Designers » F-H » Leather « Groups

Derby Guerlain for men
dislike

leather
smoky

Derby by Guerlain is a Leather fragrance for men. This is a new fragrance. Derby was launched in 2012. Top notes are bergamot and orange; middle notes are spices, carnation and exotic woods; base notes are leather, birch, patchouli and woody notes.

Bergamot Orange

Spices Carnation Exotic Woods

Leather Birch Patchouli Woody Notes

Derby
Jules

Derby Fragrance Reviews

alpa
alpa

مثل اینکه در ایران قابل تهیه نیست اکر کسی اطلاعی داره لطفا برام پیام بذاره با تشکر

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

A muted recalibration of the original Derby's nutmeg explosion. This smells like a massive carnation oriental in the same vein as Old Spice. There is some nutmeg, but the brazen sharpness of the older stuff is pretty far gone, leaving only a trace, its whisper mated to the sueded peppery aspect of carnation flower. As it evolves, the nutmeg peeks through the other notes, sometimes seeming stronger than it did earlier on, and other times seeming pretty meek. There's also a massive patchouli note, unpleasantly designer grade at this price-point (its twin can be found in Jovan Sex Appeal). The odd thing is, despite the obvious change in the formula from a "leathery" chypre to a floriental, I like this version a whole lot better than its predecessor. Yet naturally price dictates that I will turn to Old Spice for a straightforward and well-rendered carnation oriental, and Sex Appeal for a great big spiced patchouli accord. No need to pay Guerlain's asking price for either of those experiences.

I didn't pay much attention to the top notes so keep that in mind. Sort of like a smoother Fendi Uomo. There is also a resemblance to Lauder for Men, though again this is smoother/softer and perhaps a bit more natural smelling. However, it also seems a little weaker. I don't get strong leather, but the vetiver is clear (which must be included under the heading of "woody notes"), and it's clearly spicy. The patchouli isn't strong either, and it's not especially animalic. It's not sweet but not bone dry either. This is a nicely done "old school" type of scent but the retail price is questionable, IMO. A few hours in and it's somewhat similar to vintage (late 90s) Mitsouko EdP. To be sure, you can easily tell the difference, but in some ways this far drydown is like a "masculine" Mitsouko !

UPDATE: Far into the drydown I get some birch tar/leather and more of an animalic quality. I really like this, but again, why does it cost so much?

williamvargas
williamvargas

I have to say after finally getting a decent sized sample to try, I do have some of the original, had taken about 3 minis to build a small atomizer. I love the original derby. but I have to say I love this one too. maybe as much. it is still a wonderful delightful scent. I would wear this with pride. two very nice comments right out of the gate. love to get a compliment on a fragrance. I will have to take a little time and actually compare them side by side. my observation is this is fantastic. an automatic love for me and in no way to me is a step down from vintage derby. kudos to the original, but this is nice. wonderfully aromatic and pleasing to me. guerlain is such a fabulous house and one of my favorite houses, I have loved many of their offerings. bottom line, this is a masterfully blended scent, as the finest of scotch whiskey's .a fragrance that takes you on a journey as the scent truly becomes part of you. it smells even better to me two hours into it. sorry guerlain, I never should have doubted, I presumed too much, this is different to me but in a good way...I will always love the original as well. spicy, masculine still maintaining an old school vibe. leather and smoky I guess, it is quality and projection was excellent for me.. so far longevity is not an issue at all.
alfarom's review of this is spot on for me, among some others of course.
the ones that did not care for it surprised me but ok but maybe expectations were different.. one thing I have learned it is really a personal viewpoint and I try to keep an open mind..just glad I sampled it.
only makes me wish I had more of it. prices are very high for this but maybe not out of line for its quality?.. open to discussion I suppose.
you truly need to try some and judge for yourself, maybe think of it as a new fragrance? or the fragrance it is now.. what bugs me is all of the journeys and monies I have spent trying different fragrances when perhaps I would have ahead of the game if I had just purchased this?.but you get caught in this vicious circle of exploring scents..it is an addicting hobby for me.
thumbs up,, way up for me.

livio.marucci
livio.marucci

Not only Parisians love Derby!!!

The World wants it!!

Please. Guerlain! Bless us with this miraculous masculine!

pronose

sorry then why they need to rename this derby???? i want the original derby not the fake!!!!!! the whole thing sucks and guerlain since lvmh took over has changed!!!!!!

almondbreakfast
almondbreakfast

This and the original smell different.

And perhaps I am one of the few that prefers this to the original one.

To compare both is like comparing an original 1920 movie with The Great Gatsby in 2013.

And I like the 2013 version better, not because I don't know how to appreciate vintage. But some modern creations are just better than vintages. And some find it hard to accept the truth.

I say, Well-done! Guerlain!

.Mr Almond.

RogerJr17
RogerJr17

Guerlain's Derby is one of those fragrances that take me back. When I was a kid, I remember vividly getting into my grandmother's purse. Before I could get to the goodies inside, I caught a smell of flowers and powder.

Back to present day, Derby is a work of art. Many people knock it because it is too powdery, smells like an old man, it's dated, blah blah blah. Ignore that crap.

Derby is a timeless classic and will go down in history as being one of the best leather fragrances to be released. Bold? Wear Derby and you tell me.

This scent is all about the leather folks. Guerlain made this leather more appealing though by pairing it with various elements such as the floral aspect (geranium), the spices, and the citrus. The execution is a work of art. The only thing I don't get is what is causing this powdery vibe I get from it. It isn't a bad thing. I like it when the leather is powdery because it takes you back.

I assume the birch to be the culprit because of the smoke-like quality of this note. For those who are familiar with Aventus by Creed, the birch in that particular fragrance creates a smokey vibe. Combined with the geranium, I can see how the birch could create that illusion.

The performance of Derby is what caught my eye. Most leather scents on me last a long time. This exceeded my expectations. This thing kept going and going on me. I had to shower to get it off. It had crossed the 12+ hour threshold so I couldn't get an accurate read on the exact duration. If any fragrance goes past 12 hours and smells like this, I strongly urge you to pick it up. It is very potent as well. I applied 3 sprays and could be smelled the entire time I was at work and when I came home it was very noticeable as well even after sweating and enduring the elements.

This fragrance is ideal for that guy that is mature and confident. It really shines in cooler weather. I would advise you guys who do want to try it to avoid using it during the warmer months. It could become very cloying and unenjoyable.

Derby isn't cheap either. It's over 200 dollars for 100ml. So be ready to drop some cash if you want to get this. I also advise testing it. This is not one you want to blind buy I assure you.

Overall rating: 9/10

pronose

the new derby had nothing to do with the original!!!!! we pay more to get fooled by guerlain!!!!! shame on you and we are not that stupid to get fool by you anymore!
what happened to the original formula????? lost perhaps???? shame on the new guerlain policy!

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

This opens with a green herbal scent which reminded me of a mixture of Aramis and Devin. This then moves into the heart of a warm spicy leather accord so you have a warm herbal spicy leather scent.

Now this is where things get very interesting as underpinning these main accords is a host of supporting notes making this scent very complex. I can pick up patchouli, a bit of citrus and some floral notes and these are constantly shifting and changing on your skin. So every time you take a sniff you can pick up different notes behind the main herbal warm spicy leather accord.

This scent does have a slight Eighties feel and does not smell contemporary, but it is so well orchestrated and is very complex. When I scrutinised this scent I have to say it does live up to the hype and is worthy of all the praise.

To sum up a green herbal spicy warm leather accord made complex by a host of supporting notes making it a masterpiece of it's genre and time!

kazewayz
kazewayz

A very strong scent. I get lots of spice from this, maybe some leather in there. Has some liquor in there as well. Well blended, good quality. Didn't tell me much though, as it didn't please my nose. Try it.

tymanski
tymanski

i love this everybit as much as the vintage - i wear them both and am - as alfarom - mesmerized by their flawlessness. the new one has a great freshness on this perfect, smoky leather chypre; instead of heavy oak moss, this is 'tree moss' in the new one and it makes it more versatile. the vintage is deeper, smoother and cozier. they're both holy grail scents. for real

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

I have not smell the vintage derby..but i have tried hermes equipage and ELDO Jesuis un homme, today just receive the perfumed from a friend who is back from their boutiques in france...I feel there is a smidgens of similarity but not that much( tested in a cold climate )...it is as strong as habit rouge..with vibes of barbershop smells. whilst Habit rouge is sweet but Derby is not, imagine wearing habit rouge withput the smell of sweet dust, rather drop the sweet, reatin the magical dust...i understand why it is sold in the exclusives shop only due to demand is poor thus good business sense is to sell it in certain places where demand is there..i was talking to one guerlain counter in one of the mall, they may close down the counter due to lacking in sales..due to current economic climate which is forcing people to take certain cost saving measures to survive...secondly the trend of people migrating from appreciating the value of smells to following the cult of celebrities using it increases the extinction or limited availability of it.....what ever the reason is , it is worth every penny owning it..akin to have a very precious and difficult to find red diamond....

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

I don't understand how a fragrance like this became a flop and ended up discontinued. Some say it was due to marketing issues other because it didn't belong to the 80's but to me there is no plausible explanation.

Derby is a modern leather chypre. It is perfect, from the green herbal opening, to the spicy floral heart and the mossy and resinous base. Perfectly balanced and very well kept if you consider all IFRA restrictions. Unfortunately I never tried the original and cant say if things chagend a lot but I can say that it is still a masterpiece, relevant in the industry and smell like a chypre.

At the same time that it holds Guerlains heritage using some classical accords of the brand it represents a departure from the ubiquitous vanilla that some times seem like a cage to their creativity like if everything had to be a new Shalimar or at least be related to it in some way.

Guerlain didn't want to make the same marketing mistakes and relaunched it as a paris exclusive maintaining its status as a cult hard to find fragrance. So if you want Derby you have to go to Paris and thats the kind of exclusivity that makes people curious and wanting for more.

pronose

$245 and even the scent it's diffrent than the original??? Guerlain house plays with our pockets and play tricks to us since lvmh took over the house of guerlain! shame on guerlain ceo!!!!!! the orginal derby was a true rare gem but not this pale expensive copy!

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

One of Luca Turin’s five star masterpiece scents for men. It’s expensive: the Neiman-Marcus price is $245.

I tried it out on myself. It is… wonderful. It went on kind of dirty - is that tobacco or ashtrays I smell? - and when dried smells old school masculine in the very best way. I detect tobacco, cognac or brandy, wood, some leather, maybe a little musk or resin... very nice.

I can see why this one has a reputation.

Only a few masculine fragrances have been so praised to reach the hype status of Derby, but even a fewer really deserved their place in the Fragrance Olympus. Derby is surely among these. A leather chypre that strikes as extremely sophisticated, sort of restrained but never too mannered or polished. Multi faceted, rich but not overpowering and incredibly harmonious in its complexity.

No need to go through notes explanation as Derby is one of those masterpieces that any perfumista should experience without esitation. Mandatory.

Among the top masculines of all times together with Knize Ten, Kouros, Yatagan and vintage Fahrenheit and surely among my favorite deliveries from Guerlain.

Barbare Et Tres Civilise.

Mesmerizing!

Scentrist
Scentrist

For clarification, this is a relaunch and reformulation from the original. The original will have been a different scent. This is a fresh Guerlainade, spicy and orange/lemon in the opening, filled with woods and leather. It's certainly a refined gentleman's scent on the order of Arsene Lupin. And it'll be exclusive to Guerlain boutiques -- meaning Bergdorf's, Bellagio, Epcot, and certain other places that carry their high-end lines.

Despite the reformulation, with an open-mind you might not find yourself disappointed. I loved it.

darkroomvisitor
darkroomvisitor

Bit puzzled here. This should mean that Guerlain has 2 fragrances called Derby. I have the 1st one. Looking at the notes they're quite different. Hope I can get a sniff soon to satisfy my curiosity. Better not be a reformulation, don't like that.

I tried this one last year during a vacation at Disneys World, FL. All I remember was how mature this was. Very leathery alcoholic cognac or whiskey like. A bit on the border line of being refined and coarse feeling. It is very very grown-up scent for a manly man. No boys allowed!

pablOSO
pablOSO

They are relaunching it worldwide? or is it a limited edition? will it be available to all , or just to those who can pay their exorbitant prices?

Derby by Guerlain 4.15 out of 5 based on 114 ratings and 21 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Derby fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Derby, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Derby by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Derby by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.