Designers » F-H » Floral « Groups

Cruel Gardenia Guerlain for women

Cruel Gardenia Guerlain for women
dislike

yellow floral
Cruel Gardenia Guerlain for women Pictures Cruel Gardenia Guerlain for women Pictures

Cruel Gardenija is one of the fragrances of Guerlain's L'Art et La Matière collection, and as the people of the Guerlain house say, it is 'on the verge of cruelty' and 'stuns with its diabolical power'.

It was launched and presented in 2008 together with fragrance for men, L'Âme d'Un Héros. It was created by two noses, Randa Hammami and Sylvaine Delacourte. It is designed in a way that its notes 'sunny, silky, smooth and lingering...can become an obsession'.

Unlike the usual tradition, the creators of this fragrance did not strive towards the richness of notes that gardenia creates when combined with the precious light musk which would give velvety soft aura... In the contrary, Cruel Gardenia is like an arrow that aims directly at the heart and stays there forever.

The magic starts with the notes of mouthwatering peach, Damask rose and neroli. The heart of Cruel Gardenia bursts of floral notes, revealing the fusion of violet and wafts of ylang-ylang, touched by light musk. The base notes follow with the accords of Tonka beans, light musk, vanilla and sandal wood.

The fragrance comes in luxurious elegant 80ml (2.8 oz.fl) bottle. It is available at four La Maison Guerlain in the world – Bergdorf Goodman in New York-u, Neiman Marcus in San Francisco, The Breakers - Palm Beach, and French Pavilion at Epcot.

Neroli Rose Peach

Gardenia Ylang-Ylang Violet

Musk Sandalwood Tonka Bean Vanille

Cruel Gardenia Fragrance Reviews

henri345que
henri345que

The fragrance name simply doesn`t reflect it at all. Cruel gardenia is not a dark or difficult gardenia fragrance; instead, it`s a sunny powdery floral bouquet where the ligth aspect of gardenia flowers is hidden inside of it. You get at first the impression of citrus flowers, then a non indolic powdery white flower bouquet, and this sings on the skin for quite a long time. When i was not expecting gardenia anymore, i could detect it emerging from the powdery bouquet, a slightly sweet and fruity gardenia, similar to the one in Chinatown (altough Chinatown and Cruel Gardenia doesn`t have so much in common). The scent fades to a soft musky vanillic drydown and stays there the rest of the day. It doesn`t seem so linked with the idea of the line, but it`s a pretty lasting powdery scent with a touch of gardenia, and maybe this is the only cruelty of the fragrance, not using more gardenia.

Nomorestars
Nomorestars

Upon first spray, the air is filled with a cooling, powdery, clean white floral - almost sterile in feel. It is breathtakingly icy in the opening. However, I cannot seem to pinpoint the gardenia in this as the name would suggest.

As I put my nose closer to my wrist, I get a very buttery, oily ylang ylang which gets softer and sweeter in the dry down. When I press my nose right to my skin, there is the bizarre note of cherry liqueur and fresh cut green stems. I find this fresh-heavy interplay to be very pleasant.

Sillage and longevity are excellent.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

Definitely one of the most beautiful gardenia frags out there!!! No headache here!! A very well done gardenia that is softened by the violet and tonka bean. The dry down presents more vanilla. Really very lovely!!!

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

I just got a bottle from Nordys and it was unsealed :( Bummer, it's going back. I bought it because I had purchased another one from that big online selling site and one day it smelled great on me, and the next....well it smelled chemical. So therefore, I thought I got a bottle that was cut with something? Well, to my surprise, both bottles smell the same. I don't know why I am getting this chemical smell on me :( I adore, and probably my favorite for winter is Coquin Gourmand, Angelique Noir and Asian Brulant. They are to die for, so rich and creamy and long lasting on me. AN is almost heavenly. I have the Iris one and it smells awful on me also :( So, while I simply ADORE ADORE the other three, this Cruel Gardenia smells chemical on me for the first 30 minutes, then it mellows out, but I'm not in love with it at all. It's very light on me also, not heavy. Will edit on how long it lasts. Probably long because Guerlain is so well made. Sad, I want to love this, from that first day I wore it, it was gorgeous. Now, it hates me :(

Edit: It sometimes works on me and sometimes not. I just figure it's menopause. Just sprayed it on me now, and it is delightful. Oh dear, who knew menopause would play games on you like this. Where's that Eve?

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

Though i get very little GARDENIA, this is so beautiful! There is something "minty" in here but it's lovely!

galex
galex

Cruel gardenia is also available in Germany. I tested it today in Berlin (Douglas Kurfürstendamm). It's a lovely soft creamy scent. I love it!!!

jrova
jrova

LOVE at first smell! LOVE LOVE LOVEE THIS. Don't typically like gardenias...but when i smalled this I had to have this! Buying it for my mom on her birthday!

teddito
teddito

This is so beautiful!Generally I do not like gardenia, as well as other white florals, but here it is perfectly blended with the other notes and in the end we get a super classy, feminine, warm delight.
The base is just fantastic-musky creamy vanilla with a strong but fresh floral touch.Love it!!!

floof
floof

I have never liked gardenia on myself until I tried this one. Leave it to the Guerlain elixirs to capture your heart... I think its the peach, violet and ylang that make this so wearable on me, it smells fresh and clean and lightly floral. I would call it "classy". Don't understand the name, either, but who cares? It's the juice that really matters :)
(not that the beautiful package doesn't help).
I purchased from Neiman marcus and they let you customize your bottle to have 10 letters. It is the same price as the regular bottle, but takes longer to arrive. The site offers both options. The engraved bottle is a great thoughtful gift, but if you do engrave a personal message, it is not refundable- so make sure the person you are gifting it to likes it.
I bought a small decant to hold me over until my bottle arrives (I got it personalized so it can take weeks!) from the perfumedcourt which sells decants/samples.
I cannot wait to get my personalized bottle, I have been aching for this perfume for a long time. If you are thinking about getting a personalized bottle for someone special, you can buy a sample to make sure they like it :)
I LOVE IT!

Guerlain's CRUEL GARDENIA, contrary to its name, is a warm, compassionate floral composition prominently featuring ylang ylang, neroli, and violet--at least according to my nose! Bizarre.

Maybe this would be cruel to those who were looking for a pure gardenia frag, or a big white floral? Anyway, aside from my disagreement with the name, CRUEL GARDENIA strikes me as an excellent creation. A complex, somewhat yellow composition with a touch of sweetness in the opening. But from the opening through to the finish, this is much more of a ylang than a gardenia fragrance. Happily, the ylang is balanced and buttressed well.

CRUEL GARDENIA is the very antithesis of a "diabolical" perfume (of which I have encountered a few): neither overly sharp nor officiously invasive nor a scrubber nor a carcinogenic sci-fi nightmare. Good staying power and sillage, too.

Gardenia at highest power still not offensive, but very powerful, use sparingly! It's truly a beauty. In spite of its extremely floral nature I agree with Jeca that Cruel Gardenia is not so cruel after all! A little bit dramatic, but just as a joke, it can be languish.

sabsoob
sabsoob

too much gardenia in this bottle, perfectly done though!

jeca
jeca

I have no idea why the name of this fragrance includes 'cruel'? It is a calm and light fragrance, weightless, I smell branches, leaves, but I can't find flower, I just can imagine it :-(

Cruel Gardenia by Guerlain 4.19 out of 5 based on 134 ratings and 13 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Cruel Gardenia fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Cruel Gardenia, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Cruel Gardenia by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Cruel Gardenia by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.