Designers » F-H » Woody Chypre « Groups

Coriolan Guerlain for men

Coriolan Guerlain for men
dislike

Cariolan is a men’s fragrance, presented in 1998 in a woody chypre composition. It is dedicated to the man full of contrast: to Coriolan, a legendary Roman general who was said to be powerful and strong, pride and confident, barer of nobility, braveness and love. Coriolanus has inspired Shakespeare, Plutarh and Beethoven. He was the man who accomplished all of his goals, not because of his glory, but because of a woman he loved. The character of this great man inspired Jean-Paul Guerlain to make this fragrance; to celebrate freedom of the spirit and love with carnal pleasures and seduction. The perfume is made out of lemon leafs, bergamot, neroli and petit grain at the top notes, its heart ticking in a passionate rhythm of spicy fusion of ginger, nutmeg, ylang-ylang and gorse; settling at the warm woody base of patchouli, benzoin and leather. The elegant glass bottle was designed by Jean-Paul Guerlian in association with Robert Granai. The top and the curves on the side of the bottle are made out of bronze. Cariolan is available as 50 and 100 ml edt along with the additional cosmetic line: lotion, aftershave, shampoo, deodorant, bath cream…

Lemon Sage Neroli Petitgrain Bergamot

Silver Cologne

Coriolan Fragrance Reviews

silentman26
silentman26

Sophisticated and intoxicating. Smooth rich pepper. Thick vetiver, neroli and patchouli. And a hint of leather. Explosive sillage. Understated elegance for special occasions ... A classic!

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

Why are there 7 reviewers saying that this fragrance reminded them of Chamade pour Homme? Have they ever really smelled Chamade pour Homme or were they mixed up Chamade pour Homme with L'Âme d'Un Héros?

LOVE GUERLAIN
LOVE GUERLAIN

It'S a great one! for those who liked it and still want to have it... it has been reintroduced in the line of the Parisians under the name of L'AME D'UN HERO!
You can still get it :)

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

Coriolan is sophisticated, classic and one of the best in the Guerlain line. I first bought this beautiful fragrance when it was introduced. The oakmoss, bergamot, vetiver and lemon make it a very special chypre fragrance. I love it! To me it is suitable for both day time and nigh time wear, all year round. I think this fragrance would also please the ladies.

Redbeard
Redbeard

A violet powerhouse? This to me is the restrained, tasteful answer to some of the over-the-top acrid pugent herbal wood scents of the 80s. Coriolan is the scent of a strong man, but not a blaringly strong scent; you won't have to be as careful applying it as you would with Aramis or Antaeus. I expected it to open as a somewhat dry wood scent, but it has a lot of florals that sweeten the wood considerably. These greenish florals give it a little of that otherworldly aura that I find in violet scents, or synthetic florals like Prada Amber. I'm not seeing much evolution, but that doesn't bother me. Just the fact that it stays within reason is noteworthy for this genre. As the violet (or whatever it is) becomes more and more obvious in the base, I can fully appreciate how it has tamed the beast of the 80s powerhouse. Resinous wood remains underneath, but still without any offputting sharpness (a lack of the usual patchouli?) I guess you should go pour some Grey Flannel into your Jules!

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

I did a blind buy of this one because it was reasonably priced and the notes composition intrigued me. Okay, I've only been wearing it for an hour or so and...well, let's just say it is a unique fragrance that I do kinda like, but for me it's going to take some time to evaluate/appreciate this one.

Coriolan is certainly a very woody-spicy scent that projects like a beast for the first hour, although I didn't receive a lot of praise from the ladies - they didn't like it. Offhand, I would say this is one of the driest fragrances I have experienced.

Update: hard to believe there is no pepper in this fragrance (don't see it in the notes listed above) since I can feel it burning my eyes and nostrils during the first 90-minutes. Overall, this fragrances lasted 7-8 hours on my skin, and projected moderately after its initial near-beast mode opening. Overall, this fragrance comes across as being a big bitter/sour, and I was a little surprised coriander faded so quickly. I'm glad that I picked-up this fragrance, but I'm having trouble coming up with occasions to wear it since I do not feel this fragrances is going to generate many compliments. We shall see.

daithi
daithi

Mossy, woody, with hints of incense, this was the last "true chypre" of the history of perfumery. And probably, the last great Guerlain. Incredibly beautiful.

Although Guerlain says that the exclusive "L'Âme d'un héros" was a relaunch of "Coriolan", in my opinion it's not. "L'Âme d'un héros" is extremely similar but, due to IFRA restrictions, has lost the dark and mossy notes that made "Coriolan" so special.

iMaverick
iMaverick

I've had this scent for over 5 years and I've probably sprayed this on myself maybe 6 times. Very chypre, more fougere than aromatic, with a sweet citrus floral edge to it. There is also a bitterness that sets the chypre and fougere notes on rubbery fire. A manly scent with a romantic tenderness to it. Old world classic feel to it. Serious, but more upbeat compared to the aromatic leather like Paco Rabanne PH, or the powdery fougere of Grey Flannel.

Ironically, Chaleur d'Animale PH, smells a lot like Coriolan to my nose, but smells more fresher and more alluring. Coriolan seems a bit too stuffy for me. For the one who thinks plaid shirts, tweed jackets, wool slacks and penny loafers is casual weekend-at-home wear.

Weird, but one spray smells fine. Two sprays smells overbearing and obnoxious. Funny how my mind perceives it that way.

jht4060
jht4060

Guerlain Coriolan is a slightly ginger-spicy woody chypre. Especially for men, being unused to them, chypres are an acquired taste - they share a sort of aromatic dry-country tone that can feel uncomfortable at first. When I first started to learn about perfumes I could not figure out what chypre really meant (usually described as citrus, labdanum and oakmoss, often with patchouli, but there were some chypres that listed NONE of those notes). After experiencing many, I now think I have the chypre olfactory gestalt, and Coriolan is fairly typical, with gingery spice substituting for the more common floral embellishment. The top note of Coriolan has a lot of stemmy-bitter-woody citrus (petit grain) followed by a gingery but still rather chypre middle and a classic oakmoss base enriched by vetiver and patchouli. Some people dislike the bottle but I think it is rather classy looking - though it isn't really metal, it looks authentic. Perhaps they don't like curves in a men's bottle, or perhaps they are disturbed that it looks a bit like a middle aged pear-shaped man with no arms and no legs.

The Joel Cairo character in The Maltese Falcon is described as carrying a chypre-scented handerchief. I love it when specific perfumes (or types) make it into literature. In this case, it is supposed to be part of his gay persona, but that is more the scented hankie than the chypre. Many chypres are not in the least bit feminine smelling to me, indeed some are quite rough and astringent, more like a workman's calloused palm than a lady's delicate finger.

manzoor86
manzoor86

fresh oak mosses,i never liked the oak moss of bijan men and aramis,i don't know their was some problem with its blending or my nose,but when i sniffed it for the first time i started liking oak moss,where it is filled from head to base,luckily i have got a vintage bottle of it,same year it was launched,bottle is strange but the juice is truly speaking heart wetting,guerlain has always inspired me,G you did it again!

Aafridi
Aafridi

On the very first sniff I love it and is now my signature scent. Excellent, elegant and wonderful stuff for a man who is a man.

bizz1001
bizz1001

Fragrance for "real" men but it's so heavy even those macho people will have some trouble wearing it.. Like it was already said brilliant but difficult to wear..

fuggerone
fuggerone

a very generic citrusy scent with very low duration and an horrible bottle, I can understand why it was discontinued was a bland imitation of YSL PH or Capucci ph 1967

Laurensz
Laurensz

Coriolan is not a scent where you can pinpoint the individual elements, at least I cannot. Think it is a classic scent, suitable for office wear as it is a modest and nice scent. On my skin it disappears rather quickly but I do get small whiffs during the day. Pleasant perfume but not the best Guerlain imo.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I don't know what to think of this. It smells generic. My wife likes it - but I think I need to give it another test. A single spray on my arm isn't enough.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

Seriously my all time favourite fragrance, and I for one would beg Guerlain to reintroduce it, Spicy, Citrussy, Warm, I've loved it since I was 21, then I have a nose for all of Guerlain's glorious fragrances, this is the best, L'ames d'un heros is very similar but way to expensive, Come on Guerlain reintroduce this classic please :-)

Castor
Castor

Dry, indeed. Citric notes abound morphing into acute spicy notes, no "guerlinade" at all. As it has been said, it is not groundbraking, but very enjoyable in its originality.

Some said it is similar to Givenchy's Insense, not to my nose for Corolian lacks the floral notes so prevalent in Givenchy's.

As to points in common with other Guerlains, konwledgeable people on this House mention that it has been reworked and relaunched under the names L'Âme d'Un Héros and Chamade pour Homme. I have not smelt this last one, but all I can tell is that the original Chamade is a femenine chypre that is as femenine as it can be; it does not have anything to do with Corolian.

jozemo
jozemo

a straight in your face scent,long lasting with a pleasant dry down on the skin,a gentleman's fragance.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

This is a very peculiar fragrance. It's full of personality and character and plays many balancing acts with ingredients like many of Jean-Paul Guerlain's scents. What is different from the majority of his scents, however, is that this fragrance isn't a comfortable or easygoing fragrance. This is serious and blunt, like a striking weapon. Distinctly masculine with an intense peculiarity from the Ylang-Ylang, it's almost alien in its approach to the masculine chypre. It's dirty, sour, and a bit metallic, but not at all in the natural way Yatagan is. It doesn't emphasize the natural side of dark woods; this is the scent of unnatural happenings deep in the cover of the canopy. Fantastic but difficult to wear.

nero77
nero77

Very green, very peppery scent. Almost herbal opening,slightly bitter at first, but very well blended in the drydown. Could be considered a mature gentlemens scent. However a very green, fresh and sharp fragrance which could be considered a classic. To me definitely an "outdoors" kind of scent, but on the right person this would certainly give a very positive, elegant and refined type of masculine vibe. Which would be very welcome. Would recommend both for formal and informal wear.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

Benchmark citrus fragrance for men. Chamomile chypre with an earthy truth to tell in its oakmoss drydown.

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

I never thought I would be able to get past the weird grassy, sour weed like opening, but voila, suddenly it doesn't offend me like it used to. I didn't get rid of this because it has a lovely base, and drys down to a very beautiful spring type perfume. It is scary how my nose is changing. I'm not sure I can trust it to know what smells bad to most now, as I have become very acclimated to some of the most powerful smells that are classified as off putting to most. This is another one I shall wear for myself around the house, and slowly gauge its effects. I am still as impressed with the base as I always have been, and now I don't wince at the opening. Am I becoming one of those old stinky guys?

Coriolan is definitely overlooked. Maybe because It's not aimed to wow you, it's not groundbreaking, it's not trendy or modern but let me tell you it is extremely solid. A dry woody chypre with a bittersweet character. Sharp and bitter in the opening with green citruses joined by juniper, various herbs and peppery hints, mossy/woody with leather refinements and subtle floral patterns in the outstanding drydown (which is the real point of strength of this composition). Patchouli and some vetiver reinforce the overall classic quality.

Serious and classy. Yet another "reliable" fragrance by Guerlain.

Rating: 7.5-8/10

sharron
sharron

I agree completely with originaldeftom's review: this is a scent that I love wearing on myself, and also want to smell on that sexy, elegant, but racy gentleman (the kind that takes you for a fast curvy ride in his convertible sportscar that leaves you breathless and exhilarated). Classic; I hope to always have this scent in my life.

krmarich
krmarich

Ah, Coriolan, an obscure classic trapped in the past. It was 1998, however and it defied all of the sweet aquatic trends. It tipped a hat to Aramis and the chypres of the past. It was a dramatic revival that worked perfectly and failed commercially. Did anyone think it would really catch on?

Oakmoss was the dominant note here. In a few years it would be phased out due to "allergy" concerns. Would Guerlain ever produce a hit for men? Thankfully, no! Popularity breeds contempt, but then I am getting ahead of myself. No, its not "Old School". This is perhaps the last true chypre to debut in the 20th century. Chypre is the original unisex class. Everybody can enjoy it.

Dry, refined and spicy, Coriolan was a masterpiece. I treasure it and maybe one day in the future we shall see it revived in all of its golden green glory!

jtd
jtd

I remember this one from a few years ago as a sort of mild fougère with a juniper note. I prefer a hard, rougher fougère. The common ground of lavender and coumarin is small yet significant, but their difference is what makes a fougère hold together. The fougère accord works well with broad brush strokes.

I stupidly gave away my bottle of Coriolan a few years ago, and with the retrospect of sense memory have dwelled on it ever since. I bought it again yesterday and had such a great surprise. It’s not a weak fougère, it’s a chypre. And a nicely blended, well proportioned one at that. What on earth had I been thinking? Especially in an age of oakmoss nostalgia, what a beautiful thing to fall in my lap. What I disliked when I viewed it as a fougère (timid, finicky) is exactly what makes it so pleasant as a chypre. It is harmonious from start to finish; there are no elbows jutting out. There is the bitterness of the bergamot and moss, but it is balanced by a sweet quality from the juniper. There is a cool herbal quality, but it doesn’t read as culinary. I don’t find it particularly forceful and the sillage is minimal to moderate. I think the blended quality could be read as noncommital, but I find its ease very comfortable.

Count_de_Farussi
Count_de_Farussi

The nicest fragrances ever created for a man

oxm
oxm

Coriolan by Guerlain is a fragrance for men to approach the classic, spicy and slightly grassy opening, but it is a sweet spicy note of ginger probably due to the heart becomes almost powdery soft, muffled as it gives a feeling very good, the woody and aromatic stops just on the skin, but that little is great.This fragrance reminds me of Basile's men but Coriolan has something charming and intimate.
The cold season is his kingdom.
Maybe not for everyone, but I think that many women
could wear it even if it is a unisex fragrance, Guerlain, but it is also this: magic, sweetness and romance.
Guerlandious.

velb95
velb95

If you want to purchase Coriolan pour Homme (you can make an order via credit card), you should contact Maison Guerlain boutique in 68 Champs-Elysees in France at phone: +33145625257 or by email at champs-elysees@guerlain.fr (delivery expenses of €25 to Europe at your charge).

You should know: it works much better by phone, they don't respond your mails. It takes like 2 weeks to arrive to Italy. Hope this info will help you to purchase your Coriolan much easier than I did.

franceg
franceg

I had this fragance, and i love it, but is out sale in south america. For me it´s a really clasic parfum. with lot of notes thst changing along the hours.
Spicy, floral, frutal, plus long durating scent.

youriko
youriko

I'm not 40 and far from it and I like it.

The opening is odd, a little lemony but mostly like weeds (which is not meant to be derogatory). I need to give myself time to get accustomed to it, and then a bit later the spices come out. Finally there is a dry, old leather, which I like (and has been lurking in the background for a long time). Weaving its way throughout the development is the floral note. And there is a bit of benzoin to soften it up just enough to make it wearable. However, most interesting is the gorse, which is sort of like a tobacco note, but with more texture and less flavor (if that makes no sense, you just need to study this one over time). It's strange, relative to almost all other men's fragrances, but I enjoy it as a change of pace. This is the kind of fragrance you need to study and pay attention to in order to enjoy, and it's not for the fans of generic stuff. I don't know why it's called a chypre, because I don't get the usual strong labdanum/oakmoss accord in the base here. If this is a little too rough for you, but you like the idea, try Lauder for Men.

Maddyrain
Maddyrain

I was really curious about this one and it had been part of my wishlist for quite some time. It opens with a really strong lemon note. I knew I'd seen it before somewhere... Then I remembered! Boucheron pour Homme! While Boucheron has more floral notes, Coriolan goes deep into its chypre aspects... Nice, but not necessary.

jazz444
jazz444

On paper, it has a deep black tea note, which is why I bought it. On my skin, it is like a neverending basket of herbs--good for some, but not so much for me. It actually reminds me a little of Clinique Aromatics Elixir.

What a wonderful surprise: I just discovered a new and splendid Chypre floral: CORIOLAN. Yes, the florals here are dark--neroli and ylang-ylang--but they are present, along with the undeniable chypre backbone of the some of the greatest officially feminine fragrances around: oakmoss, vetiver, patchouli. ovp, pov, pvo, mix them up as you like--they form a sacred trio/tryst!

I won't go so far as to say that CORIOLAN won't work for men, but this is absolutely a scent that will appeal to any woman who indulges in such luxuries as EAU DU SOIR, YVRESSE, FEMME, MITSOUKO, BALMAIN, etc... Thick, rich, foggy, deep, longlasting, all-enveloping (literally and figuratively!), I actually prefer CORIOLAN to some of the above as it is a bit less intense and the dry down is warm and inviting with abiding but mild vetiver/patchouli/oakmoss through to the end.

Abadesa
Abadesa

Por desgracia, no puedo añadir este perfume a su profile...
!Me gusta muchísimo! Y me da igual que es fragrance masculino :)

instantjim

I bought this fragrance sealed in its box. It is quite rare where I live and so having no other samples to compare it with, I can only review this based on what I can smell. The citrussy top notes people talk about are just not there, instead I smell pepper, patchouli and wood. If as I suspect it is because of age that this smells the way it does, then it is likely other people who buy this in future will have the same or at least a similar experience to me. Let's face it this fragrance is not going to be getting any better the longer time wears on. My understanding is that this was discontinued soon after its release (can't say exactly when) but that would make the extant stocks around the place quite old.

Wim Janssens
Wim Janssens

Coriolan has been very popular and due to regulation it has been withdrawn.
It's not gone already a decade but when you buy a bottle that is still for sale, buy one that is boxed at least... .
A review should be based on a fragrance in good condition.

instantjim

This fragrance promised so much, unfortunately it did not deliver. This fragrance was discontinued a long time ago and any bottles that are still around are over a decade old. After a spicy start, on me, (no citrussy top notes)it rapidly disappeared and after half an hour was barely detectable. I am certain that this is due to the age of the bottle. How disappointing.

K_Virtue
K_Virtue

wow isn't there one for "her" in this scent though? I could have sworn that there was a female version!!

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

I smelled this perfume first in Palm Beach Florida where I worked in 1998 in the first ever Guerlain exclusive Spa Boutique @ The Breakers. I find this smell to be incredibly wonderful fougere/ spicy/ full of herbs and the opening sensation is very citrussy plus dry-down very warm and woody. Not very modern and should suit a sophisticated male (or female: i think this is a scent many women like) from the mid 40ies and up! Think the typical Ferragamo customer then you get the picture. A very elegant and gentleman-like fragrance. Special!

Coriolan by Guerlain 4.37 out of 5 based on 172 ratings and 41 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Coriolan fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Coriolan, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Coriolan by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Coriolan by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.