Designers » F-H » Floral Green « Groups

Purple Fantasy Guerlain for women

Purple Fantasy Guerlain for women
dislike

coconut

Purple Fantasy by Guerlain is a Floral Green fragrance for women. Purple Fantasy was launched in 2001. Top notes are orange, coconut, green tea and bergamot; middle notes are apricot and jasmine; base notes are sandalwood and cedar.

Orange Coconut Green Tea Bergamot

Apricot Jasmine

Sandalwood Cedar

Red Jeans

Purple Fantasy Fragrance Reviews

miss mills
miss mills

I had this sexy little number back in around 2001 or 2002. I remember buying a twin pack in a Boots' sale in London and completely falling in love with it. The memory I have is a sharp green violet mixed with coconut, absolutely unique and divine! I wish it was still around, I'd love to snap up another bottle of this gorgeous, slightly Victorian gothic juice, yum!

StopHammertime
StopHammertime

Jasmine is a big player in this one, followed by sandalwood and coconut. It smells like something I would wear to the beach. Very soft, it wears very close to the skin, and doesn't last very long. For me, this is a huge dupe alert for Salvador Dali's Dalimania. Like Dalimania, I find this average and not offensive, but not something I would wear.

samloves
samloves

My friend kindly gave me this perfume as I'm a real coconut fan but i didn't get any coconut in it. Nothing special in this perfume except for the bottle itself. Not surprised its discontinued.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

I cannot for the life of me smell any coconut in this. Or powder. Or green tea or apricot either. It is a sweet woody scent of no particular interest. Thanks to Yamba1 for the opportunity to try this, but it does absolutely nothing for me. The bottle is beautiful though.

Plamka
Plamka

When i read " woody coconut" here i thought hmm, probably another bad suprise for me but what arrived was a gorgeous sparkling light fragrance :) I wouldn't imagine "purple" smelling like that, i smell coconut and fresh peach in the opening. More cedar than santal to my nose. It actually smells clean, soapy at a point, in a couple of hours smelled the same way as when i iron my laundry- cosy and clean. I sprayed it yesterday afternoon and woke up to find the dry-down on me with quite a sillage! I can now officially say Guerlains have the best dry downs as this is the 3rd time i fall in love with the dry down and they were all Guerlains. I am thinking this would make a perfect bridal perfume,i would love to wear it on my wedding day!
This somehow has the same effect Chanel poudre has on me, without saying they are alike, just cosy clean, vintage, powder.

Actually this smells like a mulberry tree in the summer heat.

Missem
Missem

It sadddens me that this fragrance is no longer available. Silly name, beautiful bottle, incredible scent! I have a nearly empty bottle that's over ten years old now, I can't bring myself to use it as I can't find it anywhere and never want to run out!

Soie
Soie

I recall this as starting out with citrus and an unexpected note of green tea, and then, over the course of a few hours, evolving into fragrance of cardamom, sandalwood, coconut, apricot, and osmanthus (AKA tea olive blossom, which is not included in the above list of notes).

The drydown is warm, rich, and somewhat gourmand due to its notes of coconut and apricot being quite noticeable.

It didn't come across to my nose as smelling "purple" but rather more of a 'golden tan' if anything, because of the warmth of its drydown.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

I think it smells very purple. I read here that it didn't, so I wasn't expecting it and kept saying to myself that it didn't really. Oh yes, it does. It smells like purple flowers, probably grape hyacinth. I know, I don't see it listed, but I can't shake the image and idea of them. I sprayed this on and I'm jonesing to buy more itty bitty beautiful bottles. Then it faded quite quickly, within two hours and I was waffling. But...I would get these tantalizing little stray whiffs even at the end of the day. Rather a puzzling scent, I don't get any of the notes clearly except sandalwood, and some I don't get at all. I think some of the notes morph together to create something new. I sprayed it again and I'm jonesing for more. This could be Guerlain crack.

Dollhearts
Dollhearts

You can buy it off eBay @wedding13
This reminds me of a lighter version of Jeux de Peau, but of course it's done in the usual year 2000 era of fragrances they produced back then.
Just lovely, gourmand and delicious!

wedding13
wedding13

I love this perfume, I would have to say I would travel the world for it. I found a online store around 7 years in the UK and brought 2 bottles but now I can find it anywhere. I am getting married in March 2013 and am wanting this perfume right or wrong. Does anyone know where I can get it????

aidaida
aidaida

Exquisite. Have I found my signature at last? I'm not sure yet, but it might be the one :-)

I think it's typical of Guerlain. A real Guerlain. A close relative of Samsara or Instant magic, the delicate features of this noble family are clearly recognizable.
(reminds me of Armani Lei too. Lei is spicey vanilla without any sweetness, Purple fantasy is spicey coconut and sandalwood with a little sweetness. But Purple fantasy is more refined and complex.)

Tea note is noticable, and bergamott makes the composition a little bit harsh at the beginning. And it's spicey, a little bit masculine, but I don't know what kind of spices they are? White pepper? Nothing like this is listed among the notes. Later it becomes powdery and very delicate, with tons of sandalwood and gentle coconut. Soapy, but without a detergent-like pungency. Isn't there some levander too? Or is my nose totally misleading me? Well, it doesn't really matter. Purple fantasy isn't as gentle and smooth as Samsara or Instant magis is. It is a little bit more easygoing and fresh, but in a "Guerlain-ish" way. It has depth. It tells a story. I think it's my story :-)

krmarich
krmarich

I had my hands on a bottle in a closeout store in 2003 for $10 USD! I wondered what was up with such a classy perfume? I thought I would wait. Indeed, I just found some vintage for $60 on e-bay last summer. The bottle alone is worth it!

It was the final launch from Guerlain proper-I will mention the improper later. Its bottle was a tribute to Apres L'Ondees. Fine art! I expected violets. There are none. Instead there is this stream lined heart of Samsara. Jasmine and almost too much sandalwood infinitum. There is nothing purple about it, except the package. It should have been called Stardust Memory. It is the last real perfume from a mighty lineage.

I will wait patiently for the corporate shackels to be broken. Until then, I have a very large collection of vintages that are to me, priceless!

kadriela
kadriela

love love love it best perfume ever

Goldfinch
Goldfinch

I have a little decant of this one. When I first applied it, I beat my brains, what PF remembers me of. NOT of Alien, for sure. Today I smelt it again on me, and the drydown of Chanel Allure EDP came into my mind. After the first ten minutes it's exactly like that, just less strong (at least on my skin). For me it's no problem, because I like Allure EDP, but it's a bit too much for me. Here, in PF there's no vanilla, I know, but I feel the same creamy-powdery fruits, and flowers lingering around me. I like this one more than Allure. The bottle is beautiful. I'm sad, it's discontinued.
Update: I have a full bottle now, the package is beautiful. I like the scent, too, but I don't use it too often, unfortunately it's boring after a while:(...

UPDATE2: In love again:-), it's a keeper to me.

elusivek
elusivek

I don't think of perfumes in colors so I can't say if it smells "purple".

On opening I get sweet, floral,fruit, tea, citrus, and powder. At first I didn't really know what to make of it. It's almost like a bunch of people talking at one once, you can hear all of them but not make out what any one person is saying.

It takes about 10 minutes before I can decifer it. At that point it's a sweet bright floral with a twist AND a kick.

You get the jasmine, light bright and beautiful. You get the apple which gives it a crisp, slight green note. The orange gives it tang while the apricot gives it sweetness. I applaud their use of the coconut. It's not done in an exotic/beach type of way. Instead, it adds a totally intriguing note that piques your interest but is not dominant. The tea gives it some depth and helps to transition as the perfume progresses to the woodsy base.

To me, the progression of this scent is like the sun's progression on a beautiful day. The opening is the early morning, fresh and bright. The middle is still bright but a bit more intense, though not too warm but does get a bit blindng at it's height. Then it progresses into the peaceful sunset where it slowly fades away.

It's a modern floral with some interesting elements. I have to concur that it would be better classified as floral fruity than floral green.

Like other Guerlain offers, this changes as it progress and you have to see it all the way through before you form your final opinion on it. I like the opening (after it settles a little) but at the height of it's mid stage, it does get a touch cloying and too sweet for me but once the cedar and sandalwood emerge and carry it home (long journey as the perfume lasts and lasts on me), it's pleasant. If it wasn't for such a long lasting woodsy base that tempers the floral, I would not wear it as it would end out being too bright a floral for me.

I find it an interesting choice to put such a modern smelling scent in an antique style bottle. It's kind of cutesy. Between the bottle and the lightness or lack of complexity, I can see why some didn't take this scent seriously. Not to say it's not pleasant but it's not typical of Guerlain imo.

misssy9
misssy9

gorgeous fragrance!!!I feel like i am in a fairy tail wearing it.The smell is really purple.It has nothing in common with Alien.It has its own unique style and smell.+++++++

Jana1984
Jana1984

This is a wonderful, so sophisticated scent for me from the XIXth century...

If Guerlain's PURPLE FANTASY was a commercial flop, it can only be because the name drove women away, for the fragrance itself is beautiful. I must confess that even I, a bona fide Guerlainophile, approached PURPLE FANTASY with some trepidation. What could it possibly be? Something sweet and fruity along the lines of Victoria's Secret's many fragrances with similar names? (think: Very Sexy, Super Model, Oooh la la, Sexy little things, the list goes on and on...)

Far from it, in fact. PURPLE FANTASY is a spicey, slightly fruity floral, to my nose. In fact, I would have categorized this as oriental fruity. I do not agree with floral green, for PF opens very spicily with a gentle fruitiness dominated by the bergamot, which is not sweet at all. Then, all of a sudden, the beautiful jasmine floral makes its presence known, mingling with a subtle dose of cedar and sandalwood, creating a lovely, lasting layer that is very different from the opening, yet equally appealing.

There is no syrup here; no grape; nothing that the name might suggest: loudness, brashness, cheapness--these are all absent. I believe that if this fragrance were re-launched under a pseudonym, it would succeed.

The presentation, by the way, is delightful. The little 1oz ridged cylindrical bottle is fashioned out of smokey purple glass, and it comes wrapped in a thin mesh bluish-purple bag with blackish-purple silk drawstrings, all attached at the bottom to a deep purple satin covered stand. All of this purple, conjoined with the disastrous name, no doubt kept buyers away. But this is a fine fragrance, as one might expect coming from the unsurpassed house of Guerlain!

RedGarden
RedGarden

i agree that its not have any common with Alein!!! ..

its very old fashion - have a lot in common with Femme by rochas

allexa27
allexa27

this one smells really purple.to me is not similar to Alien at all.They dont ave anything in common.This is sweeter and warmer than Alien and it smells like there are violets in it.it reminds me a lil bit of Ultraviolet.Not that it is bad but It is a dissapointment from Guerlain.no wonder why it was discountinued!

eskarina62
eskarina62

I would agree with glitteralex that it is similar to Alien, only it is MUCH better. At least to me the discontinuation of Purple Fantasy cannot be thought of as a flop - Guerlain do that all the time.
I Love the apricot and jasmine that blend SO perfectly well with the coconut and the orange, which stay, to my nose, for quite a while, that the smell of sandal wood and cedar in the base is not overpowering - in fact they just add to the sensation of a very feminine smell with an unforgettable sweetness.
Pity it is SO HARD to find.
Shame :-)

glitteralex
glitteralex

This is an Alien by Mugler analogue-sweet, syrupy, grapey. It was a huge comercial flop and can be found for quite cheap. Pretty bottle.

Purple Fantasy by Guerlain 3.81 out of 5 based on 136 ratings and 22 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Purple Fantasy fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Purple Fantasy, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Purple Fantasy by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Purple Fantasy by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.