Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

Jicky Guerlain for women

Jicky Guerlain for women
dislike

I have it: 655 I had it: 133 I want it: 856 My signature: 22

Jicky Guerlain for women Pictures Jicky Guerlain for women Pictures Jicky Guerlain for women Pictures Jicky Guerlain for women Pictures Jicky Guerlain for women Pictures

Jicky was created in 1889. It is a classical fragrance and, despite the age, it is timeless and still very modern. According to the legend, the perfume was named after a girl Aime Guerlain was in love with when he was a student in England. It is more likely, though, that this perfume is named after his uncle Jacques Guerlain’s nick – Jicky. This was one of the first perfumes created with addition of synthetic materials (the first was Fougere Royale Houbigant, 1882). The top notes contain lavender and citrus (bergamot, lemon and mandarin), which perfectly match the cold, metallic orris and rose shaded by vetiver. The cold top and middle notes are an elegant counterbalance to the warm base created of patchouli, vanilla, amber and musk. As Guerlain has always paid a lot of attention to design of flacons, this bottle is also attractive and original: it is designed in a shape of 19th century medicine bottle with champagne cork shaped stopper.

Rosemary Mandarin Orange Bergamot Lemon

Maharadjah

Jicky Fragrance Reviews

LINI 03
LINI 03

Jicky is incomparable.The first Guerlain, heaven on wheels & never to be overtaken by her younger sisters,
no matter how deserving.
In my family she has just been introduced to the 4th generation, & is not too overwhelming for the late teens.LOVE,LOVE,LOVE.

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

Oh Jicky, you are so pretty and yet you have such a silly name. You remind me of JPG Classique because I was born around that era. But you have sleepy, magical Lavendar and an underbite of leathery sandalwood that almost smells mossy. You are as formidable as any classic Guerlain, at least. In fact, you are my favourite classic Guerlain along with the Shalimars. It's too bad that you extinguish a little too quickly for my tastes.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

A perfect, timeless blend of herbal notes with a darker slightly animalic soul on a soothing, cozy powdery vanillin bed. Basically the ultimate cathedral of fougères. It's useless for me to list all the notes you smell as - like for many well-crafted scents that use good ingredients and a good composition - they are all there, you can smell them apart one by one. And still the result is a harmonic, perfect, superb, unique symphony. Neatly composed like a good handmade seven-folds tie, which stands perfectly plain and compact down your neck but you can easily feel all the folds just rubbing it between your fingers.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on decants of EdT and EdP. On my skin and to my nose it's very similar to MdM except that the indolic accord is short-lived in Jicky. I see that it also shares the same DNA as Shalimar EdP but the vanilla note is way toned down in Jicky. The difference between EdT and EdP of Jicky is that the EdT is brighter/lighter with emphasis on top notes while the EdP is thicker with emphasis on base notes. The EdP has slightly better projection and longevity on my skin.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

A kiss on the cheek, when Shalimar is biting your throat.

This is not to say that I dislike Shalimar. I love it, actually. But Jicky, while sharing a basic structure, is cleaner, lighter, brighter.

karrykins
karrykins

Just pulled out my 1994 pre-reformulated EDT after reading these reviews - Jicky is not an oriental as some reviews are intimating - its an obvious fougere -it would need an overdose of vanillin to become an oriental and then it would be Shalimar - thats how Shalimar was composed back in 1925 by Jaques Guerlain introducing synthetic vanillin into a vial of his Uncle's creation - Aime Guerlain's Jicky ( which was named after Jaques) .

So, I don't know why people think this is going to be an oriental and then get upset that it isn't . Fougeres are essentially the basis of make fragrances and Jicky has always been described as unisex but for me, its a male scent not a female one .

Some of the ingredients at the top of this page are wrong - Lemon predominates , bergamot, mandarin and rosewood with heart notes of rose, orris, jasmine, patchouli and vetiver and drying down into leather, amber, civet,tonka incense and benzoin ( all classical "male" bases) so, NO VANILLA AT ALL - its the vetiver people are mistaking for vanilla . Also, no lavender , no sandalwood and no basil .

My 94cc spray has about 20cc left and I don't think I will re-purchase it once it is finally empty .

I bought this in Charles de Gaulle airport on a romantic trip to Paris and I love it - on my husband - but it is "of its time" - which I think is long passed now.

It has its place in my collection as a reference fougere but for me it has been surpassed by much better fragrances like Shalimar which is identical in formulation in the top and heart notes but which also has opoponax, synthetic vanilla,Peru balsam , coumarin ( synthetic tonka bean) in the base notes .

All part of perfumer Aime Guerlain 's iconic "Guerlinade" which is the base for all Guerlain fragrances since 1889 !

So Jicky becomes Shalimar when the base notes are altered - only the leather and the benzoin are common to both and tonka bean is replaced by a more consistent synthetic coumarin .

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

@lanuitblanche - I really enjoyed your review, and totally identify with the same-but-different genetics of Shalmiar and Jicky.
There is quite a lot going on in Jicky: a herbal top note; a strong, almost tar-like leather; and very creamy vanilla. It also has a strange habit of throwing up notes you think have passed: when I am out running the next morning, there will be a resurgence of Provence fields, or when I shower I'll get the cool, creamy vanilla coming back to me.
It is totally unisex - I know several men who love this, and it smells great on them - and unlike some of the other Guerlain perfumes, this doesn't smell it's age. You don't need to be 30 plus, dressed to the nines or a high-flying professional for this one; it doesn't require the presence to carry it off the way that Shalimar or l'Heure Bleue do. Jicky is great for girls, boys, men, women, sporty types, academics, sensual kittens, day, night... It is a mystery to me that it is not more popular.
For me it is a "like" rather than a "love", just because I have moved onto Guerlain perfumes that better suit my personality. I am into the blue-purple triangle of Après L'Ondée, l'Heure Bleue and Insolence. But I would recommend this if you want a free-spirited signature, and especially if you are tired of boring male perfumes.

patxaran
patxaran

Where do I start to praise my new discovery? I was so surprised how Jicky took my heart... who would have thought this old fashioned beauty would be so easy to hang out with? Yes it is impossible not to be reminded of Shalimar when you sniff Jicky. I have a deep awe for Shalimar in most of its incarnations, but it has an aura that tells me to spare it for special occasions. I cannot wear Shalimar with casual dress, it's impossible. Jicky is like Shalimar's tomboy cousin, unisex, outdoorsy yet traditional. Like someone said "Shalimar for men" or "Shalimar" light. A little less spice cake and a little more barbershop. For me, I get this strange association, whenever I wear Jicky something reminds me of Spain and I can't figure it out. Perhaps an old house with dark wooden furniture and immaculate white embroidered table cloths... some dried herbs hung up and some special sweets that you have for the evening snack. Jicky is mindboggling because I cannot figure out what memory it is trying to trigger, but I am sure it is a good one. Someone long lost perhaps, a good soul, a warm person who gives hugs generously.

caljaun
caljaun

why has frag removed the civet

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

I now wish to live in a Guerlain store! My sample of Jicky EDP (modern version) arrived from the Guerlain Boutique (in Las Vegas) the other day and I've been wearing it. FINALLY!!!! An "old school" classic Guerlain that I can wear! This literally brought tears to my eyes (in a very good way). The only Shalimar I can wear is from my bottle of the eau de cologne (it is aged from the mid 1960s, the flat round bottle with the red dot label and ground glass stopper). Some of the newer Guerlains work really well with me (the Elixirs Charnels), but in my heart, I wanted so much to fall in love with an older, classic Guerlain. I was prepared for Jicky to reject me, just as her sisters Shalimar, L'Heure Bleu and Mitsouko did. I tried Jicky and waited. Jicky gave me the most wonderful, tender embrace, like a long lost friend who is also a twin spirit. I love the way the lavender and the citrus play with the vanilla and the spices. It is comforting, playful, and refreshing all at the same time. There is that "vomit-y" note during the first thirty minutes but it is very brief, and after thirty minutes it goes away. There is a note that replaces it which reminds me of what a woman's skin smells like, like a big hug from your mother or your older sister. I never had an older sister, and my mother lives too far away. It smells so human, for lack of a better expression. A few hours into wearing Jicky was when the Guerlainade came out, and it stayed with me very softly (meaning that if you stand right next to me you will smell it) for the rest of the day. Jicky is not just a bottle full of chemicals! She is human! One of these days, I expect to see a playful female genie arise from the perfume bottle, that is how intoxicating and beautiful and feminine and human this perfume is. Stunning. This is a must have. Seriously, I just want to curl up in the corner of the Guerlain store and purr like a kitten, for the rest of my life.......

hanson26
hanson26

Is it just me, or is this essentially Shalimar-lite? Yes, I know that's what many people consider Eau de Shalimar and Parfum Initial to be, but I disagree. I think they are different interpretations of Shalimar, that just happen to be lighter as well. This smells just like Shalimar, but stripped down to the basics, and thus much more casual and easy to wear. Not surprising given the legend that Shalimar was created when Jacques Guerlain added a vat of vanillin to Jicky (so perhaps Shalimar is more like Jicky intense). Don't get me wrong, I ADORE Shalimar, but I think it has a time and place to be worn. Shalimar needs a great outfit and full makeup. Jicky can be worn with much more simplicity, but you'll still get that gorgeous, unmistakeable Guerlain scent. So basically, I really need this. It's like my perfume dream come true. My one and only complaint is that the longevity isn't the greatest, but my sample is of the EDT. I'll try the EDP too. *Sigh* ANOTHER Guerlain to put on my wishlist. This house and I get along very, very well.

amelie
amelie

Rich, intoxicating, concrete, strong, striking and undeniably beautiful, seduces with masculin personality, but smells like a woman. A must have!!

majestic mammy
majestic mammy

Never had the opportunity to smell the original. I like this. It reminds me of a very very delicious baked pie. It is a unique scent. mysterious. It is a must have for any fragrance collector or anyone who has a love of fine parfums.

Henriette

I reviewed Jicky in 2011 talking about it as a sporty scent, the way I have been used to Jicky for years.
For years this was my sporty-casual-summer-holiday treasure scent.
Yesterday I took out my vintage EDT huge bottle (and I mean HUGE: 400 ml) and sprayed a little bit of Jicky on me.
We are in the middle of winter, cold, snow expecting days.
What does Jicky has to do with all of this?
The sweetness of the vanilla to keep you warm;
the coziness of the leather to wrap you;
the herbs to remind you summer will come again.
I have experienced the warm side of Jicky, years and years after I first fell in love with this Scented Monument.
I have experienced the elegant side of Jicky and I'm in love again.
That's the amazing side of Guerlain's of old: you always get a new scent every day.
That's achieved only if the perfume you are wearing is a masterpiece.
And that's what Jicky is.

I tested the EdT a few days ago in a rare department that stil carries older Guerlain and I'm a bit disappointed. I remember having tried Jicky many years and it was not so appealing to me, but I remember it very strong, balmy, powdery, somehow musty old library and definetely unisex or masculin.
Instead the new EdT smells so bland and flat. It's pleasant but it smells basically as a fine lavender cologne. Where is the tonka? Vanilla? Powder? Musty?
It was very faint and delicate on my skin. I could only smell lavender and it lasted 3 hours at most.
I was not at top. Maybe my sense of smell went crap. I don't know.
I will try again and see.

williamvargas
williamvargas

each time I have worn this fragrance I have gotten complimented. I bought a small 2.5 mil sample from the perfumed court after reading that some men wear this fragrance including bad ass sean connery. it to me is just a great fragrance period. I know I get caught up in the masc / fem argument. I find this is just an enjoyable fragrance for anyone to wear. I don't think I will buy a bottle but I still will regard this as a exceptional scent.
I would also say the same about mitsouko I have used that as well and gotten complimented. I think most would not know whether it was classified as for women or men. where I come from guerlain is not widely known. sometimes that is a good thing.

chittylafemme
chittylafemme

I have a little small bit on my knuckle. This must be what love smells like. The is a woody, sweet, mysterious, romantic perfume. The citrus opening is a bit off-putting and strong, but it almost immediately dries down to this most lovely lavender and tonka bean scent. And it hits home for me, hard. Perfection on my skin. Great for a night out in the spring.

jht4060
jht4060

Guerlain Jicky EDT is interesting, though not for me quite in the great classic category that I reserve for things like Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue. Jicky is famous for being one of the first perfumes to embrace the new synthetics and House Guerlain likes to position it as a turning point in perfumery - they make it sound as if all women's perfumes before Jicky were simple florals and that Jicky was a revolution. I don't know enough about that period to critique, but it seems more likely that Jicky was part of a complex trend of the times, driven by the new synthetics and changing fashion.

Jicky is sort of an Oriental, with many of the classic notes of vanilla, tonka, vetiver, and labdanum in the base notes. But it is also sort of a men's cologne - the top is very strong with lavender and bergamot and at that point it smells very much like half the classic men's colognes in the world, which is a bit strange for a scent marketed to women. There is a bit of that fecal/vomit note that makes Mouchoir de Monsieur so hated/loved (I wish I knew what the molecule is - it might be part of castoreum). The middle has some rose and orris floral notes (though "cold metallic" doesn't spring to my mind at all), finally giving way to a nice Oriental base that is a bit toward the vetiver-woody side of that spectrum. I get zero civet, but some review elsewhere said that the EDP has lots of civet. I suspect what they and others are calling civet is what I am calling fecal - it certainly is animalic but nothing like the synthetic civet oil I own. Scents are so hard to pin down!

The result to my nose is that Jicky seems awkwardly torn between a men's lavender cologne and a women's Oriental. On the other hand, it does smell really good and perhaps my perception has more to do with fashion and arbitrary gender assignments than with the scent itself.

Regardless of the details, for any scent aficionado Jicky is a must have - one of the oldest perfumes still available. Wearing it, it is easy to imagine yourself in a horse and buggy going to your bridge club or to go shopping at Hermès.

rockegg
rockegg

The top notes have that unmistakable feel of long ago glamour. It settles into a good natured spicy blend that feels right on a cold evening. It reminds me of Estée Lauder Youth Dew, only in a gentler way. Youth Dew can go nuclear in a hurry. Jicky is a lady. She doesn't wear out her welcome. By morning she's gone.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

EDT review.

Lemon Pledge and lavender oil, with a faint underlying note of...parmesan cheese. Faint sillage for all of 30 minutes.

Androgynous and not unpleasant, but historical significance aside, I've yet to understand Jicky's modern-day appeal.

osipowa
osipowa

I've noticed a freaky thing about EDT. I was sitting in my room and suddenly smell something very pleasant, elegant and intriguing. I got up and searched for it, and it was the bottle of Jicky, I forgot to put the cap on it. I've never had this with any other perfume. It's like the fragrance was whispering in my ear with something mysterious. I'd love to try the perfume:)

alpestremonte
alpestremonte

I think I have just found my signature scent.

I have to admit I was waiting for the perfect occasion to give Jicky a try. So, Sunday at home seemed just fine, no risk of knocking dead people around by any animalic sharpness previously reported. But then, apart from some hisses at the opening, there wasn't any major civet appearance. The fact is, I ended up knock dead by Jicky's perfection and simplicity.

I can love and be forever amazed by the way Shalimar makes my skin talk to me; by the poetry of L'Heure Bleue; the emotional rollercoaster of Vol de Nuit; the mildness of Nº22; the comfort of Pour un Homme; the strength and virility of Yatagan; even by the evil in Nº19.
But from now on, all the other fragrances will be just another fragrances, no matter how I love or admire them.

As long as all of the other classics try to seduce and become a part of me, that's not what happens with Jicky. With her, I feel like there's nothing to be revealed or discovered, it just is, as it always was, even if I didn't realize it before.

OK, now, time to be realistic! Go and stock some more vintage extract for years to come and make sure it goes on rotation, since the last thing I wish is to become nose fatigued by my newfound love!

Scentmad
Scentmad

Fabulous. Understated, classy and sexy in a very demure way. It's not a shouter or a screamer... It purrs and draws you in. I am sold. Gorgeous.

christianne1
christianne1

Well, it is official...I am a civet-head. Although I had read a lot about Jicky, I wasn't even really sure what it smelled like but went ahead and ordered a decant just out of curiosity. I was so pleasantly surprised that it is similar to Shalimar...and reminds me a bit of Shalimar's civet great grandchildren that I so dearly love...Musc Ravageur, Labdanum 18, even Muscs Koublai Khan, etc. While they all smell very different from each other, the animalic musky connection is unmistakable. I finally realize that it must be the civet that I love in each one of these and why they remind me of each other while smelling incredibly different. I have always known I was the crazy cat lady....but never realized just how much until now.

The civet (or castoreum, labdanum, etc., the hard core animalic musks) is what most people either love or hate about these types of fragrances. For me it is love. Jicky is a lavender infused, less vanilla-y sweet Shalimar light to me. A little more male friendly than Shalimar but definitely unisex. Jicky is like Shalimar's older, more tomboy sister.

Jicky is pretty much love for me.

Maylone

This fragrance was definitely ahead of its time when it was created. Or, maybe, it's just timeless. It is similar to Shalimar, I always smell some nutmeg in this perfume. Does anyone else? I usually prefer this over Shalimar, but love them both. It's worth sniffing if you get the chance. Old, yes, but perfectly acceptable for any time period.

bakadesh1
bakadesh1

Unisex!

amandaj1024
amandaj1024

My first sniff form the bottle surprised me- I was expecting something very heavy and old-fashioned , but instead I got a fresh, clean, almost soapy smell from the citrus. When I applied it, it did smell "vintage" (though I did not try the vintage formulation), but not in a musty old-lady kind of way, more like the smell of those turn-of-the-century mansions that have been preserved as museums (lemon Pledge and old wood?). This morphed into something very masculine- a cold, lavender, antiseptic. Another reviewer mentioned barber shop- and while I do not know what the inside of one smells like, I can picture an older man wearing this scent (at least at this stage). While I sort of like this, I can't imagine anyone thinking it smells good on me. I think this would make a great scented candle though. I also might try to add a few drops to a hot bath before bedtime...it seems like it would bring on sweet dreams.

valenceis
valenceis

When I was younger, I had a really funny experience with Guerlain. I was 19 doing an internship in Atlanta. This was before Sephora was as ubiquitous as it is now and it was a treat to be in a city that had one and I would go a couple times a week. Once I was cutting through the Neiman Marcus to get into the mall and I passed the Guerlain counter. The bottles were so pretty and I loved the names of everything so I sprayed one on myself out of curiosity and then ran in horror with my arm sticking straight out to Aveda and a nice SA helped me scrub it off with some mint soap. To this day I wish I could remember which one disturbed me so much as I wonder if I have it in my wardrobe now!

I am experiencing Jicky for the first time today. My first impression is good! I got the EDP and I must say, it's not vintage, but I don't see what the big deal is. Meaning, I don't find this to be extreme or on the verge of committing some major offense. It's really pleasant. I would actually LOVE to smell this on anyone, anywhere.

Many of the fragrances I really love are considered by many here to be "unisex". I'm not offended by the idea of men wearing some of my favorite perfumes, in fact I encourage it. But I don't consider Jicky's character to be unisex necessarily, like, I wouldn't immediately think this smells like a men's fragrance. It is sort of like Shalimar's tomboy twin sister. Still feminine, but a little bit dirtier and more adventurous. This smells fresh and delicious to me. But as another reviewer said, I enjoy the smell of barns and open air.

Also, to me this is not a fougere but to everyone else it probably is. I feel too much of the vanilla to sway me in that direction.

I have sprayed myself down with this happily many times already today. I really like Jicky! I'd say, if you like Shalimar, this offers another dimension worth sampling at least. You may love it.

stormyla
stormyla

I've tried Jicky in several older formulations. I'm glad that I did because experiencing Jicky has helped me understand the basis and evolution of a number of Guerlain and other fragrances.

In general,I don't care for lemon based spicy masculine cologne type of scents and Jicky is definitely one of them. Lavender is also a note that I find most perfumers don't use well. That being said, it is unlikely that I would care for Jicky, no matter how well made. This fragrance is absolutely dated to it's period, although recently there seems to have been a resurgence in the popularity of this type of scent most of which are being marketed as unisex.

As a child my great uncle had a barber shop and Jicky is exactly the type of fragrance that he sprinkled everywhere. Jicky brought back some fond memories there. I'd say that if you are a woman and like unisex scents, then Jicky might be for you. If you're looking for something girly,seductive or feminine,look elsewhere.

Moonlocks
Moonlocks

I'm so sorry I cannot afford this legendary scent (in EDT) more admiration ... what I get for the first 20 minutes is the aroma of a very old person's apartment. And perhaps that old person has a cat that does not always use the box, there's a bowl of old mothballs under the bed, windows are kept closed to save on heat, and showers are less frequent because it's harder to bend. You love grandma so you take her out to lunch instead of staying in. But the scent lingers near her.

An hour later it's nice enough, but the occasional note of smelly sweat still comes through. I can't handle this one.

bluebellinthewoods
bluebellinthewoods

Lavender heaven a touch of history....oooo if perfume could speak. If you don't love this with your senses love this with your mind.

judyk
judyk

How to tell the siblings apart -
Shalimar is sweet vanilla and leather.
Habit Rouge is lemon and jasmine.
Jicky is leather and eau de cologne (lavender/bergamot).
All are beautiful in their own way.

Roge'
Roge'

The fascination with Jicky reads like a great fiction novel. This frag is mythical and deity-like in most circles. It's rarely seen but when spotted, it's revered like Big Foot or the Loch Ness Monster. Well, I have news for you: I have indeed come face to face with this mythical creature created by the house of Guerlain and all i have to say is........I think the community has taken a turn down overrated alley. Now don't get me wrong; I can imagine this fragrance as a top five perfume in its day. I would argue that it's not even cracking top five in today's Guerlain world. It's not fair for me to say disparaging things without an explanation. My complaint is kind of obvious, too outdated for my taste. I think this is perfectly unisex but not exactly rated "E" for everyone. I think women can wear this anytime and anywhere. As for the fellas, this scent is more situational due to the mesh of elegant notes. This scent starts out extremely strong. You will be surprised to know that this develops into a skin scent rather quickly(which is not particularly a bad thing). The total duration was above 8hrs but i have to admit although very wearable during the drydown, it was forgettable. I'm pretty sure the balloon poppers will be in full force but i just had to chime in on the one they call "The Jicky".

Kiku
Kiku

I heard the following story and always wondered if it's true: Coty created the first oriental, "Emeraude" by adding a vial of vanilla to Guerlain's "Jicky". After finally experiencing "Jicky"(not easy to find in my area) I believe it. "Jicky" smells like "Emeraude" lite. The opening is a sparkling melange of citrus(oranges and lemons) followed by a heart of lavender and jasmine that is as thick as molasses but somehow is not cloyingly sweet. The drydown is a bit herby. My "Jicky" is not vintage, it is the current formulation and the drydown also contains a small amount of vanilla. "Jicky" is simple, not as complex as most Guerlain's. It is a nice scent, very elegant, very French. But it is not compelling. I'm glad I have it but I don't feel it's essential to a perfume wardrobe. It is a nice extra.

The rest of the story: Guerlain, not knowing that "Emeraude" was purloined from "Jicky", paid Coty under the table to create an oriental for the House of Guerlain. Coty added another vial of vanilla to "Jicky" and "Shalimar" was born. Considering the blast of vanilla that is "Shalimar", I believe it.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

A legendary fragrance!

It starts out decidedly nasty, with the infamous animalic Guerlain cat pee/vomit/fecal note. I am not certain why Aimee Guerlain designed this into it. The French have entirely different aesthetic ideas about scents than do Anglo-Saxons. But - be patient! - it soon develops into a lavender/vanilla/powder accord, which is sometimes called "barbershoppy."

I'm not a big fan of it. There are other Guerlains I like better (Heritage, Bois d"Armenie), and I do not especially like lavender scents, which I consider dandyish. It ain't me. But I tried this on as a sort of historical experience. It's like saying you're interested in classical music but have never heard Beethoven's Ninth... you have to hear it. Likewise, if you say you're interested in fragrances you have to try Jicky.

----

Second wearing: It's growing on me. I like lavender scents more now than I did a year ago...

meama
meama

89)Jicky is a fragrance that manages the feat to combine the freshness and lightness to the tenacity, a scent strongly animalized and also very spicy, fresh and sweet. The departure is lively and dynamic, very green, with bergamot, with spicy lavender, rosemary, giving it the scent of "cut hay on seaside". The Ambergris is very iodized, leaving the impression of L'île de Ré in bloom, married with musk and civet. Jicky varies all the day. It sparkles differently depending on the location of the body where it is vaporized: wrist, wooded and green notes dominate, on the hand, it is more oriental and animal, on the chest it is more ambiguous and flourishes with all its facets ... At times even Jicky may suggest a slight smell of cat pee fragrant, very strangely fascinating in the middle of the rainbow scent ... A judgment, as paradoxical as it may seem, is far from being derogatory. Jicky was born in a 1900 French context, when the art of perfumery agrees to bring out the notes by contrast, using the unpleasant aspects of faecal to sublimate floral notes. This is far from the vision of the American hygienist clean scent, the monolithic scent built on one or two easily recognizable notes. In aesthetic this contrast is called the Sublime.

Magenta106
Magenta106

Perfect!!! The only way that I can describe this is perfect. The lavender is marvelous as it provides a little tweed and refinement. I think of lavender as a scent for a "handsome" woman. But here it is fresh, clean, and youthful. The citrus gives it some pep. The bergamont and vanilla give it a creamy, but not too sweet or overwhelming background while the mild spices blend it together. About the vanilla, I really don't like vanilla much. It always seems cheap. It gives me a headache. It's listed as the second most intense scent currently in the user descriptions at the top. This is not Dior's Addict. The vanilla is very classy and put in it's place. Don't let the description turn you off.

I am very sensitive to chemical smelling perfumes. I don't get the Pledge, indol, or poop scent that have been mentioned. Nothing sour here.

I tried the EDT and it lasted all day, granted there was little sillage after a few hours, but I couldn't stop sniffing my wrists. I also tried the perfume, which was incredible. I only got a tiny sampler, so had to wear it sparingly. It was noticeable when I hugged someone, but I don't think it had a whole lot of sillage at the tiny amount that I was wearing. This week, I ordered the EDP expecting the best of both worlds.

I am not a nostalgia hunter, trying on costumes from another era. I am not the beachy trust fund, wear sex on your sleeve Bridget Bardot type. If anything I'm a classic feminine looking, back to the land living, sort of nerdy young woman who just wants to have a few drinks and dance. Probably not your typical Guerlian demographic, but I'm convinced that this was meant for me.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

Citrus blast then florals. To my nose, it smells similar to Chamade. In the dry down, it is beautiful woods and a hint of florals with citrus. I like this balance. Feminine, floral and elegance. I could see myself wearing this. Will be ticking Want for this one. About $75 or $90 for 50ml at The Bay downtown Vancouver.

One spray,
Sillage: less than a foot
Longevity: more than 4 hours

SeverinoDuJour
SeverinoDuJour

Tried the EDT sample from Perfumed Court, only because I was intrigued by the reviews. First blast was for me, lavender, vanilla and that hidden "vomit" or "cat doo doo" scent (which does dissipate quickly, which is a good thing!). Settles in nicely, sort of a musky, sweet barber shop talk that the italian barber used to use to brush the hairs off the back of my neck.

I can see the resemblance to Shalimar, as that was my mother's signature scent, which I always liked. This reminded me of a masculine Shalimar, but even in the drydown, which is nice, there is something animalistic hanging in there with what to me is mostly lavendar, dash of citrus, and skank.

I can see men wearing this, and women as well. It's not for me though, a tad on the old-fashioned side IMHO.

I'll stick with L'Instant por Homme (my absolute favorite) and Habit Rouge (which I've worn on and off since high school!)

flying_colours
flying_colours

I'm afraid I have to demote Jicky from my 'Perfumes I want' list to my imaginary 'Not ready for this yet' list. However this was only my second time trying this perfume so I really can't pretend to be too familiar with it yet. The initial blast smelled overwhelmingly of vomit. I see other reviewers have noted this, so it's not just me! I know better than to judge a perfume, especially a classic Guerlain, at first sniff, and sure enough it soon changes entirely. I get a lot of leather - the first time I smelled it I thought it smelled like a briefcase. There's the rumour that Jacques Guerlain created Shalimar when he added an extra big dose of vanillin to Jicky and that is exactly the impression I get. Jicky reminds me of Shalimar but without all of that gorgeous vanilla which is what I love so much about Shalimar. I'm going to keep coming back to Jicky and hope I learn to appreciate it more as my tastes evolve, but for now it's not for me.

mmiched
mmiched

So, I just acquired 2 Bottles of this at an unbelievable price. I have always wanted to try it. So here it goes, Lavender blast first, then it settles to a spicy lemony scent. It does remind me of a Margarita with some subtle hint of baby powder. I still don't know if I like it or not but I keep smelling my wrist to see if I can smell any other scents in there. I think maybe I will put these on ebay and see what happens and stick with my Champs Elysees. :)

marioslg3

I bought a 50ml EDP of this, last week and used it only once as i have mouchoir de monsieur and is more or less the same so if someone is interested, we can swap with something else. just send me a message.

ladykarl
ladykarl

Jicky is such a big deal in perfume and perfume history that i was actually sort of afraid of it for a while. Sharing my experience with such a thing is equally intimidating but alas...
When i first smelled Jicky (the name of this always makes me smile)
before i even put it on the EDP current formulation was the smell of vomit. ( I was somewhat warned and ready)
I was also scared but i continued on. It was less acrid on my skin but it turned into more like a dirty diaper and baby powder scent. I also physically felt like the equilibrium of my body literally shifted after i put this on.
I felt moderately dizzy and then a little loopy. I was kinda having fun at this point. I was pretty sure it was starting to smell less poo ish(skatole?) and i imagined if i were wearing a chanel dress in a beautiful home at a lovely party and walked by with this on if the people around me would understand? If they would be impressed, and enjoy this very peculiar fragrance? I mean we were all babies once. We have all worn diapers. Most of us have worn baby powder at least once in our lives to know the smell. Is it that familiarity that makes this so compelling!? Anyway im sure that at a distance no one would recognize the smell as 'baby powder and dirty diaper', 'barnyard' or 'morning breath' but i was wearing it and it was still in my head and i was dizzy.
Once the loopy ness took me over im pretty sure i thought it smelled more like i wanted it to (not scary)
I hardly could smell any lavender. The main thing that came through for me was orris root or an amber note and citrus and skins/ leather that definitely has an earthy appeal and very animalic. There were definitely several points in this wearing that i thought that i might not make it through to the ending, but im glad i did. And i get it. How could it not be impressive to wear this!?
i dont know when exactly that would be. But id be willing to 'go in' again.
And again.

People might detest this: But i find le labo's ladbanum 18 to smell very similar to the drydown of jicky
Its amazing to wear this and realize all the inspirations it gave way to so many modern, classic or other perfumes...

marioslg3

I ordered this yesterday from a retailer on line and waiting...so much said about it, so legendary perfume....continuous producton since 1889!!!!!...i live mouchoir de monsieur and wanted also the origine of it. will revert in some weeks!
UPDATE:
The perfume was received today and with the initial spray, mouchoir de monsieur came to my mind. the perfumes are twin borthers and hardly someone can find differences. i see tha mouchouir is a little sweeter and smother but you dont need Jicky if you have mouchoir or vice versa.
sometimes when i forget that i wear jicky, i think that i forget mouchoir...absolutely very similar maybe identical. I bought the EDP Jicky not because i was not happy with mouchoir but because i wanted the same perfume with more longevity and sillage..but is the same, maybe worst. i dont understand why there is no longevity in this perfumes...no one notices the perfumes after an hour especailly in the winter....

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Jicky is the perfume of the point in history at which all things changed.

It is the step forward in scent that could never be untaken – a thrusting out in front of the speeding clamour of fate.

From here on in nothing could ever be the same again.

From here on in perfume had the option of a beginning, a middle and an end.

Jicky’s beginning is now as familiar to us as the subtle hiss of the atomiser’s spray, both sharply citrus and soothingly aromatic in almost equal measure.

In its middle it becomes more animal than botanical it gains horses’ leather and something a lot like civet that goes unlisted. But these are not wild animals and the dark resins and perfumes of grooming and petting are in place too. And if some of those polishes have a slight paraffin base? Then so much the better.

The dry down has become leitmotif too, it is vanilla and earth and wood and a certain sweetness that seems made for fragrance.

To wear Jicky is to wear a piece of history.

The first modern perfume is no longer a modern perfume.

Long may this part of the past persist in our present.

*************

On the question of sex?

Jicky is the olfactory Orlando.

This review is of the parfum extrait of the current formulation. This is the concise version of the review - to save space here - a longer one is on my blog.

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

I bought both the extract and EDP of Jicky for layering in the future when I want a more intensive scent. My experience with the EDP a few days ago was amazing. The opening was quite strong with a blast of citrus and floral. This scent mellowed a bit after about 15 minutes and stayed that way in the first one and a half hour with just a little balmy scent added to it. The scent was very attractive and I couldn't help but kept on sniffing myself every few minutes. All of a sudden, it was like someone shut the window and stopped the beautiful scent from coming in, there was nothing to smell for about two minutes. Then WAMP! There was the most sexy civet and a little bit of skanky but attractive scent together with the soft citrus floral balmy notes joint hands to make this EDP become the most seductive fragrance. I really wished that greatness of this scent could last forever; however, it did dry down to something softer and balmy after about thirty minutes and faded to a skin scent in about four hours on my skin.

I have Jicky parfum on me since 11am this morning. Twelve hours have passed and I'm still enjoying the soft dry down of the fragrance lingering on my skin. Jicky parfum opened with strong lavender and very light hint of citrus. Then it became powdery, aromatic, I preferred to use the term aromatic instead of flowery as the scent was not only from flowers but also vanilla and spices, and a bit soapy in a good way. The scent stayed gentle on my body for at least two hours before it gained any strength. It was strange that instead of getting weaker and weaker, the beautiful lavender and vanilla scent actually became stronger and I started to smell it with every little movement of my hands or when there was a breeze of air. However, unlike the EDP, there was no civet nor any slight animalic note within the most beautiful rich aromatic and balmy scent.

As a whole, comparing the extract and EDP of Jicky, I would describe the extract as the proper graceful lady like sister of the Jicky family while the EDP as the flamboyant playful sexy seductive sister. It would be so perfect if the Jickies were able to have a lady like daughter that could be proper and seductive at the same time, and best of all if possible, acted like an animal when the time called for it. So be it lady or animal or both will be your choice and I certainly hope that my experiences with them with my simple review will at least give you some idea on how to choose your Jickies.

aveilhe
aveilhe

This is the oldest of the "vintage" fragrances I have tested (of course the formulation has changed over the years, but I like to think there is still a remnant of the original here -- or at least a sense of what it once smelled like). I'm quite interested in the 19th century, so I was excited to get a little window into the past.

First impression: Wow! I was not prepared for that initial blast of lavender in Jicky -- a CRAZY pungent and CRAZY natural-smelling lavender (I have some lavender absolute here for comparison, and this smells like the real thing). The weird thing about lavender is that it can sometimes come across as smelling a bit like vomit in heavy concentration (I know, ew). The last reviewer described it as halitosis -- that seems spot-on, as well. Unfortunately, the lavender, in combination with the other top top notes, does have a subtle vomit-like aroma. Hmmmm...having some experience with vintages, I know to patiently wait out any unpleasantness, because it can often change in a flash.

And change it does!

Within a few minutes, the lavender settles, the unpleasantness fades, and a very sexy, soft accord of powdery orris and sweet tonka and vanilla emerge. For my part, I am extremely glad that Guerlain removed the civet/civetone note that Jicky once had. To my nose, there is nothing more stomach-turning than the combination of civet, orris, and tonka (smells like dirty diapers and baby powder to me). That would have sent me over the edge...that, along with the vomit note.

This version however, has none of the dreaded dirty diaper. The floral notes are powdery and understated. But, the stars of the show are the base notes. In the dry-down, patchouli, amber, cedar, benzoin, vanilla, and leather make their appearance -- basically a laundry list of my favorite notes! The fascinating thing about Jicky is that there is always a slightly fresh, earthy, herbal nuance that runs throughout the progression. The ghost of those zingy top notes wafts in and out, creating a fascinating contrast of light and dark, tart and sweet.

This may very well be one of the sexiest perfumes I have ever had the pleasure to wear -- which is amazing considering my initial reaction was rather negative. It is rich without being heavy, nostalgic without being old-fashioned. It has a soft smokiness that brings to mind opium dens, incense, and ladies of ill repute. It is evokes dandies, dance halls, and naughty poetry.

This is a must-try for every perfumista!

antfarm
antfarm

Parfum: It smells like forests and saliva. It reminds me of camping, or taking a dog for a walk in the woods and having it lick your ankles. I like. Interesting.

EDT: Very pleasant, green, herbal, and tangy-fresh. Smells like a forest ground up into a margarita. Too bad it has no staying power.

EDP: My favorite formulation. Smells like men's hygiene products with something breathy and animalic in the background. The animalic phase is kind of stinky, like halitosis, but when it fades Jicky EDP is amazing and has a lived-in, sexual vibe. It's the same kind of sexiness as wearing your lover's t-shirt to sleep in. This is how you would smell after necking with a sophisticated gentlemen. Jicky EDP makes you feel and smell owned and loved in the most intimate way a perfume can.

mylancome

After tried the EDT, Jicky smelled better than Shalimar, the spicy herbs smell. It's a waste it only last less than an hour. When you fall in love with Jicky after you tried the EDT, just get the pure parfum. The EDT is not worth the money.

Lanlisa
Lanlisa

Jicky smells just like Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker in my opinion. And both remind me of what my moms hair always smelled like to me as a kid when she got her hair bleached and all done up at the salon. I don't think they are pretty scents. More peppery, clean and antiseptic. Not floral or fruity nor vanilla. Clean but not in a green way, more like a soft listerine way(gold liquid not the minty version). medicinal. Jicky only lasts but a few minutes on me and Lovely lasts all day. Wish I loved them but not sultry enough for me to wear very often. Fine for work but don't expect others to notice much. Just ok. You might like if you want just a hint of scent but test first. Lovely is the better price of course. Shalimar Initial is my favorite Guerlain. Jicky smells similar to Nahema (although Nahema has slight rose scent, faint), and also like Mitsouko, lhuere Bleue and Vol de Nuit all by guerlain.

I was very late to the Guerlain JICKY party, having acquired my bottle only a couple of years ago. I had never sniffed it anywhere, so upon delivery of the package, which I had ordered from an online emporium, I experienced my very first spritz of this legendary nineteenth-century creation--or so I thought. Naturally I was shocked at the disparity between the qualities of this reformulation, whose naughtiness is exhausted by the letters BHT appearing prominently as the fourth named ingredient on the box, and the reputation which preceded "JICKY".

Spice cake is the take-away, basically, to my nose. Okay, so it's spice cake being served in a barber shop, but it's spice cake all the same! I have nothing against spice cake, mind you, but clearly there is no civet cat or reasonable facsimile within a thousand miles of this reformulation.

To be more precise: Batch OT01 of the eau de toilette, which comes in the 3.1 ounce refill bottle--perfect for inserting into my now empty gold MITSOUKO case--is a kind of light refreshment, quite suitable as a rejuvenating cologne. To me this composition is unisex leaning slightly toward the masculine side. All that I need to go along with it are a hot towel and some cream cheese icing.

neferteria
neferteria

I tested the venerable Jicky, in part out of respect for the house of Guerlain, but also because I was curious about it. One of my favorite places to be is in my horse barn, and the somewhat "gamey" scents that I find there are not at all unpleasant to me. As I suspected, Jicky is a scent I could easily wear there or to a hunt breakfast and not be at all out of place. In fact, the scent would be quite compatible! Yes, the civet came through along with the other aromas that are quite compatible with it. On me, the sweeter aspects of Jicky come with the end of the drydown. I will not be buying it, however, as others in my intimate circle don't particularly care for the scents that I find quite comforting! But if I were to be going on a vacation with little prospect of being in a barn, I would likely take the rest of my decant with me. I always miss the wonderful scent of a horse barn.

cecfor
cecfor

EdT.
This sure is a special one. First time I tried it I thought it smelled like chlorine water from a swimming-pool. Not fond of that. Second time is today. I still think it smells like chlorine water. I asked my husband: Hmm, male, a little as I remember tabac on my father, he said. Asked daughter and it came out obviously: It smells like poo. Oh, yes I thought so too said husband, I just didn't want to say it. And yes, today I get the poo-smell also and its the first time I smell that in a perfume. It's not pleasant. I'll keep it among dislikes.

Fascinating though, how a perfume can smell like this. I don't know why. There are no indolic flowers listed among the notes.

Edit:
Wait a minute, there is jasmine, but not high listed. Maybe that is the source of poo-smell?

mylancome

Anmo: I tried the EDT, smells very similar to Shalimar.

katrin1128
katrin1128

I just bought a bottle of Jicky EDT from Neiman and I absolutely love it. I've heard all the stories about the reformulation not being as good as the original but I won't even try to find out what I'm missing. The new bottle I just got is wonderful enough! I sniff it all day at work and it makes my day fabulous! It lasts all day and has a soft sillage.
I'm wearing it today and I am in a cloud of bliss!

Anmo
Anmo

I haven't tried it on myself but i sometimes smell it on other person and it's a wonderful elegant invigorating fragrance.
Expensive and intelligent smelling, calm and sophisticated this fragrance revolves around the magic lavender.
Any similar recommendations would be dearly appreciated.

PatriciaAnn
PatriciaAnn

I am thrilled to find this site and the reviews of Jickey. I spent weeks trying to determine a perfume to use as an important scent in my novel Field of Destiny, as I needed a scent that could transcend lifetimes. My husband bought me the perfume ($$$) as a gift and I use it primarily in the winter, as it feels a bit heavy for me. But it is seductive and almost addictive. I am now writing the sequel to my novel and will use Jickey again. But I need HELP from all of you: what plants would I plan in a zen style garden to remind someone (subtly) of the scent of Jickey. Lavendar alone, I don't believe would do it. Any suggestions?

CDGfan
CDGfan

Jicky has been reformulated many times, much of the depth in it has been taken out. I get NO civet, I get a soapy citrusy lavender rose, thats it. Jicky without civet, is not Jicky period. Longevity is very poor, I got 2 hours only.

ginawadsworth

Update, after using Jicky as my night time perfume as my husband likes it....... our bedroom is beginning to take on this perfume so I can confirm that although not a loud perfume, it certainly has tenacity. Nothing loud or jarring, but a soft feminine feel to it. I still use samsara to help me sleep and Dune during the day, but Jicky is certainly moving up my list

ButterflySue
ButterflySue

On me this perfume smells subtle and softly of lavender,less citrusy.Not overpowering,it is choice to last all day when I am smartly dressed to create an impression.It gets the thumbs up from my husband who hates perfume normally.The bottle has lasted me a long time as I don't need to use a lot

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

Even being a lady who's into the ladies, I never really got the appeal of Bardot (beyond her being extremely good-looking). Her acting was unsubtle, and she always looked mean and stupid. Still she wore simple sweaters and jeans exceptionally well, and her singing on Gainsbourg tracks presages "feat." guests on hip hop tracks ("Initials B.B.!"). Reading Beatles biographies as a kid, I first heard of Jicky as having been Bardot's signature, and that therefore all kinds of famous women wore it to emulate her. Often times those she inspired were far more interesting than the original, and therein lies my problem with Jicky. I love Jicky when its classicism is undercut with a casual look but prefer the way the Jicky idea was reworked into Shalimar. Jicky was always described simply as "sexy" when name-checked in biographies and novels again and again, just as Bardot is the cliche-symbol of "sexy."

The vintage edt, my favorite concentration so far, shows off Jicky's light and careless, almost glib elegance. It smells like gin and tonics at a boring prim English countryside party. Taking to the dance floor and having a drunken good time while others sit by uncomfortable. Bardot dancing in And God Created Woman fits.

The vintage pdt smells more like a royal cat palace, which could just as well be a euphemism for bordello and might be here, but more so I do smell catbox and crème brûlée alongside very clean old world apothecary.

The current edt is refreshing and smells very put-together masculine but way too fleeting (basically edc).

The current pdt smells like gummy candy and fake civet, and I get hardly any lavender. I have yet to try any parfum concentration. No concentration I have tried lasts well at all, but considering this is a perfume meant for people who take pride in spending money, that's probably a fine status symbol, longevity and projection being a burden in polite society. In all of the concentrations I've tried, the lavender is not so prominent as the rosemary, citrus, and a vague herbaceous-gourmand abstraction to my nose. For a clearer, simpler (and much cheaper) lavender, I prefer Pour Un Homme, though it is not really that comparable to Jicky (much less subtle).

Jicky straddles the divide between shameless and prim, an unimpeachable classic, but do I actually want to wear it often? Do I want to wear a museum piece hat that was scandalous in its day and whose style was revived in the 40s, 60s, then again in the 80s? No, I'll take something a little less heavy with story and intentional degradation of quality. Maybe the parfum concentration will be a revelation. In the meantime, I enjoy having Jicky in my collection and consider it one of the most casually wearable, unisex Guerlains around, although an aversion to juicy citrus and obvious sexiness makes me rarely feel like wearing it.

ginawadsworth

update - have been wearing Jicky every night now since the purchase. It certainly grows on you and I dont mind the initial lavender now. There is a definate sense of history as I can see how Samsara is related to this. It is lovely to see how the perfumes relate over history and that you can have 2 distinct scents sharing the same notes.

Su_Sea
Su_Sea

I first became intrigued about Jicky at school when I read (and translated) an article about the House of Guerlain and this famous perfume. I was mad about all things French in those days so, when an aunt gave me some money for my 18th birthday, I bought a bottle. I am now over 60 and Jicky and I have been inseparable all that time (except for a dalliance with Nahema after my husband brought some home from an overseas trip). Jicky made me feel special from the first moment I put it on and it still does. Jicky has sustained me through exams, job interviews and first dates. It is a perfume you can wear day or night, to work or to the opera. It is totally distinctive, yet really quite subtle. I have to admit that, if you want a perfume that everyone else will rave about, do try Nahema. But for a perfume that dedicates itself to only caring about you, buy Jicky.

ginawadsworth

Went perfume sniffing at an elegant shop in auckland looking to refresh my memory for old favourites and new potentials. came across the guerlain counter and was seduced by a range of classics and new perfumes. got some samples and went to find my husband. I tend to buy for myself and our tastes dont always agree. Dragged him back, and he chose Jicky. By now I was unable to smell anything, but purchased. Wearing it as I write. Intially get strong lavender (not a favourite) but it is morphing into cirtus, leather and vanilla with the spices showing up mixed with sandalwood and smoke. Definately interesting olfactory journey and and enjoyable one. Yes, I think I like it. Like Samasara, you have to sit back and take this in before deciding on its merits. Found my pefume house at last.

I have suddenly realised this is what I smelt during my sleep last night, beautiful.

srimati

Update - ok, it came in the mail, I got 1.7 oz for 60.00, not in the classic bottle, it was a tester and I thought it was a little steep. I got the first rush of lavender and citrus and then the Guerlain signature spice set in behind it. I wasn't disappointed but I wasn't overly impressed either. I don't imagine sex smelling like this one.

srimati

Well, I've been wanting to try this one for awhile now and join in on the nostalgia. So I bought it today and waiting for it to arrive. Then I read the reviews here and really liked a few of them, so how could I not get the fragrance after reading the reviews?!

NoseySpice
NoseySpice

All I needed to hear was that it was a fave of Bridget Bardo and I HAD to try it.

I wore it years ago and didn't fully appreciate it. I sprayed it on and imagined myself in Canne on the beach with blonde tousled hair and pouty lips. :)

NOW, I just purchased another bottle. I had a similar experience as Jacster. The salesgirl was quite good and right away picked up on my "type" of scent. Woods, moss, spice, vanilla, light green...
I saw Jicky and spritzed it on. Waited and sniffed. Ugh. Waited another 15 minutes and I asked her, what is THIS on my upper arm? She said, you have been trying on a few but that was Jicky! I knew it! It had dried to a sort of sexy civet, spicy, light, greenish scent that made me crazy.As in "Oh Jicky!"

I was sniffing out all sorts of new scents and was simply stunned at how complex and wonderful Jicky still is after all these years. So many fragrances all smell the same to me. As in juicy, fruity, sweet and flowery. Or the spice and musk notes just don't quite go all the way, leaving you frustrated. (hello, Versace Crystal Noir!)...

I bought it right away.There is just something about this scent that "gets me" every single time. It is truly a masterpiece. What a gift.

Grottola

The current EDT of Jicky is decent but it's a bit thin. Instead of civet, it feels like they're using jasmine (indoles) to achieve the animalic smell. Also, it doesn't last very long. I'm lucky if I can get two hours out of the stuff. Still, it's Jicky.

Of course the vintage lasts longer and has more resinous richness, even in the EDT. So, I'd go vintage with Jicky, but supposedly the pure parfum is an excellent representation. Maybe someday I'll get my hands on some of the pure parfum.

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

My cousin gave me this fragrance, and I was utterly happy since I adore Guerlain. At first I don't know what to expect, since Jicky is one of Guerlain's initial perfumes. I put it on my wrist, sniffed it...wow, it is greaattt! Like you smell on the source of Shalimar, Habit Rouge and other Guerlain's signatures. For me, this is a gem...portraiting something opulent in the golden years past but yet it is not outdated, at all. I really thank my cousin, for giving this beautiful perfume!

Mignonette6
Mignonette6

Opens with a blast of sharp lavender with a sour back note. I agree with the prior poster's "puke" comment. I thought the same thing. That lasts only a few minutes, then softens to warm & spicy and fresh mint with a leather base. It seems masculine to me. I am not disappointed. I think Guerlain fragrances are works of art, they are complex and beautifully balanced. Jicky is no different.

Shtefitza
Shtefitza

A beautiful perfume, I went through bottles of it over the years... I always come back to it. It is an insult to call it fresh, although it is a fresh citrusy fragrance. It is understated in a most complicated way. It is so precious, I rarely tell people about it... I want to keep it a secret... :D Staying power is excellent, it continues to wake me up through the day with its citrusy note, continues to calm me down with its lavande and continues to boost my confidence with powdery aldehyde in the background. What else one can expect from a perfume?

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

I am in love. There are scents that are so so. There are those that I would buy. And there are those that make me frantically search the earth for a bottle. That last is what my sample of the vintage Parfum extrait is doing to me. I can't stop sniffing myself. The notes are accurate. I can pick out the citrus, bergamot and zest of the mandarin. Beneath them the patchouli, the amber and the musk. They all live in harmony and yet all are noticeable in themselves. It's heavenly. Now I have to search for a bottle online having the misfortune of living in a country that only sells current fragrances. If anyone knows where to get one online please let me know. I live in despair of losing bids in eBay.
update: lucky me managed to get the EDP version at a not so astronomical price at scentstore uk.

Jacster
Jacster

I've been fancying that I might try to track down a bottle of vintage Jicky. My name is
Jackie, and I rather like the thought of an 'old-fashioned' fragrance whose name is similar to mine.

But I thought I'd better try some first, believing that if the current formulation is to my liking then the vintage version will be spectacular.

When I asked at a Guerlain counter for a spray on a card and on my wrist the woman looked at my like I had two heads. "Jicky?? But that's so old-fashioned! Anyway, we'd have to order it in."

I reiterated that it was not that I wanted to purchase it today, but that I'd like to try it on my skin and on a card to take home.

Well, she rummaged around in a drawer and finally retrieved a tester spray of the parfum. On she went. "Its dreadful. Why would anyone buy this? There are so many other beautiful fragrances out there. It stinks."

I endeavoured to point out that Jicky is indeed a fragrance of long-standing and it being so was one of the things that made me want to try it. I didn't bother telling her about the name thing.

I thought she might heave up her lunch when she squirted out the spray, such was her disdain.

My initial response as I tilted my head to my wrist was to agree with her, and I left feeling rather disappointed and surprised.

Then it hit me! Jicky began to unfurl its complexities and I realised that i was wearing a truly sensational fragrance!

Top note for me was aniseed or fennel. Very strong and not much to my liking. Then a hint of rosemary.

But then the next layer of fragrance emerged. A lush, creamy floral of some sort. A musky violet perhaps? Yes and no. A beautiful quality triple-milled soap? Perhaps. Whatever it was, it was rapturous.

Who'd have thought the base note would be the clear favorite? Luscious vanilla, but nothing like what passes for vanilla in other so-called fragrances I had smelled before. No, not vanilla entirely. A rich fragrance, sexy and voluptuous. Something else. Something from my past. A fragrance that a teacher had worn perhaps, or a friend of my mother's.

I realized several hours later, when the base note was still enveloping me in its charm, that it reminded me very much of Emeraude, circa 1972.

Five hours later and Jicky was still enchanting me.

What a gift!

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

I'm going to be honest: I _LOVE_ Jicky. L O V E. There are very few fragrances in this world that elicit an emotional reaction from me, and this is one of them.

I see there is a lot of strange and inaccurate things written here about the fragrance, and I'd like to clear some of them up:

1. The three modern concentrations are very different. The Eau de toilette has a very juicy bergamot/lavender opening and a dry woody post-80s shalimar edc-esque drydown. The Eau de Parfum has a very sweet, less citrusy/herbal opening and a sweet, incensey drydown. It also has the most civet to my nose, which comes through very strongly just after the opening. The drydown is most similar to Mouchoir de Monsieur or Bulgari Black. The extrait has a very piercing, crystalline bergamot/lavender opening, similar to the EDT, with the deep drydown of the Eau de Parfum. It is also the only concentration with a notable floral quality. It is the best concentration, but the price is really quite high for what it is. You can get 5oz of the EDP for the price of 1oz of the extrait.

2. On the "vomit" and "diaper" comments: Civet, Bergamot, and Rosemary are present in high amounts in the fragrance. I believe this combination is the source of the vomit and diaper comments, but I don't think it's nearly what people claim it to be, and I'm very sensitive to Rosemary. It almost killed M7 for me! If this combination is too much present, it is perfectly balanced in the extrait.

3. Longevity of the current extrait: This is something I would have agreed on until I got an official sample from Guerlain. The tester I tried in New York had abysmal longevity and a questionable aroma. The sample I received very recently from Toronto is fantastic in all respects and lasts longer than the EDP on me. Perhaps this was a batch issue, perhaps sourcing problems, but everything seems to be fixed now. It's gorgeous.

Now go buy some!

Jellybean
Jellybean

Herbal, citrussy, minty scent. Lavender, rosemary and tea are the strongest here. Somewhat creamy; vanilla, benzoin and leather.
As a recent herbal fan, I give thumbs up for this one.
It is zesty fresh clean scent. It warms up few minutes into it, floral hues show up and carry on to the end.
This fragrance smells better with time:)
4-5 hours of herbaliciousness!

eam531
eam531

I just got a sample of the vintage Jicky EdT from Perfumed Court.

I'm not getting this huge skanky barnyard smell that some people describe. Here's what I AM getting ...

A sort of post-coital warm skin scent.

It must be coming from civet? It's dried down a bit, and I am getting some vanilla too, very subtle.

It's really very, very nice; very sexy but it doesn't scream, at least on me.

This must have been a wow in 1889, and it hasn't aged a day. Amazing stuff.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

Is there a classic Guerlain that I won't like? This is an absolutely lovely creation. Yes, it's unisex but would come across as seriously 'dandified' on a bloke. It's soft, natural, sexy and smells like a hot afternoon in provence, where the scent of lavender is overlaid by barnyard and herbal scents. It's clean, it's dirty, it's great!!

In Vogue
In Vogue

All I smell is rotten vegetables. It overwhelms the whole scent for me. Must clash with my chemistry.

boulouboulou
boulouboulou

Balancing at its best.
When I need a cosy fragrance close to me, I go for this one. Very changing and complex, confidential. I wear it for myself very selfishly. The EDP is a better choice for the staying power. This frag is a good introduction to JP Guerlain's work, wearable but still a lot of character, a bit old-fashioned at the beginning with this beautiful lavender. Check the Guerlinade. It's classified women but was originally designed for men. Be aware !

Lasting : good

jrichart
jrichart

Por fin llegó el día que probé Jicky edt, uno de los perfumes famosos mas antiguos junto con Royal English Leather de Creed. En primer lugar decir que me apabullé de ver que Jicky es del año 1889 y al probarlo aunque parezca paradójico lo encuentro un perfume mas bién dinámico y atemporal para nada rancio o antiguo. En segundo lugar y ya metiéndome en la fragancia decir que me he llevado una grata sorpresa con Jicky pues lo encuentro una fragancia de esas que dan a quien las lleva un aura de elegancia y refinamiento sin precedentes. Aunque esta en la línea de Mouchoir de Monsieur y Caron Pour Homme en lo que concierne a refinamiento e ingredientes hay en mi humilde opinión unas ligeras variaciones, Mouchoir de Monsieur lo veo más helecho aromático, Caron Pour Homme es más en la línea de lo que es un oriental helecho y Jicky lo veo entre un oriental helecho y un chipre light, vamos un semioriental helecho con sutiles tintes chipres. Jicky me ha parecido un perfume de los que yo considero Hermosos en el sentido más literal del término, únicamente he conocido dos perfumes de los que podría denominar hermosos, estos son Apres l'Ondee y L'Heure Bleue, hermosos me refiero a que Apres l'Ondee, L'Heure Bleue y en menor medida Jicky, son hermosos porque son perfumes muy poéticos, románticos y me atrevería a decir casi impresionistas, especialmente Apres l'Ondee y L'Heure Bleue. En resumen, el primer perfume moderno de la historia que rompió el binomio cítrico y floral como era de costumbre en los orígenes de la perfumería y uno de los perfumes que han servido de arquetipo a muchos otros y a muchos de la propia casa Guerlain como a Shalimar. El único pero que le pongo es que proyecta y perdura poco. Lo recomiendo para uso diario y para el día, claro está que la versión edt pues luego está la versión edp, pdt y parfum que esas serán más para ocasiones formales y para la noche.

RachelGrigg
RachelGrigg

Gosh! I get greasy motor mechanic and farmyard whiff. That said I can't stop sniffing my arm......!

Maylone

WOW! I had no idea this was a scent from the 1800's!

Kharnak
Kharnak

Opening is strongly of Anise. Citrus, Lemon, Rosemary are only at the very beginning. Coming off a bit Green.
THEN I was surprised, it's quite brilliant, it's very complex and well blended. It progressively gets sweeter and sweeter yet as it dries, turning almost into a Licorice Stevia Leaf vibe. STRONG overdose of Tonka(Vanilla-Cinnamon), Benzoin(Resinous Vanilla), and Vanilla..... So.... Shalimar is supposedly Jicky + MORE Vanilla? wow.
I can dig it.

le mouchoir de monsieur
le mouchoir de monsieur

Ah, Jicky. When one considers all the hundreds of thousands of perfumes that have come and gone, and how their creators labored over them, it's hard to fathom that nobody with a nose that counts in the industry would ever dare to contest the fact that Jicky remains, to this day, a singular study. To properly process the cultural and historical references inherent in this composition, one must have at least a vague understanding of the context that gave birth to it: The World's Fair of 1889, the very one that brought us the Eiffel Tower, the year "The Industrial Age" became an undeniable reality to Western Civilization. Previously, there had been much discussion about industrialism, was it a passing fancy? The 1889 World's Fair in Paris brought the world its final answer: It was The Future. The Eiffel Tower shocked everyone-- viewed as an unnecessary monstrosity by all and sundry--Electricity was feared--photography questioned, The Machine, reviled. All of this came crashing down on Western culture, bringing with it an intense debate....and, amid this tumult, in the "Pavillon Guerlain," a monument to the uncontested, unquestioned, universally accepted and unchallenged superiority of French Perfumery, Jicky is unveiled. As shocking as electricity, as awesome as the Eiffel Tower, as disquieting as "the Machine." To get an idea of just how shocking Jicky was in the year of its advent, one would best be advised to first smell a drugstore bottle of Parma Violets, then maybe a box of Roger & Gallet's "Rose The" soaps: These two scents offer a very good illustration of what had previously been considered "de bon ton" in the category of fragrance. Sweet, snappy, clean, transparent soliflores, or dark rooty spice notes, like bay rhum, were the sole players on the stage upon which Jicky landed in 1889. As it is with all Great Things, most people were outraged. It has been told to me by a very elderly woman I knew many years ago in paris who was there and actually remembered the "Scandale," that the main comment being murmured was: "Ca sent les pieds." (It smells like feet) For those who had more refined senses, the word "Pornographique" was applied. As with all pornography, women were insulted--but men were intrigued. To this day the discussion continues: No other perfume has ever evoked such strong feelings, and none ever will. No perfume today would be conceived with such balance, effortlessly teetering on the brink of the beautiful and the foul, thus delivering in the olfactive a very real illustration of the true meaning of "Je ne sais quoi," that which eludes everyone: Like a forbidden lover, or lethal narcotic that damns you--that drags you through the mire--but to whom you run....run: Insatiably lusting after that which you know is your downfall. The secret to Jicky is the very secret of seduction itself: To delight, and to disgust, simultaneously--seamlessly--to attract, and to repulse: Should you? Shouldn't you? The people at Guerlain, and all of the industry know: Though there is much talk about "Mitsouko" being the finest fragrant composition the world has ever witnessed, it is a well kept secret that, were the truth made public, Jicky would bare that banner; Except it won't be known: For such is Jicky. Eternally secret--The Love, the Obsession, forever lurking in the shadows, all the more suave for their shade. Very possibly the finest perfume ever created......Very obviously, distinctly not for everyone.

fanny
fanny

Mellow and mysterious.
At first I had problems with longevity too. Trick: spray on skin and clothes (on the verge). My clothing preserves the fresh notes (lavender), my skin ads the dark ones.
In my top 5.

hereward
hereward

Some old uncle and aunt gave it to me when I was 20 and I thought it smelled foul, like mosquito repellent, but I didn't dare say anything. And hey presto, next birthday: another large bottle of the same. Luckily a girlfriend liked it and it smelled different on her, so please try before you buy!

twinbeauty
twinbeauty

I am puzzled by this perfume. The civet makes it smell dirty...this perfume is notorious because it was supposed to smell like sex, and frankly it does. I however, don't think this to be a good thing. There is a reason why people shower after sex!! Most people anyway.... This would be a nice scent if you work at a brothel, or S&M dominatrix as a profession. There is a fine line between its skank allure and "skunk" allure. There may be a few femme fatales with the chemistry to pull this scent off, but I think on most women it will be a stinker.

Portia Turbo
Portia Turbo

Another gorgeous scent eaten by my skin. 1 hour and gone. GRRRR

boruvka44
boruvka44

Ancestor of Shalimar, with added value - herbal aromatherapy with calming effect.
It has the same juicy, naturally sour lemon/bergamot freshness with incense, chime in with sharpness of lavender and rosemary. I can smell the top notes till the end. After couple minutes sandalwood and vanilla joins. It all sits in the smooth luxurious powder smell, typical for Guerlain.
The advert is so nice, she is like Constance in Lady Chatterley's Lover driving her little car.
I review EDP and going to buy pure perfume.
Now the bad part: my barbarian husband renamed it Yucky and wasp spray at the first sniff and the next day when he smelled the dry down, he said something in the house stinks like breath of alcoholic homeless.....

Sorcerer1001
Sorcerer1001

This one is so different than i anticipated. I can really see the beauty in it that everyone else does but to me its more of a chin scratcher than an addictive wonderful scent. I didnt really smell fields of lavender, citrus, vanilla, or vetiver. For me it smelled like the powder in insolence along with the sweet waxed lips smell from the top notes of shalimar initial. I am taking into consideration my sample was edt, should have gone for the edp version. I am planning to buy a guerlain in the habit de fete container and am trying to decide which of the ones offered to buy and i was really hoping for this one. Not that i dont like it but it isnt very complex and doesnt unfold the way shalimar does. If anyone has tips as far as if the edp is different message me :-)

RobAtSGH
RobAtSGH

I'm a guy. A pretty much guy's-guy kinda guy. Leather, whisky, straight-razor shaving, pistol-packin', hiking in the woods, eating BBQ ribs off the bone guy.

I. Love. Jicky.

When I'm out working in the garden, I could spend hours tending to the lavender plants just reveling in the smell of them. I use Dr. Bronner's liquid lavender soap in the shower. I shave with Speick lavender and valeriana cream. So, no surprise that this classic Guerlain would pique my curiosity, especially with its unisex history. I first got a sample of it to compare with another classic lavender/vanilla combo - Caron's Pour un Homme.

Jicky is lavender & burnt vanilla sugar with animalic leather and civet to Caron's green-minty herbal woody concoction. On a man, it's fresh and vibrant, with the floral and vanilla softening the edges. Atypical enough to grab attention, but with a sufficiently masculine base to keep it from being too "pretty." On a woman, it's citrus and lavender with a naughty, feral side. It's innocence on top and sensuality beneath.

This is a fragrance that you and your sweetie can both wear... just not at the same time, please.

greydove
greydove

I have to finally say that Guerlain is my favorite house, and its not even because I can wear all of them that well, its just because the classic Guerlains are truly "living" perfumes. Each one is a fully realized, living, breathing moment. Jicky is just fantastic! Nutty, earthy, tangy, herbal and sweet all at the same time. It reminds me a lot of Dzing by L'Artisan because its got that animal-stables thing going on, but its comforting -like when you stand close to a horse and you can smell its fur and the leather tack on its body. And maybe you've just come back from riding in your leather gloves and black buttoned up riding jacket and there's a sprig of lavender in your hand.

LindyLou
LindyLou

I may be updating this review soon. I am intrigued by Jicky which I tried on today at the guerlain counter (they said they will have it over christmas at this stage and I tried a 'parfum de toilette'. Hmm. Interesting.). At first I thought it was an intolerable scent. It smells a bit 'pukey' to start with. It is like something is too acidic in the perfume. But then the bit I don't like dies down to something I can wear, and it's a beautiful soft smell. A little sweet and vanillary, a little like vanilla fruit buns my mum makes. I think the way it works on me later may be enough to forgive the initial gross smell. I keep smelling my arm. Definitely smells like leather too, like an sleek pair of gloves.

cryptic
cryptic

Don't you love it when your enthusiasms overlap? I came across this great reference to Jicky in Answered Prayers by Truman Capote:

The room smelled of her perfume...at some point I asked what it was, and Colette said: “Jicky. The Empress Eugenie always wore it. I like it because it’s an old-fashioned scent with an elegant history, and because it’s witty without being coarse--like the better conversationalists. Proust wore it. Or so Cocteau tells me.”

I don't know if any of the above is true, but it was a kick to have Jicky pop up in my reading. I just hope Jicky and the other Guerlain greats are always around to inspire writers and perfumistas alike, in defiance of changing tastes and the march of time. May the perfume gods protect this treasure from the IFRA and the penny pinchers at LVMH.

MaggieKat
MaggieKat

I love it, I just tried it for my Perfumedcourt Gemini sampler today and it is absolutely wonderful. Want more.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

I think that this is definitely unisex. I get the woody notes in the opening and most definitely the fresh and relaxing lavender, with a dash of spices. But then I was surprised to catch a trace of the fruits which sweetens it and smells like candied orange peel on me. It is softened by the jasmine and sandalwood, with a lot of powdery amber. The dry down is very nice indeed, and more feminine than the opening. I really don't smell vanilla though.
This is less of an oriental woody to me as neither the spices nor the woody notes are especially dominant, this is remarkably well blended with smooth development. I think when I'm a little older and actually in my profession that I would like to have this fragrance. It is not that it is an 'old' scent, more that I think of this for a relaxed but self-assured woman. I liked it better than I expected, the first of the classic Guerlains to wear well on me.

missymary
missymary

One for the schizophrenia fans, a mad blend of unusual horror. It's the lavender part that really produces the unbearable ferocity of the clash with the spices and cedar. Hate it, but I can see where its cult status comes from. I would admire it on a man who had the charisma to carry it off..

ducktuck
ducktuck

Tricky Jicky!
Whenever I first spray Jicky I'm a little disappointed because all I smell is lavender (don't get me wrong I love lavender). But within 1/2 hour I find myself wondering, what smells so amazing? ME! It turns rich, creamy, deep, dirty and complex as the leather, vanilla, and tonka bean take over. A must try for all lavender lovers.
Beautiful sillage, and great lasting power.

Capricious Capricorn
Capricious Capricorn

Got my most gushing perfume compliment on this one. It's a wonderful bipolar composition of fresh & skank (lavender & civet). Complicated, compelling, one of the most sophisticated in my collection.

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

I love Jicky as much as I love any perfume but I don't have a burning to desire to buy another bottle. All of the things that make it stand above so much that's come since are just the things that make it exhausting to wear. Like riding clothes; feel great, not despite but because, they are uncomfortable. But impossible for all day every day. I'm too lazy to wear Jicky; too much like being in the cavalry. Makes me think of a commemorative tea cup I saw once with the kaisers of both Prussia and Austria-Hungary.

louanna
louanna

WOW. Love, love, love Jicky. I simply can't get enough of it. Really don't know how to describe it, but it is very fresh and at the same time warm and very comforting. I get lavender, rosemary, citrus notes, vanilla, sandalwood and, surprisingly, also cinnamon, although it's not listed as one of the notes.
I do have a big 3.1 oz EDT bottle but EDT is not very strong, and it's going down so fast!

dhoakohime
dhoakohime

Totally agree with UrbanBeautyful, you definately can smell the seeds of shalimar in jicky, specially the leathery aspect of both fragrances. Jivky would be like the big sister of shalimar. At first it was super citrusy on me, strong lemon and bergamont until the dry down, when it turned super soft and sweet and ambery warm. Not a big fan of the opening notes, but delicious development. Certanly will get a full bottle, just not the first in mi "i want it" list.

UrbanBeautiful
UrbanBeautiful

Jicky smells strange and nice, warm and cold at the same time. its a great composition, very interesting, bold, a masterpiece but quite a difficult one. For me the 3 notes stand out the most: lavender, citrus and vanilla. And it has a slightly animalic note to it. Also it is very unisex.
Its like the daughter of Shalimar.... a little edgier and bolder, younger and crazier :))
Awesome, but I just cant get to love it, it is too difficult for me, and I just cant figure the situation/outfit and weather I could wear this to. So I have to say goodbye... you was just to complicated to understand and handle... like a very difficult teenage kid. Im sorry, I so wanted to love you...

oliseeger
oliseeger

If there’s any perfume so wonderful in the world, it must be Jicky!!
It is something that takes you to another time; to another universe.
It smells fresh and at the same time, extremely luxury with its soft vanilla and tonka bean and, what it was told me from my great-aunt, it’s smell of Citrus limettioides.
For me it has a sentimental value once this wonderful perfume was used by my great-grandfather.
Since I was a kid, I was always connected to Shalimar (that’s why it is my second favorite perfume; Jicky is my favorite!!). To start loving Jicky, was easy!!
I recommend it!!

jtd
jtd

I love Jicky, but I'll buck a few trends among the cognoscenti.

1) I prefer the EDT to the extrait.

2) The first time I smelled it (before I ever heard the Shalimar/Guerlain creme brûlée mythology) I thought Jicky smelled like lavender creme brûlée. Didn't make me like it any less.

So there.

Louvenia
Louvenia

Jicky to my nose seems like a soliflore lavender perfume accompanied with herbs such as rosemary.A well refined,very ''french'',sophisticated,''clean'',lavender perfume without being harsh or powdery ''old''.Pure wet lavender blooming in a garden!That's what Jicky reminds me of!Nights in Provence watching gardens blooming. A definite work of art,a classic masterpiece.

delphine67
delphine67

Im testing Jicky right now. It opens with lots of lavender and a strange note that smells on my skin a bit like something medicinal, I guess that is the rosemary. Dont like that note much. but after a few minutes it becames softer and there is the tonka bean. It makes the scent woody. The dry down is lovely, soft and woody. a bit lavender, a bit vanilla,a bit sandalwood.

Henriette

I do love Jicky on its own but I can attest it is wonderful when mixed, among the other, with Eau de Guerlain for example, with Eau d'Iparie by L'Occitane and a few others. I discovered this by chance, I am not one who usually mix perfumes but I love playing with Jicky. I was not satisfied with the lasting power of Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat and Eau de Guerlain and Jicky gives more stength. I also like the thought of being one of Guerlain's master perfumers for a moment when I create my mixes. Go and have a try yourself!!

ClockworkCat
ClockworkCat

Jicky is not like Eau de Hadrien, but I can see how both would appeal to the same person. Although I'm more of a Mitsouko girl, I fell for Jicky around the same time while exploring the Guerlains. Jicky is sophisticated and very 'English' with its herbs and lavender. Certainly a fragrance James Bond would wear and a known favourite of Sean Connery. That wonderful Guerlain style vanilla (slightly harsh in a raw, natural way. Not abrasive, but earthy and not like a creme brulee)is present and although the citrus is detectable, it takes a back seat and makes the fragrance shine in the daytime. This scent would also be good for night, as it is just in between light and strong, never too heavy or in any way offensive, but very original and interesting :)

Eau de Hadrien is certainly a daytime fragrance and much lighter, mostly lemons and citrus. That first 'hit' is similar (Like Mitsouko and Petite Cherie with that instant 'sweet and sour' effect of top notes that I love so much) however there is much more going on in Jicky. EdH is nice, but please don't pass Jicky by because there is no other fragrance anything like it :)

krissycat

I'm so excited, I received my sample of Jicky today from Perfumed Court. This smells very good! I smell lemon and cinnamon. I also can see why this could also be labeled a cologne for men because there is a certain note I can't specify that is masculine, but not so much that I wouldn't be able to wear this. I don't find it all that strong but I think if I had the actual edp spray that might fix that problem. I only dabbed a few dots on my pulse points. It's a pleasant, feel good scent, and I'm not surprised it has been around for so many years. I can't wait to test this on my fiance. I want to see if on his skin it smells better than mine because I think I might have just found the next cologne I'm buying him. Best part is, then I really get to enjoy it :)

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

The EdP sample that I tried starts out sweet, creamy and lemony, with a little bit of civet lurking in the background. As it dries down, there’s vanilla along with a bouquet of lavender and some culinary herbs that take the sweet edge off, and something a little “musty-fuzzy-prickly” in the base.

I must have the reformulated version, because this is not the skank-fest that I had expected. In fact, it’s quite well-mannered and pleasant from beginning to end. It’s really not floral at all, which in my book is a plus. The base notes seem much weaker than I would have expected, making me almost certain that this is the reformulation.

Whether it’s because of the reformulation or because styles eventually come full circle, I can’t say, but Jicky does not seem at all old-fashioned - certainly not over 100 years old! It definitely could hold its own with any contemporary fragrance. Now I really need to try the vintage for comparison.

krissycat

Is Jicky anything like Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien? I am curious being that I own Annick Goutal and it has that lemon scent. I'm wondering if I do buy Jicky if they are so much alike that it would be silly owning both? I noticed one reviewer said on them it smells like cinnamon donuts.. I am a gourmand lover, I'm wondering if I would have a similar experience and my curiousity is peaked

safaristory
safaristory

i had it and just love it! it`s so worm and make me feel safe.

This review is of the vintage Jicky Parfum de Toilette

Interesting, I guess I was expecting this one to be a skanky beast. Wasn't I surprised when I got my hands on a sample, and was greeted with a calming mix of lavender, vanilla, and a very kind civet. Ungaro II - style civet. I also understand why Jicky is unisex - it really is a simple fragrance that is more about art than gender. It's not something I'd wear regularly, but I can appreciate its uniqueness!

Cosnidering this is one of the few perfumes from the late '800 still in production I guess there's nothing much to add to what have been already said. Jicky, although beeing often listed as a female fragrance, it's famous to be one of the first shared perfumes.

I could go through notes explaination but I prefer to put it simple: If Jicky is still in production since 1889 there should be a good reason. Now it's up to you to discover which one it may be. For me it's absolutely tremendous.

I expected something strange, so strange that I was prepared to be completely turned off. Jicky was so far from being repulsive, that it was actually quite humourous. In fact, Jicky for me is pure love.

This is a beautiful, smooth yet crisp lemon and herb blend. On my skin Jicky becomes rather spicy and bold, almost foody with a strange cinnamon and vanilla concoction that smells very much like cinnamon doughnuts.

Every now and then there's that distinguishable calamine lotion smell which is found in many Guerlain classics, which I adore by the way. It's strange, but in some ways I find Jicky more elegant than Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue.

I would recommend this fragrance for both sexes. I would not be able to keep my hands off a man wearing this. On my skin Jicky appears to be sweeter, more gourmand and oriental, however on a man's skin I do believe the leather and the lemon would create something very pleasing to a female nose.

Jicky is so complex that I am continuously amazed by this composition through the duration of the wearing, which is very long-lasting by the way. I am not astounded to realise that Jicky has been alive and kicking since 1889. It's one fragrance that deserves to last the next 500 years. I am yet to try the EDP, pure parfum and vintage versions of Jicky, however for the EDT alone, I am suitably impressed.

bookwyrmsmith
bookwyrmsmith

This review is from memory of trying by bottle.
Lemony waxy opening -not "Pledge" it strikes me more like a custom blended furniture wax -someones secret recipe(my Dad refinishes wood furniture as a hobby and former college years PT job).
There is a sort of creamy herbal and lavender part that meshes with a animalic (NOT CAT PEE-I have a male and two female cats -trust me LOTS of box and protest marking experience in my past.)note that makes me think of some past visit to a zoo.Somewhat manure-ish but not horse -elephant maybe?This must be the civet note -not loving it /not hating it either but the aforementioned kittys(the male in particular find civet threatening and will mark his protest).
The spicy-citrus-creamy drydown is nice .
In all honesty this is an okay/like on occasion scent for me .The only thing is the civet/animal poo mid notes and my darling kitty's reaction push it into a dislike .

Lady Love
Lady Love

(Edp Review)

Shalimar Legere and Jicky smell almost the same to me, and I just can't believe it. But this is not really a big surprise, because shalimar Legere is more citrus with less vanilla compared with the normal shalimar.

Jicky is an intellectually interesting scent and the notes that predominate are lavender with a hints of citrusy notes. This would be absolutely magnificent on a man.

Anyway i don't feel Jicky is for me, but I appreciate the importance of this very old fragrance. The first "modern" perfume doesn't mean the best.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

So many different opinions about Jicky! I first bought it for $10 on a throw-out table at a chemist in about 1973. Next day I went back and bought all they had - 6 precious bottles. Also tried other Guerlains but they did nothing for me. Jicky is ME. It was so MUSTY, cobwebby, vaguely lavender-y, not sweet. I was pretty lavish with it and my 6 bottles all disappeared. When I searched for it again many years later - the price had escalated x about 20 but I still bought it. To my disappointment it must have been reformulated because today's Jicky hasn't got that musty, dry scent any more, there is more lemon. You can sometimes "smell through it" and get a faint whiff of the old style. If you know the Greek wine retsina, it has the same musty cobwebby bouquet - maybe I should dab it behind my ears?!? I don't hope to ever find a more wonderful perfume.

P.S. The bottle I bought (refillable) looks like a dalek.

sofiii
sofiii

Jicky is a piece of art, but I don't think I can pull it off or truely appreciate it in my age (22).

Jicky starts with the Shalimar-minuse-vanilla smell, it is like cream in an old, pressed, aged-cake-with-tart-muted-orange-y-scent way, plus a touch of spicyness along a cooking Italian herbs line.

Soon after the start,

[EDT]
goes less sweet or warm than EDP or Parfum version. It is sharp, in the citrusy-lavander-spicy sense. I feel it's like a breeze, it's likghter, and greener in comparison with other versions.

Then it smells like maybe 50% of a less aggressive, tamed orange scent + 25% Shalimar + 25% lanvender/Iris kinda coldness infused powder feeling.
As time goes, it's a quasi-Hermes Elixir des Merveilles + Shalimar.
Up till now, I would say, I'll go for the EDT version.

However, the horror starts as the dry down approaches. EDT has the most significant cat urine smell. it is really sharp, acidic, animalistic, repalling and attracting at the same time. However, the attractive part is just because I am curious because after Serge Lutens's Koublai Khan,I can rarely smell something like this. However, to be honest, I don't think I would ever wear this kinda dry down in public.

[EDP]
The EDP version gets warmer and rounder after the start. It has a more muted vanilla scent infused with spicy sweetness. It smells golden to me.

THen I can smell some really welll-blended notes which wrapped around the dominant lanvender notes in the core. The EDP is a much warmer and smooth experience than EDT, but even in winter, I find it too much, too warm and too spice-shop-smelling.

Then dry down of the EDP has the cat urine smell too, however, because of the quite strong spiceness infused middle notes, the cat piss doesn't smell as significant as the EDT's.

[Parfum]
The parfum version is warm and spicy after the top notes too. However, in the parfum, things smell more solid in a mature, nice, nature way; it's like inhaling directly from a star anis, or a clove, that kinda solid feeling.

Then it goes weird in an amazing, intriguing way, it smells dirty, animalistic(but not the significant urine smell, thank goodness!). It's like smelling a pot of fermentated wine, it reminds me a lot of Le Labo's Oud 27.

The Parfum version stays like this rich, bold mixtures for quite a long time, and I didn't notice much acidic smell. However, it is quite strong, if you don't like Le Labo Oud 27, you might hate this one.

---
after more than 14 hours, the urine smell's nearly gone, and for all the versions, there are powdery, cold spicy typical Guerlain smell (I'm thinking about the dry down of Shalimar, L'Instance) in the left-over dry down, to varing degrees of warmth(the Parfum smell the warmest, and the EDT the least).

If only Jicky could smell like this sooner I would be happily wear Jicky, however, I don't think I have the time to time when do I want my Jicky to be smelt and apply one night ago.

Overall, I find none of the three version wearable(if your normal perfume exposure time is 8 hours and you apply them in the morning) to me at this stage, but it is quite an amazing experience to try Jicky on, for it is truely different and carries a old time charm.

Cereza
Cereza

Oh my. This is naughty. The opening reminds me very much of opening of Shalimar, so you probably will know what I have to say if you have read my review on Shalimar. It does not work.
It's so animalistic that it just does not work on my skin as I would like it to. I get loads of lemon, but it's here the bad kind of lemon - the sharp, acidic lemon with nothing holding in back. I might get food thrown at me for what I have to say, but, ok, here we go - it smells like horny cat's urine someone tried to cover with some lemon pledge. Here I said it.

But as with all stinkers...I find myself sniffing my wrist all the time. Hmm, what does that say about me? Cannot wear this, but it's so naughty that my nose is stuck to my wrist.

trax
trax

I do not think I am mature enough in my perfume experiences to give a fitting review of this. But I will review it anyway as there may be other immature ones out there who gets what I am getting :)
This struck me as very oldfashioned, glycerin soap, aromatic saddle soap in fact. A hint of something dirty, fecal or sweat (but bear in mind dirty notes always play first violin on my skin..)
I get the same fecal/leather note from this that I get from Chanel Cuir de Russie, another total miss on my skin..
I would love to smell how these work on the right person/right skin! I am sorry it did not work for me, I would never diss a scent intentionally!

milena
milena

Jicky what can I say it is truly a guerlaine work of art. I received the edt today and it is a true beauty, a mother to shalimar. Lavender in its sweet glory covered by vanilla and citrus scents.I have it on me now and shalimar comes alot to mind. Not bad for edt. Definitely cand be used by both men and women.My new love.The base is charming. Guerlinade all the way. CLASSIC.

harlequin1572
harlequin1572

There is little to add to the thorough expert reviews of this definition of a masterpiece, so I'll just chime in with one of the few observations still unstated:

It is mind-boggling that even the reformulated EdT sample, the least representative of this perfume's original grandeur as I remember it and the only thing I could afford right now - a synthetic horror in comparison with the original - is still a hauntingly beautiful scent in its own right.

elusivek

I was just about to put my vintage Jicky up for swap/sale when I decided to try it one more time. The first time I tried it was in the heat and humidity of high summer and I did not care for it.

However, today on a cool day with a lot less humidity made a HUGE difference. The first time I tried it, it was sweet, very powdery, vanilla, lavender and definitely feminine.

This time much more of the spice is still present, it's more masculine, I can see the unisex aspect of it. I can also pick up the light floral and the dreaded powder I can't stand is so far in the background I don't really pick it up.

I have to say it again, what a HUGE difference. I love it in the cooler weather, it's so totally different than when trying to wear it when it is hot. Make sure you try it in the fall or winter before forming an opinion on it!!

Yamba1
Yamba1

This review is for the EDP version. I have read Jicky EDP behaves quite differently from the weaker EDT concentration however I can only comment on my experience of EDP. As other reviewers have stated, the initial burst of Jicky is quite confronting- something I had not experienced before and initially was not easy to understand. The lavender/citrus/rosemary opening is overtaken by a pungent civet animalistic accord that in my opinion is the real character behind this fragrance. It's repelling but alluring at the same time and I find it completely addictive. Drydown develops into expose the vanilla wood base with the reminder of the lavender heart. I find Jicky easy to wear and I still get a thrill from the opening notes!
Many reviwers have spoken of the emotions evoked by some of the classic guerlains such as Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue. Whilst I have not yet fully tested L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko has never touched my soul (despite attempts on my part and coming away each time feeling somewhat dejected).
It's Jicky that promotes an emotive reponse from me. When I wear it I feel its age and history coming through. (NOT to say it makes me feel 121yrs old!!) What I feel is a sense of repsonsibility to this Grand Lady of perfume. As with any fine antique or work of art, to possess it is to be a mere custodian. This perfume with it's history and significance to the perfume world will no doubt live on beyond my years (corporate Guerlain biqwigs permitting). So the emotion it promotes in me is quiet reflection and admiration for such a masterpiece and also joy that I am able to capture a small part of its history.

elusivek

I had to see what the hype was about. I am reviewing a sample of the vintage EDT.

Do NOT get too close when you first spray!! I was having issues w the bottle and moved in close to where I sprayed – WOW! It was startling. It was a barrage of scents all at once. Citrus, spice, herbal, leather, powdery but creamy vanilla and ?? (I would assume it was the civet but it didn’t smell fecal or animal like to me). It was harsh and almost medicinal but then it disappeared very quickly.

The next scent I got was soda! It smells like cola to me which strikes me as strange because no one else has mentioned anything close to that in their reviews. My chemistry really plays with scents apparently.

That note flittered away and I was left with lavender and creamy, sweet, powdery vanilla which is where it stayed.

I kept waiting for the woods, spices, civet, or maybe even some of the leather to reemerge but alas, just lavender and vanilla.

There was no animalistic tone anywhere!! It definitely wasn’t wicked or sexy or mischievous on me, it was rather benign. In fact, if anything, it was timid! Kind of like a proper Victorian lady all bound up in her finery. I am drawn to unisex scents but this is way too soft/light and floral for me to think of Jicky in that manner.

I can appreciate its personality. I can understand the excitement it must have had when it was released and for quite some time after that. It must have been groundbreaking and unique, it’s still unique. However, in this day and age, it doesn’t move me. I am fortunate enough to have other options than mainly sweet & creamy vanilla lavender. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good for what it is, it’s just not my cup of tea.

BIG
BIG

after testing the EDT, i think that Jicky served as a blueprint for Shalimar, which i see imho as an evolved version of Jicky.
Jicky opens with a generous burst of lavender and subsequently cools down to a vanilla powdery base. It's definitely unisex material and there's nothing offensive about it!

johnstaf
johnstaf

I have over a hundred bottles of perfume, and I love all of the classic Guelains, Chanels and Carons. But Jicky is my true love. There are many perfumes that display a more spectacular form of beauty, but Jicky is more interesting somehow. She's like the tomboy sister in a family of supermodels. I can't imagine life without her.

Sissi
Sissi

The perfect winter perfume the top notes
first applied to my skin is an warm scent of Lavender then dries down to an
dusty note of Rosemary, sparkling and invigorating Bergamot and zesty Lemon.
i Dissagree with the placement of Basil
in this perfume when first to my skin
there was a scent of Basil right on top
with Lavender and Rosemary so Basil should be a top note the drydown turns sweet with the note of Amber with it's dry and powdery nuances of Vanilla.
and to add warmth to an cold and Winter's day is the note of exotic spices and the fiery spirit of Sandalwood. and i can also detect the scent of Frankincense& Myrrh the holiest of Raisens.

Guerlain's Jicky conjoures an image of when smelling A winter's morning pure
white snow laying untouched on the ground in the virgin forest snow covered
the fresh and leafy green pines to an unreconisizible hue of white and icicles
walking though the forrest with her Bright Scarlet Cloak and with her weaver's basket collecting pine leaves
neddles and holly for the christmas decorations tomorrow while during this
she heard a plantive and melencholic tune of a lone pan pipe so she placed the basket where she work on the ground and followed the
sound until finily she found who was playing the haunting tune it was an old wood satyr his head made of oak
his hair was made out of branches leafless eyes so dark and hollow they appeard black he has hooves for hands
and an deers body from the other end
she slowly came up to him and said
why are you playing such an sad song
it'll be christmas tomorrow the satyr just stared and did'nt answer and walked away continued playing his sad tune.

Jicky despite it's sparkling
opening it has also a cold clinical
and refindess that is rare in perfumes
today.

clubsauce
clubsauce

This review is for the EdT.
Never thought that I would fall in love with Jicky. Initially, I was worried how the civet note would interact with my skin but it works beautifully, just adds the perfect edge. Jicky opens stunningly; sharp yet creamy, settles into something almost reminiscent of a lemon cheesecake with a twist. Just the right amount of sweetness, perfectly balanced and elegant. The drydown on Jicky is one of the most beautiful I've ever experienced. A fragrance that is intriguing, sexy and classy but with an edge. Jicky does not smell a single bit dated for a fragrance which has been around since 1889.

oopsfauxpas

PS i just reviewed the ingredients in jicky, and it seems to have every ingredient in the entire perfume industry in it.

HOW CAN IT SMELL LIKE NOTHING?!?!?

oopsfauxpas

there is clearly something wrong with my nose - i don't get shalimar AT ALL, and it follows the same non-path with jicky. it's not that i hate them - shalimar smell like bonfire smoke, which is ok, and jicky - the parfum - smells like, well, nothing. at first it's like spilling cooking vanilla on my hand, and then it smells like i washed my hands - just nothing.

i love a lot of guerlain perfumes. but these 2 classics i JUST DON'T GET.

Disconouvo
Disconouvo

Jicky was first released as a man's fragrance. The women who started wearing it were prostitutes. If a man was with the prostitute he didn't leave with a feminine scent. It was almost the doom of Jicky as it became know as the prostitutes perfume.

Fortunately it managed to survive and it's popularity grew as those visiting Paris would take it home to their wives because the french women they spent time with would be wearing it.

Jicky happily adopted it's new gender and remains the greatest of all unisex fragrances.

efm
efm

I was given Jicky in my 20s and loathed it. I wasn't ready for it.

Three decades later, I appreciate the lack of cloying sweetness. I can't think of a recent mainstream release that is as brave in the use of geranium and rosemary. Perphaps Serge Luten has something to offer at this level of innovation.

The base note of vanilla in Jicky is a lesson to the perfumer makers of the 1990 and 2000s who produced cake mix instead of jus.

Jacques Guerlain also created L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit, all are long time friends of mine.

However it must be said that as much as I am a fan of Guerlain early perfumes, the cost of the Parfum and even the EDP makes them an investment and not just an indulgence. The EDTs are charming but lack the complexity of their big sisters.

aromaminx
aromaminx

i just simply adore this .it is so bloody expensive here in australia,not to mention near impossible to get hold of.if u love it like me,grab with both hands and sell your grandmother.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

Thank you to hollycat for this bonus sample!!!

EDT review:

I have tested this twice, and I can't explain why it's happening, but on my skin, I think the top notes may be interacting with the leather to produce [something extremely unpleasant] layered with basil. Obviously, this effect was entirely unexpected! This unpleasant note persists into the heart, where lavender begins to emerge for me, and I feel there may be hope... Finally in 30 minutes, the rest of the base notes appear, and it becomes a spicy, benzoin, vanilla-tonka-treat. I even begin to really like the fragrance, but then suddenly it disappears! From start to finish, it lasts no longer than one hour on me.

Hmph...what happened?!

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

Surprisingly unisex. I was thinkink Jicky could be more feminine but I can easily wear this strong and beautiful scent.
Tumbs up!

5/5 ...a classic!

guest_megatherion
guest_megatherion

Jicky is not gender specific, it was created and worn by both men and women. The only difference is that it is currently only marketed towards women.

The fragrance itself is difficult. I would recommend walking through light sprays preparing for a cold day.

holly13
holly13

I really want to try this even though it says it has a smell of leather. Leather is best smelling on a man, not a woman in my opinion.

Kterhark
Kterhark

(EDP Review)
At first sniff I found this to be very light and refreshing. The citrus notes really worked for me and are very crisp. The 30 min-4 hour time span was also very pleasant, which is when the lovely florals develop and the underlying wood notes make their entrance. I like this, but something in this fragrance I might be allergic too. It's not that this smells off to me, it smells very pleasant actually. But I noticed that everytime I took a sniff of my risk my stomach would tighten and I would get a little light headed. I'm wondering if this happens to anyone else?

megannsmom
megannsmom

Oooooh, Jicky! How I wish I had a better "nose" so that I could do justice to all your notes and nuances. I can only detect the Lavender.....the rest is a magical mystery to me; for me there is nothing that says citrus, nothing sharp or bitter either. On my skin Jicky is all smoothness; there is a sweetness and a bit of a powdery feel, and I find the overall effect comforting and incredibly elegant. This gem goes to the top of my "NEED to have full bottle" list, as my small sample will never do!

EvelynDFrech
EvelynDFrech

No, I cannot like Jicky. How big is the difference between the eau de parfume and the eau the toilette? I tried the eau the toilette and I couldn't figure it out. It was strong and bitter.

essija
essija

Jicky is so intoxicating. I simply can not get enough of the gorgeous scent. Its Citrus opening gradualy turns into this rich wood/lavendar scent that I want to spray all over my body until I'm drunk and pass out. I don't know how my wallet will react when I decide to purchase a full bottle, right now my decant is my best friend.

sky76sky
sky76sky

My lovely, ancient grandma is always going on about Jicky & how it was her mother's favourite perfume, but when ever I asked her how it smelled she said it was of another lifetime & so distinct that I would have to try it to understand it. I had really enjoyed Shalimar, so I did! I tried the EDP.

I'm not going to be popular, but I promise to be honest....Jicky is a bit of a shocker. If your nose is sensitive to civet then you may be in for a bit of a rough ride for a couple of hours after you spray this 'golden oldy'.

I enjoyed the citrus start, a slight warmth, very aromatic & a bit dis-used library. The musty incense is not the everyday kind, it is the deep, dark, treacley, funerial type, but that adds a serious edge to it. Then suddenly its ALL about the civet! Ancient, leathery & overpoweringly anilamalistic to my nose. A touch foxy a bit badger-set, throw in some old, musty attic & hey presto! This phase seemed to last for ever...& it's very hard to avoid your own hand, especially whilst in polite company :(

That aside, after 4 hours, it settled into something more bearable, although I would never say entirely pleasurable.
I agree with 'takemyhusband' - Jicky is just too feral for me to wear easily.

I also liberally sprayed a tester strip to give to my granny for a trip down memory lane. I left it in my room overnight &, I have to admit, the scent that wafted around was really rather lovely - much, much more pleasant than wearing it.

rebella
rebella

I think that Jicky is Shalimars english grandmother, I think it isn´t more than fair that even perfumes have their relatives.

At first Jicky was a wellbehaved, cute, rosy english girl. Fresh and sunny as ripe citrus fruits, but then she meet that Guerlain fellow and it was quite a scandal back then. She become modern, adeventorous and restless. She drived around the english countryside, scaring poor sheeps and farmboys.

And that was just the start, her parents desided to send her off to India, to an old aunt in Bombay... Some years in the colonies would cool her down they tought. But oh no, they couldn´t been more wrong. She was even more wild in India, eventually she meet an good looking, wealthy and oh so exotic maharadja. He was delighted with her freshness and european confidence and charm. She was knocked of her feets by his dark eyes, and even darker secrets.

Well, the maharadja was after all a decent guy, so they get married and lived happily ever after. Having a lot of happy and beautiful kids, restaurated the old palace and start growing strange spices and noble woods.

A part of the perfume history, of course a must try. And a really comfy, good, well aged one that is!

lavandana
lavandana

Old fashioned and elegant, sweet and alluring, intoxicating and addicting, yet contemporary and and wearable; Jicky is extraordinary and yet it is ordinary. The opening (which is sweet, citrusy, and aromatic all at once) is all together lovely and enchanting. The heart is intoxicating and remains faithful to the warm ambery enigmatic sweetness of the opening. Jicky is not a let down in the dry down. The warm sweet ambery heart mingles with the sexy sweet and enticing base. Now, with all this talk of sweetness, one would deem Jicky to be overbearingly sweet- but not so. The perfect balance of this perfume is what makes it so captivating from opening- to heart- to dry down. On my skin, Jicky even has the audacity and the tenacity to linger (ever so delicately) the morning after it is worn and sometimes after showering. Jicky is as glamorous as it is seductive. Jicky is as classy as it is sexy. It is undeniably a ‘Classic’--a fragrant masterpiece. Jicky has that certain something… ‘Je ne sais quoi.’ It is my all time favorite! I love Jicky! …betcha couldn’t guess! I have Parfum, EDP, and EDT. There are differences in the opening, heart and drydown of each concentration. Jicky IS, nevertheless, one of most beautiful and captivating fragrances that has ever been created.

BethAshley
BethAshley

I'm fairly sure I tested the Edt since I found it to be very light once dry. However, I was also careful not to spray on too much since Guerlain fragrances can be strong.

This fragrance is very different. I know it smells like something I recognize but I just can't put my finger on it. In a way it smells like opening an old dresser drawer that has been lined with floral paper and polished with lemon cleaner. But then something about it also reminds me of that new baby smell. Very confusing, I will have to try it again.

Overall, it smells soft, mature, traditional and pretty. Great choice for the office, terrible choice for a date.

Edt has lovely incensey notes, but overall there's a sharply citrus bugspray odor that never goes away. Horrid. The PdT (sort of EDP),however, is creamy and smooth with a very faint civet note. With the incense and that lovely creamy guerlainade base, I can understand the appeal of this. Still, the Edt was a nightmare experience so I'd suggest trying for the heavier concentrations.

guest_debi
guest_debi

I have a little bottle that I bought as a 15year old, now 51...I still have a little left and loathe to use it as I havent seen it in the same bottle since...does any one know if the fragrance has changed in anyway over the years?

Silvery
Silvery

I'm soooo curios about this perfume! I've heard and read many interesting things about it. I have to test such a big classic but I cannot find it in my country :S What a pity...

takemyhusbandplz
takemyhusbandplz

On me Jicky was a very strong almost feral bergamot/lemon powder. It reminds me of spraying lemon Pledge in a wet, musty attic. I usually go for Orientals, and I love lemon, but Jicky just doesn't work on me.

heather
heather

Jicky is among the most interesting and elegant fragrances in my wardrobe. I love it more every time I wear it: it is a masterpiece.

2007
noor_jehan
noor_jehan

this description sounds appealing. i will try it as soon as possible. i love these 'old' fragrances that connect me with the past.

2007

Jicky Pure Perfume by Guerlain, 1 oz Pure Parfum for Women
Parfum 1oz
Jicky Perfume by Guerlain - 1 oz Pure Parfum
Jicky Perfume by Guerlain - 1 oz Pure Parfum

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Jicky fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Jicky, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Jicky by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Jicky by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.