Designers » F-H » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

Eau de Guerlain Guerlain for women and men

Eau de Guerlain Guerlain for women and men
dislike

Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain is a Citrus Aromatic fragrance for women and men. Eau de Guerlain was launched in 1974. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Paul Guerlain. Top notes are fruity notes, basil, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are caraway, carnation, sandalwood, patchouli, lavender, jasmine, mint, bergamot and rose; base notes are amber, musk, oakmoss and neroli.

Fruity Notes Basil Bergamot Lemon

L'Eau de L'Artisan

Eau de Guerlain Fragrance Reviews

La DameDeNoir
La DameDeNoir

Such a beautiful, underestimated scent!

Eau de Guerlain is, perhaps, the most perfect example of those fresh, green, dry, crunchy, chypre-like scents which were so fashionable in the 70's : Eau de Rochas, Eau de Lancôme, Eau de Lancaster...It is, paradoxically the lest known and it is the best. It is the same with the range of the Eau Fraîches of Guerlain: In the middle of the Eau de Cologne Imperiale, La Cologne du Parfumeur and the others, it is usually overlooked, and yet it is worth ten times what the others do. It is the perfect expression of what an Eau Fraîche should be: pungently fresh, strong, with accents of lavender, verbena and citruses, yet soft and elegant, with good lasting power and sillage.I never have been in the French Provence, but I am sure it smells like Eau de Guerlain!

fragrance2016
fragrance2016

This is one of my favorite fragrance, but it was a journey for Eau De Guerlain to become that. It started when I received a pamphlet at a Guerlain counter in '99 and was drawn to the bee bottle, which were delegated to the Euax Fraiches(Imperial, Coq, Fleur De Cedrat, Guerlain, later Parfumeur). So one day at Dillard's (Dept Store where I use to live), I was able to experience Imperial and the others. In the pamphlet, it mentioned that Eau de Guerlain had mint and tarragon (unique I thought) --so I couldn't wait to smell it. All the other Eaux's had the same similar smell, but there was something richer about Eau De Guerlian.

Even though I wanted oriental fragrances to be my signature, it is this fresh fragrances that truly matches my rising outward personality. It is so well made, deep but still fresh, soft. Complex, I always thought it was the mint that gave it the smokiness on the die down, which sort of reminded me of YSL Opium. I learned that the smokiness was due to …Oakmoss! I'm realizing that I gravitate toward this ingredient( after being frighten of it in Jicky and Mitsouko—body chemistry issues) .

No! this does not have a conventional longevity, but it worth the price. (It is sold only as a 3.4 Fl oz Eau De Toilette) It has lasted me 4 years and yes ..it needs to be reapplied once more through the day for effectiveness. (Tip: To make it last longer , bath in Dr. Teal Rosemary and Mint/ or Lavender, or Oil of Olay Lime body wash. Lotion with Johnson And Johnson Lavender Body Oil,-all ingredients in the Eaux's -- Spritz the fragrance, then sprinkle a layer of baby powder on top for a 7 hour longevity, –all the eaux's give off a powdery feel and powder takes longer to evaporate) To add I always thought Herba Fresca was a 2nd or 3rd cousin to this. The same tip work for that fragrance too.

In conclusion, wearing The Euax Fraiches from Guerlain just bespeaks quality especially Eau De Guerlain. Quality is at once announce and subdue.

no-fi
no-fi

An invigorating citrus masterpiece. I was on the hunt for a classic citrus aromatic for the New Zealand spring, and my journey ended at Eau de Guerlain. It is fresh, uplifting and downright joyous.

Eau de Guerlain opens with a bright accord of intense lemon and bergamot, along with a generous twist of garden-fresh mint. It immediately opens up all the senses - the colours become brighter, my breathing easier. It is invigorating, but at the same time relaxing.

After the initial citrus-mint blast, Eau de Guerlain takes on more depth. There's a herbal spiciness, thanks to basil, carnation, lavender and, most prominently, caraway. It's rounded out by oak moss and musk. The overall effect is of a richer, fuller, rounder eau de cologne. If you mixed 4711 and Eau Sauvage in a bottle, the result wouldn't be too far off from this.

Longevity and projection are very good for this type of scent, possibly due to the EDT concentration. Regardless, this is a joy to reapply. I can't wait to wear it this spring. What an ecstatic scent.

juzme
juzme

Vintage version = very short lived lemony water.
Buying this made me feel like I was taken for a fool.
This linear ,cheap composition was the worst buy ever .
Feel like throwing money away ? Go for it.
Seeing the highly unrealistic prices asked for this "creation" made me break the silence about this "piece of art " .

lilymorena
lilymorena

In the mood for citrus :) This is really the fast and the furious... well the fast then. I love it but it is gone in a few minutes. What a shame for such a wonderful fragance. Ok let's go further in the search for the perfect lemon citrus scent.
2e test from a FB
I think the first test from a sample came from a bad bottle. I am testing it again from a swap bottle and this is even so pretty as the first test. The best surprise is the moderate sillage and good longevity. Love it. Delicious semi sweet citrus with spices, totally unisex.

RoyalPerez516
RoyalPerez516

This is so airy and light! It is the smell of a midsummer's eve. The sunlight just fading, the beautiful chinese fan waving this soft and lofty scent around as she flickers the fan back and forth. Gossip and chatter over the incoming rumors of war. She sits with a friend in a bench surrounded by a beautiful garden, chattering away over a deliciously refreshing, condensed, thirst inducing lemonade. Golden French era, pre WW2, circa 1936 fragrance.

This is sophistication in a bottle, you will not offend anyone no matter how much you spray. It is simply divine.

8.5/10

Ambergris Intoxication
Ambergris Intoxication

I love fragrantica because it's great to finaly identify the notes in favorite perfume but it also takes away some of the magic. I was not shocked at any of the notes here as they all made sence to what I was smelling but now I can't disassociate them from the fragrance. For inctance, there was always something dark and mysterious yet so familiar just behind the lemon. Not the mint but something I could taste. I realize now it was the caraway seeds. So I say "Oh yeah now I see!" and *POOF* magic all gone! I'll never again get that "what the hell is that exotic smell?" feeling now that I know it's just a common spice. I still like it and can now identify it in other scents. Next time l just won't look... yes I will. :-b

Little Prince
Little Prince

Jean-Paul Guerlain’s take on the cologne is probably the ideal example of a successful citrus fragrance. Usually colognes are just refreshing tools that lack in complexity and tend to appeal to people that don’t like perfumes. Eau de Guerlain in comparison is a composition with a bold character and depth while at the same moment staying close to the idea of use of cologne. It is a fresh, green, full-bodied citrus, with some spices and flowers, a majestic mint opening and a soft velvety drydown. It is deceptively simple, as a cologne should be, but on skin reveals great complexity and unusual long-lastingness. Eau de Guerlain is a marvel to wear and paradoxically never gets boring. As an exemplary citrus fragrance it is the best of the Guearlain’s eaus and probably the best cologne on earth.
What I happen to love in such classic compositions (Eau de Guerlain, Derby, Sycomore) is that they are not made to create fleeting impressions or just have an insipid, namby-pamby presence. These fragrances have soul, character, intellect, beauty and never yell for attention. As great works of art they exercise neither mind nor body but the psyche and the emotions keeping them healthy and in balance. They have an appeal untouched by the passing of time and are more necessities rather than luxuries. They all carry the divine, grand touch and are timeless classics.

lotus and jasmine
lotus and jasmine

THIS IS WONDERFUL!

I was expecting something soapy, like most aromatics.

Nope. Fresh herbs. Like I've been playing in my herb garden.

At first application, I smelled lemon verbena. In the heart, I smelled a beautiful, photorealistic anise. In the dry down I have caraway and mint.

Yeah, I know that's not what the notes say are in this one, but that's what I got. And I LOVED it!

Fresh, cool, lung expanding, stress relieving, and beautiful.

love, love, love.

nero77
nero77

Invigorating! Fresh and Aromatic!

Jean-Paul Guerlain's Eau de Guerlain is yet another take on the fresh, citrus Eau de Cologne style of fragrances. These were typically used for a refreshing experience at the start to someone's day. The idea is you put on an Eau de Cologne after a shower or morning ritual, and you could go on with your day ahead.

Although Eau de Colognes came in many interpretations, they often followed a similar formula. Bright, zesty citrus at the top, light, sometimes sweet florals in the mid, and very little base (maybe some light musk). The examples are endless... 4711 and the like, and even Guerlain's own Eau de Cologne Impériale and Eau des Fluers de Cédrat.

With Eau de Guerlain, I feel like it stands out from the others. By including a few unique notes. Aromatic notes such as caraway and zesty spearmint. When I spray this, it reminds me of freshly cut herbs in the kitchen, coupled with fresh, ripe lemon. It has a bitterness and a freshness that is undeniable, and very unique. It's like a cool gin-and-tonic drink which has carbonated water and slices of fresh lemon & lime. It really lifts me up and refreshes me. Almost like hiking in the mountains where you find mountain streams where the water is pure and full of minerals. I would describe it as very "mineral" like. I really love it!

I think that out of all the Guerlain "Eaux", such as Impériale, Cédrat etc. This one is the most unique, has the strongest lasting power (it's in Eau de Toilette, whereas the others were Eau de Cologne), and ultimately... is the one worth your money. If you have to buy one, buy this one. Definitely worth trying out, especially in spring!

6opar
6opar

This is quality. A great citrus with a twist. A truly realistic lemongrass face with a beautiful floral body. And while the citrus is what makes the first impression, and it is a good one, it is in fact the rest that makes this creation stunning.
****(*)

Macassar
Macassar

an elegant summer in a bottle ... sometimes i smell some notes of cut hay , at the end of summer, wearing it
a pity the longevity is rather short ...

Englishrose77
Englishrose77

One of the best gorgeous lemon verbena fragrances; I LOVE it. I first purchased it blind on the basis of Luca Turin's overwhelming positive endorsement. When it arrived, I sprayed some, waited, and was underwhelmed. It was a nice, but I couldn't help but think Luca missed the mark. After all, nobody's perfect. I should have known better. The next day, I sprayed it liberally all over after a shower, dressed and went out. The bright sparkling verbena fragrance warmed and enveloped me in a virtual sun shower of fragrance. I kept sniffing my shirt to drink it in, and my dour mood lifted and disappeared. I got compliments all day long. I must have every lemon verbena fragrance ever made, and I still think Eau d' Hadrien and Verbenas of Provence are my favorites. But this is equally beautiful. Highest recommendation!!

Sylvie-Aus
Sylvie-Aus

Now That What I call a Masterpiece ! I wouldn't call it " a classic " per " scent " . It's a citric aromatic aura . Such classy and complex fragrance which glows with simplicity . It has caracter and can be used in all seasons. It also develops on each person differently , adapting with style to one personality / gender / skin chemistry .

livio.marucci
livio.marucci

20th Century Guerlain's Eau Fraiche

Unwise noses tend to think that every eau fraiche is a copy of 4711 but citrus have a HUGE variety of tones... Guerlain Homme is also citrus but it has a different tone, crisper and sweeter, mixed with rum... another masterpiece. Usually citrus tones bring a higienic feeling so some cheap fragrances always comes with a dark plane tone of citrus evocating a cliché masculine personality. Those horrible citrus can't resist through time.... In about 30 minutes it starts a TERRIBLE residual smell that finishes the evolution of the perfume...

With that said, Guerlain knows and cares about the evolution of each fragrance giving them a single "soul"... Like I said before, each Guerlain fragrance is a single poetry... It tells a story... Habit Rouge is a classic noble knight... Guerlain Homme is a modern elegant man... Shalimar is a sweet dreaming girl from La Belle Époque... La Petite Robe Noire is a elegant modern woman... L'Homme Ideal is a talent dreaming boy... I intentionally used tthe terms modern and classic as I believe perfumes are a form of art the same way I think every period of time is marked by some specific tones... Modern feminine tend to be sweeter and gourmand... modern masculine tend to be fresh, lighter and also sweet.

That's why I think Eau de Guerlain so special! It is a transitional fragrance between a classic perfumary (fougère) and a modern one (gourmand). There is a very important tone missing in Eau de Guerlain's Fragrantica entry: Fennel. Fennel is translated in Brazlian Portuguese as "Sweet Herb"... It is a very intermadiate tone between a herb (lemon balm) with a bittersweet tone of anise... EDG is not a Fougère nor a Gourmand... It resembles them... but its not any of those.

So maybe this is the reason Guerlain changed EDG from a eau de toilette to a Eau Fraiche... It marks the ending of the classic perfumary and hints a new time... Each eau fraiche represents a history age:

* Eau de Cologne Imperiale = Romantic = mid 19th century

* Eau de Cologne du Coq = Realism/Nationalism/Pre Avant-Garde= 19th century ending

*Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat = Belle Èpoque/Avant-Garde = early 20th century

*Eau de Guerlain = Existentialism/Post-Modernism/Relativism = 20th century core

Eau de Guerlain represents the ending of a innocent, proud, revolutionary and honest time (early 20th century) and the rising of a cynical, rhetorical, individualist and technological-oriented 20th century ending... This fragrance is the proof perfumery is a form of art... That's the Guerlain's interpretation of the Age of the Extremes, the way Eric Hobsbawn calls the short 20th century!
A MILESTONE!

⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑ (5/5)

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I first tried this one at the Guerlain Boutique in the French section of EPCOT and was won over. It's a delightful citrus and mint scent; it reminds me a bit of Dior's Eau Sauvage and a bit of Cartier Roadster - but it smells distinctively elegant and well-wrought, like a Guerlain.

However, my fragrance-absorbing skin does it again: longevity is not good unless I spray it on my cotton tee shirt top. This is the fate of all such light cologne scents on me, I am sorry to say.

So - I'll just stick with my inexpensive 4711. Same vibe, costs little, use lots.

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

4.5 from 5 - 96P (out of 100) - silky citrus - Splash it over you and it will splash you with pleasure! One of world's best citrus because of its homogeneous flow from top to heart, and the heart being like a princess: a bright beauty, a silky structure, mellow, citrus at its mildest. Enjoy it together with an Andante from Mendelssohn and you will have most noble spring pleasure.

Nickie
Nickie

On some shopping sites I've found Eau de Guerlain listed under Women's fragrance, but I'd be inclined to either move it to Men's or simply create a new Unisex catagory.

It's undeniably fresh, with an opening burst of lemon and mint. It's during the drydown that deeper notes like oakmoss and lavender come through and, it's here that I think some noses will find it tips towards the masculine.

However, it is most definitely unisex: women will be able to wear it comfortably without raising conservative eyebrows and men will not find it overly feminine.

It lasts well on my skin, but I do need to top up after about 4 hours. Silage is soft, too.

I'd recommend Eau de Guerlain; it's undeniably a classic and, if you like unisex fragrances, it can't fail to score.

Jwaks
Jwaks

Classy, traditional and undeniably beautiful. Eau de Guerlain's enchanting opening offers a soothing mix of pungent citrus peel oils mixed with fresh picked herbal mint and bitter, earthy neroli. Within minutes, those enticing top notes sadly slip away revealing nutty and spicy caraway, smooth mint, a touch of basil, hints of herbal lavender and light animalistic musk. Mint, caraway and musk last long into the lightly woody, floral and mossy dry down. Eau de Guerlain is proof that, 'beauty is fleeting' for if this scent was parfum strength it could be legendary. For now, its single fatal flaw may forever hinder its true potential to be an absolute masterpiece...

Score 7/10

sussex2
sussex2

Warning: over the top review to follow.

I do not want this fragrance to be touched by any other scent. No food smells, dog odour or car fumes can be allowed to interfere with this perfectly balanced blend. It should be smelled, alone, in the cool, still of the night. Not another scent to fracture its gossamer cloud.

When the fleeting and effervescent top notes subside an image is revealed. A perfectly ripened, sweet but sharp citrus fruit . A fully formed image of the whole fruit. Plucked from the tree, washed free of any dirt or dust and left to warm in the summer sun. The gentle, waxy skin is lined with a soft and fluffy white layer of pith. This in turn hides the tangy, sugary citrus juice contained within the plump segments of the fruit. A slightly hazy yet somehow perfect reflection of nature's beauty rendered through perfumery.

Strange to want to smell this, almost living fragrance, in such a furtive and jealous manner; but that's how it must be. A tiny slice of heaven experienced in seclusion.

Oh, did I mention I quite like this one?

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

i tried it..i found that i love it...difficult to describe...simple yet attractive...longetivity not that bad....

ligosky
ligosky

After reading a lot about this scent I had to try it. Delightfully citrus going on, but final drydown is so spearmint I feel like I smell like chewing gum! I'll put it away until next summer and see if it seems different then. Quite disappointed. Judith, Detroit

nutbuddies951
nutbuddies951

Just got a new bottle. After 30 seconds, the effect is less than the soap I use. Save your money, unless you want to pay for wearing nothing at all.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Utterly perfect in every way. This is the very best Eau de Cologne there is. Refreshing, non-linear, strange as hell, and signature-scent worthy. It's a head scratcher and a lovely indulgence at once.

dlane1953
dlane1953

I have a bottle of the vintage formula which is very different from the newer version (I only have to look at the reviews to see this). My nose tells me that the Fragranctica notes for this scent are clearly for the vintage formulation.
This is a very complex frag, a lot going on here for a seemingly light citrus-aromatic. The opening is wonderfully zingy with citrus, and the green herby note of basil adds even more freshness. The middle notes are many; I couldn't pick out all of them, but to my nose these are most noticable; caraway, sandalwood, patchouli, lavender, a touch of jasmine, rose and mint. (Love these pre-formulation frags! They're always so much more interesting.) The drydown, a nice musky, oakmoss based accord, seems to make this scent last longer than most citrus fragrances; longevity was about 4-5 hours on me. It's so refreshing and unique that I don't mind spraying every hour if need be.

A thumbs-up for this formula, it's sensational. A great hot weather daytime scent for men or women. (The floral notes are not in-your-face; they are subtle.)

Grottola
Grottola

Eau de Guerlain is not a classic Eaux in the conventional sense of the term; it doesn't have a citrus/neroli-heavy accord. What makes it shine, however, is the crispest, most delectable lemon verbena accord in all of perfumery. Just straight up honeyed lemon verbena for hours on end. It doesn't last TOO long, but that's okay, because this stuff is a pleasure to reapply.

If you want a lemon verbena fragrance, look no further. Eau de Guerlain is one of the absolute greatest summer fragrances ever made, for men and women.

drummagick
drummagick

This is the first scent with mint that I've actually liked. Not loved enough to buy a bottle, but liked.

Very fresh and clean. A good scent to refresh yourself with in the heat of summer.

It seems very well balanced. I got an immediate burst of citrus then it settled down right away into something that's light and not overpowering in any direction.

madamesinn
madamesinn

This makes me greedy. Clean and greedy.
My mother too - she's always happy to spritz when I offer. Guiltily though, so my partner, the GuerlainPurveyor, has bought her a bottle for her birthday.
Which makes me want more of my own; See?...Greedy.

Sassy1
Sassy1

This is the 2nd Guerlain I've tried with high hopes of the perfect citrus summer scent.

First sniff, wonderful!! More lime than lemon but bright and fresh, done just right. Not face puckering screechy sour but also not candy sweet. Again, perfect.

Unfortunately, this only lasts about 30 seconds. Then comes on a mossy green similar to Cristalle that darkens and flattens the citrus down to a barely discernable smudge.

After this stage I get more spice and the lavendar is prominent. The drydown reminds me alot of Bois de Iles, very gingerbread like.

Even if you use a ton of it, it only shouts for a few short minutes, then whispers for the rest of it's 1-2 hour life.

Skin close and unobtrusive but not the gem I'm looking for.

Yes, this is citrus at its best. Very classic and mannered, fresh in an old-fashioned way, much respectable and elegant but it inevitably reminds me of my grandmother that used to spray it on linen handerchiefs that she was taking out of her purse at any good occasion. Anytime I smell Eau de Guerlain, I see my grandma opening her purse and litterally fill the room with top quality lemon and verbena unwittingly marking my childhood. To me Eau De Gurelain is more the smell of my memory than a body perfume but without a doubt, this is masterpiece.

Rating: 8.5-9/10

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

This scent is very well-mannered . On everyday basis.The lemon dominates and the skin of the lemon, bergamot. The scent is from the family Hermes cologne, sisley champagne... something from these notes only more feminine and fruity. Try :)

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Eau de Guerlain fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Guerlain Eau de Guerlain, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.