place that is not of this Reality....it is unreal.

Kiera79
Kiera79

The opening of this is a bit harsh, but it dries down to a nice floral scent that is fresh and just slightly soapy. It wears close to the skin in a quiet way that is subtle yet beautiful. I can see why a lot of people mention rain when describing this.

firstinthedance
firstinthedance

This is a soft, sweet floral. Very pleasant smelling if that is your sort of thing. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to something in this. My throat went scratchy and I felt an asthma attack coming on, so I had to wash it off immediately.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Every time i smell this perfume, i remember Constance from the book Lady Chatterley's Lover. She was also beautiful, intelligent, calm, mysterious and natural. And she liked "violets by Coty".

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

This is a scent that I seem to "feel" or sense more than actually smelling.
I had wondered, actually, if I was somewhat anosmic to this, or something in this, as often when I sprayed I could really discern any particular perfume, however I *felt* something, without speaking French or knowing what apres l'ondee meant, this evoked the feeling of a spring rain shower, that sudden onslaught where you find yourself laughing, ducking under an archway or pressed against a wall to avoid the deluge, laughing, inhaling the scent of rain in the air, the freshness and cleanliness in the atmosphere, the way other people all seemed to vanish simultaneously as the heavens opened. And then as the rain stops as suddenly as it started and tentatively you step back out and walk along, hand in hand with your lover, as the sun comes back out, and the small flowers lift their heads to the warmth and light again. That was the feeling I had, yet without actually thinking I was smelling anything.
I have been on treatment recently for a sinus infection, and also a subsequent allergic reaction to the antibiotics, meaning I had not been using scented toiletries, or laundry detergent, and had been giving some of my bigger, stronger perfumes a little rest. After my shower today I picked this up and sprayed liberally and you know what? The most beautiful iris perfume filtered up to my nostrils....iris, a hint of violet, a little paper, this was light and delicate but oh it was definitely there. How charming! Suddenly I could see the comparisons to L'Heure Bleue - this is much lighter but the iris and violet are similar, I can see the resemblance. I asked Himself what he thought I smelled like (dismissing his first answer of "er, fancy perfume?") and he said "something very light and feminine, maybe iris? Small flowers anyway". So not far wrong.
This is very light, possibly more so than any other of my perfumes. Maybe this needs a clearer, warmer day and my winter trials did not allow it to show itself. Maybe I had overpowered my nose with big heavy winter scents. Either way this is very delicate but really rather lovely.
On my skin this lasted about 6 hours, albeit faintly, on clothes it could still be smelled up close after 12 hours.

I think this is a perfume to wear for yourself when you are somewhere quiet, nasally and will not have your nostrils distracted all the time! It is very light and soft, but very pretty.

courant
courant

Diary 1906
The rain has darkened the skies; the thick taint of tallow cascading from the candle tops, is wafting down the panelled corridor. The boudoir tapestries feature a pastoral scene and I try to identify the significance, but I am not Catholic and the allegory escapes me. Jacques has gone to Mass and has ordered me to sleep. "You are enceinte, they will understand"
I doze fitfully until fully awakened in a churning fit of nausea; the kitchen odours of roasting lamb mixing violently with the church candles are the culprit. Jacques will return soon. The child flutters butterfly wings in my belly.
I tell Jacques that since I am with child my nose is more sensitive than his. He laughs and says that misery loves company. Jacques has offered to create a perfume after my name, a Regal lily, to rival the fields that Ernest Wilson found in China just three years ago. "But it wouldn't be French, it wouldn't represent my life..and it would make me ill, my darling"
"Then I will create the fragrance of your world, for you, my beautiful Lily of the field"
It is this he works on, a present for a woman who cannot abide strong parfum, and much to his chagrin, is frequently indisposed by the very nature of his business. How can he tolerate such a pale, fair skinned weakling? I have apologised to the point where he will not hear another word. "Trust me, I can bring you the sun, the rain, the soil and the simple flowers of the hedgerows distilled into a parfum that will not make you sick. And then I will fuse it with a meteorite that none may replicate it. It will be our secret, for the child we conceived after the rain shower"
He is hopelessly romantic and I hope to always be his muse.
I summon my maid to help me wash and find fresh clothes. The laundered Broderie Anglaise undergarments have been perfumed with lavender sachets and lie folded, five high, in a huge Armoire in my dressing room. They polish the walnut armoire with beeswax and sprig it with herbs to keep moths away until these, too, permeate the clothes. I love the fresh scent of herbs, they do not sicken.
My maid, Mathilde, has taken a scoop necked chemise for me to wear and tied the satin ribbon in a small bow behind the tweedy waistcoat. I will walk with my husband in the woods behind the chateau and pick violets for tussie mussies. Cleaver weed will attach to the velvet of my walking skirt, Jacques will laugh at my disarray. The soft silty soil will adhere to the petticoats; the maids will not laugh.
Soon we will be Maman and Papa but there is yet time to walk after the rain shower.

brt
brt

This is one Guerlain that I wish was more readily available. I tried a sample and loved the purity of it. I didn't think it stayed long on my skin but I put it on before going out in the car and spent about 2 hours before I came back to the car. When I opened the door the most marvelous, lovely and quality fragrance was awaiting me. I realized it was the Apres L'Ondee. I'd walk hand in hand in the rain with this one any day!

LB152
LB152

This fragrance is so sweet yet melancholic.

It inspires thoughts of dreamy rainy days, sitting near an open window that faces a beautiful garden while penning memories of love lost.

As you sit and write...delicate violet, iris, heliotrope, bergomot, rose, mimose, and anise open Après L'Ondee and attempt to cheerfully dance around you while giving you hope that your love will return; but then amber, sandalwood, and musk drown out their happy song and remind you to "get serious" and move on.

This fragrance can be worn anytime during the year but I feel it performs best during the spring and summer.

Sillage is low and longevity on me about 1.5-2hrs.

It's a classic that I think certainly deserves a place in any violet lover's wardrobe.

valenceis
valenceis

Not sure I love this as much as others do yet I guess. I think I will have to do something I am not known to do with this one and spray myself into oblivion to really feel how it's supposed to be worn. I think another reviewer mentioned this. I'm a very judicious sprayer, generally but this one seems to want to envelop you gently, but completely. It is a really nice, beautifully constructed violet scent that has a lot of similarities to LHB on the initial blast, but turns into a soft, clean, candy (not too much) violet that doesn't have very good apparent longevity and a very conservative sillage. LHB is iris and heliotrope, it has many more twists and turns and is brazen and almost buttery in comparison. AL is pretty much nothing like that. Shy violet and heliotrope, furtively batting eyelashes at you. As soon as you take notice of this girl, poof! She fades back into the wallpaper. AL leaves a very pleasant, quiet trail of good humor that lingers when you move, reminding you that it is still in fact, there but doesn't want to make a show of it. Something about perfumes that wear like this I find disturbing at first, but then I admire the very personal and intimate feeling of it which can actually be quite comforting and spell "signature". It's very charming.

My bottle is dated 3U01, it's from 2013. I am always disappointed in any perfume that doesn't have the stamina for me to enjoy a symphonic drydown, but I will try spraying myself liberally with this tomorrow and continue to do so into warmer weather and see if my mind changes as I do ultimately enjoy this violet very much.

spidola
spidola

This wonderful perfume deserves all these beautiful words that have been said about it. I should invent some new adjectives to add some…
Someone said so well – it’s like an aquarelle painting, no need of strong oil paints – the transparency makes it perfect.
More than the hours after the rain, it gives me a sensation of walking in the misty forest in spring – the air is not cold, I’m not in a hurry… this scent makes me forget about gravity and gives me the sensation of flying, just like some forest fairy…

I would like to have it one day!

In Apres l'Ondee, I was hoping I would find a fresher, more verdant version of l'Huere Blue, perfect for wearing in the spring. Instead I think I found l'Huere Blue's younger sister.

Violets remind me of youth and naivete. I'm hardly old, but wearing violets feels more awkward than shopping in the Junior's section. Apres l'Ondee is beautiful, but I wish I had found it when I was 19.

Inventress
Inventress

Many people on the Internet talk of Apres L'Ondee being a rain fragrance: to wear during such weather, to evoke a rainy garden feel, or both. I agree. Anise in the top notes begins the drizzle, slowing into a bitter and powdery facet which whispers of an oncoming thunderstorm. The downpour begins and the drenched violets release their scent, joined by iris and heliotrope in the basenotes. The floral accord mingles with a woody one, alluding to broken stems and branches for a true garden after the rain. It's a fragrance for a spring or summer day, especially for a cold one.

Although the top notes are luminous, the fast-approaching drydown is antique. Its bitter note is nothing of the interesting melancholy character like it is in Mitsouko. Only the skeleton of the fragrance remains. Too bad.

Fizzy
Fizzy

It smells heavenly in the winter, really like a summer day after rain. Lovely sweet, delicious and fresh. Sits close to the skin. Perfect for daily wearing, inoffensive in its character.
In the summer it smells strong and like old fashioned men cologne.

Deppaholic

Today was a torrential downpour all day and all night long. Guess what I reached for, yep. Apres L'Ondee. Somehow my chemistry and the rain make her twirl like a ballerina. Different notes take front stage, while the other notes pirouette in the background, until she is tired, and changes places with another performer. I must say that this fragrance is very special to wear on a continual rainy day with heavy fog hovering all over. So much fog that you cannot see the a foot in front of your face. Fog that will keep the British thinking that "nobody" would attack in such weather. But ah, General Washington knew better. The eerie fog rolled in and started our country. To me, this is the only fragrance I gravitate towards on these fog and rain infested day. It keeps me somber and well aware of my surroundings at all moments. You owe it to yourself to get a bottle and try it on such a day. You'll be happy you did.

thedashingdarlings
thedashingdarlings

Apres l'ondee is a delicate, ethereal beauty, full of light powdery flowers and a light freshness.

Unfortunately, I'm lucky to get it to last for a full 2 hours, and it sits so close to the skin as to be barely noticable. Lovely, but not worth it for me.

incrediblemelk
incrediblemelk

I love this perfume! For me it's the mood flipside of L'Heure Bleue. It's joyous and vivacious where L'Heure Bleue is melancholy and contemplative; it's a sunny afternoon rather than a cool twilight. There's a certain sweetness to it that perhaps comes from the violets. But the two perfumes are clearly related.

This is frequently compared to Oscar de la Renta Esprit d'Oscar, which I have and which I also love, but for me, Esprit d'Oscar has a sweet citrusy top note (like lemon meringue) that Après L'Ondée doesn't have. But both do seem to share a certain creaminess that I attribute to iris.

Lily2911
Lily2911

I cannot add more poetry to this real unique classic but want to share an interesting experience. The most common mournings in multiple threads are that Apres l'Ondee is an etheral beauty, meaning that sillage is very weak and that some perfumistas complain that perfume is dissapearing very fast, especially with the actual EDT version. The other fear is that this gem can get discontinuid, a nightmare for most of us.

I share these 2 common fears and I am convinced they remain in my unconsciousness somehow because very recently I discovered something amazing just by accident : I bought a very nice and cheap perfume, Iris Yardley but was not completely convinced about the overall character of the EDT, there was something missing and I found it too "metallic". My intuition told me to layer it with L'Heure Bleue EDT version and waaaaw what an outcome : it is almost identical as Apres l'Ondee !!! Of course you can never copy a masterpiece but I can assure you, it is very close : the same nostlagic beauty, that haunting nature of the dry down and the dry down is incredible, very soft but more staying power than the EDT Apres l'Ondee. It is not that surprising if you look into the fragrance pyramid : AL and HB share similar key ingredients like violet, iris, heliotrope and the Iris Yardley softens that more powdery aspect of HB wonderfully so that you obtain the same character of AL. It is worth trying, although each skin chemistry is of course different.
I will continue this layering, it becomes my signature perfume and my best assurance against the common fear that maybe one day Apres L"Ondee will dissapear from our Masterpiece Perfume Universe for good;

Jonni51
Jonni51

One of the loveliest fragrances of all time.

Just like going for a woodland walk in early spring, when some of the snow are left on the ground and the air is still cool.
The sun is setting and the sky turns into a beautiful lilac color.
Birds are chirping, and the streams are flowing with crystal clear, ice cold water.
The first violets give a bit of color and life to an otherwise bleak soil.
You sit down for a while, reflecting.
As you get back inside, you're greeted with the warm smell of freshly baked pastries and your mothers loving hug.
This is how Apres l'Ondee translates to me.

The parfum version that once existed must have been absolutely flabbergasting, because I've only smelled the new edt and it's gorgeous.
Bursting with ethereal powdery violets, a softly sweet, marzipan like heliotrope and an airy, faint anise.
The other notes stay in the shadows of these three.

The blending of the entire notes pyramid gives the effect of classic, chalky violet candies and powder. Or maybe, because of it's marvelous cool touch, a violet flavored ice cream.
I can seriously picture scoops of pastel green and purple ice cream in a crystal bowl. If I were to discover an ice cream with this flavor I would have a serious problem because I wouldn't be able to stop eating!
Not saying this is a gourmand because it definitely isn't, but this particular element of the scent is very edible to me.

Apres l'Ondee is pure, unconditional love bottled! It's emotion in a bottle..
How did Jacques do it? It's so magnificent!

Indeed similar to L'Heure Bleue, only more soft and smooth in character, and here we have a much bigger emphasis on the violet note.
Since violet is my favorite note ever, Apres l'Ondee is to me even more spectacular than it's well known, younger cousin.

This is my absolute favorite right now, along with N22 by Chanel.
Both powdery floral masterpieces, they each highlight different notes but end up forming the impression of a similarly stunning whole that's just incredibly emotion arousing.
So wonderful you don't know whether to laugh or to cry. It's borderline impossible to not get moved one way or the other! Doesn't matter either way though. In cases such as this one you just need to forget about analyzing further and simply take it all in to enjoy.
Thought you didn't like floral fragrances? Try either of these two and you might just get converted for life.

It's fall at the moment, but I cant wait til spring is back again, I bet it will be "out of this world amazing" at that time of the year!

Silage is pretty soft and lasting power isn't that great, three hours max on my skin, but in this case it's way forgiven. Lingers a bit longer if sprayed on clothes though, in that case it dries down to a soft, powdery smell that lingers, but very close to your body.

It leaves me speechless and in awe each and every time I wear it.

Comforts me like nothing else, and makes me feel like I'm drifting away while enveloped in soft purple clouds.

Sheer perfection, I will love Apres l'Ondee forever!

stacey.donovan
stacey.donovan

The first time I sampled this, I applied it too lightly, sniffed it too closely, and got a mouthful of anise and a so-so impression. I gave it a second try, splashing it on pretty liberally, and oh my goodness. This is springtime from some other realm. You know when you have a dream where you're in some place you've never been before, yet it seems completely familiar? It's like that. Amazing. But where can I buy it??

aletheaborealis
aletheaborealis

To me it's smells like earthy violets, salted iris butter, heliotropin and hawthorn blossoms crystallised with snow, sparkling in early morning light. Words can't even describe how beautiful this is, was literally rendered speechless when I first sniffed it on my wrist. It's delicate, trembling, pale and ethereal but so full of hope, grace and beauty.

Utterly in love with this work of art and the perfect
fragrance to remind you that the sun will come out after the rain :)

Airscape
Airscape

This is so lovely. It smells like being nineteen again, huddled under a Harvard Square awning in the rain, furtively sucking on Choward's Violet Mints from Leavitt & Peirce to mask the scent of the cigarettes my best friend and I used to smoke between music classes. There really is an astonishing note of rain in this one. It doesn't seem to last very long on my skin, but then again I'm not entirely certain I would want to spend too much of a day enveloped in a cloud of such tangible nostalgia. Perfect accompaniment for a rainy morning, a Bill Evans Trio record, a cup of tea and a book of short stories(or, preferably, all of the above).

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Legendary. Its structure is like that of the aurora - subtle, nuanced, restrained, and soft in structure; luminous, captivating, and dynamic in execution. It is the essence of memory, solitude, and obscurity; the ghosts of the past are painted in pastels by the frigid morning fog.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Apres l'Ondee opens with soft, dusty violets, subtle anise, which blends perfectly with violet, and a sweet, gentle feel thanks to heliotrope. As with all Guerlains there's a subtle floral/herbal blend which gives depth.

In Apres l'Ondee the effect is perfectly balanced between sweet, soft, warm and savoury - there's nothing sweet/candy-like about the violets, it's just pretty.

Although it's light, it does have silage and is very lasting. The iris/orris and ylang become more prominent into the heart notes and it has that slightly old-fashioned make-up compact note that you'd expect from a vintage style Guerlain.

It's the Bulgari Femme of its day - a light, warm, easily wearable perfume for women that feels gentle, elegant and pretty, but where Femme overdoses somewhat on violet, Apres l'Ondee is balanced, so the whole is more than the sum of its parts.

Soignee
Soignee

On me, this was a non-perfume. It opened with a brief whiff of dusty iris. After a while it developed into an unpleasant old, dusty spices scent. But thankfully within an hour, it vanished.

I really wanted to like this perfume, but on me it was an unpleasant mess. A big disappointment.

wallywinthrop
wallywinthrop

My partial occupation as an unpaid museum intern (to get my foot in the door) comes in handy: to properly appreciate the scents of Jacques Guerlain, particularly this one and L'Heure Bleue, you must remember he loved the works of art of the Impressionists, who sought above all to capture moods and moments rather than dramatically depict history or legend. As other reviewers have stated, the inspiration of those painters is illustrated in Apres L'Ondee, a delicate and ethereal mix of violet, heliotrope, anise and fennel. Rather than a queen's bouquet, this is a garden after the rain, delicate violets augmenting the almost bready odor of iris and intensified with humidity. This is very very much like L'Heure Bleue but without the gourmand vanilla and orange blossom to give it the genius melancholy and gourmand feel. I agree that it is romantic and lovely, and I'm indeed sad about its lack of availability and possible discontinuation altogether. And make no mistake, when others have said this is ephemeral they weren't kidding - it stays close to the skin and burns off quickly. I am reminded of Faust, saying 'Linger awhile, you are so fair' - but no mood lasts forever. I splurged some of my puny waitress salary on two bottles that I saw by chance on Amazon and will be treasuring them.
P.S. I was lucky enough to test the vintage parfum and the violet and fennel are more intense in that version, as is the iris. But the EDT is still a masterpiece!

SeverinaSerizy
SeverinaSerizy

Delicate, light almoust a non existing odour. Some nostagic powdery soapy beautiful iris. First impressions is something reminiscent of beeing at the dentist? Green but not bitter. Minty bot not exacktly fresh or clean either... Anyone else getting that? Maybe im not cultivated enough....
To me this is a very non sexy scent. Romantic yes. Sexy absolutly not.

leathermountain
leathermountain

This is the one. Not a signature; I am way too inquisitive (promiscuous) for that. But it's still the one. The one that showed me the complete joy of perfume, the one I always come home to. If you haven't used much perfume, get some now. If you have, see if you can approach Après L'Ondee with the open heart of a beginner.

frugalwitch
frugalwitch

Oh my paws and whiskers is this ever beautiful! Love at first sniff, I will definately buy more of this scent.

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

it is a unique perfume indeed, the burst of flower with transition to classy smells..some might misconstrued during the transition it produces a smell of stomach medicine..to me admittedly it is similar but so does the smell after the rain which is not strong...i feel this is a classic honest to the end smell....

Henriette

I've already written a review time ago about this beauty. I think the world must scream aloud how wonderful this scent is.
I've been using it (together with many others, let's confess) for years and years. Old version, new formula, reformulated, original, whatever.
Well, this is a beauty. Period.
Was it better in its original formulation? Maybe.
Is it a masterpiece today, with restrictions on allergens, limitations of natural ingredients? Definitely, without the palest doubt.
So?
So, go and find a bottle and use and love it. And be sophisticated, elegant, classy, merry, wonderful as this scent is!

evesoho
evesoho

After a couple days of sunshine and spring jacket weather, it's been pouring rain all day here, and it isn't warm. There are even still small patches of snow on the ground. I thought that maybe Diorissimo would help things to feel more cheery as I worked from home today... but no, this is the weather for which Apres L'Ondee was made. It's such a relief; comforting, energizing, ethereal yet natural. Guerlain has created a legendary perfume that is both aromatherapy and art.

On a sunny day in autumn, I layer this over Yardley April Violets talcum powder (now I smell Victorian, lol!). It keeps the sweetness of summer alive, and softens the idea that it's over...

Apres L'Ondee lives in my heart, it's my perfect dream when I need one. And this is coming from someone who can't stand anise on its own! I tried to drink a cup of licorice tea, once, bad experience.... Apres L'Ondee is the only time I can tolerate anise, and here I even love it because I wouldn't alter this an iota!

An old-fashioned perfume, it really suits poetic afternoons indoors escaping rain and reading Elizabeth Barret Browning, but it can be a great compliment to a woman going out who is really well put together, sensual and shining. Literally shining, because the subtle density and old-fashioned-ness of Apres L'Ondee can be enigmatic if contrasted by modern, metallic dress. It isn't an "office scent" (shudder) because it's romantic and a bit wild (violets are an abundant wildflower where I live). I wear it with a statement piece of jewelry that's modern and gold (huge, plain cuff, an oversized medallion, or gold chain belt), and some pretty, shimmery makeup that isn't applied too lightly, metallic or patent leather heels, with soft curls in my hair. I wear a gold top, or a top that has includes gold prominently, something current, super-stylish and eyecatching. You could wear a cute hat with this! A black fedora pulled down over one eye! In any case, my advice is that you don't dress to blend in when you wear this, if you're going out. You can follow my lead with the metallics, or you could go your own way and be gothic, for example, which would also work. But Apres L'Ondee is distinct in today's world, and I think a hint of nostalgia is all one needs to make a lasting impression.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

Oh ,my...this is the mother of all violets! Magnificent! To start, I must agree with everyone that this is violets in the rain. But this is my view...The day is barely coming to light,the bluish purple colors of dawn. A misty steady rain is falling turning the world melancholic. The tiny violets turn their heads to the soil, drenched by the the rain. Suddenly, as quickly as the rain came, the clouds part, the sun comes out, and the little delicate violets rise up with renewed strength, glittering like diamonds from the raindrops. Woodland animals emerge from their cover to bask in this beauty.

It's magical...what a delight! I smell the violets the most, but the iris and heliotrope give this such a wonderful purple aura. I must have this enchanted historical delight...
Bravo to Guerlain for putting April and May in a bottle!;)

This had to have been a favorite on every edwardian maiden's dressing table when it came out...
Such a romantic and beautiful era. I can just imagine...she is sitting at her dressing table applying her powders, wearing her corrsette and lovely purple gown made of beautiful silks and taffeta, matching hat made with feathers, she applies Apres L' Ondee behind each ear and in her cleavage. I can imagine Kate Winslet wearing this on the Titantic, so romantic.

I can also imagine the great Sarah Bernhardt wearing for one of her magnificent performances on screen.

xrayer
xrayer

I had such high expectations for this and eagerly awaited the arrival of my sample last week. The first spray was underwhelming and to me smelt of mossy wet grass with a slight underlying sweetness. I was terribly disappointed but only minutes later it truly blossomed into the gorgeous soft powdery floral that many others have mentioned. It is light but does have real depth and presence. It reminds me slightly of Balenciaga Paris, I would guess that is the violet note. I am totally enthralled and enchanted by this fragrance and will now be doing my absolute best to track it down. I also love the history and the other worldliness of this perfume, this is the first fragrance I have encountered on my foray into the fragrance world that has made me really believe that perfumery is an art form. This is a true bonafide masterpiece.

Edit: hallelujah!! I have found it, I have brought it, it is on its way to me!! Am indescribably happy to be adding this beauty to my collection.

maelleinrome
maelleinrome

Yes, this is surely a masterpiece...but it doesn't work with my skin chemistry, at all!!! :( How I wanted to smell those beautiful flowers (violet, iris, heliotrope: my favourite floral notes!!!), kissed by the sun after a spring thunderstorm... Instead, all I can smell is the odor of a dental office, really!!! Too much of anise, I guess. The edt has a poor lasting power, too :(

sofiebgoode
sofiebgoode

On a train journey to italy last spring, I was wearing a LOT of this. Really, a LOT. And I suddenly got whiffs of something like Rem de Reminiscence, but better (I love Rem though). More balanced and natural. Acutually too good to be true, too good to be perfume. It smelled like grassy dunes by the sea. And I suddenly thought, this is the mother of all aquatics.

french_cactus
french_cactus

The only perfume (really, out of everything I owned and tried till now) that I spray a bit on my pyjama before going to bed.
All others are just "perfumes" -- very great ones and I am very happy to have them on me during the day/evening time, when I am conscious and can process perfumes with my brain. This one is undescribably different.

antfarm
antfarm

This was very beautiful, delicate, and melancholic for the half hour that it lasted on my skin. Little trembling purple flowers in the rain being pelted by huge cold drops. So precious and vulnerable.

Lovelolitalempicka
Lovelolitalempicka

At first smell my unintelligent nose got only the memory of old ladies in fur pelts nd powdered wigs, and I wanted to barf. Then I sniffed again and as the old woman soap idea dissipated and the perfume developed I wanted to climb into a cloud of this scent and fly away on it. I love how complex this is, how it contains a multitude of smells and then sometimes just kisses you with it's citrus juiciness. It's fresh and sweet at the same time. And almost indescribable, at least to me. I want to eat it. If its true they're discontinuing I will go off and buy two bottles right now. .

Kiku
Kiku

Apres L'Ondee -- French for "after the rain". And no perfume has ever captured that enchanting moment better: warm and slightly sweet, so clean, so fresh. It is the aftermath of a spring rain captured in a bottle. Who else but Guerlain could have blended violets and licorice(or is it anise?) into such a charming whole? But, alas, heartbreak -- Apres L'Ondee has been discontinued for the USA market and there are rumors that Guerlain is going to discontine the scent all together. Have a good cry then buy a bottle and a back up before this little gem disappears all together.

Deppaholic

To the lady who hates reading reviews...haha...I'll keep it short. LOVE THIS! I don't think it smells quite as potent as LHB. Very light and fresh. End of review :)

Matt Oldham

Tried the new: still great. Exactly the same minus the heliotrope. Not as good but it's so far ahead of the vast majority of perfumes that it's still one of the top ten. Death by iris.

Zito87
Zito87

Apres L'Ondee is divine, smells heavenly, like something spiritual.

jacoanna
jacoanna

I tried it during the summer and I did not like. Tried again now, with the first rains, I have to admit that it is beautiful, comforting, enveloping, comforting. It fits well, therefore, to the wet weather, cloudy, sad and nostalgic of September, as the name suggests to me. I have just a decant, I'm looking for a bottle. If someone swap it let me know please, thanks!

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I just tried my decant of vintage Apres L'Ondee and it was love at first smiff. There are no words to describe such a delicate yet fully composed fragrance. You can smell each delicate flower and the basenotes but it all comes together so perfectly that what you retain is this wonderful image of a beautiful garden of lilies and violets with little raindrops on them and on the lovely blue irises. And of course there is a little girl in a white linen dress picking a flower. That's what this perfume evokes for me- childhood memories of flowers after the rain in all their soft beauty. A bottle is in my future.

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

I have now tested this twice, always in great hope that my opinion might change in accordance to the abundance of positive reviews it generates. I do "get" the spring garden after rain, damp leaves, dew, mist, sprinkling summer shower and all sort of like images coming to mind. It reminds me of an 18th century victorian garden in a manor, post spring rain shower, where a subdued and faint mist resides from where water meets earth, flowers, trees, twigs, etc. in a harmonious fulfilling dance with mother nature. I imagine for lovers of this scent, it is as comforting as lying on a hammock on a verandah overlooking a pretty green garden of freesia, peonies, violets and ferns whilst the last of afternoon shower spills from tree leaves into the wet soil. It epitomises what fresh rain smells like. But for me it's just too light and not compelling enough. My thoughts are that it is a gem for those that are fond of gentle scents - ones that settle as lightly as a mist or lovely breeze. It's powdery and whispery. I like bolder scents, and preferably with an added twist, mystery, daring, or edge. And for me, I just do not get the bite I need from this frag. It is gentle, modest, light and feathery. And just like a feather it floats down softly, and it nudges you with a whisper in your ear of a tale of mother nature's mystical raindance. Nice, and not without it's nuances, but not a major hitter for me. I think I would be a fan of this if it had a bit more "oomph" and presence though.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

this is simply the bee's knees! I got a sample of the old formula and am also waiting for my blind buy new formula and i'm crossing my fingers it won't be too much of a difference as i am in love with the vintage already. It's pale and delicate violets, violets all the way! it's soft, powdery, dewy sweetness. And thankfully lasts way better than the Penhaligon's Violetta and more fresh, less powdery than the Penhaligon's. Don't disregard this. This isn't just a violet soliflore, it's a whole lot of lady.

amanita68
amanita68

Apres l'ondee, what a classic beauty, soft, gentle, uplifting, adorable and absolutely the best and the first, the last, the everything in her class.

Just spray a little to your left, to your right and add a little to the center and inhale. The fragrance is so light and delicious, you could raise your arms and float away on the exquisite, delghtful, airy scents of weightless herbs and soft, floaty violets.

She is understated, but persistent in her beauty, always gentle, never overpowering, subtle in sillage, but stays with you all day long like a soft fluffy cloud inviting you to float on her anytime you wish.

Imagine that lovely painting with the beautiful lady in a long white dress with the parasol surrounded by soft flowers and be her, be there!

Jellybean
Jellybean

Vintage violets in a bottle. Resins, spice and white flowers as the background players. The scent is vintage and fresh; one awesome potion in a bottle. I find it fresher and more of a white floral type in comparison to L'heure Bleue.
One of G's besties!

farceuse
farceuse

It was my third wearing of Apres l'Ondee that I fell in love with it. The first two times, I sprayed lightly and kept cramming my nose to my wrist to smell it, and I got the too-powdery effect. That was my mistake: I was too aggressive with this perfume, and this perfume is not at all compatible with aggressiveness.

Third wearing, I put it on and forgot about it for a while, but several times during the day the scent wafted up, presenting itself like a precious gift, and instantly transported me to the most tranquil and dreamlike place -- a centering effect, a spiritual reminder that grace is one's natural state of being....

There are no hard edges here. Nothing strident, and for that reason it isn't for everyone. It whispers.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

ok, so I gave in and bought this beauty...blind...
I must say on the first sniff I thought 'nooooo aniseed aarrgghh' and it smelt quite medicinal, like a dilute cough drops and gaviscon lol
But I must say I like the dry down very much. It's lilacy and very delicate and classy, I guess almost like a violet/lilac infused water. Similar to a very watered down version of Balenciaga Paris.
I have never smelt the original so can't compare but I would hope the longevity of the original was better as this EDT has evaporated into thin air from my wrists after not even an hour. And that is a terrible shame, bearing the cost in mind. Still, it is a very delicate romantic scent but I do prefer Mitsuoko which has a much better longevity and projection.

Edit:
I found this works better when layered with Hermes Hiris...yes yes I know two expensive rare scents together...but somehow they work and combined together they seem to last longer as longevity of both of them separately is dire.

delilahcat
delilahcat

This is a fantastic fragrance, i can really smell the violets and heliotrope, its lovey and sweet but not overly so. The other notes are so well sculpted its hard to pick them out, instead you get a smooth cloud of classic Guerlain genius! Unfortanely through the reformulations it has become a bit one layered and aneamic but it is still so unique and unusual that it is well worth a notice!

rorygory
rorygory

Certain scents are difficult to explain but easily inspire the adjectives "breathtaking" and "heartbreaking." Après L'Ondée is one of these scents. Gaia, the Non-Blonde describes smelling Après L'Ondée in parfum "like entering a dream. It can be familiar, like a memory you can't quite place but you know you've been there, maybe in your subconsciousness."

Like any other art form, at its finest perfume can convey a distinct idea or emotion. The more complex the idea, the more moving the artwork. Après L'Ondée means "after the rain shower," and between the floral, herbal, earthy, and watery notes, it literally translates as a garden after the rain. Yet there is something more to this scent, that inspires consistently more romantic reviews. At its debut, La Liberté said it had "something of the melancholy of a poet's thoughts." (Monsieur Guerlain). Turin's review is also full of dark metaphors, describing the base accord as a "funeral", but for the fact that "Guerlain suffuses the whole thing with optimistic sunlight by using, as in so many of their classic fragrances, a touch of what a chef would call bouquet de Provence: thyme, rosemary, sage. This discreet hint of earthly pleasures is what makes Après L'Ondée smile through its tears."

Après L'Ondée does smile through its tears, for the scent of the earth following the rain parallels a feeling of calm after the passing of grief. The sadness behind Après L'Ondée makes the beautiful notes all the more real, precious, and poignent. This scent brings you deep within your own reflections. It is undoubtably one of the greatest perfumes ever made.

jgirgar
jgirgar

I found this by chance this past weekend and tried it. This is a gorgeous fragrance. I wore this on one side of my arm while wearing 31 Rue Cambon on the other side. After a few hours I can definitely say they are very difficult to tell apart. Not sure about the price point, but 31RC did outlast ALO. Plus, 31RC was a tad deeper/woodier. Perhaps if you want a more subtle 31RC choose ALO. JG 042312

Matt Oldham

I bought an older bottle and the quality of the iris root is incredible. The best I've ever smelled. I'm just not a fan of heliotrope though. Makes me think of scented baby products. I've been trying my hardest to get into, but so far I can't. Luckily I'm obsessed with iris root so I'm thrilled with it anyway.

Pari88
Pari88

Magical!! So lovely. This perfume has touched my heart. There is a slight sweetness to this that tones down the aromatic spicy and floral notes. It is the perfect scent for spring awakening It is pretty expensive but absolutely worth it. Very well mixed fragrance and is a diamond in the rough of all the other violet/iris/heliotrope fragrances out there. This is truly feminine and grounded; but not grounded in a "green, earthy, hippie" sense, more of a balance between the material world and the spiritual. It also has a calming effect which I love. This one is unique that you can not really fully compare it to any other perfume. I love this so much. Every feminine soul should have this. For lovers of Violet, Iris & Heliotrope this is an absolute must. Next on my list, L'Heure Bleue.
Update: after trying L'heure bleue, they are very similiar, although I find Apres L Ondee to be more pleasant, cheerful, and lighter on the heliotrope. It is more airy and feminine and it does not have the musty pumpkin pie smell that LHB has. The violet makes this one so much more lovely. I would say this one is great for a signature, and can be worn on all occasions, and LHB is slightly melancholic, and a mood specific fragrance.

Troodos
Troodos

I know the reviews and reputation add to the pressure for this perfume but I really do love it. It was bought for me as a present by my partner when I found out I was pregnant with our daughter and i find the scent really fitting. It has a delicate air to it, a vulnerability that fits for a woman at a time like this and yet is so pretty and sweet and beautiful that this vulnerability is matched with a beautiful strength. I really can't believe it was formulated so long ago as I feel it could be launched now and feel edgy and contemporary. A well deserved reputation I think.

cryptic
cryptic

This lovely gem has been reviewed so many times (and beautifully) that I hope I can add an anecdote instead.

Years ago, my mother and I went to see the Nutcracker on a snowy winter day. My mother wore a beautiful coat with a black velvet collar that set off her red hair to perfection, and Apres l'Ondee. You wouldn't think that a scent which epitomizes spring would be a good fit in this situation, but it turned out to be inspired. As a practical matter, a delicate scent like Apres l'Ondee is perfect for the close confines of a theater, but it also provided the perfect olfactory backdrop to the ballet. The Nutcracker is so ethereal and magical, as is Apres l'Ondee, that experiencing them together has left them forever connected in my mind. When I wear ALO, I always find myself humming the Waltz of the Flowers, and it fits. My mother always did know best :)

ESTERA_Gabriela
ESTERA_Gabriela

I just love this perfume. I bought it last week in Paris, directly from Guerlain, on Champs Elizee. I fell instantly in love with the chic boutique, it is a woman's paradise.
Apres L'ondee takes me back in time, in a victorian garden after a quick shower, I am picking violets and jasmin in the sun...

Scarlette
Scarlette

A very lovely, adorable scent, but way too soft for the likes of me! Violets after the rain, very demure and innocent, so it doesn't suit me at all! HA HA!

I prefer the sweetened-up-"roided"-up version, Insolence eau de Parfum.

tonkabeany
tonkabeany

An unadulterated masterpiece in the discontinued parfum form and available on ebay NOW! - If only I had the money.

padraiginrua
padraiginrua

This lives up to the hype. I can't get over how soft and enveloping this scent is. I wouldn't wear this to work or to a black tie function but it seems perfect for cuddling and watching a movie in sweats with hubby or a romantic night out. Such a perfect fragrance.

Terese2
Terese2

What a beautiful and strange scent. It is so delicate and feminine it seems freakish in our culture.

It surrounds me in a veil of violet with a tinge of anise and a background of green. But its effect on me is not what-my-perfume-smells-like. Instead I am transported to a place where gentleness feels, well, normal. I am temporarily suspended from curse words and bourbon straight. This is an olfactory vacation from a hard-scrabble culture. It doesn't make me feel sexier, merely more feminine - in the finest sense. There is an internal stillness, a kindness, a peace. I spray a bit on, breathe deep, and let someone else win the rat race today.

This juice is lovely, heartbreakingly lovely.

cherubkiss
cherubkiss

A truly beautiful perfume. that gives you a feeling of total peace. There is something in this perfume that calms you. It really does smell of a garden after the rain. A heavenly garden that makes you feel truly special to have and to smell this adorable fragrance.

nevern te republic
nevern te republic

this deserves more people wearing it give it some love try it out on a scale of 1 to 100 im giving it 56 its really good but im a man and cant get away with this overall scent on an elementary grading scale i will have to say:

scent:B

tricciwoo
tricciwoo

Love this one,so romantic, and soft.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Violets, heliotrope, ylang-ylang, and anise combine to create a soft, sweet violet that actually smells like a flower, not a bottle of powder. It doesn’t have that sour off-note that quite a few violet and iris-themed scents do. It’s mythical violets as they were meant to be, the violet archetype if you will. To me, there’s a leather note along with the flowers, probably created by the combination of violet and mimosa, but that just lends substance to the delicate little flowers.

Initially, the sillage is tremendous, but as the scent dries down it backs off a little to the moderate range. For an EdT, it’s quite strong. It lasts 4 or 5 hours on skin, gradually fading away in a more or less linear fashion.

With an iconic fragrance like Apres l’Ondée, there is so much legend surrounding it that one can hardly help being influenced by the interpretations of others. In this light, I can see all of the classic interpretations, even though this may be a reformulated version.

It’s hard for me to think about whether I would perceive Apres l'Ondee as representing flowers and vegetation after a storm, whether it would seem wistful, melancholy, ambiguously happy/sad, and all of the other things that I’ve heard about it if it were a blind test without prior knowledge of what others think. I believe I might perceive all of these things, depending on my mood at the time, but I might also just perceive it as a nice, natural-smelling, candied violets and leather scent with a slightly vintage vibe. Speaking of vintage, for a perfume that was created over 100 years ago, this seems surprisingly modern in feel in many respects. In any case, it’s one of those must-try classics.

Henriette

Many years ago I read about this scent in one of my mother's magazines and it was described as "an Impressionist Perfume". In the words of Jacques Guerlain the attempt was to recreate the scent of a garden after a huge pouring rain.
Many years after, and after long searches, I could finally first try and then buy this miracle bottled. For me Jacques Guerlain is the perfumer among the Guerlain dynasty with the greatest gift for creating not scents but sensations, emotions, feelings. All of his creations talks to the heart in a way or another.
Aprés l'Ondée is truly Impressionist in the way Manet's, Degas's, Monet's paintings are: they do not describe people or landscapes as they are, they give you the emotion of what the artists want to convey. Aprés l'Ondés is a garden under a huge rainpour where you smell the flowers drowned in the rain with the grass and the earth woken up from their sleep.
Every time I see a bottle of this magic scent I buy one. It's so rare that one can't miss the opportunity when one can be seen.
The flowers are delicate as if they were trying to shelter from the rain inside your skin. They walk with you, they live with you. I can't imagine of any other scent having the same magic power.

jasmayer
jasmayer

I appreciate the softness and cleanness of this fragrance, but it disappears on my skin extremely quickly. It also unfortunately reminds me of the scent of Palmolive dishwashing liquid, which is a scent I always liked, but don't want for my perfume. Please don't hate me for being so tacky!

*sophi*
*sophi*

I can't stand reading reviews(if it is called review a sentence which says about the staying power only) based on a decanted sample .This is a masterpiece of Jacques Guerlain stood by a century time and worn and loved by million of ladies!
This is pure heaven in a bottle and it stays on me six hours plus.
It's wet flowers of violet drawing of the first rays of sun early in the morning.You can feel the velvet touch and smell the freshness of them !

michali
michali

I was so happy to get a sample after
reading the reviwes
What a disappointment,
it was gone from my skin in a second.
I must get a vintage one to enjoy the masterpiece.

lindy-fay
lindy-fay

What a masterpiece! I totally agree with Cedericeccentric that it somehow got a unisex quality to it. I know it`s not listed as a note, but on my skin I can smell something that reminds me strongly of angelica and nettle. Maybe it`s the cassia and carnation? Anyway, to me this is similar with L´heure blue in a way, only lighter and with prominent green notes/herbs to it. I picture an upper-class, tomboyish woman in England during the 1920`s. On a resort overlooking the sea she`s taking tennis classes, much more of a sporty type than her sisters who are occupied with polite conversations inside. She`s casual but elegant, wearing Apres L`Ondee to feel fresh.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This was a very delicate floral, more a violet fragrance than anything else. It had a nice anise note shimmering over the violet, making it interesting and the orris root gave it a slight earthy feel. This smells like a garden full of violets after rain. It is feminine, gentle and one of a kind, but I did not love it as I hoped I would.

cedriceccentric
cedriceccentric

I just bought a new bottle of Après L'Ondée edt 2 days ago. I have to admit, it has been a while since I wore it, but I feel something has changed in the formula. Maybe it's just my nose...
Though I always felt ALO had somewhat of a unisex quality I didn't recall it to be that spicy and woody. Is it the carnation? Because I find that the carnation in L'Air du Temps to be also much spicier than it used to. Further more I get a vintage Soir de Paris vibe I didn't associate with ALO before either.

Never de less Après L'Ondée still smells as nostalgic as ever. Like in the Woody Allen movie "Midnight in Paris", this perfume has the magical ability to transport you back to the Paris of the Belle Epoque.

I read somewhere that after an article appeared in a Japanse fashion magazine for men, Après L'Ondée became somewhat of a cult fragrance with dandies over there. Apparently the fragrance reminds them of the iris leave bath ceremony performed on Children's Day festival of their youth.

MizLiz
MizLiz

I wore Apres l'Ondee when I was a debutante at the Pierre Hotel in New York (long story there....I'm not from a rich family, I just made all the right friends). I looked at the white, fluffy dress I was to wear for the ball, and Apres l'Ondee seemed the perfect choice to match it. It is very light, especially in the EdT form, but this is a Guerlain perfume, so there is depth and richness in its lightness, like a many-layered chiffon gown. Here the layers are mimosa, heliotrope, violet, iris, and about a dozen others. Yet the composition is as lightweight as gauze, even in the vintage extrait version. One of my all-time favorites.

krmarich
krmarich

Once Upon A Time-there was a brilliant violet perfume that captured the heart of the modern perfume world. This was the calling card of what was to come. Jacques Guerlain produced this with little fanfare. Its bottle is an Art Nueveau mastepiece, highly sought after by collectors today.

Its contents are the sheer genius of Guerlain. 1906 ws the age of perfume innocence. This now rare formula is hard to find today. What a shame. It echos our childhood with the violet and delicate spring floral bouquet. Graceful and feminine, it is the perfect first perfume.

Mine was a generous decant from Natalie-thank you so much!

Anybody looking for a light, gentle and heavenly floral fragrance should definitely smell Apres L'Ondée. This "piece of art" from the past century can be considered as one of the greatest, if not the best, creations in its genre. A delicate, almost fragile, composition made of heliotrope, violette and iris that gently touches your skin as a slim and smooth female's hand and sings to your ears a sad but reassuring melody with a faint voice that's almost a whisper. The usual Guerlain's baritone chorus (vanilla / musk / amber) is there to add consistency and depth to this very ethereal melody, but it's drastically muted to leave space to the celestial solo voice.

Apres L'Omdée is tremendously familiar, comfortable, reliable. Someone says it smells like clean skin, someone else associates it with his / her mother's smell, a beloved aunt, talcum powder, childhood, romance...As a matter of fact Apres L'Ondée is a smell that everybody knows, consciously or unwittingly. Mandatory!

"Luxury is something pretty and discreet. Luxury must not be something brash".

alicerombi
alicerombi

I got It this morning and I could't belive it!
I wanted It so much...I found It really unusual without being ungentle...It's definitely my favourite!

shenanigans
shenanigans

A true lady with impeccable manners. Very gentle without losing it's presence. I cannot imagine an occasion where this would not be appropriate. Absolutley gorgeous.

Angel10
Angel10

Smells very similar to l'Heure Bleue, except it is more fragile. Does NOT last on my skin.

greydove
greydove

I really love it! Sweet, Victorian violets, and something open, fresh and watery; I picture a refined lady from the Belle Epoque. There's definitely a bottle in my future somewhere... The only thing I don't like is the typical oily, musky, animalic drydown which all vintage Guerlains seem to have on me. I love the opening and the first 1/2 hour, but then I just feel dirty, like I need to bath. I will say that this fusty, musty smell humanizes Guerlain's older fragrances. They are the complete opposite of the loud abrasive chemical fragrances of today. Although I don't like the sillage I present with this fragrance after a period of time, I can appreciate the organic- as opposed to synthetic- philosophy behind it.

UPDATE: The sample I tried over a year ago was the extrait which is extremely animalic (at least for me) in the drydown. I now have the EDT which is lighter, fresher, perhaps a bit more tame, but still wonderful. I can't imagine a more lovely violet. This is the one.

Αλεξάνδρα
Αλεξάνδρα

I spray it on my hair. First on my wrists (I need to constantly smell this beauty), then my neck, and finally my hair, because it stays longer like that. It's the first perfume that gives me the delicate spicy note of wild carnations- however this is not the prominent note; violets are. So true and magnificent. Then I get something like moss, while roses and anise create a beautiful accord. This is a festival of top quality ingredients, far from any synthetic mainstream imitations. Like walking within red, pink, and violet flowers, glistening in the sunbeams, after a summer rain. A fragile, ethereal beauty- her life is short, but she's so poetic, and while you are in the open air, you inhale a masterpiece.

If I could encapsulate it in a phrase I would choose this:
"The death of a beautiful woman, is unquestionably the most poetical topic in the world."
Edgar Allan Poe

MaryG
MaryG

Aprés L’Ondee starts with a burst of spicy carnation, anise, orange blossom and lots of iris. The heart and base settles into a gentle powder of more iris, violet, a hint of vanilla and vetiver. The orange blossom also remains throughout, adding a gorgeous freshness to the whole composition. It is a beautifully green and earthy floral, giving the sensation of standing in a wet flower garden. The amazing thing about AL is that it triggers memories of a simpler time - childhood, pure nature and peacefulness. It is oh so gentle, but very powerful in its statement.

AL immediately sets a quieter mood - I sprayed it on this morning, fresh out of the shower and was amazed how it managed to slow me down and become more reflective. I would not recommend AL for a day of energetic activity, but save it for precious alone time or for relaxing getaways in the countryside.

AL is perfection, but I wish it carried slightly stronger sillage and longevity. I’m sure this fragrance is out of this world in pure parfum, as those moments I get to enjoy it in the edt are amazing – heaven and earth combined.

delphine67
delphine67

I have tested this perfume today and after aplying I can smell the violet and anise or you can say minty note. Then their is the note that I dont like. The ylang ylang is to prominent on my skin and made me a bit nauseous. So this perfume is not for me.

TillyWave
TillyWave

The reviews are praise for this scent are like no other. I don't think that there is a perfume that is so widely loved and praised, yet so completely unavailable.

What you can find is the EDT, and even that is extremely expensive and elusive. So, I ordered a 2.5 mL EDT sample from the Perfumed Court.

I got the violets, but they were weak and almost perhaps dead, as if at the end of summer. In contrast, to say, the shimmering field of violets that I visualize when I use something like "Pour Femme," this was disappointing indeed. The violets mostly disappear, and then I have a sort of grassy-vaguely flat floral heart that is distantly reminiscent of "Chamade" but not nearly as good. The base is a vanilla wood that doesn't do much of anything. Lasting power is poor, this all happens in about 2 hours.

To be honest if I didn't know that it was Apres l'Ondee I wouldn't have like it much at all. I guess the hype gets into your head after awhile.

My guess is that my sample is either old, or hasn't been stored well, or that the EDT just isn't up to standard with other concentrations. It's too bad that such a highly loved scent is discontinued, because now I'll never get to experience how wonderful this could be. At any rate I'm glad I only got a sample and didn't do something rash like bidding $150 for a bottle on Ebay.

cloyd42
cloyd42

My first smell of this perfume carried my back 15 years and across the Atlantic to Florence on one the worst days of my life. I was there on business and grimly miserable since my marriage had just broken up and it was a coppery hot July day in a place I didn't want to be. To make things better a heavy rain opened up and drenched me to the skin. I dashed into a museum that turned out to be the home of Dante Alighieri. I walked through that fine home loathing myself for not loving his city that he pined for in exile. The misery increased until I became teary and snuffly. I ultimately ended up in an arcade on the top floor looking out over the old city. At some point the rain stopped and the sky cleared to that lovely grey-white that I've only seen in Italy. That's when I realized that my nose was being flooded by orange blossom and geranium in tubs and pots, that in that light were the most intense red and white I'd ever experienced. Within seconds I'd reached a place of serenity that I hadn't felt for years.

Thus the power of scent and the necessity of perfume.

This may be the best orange blossom I've ever experienced in a bottle. The violet is there but it somehow purifies and intensifies the orange. The carnation is subtle and the iris is purple. If I stroke my wrist hard I get a delightful mint that is probably a dry anise. Even the EDT is absolutely intoxicating. If you love great florals you should seek this out.
Sillage: medium
Durability: good so far
Fabulosity: heaven may be located in this bottle
Price to value ratio: the pearl of great price

Lady Love
Lady Love

(Edt Review)

This is l'heure violette!!

Is all about wet and delicate ethereal violets, with that nostalgic feeling which Guerlian re-used for l'heure bleue, but Apres l'Ondee is not as heavy, and doesn't last much. It's funny but the most beautiful things in life doesn't last long either, so I dont feel sorry or disappointed by Apres l'Ondee. Another Outstanding masterpiece from Guerlain.

Natalie467
Natalie467

The softest and gentlest fragrance, a beauty! There's a bit of a blast at first spritz with the citrus and bergamot and a hint of anise-that doesn't bother me in the least. Slowly dries down into powdery and dewy florals of violets and then the coolest vanilla emerges. The vanilla base really strikes me as cool, not cold, like a chilly, unexpected breeze in the spring.

Apres l'Ondee doesn't make me want to lounge around and reflect on things like L'heure Bleue does, it's more of a dreamy romantic scent, it's more positive, it puts a smile on my face.

weegee
weegee

I love violets, TRULY love them, combined with just about anything, actually, and thought I'd never run into a fragrance that was just too much violet, but that day has arrived.

Like harlequin, I was deeply saddened to discover this respected beauty likes neither my skin nor my nose, after a promising, even glorious first 15 minutes. In fact, the first 15 minutes would make me part with Big Money if I happened to be testing it at the perfume counter and made a snap decision, but that would be a dire mistake.

After 15 minutes all I get is tinned violet candy, sugar and baby powder... the people I was with while wearing it yesterday actually wrinkled their noses when they asked what it was. Talk about having the wind taken out of my sails, wow! I knew after those 15 minutes that it wasn't something I'd ever wear again but I didn't think I really smelled bad to other people's noses.

None of the gorgeous basenotes appear when I wear Apres l'Ondee, and certainly no anise (another of my favorites that nearly makes me drool, as in Aimez-Moi, a true violet wonder.) Actually, there's not one single note in Apres l'Ondee that I don't enjoy in other fragrances... so why doesn't this Grand Dame like me?

I've made no secret of the fact that I detest the use of "old lady" to describe a fragrance, and I certainly won't use it here, but in Apres l'Ondee I've finally run into a a fragrance that I think I'm still waaaaay too young to wear. In fact, my Apres l'Ondee experience was a spot-on impersonation of my great aunt's sacheted hankie box, one with a hinged lid that was covered in a quilted satin material.

I can only hope to encounter this beauty on other people. And I'll do the world a favor and not wear it myself.

oona noir
oona noir

This is a truly glorious perfume! On my skin, the notes play gently like notes on a piano- or like rain gently falling against a window. There is nothing cluttered or muddy about this scent at all. I find it elegant, simple, intellectual, and introspective. A real pity it is so hard to find in the US these days. :(

At one point I was indiscriminately adding every Guerlain creation to my "want" list. Well, that practice came to a screeching halt after my blunderous blind buy of a 100ml bottle of the eminently unwearable (on my skin..) INSOLENCE. However, APRES L'ONDEE made the cut: already on the list. And now, thanks, to generous fragrantican lulia, who sent me a spray atomizer decant "juste comme cela", I can affirm that this gorgeous beauty belongs on the list!

APRES L'ONDEE strikes a balance between classic Guerlain--which to some people is unapproachable, inaccessible, or just too demanding to wear--and Guerlain's recent attempts (with debatable success...) to cater to just that crowd. Although this composition was created in the early twentieth century by the master himself, it captures the floral Guerlain essence without the incumbrance of all of the heavy artillery that comes with L'HEURE BLEUE and SHALIMAR, both of which are decidedly more oriental--and blue--than APRES L'ONDEE.

To my nose, APRES L'ONDEE is all about purple flowers: violet, iris, heliotrope--an abundance of royalty is here on display. The violet is the most dominant note to my nose, and here it has not been destroyed by the admixture of candied raspberries and plastic. No, this is voluptuous violet as it was meant to be, naturally sweet, and altogether unadulterated by scary molecules synthesized in organic chemistry labs. This is breathtaking violet in all its abundant simplicity.

Iris and heliotrope play supporting roles in what is a bouquet with the characteristic powdery Guerlain texture and lightly vanilla-ized scent but without the intense notes which can make other Guerlain classics difficult to wear.

APRES L'ONDEE remains on my wish list! Thank you lulia for sharing this wonder with me!!!!!

Contessa01
Contessa01

I can see why many like this it is artistically brilliant. But I honestly just cant wear it because it smells to me really significantly like oriental food, the spices in cooking, maybe strange I know but it really just triggers that for me. Wonder if anyone else finds this. I do think it could be pulled off by some.

to harlequin1572

There is a good method to avoid change of the scent due to contact with skin - spray it on your clothes. The perfume will smell exactly like from the bottle.

harlequin1572
harlequin1572

This is a sad moment for me: I have finally decided to admit that my skin simply will not accept the glorious gifts this masterpiece has to offer.

Out of the bottle, the scent is exactly as the previous reviewers have described - a field of flowers freshened by raindrops, and you think, A scent like this will make the ugliest frog seem appealing to a princess! But it seems my skin is worse than a frog's, turning this field of dreams into a disturbing duet of aniseed and spicy carnation that makes me physically tense. Not a hint of violets or iris; just a spice drawer all the way through. (Why me?!?!?!)

While I'm looking for a human-to-frog skin graft, I'll ponder this unbearably harsh lesson about sampling perfumes first, no matter how well-reviewed.

EDIT: I've heard rumors that Apres l'Ondee might have been mildly reformulated and made spicier. If that's true, maybe I'm not a frog after all. What has slightly better skin than a frog? - maybe I'm a lizard...

MsMaryO
MsMaryO

Apres L'Ondee is a soft dewy floral that actually reminds me of rain. It's one of those scents that takes me back to my childhood. I had an aunt that was about 12 years older than me, and I remember the scent of her lipsticks and perfumes on her dresser. That's where Apres L'Ondee takes me, to my aunt's bedroom, playing with makeup and listening to Moon River on her little record player. It also reminds me of another favorite Guerlain, Champs Elysees, and they share some notes: anise, mimose, rose. But while CE makes me feel happy and uplifted, Apres makes me feel a little melancholy and pensive.

Kterhark
Kterhark

Albert Einstein once said “The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.”

I believe Al said this after sniffing Apres L’ondee. With this many ingredients, and with this many years gone by, an awful lot can go wrong but doesn’t. That is the beauty.

This isn’t a perfume as much as it is an emotional experience. Whenever I put this on, no matter what time of year, I’m instantly transported to the springtime of my youth. I lived in Minnesota, where spring meant goodbye to snow (sad), and hello to grass shoots, tulips and baby birds (happy). No other perfume captures melancholy optimism with such perfection. That is the mystery.

Here’s the rest of Einstein’s quote “He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Don’t let Apres L’Ondee be a stranger.

adele l
adele l

Usually I am not fond of older guerlains-the base is too old fashioned for my taste. Apres L'ondee however almost smells modern, like something Annick Goutal would create. Really does smell like flowers after a rainfall, fresh and feminine! I can detect gentle notes of jasmine and violet and something vegetal. it smells natural and gorgeous- very balanced as well.

pansylady
pansylady

I'm just getting to know this fragrance- it carries a long trail of expectations, as do many of the older Guerlain scents- and I am pleased to say that, finally, I've found an older Guerlain that I like and that likes me back!

I'm not even going to try to compete with the poetical rhapsodies of other fellow lovers of this fragrance- for me, it can be best summed up in just two words-

Violet creamsicle!

A beautiful perfume. these days perfumes smell synthetic. If you like violets, then you will like this. It is a soft, gentle perfume. that has been blended so well. I find it comforting, romantic and nostalgic.

My Great Aunty Kitty wore this perfume. She was a very classy lady. As a child I loved going to her house. Antique clocks would chime in various rooms and the smell of this perfume would gently waft,making you feel comfortable and secure. This perfume is truly beautiful, just like my beutiful Aunty Kitty.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

I have heard that many love L'Heure Bleue and write off Après L'Ondée as less complex-and I have also heard that Après L'Ondée is the more beautiful-and more melancholy fragrance-more approachable than the other more popular classic. I became acquainted with the smell of L'Heure Bleue from working a few years in a retirement home-clean but powdery anise is that blue hour, that familiar old signature sillage.

I can smell the iris (among other notes) in common, but this stormy scent has a crisp and muted quality-a fresh violet, that epitomizes violet perfection for me(I don't like violets generally)....
This is the scent of burying yourself in tender leaves, covering yourself in violets, feeling drizzle, smelling the scent before a fantastic storm-the sky becoming grey and charged....And then you wake up at your great-grandmother's house (whom you are not acquainted with)-there is a gentle powdery scent in the air-a dusty but cozy and eerily familiar aroma. The rain is pounding on the windows, you are seated on a faded lace-covered cushion in a well-preserved sitting room-the branches stir at the windowsill and all seems still. That is Après L'Ondée....

rithacha
rithacha

The initial crackle of neroli fades into a tapestry of anise, violet, and jasmine. These smoky, dusky colors are punctuated by violent jabs of carnation, woods, and dry benzoin rising from the base. These is something melancholic about Apres l'Ondee, but there's also something sharp and edgy about it. It seems more lively than wistful, more cranky than soothing. Too spicy to wear to sleep, too memory-provoking to release the imagination.

Unfortunately, Apres l'Ondee does not sit right on my skin; it feels nervous and off-kilter. I count myself lucky to have no desire to own this one; it's quite overpriced.

loismonahan
loismonahan

I had to have this after reading the reviews, so I made the trek to the Guerlain store on Bloor Street. Absolutely beautiful scent - like an elusive memory. This is the fragrance I have been seeking but could never describe.

Persephone
Persephone

After rain... A cloudy, dreamy morning. Ghosts haunting your great-grandmother's distant estate. Wet birch-tree benches. Pale ethereal Degas' ballerinas dancing on the crushed violet petals. Fluid visions of the past. Or the future? Transparent, like solemn tears, which you can't tell from the rain drops anymore. Yellow pages of a Virginia Woolf's book. The ticking of an old clock. At first, a crisp, pure voice of my little sister being born and then a subtle incoherent murmure of my great-grandmother on her deathbed. A daily reminder of how fragile human life is. After rain, so be it. EDT only, which is so so subtle, gosh I literally have to pour it on to enjoy this masterpeiece. Pure parfum I found costs $3000. It is a crime.

KalteStern
KalteStern

The violet/mauve hue of the label suits it very well, because of the heliotrope/iris notes; I think of it as the 'quiet Guerlain', as it has the depth and richness of the underlying base that is characteristic and distinctive of the older Guerlain fragrances, but it not nearly so loud as L'Heure Bleue. For that reason you can wear it during the day, and even to work, and rely on it being distinctive but not overpowering. It is certainly going to mark you out as different, but perhaps in such a low key way that people are not entirely conscious of it. Classic and classy, but still romantic

mymlan
mymlan

Since I recently got my hands on this stunningly beautiful gem it has been in heavy rotation. I'm getting afraid that these precious 100 ml will not last for very long.

Apres l'Ondee has everything I want from a perfume. The anis, violet, jasmine and vanilla is dominant on my skin and the scent is extremely soft and comforting. It's wonderful for lazy days, evening wear or right before going to sleep when you emotions are a bit more sensitive. It washes away a stressful working day and I have even sprayed a little on my pillow as suggested from a forum member, which also made the bed to a heaven for a few nights.

As said before this perfume lacks the social dimension as it doesn't create attention among surronding individuals. Insted it is a quiet, clean and calming fragrance which I love to enjoy on my own.

I joined Fragrantica hoping to track down my one and only signature. Instead I have learnt about the aroma-therapeutic qualities of different fragrances and how to be more aware of how I feel and how different fragrances can influence my emotional life. And for that I'm very grateful to this forum.

kewart
kewart

This is the only scent that brought tears to my eyes the first time I sniffed it. It is so melancholic, so bittersweet!
Having said that I love and admire it totally. No perfume has ever moved me so emotionally and I see that as a good thing.

maggiesmeow
maggiesmeow

MASTERPIECE, but-- what Madame Butterfly would wear while comMitting harakiri. the deee-lish guerlinade under the sepulchral, DEPRESSION-INDUCING vile-et isn't enough reward. hurts me to write that.

Wim Janssens
Wim Janssens

My love for perfume all started with my purchase of a bottle of Après L'Ondeé... .
It has to me one of the most intense olfactive memories and associations and I treasured the fragrance like it was the most precious thing to me.
I love it, it opened a whole new world to me. I will keep on wearing it.

Aalia
Aalia

I recieved a tiny sample, and a great pleasure. Sometimes I check the Fragrantica database information on notes and history before testing, and, sometimes not. This time I just casually chose my new scent to test, popped open the cap. I thought..oh, a garden scent! I cannot say floral, I cannot say green, all I can think, and picture- is garden. At first application I thought of how odd and intriguing the scent is. I also thought it reproduced some cloudy familiarity from childhood, perhaps the favorite of an Aunt of mine, or a similar soap or dusting powder. Those were my initial impressions. I came here to the database to gather the details, read about the composition. I can write and say that I am mesmerized by the combination of sandalwood and mimose. I love the spicy tingles within all the floral notes, and the base is strong and a combination of all the deep, earthy scents I love. I cannot write too much here, perhaps I am in awe, and a bit confused at the same time while experiencing this scent for the first time. Others here before me have fashioned thier ideas and scenes so well. Please Please, read below and take thier well crafted words to understand better how wonderful, unique, and complex this scent is.

flowers&spice
flowers&spice

This is the kind of fragrance that you wear for you, and you alone. It's the scent I wear when I'm home with my husband and our daughter on lazy weekend mornings. It's the scent I reach for before I go to bed. While it is not a fragrance that I get many compliments on, that's not a bad thing. Let me explain: it wears very close to the skin and gives the impression that you smell beautiful, clean and fresh - not that your perfume does. I love the opening notes with their slightly herbal and grassy edge. As the scent develops it becomes the most beautiful aroma of slightly spicy, fresh flowers. I think it's carnation and violet I love so much here. How wonderful that it's feminine without being sweet. It makes me feel calm and happy. To me it's a beautiful scent to be worn casually.

classic
classic

I love this one. It's sweet but fresh and not at all artificial - reminds me of gorse-flowers - that wild honey smell. Plus it has been around since 1906! Let's celebrate the enduring scents from the past rather than buying into the new ones which smell like alco-pops!

Mals86
Mals86

I agree with Jalutschka; this is Debussy set to scent, and Monet's palette in the air, an Impressionist masterpiece. It is all pastels and sweet melody, gently smudged outlines and sustained chords, and it is so beautiful that it brings tears to the eyes. The anise, violet and carnation, along with the woody resin base, give Apres l'Ondee its shape, and iris/orris root gives it its wistful elegance. The sweetness of the heliotrope keeps circling round -- every time I think, well, it's gone, and what could I expect of so ethereal a fragrance? -- there's the heliotrope again. This lasted, even in eau de toilette, for more than four hours on my dry winter skin, and I expect it might persist longer when the weather warms a little.

This is spring in a bottle: the beauty of blooming things, the delicacy of their blossoms, and the ephemeracy of pure joy. Spring doesn't last, but it is all the more beautiful because it passes so quickly, and so it is with Apres l'Ondee.

DawnLady3
DawnLady3

A very unusual fragrance. I didn't think I would like to wear this when I first sprayed it on, though I was instantly aware of its quality. There is no hint of sweetness and it doesn't seem in any way feminine to me (not masculine either - very neutral). I am aware of the aniseed note all the way through and this gives the fragrance a melancholic and haunting quality that makes me want to keep having another sniff, so that I find myself captivated and intrigued. It is so beautifully blended it is impossible to pick out most of the individual notes (except the aniseed), which is typical of so many Guerlains. I agree with klonk that it is a true work of art. Definitely worth trying!

Light, creamy violet and vanilla. Gorgeous and clear like watery violet over ice cream. A very beautiful and ephemeral fragrance, hard to find now.

veruska
veruska

A legendary melancholic blast from the past! i've associated it with my mothers much older professional associate, a very graceful and beautiful woman that wore Chanel suits, spoke fluently french, had the perfect chignons and was educated in Wien. She died from cancer in her mid-fifties and this was her signature scent. With all this on mind i could never wore this just cause i can't possibly fit in this tremendously radiant lady's shoes. Sadly i can't experience this spicy womanly opening, the wonderfuly mild lighthanded greeness, wth honeyed sweet nothings and the lovely perfectly judged spicy amber drydowmn. An undeniably classic.

Jasper
Jasper

This smells Divine! Clean, floral opening. What amazed me is that there was no "sweetness" in the top notes which I found unique for a lady scent.
the middle note are decadent blend of lots of flower but I can feel the lovely dewy-green aroma now and then. It purplexed me so much I test it twice within 24 hours. So rich and opulent but manages to give the freshness aura. This is something I would love to wear to a formal meeting because it gives "nice & reliable-person" feel. Though wearing it to bed will surely give me the restfull sleep and a sweet dream!

klonk
klonk

A work of art. Truly the most beautiful scent I ever had the chance to wear... Soft floral, romantic, fresh yet warm, slightly sweet and powdery, sophisticated, classy, sad and happy scent. A perfume that really awakes emotions.

Apres l'Ondee by Guerlain 4.34 out of 5 based on 770 ratings and 134 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Apres l'Ondee fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Apres l'Ondee, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Apres l'Ondee by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Apres l'Ondee by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.