Designers » F-H » Chypre Floral « Groups

dislike

honey
aldehydic
Rose Barbare Guerlain for women and men Pictures

For the event of opening of renovated main boutique La Maison Guerlain (The House of Guerlain) at 68 Avenue des Champs-Elysées, Paris, Guerlain launched exclusive line of three perfumes – L 'Art et la Matière (The Art and (raw) Material, a pun after the French expression L'Art et la Manière – the art and manners). Three famous noses were invited to work on the perfumes using the highest quality materials. The perfumes were launched in 2005.

Rose Barbare (Barbarian Rose) is devoted to rose – intensive, intoxicating, and passionate wild Ottoman Rose. The composition includes aldehydes and rose on the pad of sharp-sweet notes (‘honey chypre’). The beauty of rose is accentuated by spicy grass notes and elegant thin base accord. Rose Barbare is an endless sea of roses with heavy velvety petals. The perfume was created by Francis Kurkdjian.

Aldehydes Rose

Rose Fenugreek

Honey Patchouli Woody Notes

Rose Barbare Fragrance Reviews

rossyegio5
rossyegio5

Francis Kurkdjian ha preso il suo Absolue pour la Soir, favoloso, lo ha alleggerito di cumino e spezie ed asperso di petali di rosa. Il risultato è una bellissima rosa, dorata, leggermente mielata ma non cremosa, vagamente speziata. Equilibrata ed elegante.
Romantica e di gran classe.

christianne1
christianne1

Lovely, restrained rose that is subtle and elegant and a bit reserved. The quality is apparent. The rose is red and velvety but not dark. A little sweet but certainly not overly sweet. It stays close to my skin and I would consider it a polite fragrance. Nothing much to dislike here but I personally like my rose with a little more oomph. But for those who like a simpler rose that isn't just strictly a soliflore, this is a beautiful, safe option I think. Although an expensive one.

the_new_esta

The more times I sample this in store, the more I really want it...

RiqueSchiavon
RiqueSchiavon

Roses covered by an infused honey with patchouli. Complex and elegant but very timeless in my opinion. Neither past nor present can define it. Golden.
Final notes:

Fragrance:10/10
Longevity:10/10
Sillage: 9/10

the_new_esta

This fragrance is not new, however it is not around anymore. It kind of reminds me of the 90's, but extremely classy. It's super duper long lasting - but that's not exactly a plus if you're not fond of the scent. Definitely try it out before purchasing, but it would be a nice luxury self spoil or present for a loved one.

Olka
Olka

I love rose, but this fragrance is just not for me. I feel it as plain and with no volume. Feels like just one single note that almost does not change with time. It lacks something. Rose is good but there is some other note that i dislike. May be honey. However, if you like stable quiet long lasting fragrance then this one may be for you. It's suitable for office use and it's also unisex. So it's very balanced.
And nothing barbaric about it at all. :)

emily7
emily7

This must be a peak for every rose person - The Rose with many beautiful, different facets; from unpretentious tea rose, to glorious, luscious, thick, buttery petal rose, ending as solemn, dusty, dark chypre rose. Serious, grand, mature, complex.
But, I am not moved by it - Rose Barbare, Portrait of a Lady, Villoresi Donna - nothing, sorry. I guess you really must love rose to be able to fully appreciate such heroine (or heroic?) roses.

Me? I will move on to graveyard roses, Oriental roses, funny roses, quirky roses...

amaraztavich

And shame on these ebayers selling this for around 400 when its sold brand new for 250, obvously trying to take advantage of people that dont think to look outside of ebay. And I LOVE the fact that everyone comes to fragrantica before buying an expensive perfume, for several reasons but mostly I love that advertisments for that perfume with the REAL price for everyone tooo see

amaraztavich

Ive never sampled any perfume that was so interesting yet so boring at the same time. It is a gorgeous honey dipped rose which doesnt sound knew and idk if its the addition of aldahydes that had pushed this rose into the next millenium. But it really is quite uniaue. Really such a simple idea that was just never brought to light until now. I live it but I would never need more than a large decant

babyfae
babyfae

Name definitely suits the composition. It is a thorny, "barbaric" rose that comes alive from the first page of an old book in the library. I appreciate the quality ingredients, but it's not my style. I have a 10ml decant for $30(which is below cost) if anyone is interested.

chirobi
chirobi

I never tire of rose scents and was eager to try this one. Unfortunately, the aldehydes were just too prominent on my skin and it doesn't lighten up until hours later.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

This hit me between the eyes with a big cloud of powder out of the bottle. I'm not sure where I'm getting powder. Twenty minutes later the scent morphed into this gorgeous spicy honeyed deep sexy rose. Totally luscious and stunning!!! Absolutely worth the wait.

Like others, I am forever a fan of the more exclusive Guerlain's. Keep em coming!!!

edit: I now own this and have worn this a handful of times and each time I find the opening a challenge...not Shalimar challenge but the first 20 minutes are not fun. But pushing thru is so so worth it. What comes next is pure rose glory!!!!

majestic mammy
majestic mammy

I have this precious parfume. I am grateful and still trying to understand it. Is it attractive? I cant say yet. It is a bit unfamiliar to me. I find it has something grandeur yet I can not comprehend it yet. Smells of new strengths of truly majestic roses indeed.

jameelaLarose
jameelaLarose

Rose Barbare , what can i say. The barbare part of it shocks and awes you at first and then...... the seething seduction of the honey and rose absolute start setting in and transforms this experience into an enchanted and enchanting addiction ---- for you and everyone around you. It is warm, it is cool, it is soft, it is headdy, it is dark, it is just a tiny bit bright. Another treasure from Guerlain, the genius perfumery.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

A delightful honeyed rose with a dualistic modern/vintage feel due to aldehydes. It smells very niche and nothing like a typical Guerlain. Fenugreek is an unexpected, welcomed twist on an otherwise too simple fragrance. Simple, but still very beautiful. The rose is magnificent, but far from "barbare", in my opinion.

A typical patchouli/wood base... nothing ground breaking but a beauty nonetheless. Maybe just a little too "mainstream" smelling for me. The scent is quite linear on my skin and I got bored of the scent emanating from my arm after a couple hours... it is very strong and long lasting.

Maybe a bit overpriced, in my book.

evesoho
evesoho

Twenty minutes in, and this fragrance brought tears to my eyes it's so beautiful to me. I can't even write a proper review.

Why do I cry? Because when I was 13 years old I fell in love. Head over heels. Obviously it didn't last because I was 13, he was 18 and lived hours away from me...

At some point during that tragedy of a relationship, I found myself getting some ink of a red rose on my ankle to remind me of him. I remember thinking, "I love him as much as I love Jesus Christ." (Yes, I was 13, but I didn't really get into trouble for getting this tattoo. I think my family and friends were trying to humour me; I was clearly in something way over my head and other than the tattoo and the endless stream of nights I cried myself to sleep I was handling my heartbreak well (good grades, regular babysitter, aced my piano exam, taught Sunday school). They let me have my relatively harmless moment of acting out, I suppose.)

The rose depicted on my ankle? I have imagined its scent my whole life since then... and it is Rose Barbare.

sherylchan
sherylchan

I've tried quite a number of rose perfumes due to them getting along well with my body chemistry, but Rose Barbare gets my crown without any dispute, and is perfect for daily use regardless of mood!

It is a very sumptious, elegant rose. Her family lineage is apparent, yet has been refined to fit into modernity, and has a calm, unmistakable character. If placed in a roomful of other roses vying for attention, she could just sit there quietly and I could pick her out without hesitation.

Her sillage is understated, lasting power, and wafts insistently, but gently. 10/10

mwallwork
mwallwork

Quickly desolving top sharp notes last only seconds to display a sweet rose caressed by honey. This honey is present as an accurate gourmand (perhaps enhanced by the fenugreek). I have never smelled a honey in a perfume that so accurately said honey. Small daggers of it pierce my nose for a short interval before melting into the rose.

Now everything is smooth, warm and soft - almost hypnotic. The rose is still front and center. I can see her petals scattered on a rose stuffed duvet which covers an artisan-made wooden bed. The room is decorated with very small sprigs of patchouli. A lamp made of a solid block of honey blended with fenugreek burns in the corner. It releases a constant flow of warmed sweetness.

This is a beautiful perfume and absolutely different from many other roses. I like it enough to add it to my want soon list.

Ealing64
Ealing64

As far as I am aware it is only available at Guerlain's Flagship store in Paris and a few other selected outlets in the world. It is not available at duty-frees.

finanna
finanna

Finally a modern Guerlain I can love! The first impression of Rose Barbare is innocent, fresh rose scent, nothing barbaric. The untamed beauty is revealed slowly, but it is definitely worth waiting. RB transforms to fascinating honeyed, slightly animalic rose that lasts for approximately eight hours. Not exactly skanky, but elegant and a bit dirty in a very good way.

The sillage is perfect: Rose Barbare is impossible to overdose, but it is a scent that will be noticed. I had a 5ml decant and I am seriously considering a full bottle. Worth trying if you like rose with a hint of skankiness;

WoW!
I stumbled across Rose Barbare today while trying to reach an exhibition and the exhibiotion, even if great, had to wait for a while. It was even more pleasant to see the works surrounded by this memorable scent.
I knew it existed before, but it's so difficult to find out of France.
I could smell many Guerlains "privè" in a perfume store and the salesman was supportive and understood my crave and love for perfumes and Guerlains most of all.
I tried Cruel Gardenia on my right arm and I was in delight, lovely citrus-stinging with a flood of gardenia afterwards, vaguely reminiscent of AdP Magnolia Nobile, but better IMO.
Then I tried Rose Barbare on a paper and on my left arm: boom!
My face probably said it all because the salesman smiled and said: I love it, too.
Here comes the rose! I mean, real rose with no excuse.
Why Barbare? I don't know. In my mind this divine smell was an experience for nose and brain.
I was offered to spray more on myself and I didn't say no!
I went off smelling myself like crazy all the way long to the exhibition, in the middle of the crowd, indifferent to my bliss, but who cares?
At that point, I had no imagery from the perfume. Iwas taken by it and that's all. Rose Barbare kept evolving, changing, talking to my chemistry to find the perfect balance between them.
It's not static, yet it keeps its theme till the end.
It's so feminine and refined, proudly seductive but not sexy in a clichè way at all!
Like most Guerlains it shows its nature slowly but steadly.
After 7 hours it's still on my skin, not steaming but presently whispering in clouds.
Only now I see that it could be kind of "middle east" rose, like the perfume of Arabic princess maybe.

All in all the concept is not original or new, rose &patchouli combo and I see how people compare with the lovely Idylle Duet.
There have been hundreds of rose&patchouli combos in these last years and I love many of them. Lady Vengeance is on of them.
Complimentary notes give interesting differences.
To be honest I don't know what fenugreek smells like.
I think I smelled the herb years ago, but nothing so soft as I can remember.
What makes the difference as usual is the blending mastery behind and I guess raw material.
You never smell this level of purity in mainstream fragrances, unless it is Guerlain! Still, Guerlain made quite a few mistakes and cheap choices.
Rose Barbare won me in an afternoon.
Now the patchouli has taken over a little bit but the rose is still there.
I didn't buy it because I couldn't afford spending 175 euro on a 75ml bottle, not now at least and I have a good mini-collection to survive on.
Anyway, in spite of its relatively simple concept because after all is yet another rose scent, I think that the price could be deserved in this case.
There are so many other expensive fragrances that don't stand up their pricetag.

Capricious Capricorn
Capricious Capricorn

This is my favorate of the ones I tested at Guerlain at 68 Champs des Elysees. Didn't get it 'cause just didn't want to take the risk of needing to pack in the check-in luggage. I got Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat instead.

Anyway, Rose Barbare is a cool rose over a warm woody base. Nice stuff indeed! Want it.

UPDATE: Got it for almost half the price on eBay and it's the real deal. My favorite rose. The eBay bottle was in an unopened box and a buy-it-now. I swooped down and purchased it in a hearbeat, as it always goes for more $$$. One of my more previlent eBay success stories. Oh how I love this juice!

huntress1
huntress1

It is a lemony rose to me, citrusy, soury, cold, and fresh, nothing barbaric about it. Great for spring and summer. Nice scent, but I prefer deeper, warmer, and sweeter rose. This one lacks complexity.

French Boudoir Doll
French Boudoir Doll

Very similar experience I had with Adrienne99 as it smelled sour...but really to me more like hairspray...until...

***The weather cooled down..Then I was taken by this lovely fragrance that people had spoken so highly of here. I was very glad I was patient with it...after all it was a pretty penny.

It is a more Noir..or dark rose in my opinion...with a serious factor...femine...but sexy. Not to exlude that a man could also wear this devinely...I absolutely ADORE it!

Francouzka
Francouzka

I find Rose Barbare as one of the best rose perfumes with a good sillage. It is really a NICHE perfume. I like roses very much. Rose Barbare is for me a representative of a Queen rose flowering in a beautiful garden. RB is a very elegant perfume. I can not find the "balloons" to award this lovely perfume but I give it FIVE STARS at least !!!!

Kterhark
Kterhark

This is the fourth sample I've tried over a 2 1/2 year time period, and it never fails to wow me. Barbare is a honeyed, magenta rose that floats atop a diaphanous canopy of precious woods. It smells faintly of amber, but in truth no one wood stands out to me. Rather, the entire composition comes together in a harmonious, rich ensemble that makes me think of the orient, back when the orient was a place of mystery.

This is not a strong rose but a refined, well polished one. What spice notes there are wear like whispers, keeping things in the bedroom and out of the kitchen.

However, I am now reminded why I keep coming back for a sample (and not a full bottle). Longevity is short, barely 2 hours. Bois d'Armenie from this line last 24 hours on me. And thus, is my 'Art et Material' bottle of choice.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Rose Barbare offers the aroma of a very smooth, ripe red flower, dripping with honey and haloed in woods. I prefer this to Creed's Bulgarian Tea Rose, although they're close. This of course lacks the spiky tea and ambergris of the Creed, which is a sensible deficit if ever there was one. It's also a mite less feminine - I enjoy how the woodsy notes fuse with the sweet rose and create a low-key, romantic, and genderless fragrance. It isn't particularly complicated, but this perfume is the result of masterful craftsmanship.

adrienn99
adrienn99

this one is quite strange when applied, it smells a little sour and watery and somehow does not get to the point.

after a while it melts and then some spices appear - i can mostly smell cardamom.

i was a little expecting something barbare - but this is obviously not it.

I'm not normally a rose person. It came as quite a surprise when I had decided to order a whole bunch of samples so that I might find the perfect rose fragrance. I was interested to see what an expensive, exclusive and somewhat niche rose fragrance, such as Rose Barbare, would do for me.

Guerlain has managed to create something that stands out in a crowd of rose perfumes lining our department store counters. On paper, Rose Barbare seems cold and metallic, watery in a sense with delicate rose petals, mostly white.

When applied to the skin, Rose Barbare becomes much more characteristic. I still sense an element of watery-ness, however the rose seems more natural this way. It's a much darker, redder rose than on paper.

The honey sweetens this fragrance considerably, with the spices providing an interesting balance. I enjoy the depth that this fragrance has.

When first applied, Rose Barbare smelt a little like turkish delight, so I certainly got the gourmand reference straight away. However once settled, the sugary tartness softens, making way for an incredibly feminine and natural rose concoction, which is rich in some ways, but not particularly warming.

Rose Barbare strikes me as more of a Spring scent, the cold weather doesn't seem to highlight its beauty. It makes me think of pretty pink dresses and tea parties.

My above statement leads me to question why Rose Barbare is not barbaric, wild and uncivilised like its name suggests. I get an edible rose with a somewhat refined nature. There's no dirty innuendos or rankness to be found here I'm afraid.

The sillage of Rose Barbare is very intimate, sometimes there are moments when I can't smell it at all. Lasting power is so-so. For an ordinary fragrance, I would be impressed, yet by something arising, like this fragrance does, from a big house like Guerlain with such a price tag, I'm a little disappointed.

The quality is commendable, however the longevity left me lusting for more.

Guerlain ROSE BARBARE is a beautiful composition of dark garnet red roses glistening with the thinnest patina of deep amber honey. This is a very refined display of the rose note, far from the "I only promised you a rose garden" frags. Simply exquisite. The development is not very complex, but ROSE BARBARE opens so appealingly that I'm happy for it to stay that way--as long as possible, in fact!

I do not consider this a chypre but a lightly oriental floral with a slightly gourmand edge. I could eqt these rose petals! The honey note is luscious and the dark red velvety roses are a welcome change from the pink ones so often featured in perfume. Although ROSE BARBARE opens fairly warm, the drydown becomes warmer still.

I am very impressed with this creation: proof positive that the illustrious Guerlain tradition continues on! Definitely FB- or decant-worthy. I would love to wear ROSE BARBARE again.

Victoria Regia
Victoria Regia

As I said in my review for Angelique Noire, I'm again wondering if I mistook this for something else. It's beautiful! Top: a sweet, vibrant, nearly edible bouquet of roses; middle: smooth, heavenly dark chocolate; bottom: honey and roses, but green, not sweet like the first stage. As I said, I tested it today for the first time along with Angelique Noire and Iris Ganache, and they all smell like dessert to me. Is that the idea behind them? They're all delicious!

lilinah
lilinah

Rose is a pleasant scent. I use rose water frequently in cooking. Rose is nice when blended with other fragrances. But i've never been a fan of strongly rose scented products. I remember the pleasant but unsophisticated and somewhat feeble "tea rose" and "rose rain" perfumes of the 70s.

But when i was at the Guerlain counter the other day, the woman had me test some Rose Barbare. What a surprise! It was so beautiful. It smelled like real roses, and was rich, deep, complex. This is no pastel rose, but delicious and dark.

jeca
jeca

A dark red rose, elegant and refined, without any intention to flirt with you, this is a weighty rose, with a hint of honey and beautiful sharpness of chypre notes.

Rose Barbare by Guerlain 4.08 out of 5 based on 177 ratings and 33 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Rose Barbare fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Rose Barbare, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rose Barbare by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rose Barbare by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.