Designers » F-H » Oriental Floral « Groups

L'Heure Bleue Guerlain for women

L'Heure Bleue Guerlain for women
dislike

I have it: 1502 I had it: 352 I want it: 1689 My signature: 58

L'Heure Bleue Guerlain for women Pictures L'Heure Bleue Guerlain for women Pictures L'Heure Bleue Guerlain for women Pictures L'Heure Bleue Guerlain for women Pictures

L'Heure Bleue or 'the bluish hour' was created by Jacques Guerlain in 1912. The fragrance is velvety soft and romantic, it is a fragrance of bluish dusk and anticipation of night, before the first stars appear in the sky. The top notes are opening with spicy-sweet aniseed and fresh bergamot that gently lead to the heart of rose, carnation, tuberose, violet, and neroli. The soft and powdery floral notes are resting on a base of vanilla, Tonka bean, iris and benzoin. The perfume is mysterious, elegant and timeless. It was created by Raymond Guerlain. The bottle is shaped like the one of Mitsouko and the stopper is shaped like a hollow heart that alludes to romantic pre-war years.

Anise Coriander Neroli Bergamot Lemon

Carnation Orchid Jasmine Cloves Neroli Heliotrope Ylang-Ylang Bulgarian Rose Violet Tuberose

iris Sandalwood Musk Benzoin Vanilla Vetiver Tonka Bean

Oscar

L'Heure Bleue Fragrance Reviews

t4x3
t4x3

I missed my chance with this perfume. I should have had a bottle when I was single and wild on the streets of New Orleans. It smells like Cafe du Monde's beignet's covered in powdered sugar mixed with a blooming Garden District yard. Or a bakery next to a flower shop. One sniff and I am transported back to my grandmother's dressing table where I would sneak sniffs of her perfumed powder leaving me with a telltale white tipped nose. I would have been so much more mysterious if I had worn this scent 25 years ago instead of Chanel No. 5 and would have stood out even more from the Opium enveloped masses. But, I did not discover this scent until today when I chose it from my Perfume Masterpieces sampler. I will most definitely wear this on my next trip to my hometown. The French Quarter is an assault on the nose, but I won't notice with this veil of scent floating up from my wrists and neck.

Jerrythecat
Jerrythecat

Being a Guerlain fan and having the upmost respect for the Guerlain House, I have been waiting for months in anticipation to buy this perfume masterpiece to complement my Guerlain collection: Shalimar, Shalimar Parfum Initial and Mitsouko. I have no interest in the Guerlain male versions, as I find them too linear and lacking of mystery (maybe apart from Habit Rouge).
When I first sprayed L'Heure Bleue Eau de Parfum in a perfume shop, I straight away realised that this was a scent I had never smelled on anyone before and unique to its kind. I was immediately intrigued by the amount of notes into one spray, however heliotrope and incense were definitely the main ones I could smell, evolving into a musky floral sillage after a couple of hours. I sprayed on my skin first (2 sprays behind my ears and one on my chest) and although it developed into some discreet but visible presence reminding you that it is here, I could not decide whether I liked it or not. However my shirt kept the scent more than my skin. The second time, I decided to spray in my hair (instead of my neck) and still on my chest, and guess what?, a total different perspective: fresh, floral, musky powdery: all the notes I adore!
For those who wonder what l'Heure Bleue could represent, I would probably compare it to a walk in a beautiful gothic romantic old graveyard, or visiting a haunted house at dusk on a rainy day when grey and dark start melting into one: mystery, unseen presence but nothing agressive or wicked at all, almost like some friendly lost souls saying "thanks for visiting us": the type perfume the Lady in Black or Mina Holmwood in Dracula could possibly wear, or even those posh ladies who perished in the Titanic... That's the word, to me l'Heure Bleue is a "gothic" perfume. It is a scent for special occasions, and maybe not to wear at birthday, hen or wedding parties. Better suited to wear at a funeral as a mark of respect, or when one feels slightly melancholic or during Halloween. Not a negative comment in itself but rather a mark of respect to this absolutely unusual but unique piece of perfumery.
Not really unisex to my view, as "unisex" does not mean anything to me: you should follow your instincts and tastes. If you like something, go for it, but L'Heure Bleue is not for everybody, which is maybe why it is so special.

archivist
archivist

This review is for a 3Y01 batch code bottle, so a 2013 EDP. Guerlain reformulations have been much-discussed, and this is one perfume not mentioned in the excellent Bois de Jasmine overview of Guerlains then and now, so I was apprehensive about buying it. Here's the short version: if you wait an hour, it will smell the way you expect LHB to smell.

I believe that this iteration of L'Heure Bleue will appeal tremendously to those who may have previously experienced it (and not liked it much) in a vintage or in an unacceptable reformulation on the grounds that it smells too powdery, or like band-aids, because those notes are very much tamed in this current version. If course, that depends on what you consider "too powdery" - which is very subjective.

I find the opening of the 2013 reformualted EDP to closer to the vintage EDT than EDP. It is great deal more contemporary on the opening than usual, the iodine/bandaid note (which I actually like, tbh - I think it's the anise and carnation) is not front-and-center but pushed back into the heart. Expressed with greater clarity: the iris. The heliotrope is less rich and glowing than I'd like, as the vintage is really pretty gourmand from the almond sweetness of it, and the 2013 has mostly iris, violet, and a bit of ylang-ylang in the opening, making it feel much more like a straight-up old-school floral. After about 15 minutes the clove makes an appearance, and it is a softer clove - most of the sharp beveling of the scent comes from the somewhat sudden appearance of a peppery carnation (I kind of suspect that it's actually just white pepper, not carnation). So there is this period in the development of the scent where it's a really peppery vanilla and that goes on for some time. It is less soft and powdery than I'm used to getting from LHB, which has been a bedtime scent for me. This white pepper is not particularly restful, but it isn't sneezy either, so things could be worse.

After 20 minutes I feel like it smells the way LHB is supposed to smell, though I still find it less voluptuous than the older EDT - less powder (don't get me wrong - still quite powdery compared to most other scents popular in department stores now), less richly nostalgic on the heliotrope, less musk. It has been modernized, but it is LHB. I'm not really disappointed in it full stop, just wistful that it is no longer so soporific and relaxing. It is now rather bright and cheerful even on the drydown, which will be a disappointment to those who preferred it languid, and a pleasure to those who would like a cheerful iris/violet, as those are often used in more woody/green compilations. I feel that one would be very hard-pressed to describe this as "melancholy" but I never really felt that way about vintage LHB either. Languid, yes. Very languid. But it never seemed sad, just calm. Now it's downright cheerful, which is a little weird but probably not unwelcome for most folks.

Not unhappy to have it, probably going to keep it, hoping that the distant drydown will be more familiar, but I think paying double for vintage is probably the way to go if you already have an attachment to the scent. If you're new to it, this will be less likely to disappoint and more likely to delight. Nobody is going to make stankface at you if you're wearing it. No learning curve.

I am burying this waaaaay at the bottom because hopefully the Guerlain mafia is already tl;dr - but this is absolutely effing amazing layered with Elixir des Merveilles. If you don't hear from me for a week or more, tell the police to start looking for my body.

jt, too
jt, too

I wanted to try some of the classic Guerlain parfums, including Mitsouko, Apres L'ondee, and L'Heure Bleue. L'Heure Bleue is the first one I have tried, and I am very happy with it. I can see why this is considered a classic. It smells heavenly. Soft, fresh, clean, feminine, and yes, powdery, too. It has a fresh, fairly intense floral base. (It is often described as an "oriental" or "semi-oriental." I would not describe it as either.) Initially, it has a moderate++ silage, and after two or three hours, it wears fairly close to the skin, at least on me. It smells like the kind of parfum one wears to "dress up" for a special evening, so its name is very apropos. I like it enough to know that it will be a staple on my parfum tray for years to come. It does not smell like any other parfum I own.

Many young ladies these days do not like anything that smells powdery. They prefer parfum that smells candy sweet. L'Heure is not that kind of parfum. If you do NOT like a fairly strong powdery note to your parfum, then this is not the scent for you. However, if you do like or do not mind a powdery, make-up-E scent, then I think you will like L'Heure Bleue. This parfum makes me think of ladies in long gloves, long dresses, with sparkling jewels, and carrying embroidered silk handkerchiefs in their evening purses. Very elegant and feminine to be sure. It is alluring but not overtly "sexual," if that makes sense. If you want to at least try some of the classics, then this one is definitely one to try. You might even fall in love with it. : )

pixiecup
pixiecup

Wow, this isn't sad or melancholic at all! It's a sweet summer evening, a wedding, a happy occasion. There is a hint of nut? Definitely a cozy floral with vanilla and nut dry down. To me it's casual, happy and very wearable for day or night. Possibly not 'clean' enough for work, though. Unless you work with kids - they would love this on their teacher. She is warm and generous, fun but responsible.
It is beautiful, I do like it alot but will stick with my Shalimar :-)

mlleghoul
mlleghoul

Melancholy, elegant... pencil shavings.

KiraAR
KiraAR

L'Heure Bleue is a classic. Because of that, I desparately wanted to like it. To my great disappointment, I don't, or at least not on me. The scent of the vial was intriguing, and yes, it smelled blue. However, on my skin, it was intense, overwhelming powder, and nothing else. I do appreciate the nostalgia of the scent, since it reminds me of playing with the powders on my nana's vanity table as a child, but that isn't something I want to wear out into the world.

raw umber
raw umber

It is well over 80 degrees on this hot, unbearably humid night here by the ocean, and out of the fifty-something fragrances I own, the only one I can conceive of wearing right now is L'heure Bleue edp. In fact, I am wearing it now as I prepare for bed. One big spray on each arm. Perhaps the newest formulation is not as potent because I don't feel at all overwhelmed by the sillage.

It is powdery, layered, and nuanced like a moth-eaten, dust-colored stuffed animal that you chewed all the fur off of years ago. Now in its dilapidated state of mange, there is something almost elegant and extremely honest about it, and so comforting; it's the look of something money can't buy. The lived-in, deeply loved genuine article.

Maybe your mom scolded you saying you could have a bright shiny new My Insolence, if only you'd stop dragging that disgusting, balding stuffed animal to bed every night, but then your artist friend recognizes the true beauty in it and paints its portrait as if it were alive.

Germany
Germany

L'Heure de Blue to me is ,,, Oscar de la Renta !!!! A warm old school oriental vanilla. Nicely done. Great for evenings out , in fact it's almost identical to ESPRIT d'Oscar which for many years was one of my favourite perfumes.
Musky, powdery vanilla dry down , floral heart,what more can I say. Its beautiful , but it has its place !
The place it has in my wardrobe is for evenings, fancy occasions, family gatherings , art shows and such.
Reminds also of ,,,, shalimar, chanel 5 , premier ,,,,, in other words a true classic feel.

jksfii
jksfii

I am a relatively new Guerlain fan, Shalimar being my absolute favourite. I received a bottle of L'heure bleue the other day and I have to say it is gorgeous. I get the aniseed opening if you spray liberally but the dry down is floral, spicy, vanilla and woody. Guerlain fragrances are so complex and change from minute to minute, that they are sheer luxury to wear.

malika1979
malika1979

The first perfume of mine, oh all the memories that goes with this!!! It is so romantic and so mysterious! A radiant floral fragrance, with bits of vanilla and mostly lilacs!

mildspicej17u55l
mildspicej17u55l

No words can describe how irresistible this is. One of the many best ive smelled. It in fact gives me that just before dark vibe however, it's very airy, powdery, and light almost like a summery day scent. The smell reminds me a lot of original nivea cream (you know the stuff that comes in the blue jar) which is a good thing.

CeceliaHuynh
CeceliaHuynh

I bought this fragrance as I had a bottle of Shalimar and I was fascinated by its smell after its dry down. I thought L'Heure Bleue would be the softer, woodier version but this is not the case. It has a very different profile and it is difficult to wear. It used to be in a beautiful bottle and it was very hard to find in Australia (around 15 years ago). It's a sentimental, talcum-powdery fragrance that would probably not work well for many women. Most people disliked the perfume on me as well!

Cochlea
Cochlea

Esprit d'Oscar "belongs" to my mom, it smells lovely on her but this one- I can wear this. It is gorgeous! There is a strange medicinal quality to this but that is a good thing here! Honeyed almond powder goodness! What else is there for me to say?

brt

I had a similar experience as happycapybara. I'd tried it in cooler weather and it slept in a powdery dream on me. That was nice but where was the magic? But the warmth of summer did, indeed, break the wintry spell. The first spray starts very sweet on me. Then it goes through a candied apple period on my skin that doesn't last long. A few minutes later the masterpiece is unveiled - lilac, clove, vanilla as only Guerlain can master. It's absolutely glorious to breathe it in from my clothes after I've worn it to work. I hate to wash it out of them. It's taken me awhile to appreciate some of the Guerlains but good things come to those who wait. (This was for the EDP)

happycapybara
happycapybara

I bought my L'Heure Bleue last fall and tried it a few times over the course of the winter. I liked it, and appreciated it to a certain extent. Now, in the balmy summer weather, I am having a totally different experience- in a ridiculously good way. It is like reading a book the second time, and gathering more nuances, (for instance each time I read Jane Eyre…)
The scent is SO Beautiful. The heat is bringing out the vanilla for me and I am loving it. Gorgeous violets, sweet vanilla. I think I am falling in love <3
I must say for those who are wondering, this is not outdated or passe-old fashioned, it is lovely.

EDIT: To clarify, this review is for the EDT.

rasputin1963
rasputin1963

Some have said that the modern LHB has been "ruined", yadda-yadda-yadda.

No it hasn't: I've smelled some 1960's vintage. the modern is still wonderful.

The only differences I perceive is that the bergamot used to be somewhat bolder, and the aniseed was much more prominent in the vintage.

Do what I do: layer the modern with wee droplets of

anise extract
real bergamot oil
real sandalwood oil
real civet tincture.

Voila-- that's how the vintage smells.

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

The woodiness and powder are so huge that I can almost taste make-up when I put my nose close enough to L'Heure.

I could never hate it but I'm not sure I love it. There are many florals among the sandalwood, tonka and other million ingredients, but the dusty-powdery effect is still huge. I usually need more vanilla or bezoin to stand out among powder and make me feel like a cozy, sensual cloud--the way Dior Addict or Shalimar do.

Side note: Regarding the "old lady perfume" assertion we hear from time to time: I can smell the old lady in a Chanel No 5, a Fifth Avenue or Estee Lauder Beautiful. But I have never smelled an old lady in the magic vanilla potions that are known as vintage Guerlain. They are just too, too good. They make the formidable, alluring Dior Addict look like the grand-child of a long line of empirical beauties.

katrin1128
katrin1128

I just realized something and it's pretty mind blowing. After many years and expense of my sampling and testing so many scents, my husband finally said to me, for the first time ever, "you smell nice". After THIRTY ONE years of marriage. I was wearing L'Heure Bleue.

alpestremonte
alpestremonte

At first, I get a feeling this is going to be thick, huge and sweet, merely by handling and sniffing the bottle. Quite frightened by application, first I get powdered by iris, sweetened by anise, warmed by carnations, cloves and coriander, but sillage, although big, is not as monstrous as suggested. And then more flowers come, always warm and cozy, but also sweet and bold, creating a dense atmosphere that lasts for about four hours and keeps me wondering if I'm overwhelming people or not, since this fragrance is so different from anything else in terms of projection. Then the flowers calm down and mingle with and inviting and discreet base of vanilla, benzoin and tonka that's surprisingly part of my own skin, despite of all previous bold stages, and lasts for the rest of the day.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

This is one of the very few "classics" I still do not get to appreciate much. A soapy, beautiful, classic chypre stuffed with great powdery iris, a medicinal cloves/eugenol side, and... that vanillin/almond/marzipan feel I really can not stand. I suspect it's from fava tonka and vanillin but I am not sure as it's more complex and more cloying. It is just too much for me. I feel the similarities with Mitsouko, which instead is far more aerial, multifaceted, uncomparably more beautiful. I admit I have a "problem" with this kind of almondy/sweet aromas, and I am perhaps over-sensitive about them, so sometimes I feel "too much of it" when there's perhaps just a close hint of them... but still, I feel a ton of this sticky, thick and cloying accord from the very beginning. And I just can not help - I can not stand it. For me this accord just ruins this blend so bad, it makes it suffocating and smell "wrong" in a way I can not explain better. A sort of old-smelling, half gourmand, half medicinal feel. I don't know how to situate it exactly – I just know I feel this palpable prominent accord I do not like, despite all the efforts I make to focus on other aspects (which are great, indeed) of this scent. Luckily there's Mitsouko and Jicky!

Nirhtuc
Nirhtuc

I got a 1mL sample of the vintage parfum. First dabbing it on, I was a bit worried (like I always tend to be when trying vintage/aldehyde-type perfumes... the top notes are usually so 'in-your-face'). The floral notes smelled very intense, but I did not get the 'medicinal' note that many people have noted. It just smelled very 'old', for lack of a better word! It also reminded me a lot of the smell of small shops in Serangoon, Singapore (Little India). I did not care for the top notes very much, but I can now smell the middle notes and beginning of drydown, and it's quite lovely. I like it! This is probably one of the few classic perfumes I can enjoy wearing. I can't comment on sillage and longevity since I've only dabbed a tiny bit of the sample on myself.

moonprismpower
moonprismpower

I got to sniff a 50+ year old 1/2 full bottle parfum in the box...wow, very sweet, dusty, baby powder/thrift store vibes. Also like some kind of powdered sugar confection. Also a strange, subtle medicinal bite, but it is one of the smoothest perfumes I have ever smelled. Beautiful powdery delight and seems to age nicely.

UPDATE: Modern formula is beautiful as well. A little lighter and less rich, thick, and syrupy, but unmistakably L'Heure Bleue. Smooooth.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant of the EdP concentration. The opening is a feast to the nose and loud. I get iris, some floral and a hint of white floral. Benzoin/vanilla starts to show up and dominate the scent as time passes. It reminds me a bit of Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma. Moderate projection and longevity on my skin. Usually floral is not my thing but surprisingly I quite enjoy this.

Edee
Edee

Mango Plantation, try fragrancenet.com. I just pm'd you.
Sorry, they don't sell decants, but some fragrances have a vial size to purchase, but I have never seen a Guerlain in vial size.

Mango Plantation
Mango Plantation

I am going thru hell trying to get my nose on some of these, especially the Guerlains. Ages ago (decades?) I wore Shalimar - loved it, but my tastes changed. I so badly want to smell/try Bleue, Champs Élysées, and Après L'onde - but can't find them carried in my area. I've ordered samples aplenty - ouchie my poor wallet! I'm so tired of schilling out $$ for a teensy bit of something that doesn't quite suit. Does anyone PLEASE have any info on where to find a lovely shelf full of Guerlain in the Omaha area?

rockegg
rockegg

I wouldn't be able to say it smells like this or that for two reasons. First, it's so well blended that there isn't any one thing that jumps out at me. I can't say it's a heliotrope scent with sandalwood. No, it has become its own organic, living self. Second, there is a sense of familiarity when encountering L'Heure Bleue - for a very good reason. Other fragrances try to smell like it.

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

I love the snobs like Tania Sanchez, Luca Turin, and the like, who keep saying that they've "killed L'heure Bleue," or that "The fragrance we're smelling today is a ghost of the original."

If you want to think that, then by all means, sit in your puddle of unhappiness. Meanwhile, the rest of us will be enjoying the beautiful fragrance that L'Heure Bleue is, even today.

I'll admit, as a collector, I wasn't familiar with L'Heure Bleue until just recently. No store where I live is good enough to carry Guerlain fragrances, so I've never had the chance to just pick them up and smell them…and I refuse to pay for samples, so there's that.

I remember smelling it once, and crinkling my nose because I was confused at the composition I was smelling. It was very rich and complex, and hard to process all at once. When I found a full sized bottle of the EDP for $60 though, I had to take the plunge.

I think this is the one fragrance of my giant collection that is overwhelming to my strong nose if sprayed too much. Honestly, I could drench myself in Chanel No.5 and not hurt my nose. This one though…it's powerful.

The initial aroma is a blast (and I mean blast), of sweetened, heliotropic flowers. The iris, heliotrope, and anise complement the vanilla and benzoin in a very interesting way, and I don't think I've ever smelled a combination quite like this. It's powdery, but dark…sweet, but spicy…and I can't tell if this is warm or cool, to be honest.

As it dries down, I get this smooth, boozy woodsy smell that maintains the vanillic powderiness, giving it a sweet, doughy smell.

All the while, it sits in a rich bed of woods and flowers that give you a countless amount of things to enjoy and search for every time you wear this.

It's most definitely substantially different from everything else out there. I definitely recommend trying this one, at least to say you did. It's quite glorious. Though I would recommend spraying this sparingly, because it's incredibly strong.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

I have had my decant for months and took a chance on sampling it today. Wow!! A great floral/powder scent!! I am getting tons of iris and carnation with some vanilla and other floral notes.This is unlike any mainstream fragrance of today as it exudes class. Not in your face but a mild steady flow that stays on over 8 hours. I doubt if I buy a full bottle but this is unisex and will be worn throughout the summer. Sophistication at it's best!

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

This is a very special fragrance. I didn't get an aniseed top note on me-it was immediately a soft powdery scent, not baby powder, but dry with a hint of smokiness, almost burning peat. The dry-down is very smooth and rounded, no brash or sharp notes, but velvet and soft and oh so complex. There's a floral note like violet in there, but its not an innocent violet, this is a mature grown-up violet and incense combination. It's an old fashioned fragrance, but not old fashioned in a dotty old lady way, old fashioned in a mature, sophisticated old Empire Brideshead Revisited sort of way, if that makes sense! It is very heavy though, and rather overpowering and it stays, and stays and stays.....Use with caution and very lightly.

MeThePerson
MeThePerson

This is Such a complex fragrance and one that I do not get to sample enough, all I can say is that I hate waking up the morning the day after applying it and having to shower, knowing that washing it off will rob me of this mesmerising fragrance. So aptly named, as to smell it conjours the feeling of the gentlest, soft soft whisper of a subtly refreshing breeze towrds the very end of a beautiful summers day. The tingle of the suns warmth still coursing through my skin and the sweet odours of pollenated flowers, knowing that the promise of a day thus repeated will be heavenly in its' anticipation. A cooling velvet blanket.
Beautiful.

anna.voulgari1
anna.voulgari1

Fresh, clean, flowery and powdery.Although this scent features key notes--violet, iris, heliotrope and anise--in common with a number of other more recent perfumes, here they are presented in an unsweetened state and without other components which tend to muddy the waters somewhat. I love niche-quality notes, in general, and violet, iris, heliotrope and anise, in particular!

M75
M75

First of all, the EDP does smell totally different than the EDT I recently bought. Personally , the EDT is way more soft and delicate as the EDP really is a "slap in your face" .. I had to wash it of my wrist to get rid of the smell.

However, the EDT is a beautiful scent and I recently combined it with Shalimar EDP which is absolutely heaven!! The smoky vanilla of Shalimar combined with the powdery florals of LHB makes it very special. It's comforting and sexy at the same time.

I am always impressed by Guerlains perfums as they make you feel very unique in a good way, same as Chanel I guess but somehow even more exclusive.

Koratlover
Koratlover

I had a sample of this and it's smelled nice to me, but ever since I bought it, I hardly ever used it. It really smells different from the sample. I guess it's too floral for someone like me who mostly like spicy and woody scents but not floral ones.

I still give it a try once in a while (though I do have stopped for several months now). Maybe that I will end up liking it, who knows? I don't like the idea, even if it was a gift, having such an expensive perfume put away and not using it. It seems such a shame to me.

verdigris
verdigris

I bought decants of several Guerlain fragrances (Apres L'Ondee, Jicky, Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue) in an effort to better understand the aesthetic of this house. Mitsouko and Jicky are divine for me (reviews to follow), ALO is very pretty but barely there for me (enough said) and LHB is the last one I sampled. I must admit that Iam having a bit of a rough journey with this one.
Though the opening of LHB is nowhere near as harsh as I remember it, and the quality of the ingredients seems to be excellent, this scent goes through a phase on me that is reminiscent of a vanilla waffle cone topped with cough syrup and heliotrope. Once this rather jarring phase ends the scent moves toward something much more bearable - nice even, at certain moments - but I'm finding the trip to be somewhat more taxing than necessary and the destination somewhat less appealing than necessary in order for the fragrance to be deemed a keeper. Maybe with increased exposure the weird, sweet medicinal phase will be less bothersome but for the moment... :(

EDIT: It strikes me that perhaps the problem lies in having chosen to try the EDP/current formulation. The EDT/current formulation might be more to my liking as it seems that a number of Fragranticans have tried both and prefer the EDT. Back to TPC for another decant....

russian.red
russian.red

i don't know if it is the title, but the first thing that comes to mind when i smell this is "blue"..very dusty,powdery and melancholic.A nice perfume but for special people and occasions.

Alexir101
Alexir101

This is my one. My essence. It moves me and it states clearly 'I am here'. I only wear the eau de parfum. It is the beautiful and the inbetween. To be worn when feeling strong and needing strength. The treasure. A magnificent scent! Enjoy, indulge, love.

;-)

Funny, this lovely fragrance smells as I expected Habanita to smell. The opening is at least to me a test, will you stand it and find a soulmate on the other side or is the powerful medicinal and oldbookstore sent with a wet rosepotpuri something that will make your self rinse it of? Enforced by my husband and doughters likings I'we woren it two days now and now I know what the spell and fuss is about. This is a moodstabilisor on a pich just under your averige key, soothing and comforting without any fake promises.

danaklein
danaklein

So rare to smell such a beautiful creation, although on me it becomes very fatty too son. On paper I really appreciate the richness of this perfume.

polly golightly
polly golightly

avere più di cent'anni, e non sentirli. creato nel 1912 da sua maestà jacques guerlain, ecco un accordo d'altri tempi, complesso, insolente, femminile, classico epperò per nulla datato. il nome evoca "l'ora blu", l'attimo poco prima dell'arrivo della sera, benchè si tratti di un profumo radiantissimo e ottimista. solo una piccola evanescente nota di gelsomino ricorda la dolcezza di certe notti estive. il resto è floreale, con note di iris, eliotropo e neroli, in prima battuta. l'assestamento ricorda quanto questo gioiello sia, in verità, il fratello maggiore di mitsouko: ecco sopraggiungere quindi tonka e benzoino. di grande persistenza. nonostante sia un floreale, per me è una delle più belle creazioni di tutti i tempi fin qui sniffate

IamWoman
IamWoman

I have made several attempts to review L'heure Bleue, all to no avail. I could simply never find the words. Yesterday changed all of that. I now understand quite clearly why the fragrance is named for "the blue hour" of the evening...no longer day, but not yet night...a state of being in between, where one thing ends and another has yet to begin. It is a beguiling, poetic state where everything begins to mellow, and rushed energy is replaced by quiet introspection and possibly prayer. It's the "calm" before the fullness and dark of night sets in. If anyone has looked to the sky, as I often do, during that "blue hour" and gotten lost in its depth, its beauty, its hypnotic wonder, and its romance, then you might agree that there's only one word which truly defines that time, and this fragrance: captivating. L'heure Bleue (edp) is a refined and complex blend of dusty/powdery softness, sharp spices, and warm woods. There is also a sense of mystery to it, and an emotional element that gently wraps itself around you like dusk during the summer. This fragrance is full, yet meditative and restrained. For all of its notes, it never screams, but whispers and is still heard. L'heure Bleue, the fragrance, just as the time of evening, seems to say, "you can look, but don't touch", not pretentiously, but because its beauty and refinement seem to set it in an ethereal place just beyond reach. If you gaze into the blue hour long enough, you'll be hypnotized by that place; if you inhale L'heure Bleue, the fragrance, you'll be taken there; which takes me back to yesterday. Following lunch, my beloved husband (who repeatedly complimented my fragrance) drove us home through bitter cold, dark gray clouds, and a nasty rain/snow combination. Despite the inclement conditions, I felt unspeakably warm, cozy and tranquil; my thoughts remained calm and meditative. Today, I realized that my state of mind was no mystery. Yesterday, L'heure Bleue had, indeed, taken me to that ethereal place just beyond reach.

Lily2911
Lily2911

This is one of my HG perfumes, a true masterpiece which you need at least to try once in your lifetime. It is for me THE reference perfume which projects beautifully iris, violet and heliotrope as most prominent ingredients. In general, i prefer the EDP version for all perfumes but as Capricious Capricorn's review, i also prefer much more the EDT version. I had the EDP version and i did not like it at all, it evolved into a thick syrup, suffocating, cloying scent with my skin chemistry and i sold it finally.
So don't assume too quickly that EDP is by default better, you better test both before buying one.

The EDT on the other hand develops in an amazing way and reminds me a lot to Après L'Ondée et Vol de Nuit perfumes : all different family members but sharing the same delicate and complex balance of the famous guerlinade notes : more ethereal and "intellectual" beauties, not the lush intoxicating ones. This masterpiece inspired so many other siblings but she is still my favourite one.

lesgalaxies
lesgalaxies

Okay so I thought I was signed in, and ended up reviewing as _guest. My review is below!

Just got this baby today! Immediately spritzed and was amazed... this is nowhere near dated/strictly powder as I had read so many times! If anything, this may be difficult for others because it's floral and waxy -- there's quite a strong oily note that sits for the first 30 mins or so.

Not terribly sweet like many other fragrances being made today, which I actually appreciate now more than ever. Definitely an acquired taste, but genuinely beautiful and ageless.

Overall, I find this dusty, delicate, cool. Very floral for the first 30-45 minutes then a the soft vanilla comes through. I see this more for evening wear in warmer months. I can tell this will be a favorite ;)

Henriette

While Shalimar is a confident, wonderful lady, fully aware of her charme, with dozens of gentlemen at her knees, L'Heure Bleue is a shy, beautiful but not smashing, tender lady.
Shalimar makes men wait hours and hours;
L'Heure Bleue attends her man behind a rainy stained glass of a window. She sighs and patiently waits for her man to arrive. "I'll be back", he promised and she is waiting for him to come back in her arms.
Will he ever keep his promise? We do not know.
Certainly if she were Shalimar it would have been her the one to make (and break!) such a promise.
Shalimar is Violetta Valery, L'Heure Bleue is Mimì.
I love both Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue, both are outstanding masterpieces that time (and reformulations!) will never ruin.
Shalimar has a certain je ne sais quoi that makes me feel like a diva, while L'Heure Bleue makes me feel nostalgic, melanchonic, timid.
Jacques Guerlain is certainly a man inspired by Heaven (and maybe he ispired the Heavens too!).
Creating liquid emotions is not something everyone is capable of.
Creating emotions that more than a century later still move and inspire people is even less common.
Now shall we speak about Mitsouko?

Adelinne07
Adelinne07

OH, L'Heure Bleue! Scattered dreams that reach the sky... How could I describe the "blue miracle"? How could I evoke its beauty? L'Heure bleue was not mine, but I was truly his. He made me kneel through its beauty, embraced my soul, kissed it and gave it back to me stigmatized with his memory. Oh, how I love this perfume!

The perfume seems rather melancholic, but it is such a sweet melacholy! I got lost in its bittersweet depht.

I feel like I do not even know how to describe such perfect blended, refined notes. Iris, heliotrope, carnation and tuberose live in symbiosis, they would die one without the other and all that would remain behind would be a trail of smoke...

Resins and vanilla join and make the fragrance's composition more rounder, also adding more mistery. Towards the end I feel pretty good sandalwood among other notes that I can individualize. The composition is too homogenic, the notes blend gently, telling different stories. Rose feels very vague ... it's more of a shadow, a memory.

I would wear L'Heure Bleue on my wedding day. It's melancholic, but it's for brides who, just for a moment, close their eyes and let it leak a tear for the sake of things left behind by the time that has elapsed.

samlovefragrance
samlovefragrance

l'heure bleue! this perfume monument is really a tough one to describe and classify... so here's what i get from it; i have both edt and edp.
the eau de toilette starts with a sweet, sparkly and powdery, aniseed vanilla combo; a french dessert sprinkled with sugar powder, almond, with a strange medicinal undertone that makes it cold and un-gourmand, but it skips past the l'heure floral heart too quick to the drydown!
the eau de parfum lacks the freshness of the edt opening, but is much better structured and here you really smell the dramatic oily yellow/purple floral notes. The edp lasts longer since it has a bigger heart and drydown phase.
it lasts for days on clothing and the whiffs it gives are oh so gorgeous.
l'heure bleue is a paradox; sweet yet cold, dark and aloof, lush and restrained but always elegant. I agree with "nowsmellthis" editor; if snakes had a scent, it would be l'heure bleue. Preferably a blue snake.

current version:
sillage: moderate
longevity: moderate/long lasting

Pogomom
Pogomom

This review is for vintage Perfume extract from about 1980. I am the original owner.

L'Heure Bleue opens soft and smooth, beautiful and emotional. It is an enveloping feel rather than individual notes. The flowers, the powder, the woods and the spices unite into one unmistakable scent that it becomes. It is intoxicating and deep and mysterious. It makes you feel worldly and complex, as if just by appreciating it, you have become a bit of the history of all of the women who have worn this scent. I can pick out some of the notes if I look at the list, but none of them are predominant, and that is what makes it so wonderful.

The name, the blue hour, made in Paris in 1912, conveys sadness, as depicted by the great artists of that era, particularly Pablo Picasso. But I don't feel only sadness from this scent, I feel a deepening of emotion, as if the scent intensifies your own feelings, be it longing and desire, or desperation, or rhapsody. It puts be back into history, a full century ago,and for some reason, I cant get the image of seedy cobblestone streets in Paris, dimly lit by streetlight, and the feeling of Picasso's Blue Nude out of my head. My little bottle of L'Heure Bleau is not a challenging scent, nothing offensive or sharp, just a complex masterpiece of emotion. Everyone should have the opportunity to experience this scent at least once.

Capricious Capricorn
Capricious Capricorn

Just finished the EDT and replaced it with the EDP. I took a risk and lost. I like the EDT much better. Although felting, it's strikingly original and one who can detect separate notes (unlike me!) can probably detect them in the EDT formulation, while the EDP formulation is just plain stronger and one dimensional. The EDT's unusual and sweet notes ride on a spray of powder, and it seems like you can just reach out and capture them. The EDP is like a block; nice but simple vs. the complexity of the EDT.

Anyway, LHB is a slightly melancoly classic. Like Guerlain's Vol de Nuit. But its sadness is better than some kind of superficial happiness. I know; weird.

Strangely, I prefer Guerlain's Mitsouko in the EDP vs. EDT formulation; go figure!

HyacinthBucket
HyacinthBucket

I worked for a fragrance store in the late 80's. Prestige and blockbuster fragrances of the time like Georgio, Samsara, Obsession, Poison and Red Door were kept behind the counter while masstige fragrances were available in the aisles accessible to all. L'Heure Bleue was positioned on the bottom shelf of the first aisle under White Shoulders, Chloe and Anais Anais. It simply was not a popular target for shoplifters. In fact it wasn't popular at all. I was happy because it's unpopularity meant more free testers for me and I thought it was divine.

I can't tell you how many old ladies were horrified that their beloved L'Heure Bleue was not behind the counter with Samsara and Shalimar but on the bottom shelf of aisle 1 with just-above-drugstore status.

Funny how the perceived value of a fragrance changes as fashions come and go.

Gjilchrist
Gjilchrist

I wore L'Heure Bleue edt as a sixteen-year-old in 1984, which is amazing to me now because I was not a wise-beyond-my-years teenager. Nonetheless, I had enough sense to take my babysitting money to the Guerlain counter of my local department store and ask to smell their oldest frags. Then as now, I had era-envy and really wanted to time travel. (I also bought Jicky but never really liked it on me.)

I remember worrying at first that it was too powdery and old-fashioned for me to get away with--my friends all wore Giorgio, Anais Anais, and Lauren--but L'Heure Bleue was a big hit with high school boys. I remember a particular McDonald's cashier rhapsodizing about my scent in front of my jealous boyfriend. That association, I know, is perfectly ridiculous for such a romantic masterpiece! I now wear the current edp, which I love with the enthusiasm of that cashier. It is the nectar of the gods.

luna rebel
luna rebel

I bought the EDP version of L'Heure Bleu. It is truly a classic scent. I never thought I would love powdery fragrances, but the house of Guerlain changed my mind. L'Heure Bleue is an elegent one of a kind scent immediately recognizable as L'Heure Bleue. I am not going to try to explain the notes because everything is so well blended that I cannot pick out any main players here.

Many people say this is not a fragrance for romantic or date night ocassions, and on that I have to disagree. If I reserved fragrances for special ocassions, this one would definitely be amongst them. But for me, L'Heure is too precious to just let sit around waiting for ocassions. Although it is a classic scent, there is nothing overwhelming or extremely "perfumey" about it. It is strong and noticeable yet somehow gentle and unabrasive to the olefactory sense. This however does not make it safe. L'Heure is definietely not everyone's cup of tea.

This is certainly a quality fragrance. It projects extremely well and lasts a while on my skin. There is a rather off puting "motor oil" smell to the new formulation when first applied. This smell fades with time, but I could definitely do without this note (must be a new synthetic they use in the reformulation).

Once again, please be advised that this is definitely not a safe blind buy. But if you enjoy classic and powdery fragrances, certainly give this a try.

anhphuongha
anhphuongha

I have been wearing L'Heure Bleue nonstop recently, and I must admit to falling completely head over heels for this beauty. I disliked it upon first sniff, but I persisted and was rewarded with the most beautiful powdery iris that lingered with me for a full day. It doesn't smell dated--it is timeless, and I say this as a 21-year-old woman. L'Heure Bleue is romantic and sophisticatedly wistful, and I wear it as I await the return of spring.

majestic mammy
majestic mammy

I loved this. I find woman like it a lot. And men seem not too. This is just my experience. When I wear a perfume It will receive praise from either men or woman or both...or not at all.

unique composition.

rue_de_la_roux
rue_de_la_roux

This is one of the few perfumes that my husband notices and compliments on. He loves it, which was unexpected. I figured something like Coco Mademoiselle, Obsession or even Tabu would turn him on, but LHB does. For now.... I have the perfume de toilette and it is fantastic. No way does this smell old fashioned, it smells fresh and new to me, vibrant and sparkling. Sweet, like a gourmet French pastry mixed with iris and flowers and vanilla.

hopscotch-bunny
hopscotch-bunny

L’Heure Bleue is liquid gold in a bottle. I don’t see it is like blue color; it is the last golden gleam of sunset – rich, heavy and glorious. I wonder why the pyramid is missing Ambergris which is very prominent in the middle notes of current [EDP].

kasper01
kasper01

I always have and always will love this fragrance.

Once I can get past the nostalgic adoration of it though, this is not a perfume for everyone. Although truly beautiful, it's also a very intense scent. It will introduce you before you arrive and will linger long after you've gone. If you happen to be wearing it near anyone who doesn't also love it, heaven help them because it will definitely be the only thing they smell until well after you've part ways.

I do find it very powdery, but in a complex fashion. Nothing baby-ish about it.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Beige damascus curtains, summer twilight, smell of warm moist, sweet as old memories. Huge old trees, evening birds singing in foliage, the quiet courtyard of an art nouveau house in which I grew up ♥ EDP

Inventress
Inventress

My first sniff of L'Heure Bleue Parfum made me wonder what was so special about it. I wore it anyway to see how my perception changed. Generally, even if I like a perfume at first, on my third day of testing I am bored and sick of it. L'Heure Bleue however, on its third day, seemed to me like a masterpiece. I may not be an expert, but I see quality. L'Heure Bleue is a grand quality fragrance. What I smelled on day one was the same as day two and three, but my understanding of it changed. It smelled sparkling, yet substantial.

L'Heure Bleue is a warm, spicy, powdery floral fragrance with a woody base. The anisic topnotes sparkle into spicy heliotrope and carnation, followed by a decadent base of iris and vanilla. A perfume for the winter and autumn nights, for a grand ball, or a decadent festivity.

The parfum is luxurious. It melds with the skin. I prefer the slightly ligher eau de parfum versions and will definitely be trying L'Heure Bleue's in the future. The only caution I think that I should give is that the scent is of a different time, and clashes mightily with today's fruity floral market. Explorers should be pleased, but it may not appeal to all of the audience.

brt

LHB is a lovely fragrance but, unfortunately, on me the EDP stays very close to my skin and the powdery aspects stay at the forefront. Where Mitsouko sings arias for me LHB only whispers its florals and the spice notes are almost completely lost. I believe the fault lies with my chemistry and not with the fragrance. I will try it in warmer weather and hope that will break this wintry spell. Sigh.....

NicoleET88
NicoleET88

L'Heure Bleue is EVERYTHING I could have never expected. It...it defies words, it defies worlds...it's magical. It's haunting, it's beautiful. Not a joke. Not because of the name and the reputation. Because the scent of it called to me before I even knew what it could be.

I received several samples and decants from an amazing MUA'er and the whole package opened up with the most incredible smell. It made me think of freshly washed, white bed linens in an opulent hotel. It was unfamiliar, even a bit uncomfortable, almost sterile and chalky. It was the iris. Loads and loads of iris. Once my nose found the source though, my mind went nearly to mush. When I say this fragrance is magical, I mean I fell under some sort of spell for a moment. The spices, the sweetness, the PERFUME. THIS is what perfume is meant to be!

I can't begin to unravel the notes at this time. I need to save that for when I have a moment alone, to really let the full experience of the perfume take hold of me. For now I'll just enjoy the delicate fragrance left on my fingertips from handling the decant.

AMAZING.

perfumebox
perfumebox

Ah, L'heure Bleu... why did it take me so long to discover you?

For some reason the first time I tried it all I got was animalic incense. I couldn't understand all the hype and declarations of love. Then this year, I found it for a good deal online and decided to take the plunge. I sprayed it on the skin (instead of a paper strip) and fell in love instantly. Maybe my tastes have changed or it just blooms better on warm skin in tropical weather.

I definitely get tons of florals. Not the white, bright sweet florals, but a dry powdery iris and violet, sweet fleshy neroli, ylang ylang, and carnation, with the right amount of animalic pungency for depth. Then it evolves into a familiar thick, smoky, musky, dark vanilla; more likely than not the same vanilla referenced 10 years later in Shalimar, but without the screechy bergamot.

I agree with those who don't find this melancholic or sad. It's beautiful and plush and comforting.

Annica
Annica

Very soft and cozy, a bit old fashioned in a good way. It reminds me of Esprit d´Oscar in the drydown, but just a bit. I like it.

larali
larali

I have owned and worn L'Heure Bleue for two days now. Blue is my favorite color, and the Blue Hour is my favorite time of day. So, I thought that I could not go wrong with this perfume.

Well...I am just not sure what to say. It is indeed melancholic (not in a bad way), but where are the flowers? All I smell on my skin is a soft vetiver. So many poetic, lovely reviews, how could they be wrong? I think there is an incongruence with my skin's chemistry, sadly. I'm going to wear this, damn it, and I'm going to love it. I will also try it out on a warmer day (as today seems to be the coldest day of a very cold year) and will review again, hopefully with a more positive report.

pronose
pronose

another great scent reformulated by guerlain and destroyed by guerlain!!!!!! shame on you! what's next!!!!!!!!

xrayer
xrayer

I obtained a sample of this due to the comparisons to après L'ondee which was the first Guerlain that I fell in love with. While I don't feel that this one is like après L'ondee it is indeed a very special and remarkable fragrance. The first spray reminded me of Shalimar but that faded quickly. It is, as others have stated, strong yet gentle, old fashioned yet timeless. I doubt that any other perfume I have encountered would be considered more elegant or refined, it is not cold at all on me as others have found, rather a warm magical scent, I am trying this in summer but I know would be even more lovely in wintertime. My sample is of the EDP and it has lasted all day and I am sure I will still be able to smell it tomorrow morning. Après L'ondee is still my most beloved guerlain but I am sure L'heure Bleue wil find a place in my heart too.

alansgail
alansgail

I love wearing a scent that lasts.....this is one such scent for me. Based on all of the glowing reviews here and the mention of this beautiful fragrance in a book I just finished I did something I've NEVER done before. I decided to ask for this for Christmas without even trying a sample of it.
My husband bought me the EDP of this scent and my biggest worry wasn't whether or not I would like it but if he would like it. He's very susceptible to headaches and allergies so I have to be careful....alas, I ADORE fragrances, always have.
I have my favorites. Boucheron. Coco. Bal a Versailles, and now L'heure Bleue!
I've always adored 'powdery' scents and this beauty certainly complies.
It was an exciting moment when I opened the box and took out the gorgeous bottle........then the sniff. Heaven in a bottle is what I call this. Truly wonderful.
Of course, we're all different and what works for one may not work for another. Good thing there are so many beautiful perfumes to choose from, right?
I've always admired Guerlain for the wonderful complexity and depth of their fragrances. I would love to get my hands on Apres l'Ondee but that may prove difficult. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

kelli.marie
kelli.marie

sampled a bit of this today--- to my surprise I very much enjoy it.

The animalic element (civet? not listed.. ) of this really helps make the florals and powdery elements work on my skin. I get the iris but never overwhelming. It's feminine- but not girly-- historic but eclectic. I may just make this my first Guerlain.

ErinBerry
ErinBerry

Uggghhhh smells like my dead grandma. Gross!

I LOVE heliotrope but seriously, the other notes in this kill any enjoyment I could get from it. It must be the iris. Just smells old and gross to me.

saeglopur
saeglopur

The name says it all.

I first became intrigued by L'Heure Bleue after attending the premiere of Patrice Leconte's "A Promise", which in turn was based on Stefan Zweig's novel, "Journey into the Past". Both are set in pre-WWI Germany. Ludwig, a bright young man of modest means, becomes involved in a love triangle when he falls for his ailing master's wife, who, like him, is still young. Although the film itself is somewhat lacking, there is one particularly memorable scene where Ludwig asks Charlotte what perfume she is wearing and she replies, "L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain". Barring the ad-like way in which it was delivered, Charlotte's mentioning the perfume here would not have been anachronistic, as the narrative unfolds in that particular, grey-blue time where the war was just beginning to become a reality -- the time Jacques Guerlain crafted this beauty. Like Zweig, he is a master of the understated but forceful: L'Heure Bleue carries an echo of nostalgia for interrupted youth, for long-distance love, for forgotten dreams ... it's the scent of a frozen past. (Incidentally, the theatre in which I watched "A Promise" just celebrated its 100th anniversary, making it just a year younger than L'Heure Bleue.)

With that said, this perfume is all about the powder. It's soft, understated, and decidedly feminine, reminding me of something a young lady might have sprayed into a letter back when such things were fashionable. The soft flowers are almost indistinguishable, but the violet pierces through. I also get the occasional waft of iris, as well as an undercurrent of civet, but perhaps that's just me. Whatever it is, it's pure poetry: Guerlain knew exactly what he wanted to evoke, and he picked the right ingredients for it.

Now I'll add my own personal experience with L'Heure Bleue. The first time I smelled it on a tester strip, it brought me back to my childhood. I couldn't place why, so I set it aside for a few hours and gave it another sniff later that evening. Suddenly it hit me: hotel soap. That's what it reminded me of.

When I was growing up, my parents would take us to four-star hotels to celebrate our birthdays or their anniversary. We weren't exactly rich and we didn't travel a lot, so it was a luxury we'd look forward to every year. And each time there would be waiting for us a complete set of toiletries, including the scalloped, initialed soap that this perfume now reminds me of.

M. Guerlain, I am honoured to have the chance to smell such beauty. Thank you for a masterpiece that allows us to smell the past. This is a perfume for a lifetime. Breathe deeply ... and remember.

Owlie
Owlie

I have little to add to the elegant rhapsodies of others who have written before me, except that when I wear this, I do definitely feel haunted by romantic war era ghosts.

A soulful and beautiful fragrance, and it has become one of my favourites.

incrediblemelk
incrediblemelk

Love at first scent! It's so subtle: rather than punching you in the face with strident top
notes it wraps you in a soft cashmere blanket. It really does evoke the mysterious quality of twilit gardens with its cool, powdery iris. I love Prada's Infusion d'Iris, but that feels brash compared to this shy, almost melancholic fragrance. If it has a flaw it's that on my skin, like the magical hour it evokes, it fades away too quickly.

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

I love this!
I am relatively new to guerlain fragrances, however I have been having a love affair with violets of late, and Insolence EDP was recommended to me as something I might like. I duly paid a visit to the local guerlain counter and asked to sample insolence - the friendly sales assistant also sprayed a little l'heure bleue onto a blotter for me, which I popped in my pocket and forgot about. I fell instantly in love with insolence buying a bottle a few days later.
Anyway, that was my introduction to geurlain. After I got home that first day I kept catching wafts of the most beautiful smell. I realised it was the l'heure bleue and I ended up tucking it into my pillowcase that night.
Returning to the counter the following week I sprayed a little onto my skin, and the sales assistant gave me a spritz of the pure parfum on my fore arm. I must have looked insane as I walked home, arm to my nose inhaling deeply! How I wish I had purchased that 8ml bottle of pure delight and beauty.
Back to the EDT. I took the plunge and purchased a 93ml refil edt bottle (far better value than the beautiful 50ml bottle - but as my perfumes are kept in a cool dark cupboard in their boxes it doesn't matter to me.)
I am in love with this. I detect the violet quite strongly, yet it is layered so beautifully. For me it evokes beauty, sophistication, elegance...I worried that as a not quite 30 y/o it would be too mature for me but I love this so much. It is somehow both light yet strong, but never overpowering. I find it incredibly feminine, it makes me feel I should be perfectly made up and coifferred, wearing a vintage dress and smoking a sobranie in a black cigarette holder, however I enjoy wearing it whenever wherever so it is usually juxtaposed with doc martens and more punk wear!
For me the best way to describe this scent is elgant, feminine, beautiful, to me it smells floral (mainly violet for me which I love) mixed with soft spicey woods, and powders.
It may sound strange but imagine a cosmetic bag filled with high end face powders, pencil shavings and violets - that is l'heure bleue for me.
I find similarities with this perfume and mitsuoko, also there is something about this that reminds me a little of Crabtree and Evelyns Nantucket Briar - perhaps the floral spicy powder?
Longevity is great on me - 3-4 sprays of edt after a shower and a walk through once dressed and I still smell amazing 12 hours later. Sillage seems moderate - people close by say they can smell it but no one has passed out when I enter the room!
I love it!

la_clope
la_clope

l'heure bleue, un parfum exceptionel, evocateur, envoûtant, inoubliable, mystérieux, profond, mélancolique, poétique et pleine d'émotion. l'un des plus beaux parfum au monde.

nbailey9
nbailey9

Given that I have yet to meet a Guarlain fragrance that I don't love, I finally ordered a sample of this one and gave it a shot. Flowers, flowers, flowers! Don't get me wrong, I love flowers, but this one, unlike their others, does not really represent any aspects of my personality. Shalimar is my choice when I'm feeling a little cheeky (or when I'm going out where I know people will be smoking), Mitsouko is my go-to for high-powered meetings and winter hikes, Jicky would be for when I'm feeling adventurous if it lasted more than an hour on me, and if I could afford it I'd wear Vol De Nuit for my slightly more brooding moods. L'Heure Bleue? I don't think I ever feel that romantic! Granted, when I tried it out I couldn't stop smelling it, but it was like smelling a sophisticated, ultra-feminine woman who's at least a decade older than me as she walks through a garden at night, waiting for a secret meeting with a new suitor. It's potent stuff and lovely, but the iris in it just ages the frag for me. Though they're my favorite flower, I think their scent is best on the slightly older crowd. Maybe I'll come back to this one when I'm in my 50s or 60s, but for now I'm early 30s and I'll stick with the beautiful Guarlains I already have.

Note: This is a review of the new EDT. I cannot speak for the original parfum, as I'm sure it's infinitely different.

greydove
greydove

I can't get over how weird this perfume is! I wrote a review about a year ago relating it to the collective melancholia of WW1 juxtaposed against better memories of the comforts of home, but later realized it was created two years before the start of the war! Yet, I still can't shake the feeling that this perfume is paying homage to death, but not in a morbid way if that makes sense, but in a very holy and spiritual way. I've worn it a number of times now and three aspects stand out to me the most: The smell of cold, claylike earth, fresh baked bread, and then something dusty and almost decayed. The upside down heart on the top of the iconic Baccarat bottle, and that of Mitsouko, is always referred to as a heart, but to me could just as well be a spade, a tool used for digging graves. This combination of bread, earth and flesh instantly puts me in mind of the Eucharist. Taken this way, I have a new understanding about this perfume which appears to reference the death of Christ, or more accurately, the death of the Sun. A number of scholars have recognized Christ as a solar deity, and many parallels can be drawn between Christ and the ancient Egyptian sun god Ra. When the sun set, ancient Egyptians believed the sun god had died, descending to the underworld, and when he rose again, he was reborn or resurrected. The Blue Hour then, is really an homage to the death of the sun, that moment when it has just disappeared below the cusp of the horizon, but still giving off its faint glow of the fading of the light of day. At the same time, the perfume draws its parallel between this death of the light and the death of Christ through the miracle of transubstantiation when the body of the god is transformed into bread. Looked at from a broader perspective, the "death" of the sun could also signify the winter solstice which resulted in elaborate rituals in almost all human communities to fend off starvation and death until the sun returned to its northernmost point in the sky, bringing warmth and new life again. The rituals were designed to honor the death of the sun, in order to ensure its return. Perhaps this is why people have such strong emotional reactions to this perfume that go beyond the everyday into something universally human and ancient.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

Just beautiful. The olfactory equivalent of Van Gogh's 'Starry Night Over the Rhone.'

The evening chill captured in crisp opening notes of violet and anise. The gentleman offers the lady his arm, a delicate perfume of powder and rose water rising from her furs as she settles against him. On the far bank, light spills from windows in thick amber sheets and thin wisps of smoke drift across the water, illuminated by the pale glow of distant stars.

Roseblight
Roseblight

I'm still very new to perfume, but this was a revelation for me. It opens in that very old-school Guerlain way, so initally I was like "Oh ... OK? I guess." Within 20-30 minutes though I had come around so far, I couldn't stop inhaling. People say you've found your One True Perfume when you strike on something that makes you feel like the best version of yourself; I didn't think that was possible but no, here it is. It's magical.

Socialite
Socialite

I first came across this scent in 1989 when I was 16 and visiting my Aunt and Uncle. He had bought her a bottle for her birthday and I tried it when she wasn't looking and became addicted to it - for the 2 weeks I was visiting I sprayed it on secretly every day. I love the vanilla notes most but the whole scent and its many layers matches me perfectly. Whenever I smell it on someone else my instant thought is , you have style and class and know what a great scent is.

gabriel.villa
gabriel.villa

One of the most beautiful creations in the world. This, in my opinion, is L'Heure Bleue. So classy, so aristocratic, so poetic... it was love at the first sniff, indeed.

L'Heure Bleue was created by Jacques Guerlain in 1912 because he was inspired by the blue hour, moment when it's not longer day but it's not night yet either. He was so inspired that he might have felt he could just express that in a perfume, so that's what he did.

Besides, L'Heure Bleue was adopted by Jacques Guerlain's wife as her signature scent, so we could assume that L'Heure Bleue is a perfume really close to Jacques Guerlain's heart.

Talking about the fragrance, L'Heure Bleue was created still in the Belle Époque, before the Roaring 20s, and that means many things. Ladies in the Titanic could have used the fragrance. Ladies waiting for their fiancés to return back from the First World War could have used the fragrance too. As I said before, the perfume is so classy and aristocratic, it's just divine! It's a polite perfume, I'm pretty sure it would not offend anyone, it's really sophisticated... if I had to pick just one perfume up to wear it for the rest of my life, I'm totally sure L'Heure Bleue could easily be one of them.

Talking about the scent, it's a beautiful mix of sweet spices, powdery and soft flowers and powdery and sweet resins. When I first spray it I get a huge cloud of anise. Wow, it's so feminine, it's so wonderful... the anise gets mixed with the coriander, really fresh here, and the neroli, again, really fresh. The anise smells almost fruity, almost cherry like, and that goes wonderfully with the coriander and the neroli. Then in the heart there is this powdery and soft bouquet, it's so heavenly pleasant! The velvety and sweet heliotrope makes the anise note keep going in the fragrance with that cherry tone, and here there is also a lipstick thing to the fragrance, together with the beautiful powderyness and the floral richness... there is some dry tone, I think it comes from orchid, and all the flowers seem to appear, but together. Also in the heart, carnation and cloves! I think them two smell beautiful together, adding the spicy tone. Some cinamoon touch, perhaps... violet, jasmine and rose... and in the base, vanilla, tonka bean, sandalwood, musk, benzoin... all of them beautifully mixed. There is that animalic tone, too, it's really musky. But it's clean at the same time. Gosh, it's too complex to explain!

Everything perfect about L'Heure Bleue. It's gentle, it's romantic, it's the best! Longevity is amazing, sillage is amazing, it stays around me all the time, it's on my skin all the time, and people seem to like it a lot when I wear it. L'Heure Bleue is one of those timeless perfumes that keeps cativating people 100 years after its creation. I'm sure many people wouldn't think it's too old.

A trully masterpiece. Brilliant! Thank you Jacques Guerlain for having created this beautiful thing that stays really close to my heart too.

evesoho
evesoho

There are so many wonderful reviews that it's hard to find a reason to add mine.

L'Heure Bleue parfum and L'Heure Bleue Edp have the same fragrance at heart, but the parfum lacks the noticeable topnotes of citrus that sing out from the Edp. The parfum, fittingly, has more sillage, and the basenotes are stronger. It also lasts longer than the Edp. They both dry down to a silken powder on me. The Edp is rather a gentle fragrance for one so dark, or "bluish".

I see the L'HB as bluish, and greenish, purple-ish, and blackish. There is no question that this scent evokes romance... past, present, or future... L'HB is so smooth that it's soothing, to me, in a way that says, "it's alright that this night will die and with it your love, because something that has lived with so much *life* will truly live forever." Blue is the colour of eternity, after all.

L'HB reminds me of a woman painted by John Singer Sargent, a sublime English novel like 'The French Lieutenant's Woman' or 'Wuthering Heights', rain on the rooftops, branches outlined against the dim sky. It feels herbal and fresh despite the fact that it's a soft scent ambitiously brewed into a great work of art.

To me, L'HB isn't too close to Apres L'Ondee to warrant having both perfumes on hand. There are no standout violets in L'HB and the anise is much tamer, too. Apres L'Ondee Edt is light and sweet! L'HB doesn't have that kind of sweetness that gives AL'O it's charm. I'd be more than happy to have both.

I prefer the L'HB parfum slightly over the Edp (and that little bottle is divine!), but I'd still purchase the Edp without a second thought. I'd be devastated not to be adding L'HB to my wardrobe one day.

liiva
liiva

Mmm, such a nice, cosy, floral, soft, powdery and romantic scent! I am very surprised! Because I was waiting something strong and oldish, but it is very wearable!

RozaMoisevna
RozaMoisevna

A very beautiful, powdery, "old-world" scent that brings you back to Paris de la Belle Epoque...The magic thing about this perfume is that when you smell it for the first time, it feels familiar even if none of your relatives has ever worn it...

MBKITTYKAT
MBKITTYKAT

Very classy note. Wears down during the day, but a subtle scent lasts all day.
Don't use too much.
Not a "sweet" young smell. More for the mature and classy women.

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

WOW, POPULAR FRAGRANCE! Just look at all the reviews. I have a bottle of this, but every time I bring her out to dance, she walks away scowling at me :( I won't part with the bottle, because someday maybe she will want to dance. I don't know why but this and Jicky just do not like me :( Sadness. However, I have found other Guerlain that take me dancing all night long....all night...all night....

valenceis
valenceis

I think I have lost all concept of "old lady" in perfume.

To me, L'Heure Bleue maybe smells like something your grandmother would wear. But only because she has exquisite taste. I like to keep in mind this perfume, being released in 1912, could have easily been considered "vintage" by the time grandma even got her hands on it. There is something enduring and classical about it's language, which isn't for everyone (what is?) but this strikes me as a gorgeous masterpiece, especially for it's age.

In my opinion, modern perfumery often just does not give care to the potential of certain genres. The "powder" genre these days, for example. As a toilet item it's become all but totally obsolete, thus making the idea of things that smell like it seem antiquated. It takes a while to understand the nuances. This fragrance is certainly soft and pillowy, marshmallow-like almost, but not without distinction; it's imbued with astringent notes offset with a certain "creamy" quality that makes it feel more alert. Not necessarily only for a "lady", don't be deceived by the moodiness of the iris. Definitely for a woman who is wide awake and knows exactly what she's doing as the night closes in. More experienced among the syrupy gourmands and sticky white florals playing dress-up in too big heels today. This perfume commands a natural poise, which is rare to find in anyone in our society, sure. But what happens behind closed doors could make you wobbly for a couple days. It is hard to find a perfume that does such a thing so well.

jlee
jlee

After years of wearing nothing because of asthma, I have discovered I can wear really good perfumes that stay close to the skin. Excitement! I have been searching for a signature scent to celebrate my new found freedom. I wanted a scent that was floral with an edge, not sweet, not too powdery, very feminine and sexy as hell. In the last month I have tested about 20 samples. After hours on this site, I decided Guerlain L'Heure Bleue had to be the one I have been waiting for. The past week has been spent waiting for it to arrive with more anticipation than a mail delivery of scent should warrant. I have been less breathless with anticipation over several first dates. Plus, I so wanted to answer when asked what fragrance I was wearing, "Why L'Heure Bleue of course". It arrived today. I sprayed it lightly on pulse points and waited. First I got a strong medicinal smell, then a floral powder, finally the smell of hotel soap in a 1970's motel. This is the scent I was left with. My heart is broken. What good is breath when there is nothing beautiful to breathe? My search continues....

bluebellinthewoods
bluebellinthewoods

For me this is stunning. I am just not quite woman enough to wear this one and get away with it.

mrsriley
mrsriley

i am only able to write this review because of a generous fragrantican..thankyou EK!..so,here we go,what can I say.this fragrance is just soft and smooth and comforting..the name is a perfect description of what's in this bottle....iris everywhere most definitely,but theres more to this complex scent..and tbh I can't quite put my finger on it..when I sniff my skin theres something quite pungent and off putting...but I don't think this is meant to be sniffed deeply close up..the point of this scent is waft around you and leave a gentle trail behind you.an aura if you like..it's gentle in the breeze,or at midnight as the name suggest....I do understand where the tag "old lady" comes from which I expect is the iris,but who cares,it's you who defines a perfume not the other way round,!!...it is very slightly the same as chanel no5 in the dry down,that floral creamy smell that it has.. I will definitely be getting a full bottle of this and will enjoy wafting around all over the place..i will also say this is a nice sleepy fragrance for the bedroom..romantic,sexy and lush...xx

stormyla
stormyla

It is mind boggling to me how a fragrance that I love beyond description in parfum could be so unappealing in EDP or EDT. I've tried various vintages of L'huere bleue EDP and EDT and find all of them distasteful,yet I adore the parfum no matter what the vintage.

STRAG
STRAG

A must have! even if you don't like the scent! This house is the most authentic one among all "mainstream" perfume houses, I wonder how long it takes until they will have to reformulate this one too...

ashandasphodel
ashandasphodel

On me, this is a powdery heliotrope bomb. I barely smell anything else. I like it, but not that much. I definitely get the "Old Hollywood" comparisons, but not the "mystery". If you are into powdery white florals, this one's for you.

Nickie
Nickie

I will just say this...

I don't wear it often - my Fragrance Timeline will show that; I have to be in the right mood. However, when I am, L'Heure Bleue eclipses all other fragrances in existance, including my beloved signature scent.

Caramelle
Caramelle

All my favourite notes in a perfume! Powder,heliotrope,vanilla and iris! Sometimes it smells like a delicious pastry,sometimes like a gentle bouquet of powdery florals.
If I had a custom made scent it would smell like L'Heure Bleue.:-)
The vintage parfum had a wonderful ambregris note,but the current parfum is still incredibly beautiful.

Waterqueene
Waterqueene

I received this perfume as a long-requested gift from my sister for Christmas in 2009.

The year before, in August of 2008, I lost a job I loved due to downsizing and the economy. In November of 2008 I met the love of my life (at the age of 41). Let's call him B. We spent a glorious Christmas together but I had a premonition that our happiness would be short-lived. I was right. During the summer of 2009 we parted company due to his family problems. I waited all during the fall for him to come back to me but he did not.

Then that Christmas, L'Heure Bleue.

This perfume is tied to many other changes and losses in my life but I will not bore you with the details. It is the scent of memories, melancholy, and regret. It is comforting. I haven't worn it that much over the last four years because I associated it with the loss of my boyfriend.

Four months ago my beloved B. died suddenly. He dropped dead of a heart attack at a job site. I heard the news on a Saturday morning from a mutual friend. In typical selfish fashion, B. deprived all the women who loved him of the solace of sitting by his bedside in the hospital. He was just ...gone. I now wear L'Heure Bleue in his honor, to remember him, and to mourn him all over again every single day.

That is, until after the blue hour ... when we will be reunited.

This perfume is all that. Try it.

Love to you all, K.

wallywinthrop

I've written more than one review for this but I'm writing this one so it will be seen at the top. Today I tested the vintage parfum of L'Heure Bleue and I want to add my thoughts - there is definitely an animalic edge gone from today's version. The vintage smelled smokier and overall spicier. But I also want to state that this does not mean its present incarnation is not absolutely gorgeous. I'm sorry that other members lost the version they had previously loved and identified with, but this is still very much a beauty. It's a bit softer and sweeter than in times past, with a touch more powder. Nevertheless I really believe they have done a valiant and lovely job in reformulating this to be as close as possible. Buy new bottles without fear!

The beginning and end stages of L'Heure Bleu work very well with my chemistry. The middle, for some odd reason, smells like old people's medicine.
The opening is a bit sharp, but sweet. I definitely detect citrus, heliotrope and benzoin. The next stage is, as I said above, oddly medicinal. Clove/carnation and anise. Like Vicks VapoRub and cough syrup. Dry down is rooty iris, tonka and lemon.
It's quite interesting to observe how this fragrance develops over time, but that middle stage is just so off putting to me. I don't think I'll ever desire a full bottle of L'Heure Bleu.

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

When I was pregnant, I developed a hyper-sensitive sense of smell, and all perfumes to me smelled like old alcohol with stale fragrance. Then I made friends with a girl who was both great fun and totally beautiful: an English rose who knew the finishing school rules of elegance, and it was the first time that a person's perfume didn't turn my stomach. I asked her what she was wearing and she told me it was a Guerlain. I rushed off to the nearest Guerlain counter and, directed skilfully by the sales assistant, I found l'Heure Bleue. I knew that this was real perfume: complex, interesting, beautiful.
For me it is perfect. I don't care if it's old and I smell like the Queen - frankly, she's got taste - and I don't care that it's a powdery floral. It's the cold seduction I love.
Although I have heard lots about the vintage formulae, I enjoy the new EDT. The new EDP had less of the softness for me, and I did not appreciate it so much. Would love to try the parfum some day...

LauraB425
LauraB425

SixSidedTippy - your review makes me so sad. I finally splurged and ordered a 2.5-ounce bottle of the EDP and am waiting anxiously for it to arrive via Fed Ex (not today/maybe tomorrow). Of course, it is the newest version in the triple gold box, and I'm sure that is the same decant that I had tested recently as well (and adored, by the way). Don't know if I'll ever be able to afford one of the vintage bottles, but will keep my eyes open for deals, as I really would like to experience this beauty in all of it's intended loveliness. Thank you for all of the helpful information. For now I will enjoy the only LHB that I've been fortunate to know so far, and I must say that, whatever has been lost, she is still *quite* the beauty . . . so sad, those reformulations. So sad.
Thanks again! xo

Ttirem3
Ttirem3

At first it's like a mighty dragon--hot ornery, scaly, overpowering but then it settles into a sweet lizard--lion to lamb as its powdery soft sent snuggles into my skin...I have both an original bottle and a new bottle--they are different but both beautiful....

SixSidedTippy
SixSidedTippy

This is only my second review and I apologize for the length of it but I have read all the reviews of this amazing fragrance and would like to offer the following.

I remember the first time I ever came across L'Heure Bleue. I was at J. L. Hudson and was making my way towards exiting the store through the doors by the fragrance department. On the way out I passed the Guerlain section and saw the counter display with all the Guerlain bottles lined up so majestically. I stopped and began taking a sniff one by one-Mitsouko, Jicky, Shalimar-no, not for me. Then I picked up that bottle of L'Heure Bleue and that was the end of it. Instant love. I was infatuated. I purchased two one-ounce bottles of eau de toilette on the spot. Mind you, this was quite an expenditure for a 19 year-old, full-time college student that only had a part-time job making a little over $2.50 an hour. That was back in 1975 and I have never come across another fragrance as evocative as L'Heure Bleue. Oh, there have been other fragrances that I liked, even loved and purchased but L'Heure Bleue is the holy grail of fragrances for me. I went on to purchase many more bottles of L'Heure Bleue in cologne, eau de toilette, deodorant, eau de parfum, bath oil and parfum/extrait through the years and have blissfully used all of them. About three months ago, I purchased a bottle of eau de parfum in the updated tri-tone gold box and upon opening that box and taking out the bottle I was immediately struck by the color of the liquid. It's a very pale straw color and all my others were a much darker, richer golden-amber hue. I spritzed and was totally dismayed and, at the same time, mortified. Jacques Guerlain is spinning in his grave. This was not the same scent that I had enjoyed and loved for 38 years.

As stated above, I have read all the reviews here and I believe that one of the issues with some of them is that they are based on the current reformulated version rather than the previous rendition or, better yet, a vintage formula. If I had smelled the current version on my first exposure to it, I wouldn't have given it a second look either and would have just kept on walking. My quest for an answer led me to Fragrantica and some other fragrance review sites and I became painfully aware that because of IFRA regulations or the acquisition of Guerlain by LVHM or possibly a combination of both, the formula of L'Heure Bleue has been cheapened down and is now merely a faint shadow of its former self. There is a lot missing from this current formula and I do mean a whole lot missing. As a result of this research I have been on a mission for the past two months snatching up any and all L'Heure Bleue that I can find, in any formulation, that is packaged in the white and black box and if the price is right, I will settle for the black and gold boxed items. The difference is just hard to fathom and believe. The current eau de parfum lacks the complex magic, richness and depth of the vintage and has less sillage and longevity than a bottle of cologne that I have from the white and black box. It sickens me that this is what has become of such a legendary and beautiful fragrance.

There is nothing more that I can add that hasn't already been said about the notes or phases of this fragrance and it will leave a different impression on each individual but I would like to say this, if you can, try an older or vintage rendition and then see what your opinion is. You just might be amazed.

Kiku
Kiku

"L'Heure Bleue" -- the blue hour. Sounds so sad and melancholy. But this is actually a happy scent: warm, soft, balmy and hauntingly romantic. It is that moment just as the summer sun settles below the horizon and night comes on, mysterious yet comforting. The blend of flowers and spices is timeless. As classic as a perfume can get. You must have it.

lialu
lialu

Unmistakable. Unique. Unforgettable. I just adore L'heure bleue. What IS it about those Guerlain perfumes? Amazing quality and sillage. A real classic fragrance, rather complex but worth waiting for. Like all guerlains it takes some time to get to know, but boy is it worth it!!!

Birdiegirl
Birdiegirl

Leheure blue is a wonderful classy scent, cannot get enough of.I do not understand why people say it smells like mildew,nor does it smell like medicine.To me it is a clean sweet smell of soap.I do not smell violet at all.I bought a pure violet perfume from a speciality shop iin Cuba.It has a very distinct scent,really nice on its own.it is definitely not in this Guerlain perfume.I own the eau de parfume and when I am home by myself I love to load it on or wear it in my yard. And let the breeze carry it to my nose.Strange that my husband never cares one way or another about perfume nor is he the romantic type.I wonder how many other men are just the same.I would love to hear your comments regarding that.I feel blessed by God that he has given us so many scents to enjoy.Blessed that my husband lets me have so many expensive parfumss.Birdiegirl.

batkitty
batkitty

The beauty of a Strauss waltz, the chill of twilight arriving on a clear April night, the warmth of candlelight while rain taps on the window, the comfort of snuggling in my grandmother's arms as a child--all combine in L'Heure Bleue. Profound depths of carnation, iris, neroli, and powder-sweet heliotrope combine with the elegant reserve of sandalwood, vanilla, spice, and tonka to create the ultimate intersection of wistful chill and velvety warmth. There is nothing in the world like this perfume. It wears for hours like a veil, perfectly and achingly beautiful.

Axum
Axum

I ordered a decant of l'Heure bleue with high expectations, and they were met: this is an incredibly evocative and beautifully blended fragrance.

It does indeed take me to a twilit, meditative place. Unfortunately, that place, with its cold clay and iris ikebana - a feature at family funerals - is incredibly sad.

For me l'Heure bleue evokes terrible loss and unresolvable longing. So while I admire it greatly, I cannot bring myself to wear it.

samer007
samer007

what a surprise! if i had smelled l'heure bleue blindfolded, i would have never guessed it is the melancholic guerlain scent! not melancholic in anyway...
feminine, alluring, poetic, dreamy. i smell beautiful iris, anise, benzoin/ vanilla and a lot of violet, even reminds me of another guerlain, insolence!
it's powderiness gives it a classic aura, but aside that it's the most modern smelling classic guerlain. i love it but wouldnt really wear it, it crosses the imaginary boundary towards too feminine(a boundary i dont care for) but nevertheless.
4+ stars.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

L'Heure Bleue is the bottled version of Van Gogh's Starry Night.

When he painted Starry Night, Van Gogh had already been institutionalized, He knew he would probably never achieve the success he wanted and he knew he was going crazy but couldn't do anything to stop it. Yet, his life and colors and relationships were more vivid; exactly like when you lose something, and it suddenly dawns on you how much you loved it. Van Gogh kept seeking refuge and love and acceptance for his art from the world, but instead only received minimal comfort from his family. That is exactly how this perfume makes me feel.

When the world is too much, too painful, too full of sorrows and I need kindness, empathy, warmth and acceptance, I wear L'Heure Bleue. It's more than a perfume, it's a magical elixir of comfort and solace in difficult times. I have quite a few Guerlain scents, but this one has a special room in the mansion of my heart.

Arleners
Arleners

LHB is a rainy afternoon, a cold winter morning, an attic, warm chair and book, a favorite cardigan, and possibly a favorite nook of the house when one was 8 years old. Subtly floral, powdery, wears close to the skin on me, romantic, and very light-- yet it has a unique royal presence that I cannot find on any other fragrance.

KJS88
KJS88

I don't get sweet and pretty with this perfume; it is kinda aloof, and I like that, but it calls to mind the sort of cold beauty of a powerful noblewoman or a dowager behind the Throne, or of a perfect porcelein doll-looking Geisha or fair skinned Chinese womman in tradition gowns, pasted white, cherry red lips, penned in eyebrows, who speaks perfect English. She doesn't speak often, but when she does, she stops you in your tracks: you didn't expect magic of words to work quite like that.

jht4060
jht4060

Guerlain L'Heure Bleue is an enduring classic that remains current for the same reason some enduring classic novels do - it evokes a mood, a sensibility, an aura, that is timeless. This is not a light happy scent, nor is it a dark obsessive scent. Somehow, and I am not sure how and have given up trying to figure it, L'Heure Bleue evokes a pensive wistful mood. Sometimes a sweet memory drifts by, other times a sense of longing or gentle melancholy, always there is something comforting, as if everything will turn out well in the end. On balance it is happy, but in the way you might imagine when you are reviewing a life fully lived when on your death bed. The name is descriptive genius.

Very few scents coax such romantic notions from me; in fact only a few so far. Though an analyst at heart, I refuse to tease apart their components for fear of banishing their magic.

If you are interested in the pensive wistful tone (I don't know how else to describe it and I can't pin down its composition) of L'Heure Bleue, the only other perfume I have smelled that evokes it is Parfums de Nicolai Sacrebleu Intense. Sacrebleu Intense is fruitier and less floral than L'Heure Bleue and to my nose has that same haunting mood. Stated components that they share include carnation, tuberose, jasmine, patchouli, tonka, and Peru balsam.

tgutie1027
tgutie1027

I wanted so badly to love this perfume but it was unbearable on me! Fortunately Sephora let me return it. It literally smelled like Desitin (the diaper rash cream) on me for the first hour or so. It tapered down into a nice powdery scent, but I could not tolerate that first hour.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

To simplify, the initial spray smells something akin to bug spray but still inviting. I could not understand why it is highly regarded by perfumistas. My scent strip is more than five hours old now and it soft carnation, vanilla and vetiver. I cannot stop envisioning 40's glamour with red lipstick, makeup powder and silk stockings. Very different. The one thing I do share with perfumistas is the melancholy effect this gives. This is not for everyone. It takes a certain woman to pull this off (I'm not one of them right now). Maybe in a few years + wisdom, I can join the elite women who are sophisticated enough to wear this genius. Perhaps it is different on my skin so I shall try next time.

One spray on scent strip.
Sillage: less than a foot
Longevity: 4 hours then it changes to a powdery and soft fragrance
Rating: first 4 hours = 1/5, afterwards = 2/5

Update: The air must have been mixed with other perfume strips in my closet. When my daughter and I sniffed this strip, we both went yum! It is softly elegant just like the ladies of the time. To other perfumistas: I now get it. I want my own bottle!
Rating changed to 5/5

madhurimadhara
madhurimadhara

A viola, night voiced, calls into past but nothing comes.
A woman alone rows across the lake. Her life is intact, but what she thought could never be taken has been taken. - Carolyn Forche (Borrowed from the poem 'Blue Hour').

L'Heure Bleue is not just a perfume, its an olfactory experience of longing, melancholy and mostly frozen history.
Its beauty is so evocative, I find it almost blasphemous to dissect out its composition. The great Bengali troubadour Tagore once said 'My poems and my creations are not for your careful criticism, it is for your enjoyment.'
So I lay back and enjoy L'Heure Bleue's eternal promise of budding iris which never quite blossoms, its subtle nuances of warm spices (aniseed?). L’Heure Bleue’s tuberose does not smell sultry, but mentholated, its orange blossoms withered as you smell them, turning from fresh into waxen flowers. Its an perpetual promise of alternate reality frozen in time.

On a different note, L'Heure Bleue has an all compassing silage on me and garners rave compliments whenever I wear it. Today an old lady in the bus stop actually asked me what I am wearing, to which I had answer in my butchered Deutsche. Guess what! She was elated to know that today's generation (that's me) still adores this perfume which she grew up knowing as her mom's signature! Guess even a century's dust and damage can not change the allure of its timeless enigma.

(I have a Eau d Parfum from the vintage composition, still searching for the Parfum concentrate).

jessamine
jessamine

I just got my EDT in the mail, I was dying to smell this perfume, and that's what I could afford. At first I smelled the benzoine, it smelled like bug spray and I thought I'd made a mistake. But like any fragrance of substance, the best was yet to come. Net I smelled pastel, powdery candy that made me think of those Necco candies. I can smell the iris for sure. I know it's supposed to smell like Paris at dusk, but I think of spring afternoons in the American south where I've lived all my life. This is how I imagine Zelda Fitzgerald smelled when she lived in Montgomery, AL. It makes me think of the movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It smells older than any time anyone now remembers, which doesn't make it "old lady" to me. I've smelled three Guerlain fragrance, Samsara, which is too masculine, Shalimar, which I have and love, is sexier. I wish I had the EDP, one day... I'll wear this fragrance when I want to feel sweet, pretty, and melancholy.

miss mills
miss mills

Never have I smelt anything like this before and I am quite sure that I never will again. L'Heure Bleu is (to me) what a fragrant masterpiece smells like. I have a small sample decant of the original formula. (I can't tick like, dislike or love - this is more an experience than a smell)

On first opening, a syrupy embalmed floral fume possessed my senses and all I could think of was the word funereal.

I am struck by an overwhelming feeling of grief and the despair of a woman who has lost her soul's deepest love. Melancholic doesn't begin to describe it for me, it's as if each time I open the lid, I almost anticipate hearing a woman wailing in utter despair. I know this review is indulgent of me and possibly very pretentious but this description is exactly how L'Heure Bleu FEELS for me - and I have to describe it as I feel it!

I picture a tall woman in a long, smoky dark navy coloured dress, just wandering the streets at dusk, her mind struggles, the chaotic, intense, insular world of pain that grief holds, desperately clinging to the thinnest thread of life's veins, feeling that her own life was taken when her love died. I wonder, was this her child, her lover, her friend who made her eyes hollow and dark, emptied of life? (There's pale flesh and a pulse still lingers beneath the dark dress, sexual, not sensual, grasping to feel connected to her physical self once more through the act which only takes her further from it).

Not sure when or how I could ever wear this but I will savour the sample I have, just to reverently look through her eyes from time to time and feel the dark beauty in her pain.

mrjohn12
mrjohn12

This perfume is tragic. There is a suppression in it, as if it wants to bloom but it can't. It's as if it's frozen in time, beautiful, unable to age; and as you smell your wrist, you hope it has had its chance to bloom, but then you are relieved to find that it has not. It's still frozen in that beautiful, suppressed, melancholy.

I feel like I would not wear this out. This perfume suits a rainy day where you can shut off the TV, log off your computer, spray this on, and smell the story unfold. It reminds me of the Italian movie "Life is Beautiful." A tear-wrenching love story you never forget and always keep close to your heart. It's unique. It's lonely. It's perfect.

courant
courant

Help me understand. When I spray myself with the wee beastie that is LHB I get the rubber tyre that Bvlgari Black is supposed to exude, or extrude, or whatever diesel on the tracks smells like. After an hour or so I begin to sniff my wrist and wonder what sort of burnouts got me here. It's nice but there is melancholia lurking nearby. Is LHB the 'little match girl' of perfumery? The cold descending, the jaw aching pity of it all, the match striking and burning out, then another, then another. That's what I think of...alongside the Velveteen Rabbit, the saddest, most tearjearking story of them all. I've never owned a bottle, can't do it. Just can't.

supergirl83221
supergirl83221

There is something about LHB that is alluring, romantic yet sad at the same time. The name "Blue Hour" is indeed fitting for this fragrance as it is poetic and captures that time of the day between the sunset and just before the night falls... the peaceful, introspective atmosphere where light and shadows are in great complimenting contrast.

I fell in love with LHB, not because it is one of the classics, nor it smells nothing like the ones I had before... LHB is probably one of the perfumes that is delicately complex and beautiful, as it exactly captures the mood and scenario at dusk, while eliciting the feelings true to that time of day, peaceful yet partly melancholic and dramatic.

Say it opens a bit "plasticy and mothballs", but this mixed reviews are truly understandable as LHB is polarizing. As it settles down, the bouquet of violet, heliotrope, iris and carnation yields this soft, powdery aura. The flowers here are not crisp, fresh and bright. They are muted and abstract. The roses are almost close to decaying and the carnation was in a way debased. You will probably think that it smells unenticing, but alas! It' s just the opposite because it is plain beautiful. Period.

The florals ebb to almost a powdery haze in the drydown. There flowers are still detectable, but they are retreated behind the shadows and a more prominent iris comes forth. I loved the perfume more when it reached this phase because spices and incense are more distinct than the florals. The longevity is very good and it lasted a good 9 hours on my skin. The projection is also good.

L´heure Bleue is a lot of many things... antique books stored in the attic, an ornate victorian dresser accessorized with vintage ivory combs and jewellery boxes, a lone traveller with his distressed leather suitcase wandering the streets of old Paris, that Lady in a tasteful black dress exuding a stature of opulence, mystery and melancholy as she watches the twilight, the day fading away or post-wedding Ms. Havisham sitting in her dark, desserted parlor waiting for her fiance to come back. So to speak, it has become one of my favorites from the House of Guerlain. A masterpiece and a must try for any perfume lover. Yes, there will be will be haters, some will learn to appreciate it the more they get accustomed to its allure, but i am pretty sure that no one can deny the fact that it is a timeless piece of art worth preserving.

Rate: 4.9 / 5

Babslady
Babslady

I have tried to like this fragrance for forty years. I adore the name! L'Heure Bleue, I so want to love you. I have tried and will keep on trying. Maybe next time ...

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

What can one say that's not yet said about a perfume whose name casts a big shadow and is on the same shelf as Mitsouko, Jicky, Vol de Nuit, Liu & Shalimar? Classics that helped define our taste in perfume. Countless of people grew up with these scents as the epitome of french perfumery...Long before Chanel made a name for herself Guerlain was selling these beauties that still are coveted by reputation alone. Complicated classics that might confuse, nay even repel the modern perfume palate.

So, what do I think of this much discussed and reviewed L’Heure Bleue? Well, after reading some reviews I came across sentences like: "it smells sad" - "It smells dusty like an old attic" et cetera. I understand these statements, or, more accurately, I understand what evokes them. L’Heure Bleue is very unusual and very polarising, I understand both ends of the spectrum that people feel/smell in it.

To a nose that has never smelled L’Heure Bleue before and might not have smelled anything like it...it might come as an olfactory shock! Moth balls? Hospital hallways that just got cleaned with an antiseptic? Dusty rooms? Oh, dear! Poor LHB, I make her sound as though I feel the same...I don't; I love her because she is unique, unforgiving ever-changing and represents her era so impressively well.

But she also reminds me of a lot of things that I love: Antique book-shops where a lady just walked thought the aisles perusing books as she permeated the air with a light floral perfume that mingled with the stories in the books...paper and florals, and I inhale deeply thinking of all the adventures, dramas and love stories locked up in these books that are waiting to be released by the reader.
I smell the ancient Roman-Greco wings of the British Museum where the mummies are wrapped in linen that was scented with precious oils and adorned long ago with wilted and dried flowers....Do they really still permeate any floral scent? Perhaps not, perhaps it is in my imagination...I mingled the images of the dried floral wreaths and oil amphoras with the slightly dusty smell of old civilisations that fascinated me my whole life.

LHB is not just something you can discern and explain by listing the notes and trying to see which ones your nose can pick up. No, to me LHB is a mood that captures you --for good or bad-- you must smell LHB and see what trip it takes your senses & imagination on. It’s a time-machine in a bottle that might transport some of us to their (great)grandmothers bedroom where she always had fresh flowers on her vanity next to her luxurious body powder with big fluffy puff. Or, to a Cathedral where you walked in on a sunny day...it’s warm and bright outside, a big contrast with the cool, solemn mood of the inside where the smell of beeswax candles, polished pews, hymn books and the flowers on the altar mingle into an image of all the prayers that were spoken.

LHB is kaleidoscope of nostalgia is every drop, and nostalgia conjures up many different moods. I love LHB because I have always been fascinate with history, old books & antiques. But what I love most is that LHB makes me travel back to many nostalgic places from my own past...it mirrors the nostalgia of your own life too......It does that, you see.

Even when one loves/likes LHB it's a scent you have to be in the mood for; I wear it as such...To bed when I am reading before sleep. To the office...when I know its going to be a busy day, because it's such a calming scent to me. On an autumnal walk with the dog...or to a party - It’s all up to the wearer.

LHB is special and most certainly a required taste. Don't be sad if she isn't for your chemistry/olfactory. Not all people like to revel in the dust of time. Just make sure you sniff/test her at least once in your life...Because she is a scent every Perfumista should have experienced.

Silage is: I could embrace you forever and keep you safe - Longevity is: One century of memories and countless flowers.

Berlynn
Berlynn

This is a review of 2 formulations of EDP at once; the current formulation and one from 1990.

The current EDP: Pleasantly soft and powdery floral that is very soothing to the senses. there is so much depth in this fragrance that it is impossible to identify everything in this composition at once.

The vintage formulation: There is something bittersweet in this perfume I can't quite put my finger on that is non-existent in the current formulation. Perhaps it's the citrus and bergamot mingling with the powdery florals, but I just found it odd that there was a tangy sort of scent lingering amongst the flowers here but not in the other until much later in the dry down.
Both are extremely beautiful and elegant. A must try for any floral fan.

flying_colours
flying_colours

I have this in the EDT concentration. I should probably have shelled out for the EDP, come to think of it, because I like my perfumes strong, but the EDT is still quite potent. I don't think it smells sad so much as mysterious. With all the imagery surrounding it, it makes me think of wandering around some old European city at dusk. Hanging out in dark, smoky, haunted bars. It reminds me of flowers, powder, and incense, and I get an animalic note after a minute or two of spraying. This is a quiet perfume, not in terms of sillage but in the aura it projects. It smells like an old perfume, but not in an old lady way. It smells like olden times. I would love to pick up the EDP, or even the parfum should I be so lucky, to compare. But the EDT is quite lovely, and subtle enough for everyday wear.

Justyna
Justyna

Not sad at all, just plainly delicious! Makes me think of limoncello, vanilla biscuits or cheesecake. Due to this gourmand twist L'HB seems to emanate rather yellow than blue aura, very comforting and even uplifting. If Angels smell, they smell of Guerlain...

ailishlu
ailishlu

Oh no what has happened to this? I remember trying it on a long time ago and thinking this is IT. It was so exquisite but at the time too expensive for my purse. I tried it out again on Saturday and thought this is truly beautiful. The top notes are truly amazing and so unusual. I have this on my want list and I decided at that moment that I would go ahead and buy it. Only about twenty minutes in and something weird happened. It went all Shalimar Perfume Initial on me! It went all leathery and then I got that awful pledge note. Nevertheless, not quite as toxic as in the Shalimar. I'm in a dilemma. If it fades so quickly to this, it's not worth buying for me. I'm so sad. I'll probably give another try before I decide.

thecapn
thecapn

This perfume is definitely evocative, I think that's one thing we've all covered :) For me, it makes me think of being in someone's old, dusty, forgotten attic in a smaller, but lively, French town. The house itself is quaint, pretty, romantic in a sweet, girly way, and old, but certainly not what you'd call haute or luxurious by any means. It's sunny, a little old-fashioned, and makes you feel highly nostalgic. The attic is something else though, it's dusky, even in broad daylight, as very little light shines into it, dusty, and looks as if hasn't been touched in decades, and it hasn't. Both the attic and the rest of the house are much like my grandmother's house in Poland, this one is just a bit more glamorous and well, French, but just a little.The mood in there is much different, melancholy, yes, but also with a sense of wonder/curiosity about the past, as it's a small piece of history itself. And a dark, dusty attic it is, but upon a closer look you find that it's filled with treasures. Paintings, books, newspapers, jewelry from another era. A fascinating mix of dusty, dated, melancholy and rich, wondrous beauty. That is L'heure Bleu.

Migalex
Migalex

L´heure bleue smells to me very much of violets first and later of benzoin. I do like the top and the heart which do remind me a bit of Anais Anais. The dry down smells to me of benzoine, in a very chemical way. It seems that at Guerlain they did, in the past, really like this type of synthetical scent which I find it in several of their scents, including Shalimar, Vol de nuit and Nahema, and apparently due to the way they used thise balsams and resins.

freddinos
freddinos

On my skin, a chestnut accord is very prominent and blended with lots of suffocating, dry powder. Not for me I'm afraid...

Chocobaby
Chocobaby

I bought a bottle based on the raving reviews. At the time,I also tried on Vol de Nuit at the Guerlain boutique because of the story behind it, but find it is too woody/ chypre for me. It also conveys a sense of maturity which I don't feel I have yet. In comparison, L'heure Bleu is softer and sweeter. Very powdery and complex. There are layer upon layer of notes that keeps surfacing every minute I sniff it. When I put it on, I get this sensation of being in a very old building, ready poetry written on old musty vellum. I feel ancient and I wasn't sure that's what I want my fragrance to convey. I tried it again a few times and it started to grow on me. To me it is a quiet fragrance, I wear it when I am alone and in a contemplative mood. I wear it when I read historic novels where it can transport me to faraway times and places. This is not a fragrance to make me happy and joyful, but it brings a sense of longing and melancholy. I have to be comfortable in my own skin to wear it. Although it is not something I would wear everyday and call my signature scent, it is in my regular rotation.

Kiera79
Kiera79

I don't get it. What is everyone else smelling that I'm not? This smells like soap to me. Antibacterial soap. Yuck.

Edit: I tried this again and it still smells like soap to me, but this time I'm getting more floral. I like it a little more now, but still not for me.

Amour, Michele
Amour, Michele

L'Heure Bleue is a true bohemian at heart. From the descriptions from other reviews describing it as old closet smell and sad, I thought this would be something unwearable; something to only enjoy in private. Not so! I'd wear this any time I want to appear absolutely unforgettably alluring. I think a perfume like this works in any period of time and language of seduction is not limited to a certain era. To me, this is velvet dress (black or dark dark blue) with sumptuous embroidery and tassels worn with a little bit of come-hither edge. If I were to have tried this perfume in the 20s, I would have thought of a moody flapper. Now that we're more advanced along the time line, I think of Jane Birkin or Bianca Jagger.

I don't feel that this is a fuddy-duddy grandma kind of maudlin pretty perfume. It has a vibe that beneath the soft velvet there is some dangerous flesh lying there. I can also see why Jacques Guerlain said that this is more for blondes whereas Mitsouko is for brunettes. It has a sense of quiet seductiveness about it and a slightly knowing but innocent quality.

The iris is absolutely beautiful and it only verges on being powdery; it instead creates a haze of iris smoke. The anise gives it that nostalgic feeling but it does not make it dated. The drydown is Guerlinade through and through. I feel like I'm in some exclusive lounge all dark with velvet curtains and sumptuous pillows everywhere, laden with history. I can certainly see why Kate Moss wore this perfume. Despite her personal life that's less than flattering, it fits her bohemian rock-chic aesthetic very well. As you can see my review is a jumble-- it certainly is an evocative perfume to say the least, and that's very rare. I want to add that if it's difficult for you to find L'heure Bleue for testing, I recommend smelling the Nag Champa incense as it is a good representation of general scent of L'Heure Bleue. I recommend Satya Sai Baba.

smellhunt
smellhunt

Too much have already been said about this masterpiece and the only reason I write this review is that I think I have something more to add.
For me this works in cold weather only, actually the colder the better, heat and humidity put it of in a bad way. I find that the pure perfume (the Extract) is more delicate, has more longevity and less silage than the EDP, but it is more alluring too.
Though many reviewers before me, describe it as a "sad" scent, it makes me smile!!!
I won't even try to describe the notes, but rather the way I think of it... pleasant, mysterious,magical, sophisticated, comforting, delightable... every single time I wear this I feel like all these qualities surround me like an aura...
So just try it, you may be surprised!!!

wallywinthrop

Ugh I have to write a second review just to add how very very deeply in love with this I am! I don't really understand how or why this perfume captured me so much, but my first sniff could only remark upon how aged and musty it was to me and now I am plowing through my bottle faster than any of my other perfumes. I need the heliotrope, dusty violets and vanilla about me as much as possible. I cannot stress enough, you must give this one time to win your affections and seduce you - I imagine Rose Dewitt Bukater wearing this while falling in love with Jack Dawson, and dabbing it on forever after to remember their passion and her promise to him.

mysticgoose
mysticgoose

The previous reviews are splendid. The perfume to wear to write poems and to feel deeply. To wear it is always be ready to open Champagne, just taking the foil off, and on the verge of your eyes filling with tears. Wistful in the very best sense. I must go put it on and fill my fountain pen. Is it too early for Champagne? The sweetest and dearest of my fragrances.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I have finally received my l'HB in the EAU DEODORANTE version and I wanted to let everybody know how it works on the skin. I realize it is not technically a perfume... but I thought you would like to hear about it, since it is so much more affordable than EdT or EdP.

At first, let me tell you that there are 2 different bottles for this. One that looks like the traditional glass perfume bottle with the gorgeous cap and a newer one which comes in a tallish white plastic bottle. I have the glass one that comes in the older boxes.

I was very surprised to see that the ED version is almost as strong as the EdT and very similar in scent, if not as deep and complex. I was expecting a VERY diluted version of l'HB, to be sprayed heavily on the body on hotter days. But, this is true to the original scent of the EdT. It is only a little weaker than the EdT and does not have as much development. It reminds you that it's there, but you don't get the full experience.

Overall I am very satisfied with this ED and I would recommend it to people who want to surround themselves in an aura of l'HB, without making too much of a statement. Maybe for some of us of the newer generation who want to experience this gem, but are not quite ready to go "all out". I know I wasn't.... not yet.

po
po

Being a member of fragrantica I have read so many things about L'heure bleue! But I couldn't imagine how this legendary perfume described as melancholic and comforting, created over a century ago would smell...
Today I came across a bottle for the first time and almost jumped on it!
Oh, I know I'm not capable to review, just wanted to share the impression I got.
L'heure bleue brings in mind a glorious mansion that has been abandoned for many decades.
I can smell the heavy baroque wooden furniture and luxurious fabrics, all covered with thick layers of dust, the humidity, the darkness, the shadows, even the absence of life, but nothing human. At last I get some traces of smoke and imagine all the above burst into flames...
I can't say if I like it or not but definitely made me think.

aveilhe
aveilhe

This is the Belle Epoche version of Lolita Lempicka! Loads of tonka, iris, and a pinch of anise: a little strange, a little gourmand, a little spicy, a little smoky/powdery, very warm and...slightly suffocating.

It feels very pre-modern: a last hurrah before Chanel (and others) modernized perfumery forever. There is no lightness in L'heure Bleu, no freshness, no optimism...no youthfulness.

It is enveloping, but it emanates a musty, stale kind of warmth -- it conjures up a stuffy room, pale Victorian women in mourning, black veils, flowers wilting in vases, tabletops covered in dust -- Ms. Havisham!!

It's evocative, to say the least, but absolutely unwearable for me.

rottannie
rottannie

The crown perfumery's Malabar is so similar to L'heure Bleue (to my nose). Im curious....does anyone else get this?

wallywinthrop

I was never a Guerlain girl till this year. I received a bottle of the current L'Heure Bleue EDP for my 25th birthday, after obtaining Mitsouko which was my first Guerlain scent. At first, L'Heure Bleue was a very subdued, aged powder scent to my mind, suitable more as a museum piece in my collection than anything I'd really wear.

AT FIRST, that's what it was.

More wearings quickly seduced me. I would put it on the evenings to enjoy the almondy softness at bedtime, and then one night I put it on to wear publicly in defiance of perceived conventions because I simply felt I needed the comfort. And the bouquet of heliotrope, lilac, violet and the gourmand base took my breath away as I kept sniffing it. This rapidly turns to orange blossoms with whipped cream on my skin. It is quite simply a beautiful, spicy, sweet floral blend. There's a reason this one is so enduring. You need to live with it before you decide how you feel about it. Despite its name and connotation, it is not sad or melancholy to me - actually quite the opposite, it's what I reach for when I need comfort and the sweetness of an embrace.

paradisolucky
paradisolucky

I think personally the original is the best. It's much deeper and more elegant smelling. It smells of pure notes of mourning flowers which it symbolizes without having that rough synthetic smell that so many perfumes now carry. I think there should also be separate listings for reformulated perfumes. That way one person smelling a perfume could "know" if what they were smelling was the way it was originally made and intended to smell or if it is just an updated version made to either be more cost effective or play to a "bubblegum" crowd. (Like Givenchy listings for the Mythiques).

damask04
damask04

This has been my all time favourite perfume for many years .warm mysterious but never heavy ascent for the twilight hours .It has a lingering sillage and clings to my scarves and collars . An older perfume but not one for old ladies it is wistful and dreamy and deeply complex an absolute gem of a fragrance.

antfarm
antfarm

This is one of the only perfumes that made me feel like I was wearing a liquified version of myself, and it made me giddy. It's so very alive, yet hints at dead, forgotten memories being re-enacted. It's haunting and morose and smells a bit like an antique store with a garden outside, and a loaf of freshly baked bread.

Everything about it is so full of character and history. It's like a museum in a bottle. This is a scent for women like myself, who feel that they should have been born in a different era, and would be happier wearing dainty hats in public.

Note: I love this but can't always wear it. Sometimes it is the only thing that will do. Other times it is too salty and doughy like drowning in Bisquick.

Shtefitza
Shtefitza

Beautifully complex, powdery, woodsy, musky, very comforting... It is such a pleasure discovering its layers... vetyver and sandal carry this almost gourmand perfume and protect if from being "too mellow". Very nice... I would call it an evening perfume. But also daytime! (In the case you want to be remdinded of your sensuality...). I love the guerlinade in it, it makes it so classic. Still it is so understated, and so powerful... :)
This could be "an introductory perfume" to someone who is "afraid" of wearing Shalimar. Old style strong Guerlain, and not overwhelming. I am buying it for my mom. Her first Guerlain, she usually likes flowery perfumes, and this is me nudging her into more complex fragrances. I hope she'll like it. Just in case I bought a Pamplelune for her too... :D

dbrii24
dbrii24

This is a VIBRANTLY beautiful fragrance. To be honest, I would rather wear it around the house instead of out in public so I could voraciously sniff my wrist without the stares of concerned strangers. This is stunning!

L'Heure Bleue is timeless, elegant and sheer quality. It starts out soapy but give it time to blossom into a dreamy, powdery floral, accented with mild vanilla. If you use the term (which I can't stand) "old lady," you probably wont be able to appreciate this classic gem. It is other worldly gorgeous! Legendary.

Lanlisa
Lanlisa

This perfume along with, Jicky, Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, and Nahema all smell similar. Medicinal. (Nahema slight rose scent to it however) Shalimar Initial and original Shalimar are my favorites. I do not care for these and disappointed they smell so similar. Purchased samples of each. I am surprised they are so beloved but I prefer florals and many women do not. Very glad I did not blind buy any of these as I had been tempted to do. Ps.... Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker reminds me of these also. Peppery, medicinal, the gold liquid listerine, not the minty one.

MadameCherie
MadameCherie

Scroll down to read Assiduosity's review as L'Heure Bleue is one of the most emotion invoking perfums I've ever worn and Assiduosity beautifully captures those emotions and puts them into words. I couldn't, so I was happy someone was able to. My advice, go out and buy yourself some because once you experience this fragrance you won't be able to live without L'Heure Bleue in your life.

RedLady
RedLady

I get a black and white image of a woman sitting in her night robes by her window, in pre-war Paris, inhaling her cigarette and wondering why her lover hasnt returned.
Melancholy and beautifully romantic, no wonder its been going strong for 100 years.
Very soft, powdery, floral, from another time definitely.

nicolevivi
nicolevivi

this perfuem brought back memories. though in only 21, this perfume makes me feel like i have lived thousand of years.

LufuFaerydae
LufuFaerydae

*deep inhale....holds 5-4-3-2-1....exhale.---> :')
words cant fully express. I want to snuggle you L'Heure Bleue, breathing you in on every lonely night; nothing else matters if we have each other. This is not a "sad" perfume....this is a "something is just too beautiful, i am speechless and will just cry over my trembling smile" perfume. breathtaking, comforting, loving, the most beautiful moment. If you do not like L'Heure Bleue then you don't get it and then please don't attempt to because then your'e thinking about it. This is not one to think about...this is one you must feel.

stephanie.hamrick
stephanie.hamrick

This is powder and spice, melancholy but captivating. A lot of people have commented on the floral notes, but on me, any time a fragrance is the least bit spicy, any floral notes just disappear. Usually I run from a spicy note, because my skin blasts them, but L'heure Bleue is beautiful, not loud or obnoxious in the least. There's a reason this one has stood the test of time. I don't even mind the slightly medicinal opening. It smells like reading a letter found in an attic, sent to a lover now long dead.

lovingthealien

I had been lamenting my purchase of the current L'Heure Bleue EDP for some time. It didn't smell like it should - over the soft earthiness was a loud floral element that just wasn't right. Well, over time it has settled into the fragrance I know and love. I don't know if Guerlain would ship out a fragrance that hasn't properly macerated, but it seems to be the case here. It's definitely a little worse than vintage but my god is it ever still gorgeous. Nothing today can compare, niche or otherwise.

Divine Blue
Divine Blue

after my shower, while skin still damp I put on the body lotion over my arms and legs. There is a distinctly medicinal smell, but I know it will settle after a few minutes. I spray the EDP on my neck, inside elbow and opposite wrist. While it is rather a strange brew in the early stages, it fuses into an unworldy cloud of sheer celestial grandiosity. 12 hours later it is so magnificent and soft, anyone near you can't stop inhaling you. divine...

scentsforme
scentsforme

Can anyone tell me were to order this, I would like to try it, wanted the real stuff and which is better EDT or EDP?
please…:P

P. S. thanks

Bobby in Alaska
Bobby in Alaska

Powdery iris and rose, soft, woody anice. Complex, instantly recognizable and sweetly nostalgic. The blue hour when the bright sun is gone, the pause before the pleasures of the evening are contemplated. This one's for you, Conifer Lover!

Rotha
Rotha

Simply heaven in a bottle. Once I would have risen in the morning and wondered ' which perfume shall I wear today ?'......now if I put something else on I wish it was l'heure bleue .

RkrChk
RkrChk

The vintage version of this fragrance is reminiscent of the emotion one gets when meeting someone special who doesn't call when one wishes he'd call...It's that mix of excitement, bewilderment, and aching melancholy that new love brings...

The heliotrope, benzoin and anise are the notes that are showing up the strongest on my skin...The iris note softly dusts my skin like a tender little kiss that tantalizes and bewitches -- it's a reminder of that yearning for a bit more closeness from a special someone...

L'Heure Bleue is the longing sigh that we subconsciously emit when we don't have the courage to say what we really want to say during the first stages of romance...

b.w.1185
b.w.1185

To me it smells like a mixture of woody notes & baby powder. It smells kind of mature to me but I like it.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

That Jacques Guerlain should have known in 1912 that the sun was about to set on the bright days of the Edwardian age is inconceivable.

Yet, that his masterwork L'heure bleue, literally 'The Blue Hour' captures the faltering twilight between the bright and hopeful dawn of the twentieth century and the dark, dark night of the carnage of The Great War is unquestionable.

There is an opening of improvised antibacterials, of coriander and anise long known for their medicinal qualities.

What follows is not floral but floricultural. Not a bouquet or even wreath but a field, fields of flowers a presentiment of Flanders' poppies.

And then powder, but it's more like fine fragrant dust. The dust that settles on carefully stored away mourning clothes. Clothes that will see more use in the years ahead, in response to unspeakable loss, than is right.

It's that dusty preservative smell; bezoin, clove, vanilla, a solitary scent of certainty that will come through familiarity to breed comfort rather than contempt, that makes L'heure bleue' the ultimate smell of solace.

Just like grief, and the consoling memories of the departed's life, this is an emotion that sits as easily yet uncomfortably on men and women, young and old.

Conifer lover
Conifer lover

My review is simply a carbon copy of Lovingthealien's review. He said, and I quote,

"This is probably the most wearable fragrance in existence. God is this ever gorgeous."

That sums it up quite nicely, there's nothing left to say.

I don't get medicine at all with the Vintage version., its just amazingly beautiful. Bottom Line.

sirop de Liège
sirop de Liège

After reading the reviews I went to a ParisXL shop to try the tester, it was very powdery, sweet and spicy and I liked it very much. I went back to try it again a second time and decided to buy it. At home I opened the box and tried the bottle I had just bought, it smelled very different, much stronger, medicine-like and almost like a desinfectant. It seems the tester I tried was the EDT and what I ended up buying the EDP.
This is an expensive mistake! The EDP smells terrible on me, it is so strong and I can not detect any sweet powdery vanilla or floral notes, just a pungent stench.

xsheer
xsheer

According to me this smells very chemical at first. I don't know what it is, but it's just too sharp and it reminds me of something old ladies would wear. Nothing gentle, just overwhelming florals who punched you in the face.

easybeauty.via giolitti
easybeauty.via giolitti

I really love this fragrance, is charming and clean as the others classic frangrance as chanel n°5 - l'air du temp nina ricci! Charming and clean a masterpiece!

mylancome

If you're not live in Asia, it's not the end of the world. For US, try neimanmarcus.com

For Europe, try escentual.com

stacey.donovan
stacey.donovan

This is one of my very favorites, and the opening is frankly horrible, like some kind of old-timey medicated powder. It turns into a great powdery, incense-y floral on my skin that keeps shifting, like evening shadows. Several hours later I get a smell like pecan pie. Obviously some sorcery is involved. I do not find it at all melancholy, but it's dreamy and reflective. I am a poet and I can't imagine a better perfume to wear when courting the Muse. Because it's so soft and floral until the last drydown, I particularly enjoy wearing it in the spring. ...But I wish I had a bottle right now!

Frenchie-Loveday

this is one of the perfumes that I use to spray my fans with. So if anywhere hot the(such as the theatre or concert) I just get out my fan to cool myself down and at the same time a beautiful warm smell wafts around. Its so very different to the harsh synthetic modern perfumes. Quite delicious smell nothing made today quite touches it.

kamisis
kamisis

magnifique heure bleue comme je t'aime,un départ encaustique,cire d'abeille,puis comme une étole de soie qui vous caresse la peau apparaît un poudré magique merveilleux ensorcelant,chic. quand je le porte je me sens tellement femme et en même temps étonnamment si triste,'heure bleue est un parfum profond, mystérieux,chaleureux.

MagsP
MagsP

Soft, Soft, Soft. There and not there, but confusing. I don't know if I like it or not. Perhaps like is not the right word. So much has been written, and I adore the classics but perhaps it's time for me to join the 21st century. Please someone, find me something.

ver jaina
ver jaina

just received a sample of this (thanks beaker90!) at first sniff this is a hella flower powder power! reminds me of that oldtime talcum powder used by those Chinese princess in the past (suddenly the 'bedak amoi' image came to mind. hence why i dont mind the powdery-ness in this sample.
only one dip is enough to transform me into those little fair princesses or opera actresses in their elaborated makeup & set up ;)

aschiffm
aschiffm

This fragrance is very hard to describe because nothing smells like it and it is very unique. Which i think is the reason people speak of this legend of a perfume so abstractly.

It has that strong starchy earthy iris note and heaps of powder. HEAPS OF POWDER. like a dusty old vanity mixed with vanilla doused baby powder. It smells a bit herby to me too- slightly masculine even, but just glazing so slightly on that masculine line just giving the powder a little mystery. The mystery also comes from that beautiful soft spicy anise and corriander yum!

It does feel "blue" , maybe like more of a "lilac pale purple" smell. It's pretty, this is one of those scents men fall head over heels for...it's got that vanilla too that keeps you smelling delicious and addicting. My boyfriend said it smelled like bubblegum! Ha

mylancome

I'm so lucky for get to buy the last piece of this perfume at KLCC shopping mall. The weather now is kinda hot and i took a spray test, smells like Nirmala Molinard, that gourmand, fresh baked cookie smell. But my mother said it's the best smelling perfume in my entire perfumes collection.

Try it again after bath, this time in an air conditioned room. I get the spirits of Shalimar's vanilla, Mitsouko's oakmoss, and some Aldehyde that a member here said like mixture of Chanel Eau Premiere and the Classic Miss Dior. So I think it might be the Vol De Nuit's aldehyde.

L'heure Bleue was one of The Queen of UK's perfume. Can imagine her majesty wearing this with her thick fur coat, diamond earrings, with a shiny white gown, looking at her pictures which were taken 40 years ago.

Now wearing it to bed listen to music, As Time Goes By from an old movie Casablanca. Thinking myself wearing fine lace lingerie covered with fine silk robe, kissing my wonderful husband/fiance for thank you for all his hard work, providing me expensive gifts, fine house with fine furniture and beautiful music.

P.S.: Shalimar is another perfume fits for the above occasion. Ladies, wear it and give a wonderful night to your spouse.

L'heure Bleue and Insolence do have some similarity.

vdxl
vdxl

Tested the EDT and EDP on my skin: I love the heliotrope note,but it smells aged, but in the context of a man it smells nice. It must have inspired tons of other fragrances, including a new favorite: Kiss Me Tender-Nicolai ( much better than this one), but unfortunately, no care has been invested in the reformulation of the great classic. A shame. Maybe Guerlain and the greedy Bernard Arnault- he should not be allowed to make decisions in fragrance industry- preferred to launch thin exclusives: like the elixirs charnels, that I would love to have in my chocolate mousse or candy or pastry, but not in the fragrance I wear. It is still solid, but not for a Guerlain name. And some of its successors did beat the classic...

A. Rose123
A. Rose123

It's early December in New England. It hasn’t yet snowed and the air is at the strange point between cool balminess and dryness, that period which happens before the first snowfall. The ground is cold, but still damp – it hasn’t frozen yet – so there’s a hint of earthiness mixed with the sterile coolness of the air. The night sky is clear and full of stars and the air is fresh, but a smoggy sweetness lingers from the day. It’s slightly metallic and crisp, with faint hints of wood smoke mixing with creamy-sweet dryer sheets; people are heating their homes and washing their clothes, in my neighborhood. I am in elementary school, probably around eight years old. I’m bundled-up, in hat, coat, scarf and mittens, to walk down the hill for Holiday craft night at my school with my brothers and sister. My scarf smells like clean dust, the smell of fabric and fiber that’s been stored in wooden shelves for months. I look-up at the night sky in anticipation and wonder (that never goes away, with stars – that sense of wonder) and I head towards the bright lights and warmth of my school building.

When I get inside, I smell the benzoin sweetness of cleaning fluid on the floors and walls and the lingering scent of ink for carbon printing. Evening lights are on, warming hints of dust on them and heating the wooden stage in the cafeteria/auditorium. Inside, music is playing and tables are covered with construction paper, creamy-minty pastes, candy canes, oranges, cloves and pine boughs. I sit down and my teacher brings spiced cider for my Mom and cocoa for me. I cut into the construction paper and smell the fraying, dried pulp pull away. I use the glue and put glitter on the paper, rolling felt around the tips to make little drums. My teacher gives us little bags of potpourri that smell like roses and cinnamon.

On my walk back home, the air is still but retains that mineral freshness. I smell the pine trees near the fields and the peppermint candy canes and clove oranges, while the wood fires smell sweeter, like hot embers and ash. I go inside, hang my new treasures on the tree and wash-up for bed with cherry-almond soap. My bed is cool and clean, but cozy and I quickly fall asleep.

That’s “L’Heure Bleue” to me.

arzacu
arzacu

I would love to try this perfume, I've read the reviews and seems to be beautiful, and dark...

I've heard that it's a dark, and sad scent... very mellancholie

and i think about siouxsie in her black outfit in the dazzle video...

but it's not available in my country :(

onesexygrammy
onesexygrammy

I was so excited to try this. Imagine my dismay when I discovered that the mossy, dusty, vanilla mist showed no interest in staying with me. I am convinced now that my chemistry demands scents with presence. It was like walikng through a fog. As quickly as it descended and disoriented me, then pouff, it was gone. It left me wondering at times if I had actually applied any at all. The lack of presence and duration left me feeling blue.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

This perfume reminds me a french eau de cologne when my little brother was borned in 1971 and my mum' bought for pamperring him. i lost the trade mark and i'm very disapointed.
The same scent, same powdery sillage.
I love this masterpiece for our nose...

lovingthealien

This is probably the most wearable perfume in existence. God, is this ever gorgeous.

hollycat

L'Heure Bleue is one of those perfumes that is so romantized and rightfully so, considering its long history in the perfume hall of fame.

Its really hard to describe and certainly must be experienced in order to grasp the complexity of this perfume. But I will give it a shot in explaining this scent the best I can. Its an intensely serious perfumey perfume. A rich, powdery floriental with anise being the first note that pops out at me. Many people smell violet and if that wasnt mentioned at some point I wouldnt have noticed since there is so much going on with this perfume that no note takes center stage, it all just comes together creating a scent that is serious and a bit somber.

The EDT is much better than the EDP IMO, because the EDT is brighter, less medicinal smelling, and less powdery. I personally cannot see myself wearing this perfume anywhere. This is not because I dont like it, but it doesnt suit me and I would feel like I was pretending to be something Im not.

I personally believe that Guerlain had Lhb in mind when they made Insolence, which to me is a modern and upbeat version of Lhb.

fanny
fanny

Velvet is not the only fabric which comes to mind.
Stardust and elusive dreams are inevitable.

Sweet sweet sorrow and gratitude: you are forever in my heart.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

If Jicky is the younger spontaneous, outrageous carefree sister and Apres L'ondee is the gentle, pale-skinned, soft-spoken sister, then L'Heure Bleue is the seductive, hip-swaying, beckoning with a crook of her finger sister.
The first whiff of this sent my pupils dilating, heart palpitating and head spinning in a delicious way. Much like how I felt watching Ryan Gosling take his shirt off in "Crazy, stupid love".
This scent is gorgeous and that's putting it mildly. It's heady, strong without overpowering or being too bolshie. It's aptly named, although I would dare to wear this in the day just because I can't imagine now being without it.
A dark, velvetly violet-floral, woody, slightly, only ever slightly musky scent.

scratchnsniff
scratchnsniff

'My God, you smell divine!' said my husband. Enough said. Warm and sensuous.

Seriously 'flavorite' stop taking the blue metaphor to heart. It's just supposed to represent bloody twighlight!

I think some people find this fragrance disturbing because they are day people (or need to seek psychiatric help). It's not for people who love the sun, the heat and daylight. I on the other hand don't. This fragrance is best suited to a cooler climate.

There is a reason that this perfume has been around for such a long time....it's beautiful.

Zephyrzkingdom
Zephyrzkingdom

This perfume is my mother.

She's been wearing this since I could remember. When I was little, it was very powdery and stuck up to me. However, I can smell the floral parts of it, which I enjoy...it has a slight powdery smell to it, but that might be from what I recall of it as a child. L'Heure Bleue is the fragrance I recall smelling on warm summer nights when I would watch the stars start to open their sleepy eyes and dance in the night sky while my mother bundled me up in her sweater so I wouldn't get cold. It's the sound of the trees chattering in the warm breeze, making the stars glitter and shine ever brighter.

This is the perfume of my mother. And I won't ever get tired of it...even though I lament that it doesn't stay on my skin very long. I have to spray some of it onto a scarf for it to stay with me.

KSBelle
KSBelle

Words cannot describe this timeless beauty. In fact, if time itself had a fragrance- this would be it. The endless blue sky, the soft breeze across the desert sands, the warmth of the sun, and the shimmering of evening stars as they adorn the curtain of nightfall. If Shalimar is the Garden of Eden, then L'Heure Bleue is Heaven on earth. Once again, Guerlain has bottled up a piece of Heaven for each of us to experience, as if we are worthy enough to have a glimpse of its majesty. Mortals with the nectar of Gods upon our skin, for a fleeting attempt at immortality.
Surely, there is not one of us who can fully grasp the awesomeness of this perfume. It seems an insult to call it a fragrance, or even a perfume. This, my fellow humans, is a private tour of eternity. Inhale deeply, and watch the world turn blue, the sun fade away, and in its place a new sun. For there can only be one star as bright as this. Everything else pales in comparison. L'Heure Bleue is captivating. It is the hour before darkness, before the realization that we are only immortal for a limited time. When you wear L'Heure Bleue for a moment, you get to feel what it would be like to live forever.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

This is another one of those jaw dropping Guerlain scents. Just like Mitsouko, it surprises me from the opening until the end. On the first sniff I am thinking wow very powdery, but blue powdery, definitely iris in here amd some lilac as well as carnation. Longevity and projection very good. Very soapy and powdery but in a different way to my beloved Mitsouko, very classy and grown up. This is definitely on my MUST own this list, worth evey penny, especially the EDP version. Huge thumbs up.

Baldric
Baldric

I have a hard time describing this, and so much has been said already that I should probably just keep my mouth shut but I feel the need to chime in. the blend of heliotrope, anise,iris, vanilla, powder and much more is absolutely stunning and timeless. This is a perfume that makes it's presence known but isn't loud or overbearing. Comforting and elegant at the same time. I accidentally got the edt (no wonder it was such a bargain!) and the quality is far superior to any new edp on the market these days. Lasts long, projects far, smells like heaven. One of the best, now and forever.

Sorcerer1001
Sorcerer1001

Dear god thats good. I love all my fumes, dont get me wrong. Of everything ive ever owned or tried, this is the only one that i would call entrancing. It smells sooo expensive and its mastery of being both soothing and arousing is unmatched. The guerlainade base is very evident and stunning, and the anise on top is enthralling. With all the talk of the anniversary this year i tried my sample again. This is totally at the top of my list of things to buy now :D

Jernê Knowles
Jernê Knowles

Estou num jantar à luz de velas e tenho muito dinheiro no bolso. A sensação de luxo e riqueza que o atalcado dele nos remete é divina! Posso estar precipitado, mas é o melhor atalcado que já senti até hoje. Que Benjoim é esse? Que Coentro equilibrado é esse que não fede a sovaco, ao contrário, mesclado ao veludo do Heliótropo o deixa confortável? E esse Cravo inteligente e maduro que sabe o que quer ser dentre as outras notas?! É datado sim, mas não o considero pesado como outros da Guerlain, o Anis nele é na medida certa, nada de exageros nele. Fixação e Projeção, sem comentários de tão boas que são! Clássico sem cheiro de velharias! Eu queria ser mais justo nas minhas palavras, mas não consigo. Isso é L'Heure Bleu!

scarlettohara
scarlettohara

I just bought a bottle a few weeks ago at Guerlain's flagship store in Paris on the Champs Elysees and just love it! The Queen Mother loved it and Queen Elizabeth II still wears it. Jackie O wore it regularly also. It makes every woman feel like a queen! :-)

oilizer
oilizer

I fell in love with this scent immediately upon smelling it. The name fits the scent so well. It reminds me of the twilight hour after sunset on a cool autumn evening. Some say it's a sad and sorrowful scent but I don't see it that way. I prefer terms such as blue and nostalgic. It reminds me to reflect the day's event (or the life). Such thoughts might trigger brief moment of miss and longing for the past but that's because of the joy I had in the past, not from the regret. It calms my nerves and prepare me to the closure of the day (or a chapter in life). I wouldn't say this scent is powdery as a "warm dry flowery and flour like" scent but more a "cool creamy velvet" scent; it has just enough sweetness and unexpected touch of flowery freshness to give a sense of moisture like sensation.

As much as I love this scent, the dry down is distinctively feminine with strong iris. I still wear it when I go to sleep and want to have reflection time but I so wish I can sport the scent regardless of where I am.

kristalbee
kristalbee

After reading these reviews I had a spritz of this today at the perfume counter.I have never smelt anything like this before - the initial wave of aniseed and bergamot is shockingly medicinal -like a cough candy -but soon this develops into a most beautiful florally not sweet aroma -the type you would get in a garden at dusk after a very hot day - eventually this dries down to something deep and organic - earthy, hippie (patchouli) but lightened by the vanilla -then to balsam -this last bit I didn't like as much but could live with just for the beginning and middle notes. After 25 mins I realised that the guerlain consultant was correct in saying she thought it would be better as a Winter fragrance -in fact this store only sell it at Xmas. I could imagine snuggling in front of a smoky log fire, snow outside enveloped in this fragrance - on my Xmas list for sure

delilahcat
delilahcat

This is my all time favourite fragrance, i wish i could shower in it its that good! I love the way it evolves so beutifully, like a summers day! It starts out fresh and green like dew at dawn and then becomes sweet and warm like flowers inthe midday heat and finaly the drydown, my favourite bit, its hazey like warm hay after a harvest and the Guerlain vanilla with its gorgeous tar note is amazing! Its like a lazy summers day in a bottle!

ineverwas
ineverwas

This is quite likely one of the toughest fragrances to review, at least for me. It's a gorgeous, nostalgic, dusky classic that's at once memorable and very hard to describe. I can't easily pick the notes apart as they're so well blended and the whole perfume feels smooth and seamless. But for the sake of analysis and review, I will try to isolate them :)

L'Heure Bleue starts with a burst of heliotrope and anise, which is surprisingly playful and a bit dramatic. But the opening doesn't really prepare you for what is to follow - a gorgeous, classy, powdery heaven, of old-school Guerlain refinement. There is iris in there, there is vanilla and soft sandalwood and benzoin, all developing slowly as the perfume dries down, while a sublime note of orange blossom is constantly apparent to my nose.

L'Heure Bleue definitely feels like a floral oriental, with nutty undertones of almond-like heliotrope, trademark Guerlain iris powderiness and a soft, lush, creamy base of woods, resins and spices. A combination like that might sound rather bold and overpowering, but with L'Heure Bleue, it's all a melancholic whisper, of understated grace.

I have received very diverse feedback while wearing this - some people loved that it smelled like French face powder and cosmetics, others found it soapy and old-fashioned like homemade soap. My best friend was excited that it smelled to her like her favorite Indian incense sticks. There were about as many opinions as people to tell them.

To me, though, L'Heure Bleue smells like a feeling, a human emotion. It is not merely a perfume, it is a mood, a contemplative, melancholic state of spirit - like... feeling blue.

brettashley
brettashley

I only got to try this while I was at the Guerlain boutique in Epcot, but I wish I'd taken a bottle of it home with me. Soft, a little powdery, but incredibly elegant. I'm looking forward to tracking down a bottle.

media192
media192

Why does this remind me of Coty l'Aimant?
Really wished it didnt as l'Aimant reminds me of school dinner ladies perfume! Having said that, it is only my first day wearing it after blind buying it based on its highly respected reputation. I love Mitsouko so thought this would also win my heart.
..... Although i do still feel it smells similar to l'Aimant it does have a lot more depth and smokyness to it and i definitely get the melancholic vibe which is haunting yet comforting, like watching a sad movie that you cant help but love.

Pari88
Pari88

The Blue Hours are a time when all human kind is silent and the only sounds outside are those of the birds singing praises or the fireflies and crickets waking up. Even in a big city it seems that humans are always hiding inside during twilight. I have always associated twilight with prayers, solitude, reflection, and of course dreaming.
I would certainly not say that the name of this "The blue hour" suits the smell...they are actually far apart...But I do believe that the name was meant to intend the Blue hour in ones life, not in ones day. The shortest hour in the day; the shortest time in ones life. The time between maturity and adolescence. It is the short period of innocence, and naivety that is being threatened by what is yet to come: adulthood. This would be the scent of that specific "blue hour"...The scent I always imagined while watching "The Legend".

Sweet sweet heliotrope with a dash of talc is what I smell here. The carnation begins to peak through as this dries down to a very sweet and balmy vanilla. The sweetness of the vanilla is balanced by the sharpness of the carnations and possible other notes. I like this one a lot, but I can not find the similarities between this and Apres l ondee? This one is all about heliotrope and carnations, giving it the scent of pumpkin pie. It is very delicious, sort of an airy spicy smell that is quite unique and lovely. This silage here is a trickster. It goes away for a while, and then I get whiffs of it all of the sudden. This surrounds you with a soft and always lovable aura. Very carefree and spiritual in a sense.

Peachply
Peachply

The carnation is what really makes this a tough one to bear. It's tricky to use carnation. I recognize that this is a very nostalgic scent for many but for me that's just not enough. It reeks.

Shadowfroggy
Shadowfroggy

After Joyce Carol Oates referenced it in a short story as "the most seductive of scents" I just had to have it! I anxiously waited the 3-5 business days and practically snatched the package from the deliveryman when it came, tore open the box,sprayed the bottle and was enveloped in...baby powder? carnations? a hint of sugary roasted almonds?

I suppose at its debut this was seductive the way an exposed ankle was. Today I think I would describe it as the scent of innocence. It seems to me it belongs in another era, where people dressed to sit down to dinner and chicken aspic was on the menu.

Is it a classic? Yes! But tastes change. By all means sample it, but don't feel like you have to love it. I like 'Heure Bleue and coincidentally, I like aspic. It doesn't mean that you are unrefined if you'd pass on anymore than if you'd pass on the chicken jello.

xanman
xanman

Fragrantica has some of the most descriptive, eloquent reviews that I have ever read. Perfume is a great muse!! Unlike other reviewers, L'Heure Bleue is really impossible for me to describe, I guess kinda like a mere mortal describing eternity. However Olfactory Overload hit the nail smack bam on the head - "its almost like the maker put a soul in this scent." True,
L'heure Bleue does not project mere sillage- it projects more like a spiritual aura..

ION
ION

I am not a big fan of Guerlain perfumes. The powder in excess one finds in "L'heure Bleue" characterises many of the house's classics. That, and their rather pretentious "comme il faut"/well mannered aspect, I find slightly annoying.
"L'heure Bleue" however, is among the best Guerlains. There is something very noble and aristocratic about this perfume, it dominates the space around the wearer, it speaks before her, for her.
It is surprising how well it compares to the current offerings and how easily surpasses them as well given the fact it is created exactly one century ago!
Its unmistakable vintage vibe doesn't substract anything of its charismatic presence, quite the opposite I should say.
If a gypsy wears "L'Heure Bleue", she becomes a queen. Literally!

Maylone
Maylone

This is one of my all time favorites. If you don't like the way it smells on the initial spray, I recommend spraying it on a pillow, walking away for an hour, then returning. I spray it on my bedsheets and pillows! This scent is one of the most beautiful, comforting, lonely, scents I know. The only way to describe the effect it has on me is that it makes me feel the way I did when I was a little kid watching "The Last Unicorn"; the theme song and depiction of early evening setting in where the light outside looks reddish-brown, then goes into blues. This perfume represents those moments when you're alone and comfortable with the isolation.

Jellybean
Jellybean

Smokey, spicy, musky and powdery scent. It has vintage written all over. Gorgeously nostalgic composition:)
Something about it reminds me of VW Boudoir, the powdery clean spicy touch.
It dries down to clean soft powder musk. High power silage!
One of the greatest perfumes ever created. Hope it stays around forever! Unchanged!

OlfactoryOverload
OlfactoryOverload

One summer evening Jacques Guerlain was overcome by intense turmoil. It was the suspended hour the hour when the sky has lost its sun but not yet found it's stars- when everything in nature is clothed in a blue light. (borrowed from Guerlain.com)
I really think Jacques Guerlain hit the nail on the head here. This is a summer scent for me. It makes me a bit melancholic then I want to sit back and reflect on the beautiful things in life.

This EDP has a different & unique signature when sniffed from different angles. I must've looked strange turning my head every which way to catch all the subtle notes. On me Orange blossom & iris with very very faint tuberose. I'm not usually a tuberose fan, but this EDP is truly a masterpiece.
This scent truely is in turmoil. One minute it's there, one minute it's not. Its maker almost put a soul in this scent. Not a staple scent for me, but, I still like it.

Troodos
Troodos

I completely adore this perfume. It has such a beautiful blend of such high quality ingredients that it is the one I always come back to. Despite it's sexy strength it is delicate enough to prompt my partner to comment that I smelt 'all showered and fresh' when I put it on. Powdery, warm, sexy, gentle, vanilla heaven. I don't know if people are getting old and fusty samples as a new bottle has no fusty stale smell to it and please folks, can we stop it with the 'old lady' ageist comments? If a perfume seems dated to you that is fine but please leave the prejudicial disrespect out of it.

emily7
emily7

This is such a relic of a long lost time for me!

It could work equally well as an innocent reminiscence of some pastel blue and hazy purple, sweet vanilla yellow, spicy anise carousel in a happy day of some 19th century child as for my own childhood memories of getting colourful, pleasantly plastic-smelling, synthetic hair doll, bunch of toys, pastel crayons and much, much more in a huge cellophane wrap of a present from a perfectly adjusted socialist version of Santa Claus, righteously given on New Years Day in my mother's workplace, instead of in a cozy livingroom, in front of a perfect Christmas tree, on Christmas morning. So happy for those precious moments preserved forever, so sad for forever lost childhood innocence...

Perfectly sentimental and dreamy - but only if carefully dosed (EDP).

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

The most atrociously bad of all revered classic perfumes, it smells like a dusty, cobwebbed tray of sugar cookies that has been sitting in Miss Havisham's parlor for twenty years. I hate it.

blueberry
blueberry

I am totally spellbound by L'Heure Bleue EDP. Such a timeless fragrance, making me feel literally out of time, out of place.
I am lost for words to decribe the state I'm in while wearing it.
Sheer Beauty.
Excellent longevity, classic and multi-dimensional vibe of both oriental, floral, spicy, powdery and even somewhat aldehydic notes.

Long live the Queen!

Norgirl
Norgirl

Im so so glad i got the chance to try this beauty. I was affraid it was going to to sharp or to old fashioned for my taste .
But first time i put it one it was instant atraction..
The Heliotrop and anis in the beggining is beautiful a little sharp whit the bergamot and citrus twist . But then the Heliotrop becoms more outgoing after a little wild and makes it so so soft and enchanting on my skin , Like a magic moment in the hours between day and night.
Like a gental breez off warmth before the cooler air and night fals upon us. This makes an image in my head off a young lady standing on a balconny dreaming and longing for here Loved one. He is just around the corner and she s just standing there in the breez thinking off him and wanting to be close to him.. There is a longing a kind off melancholic feal to it .. but not in any way depresing to me . more like a longing for somthing . longing for Love and affection maybe ..

I am not shure how i will be looked one if i dear to put this one going out :) It is more off a personal perfume to me , somthing to put one for the more thoughtful moments in life ..

There is also a very nice thing whit this one , I reminds me off old times , visiting my grandmother and granfather .. im not shure if she did wear this at any stage .. But i think it is the touch off carnations that makes this memory comes to mind :)
I kind off find the same feal and touch off slight magic in Sun Moon stars also . bu i would not say this two perfumes are much alike , But they do have the Carnations incommen.. I love this magical dreamy scent <3 a true masterpice.. Very special and unik to me :)

;-)

This is a lovely sent that I've read is the favourite of the former super model Emma Sjoberg's favourit. It's nice and lovely kind of soapy. Perfect for a calm and nice woman form her mid 30th and up. I'm too intence to feel comfortable in this sent but as a fragrance I love it. A true classic.

padraiginrua
padraiginrua

I know how ell loved this scent is but to me I just can't get past the carnation. There is something so sharp and spiky almost like a mint in shape, I thionk its the geranium and I just can't get past this. :(

pingui
pingui

I write this review with a heavy heart, as I SO wanted to love L'Heure Blue, Jicky, or Shalimar. First of all, I have immense respect for anything designed that stands the test of time, and Guerlain fragrances and their beautiful bottles have done that remarkably.

I wanted to have one of these fragrances/bottles grace my silver tray, but alas the fragrances aren't me, and don't work with my chemistry.

LHB on my skin reminds me of college where students trying to hide the scent of pot in dorm rooms would burn incense. I get a heavy patchouli scent that ran over a bed of Irises with a lawnmower. Despite the fact I think Irises to be a most gorgeous flower, their fragrance in my mind stinks. Both of these aromas leave me cold.

I admire that this fragrance tells a story as it evokes a personal memoir for many of you. I can see/smell that myself, although for me I find myself needing to wash my wrist as soon as I type this review.

Chantal

L’Heure Bleue, Eau de Parfum.

My feelings have drastically changed since the review I did a few months ago, and I find that I have come to love this fragrance very much in a new and very unexpected way.

L’Heure Bleue is a fragrance that marks those precious moments in a woman’s day when she stops and looks at the world, listening, as if from a high balcony, to the muted sounds of an old and beautiful city as it winds down in the evening. She feels suddenly thoughtful in these moments. I feel this way when I put this on, and the beauty of this scent falls around me like the blue night air. A perfect dusting of florals entwines poetically with light, fresh anise and powdery accords, all in exquisite balance. The notes are subtle and soft, yet they come together in a way that makes this scent unique, distinctive. It is Mine, it is Yours, but there is no Our with L’Heure Bleue. This is not something that is shared – it is something that is left behind. It belongs wholly to the woman wearing it, but the scent that lingers in a room, on a scarf, conjures the memory of her long after she has left.

There is something quiet and charming in this yellow liquid, yet when wearing it, it lends an air of confidence and infinite femininity. What a beautiful name L’Heure Bleue has, what an inspiring image it evokes, and what a dazzling feeling it creates in a person, with only the smallest dab on the wrist. It is... enchanting. The enchantment L’Heure Bleue brings is absolute. Shalimar may be bold and exotic, Mitsouko may be spicy and aromatic, but L’Heure Bleue is the fragrant embodiment of an inherent and enduring grace.

alchimia72
alchimia72

I loved this perfume at firt sniff. It opens with bergamot like many Guerlain's fragrances.I love its powdery and floral heart notes, the sweet note done by vanilla. At the end the smell becomes comfortable. It doesn't seem an old fragrance but a fragrance of these days. It's a masterpiece!

Brogie
Brogie

EdT:
Ah! L'Heure Bleue, Monsieur Jacques Guerlain's great Belle Epoque classic.

It was love at first sniff for me and LHB. Once spraying on my skin, the vision of fields upon fields of purple violets at dusk. I hadn't even read about the legend of Monsieur Guerlain's nightmare and that's the vision this evoked.

It begins with a lot of flowers and a little bit of powder. Half an hour later, you've arrived at the most delicious pastry shop in all of Paris. This is where the fragrance gets heavy. It spends a very long time in the Guerlinade before finally ending 12 hours later as a clove-based dessert cream.

I love this, it's amazing. A little on the feminine side but not in the modern-day fruity floral sense. Recommended.

syracusa
syracusa

I am desperately trying to ADORE this because it is indeed quite fascinating, nostalgic and deep. It DOES remind me of my grandmother, the most beautiful and amazing woman that has ever lived - though I don't think she ever wore this particular fragrance (I suspect Fracas instead). But it just reminds me of her times and her world - and it was launched the year she was born. The first impression I get is "linden tree flowers". My hometown was full of linden trees so it also smells like childhood to me. Soft, protective, wise, gentle...
I would love to have it in her memory.
It really is an elegant beautiful fragrance...but without a trace of sensuality in it. This is by excellence a motherly scent - no wonder Queen Elizabeth wears it. It also smells like the very antidote of our world's rampant superficiality. Despite all this, I am not sure I could make it work in the right kind of way. I have always been an "old soul" but sometimes I fear this kind of scent might make me appear even more disconnected from our times than I already am at the age of 39; and this feels a little bit...yes...sad.

neferteria
neferteria

I finally had the opportunity to smell L'Heure Bleue while on a trip to a large city that had a Neimans. I was intrigued with the first sniff. I returned home with a small sample vial, eager to try the scent in its fullness and over the period of a few hours. It was no time at all before I was completely captivated. And it was no time at all after that before I ordered a full bottle of the EdeP, understanding that the new formulation was a bit "bumpy" and not a full representation of its original formulation. But I was happy with it, so happy that I searched out the vintage. It arrived today, a vintage EdeC, and yes, it does smell like the older sister of the current formulation. I have never had the experience of this scent being "sad", but rather mysterious, evocative, and most enjoyable as she slowly reveals her many charms as the scent develops. A new favorite for me for sure!

GinnyO
GinnyO

I personally love the scent, but as one writer has noted above - no one else ever mentions it (except for my children) who told me it smelled like 'baby wipes'. I have worn samples of other perfumes and had people comment on it smelling nice - it definitely doesn't seem to have any staying power on me.

Esscentially299
Esscentially299

It is not pleasant to write a review that you know will be unpopular. But then popularity really isn't the point, is it? It is to tell the truth as you see it and, hopefully, to do so with tact.

I have respect for the house of Guerlain. I acknowledege the artistry of their "holy trinity": Shalimar, Mitsouko, and L'Heure Bleue.

My first impression of the EDP I sprayed on my wrist was...it smelled like L'Origan! I had not read the theory that LO(1905) inspired LHB(1912), so this was a surprise, and the start of a search online for fragrance histories. (I enjoy history...no prob.)

In the opening I smelled aniseseed and bergamot, and an orange blossom smell. That converted to an odd medicine smell, not terribly pleasant to my nose. The scent stayed close to my skin, with modest sillage.

Eventually this passed and became a powdery finish.
The staying power was about five hours on my skin.

Because I have dry skin that sometimes plays havoc with scent, I tried an old trick: I rubbed unscented Jojoba oil into my other arm before applying the EDP.

This improved it somewhat, bringing out more florals,
but it did not remove the funny medicine smell.

The next experiment was to spray it on clothing. On cloth, it progressed rapidly to a smell not listed in the ingredient lists I consulted for this fragrance: Heliotrope. Heliotrope, to my nose, is a powdery floral, very very sweet, but in a non-edible way. It smells like it belongs in the Victorian era, and can be cloying and oppressive. On cloth, the scent lasted for three days!

I began to experience headache and slight nausea. This does not mean the fragrance is bad but it definitely means it is not one I should be using.

I think it all comes down to a person's body chemistry. It either works for you or it does not.Try before you buy!

If LHB has a persona, this is what comes to mind: I see a pensive, wistful woman watching the sunset evolve into a velvety and quiet twilight. The busy-ness of the day is receeding from her mind, and what is to come has not yet been born. She stands between the worlds of day and night, of past and future, in a silent awareness of the now, and a question that cannot be put into words.

It is not a sad perfume, but it is very contemplative and enigmatic. It is gentle, but serious.It is filled with possibilities and contradictions. Not an easy perfume to wear but, if you have the right skin chemistry, it could be very rewarding.

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt
Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

I could see this smelling like insolence (sort of) but ''chanel no5?'' are you joking? maybe chanel no19 o.0

martajary
martajary

While I do feel this scent evokes a vintage feel, I have read about it's reformulation and apparently it smells nothing like the 1912 orginal at all.

serchina
serchina

Henriette, I totally agree..when I first tested it, I prepared myself for an old and heavy scent..but wow its so light, powdery, so nice and elegant. I still cant believe that this is a work of 1912..for me its like something very modern and young..its a masterpiece!

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

I ordered some classis edp samples of several of the Guerlain fumes, and on first sniff, decided I didn't like LB at all. It was like opening up a long closed closet in the home you grew up in. You don't really want to go in....but something draws you in. LB is memories good and bad, and on some days you don't want to go there. I've been going through some bad times, and right now LB takes me to a better place. I've been comforted by wearing this after my bath and going to bed. Hope it gives you the same sweet dreams.

Henriette

I find very funny reading that L'Heure Bleue is smelling "old" when I find it very similar to what many new perfumes smell today. If you go to any niche perfumery and do try some of Andy Tauer's bestsellers (say L'Air du Desert Marocain, Le Maroc Pour Elle, Incense Rosé) or if you do try some of the new oud based scents so much in vogue now, or some Tom Ford, you will find that L'Heure Bleue showed the way many years ago. Really strange how we do perceive a scent: if it was created many moons ago, then it's "old", if it's recent, then it smells new. I would love to try a blind sampling.
BTW: I love L'Heure Bleue and find it so perfect that not a fault can be found. And it's hard to describe. I imagine this has to be tried, loved and enjoyed. You might not like it, perfume is a very personal matter, but it's constructed with an inspiration coming directly from Heaven.

bobkat
bobkat

I agree that LHB is a distinctively old school scent, as I believe many of the traditional Guerlain scents are- but they more than hold their appeal amongst the brash modern scents around today. For someone that knows their own mind and enjoys the scents that they love, and likes to make a subtle but not unnoticed statement with their scent....love Guerlain!
My mum started it off with wearing Shalimar...but i couldn't have that as my scent because it was so much hers! I experimented in the 80's and found Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue (Jicky another fave with Parure), there's just something in that smokey, musky vanillary base note that is so strong in older Guerlain fragrances...it's addictive...I never get tired of smelling it. LHB is smokey, warming, it beckons you in to its embrace and is classic, evocative and individual..not any old bod on the High Street will be wearing this...or should be....

EK
EK

L'Heure Bleue is a perfume that brings a caleidoscope of images to my mind.. memories that aren't memories, but should have been. A journey in time.
It's the faint smell that rises from a forgotten scarf in the Orient Express. It is the whiff from an aristocratic lady passing by, wearing a fur coat and a hat. That kind of lady that makes men throw their coats in the gutter for her to step so she won't ruin her shoes.
It's the silk lining in an old, expensive crocodile purse. The enormous staircase in the grand hall from an old hollywood musical, and the diva slowly walking down, her dress floating on the steps. It is the view from the balcony once you escape the laughter and the shallowness of the party. It's a golden powdercase with enamel decoration and a facetted mirror in the lid. It is pearls, gold and diamonds. Gas lights in dusk. An abandoned bench covered in autumn leaves in an empty park just after rain.
It is the very atmosphere of Hotel Paris in Prague - or any other fabulous original Art Noveau-interior.
It is warm and sophisticated, bold and distant, yet intimate and romantic. Old-fashioned? Yes. It makes me feel I live in the wrong era. Not the perfume, but me. 'Old lady'? Well, I can't imagine a teen girl wearing it, but everything is possible. Just as I couldn't wear it with jeans, but some could probably pull that off too.
L'Heure Bleue is fabulous. It is divine. The ultimate perfume. This is what defines 'classic'.

I perfectly understand White_'s vision.
L'Heure Bleue is simply divine, like many other perfumes of that era and school. I love also Samsara that was my personal choice for many years, I like Shalimar, Mitsouko. Great real gorgeous sophisticated perfumes that project a magical aura, especially to the wearer!
L'Heure Bleue is a gentle beast. You need to wear it or it will wear you.
Every time I spray even a tiny amount on my wrist I end up being in perfume heaven!
Yet LHB rarely brings you compliments. I mean: RARELY.
This is not necessarily a bad thing. A crowd pleaser is something else and mainly an acquired taste, too.
LHB generally smells weird to most noses, because it smells different. I received a few ecstatic compliments wearing LHB and MANY "no way, this is strong old lady"!
Then I partially understood why. Once I was in a packed underground train and over the usual mess of stink and harsh perfumes/deo and human molecules I smelled LHB. I was sure. It's unmistakable. In that precise moment I felt it overpowering and out of place. I could localise the wearer and she was a middle-aged lady with a day office outfit, with quite a shy attitude and far too conscious of how her perfume was projecting around! Weird! She looked a little bit embarassed. LHB was wearing her in a crowd.
Far from the mading crowd, restful, not rushing on trains at peak hours to get to the office, alone in a beautiful place or your own place: LHB is pure magic.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

Well, this has to be my most risky and expensive blind buy (I can never make it into town to have a good sniff at the big counters!) but, yet again my fellow fragranticans have not let me down!!
How do I begin? (EDP)This goes on with a strong blast of anise, citrus and animalic notes which smells 'dated' and familiar simultaneously - (at this point I was a bit scared). Almost immediately it settles into a powdered almond scent with a bare amount of sweetness and a slightly lactonic note, reminiscent of my much loved Femme. This isn't the opera singing Diva of Femme, though. L'Heure Bleue is inward and backward looking, a veil of nostalgia, a ghost of a woman.
Itreminds me of a house my mother worked in when I was a child in London. Its lady, Ms Edwards, lived in a huge Victorian house on her own, surrounded oasis like by the sounds and scents of the city, yet she drifted through her William Morris papered home, pulled her velvet curtains and played on her mahogany piano. She sums this scent for me. Though it looks to the past, it's also the future. Old age, wisdom and the Miss Faversham in all of us.
If you find that thought depressing, then you may not like this beautiful perfume, I find it a magic time potion in a bottle.
I recommend reading Daphne Du Mauriers 'Rebecca' whilst wearing this!

jtd
jtd

Describing Vol de Nuit once, I said I can't analyze or dissect the classic Guerlains. This holds true for l'Heure Bleue. I get an anise-like vanilla and orange blossom, but it seems like one of those immensely complex orientals of its era. Beyond my analytical skills. Still, it is my favorite of the classic Guerlains. It's been described as melancholic, moody, shadowy. Maybe this is a distinction without a difference, but for me it's less about affect or emotion than it is about a contemplative state. I tend toward reflection when I wear l'HB.

I find the simple prettiness of l'HB always affecting. This prettiness, sort of beauty on a low flame, burns its way into you. Capital-B Beauty with its drama might infatuate for a moment, a day. But l'HB's attractiveness entices over time. L'HB has no gloss, but looking at its matte finish over time, you come to realize it's your favorite color.

Review for Eau De Parfum

It’s interesting.

The notes bother me. It’s chalky, chemical, powdery, sharp, but I keep reaching for this like a puppy closing in on un-sniffed territory. It’s such a strange smell that I keep forgetting what it smells like and I can’t come close to forming an opinion that sticks for me. At first it smelled like sunscreen in the opening, then it turned into play-doh, but then the scent of anise came into the picture and it’s like walking into a movie half way through, I don’t know what’s going on. Is it good, is it bad, I have no idea, it’s just THERE, really and firmly. L’Heure Bleue is cold and damp, it’s grey, and just when it seems entirely heartless, something glimmers through, but I have no idea what. It’s compelling. It doesn’t suit me easily, but it’s something that intrigues me to the point where I wonder whether I’m actually liking it... It is a bit spicy, a bit peppery, there is a harsh sharpness to it that stings and taunts... even the powdery notes have a biting quality. It’s strangely feminine, tender in only the smallest way. It’s like the smell of nail polish and roses together: false veneer and genuine beauty come together, but which side will L’Heure Bleue show you?

I’ll keep testing this (though it’s been four times already, it’s still playing on my mind) and if I figure it out, I’ll post something. Just to be clear, it’s not bad, but it is quite different. Then again, that’s why I tried this.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

I'm probably not going to be the first person to say what my impressions of LHB. The lady who called this perfume "QUEENLY" got it so right on. That was the first thing I thought when I put it on (I hadn't read any of the reviews before now). The impression I had was of a woman who has gone through every emotion possible, has known suffering, grief, joy, sacrifice and come through the other side serene and self-composed. I think that is why many ladies say this perfume doesn't work for everyone - beautiful as it is. I mean, even though I'm 41 years old, I have not attained that level of detachment yet. Maybe someday, maybe not - I don't know what the sum of my life and my reactions to it will be.

I do know that the woman who can wear this perfectly is one who apologizes for nothing, does not smile easily, and commands respect from everyone.

fumehead
fumehead

LHB was my first non commercial love and it started my perfume love and beginnings as a perfumista. I first ‘discovered’ the EDT and was mesmerised by its intriguing and exotic scent, so unlike D&G ‘the one’ (my sig’ at the time) or anything else on the shelves and in the racy ad’s!

LHB is one of three ‘holy trinity’ Guerlains (along with Mitsouko and Shalimar) that are the staple of the perfume house, and I notice they all take on a ‘foodie’ theme, With Mitsuoko there’s the fruity peach and with Shalimar there’s the crème Brulee vanilla. LHB has a bittersweet Pastry/marzipan effect, pastries, and almond cakes very reminiscent of a Parisian patisserie. It becomes very much more vanilla on the drydown. The heart is spicy floral, loaded with Carnation, Parma Violets and powdery Iris. The base is pure vanilla Guerlainade, it lasts and lasts and is for me the strongest of all my collection. It just blooms on me and I tend to get the most reactions from people, mainly positive.
For me it is a bittersweet vanilla/Almond Gourmand with a spicy floral heart, I don’t get the melancholy thing, but it is a cool and somewhat intellectual scent without being pretentious.

p.s Kate Moss fanatics take note that this is her signature perfume, inspired, she named her own fragrance ‘Velvet Hour’ taken from LHB translation.

missymary
missymary

Awesome, a work of art. It was the second perfume I met that made me recognise the art of making a perfume. The first was Lolita Lempicka. And both are quite similar. They strike a chord of strange spiritual yearning and their fragrance has a strong but soft medicinal and herbal waft.I can only wear either of these perfumes when I'm in the mood for indulging in a bout of whimsical nostalgia. Then they are heavenly, but at other times they are (not unpleasantly!) disturbing and pungent. A very very special perfume, to be treasured and respected.

lisliasm
lisliasm

L'Heure Bleue is my mother's signature fragrance. She isn't a traditional woman-- my parents never had a wedding, for example-- but sometimes she would take me into her room and let me look through her jewelry and try on her silky blouses from when she used to live in New York City.

This fragrance has an air of mystery, nostalgia, and the unknown, like wanting to know about my mother's life before I was born. It reminds me of the sunlight filtering through clear glass crystals she would hang in the window.

Because it reminds me of my mother, L'Heure Bleue seems like a scent for an adult woman, maybe one with some kind of secret.

sofiii
sofiii

L’Heure Bleu EDP starts with Neroli mixed with really guerlain dry sweet slightly tart feel plus a little bit aldehyde charm which I can find in Chanel No.5 Parfum. This instantly takes me to a happy, relaxed state, feeling a little bit weary, yet content and just feel like to watch the sunset and chill. I guess I can understand why some people say this is a sad perfume, it does have the wasted feel in it, but in a really nice way.

Soon the slightly cool and powdery iris comes and makes it feel quite cute and adorable as in you appreciate your auntie’s doll collection in a slightly cool autumn Sunday afternoon when people are lazy and chilled.

Later on, it turns a little bit more dusty, powdery with any liveliness or sweetness fades away, and a hint of slightly woody peach-y wood hint in the background.

L’Heure Bleu Parfum version smells really typical pre-1950ish perfume start, it’s really thick, syrupy thick, with a slight medicine-y rooty patchouli feel to it. I was nearly thinking it was Mitsuoko Parfum, but L’Heure Bleu Parfum is more chilled, sweeter, watered and with a hint of star anise in the beginning in comparison with Mitsuoko, somehow the star anise scent here makes me feel it’s quite breathable and comfortable to wear.

Soon it turns to the cool iris powdery doll head smokey powdery smell which is similar to the EDP’s, but in Parfum, there’s a bit more tart and sweet citrusy undertone there and somehow it even makes me think of some orange flavoured erasers (not the juice fresh one, more a dried orange jerky flavour) which I had when I was little.

Similar to the EDP version, the Parfum goes to a more powdery and less sweet state, but the powdery feel in Parfum version is much more inviting and cosy.

Interesting perfume, really worth have a try. However, L’Heure Bleu is one of those perfumes deserve to be an art but not really wearing-friendly to me.

paulie86
paulie86

L'Heure Bleue is a really tricky fragrance. I loved it at first I had the edp concentration. I felt everything that any Guerlain lover feels when they first try L'Heure Bleue; Melancholic, thoughtful, peaceful and nostalgic. I could smell the watery anise, fresh violets, sweet almond, rose and spicy carnation notes. The drydown was the classic beautiful guerlinade. After awhile I could feel the schizophrenia in L'Heure Bleue On some days it would smell so classic and gorgeous, and on other days very obnoxious and cloying the first perfume ever that I had to scrub off my skin because of intense nausea. Or it would smell like intensely sweet play-doh or erasers due to the heliotrope. Because of L'heure Bleue I avoid anything that has heliotrope at any cost. A lot of Guerlain fragrances worked for me, and a lot have not. definitely try them before you buy.

MizLiz
MizLiz

L'Heure Bleue hates me. It hates me! It really, really hates me! I gave it so many tries, wanting to love such a mythic perfume. The nostalgia and romance of 1912 Paris at twilight, the comparisons to old-world pastry shops, the legendary poetic melancholy. But no. Every time it has refused me, turning to medicinal syrup and beer. That last one is true: Someone actually told me that I smelled like beer when I wore this! In conclusion, I envy those of you whose chemistry plays nicely with L'Heure Bleue. I wish mine did.

meg1969
meg1969

The EdT feels quiet, spiritual, and other-worldly. I get violets even though I didn't see it in the notes.

Like a mystical Pisces. I am dying to try the pure parfum.

krmarich
krmarich

This delicious romantic classic is like taking a stroll in Paris alone. You notice art, achitecture and gardens you could never describe. You stop by a cafe and have a pastry made of nuts and honey. Leaving the cafe you notice the fantastic sunset and suddenly realize you have no one to share it with! You get a profound sense of sadness.

That is LB to me.

I wonder if the trains in France still smell like it? I found that odd that something so expensive would be used to scent a train. I never complained!

Celebrity=Billie Holiday

stephan
stephan

This is the best perfume ever. On a lady, it will smell classy and old fashioned in a good way. It doesn't smell like a rich lady who doesn't clean her house, it smells like a bourgeois woman who knows how to make her laundry and who prefers to choose her vegetables herself at the market. On a man, it will smell modern and clean. As other reviewers noticed, the EDT is much better than the EDP.

Angelfreak4
Angelfreak4

I bought this in the toilette form about three years ago. It smelled so heavenly! Later on I bought the eau de parfum version. Big mistake!! It's way too strong and I'd only wear this at night. The vanilla comes on too strong for me. I used to love it, now I just like it.

gabyvinki
gabyvinki

Yes you can love or hate it or do not like it. But there s one thing you simply CANNOT do:
Denying that it IS a masterpiece, masterfully created by The Old great Perfumers of the world!!
L'Heure Bleue is perfume art as good as it gets. If you are going through the whole range of the best selling mainstream perfumes (or nearly the whole) and thereafter you go through the whole range of the best selling niche perfumes I can assure you your nose is trained!:) And then you will realize that L'heure Bleue is a kind of its own. All the parts fit so well in together it is like a symphony that will stay with you the whole day after only one spritz or dap of the pure perfume. It is so gorgeous , words can really not do it justice. It will haunt you if you like it or not, it s that good! Finally, finally I have found my "holy gral" within the fragrance world...:) Thanks to the old masters of GUERLAIN

Scandia
Scandia

My mother had this, and I used to sneak into her room to take the top off the little bottle and just breathe..it is a magical scent. Unique.

Meryyy
Meryyy

i Love Guerlains all fragrances!!! he is just a genie!

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

I've heard a lot of comments about L'Heure Bleue being "an old lady's fragrance" but I completely disagree. Yes, there are powdery notes in this scent that you could link with mature scents, but the bergamot and base notes resonate and give this scent heart and strength of character, almost defying description.

A little of this perfume goes a long way - spray too much and it really hits the back of your throat. I recommend this for evening use. I'm wearing it during the day at work and feel like I shouldn't be here - I should be out on the town instead, enjoying good food and vino, followed by a fabulous play! This is the kind of scent that I picture those fabulous New Yorker-types in Woody Allen's 'Melinda and Melinda' wearing.

L'Heure Bleue leaves me feeling confident and seductive. Not for everyday use, but for when you want a touch of something special.

taytumriley
taytumriley

i must have totally different body chemistry than all that love this perfume--- because like one of the other reviewers- this smells like 'old cheap soap' mixed with baby powder on my skin. i really wanted to love it, and actually have tried it at perfume counters on several occasions since it gets such high marks on perfume reviews...but i just can't even remotely like it. hate this one.

Wim Janssens

To be very honest, I am not a fan of Luca Turin - his work is not a bible. Only trust your nose and you will find out that L'heure Bleue is one of the most beautiful fragrances ever made!

Αλεξάνδρα
Αλεξάνδρα

L'Heure Bleue is deep, mysterious, evocative. It reminds me of all the beautiful women of the past, a period when real stars could still emerge. But not just beautiful women; sophisticated, sensual, arty, intellectual, and sexy...

It is sweet, powdery, violety... Of all the concentrations, I now prefer the parfum (it used to be the edt). You smell beautiful, you feel beautiful!

Edit: I am a violet lover; with this I get intense, interesting violets that many soliflores fail to capture, and bore me in the end; pleasant in the beginning, scrubbers in the end. Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens is also interesting, with prominent cedar wood- a bit aggressive sexuality, but L'Heure Bleue is softer, more feminine, and yes- as a reviewer mentioned far below- spiritual! You are swimming in the deep dark blue waters of life... Are you a good swimmer?

I must confess! I don't like L'Heure Bleue. While it's unquestionably relevant for its historical meaning and influence, at the same time it's badly aged. I've been trying this perfume countless times, but I've never been able to really appreciate it. It has a sweet buttery-like, almost gourmand opening that's absolutely obsolete, and even if it's not its fault it suffers from becoming an archetipal female fragrance.

Rating: 8.5/10 (for its relevance)
6/10 (for my personal taste)

jujy54
jujy54

I am New to L'Heure Bleue and like Yamba1, I wear it to bed, and for the same reasons. It has a meditative, introverted quality that is just right for ending the day. Shalimar had been my bedtime fragrance, and probably will be from time to time, especially in col weather, but there's something about LHB that is uniquely private, "just for me", I wonder if I'll ever wear it "socially" - so far I can't picture it. LHB is me alone with my thoughts.

Yes, I pick up violet and lots of it, or maybe the memory of violets. Violet once removed. How's that?

silviaci
silviaci

This is an exquisite fragrance I wouldn't wear on an everyday basis, but I sometimes like to enjoy the smell of it all for myself. The evocative name says it all, this is best enjoyed at dusk.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

At the opening, this perfume smells to me like morph between Guelain's Mitsouko and Apres L'Ondee. The scent is full of neroli, carnation, ylang-ylang with a touch of citrus. I was so sure there was violet note in it, but apparently, there isn't.

It's feminine, nostalgic, in tune with old good Guerlain's classics overall. It has this characteristic "soap" scent to it as well. I might like it, but it also seems to me that neroli is too strong: the perfume feels like battleship of neroli vs. other flowers.

Later on, it slightly transforms from being "soapy" to more "powdery" (if it makes any difference))It also becomes more vanilla-like, but not in gourmand way.

Like some have already said, this perfume is a good experience if you want to travel back in time (of course, you have to have some good imagination =)

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

After looking for this for what seems like forever I finally found it randomly at a Guerlain counter in a department store in Chester. Like almost all the classic Guerlains I've tried, I wanted to love it, but just didn't. It is pleasant, though I certainly get the pencil shaving smell unfortunately. I don't understand how this is classified as an oriental floral however, to me it is a classic chypre, of the Diorella variety. And like them it is like powdery, scented soap. Wish I could have more appreciation for this one.

LadyJedi
LadyJedi

L'heure Bleue is definitely not a teenage perfume but I wouldn't call it old-fashioned as I find it chic and retro in a positive kind of way. My skin seems to absorb it quite easily and it is not that strong or overpowering at all. On the contrary - the drydown is creamy and velvety and the vanilla base is amazingly soft and well-balanced. It is very elegant and feminine and evokes pictures of a low-cut dress and a romantic evening out.

candymarie
candymarie

Because this perfume is referred to so often by the parfumistas on this site, I had to sample to satisfy my curiosity.

The fact that it has an old-fashioned smell came as no surprise, since it was introduced before World War I.

It reminds me of my grandmother, who did not use fine perfumes (which in her mind were a huge waste of money) but she did use lots of powder after bathing. And that is what I smell, my grandma's body powder.

Like the fashions my grandma wore as a girl, this scent was new and fresh at one time, but no longer. For me, it is beautiful and valuable as a vehicle for nostalgia, but not something I want to smell on myself.

adele l
adele l

Yes old-fashioned, but in a very comforting way..lots of powdery iris on soft violets on a slightly buttery vanillic base which reminds me of a soft Shalimar. Really needs a little time to develop on the skin and become itself. I don't find L'heure Bleue melancholy at all, just reserved and meditative. Would take a little getting used to if you are not familiar with classic Guerlains..something you wear for yourself rather than to project an image to others. Quiet but very present!

mediterranean
mediterranean

I agree with the feeling of nostalgia some people describe here. Actually I like wearing this when I am on my own reading a book or having a glass of red wine. Also I have worn it to funerals and it matches perfectly my mood in those moments.

Miss Picky
Miss Picky

Oh, how I wanted to love this! The reviews here are so enthusiastic, and I love other Guerlain fragrances... but...

On me, this was a horrible, stinking, rotten violet. Truly awful. One of the worst I've ever tried.

This didn't smell like an 'old lady perfume' on me - it just smelled like an old lady! An unwashed, musty, over-perfumed poor dear, dousing herself in violet talc instead of having a bath.

I realise I should try it more than once to really give it a go, but I can't bear to. Just the thought of it makes me shudder.

What a shame. So many people have had delightful experiences with it; I'll stick to my beloved Jicky.

johnstaf
johnstaf

If Apres L'Ondee is a summer's day after a shower of rain, L'Heure Bleue is the same day after the sun has gone down. It's so full of life, as it opens with warm prickling spices and lush flowers, but as the earth cools, it gives way to a cool breezy iris. The picture is very complex and uncompromising, and it doesn't suit everyone, but if it's for you, it's one of the most wonderful achievements in perfumery.

hollycat

Guerlain's L' Heure Bleue is a meloncolic, soulful fragrance. Its not sad as much as its serious. Serious in a way that a deep thinker looks at life. A deep thinker feels things strongly, they cry when they hear beautiful music, they mourn for the people who suffer in this world, they empathize with others and above all else they possess an understanding of the plight of human kind. They are intense people. This perfume is intense. It speaks to you, as well as to others.

Its a powdery floral perfume so masterfully blended that its hard for me to decifer the notes. Someone on this site mentioned that they felt notes of violet. I feel the same way. But this isnt a violet scent. Its too complex to say that one note takes center stage. Its perfumey, but not in an in your face kind of way. The EDP lasts all day on me. Its very special.

Natalie467
Natalie467

I've been wearing a vintage L'Heure Bleue EDC for the past few days. I couldn't really get a feel of it by dabbing it on, I decanted it into a spray. Three sprays of it and I'm in heaven. Rich, luxurious vanillas, powdery florals, with a touch of sweetness and citrus even. I do think the top notes of my EDC have gone off, because this does not smell so great when taking a whiff from the bottle and when first sprayed, after a bit it's beautiful, but even hours after applying I swear I smell something citrus-y in this, whatever it is it's fabulous. Maybe the Vetiver?

LHB brings to mind winter, a chilliness, of blue snow, fresh snow with the sun setting into an icy blue sky causing the snow to take on a blue cast. In winter I tend to spend a lot of my free time in bed, reading, daydreaming, reflecting(and napping).
LHB is dreamy, like when you want to dream about the one you love......

We may get a snowstorm Sunday so I plan on wearing LHB all weekend. Snowstorms, I load up on provisions and hit the bed.

I also have a current decanted vial of LHB from the Guerlain counter. Smells a bit "candied up" and does not last as long as my old EDC. My EDC seems to smell more "mature" than the current version. Yes, perhaps it smells slightly old fashioned, but I don't mind smelling quirky at times.

geegee
geegee

On my skin i find L'heure bleue lasts a long time, even after bathing i can sometimes still smell it.

The initial spray opens very sharp & bright & i can easily detect the citrus notes, this makes the juice very fresh.

The floral side kick in very quickly with the rose & orchid pushing to the fore front. I too have always thought i could detect violet in this juice but no violet notes are listed so im unsure what i can detect in there thats close to violet. Perhaps its the heliotrope but i couldnt be sure as ive not smelt heliotrope alone.

The benzoin mixed with the vanilla gives this juice a deep warmth & the vetiver takes away the 'prettiness' but balances out all of the floral notes to exude an aloof sassiness.

This juice does dry down powdery & i love that. Its sillage is fantastic as is its longevity.

Its well worth the money in my opinion because it does last & is also rather unique.

guest_tourmaline
guest_tourmaline

Let's get one thing straight: there is violet here, and a lot of it. Whew...I feel so much better now that I've gotten that off my chest. No one in these reviews is mentioning the violet, which seems to dominate the composition of L'Heure Bleue. If the pretty violet note of Guerlain's Insolence was complicated by the addition of carnation, anise, orris, vanilla etc. then you might get L'Heure Bleue. This is one beautiful scent: deep, melancholy, rich. Try to get the parfum, it is more full bodied than other concentrations from the heightened dose of musk. L'Heure Bleue is lovely stuff. And very unique, balanced, and perfectly blended. A classic for very good reason...perhaps even the best perfume ever made.

Yamba1
Yamba1

I've recently taken to wearing L'Heure Bleue EDP to bed each night. Instantly, this perfume promotes quiet reflection and contemplation. I can understand why some other reviewers report feeling a sense of melancholy upon application. From a technical perspective, this could perhaps be attributed to the classic Guerlain powery drydown, yet I believe there is another intangible element to L'Heure Bleue.
As I drifted off to sleep last night cosetted by the majesty of this perfume, my mind conjured a thought that L'Heure Bleue was made from the dust sprinkled by angels. Bliss!

oona noir
oona noir

I'm sad that I can't wear this, especially since I love Apres L'Ondee so much. I've given the current EDP a spin twice, and both times it morphed into a very powdery scent (not a problem) with a very *dirty* edge. It smells beautiful in the bottle, but it hates my skin. All of you who can wear it, enjoy it for me, will ya?
Edit: After trying Mitsouko, I think I understand Jacques Guerlain a bit better. For me, his perfumes seem to speak about opposites. It feels like the equivalent of looking into a two way mirror- heaven if the perfume is right for you, but disturbing if it's not.For example, on me, L'Heure Bleu smells both like the most spiritual beauty that could exist (it's beyond earthly things) and also like two people rutting in the backseat of a car. Like life after death and sex, simultaneously. Mitsouko smells like a warm summer day with friends in dry heat and a cold winter day reading a book on your sofa by yourself. Apres L'Ondee is both wet and dry... Whether you can wear a particular perfume of his or not, it is fascinating to discover it!

orangepoppy
orangepoppy

DELEATED IN PROTEST
- Taking a stand against Fragrantica’s editing

Lady Love
Lady Love

(Edp 2010)

I was sitting in a beautiful public garden here in my country, on a hot-windy day, surrounded by different types of flowers, birds singing all the time, and children playing everywhere.

I got ‘L Heure Bleue’s bottle in my hands, this Eau de parfum is so hard to find, that I never had the chance to smell it before, but I was so moved reading all the comments about this, how people refer to ‘L Heure Bleue’ as an emotional and melancholic fragrance, so I felt tempted by this timeless beauty, and finally I decided to buy it unsniff via internet.
I’ve always wanted to see myself smelling this fragrance in a beautiful garden, that’s the reason why I was there yesterday, just when the sun starts to disappear and the sky begins to turn blue.

I remove L Heure Bleue’s cap, sprayed a bit in my hand pulse point and close my eyes. When I start to smell it, I fell like time has stopped, and suddenly couldn’t hear the birds sing, or the beautiful noise of flowers moving in the wind, even the children were silent. I think L Heure Bleue beauty was blessings my senses, and takes me to another level.

I really can’t describe this fragrance, is impossible, It’s unique. But I will say L Heure Bleue smell like a mix of Chanel N5 Eau de Premiere (a lighter version) and Christian Dior ‘’Miss Dior’’(Without the aldehydes, patchouli and the leather notes) (Edt 2010). Anyway, don’t take this comparison to serious, because this fragrance is out of the world. The presence of the rose, ylang –ylang, jazmin and benzoin are prominent from the beginning to the end. In the first minutes of L Heure Bleue you will also notice a tender-weak lemon and anise touch. I don’t understand why people are saying this fragrance is impossible to wear, it’s just so tender and pure. It’s very retro but, and I don’t believe this is a old lady type scent.

L Heure Bleue is so mysterious, sometimes I smell a beautiful garden, sometimes a bottle full of Candy cane, and sometimes and ancient temple.

I love this masterpiece, and is very different from Shalimar.

guest_A. Rose

...and one quick addition: Borsari released a fragrance called "Notte Romana" (beautiful fragrance but sadly, now discontinued) that became very popular in the 40's and it has the same nocturnal, dewy, wistful quality as LHB. The original "Evening in Paris" shares much in common with both of these, as well. They all share a combination of rose, anise/anisette and tonka bean ("Evening in Paris" is heavier on the jasmine), so that might account for their similar moodiness. For me, blue chamomile, tonka bean, galbanum and some kinds of fig notes, are best for conveying lucid-dreamlike grace. The "4 dancing princesses" of fragrance--a somnambulist elegance. Tonka bean (different than the musk, which was also originally included in LHB; although, the current inclusion is unlikely to come from a natural source) has a dusky-sweet, coffee-like richness to it that adds a quality of sugared warmth and graininess to a blend.

Just thought I'd mention "Notte Romana" for LHB lovers!

guest_A. Rose

There's an eeriness to "L'Huere Bleue" that I find compelling; not a sinister eeriness, but a true representation of the existential transience of life, of love, loss and mortality. It's like a ghost of a fragrance, but not in a terrifying way--like seeing the flickering image of a silent screen star and coming to a realization: With all their vitality, animation and expression onscreen, they're gone. They've all long died. No matter how compelling and electric a personality you are, no matter what you accomplish in life, no matter who you love or haven't loved...you will die. We all pass. When I smell the sterile, dusky sheerness of orris powder and the velvety, yet medicinal anise blended with soft vanilla of "L 'Huere Bleue", I am never more aware of my vulnerability as a human being. It doesn't frighten me--the cozy, lullaby-singing sweetness of the "mommy" notes (vanilla and powder)soothes any anxiety--but it makes me very wistful and sentimental, somehow. The tonka note--something I often have a hard time wearing--blends smoothly with the oily base, resulting in a hazy warmth that lingers and softens the cutting dryness of the anise.

LHB is a resolution, an accepting sigh, a dying kiss, an elusive memory or dream, realizing your child has grown and will begin their own adulthood and continue the cycle of life--this is what LHB smells like to me. It's not just the twilight of a day, it's the twilight of life, when we count our hours and wonder what they've added-up to. Who mattered most? What will I leave behind? It's beautiful, sad, but comforting in its quiet way. Like a Debussy song or a found locket from someone's life (and love story) from long ago. It breaks my heart. But I don't mind. I don't mind at all. Sometimes you need to step-out of the current bland rush of modern life and remember that "emotion" is something you should feel deeply. We all need a good cry once in a while, just to remind ourselves that yes, we're still alive. And isn't that an amazing thing.

W B Yeats described the only words for this perfume and they are; Tread softly when you walk on my dreams.

Guerlain L'HEURE BLEUE is such a huge blue statement that I really only wear it about once a year, and then only at home. It's not that I'm afraid to elicit "old lady" comments and puzzled looks. It's just that I find this composition bewitching: cold and almost clinical in the opening, a bright blue light shining into one's soul.

As it dries down, L'HEURE BLEUE eventually melts into a ambery vanillic iris, but the opening is so overwhelming that I always feel as though the perfume is wearing me, rather than the other way around.

It is very easy to overapply this potion. I have both the edp and the edt, and prefer the former, but it is a mistake to spray more edt because it accumulates too quickly and thickly, easily becoming an opaque blue fog. The best comparison I can come up with here is gorgonzola cheese: delicious in minute amounts, at most once or twice a year; toxic if overused!

vuelo
vuelo

I really wished I'd love this, I love the ideea of pre-wars mentality inspired fragrance. But it's not as I expected. Maybe one day my tastes will grow into liking it, but right now all I get is old cosmetic powder with some lilac traces.

Maki
Maki

Oh..what a beautyful fragrance! It indeed IS touching.

I think that the reason why so many people mention the tears that it brings to their eyes, is because this scent seems to bring one close to one's heart.

Asif this scent is telling you that happiness and sadness are so close related, it will make you want to cry and laugh at the same time...

In the very beginning it is moist like shed tears and after a while the powdery drydown wll comfort you and will dry these tears and make you smile...

Very dramatic fragrance in a very beautyful way...!

It has some kind of an ancient feel to it and yet - or maybe therefor - it is timeless.

The feel of 'here and now'..peaceful, melancholy, reminiscent...

No need to talk about notes here...I'd say that Rachmaninoff's Vocalise would be the appropiate music to listen to, wearing this....

Lovely!

Sissi
Sissi

They should renamed this L'heure d'or
(The golden hour) it's too warm to be thought of as being blue' blue is an clinical color and this is not an clinical
scent far from it.
The opening is similar to almost all of the older Guerlains it opens with a warm
Note bergamot and the powdery dry irises'
the lemon dries the the top note with sharp accords.

the middle drydown begins to be sweeter
with the vanilla-like sweetness of heliotrope and orchid to bring a little
exotica to add to the oriental craze that swept Europe and the U.S in the early 1900's' cloves with it's pungent
bitter and diluted sweetness with the presence of jasmine adds with the earthiness.

Carnation with it's spicy sweet aroma
stands it's own with the other stronger notes such as Cloves bergamot coriander
and lemon' the two elusive notes of ylang ylang and delicate rose as it's
shy guests.

Powdery iris starts the drydown i notice amber is missing from the note card and i can smell the warmness of the scent
dry sandalwood makes it dryish and woodish there is a nice musk factor here
subtle but noticeable and Vanilla ends the elegance with it's domineering and a bit masculine presence ends the beauty.

L'heure d'or brings you to europe before
the First world war where it was decadent with artists decussing shocking new techniques can can dancers entertained men in brothels without their wives knowing beautiful sinuous
lines of art nouveau with angels kissing
on the murals of the most elegant hotels
with golden stairways beautiful gold railings white lilies adorned the lobby
women with their finest elegant gown
checks in this Perfume relfect life before the grimiest of war and the art after that took it way forever.

cherubkiss
cherubkiss

The first time I used this perfume, it reminded me of the first time I saw St Marco square in Venice. It was early evening the sun was begining to go down, its evening light was shining on this beautiful square. The experience of this beautiful site brought me to tears, it was a very strange experience. This perfume makes me emotional. it makes me think of beautiful times in my life and of people that I have loved. This perfume to me is so very beautiful. I just wear it for myself and no one else. It is pure heaven.

Srenna
Srenna

Bought this early on when I fell in love with fragrance again. First fell hard when I was like 13-16; stopped giving a damn up until two years ago (I'm in my early 30s).

So I bought this one without ever having a whiff of it because I read somewhere that Kate Moss listed it as one of her faves (sorry).

I loathed this parfum (EDP) instantly. I sprayed a bit on and had to wash it off immediately. Whatever it was, it was too much... OLD and oily?

Anyway, I was going to send it back but I didn't. After a few weeks I tried it again and WOW -- totally different experience? I am awful about describing fragrance notes and so on, but I will say that when I wear it I feel like I'm in a dream.

Gorgeous for the Winter and late autumn.

snchamness
snchamness

I totally agree with Catbiscuit--I can appreciate the artistry of L'Heure Bleue, but it doesn't "reach" me like many of my other perfumes. However, after several tries I have finally learned to enjoy Mitsouko, so perhaps I need to give LHB a bit more time.

(Next day) Decided to give LHB another try, and I think I've found a way to wear and enjoy it, although it will likely never be one of my favorites.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Oh how I wanted to love and adore L'Heure Bleue. I wanted it to bring tears to my eyes & inspire poetry like other reviewers. But I just don't.

Don't get me wrong, I do like it rather well, at least once it gets into the heart. It is classy & elegant, gentle & genteel. It is timeless, not at all old-fashioned. My skin latches onto the smooth vanilla very early making it deliciously sweet. The flowers are delicate & romantic. This is a very nice perfume.

The thing is that it just doesn't connect with me on an emotional level. Or I don't connect with it. Either way, I am heartily disappointed and a little depressed.

clubsauce
clubsauce

I have never smelled anything so hauntingly beautiful and so encapsulating of a time of day as L'Heure Bleue. Words cannot do it justice. Reminds me of something out of the Great Gatsby. Definitely evokes a specific era of perfumery but does not smell like an "old lady", just classic.

oh_caroline
oh_caroline

One more perfume carried on only by it's own lengend.

If this "perfume" wouldn't have "Guerlain- L'heure Bleue" label on the bottle,90% of all who would test it would never buy it.

It smells like acidic soap gone bad+rancid oil bath+dead stincky bugs

Well, maybe in the time it was created, this would cover pretty good the odors of people for who considered that bathing too often was dangerous, and for whom toilet paper and water closet were a luxury reserved for few.

that says all about this "perfume"

sheridanellis
sheridanellis

The latest reviewer of this perfume hit the nail on the head..."haunting". If a perfume can smell like that, then this one does. I tried to wear this perfume and gave it my best effort. I totally appreciate the notes and composition and it is a masterpiece that no serious collection/collector should be without. However, that being said, this caused me to have the strangest reaction to that smell. We already live in a very dreary (8-9 months of the year) place (Seattle/Forks area) and that can be quite depressing. Whenever I sprayed this on, within moments I felt overcome by nostalgia, a feeling that I missed my mother desperately, and I truly not only felt like weeping, I often did. I know that just sounds bizarre, but that was the true reaction this scent caused me to have. It made me sad for some reason, and I don't know why. I love the "Blue Hour" of the evening....that time of dusk that turns everything smokey and is one of the worst times for driving since it impairs your sense of sight. This is a very unusual scent, and I will always love to dislike it on me. :)

Nicole79
Nicole79

I love powdery perfumes....
I test it a week ago in the Airoprt....i was so curious about it...
It is sweet, powdery, dusty, not easy to wear...;(...and another thing...I keep smelling that "oily" note in it, happened the same with Mitsouko...strange, is it my nose or ...has anyone felt it before???!!!
anyway....i must try it again... for sure !!!
It's in the same class with Chanel n 5 !
Both classy, powdery, old Classics !!!

Kterhark
Kterhark

(2008 EDP Review)

To sit with L'heure Bleue is to sit next to a new found lover in a darkened theater, waiting with heated skin and quickened breath for a brush against your hand, indicating that he feels the same.

To smell L'heure Bleue is to smell the euphoria of bride clutching her bouquet, ready to take her vows as the sun sets behind her and the ocean stretches eternally in front of her.

To me this scent is haunted by adoration. This is what I want to be wearing when the casket closes and the final smile fades from my lips.

efm
efm

Beautiful, haunting, charming, subtle.

Not an everyday choice as usually I need a bit more vim and vigour on my side - more overt impact to motive me.
However, I can't think of a fragrance that is more conduisive to contemplation than L'Heure Bleue.

I find it calming. The rose is gentle, the heliotrope provides interest and bergamont gives lift. The base vanilla note is a lesson to other perfumers. The vanilla gives depth without being foody.

I have seen it described as enigmatic. That seems about right.

aromaminx
aromaminx

intriguing and captivating, l'heure blure is absolutely an evening fragrance.for special occ. when you are wearing a sexy ballgown. dressed up for the one you love,but not showing too much skin lol
l'eure is a demure juice and doesn't give everything away in one shot

It's quite intimidating to write a review on one of the world's most famous and well-regarded perfumes. Guerlain's earlier fragrances are all hailed as classics, even though many are hard to find these days.

When I managed to track down L'Heure Bleue, I was both eager and a little nervous based on my expectations and what I had previously heard or read. The first thing I noted, was that it had a very distinct Guerlain vibe about it.

Both Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue share similarities in the top notes. Personally, I believe they both smell like calamine lotion and face powder. This however is not intended to be a negative remark on either fragrance. I find L'Heure Bleue both enticing and unique.

This fragrance certainly radiates a certain sense of maturity and class. In my opinion, it's not something that will suit everyone. It's very difficult to pin-point any particular notes here, as they all blend together to create a powdery and dusty floral with an elegant, old-fashioned aura.

L'Heure Bleue is very 'French'. You'd most likely feel silly wearing this fragrance with a t-shirt, jeans and a pair of flip flops. I'd have to be decked out in an elegant gown with Tiffany diamonds before I'd feel worthy of wearing L'Heure Bleue.

In some instances the rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang and vanilla tend to rise up from the powdery-ness to make their presence known, yet as I said before, this is one well-blended fragrance with no definitive notes. Both the EDT and EDP last considerably well, and the accompanying lotion adds that special touch. I'm actually more tempted to splurge on the lotion rather than the fragrance itself.

The smoothness, sophistication and beauty of L'Heure Bleue is difficult to surpass. 'The Blue Hour' as it has been aptly named, has the ability to capture almost anyone with its binding spell.

How can one descibe this beautiful fragrance in words? When I first smelled this fragrance, I was totally captivated. It made me stand still and so many memories came flooding back to me like a reel of films on fast mode. I find it an incrediblely emotional fragrance that touches the inner soul. It is a true master piece, and smells utterly devine.

milena
milena

I finally have the edp. Like the previous reviewer wrote it is like a twin to shalimar. This perfume is perfect,though from the first spray it did not appeal to me the dry down is very romantic, powedery and long lasting. I put the perfume on last night and it is morning now 'wow' still there I am very happy with this fragrant.This is a heaven made scent.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Thanks to Persephone, a sweet and generous lady, I had the privilege of trying the perfume. I must say it's incredible; it's almost like a twin to Shalimar, at least on my skin.... but it is softer, more romantic; it is the morning after, when the new day hasn't arrived yet... and the night isn't over either.... Suspended in between, l'heure bleue tells you not to think of what happened, not to worry about what's next to come.... just surrender and enjoy the moment...
I just created a new need for me, I must have a bottle of l'heure bleue... one lucky day! A true timeless classic for a good reason.

pansylady

I'm finally sampling this much-loved and respected classic...

The top notes smell pretty medicinal on my skin- like calamine lotion. I recall getting the same impression from La Chasse aux Papillons by L'Artisan.

I'm a little disappointed- it doesn't have the presence that I expected.

Maybe I should have got the EDP instead of the EDP-

I guess I'll have to apply it with a bit of a heavier hand tomorrow, and see if my opinion changes.

Saffron
Saffron

For some reason this makes me think of an old fashioned, more serious and more vulnerable version of Westwood's Boudoir perfume.

Taliera
Taliera

I got mine from The Perfumed Court, an online site that specialises in samples and decants. You can find lots of hard-to-find perfumes there, and ironically fewer of the modern ones!

vioversilver
vioversilver

To wear this perfume is to be suspended in dusk , this is a haunting ,magical potion ..it's not about a personality but time itself,a wistful, very quiet moment in time..
When I first put this on it immediately was comforting to me, I must say.
This almost has a smell of a pastry made with anise ,there's a quiet rose, orchid & jasmine also mingling with the sweet pastry smell ; also something very earthy at the bottom of all this too, so perfect, all the elements here are balanced perfectly.
The anise here is very prominent to my nose, & how I have always loved that spicy, sweet smell! I love the earthy root like smell too, there's a suggestion of chamomile tea also.

For me I can say I find this very wearable, not at all overpowering ,a quiet , captivating scent,a very,very special perfume.I put a few drops of this on my favorite scarves,so I can smell it there .. it really is good for me to inhale this beautiful scent, it may sound silly, but it's almost like aromatherapy!
This was the EDP version.

This would be the first Guerlain I would invest in for sure , for myself.It's gorgeous.

evamoon
evamoon

I own the old version of this fragrance and I love it. This is one of the best fragrances I´ve ever had. I regret that this scent was changed (Now it doesn´t have sillage, depth etc.), because the older version is perfect. Deeply meditative composition.

dgtlsrcrss
dgtlsrcrss

I tried the EDP, and though I first thought it was sort of cloying and plastic-y, I've come to love it over the weeks :)

Now it smells like a pleasant combination of powdery flowers and a tucked-away Indian store. A very beautiful fragrance!

Amarilia
Amarilia

Viveka,what a wonderful review!
Needless to say anything else. You just put my thoughts it to words. I just discovered l'heure bleue very recently, and all I can say is WOW. it just blow my mind away. It is somehow very familiar, yet so unique. I havent ever experienced a fragrance like it before. I must have worn it in my past life, in a 1920s Paris of La Belle Epoque ;-)
L'heure bleue to me is definitely a scent of heaven!!

Pansylady, Thankyou so much for the suggestion of the posh peasant. I was able to procure a sample of L'huere bleue and a few others. I must say I love it.(L'huere bleue) It mixes beautifully with my chemistry. I do not get old lady, powder, or anise. What I do get is a sensous, warm , soft caress Like a velvet and silk blanket. Very beautiful,very sexy and feminine. Tammi

viveka
viveka

I'm really timide to write about L`Heure Bleue. There's no possibilty to find more chic, charming and parisian scent. It's quintessence of parisian soul with splendor of history, Versailles, beautiness. L`HB is like unvanishing allure of past world where's place for opera, theatre, dinners, Marcel Proust, romance, strolls in Palais Royal, le petit dejeuner in Deux Magots, smelling letters from lover...
Its beautiness is hard to describe. There's that 100% unique guerlain-note that I adore, smoked and intime. L`Heure Bleue gives a little touch of retro charm but it's all the time beyond flow of the time.

For me it's unquestioned Queen of Perfume World ♥.

Oh, how I love L'Heure Bleue! It's a deeply romantic and nostalgic fragrance, very old style in a good way. It's powdery for sure and ther is a strong anise note overlooking the whole scent almost until the end. I can smell carnation, heliotrope and iris.The rest of composition is a mystery for me. I cannot point out any other single note.
EdT is quite sharp at the beginning, while the Parfum is more mellow but very intense. EdT has more sillage. I don't know if I'm partial because of the imagery, but this scent is really blue like royal blue mingled with light purple and lilac.
It's truly elegant, ladylike, dreamy. Something that in my fantasy a classical musician or a ballerina could wear along with soft precious scarves and white laces or shiny black at night. Something that I could have smelled on my classical dance teacher back in years. It is a strong scent in any formulation. I can see Michelle Pfeiffer wearing this in her white lace long dress standing on the pier waiting for Daniel Day-Lewis. I can understand that it doesn't please everyone.
Many of these scents were conceived in an era when ladies had lot of time to dress finely and humankind was not trapped in city apartments and crowded offices/transport.
I might add that L'Heure Bleue has kept the original imagery through ads which have never become raw and overtly sexual like Shalimar and this is a plus in my book.

pansylady

Tammi-I googled and found a great supplier of decant fragrances- the Posh Peasant- Abigail(aka Posh Peasant) has a very wide variety of fragrances in lots of different sizes/prices, and I noticed L'Heure Bleue among them- she is very prompt in responding to orders and on-line questions- I just can't praise her enough!

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

I smelled this on several women in the retirement home I used to work in-they smelled beautiful...
This powdery anise floral is an old standard for a reason. I have no problems if someone tells me I smell like an old lady-I have the highest respect for ladies who've been around longer than I have-but of all of the classics I've smelled, I haven't ever recognized one as popular among women of around 70-so that was actually an "aha!" moment for me. Well, if one person tells me I smell much older, that's fine maybe, but if many do, I would maybe wear a preteen floral fruity the next time I'm around them, to throw them off.
It's already the signature of some ladies I know, who have no interest in discovering a new signature. So I will spray this on one more time when I want to think of one of my favorite residents from my first job.

It's a real classic.
Sweet, yet subtle. Eastern and light.
A romantic dream!!!

It's a real classic.
Sweet, yet subtle. Eastern and light.
A romantic dream!!!

alianeblue
alianeblue

This one smells like my grandfather’s old coins collection. It does not have a specific characteristic, it is neither sugary nor fruity, neither herby nor spicy, neither oriental nor citrus, it is just a perfect and well-balanced blend of all these together. Somehow it reminds me to Mona Lisa’s portrait, enigmatic, subtle, fascinating, mythologizing, just perfect. L'Heure Bleue is the most complex pleasant bouquet ever made by Guerlain House.

My Signature fragrance!
I had the amazing experience to have a perfume consultation with Sylvaine Delcourte. She gave me various "accords" to snif, and at the end, it was a composition like L'Heure Bleue.
And it is true, all the fragrances I most love do have ingrediënts in it that you can find back in L'Heure Bleue.

I wear it in perfume and "eau de parfum", at the same moment. It gives so a richer 'bouquet', to do it like that.

Everyone I know, loves the smell of it on me. Mostly they say I smell very pleasent, fresh, unique.

If they ask me then what it is, I tell them it is so called fragrance for woman. But I don't see it that way. A fragrance you love, you wear. Male, female, it doesn't matter. To define what is a Male or Female fragrance is so individual. Marketing tells or nose a lot how to behave. Once we are aware to tell our nose that all fragrances are possible for everyone, we do find a lot of nice suprises. Woman who wear Habit Rouge, Guerlain Homme and I, wearing L'Heure Bleue... .

Frenchie-Loveday

This is one of the loveliest of perfumes, sprayed onto your fan in the summer then you can smell it all the time. Also pop onto some cotton wool and put into your bra, again, heavenly wafts of perfume and the warmer you get the more you can smell the perfume...an old perfume that does not have that awful synthetic smell that so many of the new perfumes have. Lanvin's Arpege and elsa Shapperelli (cannot spell) Shocking are another two delightful warm perfumes. Then finally add Patou's 1000 to the list of floral perfumes...the joy you get when you smell an old fashioned rose, freesia's and sweetpeas..is the same sensation you get when you smell any of these wonderful perfumes.

rainbowfrog
rainbowfrog

when in this perfume , i feel like walking in the golden shining grass field. some smell of citrus flowers brown by the wind .

pansylady

I don't get it- I've read lots of rapturous reviews- but to me, it smells medicinal- still, it has a charming and intriguing bottle and label, and I ordered a sample so that I could plumb it's depths a little further- so I may have more to say later-

Sassy1
Sassy1

I'm not a big licorice fan but the opening has just enough anise to make it interesting. This topaz elixir definately lives up to it's reputation. Soft and sultry, smoky and mysterious. Made for special nights and getting close. It lingers on the skin just long enough to remind you of the time you spent in it's full embrace. Stunning.

Mals86
Mals86

I tried the edt version of this first, and was appalled. My test notes (yes, I am a geek, I take notes!) say simply, "Hell's medicine cabinet." There is an aromatic, powdery sharpness to the edt concentration that was very unpleasant to me. Scenthound's review below was spot on: "punched in the face by an old lady with money."

Then I received a sample in a swap, and although its concentration was unlabeled, it was clearly different: a deeper color, with a much less obtrusive scent in the vial. So I tried that one, and promply fell in love. L'HB is just lovely in parfum: smooth, with a balance between the coolness of anise and the warmth of tonka bean and vanilla, as well as a delicate balance of sweetness and dryness. The powder element is not overwhelming in the parfum, as it is tempered by the spicy notes of anise and carnation, and by the rich vanilla. And although orientals can sometimes be too much for summer weather, L'Heure Bleue wears beautifully in the heat, so long as it is applied delicately.

People, I will say it yet again: PARTICULARLY with older classics from Guerlain and Chanel, try the parfum before you go snarking off on the scent as being awful. It's not a guarantee, of course - Mitsouko still hates me, and Joy parfum is still all dirty panties on my skin - but you've got a much better shot of seeing what others see in a classic, if you try the stronger concentration.

Flybethy
Flybethy

My very first try of this fragrance today and immediately I'm on the Orient Express, in the bar carriage with soft piano, heady wine, good cigars and inky black countryside rushing by. I wouldn't be wearing it myself but sitting near a beautiful woman who is and it's in the drapes and the marquetery and the pleated silk of the lamp shades. Lovely and nostalgic like coiffed hair, paste diamonds and matt ruby red cupid's bow lips.

vena w
vena w

Lovely,lovely fragrance that smells softly spicy/powdery on me. Wore it years ago (in my early 20's) and am getting ready to re-kindle my romance with it. Pity the price is so much higher now...

RaeSofSunshine
RaeSofSunshine

This was my grandmother's favorite perfume. She wore it almost every day for the better part of 50 years. As a result, I always associate the scent with her, comfort, and joy-filled times. I have two empty, vintage bottles that were given to me after she died many years ago. They still carry the scent, though they've probably been completely empty for more than 20 years. To be fair, I can't speak to the scent itself in any unbiased sort of way. I can only say that I love it completely.

Despite such a strong association with my grandmother, I wouldn't describe the perfume as smelling like "old lady." I think it's a very classic scent, flowery and romantic and very French (in the best sort of way)... and yes, with a hint of high-quality face powder. An old gold and enamel compact that I have, which has probably been empty since the 1930s has a similar powdery smell to it.

Miss Bloom
Miss Bloom

Another stunning masterpiece from the house of Guerlain.
This fragrance is so beautiful it is almost indescribable. It is light and airy, yet very longlasting and tenacious. Powdery, and most definitely nostalgic. Floral yet not sickningly sweet, and very very grown up. It is a classic. Timeless and elegant, quiet and meditative.
I love this on a crisp winter day but then I would wear it anytime. A little goes a looong way. The sandalwood note really blooms on me but is tempered by the exquisite fruits and florals.
It smells like I would imagine heaven to smell, like the breath of an angel.
Heavenly.

Spring25
Spring25

I recently got to try this beautiful fragrance in a swap with a generous fellow Fragrantica member. I don't quite know how to describe this scent, but it is unforgetable. It's powerful, yet quiet. It seems to take me back in time, but it is also up-to-date. I guess melancholic would be the one word that best sums it up, as it really invokes a mood. Whether you end up liking it or not, this one is a must try. It's unusual and exquisite. It seems timeless. If it were a painting, it would be a masterpiece.

essija
essija

Just not my scent. Floral/Powder on me. Lots of Iris. Softer scent though.. Hopefully I won't get too much attention wearing this as I really don't like it..

Petula30
Petula30

I owe it, I love it but I can´t wear it.It settles lovely on my skin but I´m alerted all the time and aware of this haunting, dreamy scent.I hope that one day I´ll be wearing this perfume feeling comfortably because it deserves a woman who can wear it without any hesitation. Till then I quietly envy all you ladies who have no doubts.

Auguszta
Auguszta

I couldn't agree more with Belle de sud! I get funny looks wearing this, but that certainly won't stop me from doing so. It's slightly soapy on my skin but apart from that it's just perfect - beautifully melancholic and somehow wistful. It does conjure up a different world (in which I feel totally at home) but by no means would I call it dated. It doesn't smell like powdered old ladies covered in lipstick well past its sell-by date, it smells like history. Try this if you're ready to take a wonderful journey back in time.

Soft, slightly powdery, feminine. It does not smell of the lovely "Blue Hour" of twilight it was created for, but it is softly pretty. Dry down brings more tonka and benzoin notes and there's a delightful powdery opoponax that I love. (I do hate baby powder scents, so this is not that kind of powder.)It may appear a bit dated, as it's from 1912, but the history and enduring popularity give it a gloss of intrigue.

belle de sud
belle de sud

J'Adore! Mysterious, unusual (does provoke unkind comments from those who insist a woman must smell of flowery sweetness only) A true classic evoking the twilight and a romantic melancholy.

mymlan
mymlan

This is the most beautiful and longlasting fragrance I've ever had. I found L'Heure Bleue at the local shop which was unexpected as I didn't think It was available in the Swedish maket at all. The scent is sweet, little spicy, powdery, mystifying and alluring. It's a wonderful princess in a velvet dress, lost in the northern woods, mirroring herself in the deep and muddy forest lake. She's worried, thinks she's alone. But while mirroring herself she sees her true spirit comes through and she feels calm and confident.

This perfume is in perfect balance: it is floral but not too floral, it is spicy but not hot and the powdery musk, sandal and vanilla in the base is never left alone.

I think every woman should have a bottle of l'Heure Bleue for special and intimate occasions

KalteStern
KalteStern

Compared to some of the Guerlain classics, this doesn't seem as overpowering in terms of immediate attention grabbing top notes - powdery floral initially which quickly develops a note like incense, with a quite animalistic middle note (maybe Musk?) after the first few minutes. As an unsubtle teenager I was unimpressed by it for that reason.
But be warned, it quietly builds and builds until no-one in the room can smell anything else, and this effect lasts for hours, at least with the actual parfum, although the EDT may not be quite so extreme.
This might or might not be a good thing, depending on the context - I don't shy away from announcing myself in an olfactory way, but I would be very wary about wearing it to work

Nuppu
Nuppu

Strong, yet comfortable, powdery, iris is about only thing I can separate of this lovely old gem. This one gives you old movie ginda of glamour (womens in tight waisted, tailored suits, powder puffs, garterbelts, cigarette holders, arched eyebrows giving deep looks) although it was made well before movie golden times...

F_A
F_A

One of my favourites for special occasions:) Just love the sweet powdery flowers it has, makes me feel so romantic and special....

Mitsouko

Great, magic fragrance. Somewhat powdery. On special, not necesarrily- officials, occasions. When I'am it perfumed,air become as blue well...

Mitsouko

Great, magic fragrance. Somewhat powder. On special, not necesarrily- officials occasions. When I'am it perfumed,air become as blue well...

Gwendolyn
Gwendolyn

This fragrance is the most beautiful in the pure perfume range. Gentle and beautiful.

scenthound
scenthound

There must be something wrong with the plumbing in my nose because I tried this at the Guerlain counter based on Luca Turin's review in his book and I felt like I had been punched in the face by an old lady from old money. It was that overpowering. I will have to swing by the counter and give it another sniff (and this time wait for the dry down), because my first impression was: this stuff stinks to the high heavens.

jeca
jeca

Yes, this fragrance is great! Vanilla is so light, floral note are so powdery, pleasant, so radiant fragrance

2007
zoka
zoka

It is a very fair and romantic image of blue evening ;o) Powdery, light, longlasting...

2007

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain 4.19 out of 5 based on 1692 ratings and 327 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain L'Heure Bleue fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain L'Heure Bleue, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.