Designers » F-H » Oriental Floral « Groups

Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau Guerlain for women

Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau  Guerlain for women
dislike

I have it: 762 I had it: 158 I want it: 500 My signature: 12

The commercially successful experiment of Shalimar Parfum Initial (2011), a first foray for the budding Guerlain consumer into the legendary cosmos of the iconic Shalimar, continues. For 2012, Guerlain is planning on launching a flanker to this version called Shalimar Initial L'Eau. A lighter and drier spring bouquet, comprised of lily of the valley, freesia and hyacinth will garland the familiar vanillic coziness and warmth of the modernised Shalimar Initial to inject a fresh take for warmer weather, without the pitfall of too much sweetness.

It is available as 40, 60 and 100 ml EDT. The nose behind this fragrance is Thierry Wasser.

Neroli Bergamot Grapefruit Orange

iris Jasmine Hyacinth Freesia Rose Lily-of-the-Valley

Tonka Bean Vanille

Shalimar Parfum Initial
Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau Si Sensuelle

Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau Fragrance Reviews

gugute
gugute

Oh this is a blind buy love. Love love love. While soft and perhaps does not project very well, I can smell the soft cloud around me and it makes me soooo happy.
When I tested this EDT I sprayed some on my wrist and loved the initial citrusy punch, which then softened and sweetened pretty quick. And then it kept coming back. Day after day after day. When I sprayed it on my wrist, some perfume landed on my wrist watch strap (metal) and THREE WEEKS later I could still smell it. It smelt of something gentle, to me it reminded of the comforting smell of the camomile and honey tea. And then I knew it was love :)

mschnabel666
mschnabel666

This is lovely, a true EDT to the gorgeous Parfum Initial EDP.
The EDP moved to #2 on my all time fave list.... it's sooooo good. But the EDT lacks the thick syrup-foodie-yummy that I find so addictive in the EDP.

But I found a deal on the EDTs and I can use it with abandon and not feel guilty about wasting. It is satisfying enough.

A light mist of citrus powder, with floral and vanilla. Pretty simple and easy-breezy. It's feminine and light.

Kai'elle
Kai'elle

Beautiful, but brief, Citrus opening. However it quickly transforms to a Pink Floral Powder - these are the only words that come to mind when I smell this scent. I am able to pick out the Iris on occasion as well as the Jasmine. Though neither are a stand out note. The Hyacinth, Freesia and Rose seem to blend together making the Pink Floral Powder note I labelled this perfume with.

The silage is very soft and the longevity is moderate on me - 3 hours or so. I find this a very elegant and feminine scent but fail to garner any 'sexy' feel from it. The smooth, warm dry down is my favorite part by far. I cant deny that its lovely....but it does not inspire me.

samloves
samloves

This was a blind buy, I had previously smelled Initial and thought it too sharp, was disappointed and rubbed it off which I should know by now that perfumes can totally change from the initial spray to the dry down. I was expecting L'eau to be citrusy with no resemblance to my beloved Shalimar EDP so to say I was pleasantly surprised that in fact it did smell very similar to the original EDP is an understatement . Yes the first few seconds are a bit sharp but still lovely and then after a few minutes that sharpness wears off and it becomes soft, fresh, soapy but still warm and gentle but there was a problem! The silage and longevity are so bad on me, it lasts all of a half hour, I can't believe Guerlain would make such a weak fragrance, perfumes are just not what they used to be. Shame but overall its really beautiful.

James99
James99

Guerlain SPI is way better compared to L'Eau.SPI is unisex since it's the same as Dior Homme Intense and vintage Dior Homme. L'Eau is very powdery like the Johnson Johnson baby powder. It's also starts very herbal, it reminds me of medicine but this goes away and it's become very clean scent. To me it smells like a clean baby,the mother used Johnson Johnson baby soap,lotion and the powder. We all love freshly clean babies! I think this would go well with a woman who had a baby...the baby and the mother would smell great together :] so yea, this is a clean powdery scent for women....new mothers. Cheers.

beautifulchaos
beautifulchaos

Purchased this as a blind buy, like most of my perfumes. I guess it's part of the rush... But I was not disappointed at all. This is one of my all time favorites! So sad it was discontinued. Guerlain is one of my favorite houses.

Upon receiving this Initial L'eau version of Shalimar, I wasn't sure if I would like it. I caught wind of a powdery sweet scent after unwrapping the cellophane. Powder and sweetness is not appealing to me. Too girly, too pink. However I spritzed it on, and to my surprise, I *loved* it.

The initial spray is a sharp powdery citrus. There is very little sweetness to it. It is a semi-spicy zest kissed with a touch of vanilla and iris. Neither the floral notes or vanilla are overbearing but instead are soft and sensual (though I am not sure if it's the vanilla or tonka bean I smell). These notes create an amazing combination that makes this scent complex, but each is so easily deciphered. The drydown remains powdery without being headache-inducing. The citrus notes linger as well as tonka bean. After hours of wear the scent dies down to a soft floral powder with an ever-so-slight spice. The many facets of this fragrance really can't be described with words. It is a multi-dimensional work of art. Addictive.

Shalimar Initial L'eau is great for daily wear or special occasions. I've only had a chance to test it out in the warmer months, so I can't wait to see how it transitions in cooler weather. I would totally wear this any time, any season. Purchased back up bottles and always on the lookout for more.

Irisaddict
Irisaddict

I ordered this blind based on the notes and the reviews, Iris is my favourite floral note and I found the original Shalimar never really worked for me so had high hopes for this combination..

I got a huge blast of aniseed for the first few minutes - which is not a note I like at all but I've noticed for me it does quite frequently at the outset creep into vanilla based scents and although not listed above I'm sure it must be one of the key opening notes. However I'm really hoping the sharp anise will go very soon so that the iris and citrus notes can make a welcome appearance. I can almost taste the aniseed at the back of my throat and it's making me think of gobstoppers and talcum powder.

Pithy grapefruit now coming through with sweeter vanilla and some pencil shaving iris notes but all very soft and close to the skin. So far once I get beyond the initial aniseed I see this as a delicate spring/summer fragrance that begins a little screechy but quickly mellows. Think I'll need to get to know it a little better before I decide whether it'll be a success story for me or not.

igalmusic
igalmusic

Masterpiece!!! Elegant ,feminine and sexy scent for real and confident woman.So much fresher and nicer than Shalimar perfume.Very long lasting. Beautiful bottle. Definitely worth the price!Sweet ,woody ,oriental perfume MAGIC

mapache
mapache

OMG !!! Why I debated and waited sooooo long to buy this. It is a truly magnificent scent. I guess the reason that prevented me all this time ...is...I honestly DISLIKE original Shalimar...!!! This starts out all iris to my nose..with citrus somehow calming it down. The dry-down is awesome...beautiful. In the "vibe" of Dior Homme/Dior Homme Intense....and might I add..Dior Addict..but BETTER !!! It is discontinued...and even tho I just received my new bottle today, I am buying a back-up for sure. I give this a solid 9/10. A Wasser masterpiece.Projection/sillage is, of course, way lighter than it's Mother Shalimar, which to me is a good thing. It wafts around you for a considerable time...letting you know...it is still there...without ever becoming cloying. The citrus, I think,IMHO, prevents this from being that typical "powder puffy" drydown...which I am also very happy about.
I highly suggest this scent. Get it while you can ...the prices are very reasonable on-line. I would say also that it can be a safe blind buy...if you are familiar with Guerlainade.....A+ scent !!!

Dcarlo
Dcarlo

A perfect match for Parfum Initial. The opening is very citric but not as sharp and disgusting as some have said, and I have a very sensitive nose!
Is divine for warmer months and I would say any one could wear it, man or woman, Guerlains are very borderline ( most of them ).
The opening is soft bergamot, lemon and mandarin with neroli, the neroli remains the whole day, then the base is jazmin and iris to blend with Guerlains addictive vanilla and tonka.
It lacks the heavy ( yet delightful ) patchouli and caramel notes of PI, but that's why I reccomend wearing this for daytime and PI for evenings.
Too bad it was discontinued but you can still find it online.
A fresh and marvelous daughter of the queen Shalimar.

Soofiya
Soofiya

It opens zesty and sharp with lots of citrus notes,mostly bergamot,also grapefruit and orange..this much citrus is too much for my taste,so I really don't like the opening part of it...soon middle notes start to show up with blasts of powdery iris and other florals..I am a fan of powdery scents but this much powder is too much even for me..there is also a bitter undertone which I like but in whole I don't like the middle phase either
But the dry down is the part I die for,powdered mist starts to calm down and sit on my skin gently..I can still detect citrusy iris but in a lovely blend with soft,warm vanilla and tonka...it's still powdery but in a soft gorgeous way and thanks god first phases don't last long on me
L'eau is a milder version of initial..it's younger,fresher and less serious(no patchouli here)..it's a scent you can use all around the year but I prefer spring and fall..good longevity(about 8 hours)with a good sillage during the first phases and then it sits close to skin
I also love it's elegant bottle
I can't name shalimar l'eau a love because of it's sharp opening but I can say I like it very much and am happy to have it in my collection

nero77
nero77

Chalky Iris & Bergamot... a cool and sublime beauty.

A really nice fragrance from Thierry Wasser. I think it's a lovely fragrance but it doesn't seem like it quite belongs in the Shalimar family.

I do love the combination of Iris and the top citrus notes of Bergamot etc I still get the vanilla dry-down of the original Shalimar, but this version seems more subdued. In fact it feels like a completely different fragrance, or version to the original. I think this was the intention with this (a "flanker" of a "flanker").

Nevertheless I do enjoy this one and find it cool and calming. It's very nice. Thierry Wasser did an amazing job as always and it's one I would recommend (as I would anything by the house of Guerlain). Cool and sublime, this fragrance is a standalone beauty.

Pimpernell
Pimpernell

The opening is not to my taste but it takes only a few minutes and the drydown is pure heaven. A big LOVE. Already ordered a backup bottle.

aspirina
aspirina

A fresh version of Shalimar PI. The bergamot note stays for probably 25 minutes, when it goes away the skin is left with the same powdery, pink fluffiness as in PI but the Iris seems a bit more fresh. Excellent longevity and projection,even though it is an EDT.
Thanks to my dear Gypsy Parfumista for the generous decant :)

verakam
verakam

I hate the opening, too much citrus! it remids me of furniture cleaner; that's why it's been sitting in my shelf so long, but once that's gone you are left with a fresh, lovely scent, perfect for summer,

Suzifun
Suzifun

I ordered manufacturers samples of this after watching a perfume documentary featuring guerlain. When i got the items, I greedily tore into the package. I got a light, lovely smell. Mmmm. I took out a sample and sprayed. No, it is not lemon furniture polish, as many reviews have said. This is distinctly lime. It took me back...soft white fluffiness. From my childhood...What could it be? Ah, I remember. My grandpa's lime barbasol shave cream.

plum
plum

A couple of days ago I read here that this perfume has been discontinued. It has been, indeed, when I took a tour at my 4 local perfume shops, it was nowhere to find and only one shop assistant knew what perfume I was talking about. I found it only on line and because my blind buys are 50-50, I ordered a sample which came today. I sprayed it immediately, and I am buying a full size bottle (if not two)!
It's citrusy at the beginning, but very quickly you will find it's Shalimar. It stays very close to your skin (when I asked my husband if he likes it, he said he can't smell anything).
Now I can smell iris, vanilla, a tiny drop of lemon (but any toilet gel or a furniture polish) and soft cloud of Shalimar. You can find it on Ebay, 100 ml bottle for £20, so hurry up, girls - when it's gone, is gone! But please leave one bottle for me :)

jeannette_84
jeannette_84

Yes, it is @mohsen.nasehip

Titibug
Titibug

I have not smelled anything quite like this enigma. I am pleasantly confused.

On one hand: sumptuous, elegant, warm, serene, like a pale gold swathe of smooth satin velvet, utter luxury without ostentation.

On the other: a bergamotty, irisey, vanilla-ey (apologies to any grammarians out there) guerlainade supreme.

(I would never, ever turn my nose up at a guerlainade: this is unequivocally a 'love'.)

KLAC91
KLAC91

Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau:
This perfume, to me, is the perfect mixture of sophistication and innocence, with a dash of quirky humor (i.e. the bergamot). It opens up extremely citrusy, to the point of almost unpleasant. But in no time at all, it turns into something extremely sensual and powdery. Not quite as voluptuous as the original Shalimar, she is a completely different entity. This one is just a little more... youthful. But OH SO BEAUTIFUL. I bought a 2 ounce bottle of this back in 2012 and used up the entire bottle within months (I loved it THAT much) but I never looked back. I moved on. Fast forward to January of this year, when I read a post about this being discontinued. I rushed to the nearest Guerlain counter and immediately bought a full 3.4 ounce bottle (that's a big deal cause the only other perfumes I've repurchased are Angel and Black Orchid- on my 3rd bottles of both). I sprayed it right when I got home and immediately fell in love all over again. It made me kind of nostalgic for times past. From the harsh citrus opening, to the floral parade in the heart, and to the comforting base of vanilla and tonka beans. I used to wear this to class, to meet friends, going out, I pretty much wore it ALL THE TIME when I first bought it! Now that I'm coming back to it, my friends still recognize the scent and they all still love it on me. My friend came up to me and said "of all the perfumes you wear, this is my favorite" a statement that made me love this perfume even more! This is one of those perfumes where I don't have to think about it. I just spray it on and I know that it will take me, and those lucky enough to be in my presence, through a spellbinding journey. It doesn't last very long though, around 4-5 hours on my skin. But it always leaves me enthralled and thrilled with the experience. Plus that gives me an excuse to spray more of this on. Haha! I think I'm gonna have to stock up on this one before it disappears from the shelves.

Side note: I have tried the EDP version of this, and I'm not a fan of it. Yes they're almost the same, but the edp has less citrusy feel and it makes it that much sweeter. The L'eau version holds on to the citrus notes much longer making it less sweet. HA! And this is coming from an Angel lover! This is the perfume I reach for when I know Angel will just be too much. This is Angel's understudy. But it most definitely holds it's own. Such a gorgeous creation, I DO NOT know what is going on at Guerlain for discontinuing this!

Swamp Lily
Swamp Lily

Several months ago I wrote a review about Shalimar where I said. 'There is a point in this changing perfume where, had it stopped there, it would have been perfect.'

This is it. Perfect.

Chelsea1605
Chelsea1605

Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of smelling the original Shalimar yet but bought this one on a whim after reading reviews (plus it was a bargain on ebay)

I understand though that it smells nothing like the original however all I can say is that it's a scent that i wouldn't normally buy - it's very grown up but wow is it lovely!

I've had the chance to test this properly now and i'm in love. It's soft but empowering. I get the iris and the freesia, then the citrus and now i'm wrapped in a cloud of a slightly sweet floral vanilla. I love how this develops. I sprayed some on my scarf and it smells nowhere near as good as it does on my skin which i'm so happy with. I've been careful and only sprayed once on my wrist and once on my scarf as i'm not sure what punch this packs in the office yet but I can't have enough wonderful things so say about this pink mistress.

If this is my introduction to Guerlain then i am very much looking forward to testing everything else.

hsheep
hsheep

I enjoy this scent a lot and I find no resemblance to the original Shalimar. Initial L'Eau is a sort of soapy iris/floral scent on me, it's very pleasant and pretty. The citrus makes the iris a little tangy and a little fresh. The powderiness contains a little zip too.

I'm about 5 hours in now and it's still very strong, I can smell the tonka beans in the dry down that makes this entire scent very smooth. I don't get vanilla or anything gourmand. I find L'eau a fantastic mix of a modern and classic scent. It's quite quiet and comforting.

I don't have the chemistry for this pink lady though. I often get a sourness from the citrus-iris combo that continues to linger throughout. I like L'Eau overall, but I wanted to love it!

neggii
neggii

I have Shalimar Initial and can't describe my love for it in words. After getting a sample of initial L'Eau I would say I love this one even more!
This scent is deep, fresh and dark but not Gothic. The opening is more woody and fresh with bergamot and grapefruit, bergamot rules to the end, and takes the place of caramel notes of initial. Hence, L'Eau is more suitable for spring/summer and somehow freezes in cold weather.
The sweetness and sillage is definitely less than initial, it also evolves less but longevity is almost the same and very impressive (more than a week on cloth).
I extremely adore citrus especially my lovely bergamot, so guess that's why I prefer this version and can't stop smelling my wrist!
Do not worry about discontinuation, it has continued under the name of Shalimar Initial L'eau Si Sensuelle, the feathery pink bottle which smells identical to this one.
And I disagree with L'eau being a watered down of initial parfum, this is a summer version: mainly citrus, fresher, and less sweet.

Museumgal
Museumgal

Crisp limey powder with the dry Guerlain vanilla. Delicious but not very sweet. Fresh sweet? I don't think words capture this one well. There's a big juxtaposition between the sharp lime and sweet powder iris/vanilla. If you don't like lime that note is going to stick out like a sore thumb! A tad bitter as well.

lilymorena
lilymorena

I have Shalimar EDP, Shalimar Initial L'eau and Shalimar Initial EDP. All three have elements and notes of each other but they are not the same. Shalimar EDP is sweeter, rounder, creamier and the smoke is there from begin till the end. Shalimar Initial L'eau is, for me at least, the best of the three perfumes. Initial L'eau is fresh, inviting to have fun, romantic, flirty, flowery. You can use it all day and it is perfectly for after a shower. Shalimar Initial EDP stay between the other two.

I tested Shalimar Initial and Shalimar Initial L'eau. They smell almost the same in the first 5 minutes. At this stage I thought they were the same. The same orange with the bergamot peel. After the first five minutes Shalimar Initial l'eau begin to smell soapy, soft flowers and vanilla. SI edp begin to smell animalic, earthy, the patchouli emerges. After 10 minutes they smell again almost the same. The drydown is quite different. Shalimar Initial L'eau stays all the way floral, fresh and soapy as in the beginning. Shalimar Initial Edp turns to a gourmand scent. The drydown is caramel and patchouli. I am glad I have all three scents. I just love them all.

bushonka

I have posted a small review before, and this is in additional to my thoughts...

For me this was The Guerlain answer to Coco Mademoiselle and Miss Dior. What was done by Miss Dior for Dior and Coco Mademoiselle for Chanel, it was done by Shalimar parfum Initial L'eau for Guerlain as well. And I can't still believe that they will let this to go away just like that. Only Love for this one from me...

ANNAFRYS
ANNAFRYS

I like it....but its too strong to be Guerlain....so either way...the source I ve got...has it fake..I cant believe its Guerlain...I don't complain but I was expecting something soft...reaching heaven with wanilla over powder....the matt bottle with softer decoration called Sensuelle is the same...one as Initial...its nothing different

kiristarr
kiristarr

I concur 100% with Gigi the Fashionista's friends. I bought this blind and was shocked when I sprayed it on myself - pure lemon furniture polish. I was quite amused to see my very first thought echoed in the first review I read. Disappointing fragrance. Gorgeous bottle though.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

This was my first perfume impulse buy. What a huge mistke that was. Now I'm stuck with it and have to wear it - whenever I want to smell like to quote my friends "lemon furniture polish". I'm a big fan of the original Shalimar, vintage Shalimar original formula. There is no other Shalimar reformulation that can top it. It is a masterpiece, a beautiful arrangement of flowers and spices that exude that exotic Hindi romanticism and a bold 1920's flapper vibe which cannot be found in any other perfume. The reformulations are a joke to me. The first time I tried it all I could pick up on was the citrus notes: bergamot orange and grapefruit. The only other notes I can detect that are swimming in this perfume: vanilla and white jasmine. I'm a big fan of jasmine flowers and I had hoped that this was a jasmine power perfume. I wanted so much for this to smell mostly like jasmine. The vanilla keeps it sweet and this is definitely a skin scent. Hardly anyone can smell it unless they are close to your body. This can mean that the person in the subway sitting next to you can smell it or the person sitting next to you in a movie theater can also smell it on you. I would clasisfy this as a spring and summer fragrance. Definitely not unisex but if you're a guy and you're big on citrus this is for you. On me this is mainly a citrus fragrance. I don't like citrus for a fragrance. I don't care for this perfume at all. The eau de parfum and eau de toilette are said to be different. I have both. The pure perfume is tolerable. It's sweet but not cloying and it is definitely stronger in vanilla but the orange is still very present. Gag. The eau de toilette is worse. It's all citrus. It's like someone got the idea to make a lemon scented polish into a perfume. I don't know why everyone like this perfume and why it continues to sell big time. For Guerlain there are so many other jewels in his collection, the 2 top perfumes being Shalimar and Samsara. Go for the original Shalimar and the original Samsara but stay away from these other Shalimar reformulations. They're quite ghastly!

AnnaT
AnnaT

This is a very faithful edt version of Shalimar Parfum Initial. To me they smells identical but edt is noticeably weaker in terms of strength, sillage and logevity. It gives an impression of soft and fluffy. The inital sharp citruse that opens Parfum Initial is much smoother here. This definitely blooms much better in hot days, in cold days, i can hardly smell it.

Since i love Parfum Inital i love this as well. The most beautiful bottle however must go to Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau Si Sensuelle. I heard that Parfum Initial L'Eau Si Sensuelle is simply putting this edt in a special bottle and then sold as limited edition. But the notes of this two fragrance as showed here is difference?

ps i have it on for around 6 hours now. I catch faint whiff of it from time to time. The drydown (with jasmine rose lily of the valley and vanille) is simply beautiful.

Jerrythecat

Sadly you won't Georgetaylor as it has been discontinued. Finding this little gem is now almost impossible, apart from eBay and Amazon. Thank God I have managed to acquire 4 bottles of the eau and 8 of the EDP in anticipation, as it is very addictive, even for a guy. Not girly teenage sugar candy juice IMO, but proper Guerlain quality and very unisex!
Parfum Initial I miss you already...

georgetaylor
georgetaylor

Upon purchasing this, I had no idea I would fall head over heels.

The initial smell is infectious. It makes me want to spray it over and over and over again. Super soapy citrus, a la citrus dish detergent, yet soooo edible, like lemon meringue pie. Mmmmm good.

That fades pretty quickly, within a couple minutes, and the drydown is so delicious, I am not too sad to see the citrus go! It comes in separate waves, sometimes a wave of very sweet, dry tonka bean hits--like the smell when you crack peanut brittle. Sometimes it is more of a flowery, powdery iris note: super lush in bloom, reminiscent of springtime. At any given moment is a constant, warm, spicy, and powdery vanilla note that is absolutely scrumptious: the smell of confectioner's sugar filling the air, being mixed into vanilla-spice icing.

I am quite impressed with the longevity. The drydown seems to last a good 8 hours for me, though after the first three hours, it is quite faint, which is my only sadness in this beauty. Overall, it is amazement. I am so glad I took a chance on blind buying this; well worth the risk! I am sure that I will be trying the others in this line!

Katieg
Katieg

Please don't be put off by the 'Initial' lemon/ orange add vibe. This quickly becomes powdery, sophisticated and lasts all day. And catching a whiff all day adds to the feeling of well being. I think it's so lovely. The woods in the dry down seem to go round in a circle and pick up the scent of flowers and bergamot again. Such a big shame it's been discontinued. Seems well made and not skimped like some of the more outrageous over priced juice invented today.

sara.catgggg
sara.catgggg

it's so sensual and sexy... but it's fresh and powdery too... I love it!

Readysniffer1

p.s. if you want to discover the link to Shalimar, wear a little bit of Shalimar in the morning, then refresh with this, and you will be able to make the connection. i actually had to do that to get a handle on this one.

TillyWave
TillyWave

Initially I was very skeptical of this perfume. A flanker of a flanker of a flanker l'eau, please. But I am a sucker for iris perfumes, and in general I still think that Guerlain is great at what they do. So I tried it, and I can say that I love this pink tasseled flanker that has little to do with Queen Shalimar.

There are no ginger notes in here, but the opening is so sparkling with bergamot and grapefruit and neroli that it is just luminous, the notes create this sensation of smelling ice cold, fizzing ginger ale. There is a bit of transient greenery as well. The citrus notes stick around for quite awhile, over the floral heart, I mostly smell hyacinith and a bit of rose and some sweet jasmine. Slowly, slowly the sparkle dies down a bit and things do become more powdery, with iris, vanilla, and tonka bean in the base.

Shalimar PI L'eau is one of those perfumes that I wear and I literally just smell myself all day, I probably look crazy, I find every opportunity to sniff my wrist or the collar of my shirt. The longevity is very good, at least 10 hours it goes strong, and this is one of the few perfumes that I've worn that I've gotten compliments on.

If Guerlain would have just given Shalimar PI and L'Eau their own identities, maybe they wouldn't have discontinued them? It is such a waste, I think that they could have had another L'Instant or Idylle on their hands with this one, instead of already giving up on them. I find both perfumes to be very well done in their own right, and comparing them to the original Shalimar just seems a little weird.

Jerrythecat

I have managed to stock at least 7 bottles of the eau de parfum, and since we are now in summer I thought that maybe something lighter would be suitable for the warm days. I love so much my eau de parfum that I did not want to move away from its beautiful smell. I have tried lots of "eau's" in the past, all of them not lasting more than 2 hours.
This one is an exception and is slightly different from the EDP: head note is bergamot and a floral blast that gives you a good kick on a warm day, particularly after a shower. I can find some resemblance with Escale a Parati by Dior or Obsession Night by Calvin Klein. Middle note is very close to the original Shalimar: powdery, flowery and vanilla but without the leathery sensual note of the original Shalimar (the monarch), which makes it more wearable at the office during warm days. Base note is reminiscent of Parfum Initial as if to tell you that even though it is a bit different, it stays in the family.
Projection, massive after spraying, then more a very present skin scent after a few hours. Longevity close to 6 hours, which is great for an "eau". I liberally reapply at the end of the day just to enjoy its presence even more.
Sadly this baby like the EDP has been discontinued and thank god a few bottles are still available on the intranet. Grab them till you can, because when they're gone, they're gone!

pepperoniann
pepperoniann

So, I don't like the original Shalimar Initial at all. On me that smells like sweet sweat. However I found the L'eau version a very nice soft powdery scent... at the end of the day. Now let me explain: in L'eau the bergamot opens bright and sparkly with the citrusy top notes, and it dries down to the fluffy powdery vanilla base that Guerlain is famous for (and IMO VERY feminine). What I find interesting -- and challenging TBH -- is the transition between these two phases where the floral mid notes appear. All the floral notes amplify the sweetness and add an indistinguishable floral accord that makes Initial L'eau a hot mess momentarily. Thankfully this phase only lasts 30 minutes max on me. Since I do enjoy the opening and dry down very much I rate L'eau as bottle-worthy, but oh do I wish they take away the hyacinth and narcissus!

Longevity and projection are both good (6 hours and 2 feet). I'll enjoy it while my bottle lasts.

Update: been wearing this for the past week and I'm disappointed. The perfume isn't as complicated as it seems at the beginning, and if worn constantly I get bored with it really quickly.

KarlekLila

I got home from work last evening estatic to find that my Fragrancenet order had arrived! I ripped open the box to get my beloved parfum, delighted to find that I could smell the scent even thru the Shalimar box. I love the parent flanker, Shalimar Parfum Initial but had never tried the L'eau version. This stuff is delicious! I'm quite surprised to find that so many Frangranticans are turned off by the strong bergamot top notes that I adore so much. It is strongly reminscent of Earl Grey tea, which I also love. After a few hours the bergamot gives way to a greeness that melds to powdery iris. The vanilla on me is minimal but pleasant. I do wish it lasted a bit longer on my skin, but all in all this is the perfect summer Shalimar for scorching prairie heat. When autumn rolls around I'll happily store it away for the Sh. Parfum Initial's cozy, powdery, caramel sweetness.

Evelyn Orchid
Evelyn Orchid

A flanker of the flanker...but still, I like it quite a lot. It opens with the same heaviness as Parfum Initial, a dense bergamot burst which many people find too much, but while Parum Initial goes deeper and darker and stays deep and dark, L'Eau becomes more playful, its spring version and joyful sister. It settles to a very sophisticated perfume. There is a note(I can't tell which one with certainty) that steps out and plays the main role and that's where it decisively differs from Parfum Initial. Some pointed the unusual citrus-powdery and I'd say smokey opening which is completely true and a very mastery combination too. What's more, it is almost surreal the way Guerlain company treats vanilla. No sweetness at all, I wouldn't probably have noticed it had it not been listed, it is so well-blended that it adds to the richness of the perfume not the sweetness.
I wore L'Eau with a leather jacket and sensing the leather whiffs occasionally with the scent was such a great combination as well, the leather note would make it perfect in my opinion (and probably more similar to the original Shalimar). But what's even more fun is the effect it gives with leather. A very contradictory result. It is not sure whether the person wearing this fragrance is an extremely sexy woman with a playful fragrance or a delicate, fragile girl wearing a leather jacket. The fun part is that you can perform both roles simultaneously and no-one will ever find out which one is true in the end, isn't that great? ;)
All in all, a rich and beautiful scent which demands a person with self-confidence and a keen intellect, sharp-witted to enjoy and pull off all of its antithetical, inconsistent qualities. Both lovely and great.

Readysniffer1

The dry-down is very wearable powder/iris/vanilla, but the top notes are cacophonous and I don't reach for it often because of that. I need to wear it more often, to get the hang of this one. I bought it for this summer, and it's sitting in my dresser, getting no love.

Edit: the bottle is pretty & I think that's why I bought it. This is a bad habit.

Even later: I wore it again, and it's growing on me. My husband thinks it's really pretty.

PurpleMyst
PurpleMyst

My first Shalimar. I bought a sample. I thought I was getting Initial, but I found out that it was this instead.
When I first spray it, I get hit in the nose with a burst of bergamot. But after a while it settles down to a sweet, somewhat powdery iris with a hint of vanilla. There might be a little citrus too, but mostly I just smell the Iris and vanilla.
I really like it, the only thing that keeps me from loving it is the sharp bergamot opening. I do not like strong/sharp citruses. But fortunately for me, in this, it is very short-lived.

shinygreenspark
shinygreenspark

This is a lovely fragrance, and I do like it (not love, yet), but there's some note in here that just reminds me of how a vulva smells. So strange.

Sandra Smells Scents-uous
Sandra Smells Scents-uous

The first blast from INITIAL L'EAU is like nothing I've ever experienced. Initially, the bergamont, citrus and powder explosion is jarring. Citrus and powder? Who ever heard of such a combination? But, while you are pondering the oddity of what you just inhaled, there is an immediately gratifying iris that melds with the powdery facet, pushing the bergamont and citrus to the background. As time passes, this fresh scent begins to step back and make room for a very warm, sensual vanilla and tonka bean blend. This frag is like an ever morphing shape shifter. It is extraordinary in its complexity and ability to surprise. Stunning...and my husband loves it on me too . . . makes him chase me around the house. . . ;)

alvin.tan.wx
alvin.tan.wx

Let me just voice out what a lot of people here are secretly thinking: Can a man wear this fragrance? Can a man wear fragrances marketed as feminine?

Hell yes!

I knew about Shalimar well before trying this flanker. I was intrigued when I read that Shalimar Parfum Initial L'eau had been discontinued, so I went ahead to buy a bottle. And I did not regret doing that.

A lot of people here are saying that this (or Shalimar Parfum Intial - also discontinued) is nothing like Shalimar. I think they are both right and wrong. There are obviously different perfumes, but Wasser has kept the structure of Shalimar intact. An overdosed bergamot top, a floral-woody heart (iris), and a tonka-vanille base that reminds me again and again, that this is a Guerlain. There is no skank, no leather, no smoke in this piece, and this is going to appeal to you if you've always loved the idea of Shalimar but hated the civet in it.

The opening is a blast of bergamot and other citrus notes that can be a bit rough. Once the bergamot settles down, the powdery iris starts to appear, reminding me strangely of Dior Homme. Heat activates the tonka bean and vanilla base, giving this perfume such sensuality. Being a Guerlain, the vanilla is not an edible one, but a very sensual one. The bergamot continues offers a bitter and astringent contrast to the sweet tonka and powdery iris, giving it a bright, sunny color, while the vanilla keeps the astringency of the bergamot in check and affords it depth and sensuality. This is a very balanced composition that demonstrates the skill of Thierry Wasser.

This fragrance projects well. Longevity is excellent, easily lasting an entire day. Suggested wearing is spring and even summer - as long as it doesn't get too hot. Use it for an instant lift to your spirits. Unfortunately, this fragrance has been discontinued, likely due to poor sales. So do yourself a favour, go to your nearest department store, and if you see it, smell it, and then buy it.

KarlekLila

@ Shoshi: Parfum Initial L'eau & L'eau Si Sensuelle are in fact the same fragrance despite the differences in name and packaging.

"In a few cases, trademark expiration issues are the reason for renaming fragrances. An interesting observation is that people at this point seem to perceive the scent differently. When the name or bottle has been changed, Guerlain reports that many customers refuse to acknowledge that the scent is the same as it was before. Some examples of renamed fragrance editions are Shalimar Black Mystery (contains Shalimar Parfum and EdP), Shalimar Fourreau du Soir (contains Shalimar EdP), ...Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau Si Sensuelle (contains Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau), etc..."

(Taken from monsieur-guerlain.com article on "bottles").

JaiTee
JaiTee

Initial L'eau opens in a similar manner to Parfum Initial, but once the bergamot top notes dissipate, this morphs into a sweet vanilla, with a touch of powdery iris. Some days, the iris is stronger on my skin, but today, Initial L'eau is a very sweet scent, with whiffs of citrus. This perfume is a strong one -- just two spritzes will be strong enough to last most of the day. I view this as more in the vein of Coco Mademoiselle, especially on days like today.

LizzieDee
LizzieDee

I don't get the citrus at all when I spray this. I find it quite close to the original Shalimar, but while my skin does horrible things to the original, I can wear this version. On my skin the original Shalimar rapidly becomes a crude blast of synthetic smelling vanilla, whereas this preserves its complexity and isn't as sweet as the list of ingredients would suggest.

Shoshi
Shoshi

Curious: is this the same fragrance as Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau Si Sensuelle? Just in a different bottle/box? Any information much appreciated.

melttee
melttee

I disliked this when I first tried it. I gave it another shot and found that the fragrance settles after a moment and that's when I enjoy it more. :)

aym
aym

I had been waiting to test this for so long. I finally tried it at Nordstrom this afternoon and for me it is just ok. I had such high hopes but for me the neroli just ruins it. Oh well on to the next one.

Molko

Hm, I don't feel any sweetness just raw bergamot with soft incense powder, classic, fresh compositon, I find too feminine for my style and taste, I like better the regular Shalimar

Juliana6
Juliana6

The first time I sprayed it on my wrist, it made me sneeze - the same strong, natural citrus aroma you can feel when you are peeling a big, juicy orange or grapefruit, just mixed with some rich spices. When this calmed down, a beautiful, aromatic, dark vanilla comes in wearing a long, wonderful creamy silk evening dress with a long trail. The dress is made of tamed citrus scents (fresh and slightly bitter nuances), fluffy, rose powder, sophisticated and quite strong iris petals and light jasmine+hyacinth veil. The base is warm, sensual, calm and spicy (and maybe those spices are kept for a short time in some aromatic alcohol) in the same time. I imagine this could be a Lady's boudoir scent -powdery, adult, distinguished and noble. Wonderful on me!
If we compare this to Shalimar Parfum Initial, this is more transparent, the opening is fresher, so the whole perfume is more sparkling, more wearable (even for the people who don't like Shalimar at all this could do some magic). Of course, the regular Shalimar is still there, but in a bit tamed, socialized, alive version.

SeleneHdez
SeleneHdez

Organizando mis perfumes me encontré una muestra que deje por ahí olvidada; hoy me la puse y es una hermosura, muy cálido, detecto iris y un toque cítrico al inicio, al secar sale más la vainilla y un poquitín de iris con el toque cítrico, la siento como aceite para bebe, pero la verdad, ¡me encantó!

He leído en muchos sitios que salio después la versión Si sensuelle y que realmente es lo mismo que esta versión con otro nombre y bote, la versión si sensuelle se consigue muy barata, creo le apostaré a comprarla.

judiness
judiness

This a very strong perfume. I got a sample of it and I truly dislike it.

It's very strong, sweet and powdery. The citrus are completely gone at the dry down and all that is left is this overly sweet, musky and powdery smell.

I also left my skin very irritated.

bushonka

One of the most beautiful Iris that i've tried. Sweet and intoxicating... at the same time fresh and uplifting. Very French ,very classy and elegant. I just got the 100ml and already plan to get my self a few backups.
Must try this one because I heard coments that this is going to be disappeared from the shelves.
Funny, how I always fall in love with perfumes that are either discontinued or limited editions. :( Is my personal preference so bad...? I don't know. All I know right now - this is my current Love...

lyciumchld
lyciumchld

Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau opens with a citrus blast that I'm not terribly crazy for, but the drydown is lush, soft, powdery, and incredibly feminine. I absolutely adore it. In fact, I had wondered why, when I finally got my hands on a bottle of Parfum Initial, it hadn't smelled like it had from the tester bottle. Don't get me wrong, PI is lovely; but it was not the same thing I had wandered around sniffing that day with my nose practically glued to my wrist. Now I know why: THIS is the glorious, powdery softness I had smelled! I'm in love.

Silage is good for an EDT, not too strong, but not a skin scent. Longevity is comparable to PI EDP, if not better. The opening citrus notes seem to last longer on clothing that they do on skin, so keep this in mind when applying.

It's interesting to note, as an aside, that to my nose the drydown of L'Eau is very reminiscent of a cleaner, lighter, more ethereal version of Angel. They're not the same by any means, but that same sweet, piquant, vanillic character is there.

Lana148
Lana148

Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau is my favorite version of Shalimar because of very fresh feeling to it - thanks to citrus added.

Initial L'Eau is so modern and still Victorian at the same time. It associates to me with a lace - it has the same harmonious, beautifully proportional structure. It has this vintage charm and nostalgia to it, but very wearable. This is super feminine but proper.

I feel so lady like and a bit aristocratic wearing it.

Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau is lovely, simply lovely!

auroramaria
auroramaria

I love ShalimarPI but during Italian summertime I can't wear it as it gets cloying so I got a bottle of l'Eau and I'm very happy wearing it, it is really quite similar to SPI EDP only this is lighter and crispier due to the opening which is mostly citrus.
It dries down smooth and creamy with iris and vanilla and it's just really beautiful.
This is perfect for summertime and it makes me feel confident and cheerful

astamm62
astamm62

The original Shalimar is nice, but I think this so much nicer. It's a soft pretty scent. It smells to me a little like the fragrance Comedie by Michael Klein. My husband even wanted to know what perfume I was wearing. And that's rare!

Jenge
Jenge

This one is such a mystery, I can't decide how I feel about it! It starts really bright & fresh with citrusy iris. Then the tonka comes on really strong for me for awhile but then the top & middle blend for a really interesting mix. This scent has so many contradictions for me!

Warm/Cool
Feminine/Masculine
Spicy/Fresh
Gourmandy/Dry Floral

Kind of a sour, tonka iris powder that's not quite like anything else. (Except Shalimar PI, of course!) I find this stronger than PI, and like it a little better too, for the citrus that brightens it up.

Definite unisex, I think. Just don't know if it's full bottle worthy for me.

dioraddictfan
dioraddictfan

Very similar to Parfum Initial, but more iris, and it seems more powdery. I like it.

bebekesasar
bebekesasar

@schamberae you are Indonesian, aren't you? Well as an Indonesian, I'm completely aware that there have been many fake products floating around under the term "original reject". Most of time, they are fake, and very easy to identify by lack of box, scratches and imperfections, and the typical velvet pouch. The bottles are original because they are from used bottles, but the juice is fake and very likely to be oily. The conclusion has always been the same; stay away from rejects. There are no Chanel, Dior, or Mugler for merely $25 (approx. IDR300K)

schamberae
schamberae

I just got my PI L'eau from my online seller. it's original but rejected. it shows same bottle like in the guerlain official web page. NO l'eau word on the bottle, but written on the sticker below the bottle. I bought for only $18. This is Coffe Toffee Vanilla all over from beginning to the end. with only tiny amount of flowery notes. if you like Miss DIor Cherrie, Chanel Chance, JPG Classique then you deffinitely would love this. same family. warm ambery vanila, kinda Mademoiselle fragrance, not overpowering, polite and high class.

donimili
donimili

Long story short, i hated it, then it came to me as a present. After some time i can say i looove it, now. At first it smelled like dirty feet, but now that is gone. Well when i'm wrong i am really wrong.
It must have been this citrus combination that reminded me of dirt. Now it is my favorite part :) It doesn't last that long, at first it seemed like it will last forever. I'm sort of sad that it doesn't. After that it turns in wonderful creamy vanilla.
I fell madly in love with this little horror.
To my nose (that, now i know, doesn't work well) it goes: citruses (bergamot-lemon), iris and vanilla. These flowers in the middle i do not get (but, i'm no expert :))
If you do not like it on paper, spray it on your skin anyway. It changes incredibly, and you might end up liking it.
(This and Shalimar Parfum Initial were on my dislike list. I removed not only l'eau but also Parfum. You know, just in case... ;) )

Lillitth
Lillitth

Well this was a disappointment. It started with a big blast of unpleasant iris. At least that dissipated quickly but all that was left was the scent of Johnson's Baby Powder and vanilla. My husband's reaction was "Not a fan". I have to agree with him.

cbishton
cbishton

I just spent $70 on several tiny samples, omg, did I just do that? but here my journey starts. . . I expected something totally different with my first experience of a Shalimar perfume. I've read so much about Shalimar and the original fragrance shares so many traits of other perfumes I love, but I could only find two versions of Initial. The first spray was a rather rude blast of something very unpleasant. Fortunately, within seconds that disappeared. It is still early but, on me, this is pure Johnson's Baby Powder with vanilla. ZERO citrus. I can't even begin to imagine what people are talking about as there are no fruits, no florals here, not on my skin. It is 65% powder and 35% vanilla. So far, I am immensely disappointed. I was expecting fresh and complex. I hate the "old lady" comments, and at 47, I am a mature woman myself, but this is a granny scent to me. It smells so common. Too bad!

gomt
gomt

Somewhat dry and bitter at first, Parfum Initial L'eau dries down rather delightfully to a cozy, powdery fragrance. After the sharp beginning, it turns soft and feminine, yet neither sweet nor warm - just... subtle and chic, in its special way, which makes it rather universal season-wise. It took me some getting used to, but after the third or fourth wear, this perfume grew on me. Now I can't get enough.

It stays close to the skin, lasts long.

VintageViolet_
VintageViolet_

I MUCH prefer the Parum Initial to this one. L'eau is far to sharp and lacks the softness and class of PI.

Casaria
Casaria

I was really looking forward to smelling the tester i received after reading so many great reviews .. huge let down .. very powdery vanilla ..at one point it smelt like smelly socks .. no citrus for me and overall really ordinary so i am glad i did not buy a bottle.

bsmith2408

Okay so, I finally got my perfume today. I was expecting it to be citrus but on me it actually smells like baby powder. Not a bad smell but when I wear do wear it I will probably just spray once on my wrist so it's not too overwhelming.

Molko

Finally not a simply fruity and floral feminine fragrance. Initial l'eau is very fresh and raw bergamot smell at first, later the warmer and powdery notes come forward. I miss a hint of sweet (or much more) notes like chocolate or cacao like Dior Homme. This scent is rather classic than young and modern.
So clean, fresh, soapy, powdery and innocent, but confident and raw at the same time. It can cause headache sometimes.
My problem with this fragrance that doesn't radiate much, I feel on me, but the others don't. Longevity is quite good.
It can be wear in all season.
smell: 8/10
sillage: 7/10
longevity: 9/10

SweetTxGal
SweetTxGal

Don't just sniff the bottle and run! Most Guerlain fragrances need skin and body warmth to develop properly. Soft, powdery iris; sublime vanilla; citrusy without being sharp. This is a touch fresher and lighter (without losing longevity or sillage) than Parfum Initial. I love them both, and will wear Parfum Initial L'eau when the weather warms up.

Both Parfum Initial and Initial L'eau will get you compliments -- they are delicious!

bsmith2408

I just ordered this and I'm so excited I can't wait to try it out so I can leave an official review.
It was a total blind buy based on all the reviews I read but I think I'm going to love it since I have a weakness for citrus scents.

Marie76
Marie76

Very nice, cozy warm down, that reminds me of the sublime vanilla of the original shalimar, but in a subdued and powdery way. However , the opening is pure aniseed on me and I dislike that note.

crescentsho
crescentsho

Similar to Shalimar PI. I got more lemony opening and less depth. Don't need to buy PI and this one.almost the same. Choose Shalimar PI instead

HelenFlowerz
HelenFlowerz

Firstly it was very citrusy, but after 5 minutes it became very soft, powdery and beautiful. Amazing, how the perfume changes. Definitely for the hot sunny days! Citrus splash and light sweetness after. I love it!

flashrainbow
flashrainbow

Just got a bottle of this beauty. Blind buy and no regret. Opens with citrus (or bergamot?) and wood to my nose. It's quite strong at the very beginning then it calms to powdery-flowery and comforting scent. It is classy, spicy yet fresh and mood-booster kinda scent. Ok for day and night. I feel like a mademoiselle in a lil bright summer dress holding hands-walking down the street with a good looking guy as my best accessory. Not sexy nor sultry scent but somehow warm and sensual.. Reminds me of Gloria Gaynor's song "when you're walking down the street, show your feminine appeal. Eventho you're wearing jeans it's important to be real. You were born to be yourself, so no matter how you feel..If you want to impress the opposite sex"..spritz Shalimar Initial L'eau.

qatarkind
qatarkind

it's a citrus sharp powdery fragrance. UNISEX perfume.

MonaThorbourne
MonaThorbourne

Received a mini sample from Shoppers Drug Mart. It's much stronger than I thought it would be. And I like it much more than I thought I would. This may be going on my "want" list.

ivyheel
ivyheel

For someone who loves powdery notes, this is a treasure. I purchased it blind based on reviews as I was looking for a very powdery fragrance (it seems to be my favorite "note" in perfumes these days). This did not disappoint, so thanks everyone!

The scent itself if quite linear and simple, other than the opening notes. The first minute or so smells exactly like lipstick to me! Then, the scent becomes a very warm body powder with citrus (but no sourness here) and a mild serving of vanilla. Very very pretty. It goes without saying that the bottle is a work of art. A display piece, really. Final verdict: another Guerlain to love!

sherien
sherien

Have been trying this and comparing it to initial several times.. I sprayed both on each arm more than 6 times to be sure.. and Yes, I bought Leau.. why.. it stays on my skin much much much longer than initial, both have the EXACT dry down on my skin, but initial disappeared in less than 30 minutes, and l'eau was still there after more than 5 hours.. fair enough.. My heart was longing more for Initial for the sweet caramel opening, but it disappears and settles exactly as L'eau.. maybe it's my skin chemistry but I really tested these 2 a lot to be sure!

Update: Just received it, tried it on my arms and neck.. God it's sweet spicy, that's how a mature woman should smell like.. happy wz my purchase

Henriette
Henriette

I am not a fan of flankers at all.
I am an old time fan of Shalimar instead.
With that in mind why did I try Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau?
If Shalimar is all you ask to life, why the need of trying this one? Certainly NOT to have a (watered, lightened, sweetened, brightened, whatever) version of the true, unique, real Shalimar.
That would be an insult, especially if you like, love, adore the Original.
Disposition of mind is crucial here.
What moved me to try and eventually buy this one is that no matter what, it is lovely. The opening citrus is beautiful, and you feel at once that behind the citrus there's more to come. It's as if citrus were sent to stage to make the opening and behind the curtains the remaining actors were peeping to see how their mate is welcomed.
Vanilla, iris, flowers, spices all make their appearance on stage, tiptoeing one after the other, after citrus, introduction completed, retired backstage.
Lasting power is not phenomenal, projection is fine and I love it on warm summer evenings and even on crisp autumn days.
Supposed that you have forgotten about Shalimar and do not even try a faint attempt to have its presence on your skin while wearing this one.

SweetDesire
SweetDesire

Three words: Johnson's Baby Powder.I'm definitely missing something here. That being said I have no other Shalimar variations to test it against. I won't be buying this one though.

Lavallectra
Lavallectra

I tried this perfume a few times over the last week, I really wanted to find what reviews here were talking about. But it's just not compatible with my skin.
On first sniff it smells like glue, heavy and vaporous. That was followed by overwhelming citrus, and the drydown for the next 6 hours or so smells stale and wrong, like a shabby vintage jacket in a dusty second hand store with its pockets filled with mothballs.
Those are my thoughts, and now... let the thumbs down on my post commence.

Julie Billi
Julie Billi

Mysterious, oriental but at the same time fresh fragrance even for younger ladies & the ones who love intense & long sillage in their perfumes...
It will be my choice for Spring & Summer next year !

bookishbeauty
bookishbeauty

Though this is an eau, this is no watery, weak scent...it's still strong and long-lasting. It opens with a strong burst of bergamot and grapefruit, very crisp and juicy. After about 10-15 minutes, the floral notes come in and then slip seamlessly into the vanilla/tonka drydown. It gets to the drydown fairly quickly, but oh how heavenly it is when it gets there! I have worn this very often this summer, in the evenings to different fun events--both dressed up and dressed down. Very versatile and a great complement to Shalimar Parfum Initial. This one for spring and summer, the other for the fall and winter.

Nessy
Nessy

Lovely and young(but not too girly) perfume, maybe this will be my signature. This scent represents me so well, gives me so special aura. I love the top notes, I feel a hint of galbanum in there, which is my favorite.
The heart of the perfume is the iris, the sign of House Guerlain. Sweet and powdery but refreshing all day, thanks to bergamot. My heart belongs to Guerlain, I think it's a beautiful tribute to Shalimar.
The bottle is a true eye candy, but I keep it in a box, as my all other scents.

Germany
Germany

This is a beautiful perfume. I should wear it more often. It has a bright citrusy opening and a heavenly sweety vanilla dry down. The tonka bean gives this a almond facet. I love it!!! I will start wearing it alot again. It's beautiful in the summer as in winter. It's just right if shalimar initial is too much for you then go with this one. It's easy to wear. Classy but playful and young!

xrayer
xrayer

Gorgeous lighter and silkier version of Shalimar, I just love it. Something you would wear with your sexiest negligee.

lisaivette
lisaivette

The opening of this perfume was truly tart enough to make my mouth water, which nearly made me scrub it off. So glad I didn't. Once the citrus took a back seat I could enjoy the the powdery iris and vanilla. Though I am on the fence about whether I would ever purchase a full bottle, I would not mind being in the same room with someone wearing this version.

the_blue_cat
the_blue_cat

This one is more diluted, more citrussy and a tad more bitter than Shalimar Parfum Initial. I do prefer the latter though. I find that the L'Eau version hasn't got the depth that Parfum Initial has. It's more "flat" and also, on my skin, a bit bitter.

Catt
Catt

This is the first Guerlain that I've learnt to love, and I must say that I like it better and better as I continue using it. My only regret is that I should've been bolder and gone with the Shalimar Parfum Initial instead of the L'eau.

L'eau does not last on me- maximum 1 hour if I do one spray on each wrist, and perhaps 4 hours if I do 6 sprays all over myself and the clothes I wear.

I shied away from the Parfum version as there was a hint of something 'off' and ammonia-like in the top notes on my skin, and it was more powdery (powdery as in the leftover salty smell of talcum after a few hours)than anything I was used to.

However, after a few days of using L'eau, I have a craving for a stronger, balmier version of this. I don't like the smell of vanilla, but I actually am able to accept and even develop a strong liking for L'eau's creamy vanilla during its drydown. I am not a fan of the initial opening in L'eau, but the blast of citrus makes it less 'classic' and more 'modern'. My shopping buddies do not like the original Shalimar as they say it smells "old-lady" and "mature", but are able to accept Shalimar Initial L'eau as it smells "younger". I interpretate that as old-lady= classic and young=current.

The dry-down smell of it is almost gourmand in nature- it makes me think of those vanilla butter cakes that are so popular here during one-month old baby birthday celebrations.

Sillage-wise, it extends about an arm's-length. It could be my skin chemistry but after 2 hours I feel that I'm the only one who can smell it, and only if I bury my nose in my wrist. In tropical weather, this is probably heavy enough, as if one was wearing a light scarf.

millie1980
millie1980

For a summer 'l'eau' style of perfume, this is actually quite potent and would easily suit other seasons. The fragrance does develop and change on the skin, but the main notes are iris and neroli wrapped in a mist of powdery vanilla. I am actually not a vanilla fan at all, but here it is restrained and the citrus cuts through. It has a balanced sweetness.

It is really very classy, and if it is aimed at younger women, they must surely be elegant for their age.

I also finally own a Guerlain :-)

michelle.p.stpierre
michelle.p.stpierre

This has more citrus notes in the opening with the addition of grapefruit and the green note in Shalimar Initial is replaced by neroli in this one. The overall effect makes this lighter and fresher in the opening and therefore more suitable for warmer weather. Same goes for the middle notes where vetiver and patchouli are replaced by hyacinth, muguet de bois (lily of the valley), and freesia. Iris is still dominate here so it is still powdery, but not as powdery as Shalimar Initial. There is no mistaking that this isn't Shalimar Initial. It still smells like Shalimar Initial only lighter. At times, the rose and the lily of the valley are noticeable on me. In the base notes, the musk and caramel were taken out leaving the vanilla and tonka bean. It's still smells very much of the vanilla, but not as sweet so not to become cloying when out in the heat.

For me, this is like replacing cashmere that is Shalimar Initial with silk that is the essence of Shalimar Initial L'eau and summer. Perfect!

EDIT: This is what the body lotion smells like. Layering the two does make it last longer on your skin.

varykino
varykino

It distresses me that the Shalimar citrus notes hate me so. In every version I have tried — the original, PI and PI L'Eau — the start is sharp, medicinal, sour on my skin, somehow made worse by the vanilla lurking under it which seems stale and cloying by contrast. I adore smelling original Shalimar on others, but it's nothing short of repulsive on me, and while Shalimar PI is better, it's too heavy on the patchouli (my kryptonite).

I don't know if it's worse or better (maddeningly hope-inducing, for sure) that L'Eau actually does, after an hour or so, transform into that exquisite vanilla I've been yearning for. With glorious, powdery iris! I keep coming back for a spritz or two, stoically enduring the first hour, wondering if perhaps the start is a little bit more bearable this time. And then the wafts of fluffy, vanilla-iris heaven start, and all is forgiven as I sit with my nose glued to my arm. As long as there's a drop left in my decant, I haven't given up on this one yet.

Vixie
Vixie

I was very brave and purchased this semi-blindly, having tested it once, not having been too impressed, but I just love the bottle, and read the great reviews here that convinced me it was something I would like, even though I tend to steer clear of citrus. And I really like it.

Initially it is reminiscent of my beloved Chanel No 5 Voile, a pink concoction that came out all too briefly and disappeared, never to be heard of again. It settles to powdery floral, but is not heady. Though it has hints of being a flower garden, it is in fact much more subtle. The citrus and vanilla are not strong and overpowering, but are complimented appreciably by the more dominant rose and tonka bean. After it dries, the lily of the valley is noticeable.

This is such a comfortably, beautifully soft perfume, and one of the few florals that I am able to wear that does not turn acidic in smell - I am so glad to have found it. It is a deeper fragrance than it might seem, and lasts a good long while. The balance works very well and is a fitting modern Geurlain, identifying itself firmly with its predecessors, while soaring serenely among the notes and bouquets of the now.

mudpach
mudpach

What a lovely scent! It has been long time in my wishlist, and now I got a bottle. First of all I respect the grand Shalimar, but I can't wear it every days, and Shalimar Parfum Initial is a great modern interpretation of the historical Shalimar perfume. Still the reason why I love Initial L'Eau better is that this scent is lighter, fresher so that preserves the great ancestor's every miracles and powers. Perfect for springtime!

dream
dream

When I tried it few hours ago, in the first sniff I didn't like it at all, I smelled anise which I really hate, but by hours it turned to a very pleasant scent, to something so powdery and clean, the smell is refreshing, and by the way it's still changing and it's getting better and better :) most of votes are for day but I recommend it in night too

monamonib
monamonib

ialready have shalimar the old one the original then ismelt shalimar initial and ifound it after dry down close to normal shalimar so iwas hesitate to bye same original but litte lighter then the the man sprayed l eau on my hand and said do not judge it now wait so idid nt buy anything and went home then istart feel initial l eau blooming on my hand it is very bowdery iris in the same time it has the young spirit of shalimar and i think it is close to chanel no 19 pouder for me it is my favourite and last about four hours sillage is moderate
EDIT for sorrow after ibought it and back home ifound that its powdwe very thick that icould not pear it that iwant vomit so ire back to the shop this is powdery bomb and do not let its colour pink make u feel its light big no for ur information iam awomen who likes shalimar opium youth dew not freshly light perfume thanks hope that will help in ur desigion

Actress80
Actress80

I just received Shalimar Initial L'eau today and I just love it! I have been looking for a fragrance to replace Ellen Tracy for years and I believe I found it.
I mostly smell powdery Iris and Tonka bean, but this smells expensive. Wearing this makes me feel like a million bucks. Staying power is pretty good.
The original SI is too strong and for the first few hours smells a bit like medicine on me, so I am really happy that I was able to find a bottle of l'eau on Scentedmonkey, since it's not avaialable in stores.
This is not your typical generic sweet fragrance which smells like strawberries and candy. A woman who wears this perfume has good taste and is a warm, charming lady.

alanood
alanood

I injoied this one very much . very pawdry and spicy and so classy. staing power and sillage are perfect for an ET . I prefer this one over the EP ,and yes definitely they smell defrent

SopurePoison
SopurePoison

I love this scent. When I first spritzed the eau de parfum on me in the store I wasn't that impressed, the citrus topnotes were a bit too overwhelming, but at home I kept smelling my arm. So the next time when I was in a perfumery I tried the l'eau and immediately fell in love! I love the creme brulee like vanilla in the base and Oh lala all the other lovely flowers! It is a gorgeous fragrance! And the bottle is very pretty as well!

melange
melange

Captivated as I was by Shalimar Parfum Initial, I made the decision to buy a 60 ml bottle. I found the best deal and... got me a sample of l'Eau. I must have had a hunch.

To wax artistic, Shalimar Parfum Initial is a fascinating fragrance, but it makes me feel inadequate. It's someone else's perfume, not mine, and evokes - in me, at least - associations with modern noir. It belongs to someone with more poise, more presence - I know I lack none of this qualities, mind you, and I wouldn't mind having a bottle, but it still feels like stealing from someone else's dresser.

L'Eau is a girl-next-door version of Shalimar Parfum Initial, Effie Perrine to Initial's Brigid O'Shaughnessy: more approachable, instantly relatable, good-natured, sparkingly alive. Vanilla base won me in an instant, and even though I rarely appreciate florals, I love its glittering, multi-dimensional floral heart.

Lanlisa
Lanlisa

Shalimar original seemed strong and old fashioned to me, however after seeing Katie Puckriks review I went back to the dept store to try it again. Still skeptical, I tried Shalimar Initial on my wrists. My sons complained it was strong but I hung in there. Finally, the spritz on my wrists dried down to the most beautiful creamy powdery scent. I purchased a large bottle and I apply a mist to the air and walk through it. It's gorgeous! When I'm alone I apply more and on my wrists because I can't get enough. I have the original Shalimar in a lotion that I love but my husband nearly convulses and swears he gets an instant migraine! I will wear it for myself when he's off to work!

ttrappe
ttrappe

I think this is a very complex perfume. I am not an expert but it seems to change by the hour. It's very strong when you first put it on then, within ten minutes it's very different. I read a review on Sephora about the user smelling her arm every five minutes and I feel the same way. I think it is very feminine, it makes me feel wonderful. I'll have to get better at reviewing but I do honestly love this one. I am in a cold part of the US and it reminds me of spring, babies and warmth...

atiet97
atiet97

First, don't even try to compare it to the original Shalimar! Coz, of course it's not comparable. If Shalimar Initial is her daughter, SHIL would be her grand daughter. They are in different age, have different interests and surely different blends. In short it's a lighter and daytime version of Shalimar Initial.

Secondly, if you’re into teeny, bubbly, sweet, youth perfume, PLEASE don’t even try this. SHIL would only break your heart and instead of giving a fruitfully review or critics you would end up trashing this beauty. Well, here we go…

I surrendered and downed on my knee from the initial spray….captivated from the beginning. The citrus is sparkly and blends nicely with the powdery iris + burnt vanilla combo which came out heavenly. I'm not sure if I'm able to differentiate all the floral notes that are stated here, but there are hints of jasmine or rose. I don't detect any lily of the valley and I can't vouch for freesia, since I haven't smelled any of them so far.

I feel that the top and the mid were woven tightly, creating a solid lingering blends that couldn't be separated. They are one in two different beings. This top-mid phase stays for like 1-3 hours. The dry down is balmy, slightly bitter-sweet, very earthy and smokey, almost smells like the wet and damp dirt. Could that be the tonka bean + iris root + vanilla?? Probably.

As the descendent of Shalimar I'm expecting longer longevity, SHIL loves my skin for only 4 hours max. The sillage is powerful in the first 5-10 minutes and calmer afterward. I can’t wear the original Shalimar, but SHIL….I would guard this for the rest of my life!!

vanilla-lovers
vanilla-lovers

i think i've put too much expectation on this, since i've read so many good review.

luckily, i got the 5ml decant first.. because i dont like it AT ALL.

the first time i tried it, i thought my nose mistaken me, it's smell like Air Conditioner. The next morning i tried it again and i got the same blah ..

totally not recommended if you don't like tonka bean, or tonka bean with citrus. Blah.

ChloeYellow
ChloeYellow

Opening by something fresh ... seem bright and cheerful ....
Then slowly becoming more sensual ... Impressed warm and soft ...
And yes, I like it!

luludemoiselle
luludemoiselle

I suddenly found out this is similar to Angel EDT. SO I made a test. I had Shalimar Initial L'eau on my right wrist and Angel EDT on my left. Yes, they DO smell similar. Sweet and Spicy. L'eau is fresher with a bit salty on my skin. Angel EDT is sweeter and stronger. IMO Angel EDT projests better and lasts longer. At first, I found L'eau very sensual with the spicy vanilla note. BUt after a while, it turned out boring. That's how frangrances nowaday are like?

caramellomacchiato
caramellomacchiato

if u are still hesitant about do not know to buy L'Eau or Initial,hope those could help u a bit~~
L'Eau is fresh with citrus note;
Initial is mellow with Caramel note!
Initial is mellow and richer ,L'Eau is lighter and fresher IMO~~

both of L'Eau & Initial (their foxy smell)could be recognized those two are daughters of mama Shalimar~~
lasting power of L'Eau is nearly as well as Initial(both are good enough;especially Initial,on clothing fabric could keep even weeks)
PS.
the one I have is Initial not L'Eau instead ;
but if I no need to care about my financial,I would love to have both~

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

When I spray this scent on paper it smells nice, with the Shalimar signature and it holds lots of promise. But on my skin, this scent comes on strong initially with lots of aldehydes and a "look at me" iris note. It finally settles down to a faint spicy powdery scent on my skin with something a bit sour in the background. This fragrance just does not work with my body chemistry, which is sad because it sounds so gorgeous when other people describe how it smells on them. Oh well.... I still have original Shalimar!

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Some people Stateside have asked me to check out the Shalimar Inital L'eau, which I believe is not yet widely available there.

It's been suggested that this is brighter, more aromatic and in the opening at least much sharper and as a consequence it gains assertiveness, all of which is true in comparison with the Parfum Initial (I don't think comparisons with original Shalimar are particularly useful).

The dry down is satisfying but the major difference is much less sweetness, no benzoin (I didn't detect much before: though hell I was wearing Tabu the other day so that's probably made me immune) and not really much caramel.

The effect is of a healthier - there's much more citrus and bergamot - and leaner affair. More frozen yogurt at the hip deli than calorie festival at the formica and chrome grand old ice cream parlour. That's not a criticism, just an observation - this is a more restrained and I might say mature affair, and whilst the Iris is still very much to the fore, the floral effect is contained within an orange and lemon grove. I detect more powder coming through in the later stages, which I enjoyed but might not be to every taste.

In brief the Parfum Initial is the more luscious and indulgent affair and will appeal to all, the L'eau is more complex, adult and aromatic but may seem like short changing to those who love the first fragrances generous sweetness.

To the many of you who don't know me, I'm a guy all at sea on the ocean of female fragrance - if there's any you think I should try then add the to my list at the thread 'what made for women fragrances can or should a man wear?'. All advice gratefully received.

Blimunda
Blimunda

The main difference between this perfume and Shalimar Initial is that L'eau version is stronger, you wouldn't believe that, I know!

Practically, if you eliminate patchouli notes and add fresh citrus blast, mainly bergamont, as well as cold iris and a bit sharp hyacinth accords on the strong vanilla base, you get Shalimar Initial L'Eau.

It is sweeter, thicker, stronger and has better both lasting power and aura. I hardly believe, but I prefer this one to Initial!

MontrealGirl
MontrealGirl

A perfume where the expression "the whole is greater than the sum" applies. I loved how the soft, floral smells, the vanilla and the citrus did not overpower each other but mixed to create something elegant from beginning to end. The scents just FLOWED into each other perfectly.

I was also happy that, unlike so many new releases, this was does not have the candy smell.

this is almost Parfum initial,just add up some citrus and voila!it's parfum initial l'eau.
actually I enjoyed the zesty smelling of citruse mixed with vanilla and woody notes.as a L'eau version of a perfume long lasting power and sillage are considerable.what I like about it is that it's wearable both for young girls and elder ladies;not childish,but not old-fashioned either.
I'm not a die fan of shalimar new versions,but this re-edition is better than the other ones I've already tried.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

I like this a lot. Couldn't decide initially which one I liked more - the EDP or L'eau? Well, this one is drier in the beginning, still woody and has nice powdery vanilla dry-down on me. Very nice, less dramatic and more predictable that the EDP, but still very good.

Jasminalia
Jasminalia

The next one will probably be : Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau Intense, or : Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Elixir.
Or just : Shalimar Parfum Initial The Flanker

nesca1502
nesca1502

My mom bought this today for my sister in law and I fell in love with it! I don't like the original Shalimar much with my skin chemistry, but this is perfect for me, I love how it starts smelling really young with the light and citric top notes, and how it transforms into a sensual vanilla smell in the dry down.
I don't think this is in any way somewhat "disrespectful" to the original Shalimar as some of the other reviewers had hint at, I really love that they took a classic and reinvented it, it is for an elegant woman in her middle 30's, confident on herself and it's perfect for day or night wear. It will definitely be my second buy from Guerlain this year, after La Petite Robe Noire.

moynah
moynah

IMHO, the original Shalimar reminds me of my grandmothers lingerie drawer - the scent that is a mix of oldy-worldy jasmine, lily of the valley or some lavender poof scent bags, coupled with blocks of powdery crumbling soap bars circa 1969, stuck in an old oak drawer, that squeaks and jams when opened.

So.. I didn't have much hope for this. How surprised I was.. not like original at all. Brought bang up to date. All I can say that drawer of old panties, with 'gone' elastic needs to be locked & trashed! Say hello to a new drawer, full of delicate french lace, silk & satin. So fresh! yet still powdery, still has a 'connection' of sorts to original, but a great alternative that kicks grans stuffy old ass into orbit.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I think it's important to try and dissociate this perfume from the original Shalimar and its large family of flankers to really appreciate it. Let's stop calling it a diluted version of THE Shalimar or a pathetic attempt at making more money from the younger masses. I do not believe L'Eau to be a young girl's scent, bien au contraire. It is mature and accomplished. Seductive and intelligent.

Taken alone, this is a beautiful dry, ambery iris/jasmin/muguet fragrance, soft and feminine without overplaying the floral. The powder note here is beautiful and does not smell of "baby powder" like so many other Iris based perfumes. (Read Shalimar parfum initial)

After an hour, I can smell the more "shy" flowers blooming from the heart. Neroli, Freesia, Hyacinth, and yes, Rose. The rose here is very shy indeed!

Unlike many others, I do smell the jasmine and muguet quite strongly a few minutes into the opening, after the first iris blast.

another half hour and YUM! Iris/vanilla galore!

Anybody disappointed with this perfume, feel free to contact me. I have nice things to swap for it.

LaPetite
LaPetite

Ok , this is a flanker of a flanker , but i like it a lot better than the original "initial" .
The same thing happened to me with "Shalimar" and "Eau de Shalimar" , the original is way "too much" for me , too heavy etc ..., but this lighter version is just fine .
Can really be an alternative of "initial" if you have a sensitive nose.

yacoco
yacoco

amazing
way i see dislike also my girl didnt like it
i think becuse its kind of powdery

for me its amazing scent
remind me of dior homme its love from the first sniff 9/10 anyway i need to try it more
it could be unisex

worth to try it and buy

delilahcat
delilahcat

I bought this fragrance for a friend for her birthday and she abslolutely loved it! Its warm and spicy but light and fresh and floral at the same time! Such a lovely composition that all the notes just flow together to create a great fragrance that will suit most people whilst still being special. Its so good im starting to wonder if i should have kept this one for myself!

Hippyhop2
Hippyhop2

I tried a sample today. I tried the original Shalimar once, and unfortunately, it didn't suit me and was a bit much for me. I know a lot of people love the original one, and I wish I felt the same.
So when I tried this one, I was a bit like "oh we'll see...". But I love it! It's powdery, but such a lovely, sweet, clean powder. But it's not that heavy, it's just the perfect powder with a hint of vanilla, a spicy vanilla, not the super sweet one. It does remind me of something... I feel a bit nostalgic when I smell it, but I don't know why. Maybe it reminds me of babypowder, but the grown-up version, if that makes sense.
Anyway sillage and lastingpower are great! I think you can wear it all year round, all day, depending on how much you use.

akats
akats

if you have the Shalimar initial already, then it doesn't worth buing this edition also. They are almost the same except the citrusy opening. Initial and the Summer edition are lovely fragrances very unique and distinctive, but you cannot have them both!

aditika
aditika

Lasting power - 10/10
Versatility- 10/10
Silage- 10/10

What can you ask more. If you like Mademoiselle, Chance, Daisy, Lola, you will love this scent.
Please don't be discouraged because it has Shalimar tagged to it. It is Similar, yet very different from the original. Superb lasting power for an EDT (and I have dry skin, perfumes usually don't stick to me)

In comparison to Initial original this has a more citrusy start and the fragrance is light through out (not less powerful though). My personal preference is Initial original, but if you are a fan of Daisy original you would love this scent (no they don't smell same)

A light yet strong fragrance (Oxy-moron?) Initial is a perfect example of this :D

chowchow41

No its not a limited edition.

chowchow41

Perfect for this summer. A fresh start with bergamot wich is followed by the iris wich gives it is powdery touch an the lovely vanilla to finish it of. I noticed that the botlles are the same and on my botlle it doesnt say L'eau in the front as it says on the botlle above but on the sticker on the bottom of the botlle. The only difference on the botlles is the tassel this one is pink and Initial is blue. I also saw that the 60 ml botlles have a white box wich i find beautiful so you could see the difference bot the 40 ml also comes in a blue box i wish they would have made it white to.

distortech
distortech

Superb! This lacks the strange middle (green note) of PI that I really did not care for. It is replaced with a grapefruit note that works much better than I would have thought. The base seems closer to classic Shalimar. Thierry did a nice job on this. Bright and sparkling at the start and as sensual as it's ever been in the end. I will be wearing this often.

krisa.kola
krisa.kola

Today, I was trying out 2 perfumes of the Guerlain.. on my left hand, I sprayed this one, on the right one L'instant Magique. My first impression of Initial was.. meeeh. My first impression of Magique was WOW.

After 10minutes, things started turning out totaly different.

SHALIMAR was a bit too citrusy and not that much impressive at the start. But after half an hour, it developed a really full, dynamic smell, soft and lady like, but bold at the same time. This frragrance IS NOT a seductive one.. I would say it's an all-occasion smell for somebody who likes to sniff herself and be pleasent smelling to everbody around.

Now, after 7 hours, I can still smell it - faintly. The tonka bean smell stays the last, and I like it this way.

UPDATE:
I have been wearing it now for a few weeks, and I must say although I love it, it seems to stay really close to the skin, nobody even notices I'm wearing a perfume, except if I ask them to sniff it. My boyfriend doesn't like it - it seems to be on of those comfort smells you like sniffing on yourself, but it doesn't do much to the outside world.

mylancome
mylancome

Think this is a spring/summer edition for Shalimar Initial, like Idylle Duet for Idylle series.

fintifljusha
fintifljusha

It seems very nice and fresh-feminine, but does anybody know if it is a limited edition?

L'Eau de Parfum Initial IMO confirm the Guerlain ability of making perfumes that can be breathable in warmer climate or casual occasions, especially if worn with sense, without producing weak soulless flankers.
L'Eau de Parfum Initial maintains all the grandeur and sophisticated vibe of original only to a lower concentration and more delicate impact, faster working as for many EdT version at Guerlain. It's an addictive powdery yet modern type of scent and IMO a return to refined yet wild feminity, out of the crisis, out of austerity but with discipline. The lovely round fresh start is an ode to happiness and a burst of spontaneous behaviour, while the evolution reminds us of the fact that we are talking about "woman", not a lively teenager, rather a lively grownup lady who likes to plays with her own feminity. She doesn't do it in a confuse way. She plays knowing the game, she knows how to be daring but never vulgar. Great staying power and sillage on my skin.

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

This is a watery, powdery, and translucent version of Shalimar Initial. I personally smell no difference between it and its original.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Why oh why all the dislikes??? It is true that it smells nothing like Shalimar. So what? This is a beauty in itself. If you start with the idea that this should smell like the original, well, you have all the rights to be disappointed. But if you approach it gleefully, you will have the nicest surprise.
First of all, the presentation is stunning. The bottle is gorgeous, and the pink liquid inside is so delicate and feminine! The original citrus blast is fresh and zingy. Middle notes come on my skin as pure iris, reminding me a bit of the famous carrot blast from Hiris. The drydown is soft, slightly sweet, woody rosy.
I find this perfume gorgeous, and I love the transformation that takes place between top, middle and base notes. Silage and lasting are good for a "l'eau" , they could have been better though.
Overall, this is a new love of mine, recently gotten from my sweet fragrantican friend, NathalieZ.

gabyvinki
gabyvinki

First I read the comment text on the packaging of Shalimar L'eau, quoting Jaques Guerlain "A burst of freshness revealing one of the most beautiful Guerlain Iris notes.." And surely to my nose it is! I love the original Shalimar version, all of them except Ode Vanille. Shalimar Initial was wonderful with the great earthy patchouli note in there.. but I guess this one Shalimar L'eau will appeal to more people because of missing this strong and sometimes strange notes (Caramel!)of the Original Initial version. In Initial'Leau there s only a splashing green freshness of Bergamote, Grapefruit and Neroli.. and then not long after these fresh opening the Iris kicks in, warm , powdery, caressing , flowery ..so much enhanced by the rose .. My dream combi! Iris, Rose, Tonakabean, Vanille, always a winning combination for me! And yes, there s a fine sweetness to it of course through the vanilla and tonka, but that s to a great effect, never sickening sweet only flowery, powdery. Also a great iris-rose combi is Burberry Body Intense.. but that s another story and somehow sweeter then Initial L'eau. I m not very often disappointed by a new Guerlain, this one no exception. Only downside point : it s an EDT and not as long living as some would wish, but 3-4 hours will do. Needless to add: Totally LOVE IT!

dana.kalnina
dana.kalnina

This edt evokes in me very early memories of sitting in the theater dressing room while my mother (she is an actress) got ready for her performance: much powder, red lipstick, heavy stage makeup, white wigs and beautiful rich costumes for "The Three Musketeers"...
Positively a scent for classic romantic comedy.
The edt stays close to skin but is there for rather long time becoming more and more powdery. To me it seems not very sweet. It demands a little performance from the wearer and small dose of healthy self irony :)

Darker Than Black
Darker Than Black

Candy sweet orange in the opening, and then goes the innosent vanille powder. Yes, the scent is very powdery especially in the base. In the midlle notes it's the effect of iris, in the base it's the effect of tonka beans. Soft vanille reminds me of the classic Shalimar. The scent always stays close to skin. Longvity is not great. I can say that Shalimar Initial L'Eau is girly, candy sweet, good for summer modern version of the original Shalimar.

Patricia888
Patricia888

I tried this today. It`s like very strong sickening sweet soap. Very overpowering. Mee too, I do not see any similarity with the original Shalimar which is devine.

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

I was expecting a lighter than light version of Shalimar and was pleasantly surprised that this is not just the original watered down and sweetened up. It is a powdery vanilla but with a big dose of rich orris and a fairly heavy, almost musky tonka bean drydown. It's nothing like Shalimar and is certainly not a perfume of that class but it is more sophisticated and 'grown-up' than the current trend for flankers. Maybe that's the secret now - go in expecting the worst and you can be surprised into liking something!

smellsogood
smellsogood

This has 2 dislike votes!!!!
It's not even out yet!

almondcookie
almondcookie

I am looking forward to this one. I think house of Guerlain is trying to appeal to younger women this days, considering the type of perfumes they came out with in the last 8 years. As much as I like lily of the valley,freesia, hyacinth and vanilla I doubt if this would be a classic. I am expecting a sweet floral perfume that is not too strong.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Guerlain Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau , you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.