Designers » F-H » Oriental Floral « Groups

Rose Nacree du Desert Guerlain for women and men

Rose Nacree du Desert Guerlain for women and men
dislike

oud
Rose Nacree du Desert Guerlain for women and men Pictures Rose Nacree du Desert Guerlain for women and men Pictures Rose Nacree du Desert Guerlain for women and men Pictures

A fragrance built on lush Persian rose, the legendary blossom of the east. Creamy yet dark, rose is given a mysterious air via saffron, patchouli and a hint of agarwood (oud), fanned on rich benzoin resin. Rose Nacree du Desert was launched in 2012. The nose behind this fragrance is Thierry Wasser.

Patchouli Saffron Benzoin Rose Agarwood (Oud)

Midnight Oud
Sadaf
Dark Rose
Al Sharquiah

Rose Nacree du Desert Fragrance Reviews

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

Overall rating: * * *

When I first heard about Guerlain's foray into the world of contemporary Middle Eastern fragrance, I was skeptical. What could this quintessentially French, classic perfume house possibly have to add to an already-glutted "Oud plus whatever" marketplace?

If Guerlain's only entry had been Rose Nacree du Desert, I'm afraid my skepticism would have been well-justified. RNdD is, like *most* Guerlain fragrances, an extaordinarily well-blended, balanced composition. There is indeed a touch of the Guerlain sparkle, here. But on the whole, nothing new has been added to the conversation. One might say that it is a kinder, gentler Oud Ispahan, which is of course not a compliment. Rather than coming across as a sophisticated and novel French take on Rose+Oud, it instead seems a bit self-conscious and fearful, like a guest who has inadvertently shown up at a party where everyone else is slightly younger, slightly cooler, and slightly better looking.

Guerlain's entire Deserts d'Orient experiment is redeemed, however, in RNdD's sister fragrance Songe d'un Bois d'Ete, which is an unqualified masterpiece.

farang
farang

This is a most beautiful rose fragrance. The rose smells very natural and is neither a dark rose nor a fresh rose - it is supposed to be a Persian rose, I believe. The rose is blended with soft oud, saffron and other notes to make a superb fragrance. In my opinion, it is the most beautiful and most natural smelling among the rose-oud combinations. It projects somewhat a Middle East sensibility, though can easily be used everywhere.

It probably leans more towards the feminine spectre, though men can use it in small doses. It is nuclear in projection and long lasting so one or max two sprays is all that is needed.

ali..khalili
ali..khalili

عطری تلخ با بوی قوی رز .
با اینکه از رایحه رز خوشم نمیاد ولی هیچ چیز به اندازه بوی رز نمیتونه ادم رو یک اشراف زاده جلوه بده
در محفل متشخصان و افراد بزرگ این عطر به خوبی میتونه انتظار ادم رو براورده کنه
اما هیچ وقت بدون تست خریده نشود
برای پاییز و زمستان

sjam3295
sjam3295

This is a really beautiful scent, a standout in the field of rose-oud perfumes for me. It's so well blended, a woody, oudy, velvety, faintly smoky rose resting on a quiet mist of saffron, patchouli and resin, all in just perfect proportions.

That's my description of the smell - which is lovely. But the magic of it is, when I breathe it in it makes me feel so wonderful, I feel I could just sit here breathing in this scent from my wrist all day and all night forever. That's the magic of a really good perfume.

julieekerr
julieekerr

this is a beauty. if it were a rose it would be deep velvety red with dark dusky purple veins. it's presence is a complex saffron oud rose lying on a gentle patchouli base. enchanting, Delightful and multi layered. testing on a warm summer day I feel like I am in a mysterious magical rose garden. it's sillage wafts and envelops me in a beautiful passionate dream.
reading previous reviews there must have been some bad samples on sale because this could never be terrible. I appreciated rose barebare but disliked the sweet honey notes, this is defiantly the queen of guerlain roses. A very grown up sophisticated fragrance. I am so glad I purchased it.

amnalenajasmine
amnalenajasmine

Do you believe in djinn? I think they have worked some magic, either on my nose or on the 8 ml decant of Rose Nacrée du Désert which has been lurking in the darkness of my wardrobe for the last four months.

I first tried it out when looking for a wedding fragrance. A kind member of Fragrantica suggested Rose Nacrée du Désert and Une Rose Barbare, both exclusive Guerlain creations with price tags equivalent to gold jewelry (well, maybe not a tiara, but at least a couple of small 22k earrings).

When the decants arrived, I instantly loved the aldehydic fireworks in Une Rose Barbare. Its little sister from the desert seemed to be nothing but grossly overpriced bug spray. If I needed to protect myself from mosquitos during the wedding, there were much cheaper ways of doing so (OFF! would probably be just fine). Rose Nacrée du Désert went straight back into the closet.

The last couple of days I have conducted some archaeological investigations among my samples, and there she was again - the desert rose! Everyone deserves a second chance, or so they say. And oh, what difference! How could I possibly have dismissed this soft beauty as bug spray? She settles on the skin like a silky veil of roses, saffron and oud, she nestles into the pores and stays for hours, becomes one with me - and I become a Desert Queen!

I agree with Cairo Rose: This is definitely the scent of Sybilla from the Kingdom of Heaven, or maybe the Queen of Sheba herself. Rose Nacrée du Désert is sophisticated, and next to her, Une Rose Barbare is only a poor cousin from the countryside: Smiling, pretty and lacking finesse.

PS 1: christianne1: I got my decant from Surrender to Chance.
PS 2: I ended up wearing Estée Lauder: Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia for the wedding.

christianne1
christianne1

UPDATE: I got another sample and this one smells MUCH better!! I knew something had to be wrong with the first ones I received. Still a bit too authentically middle eastern smelling for me or something but it is a vast improvement from the first samples I received. Dark, dusty and gothic. Like dusty velvet roses in an old castle. A very interesting fragrance, just not one for me.

UPDATE 2: Spoke too soon...dry down after about 2 hours is just beautiful. When am I going to learn to be patient??

Original review:

I feel certain there are some bad samples being sold on Ebay because the ones I got smell, how should I say.....freaking horrific. They are manufacturers samples but there is no way the perfume I smelled is what others here are smelling (with the exception of the ones also screaming yikes).

I am a rose fan, rose oud fan, patchouli, spicy, oriental and middle eastern fan....I like exotic and animalic and weird and all that but this isn't a normal smell. It smells like rancid wine left in a hot car all summer. Could someone tell me where to get a GOOD sample of this?

Ambrosia, did you get your sample off of EBay by chance?

Ambrosia8
Ambrosia8

I really don't get the raving reviews about this one... I tried it twice because the first time, I could not believe that it was what it was actually supposed to smell like! It is truly the most terrible perfume I have ever smelled (on me at least, as I have not smelled it on anyone else.) The staying power is amazing, after 3 days and as many showers, it was still clearly noticeable and I only sprayed it once on the back of my hand. Two friends of mine asked, on separate occasions, what smelled so disgusting... The smell was pungent and chemical, a very strong disinfectant is the closest thing I can think of. I would love to smell it on someone else because I cannot believe that this is what it's supposed to be. But then again, I only ever had 2 problems of skin chemistry and I tried hundreds of perfumes! (a slight garlic aroma in Fracas and a light nail polish remover smell in Lolita Lempicka!!)

Roflecones
Roflecones

This is one of the better renditions of rose and oud I've ever had the pleasure of sampling. The accord has been done many times before, but to criticize Guerlain from releasing one now is like discouraging Rolls Royce Motors from making a new coupe because Fiat and Renault have already made one. Thiery Wasser made a terrific fragrance in the signature Guerlain style. I actually give credit to Guerlain for not trying replicate exactly the perfumes of the middle-east, but just a suggestion of it, like what a Parisian would imagine the middle-east to be. It's romanticized, almost idealized, and it's hugely successful in that regard.

The rose is so elegant, like the rose from Amouage Lyric Man, and the whole thing is absolutely refined. So back to the car analogy; the Germans now own Rolls Royce and they've created a car in their own idealized style; what they imagined the ultimate in British luxury motoring should be. It turns out that it's way better than anything the Brits ever made while they owned it. This is the equivalent of that perfect car.

Cairo Rose
Cairo Rose

This fragrance is amazing, it blends into your skin and becomes one of those time travel scents that whisks you away to far off places. It begs to be worn with sumptuous fabrics and precious gems. I can imagine this is the perfume Sibylla wore in Kingdom of Heaven. Pure elegance and very refined.

jasonx
jasonx

Again, oud oud oud, everyone has to have oud in their product portfolio these days. I smell a bit of Black Aoud, a bit of Attar, a bit of Oud Ispahan. Nothing new, nothing special and no, thank you

Mick_Trick
Mick_Trick

Got to say I'm really enjoying the lush syrupy rose, saffron and oud. The opening and heart are rich for sure, but I don't find the sweetness gets to cloying levels. The drydown is transformative where everything losses density and dries off as a musty patch base dominates and fades towards the close.

Colourwise up front is all velvet burgundy with black and green streaks intensifying during the drydown. Definitely a fragrance of two dominant and diverse stages. Longevity perfectly acceptable, for me at least. All in all, good stuff, rich, decadent but with a slightly macabre ending, and all the better for it IMO.

edit:

Since I have gone though my decant, I've gone from respect to love on this. Incredibly satisfying and well done, FB on the way.

fenia
fenia

i have just received a decant of this and it is absolutely amazing!the rose i have been looking for!all the other rose perfumes seem like water compared to this!it reminds of a little bottle of 1ml rose perfume i used to have..one drop of it was enough to last a day and it was enclosed in a beautifully carved and painted wooden case that looked like a miniature tower from a middle eastern palace!i hope i'll be able to find a full bottle of this.it's the real thing!

RugosaAlba
RugosaAlba

Rose Nacree du Desert Guerlain.
This time there is a very feminine and delicate handling of an oud/saffron/ rose or more precisely of the saffron/rose/oud/benzoin/patchouli combination, I smell it in that order.
Previously smelt by me oud/rose/saffron compositions, such as Rose Oud By Kilian or Black Rose Oud Trish McEvoy attacked me by a rubbery oud, not sure synthetic or natural, a monstrous rose looming above me and immense patchouli and surprised me with very short life on paper and clothes.
Rose Nacree du Desert Guerlain is a very delicate yet assertive composition that while showcasing saffron, benefiting from oud and patchouli just to the degree necessary, makes the rose very intimate and dear.
This fragrance gives me a rare opportunity to learn about saffron: the soapiness that it imparts to the rose is not as bittersweet and brooding as if it would be imparted by an iris, but instead it's a very refined sweeter soapiness that is fused with the refined patchouli and oud and benzoin into the sweet rose balsam. Subtle leatheriness of saffron is also different and more delicate than in case of iris(saffron does belong to an iris family). The rose sits under the soapy sweet saffron/oud/patchouli/benzoin veil, or she makes her royal walk in the garden, very well guarded princess.
So far my favorite long lasting oud/rose. Quite a noble one.
Today I lifted the lid of the small crystal jar with the Pottery Barn rose potpourri in my daughter's room, that smelled somewhat similar to the fragrance being reveiwed. Thinking again about Guerlain price policies.

amaraztavich
amaraztavich

It's just like Juliette has a Gun's 'Midnight Oud' ... but with more of an amber feel.

Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful perfume (also the bottle) But for this kind of money... I want, no, I demand some originality!

mrs2241
mrs2241

سعید جان یادت رفت بگی که چه جعبه زیبایی دارن...البته بوشون کاملا عربیه....

hermyonee

another very similar Rose-oud-saffron, like some other niche ones; seems like they just copy-paste the same composition!

beata4u2
beata4u2

After sampling Atelier Cologne Rose Anonyme that won my heart I was sure that was going to be 'my' rose-oud scent. And then some little perfume devil whispered to my ear: but you haven't tried the other ones! After thorough research on the net I came with a list of rose and oud combinations. Somehow Rose Nacree du Desert was on the top of the list. I think apart from Bond no 9 NY Oud, I smelled all most popular rose and oud scents. And all the way through sampling and sniffing there was only one rose I kept constantly coming back to: Guerlain's RNdD. It's mysterious, a bit heavy, dark, it's extremely sensual and erotic and I love it for all these qualities. It's rose all way through, but this rose is a socialite surrounded by her good friends: oud, saffron, cardamon and what I guess is benzoin. For me it's the absolute winner, not only on the top of rose+oud combinations list but also on the top of my 'to buy' list!

finanna
finanna

Rose Nacree du Desert is Guerlain’s take on the classic rose-oud combination that is beautifully executed in many attars. I have been on a quest for The Perfect Dark Rose for a while and was lucky enough to obtain a 5ml sample from my favourite Guerlain exclusives stockist.

The opening is a beautiful rose without the fresh citrus note that attar fans might expect. The perfume develops quite fast to warm, darker rose thanks to saffron and woody notes. Patchouli and saffron are not very obvious, they just add warmth and a hint of earthiness. On my skin oud and benzoin dominate the drydown. The rose lasts about 2h on my skin and is completely gone in 3h while the dark base lasts for ages. I would prefer a bit more rosy drydown and will stick to attars in future.

I would recommend this to people who are interested in the middle Eastern influences in perfumery but do not like wearing oils. If you like your roses clean, keep looking elsewhere:)

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

Rose pressed between the pages of an old first-edition book was my first impression. Then a quick cascade of herbal green notes, fleeting and crisp. The middle, which I did not enjoy, was a heady, heavy red rose; the actual rose note ws very nice, but it was quite strong for a while. Once this passed, the dry-down of delicately spiced dried rose was wonderful and long-lasting. (3/5)

mimikins24
mimikins24

by Kilian Rose Oud + Guerlainade. I get the same three notes from this as the by Kilian scent (rose, oud, saffron). As I found with Songe de Bois d'Ete, it is as if one perfume is stacked on top of the other.

Opening, the rose and oud are very pungent, and I get the traditional Guerlain base upon dry down. Again, the scents begin to blend and come together as the fragrance settles on the skin.

It is a rose/oud scent that I would actually wear, and I will wear my decant in cold weather and for evenings. I must say it is quite heavy on the (pink) rose, and I really do not imagine this on a man , but rather a confident and stylish woman.

hermyonee

this is not bad at all, quite elegant and not too strong Rose Oud, reminds me a bit also By Kilian's one on the same theme... nothing too original I'd say, pleasant, well balanced, the patchouly note is quite present, the rose is soft, but there, the safron is very mild, barely there... not sure it's worth the price tag, and very "emirates friendly" in it's marketing profile :-p
I prefer the Art et la Matière ones, specially Bois d'Armenie and cuir Beluga

taboo2287
taboo2287

i love this fragrance it's so arabian nights romance, the smell of love, passion, taboo, wealth, and above all rose! makes me love arabian beauty more and more, i think jasmine (Aladdin girlfriend) smelled like this <3

cedriceccentric
cedriceccentric

A sweet and soft green rose in the style of Rose Absolue by Annick Goutal.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I don't get the orient in this at all. Even after a good while on my skin there is just a faded rose smell at the end. If you really love rose scents than you would like this, but I did not.

fkollmeier
fkollmeier

this is a sweet and sticky candy rose. to my nose it does not at all smell arab. i cannot sense oud in this creation. to me its the rose and the patchouly making a sweetish scent for the day. definitely more for women. i have to say i am somewhat disappointed as i expected a full bukhoor kind of incency perfume more like the oud ispahan.

fishmerised
fishmerised

Well, I can't comment on the oud because I'm not sure what oud smells like but let me say this - a rose by any other name would not smell as sweet.

Rose Nacree du Desert is the sweetest floral oriental I've come across. It's not Hypnotic Poison type of sugary sweetness - no fruit or vanilla, it's a warm musky, incense sweet. I know these notes aren't in the mix, it must be the benzoin/saffron/patchouli notes.

For once Guerlain has delighted me with opening notes, no nose burn, I found a delicately spiced rose bomb. Yep, it's definately a bomb, but it's divine. The rose smells like the ones you find in older person's gardens, an old fashion rose that has been made redundant by all the new hybrid blooms.

The longer I wear the perfume the sweeter it becomes, is there such a thing as too sweet? I seriously can't imagine this as a unisex fragrance.

It's a beautiful fragrance as it is but I would like it to have something else to round off all that sweetness.

Edit: after wearing this perfume for a couple of days I've become used to the sweetness, it's no longer O.T.T. It's addictive.

Kterhark
Kterhark

This will likely be one of the best releases of 2012.

I put this on at 8.30 a.m. and went for a walk through Chrissy Fields towards Golden Gate. It was one of those blustery summer days where the wind is merciless, but through it all wafted the warmest, golden rose.

Rose Nacree has no competition. I know you've seen these notes before, but here they come together so fabulously you'd think it was a new genre. The opening is a sweet patchouli vibe, but this gives way to oud, and quickly.

There's just enough grit here to keep it dirty, but not so much chrome that it tips into the 'do not use' category. I can't explain it, but the rose is so powerful that it overwhelms all attempts to masculinize it.

The dry down was unexpectedly breathtaking. It hit me as I was drinking a glass of champagne and eating a ham and cheese crepe at a french restaurant. Hello, Benzoin! I LOVE this pampered base note. And guess what? It lingers long after you've paid the tab.

Ah Guerlain, you really love me, don't you?

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Guerlain does Montale. Another rose/oud mix, but more gentle than the Montale versions. The oud does not take precedence here, rather the saffron & patchouli notes underpin the rose nicely. I only have a vial, which I am enjoying, but oh! just look at that gorgeous bottle. The perfume is very lovely as one would expect from such a prestigious house. Longevity is good (4 hrs on my skin), sillage noticeable.

French Boudoir Doll

Hope you don't mind if I add a bit to this....It is that GRAND! I tested this again today.....THIS time...in the best of all places....upon my neck where it can send vapors to my nose with full force. This duft lasted the entirety of the day....from morn' till eve....
But the scent compelled me to share once again. I am not the best at writing descriptions of perfumes...but more so about what I feel or invision.... The Damask Rose is present....but obscure...and as time enfolds the Oud here is like no other I have smelled. I am not an expert...but I have had my share of sampling....
I had to say...."This was an ancient bottle discovered in the sands of the Orient!" It some how smells.....ancient...if you can imagine...like how you would imagine if you woke up and Cleopatra layed there on a posh array of golden and embroidered pillows....her lovers strewn about....in a slumber...only to be awakened by her mere command!
To say this is sexy does not do any justice. This is an artform...a soul from essence...
Only one simple spray upon my neck.... Now where is my purse?

French Boudoir Doll

After trying the sample twice.... I definately would purchase!

A very good Oud with vintage damask roses.... I am not so much a rose dame; however, with this oud and the magic of the hands of Guerlain.... it has the wow factor! Oud is a pricey and rare essntial oil that comes from aggarwood...it is a very special scent that makes me think of a beautiful exotic woman with eyes that enrapture you...entance your soul.

Guerlain did a very good thing here....If you could at least aquire a sample...there are so many ouds out there. I personally only need one. I have been trying different ones from Montale, and other sources...trying to make a decision. And instead of buying many that may or may not fit the bill... I have fallin hard...for Guerlain once again!

Rose Nacree du Desert by Guerlain 4.25 out of 5 based on 141 ratings and 31 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Rose Nacree du Desert fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Rose Nacree du Desert, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rose Nacree du Desert by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rose Nacree du Desert by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.