Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

Bois d'Armenie Guerlain for women and men
dislike

smoky
Bois d'Armenie Guerlain for women and men Pictures

Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. Bois d'Armenie was launched in 2006. The nose behind this fragrance is Annick Menardo. Top notes are iris, pink pepper and incense; middle notes are coriander, benzoin and guaiac wood; base notes are patchouli, white musk and copahu balm.

iris Pink Pepper Incense

Coriander Benzoin Guaiac Wood

Patchouli White Musk Copahu Balm

Bois d'Armenie Fragrance Reviews

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Pungent, sticky, dense woody-balsamic opening, with some floral notes accidentally entangled in this syrup, a caramelised vibe with anise notes, and a quite realistic, dry, dark aromatic note – the guaiac wood, softened by an incense fog which makes it smell dustier and darker. Earthy patchouli and a subtle fresh breeze. A bag of spices, and a hint of vanilla. Finally, a round, discreet, powdery and bit plastic iris note. Once it settles on the skin, it slowly becomes unexpectedly more and more bright and luminous, something that really "opens up" your nose – perhaps it's some particularly balsamic incense accord, however it's nice and aerial. It then evolves on a spicy/medicinal accord with floral notes and a woody base, and a thin, rarified but palpable smoky/incense meditative breeze all around. Pleasant, interesting, intriguing, really aromatic, worth a try. Weak persistence.

grayspoole
grayspoole

I received Bois d'Armenie in an incense sampler set from STC, and I very much doubt that I would have tried it otherwise. It is not a typical scent for me, but I have enjoyed wearing it more and more each time. At first, I was disappointed with the sample since I usually associate incense with frankincense and myrrh. I was not familiar with benzoin at all. Bois d'Armenie is sweet and spicy--my daughter said it smelled like cookies--with a tiny faint whiff of a cedar closet. In subsequent trials, including bedtime test, I began to enjoy the warm comforting quality of this scent, which has expanded my fragrance horizons.

henri345que
henri345que

Bois d`Armenie has a misterious aura of incense, benjoin and spices and it`s my favorite of the line. You would expect it to be an intense incensed fragrance, but it projects like an aura of a scent that seems to come from your skin, not like a fragrance you are wearing. The Benjoin has a soft smoky aroma of subtle vanillic nuances, and it`s beautifully joined by pepper aromas and a dry powder aroma, a kind of signature in this Guerlain`s line. Gradually you start to detect dry woods, and sometimes i catch a note that seems to me like a discreet leathery one. It ends out in that dry, woody, slightly musky aroma. If i would pick just one from this line, it`d be it. It`s a scent that still amazes after three years wearing it ocasionally

TheLumineri
TheLumineri

To everyone of you who claim to detect vanilla in this...please research further into the scent of vanilla.....there is not one spit of vanilla in this......the notes directly from Guerlain website (guerlain.com/int/en-int/exclusive-collections/lart-et-la-matiere/bois-darmenie-eau-de-parfum-bottle.html) are:

Top notes: frankincense, iris, pink pepper.
Heart notes: gaiac wood, benzoin, coriander.
Base notes: copahu balm, patchouli, white musks.

.....NO VANILLA!!!!

The scent itself is DEVINE! A sensual close-to-skin scent that lasts and lasts. Save this one for "close encounters", office, class, maybe even hospital or clinical work. It is not intrusive and is defenitely a compliment magnet! Score another one for Guerlain!

Cereza
Cereza

I won't be joining the crowd that adores "Bois D'Armenie" and let me tell you why.
Even though this is a pretty woody/sweet scent suitable for both sexes and could be worn in many occasions, I simply do not get the combo of guaiac wood and incense. Guaiac wood itself has a tendency to smell like a new furniture on me, not necessary a bad thing, but when it's doubled with incense like in "Bois D'Armenie" all I get is a freshly polished wooden chairs, it turns into a syntethic mess, so it was slightly hard to enjoy this creation if for the first 4 hours I got syntethic furniture polisher. I did enjoy the drydown though, beautiful woody/musky vanilla.

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

WOODSY VANILLA

I was recently with my cousin who has been wearing Shalimar for decades.
Although I was not with her when I sampled this - I immediately thought of her signature scent.

I checked the notes, and, lo and behold, they do have some similarities (as well as both from the house of Guerlain).

Shalimar, and maybe I say this because my cousin is female - does seem to lean towards the feminine. But this fragrance can certainly be worn by women.

It's a very nice warm and inviting scent.

bossontherun
bossontherun

Another King has arised in my entire collection. Stands aside is the lovely Queen Dobule Vanille :)

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I have nothing to add to the comments here which explain the smoky/creamy benzoin/vanilla and incense notes save that I have yet to smell anything quite like this. I can't decide if it's a metaphysically religious scent (the incense) or a gourmand. It seems quite original to me and very nice.

It passes my Mmmm test: I flutter my shirt front and go Mmmm when I smell the released scent.

Guerlain does it again!

-------

Update: I wore this a second time and found it somewhat cloying. I guess I totally changed my opinion about it.

My wife claims that it smells like an old lady's house.

antfarm
antfarm

Chocolate-covered andouille sausage was my initial impression. It's pretty strange at first, smelling chocolately, smoky, and oily all at once, but then it settles into a smoky-sweet skin scent.

mwallwork
mwallwork

Bois d'Armerie begins with a soft, comforting blend of benzoin, vanilla creaminess and a very slight allusion to smoke. The heart continues on these notes with the vanilla becoming creamier. Now add a growing presence of patchouli and a healthy dollop of warm wood which proceed to bloom as the contact with skin continues. Musk and iris start a slightly sweet powder which blends with the patchouli - at first pleasantly and later in the dry down it becomes slightly dirty.

Up until this point, I would consider BdA a wholly unisex fragrance - slightly sweet and appealing to anyone. In fact, I find it extremely appealing and lovingly blended. But then something happens that tips it a minute amount into the male realm - a sort of aftershave scent that starts very, very slowly well into the base (2 + hours). This trait I find less than endearing.

My No's: no patchouli chocolate, no coriander. Just my nose - no judgments here.

careless86
careless86

what a great perfume , love it , i wish if it was 1 liter :)

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

It's amazing the texture chocolatey and also caramel that this perfume has.
A benjoin surrounding all other notes, at one point the incense comes up in another, the floral light powdery tone, other the pepper in another some woods, which makes it unique and unmatched quality, where every time you use it, love more and more.
A unique work, and undoubtedly the most intriguing line.

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

This scent reminds me of chocolate, not sure where that is coming from since it is not listed in the notes. A good classy, chocolate fragrance.

juansanchezcanales
juansanchezcanales

I've just been having an interview with Madame Sylvaine Delacourte (Guerlain’s Creative Director), and she has recommended me this fragrance. Madame Delacourte came to Madrid and I have been given the chance to meet her. She is a wonderful, charming and elegant lady. We have been talking about perfume, art and what else, and it's been a real pleasure. And I have to agree with her choice of a perfume for me: Bois d'Armenie is just an incredible fragrance! Subtle, über-elegant, yet magically suggestive, in brings back to my mind so many beautiful memories. It has been a great great discovery for me. Thank you so much, Sylvaine!

hermyonee
hermyonee

this is an unisex fragrance like any other of the collection L'Art et La Matière... it's really wonderfully rich & warm, woody benzoin & some spices; I think maybe it could be even better on a man, but still on a woman's skin it feels just great anyway! So soft, deep, reminds almost of cashemire wood, or cashmeran. It's a bit sweet, but it's all well balanced by the woody notes,& the sharpnes of incense... a masterpiece really.

THIS IS NOT MARKETED AS A MEN'S FRAGRANCE. GUERLAIN ITSELF DOES NOT SPECIFY, AND BOTH NORDSTROM AND NEIMAN MARCUS LIST IT UNDER WOMEN'S FRAGRANCE.

williamvargas
williamvargas

finally got my sample, it is a wonderful fragrance i really enjoy this one, the opening is beautiful..i feel like an aristocrat..i agree about the slight amen comparison..so much more artistic than that...it certainly aims higher. i think annick menardo's fragrances are truly a labor of love..the price of this is staggering though..not sure it would be a wise decision , more of a passionate one of purchasing for me, not sure others would agree it was worth it..when testing it i asked others what do you think...they all loved it...but when i told them this is what it would cost, it was Bill are you crazy?...but just maybe i am, whoa...

Scentrist
Scentrist

This is where I should probably say that this smells like...and while it might have some similarities, that isn't what I associate with Bois D'Armenie.

This isn't complex, but it has a very mellow incense, spice, and woody composition that in the final dry-down seems like a combination of tonka bean and tobacco with a little suede mixed for good measure. It's comforting, it's lush, and feels quite posh on my nose from first spray through dry-down many hours later. And perhaps that is the interplay between the benzoin and other elements, or the softness of the iris -- if I attributed that to any one element, I'd simply be guessing. This is a difficult scent not to like.

The vanillic outcome that some derive seems more to me a creamier tonka bean. Vanilla would seem sharper, where this is subtle and understated. In either case, the elements for me were harmonious, none trying too hard to outshine another. On my skin, the transition was so subtle that top to base notes just flowed effortlessly. This is what a perfume should be, not a sharp contrast from stage to stage.

Gorgeous, silky, smoldering like an ember. Wearing it is a calming yet confident experience. Brilliant.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

There’s a little bit of incense initially, a hint of iris, and a surprisingly sweet vanilla-woody note, and that’s about it. If it’s supposed to smell like benzoin then fine, I get it. I have a love-hate relationship with benzoin because I love the smell but the real material is an unpredictable bitch to work with, so I don’t necessarily want to be reminded of that resinous diva during my leisure time.

Having said that, Bois d’Armenie actually goes well beyond benzoin to produce a cuddly-soft vanilla-iris scent that is almost suede-like. It keeps a low profile but is definitely present and doing its job, sort of like my favorite lightweight gray fleece hoodie that I wear when working. The fleece-y hoodie is the ultimate comfort garment on a cool morning, and the fragrance is the ultimate comfort scent. It’s one of those things that I like and would use often simply because it’s easy on the nose and makes no demands.

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

Why I love librarians from now on....
BDA is a perfume so peculiar I have never encountered before. No monster sillage, in a positive way very subdued, it is understatement to the core !
It is a woody-aromatic scent, named after "Armenian wood" which is paper drenched in benzoine, to be used as incense for rooms.
BDA is a paper perfume. The first impression is wet paper with malt. Interesting !
Paper has a very specific scent which I absolutely love.
BDA is a library. A large room full of ancient, valuable books with all their knowledge and stories collected for decades or even centuries.
The comfort and the tranquility of such a library was perfectly captured in this fantastic scent.
And as is usual in libraries things go very calmly.

BDA starts off calmly, develops calmly, puts you at ease calmly. Very meditative and comforting.
I began to feel "at home" when wearing it. Georgous !

A hint of camomile hits my nostrils but just a whiff of it. I love the smell of camomile but avoid drinking it whenever I can :-) Only a very mild sweet vanilla-like note, just enough to avoid dryness or even bitterness. BDA does not provoke, it soothes !

Why do I love librarians ? Because I reckon they should smell like BDA if they are surrounded by old paper the whole day long :-) At least in my fantasy which was nicely arroused by this drop-dead beautiful Guerlain scent !

I am yet another female jumping on the band-wagon for Bois d'Armenie.

Screw the 'for men only', I will happily douse myself in this and call myself a lady. It's such a compelling and beautiful fragrance, something that should be shared between the genders.

This is everything I pretty much love in perfume; woods, incense, dustiness, spice and heaviness. Although vanilla is not listed as a note, it is most certainly there, particularly in the drydown.

I may just describe this fragrance as creamy vanillic incense with faint, white woods. The pink pepper and the patchouli often like to provide an extra tang to this fragrance, however the sharpness of these notes comes and goes.

Another favourite of mine from this exclusive Guerlain range is Rose Barbare, which I loved more for its complexity rather than the scent itself. The same could be said of Bois d'Armenie. If I ever tire of this fragrance (be damned if I do!), it will be Annick Menardo's exquisite work that will keep me interested.

Most resinous notes tend to be masculine and sometimes fierce, however the resinous drydown of Bois d'Armenie is actually sweet. The sweetness was a shock to my senses, however the more I smelt it on my skin, the more addictive and perfect it seemed.

Bois d'Armenie is elegant, like something I would wear to an upper-class formal event. The lasting power and sillage are of course a reflection of why this fragrance is priced so high. It is unfortunate that in my current financial predicament it will be a few years before I see a bottle of this. I guess it will be an incentive to try harder at University to score that high paying job which will fuel my adoration for expensive perfumes.

Kterhark
Kterhark

When I was a little girl, I always cried at the fable "The Little Match Girl." I always thought she died because no one cared enough to buy matches from her or to let her into their warm, dry house. (now I know it is a warning against daydreaming)

Bois D'Armenie is my warm, dry house. When I wear it I feel enveloped in the deepest comfort; a soft, crackling fire that will never go out (indeed, longevity is over 12 hours)

To me this is one of the most perfect oriental woodies, and I've now sniffed a lot of them in hopes to find one as good as BdA. This is just sensuous. When I first tried it I couldn't stop daydreaming about it, and this is the perfume I ever bought.

Love it.

BIG
BIG

Having tested this fragrance, i've become disappointed, because it didn't deliver and hasn't met my expectations. The drydown on my skin reeks of pink pepper and incense and imho, it's safe to say that it's a toned down version of Azzaro "Visit" - maybe it's because both frags are the creation of A. Menardo. Unfortunately, Bois d'Armenie evoked solely pepper notes on my skin.

Miss Guerlain
Miss Guerlain

A ligther, much more refind version of A*MEN by Thierry Mugler. Compare these two yourself, and you will se!!

I am not sure what accounts for the slight sourness in the opening of Guerlain BOIS D'ARMENIE, but it quickly dissipates, leaving an ever-so-lightly spiced woody vanilla fragrance which compares favorably to Dior DOLCE VITA and is at least unisex, if not better suited for women than for men (as advertised...).

However, at five times the price, and with mediocre staying power, BOIS D'ARMENIE, while certainly nice, will not be sitting next to my shimmering bottle of DOLCE VITA anytime soon. To be honest, I prefer the Dior composition. Just lucky, I guess!

Cassiano
Cassiano

I am in Love!!!
This scent has a smoothness and a creamyness (yes, it is CREAMY!) so fantastic.

The sensation of wearing a vanilla essence all over my body is formidable. However, it’s not the same vanilla of Rochas Lui, for example. By the way, as far as I’m concerned, it doesn’t have vanilla notes in its composition.
It is a “vanilla” sensation, which is a result of the perfect mix of Iris + incense + benzoin + guaiac wood. It has to be that!

It is another love potion made by Guerlain.
And the bottle, with that classic vaporizer, makes it even more irresistible. 10 stars!!!

DuduVonFlapper
DuduVonFlapper

I tested it a few days ago and I've never been so in love of a fragance. Bois D'Arménie is incredibly well done , so Guerlain.
Soft , warm and confortable like an old plaid blanket.
It's like being at home by the fire while it's snowing and raining outside. An amazing feeling really...

But it's too expensive.
Is there a smell-alike fragance?

P.S:sorry for the english mistakes

yvashche
yvashche

I had high expectations for this perfume. I burn papier d'armenie as incense and love the smell. I was hoping for a similar smell in the perfume: that way I could always smell like the cozy-ness and mystery I experienced with the incense. But this perfume did not deliver that. It does smell slightly like a nice warm incense but it does not have any power. The drydown is pleasant but not magnificent. Plus, it smells like just like one of the 4 new perfumes in the Annick Goutal line. The price is astronomical, so its best to invest in a bottle of Montale than this.

Later: I did end up buying this one after trying to decide between the outrageously expensive Guerlains in the Neiman store. After many trials, this is one of my favorite smoky incense scents, though it lacks the creaminess and sweetness that some other reviewers have described.

lilinah
lilinah

We tested this recently. In fact, of all the perfumes we smelled, it was the only one my male friend actually allowed to be sprayed onto his wrist.

Initially i was quite ecstatic. We had been trying to find a men's fragrance without citrus, which he strongly dislikes. And he seemed to like it, too.

But in about 1/2 hour or a bit more, it had dried down to vanilla, granted, a nice vanilla, but vanilla. I like vanilla in cooking, i like vanilla when it is well blended and well balanced, as in Shalimar. But neither he nor i likes something that smells only of vanilla.

Perhaps this would smell different on someone else, but it ended up disappointing us.

I don't know about 'for men.' I love this and I'm quite female. It is supposed to represent the benzoin-scented papers burned in the 1800s as incense and somehow it does give that impression. Light, faintly smoky vanillic incense with wood undertones and an impression of paper. It's never harsh or bright. It's a faint, delicious, present scent, just lovely. Bois d'Armenie is my new favorite. I just wish it wasn't so very expensive. I can't bear people who bathe in their scent and force it on the rest of us, but this one did make me wish I could, just for a moment, bathe in the scent, just so I could wrap myself in it completely. Gorgeous and yes, suitable for men or women.

Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain 4.32 out of 5 based on 250 ratings and 30 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Bois d'Armenie fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Bois d'Armenie, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.