Designers » F-H » Floral Green « Groups

Liu Guerlain for women
dislike

aldehydic
Liu Guerlain for women Pictures

Liu by Guerlain is a Floral Green fragrance for women. Liu was launched in 1929. The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Guerlain. Top notes are aldehydes, neroli and bergamot; middle notes are rosemary, jasmine and rose; base notes are iris, amber, vanilla and woody notes.

Aldehydes Neroli Bergamot

Rosemary Jasmine Rose

iris Amber Vanilla Woody Notes

Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette

Liu Fragrance Reviews

lelumia
lelumia

The dry down reminds me so much of Une fleur de Cassie...

Jonni51
Jonni51

This review is for the new eau de parfum from the Les Parisiennes collection.

Now, this is a very interesting beauty we have here, let me just say!
I acquired my bottle today, and as of yet have not been able to test it directly on my skin.
I only dabbed the stopper on a piece of paper as a little test run.

While Still wet on the paper card, Liu sure does remind me quite a bit of Chanel's iconic N5.
Sooner than you might think however, the warm and resinous guerlinade accord kicks in and I'm instantly reminded of yet another huge classic: Shalimar.

It's like a calmed down version of Shalimar smothered by a big dollop of N5.
This phase doesn't last very long. Liu swiftly dries down further, leaving the N5 and Shalimar notes no more than supporting backbones in the shadow of a glorious fusion between moss, wood and dried rose petals.
Liu now seems to have taken on a much "darker" approach all of a sudden.
Together, all of the different phases makes the lovely Liu come across as a mix between N5 for the aldehydes and flowers, Shalimar for the warm vanillic touch and something akin to Vol de Nuit for the woody/mossy tones.
Still, it's mostly N5's aldehyde sparkle top gradually shifting into a dark green mossy/herbal (rosemary)? dry down with traces of the opulent guerlinade holding it together.

Liu may very well include some of the elements belonging to these other classics but as Liu begins it's transformation in the dry down, you will begin to see how unique and complex Liu's beauty is.
This is one dry down worth experiencing!

When placing Liu and N5 next to each other Liu comes off as quite a bit darker and drier compared to N5.
Liu is also unisex to my nose, much more so than N5.
The notes pyramid doesn't really do it any justice either.
Liu is a very complex scent to me, with many layers.

I can't wait to see how it will evolve with my personal chemistry and I'll be back to update when I find out.

PS:
Luca Turin apparently labeled Liu as one of the dullest of the Guerlains.. Pfft!!!
What does he know, right?!
Liu is a gorgeous beauty! Right up there with the other classic Guerlain staples.

One more thing, just because Jaques Guerlain MIGHT have been inspired by Chanel N5 to make Liu does not make it bland or unworthy.
Not everyone can be originals! At least Liu is a great rendition of the aldehyde theme!
Besides, Jaques made sure to put his signature Guerlain stamp all over his creation.
Liu and N5 might be related in many ways, still I would surely never confuse one with the other!
You can just tell that N5 is a Chanel and Liu is a Guerlian!

Decent lasting power, it's been well over six hours and Liu is still here.

jujy54
jujy54

The drydown is much like some vintage fragrances of mine, notably Antilope, My Sin, and Miss Dior. Don't tell me there's no oakmoss. Whatever it is, it's nice to have in a contemporary fragrance and I'm sure Guerlain's not telling (;

stormyla
stormyla

(EDT in vintage Black & Gold Box)

This fragrance is incredibly lovely. It's not as spicy as Mitsouko or L'Heure Bleue. With my chemistry this scent is very comfortable, sort of like an old friend who really understands you.

There is nothing loud or powerful about the EDT. It has great longevity but wears very close to the skin. There is something crisp and fresh in this juice that is lacking in Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue. The sibling status is very recognizable though

Unlike some others here, I can't wear Chanel No 5 in anything but pure extrait and don't find any similarities to the Chanels at all. This fragrance gives me a really nice vibe, sort of sympatico maybe.

*sophi*
*sophi*

Intense aldehydes in classic form with strong woody notes.
The opening of the green juicy citrus and neroli, is very similar to Chanel 5. It has also a strong presence of the rose which makes it somewhat different.
As it dries, woody nuances govern over all other notes ...it has a deep and dense base composition.It's strong and long lasting.
Classic , elegant and timeless fragrance.
This year's Celebration edition in a bottle with pump and an ethereal fragrance with shimmering aromatic body powder looks amazing!
It will be released as a limited edition.

ND_ND_
ND_ND_

(Current EdP review)
Its opening is quite similar to Chanel No5, but the drydown is cleaner, woodier than No5, and also can feel guerlain's vanilla in the drydown

Lady Love
Lady Love

( Reissued 2009 Review )

This is by far the best olfactory reinterpretation of Chanel N5, so much better than a lot of n5's wannabes fragrance out there, like Le Dix, First by Van Cleef.. And the List goes on...

Jacques Guerlain cut all the heavy stuff (Sandalwood, Civet, Patchouli and oakmoss) and slow down the aldehyde levels from the original N5, this makes liu more tender and wearable fragrance.

You will experience an obvious comparison between Liu And Chanel N5 Eau Premiere. In my own personal opinion I see Liu a little more true to the original N5 than the Eau de Premiere.

Overall Eau de Premiere and Liu smell similar but there are important differences. On one hand there's liu placing more emphasis on Neroli, hints of soft Woody-Vanilla, and the typical Guerlain Orris note. And in the other hand ylang Ylang, vetiver, neroli and lemony notes shine more on Eau de Premiere.

This beauty is definitely recommended to Chanel N5's lovers.

Kterhark
Kterhark

(Second review)
I pulled my first review because i've now sampled this for a month.

This opens heavy, which I was not expecting (with the aldehydes and begamot); and stays heavy throughout. I suspect rosemary is the reason, which tends to sink on me.

I'm not sure I would call this a floral green, but an 'herbal' green. I had a similar experience with Miller Harris's Fleur du Matin, which also has lots of herbs.

I like Liu, and wouldn't mind owing a small decant of it. I find this scent helps with concentration and works well on a cold, winter day.

I can't see this being mainstream popular, though, its too different. I'm tempted to say this would smell better in a potpourri jar than on my person, becasue it sits right on that line. It's only because I like everything going on outside of the rosemary that I can recommend it.

Liu by Guerlain 4.45 out of 5 based on 94 ratings and 8 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Liu fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Liu, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Liu by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Liu by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.