Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

Myrrhe & Delires Guerlain for women and men
dislike

smoky
Myrrhe & Delires Guerlain for women and men Pictures

Myrrhe & Delires by Guerlain is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. Myrrhe & Delires was launched in 2012. The nose behind this fragrance is Thierry Wasser. Top notes are bergamot and grapefruit; middle notes are osmanthus, jasmine, rose and violet leaf; base notes are patchouli, incense, tonka bean, vanilla, myrrh and licorice.

Bergamot Grapefruit

Osmanthus Jasmine Rose Violet Leaf

Patchouli Incense Tonka Bean Vanilla Myrrh Licorice

Pretty Swan

Myrrhe & Delires Fragrance Reviews

StopHammertime
StopHammertime

I find this one very interesting. The only 2 notes I get are myrrh and licorice. Mostly licorice, of the Lolita Lempika variety. The myrrh is slightly sweet and very dusty. I think these 2 notes combined are so unique and pretty. Longevity is all right, a few hours. My biggest problem is projection, which is much too soft. This is very much a skin scent. I'm not asking for a sillage bomb, but they could kick this up a notch or 2.
EDIT - WHY IS THIS SO SOFT?!?!?!?! Been wearing this for a couple days and I just love it, this is probably my new favorite of the 'resins' category, if I could only SMELL IT without having to heavily concentrate on the applied areas! Pouty face.

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

I'm not that overawed by the Guerlain House, all their history and oceans of releases can be really overwhelming for 1 looking for a quick fix but with some Quality to it.

So it's a nice surprise I can say for me this is possibly their Best release and a complete scent.

It's beautiful, mysterious yet safe and even a little simple.

It's a regal blend of rich, appealing sweet gourmandy notes that doesn't take a dare with an oddity or a polarising theme like maybe an 'oil' note or saffron.

It's rich and resinous right from the opening with deep licorice and a sweet floral with a dash of the grapefruit. Rose is a perfect complimentary floral that's safe and just gets better with syrupy sweet waves of opulent tonka and amber.

Everything is rich and full-bodied rather than the anemic greens or other oddities nearly every other Niche I've tried begins with. There's a very faint touch of violets which I normally cannot stand and I pick it up here, so I'll take a point off for that - but it thankfully doesn't detract from the main accords. It may have put me off buying the full bottle however.

Guerlain has chosen to use grapefruit here as the offsetting citrus instead of the millions of orange/mandarin you'll almost always find in gourmandy Niche scents.

This works very well, making the sweetness sparkle rather than add an aromatic scent/accord of its own.

I don't get any smoke or insence from my sample, which was a bit disappointing at this price but maybe or some more wearings I might find it.

In short; an upscale mix between their L'Instant homme and Dior Homme (non-intense), which is very nice but I would have liked a dark chocolate hit maybe as a bonus.

Everything in almost perfect balance. The licorice can get a little deep or powdery even, but that's natural for the note.

However, I still feel this could have had more strength, as it does tend to lift and fade a bit too easily on Spring day.

Sadly, this also merits a frowny face. While it's real Quality and for me their best release, they charge $300 for it. For 75mls of it.

I really feel they should have given us an Extrait level of strength for this price and presentation, it's a major point only because of price point and I think they should respect that.

So sadly, I will have to be sticking to only my sample as the bottle is obscenely expensive, one of the most on the standard markets.

I hope they consider a 'refiller' bottle re-release or even a 50ml release a bit like Agonist have done for those who do not need extravagant presentation.

These Exclusive Haute releases seem to find a favorite for everyone and it's testament to their Mastery in Perfumes why the house has such a reputation, even now with all the Corporate interferences.

And this is solid good,, try it!

My rating: 8/10.
Quality: 10/10.

Ludicolo
Ludicolo

Wow... This one is REALLY beautiful!
It is like nothing I've ever smelled before, honestly.
Totally not at all how I expected it either, as I was picturing some burnt, harsh, manly thing..
M&D couldn't be any more different though!
To me, Myrrhe & Delires smells like an old fashioned, dark chocolate bar filled with the most decadent pineapple cream.
I can even picture the golden, coppery foil it's wrapped in.
How charming!

I don't know why I smell pineapple in this one, but I do.
It has to be the bergamot and grapefruit, but it smells so much more like pineapple to me.
At any rate, this is simply a GORGEOUS perfume.

EDIT: Silly me! It's the osmanthus I'm smelling!
That has to be where the tropical pineapple element comes from!
And I thought osmanthus were supposed to smell like apricot...
Oh well -
Apricot or pineapple, same difference!
All I know is that it's this tropical, fruity tone (osmanthus + citrus), that has Myrrhe & Delires transformed from simply "good" to absolutely gorgeous.
This is a scent with several layers, it's not a linear one for sure!
As all the other releases from this line, M&D lasts for a very long time and projects really well.
Bravo Guerlain.

All of the L'Art et la matieres are absolutely splendid, but M&D, SDV and Cuir Beluga are def. my favorites.
10/10!

smile4thecamera
smile4thecamera

My husband recently surprised me with a bottle of this lovely perfume. Wow! I love the resinous quality mingled with the violet leaf and rose. This lasts forever on my skin and is a huge compliment getter for me. Especially from DH! M & D is a rather big oriental with the patchouli helping immensely to anchor it to the skin. My skin wears patchouli well, so this is a big plus for me. I can't recommend this enough if you love big resinous perfumes with a little powder kick at the end!

drouhin
drouhin

A lovely, delicate fragrance based around myrrh, which is one of my favorite notes, especially in winter. It's a like for me, not a love, however.

I live in a cold climate, and cool temps and dry skin mean I need a winter fragrance with more powerful projection -- otherwise, it sits about a millimeter above my skin and is hard to enjoy.

If you're looking for an office-friendly myrrh, however, Myrrhe et Delires's polite sillage certainly fits the bill.

kazewayz
kazewayz

This of course is a quality perfume. Guerlain makes quality perfumes yes, that last long and are well blended. But do I like their scents, do they really satisfy my nose? Most of them no. This one was kind of a yes and a no. It's very sweet and balmy. It's unisex. It can become more manly if mixed with a good leather scent. Beautiful bottle. Try it.

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

this is so wearable to work daily..... and yet interesting and uncommon. LOVE.

isenseincense
isenseincense

Its taken me a while to fall in love with this...and to be perfectly honest I wish I hadn't, given the price.

I got a 10ml decant as it has everything i love. At first I think I was disappointed as the sillage is very moderate, sits very close to the skin on me. but actually I think thats one of the reasons I now love it. I don't really wear perfumes for anyone else but me these days and so why would I want to make people around me sneeze?

I want to feel enclosed in a beatiful aura of magic and this is it.

Better get saving deffo full bottle worthy

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Wasser is really great.
Joining myrrh and licorice is a great idea, but if you know what are you doing.
Aroma opens through sparkling, fruity and I already feel the touch of osmanthus which is much more sweet fruity, refers me the raspberry, peach, characteristic of that plant.
Earn More in creaminess and when it arrives at the base myrrh gives the guys with their bitter touch, balsamic balancing and contradicting with the liqueur and sweet touch of licorice discreet perfume which blends seamlessly almost smoky with a woody touch
Is the most versatile of this line, M&D is excelent, I don´t know but also reminds me of apricot, delicious, majestic and brilliant.

I had largely given up on Guerlain, but a fellow fragrance traveler was kind enough to send me a sample of MYRRHE & DELIRES, which I am happy to report is much better than the other members of the Arts et Matières series familiar to me. Some of those perfumes I positively disliked; others I simply found disappointing. There is no plastic-gourmand amalgam in this particular composition, thankfully, and the unsweetened licorice bark note is really beautiful. Given the texture of this perfume, I'd have guessed that there was ambergris in the base--and perhaps there is.

MYRRHE & DELIRES is only going to appeal to those who like the scent of black licorice and reminds me of salted Dutch licorice, more specifically. I hasten to add, however, for those not familiar with salted licorice, that this is much, much less sweet and much, much more complex than LOLITA LEMPICKA, probably the most famous black licorice perfume around. This creation really smells niche, while LOLITA LEMPICKA is sweet enough to be toeing the line between celubscents and mainstream. The big virtue of LOLITA LEMPICKA, given its low price, is the miraculous fact that it does not smell like a synthetic nightmare and is instead a pleasure to wear--at least on occasion.

Of course, MYRRHE & DELIRES would have no excuse for smelling cheap, since it's certainly not, but I've learned from past experience that there are enough disconnects chez Guerlain these days--whether because of its management by LVMH or the uneven creative directorship of Wasser, or some combination of the two--not to expect anything. So for me, MYRRHE & DELIRES is a pleasant surprise, a genuinely enjoyable, high-quality and original woody oriental perfume. I do believe that this particular creation from what to me has been an uneven series deserves to survive.

Time will tell, however, whether the marketing gurus at Guerlain or LVMH will decide to prioritize fine perfumery or continue to focus on serially disposable flankers and regrettable reformulations at the mainstream designer level.

orchid_84
orchid_84

A lovely, resinous-woody take on licorice. Myrrhe et Delires is a little along the lines of what I had expected from Lolita Lempicka in terms of the balance of licorice and earthy notes. In LL, I find that the licorice smells rather sweet, thin and powdery. Here, the licorice has a subtle sweetness, but it's balanced with a more full woodiness. There is a subtly salty, woody undercurrent that reminds me a little of the dryness of Ambre Sultan. This also has a nice darkness anchoring the unusual scent of the licorice, and the spicy greenness of the violet leaf blends in very well with the myrrh. Having said all that, this isn’t my absolute favourite offering from Guerlain’s L’Art et la Matiere line.

cedriceccentric
cedriceccentric

The top reminded me of the Guerlain's Attrape Coeur/ Guetapens opening. It's a soft slightly spicy oriental with a sweet peachy note (osmanthus). The violet and the licorice further sweetens the formula. This is balanced with a base à la Bois d'Arménie, but done in a more "airy" way. There is definitively a Guerlinade in this one. Maybe it's the violet, but I really smell iris and musk as well.

Ideal for a grey, wintery day

daniela3
daniela3

This seems to be a new possible direction that Maison Guerlain has taken: indeed this fragrance is so different from their previous classy and traditional ones: no more 'guerlinade' and their 'famous vanilla' is rather undetectable here. This is correct - after all - Thierry Wasser has a different signature compared to that of Jacques Guerlain. (This is not either a critic or a comparison!) In any case it doesn't have betrayed the old style. Not indeed. Lovely and really above any genre: is it thought for women? No, certainly. Is it for men? Not, exactly. As usual it must suit you, this is the main rule, for me, being my skin so subdued to Guerlain'frags it's a sort of 'predicted marriage'.....

I've only a pale deja-vu, as it reminds me the vintage Balenciaga's 'Quadrille' though the latter was more pronounced and may be I've just a fade memory of it.

Good persistence, 'very polite' projection and sillage. The dry down is comfortably tendre, NOT childish, anyway. If you like good patchouli notes, you should try this, as the patchouli used here, is remarkably gentle, up-to-date but 'natural', even though not hippy-style, at all if I can say.

3 billions thanks to you, my dear Kosmoskukka, for this beautiful, fragrant surprise! ; )

fishmerised
fishmerised

The jasmine and patchouli notes are similar in Gucci Rush, I never would have noticed had it not been mentioned. (They both contain stone fruit so that may contribute as well)

The lemon and licorice blend well together but don't dominate. The myrrhe, osmanthus, patchouli and jasmine stand out the most to me, in that order.

edit: After a few wears I am loving Myrrhe & Delires (I call it my Myrrhe and Delicious). It is on my fav 5 orientals list. The whole composition compliments the myhrre so well, I feel it was made in heaven just for me. Don't be put off by references to Gucci Rush, it's like comparing apples and oranges, they are not alike, they just share a few notes is all.

ps. This is called unisex but that is stretching the envelope a bit. I would love to smell this on a guy but I think most would find it too sweet to wear, what a shame, it smells so sexy.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

A positively lovely skin scent. It reminds me of a sweeter, more floral Coromandel. Far too sweet for me, but fantastic nonetheless.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

It has been a long time since I have been truly enthralled by a fragrance. This is an exceptionally well-crafted perfume; the warm spices melt into the almost incense-like myrhh, creating an irrisistible desire to keep sniffing the aroma. It remains close to the skin, not overwhelming, but creating a warmth and softness. Bonus; it is also long-lasting: 8 hours on skin, longer on clothes.

TDS
TDS

The top notes sparkle. The bottom notes seduce. This is blended so beautifully, it's almost as if you're smelling it for the first time, even though your bottle is half empty. Applying this fragrance is always a surprise, followed by delight, ending in a feeling of luxurious sexiness!

sehaman
sehaman

Quick sell for me, too. One sniff and I was sold. I really enjoy unisex fragrances and this is particularly nice and interesting. It has this old-tobacco-shop-in-Hong-Kong smell. I live in a tropical climate, and this is holding up well in the heat and humidity, too.

CastoR&Pollux
CastoR&Pollux

well - maybe not exactely like a baby

BUT....

had the chance to smell it saturday - rare to fall in love with a perfume these days but i did from the very first moment the lovely lady sprayed it onto my wrist - ordered and bought within 2 minutes -

great work mr wasser

Myrrhe & Delires by Guerlain 4.15 out of 5 based on 141 ratings and 19 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Myrrhe & Delires fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Guerlain Myrrhe & Delires, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Myrrhe & Delires by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Myrrhe & Delires by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.