Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Guerlain for men

Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Guerlain for men
dislike

I have it: 1005 I had it: 268 I want it: 684 My signature: 51

Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Guerlain for men Pictures Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Guerlain for men Pictures Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Guerlain for men Pictures Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Guerlain for men Pictures

Habit Rouge is a classic fragrance for men which was launched in 2003. This is a reorchestrated version of the original fragrance from 1965. the nose behind it isJean Paul Guerlain. The composition is based on the harmony of fresh and intense citruses in the top (lime, orange and bergamot) and warm oriental balsamic notes in the base. The smoky and leathery nuances in the final notes are contrasting with the juicy beginning. The sophisticated heart is composed of flowers, precious woods with a warm touch of cinnamon.

The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Paul Guerlain.

Orange Basil Bergamot Brazilian Rosewood Lemon Lime Tangerine

Carnation Sandalwood Patchouli Cinnamon Jasmine Cedar Rose

Labdanum Leather Amber Benzoin Oakmoss Vanilla

Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Fragrance Reviews

SNOOPY
SNOOPY

The opening is nothing special,a little old style maybe but what impressed me was the drydown.smelled sort of like angel food cake tastes.Put it on a day before you go out

1welshdevil

I nearly burst a blood vessel when I was challenged on buying a new bottle, and was told it's old fashioned. I want it out there that this is the most timeless men's fragrance on Earth. One of the best blended, beautiful and relevant scents there is. It's a magic potion, considering it was first introduced in 1965 it knocks spots off most 'new' fragrances, and for anyone who thinks it's feminine, No, this is a man's man's scent. Gorgeous!!

usas
usas

Review from a sample spray (actually don't know if it is the original or a reformulated formula).

Habit Rouge starts out with a sharp lemon note. It then makes a huge transition into a soft, powdery, sweet fragrance. The lemon is still present, but I also smell rose and ginger. Great quality, and great complexity (as in I keep on smelling new notes during my wear).
I consider this as a serious scent. It doesn't have any edge or playfulness.

When I wore it I read some reviews and read about this being for an old man. Suddenly I felt that too: Habit Rouge is probably best fit for a 70+ man wearing a suit.

Concluding: a great quality scent, but not for me (at the moment!)

7,5/10

Knightofwands
Knightofwands

Nectar of the gods!

Jerry Can
Jerry Can

Anything important to say about this fragrance has been said many times. It is my favourite Habit Rouge of those I've known and owned. (They are all different, believe me). My only criticism of the EdT is the opening: like Dior's current reformulation of their original Fahrenheit, it can resemble petrol. I don't like it. But, it passes. What follows is a wonderful heart and finish. Definitely one that reflects flatteringly on the wearer. Very cultured and charming.

Casavulva
Casavulva

I respect Habit Rouge, but as I just wrote in my review of Nicolai New York, I feel this kind of powdery dandyness is outdated now.

Historically important I guess you could still wear Habit Rouge now and then, as it is so different from everything coming out today, perhaps after 1990.

Personally I do not feel comfortable in public with this, but like to test it occasionally when at home in front of my fireplace with a book and a glass of XO Cognac

7/10 (used to be 9/10)

wonderlife
wonderlife

My first impression of Habit Rouge was that it smelled VERY dated and strong! Flanker said EDT but performed like an EDP. Three sprays is all it took. Projected like a monster.

I switched to the other arm for a comparison test (I had L'instant on my left.) Neither one was too different from the other surprisingly, except L'instant was softer, warmer, slightly more modern, but both were unquestionably feminine, like in a walker and garden hat sort of way.

Verdict. I don't see how anybody can sport either one of these fragrances, especially Habit Rouge.

GMK
GMK

Stunning piece of art from the prestigious house of Guerlain which never let me down, what an ideal fragrance for a mature and confident man who always wants to smell elegant and nice.

Awesome start with orange blossom , mandarin and carnation feels very unique and energetic, and who does not know the Guerlain's dry down.

A Masterpiece.

Liamsardea
Liamsardea

If for one month I was forced to wear only one fragrance, this would be it.

When I become king of the world, I am going to instantaneously rename Habit Rouge to Happiness or Euphoria… or something along those lines. It’s effervescent and masculine without heaviness and effortlessly embodies all the things you love in fragrance. It’s universally appealing.

This fragrance embodies a cold morning at a country club. The red jacketed horse riders in the distance with a background of vast evergreen trees. A cool breeze sweeps the brown and red leaves tumbling into the horse stable; with the high-class crowd of dandies and ravishing consorts only doors down wearing their Jickys, L’Heure Bleues, Vol de Nuits and Shalimars. Habit combines all of these smells into something proudly red, with masculinity (in the form of leather) thrown in for good measure.

The opening has this divine lemon soda appeal that’s incredibly crisp. A citrus accord moulded with opopanax with sweet and sticky tree resins. It opens very sweetly, the citrus accord being lemon, bergamot, orange blossom and tender mandarin. It’s a bit cologne-esque, but better, because it lasts.

Habit Rouge then envelops itself in very subdued modulations of leather. The primal; inherent masculinity of leather notes in this instance is not lost, but merely altered with accessibility in mind. Instead of the usual, a smooth polished leather is delivered in contrast to the usual rough and tough, charred and smokey leather in many masculine fragrances. In turn you are enveloped in a round, gentle and buttery note that is very refined.

Being a staunch hell-bent traditionalist, I do like my Chanel No 5 & Shalimar by Guerlain and classics along those lines, and I do certainly get a Shalimar feel to this. There’s an underlying oriental spiciness to Habit Rouge that makes it blush a dark and exotic velvety red. Perhaps it’s a sprinkle of the vanilla in the drydown or an aromatic cinnamon all-spice vibe – or possibly just the warm opopanax being reiterated in the dry drydown as an unceasing heart note, but who knows? It’s the secret of Guerlain.

On that note, Habit Rouge allows men to explore both the famous guerlinade accord of bergamot, patchouli, Bulgarian rose and vanilla and the marshmallow accord of benzoin and orange blossom. It is also important to note that according to Guerlain this is the first heavy use of vanilla in male fragrance; and also a novel oriental.

What I receive is tinges of a little bit of everything. It’s incredibly impressive.

Without a doubt, I will continue attribute the effervescent ‘lemonade’ sweetness to the guerlinade (which if you think about it, is probably the reason for the bound suffix -inade in guerlinade); A slight green and leafy herbal-ness at the back of the nose with a crisp mintyness; The comforting oriental spice notes (deriving from Shalimar’s influence) from tantalising vanilla and cinammon-esque vibes with the masculine interplay of woods and leather; and of course the moreish, texturally pleasing marshmallow accord with the benzoin. It’s the whole package!

This time men get the complexity and bone-chilling pleasingness of intricate fragrances. However, Habit Rouge is never too brazen, nor never too befuddling for anyone to be put off by it. It has, on a simple level, a very simple note breakdown of lemon, rose, vanilla and lemon; but concurrently, a tried and true set of Guerlain accords blended together without roughness and a little bit of subtlety to be equally and unequivocally a male masterpiece with a delightful profusion of notes, both floral and a little bit more masculine.

Beauty – Immediately understood, never quite elucidated. -Luca Turin on Habit Rouge.

Finally, the drydown presents an unmistakable dusty, light orange sherbet talcum powder feel that is actually sweet and friendly, yummy. Not bad at all.

“Non, Habit Rouge c’est comme les petits pains,” — [Habit Rouge is] a French institution as constant as croissants. Secretly complex. 5/5

ada.cotoi
ada.cotoi

Well, first I should say that I`m a woman in my mid twenties and I am wearing Habit Rouge with such a pleasure.

Like Shalimar, the opening is citrusy, not bergamot this time but lemon, a very refreshing hint, perfect for summer mornings.

After that, the magic takes over. It develops with a powdery, velvet feeling given by the rose and vanilla is doing her job too, with all its coziness and sensuality subtones.

Last, but not least, because it`s a Guerlain fragrance you can find the tipical vibe in it, maybe due to the perfect smokey leather and lovely woody notes.

Sillage and longevity are both great!
This may be the classiest scent for men, but for a woman sure is the secret weapon of seduction. Wear it with passion!

Thomaso7
Thomaso7

A musty ripe citrus with a bit of vanilla. Throw in some roses and the smell of light woods and cinnamon.
It's kinda a dressy perfume, and it is a bit extroverted - what I mean is it is opulent and bright.
It's not a dirty or musky scent. All the notes are uppity notes (no dark musky, dirty, smoky notes), but there is that musty nuance and woodsy-ness with what must be the vanilla giving it a slight syrupy flavor.
It is not so light and fresh to be the best in heat summer day, it is better in moderate temps and works well if overcast.
When I first used it, I thought it was nice because of the unique scent of lemon, cinnamon, and the candy shop type vibe to it. Not fresh, but not dirty either.

orestes

Try eau de parfum! Are more heavy,more stronger,long lasting than eau de toillete.For winter cold nights i prefer eau de parfum

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

A milestone of classic masculine perfumery. Citrus head notes rich in noble and discreet refinement (miles away any idiotic "summery" Fanta-like citrus notes) with herbs, lavender, a soft and slightly warm, carnal, almost sticky leather note which honestly smells almost like castoreum to me, then cozy woods (sandalwood), carnation, rose, vanilla. Austere, dusty, slightly gloomy, surely uncompromising. A classic and straightforward gentleman's cologne. Beautiful and perfectly crafted, to be honest its animalic-leathery dustiness gets a bit cloying after a while and in my opinion there is some other classic scents which "survived" better and smell more versatile and modern (think of Derby, Eau Sauvage, Mouchoir pour Monsieur, Vetiver by Guerlain...), but that is a matter of personal taste – as a scent itself it's just a pillar!

(my review is based on a vintage bottle from the mid-80s)

Citrus2014
Citrus2014

Euphoric, voluptuous, "french", correctly described earlier as a fragrance of happiness and victory. For me this scent reflect the french lifestyle.
I wear rarely, because, according to current standards, would spark smiles :)

Sillage 8/10
Repurchase: No

DULAC de La Clauze
DULAC de La Clauze

I had met this young woman, Francesca. She was blessed with an immaculate blond complexion and adopted HABIT ROUGE as her signature scent.

Francesca was a smoker (Dunhill's); I ordinarily despise the stench of cigarette, it is dull from a distance and becomes sharp and "abrasive" when close. And yet, I loved how Habit Rouge and nicotine complimented each-other, once they had settled down on her skin...

Uncanny.

martindhunt
martindhunt

lemonfreshman: loved your review. I now think of this as my "happy" fragrance - it's so true. Just smelling it makes me smile.

lemonfreshman
lemonfreshman

Forget everything you've heard about this one. This is quite simple. This is the smell of happiness, sunshine, and victory. I don't think it's only for men. I don't think it's just for the older crowd. This is one of the finest fragrances ever conceived and it is for everyone. It somehow reminds me of an endless blissful summer. It is a fragrance for the "summer of the soul", even in winter.

With that said, try before you buy.

The EDT opens with a smooth vanilla-rosewood citrus burst and retains its character for several hours with simply becoming smoother and mellower, a touch powdery. Some people's skin might turn this too powdery so beware.

Otakar Ishar
Otakar Ishar

@ pour homey

Ok, thank you.

Pour Homey
Pour Homey

@Yohji
I'm a dog yo, no cat!
But I agree, no boundaries on Habit Rouge.

Hate it though, when a lady snatches away a vintage male perfume before my wet nose. Makes me wanna bark.

Yohji
Yohji

I Am bloody tired from ageism and chauvinism! Habit Rouge..Being a woman I WAS wearing it from my 20-s and will be wearing BEFORE my 40-s. Its perfect for EVERYONE, who has brain, nose, imagination, intelligence and just common sense.
"perfect for men over 40!"
"classical perfume for men over 45"
hmmm
I also like Bel Ami, Cacharel Homme, many others...dont be pathetic, guys, marking the territory as a cat

veies.rr
veies.rr

After all those years Habit Rouge still remains a beautiful classical fragrance for men over 40. I prefer personally the EDP version which is a powerful and oriental fragrance for day and evening and for colder days. The longevity is on my skin very long lasting and the sillage is absolutely heavy but in a pleasant way. I like in particular the warm oriental notes combined with smoky, leathery, cinnamon and rose nuances. One spray will do for the whole day. Absolutely a masterpiece by Guerlain.

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

4.5 from 5 - (Vintage) 95P (out of 100) - fresh custard - The original is outstanding and one of world's best classic perfumes. Unique, sweet custard with lemon and vanilla, some sweetness seems to be female, but is not floral, the drydown become more and more male, like custard's one if prepared from foamed eggs, some protein scent. The kind of HR's structure recalls Guerlain Vétiver, though being much more complex. Excellent drydown and longevity. What makes the vintage so outstanding, is the perfectly congruent development from top to heart, like a sonata form with the themes not being strongly varified or even converted. Luca Turin described HR's nutshell as "sweet dust", and this also is dead-on. A mysterious sweet dust. Look for the vintage, and it will give you a perfect scent and some feeling of good old times.

rafaelollero
rafaelollero

Classic, Elegant
For Women too

fuggerone
fuggerone

Citrus woody vanillic, the first batches were heavier, thicker and rounder...last version extremely toned down..if you can get your hand on first versions you will have a tridimensional experience

shahab.zaidi

Two things I want to say as a loyal user of this Gem.
Habit Rouge has nothing to do with shalimar and second this is not a unisex or feminine fragrance.I am astonished why do people compare it with Shalimar or unisex.
This is a pure masculine class. This is for a man who is polite and respects others with generosity. period

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

EDT review:

Habit Rouge opens with a generic blend of sweet citrus and herbs before going through a weird lemon Skittle phase, but eventually dries down to something charmingly reminiscent of a tucked-away curio shop: African masks and idols carved from scented woods, artisan soaps, hand-tooled leather goods, essential oils, and imported incense. Frankly, I can't see how this smooth, polished scent is supposed to evoke the equestrian sports (other than the clean leather note), as there's nothing particularly musky, dirty or earthy about Habit Rouge.

I initially sampled this after hearing it's a more gender-neutral Shalimar, but after a few testings, I'm of the opinion that it presents more like Samsara's stately older brother.

Smooth and well-balanced with an undeniable Old World charm, Habit Rouge is best suited to the type of well-dressed, genial gentlemen who regale you with tales of their exotic travels at dinner parties. Quality stuff.

scentence
scentence

Habit Rouge Edp, just like a picture saves you a thousand words, HR Edp has a deep and charismatic aura it gives your persona. Strictly for the man bold enough to stand out in the crowd not for followers of scents for mass appeal

trying to extract!
it is something else .. something oriental and powerful inputs

essaye l'extrait !!!
c'est autre chose..quelque chose de trées oriental et puissant

livio.marucci
livio.marucci

This is not modern!

This is not popular!

This is not for ordinary men!

Habit Rouge is a gentleman who is sure of his nobility. And he makes it up for his reputation. He has extraordinary quality, beauty and artistic meaning. He starts with a strong closed citrus, mixed with a marvelous rose, a light tune of vanilla, exotic wood and a hint of leather. As time passes citrous gets lighter, vanilla shows up its power blended with this beautiful rose and the expensive leather, relating himself to a honored knight. He lasts about 12 hours or more like a true warrior. Projection? Strong for 4 hours or more, just like he was sure of his purpose. He is straight to his values and goals. HR is the only EDT I tried in my whole life (I had smelled many colognes and perfumes) that presents a sensation of a heroic indomitable will from a golden age. He wouldn't have a doubt about sacrificing his life in order to save yours. He, just like Captain America, is above trend or fashion. And for that reason he is undervalued and misunderstood for most of the "modern" people. But he is sure of his strength and identity however our current western civilization is not.
We lost our values for the money. We keep our race for fame and success ignoring people around us needing our help. We killed our heroes. We killed the heroes inside of our hearts.
In a world like ours, it is very easy finding a piece of art like Habit Rouge being treated like a boring, ordinary and old fashion. Nevertheless WE ARE THE ONE WHO CHANGED, not our heroes. We live in a grey shade of morals and reproduce it... so maybe if you intend to be part of this, it would be better keeping it up with your contemporary styled 1 Million.

pdubrogers
pdubrogers

To me this smells modern (new formulation) and in the same vein as Egoiste. Again the Rose and leather I assume, but I like this better. It's fresher/soapy and more relevant in my opinion. Not a buy for me but definitely could be a signature scent for someone because it seems multifaceted and could be worn year round. The leather in this is quite smooth w/out being animalic.

kanak
kanak

Habit Rouge is one of those fragrances that are so well blended I have trouble picking apart individuel notes. Granted being an ex smoker, my nose is not the most sensitive to nuances and hence is probably not upto the task of analyzing a masterpiece like HR and a Masterpiece it is!! This is a fragrance I have smelled all my life and always on mature, sophisticated, well traveled,"been there, done that, wrote the book" Men. Wear HR with confidence or dont wear it all because this fragrance has been around for so long, it has probably seen more of the world than you or I have. Also this is a fragrance that requires a slightly experienced nose to appreciate far more than say an average person just looking for a nice frag due to the complexity of the notes. you need to be able to pick apart the notes a little bit and know what you are smelling to really appreciate this classic. For the longest time growing up, all I could smell was a nice smelling blob. different notes hit me at different times depending on weather and humidity. If you have not smelled Habit Rouge before and your experience/ love extends only to fruity fresh/aquatic calone types of frags, Habit Rouge would not be a safe blind buy though I whole heartedly recommend you try it. It might just open up a whole new world of smell.
Habit Rouge is a perfume that requires your nose first grow up and then grow into...hence probably more suitable for 35 years and above although if you are younger and can appreciate it, more power to you. I have stolen sprays from my dad's bottle over the years but somehow never felt sure enough about pulling this off until now to get my own bottle. Go easy on the trigger on this one as projection and sillage are monstrous and can easily become a cloying blob if you're not careful. 2-3 sprays max and you are party to a distinguished beautiful progression from citrus to balsamic woods and rose to finally ambery leather and vanilla with hints of quite a few other notes poking through. Longevity is excellent, 9 hours plus on skin and pretty much forever on cloth. On a side note, my bottle came in a beautiful red leather case with wool lining inside and Guerlain 1965 written on the side. Just like the fragrance inside, PURE CLASS. A true Legend.
9.5/10

lorensiuswlt
lorensiuswlt

Scent of old men..;d. I bought the EDT version for my beloved father as a birthday gift. I got the vintage version (the liquid is more orange/golden). I got citrus/orange on top notes, sandalwood from middle notes and vanilla + other warm notes from base notes. I think this is perfect for mature man (40 and over) who wants to smells clean, fresh and also warm & creamy. Longevity is very good for an EDT. Sprayed it on my wrist at 9 pm but still get the whiff of it when i was working out at the gym in the morning. Sillage is also good, you can smell the scent from 1 meter.

Redbeard
Redbeard

Habit Rouge is trying so hard to maintain a saccharine smile that it becomes strained and abrasive. The orange and vanilla top always makes me think of those Creamsicle pops. There's a glimmer of hope as a bit more wood makes itself apparent, but it just can't escape the stiflingly thick red curtain of talcum powder, orange peel, and something anisy. There's also a trace of the skunky, salty kitchen-spice component that bothers me in things like Wellington and Blenheim Bouquet, even though HR is in such a different family from these. Overall, it's an unnatural, unpleasant combination of heterogenous notes that is completely inappropriate for me.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

Review Of The EDP.

After a slight citrus in the opening you get a very complex array of notes that gradually unfurl over the next several hours. Florals, leather, woods, vanilla and even a dash of oud this scent has it all.

Though it is not as powdery as the EDT it a very dense and a little bit muddled. There is just too much going on at times. It smells better in some phases of it's life than others depending I guess on your taste.

Now what lets this scent down for me is the very very poor projection. I mean it can only really be smelled if you bury your nose where you have sprayed it. Making the whole point of wearing a fragrance mute.

I would highly recommend anyone coming to Habit Rouge for the first time to check out the flanker Habit Rouge L' Eau. Which smells very modern and may I say wonderful in it's floral woody freshness.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

"Habit Rouge", the quintessential dapper 'old man' fragrance.

Clean, fresh soapy citrus on top of a rugged patchouli and leather, with faint smoky traces of oakmoss. At times I detect hints of honey, but that might be down to the sweetness of the vanilla.

You could call this 'Shalimar for men' I suppose, especially when you compare the many shared notes, but texturally they are very different. The emphasis here is definitely on the the freshness and the leather. It's not powdery or as densely sweet as "Shalimar".

I have to say, I think it smells rather dated. Certainly not for young men, unless he wears loafers and dinner jackets, but otherwise a very sophisticated scent.

Jose Marcos
Jose Marcos

I have just received my bottle of Habit Rouge EDT, batch 3Q01 from March 2013, and if the previews versions were better than this one, then it was just made for Heaven and not for human noses whatsoever. Habit Rouge, as a trait of a real Guerlain, opens strongly like Shalimar EDP. Vanilla gets more intense and the added citrus notes make a shift to Eau de Shalimar. All that in a blink of an eye. Then carnation and citrus remind me a lot of a much better version of my actual bottle of Eau Sauvage, and also Boucheron Homme EDP. Most of the notes are the same, and they also follow the same path but in different bays. Eau Sauvage is the most citric of them all. Boucheron is the more aromatic with carnation and rose leaning towards feminine just a bit. However, Habit Rouge has it all, it's a Guerlain and their DNA is the ultimate factor. Habit Rouge is indeed a Shalimar for Men. For those men who are not at ease by wearing a woman's scent just because the label says so. In HR they can feel at home. Well, sort of. That's if you like florals, and are not afraid of them. Rose, carnation and jasmin form one of the forces that hold HR together. The others are the citrus accord, the woody notes, the spices, the sweet vanillas and the leather tone. All these groups are together, side by side, creating their own circles and emanating their waves to the others making HR something like a quadrophonic symphony marring the best piece of music with the best performers with the best technicque and the best acoustics ever assembled together. And that's the present reformulated EDT. I just seem to be unable to separete what's top, middle and base notes, perhaps because I am really breathless. At the end of the show you don't go home on your own. Right after everything has faded, there's still this beautiful lady in your arms. You are going to wake up by her side next morning. Her name is Shalimar.

orestes

Pronose: All fragrances refolmulated after 10-15 years,for many reasons! ingridients banned by ifra,cheaper ingridients replace others,some ingridients is difficult to find it after so many years as the first formulation etc,i am 43 years old and i dont like the reformulations,especialy in paco rabbanne pour homme(was my favorite scent)but i accept that everything changed after so many years! people died and born,countries change borders,medicine and science change and innovate every day! why fragrances must stay unchanged? I accept the reality,all changed in life,even classic fragrancs!

pronose

stop re formulating great scents! this one smells like a fake now thanks to mr.wasser and his blocked nose and to guerlain! shame on you

Blutengel
Blutengel

I got the EDP and EDT, 'nuff written on the grandeur of the EDT here. The EDP however is slightly different, more wintery and to me the perfect missing link between Habit Rouge EDT & Heritage EDT. Godly liquid it is...

Chirn
Chirn

2010 EDT

Citrus, powdery , vanilla around Carnation.
Soft clean musky leather.
I do not get a stark rose note.
Carnation is the floral here to my nose, spicy, powdery and delicate.
There is much more going on in support, but never getting in the way.

Projects really well, lasts a good while.
10/10 for me.
A classic must have

happyscent
happyscent

Guerlain Habit Rouge edt - this has a great opening, bright and then the drydown you get the clean powdery scent, I smell violet leaf or lilac but this another recommended scent and I think full bottle worthy; this is similar to paco rabanne pour homme but habit rouge has lighter touch to it which I like

nero77
nero77

Incredible stuff...

Habit Rouge is to me, what either Shalimar or Chanel No: 5 would smell like if they were in masculine form.

As with all Guerlain perfumes... This was not one I liked upon first spray (just for reference, when I first tried Shalimar and Jicky they initially smelt of urine and Vetiver reminded me of ageing old men), however upon repeated wearings I have come to love ALL of these fragrances and now consider them absolute masterpieces in perfumery. Habit rouge was no exception to this rule. when I first applied it to myself it screamed "Old Lady", that was the first thing that I thought of. I was disappointed. It actually opened up with a citrus-lemon blast which was quite sharp (a lot like Shalimar), and then the leather and vanilla got me thinking about Talcum Powder. Another thing which came to my mind was "oh, this smells like lemon cake!", and I still kinda get that vibe, although now I can pick out and recognise the notes a lot better.

Needless to say, upon repeated wearings, my appreciation for this masterpiece has grown and grown. To me this strikes an impression as being very aristocratic, and I can totally get the elite, upper-class equestrian vibe. I think it fits it very well. At the same time, it really does dry down to something wonderful. The leather, citrus and vanilla become wonderfully balanced as the fragrance progresses. Typically for Guerlain, the drydown is never like the opening, and it's an almost completely different fragrance by the end.

Is it modern? Well, the word "modern" is subjective... but what I would say, is that it's "timeless". This has an appeal and quality that you won't find on many fragrances today. It's very refined, and you need to appreciate it's quality to wear this. That being said, I think anyone can wear this, male, female, old and young. As a reference, it certainly has "Rockstar Quality" to it (for example both Keith Richards and Madonna wear this) so take from that what you will.

In regards to this being "feminine" for a man to wear? Keith Richards said that women went crazy for him once he started wearing this, and now that I think about it, the sharp citrus and smooth leather definitely makes quite an entrance, it's not floral enough to be mistaken for a typical feminine. Another word this is described as is "powdery", and yes, I did get that (I think Luca Turin summed it up nicely by referring to Habit Rouge as "sweet dust"). But the more you wear it, the more you feel more comfortable wearing it, and that gives you power, because not everyone will smell like this, and you'll feel confidant in making that statement. That being said, this would definitely make an impression at very formal occasions (this was released in 1965, think "Mad Men" and you get the picture), but in my opinion it could certainly be worn casually enough in any other setting.

Overall, a real classic. At first, it can take real balls to wear this one, even though it's marketed towards men. But when you really get used to it, you find that it is so elegant, so refined and so very beautiful that it really becomes a part of you. It has definitely grown on me! These old Guerlains really wear me out in the beginning, but once they get going on your skin throughout the whole life of each fragrance... My God, my God, sheer class, the elegance they possess! I actually want everyone to try this one out. Habit Rouge, they don't make anything like this any more, but what a transformation! Truly an eye opening experience... and highly recommended, if at least once in your life.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

There's two Guerlain frag's that I must have...during the summer I can't get enough of Vetiver and during the fall and winter days is Habit Rouge.
Habit Rouge has a real heightened mix of floral (rose)/bergamot/lime which comes across AMAZING and SOPHISTICATED. The base notes of rosewood/sandalwood with amber and a hint of vanilla gives this fragrance a full bodied OPULENT feel when you wear it.
I have had so many compliments ever time I wear this fragrance..everyone thinks it's a really expensive cologne and it's worth acquiring it if you can find it in your area.
Both longevity and Silage are very long...I only need to spray it once and I can still smell it after I've returned home.
Overall thoughts,
I can really appreciate good quality frag and Habit Rouge is just that and more. Several years ago (10yrs) I wouldn't of considered this fragrance...It is definitely a CLASSIC in every way possible. I would only wish that the fragrance that come out now will endure as long as this one has. No way would switch this frag with what's out now. ★★★★★ top rating 10/10 it's absolutely worth it without a doubt...a MUST HAVE

SHERIF SAYED
SHERIF SAYED

This classic #fragrance is very complex and difficult to understand or analyze its components easily and this is what explains the genius of old schools in the #perfume industry .

Na0
Na0

One of the best Guerlain ever, which is, originally, one of the best mainstream houses, period.

exciter76
exciter76

I know some women feel uncomfortable wearing fragrances designated for men. There are some scents that feel too masculine, either by past associations or by standard men’s fragrance conventions (the use of ‘fresh’ ingredients, aromatics, et cetera). Then there are some fragrances for men that beg to be snagged by the girls, much like a classic crisp white button-down shirt (and wearing nothing else, because this is flat out sexy).

To me, Habit Rouge is the most timeless of fashion pieces. It’s at once fresh and powdery, dated and of-the-moment. HR begins with a strong lemony freshness and a touch of suede. It is quite lovely, but it only gets better with the passing hours. HR’s drydown is one of the most sublime, with a base that rivals Shalimar’s iconic vanillic base. It is absolutely decadent and delicious! In typical Guerlain fashion, this phase seemingly lasts forever, and how glad I am for that.

Any woman who turns her nose up at this wonderful scent is sincerely missing out on a masterpiece—it would be equivalent to snubbing a chance to wear a classic Rolex watch simply because it is designated a men’s timepiece. I would love to smell this on a man but I’d never want to share a bottle with him.

darren1
darren1

I love it, an I'm as manly as they come. Trussardi uomo, fendi uomo, yatagan, aramis, dali pour homme, any powerhouse suits me just fine. As does habit rouge. Much more refined, its a guerlain for crying out loud. A bit powdery, but nothing like the barron. The review below me is a bit upsetting. Not because of his word choices, but simply because he doesn't like it! Read the reviews, you're mostly alone in that opinion .

craniumbash
craniumbash

Finally bought a bottle of the EDT and to my surprise I got an attar which smells exactly like the base of Habit Rouge EDT. Now habit rouge is quite a strong perfume, both heady and projection wise and very balmy. I'm thinking of mixing it up with some of my woodier fragrances maybe the pungent encre noir.

EDIT:- To the reviewer above @darren1, people have different tastes in things which doesn't make one greater than the other. And as you say I'm alone in this then I'd rather be alone instead of stupidly liking something which I might actually not find to my taste, because that would make me a retarded brand who** looking for social acceptance. And secondly I never stated that I did not like this perfume so mind I say please learn to read properly before you start pointing out things with what little brain cells you have left :)

Thank you.

allegro_barbaro
allegro_barbaro

My husband wear this and on him it is the sexiest, smoothest, warmest perfume ever. Citrus, powdery amber and oudh grrrrrrr. It just melds into his skin and makes me want to eat him. So much so that I won't let him wear it when he is not in my presence. It just wouldn't be fair.

pronose

where is the original ???? they reormulated again and they ruined another great scent!!!!! rubbish policy by lvmh the new owner of the house of guerlain!!!!! only the name remain the same!

app9
app9

I formed a slight fixation with HB earlier this year. I had never smelled it, but something just made me think, that it would be a perfume for me. Oh boy was I right. First spray of this on my wrist by the Guerlain counter, (after a lovely chat with the perfume lady,) and I was in love.

It's un-apologetic, strong, independent, mysterious and oozes that certain eroticism. Like someone, who acts with dignity and has good, gentle manners, but secretly likes it dirty and rough while being in control. And it's gorgeous on a lady. On me the leather, vanilla and green notes stand out. It smells like India, forests, smoke and books. I can only imagine how it used to be before the reformulation. It's intelligent, but a little bad. And once you get past the crazy sharp and almost pungent citrus beginning, it's smoooooooth and velvety all the way.

I want a man, who smells like this, but until that I can be my own lord and mistress. That's what Habit rouge is all about.

Razvan
Razvan

Distinguished & refined.

aucffan1

All Gerlains are realy good if you ask me.. This one is no different..

A little lemony blast in the beginning than hours of clean beautiful Man-ly vibes being sent out to the ladies saying you mean business..

I just got a sample of Heritage EDP from Guerlain's Boutique in Toronto recently and I gotta say Habit Rougue has that kind of quality..

10 out of 10.

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

I have smell all the ranges from EDT to Parfum extrait..the one that attract me most is the EDP. The edt comes out citrusy with barber shop smell. then the sweet dust appear...the whole process takes 30 minutes to hours depending on skin and weather...

the edp on the other hand is just ..citrusy barber shop smell for a bout one or two minutes ..then poof..the sweet dust mixed with barber shop smell...

the parfum is straight sweet dust with the barbershop smell..

of all the smell which i loved best is the sweet dust mixed with the barbershop smell....i bought 3 bottles of them EDP..just to make sure that any changes by whatever reason i have it..Secondly , i have used both the edt and edp...with edp a shopkeeper approached me twice ask me how to smell nice like me....which i told her is habit rouge edp..that is all it takes to smell nice

as for the parfum , i feel that edp have the nuances of parfum..thus i have to be patient for a few minutes to have the extrait smells...thus it is economically more sound

bjornkeizers
bjornkeizers

Oh my oh my… what a treat to wear this! I blind bought (!) the EDP version after a year of reading reviews and pondering whether or not it'd work on me. I don't own the EDT, so this was quite the gamble.

I am a fan of Guerlain's EDP's and this one is, in my opinion, a great one next to the venerable LIDGE. Whereas LIDGE is a clear gourmand, Habit Rouge EDP is a bit harder to nail down.

It opens with citrus and almost has a bit of 'bug spray' in the first opening. For me, the citrus never really fades and stays with me until the end, which is a loooong ways away with the EDP. It develops into a lovely deep mix that blends a lot of my favourite notes and aspects of fragrances. It's sweet, it's fresh, it has wood and leather, it smells manly when you want it to… but the overall feeling I get is happiness in a bottle.

What I like is the truly slow progression between the top, middle and bottom notes. It's certainly not like some scents where you can almost hear a click when moving from one phase to the other. Straight from the opening, you can peer deep into its heart and pick out the base notes. And when it should be ending, there's that whiff of citrus again.

I applied it with a heavy finger (three sprays) and it didn't outlast its welcome in terms of silage bombing any room that I walk into. It's noticeable but I didn't get any complaints. So far so good.

hamtoo
hamtoo

At first wearing of this version of Habit Rouge I thought I already wore one very similar. It take me some time to discover which one was. Although there are differences, this scent is similiar to the Dior Eau Sauvage original version from 1966. Checking on Fragrantica I saw that both have in common three notes in the opening (lemon, basil and bergamot), five notes at the heart (jasmine, patchouli, rose, carnation and sandalwood) and two base notes (oakmoss and amber). I do not know what notes take HR more to the floral side in the drydown, nor what notes maintains ES more in the citric scent. It is interesting that, in my opinion, although HR has more citric notes, ES smells more citric until the end than HR. All in all, I'm very impressed by the similarity between this two juices. I never tried the HR version from 1965. As it is not registered in Fragrantica, I cannot know if it had so many notes in common with ES from 1966.

amartia
amartia

What a nice scent! although seems old-ish scent, but old-ish in a classic way. It's an elegant cologne. Sillage and projection are excellent, but i don't know if my nose has a problem or this parfume's longevity is bad. Only last 3-4 hour on me. By the way, my HR is vintage one.

Denica
Denica

Sophisticated, elegant, unusual and classic at the same time. A true pleasure to be in the company of a man who wears it.

shahab.zaidi

This is just not a perfume, this is a story. It has emotions, Feelings and most of all, Devotion. Nostalgic and Evocative. HR all the time reminds me an old age era, the paintings of kings and Queens or a regal chunks such as Napoleon.
Dry Down portraits a beautiful but sad evening.I am already on fourth bottle. Eternal Love.

swimr8
swimr8

I know Luca loves this but it's just too sweet for me, and powerful. It's one of the few scents I can still smell on myself all day. If I pick up a shirt from the laundry pile, it's still there days later.

Like CK One, it never lets up. The citrus lemon-lime up top leaves quickly, but the orange powder, leather, vanilla, myrrh thing goes on forever. It feels cloying to me. Seems like the middle never ends and gets to the basenotes.

herreroph
herreroph

Excellent, it's a marterpiece.
I love it.
Rose and woods, I can smell so kind of sweet soft oud here, well balanced.
9.6/10

lovetribe
lovetribe

i buy this today.
a classic with note of rose,vanilla and benzoine.
i'm not impressed but is a good scent to work.
incredible sillage and longevity.good also on women.
vote 6/10.

Cassiano
Cassiano

You need to understand a little bit of the Guerlain universe to begin to familiarize yourself with their fragrances rich in powdery nuances divinely well dosed between male and female.

Its original version was launched in 1965 and later reorchestrated (in this case, fits better than reformulated) in 2003 when, I believe, gained wider exposure.

The aroma was made to remind of the Lords in their mounts, the scent of leather boots and the haughty posturing of their horses. And the scent is unique!
At the first spray, you can already notice a citric aroma of orange, tangerine, lemon, basil and bergamot, with a touch of rosewood. Then, comes a dry and rasping air, without moisture, composed by notes of rose, jasmine and carnation, merged with rich spices such as cinnamon and patchouli with a light touch of sandalwood. At the base, leather, balsam of labdanum, oakmoss and a touch of creaminess - to ease the burning in the nostrils - with vanilla and benzoin.

Habit Rouge does, even the most timid of men, appear to be a Don Juan. Its aroma is audacious and imposing, as it should be a great race horse.

If there is a scent that depicts the time of mounts, the partridges huntings, the Royal of yore and keeps us in a portal between past and present, this is Habit Rouge.

rajeev
rajeev

if any vanilla n rose fragrance had to make a man feel masculine n confident, then it's HABIT ROUGE. it's mouth watering n delicious. complex n deep. definitely not a child's play.
it's absolutely love at first spritz.

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

You know you have grown up when you start to like mature perfumes like this masterpiece. Getting older and wiser. I used to hate this perfume... I tried it once when I was like 21 and Yuck!! Now I am 27, just tried it today and fell in love!

Habit rouge teaches you about perfume bases... They are so well defined, I was shocked! It starts out citrussy... Every kind of citrusses are in the mixture, so fresh, so pleasant, and kinda remind me of Dior homme cologne. Phase 2 is where the magic begins. The carnation dominates along with the cinnamon, while the rose sends out whiffs from time to time... This phase reminded me of Mitsouko oddly... It's really like the men's version of Mitsouko! Powdery, Flowery and Powerful! Phase 3 is where the leather comes in the mixture with some woody notes. By then, the citrusses have completely disappeared. Vanilla and amber are also highly present. Strange is the world of perfumery. A highly concentrated EDT With tons of notes, just feel easy and classy and not overpowering or too much.

Habit rouge is wearable all year long, day or night... It's just never too much... There are citrusses, flowers, spices, woods... It's like having 10 different perfumes in one! Who needs more?

With habit rouge, I am convinced now that guerlain is my favorite perfume house, hands down!

RozzerX
RozzerX

Classy and mature scent, simply loving it. I can also feel old spice vibe in it. Great for fall and winters, recommended.

ropb2982
ropb2982

Has nobody noticed the violet in this? As soon as i spray this i get a violet overload, well at least alpha ionone and beta ionone! It truly is a gorgeous masculine fragrance! I love it from beginning to end which on me is about 8 hours. I will most definitely but again.

stathis
stathis

A really unique perfume.For me it's one of the best perfumes ever.Simply a masterpiece.Long lasting and definately for men over 30.

sagarjanvekar
sagarjanvekar

The magic synergy in Habit Rouge, a combination of resins and tree gums such as benzoin and opoponax, creates the photographic effect of a hazy glow all around the subject in an old black & white photograph. These resinous scents have the ability to deepen the voice, the equivalent of a lion's growl reverbrating over many kilometres to effortlessly mark its territory. Those elements form the basic oriental core of this formal, somewhat flamboyant but ultimately humanly sensual fragrance, lifted by traditional citrus notes in the opening (lemon, bergamot and mandarin) to mirror the idea in Shalimar, deepened with the spicy notes of cinnamon and carnation and burnised by the pungency of a little leather, which takes on suede smoothness rather than harsher or fetichistic nuances of hard-core leather fragrances. The whole smells like sweet orange talc, powdery and somewhat sweet.
Habit Rouge is mature and dense, yes, but such a wonderful aristocratic classic that its acquaintance simply should be made by younger generations.

pronose

nothing to do with the original formula!!!!! guerlain has reformulated this and others scents and it's a shame!!!!! we buy fake scents by guerlain!

@Go4broke: That's why I like it! :-D

Go4broke
Go4broke

Has no-one mentioned how powdery this is? I respect this scent but I do not love it. Very old fashioned. Powdery soap.

There's something so enticing, confusing and frankly overwhelming about this scent. I tried it a couple of years ago and thought 'woah! that's potent stuff!' But it felt too old for me. Now that I have it I'm still not sure about it? I wanted something different for my collection a potent go to fragrance that was a little more sophisticated and older to add some depth and it certainly does that.
Something about it (maybe the floral notes) just make me think feminine, but everytime I start to think that the more I sniff O find I get the strength and masculinity coming through which balances it.
The notes are so varied and well blended some are easy to pick out, others not so easy but make it a truly bewildering mixture.
One thing I know for sure...it's strong as a motherfucker and as some others have mentioned, beware not to over spray. I did 3 squirts to my neck and chest and initially it knocks you out!! Really!!! The scent out of the bottle is massive and does have an almost medicinally harsh quality probably takes a couple of hours to settle down and certainly gets nicer.
With other fragrances I normally get more of the basenotes, (woods or what have you) in the dry down but this changes very little (after the initial harshness of course) and I get the same throughout, but it's more and more pleasant as it mellows.
For me personally...I have no idea when would be an appropriate time to wear this?
I needed the variation in my collection so it's only a good thing that I have it in my arsenal I think maybe crisp winter days as it has inherent warmth to it.
One thing is for sure you're not going to smell like your average joe in this.

petrus
petrus

Shalimar pour hommes

Senteur 10/10 La version masculine de Shalimar. Il s'agit d'une rose, au début citronnée puis baignant dans une fougère élégante cuirée et vanillée remarquablement équilibrée. Usage hivernal en ville recommandé, de jour comme de nuit. Plus élégant que Ungaro III il apparaît aussi moins sexué sans doute.

Sillage 2/2 Parfaitement en accord avec sa composition : il est réel sans pour autant apparaître trop invasif à condition de ne pas trop en mettre.

Longévité 2/2. Relativement tenace.

Masculinité 1.5/2 Sa ressemblance avec Shalimar lui confère un côté féminin que certes vient compenser la fougère. Le côté confortable de ce parfum lui enlève quelque peu de sa virilité, qu'il conviendra de réhausser par ailleurs.

Evolution 4/4. C'est un plaisir de voir ce citrus raffiné et puissant se convertir en un cuir racé aux multiples facettes qui se dévoilent différentes à chaque resporation ou presque, tandis que la rose, toujours discrète persiste à se manifester. Feux d'artifice olfactif garanti, pour peu qu'on se donne la peine d'être patient : c'est un parfum qui s'apprend. Et il est important aussi de bien le doser, sinon l'évolution ne se fait pas. L'autre jour, j'en ai mis trop et c'était en définitive bien grossier : le cuir doit laisser sa place peut à peu à une vanille en s'adoucissant de plus en plus.

NOTE 19.5/20 Chef d'Oeuvre.

(dernière mise-à-jour, le 18 septembre 2013)

AntonisZ
AntonisZ

Habit Rouge takes you by the hand or the neck or wherever else you have applied it and delivers you to a safe haven of balmy rose and vanilla sensuality.

There's just one condition: do not over-apply it. Just a couple sprays on the neck are enough to grant you that magical transportation to an ocean of tranquility and sweetness.
Talking about sweetness, it's not a sweet smelling perfume as many have wrongly judged it. Thanks to its strange formulation Habit Rouge "fools" you with that creamy vanilla and balmy rose until it traps you in its heart of leather and woody layers. Then you know that you have reached to that safe destination of calm reassurance and comfort.

Habit Rouge EDT was a blind-buy for me and I applied completely unaware of its complex and intriguing character. I also made a huge mistake by over-applying it. It took me days to decide to try it again. Then one night I sprayed it only twice on my chest and went to bed. After the first citric blast, I felt the gentle layers of smooth vanilla delivering me to a rose garden. So gentle and soothing. The perfect aromatherapy for the night after a stressful day.

Needless to say that after that revelation, Habit Rouge has become my secret night companion, especially when I crave for a transfer into a place of comfort and tranquility.

My rating: 9/10

morinaga787
morinaga787

Apply and you will be in balmy rose garden.If you love to be more sober and soft.

manzoor86
manzoor86

rose and rose wood,
is their any other note,
if you want a fragrance for casual wears in winters you demand longevity and silage and you love to be highlighted,
this is the stuff you needed,
one of my friend says it makes you sit before the books but i have not felt anything like this in it,its a clean happy scent,it sticks with you all day long,and never turns into a sad ending,i call it the royal perfume,must try it its a great fragrance.

ian85

@ laantjebanaantje : "Habit Rouge smells just like a hippie shop".
It's the first time I read such an opinion about Habit Rouge. I'm very happy Jean Paul Guerlain didn't read it, because I think it's a total misinterpretation, perhaps a nonsense about his work...I have nothing against a hippie shop, but it has nothing to do with "le cadre noir de Saumur" which could have been the context of this fragrance.
Patchouli de Réminiscence is a hippie fragrance, and I love it. But not at all Habit Rouge which I love in a different way!
But I agree this is a strange fragrance with such top notes, and the middle notes transition.
Masterpiece!

kenwylde
kenwylde

WARNING!!! Seriously. Listen: I have a three-bedroom 1800sq/ft. upper level apartment and 2 sprays to the chest and you can easily detect it at the front door, which is far away and one flight down. No lie. If over-applied, Habit Rouge becomes a projection and sillage monster. Think the Kraken. Think Leviathan. Think Godzilla. But oversweet, cloying, like a femme le fatale with the means and the game but no time. Think Emma Watson at 35 in high heels and a baretta in the garter. She's in a hurry. But not slutty. Not even a whiff of slutty. But, I digress.

Habit Rouge. One blast to the bare-skinned chest. Pull out your undershirt and spray it down there. Fix the shirt. Get dressed. You are the lord and master of your own domain. You are a formidable opponent and a lover to be reckoned with; the initiated know that you are not a joke, you are a force of nature, you are powerful, a giant, an elemental of manly nature; and, those whose path you cross, man or woman or beast, will, and I pray you pardon the crude expression, they will know that you are not f*cking around. No. You are not. You are there as a conqueror. You're there to win and you will not be denied. Mere mortals tremble beneath your stare.

Citrus blast, then rose and a creamy vanilla note with old leather that's been worn smooth by repeated use, but not dirty. Think fencing equipment, think trusses, utilitarian, something with which you gird your loins or wrap yourself for battle. But not a drop of filth in this juice. You are a king and you are a champion, you are a demigod and so you don't do your own laundry and you smell pretty damn good.

Lasts all day long, still detectable in the morning on both you and your clothes and your partner.
(review for EDT)

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

OVERALL RATING: * * * *

As I said in my review of Yatagan, I tend to sort fragrances into 3 categories:

1) Those I love and admire
2) Those I admire but do not love
3) Those I neither love nor admire.

Habit Rouge, like Yatagan, falls into the second category for me. It is an impressive and totally original fragrance. On the right person, it must be spectacular. On my skin, however, it immediately becomes sickeningly sweet, like a chemical preservative spilled in a candy factory. In fact, it is almost the polar opposite of Yatagan in this respect. Where Yatagan is earthy, vegetal and nutritious, Habit Rouge is all candy, cakes, and artificial sweeteners.

As I said, though, there is much to admire in Habit Rouge. It simply isn't for me.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

Habit Rouge is a strange perfume. The opening is incredibly hard on the nose. The citrus is so huge, so sharp, so screeching and high pitched I almost ran and washed it off.
But I percevered, knowing the sharp scent of desinfectant would eventually disappear. And I was right.
Underneath the citrus, the leather and vanilla hide, but begin to emerge slowly once the lemon mellows out.
I once owned a pair of leather sandals bought in a small hippie shop and the leather was infused with the smell of that shop. Incense, herbs and what not. I loved to sniff those sandals. I really enjoy the smell of those little hippie shops. They all smell the same, and so very comfortable.
Habit Rouge smells just like a hippie shop. Leather goods, incense in every scent imaginable, woods, clothes...
What a glorious combination! To my nose it's truly unisex, and very different from Shalimar.
I also don't think it's chique in any way. As you can imagine, I think it suits a barefoot long haired dreadlocked hippie better than a man in a handsome suit.
Now, if only I could get past that opening, I'd get me a bottle of Habit Rouge this instant. Maybe I should try and try again, untill I like it.

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

I just returned from vacation during which I purchased a 100ml bottle of Habit Rouge EDP in duty free. I always knew that one day I would own this. But I had to allow time for my tastes to mature to the point where I would truly appreciate it. That time has come. I tested it many times over the years, but this time, something just clicked and I knew I was going to love it. I wore it each day and for dinner in the evening and enjoyed the beautiful haunting aroma rising from my torso, my wife found it very masculine, sexy and classy. She would melt and go weak at the knees upon catching a whiff of this aroma in the evening breeze. It goes on thick and heavy with a deep creamy rich citrus and mellow spice, the mid gives way to a sexy vanilla on wood (so smooth) and the base has classical powdery Guerlainade. It has a 'Laird of the Manor' feel to it, imagine walking in the Scottish highlands and coming back to a log fire with rosy cheeks and enjoying a large glass of Lagavulin with the woman in your life, talking about times gone by... I am so glad that I was patient with this one. Years ago I dismissed it as old-manish and feminine, now the EDP has won me over hands down, and it will be one of my all-time favourites... I don't like to label fragrances but I consider this to be for a mature individual with well-established and refined taste. A beautiful masterpiece!

papillondoux
papillondoux

i had it , i did not like it but the people around me liked it

Scent mystery

If count Dracula wore a Fragrance, that would be Habit Rouge. without doubts....

pronose

sorry but it's not the one it used to be:! guerlain has changed the formula and the scent has lost all it's magic!!!!!!!

Greg1965
Greg1965

I got a sample of this yesterday and I thought I already had one. After spraying it on, I recalled that I DID have it but threw it away. The opening, I (sorry) hate...... and it "hurt my nose"... I even tried to wash it of immediately but that didn't work. I think the pathchouli is the bothereing scent for me. I started looking at more fragrences that I didn't like and there Always was patchouli in it and not in the background but realy noticable. So sadly a no go for me.

pdschrader
pdschrader

Sorry to say, after all the great reviews I read, that I ordered this and found it to be more feminine than most of the perfumes my wife wears. And she is very feminine. Too floral. It unfolds in a marvelous way, but is just not something I would see myself wear.

new friend
new friend

هناك عطور حيادية جميلة الرائحة ترضي أغلب الناس ولكن هذا يكون على حساب التميز والتفرد، عطر آبي روج أو هابيت روج ليس واحدا من هذا الصنف، فهو عطر غير حيادي له شخصيته وتوليفته الخاصة، ولهذا فستجد لهذا العطر وما يشابهه من العطور الغير حيادية المعجبين المولعين بها والكارهين النافيرين منها، وذلك لأن لها طبيعة خاصة من تلائمه وتتوافق معه سيهيم به عشقا وغزلا، ومن لا يتوافق معه سيكتب فيه المعلقات من الهجاء والذم

sussex2
sussex2

In my little perfumed kingdom I have assembled a triumvirate of what I consider almost perfect male fragrances: Dior Homme, Caron Pour un Homme and Guerlain's Habit Rouge. My favourite among the three is Habit Rouge. The richest suede slathered with the most delicious thick orange cream. Not the slightest hint of anything that could be considered distasteful. Unless, of course, one finds distaste in the overabundance of opulence.

Conjures images of the Palace of Versailles in the period just before the French Revolution. The nobility enjoying the greatest luxuries France had to offer; completely removed from the life of pain endured by the common masses. I hope, for the sake of my conscience, Habit Rouge is a victimless indulgence. I couldn't bear to give it up.

Note: I use the EDP version of this fragrance. At this concentration a small amount goes a long way. I have found two squirts gives sufficient radiance and lasts for at least eight hours.

Sandyke
Sandyke

I think I like this perfume. I don't know. It smells like soap after a while. But it's not disturbing. I think it fits better on older men. Strong, ambitious men who have some grey hair and a nice career. It reminds me of hunting, wolves and the past. It's like the older 'eau de colognes' from a long time ago. A little bit mysterious.

hegazy
hegazy

the edt is more wearable than edp which is too strong .

Klementina
Klementina

Habit Rouge edp
First sniff: Masterpiece!
Testing on skin: Masterpiece!
After 1-2 hour: Masterpiece!

Real men wear Habit Rouge, and a real woman sometimes use it too.

Padhee83
Padhee83

One of the most popular masterpiece from the house of Guerlain.It is a gentleman's perfume all right.Opens up with bright citruses mainly tart lemon and bergamot combo.Middle notes are some woods and finally settling into a powdery combination of leather,sandalwood & vanilla.The combination gives a powdery feel reminiscent of Emeraude by Coty & Shalimar.The leather from the scent gives it a little masculine edge.
Try wearing this on formal occasions with a tuxedo or a Armani suit.Cannot imagine high school guys and young guys used to aquatics & sport scents liking it.
Longevity is 8-10 hours and sillage for a good 5 hours on me with the Edt version.
Charming and unique with the signature Guerlain smell.Really nice but the only negative is that people associate this scent with grand dads.Not that I am complaining.I like it.

Maggie_Everk123
Maggie_Everk123

This fragrance is recommended for winter and for men 30+. It is a classic citrus scent joined by vanilla.

Scent mystery

This is a king of perfume world. I have used so many perfumes, bt did not find any thing like this. Aristocratic smell, densed floral with leather. Reflects an old age era. The queens, the kings and the dynasty. Dry down is out of the world and haunted. Reminds me of the blue hour, after the sunset and before the anticipation of dark night and thats make me sad.....

pronose

the new formula lost lots of lasting! and it's just a pale copy of it used to be!

Ddhuney
Ddhuney

This is a solid classic male fragrance. Probably a hallmark. It has a beautiful contrast between the refreshing citrus and warm woods. However in today's world it shows a bit vintage. I think it is better suited for the adult male.

amer1212
amer1212

Habit rouge says : no one before me and no one after me I am Only one at the top.
I can say after that One word
ITS A MASTERPIECE King of guerlain house 10/10.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

Of the 2003 release: Turin's review is on the mark, so nothing much to add to it. Closer to Jicky with some rose that seems almost pleasingly unfresh. Beautiful Guerlinade.

Of the supposed reform available in department stores à la 2013: it's cleaner than it was before, with an amber that seems almost pleasingly fresh. Closer to Shalimar or L'Heure Bleue. Beautiful Guerlinade.

It's still Guerlain.

d-d-d-drew
d-d-d-drew

I managed to score some Vintage Habit Rouge on Ebay for an incredible deal!

I was wary about all the comments regarding its powdery and vanilla characteristics since I really am not a fan of either, but maybe it has something to do with the vintage formula, that the other ingredients are rougher, truer versions than the current.

This is how it's done correctly. I mean, I detect the powder and vanilla, but I'm not choking on it. It rather plays out harmoniously with all the other spices, the cinnamon, florals (again, not a huge fan of), citrus, and resinous, woodsy, leather elements.

Learning a new word: Guerlainade.
Intoxicating. This works on me.

Once again, thanks to Smelly Beast for this recommendation. =)

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

This is a review about the new Habit Rouge edp

Its funny how we can change our mind over time.

I was never a great fan of Habit Rouge, I felt it was too dated and old, the citrus opening bored me and I couldn't get what the fuss was all about. That intrigued me a lot cause I lOVE leather scents.

But then I started to dig Guerlains chest of treasures and I met Jicky. Jicky is a lovely fougere oriental, it opens quite fresh and animalic with some civet and lavender, and slowly evolves to a leathery powder vanilla base needless to say that I immediately fell for it.

You must be asking why am I talking about jicky, its because It made me understand why HR is so good! JPG managed to merry the beautiful powdery guerlinade (That I love) with the citric opening and the leathery animalic undertones in a new and genius way, but alway paying homage to the classics of the brand!

So Habit Rouge edp opens whit a rich and deep citric, sharp smell, this fase lasts a lot in this concentration (I suspect that the oud play a part here, even though I cant smell it) Slowly it evolves to the leathery powder vanilla base (very similar to the jicky one in my opinion) you can clearly smell the leather and the vanilla its beautiful.

To me Habit Rouge is one of the best leathers ever created and will always be on my collection in every concentration and vintage I can get my hands on, Thanks God I changed my mind about it!

5 out of 5

flkirkland
flkirkland

Old lady powder bomb. Sorry Guerlain - I love lots of your stuff, but this is my grandmother in a bottle.

pronose

if they can make the same they should stop making a fake one!!!!! guerlain can't fool us like that! since lvmh bought the company guerlain became scentless!!!!! that's not honest and wa are not all dumb to buy that tricky brand anymore!

gabriel.vazquez.3597
gabriel.vazquez.3597

Just bought it. I wanted to find a vintage cologne from a respectable company, and after several trips to a perfume shop I chose Habit Rouge. I find that it goes on strong, then vanishes, but it smells great. I have to reapply a few times a day, so maybe I'll trade up to a eau de parfum.

agonista
agonista

I'm little bit disappointed of this scent - I've heard/read about the uniqueness of Habit Rouge , about superb longevity and sillage - don't expect it- the scent is not so expressive , not so amazing as you think. It is different than today's perfumes but there's a lack of power, lack of charisma... and the longevity and projection are weak/moderate - below my expectations.

Overall: only 6/10...

pronose

habit rouge was truly lasting before! but now it's not lasting anymore!!!!!! because guerlain has changed the original formula to save some money!

9-na
9-na

Was a present. He who gave me Habit Rouge liked it on me a lot and said that, wearing it, I smelled "tasty, as if you were a sponge cake, and with vanilla". I agree, there was something cake-like in the scent to my nose, too, up to the practically there, if out of reach feeling of the cake's and its cream's texture. And what did I like about Habit Rouge? Healthy, strong, dark-green, acerbic weeds. I literally felt them growing and sprouting leaves and branches, longing to reach for the sun. Wait, branches? Yes, the weeds were really big and had bushy nature. And later on not seeds, but cakes got ripe on them. The scent used to live on me for 72 or 96 or 120 hours.

pronose

i rememeber my dad was used to wear this and it was a unique and lasting scent! but now it's just a pale copy of what it used to be!!!!!!!! dommage!

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Le parfum masculin le plus piqué par les femmes......dont moi ! Oops... ;O)

Scent mystery

There is a mystery in this gem. It tends to be melancholic as well. Makes me remind of haunted mansion such as Borley Rectory. A high class fragrance.

achilleas.mantes
achilleas.mantes

I actually smell ginger, a citrus accord, a florar accord with a distinct rose, vanilla, and a musky, amber accord at base. I'm actually quite surprised I don't see ginger at the perfume pyramid.

Very very nice perfume. So fresh, I can't beleive it's from 60s. I'm 21 I would wear it for sure. Very masculine.

hadrian
hadrian

The truth is the house of Guerlain respects its credentials. Some of his perfumes – as Heritage or Vetiver – never disappoint. Habit Rouge is one of them.
Balmy, powdery and entirely aristocratic, HR means rose, carnation and vanilla distilled under the tutelage of a smooth piece of leather. Some ones will find here a lot of citrus/lemon (I am not among them – for me, rose is king here), others will say that HR seems outdated and smells like a Victorian handkerchief. In front of such a fragrance, every opinion has its right to exist.
The simple truth is that HR is a piece of contemporary art. It’s one of the most upper–class male perfumes I can imagine. Three shots in the morning (belly/navel, chest and neck/left side) will follow you until 5 p.m.
Definitely, it is a natural born compliment getter. It will do his job during the day, from October to March (in the European sense of those words…), or during the summer, in a hot–promising night.
A classic, period.
Overall, a deserved 9+/10

fragrance_fan
fragrance_fan

I broke a bottle of this as kid and my dad went ballistic on me. He wasn't really into fragrance but seemed to like this one more then the others.
I can still remember the way the bathroom smelled for a week after I broke his bottle every time I spray this.

It was really lemony and dry if that makes sense. There was something bitter and green about it too like chewing on fresh parsley. It is some great stuff - here's to you pops!

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

Love it, so much so that I actually spray it on me from head to toe (over 10 sprays). All good words had been said in the earlier reviews and one additional comment that I want to add is that it would be perfect if there were a stronger (EDP or Extract)concentration for someone with lower body temperature like me.

giedriusva
giedriusva

The first time I tried it I did not like it, especially the citrus opening, which reminded me of old cheap colognes. But the smell was intriguing and I tried it several times. With every time my appreciation grew for this great fragrance.
As every unique scent it has followers and haters.
Not for a blind buy!

MrMookie
MrMookie

I've read all the reviews about HR and this is how I see it.
There are 2 types of scents people like :

Type 1 : Wow you smell nice !! (described :clean,fresh,fruity,sunny,warm,green,natural,sweet etc)

Type 2 : Wow whats THAT smell??!! Its so... mindblowing!
(gets transported back into the past)

This is a serious Type 2!
I can tell by all the reviewers here describing this scent in his own way and they decribe stories and imaginations and thats when a true masterpiece comes in!
And THATS why i love scents, its an artform!
Habit Rouge has Soul and gives me a very strange but good feeling...

When i smell Habit Rouge i smell history.

Must have for every scent addict.

Bows..

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

Very crisp powerhouse type scent. Smells a little bit like a 1980's womans cologne for a small bit before drydown. Not my favorite classic powerhouse but sufficient.

peake1
peake1

Habit Rouge is not to my taste but I still recognize it as a masterpiece in the classic fragrance world. Those that love this are fiercely loyal and I admire that. For me I will not purchase a full bottle but leave this for those that wear it with pride and savor its history. We don't have to personally enjoy wearing a particular olfactory group or specific scent to respect it and for this I say hats off to Guerlain!

Lisztener
Lisztener

I just received this late this past week. I was quite impressed with the first couple sprays after opening the package. Later, I wore it for the evening to dinner and on to a movie. I don't understand the recent negatives for this gem. From the initial citrus... not a strong citrus... to the cinnamon spicy and sweet dry down that reminded me of "Red Hots" candy, and on to the lingering and scrumptious Shailmar-like base, this is an amazing scent that I'll wear, often. It leaves no doubt that it is "Guerlain". I bought blind based upon older positives and based upon the creator's name. Fantastic add to my slow but steadily growing collection! It is sweet, but not near so sweet as Dior Homme or Dreamer by Versace. I readily understand that women may enjoy this fragrance, but from a male perspective it retains a positive masculinity. It bridges the genders exceedingly well. This is an addictive scent to me. I highly recommend!

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Part of my Luca Turin Best Masculines test tour.

Spray on the wrist: I didn't like it. On my arm it dried down to what smelled like a really rosy feminine scent.

Later test: I got some in a little spray bottle to test and put 3-4 sprays on myself. It's only been an hour and I can't smell anything at all! It went on citrusy and disappeared. Weird.

Yet another test: I don't know what the deal was before, but this time I got a good sample from Nordstrom and tried it on for a day. The structure is apparent to me now: the top is citrus, the drydown is a rosy vanilla - almost a gourmandy floral. Or perhaps a floral gourmand! I don't know why I failed to appreciate this one before - I guess my nose is developing and I'm acquiring a taste for restrained florals - but this stuff is, indeed, as wonderful as everyone claims it is. I'll have to buy a bottle!

Mr.noise
Mr.noise

Great 5/5

marioslg3
marioslg3

A traditional masculine old fashioned perfume that still sells....i find it unique and attractive. it starts with citrus and then, the resins and spices come in the game. Not suggested for anyone below 35-40 but the quality together with the masterly blended composition, is phenomenal. The perfume finally ends with some vanilla and resins/leather but the citrusy smell is on the backround pushing all others....A perfume of memories, a perfume of another era. I agree with ian85, stay away from all these 1 million type new perfumes. this is classy, mature, powerful, unigue, masculine and feminine....You feel executive, strong and wise but you must have a taste and memories.....one of those perfumes that we crowed up...together with aramis, azzaro, paco rabanne and drakkar....This has the guerlain quality and their identity, the powdery odor...it was created as the male counterpart of Shalimar. For those that appreciate this kind of perfumes and do not stick on the widely common fresh aquatic perfumes released today.
It is overly sweet though and need a cold weather, less than 10C not to become suffocating.

Finisterle
Finisterle

Old soda pop in grandma's finest crystal glass. Top hats and old wedding photographs.

Guerlains and Carons make lords and ladies of everyone.

shahab.zaidi

This is a love. Very haunted fragrance. Check the dry down.

n1Musashi
n1Musashi

very mature and dense smell. +30 fragrance

aucffan1

I really like this scent.. After the lemon cools out I really really like it.. I should mention I have the EDT.

juancar_66

The best oriental fragance for man to me.
also i think it is the best parfum from Jean Paul Guerlain for the men.
It´s oriental and fresh in the top notes, very sophisticated and elegance but not intoxicating or strong.
very good midle notes and excellent base notes for a lot of horurs.... like a prince he is.

ian85

Masterpiece. Citrus, leather and Vanilla : strong in the opening, odd in the middle notes, and addictive in the drydown. Class and distinction. Far away from one million and his clones. Spirit of the best part of France. 10 / 10

1welshdevil

I adore it, Powdery, Floral, Leathery, Heavy, such an amazing fragrance, very powerful, Extremely masculine. Much prefer the raw EDT to the more polite EDP, very warm, patchouli, but more refined then you'd find on Givenchy Gentleman. To ME, The Male Chanel no5

celebrity89
celebrity89

Shalimar for men. This fume should be called "Hypnotic". 20+ years ago I worked with a guy who had this, and whenever I would go into the bathroom I would sniff the bottle. If I could find a mini bottle, I would probably wear it.

silvrsrfr
silvrsrfr

I own both EDP & EDT. Between the two, I prefer the EDP, the EDT seeming more harsh, or raspy (comparatively). The EDP seems more refined, smoother. I've worn it a number of times, and am still trying to figure it out. Recently, I sprayed the EDP, sat down, listened to music, while I savored the scent's transitions over time. Then, for the first time, I sensed something familiar, but hadn't noticed before... I was thinking burnt vanilla, but, no, that wasn't quite it... suddenly it struck me. For a brief time it conjured up one of the phases of Bvlgari Black. It was that odd, yet pleasant, tea (some say burnt rubber) joined with vanilla that I sometimes get from Black. Anyone else notice that?

sf2explus
sf2explus

Excellent fragrance and is a classic for a reason.
The more i wear this the more i like it. I have to be honest and say would have liked the top notes stay on a bit longer. What i get from this scent is a fresh clean citrussy/floral sweet babby/talcum power scent. It does smell very classic and you can easily tell that it has been made quite long ago, although easily wearable today. I really like the deodrant spray spray you can buy for this scent since the body spray is nothing but the top notes, had it lasted i would have just owned the body spray which is a shame. Having said all that i am very happy with habit rouge, it is very versatile scent imo. and last around 7-10 hours on skin and projects very well for the first 4 hours and than becomes a bit close but still easily detectable. Do not rush out and buy this scent instead get a sample. If you like it get the 50 and if you do not own many bottles get the 100 ml.
When this scent dries down you do get the leatheer but here it's smooth leather nothing rough or heavy. Habit rouge reminds me of an old bookshop where the books have been well looked after with alot of old wooden shelves and chairs.

Scent 8.5/10

Migalex
Migalex

This one to me really is a powdery floral. It does smell very feminine, but to me that is a good thing, meaning that it is not as stereotyped as most other male scents. I find this scent very pleasant. It must have plenty of iris or orris root in the heart, because it does smell very very iris powdery. It is a scent very much of the type of the current reformulation of Madame Rochas, although it is much sweeter and simpler. Although I do like it, I find it too simple, without contrasts or deep complexity. It smells very muh of talc powder and that is mostly it to it. Having compared it to Madame Rochas, to me they are not by any means in the same league, and one would anyway expect that because they are marketed for different genders. Madame Rochas is to me infinitely superior and incomparably more sophisticated and special. As for that they are not comparable.

philsouth
philsouth

A heavy scent, and much more floral than gents fragrances usually are, and all the more original for that. A definite statement though, and because it's so uncommon also can be your signature smell. Daytime I like Floris no89 because it's fresh and light but for evenings I much prefer to be moving around within a cloud of this.

williamvargas
williamvargas

a great smelling cologne for the guy that likes to be complicated and maybe sophisticated without overdoing it.. reminds me of if champagne had a fragrance...bubbly , sweet but masculine to my nose. i can see why some of the celebs have been wearing this one for years..i highly recommend this one..i am not well versed in notes or pretend to be ,i just know when i like something and others around me do..this one is a winner..and the beautiful thing about it is you can get samples from the perfumed court, i do recommend an ample sized one so you can try it at least a couple of times and give it a good honest try and stay with it..let it develop on your skin, i think more will like it than not...guerlain makes some incredible products and as a company they have some great noses working for them.. a classy fragrance. five stars from me.

judyk
judyk

Shalimar on steroids. Cool!

Yep, I get S with pumped up lemon and jasmine. And rose! I didn't even smell the rose in S. All quite feminine for a fragrance intended for men.

Not that I'm complaining! Now I have a public "Shalimar" I can wear every day, while still keeping my private, ethereal Shalimar all to myself.

juancar_66

The Eau de Toilette it´s perfect to me.

coumarine1
coumarine1

une fragrance qui ne ressemble à aucune autre , trés originale , qui se veut imposante , de caractére et trés chic.

vdxl

I bought the EDP in Paris: not with the leather case one, which I TESTED(!!!), but a very recent reformulation, which is indeed different ( I do not smell oud-incense notes), and it has a lipstick note and floral notes- it smells younger, it does have some sillage but less than the edt. However, it smells reffined and younger than the EDT, and better than the EDP reformulation I smelt last year. A reformulation I agree with, in case the original EDP cannot be available ( the dark red sticker bottle edp reformulation was lame and unbalanced). However, the seller's claim that only the bottle and case changed, not what's inside... Do they take me for stupid? Well, I take them for idiots... However, I love the (maybe 2012) reformulation of the EDP. L'Eau is a must try also :).

shahab.zaidi

Master piece, Gem, sophisticated and Aristocratic. I feel ma self standing in the Royal castle, feel my self at the standard bar. It gives me a feelings of haunted mansions with Dracula chemistry. I love this scent a lot more than every other fragrance....

bronstein
bronstein

I was really impressed by this one when I got a sample at my local perfumery. It's one of those classic male fragrances that will probably never go out of style. The only question is whether it suits very young men, too. Apart from that, it's perfect for warm summer nights as well as chilly autumn nights. I think every man with a sense of style should own a bottle.

stayclose
stayclose

There is lots going on here. I can't narow down the specific notes but I smell tangerine, sugar, and benzoin. How I feel while wearing this well its a classic scent for sure so I feel somewhat mature but it does have some playful quality to it a sort of kick in the pants a sort of aftershave edge. This would have been a sports scent back in the day I am guessing.

ronnie1975
ronnie1975

i get citrus and rose in this, it´s strong, little old, but nice

update it's getting better

jgirgar
jgirgar

Just dip me in this please! I can't say I'm best at writing views, instead I enjoy sharing my experiences with fragrance and at times a quick comparison to others' comments to keep things in check.

I'm a huge fan of some fragrances the moment they go on, wishing they would stay that way all day. But not this one. I like the opening, but it's true, the dry down is magnificent! This is where the oriental aspects appear (think Dior Poison wafting around a bit or maybe it's YSL Opium - stunning!).

I feel kinda bad not having rated this one a like/love a month or two ago, I just didn't get it. I gave it another try and for whatever reason, probably nostalgia, I understand this now and now own this. Actually, I needed a full size wearing for a full day and that's what did it for me.

I love this fragrance! Fortunately I have not smelled the 'vintage' to taint my opinion, and that's ok.

To me, it's not the crazy powerhouse, Dracula-Frankenstein others have made it out to be. It's not exactly feminine or masculine. And it's not overbearingly strong. Actually I wish this fragrance was stronger, have more projection.

I don't generally like powdery/vanillic finishes but this one is superb! I regret not knowing this fragrance sooner. Happy moments ahead! JG 072912

Edit: Ok, so maybe a bit Dracula, in a good way;

IndoGuy
IndoGuy

All I can say is this; I was 15 when I first bought it. And now after almost 40 years it still is my favorite, and it hasn't left my collection.
It met some tough competition over the years, but it still is my Number One.

aschiffm
aschiffm

yowsers, this is a mens cologne? it is SOO POWDERY and sweet. theres only a little bit of spice from the cinnamon and depth from the rosewood, so its mostly just fresh and.. feminine.

fahad.al dowailah
fahad.al dowailah

If Count Dracula wore a fragrance it would be Habit Rouge.

ericrico
ericrico

For Vintage Eau de Cologne Habit Rouge -

I was between Vintage Eau de Cologne and Original EDP (as a new formulation of that was recently released that has no oud - which made the scent of interest to me in the first place). I decided that Vintage Eau de Cologne would be the most proper way to approach Habit Rouge when acquiring the olfactory pleasure of a timeless classic. After all, I am a purist. I have a Vintage spray EdC (110ml) - red plastic on the top and bottom with glass and information in the middle of the flacon as it is stands (for those you who know). "Copyright 1976" is on the bottom of the old Guerlain flacon bought from an amazing seller, as it has been kept pristine in its original box all these years.

I have, of course, smelled it over the years (in various formulations and concentrations) and never bought a bottle of any until recently! It was about understanding time & place - I nearly bought a bottle after my return from Paris that celebrated my 1st wedding anniversary, but didn't. Recently, I did though. I ended up with an Original Vintage (black & white/zig-zag box) After Shave of all things, which was perfectly stored within a few days of getting this Vintage Eau de Cologne. So, the Vintage After Shave is on the back of my left hand right now while the Vintage EdC is on my right inner wrist. Incredible!!

The burst of bright citrus (bergamot) is prominent from the EdC and there is a touch of citrus in the After Shave. The EdC then evolves beautifully into a nice, slightly-powdery (but warm, sophisticated and gentlemanly) vanilla, blended with leather, actually smoothing out after 30 minutes (no longer powdery - but warm and inviting). The patchouli is working here, giving a nice accord of freshness and liveliness. The balance, as stated by reviewers whom I admire is simply, harmonious. Perfection. I don't think any one note is dominant and the composition is clearly exceptional - a landmark in fragrance that smells so fresh. Definitely something I would prefer wearing with a nice button shirt and dress attire. This is class & sophistication poured into a bottle.

The After Shave actually has a bit more leather than vanilla and the touch of patchouli is there as well. So, the EdC and After Shave, after going back and forth a dozen times now, compliment each other almost perfectly. The EdC is definitely stronger (this is when Eau de Cologne was rich - 85% volume is stated on box and bottle!), but the After Shave is a great skin scent with just a few dabs and actually accentuates the entire olfactory experience brilliantly.

When doing my research, I heard a story of an individual that wore Vintage Habit Rouge - but only as a nice splashed on After Shave, of which he kept in a nice little refrigerator! It would stay for hours and he never wanted the power of the fragrance bottlings. That is a testament to how good that juice is. Personally, I like the power and refinement. So, I would want to layer.

The EdC has been on my skin for well over an hour and is actually so smooth and putting out more power than before. It is breathing - I am certain. This has been in a bottle for over 30 years and is ready to come to life in full form! Sure, the initial burst of citrus is bright and sharp - but this is a wonderful skin scent. I don't think I would apply more than a couple of shots to clothing when wearing this. It wears so well on one's skin. Spray to neck, wrists and chest - and you are engulfed in its beauty with a bit of the After Shave splashed on or perhaps decanted and sprayed lightly and blended with a nice neutral balm to create a gorgeous base layer.

This is, simply wonderful...totally and incredibly brilliant. It is invigorating. A legend and classic scent and forever, timeless. Rating not appropriate - just pure admiration.

pingui
pingui

I don't know if I can add anything new to the multitudes of reviews of this cologne, but I am going to try. (I'm THAT kind of girl!)

This fragrance starts off with a huge burst of citrus. Not juiced lemon and lime, but juice, zest, and pith all at once. It is bitter intense and frankly these top notes make me shy away from this fragrance, as a woman.

This fragrance moves into a citrus, leathery, and balmy scent that conjures a horse ride in the country, with the horse crushing pine needles under hoof. The air is brisk and foretells of the winter to come. Where the scent settles is that relaxed return to the barn. After taking care of the horse, you may take your saddle to the tack room which smells of aged wood, leather that is lovingly cleaned and oiled. It smells of wool blankets and while all of the above notes are there, they have mellowed and softened. Like if they were all just under one of those blankets.

I really like it. I could imagine my guy wearing this and the two of us growing old together with this cologne.

Jackfusion
Jackfusion

My firs impression:
Opening citrus strong and powerful way adociada. After a few minutes softens not, continuing, but appears as wood, leather, and something with soap, while the tone becomes stronger and fresh atacaldo with a musk type vanilla. Already more pro drydown, feel the touch of vanilla and floral with this.

It is a classic scent, complex and very strong. Surely not please everyone. After the first minute citricidade become unisex. With all this power you can imagine that very cool and design.

I think anyone who likes the Kouros guess like that too. I quite liked.

LANIER
LANIER

There is a feeling one has in Paris of the meeting of tradition and frivolity. A joie de vivre, if you will that is uniquely Parisian. The blend of old wonderful things of history, art, architecture in the midst of a vibrant up to date population. The thing is, you don’t choose Paris, Paris chooses you. And If you are chosen you are so very lucky. So it is with Habit Rouge by Guerlain.

This fragrance is not for the faint of heart. It is a rich, riveting and romantic call to only the bravest of the brave who are not afraid of embracing tradition with a flair for the unusual and a great joy for living.

I must say it did not start off well; the initial impression I got was not good. In fact I smelled of all things tortillas! That must have been the basil and rosewood, and it quickly passed. I went on and gave it a chance to move within my chemistry. I was so glad I did. What I was left with was a rich aromatic wonderland of entwining citrus’, jasmine, carnation and rose. The dry down is to fine leather. So in giving it a chance I grew to understand that this fragrance had at last chosen me.
four and a half gold stars ****1/2

tyrip19562000@yahoo.com
tyrip19562000@yahoo.com

GREAT STUFF,PROJECTION AND LONGEVITY ARE AWESOME,BUT THEN AGAIN IT IS "GUERLAIN"

oxm

Hello, I can not help but write more about Habit Rouge, and his smell has overcome decades and is still relevant, mellow, sweet, spicy and dense fragrance that has a disruptive force ... how do I remove the bottle from the box I invade its hints of flowers and citrus, vanilla, sprinkled with resinous paths Fragrant petals and herbs, like a tangled ball of yarn, as sweet as the first kiss and austere as the bastions of a fortress, stands on the standard of Habit rouge perfume world .
simply irresistible

Rankn504
Rankn504

This juicee smells tolerable right out the bottle but the dry down is gross.. a woman could wear this easily. doesn't smell good at all like grandmas perdume floral and jus old..

@miletto

Yes, unfortunately almost all Rochas male fragrances are discontinued except Eau de Rochas Homme and Rochas MAN since Procter & Gamble bought the company.
So LUI, Aquaman, Désir are out of the market now :(((
(as well as Alchimie, Aquamwoman, Byzance, Absolu, Lumiere, Soleil, Fleur d'Eau etc.)
Endless shame on P&G for what they are doing with the fragrance industry!!! (Rochas, YSL etc.)

skipster
skipster

CHSeifert almost took the words out of my mouth below, but I will try anyway. This goes for the reformulated EDT - have not tried the other versions.

I really tried to like Habit Rouge. Obviously a very refined classic with high quality ingredients, huge strength, huge lasting power, lots of development and a place in the all-time greatest Top Ten list from Luca Turin. This just has to be a wonderful experience, right? Wrong!

I loathe Habit Rouge. A fluid smelling like this would be appropriate for embalming pharaohs in ancient Egypt, but there is no way in the world that I voluntarily will put this stuff on my body again, privately or public. It literally makes me sick, and it gets even worse the more I try to get into it.

Habit Rouge just smells so unbearably old and dead to me. Makes me feel like a walking corpse or a very old man, helplessly stuck in a wheelchair in his apartment with sealed windows, slowly suffocating from inhaling dust and powder, dust and powder, dust and powder....

In spite of a strong citrus note, Habit Rouge totally lacks even the slightest hint of freshness and ”air”. Because of the great quality and artistry behind it, I will not dare to say that it smells bad – just suffocating.

I have no problems with old-school scents in general (Chanel’s Pour Monsieur is my all-time favourite). But my nose is totally incompatible with this one. Even Grey Flannel (which I cannot stand either, but I respect its uniqueness) never came close to provoking as strong a discomfort as Habit Rouge.

I envy those who can appreciate – and even wear - this monster. But I’ll pass, thank you. Try before you buy!

zaza.ispratami
zaza.ispratami

My father loves this so much. He doesn't even look at other perfumes after finding this. Although it's eau de toilette, its scent is very strong even when you apply just a few.

@miletto

No, Habit Rouge is not similar to Rochas LUI at all!
(LUI is similar to Gucci pour homme)
I would choose LUI without hesitation ;) It's very woody, dry and manly in a classic way.
Habit Rouge is citrusy and powdery, more unisex than masculine.

Dimitry555
Dimitry555

First of all I would like to say words of respect and my best compliments to Mr Jean-Paul Guerlain.
I was so unpleasently surprised today to read at BBC about the Court deal on so on..
The most disgasting thing is the statement from the firm wearing his name.
I'like to remind you Matt 26.34 and tell you that I live in Empire of Evil and nevertheless I love you and your Creations!
Thank you so much!
From Russia with Love!
As for HR I tried it first in 1991 in Moscow.I can not say I liked it...In year 2007 I got it as present from a friend of mine.Her name is Lubov(Love in Russian)and my passion for Guerlain began...
May I shake your hand,sir?
Thanks so much! Take care!

tomerits
tomerits

i have the 2003 version of this,its very strong scent and you should spray 2-3 times and it will last all day.dry down is very very good.
when i got it (as a blind buy) i thought i made a terrible mistake and gave the bottle to my father.he didn't like it and gave it back to me,so i gave it another chance,and boy how happy i am for doing that.(dry down, oh what a dry down).
now its one of my fav and spacial occasion scent.
totally love it.
ps - smell it before buying,but wait for the great dry down.
my rank 4.5/5.

I first encountered HR about four years ago, when I acquired a bottle of the EdC. I found the opening to be very harsh and though I tried several times over the course of more than a year, I only liked it a bit during one wearing, so I swapped it off. Recently, I arranged a swap for the EdT of HR, since I didn't like what I was giving up and I thought I might as well give HR another chance. The EdT I have has the gold cap and I think is at least several years old. The opening to this version doesn't seem nearly as strong, nor does it seem to last as long. The drydown doesn't seem to have the spice note that the EdC had, but this one is better balanced and is drier and mustier, which is fine with me. There's just enough note separation to create some dynamism and keep it interesting. I don't remember if the EdC was sweeter than this EdT but this just has bare hint of sweetness, and while there seems to be a leather note, it is not especially clear, but instead creates a kind of structural integrity to the fragrance. Longevity is very good and projection ("sillage") is good but not really powerful. This is definitely an aficionado fragrance, so if you are looking for "freshness" or a "good smell," just pass this one up and don't think twice about it. If you are into "Goth" stuff, this might interest you. For me, there's kind of a "sweet spot" (nothing to do with sweetness) that a fragrance either gets to or it does not, and this one gets there. No, I would not want to wear this more than perhaps once a month, but it is the kind of fragrance I want in my rotation. It may be that when I tried the EdC, my "nose" was not ready to appreciate this kind of fragrance, but I think I have a little bit of a sample that I can try at some point. I'll update this review when I do.

UPDATE: I wore it the other day and found it to lack dynamism after an hour or so. If this scent has a major flaw, I think that would be it.

UPDATE # 2: Another full wearing reveals a bit of a note clash in the drydown, as well as sub-par dynamism. I do enjoy the quality of the ingredients, the texture, and the dryness, but the note combination or composition just aren't working for me!

John E Buoy

To the review below......Don't judge the cologne version until you have tried it. It is better than the EDT.

CHSeifert
CHSeifert

I really tried hard to like this fragrance.
I ordered the Cologne edition, but received the EDT version. I heard the Cologne version would be more gentle in the top note and base. Habit Rouge, no matter how I try to look at this frag, does somehow just smell like an old ladies perfume.
I really like the old classic citrus frags with the musky base - love YSL Homme Concentrée, Chanel Pour MOnsieur Concentrée, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Armani Pour Homme & Monsieur de Givenchy - and thought Habit Rouge would be along these frags, but YES and NO, it has a lot of citrus, but somehow the floral note in this just turns me off in the long run…….
I know a lot of the regular frag heads time after time mention that scent has no gender and I agree, but not completely ;)
The floral 'thin' flower notes JUST IS NOT AND WILL NEVER be considered masculine. NEVER EVER !
I'm not saying Habit Rouge is ultra feminine, but it definitely is on the verge of smelling like an old lady perfume.
Just not something I will ever like to smell on myself nor on my GF. I tried to wait for Habit Rouge to evolve - but it stays very linear on my skin, 1-2-3 hours almost give me the same scent - floral notes combined with very light citrus.
Longevity is pretty good for this frag - 8-10 hours and projection (unfortunately) is quite powereful - 2-3 hours and 2-3 feet. Just can not learn to appreciate this frag - so have to rate it a 4/10. I will not appreciate this frag on myself nor on a woman. Sorry Habit Rouge fans, even if I tried the Perfume or Cologne version, I have a really hard time thinking it would change my mind about this frag.

calyx93

This is to correct the review below.

DaZeD must either have a cold or doesn't have the true EDP, since the two formulations (EDP and EDT) of Habit Rouge are quite different. The agarwood/oud simply plays a very dominant role in the EDP and there's less of the vanilla powder/opoponax in the drydown. There also seems to be a stronger animalic/musk note (bolstered, no doubt, by the agarwood note) and the citrus isn't as "fizzy" as in the EDT. All in all, it's a much darker, richer and more leathery composition.

Most of Guerlain's fragrances display marked differences between the various "concentrations" - not only in strength, but compositions/formulae. They're not just dilutions. This is very well known.

Again, very different and the difference certainly warrants having both.

DaZeD
DaZeD

When you ask for the difference between the EDP and the EDT version in a perfume shop the answer is usually the same; "the EDP is the same but stronger" and as always it's never really the same.

In this case it's not different, the EDP version is exactly the same in the first 15 to 20 minutes, only the first citrus notes stay a little longer on the surface than the EDT.

When it's completely dried down it becomes a lot sweeter and spicier and musky as well and will stay that way, while the EDT version is lighter and less full in a way.

The EDT version is perfect as a signature scent, it can be worn on so many occasions, the EDP version is a little more formal due to it's more heavy nature.

It's hard to say wich one i love most 'cause the EDT is my signature scent, but as i love it so much i feel that the EDP is a perfect expansion to an already perfect scent.

I think i love them equally, but they are different and lend themselves to different occasions.

10/10 for both versions as a scent.
9/10 for longevity.
10/10 for projection 'cause they both project like crazy!

Edit:

Calyx, i don't have a cold :D, read again what i wrote and you'll see that i actually said the EDP is a lot muskier but it stays the same the first 10-20 minutes, after that it changes to a muskier scent.

Okay, here we go!

What follows is a comprehensive review of Habit Rouge in the vintage Eau de Cologne, current Eau de Toilette, and current Eau de Parfum.

Introduction:

One of the most famous masculine fragrances ever, at least in Europe, Habit Rouge is famed for its sparkly, powdery qualities, described in Perfumes: The A-Z Guide by Luca Turin as "sweet dust". Truthfully, it is like that, but over the years, various versions have spotlighted the different facets of Habit Rouge. What's known for sure is that the classic citrus, powder, and leather smell is undeniable, as a "Shalimar Pour Homme" of sorts.

Eau de Cologne:

This was the original version of Habit Rouge, and the least "dusty". I actually don't get much powder out of this one at all - there's a little bit of citrus in the beginning, and then it segues into this absolutely crisp, delectable syrupy vanilla oriental, with a maple syrup-like smell, and a very subtle fleshy note. It's calm and sensual, and radiates off my skin like an aura of pure male sexuality. It lasts longer than I thought it would; 5 to 6 hours. So far, my favorite of the Habit Rouge concentrations.

Eau de Toilette:

Perhaps the most well-known and easily accessible concentration, the current Eau de Toilette has the Habit Rouge "spirit", but it's been cleaned up a little. It's actually more powdery now than ever, with a big lemon-neroli combo in the beginning over all the dry powder and a very plush suede note. This one stays powdery the whole way through, and lasts about 8 to 9 hours on my skin. No doubt that it's good, but it seems a little uptight and paranoid. It's almost as if the Eau de Toilette is freaking out over something, while the Eau de Cologne is sitting next to him coyly, saying, "Dude, chill out." Nevertheless, if you're gonna try Habit Rouge, start with either this one or the Eau de Cologne.

Eau de Parfum:

This one is getting to be quite rare for some reason. Basically, this is touted as Habit Rouge with agarwood (oud), and I definitely smell the oud. Unfortunately, oud usually smells like pencil shavings on my skin, and it's no exception here. Think Habit Rouge crossed with Gucci Pour Homme. However, the Eau de Parfum does have some deeper, richer facets, like a delectable chocolate-like note. It's most certainly Habit Rouge, just a bit more modern. The powder is still there. This one has the best longevity of all of them, lasting 10 hours on my skin.

Conclusion:

Habit Rouge is a classic fragrance that can be worn by men or women, and deserves at least a try. It's friendly, human, and relateable through all of its flamboyancy. My favorite formulation is the Eau de Cologne, followed by the current Eau de Toilette, but each version is worth a try. One of my top ten masculines ever. Get to it!

Grottola

This review is of the current Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette.

Habit Rouge, despite all its powderiness, is a friendly, people-person fragrance. It's not a cold or evil fragrance; it's a fragrance for people who love to love. The opening blast of citrus, powder, and leather is probably one of the most, if not THE most polarizing smells in all of perfumery. You'll either love it or hate it. The citrus combined with the powder reminds me of (god help me) Froot Loops cereal, but only a little bit. The powder, I'd say, is a combination between the rosewood and vanilla. It has a sweet "sparkle" to it, kind of like fairy dust. Also in there is a dry yet plush leather note, more on the suede side. This is the basic premise of Habit Rouge, and it lasts a good 6 to 7 hours on my skin, with the smooth tonka and resin base finishing it off.

So, yes, Habit Rouge is a very powdery and flamboyant fragrance. It is NOT, by any means, "macho". However, at the same time, it's very lovable, very human. I can understand why Keith Richards has worn it for so long. And yes, it does draw some similarities to Shalimar, however I actually find Shalimar to be closer to Jicky, if anything. To me, Habit Rouge is closest in smell to fragrances like New York by Parfums de Nicolai, or Guerlain's own Heritage.

So far I prefer the vintage Eau de Cologne. That was the original Habit Rouge in all its glory, with the leather and citrus turned up even more. It had a bit more character and "oomph" to make it more interesting. Nevertheless, the current Eau de Toilette does a fine job. And ladies, feel free to wear Habit Rouge. It will smell awesome on you.

If you're into fragrances, no matter what gender or age you are, try Habit Rouge. You'll be glad you did. Also, if you dig Habit Rouge, check out the shower gel, too.

EDIT: I recently wore Habit Rouge while I was out with friends a few nights ago, and I was told that I smelled like a cake. Luckily, they enjoyed the smell. I'm trying to cut down on all the food comparisons I make on here, but I can definitely understand that connection! So strong is the association between food and smell, it seems...

jrichart
jrichart

Por fín tengo la oportunidad de opinar sobre mi perfume predilecto de entre tantos que he probado. Hablo de Habit Rouge edp, porque la mezcla de cítricos, cuero y vainilla del edt me recuerdan a polvos de talco y a barbería antigua. En mi humilde opinión y con respeto a la casa Guerlain, no se porque se empeñan en afirmar que Habit Rouge edc y o edt fue el primer perfume oriental masculino, cuando mucha gente, me incluyo yo, que ha probado el edc y el edt notan un olor que les hace recordar mas a un perfume de la familia Hespéride-Aromático o incluso Chipre. El verdadero Habit Rouge de la familia oriental es el Habit Rouge edp, ya que este presenta una fase de los cítricos mas breve y dulce y enfatiza mas las especias y maderas desembocando en un fondo de patchulí y vainilla. En resumén, habit rouge edc, edt y edp son obras maestras de la casa Guerlain y de toda la historía de la perfumería. Pero, el que verdaderamente es oriental es la versión edp, es sólo mi humilde opinión. En resumen, Habit Rouge es un perfumón en todos los sentidos. Lo recomiendo para jóvenes seguros de si mismos y para hombres maduros que gusten de fragancias orientales. Porque Habit Rouge es un perfume que tiene que calzar a la par de una fuerte personalidad, ya que Habit Rouge esta dotado de una fuerte personalidad.

asmhfdbds
asmhfdbds

I tested it with the idea that LT and TS put it as one of the best masculine fragrance of all time well:
To be honest i expected from the notes pyramid much complex and unique composition.
I suggest to fragrantica to delete all the note other then citrus and amber because this is, at least to mine, only a citrusy with amber backround for the first 2 hours then only the sweet powdery ambery smell!
Very oriental scent.
Very mature 45+,reminded me of m7 yves saint laurent ,both have lot of amber.
It's very warm ,suitable to night time with wool clothing in fall and winter.
Best part is the 12+ hours longevity and the excellent projection.

cezarmac
cezarmac

In the Kingdom of perfumes,first off,you need to wear crowdpleasers,before you try this one in you,or you might get frustrated.
Not reccommend to newbies.

DC-8
DC-8

A classic but modern among its contemporary line (not as much as something like Dior Eau Sauvage, though!).

At first, it smells citrus and sort of unpleasant. BUT, it's one of those hits that I highly invite you for patience. After about an hour, turns into a very divine thing. The smell would resemble YSL M7, while M7 is sweeter, GHR appears just a head and shoulder (not too sensible) more spicy and woody. Considering such a close similarity, I guess M7 owners wouldn't need to head off for this too, or vice versa.

Longevity and sillage was pretty satisfactory on my skin. Overall, I would give this scent, 9/10. Thumbs up.

Since it's a very classic frag, it's highly recommended to refrain blindbuying it. Make sure giving it a try first and wait for hours to see the results.

Great for functions, but only in the chill season, IMO.

behzad1280
behzad1280

A sharp flowery opening may give you a bad headache (like that perfume named “Tea Rose” was synonym of “Headache”!!!)
But wait some minutes; if you survive you can smell a mild musky woody flowery scent that is not mannish at all!
Then there is nothing to add!
Happy?!

بوی شدید و تند گل رز که تا حدودی به ادکلن تی‌رُز یا عطرهای روغنی بازار حرم شبیهه، ممکنه باعث سردرد بدی بشه، اما اگه بعد از چند دقیقه زنده موندین، میتونین یک بوی ملایم و یواش و ناز حس کنین که به هیچ وجه هم مردونه نیست

Everytime I smell an old pre-formulation Guerlain I wonder what the hell these people have in mind nowadays and what they are really able to do now.
I always loved HR as one of the most sexy and distinctive male scent, also wearable by ladies.
It was one of the last romantic men on earth.
To many noses old Guerlains smell like "aristocracy" without realising that for true aristocrats it was a way to make perfume accessible to the rising bourgeoisie.
An image of a man riding a horse in a red jacket may not seem so different for those people who led that life. It's like making a perfume with an image of soccer aiming at a middle-class. They could think: well, what is so special here?
Anyway it worke to conjure an aura of noble sport and powerful elegant masculinity to the mass.
Never mind. Never been an aristocrat myself and I enjoyed Guerlain as a luxury treat for many years until they decided to go "modern". Modern?!? Does modern mean lower quality? If it is so, the "work" done on HR falls strictly into "modern" category.
I have a mini from back in time and it still smells gorgeous even if little is left. I could smell the tiny bottle forever and fall in love with the man inside! I'm there was a little miniature HR's Man swimming in the bottle to keep it smelling, LOL! Crazy, I know...
Since I loved this fragrance so much I wanted my recent bf to test it on his skin even if he's not so passionate about perfumes and I need to drag him to the counter (I'm also sweeter sometimes)
To my disappointment HR stinks on his skin! I thought about a chemistry thing, but no, apart from that I tried it on paper and on my skin and also smelling the tester. No way. They don't sell real HR anymore.
The old HR will be linked in my memory to another love story of many years ago with a man I was attracted by like a bee to honey and that wore HR divinely, not because he was divine in himself. HR was.

RobAtSGH
RobAtSGH

If Habit Rouge were a meal, it would be one seated at a leather banquette, a fresh rose in a bud vase in the center of the table, the lights dim, the sounds of muffled conversation and the clink of good crystal in the background. This is not a casual fragrance.

HR has an elegance to it that fits with a quietly confident personality. The gentleman wearing it doesn't shout, doesn't bluster, but is going to be the one in control. It is a fantastic smell if you have the elan to step up to it and own it, the scent of a Napoleanic cavalry officer. It's way out of the normal office-cologne sporty zone, its atypical notes drawing attention. On an unapologetic man, it's exotic and hints of affluence. On a woman, it can be deeply alluring.

Habit Rouge opens up with a good dose of bergamot, orange, and cinnamon. The citrus and bright floral elements fade pretty quickly, and it settles into a dusty, musky, ambery rose. Gents - do not be afraid of rose; it was a staple masculine scent well into the 20th century. As the hours pass, the rose subsides into a chord with powdery amber and soft oiled leather. The cinnamon drifts in and out throughout, and at moments you'll catch the labdanum, oakmoss, benzoin and sandlewood as a light incense accord.

If you want a fragrance in a similar vein with more spice/amber and less floral, Parfum de Nicolai's New York may be your thing. Habit Rouge, however, is one scent I'd take with me to a desert isle.

Edox
Edox

Los perfumes para hombres del grupo "oriental woody" eran aún escasos en 1965, Creed fue el primero seguido de Penhaligon's con Hammam y dos casas más que yo recuerde. De hecho fue el segundo perfume para hombres de la casa Guerlain ( El primero fue en los años 40 "Vetiver")
Éste irrumpe en el mercado con un acento marcadamente francés,y muy distinto a sus predecesores más "anglo"; se dice que se inspiró en "Shalimar" de mujer
también de Guerlain y que algunos hombres usan. H.R. desde su inicio y durante muchos años fué un perfume de principes, aristócratas y de la alta burguesía y no tanto del gran público.

"Habit Rouge" es una fragancia rica, muy rica, compleja y sensualmente envolvente. Abre muy bien con cítricos amaderados pero anunciando ya todo su potencial, que como si de una fotografía antigua se tratara va a ir revelándose poco a poco y muy lentamente, desde un fondo ya completo pero pálido y tenue, hasta mostrarse al completo en la plenitud de todos sus contrastes ( Que aquí son muchos).

Aunque sea un perfume de los años 60 tiene mucho del mundo del modernismo y del barroco "art Decò". Es barroco y clásico al mismo tiempo y muy elegante con los toques de cuero y el uso de las flores, sobre todo el jazmín de una gran pureza y muy bien dosificado y unido con la canela y con el ambar que le aporta esa calidez especial.
Su lado cálido lo hacen más apto para las estaciones de otoño - invierno y su elegancia más nocturno,quizás.

Aquí como decía más arriba hay mucho de maderas preciosas, sándalo pachuli y se haría muy extenso analizar todas la combinaciones que lleva.

Sólo diré que su alquimia es la de un gran artista, J.P.Guerlain, la que nos hace entrar en un mundo de explendor, elegancia y muy buen "gusto" aunque a la vez, desenfadado, informal y creativo. En él destacaría, por tanto, la fusion perfecta de todos sus elementos en la que sobresalen todos y cada uno de ellos pero ninguno está fuera de tono ¿ Un perfume perfecto...?
No lo sé pero sin duda de los mas elegantes y con personalidad, aún hoy en el mercado.

John E Buoy

I have the EDT and the Parfum versions of this.
If you can find it, buy the Parfum. It has less of the soapy smell, and it is a bit more musky.

kdlehr

it took a while to appreciate this one but now I love it, Its very elegant, long lasting and makes me feel sophisticated( which is quite a feat hehe). I work in a 5star hotel and always get comments from guest's (we shouldn't really wear any scents during work , but hey who cares)
Anyway I love it, tried a few Guerlain's for men and they are all good to me.

susanaurinko@me.com
susanaurinko@me.com

Alfarom - you are SO right! It's gorgeous!
I wear it, and have for years. I bought the bottle for my husband, who didn't like it, so I started wearing it myself, and voila -perfection! In fact, it's one of my favorites of the two dozen or so I wear -
I don't think I have ever smelled it on anyone else, male or female - so I like that it is mine. The newer versions are just so so, but the original is fabulous - it's delicious like the most magnificent french macaroon - maybe it's just my skin, which tends to be acidic, and turns many perfumes, but I think this is flawless right down to the long last moment before it fades.

jtd
jtd

I find Habit Rouge simple, precise, complete. Knowing Guerlain’s approach, and even in light of its 2003 streamlining, HR’s composition is likely more complex than my nose is able to make out. It is traditionally three-tiered: bergamot/lime, orange blossom, oppopanax. The oppopanax is really there all the way along. Its powderiness cuts the tart citrus opening and sweetens the body-odor feel of the orange blossom. I don’t get a trace of the leather that others mention.

In the end, and the basenotes arrive pretty quickly, it rides a sweet-and-sour balance. Powdery sweet oppopanax, sweaty orange blossom. Very pretty, very human.

Hello everyone, Habit Rouge is a classic par excellence
describe it is not easy, with the green where a strong impact on the citrus stand out strongly, slowly becomes flowery and spicy, but a spice gentle non-aggressive as the flowers seem to present themselves undecided, the fragrance gradually gets dusty very sensual notes through vanilla.Ho read somewhere that Serge Lutens was fascinated by this fragrance as a boy, and decided to buy it as soon as they had the chance, I think this fragrance is an almanac to develop the ideas more daring, because of that Serge Lutens became a teacher because I dare say that this fragrance initiation.
The background reminds me of Old Spice so warm and enveloping, but Habit Rouge is much more complex to define the complexity of the brother of Paco Rabanne Calandre, both two unforgettable masterpieces.
persistence 10
elegance 10
bottle 7

stelladoro
stelladoro

I wore this in my twenties and adored it. I didn't realize until recently that it was a men's fragrance. Bergamot, Balsam, and citrus in a well orchestrated mix, they'll draw me in every time.

Coriolan is another Guerlain men's fragrance that I wear. One thing about these two, ladies, you are highly unlikely to be wearing the same perfume as another woman in the room.

Oh, and Coriolan makes a man irresistable. (Hint . . . hint . . .)

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

I found this EdT, the vintage one *before reformulated*...to me, it resembles of Shalimar but more citrusy...the trace of vanilla is quite strong. I like it, even though some of my friends said it is vintage fragrance. Longevity is superb, 12 hours and I could sniff it on my skin :)

krmarich
krmarich

Shalimar in a blender with more vetiver and cinnamon. Is this a bad thing? Of course not! This is a beloved classic of men for generations. Its never had the appeal of more commercial favorites. It is a true phenomenon for the avant-gard.

The composition is based around the Guerlainade. My EDC has a fresh lemonade opening. That promises sweetness and of couse tradition. The florals proudly become apparent. Mai rose and jasmine wrapped in leather, sweet vanilla and oakmoss.

Chic, hip men sit in villages around France, sipping pastis and wearing Habit Rouge.

Celebrity=Serge Gainesbourg

kdlehr

I just bought this one a couple of days ago and I like it a lot. Its growing on me, Had to reapply a couple of times because I really started to love this one. Very elegant and very noticeable. Not an old man's scent at all. For someone who knows what he wants. Direct and honest . Deliciously wicked.

junior halston
junior halston

Dubbed the male Shalimar carrying the Guerlain essence known as Guerlainaide it is a true remarkable masterpiece in male perfumery.

Aristocratic, daring, and as complex as its Shalimar mother Habit Rouge feels more as if it was created in the opulent 20's art deco era then the 1965.

A remarkable effort transition from neroli and bitter orange to leather down drying to vanilla amber.

One word - BLISS.

ian85

@ brahmsfourth: You can't wear Habit Rouge like another scent. I think you smelt it on someone who used the whole bootle! Habit Rouge requires very moderate spraying: it's the difference between class and vulgarity ("nouveau riche" behaviour)...

calyx93

Hands down my "desert island" fragrance. I've had a near lifetime of using this and while it has been changed over the years, it is still one of the most satisfying and beautiful smelling mens fragrances available. I use it for days at a time, and then sometimes forget about it for a long while - only to come back to it like a faithful friend or vacation home in the country. It always impresses me with its effortless composition and feel.

So much more than a "Shalimar for men", this is, to me, the perfect year-'round, inoffensive, warm yet refreshing oriental. In the Spring & Summer, the long-lasting citrus and carnation give the wearer lift and energy - in the Fall & Winter, a warmly powdered, soft, patchouli-tinged, leathery embrace is to be found. Nothing I own, other than Shalimar itself, possesses these magical properties.

The other amazing quality lies within it's ability to go from formal wear to breezily casual (just apply more lightly) within a single day - it's so very versatile in this regard. It never shouts at you, no matter how much is worn.

Just try it - you'll most likely enjoy it as I do. To quote the old CK Obsession adverts, "Ahh - the smell of it!"

Celphie
Celphie

I'm a 20 year old girl, do you guys think I can get away with wearing this??I absolutely love the warm scent especially during the cold winter days in Canada...it works really well with my body chemistry and it smells really floral and powdery.

K1
K1

I like Habit Rouge, it's overpowering, rich, serious and bold. It's smell of people who keep going their own way, styling their own style and wearing their own fragrance no matter what is fashion, somehow firm people in idea and look the idea as a success.
Rouge opens sharp, classy and highly masculine but in a nicely vintage way. It opens citric and floral but again in an absolute classical way. In the second phase it turns to musky and soapy which base is patchouli and musk but still floral. And in dry down this mood becomes heavier and dusty.
Generally, HR is an intense and classic masculine perfume of manager rich men who in their old become sugar daddies!

Markx
Markx

Habit Rouge in this day and age is clearly the perfume of choice for tough and serious guys that you don't want to mess with, There is something obnoxious when I smell this perfume up-close but from a distance it is fine, it does smell very old and strange but unless you are one tough guy who wants to make a bold statement with his perfume then skip it, we don't live in the 60's anymore.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

The version that I tried was supposed to be a vintage EdC. The first thing out of the vial is incense, patchouli, violet, fresh citrus, green herbs, and Jordan almonds, a bizarre combination if ever there was one. I find that there’s a lot of crossover between notes that are classified as “violet” and those classified as “leather”, so what I suspect is going on here is a leather accord that crosses way too far into powdery violet territory. The red-coated fox hunter has trespassed on someone’s flower garden.

As the top notes dry down, the powdery violet is accompanied by a smell (myrrh and/or leather gone wrong?) that could only be described as rank body odor. I don’t usually use that term to describe perfumes, since it’s so flippantly overused by others, but I think it’s accurate in this case. The end result is an impression of someone who hasn’t bathed for a very long time trying to cover it up with talcum powder.

Thankfully, the BO scent subsides after a half hour, at least in the sillage, leaving behind a balsamic, slightly citrusy, powder scented with crushed basil and sprinkled with a tiny dust of cinnamon. It’s still an odd scent, but not blatantly offensive. In the end, it’s just very powdery, slightly lemony, slightly balsamic, and slightly vanilla-scented. Sillage is moderate even though it’s an EdC, and it lasts at least 5-7 hours.

Sampling this vintage cologne was an interesting experience, but it’s not something that I’d want to wear myself or smell on anyone else.

Minimephisto
Minimephisto

Many thinks that it is only for the oldies. But I strongly differ on this point of view. I do not think that Habit Rouge is representing any age group of persons. In fact, the only reason why people think that it is for older people is simply because Habit Rouge carries a sense of courage in which no ordinary young people can bear. It also entails responsibility, presence as well as competence.

If you are willing to take up a job and to go all the way, bring habit rouge with you. It shall remind you of the duties in which you must undertake. Just like how habit rouge undertakes its duty to make sure that you are the one who is under control of the environment.

It is loud with substance, even its fruity side speaks of a heavy sense of woodiness.

Facing Habit Rouge and thinking about making a review as an amateur perfumes lover it's like facing one of the most important painting form the '800 for the first time and pretend you understand it in a couple of minutes. HR is huge (and we all made it huger with infinite words) but I can't say I love it. I just like it with much respect. Besides techniques, brilliant ideas, skills, virtuosism, competence and influence is TASTE! I won't go through pyramid explanation and opening /drydown kind of things as I guess everything has been said about a monster realese like Habit Rouge, but, even if it's doubtless one of the most important male scents ever created, I've never been so impressed by it. Ok, call me names, call me whatever you want, but I just respect the "meaning" of Habit Rouge not the smell. It's simply that I like it but don't love it.

Rating: 7-7.5/10

Rob Frost
Rob Frost

Considering how very favourably this EdT has been reviewed here, I expected to at least like it. Given the small number of "dislikes", I certainly expected to not find it offensive.

In the perfumery. After one spray on the back of my hand, I found Habit Rouge unusually dry, a bit pungent and bitter, with a faint citric note. "Hm ... not bad so far, kind of austere, manly, certainly interesting", I thought. I was really curious what would develop from this earnest opening.

Ten minutes later, back in the car. Something smelled almost sickeningly sweet, but nothing like a perfume. "What is this? It can't be Habit Rouge!" I smelled my hand and yes, it was Habit Rouge. It had quickly turned into something completely different and, to my taste, really annoying. So much so that after twenty minutes of driving I spit on my hand and tried to rub that lemony sugar smell off with a tissue. To no avail.

It stayed that way until, one hour later, I could finally wash it off of my hand. Or at least I tried to - it sticked mighty well to my skin and I had to rub my hand thoroughly two more times with an anti-odor soap. This is not a fleeting scent (which probably means +1 for longevity). Good thing I could drive right home, as I would've been a bit embarassed if I had to run errands with that smell on me.

HR reminded me very strongly of something that I knew I know well, but couldn't put my finger on; I only knew that it's some sort of candy and not the nice smelling kind. Then it dawned on me: HR smells exactly like 'Dextro Energy', lemon flavored tablets of pure dextrose/glucose (marketed as a means to give your mental and bodily powers a boost). Someone described HR's top note as "lemon dust (not powder)". I'd say it smells like a spoonfull of artificially lemon flavored powder sugar blown right into your nostrils. There's nothing refreshingly citric about it, just cloying lemony sweetness and no pleasing notes whatsoever.

And it's supposed to be a man's scent? Others have already noted that they see it as more of a unisex scent. Well, I'd probably find it just as annoying on a woman, so yes, you may call it unisex.

So many "loves", a fair share of "likes" and only a few "dislikes"? I'm honestly, completely surprised that so many like or love this scent and that, according to the votes, it's not even an opinion splitter. Well, looks like my nose and this scent simply aren't compatible.

BIG
BIG

It took a while for me to get used to and appreciate Habit rouge. The EDT is starts off with a dose of lemon dust (not powder). Then the sweet spices emerge, notably cinnamon and vanilla and something else warm (amber, maybe ?). The scent, as far as i can tell doesn't smell old-lady or old-fashioned to me; i like wearing it during cold months when i get tired of the gourmands and woody spicy fragrances; it's almost like a getaway/refuge from the heavy strong silage monsters. can't wait to test it in the spring/summer

Rubydartz
Rubydartz

I used to wear the original Habit Rouge in the 1970's. It was a very popular unisex fragrance. I haven't smelt the new version of it. However, a friend was visiting from Paris and was wearing Aeroplane by Detaille and it reminded me of the old version of Habit Rouge. He was kind enough to leave me his bottle when he left.

JazzBirdSinger
JazzBirdSinger

camphorous/medicinal lemon, woody and powdery vanilla. i know this is for men but when i gave it to my brother, he passed on it....to feminine he claimed.
no worries, i love this elegant old fashioned parfum and it will stay close to me.

LaPetite
LaPetite

A very rich scent , elegant and noticeable. I love it even if i usually dislike woody scents.
I gift it to my Dad when i don't know what perfume to get him. Like i do with Eau Sauvage , but this one is more a fall/winter scent .

jglass54
jglass54

I have a love/hate relationship with Habit Rouge. I first owned Habit Rouge in the early '80's in its original incarnation, and although it was a bit too powerful and feminine for my taste, I wore it. I learned to love it and appreciate its uniqueness. I never purchased it again until this past year, when I bought the relaunched update from 2003. I want to love it, but I can't. It is just too powdery and somewhat sour smelling. My husband can't stand it. He says it smells like something an 80-year-old widow would wear....I think that's the Shalimar note that other people on here have described. I love the House of Guerlain and its history/heritage, but they blew it on this relaunch.

Robertland
Robertland

Absolutely a classic.

pipernigrum

This is a very subtle and gorgeous fragrance. Habit Rouge is one of my all time favorite.

Habit Rouge confuses me a little. I'm very much attracted to the scent, yet I'm the one that desires to wear it rather than pass it on to some sexy man to please me.

Initially Habit Rouge has that familiar lemon-vanilla powdery scent, very much like Shalimar. Certainly the presence of the herbs, leather and the patchouli make it less feminine, yet it still has that unmissable, feministic Guerlain vibe.

It smells like sweet incense and cosmetics in a way. It's beautiful, and I can safely say that it's rivalling Shalimar on my wishlist.

As much as I try and picture a man in my head whenever I smell Habit Rouge, I keep getting an image of a tall supermodel with red lips and classic black attire, complete with shiny black heels. Apparently Madonna wears this. I'm not surprised.

It's much sweeter than what you'd expect from a male fragrance, almost being sweeter than Joop! Homme. I like how Luca Turin describes Habit Rouge as 'sweet dust'.

All I can say in regards to Habit Rouge; women should give it a try, manly men may not like it, and anyone with a sweet-tooth or a love for powdery scents will surely adore this.

baronbvp

That's it exactly! Valentino nailed it.

The only way I can pull this off is with about a half-spray; it radiates a citrusy shot and then a patchouli incense vibe but with a leather whip standing the shadowy corner. A full spray elicits a vain aristocrat in the court of Louis XVI; sexually arrogant and strong, not to be ignored, but too much until you get used to him. It really is being John Malkovich's Vicomte de Valmon. Two sprays and you start to approach an aging French whore, powdered rouge overdone, hoping men will notice but with so much scent that only the desperate won't feign sickness and leave the room.

I have no idea how Arnold Schwarzenegger pulls it off, but apparently this is his daily scent. I'm pretty sure it's not mine. But maybe...sometimes...dammit.

I keep getting drawn back in.

Valentino
Valentino

Baronbvp's experience was so similar to mine that I felt compelled to write something. Any man who is into his frags has to worship at the altar of HR at least once in his lifetime. This has a stunningly complex and sparkling aura. It's like a roman candle of citrus, florals, spice and leather. It has all the hallmarks of a great Guerlain. It's unspeakably gorgeous, especially in warm, humid weather.

But; and it's a big but, I just cannot pull this off today without feeling self-conscious! I note that the original HR was 1965, but it seems to me like something from another century! Maybe I would have worn this in the 1800s, if I was part of the French aristocracy. Today it seems almost subversive. Remember John Malkovich's character in Dangerous Liaisons? HR smells like his signature fragrance.
Sexy, mysterious, powerful yes, but ultimately, he is wearing a powdered wig.

baronbvp

Wow. I sprayed a little on the back of my hand from the tester. I was instantly transported into a new age back alley bookstore off the main streets of Paris. An old Chinese man looked up from the desk behind a gentle haze of incense. Sensual afternoon sunlight streamed through the window into the dark interior. The smell of books. Anais Nin. A Ouija board. Dark, powerful sex.

I will go buy it tomorrow, and wear it sometimes forever.

Update: I bought it and it doesn't smell as good on me as it did that first day. Now I alternately hate it and like it. Habit Rouge is very strong and must be applied sparingly or it smells like a feminine, powdery slap in the face. Now I'll put a bit on to kick it old school at home, but in public Baldessarini's Strictly Private works better for me. HR is one of a kind, though, like Fendi is for women. Now I just have to learn to use it properly.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

A man at my work had the original aftershave, he kept it cool for 40 years, and it still smells so much better than this new range. Ofcourse they xoulndt re-release it at top market quality because who would buy it? But they butchered the new version, I smelt all the strong musky ad floral notes, but I also detected pee (sorry, just being honest) the original (even after 4 decades of cooling) is still the best

marioslg
marioslg

A classic scent for guys over 35 or 40.
it's masculine, warm but a bit old fashion. actually I'm a fan of old fashion fragrances as I'm fed up by all these new perfumes that smell citrus or aquatic in a modern way. In some years, male and female perfumes will actually be the same. Men must smell like men and women like women. That's it!

autumn89
autumn89

This is probably the most challenging fragrance i own. One day i like it, the next i despise it.

One thing's for sure; its very strong stuff so do not over do it!

Probably best suited to an older, more refined gentleman.

Maybe one day.

hay81hay
hay81hay

Ratatouille , do any body seen this movie, i don't know why i remember the movie when i smell this, its seems like it was pretty close to be destroyed(by Linguini), but something happen , and fix it(Remy).

i don't blame any body hate it(Skinner), maybe same as the movie, nobody like food prepared by mouse(Horst,Lalo ,,) , but the deep tasty (Anton Ego) will appreciate it . and some body will support it(Colette)

(EDT) i detected leather, vanilla and rose note at drydown , its too complex
i found it oriental incense, worm (with very slight feminine touch which is acceptable), more applicable for cold season.

for me its worth the try i like it , longevity more than 5 hour and with good sillage .

LadyJedi
LadyJedi

Another masterpiece by Guerlain - a warm and comforting classic scent but at the same time very audacious and straightforward, too; it won't let you pass unnoticed. I find it similar to Shalimar, indeed, though I think both frags can be easily worn by men and women. HR is very French and not at all old-fashioned. On my skin the opening is very strong lemon and bergamot in the first half hour and then the scent develops into a beautiful cinnamon and vanilla trail. I will definately buy a huge bottle for my husband and make sure I have it at hand for a spritz on special occasions!

fotolux
fotolux

angel73, Habit Rouge wasn`t the first perfume for men which includes vanilla in its formula. How about Pour Un Homme de Caron (1934)? Habit Rouge for me it`s like men's equivalent of Shalimar. It was a favorite men`s scent of Marlene Dietrich. I like it so much. Soft creamy citrus mixed with vanilla with light leather notes. Just PERFECT!

angel73
angel73

An amazing fragrance for riders wearing "red jacket"....Habit Rouge were the first perfume for men which includes vanilla in its formula...very interesting, warm, class,not overpowering,but with character, not for young men, but for a man of power with charisma. I shall follow at the end of the world a man who would wear it ;-)

curtis.w
curtis.w

I just got a bottle of this in EDC and like it much more than I recall liking the EDT. It's a very bright, sweet citrus up top, but where the EDT seemed to remind me of Lemon Pledge, the EDC is more like a lemon sorbet. I've heard it described as "sweet dust" and the opening is that exactly, which might not sound that great, but it is. At times it gets a bit more floral and at others it's a bit more spicy, but it's mostly lemon over that wonderful Guerlainade. Great lasting power and sillage for a cologne too!

andy
andy

i smelled this from the bottle at a friends house and it smells amazing definately want to buy it

all the notes on here really dont matter much becasue what i smelled was a PERFECT blend and it did NOT have one thing that stuck out like lots of other scents

although its a bit refined and probably better for romantic and formal wear

vdxl

A nice timeless spicy vanilla+light lemon perfume. It really smells good when you wear a leather jacket and you will be perceived as a carefree rebel with style.

guest_Athena
guest_Athena

To me, Habit Rouge smells like the Chinese medicated oil that we Chinese use for headaches. We will rub some of this oil against our temples and the smell is believed to relieve the throbbing pain and the oil penetrates the skin, taking away the headaches with it. I doubt any Chinese person will like this Habit Rouge smell. People will think we are not feeling well if they smell this on us.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

The hubby and I found a sealed bottle of Habit Rouge at a thrift store. I had never smelled it but I knew Guerlain was a quality brand and the price was right, so we bought it.

Ugh.

He's been trying to use it up and there's about 1/3 of the bottle left right now. He kind of likes it, but admits it's not worth purchasing another bottle when this one is gone. As far as I'm concerned, the remainder may have to meet with an unfortunate accident in the near future. LOL!

Guerlain is indeed a quality brand, but I can't stand Habit Rouge. It was overwhelmingly vanilla-powdery when I first smelled it and has become only slightly less intolerable over these last few months. I love vanilla but this is way too sweet and cloying, on men or women. I liken the aroma to vanilla beans and chalk dust on a bed of Johnson and Johnson baby powder. Too much of a bad thing!

I love this male scent, maybe one of the very few I like. It's unmistakable and it's the essence of true elegance. It's fresh at the beginning, but it quickly shapeshift to a glorious, rounded, warm and never cloying male scent. Both elegant & sexy.
I only met one man who wore it only sometimes and he was a very charming man, unfortunately not reliable.
The other ones or friends they all wear some Hugo Boss or Adidas. Some of them are not so bad for me, at least bearable, but they don't compare to real class

nesca1502
nesca1502

I love this fragrance for men, it is very sexy and romantic. I guess it not fits well on all skins chemistries, but the boy I love wears it and it fits him perfectly. This is a fragrance for a chivalrous man, a bit old-fashioned and passionate. A true Guerlain.

Eau de moi
Eau de moi

My husband's fragrance for a night out or special occasion. He only swears by Guerlain. Very nice smell.

Darius HIldenbrandt
Darius HIldenbrandt

It's one of the grandest perfumes in the perfume world. true masterpiece of Guerlain art

shamus1
shamus1

Habit Rouge is a distinctively "French" fragrance for men, plain and simple. It is truly classic and will always buck every trend in fragrance. It's in the same vein as other French classics like Monsieur de Givenchy, Equipage and Chanel Pour Monsieur - extremely elegant but discreet. I can understand why guys who prefer classic British men's fragrances or today's blue-colored colognes might not like HR. Yes, HR is a bit flowery ("oriental woody"?? No way - this is a citrusy floral) and can be worn by a woman, but is in no way a wimp's fragrance. To be able to pull this off, it takes a certain type of man who is very confident with himself, and no, I don't mean a wussy guy. Quite the opposite - isn't a "real man" really a guy who is totally confident in who he is, and really doesn't give a rat's ass about whether or not others deem him to be a wimp? Habit Rouge is for that kind of man.

The whole talk of this being "unisex" is just dumb. The term "unisex fragrance" was created to appease insecure American customers, particularly men, who need to feel secure that they are not wearing the "wrong" fragrance for their gender. In Europe, guys don't generally care what sex wears a particular fragrance - if it smells good, they wear it! That's the way it should be. Any guy who worries so much about whether they're wearing a fragrance "For Men", or whether gays like it, etc., seems to be a man who is very insecure about his masculinity!

As an aside, HR has been reformulated, and this new version is a lot better than the pre-2003 version. Whereas the old HR had a powdery, dandified smell to it, the new HR, although similar to the original, is much drier and lighter. You don't have to worry about smelling like a prissy, uptight fop. The new HR fits in perfectly with sitting near the beach on a dry, sunny day, drinking a cold glass of pastis.

OdeKlotyo
OdeKlotyo

This perfume is pure nostalgia proper. It is heart-wrenchingly beautiful, its evocative power is breathtaking. It is so richly oriental, powdery and decadent, recalling memories of a golden age that's long gone. Even though I can't imagine myself wearing it out, I think it is utterly timeless, and I envy those who can pull it off with confidence. A grand classic in its own right.

Eros
Eros

Zoka wrote: "I like it, I can't imagine it on man, but for women it is great, self confident women. "
(... after deep thinking about this, and sniffing perfume in a shop...)
I would say that wearing this perfume by a woman could got me crazy outbounds (positively). It reminds me episode from movie "Nine 1/2 weeks" with Mickey Rourke and Kim Basinger. I should try...

Powdery woody spicy vanilla. My husband thought it was a women's scent. I, in fact, wear it on occasion, though it can sting my skin sometimes. (Not sure what that's about.) It's like L'Heure Bleue for men.

scentiments
scentiments

I didn't know that this belonged to a woody group. Only the vanilla base leaves a mark. I think its an average one from Guerlain.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

Sole men's smell, which I use. It has wonderful overhead note - fine citruses. Base is noble mixsture of orientals notes. Rich, sunny, stable fragrance. Habit Rouge is men's equivalent Shalimar, but I prefer exactly Habit Rouge. On woman smell femine and originaly, on man - very virile and sympathy.

flannelman
flannelman

A fantastic, warm, classic scent with powdery notes. Citrus start, then a woody floral heart of rose, patchouli and cedar. The vanilla in the base notes is very nicely balanced, and the mossy/leathery dry-down is just superb. Very long-lasting, too. Perfect for winter.

Aiona
Aiona

At first spray, it's lemony-Vitalis, like Shalimar. After a few minutes, you can smell the soapy fougere coming through, with just a little bit of rose. Then 6 minutes into it, all I could smell was patchouli. (I don't like patchouli, and just the tiniest bit seems to overwhelm everything else to me. Like the princess and the pea.) I can still smell the fougere a little bit, but only through the mounds of patchouli.

zoka
zoka

2007

Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette by Guerlain 4.12 out of 5 based on 1118 ratings and 231 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.