Designers » F-H » Woody Floral Musk « Groups

Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice Guerlain for women and men

Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice Guerlain for women and men
dislike

Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for women and men. Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice was launched in 2005. Top note is fir; middle notes are pine and resin; base notes are opoponax, vanille and sugar.

Fir

Festive (Holiday no.1)

Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice Fragrance Reviews

Lana148
Lana148

Opens up a bit strong, with vintage-like perfume notes... and then the magic begins. It starts to warm up. Smells like cinnamon, fur woods, leather, musk, vanilla, sweet spices. Winter evening in a cabin near the fireplace, burning pine wood and something yummy is baking in a oven.. Fabulous, rich, intoxicating aroma. I love this one. Wintertime cozy.

Jewelsie42
Jewelsie42

Just got my FB about a week ago, have been wearing it NON-STOP!!! I LOVE *sweetnspiceys* review and that she said it smelt like freshly tapped maple sugar water!! I bought this as a way of making peace with Winter since it is sticking around so long and I do happen to love ALL of the scents of a traditional Christmas celebration. So I can see myself wearing it during the holidays, but just in wintertime in general. It is so fresh and cold yet warm and spicy at the same time. I love the scent of the fir and the pine, it is masculine smelling at first, but then sweetens up a lot on me and then OHHHH, that fabulous incense dry down, what I live for in a woody, smoky perfume like this. All in all, I would totally wear this as a signature fragrance during the cooler months!! the longevity is amazing for an EDT and the sillage is moderate.. It just makes me really, really happy and yet sad at the same time because I know it will always be a hassle to find more of it, but as much as I love it, it will be worth the struggle.

Many thanks to the marvelous Scorpiosheep for the generous sample!

What a beauty this perfume is! The evergreens (I smell more fir than pine) and sugar really pop. It reminds me of when a maple tree is tapped and this sweet water comes out, which you can drink, and which is later cooked down into maple syrup. This makes me want to go out and drink a bunch of that water, it tastes like sugar water.

So this does conjure winter in a way, because of the evergreens, but it's not a spicy and heavy oriental. It has an outdoor feeling of walking through fresh air and snowy woods rather than sitting indoors by a fire drinking mulled cider.

After wearing for a couple of hours, it becomes more resins and vanilla. I adore it every moment that it's on my skin.

Edit: Well it didn't take long for me to hunt down a bottle and splurge on it. It's now my signature scent. Thanks for introducing me, Scorpiosheep!

houzi
houzi

At first I was quite puzzled by Winter Delice as I simply couldn't smell almost anything for a few minutes. I even thought there was something wrong with my sample. But much to my relief the fragrance materialized after a while.

It's unmistakably a winter scent. It smells like snowy coniferous forrest or bitter, almost smokey wood, chopped and ready to be fed into the fire. There's pine, fir and resins, very woody and aromatic, and also quite sharp, so much so that I'm almost afraid of getting a splinter. The little sweetness is hidden very deep under the blanket of frozen pine needles and only makes an appearance through occasional muffled whiffs in the drydown.

If used as a Christmas fragrance it evokes the atmosphere of quietude and reflection. For merry indulgence though, I would look somewhere else.

Janaina Klang
Janaina Klang

I just received my sample this morning and was totally surprised that there

is no scent, I can't smell anything!

bluebellinthewoods
bluebellinthewoods

Strong, spicy, smells like wintery snowy Christmas. I love it but too strong for me to wear. Sniff the bottle regularly and dream of sledging whist singing Wham's 'Last Christmas.' Ok so that's just me?

kattassah
kattassah

I love warm, spicy, fall/winter scents so this one is great to me. Reminds me of Cinnabar, with that touch of spicy holiday goodness. I don't really get much in the way of woods, though. Or vanilla. If only...

aveilhe
aveilhe

I'm quite fond of gourmands (I would classify WD as a woody-gourmand), and any fragrance that combines spices, vanilla, and woods always seems to win me over. Unfortunately, this combination often gets unfairly associated with candles because the market is saturated with them over the holidays. I like holiday candles as much as the next person, but I also think there is a place in perfumery for these lovely scents (if done well, as this is).

Winter Delice might verge on being too close to a home/potpourri/candle scent for some people because of this association, but I find it very wearable as a personal scent. It is cozy, nostalgic, and happy -- and yes, very evocative of Christmas (a European or N. American Christmas, at least).

It starts out with a sharp note: the green needles of fir and pine trees, then quickly the traditional holiday spices emerge -- cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and just a hint of clove. Underneath the spices is a warm, smoldering layer of sweet resins and sugary vanilla. The oppoponax adds a powdery/incense quality that elevates it out of the realm of candles and into the realm of true perfume. This soft incense base note extends throughout the dry down.

This is not a trek through the woods on a cool, Christmas night, rather it is a cuddly indoor scent, reminiscent of cookies just out of the oven, candles burning on the mantel, and a fresh-cut tree, decorated with love.

WD is also a surprisingly light scent -- it has a low sillage compared to other spicy-vanilla gourmands on the market. Overall, this is a lovely option for a signature holiday/winter scent and equally appropriate for daily use, cocktail parties, or cozy nights indoors.

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

This is GORGEOUS! I need a full bottle of this magic! Fresh pine forest in the cold winter day, to me this fragrance smells like Narnia ( From the Chronicles of Narnia ) would smell like. Truly a work of art!

Dear Guerlain,

Can you please bring back these kind of fragrances, not the one's you've been making lately in your sleep while having a cold with no sense of smell and dumping it at Sephora.

Let's get back to the business of art making such as Winter Delice!

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

Bought this for my mum in error, expecting Herba Fresca, what a surprise. This is incredible, talk about a Merry Christmas in a bottle, another huge success from Guerlain, it's very sweet on first spray, Vanilla, Cinnamon, fruits, then seems to dry down into spices and pine. I imagine a perfume to enjoy purely for the user as it doesn't seem to last a huge time, but what an enjoyment, Perfection de Guerlain :-)

Psiclops
Psiclops

I got a decant of this to try it out. I wanted to love it. Really I did. I love pine, so this should have had my name written all over it. Unfortunately, the pine notes were fleeting and I was left with more sugar cookies in the kitchen with the pine tree far away in the living room. Alas.

persefoni
persefoni

...Bittersweet, a bit smokey, powdery, dry, magnificent!!! Smells very similar to Ambre Sultan by Lutens.. Are we sure Sheldrake wasn't involved in the making of this?? I would swear..!

klopgovorun
klopgovorun

What an interesting fragrance! It's very dry and spicy, yet balmy, resinous, and soothing. An intriguing contradiction, very warm, I can't stop sniffing my wrist.

Definitely in the woody, balmy land. Not sweet at all, quiet, cozy and peaceful. Recommend!!

Majesty
Majesty

Why does Winter Delice reminds me of Vix Inhaler and Halls cherry candies?!Must be the pine and sugar note..I associate this perfume with flu!It's bitter pine on my skin with something sweet when it dries down. Overall unique,but not something I would like to wear as a perfume. Maybe it would be nice as a candle..

Winter Delice pops up every now and then in the forum as a suggestion for a Christmas scent every December. I can understand where these references come from, particularly with the strong pine accord and underlying sugary sweetness. But seeing that I have never experienced a wintry Christmas, Winter Delice isn't the scent of my favourite holiday season at all. At least not to my nose.

I find this fragrance pleasantly mysterious and rich. It smells like a mystical forest, like the one Hansel and Gretel found themselves lost in prior to discovering the gingerbread house. In all honesty, I expected this fragrance to be a tad more resinous and deep, so I was quite taken aback by the light and fluffy sugary quality peeking through.

There is a delicacy conveyed throughout this fragrance's composition which may have been the perfumer's way of softening the masculine, coniferous accords. I have come to the conclusion that Winter Delice is actually suitable for both men and women, so the unisex classification is correct.

Other than smelling like a mystical forest, there are also subtle hints of spicy cookies and a warm, blazing fire. Essentially, Winter Delice is the perfect Winter scent, smelling both warm and gourmand on the skin. I am impressed, but I highly doubt that you'll find me scanning Ebay for a somewhat expensive, half-used bottle.

It's not the strongest scent going around, but the sillage does have moderate projection. The longevity was good too, especially for that of an EDT. I reach for this fragrance every now and then when the weather is cold outside, but I don't wish to overpower anyone near me. If you're like me and own a crazy amount of heavy orientals, you'll more than likely be welcoming to a scent of this nature.

Mihail
Mihail

Jam from fir cones smells. Deep, saturated and mystical. Bitter-sweet woods and snow-covered cabin by Santa or Ded Moroz. Winter fairy tale in the bottle:-)Long-long-lasting.

Together with Pamplelune, Mentafollia and Herba Fresca, this is probably one of the very few successful deliveries in the Aqua Allegoria's range. Aimed to evoke Christams atmosphere, Winter Delice is a well balanced mixture of sweet, slightly gorumandic notes, and coniferous galore. Pine needles, fir and a sort of copal-like resin are juxtaposed to a sweet vanilla/gingerbread accord with an amazingly pleasant result that's sweet without crossing the border to become cloying. Incense, mostly detectable during the drydown, adds even more coziness to this "reassuring" fragrance. Very very nice.

Rating: 7.5/10

babsyfish
babsyfish

I was so pleasantly surprised by Winter Delice. Normally, my skin does not tolerate resins or incense; they just come off as pure Comet on me. I think the vanilla/sugar affair in the base softens the harshness for me. Happyme2009 said this fragrance reminds her of Narnia--what a perfect description! WD has a magical quality to it that reminds me of an enchanted, sugar-dusted, Old World forest, yet, it is not at all childish or ultra-feminine. Sophisticated deliciousness!

TheGorgon
TheGorgon

Smelling this makes me think of a walk in a snowy Pine wood on christmas day after the morning mass!
I smell Pine resin+ frankincense and something "icy" that i have no clue what it could be but it stays only for 10 seconds in the opening! It does lasts for ages and has a very good projection, differently from most other aqua allegorias! How i wish i had a huge bottle of this! :(

SilverFire
SilverFire

It goes on with a not unsubtle resins + amber blast, although it lacks the richness of say, Ambre Noir. Mingled with the resin/amber mix is a hint of musk, a metallic tinge, and something woodsy, and these minor notes help keep the amber from overwhelming me (I am sensitive to amber and it has made me nauseous). It doesn’t project much, although it stays constantly resinous throughout its lifetime, which is at least 12 hours.

I think that my skin must amp amber and resins like crazy, so if you are of a similar skin type, you probably won't get much out of this fragrance.

Wega
Wega

I am absolutely shocked! From the notes, I expected this would be a favorite for me. I love resins, and this one is chock full. It's amazing how relative fragrance is, and how different everyone's chemistry and noses are. I can see where this was meant to go, and probably DOES go for the majority of you, BUT...
So here it is (it's bad, so feel free to skip this part) - I'm getting intense, acrid, EXTREMELY synthetic musk dryer sheets AND periodontal disease halitosis (I'm a dental assistant, so this is familiar). So bad! I'm holding my face away from my arm until I can wash.
Eeek! Sorry! Either I have some really weird skin or a broken sniffer!
Well, one positive aspect - I won't have to worry about tracking down and affording another discontinued perfume!

BitterVanilla
BitterVanilla

This scent had been suggested to me as a "Christmas tree" scent. It doesn't quite live up to that -- there's wood in here, but this scent is not even close to what you'd smell when walking past rows of cut Douglas firs and blue spruces. It definitely smells like conifers, though, and I think I can sense cedar, so maybe this just doesn't match the types of Christmas trees I'm used to. I expected this to be a "cold" scent, but Winter Delice is warm and makes me think of incense (until the drydown). I don't get anything remotely camphorous or earthy. Supposedly there's some gingerbread in here, but I'm not getting any of it either. There's definitely sweetness, but it's not like honey or vanilla. Winter Delice is sweet throughout all of its stages, especially in the opening, but nothing about that sweetness is edible (until the drydown).

The drydown, the drydown... the drydown is bizarre. It's absolutely nothing like the other stages; I have trouble understanding how Winter Delice could have developed like this. Unlike the other stages, the drydown seems a little cold -- not strong like menthol, but enough to be weird. There's no more incense, no more woods. The sweetness is subdued, but I'm getting... cold sparkly grape? Not wine or Concord grapes, but carbonated purple grape juice. It's not unpleasant, but... why??? This isn't a result of my skin chemistry, either -- this happened on both paper and my clothing.

I'm a little disappointed at Winter Delice's weakness. On fabrics, it lasts a long time (I checked just now, and it's still faintly there over 48 hours later), but it's a skin scent from start to finish, and I can't sense it on myself at all 6 hours in. The weird grapey scent doesn't appear on my skin, but Winter Delice appears to die off on me after the heart notes.

In conclusion: As far as top and heart notes go, I like this scent even though it didn't fit my expectations. It's heavy on the woods, sweet but not a gourmand, and the incense isn't offensive to my nose. Winter Delice isn't "cold"-smelling, and while it doesn't match the Christmas feel, it's good for winter and fall. The longevity and sillage are both disappointing... if only it were stronger!

RkrChk
RkrChk

The pine, fir and resins in this fragrance smell like a cool mix of lavender on my skin which I'm not too keen on...In fact, it reminds me of the vintage Aqua Velva for men!

Towards the drydown, the opoponax and sugar melt into each other so warmly & sweetly...

I was sure hoping this fragrance made friends with my skin, but alas, they are at odds with each other...It's just not feminine enough for me...As beautiful as this fragrance is, I'll pass...

kalios55
kalios55

Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice

Does Winter Delice remind me of Christmas?
Personally, no. It lacks of that bright, fresh, and frosty factors. Winter Delices is a little too dark, and smoky of a scent to be Christmassy.

The perfume is definitely herbaceous. It smells like a cold & damp pine forest, which I found to be very interesting and distinctive.

When I test Winter Delice I can imagine myself sitting on the damp forest floor underneath an oversized pine tree, getting whiffs and whiffs of that sweet pine tree bark, needles, and its oozing zap. The cold ground—carpeted with moist and decomposed leaves—adds earthiness, mustiness, and smokiness to the herbaceous resinous aroma in the air.

It’s uniquely calm and soothing. I’d rather secretly enjoy my Winter Delices at home alone—in front of the toasty fire place & all wrapped up in a cozy throw—in the middle of cruel Kansas winter.

calyx93
calyx93

Just found my third bottle on eBay - thank goodness there are people selling it out there!

Anyway, I can't add much to the descriptions below - this is just the perfect Christmas week fragrance and I tend to use it exclusively the week before, during and after - especially when it snows. It's quite light, even with the heavyweight notes in the composition - but it's perfectly persistent, present and never overbearing. It brings joy to my heart and really brings back early childhood memories of a warmly spiced kitchen, a fragrant fir tree, the crisp snowy air and the midnight mass.

A very emotional perfume - I hope to be lucky enough to keep findining enough bottles to ensure at least a couple decades more of this "bottled memory."

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This EdT, part of the Aqua Allegoria series and now discontinued, starts out as a mildly spicy, incensey, smoky, composition, then quickly a fir balsam note becomes the primary one. It’s not at all a “Christmas” scent, it’s more the smell of fresh resin and old incense.

Even though the sillage is light, I would characterize this as dark and brooding, like walking into an abandoned, haunted chapel in the middle of an evergreen forest and finding that it still smells like the incense that was once burned there. As the evergreen notes die down, a light gingerbread note appears, breaking the spell, but the incense still remains in the background. After a few hours it dries down to a gingerbread, vanilla and musk skin scent.

Overall, this is fairly long-lasting for an EdT, at least 4-5 hours. I love the opening, and like the rest of it. Too bad Guerlain stopped making this.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

I got my bottle out to do some decanting today and oh! I had forgotten how truly magic this is. It is totally unlike anything else in the Aqua Allegoria range. I would not classify it as a woody floral musk, to me it is a true gourmand, with notes of spices and orange and orris (like one of those clove-studded oranges we used to make, but with no clove note). I managed to spill a bit while decanting so now I will have to wear this t-shirt for days until the scent dies down; I can't bear to wash it off just yet! A truly warm, resinous and comforting perfume & they should not have discontinued it....sigh.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Winter Delice is magic in a bottle. Have you ever seen the movie Narnia? This is exactly what I imagine the magical land of Narnia to smell like... full of snow and weird creatures, magic, dreams, ice, purity of children and values to be reached.
It does smell like winter, not the slushy gray ones in the big cities, but like quiet, frozen ones in places where technology, has not arrived yet... where burning wood is still the only method of heating, and the night sky is lighted only by the moon and the stars, and horses pull the sleights through mountains of snow, and bread and cookies are baking in a primitive stove.
This is what I recall when wearing Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice. The name suits the scent very well.
It's smoky, enveloping, warm, mysterious and primal, good silage and good lasting power. It does have some similarity with Shalimar. But this is definitely woodier. I don't understand the rationality of discontinuing this truly outstanding perfume.

aromaminx
aromaminx

oh i would sooooooooooooooooooo love to be able to track down another bottle{or 10} of this sensational sexy great at christmas-time perfume.
alas it has gone ,gone ,gone away forever.

weegee
weegee

I was the weird kid who would eat the drops of resin from the bark of the pine tree. Yes, I know: it's a miracle I survived to adulthood; nonetheless, those small, golden, sparkling drops that weren't quite solid and weren't quite liquid either, totally fascinated me. And I suppose they still do. Winter Delice doesn't suggest Christmas to me -- that would require the addition of cinnamon, nutmeg and eggnog; instead, it's the scent of snow and winter moonlight.

Winter Delice suggests the chill and excitement of cross-country skiing by the light of a full moon many years ago in Chama, New Mexico. The snow sparkled and the only sound in the insulated, muffled quiet I remember was the swish, swish, swishing of well-waxed skis. The stars were too numerous to count, the air cold and crisp, the moon shadows danced and the Ponderosa pines perfumed the air with the same sharp resin I smell on my skin now from Winter Delice. Fabulous.

bonastanzi
bonastanzi

Quite possibly my favorite fragrance of all-time. So comforting. I remember that my mom's vintage Christmas ornaments smelled just like this and I always looked forward to taking them out of storage boxes and giving them a whiff. Now I can smell this glorious scent year-round.

Like a men's cologne at first (fougere? similar to Elixir des Merveilles), then the fir, pine, and sweet-spice (cinnamon-like) notes emerge and settle. I think opoponax in the dry-down gives it magic. And, I find that it actually lasts a long time (>6 hrs). I want to wear it year-round, but definitely best in the Fall and Winter.

Out of all the fragrances in the Aqua Allegoria series, I'll be saving up for full sizes of this (if I can still find it) and of Pamplelune.

rebella
rebella

I think of this as a funny perfume, it makes me happy and kind of girly. I have no clue why. Also it makes me think of the fir I planted when I was about 4-5 years old. Now it has become a big fir and I feel happiness every time I visit my parents cottage and se my old dear fir tree. This perfumes smells exactly like "Burre" (That´s the name of my fir) at Christmas Time... How can I do anything else than love it?

No, not really love, but it´s a nice, comfy and quirky kind of perfume. A must try if you like spicy, woody, recinous kind of perfumes.

veruska
veruska

A pleasant christmas tree scent laced with incense that smell of happy masses and glowing fireplaces. It doesn't last and it's an okay adittion on Aqua Allegoria, a funny touching scent , best not to expect to last more than 30 min.

Smells like English Leather Men's cologne and Pine-sol. I wanted to love this, but it doesn't perform as advertised. Not remotely.

F_A
F_A

On my skin this fragrance releases the smell of camphor-can't stand it, even though top notes a really pleasant. It reminds me the scent of just cut christmas tree, to be more pricise, the scent of fir-tree when you bring it home before Christmas.Warm, woody and spicy top notes turn into something very annoying on my skin :(

coco76

you really should...i don't know what it is with it, but it reminded me of my grandmother's second husband..and that is not a good thing. i find that i have really weird chemistry sometimes, so maybe that was the problem. if i can find the sample, i'll send it to you. let me know by private message if you want me to send it to you, i'd be glad to hear an opinion from someone who obviously loves perfumes as much as i do!

coco76

ah, it must be the frankincense...i would not be surprised! frankincense is pretty hardcore..at least for me! i definetly have to be careful with some incense smells. have you ever tried le baiser du dragon by cartier? it has the same kind of smell, but in that case it is COMPLETELY overpowering.
still,this is a gorgeous perfume. do you find the perfume lasts a long time on clothing? i only dabbed my wrists and inner arms.

coco76

ok, so i just realized that opoponax (sp?) is actually listed as being in one of my favourite perfumes (coco mademoiselle) so i guess that is not what throws me off...hmm...i wonder if it is a resin that i dislike....interesting

Urban Skies
Urban Skies

A Victorian Christmas Eve in a bottle -- glowing fireplace, silver trays filled with little spice cakes, towering pyramids of fruit, presents under the tree, aromatic candles lit all around the room, velvet ribbons festooning the boiserie. Complex at first, with sweet spices and many types of woods. The drydown on me is very sweet, almost like Dr Pepper (vanilla and cinnamon).

Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain 4.01 out of 5 based on 170 ratings and 39 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.