Designers » F-H » Oriental « Groups

Mouchoir de Monsieur Guerlain for men

Mouchoir de Monsieur Guerlain for men
dislike

Mouchoir de Monsieur Guerlain for men Pictures

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain is a Oriental fragrance for men. Mouchoir de Monsieur was launched in 1904. The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Guerlain. Top notes are lavender, lemon verbena and bergamot; middle notes are tonka bean, patchouli, cinnamon, jasmine, neroli and rose; base notes are iris, amber, vanilla and oakmoss.

Lavender Lemon Verbena Bergamot

Tonka Bean Patchouli Cinnamon Jasmine Neroli Rose

iris Amber Vanilla Oakmoss

Jicky

Mouchoir de Monsieur Fragrance Reviews

KJS88
KJS88

Torn between love and hate for this perfume; there's a bad breath note in this (fake civet?) that just ruins it. However, I have the benefit of being intimately familiar with vintage formulas of both Jicky and Mouchoir.

It may actually surprise you to know that the vintage formulas are actually *significantly* less fecally animalic and have no bad breath note. At all. They're deeper, richer, and muskier, but they don't have any breath funk whatsoever, and don't make you think 'yeesh, dirty' when you smell them.

Theirry Wasser, who is currently reformulating the already several-times-reformulated classic Guerlain lineup, explained that Shalimar, Jicky, and Mouchoir all do in fact smell more fecal-animalic and lewd today than they did in the past, and only half as rich, because the quality and quantity of rounding ingredients has been made impossible to achieve these days by IFRA.

I believe he's reformulated Jicky Extrait recently: picked up a newish looking tester and sprayed, and it smelled like the breathy-fecal note had been edited out, while the whole composition seemed richer than it has smelled in a long time. It doesn't smell like a truly vintage Jicky, but it does smell a lot better.

Hope he does the same for Mouchoir, I really miss the old Mouchoir--many special memories attached to it.

Dodgy
Dodgy

Love this and hate it too...

Bought it a week or so ago and, on spraying (sparingly, having been warned by posts here) thought,"Oh, nice, citrus, lavender"...then, after 30 seconds, or so....eurgh!!! Cow Byer, halitosis, wino that I sat next to on the bus...

Truely hideous, filthy and noisome.

Thank goodness it settles down after a couple of minutes to a much more respectable, masculine, floral scent, with just a hint of animal, like the smell of a puppy's ears, still haunting it.

can't decide if part of the pleasure of wearing this, though, is the relief when the overpowering animal notes subside.

Still, like the faithful disciple, I understand that if this fragrance disturbs me (and it does) then the fault is mine....Messrs Guerlain may do no wrong.

jtd
jtd

Maybe it's some weird human drive for finding distinction, maybe it's simply the result of having more perfumes than I could ever imagine wearing in a lifetime, but I find myself focussing on the qualitative differences of some very similar perfumes. Guerlain Habit Rouge eau de toilette and eau de parfum. The same for Guerlain Insolence. Serge Lutens Féminité du Bois, Bois de Violette and Bois et Fruits. I’ve found themes that I like and now I'm looking for the variations.

I've gone backwards historically, starting with the Sheldrake/Bourdon perfumes for Lutens and going back to the ones that started the trend: Guerlain’s Jicky (1889) and Mouchoir de Monsieur (1904). The contrasts between Jicky and Mouchoir play out as the differences in temperament you might find between twins. These perfumes differ in degrees of expansiveness, but have more similarity than difference. But when resemblance is taken for granted, the differences jump out at you.

(A note about formulation. I have the eau de toilette of Jicky from 2005, and a brand-new bottle of Mouchoir, also eau de toilette.)

Both perfumes have a rich, almost tactile quality but Jicky also has a cat’s poise, an active balance that might shift one way or the other on a whim. Jicky’s play of lavender and vanilla seems to sparkle, suggesting something fluid and always in motion. Oh, Jicky has its raunch. The civet note is neither subtle nor hidden, but it's playfully lewd. Jicky seems very aware of its shifty personality, and may play any side at one time or another to charm you. Mouchoir speaks with the same voice as Jicky, but is more reserved. To use a word that I wish had never fallen out of use, Mouchoir is melancholic. Where you can take the entirety of Jicky in in a single breath, Mouchoir takes a bit more commitment. The effort pays dividends, though, and wearing Mouchoir rewards you with a sense of groundedness and presence.

Is Jicky simply a less uptight version of Mouchoir? Or is Mouchoir a more introspective version of its impulsive elder brother? To look at the two more specifically as perfumes, Jicky leans more toward the oriental genre. It is thicker and more voluptuous. It's dessert qualities are right on the tip of its tongue when it kisses you. Mouchoir, particularly in its basenotes, has the austerity of a chypre, emphasizing dryness over dessert. Accordingly, it's basenotes growl where Jicky’s purr.

Only the most sensitive nose around you will likely spot the difference in these perfumes from one day to the next. Deciding which to where is far more important to you than to anyone around you. And here is the delight of these twins. Choosing the right one and feeling the satisfaction as I apply it feels like setting loose the butterfly effect on my day.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

A timeless sensual twist on the "eau de cologne" theme. A salty diagonal accord which goes from Guerlain's animalic richness (Jicky) to still safe citrus-lavender-vanille cologne territories, suddendly falling down a weird purgatorium of patchouli, warm resins, luring spices, narcotic jasmine and gorgeously deep oak moss notes. Finally re-emerging in a clean, safe, elegant and soothing eau de cologne - like nothing happened. The libertine, morbid, filthy, dandy lascivious brother of an eau de cologne. Superb!

deadidol
deadidol

This particular hankie’s a bit of a stinker, but that’s what makes it compelling. It cranks up the civet of Jicky and adds a hint of mustard gas (a sort of ammonia / sulphur / pissy trio). This part’s handled somewhat cordially, but I think it would still scare the chickens. The rest of it is a bit of a standard-issue old-school aromatic—the lavender / vanilla / citrus hat-trick, yet more restrained. So, at first, MdM feels a bit like an inverted Jicky, but after ten minutes or so, it mellows into a weirdly subdued musk thing that makes me think of crumpled newspaper, dust, and old chewing gum. In this respect, it’s conjuring more of a headspace than a fragrance, and the space I imagine is one in which some super sketchy stuff went down. Although I dislike the boring aromatic part, I’m all about the creeper musk.

pianomanmiller
pianomanmiller

Call me weird but I'm drawn to skank! And when I say that I don't mean funky BO or the such, but the idea of something not being pristine. I've never liked the idea of my cloths looking brand new or my shoes to look like they are fresh from the box. I don't know why. Now, don't take me wrong. I'm a very neat dresser and my wife is FAR from what you would even remotely put in the category of "skanky". I just like to come across as "real" a guess. So, it goes the same with fragrances. I have a lot of perfumes and I love them all, but I lean to what smells "human". Kouros, I love it. Hammam bouquet, very intriguing. Just ordered leather oud so we'll see how that turns out.
With all that said, I love this fragrance. I love the opening "skank". It just makes it real to me for some strange reason. I love the dry down. Everything about mdm is just amazing to me. Yes, it's close to the skin in silage but that's cool to me. I think it's supposed to come across as a "hint" rather than a smack in the head.

majestic mammy
majestic mammy

For the love of Jicky! This is Jicky's little brother. So nice. I really love this one. So much so, I wish to one day own it and It is a gentlemans parfum.

It is a fascinating classic. A wonderful Guerlain masterpiece.

tkomaigo77
tkomaigo77

There is nothing quite like this out there. The juxtaposition of filth and elegance make this cologne unique and irreplaceable. Sweat, piss, vanilla and lavender. Every bit as enjoyable and disgusting as sex. A must have.

jht4060
jht4060

Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur is an enduring classic so I suppose there must be something to be said for it, but to me it seems like a mild (albeit elegantly mild) and forgettable classic style cologne (bergamot, lavender, neroli, tonka, oakmoss) with a strange dirty top note that lasts the first few hours. When I first smelled it I found this note disquieting but interesting, but then I made one of those olfactory gestalt associations and now it smells like vomit to me. Vomit not as pejorative but as descriptive - that unique bile acid scent or whatever it is that makes vomit smell like vomit. Once I made that association it locked in and now I can't stand Mouchoir. I feel like a gosling imprinted on the wrong object - owner of a fairly expensive bottle of eau de vomit. I wish I could replace the association with that of Jacques Guerlain's mistresses' backside, it sounds more alluring.

Apparently most others detect this note much more sympathetically, so don't let my experience stop you from trying this classic.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

It opens with a rather unpleasant note, but this doesn't last long at all, however - just upon initial spraying - and the narrative moves on to a rather dusty antique floral of lavender and iris scent that stays close to the skin. As time passes, the vanilla note becomes more noticable.

It's not bad; I do feel dressy when smelling of it - but it's not my thing. I prefer Guerlain's Heritage.

UPDATE: I have sprayed this on myself a few more times. I no longer find the initial spray unpleasant; I've grown used to it.

pronose
pronose

another gem killed by Guerlain house! since lvmh took over guerlain house the scents are changed and not lasting anymore! shame on you we are not dumb!

new friend
new friend

عطر موشوا دو مسيو
منذ أربعة سنوات وانا أبحث عن هذا العطر الذي يفوق في ندرته وندرة أماكن بيعة عطور جيرلان الحصرية باهظة الثمن.
أطلق هذا العطر سنة 1904م والأنف وراء هذا العطر هو المحترف جاك جيرلان، والغريب أن هذا المحترف لم يؤلف عطرا رجاليا لدار جيرلان سوى هذا العطر "بحسب علمي" على الرغم من توليفه لعدد من العطور النسائية لنفس الدار، ويجسد عطر مشوا دو مسيو "منديل السيد" ما كان يجب أن يتحلى به النبلاء والرجال بصفة عامة خلال هذه الحقبة من الزمن "وربما في كل وقت" من قوة وصرامة وجرأة ، فجاء العطر عاصفا قويا يطيح اللافندر في افتتاحيته بكل ما حوله من مكونات بل وبكل حولك أنت أيضا من روائح، ويظل الحال على هذا النحو دون أن يفصح العطر عن شخصيته الحقيقية وعن بقية المكونات لفترة من الوقت قد تمتد لربع الساعة بعدها تبدأ الحمضيات في مزاحمة اللافندر بعد معركة رهيبة صمد خلالها اللافندر وحده وبقوة تعبر عن نقاءه وقوة تركيزه التي ساعدته على الصمود طوال هذا الوقت، ولذلك وجب التنبيه أن من لا يتحملون العطور القوية الصادمة في افتتاحيات العطور فلن يتحملوا هذا العطر ولن ينتظروا ليكملوا معه بقية الطريق ولكنهم سيرفضونه بعد أول خمسة ثوان على الأرجح وسيكون انطباعهم عنه انه (أسوأ عطر في العالم كله" وأن عطر كوروس من ايف سان يعد نسمة لطيفة إلى جوار هذه العاصفة التي لا تهدأ، 20 دقيقة تقريبا ويبدأ البتشول في التعبير عن وجوده ويبدأ مسار العطر عندها في التحول من الحالة العاصفة إلى حالة التموج والتنوع ما بين حار متبل عندما تطغى رائحة القرفة والتونكا وحال الوداعة والرقة مع وجود الأزهار الناعمة المتنوعة وايضا لا مانع من صعود اللافندر والحمضيات بشكل خافت بين الحين والآخر، وكأنك تتأرجح في ارجوحة كبيرة ترتفع لتصدمك بالأجواء الباردة القوية ثم تهبط بك إلى منطقة مشمسة ساخنة وسط بستان ممتد الأطراف تكسوه الأزهار والورود، واعتقد أن حرفية جاك جيرلان اعتصرها اعتصارا ليخرج قلب هذا العطر بهذا الشكل الإبداعي المعبر عن حرفيته وقدرته بصورة تمثل تحديا واضحا منه لأقرانه من مصممي العطور، وبعد فترة ليست بالقصيرة يبدا طحلب السنديان في الظهور وكأن هذه المنظومة كلها قام جاك بنقلها ليضعها على أحد الشطآن لتكتمل اللوحة التعبيرية المحفورة بذهنه عن هذا العطر، وتمتد قاعدة العطر بنفس الفكرة المسيطرة على عقل جاك وهو يصمم هذا العطر، وكأنه لا يريدك أن تستقر على حال أو تطمع أن تأتي بغيره من العطور كشبيه أو مثيل أو بديل له فتتقلب القاعدة وتموج من بين الهدوء والقوة ما بين زهرة السوسن والعنبر من ناحية وطحلب السنديان الفيتيفر من ناحية أخرىن العطر يصدر الآن على هيئة ماء تواليت ولا أعتقد أنه يمكن أن يكون أقوى من هذا الحال حتى يصدر كماء عطر
العطر يمثل دعوة عامة لكل محبي العطور النادرة الكلاسيكية
ولكني أعتقد أنه لن يتعطر به إلا عدد محدود من ذوي الشخصيات القوية التي ربما تحمل مزيجا من الصفات المتناقضة

marioslg3

If you see my first review below, you will wondering why i write a new one.
The story starts at the office, one day we were discussing some perfumes with colleagues. i told them that there is a Guerlain that it stinks, smells like shit powdered. All asked which is this perfume and i promised to bring a sample at launch. When i returned to the office with the sample and gave it for a try, i was impressed by the reaction...words like "strange, nice, attractive and very nice" were among those expressed. I really wondering what is going on with this perfume...it is THE controversial perfume...it stinks, it smells, is nice, is shit, is sweet is dusty, is flowery is animalic...definitely a great creation but out of date. Personally, i am not the kind of man who has boundaries on perfumes...i wear everything that is not common but i still try to understand if i like it or not, if i love it or hate it, if it smells or stinks...definitely, i will give it a try on the skin and will see what i get....maybe i buy it soon...or today.
The whole thing starts dusty floral and then, civet vanilla and other spices come into the game. the best phase of this perfume is the middle and drydown. There you will smell what this perfume is....the overloaded civet with its sweetness, spiciness...what else to say? A pure man's perfume, the beginning of the century...you have to own a classic beautiful car like an Alfa Romeo, dressed with scarf to be chic, have a pencil moustache like a true English gentlemen, be manly handsome like Clarke Gable and behave with the rules of savoir vivre...At least this perfume does not smell like all other and more than anything else, like 1 million....oh god! you dont smell it in the streets, in the office, in the parties, in the restaurants, in the bus, in the garage, in the theatres, in your friend's house....
How does it smell like? it is like you have spilled some honey from some flowers in an ashtray where there is some dried pee from the previous day....
this perfume to stand in our days where everything is dominated by the fresh "out of shower" smell for men, is very remarkable....try and then you buy...dont buy if not try but you can try and not buy. :-)
definitely a winter perfume, you cant wear civet unless the temperature is 14C or less.
UPDATE: you cant imagine how this perfume changes when there is cool outside...maybe the bigger change in the perfume industry. once i sniff it in summer, it was very suffocating and disgusting giving you the impression of a very strong animalic scent but when i read some review the last weeks, everyone was say how beautyful is...and there it is.
it is indeed very beautyful and unique. i haven't checked Jicky so far but definitely i will do so once i have the change. The only problem which was mentioned is the starting, the first 5-10 minutes although the citrus and lemon verbena are very pleasant, they is something very dusty that makes it dated in a way....once this is passed, then you are left with a lovely lavender and vanilla with civet giving warm to the bouguet. The longevity and sillage is not so good and stays close to the skin after the first 1-2 hours but a perfume like this, cant be so strong because it will destroy everything.
I believe that the current reformulation lost a lot of civet together with longevity...indeed, the longevity is nearly bad and i cant understand why. About two years ago, when i first smelled that, it was a monster...now what is going wrong, i dont know....maybe power was sacrificed for the versality.

MarkT
MarkT

Time. We do not have enough. Time to move slowly, gentleness with great power. Time for a luxurious shower, time to properly dry off, crop the disorderly whisker at the corner of the lip. Time to take a few sprays of Mouchoir de Monsieur then contemplate the day's outfit and draw your mind into focus while the discordant elements of cat piss and acrid lavender, rough workmen, assemble the most refined assemblage of jasmine and rose. Perhaps that white necktie really will work with that shirt?

Rose, jasmine, two of the floral kingdoms most distinctive notes, are bound together by the perfumer's art as Plato's charioteer harnesses reason and passion to drive onward towards enlightenment. The soft under-notes, barely detectable tonka and civet, order the floral scents and speak of control and authority over nature and beauty, recalling the classical manhood of the master and commander.

Perhaps the most masculine, and yet softest, scent in my collection. Minimal silage, though, having a rather independent streak, it has a tendency to take a short stroll on its own now and then, inevitably resulting in at least a glance and a smile that shows appreciation for your keeping such good company. While discreet, Mouchoir de Monsieur is indefatigable, applied in the morning, enduring a day in the office, a trip to the gym and a quick shower, I can take my evening repose with the faint and reassuring air of knowledge that I rest as the master of my domain.

Lovely stuff, highly suitable for enthronements, inaugurations, third dates, promotions, and any other event for which you will be knowingly fabulous. I think a mere mortal might exhaust himself with the effort of wearing it too much. This could not be my signature scent unless I had a full time valet, dresser and driver. But if you can wear it now and then, you should know that you have what it takes to get it done as a man.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Probablement le parfum masculin le plus féminin.
Mon Gendarme de mari n'osait pas le mettre... Tant pis pour toi mon bébé... C'est bibi qui en profite... (Iris, crois-tu que je puisse diriger une équipe d'hommes en portant Mouchoir Monsieur ? Mais bien-sûr mon chéri).
C'est vrai qu'il fait très dandy, un je-ne-sais-quoi d'Oscar Wilde, du moins dans le style dandy dont je l'imagine.
Jusqu'au jour où il l'a redécouvert et là... Ce fut la révélation pour lui. Aux orties ma virilité mal placée.
Depuis, je me suis remise à Jicky et à Vol de Nuit. Hé oui... ;O)

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

This surely must be the softest and most luxurious fragrance for men of all time. From the fruity lavender top to the dusty ambered base, this fragrance awes with its subtle beauty. This is something to the effect of Chanel No. 5 for men in its perfect sillage and refined character. The lived-in skin feel of the fragrance portrays something akin to cleanliness without being too clean, an effect that is universally irresistible to all people around you. Its subtle sweetness reaches out to others very gently and draws them in. Perhaps others don't even know it's a fragrance. I have never received more compliments with any other fragrance than I have with Mouchoir de Monsieur. This is by far the highest expression of men's perfume I've ever encountered. It's a shame that it isn't marketed better. I just hope Guerlain never decides to pull the plug on this one.

Wear exactly 5 sprays to get the perfect dose. It is an EDT, but it wears a bit like the classic Guerlain EDCs(namely the Jacques Guerlain classics in EDC strength). You will immediately be recognized as the most tasteful individual in the room.

marmalator
marmalator

I feel very ambivalent about this classic. It is undoubtedly a very fine, unusual creation. Vile civet opening which smells very faecal and musky. But it shortly transforms into a stupendous rosy, lavender scent. Multi-faceted and uber-sophisticated. Sometimes I love it; sometimes not. It is an acquired taste. It does grow on you. The packaging is gorgeous, as you'd expect from this house.

What stops me from rating this more highly is its hopeless projection and poor longevity. I know my skin type is not great for projection. But I have to use 10+ sprays to have any chance of it lasting or being noticed by anyone else. And, whilst it's not super-costly, it's not exactly cheap either.

I have received compliments from this scent though.

A fickle friend I feel.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

Opening the box you are presented with a gorgeous bee styled bottle which is worthy of keeping after the juice inside is gone.

I drenched my body all over with 12 sprays (why not lol) and waited. It opens with a musty lemony lavender and the fragrance is extremely subtle and stays close to the body even after 12 sprays.lol

It stays like this for a half hour and I was trying hard not to come to judgement to quickly which I'm glad I did not as after that half hour the magic happens.

The fragrance then unfurls into a symphony of notes. It gets slightly sweeter in powdery way and floral, I take another smell and I start to pick up different aspects of the symphony of notes. I could smell patchouli and some woods and a lot of fragrance notes constantly shifting and moving upon my skin in harmony. Wonderful

It's amazing that a fragrance that starts off not to pleasant with the lemony lavender mustyness can unfold into a lovely orchestra of notes. I have had to re wire my brain differently in the way I judge fragrances as this scent seems to work completly differently to the usual modern day fragrances.

Though the fragrance is very subtle and close to the skin it is a highly tuned fine piece of work that shows its magic after the first half hour. I'm impressed and will have to check out more old style Guerlains to see if I get that magic. Wonderful stuff!

jgirgar
jgirgar

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this bottle at NM this weekend. I only thought it was at NM in SF. I tried it immediately, since it's been over two years since I tried it there, I remember it just the same - short lived on my skin. For this reason I could pout! I really wanted this to last on me, it's truly a beautiful scent with such wonderful history - I guess I'll give Jicky a fresh try along with Caron Pour Homme. I have the hardest time spending good cash on something so fleeting. Maybe it lasts better on clothing? JG 042312

Rating: 8/10 for longevity but 10/10 for the fragrance!

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Funny, I have the complete opposite reaction to alfarom. I think MDM is much "skankier" than Jicky. I adore Jicky; it has been my favourite since the 70's. Up until recently I didn't appreciate MDM as I thought it was just a Jicky flanker, and I didn't like the off note of civet in it. But...after having identifed "skanky" recently as being a slightly faecal note, and, surprisingly, liking it, I have found that I really like this note in MDM. It doesn't actually develop until about half an hour into application, and I think that it is the first half hour when it smells just like a watery version of Jicky that made me resent it, for trying to copy J. This would be fantastic on a man...well, it's fantastic on me & I'm a woman. I'm glad to have a decent decant in my wardrobe.

le mouchoir de monsieur
le mouchoir de monsieur

Jicky, who was already considered slightly irregular from birth, has a renegade young brother called MDM: He insists it be pronounced "em-day-em" regardless of which country he's tearing apart with his inimitable allure. It is often said that the devil is a charming man--and as many would have it, he can really dance. Accordingly, MDM skips merrily into all the best parties, dancing with all the finest ladies, cavorting with the highest ranking gentlemen; chatting ernestly with interesting-looking unknowns. MDM would never wait in a queue, inexplicably looks dashing barefoot in a running suit three days unwashed, and even more spectacular in black tie: His sartorial choices are always unexpected. MDM is the one who will show up impeccably turned out in a Brown Tux, pulling that off famously. In hushed tones, it is said that he is a bit of a scallywag--yet only the chosen few know of his secret passions, while most everyone else considers him entirely untouchable: A study in blithe well bred aloofness. However; the seemingly distant MDM has been known to entertain devotees with his body in very unusual places, since there are so many admirers, and so little time: He's tall, dark and handsome--and only looks like Sister Jicky in proportion. He has his sister's wildly inbred proportions and singular facial features, but his colouring is distinctly different: Where Jicky got mousey medium ash blonde hair and blue-green eyes, MDM got ebony hair and chestnut eyes along with the family skin, inherently colorless. MDM's thick black hair is so luxuriant that he wears a full beard at all times, allows the hairs on his head to become long and full of ringlets, further contrasting with his sisters fine English straight hair, and staunchly disdains body epilation. He's Jicky's dark, hairy little brother who ravages everyone where ever he goes with no remorse whatsoever. He goes by, and his odor reminds you of his sister, inexplicably detained in a brothel where benzoin and amber incenses and pastilles are burned pretty regularly to hide the smell of Opium. All the family traits are there--MDM is every bit as fascinating as his sister, he's just a rake: He smokes various things, drinks whiskey straight up, and, whilst maintaining an unfailing gentlemanly air, he will shamelessly enthrall fans with his body for hours only to saunter out unbathed looking perfect to meet another one he intends to enthrall in public, never once wondering if a bath would be in order. He carries the smoke aura of his various haunts on his exquisite wardrobe, and always has a bit of a sebaceous smell along with it hovering about his neck: Oh! and, of course, there's also the bit about MDM's handkerchief, which he is never without. The Handkerchief of sir, very obviously soaked in English Lavender, will invariably also contain the remnants of a lover he wiped off with it, and the heady whisky soaked, smoky saliva of his mouth. If you want Jicky to have a louche brother with the morals of a demon who just happens to be stunning and impeccably clothed, never predictable but always polite, even in an orgy or a bar brawl, who's seen at all the right parties secretly en route to the most highly coveted and secretive wrong ones,
then this is your man: Naturally, as would be expected, MDM himself won't be had by just anyone--but one can always try. MDM's wanton ways may work in your favor, but only if you know the right crowd; Even this man's tricks are fallen, penniless aristocratics on a bender. For MDM, the merely average wouldn't ever figure into his considerations: He's perfectly unacquainted with mediocrity and has little time and even less interest when it shows its face. Unwavering in the realm of perfect manners, MDM would never insult you. It would just appear that he hadn't noticed your overtures, especially if they were obvious. Furthermore, MDM doesn't hang around anywhere for too long. Just when you think you might get that chance, you turn to dazzle, and he's gone--leaving behind only his signature waft of scent: the sebum of in-bred aristocratic oil glands scantily moistened with English lavender Water...Very much as happens with Sister Jicky, most can not decide if they find this pleasant, they are simply left behind by it, flummoxed by a kind of fascinated longing......

Often described as Jicky with more civet but to me it is exactly the opposite. Resemblance to Guerlain's masterpiece from 1889 is clear but the civet in MdM is definitely toned down. The initial blast could result challenging to someone but the strong animalic aspect of the opening is quite efemeral leaving quickly space to a polite, yet incredibly satisfying, lavender/guerlinade fragrance of immense beauty.

Old school, dandy-esque, compelling and extremely solid but when I'm in the mood for a classic lavender, I stick with the skankier Jicky.

Rating: 8.5/10

jrichart
jrichart

Mouchoir de Monsieur, estilo gentleman por excelencia, yo tengo veintiún años y hace unos seis meses que pedí una muestra a the perfumed court y he de confesar que a primera olida me pareció un olor casi fecal, esto era debido a la nota de civeta que lleva este perfume, pero luego evolucionó y evolucionó hasta confinar con el secado y ya es cuando me dí cuenta que se trataba de un perfume de un refinamiento abrumador casi aristocrático y muy Guerlain, este refinamiento casi aristocrático únicamente lo he encontrado en pocos perfumes, de los que yo he probado claro, estos podrían ser Equipage de Hermès y el mismísimo Habit Rouge de Guerlain. Como aporte final, en mi humilde opinión este perfume me recuerda algo a Caron pour homme. Este último lo recomiendo encarecidamente, un excelente combo de frescura de lavanda y cálida vainilla atemporal para diario.

marioslg3

This the most strange perfume I came across for the last years....It does not smell, it stinks. It starts so dirty and animalic that your wondering how someone can wear such a perfume. Later and when the perfume dries on the skin, it terns to be soapy with some dirty citrus slightly sweet. If you have not tried it, give it a try. It is something that you never smelled before. Beyond amber, I was definitely that there were some animal resources there but in any case, I never expected such ingredients. It is a pure man's perfume but not for the younger crowd. You get something attractive at last but also something dirty/smoky/vanillic with civet although is not listed in the ingredients. Kouros is another one animalic/civet perfume but this is much more difficult to wear than Kouros. Try it but be careful because maybe you will sleep outside during the night because your wife will not allow you to enter the house. the last years with all these new citrus/clean/fresh aquatic perfumes, make this to be one of a kind and something that will never be produced again. Someone who likes jardin du nil from matre parfumeur et gantier, may like this one also.
UPDATE: Obviously, the perfume was tested in wrong weather....and there, it stinks...try it in cool weather and you will be amazed how things change......in hot weather, the civet seems too strong and the perfume suffocating

jaro
jaro

the original scent was very similar to the famous Jicky - which, incidentally, could definitely be worn by men as well! - only with ampler, richer headnotes, particularly lavender and bergamot. And, like Jicky, the heart is a powerful symphony of jasmine and rose with a somewhat peppery edge...The long lasting notes, however, remind me more of Habit Rouge with their hint of vanilla, though I think on can perceive the presence of tonka bean as well. A gorgeous, wonderful fragrance for men, but quite pricey. I have not smelled the new formula mentioned by Playpause, so I cannot judge...

playpause
playpause

Powerful and mysterious, Mouchoir de Monsieur is a classic Guerlain scent from the beginning of the 20th century. The formula has changed since the recent reissue, and the frangrance has lost a little warmth and deepness. Yet, it remains a very unique mens perfume, old school but extremely chic.

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain 4.52 out of 5 based on 138 ratings and 26 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.