Designers » F-H » Oriental Floral « Groups

Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau Guerlain for women

Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau  Guerlain for women
dislike

The commercially successful experiment of Shalimar Parfum Initial (2011), a first foray for the budding Guerlain consumer into the legendary cosmos of the iconic Shalimar, continues. For 2012, Guerlain is planning on launching a flanker to this version called Shalimar Initial L'Eau. A lighter and drier spring bouquet, comprised of lily of the valley, freesia and hyacinth will garland the familiar vanillic coziness and warmth of the modernised Shalimar Initial to inject a fresh take for warmer weather, without the pitfall of too much sweetness.

It is available as 40, 60 and 100 ml EDT. The nose behind this fragrance is Thierry Wasser.

Neroli Bergamot Grapefruit Orange

Kobako Sensuelle

Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau Fragrance Reviews

Jenge
Jenge

This one is such a mystery, I can't decide how I feel about it! It starts really bright & fresh with citrusy iris. Then the tonka comes on really strong for me for awhile but then the top & middle blend for a really interesting mix. This scent has so many contradictions for me!

Warm/Cool
Feminine/Masculine
Spicy/Fresh
Gourmandy/Dry Floral

Kind of a sour, tonka iris powder that's not quite like anything else. (Except Shalimar PI, of course!) I find this stronger than PI, and like it a little better too, for the citrus that brightens it up.

Definite unisex, I think. Just don't know if it's full bottle worthy for me.

dioraddictfan
dioraddictfan

Very similar to Parfum Initial, but more iris, and it seems more powdery. I like it.

bebekesasar
bebekesasar

@schamberae you are Indonesian, aren't you? Well as an Indonesian, I'm completely aware that there have been many fake products floating around under the term "original reject". Most of time, they are fake, and very easy to identify by lack of box, scratches and imperfections, and the typical velvet pouch. The bottles are original because they are from used bottles, but the juice is fake and very likely to be oily. The conclusion has always been the same; stay away from rejects. There are no Chanel, Dior, or Mugler for merely $25 (approx. IDR300K)

schamberae
schamberae

I just got my PI L'eau from my online seller. it's original but rejected. it shows same bottle like in the guerlain official web page. NO l'eau word on the bottle, but written on the sticker below the bottle. I bought for only $18. This is Coffe Toffee Vanilla all over from beginning to the end. with only tiny amount of flowery notes. if you like Miss DIor Cherrie, Chanel Chance, JPG Classique then you deffinitely would love this. same family. warm ambery vanila, kinda Mademoiselle fragrance, not overpowering, polite and high class.

donimili
donimili

Long story short, i hated it, then it came to me as a present. After some time i can say i looove it, now. At first it smelled like dirty feet, but now that is gone. Well when i'm wrong i am really wrong.
It must have been this citrus combination that reminded me of dirt. Now it is my favorite part :) It doesn't last that long, at first it seemed like it will last forever. I'm sort of sad that it doesn't. After that it turns in wonderful creamy vanilla.
I fell madly in love with this little horror.
To my nose (that, now i know, doesn't work well) it goes: citruses (bergamot-lemon), iris and vanilla. These flowers in the middle i do not get (but, i'm no expert :))
If you do not like it on paper, spray it on your skin anyway. It changes incredibly, and you might end up liking it.
(This and Shalimar Parfum Initial were on my dislike list. I removed not only l'eau but also Parfum. You know, just in case... ;) )

Lillitth
Lillitth

Well this was a disappointment. It started with a big blast of unpleasant iris. At least that dissipated quickly but all that was left was the scent of Johnson's Baby Powder and vanilla. My husband's reaction was "Not a fan". I have to agree with him.

cbishton
cbishton

I just spent $70 on several tiny samples, omg, did I just do that? but here my journey starts. . . I expected something totally different with my first experience of a Shalimar perfume. I've read so much about Shalimar and the original fragrance shares so many traits of other perfumes I love, but I could only find two versions of Initial. The first spray was a rather rude blast of something very unpleasant. Fortunately, within seconds that disappeared. It is still early but, on me, this is pure Johnson's Baby Powder with vanilla. ZERO citrus. I can't even begin to imagine what people are talking about as there are no fruits, no florals here, not on my skin. It is 65% powder and 35% vanilla. So far, I am immensely disappointed. I was expecting fresh and complex. I hate the "old lady" comments, and at 47, I am a mature woman myself, but this is a granny scent to me. It smells so common. Too bad!

gomt
gomt

Somewhat dry and bitter at first, Parfum Initial L'eau dries down rather delightfully to a cozy, powdery fragrance. After the sharp beginning, it turns soft and feminine, yet neither sweet nor warm - just... subtle and chic, in its special way, which makes it rather universal season-wise. It took me some getting used to, but after the third or fourth wear, this perfume grew on me. Now I can't get enough.

It stays close to the skin, lasts long.

VintageViolet_
VintageViolet_

I MUCH prefer the Parum Initial to this one. L'eau is far to sharp and lacks the softness and class of PI.

Casaria
Casaria

I was really looking forward to smelling the tester i received after reading so many great reviews .. huge let down .. very powdery vanilla ..at one point it smelt like smelly socks .. no citrus for me and overall really ordinary so i am glad i did not buy a bottle.

bsmith2408

Okay so, I finally got my perfume today. I was expecting it to be citrus but on me it actually smells like baby powder. Not a bad smell but when I wear do wear it I will probably just spray once on my wrist so it's not too overwhelming.

Molko
Molko

Finally not a simply fruity and floral feminine fragrance. Initial l'eau is very fresh and raw bergamot smell at first, later the warmer and powdery notes come forward. I miss a hint of sweet (or much more) notes like chocolate or cacao like Dior Homme. This scent is rather classic than young and modern.
So clean, fresh, soapy, powdery and innocent, but confident and raw at the same time. It can cause headache sometimes.
My problem with this fragrance that doesn't radiate much, I feel on me, but the others don't. Longevity is quite good.
It can be wear in all season.
smell: 8/10
sillage: 7/10
longevity: 9/10

SweetTxGal
SweetTxGal

Don't just sniff the bottle and run! Most Guerlain fragrances need skin and body warmth to develop properly. Soft, powdery iris; sublime vanilla; citrusy without being sharp. This is a touch fresher and lighter (without losing longevity or sillage) than Parfum Initial. I love them both, and will wear Parfum Initial L'eau when the weather warms up.

Both Parfum Initial and Initial L'eau will get you compliments -- they are delicious!

bsmith2408

I just ordered this and I'm so excited I can't wait to try it out so I can leave an official review.
It was a total blind buy based on all the reviews I read but I think I'm going to love it since I have a weakness for citrus scents.

Marie76
Marie76

Very nice, cozy warm down, that reminds me of the sublime vanilla of the original shalimar, but in a subdued and powdery way. However , the opening is pure aniseed on me and I dislike that note.

Hellita
Hellita

Sorry girls, but I just don't get this. I smelled the bottle, and even though I haven't experienced it on skin I definately wasn't tempted to find out either.

crescentsho
crescentsho

Similar to Shalimar PI. I got more lemony opening and less depth. Don't need to buy PI and this one.almost the same. Choose Shalimar PI instead

HelenFlowerz
HelenFlowerz

Firstly it was very citrusy, but after 5 minutes it became very soft, powdery and beautiful. Amazing, how the perfume changes. Definitely for the hot sunny days! Citrus splash and light sweetness after. I love it!

flashrainbow
flashrainbow

Just got a bottle of this beauty. Blind buy and no regret. Opens with citrus (or bergamot?) and wood to my nose. It's quite strong at the very beginning then it calms to powdery-flowery and comforting scent. It is classy, spicy yet fresh and mood-booster kinda scent. Ok for day and night. I feel like a mademoiselle in a lil bright summer dress holding hands-walking down the street with a good looking guy as my best accessory. Not sexy nor sultry scent but somehow warm and sensual.. Reminds me of Gloria Gaynor's song "when you're walking down the street, show your feminine appeal. Eventho you're wearing jeans it's important to be real. You were born to be yourself, so no matter how you feel..If you want to impress the opposite sex"..spritz Shalimar Initial L'eau.

qatarkind
qatarkind

it's a citrus sharp powdery fragrance. UNISEX perfume.

MonaThorbourne
MonaThorbourne

Received a mini sample from Shoppers Drug Mart. It's much stronger than I thought it would be. And I like it much more than I thought I would. This may be going on my "want" list.

ivyheel
ivyheel

For someone who loves powdery notes, this is a treasure. I purchased it blind based on reviews as I was looking for a very powdery fragrance (it seems to be my favorite "note" in perfumes these days). This did not disappoint, so thanks everyone!

The scent itself if quite linear and simple, other than the opening notes. The first minute or so smells exactly like lipstick to me! Then, the scent becomes a very warm body powder with citrus (but no sourness here) and a mild serving of vanilla. Very very pretty. It goes without saying that the bottle is a work of art. A display piece, really. Final verdict: another Guerlain to love!

K1

Denying each of Shalimar line is somehow impossible but I strongly prefer this one over the others.
We have experience powdery iris in many perfumes that how luxuriously it smells like first class cosmetics. It's powdery iris, vanilla and different representation of citric notes in a bright and sparkling way.
Just like its root, it's so sensual and tempting but not sexy. Lets call it alluring.

sherien
sherien

Have been trying this and comparing it to initial several times.. I sprayed both on each arm more than 6 times to be sure.. and Yes, I bought Leau.. why.. it stays on my skin much much much longer than initial, both have the EXACT dry down on my skin, but initial disappeared in less than 30 minutes, and l'eau was still there after more than 5 hours.. fair enough.. My heart was longing more for Initial for the sweet caramel opening, but it disappears and settles exactly as L'eau.. maybe it's my skin chemistry but I really tested these 2 a lot to be sure!

Update: Just received it, tried it on my arms and neck.. God it's sweet spicy, that's how a mature woman should smell like.. happy wz my purchase

Henriette
Henriette

I am not a fan of flankers at all.
I am an old time fan of Shalimar instead.
With that in mind why did I try Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau?
If Shalimar is all you ask to life, why the need of trying this one? Certainly NOT to have a (watered, lightened, sweetened, brightened, whatever) version of the true, unique, real Shalimar.
That would be an insult, especially if you like, love, adore the Original.
Disposition of mind is crucial here.
What moved me to try and eventually buy this one is that no matter what, it is lovely. The opening citrus is beautiful, and you feel at once that behind the citrus there's more to come. It's as if citrus were sent to stage to make the opening and behind the curtains the remaining actors were peeping to see how their mate is welcomed.
Vanilla, iris, flowers, spices all make their appearance on stage, tiptoeing one after the other, after citrus, introduction completed, retired backstage.
Lasting power is not phenomenal, projection is fine and I love it on warm summer evenings and even on crisp autumn days.
Supposed that you have forgotten about Shalimar and do not even try a faint attempt to have its presence on your skin while wearing this one.

SweetDesire
SweetDesire

Three words: Johnson's Baby Powder.I'm definitely missing something here. That being said I have no other Shalimar variations to test it against. I won't be buying this one though.

Lavallectra
Lavallectra

I tried this perfume a few times over the last week, I really wanted to find what reviews here were talking about. But it's just not compatible with my skin.
On first sniff it smells like glue, heavy and vaporous. That was followed by overwhelming citrus, and the drydown for the next 6 hours or so smells stale and wrong, like a shabby vintage jacket in a dusty second hand store with its pockets filled with mothballs.
Those are my thoughts, and now... let the thumbs down on my post commence.

Julie Billi
Julie Billi

Mysterious, oriental but at the same time fresh fragrance even for younger ladies & the ones who love intense & long sillage in their perfumes...
It will be my choice for Spring & Summer next year !

bookishbeauty
bookishbeauty

Though this is an eau, this is no watery, weak scent...it's still strong and long-lasting. It opens with a strong burst of bergamot and grapefruit, very crisp and juicy. After about 10-15 minutes, the floral notes come in and then slip seamlessly into the vanilla/tonka drydown. It gets to the drydown fairly quickly, but oh how heavenly it is when it gets there! I have worn this very often this summer, in the evenings to different fun events--both dressed up and dressed down. Very versatile and a great complement to Shalimar Parfum Initial. This one for spring and summer, the other for the fall and winter.

Nessy
Nessy

Lovely and young(but not too girly) perfume, maybe this will be my signature. This scent represents me so well, gives me so special aura. I love the top notes, I feel a hint of galbanum in there, which is my favorite.
The heart of the perfume is the iris, the sign of House Guerlain. Sweet and powdery but refreshing all day, thanks to bergamot. My heart belongs to Guerlain, I think it's a beautiful tribute to Shalimar.
The bottle is a true eye candy, but I keep it in a box, as my all other scents.

Germany
Germany

This is a beautiful perfume. I should wear it more often. It has a bright citrusy opening and a heavenly sweety vanilla dry down. The tonka bean gives this a almond facet. I love it!!! I will start wearing it alot again. It's beautiful in the summer as in winter. It's just right if shalimar initial is too much for you then go with this one. It's easy to wear. Classy but playful and young!

xrayer
xrayer

Gorgeous lighter and silkier version of Shalimar, I just love it. Something you would wear with your sexiest negligee.

lisaivette
lisaivette

The opening of this perfume was truly tart enough to make my mouth water, which nearly made me scrub it off. So glad I didn't. Once the citrus took a back seat I could enjoy the the powdery iris and vanilla. Though I am on the fence about whether I would ever purchase a full bottle, I would not mind being in the same room with someone wearing this version.

the_blue_cat
the_blue_cat

This one is more diluted, more citrussy and a tad more bitter than Shalimar Parfum Initial. I do prefer the latter though. I find that the L'Eau version hasn't got the depth that Parfum Initial has. It's more "flat" and also, on my skin, a bit bitter.

Catt
Catt

This is the first Guerlain that I've learnt to love, and I must say that I like it better and better as I continue using it. My only regret is that I should've been bolder and gone with the Shalimar Parfum Initial instead of the L'eau.

L'eau does not last on me- maximum 1 hour if I do one spray on each wrist, and perhaps 4 hours if I do 6 sprays all over myself and the clothes I wear.

I shied away from the Parfum version as there was a hint of something 'off' and ammonia-like in the top notes on my skin, and it was more powdery (powdery as in the leftover salty smell of talcum after a few hours)than anything I was used to.

However, after a few days of using L'eau, I have a craving for a stronger, balmier version of this. I don't like the smell of vanilla, but I actually am able to accept and even develop a strong liking for L'eau's creamy vanilla during its drydown. I am not a fan of the initial opening in L'eau, but the blast of citrus makes it less 'classic' and more 'modern'. My shopping buddies do not like the original Shalimar as they say it smells "old-lady" and "mature", but are able to accept Shalimar Initial L'eau as it smells "younger". I interpretate that as old-lady= classic and young=current.

The dry-down smell of it is almost gourmand in nature- it makes me think of those vanilla butter cakes that are so popular here during one-month old baby birthday celebrations.

Sillage-wise, it extends about an arm's-length. It could be my skin chemistry but after 2 hours I feel that I'm the only one who can smell it, and only if I bury my nose in my wrist. In tropical weather, this is probably heavy enough, as if one was wearing a light scarf.

millie1980
millie1980

For a summer 'l'eau' style of perfume, this is actually quite potent and would easily suit other seasons. The fragrance does develop and change on the skin, but the main notes are iris and neroli wrapped in a mist of powdery vanilla. I am actually not a vanilla fan at all, but here it is restrained and the citrus cuts through. It has a balanced sweetness.

It is really very classy, and if it is aimed at younger women, they must surely be elegant for their age.

I also finally own a Guerlain :-)

michelle.p.stpierre
michelle.p.stpierre

This has more citrus notes in the opening with the addition of grapefruit and the green note in Shalimar Initial is replaced by neroli in this one. The overall effect makes this lighter and fresher in the opening and therefore more suitable for warmer weather. Same goes for the middle notes where vetiver and patchouli are replaced by hyacinth, muguet de bois (lily of the valley), and freesia. Iris is still dominate here so it is still powdery, but not as powdery as Shalimar Initial. There is no mistaking that this isn't Shalimar Initial. It still smells like Shalimar Initial only lighter. At times, the rose and the lily of the valley are noticeable on me. In the base notes, the musk and caramel were taken out leaving the vanilla and tonka bean. It's still smells very much of the vanilla, but not as sweet so not to become cloying when out in the heat.

For me, this is like replacing cashmere that is Shalimar Initial with silk that is the essence of Shalimar Initial L'eau and summer. Perfect!

EDIT: This is what the body lotion smells like. Layering the two does make it last longer on your skin.

varykino
varykino

It distresses me that the Shalimar citrus notes hate me so. In every version I have tried — the original, PI and PI L'Eau — the start is sharp, medicinal, sour on my skin, somehow made worse by the vanilla lurking under it which seems stale and cloying by contrast. I adore smelling original Shalimar on others, but it's nothing short of repulsive on me, and while Shalimar PI is better, it's too heavy on the patchouli (my kryptonite).

I don't know if it's worse or better (maddeningly hope-inducing, for sure) that L'Eau actually does, after an hour or so, transform into that exquisite vanilla I've been yearning for. With glorious, powdery iris! I keep coming back for a spritz or two, stoically enduring the first hour, wondering if perhaps the start is a little bit more bearable this time. And then the wafts of fluffy, vanilla-iris heaven start, and all is forgiven as I sit with my nose glued to my arm. As long as there's a drop left in my decant, I haven't given up on this one yet.

Vixie
Vixie

I was very brave and purchased this semi-blindly, having tested it once, not having been too impressed, but I just love the bottle, and read the great reviews here that convinced me it was something I would like, even though I tend to steer clear of citrus. And I really like it.

Initially it is reminiscent of my beloved Chanel No 5 Voile, a pink concoction that came out all too briefly and disappeared, never to be heard of again. It settles to powdery floral, but is not heady. Though it has hints of being a flower garden, it is in fact much more subtle. The citrus and vanilla are not strong and overpowering, but are complimented appreciably by the more dominant rose and tonka bean. After it dries, the lily of the valley is noticeable.

This is such a comfortably, beautifully soft perfume, and one of the few florals that I am able to wear that does not turn acidic in smell - I am so glad to have found it. It is a deeper fragrance than it might seem, and lasts a good long while. The balance works very well and is a fitting modern Geurlain, identifying itself firmly with its predecessors, while soaring serenely among the notes and bouquets of the now.

mudpach
mudpach

What a lovely scent! It has been long time in my wishlist, and now I got a bottle. First of all I respect the grand Shalimar, but I can't wear it every days, and Shalimar Parfum Initial is a great modern interpretation of the historical Shalimar perfume. Still the reason why I love Initial L'Eau better is that this scent is lighter, fresher so that preserves the great ancestor's every miracles and powers. Perfect for springtime!

dream
dream

When I tried it few hours ago, in the first sniff I didn't like it at all, I smelled anise which I really hate, but by hours it turned to a very pleasant scent, to something so powdery and clean, the smell is refreshing, and by the way it's still changing and it's getting better and better :) most of votes are for day but I recommend it in night too

monamonib
monamonib

ialready have shalimar the old one the original then ismelt shalimar initial and ifound it after dry down close to normal shalimar so iwas hesitate to bye same original but litte lighter then the the man sprayed l eau on my hand and said do not judge it now wait so idid nt buy anything and went home then istart feel initial l eau blooming on my hand it is very bowdery iris in the same time it has the young spirit of shalimar and i think it is close to chanel no 19 pouder for me it is my favourite and last about four hours sillage is moderate
EDIT for sorrow after ibought it and back home ifound that its powdwe very thick that icould not pear it that iwant vomit so ire back to the shop this is powdery bomb and do not let its colour pink make u feel its light big no for ur information iam awomen who likes shalimar opium youth dew not freshly light perfume thanks hope that will help in ur desigion

Actress80
Actress80

I just received Shalimar Initial L'eau today and I just love it! I have been looking for a fragrance to replace Ellen Tracy for years and I believe I found it.
I mostly smell powdery Iris and Tonka bean, but this smells expensive. Wearing this makes me feel like a million bucks. Staying power is pretty good.
The original SI is too strong and for the first few hours smells a bit like medicine on me, so I am really happy that I was able to find a bottle of l'eau on Scentedmonkey, since it's not avaialable in stores.
This is not your typical generic sweet fragrance which smells like strawberries and candy. A woman who wears this perfume has good taste and is a warm, charming lady.

alanood
alanood

I injoied this one very much . very pawdry and spicy and so classy. staing power and sillage are perfect for an ET . I prefer this one over the EP ,and yes definitely they smell defrent

SopurePoison
SopurePoison

I love this scent. When I first spritzed the eau de parfum on me in the store I wasn't that impressed, the citrus topnotes were a bit too overwhelming, but at home I kept smelling my arm. So the next time when I was in a perfumery I tried the l'eau and immediately fell in love! I love the creme brulee like vanilla in the base and Oh lala all the other lovely flowers! It is a gorgeous fragrance! And the bottle is very pretty as well!

melange
melange

Captivated as I was by Shalimar Parfum Initial, I made the decision to buy a 60 ml bottle. I found the best deal and... got me a sample of l'Eau. I must have had a hunch.

To wax artistic, Shalimar Parfum Initial is a fascinating fragrance, but it makes me feel inadequate. It's someone else's perfume, not mine, and evokes - in me, at least - associations with modern noir. It belongs to someone with more poise, more presence - I know I lack none of this qualities, mind you, and I wouldn't mind having a bottle, but it still feels like stealing from someone else's dresser.

L'Eau is a girl-next-door version of Shalimar Parfum Initial, Effie Perrine to Initial's Brigid O'Shaughnessy: more approachable, instantly relatable, good-natured, sparkingly alive. Vanilla base won me in an instant, and even though I rarely appreciate florals, I love its glittering, multi-dimensional floral heart.

shanghaifleur
shanghaifleur

I tried this the other day and i must say I was left unimpressed. It's nothing like shalimar the original, and nothing like l'initial either. To my nose, all i could get was a yucky toffee/tonka bean smell, if any....

For a flanker of Shalimar, this has no character, and nothing distinctive. I can't even say that it's "fresh" or citrussy as the name "l'eau" would suggested. This is just rancid and way too sweet.
It's like if they just throw together a bunch of unrelated notes with no specific final result in mind: a mess:-/

Lanlisa
Lanlisa

Shalimar original seemed strong and old fashioned to me, however after seeing Katie Puckriks review I went back to the dept store to try it again. Still skeptical, I tried Shalimar Initial on my wrists. My sons complained it was strong but I hung in there. Finally, the spritz on my wrists dried down to the most beautiful creamy powdery scent. I purchased a large bottle and I apply a mist to the air and walk through it. It's gorgeous! When I'm alone I apply more and on my wrists because I can't get enough. I have the original Shalimar in a lotion that I love but my husband nearly convulses and swears he gets an instant migraine! I will wear it for myself when he's off to work!

ttrappe
ttrappe

I think this is a very complex perfume. I am not an expert but it seems to change by the hour. It's very strong when you first put it on then, within ten minutes it's very different. I read a review on Sephora about the user smelling her arm every five minutes and I feel the same way. I think it is very feminine, it makes me feel wonderful. I'll have to get better at reviewing but I do honestly love this one. I am in a cold part of the US and it reminds me of spring, babies and warmth...

atiet97
atiet97

First, don't even try to compare it to the original Shalimar! Coz, of course it's not comparable. If Shalimar Initial is her daughter, SHIL would be her grand daughter. They are in different age, have different interests and surely different blends. In short it's a lighter and daytime version of Shalimar Initial.

Secondly, if you’re into teeny, bubbly, sweet, youth perfume, PLEASE don’t even try this. SHIL would only break your heart and instead of giving a fruitfully review or critics you would end up trashing this beauty. Well, here we go…

I surrendered and downed on my knee from the initial spray….captivated from the beginning. The citrus is sparkly and blends nicely with the powdery iris + burnt vanilla combo which came out heavenly. I'm not sure if I'm able to differentiate all the floral notes that are stated here, but there are hints of jasmine or rose. I don't detect any lily of the valley and I can't vouch for freesia, since I haven't smelled any of them so far.

I feel that the top and the mid were woven tightly, creating a solid lingering blends that couldn't be separated. They are one in two different beings. This top-mid phase stays for like 1-3 hours. The dry down is balmy, slightly bitter-sweet, very earthy and smokey, almost smells like the wet and damp dirt. Could that be the tonka bean + iris root + vanilla?? Probably.

As the descendent of Shalimar I'm expecting longer longevity, SHIL loves my skin for only 4 hours max. The sillage is powerful in the first 5-10 minutes and calmer afterward. I can’t wear the original Shalimar, but SHIL….I would guard this for the rest of my life!!

vanilla-lovers
vanilla-lovers

i think i've put too much expectation on this, since i've read so many good review.

luckily, i got the 5ml decant first.. because i dont like it AT ALL.

the first time i tried it, i thought my nose mistaken me, it's smell like Air Conditioner. The next morning i tried it again and i got the same blah ..

totally not recommended if you don't like tonka bean, or tonka bean with citrus. Blah.

ChloeYellow
ChloeYellow

Opening by something fresh ... seem bright and cheerful ....
Then slowly becoming more sensual ... Impressed warm and soft ...
And yes, I like it!

luludemoiselle
luludemoiselle

I suddenly found out this is similar to Angel EDT. SO I made a test. I had Shalimar Initial L'eau on my right wrist and Angel EDT on my left. Yes, they DO smell similar. Sweet and Spicy. L'eau is fresher with a bit salty on my skin. Angel EDT is sweeter and stronger. IMO Angel EDT projests better and lasts longer. At first, I found L'eau very sensual with the spicy vanilla note. BUt after a while, it turned out boring. That's how frangrances nowaday are like?

caramellomacchiato
caramellomacchiato

if u are still hesitant about do not know to buy L'Eau or Initial,hope those could help u a bit~~
L'Eau is fresh with citrus note;
Initial is mellow with Caramel note!
Initial is mellow and richer ,L'Eau is lighter and fresher IMO~~

both of L'Eau & Initial (their foxy smell)could be recognized those two are daughters of mama Shalimar~~
lasting power of L'Eau is nearly as well as Initial(both are good enough;especially Initial,on clothing fabric could keep even weeks)
PS.
the one I have is Initial not L'Eau instead ;
but if I no need to care about my financial,I would love to have both~

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

When I spray this scent on paper it smells nice, with the Shalimar signature and it holds lots of promise. But on my skin, this scent comes on strong initially with lots of aldehydes and a "look at me" iris note. It finally settles down to a faint spicy powdery scent on my skin with something a bit sour in the background. This fragrance just does not work with my body chemistry, which is sad because it sounds so gorgeous when other people describe how it smells on them. Oh well.... I still have original Shalimar!

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Some people Stateside have asked me to check out the Shalimar Inital L'eau, which I believe is not yet widely available there.

It's been suggested that this is brighter, more aromatic and in the opening at least much sharper and as a consequence it gains assertiveness, all of which is true in comparison with the Parfum Initial (I don't think comparisons with original Shalimar are particularly useful).

The dry down is satisfying but the major difference is much less sweetness, no benzoin (I didn't detect much before: though hell I was wearing Tabu the other day so that's probably made me immune) and not really much caramel.

The effect is of a healthier - there's much more citrus and bergamot - and leaner affair. More frozen yogurt at the hip deli than calorie festival at the formica and chrome grand old ice cream parlour. That's not a criticism, just an observation - this is a more restrained and I might say mature affair, and whilst the Iris is still very much to the fore, the floral effect is contained within an orange and lemon grove. I detect more powder coming through in the later stages, which I enjoyed but might not be to every taste.

In brief the Parfum Initial is the more luscious and indulgent affair and will appeal to all, the L'eau is more complex, adult and aromatic but may seem like short changing to those who love the first fragrances generous sweetness.

To the many of you who don't know me, I'm a guy all at sea on the ocean of female fragrance - if there's any you think I should try then add the to my list at the thread 'what made for women fragrances can or should a man wear?'. All advice gratefully received.

Blimunda
Blimunda

The main difference between this perfume and Shalimar Initial is that L'eau version is stronger, you wouldn't believe that, I know!

Practically, if you eliminate patchouli notes and add fresh citrus blast, mainly bergamont, as well as cold iris and a bit sharp hyacinth accords on the strong vanilla base, you get Shalimar Initial L'Eau.

It is sweeter, thicker, stronger and has better both lasting power and aura. I hardly believe, but I prefer this one to Initial!

MontrealGirl
MontrealGirl

A perfume where the expression "the whole is greater than the sum" applies. I loved how the soft, floral smells, the vanilla and the citrus did not overpower each other but mixed to create something elegant from beginning to end. The scents just FLOWED into each other perfectly.

I was also happy that, unlike so many new releases, this was does not have the candy smell.

this is almost Parfum initial,just add up some citrus and voila!it's parfum initial l'eau.
actually I enjoyed the zesty smelling of citruse mixed with vanilla and woody notes.as a L'eau version of a perfume long lasting power and sillage are considerable.what I like about it is that it's wearable both for young girls and elder ladies;not childish,but not old-fashioned either.
I'm not a die fan of shalimar new versions,but this re-edition is better than the other ones I've already tried.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

I like this a lot. Couldn't decide initially which one I liked more - the EDP or L'eau? Well, this one is drier in the beginning, still woody and has nice powdery vanilla dry-down on me. Very nice, less dramatic and more predictable that the EDP, but still very good.

Jasminalia
Jasminalia

The next one will probably be : Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau Intense, or : Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Elixir.
Or just : Shalimar Parfum Initial The Flanker

nesca1502
nesca1502

My mom bought this today for my sister in law and I fell in love with it! I don't like the original Shalimar much with my skin chemistry, but this is perfect for me, I love how it starts smelling really young with the light and citric top notes, and how it transforms into a sensual vanilla smell in the dry down.
I don't think this is in any way somewhat "disrespectful" to the original Shalimar as some of the other reviewers had hint at, I really love that they took a classic and reinvented it, it is for an elegant woman in her middle 30's, confident on herself and it's perfect for day or night wear. It will definitely be my second buy from Guerlain this year, after La Petite Robe Noire.

K1

Apparently it shows why it takes dislike, it's nothing especial in the scent but we consider the quality. Rightfully, if we have simple monotone floral perfume in this quality, it blows all heads! L'eau is simple and so familiar but not bad at all nor negative. It's an iris bomb and so beautiful, I think. Right, comparing to other Shalimar editions it's so underrated but comparing to rest of shelves in markets, it hits.
It's floral, smoky and sweet, elegant and delicate, not so teeny nor so old.

moynah
moynah

IMHO, the original Shalimar reminds me of my grandmothers lingerie drawer - the scent that is a mix of oldy-worldy jasmine, lily of the valley or some lavender poof scent bags, coupled with blocks of powdery crumbling soap bars circa 1969, stuck in an old oak drawer, that squeaks and jams when opened.

So.. I didn't have much hope for this. How surprised I was.. not like original at all. Brought bang up to date. All I can say that drawer of old panties, with 'gone' elastic needs to be locked & trashed! Say hello to a new drawer, full of delicate french lace, silk & satin. So fresh! yet still powdery, still has a 'connection' of sorts to original, but a great alternative that kicks grans stuffy old ass into orbit.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I think it's important to try and dissociate this perfume from the original Shalimar and its large family of flankers to really appreciate it. Let's stop calling it a diluted version of THE Shalimar or a pathetic attempt at making more money from the younger masses. I do not believe L'Eau to be a young girl's scent, bien au contraire. It is mature and accomplished. Seductive and intelligent.

Taken alone, this is a beautiful dry, ambery iris/jasmin/muguet fragrance, soft and feminine without overplaying the floral. The powder note here is beautiful and does not smell of "baby powder" like so many other Iris based perfumes. (Read Shalimar parfum initial)

After an hour, I can smell the more "shy" flowers blooming from the heart. Neroli, Freesia, Hyacinth, and yes, Rose. The rose here is very shy indeed!

Unlike many others, I do smell the jasmine and muguet quite strongly a few minutes into the opening, after the first iris blast.

another half hour and YUM! Iris/vanilla galore!

Anybody disappointed with this perfume, feel free to contact me. I have nice things to swap for it.

LaPetite
LaPetite

Ok , this is a flanker of a flanker , but i like it a lot better than the original "initial" .
The same thing happened to me with "Shalimar" and "Eau de Shalimar" , the original is way "too much" for me , too heavy etc ..., but this lighter version is just fine .
Can really be an alternative of "initial" if you have a sensitive nose.

yacoco
yacoco

amazing
way i see dislike also my girl didnt like it
i think becuse its kind of powdery

for me its amazing scent
remind me of dior homme its love from the first sniff 9/10 anyway i need to try it more
it could be unisex

worth to try it and buy

delilahcat
delilahcat

I bought this fragrance for a friend for her birthday and she abslolutely loved it! Its warm and spicy but light and fresh and floral at the same time! Such a lovely composition that all the notes just flow together to create a great fragrance that will suit most people whilst still being special. Its so good im starting to wonder if i should have kept this one for myself!

Hippyhop2
Hippyhop2

I tried a sample today. I tried the original Shalimar once, and unfortunately, it didn't suit me and was a bit much for me. I know a lot of people love the original one, and I wish I felt the same.
So when I tried this one, I was a bit like "oh we'll see...". But I love it! It's powdery, but such a lovely, sweet, clean powder. But it's not that heavy, it's just the perfect powder with a hint of vanilla, a spicy vanilla, not the super sweet one. It does remind me of something... I feel a bit nostalgic when I smell it, but I don't know why. Maybe it reminds me of babypowder, but the grown-up version, if that makes sense.
Anyway sillage and lastingpower are great! I think you can wear it all year round, all day, depending on how much you use.

akats
akats

if you have the Shalimar initial already, then it doesn't worth buing this edition also. They are almost the same except the citrusy opening. Initial and the Summer edition are lovely fragrances very unique and distinctive, but you cannot have them both!

aditika
aditika

Lasting power - 10/10
Versatility- 10/10
Silage- 10/10

What can you ask more. If you like Mademoiselle, Chance, Daisy, Lola, you will love this scent.
Please don't be discouraged because it has Shalimar tagged to it. It is Similar, yet very different from the original. Superb lasting power for an EDT (and I have dry skin, perfumes usually don't stick to me)

In comparison to Initial original this has a more citrusy start and the fragrance is light through out (not less powerful though). My personal preference is Initial original, but if you are a fan of Daisy original you would love this scent (no they don't smell same)

A light yet strong fragrance (Oxy-moron?) Initial is a perfect example of this :D

chowchow41

No its not a limited edition.

chowchow41

Perfect for this summer. A fresh start with bergamot wich is followed by the iris wich gives it is powdery touch an the lovely vanilla to finish it of. I noticed that the botlles are the same and on my botlle it doesnt say L'eau in the front as it says on the botlle above but on the sticker on the bottom of the botlle. The only difference on the botlles is the tassel this one is pink and Initial is blue. I also saw that the 60 ml botlles have a white box wich i find beautiful so you could see the difference bot the 40 ml also comes in a blue box i wish they would have made it white to.

distortech
distortech

Superb! This lacks the strange middle (green note) of PI that I really did not care for. It is replaced with a grapefruit note that works much better than I would have thought. The base seems closer to classic Shalimar. Thierry did a nice job on this. Bright and sparkling at the start and as sensual as it's ever been in the end. I will be wearing this often.

krisa.kola
krisa.kola

Today, I was trying out 2 perfumes of the Guerlain.. on my left hand, I sprayed this one, on the right one L'instant Maqiue. My first impression of Initial was.. meeeh. My first impression of Maqiue was WOW.

After 10minutes, things started turning out totaly different.

SHALIMAR was a bit too citrusy and not that much impressive at the start. But after half an hour, it developed a really full, dynamic smell, soft and lady like, but bold at the same time. This frragrance IS NOT a seductive one.. I would say it's an all-occasion smell for somebody who likes to sniff herself and be pleasent smelling to everbody around.

Now, after 7 hours, I can still smell it - faintly. The tonka bean smell stays the last, and I like it this way.

UPDATE:
I have been wearing it now for a few weeks, and I must say although I love it, it seems to stay really close to the skin, nobody even notices I'm wearing a perfume, except if I ask them to sniff it. My boyfriend doesn't like it - it seems to be on of those comfort smells you like sniffing on yourself, but it doesn't do much to the outside world.

mylancome
mylancome

Think this is a spring/summer edition for Shalimar Initial, like Idylle Duet for Idylle series.

fintifljusha
fintifljusha

It seems very nice and fresh-feminine, but does anybody know if it is a limited edition?

L'Eau de Parfum Initial IMO confirm the Guerlain ability of making perfumes that can be breathable in warmer climate or casual occasions, especially if worn with sense, without producing weak soulless flankers.
L'Eau de Parfum Initial maintains all the grandeur and sophisticated vibe of original only to a lower concentration and more delicate impact, faster working as for many EdT version at Guerlain. It's an addictive powdery yet modern type of scent and IMO a return to refined yet wild feminity, out of the crisis, out of austerity but with discipline. The lovely round fresh start is an ode to happiness and a burst of spontaneous behaviour, while the evolution reminds us of the fact that we are talking about "woman", not a lively teenager, rather a lively grownup lady who likes to plays with her own feminity. She doesn't do it in a confuse way. She plays knowing the game, she knows how to be daring but never vulgar. Great staying power and sillage on my skin.

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

This is a watery, powdery, and translucent version of Shalimar Initial. I personally smell no difference between it and its original.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Why oh why all the dislikes??? It is true that it smells nothing like Shalimar. So what? This is a beauty in itself. If you start with the idea that this should smell like the original, well, you have all the rights to be disappointed. But if you approach it gleefully, you will have the nicest surprise.
First of all, the presentation is stunning. The bottle is gorgeous, and the pink liquid inside is so delicate and feminine! The original citrus blast is fresh and zingy. Middle notes come on my skin as pure iris, reminding me a bit of the famous carrot blast from Hiris. The drydown is soft, slightly sweet, woody rosy.
I find this perfume gorgeous, and I love the transformation that takes place between top, middle and base notes. Silage and lasting are good for a "l'eau" , they could have been better though.
Overall, this is a new love of mine, recently gotten from my sweet fragrantican friend, NathalieZ.

gabyvinki
gabyvinki

First I read the comment text on the packaging of Shalimar L'eau, quoting Jaques Guerlain "A burst of freshness revealing one of the most beautiful Guerlain Iris notes.." And surely to my nose it is! I love the original Shalimar version, all of them except Ode Vanille. Shalimar Initial was wonderful with the great earthy patchouli note in there.. but I guess this one Shalimar L'eau will appeal to more people because of missing this strong and sometimes strange notes (Caramel!)of the Original Initial version. In Initial'Leau there s only a splashing green freshness of Bergamote, Grapefruit and Neroli.. and then not long after these fresh opening the Iris kicks in, warm , powdery, caressing , flowery ..so much enhanced by the rose .. My dream combi! Iris, Rose, Tonakabean, Vanille, always a winning combination for me! And yes, there s a fine sweetness to it of course through the vanilla and tonka, but that s to a great effect, never sickening sweet only flowery, powdery. Also a great iris-rose combi is Burberry Body Intense.. but that s another story and somehow sweeter then Initial L'eau. I m not very often disappointed by a new Guerlain, this one no exception. Only downside point : it s an EDT and not as long living as some would wish, but 3-4 hours will do. Needless to add: Totally LOVE IT!

dana.kalnina
dana.kalnina

This edt evokes in me very early memories of sitting in the theater dressing room while my mother (she is an actress) got ready for her performance: much powder, red lipstick, heavy stage makeup, white wigs and beautiful rich costumes for "The Three Musketeers"...
Positively a scent for classic romantic comedy.
The edt stays close to skin but is there for rather long time becoming more and more powdery. To me it seems not very sweet. It demands a little performance from the wearer and small dose of healthy self irony :)

Darker Than Black
Darker Than Black

Candy sweet orange in the opening, and then goes the innosent vanille powder. Yes, the scent is very powdery especially in the base. In the midlle notes it's the effect of iris, in the base it's the effect of tonka beans. Soft vanille reminds me of the classic Shalimar. The scent always stays close to skin. Longvity is not great. I can say that Shalimar Initial L'Eau is girly, candy sweet, good for summer modern version of the original Shalimar.

Patricia888
Patricia888

I tried this today. It`s like very strong sickening sweet soap. Very overpowering. Mee too, I do not see any similarity with the original Shalimar which is devine.

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

I was expecting a lighter than light version of Shalimar and was pleasantly surprised that this is not just the original watered down and sweetened up. It is a powdery vanilla but with a big dose of rich orris and a fairly heavy, almost musky tonka bean drydown. It's nothing like Shalimar and is certainly not a perfume of that class but it is more sophisticated and 'grown-up' than the current trend for flankers. Maybe that's the secret now - go in expecting the worst and you can be surprised into liking something!

martif1
martif1

Yes this is out and unfortunately I got a bottle in December. It smells nothing like the original Shalimar that I have several bottles of and love. Original one smells powdery and fresh. This smells rancid and strong. I regret purchasing it and avoid wearing it not to offend others in the room. The original smells divine, soft and powdery. This goes on strong and stays strong .

smellsogood
smellsogood

This has 2 dislike votes!!!!
It's not even out yet!

almondcookie
almondcookie

I am looking forward to this one. I think house of Guerlain is trying to appeal to younger women this days, considering the type of perfumes they came out with in the last 8 years. As much as I like lily of the valley,freesia, hyacinth and vanilla I doubt if this would be a classic. I am expecting a sweet floral perfume that is not too strong.

Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau by Guerlain 3.83 out of 5 based on 601 ratings and 88 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau , you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.