Designers » F-H » Floral « Groups

Jardins de Bagatelle Guerlain for women
dislike

tuberose
yellow floral
Jardins de Bagatelle Guerlain for women Pictures Jardins de Bagatelle Guerlain for women Pictures Jardins de Bagatelle Guerlain for women Pictures Jardins de Bagatelle Guerlain for women Pictures Jardins de Bagatelle Guerlain for women Pictures Jardins de Bagatelle Guerlain for women Pictures Jardins de Bagatelle Guerlain for women Pictures Jardins de Bagatelle Guerlain for women Pictures Jardins de Bagatelle Guerlain for women Pictures

Jardins de Bagarelle is the name of a floral female fragrance presented in 1983, created by Jean-Paul Guerlain. This is a rich formula combining jasmine, violet, aldehydes, lemon and bergamot at the top, adding up the heart of gardenia, rose, orange blossom, tuberose, magnolia, ylang-ylang, orchid, lily-of-the-valley and narcissus, ending at the base of tuberose, cedar, vetiver, patchouli, musk and neroli. Robert Granai is the bottle designer. It is available as 15, 50 and 75 ml edp and 65 ml edt perfume concentrate.

Aldehydes Violet Jasmine Bergamot Lemon

Magnolia Tuberose Orange Blossom Gardenia Orchid Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Rose Narcissus

Tuberose Patchouli Musk Vetiver Neroli Cedar

Chelsea Flowers
Enlevement au Serail

Jardins de Bagatelle Fragrance Reviews

JPS1979
JPS1979

When I got home from the Guerlain counter, I found this in my bag. What a nice surprise. Don't even know where to start. While I like some "female" fragrances for myself, I can't see myself wearing this. That being said, I have tested it a couple of times. What a beautiful cluster of floratopia. The sillage is overwhelmingly strong, and my sample was only EDT formulation. I'm not sure about the longevity, but I'm guessing it's not too bad either. I can see how this should be applied lightly, or it would be just too much. Still, this is a very beautiful floral fragrance. Sophisticated, tasteful, refined. This is simply the kind of fragrance you'd love to smell on a beautiful woman passing you by on the street.

Waltzing Matilda
Waltzing Matilda

Ooh ahhh! What a delightful floral! There's subtle woods and grassiness in the background and they lend just a hint of androgyny. It's not a girly girl fragrance - it's mature, pure class and sophisication. The musk and patchouli give a wonderful depth. I bought a used EDT on eBay and I couldn't be happier. I'll be keeping it in my handbag for a quick spritz now and then. Beautiful!!

josesantoscarvalho
josesantoscarvalho

Oh God, what can one say of Jardins de Bagatelle? First time I smelled it, I was at a friends' place, and his Mother wore it! I instantly became in love with Bagatelle! I myself wore Guerlain's Vetiver at the time, so it seemed as they were siblings!
So, the first time I had the chance to offer it, I did! And I still have those memories of more than 20 years ago!
As for me smell IS the memory, I couldn't resist to buy it in the Habit de Fête, both in EdP and EdT!
When I'm nostalgic, I just put a tiny bit on the back of my hand, and I'm there again, in the good old days!
In itself, a great classic and classical fragrance!

WildDove
WildDove

Aldehydic profusion of flowers, very 1960s, the days of Mad Men. Dated but wonderful.

cloyd42
cloyd42

Wow. Just wow. I stumbled upon a bottle and bought it with no idea of what it was or whether I should like it. The first whiff was a bit terrifying--so huge and overwhelmingly sweet. Then... the flowers began to bloom, singly and in bunches. Within minutes I was grinning like an idiot with my wrist glued to my nose. This is being totally immersed in all the flowers there are--like the scene in the Wizard of Oz where they're surrounded by the poppies. I can call out the individual notes but the important thing is the effect of FLOWERS, more flowers than you thought there could be and you love it. There's a strong resemblance to Apres L'Ondee and I'm guessing that's why this was discontinued--too similar to keep both. This is more exuberant and somehow more fun than my beloved Apres L'Ondee. If you stumble upon some, grab it--even if you don't like it, this is precisely what people mean when they talk about a Guerlain scent.

Sillage--you'll make new friends, 4-5 ft if applied too freely
Longevity--3-4 hours
Fabulosity--Marilyn Monroe singing Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
Value to price ratio--how do you measure priceless?

persefoni
persefoni

I smelled it a couple of days ago, and was smitten!! It is as much a floral as a woody-bitter perfume, with tremendous character, and therefore belongs to the love-it-or-hate-it group!

I can smell lots of different flowers co-starring with a vetiver-bergamot-cedar combo. It lingers for hours on end on the skin, and goes through many delicious stages before it settles to a greenish-tuberose-gardenia-ylang veil...

Beautiful stuff!! Impressive conception!

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

This is a bit of a disappointment for me. It's an instant migraine inducer I'm afraid. The top notes are very indolic-I think it must be the jasmine which I prefer to be a little sweeter and fresher. It is an incredibly overpowering scent, typical of the 80s really. Its very odd-L'Heure Bleue and Mitsouko were created 70+ years before Jardins de Bagatelle and yet they are timeless, ageless, and are as perfect today as they must have been back then, but JdB is dated and fusty, and very very 80s-its as outdated as giant Dynasty shoulder pads and legwarmers. I don't find it a joyful floral scent, to me this is a muddy, dark and sinister fragrance, like being trapped in a dark maze between hedgerows covered in heavy lush flowers. Its rich and heady and makes you whirl, but its feminine in a sort of Medusa way. I can imagine Maleficent dabbing this on every day. It dries down to a big burst of tuberose, rather suffocating and overpowering exactly like Fracas. This isn't a scent for quiet people, this is a scent that shouts 'Look at me, I've arrived!' while you fling your fur coat into the corner and down your first glass of champagne.

tkomaigo77
tkomaigo77

This fragrance is beautiful but extremely powerful, quite sticky and VERY 1980s. I'd throw it into the same category as Beautiful by Estée Lauder. I couldn't wear it (and can't imagine a time or place where someone would) but gorgeous in its own right and definitely worth testing!

Dinkum
Dinkum

This is for the vintage EDT:

Such a lovely, joyous smell. A potent brew, packed with flowers and spices. Funny, I think theres is mint in it, honeysuckle as well. But neither of these notes are listed.

Well, it´s fresh and cool, herby and minty. But theres definitely some naughty little creature hiding somewhere in this garden.... ;)

themonkeys
themonkeys

another lovely remembered fragrance

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

This is an enigma to me. It's like all the strongest smelling flowers dancing in one bottle. The first blast was heady banana-like burst of white florals. Three minutes later, I get a hint of orchid (the way I smell it in Chloe Love), then even later, I get a whiff of sweet pea. 30 minutes later, all the headiness is gone. The floral dance is over and its chypre phase started. I get a whiff of Tresor, Colors de Benetton, and Heno de Pravia soap.

I chanced upon a full sized bottle from 2005 and oh my goodness, this perfume is so potent. I'd say it's interesting but it is definitely not love at first sniff for me.

magnolia_xx
magnolia_xx

Unluckily this fragrance is far too indolic for my liking. I used to think it had civet among the basenotes but I do not see it listed, therefore I suppose it must be all the white flowers.
So sad, as I usually love Guerlain's perfumes and it is very disappointing for me to smell dirty toilet in the background of all these beautiful flowers :-/

nananessa
nananessa

Another stunning masterpiece from Guerlain but this one is a departure from any other Guerlain fragrance I have used.

Amazing how this true TUBEROSE QUEEN reigns so regally among the flowers of her court. She allows each lovely flower to add to the magic as Queen Tuberose takes her throne.

Guerlain has done it again with taking a heady, intoxicating scent of tuberose & building a perfectly structured fragrance around it. Utter brilliance for tuberose lovers. And with good sillage & longevity, too, of course!

Classy. Romantic. Addictive. Wear with caution. You are BOUND to entice someone!

Catty
Catty

I have the same experience than Perfumeddictio. This scent begins as a gentle and refined Tuberose in my Skin, and then it turns itself spicy.

It´s really a very classy, rich and high quality scent. Jardins belong to the "Grande Parfümerie" era. You spray it just once and it will stay with you, being noticeable the whole day.

It´s not a loud/generic Tuberose, but a very elegant, refined one.

It´s indeed a very beutiful scent!

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

I just received a lovely bottle of the vintage version. Jardins de Bagatelle smells like money. Ladies you know what I mean. That perfume that just smells expensive and classy. This is Jardins. It actually has a niche quality about it - not a common scent especially in today's world. I get the florals but this turns spice on my skin and creates an entire different richer deeper aroma then when first sprayed. Clinique Elixir does this on me as well. Goes out with much power but after an hour it turns into a lovely deeper scent that just stays with you the entire day.

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

Once on a flight to Europe, a woman sat beside me in the airplane and I smelled gorgeous perfume. I had to ask what it was : she said Jardins de Bagatelle. i thought that perfume was very old ! But whew, what a nice floral experience. It doesnt slap you on the face, but it does create an impression. Another passenger said it was gorgeous. Love it. When I googled it, of course, it was by an outstanding creator- Jean Paul Guerlain. Doesnt smell like Lou Lou, Fracas, or whatever...FAR from it ! Bought a bottle, gave another bottle to my bestfriend !

I smelled the new formula in EdP and it was so strong!
Mine from 80s was strong indeed but more balanced. The new formula has something more synthetical in it and the flowers seem even more juicy and loaded, but the overall idea is kept, so it could be fine anyway for JdB fans.
I sprayed twice on my wrist and I was totally overwhelmed. It lasted for hours at full power and was almost too much. It would be better to dab.

valenceis
valenceis

I love the white floral character of Jardins de Bagatelle. It's not too "waxy", nor syrupy-sweet, nor is it too clean, fresh-faced or innocent. Not that any of these characteristics are actually bad in my mind. But this just happens to be something else. It's brighter. More effervescent.

I hate to say that many white florals sort of make a mockery of femininity. They are either totally innocent or totally naughty. I resent this! The virgin/whore dichotomy, again. Let it be said that the female experience offers much, much more than this and it takes a barbaric, inexperienced mind to think that women only aim to live in some dark, depraved shadow or bright, heavenly light. People's notions of romance can in fact be just that dualistic.

JdB is sensual. It is strikingly feminine. It straddles the line of inappropriate and innocent. It's liberated, a little bit dangerous but you can still sense the vulnerability. Very appropriate for the women of it's time. I can imagine Madonna in her early 30s wearing something like this. It's spiritual and passionate, much like her.

wordsalad
wordsalad

My first perfume love. In the spring of 1989 I was an american exchange student in Scotland. My textile school took a spring class trip to Paris. All the scottish girls were very sophisticated in terms of beauty and frangrance. My roommates all went to Guerlain the first day in Paris and bought huge bottles of Jardins de Bagatelle. I still remember the large room in the Marais hotel with tons of girlie clothes thrown about on the beds and massive bottles of chic perfume! I purchased a bottle a few years later and it brought back that fabulous spring in Paris, seeing the world for the first time through young eyes. Fresh, beautiful scent; fresh air markets and manicured gardens. This began my long love affair with Guerlain perfumes.

Decodawn
Decodawn

Beautiful classic fragrance from the 80's, very close copy is Lou Lou by Cacherel

greenelf

White floral heaven! This was a favorite of mine for years--one of the most feminine scents ever! Lasts like crazy on me--and never ignored!

birdy
birdy

very natural and very discrete. it's exactly the same smell of hammams in north africa: really if you never go to a hammam a really traditional one, you have an idea of what it smells.
imagine the fragrance of jardins de bagatelle, in a big large bathroom with marble and just little light, all you have is a cloud of hot steam and you hear the sound of water in backet.
women use black soap (savon noir), ghassoul with cloves,lavender, rose petals water,...
that is the atmosphere of jardins de bagatelle, a very maghrebine fragrance, very natural, clean and innocent.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I stopped at the Guerlain counter today to pick up a bottle, and while I was there, I sprayed a good dose of JdB EdT on my wrist and neck, in order to give it a really good try. Interestingly, this is a scent that for me is extremely difficult to review because what I get from it is different from what I see in the pyramid. But I'll try anyway.

To me, Jardin de bagatelle EdT opens with a sweet dewy tuberose/jasmine combo, some very fresh citrus, and an equal dose of... something that reminds me very strongly of oakmoss, although my brain tries to tell me it is aldehyde (because it knows). If I didn't know any better, I'd really think this is tuberose/oakmoss. Maybe is it a trick of some of the woodier base notes? Maybe ylang ylang and violet? I'm wondering if this is why I get this impression.

I am getting none of the cold and sharp "powder" of typical light aldehyde florals here(think Caleche, no5 Eau premiere, etc). It's totally different.

This is aldehyde floral as I have never ever smelled it. And to my surprise, I find it delightful, refreshing and not at all dated or overwhelming. I could get a bottle of this in EdT and spray it on all day, it's that pretty and refreshing and unusual to me. And I usually don't fare well with tuberose scents!! A very good Spring time fragrance, like a breath of fresh air... but a classic one, with a vetiver smoke twirling in the far distance, not as innocent as it seems. This is what a light Spring floral scent used to smell like in the early 80s, I guess.

I think this is a love or hate kind of fragrance, but I believe if you like Mitsouko, you'll also like JdB. It just has that dual nature to it, warm and cold at the same time. If Mitsouko was Autumn, JdB would be her Spring sister...

varykino
varykino

I wore Jardins de Bagatelle in 1994, the year I married. It was my wedding and my honeymoon fragrance. I remember how I adored it. I found it so beautiful, light-hearted and sparkling like champagne, perfectly suited to such a happy year of my life.

I didn't renew that bottle; I think it was a simple matter of money and priorities back then. But I received a small EdP decant today and have been wearing this wonderful perfume again for the first time in probably fifteen years, maybe more. It brought an instant smile and a sigh of recognition, and my husband sniffed my hair and remembered it too (this is no given thing!) and yes, smiled. :)

I can't dissect the wealth of floral notes in JdB. It comes across predominantly rosy to me, but it's more an overall impression like a riotous rose garden, than a note I can tell apart. Emerson's famous words 'The earth laughs in flowers' could have been made for JdB. The drydown is rich, tender, intoxicating (and still, to my nose, rosy). Jardins de Bagatelle is joyful and sunny, warm and elegant, a soprano aria of a perfume — and while the volume is controllable through application, it won't ever act like a discreet little wallflower scent.

And in case there should remain any doubt, I am head over heels in love with it all over!

suhaesa
suhaesa

now this is the type of floral perfume i can literally faint or get severe headaches if i over spray or even smell i wish i didn't spray it but i wanted to review its a jasmine bomb..
those who love jasmine will love this

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

This is review goes for vintage edt.

Oh my, this is such a beautiful flower explosion! The flower blend is superb, excellent, unbeatable. You can get many notes as it continues to change towards cheerful chypre floral guerlainish dry down. It happily lasts a very long time on my not so easy skin.

In the middle way between 70s and 80s florals but with Guerlain's house extra quality.

I love it. Love it. Love it. Love it.

If you like aldehydes, white flowers, specially gardenia and tuberose; if you like fragrances to evolve and change and surprise you with their different reaction to different weather and skin conditions; if you feel attraction for floral and chypres, give this one a try.

And don't believe everything you read, it has little to do with Fracas, even less with Carnal Flower apart for containing tuberose; neither is it a sillage killer or headache inducing (unless you are one of those which get headaches with real flowers).

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

At one point I was really worried that I would never be able to get this fragrance since Guerlain decided to discontinue the original bottle. Because of that, my SA at the Guerlain counter was so nice that she gave me a 5ml atomizer filled with JdB for the moment and continued to help me order the fragrance from Paris. I finally got my bottle of JdB Habit de Fete EDP (manufactured in April 2012) yesterday. It was absolutely gorgeous liked the 2008 version that I tried and fell in love with. Although the fragrance is no longer in its original bottle, it is still the fragrance I love and I'm satisfied with what I have now.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Jardins de Bagatelle is human flight made fragrance.
With industry and engineering it raises the floral perfume above its normal terrestrial terrain.

True, some will not like the fact that to be transported thus requires propane, metal moving parts and an indelicate amount of heat.

So be it. To experience the sensation of being suspended as though on a floral cloud, peering down on manicured parkland, this seems a very small price to pay.

Aldehydes unquestionably own the opening.

A little softened by violet they provide the massive lift required to raise the burgeoning flower stuffed envelope of a scent off the ground.

Soon enough it becomes apparent that our basket’s cargo is primarily of white flowers, jasmine and tuberose principally, though there is blossom too and to my nose narcisse and not a little rose.

A complex and highly wrought affair there is an earthiness underneath.

A little vetiver and fir here perhaps, something that hints a return to the ground will always be necessary.

The overall effect is one of a rather beautiful but very much last-century-moderne bouquet wrapped in sparkling cellophane.

It is unfathomably fashionable to dislike this fragrance.

In truth it is an invention out of its time: a hot balloon in an age of jet liners and supersonic aeroplanes.

So much the better for it.

Let others be squashed into their sausage shaped and winged sardine cans.

I will always opt to fly open air.

There can be no more elegant means to ascend florally up, up and away.

******

On the last occasion I checked balloon flights were available to all, but few gentlemen these days seem to have the Montgolfiers’ courage.

MLK
MLK

I love this perfume and so does my husband every time I wear it. I have 3 bottles as I don't want to run out of this fragrance. Lucky that it's formulated so well that a little goes a long way. It is very elegant still today, will always be a classic for me...... And also very classy.

Peachply
Peachply

I wore this briefly in the 90's and really wanted to love it but ran into a little headache inducing problem almost every time...I think it's the tuberose-gardenia combo that overwhelmed me on this one. Too bad because I so loved it just was unable to tolerate it on me.

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

I had this one at the end of 1990s. And now there is coming another one. Obviously its not the same than it was back then, box is different. But I believe this is equally beautifull. And very much discontinued. People, if You have loved Jardins de Bagatelle, plese hurry to reorder. Soon there is no available classic white floral class bottle. *Hugs*

shanghaifleur
shanghaifleur

I don't know about the new reformulated version, but Les Jardins de Bagatelles original version is to me THE emblematic perfume of the 80's. I was a child then, and almost all my older female relatives wore this perfume. Along with Shalimar, Les Jardins de Bagatelles is one of my very first olfactive memories and it's full of nostalgia. It's a true posh flowery perfume, opulent with an amazing sillage. It's heady and has strong personality without ever being obnoxious, to be worn by equally strong women. It's a unique composition with a deep feminine complexity. I love it.

Rougesang
Rougesang

Forse sarò l'unica a non essere entusiasta di questa fragranza, ma sulla mia pelle dopo l'iniziale esplosione floreale lascia un sentore di cenere e fumo. L'avevo acquistata a scatola chiusa dopo averne sentito dire meraviglie e devo ammettere che è stato il mio peggior acquisto in fatto di profumi.

Migalex
Migalex

This is to me by far the nicest of all olf Guerlain scents. Although different, it does remind me a lot of Aqua di Gio, without making me think of rotten flower jar water, as Aqua di Gio does. I do find Jardins de Bagatelle very pleasant, unlike practically all old guerlain scents,in part I think for not smelling of those balsams at Guerlain they liked so much in the past and used in to me a horrible way. I think that trend stopped after Samsara in which they managed to get an also apparently extremely synthetical scent from sandal, Jasmine and Amber. Most of their current fragrances have a much less strong character but to me are much more pleasant, and a completely different type of scent, vanilla sweet (too much for my taste) and floral. I do not know what caused that change of direction. Jardins de Bagatelle is closer to this new line than the other old Guerlain scents.

lenorebarton
lenorebarton

I adore big white florals! This 'fume is a great example. First spray is a tuberose bomb. A few minutes later the aldehydes kick in, a little sweet and lemony. On the dry down, I get vetiver and some of the softer florals poking through. Even many hours later I get the scent of cedar and little wiffs of white flowers. I like the irony of this big, over the top scent being named "bagatelle"-something small, a trifle. Even the bottle is beautiful!
This is not something for the office. It is a luxury, to be worn by a grown confident woman-either for her own enjoyment or out on the town.

reborn
reborn

to my nose it smells like burned milk.Sorry

Heliotropea
Heliotropea

Most of the reviews here are about the vintage JDB. Has anyone anything to say about the reformulated version ? I remember I loved this once, a long time ago and I'd really be thrilled to have it on my shelf again but it's quite expensive and I'd like to know more before emptying my wallet on this one.

lapurrla

I have the pictured bottle, in fact it's my third. I finally found it online last year and am thrilled to own it again. Only 30 mls! But still an unused vintage bottle of JdB. Anyway, we had a crazy warm, rain and thunder and lightning day here in Adelaide and I had to decide which perfume was right because I had to go out. And as you all know, this is very important. Soooo, I found my JdB hiding in my perfume drawer! Now I've realised I'm not as game to wear a big perfume as I used to be. Times have changed and it seems they've changed me. I used to spray this on with reckless abandon. But I need to be sensitive to others. And when you've thought you'll suffocate at the cinema or at work or wherever, because of someone's reckless spraying, you realise this is important. Going to my club meeting tonight I was conscious that my perfume might be a little strong, so I'd sprayed lightly and sat at the back. It's spring and I consider this the perfect time to wear it. I don't want to wear just "office-friendly" fragrances. For me it is just a luxury to be able to wallow in this heavenly scent. I consider it a treasure. I hope everyone here has a few fragrances they treasure. It might be a small thing, but perfume really can add a little sparkle to life's dull moments.
Like to add that if you click on tuberose and scroll down you'll find an EXCELLENT article! C'est Moi by Etienne Aigner reminds me of this so much, if that helps anyone, it's also a rich and heady garden of delights! And I'm happy to visit it alone if no-one else wants to come along.

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

I think you need to be both a tuberose and gardenia fan to cope with this one. The notes of both flowers are strong and dominant and flavour the whole accord from start to finish. Luckily the tuberose is not the headache-inducing sort and is quite tasteful and refined in the way it makes itself known. The fragrance is fairly linear, and one-dimensional, I never really noticed it morph into something multi-dimensional, it was more like being presented a big, pretty tuberose and gardenia bouquet mix and it remaining that way. I can imagine it being a nice addition to sitting in a back garden in summer in a white dress sipping tonic water and lemon spritz...or something stronger.
edit: I notice that tuberose is in BOTH the middle AND base notes! As a backseat perfume critic I might be bold enough to say that I think that the scent would have been better to remove the tuberose from the base notes so it would be allowed to drift or "morph" into something a little different and more mellow. Just my humble opinion.

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

It is said that Jean-Paul Guerlain got his inspiration for Jardins de Bagatelle from the garden of the same name located on the edge of the Bois de Bologne in Paris. Jardins de Bagatelle in Paris is the garden known to Parisians for the (over) 700 different species of roses.
So, is this a rose garden in a bottle? Does it smell strong or is this a well behaved close to the skin Lady? Well, when he created this in 1983 it was the decade of modern decadence in perfumery, everything was loud and heavy, no serene, demure fragrance, no, rather strong and powerful scents that greeted you with a big embrace and still said goodbye long after the wearer was gone.
Too much? Perhaps, but, I have a penchant for certain 80s scents and this character trade is loveable in many of them, true, it's not everyones cup of tea, but I think that there is a time and a place were most of us want a scent that makes a big statement, where we are fatigued of 'working floor demure scents' and 'hardly there close to the skin apparitions of smell'.
With that in mind I can say that JdB is a true 80s floral. A powerhouse that needs the right people to love it and the right place to shine:

Loud gardenia and tuberoses drenched in violets open up on my skin after the first spray, this is the moment you know if your hand was heavy, too much and you might feel overwhelmed, just enough and you are surrounded with a scent that reminds me of evenings in Paris where Maxime's was in full swing and the place to be; and perfumes were heavy and intoxicating.
In the distance a blooming magnolia note accompanied by a stubborn jasmine that is (at least on my skin) flirting with a cedar note. Then, a soapy neroli note comes and adds to the sultry and powdery dry-down that changes the vibe of JdB into something reminiscent of an older classic: Houbigant's Quelques Fleurs (my grandmothers favourite.) The vibe of JdB will change throughout the whole time it's on your skin. It is a chameleon of moods and somehow seems to 'rearrange' its notes. It's quite odd yet never boring!

Do I love this? Yes, when in the right mood this modern classic is one of a kind and a hothouse of precious florals. Luxurious, rich and a 'love me or hate me scent'. A unique and quite obscure Guerlain and a must sniff for all who like scents in the vein of: Fraca's, Quelques Fleurs and white florals mixed with roses in general.

Silage is: "I am here, but, you knew that already". -- Longevity is a good 10+ hours.

The perfect original scent for a night out in a big city where you don't want to be drowned out. This Parisian garden will bloom best on your skin during the colder months. Try it and smell a not so well behaved Parisian lady who likes to upstage the other guests and leaves a trail of white florals with a musky PS when she leaves. Enjoy! : )

Lucc30
Lucc30

Must have this again - even though I liked the perfumed body lotion better as it was more subtle and mascukine for me. I got complimented by girls and ladies all the time for my masculine fragrance.

Jarrah
Jarrah

This is one of those perfumes where if sprayed a little on pulse points and then spray another brand EDT all over the body it will smell really good and totally unique.
It never fails me

RachelGrigg
RachelGrigg

I love guerlain, but I just sampled a vintage end of bottle I won for peanuts on eBay, just because. And.... It confirmed that I really cannot cannot do white florals Jasmine etc. I've given it a decent amount of time, but for me it's a bit of a scrubber. It smells just like a body lotion I once had. Sorry.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

WOW and GOSH! And that's all I can say at the moment after having iit on my wrist for 20 mins......it is VERY potent...will review later after my head stopped spinning lol

Ok so here goes, I have sprayed this on my wrist and on a piece of clothing. After 7 hours no scent left on my wrist and faint floral scent on clothes.
The actual perfume is very complex and complicated. After the initial 'Oh my goodness, what is this???' I get quite heavy jasmine followed by gardenia. Thereafter different flowers seem to be popping up but overall the scent is like a walk through a very posh english estate garden on a hot sunny day. It is quite heady and intoxicating and not really
Iike anythng I have smelt before.
Strangely the drydown reminds me a bit of Moments by Priscilla Presley...my favourite perfume in my 20s...but I would't say this perfume is suited for a young girl. On the contrary, this is one of those perfumes like Chanel...one off, strangely unusual, classy and best used for special occassions.

rosecat
rosecat

"Iivanita" its Nothing like carnal flower or fracas! It's very old fashioned kind of smell, there is a kind of white floral with soapy, musky/woody dry down, but a very aldehyde. Try it at Guerlain counter department stores!

ashyashy
ashyashy

Just got it a week ago online based on the good feelings i remembered from the test paper. but it is truely disappointing when it is on the skin. yes, it does smell like a bunch of nice flowers but with no staying power and it smells like from older generation. i will spray it at spring, summer days when go to work but definitely nothing special that you will remember it if u place it among with other collections of perfume in your warbrobe. I wouldnt recommend anyone to buy if without testing on skin and def dun buy if you think it is expensive, not worth it.

iivanita
iivanita

can anyone help on this? how is it compared to fracas? and carnal flower?
i am afraid from fracas casue it has oakmoss it makes the parfume too strong for my sensitive nose :) hehe, many thanks!

Kharnak
Kharnak

Strongly Aldehydic flowery with a "bright" citrus base. Look at the Ads, that's what it's like. My mother remembers this as a very "Happy" Fragrance. 1983 is also the year i was born.
It is very complex. For those of you familiar with the individual flowers, they're there.
The Floral Bouquet is distinctive: Neroli Narcissus, Lily of the Valley, sweet Jasmine, and especially Gardenias, known for having a very potent "juicy white flower" smell, almost oily.
It may seem as a very common fragrance, but i can appreciate how balanced it is. It's refined and definitely "Happy" and bright, like the Ads show.
Suitable for all ages, from girly, flirty, demure, to Mature. Any woman can wear this, Any time of year. Projection is Huge. Lasts all day and dries down to a "Green" rooty Vetiver Patchouli. This one's a bit costly, and not easy to get... See if you can get a vintage bottle to test.

jasmasid
jasmasid

The most disappointing Guerlain I have ever encountered! Perhaps my mini was a reformulated version because all the reviewers here, particularly those who kept their bottles from the 1980s, seem to rave about this one.
There's nothing wrong with the actual scent but it reminded me too much of household cleaners and lavatory disinfectant. Probably the same pre-composed chemical accords make up both these products? Can one really blame a perfume if the same formula is used for furniture polish or oven-cleaner?

OMG! I smelled this yesterday and today from an old sample from the '80s while clearing my old stash of samples and mini and I had such a good feeling from it that I was almost brought to tears! I'm a little bit obsessed with perfumes, I know...
Almost all my old stuff from the '80s were too old and evaporated or ruined, even if I kept them sealed and in a dark place. I sent all to trash.
Jardins de Bagatelle was as pure and fresh as it was.
And what an incredible, lovely, intense yet balanced floral it is! When Guerlain did not waterdown its perfumes and didn't change raw material for less quality perfumes smelled like this!
I didn't try the new version because this is one of the Guerlains that totally disappeared from Italian market. Only one official small counter in Milan still carries a few oldies. The beautiful one brand shop was closed many years ago.
Now only newest Guerlains are barely kept in perfume stores and 90% of SA don't even know that Guerlain made perfumes called Jardins de Bagatelle, L'Heure Bleue, Nahema...
Jardins de Bagatelle is an absolute must-try for any floral lover, especially for tuberose, but it is much more than plain tuberose. It's like walking in a sunny garden full of big thick white flowers and feeling completely enveloped in their perfume.
This is a masterpiece! It lasted all night on my skin till the morning after and only dabbed 2 drops!
Dabbing is probably the best whey to enjoy these old Guerlains. I agree with those who think that spraying brings out more aldehydes.
I love the initial very gentle burst of bergamot always together with flowers.
I love the fact the flowers stays on my skin throught the whole evolution of the scent. The drydown is not merely your usual stiff sandalwood (chemical) plus some vanillin thrown for good measure.
Flowers are there till the ned and they seem to chant!
JdB is a happy scent with a knowing attitude. Not a soft, faint, girlish floral, not even a grand dame in old velvet. JdB is happy, strong and full of secret sensuality which is not dependent on sexy clichè, rather a personal attitude out of schemes.

vanillaberry
vanillaberry

I wore this during my college years. It was simply the perfume of the 1980's. I loved it. I felt so young, and beautiful wearing it. It was like a spring garden, blossoming everytime you wore it. It always lifted my mood.

Fizzy
Fizzy

The best refined tuberose scent I know about. If you dab the EdP, you get a beautiful creamy tuberose and floral clean scent, if you spray it, you get first strong aldehydic smell and then this beautiful tuberose. It is a deep, bold and loud fragrance with excellent silage and excellent longevity. Perfect for day, spring, fall and winter. For summer it is maybe too deep.

krmarich
krmarich

Released at the same time as YSL Paris, this big floral gem was lost in the shuffle. I had all of the makings of a blockbuster. It ended up just "the latest Guerlain". It is frankly one of the best florals from Guerlain with not one but several flowers in the centerpiece. It is a dense fairy garden(s) filled with so many flowers. Oddly, the Guerlainade is missing.

The flowers just keep developing for hours. It has a southern appeal. A vacation in Florida or the Mediterranean come to mind. Gardenia, magnolia, tuberose and neroli all play a larger than imagined role. Rose is there, but only has a supporting role. The longevity is a good 12 hours with a soft chypre closing. Altogether, an epic drama! It is pure flora-therepy.

lapurrla

Someone said this is the overlooked Guerlain. I didn't realise. For me it's THE Guerlain. Perhaps because I found it in my teens in the 80's at a time when I discovered the wonders of the perfume counter!!!! It has always had me. I haven't owned it for a while because its price, like its quality, is high (so I've been stalking a few bottles on eBay).

No matter how many years pass, if I see a Guerlain counter & I'm not wearing fragrance I try some on, & I never fail to be transported to my secret garden. This isn't one of my passing infatuations.

Edit:Feb 2012. A bottle arrived in time for Christmas all the way from Italy. The very same as my first bottle. Someone had a perfume stash, thank goodness.

lucifera
lucifera

for a vintage this smells pretty good! not over dated or rancy at all! its a nice floral.,

Lady Love
Lady Love

One of the best openings, Jasmin and Violet! Jummm!!!

but then.... this turns so Greeny, maybe 'Jardin' has to much patchouli, and in this case, don't fit very well with Tuberose and Gardenia notes.

I love most Guerlain perfumes, but this one smell like a bad version of Fracas.

Cereza
Cereza

Oh wow, how did I miss this beauty before? It's a marvelous floral, full of rich, feminine and queen-like white flowers in a wonderful bouquet or "jardin" of many flowers. I do not get adelhyde and it is not soapy on me, thanks god, as I do not like smelling like soap. Instead I get this alluring, seductive, a bit powdery smell of flowers which reminds me of being in garden at the summertime when all of them bloom.

I think this would be a pefect wedding perfume. Lovely. This wonder should be on my shelf right next to other creation by Guerlain which I adore - Mitsouko.

PivoineRouge
PivoineRouge

After wondering around fragrances for twenty years, I have found my signature scent. I am twenty-one.

I happened upon this fragrance when my mother bought it out of a whim. I had glanced at the notes, gave it a go, then stored it away on my shelves. Later, I went to buy my mother HER signature scent, Vol de Nuit, for Christmas. The lady behind the Guerlain counter asked if I wished a sample for myself.

"I don't know. I don't like heavy, musky smells."

"How about this one?"

She brought out Jardins de Bagatelle. I had told her that I already possessed the fragrance, but she gave me a spritz anyway, telling me that she "just knew I'd love it".

The fragrance, evidently, is "me"; many of my friends have informed me thus. They've never told me that it reminds them of an old lady, and I certainly don't dress like one, so the age reflected by the scent is probably the discrepancy between the wearer and the scent itself.

Malegria
Malegria

In my opinion, Jardins de Bagatelle has a multiple personality disorder.
It wants to be too many perfumes at once. A shapeshifter, it does not know what it wants - to charm, to puzzle, to impress or to bewilder? Starts with awesome bunch of pure white florals with rose and gardenia dominating ( YSL`s Paris came to mind), then decides to appeal to your gourmand side with it`s peachy-like, creamy personality with an earthy edge (Tresor edp?). My favorite part of it ended to be the dry down, when the perfume "settled" and became poised and calm - still holding the banner of white florals up high.

harlequin1572
harlequin1572

Dearest kastehelmi, I got to try the EDP, and I'd send you some if I could - unfortunately, I had to resort to stealing a dab from my mom's vintage mini...

Anyway, your guess was dead on: IMMEDIATELY after application, and all the way through, the EDP is all about the base (maybe not so much about the tuberose). Though every note listed in the base is detectable, it all comes down to one really strong number - the neroli (I was surprised too - expected way more patchouli). The tuberose is just lovely here (I hate it usually) - just a melting, unifying creaminess, never dominating. Other flowers never really happen, except as a suggestion. Strangely modern- not musty or dirty at all, and the aldehydes disappear without a soapy trace pretty quickly. Pretty unisex, too.

Jardins de Bagatelle appears to be the perfect white floral, and indeed it has been composed well.

This fragrance opens with a rich, powdery bouquet of jasmine, tuberose, gardenia, white rose and lily of the valley. It's all innocent, creamy and beautiful.

I was delighting in this fragrance for quite some time, appreciating the beauty of a well-done white floral but also knowing that I'd never wear it in my youthful years, due to its refined and classic appeal. Jardins de Bagatelle is a far better representation of white florals than Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, Kai or Annick Goutal's Gardenia Passion.

I was ready to place this fragrance in the category of some of the best florals I've had the privilege to smell, when I noted a strong, dry vetiver accord that didn't mesh well with my chemistry.

Unfortunately all that flowery creaminess had vanished, leaving me with a masculine, soapy and unremarkable vetiver and musk blend. For some they have been able to smell the patchouli, violet and rich woods, however it looks like I got the bad end of the stick.

Despite the drydown being a drawback, the moments leading up to it was absolutely, exquisitely beautiful. The way I see it, although I can not wear this fragrance myself, I will certainly appreciate it on those who can.

guest_cookinuptrouble
guest_cookinuptrouble

For me, Jardins de Bagatelle is the smell of love. My first love wore this fragrance and it had me spellbound from the moment I met her. In time we went our separate ways, yet I still dream of her heavenly scent some 16 years later. The floral scent is intoxicating and exactly what a beautiful woman should smell like.

maatgirl
maatgirl

Oh Catbiscuit--please try JdB again, in vintage form if possible. This reminds me of my beloved Chamade, with two differences: one, it is not green when first applied (though it does have an undeniable freshness in its topnotes), and two, it has a luscious rosiness in its heart that is just a joy to experience. A third difference is that it is more linear than Chamade, but the rosiness is so appealing that I don't mind.
In short, I just used up a vintage mini which I put into an atomizer a couple of weeks ago, and I am jonesin' for more. This is an often overlooked Guerlain, and an underrated one too. Don't belive the hype.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Maybe I got a degraded sample but this just smelt gross to me. The most apt word to describe it is fetid. Like rotting vegetation.

I would number it amongst the top 3 worst perfumes I have had the displeasure to sample. I washed it off before it could dig its wicked little roots into my soul.

Manya
Manya

This fragrance smells like a huge blossoming magnolia tree!

It is very beautiful, one of the prettiest florals ever in my opinion, but the aldehydes make it impossible for me to wear it :/

It is incredibly longlasting- after over twelve hours and a shower, I still get a faint skinscent on my wrist.

a.k.a.warum
a.k.a.warum

For my birthday I took a trip to an independent perfume store with many choices. We talked about historic perfumes, tried a couple of things on my partner, and then she asked me, "What kind of perfume do you like?" All of a sudden I became shy and muttered, "floral." She opened up a bottle of Houbigant Quelques Fleurs Originale and I inhaled a familiar smell of a giant flower bouquet. "This turns into a tobacco leaf on me," I said. She didn't believe me, but I applied and boy it did.

I was transported back to that place and that experience when I put on Jardins de Bagatelle. It started very similarly, like a big bouquet of flowers. For a moment I thought that tobacco leaf will appear right away. It did not. It stayed a fresh giant bouquet of flowers for many hours. At one point tuberose (or whatever Fracas is made of) dominated the composition, but then it get back to a bouquet. It lasted impressive 5+ hours from a tiny spritz on my hand. I'll be revisiting Jardins de Bagatelle quite soon, I'm sure.

P.S. I revisited, sprayed more liberally and was reminded of Quelques Fleurs even more!

Jardins de bagatelle est une promenade dans un jardin enchante , tout les souvenirs de Monet accompagnent ma ballade pendant que ma tete tourne, c'est une histoire ou le temps n'existe plus!

allexa27
allexa27

So much tuberose!It is similar to Fracas,but much,much better!The tuberose is much more thicker and more buttery.Seductive

ebijou
ebijou

I think other reviewers have described this one very well (Sherapop, what a great description!) I only want to add that it has a great staying power (I have the EDP). I think it's appropriate for all occasions (I think it's great for work), and also all year around. As others have mentionned, it's a good balance between clean and seductive... very classy without being overwhelming. To me, ladies of every age could wear Jardins de bagatelle. I love it, my new favorite.

Guerlain's JARDINS DE BAGATELLE is an extraordinary perfume, constructed like a sonata, with three very distinct movements. To wear this edp is to go on a journey.

I am greeted by a pleasing floral aldehyde opening. I find myself walking through a sunny field of flowers that continue to increase in variety and number as a proceed. Suddenly I find myself entirely covered by flowers of every color and shape! Just when I think that I may succumb, dive into a thick blanket of velvety leaves, the flowers begin to depart, one by one, leaving at the end a deep layer of vetiver, cedar, and neroli, with a touch of patchouli and musk. This darker chypre-like layer stays with me for hours, while the memory of the florals lightly lingers behind.

JARDINS DE BAGATELLE unfolds as three distinct but harmoniously related perfumes. The plural is correct: gardens. I would classify this as:

part 1: floral aldehyde
part 2: floral
part 3 floral chypre

magie
magie

This and Dior Pure Poison are without a doubt my two favorite white florals. This used to be my signature scent years ago when I was trying to stick to one perfume. It is elegant,classy,and still a little sassy. Very romantic,it is perfect for that special occasion when you want to smell womanly. The tuberose is perfect,not cloying at all. In fact all the flowers seem to blend beautifully to create as amazing floral bouquet. The silage is great and a little goes a long way, and is perfect for day or night. This is one of the true Guerlain classics.

swedeangel
swedeangel

It is fantastic! Got it as a teeny ,from my soon to be husband - and i keep coming back to it!
Its floral,tender and so classy . Smells like a elegant buquet of flowers from your florist ,and you can really feel that this is a expensive qualityperfume,not cheap .

mymlan
mymlan

Jardins de Bagatelle is a marvellous fragrance. Like a big bouquet of the gardens most beautiful flowers mixed with a few cooling herbs like menthe and basil. Or perhaps a garden after a cooling rain. It is both warm and cool, heady and clear. The aroma from each flower appears in a complete clarity. But then, after a while, something shady evolves from beneath and gives the perfume a more complex and dark character, not liked by everyone. Sexy to others. A challenge to wear I would say, but I'm totally in love.

eskarina62
eskarina62

It does smell of flowers and purity and cleansiness.

But there is more to it...
Classy, refined, promising...

not everybody's piece of cake

I love it!

Nuppu
Nuppu

Ah my darling, Jardins de Bagatelle is hard to describe, joyfull and happy floweryscent with twist. It's just seems so nice and sweet, but it's also quite evil some kinda way, like a beatiful witch in a lost garden, you never know if you are princess or green frog next minute...

It's heady mix of flowers, much of tuberose and it's unique and easy to recognize and can smother innocent passer-bys if using more than sparingly. One of my alltime favourite.

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain 3.89 out of 5 based on 414 ratings and 76 user reviews

Deodorant 3.4oz
JARDINS DE BAGATELLE for WOMEN by Guerlain EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 3.3 OZ
Guerlain Jardins De Bagatelle Eau De Parfum Spray Refill 50ml 1.7oz
Guerlain Jardins De Bagatelle Eau De Parfum Spray Refill 50ml 1.7oz
Eau De Toilette 3oz
Jardins De Bagatelle Perfume by Guerlain, 3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Refill for Women
Eau De Toilette 3oz
Jardins De Bagatelle Perfume by Guerlain - 3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Refill
Jardins De Bagatelle Perfume by Guerlain - 3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Refill
Jardins De Bagatelle Perfume by Guerlain, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Women
Jardins De Bagatelle Perfume by Guerlain - 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Guerlain Jardins De Bagatelle Eau De Toilette Refillable Spray 93ml 3.1oz
Guerlain Jardins De Bagatelle Eau De Toilette Refillable Spray 93ml 3.1oz
JARDINS DE BAGATELLE for WOMEN by Guerlain EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ
JARDINS DE BAGATELLE for WOMEN by Guerlain EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Jardins de Bagatelle fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Jardins de Bagatelle, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.