Designers » F-H » Oriental Floral « Groups

Chamade Guerlain for women

Chamade Guerlain for women
dislike

Chamade Guerlain for women Pictures Chamade Guerlain for women Pictures Chamade Guerlain for women Pictures Chamade Guerlain for women Pictures Chamade Guerlain for women Pictures

Chamade was created by Paul Guerlain in 1969, and it was inspired by the Francoise Sagan's novel “La Chamade”. In the time of Napoleon, ‘chamade’ was a very fast drumbeat that called to retreat. This perfume is meant to emulate the heavy heartbeat of a person in love and its fragrance is based on hyacinth, heavy and green, and blackcurrant that can be sensed through the oily hyacinth richness. The fragrant love story is rounded by a pretty bottle in a shape od upside down turned heart, pierced by an arrow – a symbol of surrender to love. The main notes are Turkish rose, ylang-ylang, jasmine, lilac, blackcurrant buds, lily of the valley, galbanum, sandalwood, vetiver, musk, amber, iris, and Tonka bean.

The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Paul Guerlain.

Aldehydes Jasmine Hiacynth Bergamot Rose

N`Aimez Que Moi

Chamade Fragrance Reviews

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Chamade (vintage mid-'80s bottle here) is a dark, powerful herbal chypre opening with a foggy, grey, masculine austerity all over: a bouquet of herbs, humid flowers, musky notes, a powdery side, a dry leather base. But most of all, herbs, like in a man's fougère. The reference here seems to be halfway classic chypres à la Guerlain or the (unfairly underrated) great Guy Laroche, and Cabochard or Habanita, that family of "bitchy", skanky feminine scents, although more refined and adorned here by a beautiful, impalpable cloud of lively, radiant, graceful hyacint-soapy talc notes which are not "on skin" but you can clearly smell them in the sillage (an "effect" I totally love). Basically a classic structure which recalls echoes of memorable chypres, with flowers, woods, herbs and resins, just fairly darker, greener, bitter, more ambiguously sensual and nastier, especially for the first hour or so, almost like a chypre for gentlemen if it wasn't for an overall subtle but perceivably soapy-talc softness and a dark, carnal but feminine sensuality running underneath the blend (aldehydes, flowers, vanilla, musky notes). Classy and compelling like "the great ones", perhaps a little less original as to me it smells pretty much a "déjà-vu" to most extents, but surely worth a try if you are a fan of the genre.

7,5-8/10

Eau de Toilette, New Formulation
Many highly positive reviews of Chamade are of vintage versions, maybe leading people to believe that the more modern/’reformulated’ versions are not worthwhile. I have a new refill bottle, and I compared it to a vintage Parfum de Toilette, and let me say that the new version is very lovely and definitely worth a try—it is an instance of some small tweaks and changes, not a butchering of Chamade that leaves it unrecognizable.

The opening notes are of intense-green galbanum, dusty florals (hyacinth mostly), overlaid with a bit of aldehyde. The heart notes contain a perfectly pink rose—if you have ever smelled a wild tea rose that grows in the woods you know what I mean. Understated, smooth, sweet, gorgeous. The other florals, I smell lilac and jasmine, are very quiet backup notes to the big pink rose. When it’s warm out, and my skin heats up Chamade, I can detect some resinous balsams as well. The green galbanum of Chamade never goes away, and even in the basenotes, the green notes are complimented by a bit of sandalwood and vetiver.

Chamade wears for 6 to 8 hours on my skin, and has soft silage. Stupidly, I almost swapped this away because I wasn’t wearing it much—I already have the EDP that I wear in the winter, and where I live it is winter for about 9 months out of the year. But all summer I have worn Chamade in EDT—I think it works best on warmer skin for sure.

The only big difference I could find between that and the PDT is in the opening—the vintage opening is stronger and more dynamic—it just seems to have more layers to it than the modern version does, and the entire perfume has a bit more orris root and sandalwood present throughout. But that is all. It doesn’t last much longer, and it doesn’t project more (except during the opening.)

So! You don’t have to track down old bottles of Chamade to enjoy it. If you want it, go for it, it wasn’t ruined (unlike my beloved Shalimar Eau De Cologne, which was recently murdered…shed a tear for Shalimar

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

It's taken me a long time to compose a review for Chamade. If I could perhaps hire a renowned poet who understood its' earthy but unearthly beauty, I would. Although I love many Guerlains, my heart belongs to Chamade. Everyone can read the notes, look at the longevity and sillage charts. But one must apply this to the skin and be in awe of Chamade's spell.

To me, this way beyond beautiful floral is a lush, pollen-dusted, narcotic hyacinth. You can *feel* this fragrance. It is like wearing a gossamer Spring cashmere wrap. Chamade soaks into the skin and within about 20 minutes.... nirvana.
(EdT, blue and white cannister, circa late '70's)

ceecee474
ceecee474

I bought a vintage sample of the parfum....I am blown away. I admire you all for finding words for this. I can't find them, it's too beautiful for my vocabulary. I know this is a floral but I'm smelling lots of smoke and leather. Don't know why but I love it a lot. Need more! God, Guerlain is breaking me financially, but don't regret it...how can you regret love? And that's what this smells like:being in love.

aber19
aber19

I tried this perfume in the vintage reformulation at David Jones recently. It was glorious and for a 50mls EDP which was too expensive for me. This beautiful green floral infuses to a rich identical Rouge Hermès smell of sweet lush roses which lasts over nearly 24 hours on the skin which is remarkable. This small square bottle contains this incredible fragrance within its new packaging. While, I was tempted to buy it, I have a 100mls of the EDT Rouge Hermes version. It is definitely worth trying. It represents class, beauty,richness and romance. A genius of perfumery mastery at its best. It makes me feel beautiful, and close to nature and represents wealth and happiness. The quality of ingredients is definitely here, and is appreciated. In all aspects of fragrance quality, silage, perfect balance, I give it 5/5 for all these elements.

Henriette

A few days ago I found a bottle of vintage EdP in a sort of "Perfume's Remainders" little shop. It was crowded with beauties from the past and - needless to say - I went away big a full bag (and and empty wallet)!
I remembered the Chamade EdP from early '90 and how opulent it was, what a symphonic masterpiece it was. The perfectly preserved bottle I've just bought has the same magic potion inside, a dream, a total dream. The flowers blooming on your skin minute by minute, the balmy and woody notes coming out and the superlative lasting power (non existent in the current formulations, alas!).
After the egregious prize winning reformulation of Mitsouko I would love that Monsieur Wasser takes Chamade back to its former life. A timeless masterpiece, the best floral on Earth.
Undoubtely.
Definitely.
Undeniably.
Absolutely.
Chamade, mais oui.

deadidol
deadidol

This one starts off with a massive wall-of-sound green note that sits somewhere between powdery and bitter. It’s a great opening that’s chased by a wild bouquet of florals and aldehydes, but surprisingly the whole scent doesn’t lean too floral, maintaining instead a slightly spiced oriental parity. It’s super vintage smelling and a bit schmaltzy, but buoyant and kind of fun all the same. However, after all the interesting opening stuff has burned off, what’s left is a powder bomb over a snoozy base. While they last, the opening notes are crystalline and expressive—real attention getters—but the remainder just seems to be going through motions.

passionata20
passionata20

01. april 2014

Recently i have recieved a parcel with many vintage/semi-vintage Guerlains and Chamade is one of them. My review is for Parfum de toilette, probably late 80´s -early 90´s full bran new spray bottle in perfect condition. It is a square bottle, and upper part has a "wave" motive. Hope you all get the picture what i am talking about.

I have tried a new verson as well recently, before i bought this one and amongst several classic Guerlains in re-release this one i liked quite a lot amongst with modern "Nahema". Now i can compare the older version and new one and i must say, that the modern is quite true to the one i have. However the modern is bit more agressive and harsh and lacks the drydown of the older one.
For me the older one opens quite harsh as well, i am not prepeared for this kind of scent, and i think one spray would be more than enough for me. All i get upon the first spray is strong mix of galdbanum, aldehydes, clove, rose and peru balsam. Oh yes, there is also quite strong vetyver note i smell in here. To my nose it is quite a chaotic mix of notes adn i am not used to it, to be honest. It is bitter, yet soapy, yet bit cloying and quite sweet stright from the start for me. And it stays that way for quite a long time, oon my skin for at least an hour (1 spray). Then the rose starts to bloom, and i enjoy that stage quite a lot. My mom came into kitchen while i was sitting there and she instanlty asked "My, what that great rosy smell? Is it your new perfume?" She liked it quite much.
After couple of hours i start to smell a shy vetyver note, mixed with lilac and hyacint. It becomes somehow quite soft or either my nose isn´t that good anymore to detect it more clearly (lately i had a bad flu, so i am still recovering and thatś might be the reason, that i don´t smell most of perfumes at the moment as i used to).
I am still undecided about this Guerlain creation, whether i like it or not, i think it might just not suit my personality, or i am still not used to this kind of smells. Sometimes it takes over a year for me to start to appreciate some particular fragrance. I see "Chamade" as a autumn-winter time fragrance and yet we have a very cold spring these days where i live, it still doesn´t suit this time of the year IMO. Will wait until autumn then and retest it later.

P.S. I just happened to notice that there is a mix of notes in this Chamade that reminds me quite a lot of a mix in another (modern) fragrance: "L´agent" EDP by Agent Provocateur. They have that earthy - woody specific undertone which i can´t describe more better, but it is there.

Softlikekitten
Softlikekitten

This is my first ever Perfum - and what a sensual joy it is. Bliss in a bottle... The story of Chamade is well known, but briefly worth re-visiting. The drumbeat of surrender, the heart pierced, the world and heart turned upside down. It's a rare thing - but when rare things happen you need a perfume to capture the feeling - the quintessence of love. The Perfum is a complex and captivating floral - evanescent and eternal. Some things, like Chamade, just are masterpieces - works that repay re-visiting and re-reading and re-feeling. The words come a tumbling out, but sometimes in life saying nothing says everything... My bottle was a gift - for the one woman in this world who made me speechless... and who will always share the scent of my soul... Incroyable... X

Pogomom
Pogomom

This is a review of Vintage Chamade EDT spray from about 1979.

I am the original owner of this large 3 oz spray in the classic blue and white refillable cylinder. The liquid is light tan, slightly cloudy, only 1/3rd is remaining. I recently discovered a shoe box of precious fragrances that I had put away in a closet for almost 20 years. This is one of three Chamades that I found.

I committed myself to a spray from this old bottle from my youth. This had been my favorite scent, along with no 19, throughout my late teens and 20's. It accompanied me from high school, to college, to graduate school, working world, marriage and motherhood. Such a mature scent for someone so young, but I loved it and the sophistication that went along with wearing it. As most of you know, the Guerlains of that era were not easy to love, but Chamade was different.

The initial blast of aldehydes made me afraid that the fragrance had turned bad, but within a few minutes, the excitement had softened into the perfect mix i remembered so well. The river of yummy green aldehydes carried me back to the field of lovely hyacinths softened and supported by the powder and woods that I remembered so well. There is a bit of drama and danger and dirt thrown in, is it the galbanum and benzoin that does that? Such a beautiful composition. The overall feeling is more floral than green, sexy and deep, timeless and complex. The same as it always had been. I need another spray.

brisa74
brisa74

Chamade is a very soapy, elegant perfume. It smells clean and serious, but with a touch of mystery and charm in its waft. I like to wear it anytime.

eveclair
eveclair

Its there, and then its gone an hour later. What I smelled of it was very underwhelming. I think I must have a sample of the reformulation, and I am sad I cant get the original.

Henriette

I have tested wrist to wrist Chamade and Grand Amour.
As a premise I would say that I have been loving and using Chamade for many years, that I find it one of the best perfumes ever not only among the Guerlain's masterpieces but in the whole world.
But it would be untrue denying that the present Chamade is a pale ghost of what it used to be. I hope Monsieur Wasser will come up with a better reformulation as this version does do Chamade no justice at all.
Grand Amour compared to Chamade is stronger and greener in the opening.
Chamade is more flowery in the opening.
Grand Amour proceeds with the greenery and then develops the flowers as a second step, the flowers starting to become more and more prominent as the fragrance settles down.
Chamade develops the green note after the flowers, totally contrary to Grand Amour, but the harmony is very similar.
Grand Amour arrives at the drydown with the green notes still there, just a little less strong, the flowers still prominent, some soap and some powder and all the woods. All together for a grand finale. A wonderful melody from beginning to end never lacking tension, never pausing, never stopping, going on and on for long.
Chamade, the current one, arrives at the drydown so exhausted that all the players seem to have abandoned their place. It's a pity as they were performing so well until they played, why have they gone? They were so good. Please come back and take your seat in the orchestra and the conductor will make you play again. Your music is too good to be dismissed in such a haste. Silence please, let's rehearse a little bit and back again on stage. We wait patiently.
Yours
H.

varykino
varykino

Chamade opens juicy and joyous, with blackcurrant buds and a haze of aldehydes joined by crisp hyacinth and galbanum. This green-gold cloud settles into a powdery, long-lasting hyacinth/iris/rose chord that is so pretty and tender I could just cry! The blackcurrant also sweetens and stays noticeable right through the drydown, which is a meltingly soft, rosy-vanillic amber with the sweetness of tonka and a hint of bonfire smoke (I guess vetiver).

Every time I wear Chamade, I can't get over how perfect it is. It's distractingly beautiful, elegant in its nostalgia, unapologetically romantic, all heart. Not an all-rounder perfume for me; I judge the occasion — I need something with more steel in it some days, and also, Chamade can take a melancholy turn for me on days when I'm already feeling blue. But a favourite for mellow moods, for sure.

I have the EdT and a sample of the perfume. I enjoy both, but prefer the EdT; on me it seems to show up that juicy/jammy blackcurrant note and the rose/iris more, while my perfume sample has more galbanum and aldehydes (though it has a lovely powderiness when it settles). The EdT has ok staying power on me; I get 6-8 hours out of it easily with some sillage for most of that time. I'd like to at least sample the EdP as it seems to be most people's choice, but I'm absolutely happy with my EdT.

tania.sedik
tania.sedik

This really reminds me of chanel no 22 in the drydown

mizz.cindy
mizz.cindy

Chamade was a discovery for me. It smells classic and retro in the best way, but not very predictable.
After the initial green powdery opening of hyacinth with sunny citrus, the florals warm up, giving it a similar vibe as Nahema.
Nahema's rose sings because of the warm sweetness underneath, and this is also the case for Chamade. The florals bloom, but the dry down is what makes Chamade stand out: from a powdery green floral, you go through a warm honeyed rose to a very smokey vanilla. And when I say smokey, I really mean SMOKEY! Almost like a fireplace, I smell hot woods along with warm amber and some true Guerlainesque vanilla.
The green florals still echo, the rose and jasmin stays on my skin the longest and I see the Guerlain watermark shining through the entire proces.
But in the end, this is a transformation in a bottle. And a really good one it is.

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

Chamade is old-fashioned romance in a bottle. A spicy, comforting rose with dimensions to it that u find hard to put your finger on. Chamade wraps it's mysterious aura snugly over you like a patchwork blanket. It then kisses you tenderly with a kiss that lingers throughout the day into dusk, and evokes the warmest of dreams.

aleksandr.dmytrenko
aleksandr.dmytrenko

All i need is love and Chamade.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

Titania is the FAIRY QUEEN in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. I am convinced that this perfume was made especially for her.
It smells regal and ultra feminine, rich, and complex. It's extremely green smelling, like walking through the woods in the evening, on a path lined by folage, and flowers, but it's also light, bright, and sheer like the gossamer wings of a fairy. It's beyond gorgeous!

Kiku
Kiku

"Chamade" is lighter and less complex than most Guerlain's but it is wonderful, a lovely bouquet of
spring flowers dominated by hyacinth(a note that is not used enough in perfumes, in my opinion). But for all it's simplicity there is something mysterious and elusive about "Chamade". It is like lovers meeting in a garden at midnight: private and hidden but intense of feeling. "Chamade" is supposed to mean something like, "rapid drumbeat". Perhaps it is more like two hearts beating as one in anticipation.

missy.stratimirovic
missy.stratimirovic

Absolute perfection. The way this perfume evolves from a green aldehydic spring meadow to a powdery and the most delicious vanilla ever is absolutely stunning. It's creamy, balmy, fresh, rose-y, powdery, sexy but elegant, everything you can imagine. Pls do buy the EDP.

mazion

I bought this many years ago, and found it a most lovely and evocative scent, my favourite, in fact. Having used it up, my friend bought me another bottle for christmas. However, it does not smell the same as the original, and is not as long lasting. Has anyone any idea why this is? I will not be buying this when it runs out.

suhaesa
suhaesa

a floral bouquet.. of the garden of eve..balmy ..smokey ..oily ..rich ..mesmerising ..full..sensuale..a bit woodsy ..aldehydic.. powdery ..greenish..crisp.. alive ..in its own depth..strange as it may sound ..but it reminds me of an old armani perfume.. just called armani made in 1982 but that armani wa much heavier..
i couldn't take flowery perfumes and i still can't take them in unless they are mixed and hidden in the composition ..
very royale..fine.. light yet deep ..its just right.. for those who want a flowery yet aromatic and woodsy balmy composition.. is unique in its own way ..with the gurline heart and soul ..and characteristic vibe..
it pretty modern ..for its time and age.. and still classic in many ways ..its a bit french ..a bit oriental ..and a bit from those asian exotic islands like bally or the maldives ..i can sense an exotic flower.and the toulu and peru balsmas and galbanum make it so rich and the depth that amber and benzoin and sandalwood with vanilla and vetiver make it extra rich

edt in the golden round refialble
93 ml
spray
perfume ratting 4.4 out 5
bottle ratting 4.8 out 5
my own personal liking ratting 4 out 5

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

Greens followed by Aldehydes and jasmine for the first ten minutes. I love it. It reminds me of Chanel No.5, Lanvin Arpege, No.22. Afterwards, the rose becomes prominent mixed with sweet woods (sandalwood?) and greens. Amazing how that changes. There is a lipstick or makeup powder that keeps slipping in that prevents me from enjoying the dry down. I shall try again on skin.

One spray,
Sillage: less than a foot
Longevity: 4 hours

mazion

My favourite scent. Long lasting, people comment how nice it is.Have used it for years, well worth the expense. Nothing compares to it.

id
id

aldehydes, then "hiacynthy" (seems like leather for my nose) roses. Nice, elegant and soft. not sharp or sweet (rather green). A classic, long lasting fragrance with an amazing sillage.

MLK
MLK

Chamade is a gorgeous perfume. I could not stop smelling my wrist when I first sprayed it on.....I had to go back to the Guerlain counter and ask to spray more on me as I loved it so much. I ended up purchasing the refillable 50 ml edp bottle on the day. It is very sophisticated, I love the ylang-ylang and sandalwood, jasmine - all of my favourites. It makes me feel happy when I wear this perfume.....fits me just right.

Migalex
Migalex

The opening is very very green, reminding me of Y, Crystalle, Diorella and Issey Miake's A Scent. It gets very resinous or balsamic later, like many other old Gurelain scents, to me in a very synthetical chemical way.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I was suprised to spray this one and it seemed to open with a strong grapefruit note which must be a combination of the green, citrus and floral notes. Its tender floral heart then takes over and stays on the skin as a soapy, creamy lily of the valley.

aveilhe
aveilhe

Chamade is a three act play: each act is strangely different, but equally moving.

The opening scene is green and sharp, an effect heightened by a blast of aldehydes. It gives you no hint as to what is coming next. Thankfully, the suspense doesn't last for long...

Scene two is the juiciest, freshest rose and hyacinth accord I have ever had the pleasure to smell: so true, so bright, so intoxicating. Jasmine provides a rich "tang" to the floral bouquet.

The final scene opens with amber, dancing along with the rose, hyacinth, and jasmine. The amber is so well-balanced: not too sweet, not too rich, not too powdery...just soothing, warm, and intimate. The final scene goes on for ages -- the floral bouquet ever-so-gracefully steps into the background, and you are left with a gorgeous, soft balsamic warmth (and a faint flowery memory) that lingers and lingers...

I never want this play to end. Bravo!

Shtefitza
Shtefitza

After my afternoon of rediscovering Guerlain, I could not believe how simple Chamade felt. Very simple. Still a true Guerlain, but almost boringly simple, when compared to its more complex predecessors. I will have to give it another chance. Nobody should be measured against classic Guerlain perfumes. :D Not even Chamade... :D Then I will revisit this review.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Chamade is the lighter side of Guerlain while still being recognizably a real, legitimate Guerlain. It is just so fun - joyous and full of life.

I am blessed to have obtained one of the giant sugar-dispenser testers of the extrait.

It's easier to explain it all at once as a beautiful hyacinth praline with blackcurrant and iris jam. Dusty, sweet perfection.

buren
buren

I was still smoking cigarettes & eating meat when I discovered Chamade. I loved its power & depth; it was not incompatible with tobacco, either.
However, 40 years later (non smoking, vegan & "I'm so much younger now"), I prefer lighter scents & lighter application of scent...& distrust lily of the valley on my skin..

TillyWave

Review for EDP (new bottle)

Chamade does so many things that current perfumes do not--it has a strong personality, at times it can be bitter, it smells grown up, it has actual layers and depth to it--if you take a deep breath, it will smell green and rich, but under neath you can easily detect a meadow of flowers, just like when you are outside and caught in a warm crossbreeze. It has subtle changes over time, like you are wearing a different perfume on the hour. It doesn't take the easy way out--it smells like hyacinth, and rooty iris, and REAL resins, which can be surprisingly acrid--it does not smell "fresh & clean." It bears the mark of a perfumer, an artist, and not a corporation and boardroon. Chamade is the odd one out nowadays, and I hope it survives forever.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

Magnificent obsession. Must have more. While I "know" it has florals, what I was really aware all day wearing it was sandalwood, and then musk. Musk as in, not like you are trying to be sexy, you just are. You could wear it to church, but for someone who got very close, I would think it would be irresistible. It had incense qualities to me and oh, I love this.....

ayala
ayala

Chamade is Chamade. You must enjoy it for what it is rather than attempt to classify and categorize it. The magic of Chamade is not so much in the fact that it is so versatile, but rather, in the unusual assembly of notes that are so different, yet harmonize perfectly with one another. Notes that seemingly contradict each other so much you wouldn’t think they’ll get along at all: the briskness of galbanum and the caramely sweetness of vanilla; the fruitiness of black currant buds and the acrid oakmoss; Not to mention the florals and aldehydes in between which on the paper create an unresolved olfactory mess. Along with the evocative bottle design - it is a masterpiece.

peewee
peewee

Wonderful perfume, very feminine and delicate. I had it many years ago and never forgot the scent. Can't find it anymore.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

I definitely surrender. But not in a romantic sense. The vintage sample I got was like an ice pick to the head with the first whiff. I like green but this is an onslaught of green to the head. I could smell the jasmine but that's about it besides all the green notes jangling with the galbanum, hyacinth and ton of aldehydes. I probably should let it develop as these scents are meant to be savoured slowly but I couldn't get past the opening. I know there will be those who love crisp, green scents and I try to be open to all scents but I can't give my heart to Chamade although I wanted very much to after reading the lovely reviews and who could not love the story behind the name? I appreciate the quality and effort that went into its creation but it won't be a love of mine. Definitely worth trying though as this is one in history.

I was so very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to test Chamade in its pure parfum concentration. One whiff of this rare Guerlain masterpiece, and you'll find yourself 'ooohing and ahhhing' all day long.

I found myself quite taken with the somewhat green and Spring-like opening. My only fear was that it would become similar in both style and approach to Mitsouko, which is a well-loved favourite of mine. Thankfully Chamade, although green, is more floral and less dry. It also had an underlying classic powderiness.

On my skin, this fragrance is gentle and endearing. It makes me think of a good little housewife from the 50's, serving up plates of scones with jam and cream. Chamade is quaint and feminine with that good old-fashioned charm.

The heart becomes quite flowery, at which point the greeness becomes less sharp and more smoothed out. On hot skin, or even during Spring and Summer, I find Chamade much more pleasant smelling, however in cold weather it smells oddly like baby wipes. I won't be attempting to wear Chamade during Winter again, that I can promise.

I agree that the galbanum, aldehydes and hyacinth are the notes that sum up Chamade the best. In the pure parfum, I find the rose less dominant, and if noticeable at all, is fresh rather than richly scented. Another interesting thing I find, is the somewhat sugary drydown. At first I braced myself for something nauseating, however what I smell is rather befitting of the whole composition. The vanillary sweetness compliments the dusty, green florals perfectly.

I'm really happy to have found this fragrance, and even more pleased with the sillage and longevity. Do keep in mind however, that this review is for the pure parfum and that the EDT and EDP may differ considerably.

Jellybean
Jellybean

Rich creamy floral with citrussy hues. Aldehydes, benzoin, jasmine and lilacs are at the top, with some smokiness added. Most likely aldehydes that give that illusion of incense present. Wonderful creamy drydown, alluring that takes you way back. I imagine Brigitte Bardot would wear something like this.
This is again one of Guerlain vintage masterpieces.
Always, all the very best:)!

Midnight50

I HAVE AN OLD BOTTLE OF CHAMADE, IT WAS GREAT CHAMADE, NOT TOO BAD THE NEW CHAMADE BUT ANOTHER STORY.

jrichart
jrichart

Chamade de Guerlain es un hermoso perfume para llevar puesto una tarde o noche primaveral. Es un Bouquet de varías flores cuyo jarrón es una clásica guerlinade, en este caso balsámica. Yo pedí una muestra a the perfumed court del eau de toilette de Chamade y posteriormente pedí a the posh peasant otra de Chamade eau de parfum. He de decir, en mi humilde opinión, que me gusto más el eau de toilette, contrario a lo que se podría pensar, lo ví mas aéreo, mas verde o incluso con tintes chipres. El eau de parfum me defraudó un poco lo encontré algo frío, excesivamente denso, muy balsámico, lineal y con poca proyección y sillage, aunque no poca perdurabilidad. El extracto de perfume de Chamade no lo he probado aún pero según dicen los usuarios asiduos de los perfumes femeninos de Guerlain afirman que las verdaderas obras maestras de Guerlain estan en la concentración extracto de perfume o perfume no en los edc, edt y edp. En resumen, si me comprara un frasco o pidiera otra muestra, sería Chamade edt, el eau de parfum lo dejaría como mucho para usar una noche invernal y el parfum o extracto de perfume no lo he probado pero dado a lo etereo que dicen que es compraria una muestra aunque no así un frasco por el precio de un extracto de perfume claro está. Decir también, que Chamade es uno de los mejores florales que se han creado en la historia de la perfumería.

Baldric
Baldric

The opening reminds me of my middle school years and I'm not sure why. Aldehydes, green, sharp but not excessively so. Love the development on this one but not in my top 3 guerlains.

karien1

I am from South Africa and I can fully relate to the scene in 'Out of Africa' .... Chamade to me is classy and stylish. I received a sample of this perfume in 1976 at a Matric Farewell and have been wearing the perfume on and off over the years. Unfortunately I can't buy it in South Africa

neferteria
neferteria

Some scents just seem to become part of the wearer, and Chamade is that way with me. It's as if I was born wearing Chamade! This is just a beautiful floral but not cloyingly so from its opening to its closing moments. A sense of peace and calm come over me wearing it. I have completely surrendered to it!

Very classy & elegant really.
I've acquired a vintage 1980 production EDT Chamade, to me this is even better than many niche perfumes today. In the old days an EDT is equivalent to an EDP today!

MeganFrankie
MeganFrankie

Chamade, how deeply did I not know you. I thought it was going to be about hot, hot summer glowing warm red and the pulsing heartbeat of utter defeat - a scent one could warm to in the middle of winter.

It took a while when at last I realised how cool and aloof the fragrance is, with its icy aldehydes, hyacinth and hints of sandlewood and musk that exude a subtle kind of sweet sadness. The sweet sadness of a beautiful woman who takes care with her appearance, wearing a perfectly tailored yet simple and stylish shift and elegant shoes in the heat, her hair and makeup just so, despite the utter tragedy of a life not fully realised. No leaping around with timbrels, dreadlocks and indian skirts for her, she is a mistress of iron self control, of living two lives - the sedate, mundane, dutiful reality and the hidden tempest of imagination. The restrained kind of elegance is so what the suburban 1960s was really like for me away from the popular mass media and it speaks volumes to me now.

Chamade is alluring, smouldering yet cool and always sensuously beautiful - like an extra-marital affair without the bother of having to have one. Wear it when you feel like putting on a great appearance, in spite of the drumming insensibility of it all...

artsyrn
artsyrn

This scent is amazing! It opens with a strong(aldehydic), warm. soapy sweet burst then drys on me into a softer, powdery sandlewood with a hint of vanilla and faint rose accord. The sillage is fantastic! I love Guerlain fragrance.

HazelMae
HazelMae

This was recommended to me when I was looking for a replacement for Laura Ashley No 1. Although they are very different scents, it was a good suggestion because I wanted a floral that was crisp and a little tart without being too aggressively green. The opening is dominated by galbanum but as mentioned by others it dries down to a much softer fragrance with a great deal of subtle nuance. I feel that I have only scratched the surface of this scent.

I wish Guerlain would honor this fragrance with a decent container instead of just the ungodly, dated-looking meteorite thing; which looks like it would be described in the Avon catalog as "goldtone".

mariana1974
mariana1974

I was lucky enough and got a vintage EdT online :) At first it comes on very strong, but the drydown is lovely, sweet spicy. Just like mr. Turin says, it's as if they were two different fragrances. This is great for a stroll in the park, it's not so much in your face, just give it some time and you'll enjoy the crispness.

cryptic
cryptic

So many of the Guerlains are timeless. Chamade came out at the end of the turbulent, musk-and-patchouli Sixties, but you would never know it.

I've always associated this fragrance with the group of elegant women that surrounded Truman Capote. He called them his "swans," and the ones I remember are Babe Paley, Slim Keith and C.Z. Guest, but there might have been others. Of course, I have no idea what kind of perfume those ladies wore, but Chamade seems to have been created with that kind of lovely woman in mind.

boruvka44
boruvka44

For those, who like the green powder soap in Chanel no.19, but find it too sharp, too green or wet, too strange. Chamade is comforting and soft. Drydown is different from the bitter chypre top (first hour or two) - hiacynth with sweeter vanilla and sandalwood, lasts for hours... Very feminine and classy and I love the smell of fresh blue hiacynths, it's one of the most beautiful smells on earth.
Hermés Rouge is very similar to Chamade.

Inche
Inche

I think Chamade is very special.I have vintage one-timeless.I love Guerlains.

Galya
Galya

I hate galbanum here ,i had vintage that procated in me allergy .i feel a lot of dust here,no ,better to try....

jtd
jtd

Chamade uses scent to illustrate texture and time. The timeframe suggests lushness and leisure. As for texture, think of juiciness, waxiness, powderiness all braided together. It’s alternately each of these and then all simultaneously. The textures give a sense of gravity and dimension. There is a dense core with other bits hovering around it like a layered atmosphere.

Note: You’ve just read a stunningly dull example of the limits of my ability to write about perfume. Would you guess that I consider Chamade one of the few perfect perfumes? That I’m in awe of it each time I wear it?

from scenthurdle.com

Mimmi
Mimmi

Galbanum and aldehydes kick this one off with a dose of "retro", but what follows is too classy and unique to ever be outdated. As with distinct personlities you either get along or you don't. I do, and I love Chamade.
A single rose in full bloom surrounded by some small whites, some freshly cut hyacinth and lush greens in all shades. If You like green florals - this is a rose for You. Balsam and tonka are softening the vetiver at the base. The soft slightly powdery dry-down reveal a touch of powdery vanilla - very "Guerlain".
The pastel floral nuances are very comforting to wear in the dark winter, just as the soft tonka base is perfect in the cold. My PdT has great staying power, and a little sillage aswell.

paulie86
paulie86

I tried Chamade edt again today with an open mind it was pretty but didn't really wow me; I'm sorry die hard Chamade lovers!. The discounter in my neighborhood carries vintage guerlains which are a treat to test. It opens with a dose of galbanum and oakmoss it's tangy with citrus with a hint of something metallic in the background, Chamade is very dry but dewy at the same time. Chamade reminds me of an early spring morning when the sun hasnt warmed the grass yet and there's a blanket of cold water droplets. Then all of a sudden Chamade takes a turn for the worse it starts to smell like dry cardboard this lasts for a couple hours then morphs into a soft garden floral. I'm smelling it now after applying it around four this afternoon and it's died down to a soft green version of the guerlinade. I appreciate This Guerlain masterpiece for the craftsmanship alone but I don't think it's for me.

krmarich
krmarich

Chamade was lost in translation. It is a massive pink floral beauty that never caught on in the USA. Like all Guerlains, it is poetry in a bottle. Its takes hours to develope. The heart note is a fantastic pink rose that can last 24 hours+! Its has this promise of romance, yet it is unrequited.

It opens with bold aldehdes(never common for Guerlain) and developes to a rich rose jasmine vanilla sorbet that intoxicates, flirts and finally lets go. You are left with this isolated, brilliant rose bare that almost has a funerary quality. The currant and clove lends a gourmand quality.

Romantic, yet somber, it is for rose lover only.

Celebrity-Catherine Deneuve

chuaalba

Espectacular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ellenwolfie
ellenwolfie

Memories of a very special love affair.

mediterranean
mediterranean

Have you seen the film Out of Africa with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford?
Do you remember the final scene when she is leaving Africa and he has died and she says that there are always two lions on his grave and she has to remember to tell him about it? That scene with the sun over the golden fields, the end of a period in her life,the loss of her love, a man that she could never have had... That is Chamade. So utterly beautiful, romantic but in the end sad.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Chamade EDP start green, sweet and sharp (a more light and beautiful opening than Chanel 19).

Like Most Of Guerlain's Fragrances Chamade also makes some transformation, from a green sharp opening, to a lovely soft balsamy and sandalwood dry down, with typical hints of the powdery and vanillic 'Guerlinade'.

The lasting power is very good, so apply sparingly as it is rather strong.

Rouge by Hermes, smell exactly the same, but without the green sharp opening!

kelleysmall
kelleysmall

Chamade is probably my favourite perfume aside from Rumba; I've worn this since age 19, when I first smelled it at Eaton's in Toronto, at the magnificent Guerlain counter, when they had those gigantic glass perfume dummies of all the Guerlain bottles. I tried other scents but this one has stayed with me since; I loved the metallic green top-note that I hadn't smelled ever before. There is nothing like Chamade; however, I think Parfum d'Hermes tried to copy it. I don't see the blackcurrant buds listed in the notes, though, and this was supposed to have been the first perfume to use them. The brilliant bottle is one of the best in the industry :) Try it in the parfum concentration to get the full bouquet.

guest_Pirri
guest_Pirri

Chamade was my favorite fragance in 90's it was a gift from my boyfriend who was 10years older than me . this fragance get back happy days mmhh!. Its a pity its not found in Mexico. someone know how to get this fragance in USA or Mexico. 9/3/2010

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

I have been collecting and hoarding classic Guerlain samples for a little while now, ready for a 'marathon' but I was so inspired by Maatgirls's impassioned review that I decided to break protocol and try out Chamade EDP.

I find the opening somewhat disappointing, it smelt dated and aldehydic, like some perfumes my grandmother used to have. A nice memory but unwearable for me.

And then all of a sudden, like the magic of a thousand spring flowers appearing out of the ground, it bloomed into a remarkable timeless floral extravaganza. Ahhh, this is what Maatgirl was talking about!

I actually don't really smell any differentiated floral notes, to me it smells like 'floral perfume' but this is a good thing - it is smooth, well blended, sophisticated and just plain good quality old-school perfumery. (But then again, perhaps I am smelling the Lilac? 5th Avenue has the same blended floral perfumey effect on me. Further investigation is required).

Drydown is crisp and soapy which is how I like my floral drydowns. There is nothing here to muddle the flowers into a dirty wilted cesspool at the end. It is pure cleanliness from tip to toe.

All in all, I am impressed and excited by this classic.

maatgirl
maatgirl

My first review on Fragrantica...I'm excited!
For my first review--my favorite fragrance. Chamade and I have a long history together...when I was nine my mom got a sample of Chamade at a local department store and passed it along to me...I was entranced from the beginning. It started out youthful, springy, green...then it got deep and flowery and to my young mind, mysterious...it made me think of the boy I liked back then (ah, the innocence of youth!) I just rediscovered it somewhat recently, and to me it is the "man (woman) of all seasons" fragrance. It is a fragrance a woman wears but it doesn't wear her; however, though she possesses it, she does not truly 'own' it...it adds a dimension to her--a secret garden of love and delight, filled with innocence and experience. Six stars on a scale of one to five.

MK
MK

Fantastic and perfect! I seems I fell in love with it!Too long - lasting and suits for evening and special wearing. But sometimes I wouldn't except to make my day special with Chamade. EDP.

Sissi
Sissi

The opening starts harshly with green notes Hyacinth and Aldehyde as it dries down it gets a little more softer and warmer consisting of amber dry sandalwood
and the oils of the tolu Balsam and i can
detect nuances of civet in little patches
Lilac with it's sharpness and spiciness
with it's delicate powdery rose holds
it own in a faintest of ways i'm going to be blunt here so.

do you think you'll Surrender to the
Magic of Chamade Unfortunily No.
Do you love the bottle Yes.
do you hate this fragrance no but it's not worth to purchase again.

janudy
janudy

I think the reviews here capture the love for Chamade and I can't add anything new to all the good things said. I love this. If my house were on fire and I could only save one perfume, it would be this.

mymlan
mymlan

My greatest love. It is the first day of my summer holiday and I'm free to do whatever I want. I'm rolling around on my lawn covered by common Dandelions, and the yellow pollen is hitting my nose in a compact, soft way. My white summer dress is getting green from the grass and yellow from the flower powder and I'm enjoying every minute, yes second, of this over-excited rest.

Chamade is a fragrance of freedom, friends and family: You are loved wherever you look. By friends, family and nature. Chamade is at the same time so beautifully plain and simple: bohemic: a hippie fragrance of love love love... and happiness.

This pdt is the most greenest-yellowish fragrance I ever had, yet the most soft and romantic. Chamade is my greatest love in it's humble prefection.

Halvah
Halvah

Chamade edt is a treasure, very hard to find in my country, so I wear it only for special occasions. The first few minutes are not really nice, almost unisex, like Mitsouko edt for example. At this pointI find some resemblance with Chanel No19 - it might be the sharp green notes with the hint of galbanum, but I'm not sure. However, it turns into a nice powdery oriental floral very quickly, with tones of beautiful flowers in the middle, and warm, silky soft powdery feminine undertones. As the time goes it gets more warm and sensual, but not sweet. It an elegant, very chic French fragrance which I prefer to wear for job interviews or family celebrations when i want to show off my best, and not necesserily all my real individuality.

msskopik
msskopik

This was the perfume I wore in high school, during a time when "Charlie", Jontue and musk were the rage. As I 've mentioned to many, fragrance is a luxury that can be worn at any given time- no color co-ordination, fabric or shoes to tie in with.
It was a defining fragrance to me. Many of my classmates shopped the whole weekend for the perfect outfit, yet never called attention to the perfume counter. In spite of my lack of fashion sense,fragrance was my strong point during that delicate point of my life.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I'll preface this by saying that the first sample I tried was the EdT, recently acquired, and may have been reformulated. Otherwise, based on this sample, I find it hard to understand the huge enthusiasm for this scent. It's a nice enough scent, with no unpleasant notes at any point, but to say that is, of course, damning with faint praise. I didn't get much at all coming right out of the vial, but after a couple of minutes the scent bloomed and developed into a pleasant, somewhat generic floral with quite a bit of sillage. After an hour or so, the rose really comes through, but there are so many other nicer rose fragrances that I wouldn't choose this one.

In contrast, the EdP is a beautiful classic fragrance that starts out with some bitter, green, aldehydic citrus notes along with a hint of fresh spring flowers. The flowers are crisp, clean, and slightly green without being sharp. The overall impression is consistent with notes of hyacinth, ylang-ylang and rose. No one flower is dominant, so the whole has that characteristic “vintage” note that I find in many of the older perfumes.

It seems like a perfume from a simpler, happier time when people could sleep in, spend time socializing in person, and go dancing. I know it was released in 1969, so it’s hippie-era vintage, not flapper-era, but to me it still evokes the older classics from the first half of the 20th century. The spring flowers gradually become a little softer and powdery as it dries down to a vanilla-infused base.

I find the EdP much different from the EdT, and considerably better. If you want to try this fragrance, I would highly recommend the EdP.

floriana
floriana

Very sophisticated floral oriental fragrance with some aldehide notes, its core rose is composed of several distinct notes which some believe to be artificial. However, it is very sensual, although not outright erotic, and controled at the same time, its direct appeal will crush you.

I spent the day in a bed of velvety pink roses. I spent the day in CHAMADE. It took some time to break through, as

I initially found myself reminiscing about childhood experiences with a girl who had some kind of Barbie perfume that smelled a lot like the first waft of CHAMADE. A bit dusty and nostalgic, like Hitchcock's REBECCA. With time, however, I found myself surrounded by roses, roses, and more roses, as the dust and the memories all faded away.

There are some days when a bed of velvety pink roses is quite inviting to me. I'll stay home with my divine furry white feline and wear CHAMADE on those days.

In fact, while I'm on the topic, and as odd as this will sound, my cat often smells like a bed of roses himself, which has always struck me as one of the world's great unsolved mysteries. Can someone please explain why/how it can be that mon cher chat smells like a bed of roses?????

guest_peewee
guest_peewee

I really love Chamade. It's one of my favorite perfums. It's a pity it's not found in Brazil anymore.

guest_chamade
guest_chamade

I was told many years ago that they had to change the original formula because of an embargo in Iran. (One of the ingredients was from this country.) If this is so, how can I get a bottle of the original?

ScentMode
ScentMode

aaah how can anyone say this scent has no "charm"?
It may not be for everyone and is probably not one for very young girls or ladies but a single drop of this elixir is enough and it can quite literally "charm" the people around in the blink of an eye. I have never worn it without receiving compliments , a thing that is quite rare when wearing a scent.
It's green but warm; animalic but crisp, powdery but dirty, sophistiacted but so sexy, mysterious but clear. A real conundrum of a scent and one that has taken me years to dare to wear just because it is so beautiful.

Kterhark
Kterhark

this is one of two fragrances (out of 60 or so) that got an unsolicited 'I like that' from my boyfriend. so I have to like it too! The opening is a little too sharp, but I do like the powdery dry down. This is hanging beautifully on my clothes, and over all is one I'll come back to in a few months to see if i want to add it to my collection.

EvelynDFrech
EvelynDFrech

A dear friend of mine uses Chamade. It is p e r f e c t on her, so perfect that I must try it on. Even though it's really hers.
She used Shalimar before, and this is so much better.

AnnYMac
AnnYMac

Chamade was my first Guerlain fragrance - 15 yrs ago, and became the "training wheels" to my growing love for the Guerlain classics. I bought it (based on the top notes and was the favorite of the 3 scents I tried) while vacationing in SF at a Guerlain boutique. It smelled so lush and elegant! It didn't take long for me to grow to love the powdery drydown. So feminine....

siren1
siren1

Its my childhood perfume and i love it .

Slightly powdery dry down and a bit dated, but rather nice in an old fashioned way. Over notes are a bit like cosmetic powder, but under notes are creamy floral. First application is dreadful, but passes quickly

caribou55313
caribou55313

Love this one ... rich green florals, sharp blackcurrant bud, plush sandalwood and orris notes - piquant with a hint of powder.

2007

CHAMADE for WOMEN by Guerlain EDT SPRAY REFILLABLE 3.1 OZ
CHAMADE for WOMEN by Guerlain EDT SPRAY REFILLABLE 3.1 OZ
Guerlain Chamade Eau De Toilette Refillable Spray 93ml 3.1oz
Guerlain Chamade Eau De Toilette Refillable Spray 93ml 3.1oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Chamade fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Chamade, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Chamade by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Chamade by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.