Designers » F-H » Chypre Floral « Groups

Guerlain Chant d'Aromes Guerlain for women
dislike

aldehydic
yellow floral
Guerlain Chant d'Aromes Guerlain for women Pictures Guerlain Chant d'Aromes Guerlain for women Pictures Guerlain Chant d'Aromes Guerlain for women Pictures Guerlain Chant d'Aromes Guerlain for women Pictures Guerlain Chant d'Aromes Guerlain for women Pictures Guerlain Chant d'Aromes Guerlain for women Pictures

Guerlain Chant d'Aromes was created by Jean-Paul Guerlain in 1962. This is a fragrance for a woman which wears perfume for the sake of her pleasures only. It is a floral bouquet that talks a language of flowers. This perfume contains natural essences and belongs to the 'chypre' olfactory group. The main notes are aldehydes, gardenia, mirabelle, jasmine, cloves, honeysuckle, ylang-ylang, heliotrope, benzoin, oliban and vetiver.

Aldehydes Plum Gardenia Citruses

Jasmine Honeysuckle Ylang-Ylang Clove

Benzoin Heliotrope Olibanum Vetiver Vanilla Sandalwood

Ma Griffe

Guerlain Chant d'Aromes Fragrance Reviews

gtabasso
gtabasso

Typical of Guerlain. Goes on a lovely vintage aldehydic floral and dries down soapy but with a bite to it. I am wearing vintage cologne in the round flacon montre.

gillianlaura
gillianlaura

Finding it rather soapy too or is it shampoo ? Sorry not for me at all!

Madrona
Madrona

Soapiest of soapy soaps.

shiva-woman
shiva-woman

This is a very wearable and I would even say modern classic perfume that does not remind me at all of Vol de nuit, nor does it remind me of Mitsouko, but considerably more like L'heure bleu. It is an aldehyde the first 10-20 minutes with a citrus peachy vibe, and is also reminiscent of Chanel 5. This is a powder--but not a powder powerhouse. There is an old fashioned soapy quality to it which I like here as it is done with a light touch (do not think functional fragrances). It is a tamer, less complex, more easy going combination of bleu and Chanel 5. Unfortunately the scent which starts well becomes a skin scent quickly. I like it and it's pleasant for spring, but like others have said, it doesn't wow me. I pick up the plum a bit, white flowers, a trace of vanilla and heliotrope, but I really don't get any oak moss. Overall, I will finish my small bottle and enjoy but will not miss when gone. I think Guerlain and other houses create better works in this vein, but not bad. Sillage and longevity are much less than, say bleu or Channel.

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

Not getting much floral, either. It's almost more musky to me. I have my own perspective about florals. Women can wear them and be feminine. I'm not trying to be feminine but also dislike being "told" "men don't wear florals".. because most of the men offerings are just too herbal for me. Harsh. Going back in time over 50 years brings me to another personal view: These can trend toward both sexes today and if I were at Guerlain I'd seriously consider a new marketing campaign for the classics with this twist of being for both women and men. The aldehydes here are very well mannered. I like a fume which can be both subtle but also maintains its own density if that makes sense. It isn't so fresh to me but far from musty .. musky, earthy, yes; musty, no. To me, this is a more refined Madame Rochas. Chant d'Aromes can be taken to the office or enclosed spaces with no concern of anything but being pleasing - not that it plays "safe". If you love fragrances and aren't locked into a particular group, by all means give this song a chance to be sung. You can take this anywhere even just enjoying a lazy day at home.
(I know there isn't any musk but that density aspect is what I mean.)

Namida
Namida

As other people have said this is just nice, hairspray- aldheydes top notes and then a vague reminder of Mitsouko. Given the time of its release, I cant' help but think of an innocent-looking naked model with big hair combed with hairspray. ( Mitsouko hairspray did really exist at that time)
Honestly I think Guerlain has better options both among the classics and the contemporary perfumes.
Also, I don't think Chant d'aromes is particularly floral nor aromatic like the name suggests. The peachy-moss is dominant over other accords, it gets sweeter as it stays on the skin (the familiar guerlinade) while being delicate and discreet.

Review for the EDT, late decades of the last century. The new one seems indeed to be more chypre-aromatic and summery, but lacks the sweetness and it's less dense.

Kai'elle
Kai'elle

I so wanted to love this...but no :(
No matter how many chances I gave it..no matter the season..no matter the occasion..no matter the application technique..
Every time without fail... 'old spinsters house' kept running through my head. Damn it :(

L: Moderate
S: Moderate/High

Mr Viking
Mr Viking

Chant d´Aromes is a bright, playfull, beautifull floral fragrance. IMO one of Guerlains best of all time.
I very much agree that it has got to be applied to the skin in order to be fully recognized as the masterpiece it really is.

theladymay
theladymay

I'm not sure why I haven't reviewed this before, except perhaps because it's beauty really defies words. I have a huge vintage parfum as well as several clock bottles of cologne - I haven't smelled the modern version. It's an aldehydic floral chypre which is an unpopular style of fragrance in 2016 - but there's nothing old smelling about it. The aldehydic fruity opening is very gentle; the white floral heart is beautiful, soft, lightly sweet; the quietly mossy sandalwood and vanilla base is touched with just a hint of frankincense. Chant d'Aromes is the perfect end of winter perfume to me. It can be worn any time of the year easily, but it especially brings those first days when the snow has gone and maybe a few tiny hints of green are showing to my mind. It's both daytime wearable and romantic enough for evening. Truly a lovely fragrance. I feel very lucky to have it.

davide2111
davide2111

Aldeidi, aldeidi ed ancora aldeidi!!! Il profumo di pulito è il primo obbiettivo che si raggiunge indossando questo profumo. Infine il bouquet di fiori di gardenia, jasmina e ylang-ylang donano un tocco di femminilità marcata a questa fragranza giffata Guerlain. Profumo per over 35.
Longevità 8/10
Sillage 8,5/10
Profumo 7/10

Peachysugarbuns
Peachysugarbuns

Chant d'Aromes has been described beautifully in the comments below. I agree that it "feels Guerlain"; however, compared to some of the more "cerebral" or absolutely emotional Guerlain fragrances, Chant d'Aromes is rather calm and easy-going. (I am wearing a modern version, but I'm dying to smell a vintage...)

C d'A is particularly interesting to me because I do not detect a strong peach note like I do in other fragrances in its style (certain concentrations of No. 5 or Arpege, for example), and for a chypre it is quite subtle, reminding me of an ultra-lite Climat.

The first ten minutes of Chant d'Aromes smell quite "B Vitamin" (citronellol?) but soon a wistful, tender scent appears, with uplifting aldehydes, tender-sweet florals, cosmetic-like powder, dusty vetiver and a hint of citrus zest (at the end of each whiff). Citrus notes fade completely after 45 minutes on me. I feel like if I contemplate this fragrance I will understand other Guerlain compositions a bit better. Some Guerlains are like a Calculus class, but I only have a "pre-algebra" nose! Gotta take these fragrance masterpieces step-by-step sometimes :)

ANYWAY, this fragrance is gorgeous and I can't wait to try it in Springtime weather.

mruf1
mruf1

I found a sample of this today and decided to try it, hoping it would not be too much in the office, or in this high humidity and heat (PA suburbs). It was not ...it is just so pretty. I did not put much on, but I can't stop smelling my wrists. Delicate floral aura all around me. I consider this fragrance very wearable, for any occasion. Would love a FB of Chant d'Aromes

goldeneraglamour
goldeneraglamour

A very green aldehydic scent, like a lighter, peach-free and spice-free Mitsouko. Reminds me of Vol de Nuit as well. Could pass as unisex. Lacks sweetness. Typical Jean-Paul Guerlain style fragrance. Has been compared to Balenciaga Le Dix on Fragrantica but Le Dix is sweet, and the main characteristic they share is the strong aldehydes.

JMSG
JMSG

If fairies wore perfume, that perfume would be Chant d'Aromes.

This is simply the prettiest scent I have ever smelled. Young, sweet, lips parted, eyes bright-- it is innocence incarnate.

Henriette
Henriette

I still have a bottle of Chant d'Aromes from mid-'80es, Guerlain's scents have an exceptional preserving power - had I known that I would surely have stocked up on Mitsouko, Shalimar and Parure most of all.

Chant d'Aromes is a scent that struck me when I first used it: it was so uncommon, so different from the other Guerlains I had used until then.
No orientalism, no complexity, no ground-breaking.

Dull?
Unimpressive?
Boring?

NO, NO, NO, NOT AT ALL!!!

Wonderful, beautiful in its (her?) simplicity, marvellous, perfect.
Chamade is a floral in tailleur, Chant d'Aromes is a floral in a chemisier.
Chamade is a floral on high heels, Chant d'Aromes is a floral in sneakers.
Chant d'Aromes does not care of her hair perfectly combed, does not care if eating a sandwich will eventually lick her lips covered with sauce.
Chant d'Aromes is informal, shy only apparently, always classy but with no impositions.

Chant d'Aromes is what remains of the garden in Aprés l'Ondée after the rain has stopped and the sun is peeking from the clouds (Chamade being the same garden in summer after the rain has totally dried and sun is shining since many days).

I love Chant d'Aromes and do regret the time when perfumes conveyed feelings, emotions, complexity and made you feel special every day.

archivist
archivist

This review is about the 2004 EDT in the bee bottle - it reminds me very much of vintage Je Reviens. The only other Chant d'Aromes I've smelled is the vintage EDC (clock bottle), which I swapped away many years ago because it didn't make much of an impression on me. I like this very much - it smells like Cashmere Bouquet soap from my childhood (decades ago, kids), quietly floral, no screeching white musk, a bit of sandalwood and a hint of incense. It is calm, centered, timeless. Everyone needs something like Chant d'Aromes to help bring their nose back to center, away from trends and fashions of the moment (and of the past) and back to something that is neither overly synthetic nor honkingly natural, not a yell or a whisper, but just a direct and loving gaze of a scent.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

If you knew me now, you would never guess that as a child, I was extremely shy and introverted. I used to believe that if I was quiet and allowed other people to speak, in time, they would reveal their truest selves. I noticed how so many people were always so unhappy, so I used to pick flowers on my way to school and give them to strangers. I never said a word, I would just hand a flower to someone who looked like they needed it, just to see them smile. Sometimes, I still do this, and it STILL surprises me how such a simple act of kindness can make people happy.

If I had to choose a fragrance that represents my inner child, that sweet, shy, innocent, girly girl who gave flowers to strangers just to make them smile, it would be this one. It is so light and beautiful. It is innocent and fresh and pure. In some ways, the light greenish florals remind me of vintage Chamade, but Chamade is more sparkly and effervescent. This one is much more innocent. I have a vintage EDC in the round glass bottle with the cone stopper. It's what I imagine a playground in heaven smells like.

artsyrn
artsyrn

This is simply stunning to me. It is reminiscent of Cleef and Van Arpel's -First in it's beginning,( perhaps the aldehydye?) but takes on a life very much it's own after the start. This scent has a bit of a lift for certain, though remains soft,delicate,powdery,with a mature,sensual-floral-fruity-earthy essence that leaves a beautiful trail of tender aroma throughout the day. Masterful!

suhaesa
suhaesa

a beautiful perfume reminds me of a perfume called glamour by borjouas..this perfume glamour is used heavily in making bridal perfumes..
very fresh very sensuale very characteristic very light yet long lasting and integrating alive fresh and dries down to a powdery second skin its definitely a skin scent ..its lemony ..aldehic ..white florally and yellow florally with a hint of warm spicy balmy woodsy notes ..
i think it resembles crystal from chanel in its crispiness..tome i think its abit green citrusy and acidic in a beautiful way ..its a morning scent a lovely vibrant connotation of light yet characteristic notes full of life
i have the refillable gold flask which is so beautiful

edt 93 ml
perfume ratting 4.3 out 5
bottle ratting 4.3 out 5

diva90403
diva90403

You really need to give this one its time to develope. Don`t try it on paper. Makes no sense at all as it needs your skin to develope the final scent. At the beginning I was almost sad as I smelled only citruses, followed by gardenia. It was really soapy and reminded me of L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci ( which I hate). I gave it another try this morning. By the way it`s much warmer today and the sun is out. It was cold and evening when I tried it the first time.
I love it today. I smells just great. A mix of warm, soft powder on my skin. Reminds me a little of the vintage Miss Dior I used to smell on my aunt as a child in the 80s. Glamour, red lips, a woman with a statement. It`s great for me but you really need to try it on your skin.

Bajar
Bajar

After two dull and rainy days, a shy sun peeked out of the clouds this morning and I felt the need for some Chant d' Aromes to brighten my day more. I have a vintage EdC (circa 1978) that I bought sealed from an old beauty store. I can't say that I love it as much as Parure but it's a nice and romantic chypre that always makes me smile. This afternoon I had the chance to try the recent reformulation of Chant d' Aromes EdT and now, one hour later, I'm still confused. I can't find any similariry between them and I'm not talking about the lack of oakmoss only. On my skin the new one behaves like a light "womanish" aftershave with the intention of blossoming into a real feminine perfume but without success. On the other hand, I smell vintage perfumes so often that probably it's difficult for me to appreciate new reformulations even if they are good and, as far as I know, this one is not bad at all.

Esscentially299
Esscentially299

I was introduced to this fragrance when I was fifteen, a very long time ago. Wasn't sure that I liked it then, but I love it now. The first impression is a little brisk, almost astringent, then settling down into a medely of flowers, underscored with a woody note, or vetiver, or maybe a hint of myrrh? Whatever is in the mix, it isn't quite like any other fragrance I know. Fresh sunny florals, soft and powdery with modest longevity, sweet, but never excessively so, it is one I can't stop sniffing on my wrist. I think what intrigues me is that the fragrance is a something of a shape shifter: each time I wear it I seem to detect something new. This creates a sense of mystery for me, and captures my attention. The EDT I remember from the sixties seemed stronger, but memories from so long ago can be tricky. Anyway, I love this fragrance, and will contine to buy it as long as I can. A lovely subtle, floral scent suitable for any occasion.

murasakisan
murasakisan

I first began wearing this as EDT in 1974. It's been my go-to scent ever since. Lovely, warm, floral, not cloying, fine for day or evening. Subtly sexy. Just tried the vintage perfume from my tiny TPC sample. Gorgeous. Warmer and richer than the EDT. The new EDT version I purchased a few years ago is just
not the same, but it's still so much better than the fruity bug sprays found at today's perfume counter. I'm trying different Guerlains, but this is still my favorite. I wish, I wish, I wish they would bring back the original fragrance in perfume form.

stacia79
stacia79

The sixth Guerlain I have tried, and I love it just as much as the others. A beautiful feminine powder. It reminds me very much of the old Cover Girl pressed powder compacts I used when I was a teenager. A lovely nostalgic scent, perfect for spring and summer.

jtd
jtd

I never know what to make of Chant d’Aromes. It seems more of a powdery, aldehydic, lactonic floral than a true chypre. Yet the hint of a chypre base, more vetiver than moss, combined with the remnant of the peachy lactone of equal duration, is the only part of much interest. And this final bit is so faint I have to strain to make it out.

The powdery, indistinct opening used to give me a bit of hope that maybe the diaphanous air might coalesce into something haunting or interesting as Vol de Nuit does with its can’t-put-my-finger-on-it top notes. Unfortunately, the undefined but pleasant opening grows increasingly vague. Chant d’Aromes seems clean in that it’s blandly unadulterated, but not heightened or expansive like the best floral aldehydes. Despite aldehydic perfumes often being considered old-ladyish, there’s just something more girlish than womanly about CdA. Not so much naïve as inexperienced. It’s as if CdA could be any other indistinct designer sweet floral fragrance with a bit of aldehyde added.

CdA has a pretty smile, but not a lot of chat. Equally undemanding and unrewarding.

katydid
katydid

This was my introduction to the wonders of Guerlain. I bought it in the mid sixties when I was in my teens. I hadn't realised before,that a scent could have such a physical effect and my tummy did its first little Guerlain flip. This took me on to Shalimar and L'Heurre Bleu,my all time loves.

Janafrench
Janafrench

I was given this perfume when in France in 1962, it came in a beautiful refillable container, tall white with a pattern of flowers and leaves, I managed to get a refil a few years ago, but cann't find it again, I love this perfume it brings back so many wonderful memories of Paris, and it is different to all the other Guerlain perfumes, and gets nicer the longer it is on you skin.

Lady Love
Lady Love

This has to be one of the less aggressive and inoffensive scent created by Guerlain. I can detect gardenia and plum notes. It's extremely powdery.

Chant d'Aromes Is a 'More Friendly' Chypre than Parure.

The EDT is true to the parfum, but requires many reapplications.

Maki
Maki

This scent really needs SKIN! No use sniffing this from a card, it needs the warmth of your skin for it to reveal it's ultimate beauty.

I LOVE Chant d'Aromes!

Like it's name suggests, it is all in one when it comes to 'aroma's': The clean feel of a 'clean' perfume - at first spritz, it made me think of Estee from Estee Lauder, but during the developingproces, I got: the elegance of a Guerlain, the flowers like they're meant to smell if it's up to nature and finaly the powdery breeze when 'cuddling up in your own aura'...

So lovely!

Less outspoken than L'Heur Bleue or Mitsouko and therefore suitable for more occasions if not for any occasion and that, to me, is in it's favour.

Love it, love it, love it!

marielon
marielon

I came late to loving Guerlain. I have a small amount of vintage Chant d'Aromes, and it is beautiful. The peach note is so soft, like a watered velvet. If it had a voice-- it would sing like Diana Ross.

CHANT d'AROMES strikes me as an excellent introduction to some of Guerlain's serious masterpieces, especially L'HEURE BLEUE, which is so intense that wearing it becomes an entire event in and of itself. No need to make plans to go anywhere or do anything while wearing L'HEURE BLEUE, which is such a rapturous experience that you may as well simply surrender to its power to captivate and bewitch.

Wrapped in the arms of CHANT D'AROMES, which to me is more a symphony than a song, I feel a vague resonance with L'HEURE BLEUE, but CHANT does not melt me into dysfunctionality. This is a sunnier, happier, but still lovely fragrance in which a small bundle of tiny multicolored flowers mingle harmoniously among more intense elements, including aldehydes. However here, in contrast to the Guerlain chefs-d'oeuvre, the non-floral elements are never permitted to dominate; they never steal the show.

Despite being considerably less intense, CHANTS d'AROMES is a fine, eminently wearable fragrance with its own subtle form of beauty. And one which can be worn in public, even in broad daylight, I might add!

EternalSunshine7
EternalSunshine7

I was three years old and playing in my mum's room. I used to love applying fragrant powders on me. I would put on so much that I ended up looking like a powdered donut...nose & neck were completely white from the powder. But I was all grins.

Oh how this brings joy to my nose. Something in here is bringing childhood memories back to life. VERY floral and somewhat powdery...but so lovely! (And this is coming from someone who is not too keen on floral fragrances). I can't pick out ANY note in here. It's a wild mix of florals and something slightly woodsy/spicy/mossy, but it's an unforgettable frangrance to me! It smells like those pretty packaged, scented powders that come with a puffy, pillow-like applicator. Softly romantic, classic, and nice to my nose. Last pretty long too--8 hours on me.

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

My mother's all-time favorite. She would go to Tijuana to get this in the 80's when you couldn't find it in the States. I remember it as if it were a part of a dream- a sweet, soft scent that I admired even when I hated most perfumes because they gave me a headache. I'd like to try this one again with an adult nose.

bebina
bebina

I just got the EDT version of this. When I first apply it, it goes on very alcoholy, but then it dries down to a very strong bergamot on me, a bit sweet with powdery notes at the end. Wearable, but not my favorite, I'm afraid.

scenthound
scenthound

This one is surprisingly decent considering it's an old Guerlain fragrance - I find the older ones very potent and aggressive... reaking almost. I think the plum, ylang-ylang, vanilla and heliotrope are what make this wearable and interesting.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Guerlain Chant d'Aromes fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Guerlain Guerlain Chant d'Aromes, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Guerlain Chant d'Aromes by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Guerlain Chant d'Aromes by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.