Designers » F-H » Woody Chypre « Groups

Djedi Guerlain for women

Djedi Guerlain for women
dislike

leather

Djedi is an oriental chypre perfume, created in 1927 by Jacques Guerlain, who inspired by the Egyptian mythology. Notes: rose, civet, patchouli, oak moss, vetiver, musk and leather.

Vetiver Musk Patchouli oak moss Civetta Rose Leather

onda
Vetiver

Djedi Fragrance Reviews

marwa.qoura

Mr Guerlain could have created his art as much as he wanted and calling it "Death " or something of the sort , but that wasn't nice associating it with the history of my country and its civilisation ..for the sake of "art" and making money as well ...Life is what creates art , not death ...

halalula1234
halalula1234

Honestly. This wasn't as doom and gloom as I expected it to be based on the reviews. It actually smells quite pleasant! It is not a happy scent...It's quite cold but also it wasn't the ultimate non sweet scent that people claimed it was. I quite like it and would definitely purchase it if it was a currently available fragrance. Coldish, dark, yet not too opaque nor transparent, a great balance of animalics, moss and woods...not just ordinary wood and moss but one from a dark mysterious, abandoned forest un-touched by man for centuries. Or to think of it as tomb air from the depths of a pyramid, that will do as well.

In response to member Marwa.qoura's comment on Djedi:

Jacques Guerlain was one of the greatest perfumers of all time.
His creations were often, monumental works of art and Djedi was not an exception. Probably his most excentric creation and definitely one of the strangest and most haunting ever conceived.
You cannot ignore Guerlain's artistry and genius wether you believe his perfume reflects Egypt appropiately or not. In fact -his perfume wasnt meant to evoke anything but obscurity and mystery, death and well, resurrection; this was the real inspiration. Djedi was never a great success perhaps because its nature was too obscure and disturbing to be explored.

Sometimes art is not to be understood but to be simply admired.

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

My 3ml decant just came in, and I couldn't have been more excited to gingerly tear the package open! I was terrified, because today is the hottest day I've experienced in my city so far this year, and the thought of having such a precious vial of fluid traveling all this way in this heat..

But rest assured, the fragrance is undamaged [as less as possible for such an old fragrance].

It's… interesting. It's not what I was expecting at all from the reviews, but then again, we're bound to experience different results depending on how our individual vials and flacons have been handled. We'll never experience Djedi as it was meant to be experience, since Guerlain only cares about smelling like candy and suntan lotion anymore.

For me, this is truly nothing but unadulterated oak moss. There's a decent dose of vetiver and musk there as well, and an odd sweetness that I can't quite wrap my head around. I think it has something to do with the rose note, but it keeps making me think of some sort of syrup..like maple or cane syrup.

It's most definitely dark, but not at all musty to me. It's a very beautiful, deep chypre that has quite a sensual edge to it. I'm slightly disappointed that it doesn't evoke any sort of Egyptian reference, but I'm still very pleased to have such an interesting, rare fragrance in my collection. The 3ml decant is small, but I intend on maintaining it and treasuring it for as long as possible!

Judging by the longevity I'm getting, I'll be okay. It lasts about 1.5 to 3 hours on me. Understandable. Sillage is noticeable, but it's mostly that odd syrupy sweetness that manages to carry.

This was most definitely the precursor to Mitsouko. Mitsouko is basically a more full-bodied version of Djedi, to my nose.

winkie11
winkie11

I have been trying to find Djedi for a very long time, and am sitting here with a huge smile on my face....self satisfied and happy that I am wearing a clone in the beautiful Onda from Vero Profumo so very well described above ...it could be Djedi!!

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

Doc Elly's review for Djedi is perfect. I have about half left of a 5 ml decant I nabbed on ebay a couple of years ago. Still wondering how THAT happened. Because it's so rare, I don't wear it that often, but I also don't want to let it sit until it eventually evaporates, so I wear it on occasion, like today. It opens with a kind of cold, strange medicinal note which is eventually softened by a note of dried roses. Shortly after the big vetiver note takes over and I start to see some similarities between Djedi and Guerlain's vintage Vetiver, but also Vero Profomo's Onda. But where Onda has a sunny/meaty vetiver, Djedi's vetiver is slightly powdery and dry. Both Djedi and Onda are scents that are difficult to articulate. I don't get leather at all or anything animalic, and like Doc said, Djedi is one of those scents that's more about describing an "experience". Personally, I experience a sense of melancholy as if I'm longing for something, like a time or a person from the past that I can't quite put my finger on, but the feeling is deep in my gut and whatever it is stays just outside of my peripheral vision. A weird, recurring experience that happens everytime I wear Djedi and I love it even though it's unsettling.

greydove
greydove

Most people think the Jedi order of Star Wars was a fictional order created by George Lucas from his fertile imagination. Actually, Lucas based it on the Djedi, an ancient order of Egyptian priest/warriors who wore hooded robes, carried a staff of power and guarded the pharaoh. The secret techniques and knowledge of the "Force" taught to these Egyptian Djedi were passed down from Atlantis by Thoth (aka Hermes and Mercury)- one of the priest-kings of Atlantis who sailed to colonies in Egypt, Peru and and elsewhere before the sinking of Atlantis in order to preserve the accumulated knowledge and wisdom of that great society. But in order to ensure that it would not be misused again, it was kept secret and only revealed to select initiates.

The name Djed contains the root word "Dj" meaning Serpent. this root word can be found in Dj-huti (Thoth/Hermes), Dj-inn (better known in the west as a Genie) and Djedi (An Egyptian Magician).

Thoth taught divine alchemy, which wasn't a technique to change lead into gold, but a means of turning the dense human consciousness into the golden consciousness of an enlightened master. The symbol of alchemy is the caduceus, which Mercury is shown holding in statues and paintings. It consists of a staff with two intertwining serpents, crowned with wings. The staff is the spinal column, the two serpents are the balanced masculine and feminine energies of the kundalini, and the wings symbolize the higher consciousness that frees the mind once the kundalini is raised from the base of the spine chakra to the crown chakra. Through this alchemy, a Djedi could awaken the sleeping kundalini power (Force) and raise it to the head where it would manifest as supernatural powers and intuitive gnostic wisdom. Since the Dj in Djedi means "serpent, a Djedi master was one who had mastered the serpent power.

Petal85
Petal85

This might be the most unusual and interesting perfume I have ever smelled. It does have an intense animalic smell, also dry and dusty, but there is also a faint floral note. It's not pretty but it is majestic and a little brutal. The most amazingly long lasting fragrance I have ever tried. I can't stop sniffing it when I have it on. When I am not wearing it, I can't stop thinking about it. It smells like an ancient secret. It would probably smell great on a man as well. A masterpiece. What a shame it is discontinued. I will hoard my sample like the precious treasure it is.

marwa.qoura

I am from Egypt & it's my first time to hear about this perfume ...Well , I don't really understand why Guerlain used civet so intensly in such perfume ...First , it's not ethical & harsh ..Second Ancient Egyptians never used civet in their perfumes !! ..It's not a known animal in Egypt , it's exclusive to East Asia !...and they didn't like stinky or dusty smells , they usually used florals like lotus or roses , specially Taif rose which is very well known here as "Ward Baladi"...I understand why this perfume was a flop .. Judging from the notes & reviews ,it's dust & old tombs stink , not a perfume ...Please don't associate that with Egypt as it smells nothing like the real country I live in... A green sort of scent would have been more appropriate ...

kamilleisamansname
kamilleisamansname

I've sampled lots animalic perfumes including MKK, Yatagan, CB Musk reinvention, Musc Tonkin, and the infamous Untitled No. 8, and Djedi is the only one I'd describe as smelling somewhat fecal, just for the duration of the opening, though.

Djedi's opening is unlike any other perfume I've smelled, probably because of the presence of real civet and musk in its composition. It's dry, animalic, woody, musty, sweaty, raw, and almost mouldy smelling. It's a scent somewhere between "fecal" and "fungal".

After the unpleasant opening it dries down into a sweet and spicy, woodsy fragrance with a "dirty" animalic base. There's a persistent butter/caramel note in here too that reminds me a bit of maple syrup.

To be honest, it smells like a pecan pie or pumpkin spice Yankee Candle to me, just woodier and dirtier.

Matt Oldham

there is an unopened bottle of the 1996 version on ebay. 4 days to go. Up to $207 last time I looked. It's freaking me out.

Matt Oldham

Oh, man. I am fixated on this now that I realize it exists. I would love to watch Dr. Phibes Rises Again while wearing. The mixture of camp and ancient Egypt is an intoxicating theme. Ground mummy dust was apparently used in medicines for a long time...no doubt it was faked mostly but whatever authentic "salvatory of green mummy" mentioned in the Duchess of Malfi--I like to think it smelled how this is described. There was also brown mummy, a color of paint that apparently really did contain mummy and the possibly authentic mummy paper made from the wrapping. Looking at photos of the excavation of Tut's tomb, it's easy to form an idea of the odor, exciting but maybe not entirely pleasant. Still a lot of rhythm in those rockin' bones.

I'm sorry I cannot even test these old Guerlain where I live. I would like to sniff it maybe once for sniffing sake. Everything ancient Egyptian is very appealing for me.
I like animalic notes in tiny amounts, not the style of heavy animalic from '20s.
Nowadays they would smell too strong.
Together with floral essential oils also animalic notes have became too expensive and not possible to use in perfumes on large scale.
In these days only synthetical fixative are used.
This is good for animals that often went through painful torture to make a perfume. This is very cruel.
Less good for quality and projection of perfumes and probably for our health, too, because synthetical stuff is no better for our nervous system.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This perfume was created in the 1920s and reissued for a brief time in 1996. What I have is a tiny sample of the original 1926 version. The opening is strongly animalic and musty with just enough residue of spicy and floral top notes to keep it from being fecal-smelling. There’s real civet in enormous quantity, there’s earthy, dusty vetiver, and there’s just the slightest hint of cinnamon and spices.

If I’m not mistaken, the note that so many people smell and comment on as odd, unfamiliar, mineral, death-like, dry, sinister and the like is an unusually fine calamus, which would be perfectly in keeping with the Egyptian theme. Combine it with real, high-quality orris root, and you have the genie in the tomb.

I would not want to debunk anyone else’s magical and spiritual experience by overthinking, but I suspect that the strange and other-worldly opening of vintage Djedi is due to the fact that it’s so old that it’s lost most of its top notes and what we smell initially is a premature and unintended peek at the base. Whether intended or not, it certainly works its magic.

About an hour into the drydown, the sweeter, slightly powdery, slightly spicy, floral chypre notes start to appear. There are dried roses, iris, a touch of real sandalwood (foreshadowing Samsara), a touch of patchouli, a touch of real oakmoss, and, of course, the powerful vetiver-calamus-civet base underlying it all. I can see how people perceive Djedi as containing leather, since there’s the right combination of powdery and animalic notes to produce the illusion of leather if you’re looking for it.

A reviewer on Basenotes observed that most people describe Djedi in terms of an experience, not a fragrance, and I would concur that it is highly evocative of the unknown. Although a very different scent, my experience of Djedi was in some ways similar to that evoked by Judith Muller’s Bat-Sheba, another vintage perfume that seemed to have lost its top notes and produced the impression of a tomb-like environment or archaeological dig.

If you ever get a chance to try Djedi, do so!

krmarich
krmarich

Its 1926. Howard Carter had discovered King Tuts tomb a few years earlier, creating a fascination with Egypt. Jacques Guerlain launched now legendary Djedi. I was lucky enough to find a decant of it. It is perfume extract to be certain, as one drop last for 18 hours!

How can I describe it? Musty and dusty. Mummy dust and embalming herbs. Rarely does a compostition open with vetiver and oakmoss. Did I mention civet? It is one of the top notes! There is almost a caramel heart that I cannot describe. The rose is hidden so deeply that I dont pick it up at all. Its quite linear and somber...

It is reminds me of Shalimar. With all of the similarites the biggest difference is its dry smokiness that is distinctly masculine.

Its history is strange as the perfume. It was never really popular to the large market. Its disappeared for a time and was relaunched in 1996 in a limited edition. Now with the oakmoss and civet controversy, I doubt Djedi will ever resurface. I have a decant that reaches across time-Thanks, Natalie!

Djedi by Guerlain 4.54 out of 5 based on 45 ratings and 15 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Djedi fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Djedi, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Djedi by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Djedi by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.