Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

dislike

I have it: 1899 I had it: 1287 I want it: 1263 My signature: 101

yellow floral
Samsara Guerlain for women Videos Samsara Guerlain for women Videos
Samsara Guerlain for women Pictures Samsara Guerlain for women Pictures Samsara Guerlain for women Pictures Samsara Guerlain for women Pictures Samsara Guerlain for women Pictures Samsara Guerlain for women Pictures

This is a classic for real Guerlain fans. The perfume was created by Jean Paul Guerlain in 1989. Sensual, sophisticated, woodsy fragrance, suitable for romantic dates, as well as for daily use. The top notes are juicy and fresh: bergamot, lemon, ylang-ylang, peach and green notes. The heart is blooming in opulent flowers: elegant jasmine, cold woodsy iris, luscious narcissus, violet and delicate rose. The base is composed of sandal wood, vanilla, Tonka bean, amber, and musk.

The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Paul Guerlain.

Green Notes Peach Ylang-Ylang Bergamot Lemon

iris Violet Orris Root Jasmine Rose Narcissus

iris Sandalwood Tonka Bean Amber Musk Vanilla

Samsara Shine

Samsara Fragrance Reviews

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

Huge, rich, heady, carnal and exotic-smelling, like Opium. I've smelled Samsara on various women before. I can see why it's commonly used as a date night scent but it's too intensely woody for me. Although there is no incense, it smells like I'm being flooded by exotic ashes.

Given the chance, I think I would take Samsara over Black Crystal or Black Orchid. Even though it's not my holy grail, being too warm is hardly a sin. Nothing too sharp, peppery or sour here. But it should go without saying you shouldn't wear this to work.

nero77
nero77

Review for the current Eau de Toilette

Wow... definitely quite something to behold!

Probably one of the most sensual fragrances I have ever come across. It's almost as if every single sensual and tropical aroma was combined together in a single bottle!

This one is almost intoxicating from the start. For me, it's kind of a very grown-up mixture of rich, creamy white floral and dry, sheer-like Sandalwood, the overall result striking me as unmistakably feminine. Guerlain's perfumes are not always easy ones to like upon initial spray, you really need to give them time to fully appreciate their significance, and for me Samsara was no exception. The story goes that Jean-Paul Guerlain came up with this inspiration partly due to a woman he admired who only liked the notes of Rose, Jasmine and Sandalwood, and he decided to create a fragrance around these three very sensual notes. The result is incredible...

What I get upon initial spray is a very tropical-like, almost overripe fruit smell with a heavy dose of Ylang-Ylang which very much reminds me of banana. This is coupled with heady, indolic, almost fecal-like opulent Jasmine (one of my favourite notes in perfume), joined by a very fresh rose note, and all resting on a huge base of sheer, silky, creamy Sandalwood. This isn't a dry Sandalwood, like Tam Dao by Diptyque. This is a very creamy Sandalwood supported by the heavy white floral Jasmine and the creamy, banana-like Ylang-Ylang, giving a hint of an almost coconut-like vibe. The overall impression could also be a little soapy at immediate impression, but once you spend time with it you really get the full experience of a rich, tropical garden in bloom.

Because of the Jasmine/Ylang-Ylang combination, Samsara really gives me the impression of being almost in a tropical forest on a hot night, with the warm, heady aroma of sweet creamy coconut, green banana, Rose, and dry Sandalwood incense burning at a nearby Buddhist shrine. It really gives me one of the most exotic impressions I've ever smelt coming out of a bottle.

Speaking of the bottle, the Chinese-style red & gold finish really give it the impression of a precious urn filled with something valuable, or maybe even spiritual. It really highlights Guerlain's obsession with Asia (similar to the way the Shalimar bottle represented a clear fountain of water in the gardens of an Indian Palace), this one looks like it came out of a Buddhist Temple. I find that the bottle certainly fits the marketing really well...

I would say that this is very grown up, but not so strong or overpowering a scent, just very evocative and incredibly sensual. Wear it when you want to smell unlike anything else, just very feminine, sensual and exotic. Close your eyes and you just may find it transporting you to a faraway place, and a whole different experience. Personally I would find this incredibly sensual on a woman (as long as applied lightly as it can be strong in the opening).

A recommended must try... A special, exotic one from Guerlain.

WhiteFlowerGirl
WhiteFlowerGirl

I love the EDT, on my skin I get ylang ylang.

It lasts well, not monster sillage, but did get a compliment at work.

I feel this is a good year round scent, suitable for both work and play.

My suggestion would be to try/test the EDT and EDP, as the EDP didn't work for me.

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

There are only 7 types of art! Perfumery should be the 8th! I always associate perfumes with other arts... They share the same history and give me the same experiences. Like an old song, or an old movie, you just can't appreciate the beauty of classics unless you achieve some level of maturity. And just like songs or movies, perfumes, are also lacking in style and creativity nowadays. When you turn on the radio, do you hear anything other than songs talking about how many drinks they can have or how many loud parties they can go to or how much sex they can have? Same silly tunes over and over again! This is the same case happening with perfumes...

But when you take a look on the classics, you just remember how great it was that age of black and white movies, beautiful women, charming men and great styles, and design that broke so many rules they had to rewrite them! Pants for ladies... No way!!

Samsara belongs to that golden age! It is so creamy it gives you the impression of vulnerability. Sandalwood, Jasmin, Ylang-Ylang, and rose are highly present in it's composition... The amber is also faintly detectable. Although I can't really smell them, the iris and violets are there to give it that powdery nature.

Samsara is a classic, but I think a woman in her mid twenties can apreciate it as it is not as demanding as shalimar or mitsouko and other Guerlain classics. It has a really nice smell that stays young no matter how many years have passed by! Truely a piece of ART!

Kipling&Alice
Kipling&Alice

I had this scent when I was 21 and I was the wrong age for such perfume. It was a heavy scent with a quality of staleness in it. I had never warmed up to this fragrance, though I like oriental scents overall.

christianne1
christianne1

I could never wear this when it first came out. While I love sandalwood (now), the original formula had about the strongest sandalwood you could find. A friend of mine wore it out to clubs - crowded, sweaty and 4-6 sprays of Samsara just did not mix well. (My 5 sprays of Fendi probably didn't either.) But it left me with a bit of Samsaraphobia. (She probably has Fendiphobia.) It just seemed like this thick, heavy, overwhelming exotic sandalwood that kind of made me a little woozy. I never thought about it much after that.

Move forward to....now. After trying Lyric Woman recently, I kept trying to place the dry down. It reminded me of something then I realized it was Samsara. The dry down after 3-4 hours was just as a remembered Samsara. So, I had to order a small bottle to compare. But the new Samsara is like the light version of how I remember Samsara. I know for certain it was more potent in the sandalwood department. It was a sandalwood beast!

But....I really LIKE the new Samsara! A lot! The phobia is gone! It is so much easier to wear and doesn't become "too much". I just put one spray on so maybe that is why but I find it to be very comforting but still exotic yet not overbearing like the original version. I find myself sniffing and sniffing myself. I think my previous phobia may just turn into love.

coffeex4
coffeex4

Horrible Reformulation!!! Sad! Sad! Sad!

majestic mammy
majestic mammy

Review for Reformulated Modern version:
Samsara EDP is ok. Something nice but not nice enough.
SAMSARA EXTRAIT WOOOOOW.
This goes to show you that the formulation for extrait is not only higher concentration but also the formulation has a variation of composition of notes.

Samsara extrait is real nice. The Extrait is the very pretty friend, while EDP is the girl who will pull all the stops but doesn't capture the glory of beauty as the extrait.
Modern Extrait is closer to the vintage formulation.
Samsare EDP: 6.5/10
Samsara Extrait: 10/10

FloridaMom
FloridaMom

Love it! Wanted to buy it again but I already overindulged on buying new scents and restocking my signature scents, so will wait until some of my bottles run down. Very strong and elegant, with a touch of yellow flowers.

mourmouro
mourmouro

FOR WOMEN ONLY!!!!!!

Sherihan
Sherihan

I like the Parfam version of Samsara, it has the nicer sandal,less lemon, as the edt,and edp,is very lemony.

spiderleenie
spiderleenie

This ain't your daughter's perfume! This is a strong and womanly fragrance! No kids in the pool!

Samsara smells slightly lighter on my skin than it does from the bottle. Actually, if I were to smell it from the bottle, I'd say it smells like a chemical mess, like a stale baby powder. The amber, the musk, and the rose tend to shout out from the bottle, and not in a pleasant way. Once I spray it, though, it becomes a different story.

The dominant notes in this are definitely sandalwood and jasmine, as I can smell those notes the most throughout the time I'm wearing the perfume. I've grown to LOVE sandalwood and jasmine as I've gotten older, so this is a plus for me. The citrus notes are present enough to give this a somewhat juicy quality on my skin, but there are plenty of other notes to keep this scent really heavy. The floral notes, the musk, and the amber are what keep this scent very strong. I honestly can't pick up on the vanilla or the tonka bean, as I wouldn't describe this scent as "sweet" at all. The words "woody" and "powdery" definitely pop out the most in my head when trying to describe this perfume.

I think this is a nighttime only fragrance, as it's definitely an "I am woman, hear me roar!" perfume. It's very sexy, mature, and decadent, so I wouldn't consider this to be a daytime perfume. Also, this is one of those perfumes where all I need to do is spray into the air, and walk into the mist ONCE. The perfume is simply too strong to spray directly on myself.

Overall, I think this perfume is gorgeous, but I wouldn't put it in "love" territory, simply because this is not something I would reach for a lot of the time (since it's so mature and not casual at all). I am quite glad I own it, though!

Bluemarinejosephine
Bluemarinejosephine

In 1985, Jean-Paul Guerlain made a perfume for an Englishwoman he wanted to seduce. She said she liked sandalwood and jasmine, so he designed for her a fragrance loaded with both notes. She wore it faithfully and told him people would cross the street to ask what her perfume was. This was later released as “Samsara”.

At the time it was released, exotic perfumes were popular, YSL with Opium or Chanel with Coco.

Samsara has a top note of bergamot; heart notes of Indian jasmine, narcissus, rose, and ylang ylang; and a base of sandalwood, iris, tonka bean, and vanilla. Unlike Opium and Coco, it isn't spicy or resinous. Instead, it is warm and creamy, sweet and clean.

Samsara's pairing of sandalwood and jasmine smells so obvious, there is an almost sypury sensuality to it. There is also a touch of musk adding a little soapiness to its dry down.

It is not overly loud but, it is distinctive and true.

My signature scent for years…
Enjoy the perfume hunt!

KellyMills
KellyMills

Love Samsara. I have to be careful when I apply this one because it's so strong and can easily reach the point where it is wearing me instead of the other way around. Applied with a light hand, this is glorious. Creamy, powdery sandalwood and balmy, heady floral sweetened with the violet, orris, and vanilla. It smells like an old and expensive perfume that is perfectly content and confident with itself. It's very classy in my opinion.

artemiss
artemiss

I've had a large bottle of vintage EDP since the mid/late 1990's. I can't hardy wear it now, too many 'scent associations' but when I do, I'm reminded why this has always been my power go-to scent.
It's potent, so I typically spray it onto a cotton swab and touch my pulse points, any more is *too* much. On me, with the vintage EDP, the scent will linger on skin and clothes until washed off.
It opens sharp and spicy, something in there always reminded me of root-beer, and drys down into a powdery violet-sandalwood that defines the term 'floriental' in my mind forever.

shivabglr
shivabglr

I could recently hunt down a 1.7oz vintage eau de parfum and I'M IN LOVE!

From the first spritz to the end of it (which lasted probably more that 12 hours!) I was in heaven!

Seriously no perfume had ever had that effect on me! I won't go through the notes and describing the smell, as I won't be able to add much to everything that's been already said about this piece of heaven!

I would just call it totally otherworldy!

8.5/10

Gingercat77
Gingercat77

I got my first bottle of this when i was 16. Absolutely gorgeous. Sophisticated, classy, mature but not an old lady fragrance. I will always own a bottle of this.

crescentsho
crescentsho

LOVE LOVE LOVE!~ my fav oriental woody fragrance! It's classic,truly beauty, sophisticated, very elegant.
I need to buy a new bottle. Very lovely for any time.

zzMaja
zzMaja

One of my favorites. I've worn this on and off for about 20 years. It is intense so I only use it ocassionally and in the evening.
It takes me to a higher plane of existence. Love It!

Plrowden
Plrowden

Honestly, I don't know how. I missed this fragrance when it first came out and during the ensuing years, but I did! As I love collecting vintage and original formula fragrances, I decided that my collection would not be complete without a bottle of the famous Samsara. I found and bought a vintage bottle on EBay and am wearing it for the very first time today.

After reading all the reviews and finding so many that said one usually has a love or hate relationship with this fragrance. I was nervous as I first sprayed. The initial opening on me I found glorious! I smelled an abundance of fresh carnations and iris and aldehydes. Joy! the middle notes were a revelation to me, as I was expecting the jasmine and peach notes along with the ylang ylang so often mentioned. I found none of those. What I smelled was a soft bouquet of yellow flowers along with the carnation and iris. The dry down on me smells of amber and the softest whisper of sandalwood. The flowers have faded into memory.

To me, Samsara is a confident, sophisticated, complex, sexy and mysterious fragrance for those women who have similar attributes who can appreciate this fragrance in all it's' glory.

Sillage on me in the beginning is heavy, moving to moderate during the middle notes and then to a soft skin scent in the dry down phase.

Longevity is super long lasting!

Aline Ribeiro
Aline Ribeiro

Seduction in a bottle. I have great memories of Samsara. It's rich, sophisticated and sexy. No ''old lady'' at all ( if ''old lady scent'' exists...).

ArtDecoGirlie
ArtDecoGirlie

As a lover of Guerlain, at first I avoided this, thinking of it as a mainstream 90s perfume that adorned many a bathroom shelf/dressing table. However, I was bought it as a present so decided to give it a try. Now I kind of love it.
I wore it one Thursday evening to a meal and a drink in a nice pub. The waitress kept saying how lovely I smelt! After the meal, I went into the bar area and these two men were saying the same. One even asked if I could go there EVERY Thursday evening, just so he could smell my perfume all night! That's the magic of Guerlain.

the_new_esta
the_new_esta

Positive:
It is an amazing, lingering scent that makes you want to follow the wearer around
Negative:
It became mainstream and quite common to find around - people will know exactly what you're wearing

Musky4
Musky4

I smelled Samsara this week as it's many years since I last smelled it and I was curious. I didn't try it on myself, just on a card, and found it to be stronger, spicier and less powdery than I'd remembered. It really does have that 80s powerhouse feel. Unfortunately it's not really my style, but I truly appreciate Samsara as one of the great fragrances of its time.

moreorlessa
moreorlessa

The EDT is wonderful. It's not very youthful, though. It has an old world vibe to it, and the woman who wears this is confident, mature and seductive. An exhuberant womanly perfume, but certainly not girly or "pretty". It is like opening the world's most fragrant chest, made from the most aromatic exotic woods. Great for cooler weather, as it is very warm and comforting, and has grat projection. A little goes a long way.

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

I really love the house of Guerlain. Samsara to me is a lovely fragrance I have the EDT version. I smell spice and warmth from this but it also has a strong floral presence. It's warm and sexy and smells high end and of good quality. It smells expensive. I am very pleased to have this gem in my collection. I would most likely wear it in the evening as it's more on the heavy side. I can only wonder what the EDP version is like as the EDT is quite strong in a nice way.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

Samsara is a wonderful perfume. At first I get a combination of peach and violet. Especially the violet is really strong on me. During the first two hours it projects quite strong, but then it mellows, and I forget it's even there. During my first wearings I thought it was a very short lived perfume. But then suddenly, there was a whiff of the most gorgeous creamy floral sandalwood.
Samsara feels like weightless silk on my skin.
It lasts ages on clothing. I wore it yesterday and today I could smell it strongly on my scarf. I pushed my face into my scarf and I was transported back to my childhood. Comforting and soft. Delicate, but with a strong character.
I asked my mother, and yes, she used to wear Samsara. A memory of scent can last a lifetime.

manzoor86
manzoor86

it smells like lipstick,nail polish,bridal suit and jewelry boxes.although it was a blind buy suggested by my fragrantica friends to me,but its a safe blind buy.its the third ladies perfume after guerlain shalimaer EDC and Dior pure poison mini,now that i have got the 100ml EDP version,its one of my gem,i usually spray a single gush on my collar in the evening,and it keeps me into the enchanting word of flowers jasmine,roses and white flowers,its sweetness fades out once the more mature heart notes are appeared,its a modern fashionable girl captured in the bottle,total love...

Mirabele
Mirabele

Samsara edt
I tried to love this one. beautiful bottle, classical scent. Very good longevity. It was just not me at all. Something about jasmine+ylang ylang+sandalwood combo made me feel uncomfortable. I tried and tried and then I gave up.

biki
biki

Wow... I have never tried this one,but ma teacher wears it every time she comes to class. It fills the room with divine fragrance, thats y i never miss her classes... Today i decided to ask her what it was and she said it was Samsara. I did not ask her,however, to bring a bottle for me to try,that would have been too much. Not innocent but strong and refined,perfumy in the bst way possible,to me even feels almost smoky,but it only adds to the richness of this perfume.... The first encounter with this house,and now i am even more curious to test other perfumes produced there that i have on ma test list... Looking forward to ma next class... :)

Some of my favourite notes are in this perfume (sandalwood, amber and musk), however, I cannot wear it! Samsara is way too strong and overpowering, to the point that it gives me a headache and makes me feel quite sick. I don't like it on me, or on anyone else. I have developed an aversion to it.

I just bought an old bottle of this in the refillable gold canister, date 1999. The box still carries the old packaging.
I found this in a shop up in the mountains where they have huge discount. Strange, I thought no older bottle was available in shops, but that is perhaps a different place to buy. Oh, and I broke a EdT tester in the shop and now my mountains boots are covered with Samsara EdT new formula and it's really too much of it! I had to seal them in a bag!
There was a very old bottle with a broken box and it stated 1982, is it possible?
Anyway my bottle 1999 smells just like one of the latest good renditions of Samsara, included the slightly nauseous opening, maybe tarragon?
After a while it settles down and it's the old Samsara! In the base vanilla is dominating and makes the Whole scent very sweet in an old Guerlain vanillic way. It lasts very long.
A good buy for me.

gillylou12
gillylou12

Used this for many years. I asked my 3 children by text once out of interest what smell reminded them of me and the three of them (all in seperate places at the time) text back within seconds...Samsara.

It's a smell that is instantly recognisable and a smell that hits you (in a good way) as soon as you walk into a room where someone is wearing it.

I do use other perfumes but this one is and always will be my favourite.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Wow, what a blast from the past! I must've had an auntie who wore this when I was a kid, because the smell brought me right back.

A bouquet of powdery florals. The citrus lifts though. I can really smell the Ylang-Ylang at the start, then jasmine and rose.

Not a perfume for young women I'd imagine, but it's a classy daytime fragrance in my opinion, for mature women who like floral scents.

LadyPilot
LadyPilot

Patchouli, patchouli, some jasmine and then for a change... patchouli:)))

Nuitdenoel
Nuitdenoel

I truly enjoy this scent. While I do tend to veer to spicy orientals -much to my husband's dismay ;)- Samsara is different on my skin. I get a little powdery vanilla and a mild but unidentifiable spice note.

When I first spritzed this at the store counter, I accidentally used too much pressure and all I could smell was vanilla and anise, strangely enough, and I almost went sour on this scent altogether. However, as I have learned, sometimes going back and using a lighter touch will win results. It smells simply beautiful on my skin.

Contrary to some reviewers' experiences, this does not have an enormous scent radius. My daughter had to put her nose right on my arm to smell it and none of my co-workers can smell it if they are not standing right next to me. I applied it two hours ago.

In short, lovely fragrance although I can see why it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Using a soft touch has worked best for me, although others may be different.

Glamdoc
Glamdoc

Samsara is the reason I joined Fragrantica though I like to read perfume reviews here,matter of fact I bought it because of the reviews here.No regrets. I'm not technical enough to go into what notes are what but the perfume is an experience. Please don't buy if you are faint-hearted or the shy,retiring type.
On a day trawling the high street testing and making notes of perfumes to buy,a sample of the EDT sprayed on my inner wrist stayed with me from morning till night. I was impressed,and that was just EDT. I hunted for and got the EDP and didn't use for a while because i worried i'd be disappointed. Now the experience - I kept sniffing my wrist the entire time. With some perfumes,you require compliments from other people that it's either there,or nice smelling. Not with this one, no validation required. The wearer is made constantly aware of its presence because it keeps wafting to the nostrils.
If you like über-creamy scents,deliciously(not sugary) sweet with a huge presence to match, this is for you. Well done Guerlain!

BayInTN
BayInTN

If everyone loved all the same fragrances, no one would be unique. Samsara smelled fine in the bottle, but on me, it turned quite awful. My chemistry just would not work with it. Whenever I put it on, people would ask me if I felt unwell. Maybe I was pale because I was so unhappy with the way I smelled? Anyway, if there is a terrible Samsara shortage, those who love it have no fear that I might steal theirs. I won't.

garamascara
garamascara

I think that this is the best bang for your buck in the entirity of the perfume universe. It smells great, a bit 80's, but no where near as infamous as Poison or Lou Lou, and it has that distinct Guerlainishness. Creamy Jasmine at its best! The best part is the longevity, a couple of sprays last for days. It does not fade on clothing. I have a scarf that I sprayed with Samsara last year, recently I pulled it out of the closet and it still smells like Samsara. That's amazing! So if you're a budding perfumenista on a budget, get a bottle of Samsara because a little goes a long way and it works hard for the money. This would be my desert island bottle.

Lilimat
Lilimat

I usually don't like sweet smells but Samsara...is an exception.

The perfume develops in a very beautiful sweet, balmy, rich, elegante thing. I can't believe!

The bought the EDT - there was not EDP and the lasting is not very good on my skin. However, in my clothes stay for a day.

I will get a bottle of the EDP. It is totally worth of the money.

Ritarudna
Ritarudna

My mom loves this stuff. To me, its too powdery, smells like straight flour

Scout
Scout

I am genuinely surprised at this fragrance. I expected something completely heavy and intensely made for spicy cold winter nights by the fire. Instead, I am getting Spring flowers at the opening! This is bright and cheerful and sunshine in a bottle.
On drydown, it's becoming smooth and creamy. Still bright, though, but "neutral." Not piercing screaming high-pitched floral, but rather like an edible rose petal dipped in buttery caramel sauce.
To mind the light vanilla honey sweet and powdery and juicy florals of the 80s...Is this Raffinee? Realm? L'Air du Temps? No, wait....I have smelled this before.... This was the scent of a face cream, or a hand cream...no, face ... Not the rosy ones, the sweet powdery ones ... maybe even the face powder itself too?
What I love about this is that it is intense, opaque, if you will, bold -- but not SCREAMING. It's like being cuddled and held. Confident but not at all offensive.
The sweetness reminds of Sea Buckthorn mixed with Vanilla...
No patchouli. Sometimes I think patchouli ruins what could be a good thing because it dominates, and there is none of that here. What you have is a familiar warmth without any of that nose-crinkling "hey I'm wearing perfume, guys" base boldness.
Also, I expected to be knocked over with spicy sandalwood and it is not so. Completely tempered, indistinguishable as its own note. No incense.
I see why this is classified as an oriental, but really it's not like my conceptions of an oriental. This is one hundred percent more than the sum of its parts.
Inoffensive, classy, tasteful, simple, familiar. It's like an elegant updo for long hair:Stylish, simple, flatters the woman and frames her.

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

The first 'grown up' perfume I bought for myself! I wanted to be sophisticated at 12, so went around doused in this...I cant say I actually liked the somewhat astringent, woodsy notes much but tried to make myself like this. Not really a scent for a little girl.
Id like to smell this today and see if I like it any better.
I think I liked the name a lot, Samsara sounds so exotic.
I probably bought it because I liked the name.

AnaIli35
AnaIli35

The most wearable and enjoyable of the classic Guerlain scents, in my opinion. Definitely on the top of my 'Want' list!

sabju
sabju

When I was 17, in 1989, my mother returned from France with a bottle of Samsara, and I thought it was the best perfume I had ever smelled. I recognized even then, that it was WAY too mature for me. Fast forward to the present. After entering my 40's I visited the Guerlain counter to smell Samsara once again. It had lost its punch, but I bought a bottle for my mother (who doesn't even remember the smell *sigh*). I started obsessing enough about the vintage to purchase a small bottle from ebay and yes, it is heaven all over again.
The sandalwood is heavy and present from beginning to end. I can smell the artificial sandalwood even in the vintage bottle and it smells a little plasticky, but I can see how it would boost the natural sandalwood. The jasmine is heavy, but not indolic...I read in another review that it is like the gardens outside a temple...this statement is true. The only negative is the heavy powder. Is this related to the sandalwood or another smell entirely; I cannot tell.
Even though this is my current favorite fragrance, Samsara does have a slightly dated, punch you in the face, 80's Floriental smell. This fragrance is for a mature (40+), confident woman. More appropriate for cool weather evenings, Samsara should be applied with care as sillage is heavy in vintage form. As for the modern formulation, it is less powdery and more delicate, but the Samsara sandalwood/jasmine is unmistakeable and still lovely. I can recommend both vintage and new versions.

deeanna
deeanna

Too much insense, too smoky and a bit too dark for me

briones
briones

so creamy , a must

sophiatwli
sophiatwli

Samsara is a beautiful perfume- very feminine without being sickeningly sweet. I do love the scent, but it is so distinctive that upon smelling it I was sure that I've smelled it on my sixty year old English teacher back when I was in primary school- and I can't shake that image off. Hence, I appreciate the perfume, but it's too mature for me.

plaintain1
plaintain1

This was given to me as gift. Initially I didn't like and kept to one side but a month later I decided to spray some on and I guess, the smell just grew on me. It has a classic old fashioned smell to it if that makes any sense. And a perfume I use occasionally. I had it for about five years and still smells okay.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

I adore sandalwood, and was thrilled to get a decant of Samsara from a friend. It is absolutely lovely, the epitome of sandalwood--soft, woody-incense, a bit sweet, a hint of honey. It is an enveloping aura of comfort and sophistication.

It may be blaspheme to say it, but it reminds me of what I love most about Bijan--a sandalwood honey fragrance with floral and spicy notes blended it. Samsara is a similar sweet, smooth sandalwood, but I don't detect very many other players, not spice nor flowers. Samsara also was nearly linear on my skin, only fading very gradually over about 5 hours. Projection was low, I believe, but strong enough for me to enjoy it without searching to hard.

I think I'll boost Samsara up further in my "want" list, as it is such a classic and classy sandalwood scent.

am78
am78

This fragrance is BEAUTIFUL!!! The floral sweet powdery scent is so feminine. It really makes you feel like a woman.

Alexandre
Alexandre

It's my first Guerlain, my heart is beating stronger with excitement! I'm still getting used to it, will be like a dating, little by little I discover secrets and mysteries ... What I can say is that truly warm, oriental, sweet, sensual and exotic ... I love the video that seems to be set in a Buddhist monastery in Nepal ... All about the name,Samsara means cycle of life, of birth and rebirth, for the buddhists... Later perhaps write more impressions ...

andulce55
andulce55

nádherná-silná vúně

Rizaldo
Rizaldo

Unique!!!

perfumequeen2
perfumequeen2

so i just purchased samsara it is a very beautiful scent. it reminds me of allure edt in the dry down. But the scent itself is so, much more complex than allure.

Shwets
Shwets

I have tried most versions and have the current versions of both the edp and edt.

I loved the edt in the clear bottle with a red top.

However i really like the current edt esp when sprayed on my woolen clothes the dry down is so cozy and delightful.

Im craving this scent in this cold weather.

Fortunately the current versions do not give me a headache/blurry eyes effect like the vintage edp did.

benzippo
benzippo

There is just something not right with the sandal wood accord in the new formulation. Something empty or missing as compared to the vintage juice.

The longevity and sillage has also been compromised.

The new EDP juice can't even compared with the vintage EDT and that is not to mention the vintage EDP version which is so wonderful.

Another pitiful casualty in the name of re-formulation....simply shouting "fraud", legitimate "fraud"!!!

Disgusting!!!

estherica
estherica

Vintage Samsara smells like I remember it from the early 90s-maybe not as strong, but ok for 20years in a bottle- I have no idea about the current version though. For me this scent brings a feeling of confidence and consistency. I love the sandalwood notes and for me this is well balanced between dry wood notes and creamy notes. It's defintely not too sweet, the vanilla is only hinted in the background. A classy scent.

valbona.bergman
valbona.bergman

It is for a woman that is always well dressed, she has respect for herself and power,she does not need anyone except her perls, her coat and this perfume! Her hair are wavy and shinny! It's for the confident women. It smells strong and deep! It has some lust in it some erotic mystery...not dark but promissing...

sky74
sky74

This is just how I remembered it when I smelled it years ago. Beautiful, soft, feminine, timeless. Not strong nor heady at all. has something that I cannot explain, but I love, love it. Best Guerlain ever.

Nil3
Nil3

A blind buy...sort of. Remembered how my roomate used to smell. And she was in her mid twenties...still Samsara was her signature,and will always be,I'm sure of it. I remember a warm and nutty scent. Blind bought it for me last winter. Was like 'NOOOO' when I first sprayed it. Did everything to get rid of it,sell it,exchange it....noone called me. Now that it's almost empty,I;m glad I did this journey. :)
Excuse my beahviour,Guerlain. It's like Guerlain is telling you: Wait,be patient....you'll see and you won;t be dissappointed.
Won't buy it again.....BUUUT,it truly was a pleasure and got well respected compliments.
I mean,COME ON,it's Samsara! :)

octobersun
octobersun

It is definitely one of the loveliest scents ever made - a real ultra feminine masterpiece - passionate, exotic and unforgettable blend of sandalwood, vanilla and jasmine. I always feel a kind of proud when I wear it.

Jekku
Jekku

Samsara was my first perfume, I got it when I was 15 years old - that seems a bit odd now, I think it's a scent for a bit more mature, confident woman. But I loved it when I was a teenager!
I've moved on to lighter floral stuff for daily use since then, but it might be time to have a new go with Samsara as a perfume for night-time occasions.

bellafemmelulu
bellafemmelulu

Too heady for me... I gave it to my Mum who loves those really balmy sort of perfumes... Her favourites are Youth Dew, LouLou and Opium...

zoehhh
zoehhh

EDT review:

There is something so extremely comforting to me about Samsara.

On my skin it smells predominantly of Sandalwood, Jasmine and Vanilla. It is very warm and woody/smoky. On my clothes, however, it seems to smell more fresh and soapy with the fruit actually being noticeable which it isn't on my skin.

I find the EDT to be easily wearable during the day time and I imagine myself wearing this a lot during the Autumn to go shopping or for coffee, wrapped up in a cosy scarf, kicking leaves on the ground as I go.

On the flip side, I can imagine wearing this on dates with my boyfriend or going on a night out.

The ability to wear it during both the day and night makes it incredibly versatile in my opinion.

I voted the sillage as 'moderate' and the longevity is 'long lasting' even though it is an EDT!

amaraztavich
amaraztavich

OK, I havn't smelled the original vintage formulation since the early 90's (I loved it), and resently gave away my newer version (a near full bottle). Not that the new was bad, just not like I remembered, so I was highly anticipating finally receiving my vintage bottle to make comparisons and see if the magic was still there for me.

Well, I can see how some are happy with the new version, but for me, there's just no comparison. The newer version to me smelled like straight powdered makeup with a slight doll head scent. The vintage formula... I can smell the jasmine, I can smell the REAL indian sandalwood... and as it dries down instead of becoming more doll head it becomes more woody vanilla that's been softly sweetened by a delicate rose... just gorgeous.. I think I should grab another vintage edp before they're gone for good

And the vintage lasts a few hours longer, which is no surprise

Update, I've been wearing for about a week now.... and have to say the more I wear the more I can tell the difference and could never go back to the modern version. Something I didn't notice at first is that the vintage ..I mean other than the jasmine , real indian sandalwood and real vanilla, there's also a very noticeable amber note that is definently not in the newer version.l Yes yes yes, the more I wear the more I love and appreciate the old. This is a beautiful class act!

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

I'm very surprised at my reaction to this fragrance! I'd looked forward to testing the legendary Samsara for a while now, and I have to say I was dissapointed. Something was off for me. Maybe a bot of LADDM was hanging around, but I got a play-dough type smell, it was a bit synthetic or plasticky. I'd expected some glorious sandalwood action, but well.. We will re test. I was sent a vintage EDP formula, all the notes line up to a fantastic frag, so I'm not giving up on Samsra on this impression.

Marli1973
Marli1973

To be honest I feel very disappointed with the EDP.I have never tried the older version so I can't compare it.I was expecting a powerful, creamy, woody and floral fragrance but all got was a very subtle skin smell.It was very plasticky to start with and now it is very faint on my skin. I will try again another time...however it is a nice fragrance. x

schamberae

Samsara...You always make me want to eat my wrist when I wear it. delicious smokey vanilla. love it.

stormyla
stormyla

This is one Guerlain fragrance that never appealed to me. This scent is actually repellent to me if I am the wearer. I don't know why. There doesn't seem to be any ingredient in it that's not in any of the other fragrances that I wear. It might be that the intensity is so overwhelming. The scent smells nice on others if not applied too liberally. On the other hand I find Samsara Shine quite pleasing.

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

Overall rating: * * *

Dune's socially awkward, almost-beautiful little sister.

Ben's Aldehyde
Ben's Aldehyde

One-sentence review: Persistently peachy -- sandalwood is lush, but not star of this show.

I'm a sandalwood nerd. I was only 12 when I bought my first vial of Santalum album essential oil (back when the stuff was still relatively inexpensive), and since then, my idea of luxury sandalwood perfume has been unadorned sandalwood -- either minute drops of it neat, or dissolved in alcohol and sprayed on.

After hearing Bois de Jasmin describe Samsara as "a gold standard for sandalwood fragrances" and Perfume Shrine label it "a heavy, bad-ass sandalwood perfume", I was understandably eager to try it. When I found an old-looking bottle (clear glass, gold band) of the edp for a reasonable price, I snapped it up. And…

It's a lovely perfume -- smells real nice and arouses the husband. But it's neither particularly bad-ass, nor my idea of a fragrance showcasing sandalwood.

Luxurious, heavy sandalwood is milky, creamy, rosy, and caramellic. And Samsara is all those things. But sandalwood (no matter how heavy and sweet) is also unmistakably a wood, with that dry, spicy, woody note of fresh-cut logs. And at no time during Samsara's evolution do I find such a woody note prominent. I guess you could say Samsara features "sandal" without the "wood" -- a neat trick, perhaps, but not a complete sandalwood experience.

As for Samsara's alleged bad-assery… Samsara is, above all else, a sweet, girly, approachable perfume.

When I first put Samsara on, I feel like I'm an ylang-ylang-flavored rice pudding. Luscious, yes. Bad-ass, no. Once the white flowers begin to fade, I notice the peach. It's a very pleasant peach. While not exactly like real peaches, it's unmistakably peachy, without that medicinal, plasticky feel that artificial peach too often has. Still "pleasantly peachy" is hardly bad-ass (despite peaches' resemblance to plump, firm buttocks).

Samsara remains peachy and flowery till the very end, leaving a final impression of floral, peach-scented cardboard (the cardboard being the closest Samsara comes to smelling really woody) before vanishing entirely.

Perhaps Samsara's alleged bad-assedness lies in the fact that it is so approachable. Samsara is so friendly and so very, very pleased to meet you. A woman who is too approachable gets a reputation for easy virtue. But is she really a bad-ass? She's more of a danger to herself than she is to others.

sergified
sergified

Was going through my mom's medicine cabinet today and found a bottle of this and an esprit de parfum of Poison. I sprayed some on my hand since TBH I've never smelled anything by Guerlain. I must say it is very strong and powdery but smells so classy and sophisticated. I find it funny my mom would own either one of those fragrances, apparently they were gifts from my dad (They aren't cheap now I can only imagine what a big deal it was to buy it back then). It gave me a little peek into what she was like back in the day. Also I think my mom would strangle him if he spent more than 20 bucks on perfume nowadays.

Alessia C
Alessia C

This is one of the best smelling perfumes of all time. I've worn Samsara Eau De Toilette by Guerlain for several years which says a lot. I love Samsara..it is so very very nice...it's sexy...

mad.kat.96
mad.kat.96

I got both the mini edp in the clear bottle and the a mini in the red at a discount/outlet store. Supposedly nearly full testers for $20 US

I love the smell but was really expecting and looking forward to a powerhouse, but not getting the strenght, lenght or sillage I expected, wonder if they were watered down =(

Great Sandalwood, vanilla, ylang ylang & amber scent, will definately wear often

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

I moved to Europe in the early nineties and decided that it was time to start wearing perfume, which I'd never considered beyond vanilla scented body lotion before. I liked the ads for Samsara, and of course the name, which I knew from a Hindu studies course in college. Back in those days I was terrified of makeup counters and salespeople in general. So I went up to the counter, sprayed some Samsara on my wrist, took a whiff, decided that would do and promptly bought a bottle. Lucky for me, I wound up loving Samsara and wore it exclusively for a couple of years. For some reason I only like the way it smells on me. Whenever I get a whiff of this on someone else, I don't like it much. Eventually I moved on to other perfumes and when I came back to the States I found it no longer suited me. It had started to smell the same on me as it always had on everyone else. I think it is very sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity, though it has been suggested that reformulation might be the culprit
Samsara is a very powerful, sexy fragrance. The drydown is a sweet, creamy bliss of sandalwood, tonka and vanilla and is definitely the best part. The heart has a lot of sandalwood and jasmine and I think it might be the Iris that I don't really care for. It's completely unique though and associated with a lot of beautiful memories for me.

esmerelda69
esmerelda69

It's the amateur again.
Ahhhh Samsara!
Another beauty that is now accompanied by Mitsouko on my dresser. You've got to love Sandalwood to appreciate this. The opening is my favorite though, it makes me swoon so I find myself spraying more than I need to sometimes just for that alone. A winter evening scent for me although I like to waft around the house drenched in it anytime.

degauss
degauss

Let me, an irreverent blasphemer, say this: no. This is a classic, yes. Even if you never had this perfume, your memory recognizes it the immediate moment you register the scent. Do all classics stand the test of time, and, more importantly, is it for a good reason? This one has, it's obvious. I don't understand why. It's a soapy, mildly floral, sandalwood scent. There is nothing, nothing whatsoever remarkable about it. It's not even pleasant - which is subjective, obviously, but I can appreciate complex scents even if I don't personally like them. I've tried it out so many times and in so many different conditions, and this hasn't changed. I suspect a lot of its popularity may have to do with sentimentality, I do see a lot of women of age wearing it. Some may be due to a desire to "touch" the classics, the history in a way. And I do get it. But I don't enjoy it. Sophistication and opulence? No. Maybe it's the reformulation, maybe it's the more inventive, inspired competition that does not insist that I be a lady of flowers and powder - Samsara, as is, is not what it says on the tin; it's just an idea that falls short.

I know I'm in the minority here, but a little dissent now and then is healthy, no?

camarillo
camarillo

my mother really adore this perfume. I remember when she spend her money just to buy this perfume =| classic perfume and really match when you wear at evening. I guess this perfume is not for young girl who come to their school this is really for mature woman.

schamberae

it's been 2 weeks since i wear Samsara, and still this fragrance gives me a calm and warm feeling. feels like samsara has 100 hands that massage my head and my back, lol. for the women who want a perfume that shows your independent irresistible personality should buy Samsara.

ForrealMe2
ForrealMe2

This is a nice scent but it smells so similar to other fragrances i have like coco chanel with added peaches..it is woody and spicey.. plus it was very weak on me which was a big downer for Samsara..i can still smell it hours later but its too weak not enough sillage like i wanted...in the dry down the peach really shines like a honeyed peach..nice but not enough for me to be drawn to it i am returning it..

beauty_girl
beauty_girl

I have this as a sample in edt and the notes in this version are jasmine,sandalwood and vanilla. I like it a lot and i think it is good in summer, beacuse it just get stronger by the heat, not overpowering or heavy :)It reminds me of Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds Pure perfume wich i also have and that too can be worn in the summer heat :)

chuwey
chuwey

Its my mom's favorite..
Heavy, strong and long-lasting..

I smell sandalwood and ylang2... not for me, but I like to sniff it on my mom.. XD

schamberae

I just bought it 2 days ago by blind buy, and i bought a rejected/tester one (no box but original) and it cost $20 only for 100 ML EDP (I live in Indonesia). I was so excited because this oriental fragrance will be my next signature scent. it gives me a million dollars feeling, captured a sacred moment of oriental stuff and remains me of classic 90's strong independent woman like my aunt.soothe me when I smell it just like in a rich spa in some far away land. one day in my office (i'm a frontliner) some guests came in and smell my perfume and they said this room smell lovely, and once when my friend came back from the toilet she said she could smell my scent before she entered the room, LOL. recommended for women 25 yrs >. trust me, it smells like Nirvana or when you relax in an oriental rich luxurious spa and you are the one that they adore. I just want to sniff over and over again.

julesk
julesk

I had it, it had a strong old smell. I didn't like it...

windhill
windhill

This perfume take a huge place of good memories in my life. The smell of my mother.

Timeless creamy and sweet warm floral. I love it very much and will never forget this scent. Ever.

born for shalimar

They say i am a woman of a few words.perfume makes my mood my inner love i am in love when i wear Samsara .the fragrance of love on a hot night wooing the lover of my mind.wear this perfume day or night .it gives me confidence and boosts my femininity .it was made by a man who knows a womans heart.jasmin sandlewood vanilla .timeless enchanting love in a bottle.

born for shalimar

They say i am a woman of a few words.perfume makes my mood my inner love i am in love when i wear Samsara .the fragrance of love on a hot night wooing the lover of my mind.wear this perfume day or night .it gives me confidence and boosts my feminimety.it was made by a man who knows a womans heart.jasmin sandlewood vanilla .timeless enchanting love in a bottle.

redsuedekitten
redsuedekitten

A wonderful fragrance: rich, heady, creamy, energising. It's sexy, warm and sweet, and elevates my mood. I believe there is something quite primal about this, something that appeals to the subconscious. Perhaps it's reminiscent of being cuddled as an infant, being held close to the mother's breast, or the smell of the skin of a lover. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's somehow a very human, corporeal scent.

It's a relatively simply constructed perfume. It goes on with quite a strong blast of jasmine, which settles a little in the first 30 minutes or so, revealing more of the sandalwood. It then seems to remain fairly linear through the drydown. It's one of those rare perfumes that lasts on the skin and radiates well, even the EDT strength, which I currently have. On me, it lasts a good 6-8 hours, projecting the whole time. This is the sign of a good quality perfume. I also find this a versatile fragrance that can be worn at any time.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

This fragrance is very potent and I only bought one bottle of it and wore it around the same time that I was experimenting with stronger oriental type blends like Coco Chanel, Cinnebar by Estee Lauder, and Shalimar.

This is too strong for me, although some other people may adore it. It gives me a tremendously bad headache - the same way that Shalimar does. I can't wear these two.

I can see the reference to this smelling like Tuscany by Estee Lauder. That is another one that is NOT one of my favorites. Something in the undertones of this are NOT harmonious with my chemistry, very similar to Obsession by Calvin Klein. I can't wear this type of blend with my chemistry, they go very soapy and wear wayyyyyy too STRONG!!!

lilsniffer
lilsniffer

This review is for the edp formulation of a few years ago. I don't know if it's been changed more recently.

Ah, jasmine, how do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways... I really want to love Samsara, but somehow it fails spectacularly on my skin. I get a loud, noxious and chemical jasmine that smells nothing like the beautiful flowers in real life and gives me a headache. And I thought I loved sandalwood until Samsara's tenacious drydown convinced me otherwise. I think this is another case of the fragrance just not working with my chemistry. Apologies to the lovers out there.

edit:I wore this out in the heat today and it bloomed in a way I haven't experienced before. While I think it is too heavy to actually wear in the heat, I began to understand why so many people love this. It does not bloom like that in the winter for me. Still not for me, but ok, I get it.

Darkfemme
Darkfemme

This perfume smells nice on from the bottle, but when is sprayed it on my skin, it changed into something terrible. It reminded me of some old grumpy woman from my childhood days. Not for me.

Debshee
Debshee

This perfume is why I try to wear scents that don't have huge sillage. I absolutely hated this scent back in the day. Fortunately, I haven't smelled it recently. I caught a whiff of it 5 years ago and it was just as bad then as it was back in the 90s. In addition to woody and balmy, I'd add yucky.

chillalot

I bought this in college 20 years ago but I found it too much for me so i gave it to my mom...it became her signature scent...sexy and very very grown woman. My mom passed away a few years ago...I have her last empty bottle on my dresser and it still smells like her...yeah I guess you could call that some good juice

Inesis
Inesis

Unfortunately not for me. I tried this at the local store and like most classics, it has the recognizable smell of an 80's and 90's perfume (trying hard not to say 'old' here...). Didn't smell much on top of that smell and it really puts me off. Maybe it's my chemistry, but at least for now I can't love Samsara.

hontapocasgreen
hontapocasgreen

This was one of my first purchases as an adult. I had to be about 19 years old and I fell in love with it. It was 1992. I wore this and a few other powerhouses in rotation. My then best friend at the time was so intrigued by the scent, she went out and bought a dupe of it at mall kiosk.

I used to get sandalwood, amber,vanilla, and some jasmine from this. It is a very intoxicating scent. In some cases, it can almost wear you instead of you wearing it. It is definitely one that doesn't go well with everyone's body chemistry either.

I purchased and used it up twice. I don't own this anymore because I fell out of love with it and it had some crazy scent memories tied to it. Estee Lauder's Tuscany per Donna is a milder, more wearable version. Very similar, just not as in your face.

den1011
den1011

Only 2 words to describe this one: Timeless fragrance. It never gets old. It's classic and elegant yet modern. sweet, floral, warm and rich, without being overpowering. One of Guerlain's best. Makes you feel like a million dollars.

freddinos
freddinos

Ah Samsara... We are back in the 90s, circa 1992. My junior high History teacher was wearing Samsara as her signature. I can almost remember her soft voice and kindness, and smelling her amazing scent whenever she was near me. I remember buying a cheap replica later on, as Samsara was such a hit in the 90s! Today I'm wearing the real thing,with smoky almost incense like sandalwood and sweet ylang ylang filling the air, and cannot help but feel nostalgic and a bit out of place... For me the olfactory associations with a certain era are just too much, and I simply cannot wear Samsara any more. But only for a bit I can close my eyes and become a schoolgirl again! That's why I love perfumes...

Rawannnna
Rawannnna

ever since I was a child, I used to see the commercials of Samsara, something about the women in the adv, made me feel comfortable, relaxed and happy. although I love perfumes for years and collect them, never thought of this masterpiece, today, at a shop, I so it, as if it was calling me, the lovely warm vanilla, this mix of oriental balmy notes, this calming sexy scent! it also has different layers, fresh at start, deceiving, them a very subtle and relaxing vanilla-tonka and flowers.

I knew that I would wear this one day! lucky to find you Samsara.

persefoni
persefoni

i've been meaning to write about the 3-4 perfumes that ignited my "love" of smells for some time now...

Samsara was one of them!

A super-long-lasting eau de perfume, with lots of sandalwood and iris ( still have the older bottle) and right ahead the amber and vanilla give it a soothing winter warmth. I know many people smell jasmine here, but i don't.. I do however get a tad of bergamot... Above all this unforgettable woody-vanilla-oriental smell calms the senses! When i breathe in, it fills my lungs with its warmth....

22 years later and i still love it !!

Berlynn
Berlynn

Creamy sandalwood, vanilla and Jasmine are the strongest notes on me with this fragrance. I know sandalwood is sort of iffy on some people, but it works well for me. It's very strong on initial application, but dries into soft powdery notes. I was unsure about this one, expecting another 80's powerhouse, but Samsara surprised me. Soft and feminine and very exotic and mysterious.

AnnetteInFrance
AnnetteInFrance

I find something quite medicinal about this. Not one to blind buy as it's too unique and needs to be worn to see if it works on you.

amoregal

Thanks for your input judies6. It sounds like from the reviews that I would like it. Posters are saying the EDT is strong enough, so I may try that first.

Sometimes, I just spritz on one of my favorites before I go to bed. It helps me sleep.

lily13ana

Tested at Douglas edp and it was horrible, smelled like something rotten. Maybe was an old ester....

deannadd1985@hotmail.com
deannadd1985@hotmail.com

This is my favorite perfume of all time. It was mine & my mother's favorite. I think of her everytime I smell it! It has a mysterious sexy seductive scent to it! I love it because I can really smell the vanilla, ylang-ylang, & sandalwood in it...however it smells almost exactly like Lily of the Valley to me! (I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned here!) Anyway, it was very popular in the late 90's~everyone in my family wanted it & had it! Great memories! It also introduced me to the awesome Guerlain products.

schwarzpennella
schwarzpennella

I love this perfume!! I have been wearing it since 10th grade& I'm 35. It's so different. Believe me it smells different on you then someone else smelling you..if that makes sense!? I love it so much I think I'm going to order it again..expensive though:(

malikado
malikado

rich with special effect on your mood
one of the most important perfumes i ever had
brings memories to everyone

judies6
judies6

To amoregal: If you like Tuscany and Dior's Dolce Vita you will surely enjoy Samsara. The vanilla, sandelwood ad peach notes of the latter two fragrances are definable in both. I find Samsara the most sultry of them all.

purplemuse
purplemuse

This was my signature scent for a long time. The key to wearing it for me was to spray it onto a q tip and dab lightly on major pulse points: inside elbow, groin and carotid.

I never cared for the top notes but the mid notes are nice and spicy, the "signature" aspect for me were the base-notes. Mingled with my own scent this is an intoxication scent and when used sparingly the scent does not radiate in a scent pool around you, yet within the slipstream of my passing people would actually lean into me and ask what scent I was wearing.

My children have memories of this scent on me and it reminded them of snuggling with me and a sense security. In fact, when my daughter moved away I knitted her a scarf and she requested that before I sent it to her that I wear it around my neck for several days to smolder it with the base scent she loved so well. I then had to bag it press all the air out and zip it shut and then mail it to her. It became her security blanket so-to-speak and I would have to "recharge" it for her periodically and send it back.

Unfortunately, I cannot wear this scent anymore because that daughter passed from this world suddenly and I can't bear wearing it for all the longing I feel for her.

Sparingly is the key word for this wonderful scent that I graduated to from Guerlain's orginal Shalimar. It is a scent that says, "I embrace the power of womanhood."

lspreack
lspreack

Mmmmm she is an intoxicating lady.

On my skin Samsara is a powdery, smoky jasmine & ylang scent. It smells quite exotic and there's an incense "feel" to it versus a tobacco smoke.
I'd say it's more suited to semi-casual wear than Shalimar, but it's definitely not a "going to the laundromat" appropriate scent. I'd say it's a "having lunch with my lady friends at a nice restaurant" appropriate.

Albalonga
Albalonga

@foxy princess, You helped me a lot! I'm planning to buy new perfume in autumn I suppose (my Dune will be finished then, I think) and I'm wonder if Samsara is a good choice. Why Samsara? Because Tuscany per Donna, which I love, smells almost the same but now I can't buy it anywhere. Samsara EDP is too strong for everyday wearing, EDT will be perfect I hope (and it's much cheaper). I'm from country where the number of cold days is much higher than warm moments, so that kind of scents suits me very well ;)

anna.glowacka
anna.glowacka

This is for me smell full of memories from early '90 when my mum used to bring home a lot of perfume samples. Everyday i could test something new. I remember it was so exciting. I already ordered this perfume once but it was not on stock so i got refund. Maybe it was my sign not to get it. Today i was at Sephora i saw it and decided to test and came back for a while to my child years. And it happened. But also something else happened - i don't like the smell anymore. It smells like coughing syrup mixed with camphor oil which somebody spilt in a spices & herbs store. It's just too much of everything in one bottle. I still like it as a reminder of the past but i won't but full bottle.

EDIT:
I become an owner of Samsara EDT, the one i tested before was EDP (review above) it was too medicinal and herbal. EDT is milder to my nose, more pleasant. My bf says it remind him of herb tea. Or i changed mu taste in this short amount of time or there's really so much difference between these 2 versions. I enjoy my Samsara during cold or hot days, to me it seems universal. It's unique for some reason, its not fruity, not really floral nor sweet. It has moderate sillage on me and lasting power also moderate.

foxy_princess
foxy_princess

I was having a browse in the Guerlain section of House of Fraser yesterday. I was curious to smell this however something arose and I had to quickly leave, before I did however I asked the sales assistant to spray this on a sample card for me. She sprayed the Eau de Toilette version and without smelling it I said thank you and tossed the card in my bag and went home. When I got home I placed the sample card on my dresser again without smelling it and went to help my mum cook in the kitchen. A good two hours passed and then I went back to my room to grab something from my dresser. Suddenly I caught a whiff of velvety luxurious woods and incense, gently wafting up my nose, and at arms length from the table. I stood there for a good minute sniffing that table like a crackhead and then I realised the sample card incredibly fragranced my whole vanity area. It was a stunning smell, for me, rich amber with velvety roses and orris root. 18 hours later and the smell is still wafting from my table and what stuns me is that this is the eau de toilette! You guys can save a bit of money and buy the EDT concentration because its lasting power is gargantuan! :) hope this helped!

Dara813
Dara813

I think this is the most lovely, unique, long-lasting scent that I have ever come across. Well, I actually came across Shalimar, also from Guerlain, on my grandmother. She then bought me a bottle of the beautiful Samsara because she thought it was a little more age appropriate for me and I guess she thought I wouldn't want to smell like her. I fell in love instantly! I love this and so does my husband. It smells like nothing else in a very good way. It's powdery, spicy, woodsy..just perfect!

Puddy Cat
Puddy Cat

I just received Samsara EDP today as a blind buy, at first spray I was a lil taken a back, not what I expected, very strong & in your face synthetic sandalwood, I did not think I liked it at all, but then after 30 mins it started to mellow into the most lovely sensual & comforting creamy scent that I was very bewildered by & could not stop sniffing my wrist mmmmmm, 2 hour's later my hubby came home & as he approached me he said "yummmm what are you wearing today? you smell beautiful" :-) now it is 4 hour's after the initial spray & I love samsara very much, she has molded herself beautifully into my skin & is just dreamy

what a complex & myserious lady you are my dear Samsara xxxx

edit: after looking at my bottle it is actually the EDT. now 6 hour's later I am falling more & more in love with Samsara ............ precious x

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

In the holidays of my student years in the early 90s, I worked as a waitress in a hotel owned by a Hindu who was married to a Sikh lady. I remember her wafting past me and I remarked how good she smelled and she said 'It's Samsara'.

I've always liked the smell of sandalwood and I empathise with those people who find this perfume has changed. Apparently sandalwood supplies are becoming extinct, though the hope is that more Mysore sandalwood trees will be grown and developed.

I've tried most Guerlains and this is one that I can handle, it's not too sharp or scenty, not too many flowers. It seemed fitting to me that a Sikh lady married to a Hindu man would wear this fragrance to respect the Hindu concept of Rebirth - 'Samsara'. But I can see that synthetic sandalwood doesn't quite hit the mark. I used to have a powdered form of real sandalwood which I used (a bit decadently!) as a kind of 'shake-and-vac' for special occasions so I know how full the aroma of sandalwood can be.

Still, this is nice - mildly woody, comforting, not cloying, subtly floral, savoury, creamy and sweet. Still says sandalwood to me. It's the one Guerlain that I don't find either too girly or too old school.

My skin is fairly dry, and perfume evaporates fast, so the lack of strong musks means this doesn't overpower in terms of sillage

aveilhe
aveilhe

This was one of my signatures in the 90s. It's funny to read other reviewers call it "heavy" -- I used to think it was so soft and sensual. Looking back, it probably WAS less loud than my other regulars: Angel, Venezia, Casmir, JPG Classique. Ah, how our perceptions change over time -- I could never pull off those heavy scents these days (a bit headache-inducing), but I still feel drawn to Samsara.

I was feeling nostalgic for it the other day, so I went into Ulta to give it a sniff (and possibly purchase it again). Wow! Did it ever smell different! I recall Samsara being warm, creamy, woody, rich. The new formulation came across as sharp and flat. How disappointing. To be fair, I should probably try a sample of the reformulation on my skin, just to give a more thoughtful review. I will try to do that and update this at a later date.

In the meantime, I would really like to find a new fragrance that features sandalwood as predominantly (and gorgeously) as Samsara once did...but perhaps with a bit more subtlety ;)

40plus&fab
40plus&fab

My signature in the early 90's with a supporting cast of RL Safari, Ysatis, Amarige, Paloma Picasso in the rotation!!! I tried it again (I assume reformulated) and it was defiantely and disappointingly "dated". Too heavy for my style today. But aaahhh the Memories....

nicolevivi
nicolevivi

incense incense incense, and wood

vintage_scent

I have already written a review for the lovely Samsara, but I just wanted to say for the record, that I am a non-smoker who PROUDLY wears this gem. Samsara is a perfume that is bold and forward and represents the time it was released better than any other from that decade. I think it lives up to all the Guerlain masterpieces of the past.
The vintage EDP was pure perfection.

Zzzut

Some people here seem to believe that you either love or hate Samsara. Well, I must admit that I am one of those who hate this fragrance with a passion. I have known that fragrance since the day it was launched and I could never get used to it. To me, Samsara is truly headache in a bottle. It is neither subtle nor refined. It reeks of jasmine and musk and it is strong enough to raise the dead. Where I live, many of the women who seem to appreciate Samsara are smokers, for some reason. The stench of stale smoke combined with the loud heavy musty fumes of Samsara is enough to make anyone sick. I am a big fan of Guerlain's fragrances both masculine and feminine, especially the classics, but Samsara is a total failure as far as I am concerned. I wonder what Jean-Paul Guerlain's ancesters would think of it. I am not so sure they would approve.

teilani
teilani

I have the reformulated EDP. I wish I had the original because I like elements of Samsara, but my grief the artificial sandalwood is wicked. It's sharp and obnoxious. I have the feeling the first formulation using real sandalwood lives up to its name.

So, until I encounter the original, I remain saddened by my bit of the reformulation, which leaves me grasping at what was.

it is classic,u can change perfume but u always back to Samsara EDP when u need to feel special and unique.I love powdery in all perfumes.It is long lasting and strong perfume and i love to feel how change main notes in hours.I am Moon in Leo positioned girl also Piscean ,so i cant without perfume tastings:)Samsara Guerlain same as D&G for women red classic,Lancome"Treasure" and Dior"Addict"are my "weapons"depends on the "main"purpose.I adore them all!

ginawadsworth

Here I sit with Samsara on one wrist and Jicky on the other. I was up late night - working a night shift and I feel rather worse for wear to say the least. Jicky with it's refreshing aura and Samsara with it's creamyness both helping to kick start my day. I could not be happier surrounded by such beauty.

I obtained a bottle of the new formulation in a swap a couple of years ago, and didn't think much of this scent. However, as I gained more of an understanding of reformulations, I thought I'd give this another try. The new version impressed me as poorly blended and with low quality ingredients, at least relative to what I would expect from Guerlain. The vintage version (I've only tried the EdP) is something entirely different. The sandalwood is just right, and doesn't have that "pottery shattering" quality Tania Sanchez mentioned. Everything smells so natural and all the notes play off each other perfectly. This is not especially complex, but the naturalness and blending gives it just enough dynamism to make it work. If you can find the vintage at a reasonable price I suggest you get some, assuming you like the notes for this one. The vintage is a clear glass bottle with gold cap, and there is a metallic band across the middle that is gold on top and black on the bottom. The new ones are red with a gold band in the middle (at least this is what I think is the case), as you see in the picture above.

RGR
RGR

I don't know why but every time I smell this on someone I think of arabian nights, of princess jasmine getting pampered in her boudoir, I think of lavish golden jewelry and oriental palace halls. This is a queen surrounded by servants and she makes no excuses for it. She loves opulence and attention. She is an exotic woman from a far away land.

I absolutely love the way jasmine flowers are portrayed here. The fruit and flowers make a strong statement in the entrance making the flowers bloom even more. The spicy and vanilla amber frames the flowers like jewels in the dry down.
I feel like this perfume is in itself an exotic journey and the ending is marvelous.
This just smells expensive, classy and lavish. The effects of this perfume I have no words for. It will turn heads, gather compliments and make you memorable. You may also gather some haters who do not understand this scent also but I wouldn't worry because this scent is for those who do not need to give explanations.
I cannot stress the fact that only a little amount of this perfume will get you very far.

Pitchlara
Pitchlara

I was using this scent when I was early 20's.
What was I thinking about?
It was too mature and sensual for me at that age.
My colleauge told me I smelled like some temple alter.
Yeah, she was right.
I don't mind trying now many decades after that.
None the less, as a perfume itself, the scent is wonderful.

yvankraft
yvankraft

Yes, it is sweet. But in such a comfortable way that it's impossible to resist getting a bottle of this... how could I say, "love elixir". Every element, every flower in this perfume is really Oriental: Persian jasmine (not Grasse jasmine), Ottoman red roses (not English white roses) and sacred Indian sandalwood. The deep red bottle was inspired in an image of Buddha. Samsara means the great cycle of births and rebirths which retain us attached to our karma. So, it's voluptuous, telluric, but longing for spiritual freedom.

FoxyVixen
FoxyVixen

Normally, this perfume would be my type of perfume, but I found that the drydown smells like Poison by Dior. It smells sweet to me.

amoregal

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have been toying with the idea of trying this perfume. It seems to have the ingredients I usually go for. I like to wear Dolce Vita, Organza Indecence (my favorite), Amarige Mariage, Dior Addict, Tuscany per Dona, Casmir, Curve Vintage Soul.

What I want to know is do you Samsara afficianados think Samsara would be for me by knowing the scents I prefer? I seem to be drawn to woodsy, florientals.

Thanks for your input.

Edit: Well, I finally got a bottle of Samsara. I am not disappointed. However, I do not see any resemblance to Tuscany Per Dona. Samsara is much warmer and more exotic than TPD. I get a cozy feeling from it and love the sweet, powdery dry-down. On me, I need just a couple spritzes. I noticed that if I use more, it is too strong and loses it softness. I have to remind myself that less is more.

Deanne1407
Deanne1407

I'm not as experienced in the different elements or their appeals, etc. as most of the people here, so pardon my basic attempts, as I try to put this into mere words.

Samsara...the sheer unique, multi-faceted essence of woman, all that she is, wants to & dreams of being...ever evolving, it exudes, envelopes, mesmerises, excites, tantalises & full of promise of every nature...alluding to passion of all natures yet to come, not just sensual, wild yet classic...exotic yet quixotic, every range of emotion rippling through, wave after wave...the Bhuddist ideal of birth, life, death to rebirth & every emotion in between...every aspect woman...every aspect of me.

All I know is that in Dec. 1989 I was spritzed, with the original, newly released version; I tumbled into love, & instantly was taken on a journey that has not yet ended & probably never will.
Over the years, I have tried many others to see if I could be wrong, but never... as I raised my daughter, a bit of a collector who never seemed to grasp my loyalty to just one scent, I taught her that one day, like the very few true "loves" that we are granted, you too will find your life-long scent & you will recognise it imediately, she wasn't so sure & did the usual...dabbled with all sorts, but a few months ago, she found hers & now appreciates the true depth of my theory. Hers is Alien.
Samsara EDP scent evolves on your skinn, unlike the way other more modern scents do, it constantly changes, seemingly with mood, ambience, season, although unlike others who puzzle me, I wear it all years round, amount varying on time of day & arena.
Only a small amount is needed & it permeates the surroundings but not in an aggressive manner, it lingers for days, even after washing, ironing, etc it will arise gently when you don't expect it, through the steam, flooding sweet memories, flitting across your mind.
Many have tried to list the variant natures and tried to encapsulte every facet and I could try, but it would take too long as they are so varied.
If asked for my immediate vision on first thought, I picture a vibrant, sultry, carefree beauty with tousled hair, beckoning over her, shoulder, wending her way through a vibrant, pulsating scene promising & well able to deliver blissfull, never-ending fulfillment of every nature, leading towards complete fulfillment...the ultimate woman in every sense...the ultimate fantasy made real.
I can always pick it out in a crowd, & regularly get asked about it, especially recently by younger women as well as peers. Some have never heard of it as it is a classic of years gone by, but most will ask for a cheeky spray & how could I refuse when a work friend had volunteered me this service all these years ago?
I do prefer the EDP to the EDT but have managed with both as family responsibilites changed, but now that my family is grown I will not revert to anything but the true original, the true me.
A chance encounter that changed me and my self-perception...Jean-Paul Geurlain certainly knew what he was doing & I am forever thankful.

Sassy1

I just obtained a "vintage" bottle (clear, not red)and it definately has more cool powdery iris in it than the current version. Seems like the top notes are more vivid, the stage transitions are smoother and the sandalwood has much more of a dry spice to it. Divine.

Winter is Samsara's season.

Crystal-Clear
Crystal-Clear

I have worn a wide variety of perfumes over the years and have found this one to be unique in one particular category. Samsara has never failed to arouse attention, from both men and women, who boldly stop me to ask: what is that wonderful perfume you are wearing?

s_athena
s_athena

I bought an original formula EDP from eBay for a song (poor guy didn't know what he was selling!). If you're like me and only heard about perfumes that use sandalwood, and never really learned what it smelled like by itself, this is Sandalwood 101. If you can't stand this one, especially the vintage, sandalwood is probably not for you.

When I first tried it, I got that very distinctive "chemical-rubber" note that made me recoil in horror at first, but becomes a more tolerable woodsy-powder smell as it dries, with a supporting cast of vanilla and ylang-ylang. Sandalwood in this heavy dose is definitely an acquired taste, but I started to really like it over time and sniff obsessively when I wore it. I do prefer Allure Sensuelle's take on sandalwood (OH SACRILEGE!!!) to Samsara, though, just because it's a bit more "accessible". Samsara is transcendental meditation sandalwood, more spiritual distance and concentration on seeking enlightenment beyond earth. Allure Sensuelle is more like earthly seduction, probably because of the heavier emphasis on patchouli and aphrodisiac vanilla. Call it "effective corporate marketing" if you must, but that's just what my nose prefers.

Samsara takes some getting used to, but if you give it a chance, you'll find yourself coming around to it or even possibly falling in love with it. For my taste, though, I can get away with the new version just fine. The new version is more watered-down and less challenging, but for me it's not enough of a step down to warrant sending out the search parties (especially since I never had a big personal attachment to "good" vs. "bad" sandalwood). Besides, for someone who prefers wearing fragrance to collecting it for "art appreciation", sometimes a little less challenge can be a good thing. Some of us need the step-stool to push ourselves up to the Nirvana of "high perfumery" as art form. Nevertheless, I'd say you should seek out at least a sample of vintage, if only to educate your nose and see what you might (or might not) be missing.

jadejoann4
jadejoann4

I loved it in the stores so i decided to read up on it. Well, lots of people recommended the older version over the new so I purchase the original formula. Well, I loved the new formula on me but the original does not sit well on my skin. The fact is that the two are different. The original smells more dry flowers like and powdery. I'm not a powder fan. The new smells unique. Can't really describe it. I liked the old but love the new. Will buy new later on this week.

Ce11estion
Ce11estion

In 1990 I was in a store trying on a silk blouse, when I smelt this timeless exotic heady woody perfume someone must have left on it after trying it on for themselves, I loved it so much but didn't know what it was, I had caught the same smell every now and then over the years and was quite frustrated to not know what this fragrance was, until 3 years ago when I found it was my cousins signature perfume, I quickly ordered a 100ml edt which disappeared after 2 months, not through use but the bottle literally got lost.. so now I have a 30ml edt and 100 ml edp (recommended) which came last month.. the sillage intensity and longevity are so much stronger on the edp it makes sense to go for this on an economical basis alone. I get asked a lot by people as to the name, my friends of course know it well and are aware that I am close by if I happen to be wearing this classic, and I doubt I will ever tire of it, but do go easy on it!
* update.. just won some vintage Samsara edp so feeling pretty pleased! can't wait to try it : )
* update 2. just won a full 100ml vintage edt to go with my vintage edp, still an awesome smell!

flashax
flashax

You can smell this a mile away!

But that isn't necessarily a bad thing!

My grandma has worn this for as long as i can remember, and as fabulous and glamorous as she is i cant help but associate this (in a good way) with her (& in a not so good way (with old ladies)...ok i said it, it is a bit 'old lady' but that isn't an insult! For me its very classic, certainly a sophisticated and 'expensive' type of smell thats perfect for an older woman.

I wouldn't recommend this for anyone under the age of about 50 and as far as I'm concerned younger girls and men probably shouldn't wear this unless you want to smell like you've spilled your nana's perfume allover you!

This is SUPER strong so bare that in mind if you are considering trying Samsara.

Sophisticated & classic but not for everyone!

Sammie7
Sammie7

Gorgeous fragrance! So many love this when I have worn it! Last long and smells so woderful!

sumrdream
sumrdream

Strong and intriguing, sexy spicy I love the "gingerbread" note that a lot of people associate with this perfume. Very heavy a little goes a long way! I wore this in the 80's and might try it again!

Repogirl
Repogirl

I visit various perfume stores several times a week and for whatever reason, I missed this one for years. After submitting a post on heavy sandalwood scents, this was recommended to me by several members so I actively searched for this. It was there all along but I missed it, I am so thankful that it was recommended.

I am in LOVE with this scent...this is a true masterpiece in my mind - sexy, soft, rich, lusty, intriguing, alluring, everything.

As others have noted, it's quite strong so only a little is needed and the lasting power is amazing. And you can really smell the creamy sandalwood in this which is my all time favorite note.

Even though this has been out for decades, this is my new signature scent!

stormsavage
stormsavage

What drew me to Samsara was its intrigue. We had been browsing colognes and the clerk was showing us the best sellers. When I picked up this one, I had to go back to smell it several times because it was so intriguing. My husband loved it as well. We still love this fragrance. It's not the scent for everyone but that's what perfume is all about...finding one that is you. Samsara is me. Intriguing, mysterious and sensual, I love it. If you're looking for something different, something classy, give this one a try.

Jarrah
Jarrah

Mixed feelings. Bought this cuz i thought it's going to smell strong, but it wasn't as strong as i thought it would be. and it has this Henna note to it which i hate. Not disappointed cuz it smells good when it cools down, it's just that i thought it would have some sort of connection with Shalimar which is strong, sexy and long long lasting.

karolla28
karolla28

Sexy, classy,mysterious, elegant! Not for every woman, only for special :) I love how I can explore sandalwood in this fragrance. One of my best ever perfumes.

nagasiren
nagasiren

This perfume smell so light on me, I didn't get the woody note at all...very floral and powdery, with the hint of citruses and green note. Maybe I got the fake? Or my body chemistry screwed this frag? (as usual)

leighhannah
leighhannah

This is a very comforting scent for me, although it can be too heavy in hot weather. It was the first perfume I bought, so I have a lot of fond memories from it, and will always have it in my collection. It is round and buttery and womanly. I have the EDT, and the top notes seem a little harsh to me today. I will only buy the EDP from now on, and it would be awesome to score a vintage bottle with the real sandalwood. One full spray lasts all day so use lightly.

Raquel73
Raquel73

I want try this again.Guerlain and me aren´t good friends, in my skin this parfums are a few strange and very masculine and others are very powder.Perhaps this week I give it to this one other oportunity :-))

m3phist023
m3phist023

This was my first "real" perfume. I fell in love with it at first sniff from the folds of my older sister's Vogue magazine. It smelled like faraway exotic places to my 13 year old nose. I had to have it! I received it as a Christmas gift in 1990, and it was my constant olfactory companion through junior high and high school. I guess I was a precocious child, or just had a penchant for the wildly inappropriate even then.
I still have periodic visitations with Samsara- you never really forget your first love, right?

LaLaPop75
LaLaPop75

So..I scored a vintage bottle on Ebay.....I've never smelled before, but took the risk because of the reviews, plus, I'm a sucker for sandalwood. I was so taken back at first spray.....it is beautiful!!!! I was so scared it would be too vintag-ey for my taste, But it is so soft and feminine. I get sandalwood with the jasmin, rose, violets, iris, and narcissus with some vanilla. I just recently purchased a Creed fragrance, and I would say it is right up there in quality. Simply lovely.

MellyX

The first blast of this on my wrist and I hated it. I wanted to like it and was really disappointed after grabbing it for next to nothing. To me it initially smells like imperial leather soap, did anyone else get that? However I am sat here now an hour later smelling it on my wrist and it has calmed down to something comforting and spicy. I love Halloween and I feel this is a scent perfectly fitted for that and bonfire night. I'm going to keep hold of this little gem and use it on cold autumn and winter nights as a warming blanket of sensualness x

perfumebox
perfumebox

Despite my initial 80s-perfume fears, Samsara was really nowhere near as heavy and powdery as I imagined. In fact, when applied sparingly, it is soft, warm, and almost clean without ever bordering into the "sweet" or "floral" territory.

I don't get much of the fruits in the top (EDP version), and even most of the sweet, rich florals are quite subdued, with no single flower standing out too much. It's almost as if the fruits and flowers are there as a representation of the tangy-sweet facets of sandalwood. The santal itself only really blooms a little later, combining with the musk to create a fuzzy, suede-like finish which doesn't go into pungent, sweet-sweaty territory (as some sandalwoods can).

Snobs who want only real Mysore sandalwood will need to hunt on ebay for vintage versions. I am no connoisseur, and I have to say I enjoy the replacement just fine! (Especially when you can get it for Samsara's very un-snobby price.)

vintage_scent

Oriental magic. Steamy hot, classy. This is a perfume you can't truly appreciate until you understand the beauty of sandalwood. I have a cousin that played the gypsie in red in Elvis's Harum Scarum. Samsara always reminds me of her.
This perfume could easily have came out in the sixties. Gorgeous, vintage, old makeupy, powdery special, memorable scent. Only Guerlain could create a magical scent that can transport you to a different place and time.
Be forwarned, it will hypnotize you...
Hypnotize
To dazzle or overcome by or as if by suggestion

ginawadsworth

Let me start by saying I am obsessed with perfume in general and how it can change your mood either enhancing or destroying it. I regard perfume as a living entity. Now for Samsara. I am the kind of girl who will make up her mind about a perfume on the intial spray. If it does not touch me emotionally I disgard it. However the sales assistant, who is aware of this, said you have to wear it on your skin and wait for it to draw you in as it melds with your skin. She was absolutely right. I smelt nothing to begin with, probably because I had been dabbling with my collection that morning. Half an hour later, it touched mt heart. Imagine a women in fur being driven in the back of a cream leather upholstered car. She has dressed with care and it on her way to meet her husband/lover. After a wonderful dinner they go home and make love. Her perfume lingers in the air. He is seduced by it time and time again. Nine months later she has their first child, and is breast feeding. No make up, freshly washed hair, naked, and wearing samsara. This is how this feels to me, sensual and nuturing Simply breathtaking, I am already saving for it.

jinjun
jinjun

Hotel soap.

mrsriley

this is just how i remember it from the 90's..it's very balmy and warm and soft..i could still smell this when i went to bed and i put it on first thing in the morning..i get the jasmine and the vanilla more than any other note..i still think it is a mature scent but not an old lady kind of way...the only reason i can't wear it now is my husband doesn't like it..:(..he tends not to like jasmine when it's strong...
less is more with this fragrance..too much and people will run a mile..but a little spray down your cleavage and you'll be getting a waft all day long and and people will get a gentle smell of you wherever you are..im not sure it's one for the office as it is potent..but beautiful...it's a sexy woman wearing soft clothes gliding down the street leaving an impression wherever she goes as heads turn and glance at her .

janles
janles

I just received my bottle of Samsara today and it is already on my favorites list. What a great warm, spicy scent with which to greet Fall.

Bethesda
Bethesda

Samsara eau de parfum starts with a huge blast of exotic ylang ylang for me, which is amazing as I am in love this essential oil and use it in the bath and in oil burners frequently with other oils for relaxation. The jasmine, rose, iris and violet blend with ylang ylang to make a luxurious mixture of cool and warm floral notes. The smooth, cashmere-like base of sandalwood, vanilla, amber, tonka and musk joins with the florals almost seamlessly to create a sensual incense aroma. The strength and longevity is fantastic and even when the fragrance is fading after a few hours the sandalwood, amber and musk linger on the skin like a silken veil. Such a beautiful, complex, classy floral-oriental scent.

The only Guerlain fragrances I own are this and Idylle and though they are very different they share the same sophisticated, well composed, excellently balanced quality and sheer elegance that I find hard to resist.

pippab
pippab

Isn't it bizarre how much some folks love this, and others truly hate it? The first time I sprayed it on my wrist (it was in the clear bottle - not the new red one) at the Guerlain counter about 20 years ago, I sniffed my wrist all the way home. I just had to have a bottle.

The reformulation in the red bottle is disappointing however. It lacks the deep and delightful sandalwood of the original. It's another classic that's gone the way of many of the best fragrances. Gone but not forgotten.

Ashreger91
Ashreger91

I think its funny how some people leave worse review then just saying this stinks and my review gets deleted. My opinion is that this perfume stinks to me and im sure it would on me, no need to delete my opinion. It may smell nice on others but to me its a big negative. I do not like it dont take it to heart if you do.

saguna
saguna

Nikki, your review is racist. You don't need to use words : White Trash Lady.

dainty.teechan
dainty.teechan

sexy, ordinary, classic, strong, long lasting

chillalot

I have an empty 5 yr old bottle of this on my dresser...this was my moms signature scent..every once in a while i sniff this and its like my mom is in the room. This scent is for a confident sexy woman over 30. men love it

joliecat
joliecat

This review is for the current modern REFORMULATED EDT.

Thanks to ALL of your reviews, I bought Samsara EDT, since I LOVE SPICY fragrances. This EDT is dry, sweet, VERY SPICY, and smells like beautiful incense blended with exotic spices and soft florals. It's both strong and calming. The longevity , projection and silage are extreme ! A little goes a long long way.

Samsara EDT lasts on clothing and hair until you wash it out. On skin, it lasts a good 12 hours or more. And yes, the strong spray fills the room instantly, and stays in the air for hours !

For those who mourn the ORIGINAL formula Samsara, I totally sympathize. The new Samsara reformulations of EDT and EDP are more linear, have less depth, and yes, the sandalwood is synthetic, not the original smooth natural Mysore sandalwood. Other ingredients are synthetic too. Samsara reformulations have lost the unique ability to transport the traveler on that wonderful journey to Nirvana, for which Samsara was originally intended.

Perhaps all perfumers should have given their reformulated versions a different name to avoid confusion, so the loss of their well loved pure original formulas would be less painful to devotees.

Still, I LOVE the strength, longevity and beautiful sweet spicy incense of this current EDT version of Samsara !

Whether you like a frag or not, your reviews DO help us to decide to try a fragrance or not. Thank you ALL for your helpful reviews !

Always
Always

Heady & Evocative. This one plays itself in your mind.

suhaesa
suhaesa

samsara is is in a class of its own ,a sensual, orienal unique fragrance ..it takes you back to the indian love stories of dave das ..maybe it takes you to the hanging gardens of gortoba in spain when it was concoured by the arabs...samasar is really losng lasting with a pretty heavy silage and its charechteristic you can defenitly distingishe it easily from other sents..smasar to me was not a love at first smell..i didnt like it in my teens..i got to appreciate it as i got older..there is something just a bit too strange for my nose that kinds of anoys me in in i cant pin point it ..
samsara is a unique perfume and is a must have for all perfume collectors ..its a mysterious scent worth having
its complex confusing and some how offensive ...
rating 3.9 out of 5

Shtefitza
Shtefitza

True oriental, my substitute for JPG... A fun perfume that made me a Guerlain fan. Mistical, layered, it was fun discovering its layers as I went through my day. Not for every mood, this is an evening perfume that could be worn at daytime on days you feel confident and are having fun. Love the spices and comforting powdery undertones... Not a sensual perfume... More of a reflection of complex, mature, playful womenhood.

Pari88
Pari88

Samsara. A conscious and struggling soul, aware of it's incarnation, and aware of the important role of balance it must meet in order to reach Nirvana. As with Samsara it's past lives have been many, always differing from one another. It has chosen to take with it only the most important, valuable, and useful it has found on it's journey.

The idea of self-consciousness reflects through the soul of this fragrance, and truly makes that who is wearing it self-assured. When wearing Samsara I become aware of myself. As with the concept of it's name, Samsara, the balance one finds in this perfume is a necessary role. Every note that was chosen for this Perfume are those that are most coveted and always agreed upon by any people from any culture, as being the most smooth, sensuous, and balanced. When put together they glide with one another, never jolting you out of your seat, but taking you on a smooth and wondrous ride.

It is not desired that this be an untamed scent, but one that has composure and whose stages can easily reflect the idea of continuum. This journey's center is Sandalwood; that which all the other chosen notes flow around. As the cycle continues only the important ingredients have stuck with it's soul; that which is truly needed, and always sought after, and those of high quality that will be needed in future journeys to come. There is quality in this Perfume that is of the utmost.

There are so many occasions where Samsara can be worn and fit right in; those which are public or private. Butter is the word that comes to mind when describing this scent, even though the silage is perfect and this never remains too close to skin, I also remember the "your skin but better" analogy.
The aphrodisiac qualities in this fragrance are off the chart, more so then any other fume I have mentioned; comparing it to any other aphrodisiac fume would be like comparing the Kama Sutra to BDSM. I can liken Samsara to many other fragrances, Estee Lauder Sensuous being one, although of course none are up to the task Samsara brings. This is not a "live in the moment" type of fume, but one that is always carried with you, thus being able to past the test of time, live on and still be cherished by those who meet it. A great signature. Review is for EDP.

NeoJezebel
NeoJezebel

Samsara sounds beautiful on the lips and smells even better on your skin. Many childhood memories of spritzing it on whenever I came across the distinctive bottle. I still haven't lost my love for it, and when I want to wear something a little slinkier in the evenings, I go for this.

lizlady68
lizlady68

This was one of my mothers faves... I had half a bottle along with her things when she passed. I would spray it and think of her. For a long time I couldn't use certain times of the year when the memories made me sad. I have since finished the bottle and bought another and just love this true classic scent. God bless you mom, you were just as classy.

napiergirl
napiergirl

Love at first sniff ...sophisticated , very elegant , sexy , rich and comforting . There is power to this perfume but its not aggressive and its dry down is so stunning , hard to explain really ....exotic and sultry

temo
temo

This is a masterpiece! Complex and comforting. I am wearing it, sitting in the middle of an alarming thunderstorm, yet feel peaceful and at ease. This must be the fragrance of a grand lady!

candymarie

Samsara bottles should come with a warning label that reads:
"This perfume has sharp and challenging top notes, and a long and dramatic drydown. Wait 30 minutes minimum before sniffing your arm." :-)

As they say, "Good things come to those who wait." And it's as though Samsara exists to illustrate to us the virtue and rewards of patience. If you can get on board with those challenging top notes, there is indeed the most sweet and creamy reward awaiting you at the other end. Such a complex and unforgettable creature, she is. I am addicted.

Zzzut

I really don't want to offend those who like Samsara but perfumes are a matter of taste and I hate Samsara with a passion. I am sure all the devils in hell wear this repulsive fragrance. Where I live, Samsara is very popular amongst smokers which makes it even worse. Smoking impairs the sense of smell and smokers often tend to wear too much perfume. Samsara truly makes me ill. I really wish it would vanish from the surface of the earth.

aschiffm
aschiffm

i had very high hopes for this as it seemed right up my oriental-leaning alley but when i sprayed it, it just smelled like one of those overly condensed cinnamon sucking candies. it got a little bit creamier/floral as it went but not that appealing to me.. kind of one of those "PERFUME!!" fragrances, and not something that blended with your skin. wished it wasn't on my arm.

taboo2287
taboo2287

that's exactly how i wanna smell like when i am with a REAL stud... "in bed" ;)

Palmy
Palmy

no need to describe, this is smell like heaven! Very unique and sophisticated.

creamy elegance

mrsriley

i used to wear this in the 90's and i loved it,but i moved onto less intense perfumes..after searching on here for a new sensual sexy perfume (i usually wear coco chanel) i kept coming across this!! so i've ordered it in a sample from ebay..it's the edp,so im curious to see how nice it is and if it's still the same :)n i will let you know and get back to you xxx

aidaida
aidaida

Dear Grottola, I liked your review very much, and after reading it, I cannot resist boasting :-) 2 years ago I came across a bottle of pure perfume Samsara (vintage, 30 ml) for such a ridiculous price I couldn't resist and bought it. At that time I was only just buliding up my obsession towards perfumes. I was so ignorant; I wasn't aware what treasure I picked up. By accident, as I opened the bottle, some perfume flew on my arms and clothes (arrgh, wasted drops of gold!). And than: I was in heaven! Was it the Fall? The point of no return? The moment I became engaged with fragances? I don't know. But it was unbelievably beautiful. Samsara accompanied me for 4 or 5 days. I don't want to analize the smell and the notes. I won't even try. It's so spiritual, sensual, mysterious. Unfortunately, EDT and EDP you can buy today are just dim silhouettes of the original.

Grottola

I was at a Neiman Marcus store about an hour and a half away from me yesterday, and I stumbled upon a goldmine; they had out a tester of Samsara pure parfum, VINTAGE, in a little cube bottle (used for other Guerlain parfum extraits).

My previous review of Samsara (ctrl + f to find it, or command + f if you're on a Mac) indicated that I didn't get along very well with the current formulation. It was just too rosy for me, and I found it too similar to contemporaries such as Paris or Knowing.

However, in the end, I was won over. The pure parfum is one of the most luxurious orientals to ever grace the market; well, at least the vintage stuff. The rose isn't powdery, nor is it too "juicy" or putrid smelling - it's just right, like a soft, plush red carpet for the real star of the show, Mysore sandalwood, to step on. Ah, yes, Mysore sandalwood, the fabled "true" sandalwood that is now nearly extinct, rears its pretty little head in vintage Samsara, and manages to put on a show all of its own.

Certain raw materials are so rich and complex, such as oakmoss or Mysore sandalwood, that they can produce a number of facets or smells from only one source. Mysore sandalwood (also known as Indian sandalwood), from what I've smelled, generally takes on a buttery, coconut-like character with smoky facets from time to time. What Samsara was able to do (or maybe Jean-Paul Guerlain, I should say) was reveal a new facet of sandalwood: a plush, suede/saffron accord that brought to mind the most refined leather fragrances of all, namely Chanel Cuir de Russie and Knize Ten. So, this eloquently plush sandalwood, together with a voluptuous and warm rose, combine to create a simple yet complex oriental that would make even the most ardent of fragrance haters have a nasal orgasm, or some kind of weird exotic vision of desert bazaars and dark, gorgeous Middle Eastern women. It goes on and on for hours, like an extremely dank weed strain that gives you a sensational high with a comfortable comedown period.

If you can get your hands on some vintage Samsara parfum that still smells good, then do so. Amouage may have set the standard for the term "attar", but one whiff and you're sure to understand why Samsara parfum was really the first true attar in all of perfumery.

Sabrina_A
Sabrina_A

A classic one .

This is my mothers favourite perfume (she's 48) and she wore it when she gave birth to me . Im now in my mid 20's and this scent have become my favourite fragrance ever (together with Flowerbomb) .

Samsara is so mature, warm, spicy and hypnotizing . What a combo right ? Its not a cheap frag but its sure worth every single dime .

Samsara will forever be a hit .

;-)
;-)

This fragrance does not live up to my expectations. It reminds me of hypnotic poison, guess it's the note refered to as rootbeer. To sweet and lack the magic complexity I am looking for, to me this is just messy.
I guess it has its crowd of fans but I'm not one of them.

fishmerised
fishmerised

I love this perfume, it's very rich and full bodied. Unlike most reviewers I prefer to wear this scent in summer where the base notes seem to resonate. In winter the top notes smell too sharp on me.

edit: I just revisited my beloved Samsara and am sorrowful that the love affair is over. Maybe because it's winter? I don't know, it's too sweet. :( I took it around to Mum for her to try, I remember her commenting one time I was wearing it.

She almost swooned over it, (yes, I remember when you did that to me, you fickle minx). Now when I see Samsara on Mum's dresser I feel a little betrayed but that's what life is all about I guess. Samsara is a experience of olfolacty ecstacy but like the moth attracted to flames, living in eternal ecstacy will burn you out. Sigh ...

pum.ohse
pum.ohse

Strong and not for me but i can understand how people can find it sexy and love it.

Jellybean
Jellybean

Creamy white floral. Jasmine and ylang ylang power duo here with one of the best smelling woody note, sandlawood. Iris, vanilla and tonka are quite noticeable too. This perfume has one focus theme; creamy white flowers. I find jasmine a bit too much in the beginning, but it softens and blends shortly within 10 minutes; the fragrance becomes fresher with time, very clean.
Close to the skin and can be worn anytime; my skin soaks it in and it is a very soft scent for the duration of 3-4 hours. Even then I get pleasant whiffs of it when spraying it on my clothes ( I find it stays on longer that way).

i loveee!!!!woody cream!

L2003
L2003

Samsara was my first anosmic buy. When my SO and I ordered our xmas scents in 2011.

I was just getting into frags, first realizing none of what the fashion shops carry these days is to my taste (and I am note into fancy labels, but rather the shockingly different). I had some advice on BaseNotes, since I had never smelled Samsara before.

I waited impatiently until it came.... and.... Love at first sniff. I retired my Chanel for this as my special-occasion frag... This is by far the best perfume I have ever encountered (so far, now I got Tabu and love it too), it is a dark, soft, sensual, powdery jasmine.

This is love forever.

ADCout
ADCout

Samsara... probably the best perfume I've ever smelled. And I'm a guy. Yes, I can wear it proudly, and I'm noticed every time I wear it.

This is the fragrance that I associate with mysterious nights in Arabia, in the desert, with some odaliscas, this perfume brings me all those images to my head. It is so suggestive!

It is so magical, mythical, mysterious, sensual, intriguing, enigmatic, spiritual... just wonderful.

The first time I smelled it, I just couldn't believe in such perfection in a bottle.

It has strong sandalwood, but it is a very well made one.

This is the perfume for all the persons who want to feel both powerful, strong, confident, and dominant on the place you are, but also calm and relaxed.

I also recommend to wear it in your house, alone, because this has many spiritual effects (caused by the sandalwood), and makes you feel in contact with your mind.

To the persons that never smelled it, I only can say, test it on your skin, and your idea of perfumery will change completely.

Samsara is to me THE MASTEPIECE

(This review is for the EDP)

beatrix75

the truth is that now working very vell with me and its spring soo streange!!i love its so feminine so good soo sweet and varmt absolut love this scent sooo sandelwood in the fresh way wouuuuw

katerina.katka770
katerina.katka770

This perfume is on market so many years and I find myself trying it just recently. I don't even know why I always avoid it this one and never try it before. Somehow I thought that this would be very strong, old lady type of scent. And I must say how wrong I was! When I tested it recently on my wrist, I just knew that I find my next perfume, which I will buy. I think that it will be my next signature scent for next fall and winter. I loved it!

tpeacock
tpeacock

I liked the initial rush of fresh jasmine, but this settles to a powdery, vanilla scent which isn't for me.

missymary
missymary

Similar to Paloma Picasso, a sandalwood-dominated and powdery scent.
Samsara works a little Guerlain magic, and conjures up a sort of plush-red operatic opulence, but the whole thing is pharmaceutical. Perfumes like this need pure ingredients.
That said, lovers of sandalwood will go far to find anything as charming and as lasting, in this price range.

chrisym.
chrisym.

Does not suit well for Day use!! Reminds me of an early 90's cocktail hour lounge after midnight.

Kiku
Kiku

Samsara gets off to a wonderful start. It is so "autumn". Warm and golden and filled with ripe, luscious citrus and the best cinnamon of any perfume. The ending is a killer: Mysore sandalwood. I believe the stories that Guerlain owns it's own Mysore sandalwood plantation. No other house has such divine sandalwood. The opening and drydown make Samsara one of the most seductive of perfumes. But what happened to the middle?! It smells like a cheap, celebrity stink from Coty: bland flowers, too much vanilla, nauseatingly sweet. It smells synthetic. A true disappointment.

oona noir
oona noir

I tried the edt and it didn't work at all on me. I gave it about 3 hours before I scrubbed it, too. Nothing creamy on me at all. I'm sad because I thought I would like it- it has my favorite notes but somehow doesn't come to life on my skin. Wah!
Also, the people who compare Samsara to Bois des Iles or Tuscany per Donna- I have no clue what they're talking about. Totally different scents to my nose.

cikcik
cikcik

l like the opening and the dry-down but there seems to be a plastic like scent in the middle.. Just like the smell of some baby dolls... Why is that??

Margarita1982
Margarita1982

Its so classic and sexy...for me this is what a femme fatale should wear.

Sassy1

I finally broke down and obtained a sample of the EDP as none of the major department stores who claim to carry Guerlain, carry Samsara.

Is it such a relic and reminder of excess that they don't even have 1 tester hanging around? Or maybe they're too busy trying to make the current EDT with the empasis on Eau (eew!) seem attractive. But I digress...

I like the current version of Samsara. It's not the loud thundering bullhorn of a scent I expected but it's no "Eau" either.

The top is a little disfunctional before it lays down in it's flower bed. (similar to Trouble but the lemon's not as pushy). And the sandalwood is definately not real but it still has a passable creamy woodiness that'a a far cry from a coconut confection.

The transitions are a little jittery, reminding me of a DVD when it glitches but overall I am willing to forgive it's flaws and enjoy the good bits.

eruetim
eruetim

Very warm and sexy fragrance. I wore it every day and ran out.

mystica
mystica

For EDT: Samsara has a soothing and hypnotizing effect thanks to a megadose of Mysore sandalwood it contains. Guerlain by the way used to have its own sandalwood plantains in India, to be used for Samsara only. I don't know if that's still the case, but I hope it is!
People's -I dunno why but in my experience especially women's- reaction to this perfume is quite positive.

ladywildswan
ladywildswan

At first ylang-ylang, now sandalwood, amber and roses... two hours after applying. This is a soft scent to me and can go day or night. I could wear this for all four seasons, another sensuous experience.

I wore this earlier this week and my sheets still smell of it... I am not complaining, my friends in fact not lingering is one of my complaints about the new fragrances. So I'm wearing Samsara again today to lunch with a friend.

artsyrn
artsyrn

It's never cold enough in Florida to get away with this. It is pretty, but far too intense in it's spiciness.

Lushylori
Lushylori

This one Is very warm and Unique.
My first sniff of this one was questionable but after continually smelling Samsara,I knew why a lot of people liked it.
Very Sophisticated Indeed..
I detected a lot of Jasmine actually but the blend used in this scent blended well together to make a warm mystical smell....Nice!!:)

paumag
paumag

Sensual & sophisitcated in a bottle ! my mom always used it !

warm , creamy, sweet,classy,a jewel
i wear everyday in any season.

madamesinn
madamesinn

Wrapped up at home, researching fragrances for a close friend's birthday.
I'm wearing Samsara body lotion, in order to channel her tastes rather than my own. She wore Obsession when we were at school together and this is the closest I can manage from my own stable...

Usually far sweeter than I like but, in this form and on a Northern winter day, it is comforting me in lieu of a mug of hot chocolate.

Addicted2byzance
Addicted2byzance

One thing for sure is that Samsara is one of those perfumes you will easily recorgnise or is it memorable by its scent!, thats the down side for me. Am not good with notes but i know when a perfume leaves a stamp on me, the thumbs up of it. As a kid, i loved this perfumed when my mom's sis wore it. One day a friend of mine asked me what my fav perfume was and i told her this was it...well it seemed too vintage from her remark. Then she bought be a fragrance gift one day and suprisingly i think its among my collection of fav perfumes, maybe it could be my signature fragrance one day...we'll see. But hey, i do purchase it and wear it and i think i like it, thought i think it is too strong for me atimes.
Guess what I got to appreciate this scent more in the evenings and wow perfect between the sheets, this is my night time scent and coincedently it's voted for evenings

lily13ana

I felt sick when i tested it in the perfumery! I don't like it at all, is to sweet and to creamy for me! I love/like Shalimar, Shalimar Initial, Joop Femme, Youth Dew, but this one is not for me at all.

IamWoman
IamWoman

Samsara (EDP) is an absolute masterpiece. If Guerlain was seeking to capture the beauty and mystique of the dance of the seven veils inside of a bottle, I would say that they've achieved just that. This is sensuality in an art form, and it waves and dances around you, inviting you to come closer to its beauty. The sandalwood and vanilla create a heavenly blend; the florals are soft and elegant; and the musk adds a warm sexiness. Just as many petals share in being a rose, so the notes of Samsara come together in beauty, harmony, and balance. I could swear this fragrance, in all of its smooth, creamy softness, is mood-altering. It is, as others have said, as if I'm not "wearing" anything, but I am reminded by its gentle, intoxicating waft that it's there. It is unbelievably mellow and exotic, sensual and feminine. I am either being hypnotized by this fragrance, or I'm actually falling in love. All I can keep saying is, "mmmmmmmmmm". Years ago, I used the EDT version, which is also lovely, but this is an entirely different experience. It's very "intimate" yet distinct and alluring. This could easily become my signature scent, which I would have no problem wearing year-round.

beatrix75

Unfortunately, I realized that i must wait at least another 20 years to i juse this beauthiful frag its just too much now i feel like itss complicated but no not now!!!

natalia777
natalia777

I have bought today EDT. One of the most beautiful perfume. I always was afraid even to try this perfume as thought that it will be very strong and suffocating. But this perfume is magnificent. Love it.

beatrix75

most beautiful woody fragrance ever, the most I like is sandelwood,i love the smell of sandelwood and rose togather become creamy expensive smell with hint of yasmin iris and violet !LOng lasting sexy sophisticated frag for confident woman who is elgant and mystical!!!10/10

zatenhaar
zatenhaar

"The other one he loved like a slave,
like a crazed and like a beggar.
Why? Ask the dust on the road
and the falling leaves,
ask the mysterious God of life;
for no one knows such things.

She gave him nothing, no nothing did
she give him and yet he thanked her.
She said: Give me your peace and your reason!
And he was only sorry she did not ask for his life."

This poem describes to me the spirit of Samsara.

Its an evening parfum

Rich, seductive, gold, dark,warm,strong,french moulin rouge boudoir style.

It smells wonderfull like being a bee that is seduced by a flower full of honey and he is just drawn in to it ... like its hypnotic.

Its is for the mature experienced women in my opinion.
Use with a light hand because this scent is very strong!

MEMA82
MEMA82

i am 29 years old and i adore this EDP veeeery much fantastic winter signature, loooooooong lasting
never feel enough of sniffing your self

Wow! I see that Samsara has constant new reviews! For it's a perfume that doesn't leave people indifferent, in a good or in a bad way!
It's been a staple of mine for ages and it still is some way... I now find it too strong for my purposes and also re-formulation didn't help :-(
I much prefer EdP over EdT because on my skin chemistry (fair, dry, cold skin) it smells more creamy and less green-harsh that EdT. AS for all Guerlains different version can give different results, so you'd better test on your skin and allow some time to the scent to develop on yourself.
First 30 minutes of Samsara are not that nice on me... After that time it is to die for, sweet and woody.
In any case this is a classic of perfumery and giving it a try could be worthy, if nothing else, as a reference if you happen not to like it.
Yes, it is a weapon :-)

andjela
andjela

Want to be covered in a mystery?
Wear Samsara!

Migalex
Migalex

This review is for the EdP. The EdT smells smoother, much more wearable, not exactly the same fragrance, quite different. I find it hard to believe that anyone does actually think it (the EdP) smells good, but I did get complimented on it.I do not like the smell, but I do respect the fragrance. For me it is like a weapon, merciless and anihilating. When once a woman stteped on the bus wearing this perfume, I had the temptation to roll on the floor in total defensive surrender, like asking for mercy and having my life spared.It sort of revolts me, like a chemical, the simple thought of it makes my gums contract. Nevertheless, I find it a very good perfume.It is the mixture of sandalawood, amber and jasmine what makes it. I think that 30% of it is sandalwood. Guerlain claims it took him 11 years to create it, but if you mix up those three notes, you get more or less the effect I appreciate in it, not considering now the lethal power, which, as I said, I also respect. The spectacular thing about this perfume is that it hits you like an S, a wave, like a whip, it comes and goes, but I think that is because of the sandalwood, which plays tricks on one's nose, now it is there, and then it is not, quite fidgety. That effect is absolutely marvelous, and there is really something about this perfume (the EdP) that I find overwhelming, it reduces one to nothing, in a glorious way. Having said that, nice I do not find it. It seems that it is no longer much appreciated these days, because I do not see the EdP being sold anylonger in perfume shops and that does not surprise me. The Edt is nicer, but does not have the character and the features I am referring to.
I also like the name, it was a very nice idea. Samsara is, in budhism, the way of sensual pleasure to nirvana. Lovely.

sofababe
sofababe

I have tried both the EDP and the EDT, and I found the EDP very sharp and green compared to the creaminess of the EDT.
The EDT is creamy, exotic, oriental and sensuous.
Samsara is one of the first perfumes that I recognised. A work friend used to wear it years ago (though not at work) and I would go into our locker room and get a whiff of this amazing scent from her scarf which would be hanging by the door. I would go in there just to inhale Samsara. There is no mistaking Samsara, nothing else smells like it. Its a wonderful one-off.
I don't wear Samsara for work as I am in and out of other peoples homes all day and I'm concerned it may be a bit strong, the sillage is amazing. I wear it for days out with friends or family, evenings out and even for a day at home alone doing errands and chores. Its fantastic company!
Everytime I wear Samsara in the company of others I get at least one compliment, from men and women.
It also lasts well on cats!!! I was carrying my cat around one day when I was wearing this (he's a bit of a baby and likes to be carried everywhere if he can get away with it!) and for days afterwards I could smell Samsara when he sat on my lap or lay beside me.

Lumiere
Lumiere

This scent covers like a warm woolen luxury blanket. In a good way. It is hot smmer where I am at the moment-so not on my wish list for a while still.

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A mature scent which is intimate and saves its best until the end..

I applied 6 heavy sprays of the EDP

0 - 1 .5 Hours - 1 foot projection. This is a classic mature scent which is heavy and damp, but not sour or harsh. It is classic 80's. Not too my personal taste; very dated and long gone for me

1.5 hours - 4 hours - 3-4 inch projection. Linear from above. I was expecting thunderous projection, instead this is very intimate

4 - 9 hours. No projection. Scent starts to become more softer and eventually turns gentile, appealing and sensous with an ever-so creamy texture which is lovely and the best bit by a million miles - a transformation to a more between the bed sheets romantic interlude..

I will remember this by the beautiful drydown

The_Entity
The_Entity

Another lovely strong frag from the 80s, reminds me a little bit of Red Door, but R.D is stronger

AllieK
AllieK

I was out the other day and came across a bottle of Samsara EDT for a good price, and so I picked it up on a whim. I can remember my best friend’s mom wearing this when I was a kid, and while I loved the way the bottle looked on her vanity, I hated the smell. On top of that, I’m a blonde, and I’ve heard a lot about Samsara being a “brunette” scent. So, you can imagine my surprise when I realized…. I *love* this stuff. Not sort of like, not like a lot but not love…. No, I actually LOVE this stuff.

The top notes are a little dated, sure, but as others have mentioned, it’s what happens after the opening that’s important. It’s pure sandalwood-vanilla-spice magic. Simultaneously sweet and spicy, Samsara is exotic, dark, and intoxicating, but oddly inviting and wearable, even for a stereotypical “All-American” blonde like myself. The longevity is impressive, especially for an EDT, and the sillage is moderate, which is just how I like it.

I often tell people that I love perfume because of the way different fragrances can bring out different sides to my personality. Well, Samsara brings out my inner brunette, in the way that it makes me feel sultry, sexy, even mysterious and exotic. I imagine it on the kind of woman who walks into an upscale bar alone, and sits in the corner with a cigar and a dry martini. Every man in the place wants to be with her, and every woman wants to be her, but she’s far too classy to be aware of her allure.

Aysu
Aysu

In some local shops, it is now sold as "Samsara Renais"
I don't know what it is, is it being renewed/reformulated?
Or is it a new edition like Shalimar Initial?

candymarie

The longest drydown of any perfume I've ever tried!! Meaning, it takes a very long while to get to where it's going, maybe 30-60 minutes on some days. But boy, oh boy, once it gets there, what a payoff!! Because it's pure magic!!!

True, those top notes are SO sharp and, dare I say, old-fashioned compared to more modern perfumes. The top notes even make me think of old-school type hairspray sometimes (not the more or less aromatherapeutic scented hairspray they make these days), and if that's all Samsara had to offer, I would not wear it. BUT, that is of course NOT all Samsara has to offer!!

The drydown takes me on a journey like no other, like the most beautiful symphony in a world full of 3-chord one-hit wonders or a 7-course gourmet meal in a world full of Big Macs.

An olfactory treasure chest of perfectly balanced wood, spice, vanilla, fruit, flowers, etc. A perfume for the ages that will pass the test of time, generation after generation.

hlhenderson
hlhenderson

I used to love this scent. Smells like incense. Then I got tired of it (the perfume, and the smell of incense too.)

Decodawn
Decodawn

Sensual, warm, spicy, just gorgeous

neshe
neshe

I agree with boruvka44
"breast-fed baby's breath smells" like-
like a butter milk :) it is warm and creamy.
think it is so strange that people describe it as "edgy" and "dark" and "spicy" - my nose does not detect that,
It is so soft, not at all too strong in my opinion.
It is absolutely exotic and very very romantic fragrance.
I tried EDT
for oriental-loving brunettes who wish to acquire an air of the exotic..

thaocrockett
thaocrockett

Samsara EDT:
A strong and dry sandalwood came first; then about 15 minutes later, amber, tonka bean, and jasmine came out and woody scent faded. I would say it was kind of masculine and aggressive in the first 10 minutes, but it became lovely afterwards. Right now, after 20-25 minutes, my skin projects a very nice amber scent and almost no sandalwood at all. It's great for Autumn and Winter. Definitely not a Summer scent.
I like it.

Nadia Beatriz
Nadia Beatriz

This review is for the EDT:

I purchased it blind this week, once again based in the reviews.. I tought I was going to love it.. WRONG!! This is the worst perfume I ever owned.. This was a big mistake buy this blind(I really have to stop doing this!)and it is better not to speak of the price,This is the kind of fume that nobody should buy without test OMG!! This is going directly for the perfume exchange forum.. Btw the top note is talcum powder.. Sorry for all the fans, but we all have the right to review no matter if it´s good or bad, with all due respect, of course..

Kterhark
Kterhark

Modern Parfum review
This is another scent that is so widely available and popular that there's no use describing it; folks can go see for themselves. I'll just share my experience.

I'm trying the parfum strength. I know this wants to be a warm woody, but on my skin that ain't gonna happen. I get a big ol' helping of jasmine, framed by some citrus and sprinkled by something not so smooth. I don't get much sandalwood, or anything else that suggests a woody base lies beneath.

I put this on before going out for the evening, and honestly, it didn't last more than 2 hours. So I'm trying it again today, and this is when I can better detect the heavy white floral hand.

So alright, not my favorite Guerlain, but this is OK since I have so many others that are.

vanillabean23
vanillabean23

Oh so long since I've had a bottle of Samsara (about 12 years). I think I went through about 5 huge bottles of this in a couple of years (many years ago). Deeply devine, this has to be one of the most popular fragrances of all time. So luxurious, indulgent, succulent and sensuous. When I smell it, I almost feel a weird sense of completion in my life. Strange, mysterious and just so classic! It's magic in a bottle! There is something dark and about Samsara that I love as well, dark and brooding. It has two sides to it's personality...

¤[◊Garden◊]¤
¤[◊Garden◊]¤

Samsara (in Edt) is one of my favourite fragrance.
The start is green and crisp, It explodes from the start, it shows the exotics colors and the evolution is wonderful.

Samsara is for me the incarnation of classy and luxury ♥

The concentrations are differents.
Edt is very dry and airy, deep-heat and at the same time distant-cold, it's a paradoxe but it's the nature of Samsara: complex, mysterious, multi-faceted... The dominants notes are jasmine, orris, iris and vanilla in this edt version. The long lasting is very good, it during many hours...

The Edp is not dry airy, not distant as edt, it is more deep, sexy, oily and sharp and the dominants notes in it are rose, ylang, santal and tonkabean. It is beautiful too but not my type, I think it's better for sexy womens...

maatgirl
maatgirl

Another fragrance of the week, another review...
First, I have to be frank; I am biased towards Guerlain fragrances; I've neven encountered one that I haven't at least respected (most of them I've loved). Samsara is no exception. It is sweeter that I would expect; the jasmine/rose/ylang accord is pretty prominent, but the sandalwood adds another, more exotic dimension. I also get some vanilla from this; not as strongly as Armani Code or Addict, but it is definitely there.
What I don't get is its sillage monster reputation. The EDT is definitely a skin scent, pleasant, warm, intimate...not blastingly extroverted (maybe that's the reformulation, but I can't comment on that...I don't know what it used to be like. I really like this, though. It does seem to have density, a multidimensionality that great fragrances all seem to have, and texture, too--a cashmere-like, caressing richness. It's lovely.
One more thing...there is a Clive Christian fragrance that is allegedly the world's most expensive perfume (is it No. 1? I can't remember...) I tried it at the SF Saks Fifth Avenue; a bargain, the sales rep said, only $300/ 1 oz. bottle. I thanked her, walked away, sniffed my arm...and it smelled EXACTLY like Samsara (39.99 for 1oz. EDT at Perfumania). It could just be my body chemistry, but if you're in love with a perfume that would bankrupt you, try my alternative...it's worth a sniff!

edpjunkie
edpjunkie

The only formulation I've ever smelled is for the older version, and it is beautiful! I may have to try the newer version just to see how generous I can be with spritzing; I'd hate to use all mine up and have to sell my firstborn to secure another vintage bottle! For those who have an aversion to it, another choice may be Tuscany per Donna by Estee Lauder. This fragrance has similar notes but imo doesn't pack quite as much of a wallop.

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

A ghost of what it used to be! EDT. I have a friend who wears this exclusively. I recently came upon a new EDT bottle but the perfume doesn't smell like anything I remembered it to be. Upon first spray all I can smell is orris, immediately thought of No.5 and Arpege. The staying power was also weak on me. I sprayed it at 1:30 pm. then my sister came to visit me at 3:30 in the afternoon, she is into perfumes just as much as I am. I didn't mention to her what I was wearing and she didn't comment on smelling my perfume. At the beginning the scent is easily perceptible but as time goes on it just fades to a skin scent. My skin just eats up perfume so this is not something new to me. I was a bit disappointed with this as it doesn't smell like the Samsara that I remembered from years ago. I will test again and will spray clothes instead to see if it last a bit longer!

Jtd, you said it all. A sad story of how a magical, soft yet intense, absolutely balanced romantic perfume can be transformed in butterscotch vomit and a rancid-gourmand!
That's it, exactly.
Istill like Samsara. After the first 30 minutes it's not so bad and carries a memory of what it used to be, especially EdP, but I still remember what Samsara was even in EdT.
Never before re-formulation I could smell that nauseating initial rancid punch.
And it was sooooo much cheaper!
I have a small bottle of vintage EdP in the transparent bottle and it smells so sweet and creamy sandalwood. It's almost gone :-( I won't track vintage bottles around the world, not my way.
Samsara will be a part of my past and memories.

jtd
jtd

Perfumery lore has it that Samsara contained 30% sandalwood oil when launched. It’s also part of perfumery’s body of common knowledge that Samsara’s sandalwood is long gone. Apparently early iterations of Samsara used this botanical sandalwood as well as botanical jasmine and had a wonderful vanilla note. There was certainly more to the composition than that, but these 3 elements defined Samsara’s shape.

Sandalwood has effectively been removed from the perfumer’s palette, and in Samsara’s case, it’s been replaced by polysantol (more from perfumery lore), a powerful synthetic. Perhaps a lush, botanically derived jasmine might have been overmatched by the polysantol, but it appears that a jasmine-analogue of equal volume and shrillness to the synthetic sandalwood is employed as well. I imagine the vanilla in the early Samsara versions would have complemented the creamy tartness of true sandalwood. In the current Samsara the shriek of the polysantol combined with the vanilla gives us a new, sick-making gourmand note: butterscotch vomit.

Samsara is for me what Secretions Magnifiques is to its detractors.

When powerful aromachemicals are used in largely synthetic perfumes, imbalanced accords and compositions carry greater risks. For better or for worse, when aromachemicals are particularly strong, their effects are a leveraged increase in punch, sillage, durability. If the accords made with these strong chemicals are imbalanced (read: unappealing) the negatives will be leveraged as well. Whereas a haphazard mix of botanicals will likely read as muddy, Samsara’s polysantol-based composition is both horrifying in its gear-grinding volume and nauseating. Samsara creates a perfume sub-genre: the rancid gourmand.

Contessa01
Contessa01

Don't be put off by the fact it's an 80's fragrance, it has not really dated at all. It's a beautiful floriental, proabbly more of a night fragrance as it is quite strong. I have worn this since I was 18 and still love it so that's saying something.

Grottola

I wish Samsara had more sandalwood in it, but all I can smell is a big rose note. Rose all the way with a hint of sandalwood in the background.

Maybe the vintage stuff is better.

Cams
Cams

I wore this recently and got a compliment within 5 mins of getting to work. Beautiful and sophisticated! Definately worth getting!!

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

What an interesting fragrance. I tried it today for the first time - after much curiosity - and wrote it off right away. I found it to be weird and overpowering. Like Shalimar, I was WRONG. The dry down is GORGEOUS! It is so floral and so fresh and pretty. I will definitely be looking in to this one. Love love love!

angel6
angel6

Today I tried Samsara after many years. I had Samsara in the early ninetes and love it. But I had a huge shock when I smell this today, there is nothing left of the beautiful perfume that I remember, I don't understand how Guerlain could do something so horrible to that magic perfume that I knew. Very sad.

boruvka44
boruvka44

I blindly bought 5ml of pure perfume. GOD! how delightful it is! Divine, soft, mysterious and intimate. So clean, lightly naturally sweet. I was expecting something heavy, retro, biting sharp, old fashioned etc. It is absolutely timeless. I can imagine it on Cleopatra as well as on MM, or even myself:)
It's like walking through indian bazaar, smelling the light mix of freshly baked sweets with nuts, all kinds of spices, genuine leather goods, aromatic oils, warm dust, fresh flowers, all drown in evening sun.
Sandal wood incense powder (in a raw form here, very sensuous with the musk), jasmin and ylang, tonka bean and orris (like baby powder) Samsara is totally round, it has no sharp edges, its like warm oil rubbed between fingertips.
The pure perfum has some sweet buttery smoothness, like breast-fed baby's breath, like a butter cookie.
Can't stop sniffing my wrist. It makes my head spin with delight:) I lightly spritzed the perfume and it's not overepowering at all. I don't think it's only night time scent for special occasions. It's a smell of woman - clean sweet animal :) The animalic strenght of raw sandal wood works with body chemistry a lot. I can't wear Samsara for a couple days of month...
edit: EDP is more oriental floral on my skin. Less sandalwood, more jasmin, sweet rose, fresh ylang. While the pure perfume is the mystical temple, EDP is blooming garden in front of it.

ION
ION

I believe "Samsara" deserves a more contemporary bottle, I don't see why it shouldn't merit an equally bright luck to the mythic "Chanel No 5", which of course enjoys an "always modern" look.
It is a fantastic, incense like perfume, very balanced and relatively easy going, made for women in their thirties onwards. :)
It creates a statement of class, character, comfort, sophistication and of life experience!
Why perfumes like this don't come out anymore is a good question. I hope it's not that they get cut in the preproduction stage for some silly reason about modernism or minimalism.
There is another reason why I mentioned No 5 before.
"Samsara" when really dries down, smells a lot like it.

Imagine this as the "Shalimar" for the younger.
Great work and a somehow addictive smell!

CathyGQ
CathyGQ

Fantastic fragance . It grows on you over time after being on your skin for a while. Very heat reactive , which makes it perfect to wear during the summer. Excelent silage. I would highly recommend to others.

TillyWave
TillyWave

This is for the EDT.

This gets grouped in with big, heady, spicy 80's fragrances and I can't figure out why (except for the fact that it came out in '89.)

This perfume on me is more woody on top, and then the woods uncover the flowers underneath. The flowers are liquidy smooth, like wet glass. The woods come out again toward the bottom, along with some vanilla. The whole thing just has an unruffled, quiet smoothness that I really like.

Perhaps the top notes have some projection--they're supposed to--but this quickly wears like a skin scent, it is not loud or obnoxious at all. Actually I find it quite classy.

tonni
tonni

OMG...SAMSARA is divine,this scent make me feel the sandalwood is burning in the oriental temples.Such a exotic mystery!

krmarich
krmarich

In 1988, Guerlain launched it first major promotion for a perfume ever. It was the pinnacle of the house, and brought international attention to the somewhat obscure house with a vast history already behind it. This attention would lead to the unintentional end of the dynasty.

Guerlain was famous for complex and exotic formulas starting with Jicky in 1888. Everyone knows Shalimar and for decades it was a perennial best seller. Samsara was Shalimar in red for me. Its Indo-Tibetan influence allures and enchants. Being a Westerner who practices Tibetan Buddhism, this is an utimate olfactory experience. Rather than burning incenses, you can wear this and get the same effect! The bottle cap is the Buddhas eye. I use at as a shrine offering.

Sandalwood in the original formula was unmatched. It plays tricks on your nose. One drop and I swear I can detect it for days. In fact, its projection can fill an office space or classroom. Like many reviews below, it gets stronger the longer you wear it. As far as the other notes-peach,jasmin, narcissus and vanilla peek through. There was so much sandalwood, however...

Alas, instead of securing Guerlains future, Samsara was a "chime at midnight". It sales were through the roof and LVMH purchased the company to help distribution. There was some sort of restriction on Indian sandalwood. It was toned down to a whisper, leaving its original reputation to live in legend. There are some limited supplies left, mostly minis.

One wiff of this masterwork brings you closer to enlightenment indeed.

K1
K1

Boooom! This is my olfactory blowing up!
This absolute classy oriental jewel shot me to ten years ago; the days this kind of perfumes were on throne! Yet after about ten years, Samsara is still shining and keeps the place. It's exact meaning of Oriental.
It's deep, wild, mystic, overwhelming and charismatic.
If I write brief is because I don't know how to say more. This is just a masterpiece which sillage is jaw drawing and abnormally strong.

puppynose
puppynose

Yes greydove said it! I had (still have some) of this in the vintage version from way back- I liked it when it first came out- but soon tired of it and later learned how sandalwood is supposed to smell. Horrible fake sandalwood- any one who knows the smell of decent quality sandalwood- let alone good Mysore sandalwood oil, knows this is junk. Yep, not Asia in here, which is to say- not what it's cracked up to be.

mymlan

Yes yes YES... Thick sweet jasmine and roses with some sandalwood in the base. Simply beautiful. To you all trying it out, go for the edp before judgeing it.

I have a tiny 2 ml micro-mini perfume that is the smoothest thing I've ever smelt, but this blast from my friends EdP with sprayer really made the jasmine shine throght in all its beauty. This is the best jasmine I ever smelt. Not raw and cold but instead thick, warm and vibrant.

greydove
greydove

I tried a mini of "vintage EDP". The thing that really bothers me about it, is the use of aldehydes combined with poor quality sandalwood. It yields a fragrance that just falls flat and two dimensional, lacking personality. Plus, the aldehydes scream France instead of Asia. Good quality sandalwood is transcendent. I continue the search for a true "sandalwood" perfume. Very few seem to live up to the potential of this ingredient.

Fizzy
Fizzy

I am by Habanita with this. It is extremely sweet, heavy really oriental woody for me, present in every second you wear it. If somebody wear it, I always detect it. Lot of true sandalwood and vanilla in it. Something for a tall, corpulent, black haired woman. I used a half of the 100 ml EdP bottle and then passed it to my mother and actually did not hear about it anymore from her - her´s diplomatically way to say no to this scent.

aqua76239
aqua76239

Samsara is my HG fragrance. I've gotten a sample when it first came out and was thinking OMG, what a beautiful rich scent. Mind you, at the time I was in high school so many people probably don't think of it as a scent suitable for teenage girls. However, my mom always wore spicy headier perfumes like Climat and J'ai Ose so I love heavier scents as well. For the next 6 years I wore nothing else. After that I started venturing out into various other perfumes but Samsara is the only scent that I willl always have in my collection and repurchase again and again. To my nose it smells like rich vanilla mixed with incense and amber.Dry down is warm and slightly powdery. Do not think however it smells like Cashmere Mist which IMO smell like powder and nothing else. Samsara is vanilla and amber scent, only on the drydown it smells a little powdery. Lasting power is very good-1 spritz lasts 3-4 hours with edt. Mind you, edt and edp are quite different and to truly experience the beauty of Samsara, you must try edp or pure perfum.
Not great in the summer, unfortunately where I live weather is relatively warm all year around. I usually wear it in the winter when the temperature drops to 65-70. If you want a sexy fragrance this is the one. Most of my friends associate this perfume with me and I always get "oh, I smelled some woman today and it was that perfume that you wear". I'll never get tired of it. I've gotten lots of compliments on it, mostly from men. Last time I was wearing it, a client asked me what perfume I was wearing and that it smelled really good..
The price has gone way up ove the years-1.7 oz of edp cost $80 at Nordstrom! I usually buy it online for at least half that price.
Word of caution-I expected to like Un Air de Samsara which is supposed to be a lighter version of Samsara but Un Air is seriously vile!
Lemon is supposed to be one of the additional notes in this fragrance and it made it into really musty grandma like perfume. Awful! Talk about ruining a fragrance...

Woodelf
Woodelf

On me, Samsara is a blend of green notes, powder, sandalwood, vanilla and musk. Rose and lemon add a hint of sweetness, but this is not a sweet scent. It's a warm, woody scent - intoxicating. I find that Samsara works on different levels. Spray once, and it's appropriate in the office when you just want to smell nice up close but not overpowering. Spray a little more, and now you are an exotic temptress ready for a night on the town and more.

Samsara packs a punch upon first spray. But don't judge it by this. On dry down, the warm scents of sandalwood, vanilla, amber and musk will wrap you in a velvet aura. Overall, this is destined to be a classic scent. Samsara is very deep, very warm, very French, very Guerlain.

Soutty123
Soutty123

My husband loves this. It has quite an effect on him. Put it this way, I don't wear this if I've got a headache!

dadulka82
dadulka82

My Birthday present... I was not sure what to expect at all as I never tried it before
after first spray I was not impressed, it smelled "old"...
It is not me at all.

Kamet1973
Kamet1973

I don't know how anyone could dislike Samsara and find it overpowering. Obviously, you know instantly when someone around you is wearing it and it remains very popular but I see that as a good thing. When ever I smell it on someone when out shopping I stop in my tracks and take a big sniff like a dog smelling bacon. Mmm, lovely.

chowchow41
chowchow41

I bought it today after reading al the revieuws. I was a bit disappointend, because the green notes are dominant on my skin. Other revieuwers write about sweet notes but unfortunately not on my skin. I still like this scent but I wish it was sweeter on my skin.

Sorcerer1001
Sorcerer1001

Bought a sampler of the pure parfum and love it. Smells strikingly similar to caswell-massey's casma. The only difference i can tell is that casma is slightly more vanilla dominated and the oriental part slightly less complex. But who said simplicity was ever a bad thing?! To a very undiscerning nose casma would do and would save you a bit, but decide for yourselves!

Raphy_2260
Raphy_2260

Fraganticans!!!! You're all awesome... Another blind buy, and NO REGRETS!!!

SEXY and FABOLOUS is how I feel wearing this masterpiece!!!

frederica
frederica

Desert wind, white sand, silk dress touches skin, deep, rich and sexy smell for mysterious and strong woman. It touches your inside and lighten it up. Samsara dress you into sofistication.
Samsara is raindrop on skin in the midddle of summer. Samsara is poeme, Samsara is rhapsody, Samsara is PERFUME

Scarlette
Scarlette

Very, verrrry sexy. Monied sexy. Sweet, deep and rich. Very comforting and risque at the same time. Lasts forever.

The beginning reminded me a little of Habanita. But all in all I found Samsara too strong and sweet for me. It's a nice oriental but it's too overwhelming for me. The drydown on me didn't convince me.

takeasniff
takeasniff

This perfume now that I have it brings back a lot of memories. Different places I have worked I can remebewr smelling this strange but alluring smell in the office usually associated with an older women. I never thought much about it. I would be out somewhere and again that familiar smell. One of my friends who is quite a bit older than me met up with us the other night and as I kissed her cheek hello, that familiar smell again. I could never work out what it was all these years but I knew I liked it. I thought it was Chanel No.5 but my friend gave me that and it wasn't the smell that I kept encountering. Anyway, I finally got a bottle of Samsara and I sprayed it and all day that familiar smell kept wafting around me. Reading the reviews on here I think it must be the sandlewood. I never knew what that was until now it is very recognisable. I have the edp and it lasts but it seems to be the sandlewood that really runs ahead of itself in this fragrance but in a classy way. Even if people don't like it I cannot imagine this offending anyone. I know when I was younger and kept smelling this at office places I didn't like it but it didn't offend me or give me a headache. It is cheaper to buy now so that's a good thing I am just praying they don't discontinue it because a lot of women today don't seem to have the confidence to wear this they are too worried about offending others.

Letylda
Letylda

I think that was about 10 years ago, when I've read interview with my favorite actress/singer, who swear, that since started use Samsara, each day heard many compliments from many man. After trying this scent for years I couldn't wait till I will grow up to wear it. Now come this right time and I'm so pleased that I have chance to buy in such a good price on airport.
Wearing this scent during all this hot summer days make me feel happy and pretty inside and also very feminine. I didn't feel that is to heavy at all. Last for very all long day.
About smell: is like a being somewhere on middle of burning Sahara's desert - you can't forget. Is a mystyfying, intriguing and oriental.

ineverwas
ineverwas

Warm, deep and complex, this perfume seems to be the very essence of sensual femininity and mature wisdom. It's cozy and enveloping, like a hug from someone you love and at the same time it exudes strength and maturity.

Jasmine, ylang-ylang and vanilla are amazing together, but it's the rich sandalwood that really shines in this composition, giving it sensual and even spiritual qualities.

Samsara is an incredible confidence booster. This perfume has a soul of its own and it feels like a loving companion that soothes and reassures you all along the way.

I can see a mature, dark haired woman wearing this, someone who's strong and beautiful and wise. A woman who can keep her mind clear and her heart open and who lives life gracefully, with empathy and reason at the same time.

Lasting power and sillage are the best I have ever known (I own the EDP). This perfume lasts for more than 24 hours on my skin and it easily projects across a 10 meter room. There was not one occasion when I put this on and no one noticed it :).

A true classic.

tenderhearted
tenderhearted

This is another world I have stepped into.

There are soft smoke clouds around my head and smile.
There is cream and powder sweetly wrapped around my heart.
Something juicy softly tangy,is it a bergamot tree floating towards the warm sunset?

Even through the gorgeous, strong sandalwood incense smoke swirling rings,I can still feel you, oh delicate purple powder violets.

I understand you Samasara. You speak in song.

How very lucky I am to have a taste of this amazing scent! It is not the real Guerlain,but a very lovely vegan imitation of it. I am loyal to the shop I buy so many of my scents from. I am willing to bet that nowadays,Guerlain is not using real animal musk anymore. I think I did once smell the real scent quite a few years ago (it smelled gorgeous,but I was too shy to ask the lovely lady what she was wearing). I can't afford real Guerlain.

Kione
Kione

My ex-boss use to wear it all the time and I kept asking her because it smelled lovely on her. But I smelled it on a airport and it was far too strong so didn't dare to spray it on me!

the sun
the sun

I can see how everybody like samsara.But my self can not stand on it.It is so heavy and heady. I feeling plastic smell in it.Staying power is great.But anyway this is not my cup of tea.

nora elia
nora elia

After reading all the reviews, I am definitly trying it, Oriental perfumes are missing in my collection and this one woild be a good start, Wish me luck!

marymargret
marymargret

You remember what Coco Chanel said about accessorizing, ”always take off the last thing that you put on”? Well, you can safely take off all of them, put on Samsara, go out and still feel like a queen. This fragrance is a precious jewel.

olga1780

Inspire, it has probably a lot to do with exposing your nose to a wide range of scents that makes one understand and appreciate certain fragrances. If I had bought it blindly over a year ago I would have thrown it in the trash in a blink of an eye. But today I really treasure this beauty. It is truly amazing how a lot of so-called stinkers transform into the most gorgeous and sexy scents if you give them a chance and some time.

Awatef
Awatef

An excellent winter wear its a bit strong but it has this fresh powdery smell I think its sexy and sophisticated

ANSD
ANSD

My grandmother's perfume!! Woody,spicy, strong, FANTASTIC!!

My evaluation:

Scent - 10/10 (there's no other...)
Sillage - 10/10
Longevity - 10/10 (more than 14 hours)

LaniC
LaniC

This is my signature fragrance. I may flirt with many, many others, but this one has my heart. It is at once comforting and sensual, sexy and intriguing. If it speaks to you, as it has to me, it will wrap its beautiful jasmine-and-sandalwood soul around you. It will enchant you and leave you feeling seductive, powerful, and serene, an enchantress who owns who she is. I wear this for myself, always. My darling husband is a lover of solifloral fragrances, and the occasional rich floral - he adores my beloved Amarige, thank goodness! - but sadly, the ethereal sensuality of this masterpiece eludes him.

brrandusa
brrandusa

I only had to open the door and my colleagues knew it was me, without turning their heads. And I could do the same with other people. Extremely strong, rich, sophisticated and keeping warm in cold days. Still, love it or hate it kind of perfume. I wore it for years, now I can't even get close to it.

shenanigans
shenanigans

I am also one that happens to like Chanel N0 5 but not Samsara. It just doesn't happen to be my cup of tea. Happens a lot with a lot of fragrances I'm sure ;)

mrmr
mrmr

it is heavy but i iove it
i wear it in winter

Swishy
Swishy

Samsara is my long time love. I always wear this in autumn and winter as it is such a warm and comforting fragrance on me. It's not like any other fragrance I have tried and I've tried a LOT. Beautiful.

Kazorwaman
Kazorwaman

Samsara is a very strong and heavy, but smooth and sweet at the drydown. So think twice before you wear it!..It most suits an evening romantic meeting at the open air...

krissycat
krissycat

I think Samsara is a little bit of an oddity, the scent is very unique and original.. so different then other scents I own and have tried. Upon first sniff of this one, I didn't really like it. It was just too different for my nose to handle, but I tried it again yesterday in the store, and this time my nose picked up on some of Samsara's pleasant notes. I think in the right mood I can really wear this. I find it quite romantic. I love Guerlain scents very much so I hope in the future to buy this and wear it on certain occasions

Angel10
Angel10

Don't be a bully Sierota.....both scents are very sophisticated, but that's where the similarities end.

Many who like No. 5 find Samsara overpowering...I think Samsara may be sexier to some, and it is stronger for sure. Both are for sexy women of power & influence. Okay, so two gaint similarities.

It's all a matter of taste.

Ms. Samsara would be the one with whom you will catch glimpses of her black lace push-up bra under her jewel-toned silk blouse, paired with black cigarette skirt & sky high black patent stilettos.

Miss. No.5 would be wearing a knee length light baby-pink wool dress that showcased her every curve, big fat pearls, and nude medium height pumps.

I prefer Samsara, although something tells me that I haven't smelled nothin' yet as I haven't smelled the parfum of No. 5.

We ALL sometimes take our perfumes a little too seriously.....Big Smooches for Everyone...On The House!

Sierota
Sierota

Hey kikiki...come off it...how come you don't like it since your favorite is Chanel No 5 :) ? Kind of strange, isn't it? Samsara is sophisticated.

kikiki
kikiki

Oh boy, Samsara is a very strong scent. Ill probably wait for another 10 years or so to appreciate this scent totally.

Louw
Louw

I can't make up my mind about Samsara. I am attracted to the floral fruitiness and the spicy, woody heart but when it dries down on my skin there is a note coming through that I really don't like - and I don't know what it is! It's not musk or vanilla but it's something strong and quite sweet. Does anyone else find this?

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Being reunited today with the original Samsara after 20 years was like going home for me. This was the first perfume bought for me by a boy when I was 17.

It was from a place where I had time to write poetry, indulge in art, and contemplate the universe with normal teenage angst. Wearing Samsara today, I'm wondering how I ever pulled off such a complex fragrance when I was younger. Yet somehow, it was perfect for me at the time. I really feel like I have found a part of myself again that I hadn't been in touch with for quite some time.

Biography aside, Samsara is truly a masterpiece from Guerlain. Rather than a remarkably, well blended formula, I like to think of the vintage as a work of art with a lot of heart:

A classic bright opening with a touch of green that feels smooth rather than sharp, attributable to the ylang-ylang combining with the sensory fleshiness of peach without much of its inherent scent. Even the opening alone is masterfully balanced.

Green, earthy, floral voluptuousness; sweet, slightly bitter leaves and flowers. The heart feels like it has a little bit of a clean, sweet, gently sour weedy feel that's hard to describe and won't appeal to everyone. A really unusual accord that's plush and velvety. If you don't get this softness, perhaps it exists only in the vintage version. I really don't know as I don't care to try the reformulation.

Sandalwood, warm tonka, the green feel of iris all contribute to such a transcendental ambience. True, this is a very full fragrance that is complete in itself, but I feel it also entices and leaves room for deep contemplation.

I only need to wear one light spritz deep down on my decolette. It's enough for me to enjoy without announcing to everyone "I'm wearing Samsara!" Besides, I'm selfish in that I don't care if anyone smells it or not. Samsara is one that I'd rather indulge in its subtleties.

An added bonus, my husband loves this on me. I just can't tell him that on old boyfriend (who he has met but I have no ties with now) gave me my very first bottle. My vintage EDP is very precious and will be saved for special occasions.

anitagoodspankin
anitagoodspankin

I recently acquired an old formulation EDP and am stunned by the perfection and sublime balance. Smooth and extremely mellow, deep and warm! It is golden and slick with amber and sandalwood. There is a strange stale note that reminds me of a cooking smell often perceived on the clothing of others in damp weather, but it doesn't detract but rather adds to the complexity! I also detect a bitter note that I believe is the narcissus. I can also separate a strong, albeit weird for this pyramid, violet that makes this fragrance seem serious and subdued. Maybe even dark and solemn in an old church sort of way. I can imagine this on a painfully beautiful 40 something woman with immaculate makeup and hair that softly ripples back from her regal face. This is one is for someone who feels like a Goddess! Nothing old lady, loud or dated here, only timeless elegance and effortless sex appeal!

samsara1977
samsara1977

As Samsara is my signature scent, I had to write a review. I read so many different opinions here.
I have to clear some things out.

1. There's a huge difference between the EDT and the EDP. If you overspray on the EDT you know how the EDP smells (at least that is my opinion).
The vanilla and sandalwood are way too strong in the EDP.
To me, this makes the whole Samsara experience much different than what it should be. So, I believe that people who don't like Samsara must have been sampling the EDP.
I once bought the EDP, after years wanting to retry and that was a mistake. Now I buy the EDT.
And DO NOT use too much, one or two sprays of EDT and you can smell it ALL day long, even if it's the EDT!

2. I believe that they use another formulation, depending on the country where they sell it. My last bought bottle (on the internet) has Arabic letters on the box while normally these are not on (when I buy Samsara in Belgium or France).
The one with the Arabic letters on is much stronger and not as pleasant, more synthetic.
So, if you can choose between both, look for the one that stays in Europe or VS.I believe that a small change in formulation can make a big difference, it's very well balanced.

What makes Samsara so different?
It is as well oriental as fresh. You can see on the top notes that it contains green notes but still it's warm. If you wear Samsara you keep on smelling both. One time it's fresh, another blow of wind or movement with your head and it's oriental.
Everytime I smell Samsara my hearts beats faster and I can assure you that heads are turning if you wear this walking into a room.
No other perfume has ever reached the level of Samsara, and believe me, I've tried a lot.

I used to have a small bottle in the 80's but I never thought that it would make such an impression on me later on.For about 4 years I've started to wear this again (once in a while, I leave it for special occasions and I even have two bottles)and it's definitely a perfume I will keep on using. They started giving samples again 4-5 years ago, so I got caught. But it is very well possible that formulation has changed, so they started promoting it again.

It works perfect in summer as well, don't know why people keep this for winter.

olga1780

What can I say here....Samsara is a timeless classic, deep, complex, majestic. EDP is exactly my cup of tea: huge projection and the lasting power is forever and a day.

trolleydolly
trolleydolly

Samsara is not in the least as I expected. I can't find it to be dark or deep at all. It disintegrates almost at once into a great big powder bomb. And that's all there is to it! Unless you want to walk around smelling as if you had fallen into a mountain of granny talc, avoid!

isi
isi

Es un perfume fuerte, Solo para damas elegantes, no apto para chicas deportivas... No es mi estilo en perfumes .

Is a strong perfume, elegant ladies only, not for girls sports ... Not my style perfume

lizzie81
lizzie81

I love the smell of this on others and in the bottle, unfortunately when i wear it it gives me a migraine, pity :(

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

I put in an honest review of this perfume back in January, but you Samsara lovers ganged up on me and voted it off! I have to say that not everybody likes everything, and Samsara unfortunately had a dreadful effect on me and made me physically ill (first time a perfume had ever done that), so to me it is a really terrible smell. I acknowledge that Guerlain is a talented perfume house with many, many great perfumes, and I own quite a few, but this Samsara...no, not for me, and I hope I never again smell it on anyone. I note several other reviewers have been honest enough to say they dislike it, just because you don't agree, don't give them the red thumb. The whole point of reviews is to give your personal viewpoint.

personagrata
personagrata

Wearing Samsara is like wearing no perfume, just your inner tranquility, spirituality and soul beauty.

MeganFrankie
MeganFrankie

I heard about the oriental delights of this perfume and so wanted to love it, but was taken aback by the strong initial heavy-handed assault of what seemed like plastic sandalwood. My hopes that this would lessen in time are dashed by now as the perfume still gives me a headache right to the end of the day. I have heard that many perfumes these days use synthetic sandalwood, though it could be the double-strength Orris root ingredient doing all the damage. Excessive amounts of Orris root does horrible things to my sinuses.

Such a shame because the beautiful vanilla and jasmine/florals notes mixed with the spices seem a more daring and intriguing combination than Shalimar. Samsara reminds me vividly of those Oriental bazaar shops that sprang up in the 1970s - bold, novel and enduringly fascinating. Worn on a blazing hot day it evokes sensuousness and insouciance - always a good thing. Maybe I should take it with a dose of Panadol, or else stick to L'Heure Bleue, which suits my biological chemistry so much better...

ShannyO
ShannyO

The reviews here are so poetically beautiful, wow, like a lost child returned to its mother. I remember when this launched back in the late 80s..... at the time I didn't care for it so much. However, I was only 14. Perhaps I will revisit this fragrance..... such lovely odes to this scent can't be wrong!

Alexandrarae
Alexandrarae

This is the one I return to, like a lost child to it's mother. It is always the same, loving, generous and imparts an enveloping cloud of such warmth and sweetness. I don't know of any other perfume that affects my spirit and mood as much as Samsara - even the name is pure poetry - whisper it and whatever you want can be yours. The spices travel on the wind and the amber gives it the warmth - it surrounds you and becomes you - when I wear it it makes me feel more "woman" than any other fragrance I have had. Samsara - your are truly a floriental treasure and I will never abandon you. Forever Yours!

whiten
whiten

I wish someone would make the younger version of Samsara. The original formula's of course. It is for 35+ age,I think, while I love it, I can't use it:( it really is a classic for me though, great choice for a signature scent but heavy for me... I would like to know if there's a 20 y.o. version of it though:D

20FourSevenEleven
20FourSevenEleven

.....Then there was the 'Silky Spray Body Powder' Aerosol.
Twenty two years on and the red can with what little content remains still smells classically Guerlain and beautiful! Judging by what I have read in various reviews, some of you reminisce of original formulations and have said that you have noticed changes in scents. Samsara, in my opinion, is no exception.

Although I respect all measures taken to preserve trees, the environment and the world in general, I cannot bring myself to compare the newer formulation of this scent to the one I remembered and loved - that powdery, lingering essence so.....uniquely Guerlain.

Adrien02
Adrien02

Purchased a small bottle of the un-reformulated version on Ebay because the reviews have totally piqued my curiosity and since when has Guerlain ever made a bad fragrance ??? Can't wait to try.

Received and tried. Classis, classic and very elegant and beautiful oriental on the same level as Opium by YSL. Can't say I really remember the original Samsara from the 80's except to say that back then I thought it too mature for me. Now, I feel it suits me well.

Maeva
Maeva

I'll definitely have to get the old formulation somehow, for I remember having smelled Samsara many years ago in a shop and I was totally fascinated by it, and now that I want to buy it, it literally makes me sick! I certainly can appreciate its beauty, but I can't stand smelling this perfume for more than 5 minutes. I saw this was also the reaction to Samsara of some other reviewer. Could anyone tell me why this happens?

sofiii
sofiii

Samsara (pre-reformulated version) is a gem!
The start is quite weird and unwelcoming to me, it reminds me a lot of Vol de Nuit, which I find too tart, nutty and hard to understand, but still intriguing enough.

Soon after the start, the scent starts to bloom. I get a lot of plastic-doll-head scent (it’s so real, just like what you smelt when you were four or five, decades ago), in a really good, nostalgic way. It has similar vibe as John Galliano's John Galliano. It’s powdery, soothing and every now and then slightly cold due to the iris.

The dry down is to die for, it has the spicy, woody, slightly cinnamon-y, almondy and vanilla blend. It’s creamy, vanilla-y, but with the woody and almond smell there to make it more grounded. It is warm, nice, like a cup of Chai tea Latte, but doesn’t have the edible or drinkable quality; it has some unique elegance, based on the Chai tea latte smell I love, but evolved from it, and stand out elegantly.

Wonderful scent which soothes, and makes me feel quite sexy in a confident, effortless way. If you can get your hands on a pre-reformulated bottle, get it while you can. Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys scents with a more complex personality.

I got the old formula from eBay. What a fascinating creature! This one's definitely a chameleon. The opening notes are so fresh that I honestly didn't think I was going to like this perfume at first. I was expecting something more sultry. But within 5 minutes, the scent morphed into something very woodsy and a bit coconutty. I expected spices to start cropping up, but they didn't. Instead something luscious and creamy crept in along with some mesmerizing florals. There is also something sticky-sweet in the base.

I can't help but think that if Allure and Hypnotic Poison were distant relatives, Samsara would be the missing link. It's got the bergamot and sandalwood of Allure, yet it also has the powdery vanilla of Hypnotic Poison.

a strong powder, not baby powder at all. a boss i had years ago wore this as her signature scent. it smelled heavenly on her. she always smelled like warm, amber, powder. on myself, it wasn't quite as stunning but still nice. a very classy and sophisticated perfume. quite nice for an evening out when you want to make a statement. a light hand is all thats needed.

SamarraMcQueen
SamarraMcQueen

Absolutely hate it. I was told that its a fragrance for "older people", but I don't believe age makes a difference. It punches you in the face with a power that I could only compare to turps/heavy spices. It smells like it's gone bad. Definately not for me.

soulflwr
soulflwr

I really wanted to like this one, but it has way to much amber powederiness for my taste.

What I smell:
First spray - Bergamont, Sandalwood, Amber
Middle - Violet, Orris root, sandalwood, Amber
Dry down - Orris root, sandalwood, AMBERRRRRR!!!

lol that's just my take on it.

jolielady
jolielady

I didn't believe the rave reviews here. I thought from the look of the bottle, that's another Opium and I would hate it. Just shows how some perfumes can give the wrong impression so easily from the packaging alone. Samsara is so NOT a Seventies/Eighties formula.It's elegant and incensey in a modern way, though it's very powerful stuff and a little goes a long way.

That said I don't love it the way I love Angel and Midnight Poison, which strike me as great originals that set a unique special tone.

But it's more than just good and it's definitely a great addition to any fragrance wardrobe. I'd recommend it (lightly applied!)for formal interviews and business appointments.

Lady Love
Lady Love

This is one of the miracles of Guerlain.

The best oriental Woody fragrance.

Oh my god!!!! I Want Him to Fall in Love With Me! This perfume is so awesome.. I am in heaven.

The first thing I smelled was a sweet spicy-sandalwood, then jazmin ylang ylang and violet take the stage, finally it dried down to a musky vanilla, followed by a very light powder scent. Unlike Opium and Coco it isn’t spicy or resinous, it is more warm and creamy.

Woody, Exotic, Complex, I really believe this perfume has a soul.

mehrdad
mehrdad

از بهترینهای عطرهای زنانه و در نوع خود بی نظیر

adele l
adele l

Rich and heady straight out of the bottle! Subtle spices riding the narcissus and jasmine..Samsara changes as it develops which makes it interesting and also means it's a test before you buy scent. Seems sweeter and cleaner at the base than vintage Guerlains; would also be too much if overapplied! It does dry down much softer (powdery violets) than the opening blast..eventually the subtle spices overtake the flowers. Very rich, mature and sophisticated- I find it warm and lovely!

floof
floof

This is stunning, God, oh how I love Guerlain. My 40 year old french friend used to use this and the perfume and my 14 year old self didn't get it at all, much too strong. Now I am 21, a niche/classic perfume junkie who tends to OD on perfume but is known for always smelling really good. Samsara is sweet and spicy, in the EDT not overwhelming in the least, a subtle sweet spicy oriental that is what it says it is. I have a feeling chemistry plays a big roll, my skin tends to bring out the sweetness in fragrances and lucky for me I love sweet frags. This is perfect for me, I can't wait to get my small spray instead of the sample. In the future I might be interested in the pure parfum and that body cream (my french friend let me try hers and it was LUXURY in a pot!) I think this is a sexy fragrance, if a girl wore it in front of me I would absolutely go weak in the knees! But really, its fantastic and I love Guerlain, the disappointments in this line are few and far between for me after trying most every guerlain creation I can get my hands on. Until recently, I could not appreciate the classics, I was just too young and my nose wasn't sophisticated enough to appreciate such beauties, and maybe my chemistry was different back then because these used to really be gross to me and now I can't stop obsessing on the classic Guerlains.... A must try for a strong woman who isn't afraid of some attention.

I would like to add I have Isvaraya on one wrist and this on the other and they smell quite similar despite not having any of the same notes, I think edt Samsara is a much better, and less expensive fragrance- so I am taking Isvaraya of my "want" list, I like this one more!

ReinaT
ReinaT

Samsara is definitely an oriental exotic spicy fragrance, in the line of Opium or Must de Cartier, but far more edgy. Opium is more floral and Must is more masculine. It is dark and mysterious. I can't wear it often, because it does make me a little sick, but I still like it. You don't need a lot of it. I have a small bottle of the original formula but use it sparingly, because it is strong. I like to dip or spray often, and you can't do that with this perfume. Definitely for evening. It means reincarnation, or life and rebirth. It's woodsy and warm, very spicy strong, but it always gives me a headache, so I can't wear it often. And it gives me a headache when someone else wears it too! But it does have a definite allure, a somewhat addictive quality, but in the worst of ways!

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

A partner at my work has this. She's in her late 40's I think, and obviously has taste. That corner of the floor always smells really nice.
I find this a very appealling smell in a sense that I would love for my mum fo wear it, I love the oriental spiciness the envelopes every pocket of air it is trailed through, but without making it unbreathable and sickly, like alot of classic fragrances tend to do(Chanel 5, Red Door and the like).
Although this is aimed at the slightly older crowd of women, It's not restricted as such, and is not a clssic fragrance in my nose.
Elegant, successful, enticing, powerful, respectable and respectful. Mature without age.

bettybooplennon
bettybooplennon

Es un perfume magico, romantico, sonador, excelente en los dias de otono e invierno, recomendable para aquellas personas que nunca encuentran un perfume que les dure varias horas por la acidez de la piel.
Al principio parece un perfume fuerte, despues de varios minutos quedan unas dulces notas de vainilla y sandalo, con un poco de musgo.
Solo para damas elegantes no chicas deportivas...

Adiro
Adiro

I tried Samsara edp at the mall and I thought it smelled cloying, heavy, and well, with a play dough note, really strange and chemical. But I have already arranged for a swap with another member here, so I decided to keep my word and get it from her, anyway. Well, the stuff that I got, a beautiful thing in an obviously old box.

This is another story: it opens somewhat fruity oriental, quite heavy and somewhat similar to the store one. I felt no citric notes at all. The dominant note for me is ylang ylang, which I am very familiar with from real essential oils. But soon after, narcissus blooms, coupled with a weaker jasmine, and makes this beautiful. Half an hour down the road, a strong violet appears and changes the direction of this perfume entirely. This is my favorite phase. After another time lapse, some vanillic sandalwoody and somewhat creamy chapter begins, with the violet and a slight jasmine still there. And it lasts and lasts....

This version of edp that I have gotten is absolutelly BEAUTIFUL! But I am hesitant to recomend it because I had such an unpleasant experience with the tester at the mall. Has it been reformulated? Was the tester off? I don't know, but what I know is that my tiny edp is a true chameleonic fragrance, as if one's watching a fast-forward movie in the life of a fragrance. Beautiful 'til the last breath! Thank you Mr.Chaz!

Miss Picky
Miss Picky

When I was an adolescent girl in the early nineties, an older cousin gave me a bunch of her old Cosmo magazines.

One magazine in particular had a fold-out sample of Samsara in it; the same edition also had a 'sealed section' (long, long unzipped, of course) that showed - gasp! - a naked man. Full frontal, full surprise to innocent little me.

So Samsara has ever, and will ever, remind of the heady experience of viewing the male form for the first time: strange, beautiful, and totally exotic.

What more do I need to say?

larali
larali

I am so excited to find this- it reminds me of my darling Tuscany Per Donna. This, however, is smoother and fruitier. I thought I smelled berries and I was surprised that there are none listed in the notes. I love it.

I think it is so strange that people describe it as "edgy" and "dark" and "spicy"- my nose doesn't detect that, it seems softer and more floral compared to Opium for example. My daughter told me it smelled like lemons. Visually I would describe it as a rich red velvety rose. Maybe it's my nose, or chemistry? I am using EDT.

Budaqueen
Budaqueen

I fell in love at first sniff with Samsara when it first came out back in the 90's. And at the tender age of 15, I got a bottle of it. Far too young to pull off such a heavy oriental fragrance, but I didn't care as it was the most wonderful smell ever. I never tired of sniffing my wrists or my scarves, and this gorgeous smell conjured images of the woman I wanted to become: beautiful, powerful and sensual. Samsara was the fragrance that inspired me, that defined me, that made me. Truly unforgetable!
I got a couple of bottles of Samsara then moved on to new, different fragrances as they came out (Laguna by Dali, Tribu by Benetton, CK1...)
But you would think that I would have gone back to Samsara after a while, as you do with any signature scent... well, I attempted to rekindle the passion with Samsara about 5 years ago... and the chemistry did not work this time. I was left confused as to why I had been so in love with the fragrance: was it me? My taste and my nose had changed??
I think not, I think the real reason is very sad: reformulation. The ad for "Un air de Samsara" (a fragrance I loved at least as much as Samsara itself) said "ni tout a fait la meme, ni tout a fait une autre", meaning "neither quite the same woman, nor quite another woman". Well this is what I feel with this new Samsara: it kind of smells like the old one, the right notes are there, but it is not the same, and it no longer does it for me.
Guerlain, you have disappointed me big time, and I would even say: you have lost me.

Niunia
Niunia

Very sweet, not spicy at all, Oriental? More floral...and again ... extremely sweet. I like it, my husband likes it on me and my friends are asking what I'm wearing....so I guess it goes good with my chemistry, but for me .... so so frag:)

eilismaireg

I just acquired a bottle of this and had never really thought of wearing it before as it reminded me of the 80's too much! As I got it for free I certainly wasn't going to turn it down, so here I am, proud owner of 100mls of EDT and matching lotion and hoping to god that I like it! On first spray there is an immediate white floral onslaught which hurriedly moves on to the mid stages of rose and jasmine - I don't get any citrus in this as I would in Shalimar, for instance. The praline-musky sweet drydown enters fairly quickly in the EDT and I am enjoying it, though there is a slight plasticky undertone. The sandalwood is also obviously synthetic but overall Samsara really is distinctive, memorable, smooth and beautiful and much more wearable nowadays than many of its contemporaries which lack its softness of character.
I will wear this perfume for cold days and nights out and feel that it's practically made for the festive season! Also, I loved the 80's so it's like welcoming back an old friend - such a familiar and stomping great powerhouse. Sillage and longevity are grrreat!!

A few weeks ago I wore Samsara and it reminded me of a more green version of the vintage Venice Yves Rocher. So you could say Venice is a cross between Cartier Must and Samsara. From the three loving Venice the most, but Must & Samsara are masterpieces too!!

DriHonne
DriHonne

I got a bottle of samsara EDT from my husband. I remember trying the EDP long time ago and did not like it at all. However when I tried the EDT my mind changed completely. It is a complex fragrance very far away from the floral-fruity-all-the-same fragrances we find so easily nowadays. At first I got a masculine note like after shave (maybe the green-lemon notes), then it developed to a flowery-spicy-musky note. It makes me feel powerful, classy, elegant, sexy, confident, sofisticated. My husband and I love it. Reserved to special occasions like my Tendre Poison and Chance Chanel.
Staying power in cold weather is great: around 24 hours.

icekat
icekat

SAMSARA is amazing! It has warmth and spiciness without being too spicy, character without being too strong, elegance beyond imagination and balance that brings spiritual and physical worlds together. The composition is done incredibly well. I love every bit of it from the spicy fresh opening to floral heart to warm vanilla musk woods. But there is so much more in this perfume. I saw comments by other reviewers on how this perfume helps meditate or invokes sense of peace and tranquility or transforms to another world. This is all true. When I bought this perfume based on reviews I did not entirely trust all of these experiences as I thought that the name Samsara sets the reviewers mind to see more than it is in this perfume. Oh, I was so wrong. This perfume fits its name perfectly. No doubt about that. The scent brings deep sense of spirituality, connection to eternal cycle of life and death and tranquility and balance to the soul. This perfume is definitely in my top 3 favorites. While I adore Shalimar, I do love this one even better.

The opening is fresh and bright with strong bergamot presence. Then it cools right away to ylang-ylang, citrus and green notes. The scent develops into flower heart but it does not get too sweet, as rose and jasmine duo is balanced by cool and distant notes of iris and orris root. This creates very pleasant tranquil flower combination. It is strong but it is not loud or distracting. The scent seems relaxing for the mind. It is very harmonious and balanced.

The dry down is absolutely divine. It is warm, comforting, sophisticated and just simply gorgeous. It is quite complex, so it is not easy to describe but I get very warm wood scent with light vanilla and iris aroma layered with light musk and amber. One of my favorite dry downs.

I definitely recommend it for anyone who loves classy beautiful scents. It is perfect for night and daytime as long as it is worn with elegance and chic that this scent deserves. I would not call it a casual scent but I can see myself wearing it at home when I am alone to unwind, put candles on, have a relaxing bath and let my mind to rejuvenate.

chuaalba
chuaalba

form me its more oriental floral,in my skin violet smell a lot.I like

hiraeth
hiraeth

THE BEST!

aquila_2009
aquila_2009

Hi.

However Words are Unable for SAMSARA Magneficence But I would say It is A Veneration to ROMANTIC LOVE!One of My All favorite time for a HIGH CLASS Lady.In my Opinion It is the Uniqueness That makes it Unforgettable. Classic, Rich,Mysterious,Masterpiece,Dreamy, Spicy,Luxurious,Alluring and Ultra Feminine.

This GUERLAIN Wonder is a Oriental Fragrance with precious Woods Undertones that give it an Air of Sharp Passion.A heart of Jasmine and Rose is complemented by Fresh Green notes of Bergamot,Lemon and Peach as with This Unique Blend surely You get Plenty Compliments when You wear it.

This Real Fragrance reminder My MOTHER. It is best reserved for SPECIAL EVENINGS and Cold Weather. Definitely it is not for a Young Girl I would recommend this perfume only to a CLASSY&RICH Lady who wants radiate at Special Occasions and Capture The Attention any Gentleman.

Sillage?Excellent.

Longevity?Extraordinary On my skin.

Thank You GUERLAIN.

SAMSARA Absolutely Deserves 9/10

Cereza
Cereza

For me it opened with lovely burst of citruses and green notes. Slowly it goes to somehow fresh, but very sweet phase, which I suspect is narcissus fault. Very, very wonderful/sunny and natural narcissus is lingering from my wrist, I feel tiny bits of jasmine, but never too much or overpowering. There is a slight touch of roses, which I see "fresh, pink and gentle". Rose is not all over the top, which is very good.
Somehow when the Iris appear it becomes little bit too powdery and sweet for my taste, but I can appreciate the quality of the sweetness. It's very natural, feminine and non aggressive as it sometimes is in more modern fragrances. But am I saying? Samsara is no old fragrance, it's modern and wearable at any ages if sweetness is the thing one is searching in perfume.

Definetely worn on fancy parties with black dresses. I do feel this to be little bit sexy and seductive.

Lovely masterpiece from Guerlain!

MidCenturyClassic
MidCenturyClassic

This is my signature scent for fall and winter. I love the powdery drydown - lovely and warm. I wear the body lotion, so it wafts whether I remove my jackets, but isn't too strong.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Oh my gosh - SANDALWOOD! Sandalwood and powder and a hint of bergamot. This is very different and not for the faint of heart. It is certainly a sophisticated fragrance, but more for the mature confidant woman than the young.

imperfect-angel
imperfect-angel

As I'm a Buddhism I know what Samsara actually mean, it's based on our believe that being alive in the world is full of suffer and struggling and we human will all die and rebirth over and over again as consequences to what we have done when we alived.
That's the meaning of Samsara...to live, to die and rebirth over and over again.

And with this elegant red bottle of Samsara I'm willing to do so...it's a heaven scent, you don't need to go to nirvana just apply Samsara you will know what heaven might feel like. It's heaven in a bottle. I can't get enough of it.

Jean-Paul Guerlain is a genius!

gingergirl60
gingergirl60

How gorgeous! I smelt this at the duty free shop at gatwick a couple of weeks ago, but did not feel I could justify buying it there and then.But could not get the delicious ladylike spicy smell out of my mind(nose!) and have just recieved a bottle from a lovely lady on ebay, £19 for 30ml,a bagain.i really like that there are a few perfumes that might even be nicer on mature ladies,a bit of a plus for us,and I think this is one of them. Love the deep red bottle.Can't wait to try it out on my man friend!

millan
millan

Just got me a bottle Of Samsara edp 3.4oz for $52, not bad. This is incredible. I spray some at 2:00pm. And went to work with my animals and sweat so much and at 10:00pm I still can smell it strong. I took a bath a vigorous one and I still got a skin scent. It is so good. But what really got me was after I took a bath I spray some more just to see if It would smell in the morning and it did, Not only that. my husband do not care if I wear perfume and sometimes he dosnt notice it either. But in the morning he just went crazy ,the perfume drove him nuts!!! He love it This had never happen before I'm happy , I just love this perfume and my hubby too

Passionflower
Passionflower

I got a sample vial from my mum today of the EDT. I instantly loved it and would never have guessed it's such an old fragrance. So I would say it is timeless. It's got the same sweet uplifting quality as Contradiction by CK although its a completely different kind of fragrance. I love the smell of Samsara, but I can also understand why some people don't.

arianperfume
arianperfume

I have EDP version and now I am the proud owner of a vintage preformulated EDP 30 mls bottle. I love both of them, the old formulation seems to me more vanilic and with less sillage than the current version.
My favourite over all my 100- and more bottles. Suits both summer and winter but I love it even more during summer.
What I can sense most are sandal, jasmine and narcissus.

cherubkiss
cherubkiss

I ignored this perfume for years, thinking it was not for me. Then I became very interested in guerlain perfumes. Samsara is very beautiful, it is pure sophiscation, and in my opinion only to be worn at night. It is a very sensual perfume, gives you confidence. It fills you with inspiration. There is also a very gentle side to it, this is the drydown, it is the most beautiful drydown.
For some reason the sandalwood and the vanilla comforts me, makes me feel warm and everything is all right in the world. Spray lightly and enjoy.

Rosabelle
Rosabelle

I love jasmine, sandal wood and Guerlain. Samsara is, to me, the epitome of orientals-classy, sharp, individual, french and poised. I wear it with burgundy, black, gold, I wear it in summer, with ivory silk, I wear it with furs,in winter and it never fades away. It is not a secnt for a bubble gum girl, it is not for snobberish people, it is not for uneducated. It's an arty fragrance and requires some grace ( to qoute Elaine Benes; You don't know who she is ?).

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

I bought some of this years ago and I really liked the rich exotic sensual smell of it. I had to put it aside though as my then BF said it was too spicy and strong for him and it really bothered his nose. It does have that Shalimar strong and assertive air about it that is typical of Guerlain. For goodness sake don't wear it to work or around any fragrance sensitive people.
I like it, it smells like Christmas to me with it's richness but I don't wear it anymore.

Update- got rid of BF , wearing Samsara again. Wonderful perfume.

I wrote a passionate review below because I love Samsara and used to love even more, but today I could smell the old formula again after many years I got used to the new one...
Please Guerlain bring the old original stuff back!!

angelyna
angelyna

I don't have any memories regarding Samsara and for many years I resented the idea of even testing something that old, especially since I have had some bad experiences with Opium (sorry, it's way to much for me) and Rive Gauche (kind of smells like chicken soup on my skin), but this one... I just love it!
There is a warm spicy scent that just lingers on me for hours. Even when I wake up in the morning I can still smell it... I would actually bathe in it! It's feminine and strong, but not overpowering (at least I couldn't manage to spray to much, and I usually have this talent). Truly one of the best perfumes I have ever had the pleasure to cross upon (actually it was suppose to fit my star sign - I tried it by accident, because I really thought them wrong).
Yet again, not for every age, IMHO you have to be at least 25 to wear this.

Annica
Annica

I bought Samsara to use it as a perfume for the Winter but now I have found out that the floral notes develop VERY well on the skin at higher temperatures.
In winter, they actually are a bit more subdued. Samsara is one of my favorites. A breathtaking beauty. I highly recommend that you try it.

Nemia
Nemia

I loved this perfume. It was elegant, refined, sophisticated, classy and just sexy in a candid, discreet way. Oh, I loved Samsara. I have to buy another bottle!

It was a scent for winter, for dark days. I'm sorry to hear they changed the formula.

It might be interesting, though, to have an lighter version of this classic perfume. Samsara Elixir ;-)

sky76sky
sky76sky

Oooh, Samsara you work magic on my skin! How could I have turned my back on you for so long? I misguidedly believed you to be a dated 'pile it all in & turn up the volume' relic from the 80's...how utterly shameful!

Samsara is effortlessly, strongly all woman in a loud-yet-soft way (here, at least, she bears the stamp of the long-lasting, loud & lingering 80's). She is not brash, sharp or foolishly flamboyant. She is the kind of woman who makes her presence known in a calm & quiet manner...the sway & swish of silk satin as she walks, the curve of her neck as she turns to you, the smile playing on her lips as she greets you...the look of a woman who is at peace with herself, a woman who knows. A woman you want to know.

Oriental all the way...the warm, inviting layers unfold & languish on the skin, wafting the wearer with subdued, wood-hued flowers on a deep, rich, resinous, incense & amber, almost leathery base. There is something ancient & mysterious about these perfectly preserved “still” florals – you could imagine this heady mix being part of some long-lost oil-&-honey ritual in a far away land.

Exceptional on warm-skinned, oriental-loving brunettes who wish to acquire an air of the exotic. A bewitching, captivating scent that needs to be applied with a light hand – you will share the secret of Samsara wherever you go. An ideal choice for that special evening. The bottle fits the perfume exactly – rich, opulent, sensual. Bravo, Guerlain!

(Thank you for educating me, Annica!)

Maki

Update: Remembering it, I fell for a small discount bottle (EDT). And Oh! I find it gorgeous like I remembered!! Funny to read that most people would wear it in winter, finding it a warm and/or dry scent. I find it quite refreshing and moist. Maybe the EDP and the EDT differ a lot (?)or this fragrance realy reacts differently to each single chemistry. I don't know for they did not have any sample of the EDP.
What I DO know though, is that I find the EDT strong enough as it is and it has a lasting power like no other EDT!
On me I smell no vanilla (for which I am glad!) but mainly ylang-ylang which heals the 'headache thing' I often experience from rose; and musk, very fresh! It feels as if I'm floating on air when the scent enters my nerves and sinews.
You should apply it with care indeed which I find in it's advance because you can enjoy a 30 ml bottle for a very long time. I don't tend to put on too much because I keep smelling it.

Ouch!
Ouch!

I finally got my bottle of the EDP today after waiting for nearly two months and oh what a joy!

This perfume...gosh..where do I start? As soon as I sprayed this the memories came flooding back. This perfume is such a gem to me. It's one of the big players, the mothers...the one that's untouchable. And it's all these things for it's uniqueness, it's power...it's ability to command a room, turn heads and make you stand out in a crowd.

It's absolutely stunning, it's one of the most sensual perfumes I've ever smelled. It smells like red musk, arabian nights, smoke by a fire and a gypsy dancer twirling by you.. it really evokes strong images in my head.

The actual smell? hm...it's very incencey and powdery, so so feminine...the wood is light in smell but apparent in strength if that makes sense. It's like a white sandalwood or something. This scent is truly enchanting.

It trails behind you a long long way so is to be treated with respect! hehe.

If you've never smelled this perfume before, you should because it is an absolute masterpeice!

JUST...AWESOME!

Oh yes..I DO remember!!!

I think it's the 'Sirene' amongst scents...
It is as subtle as it is present...

Sometimes a perfume ends in some kind of an 'afterglow' that is very 'transparent pink', like the bare sholders of a ballerina.
Samsara begins and ends with that glow.

Beautyful!

dragonesque
dragonesque

Samsara EDP is divine. It heals my soul and brings peace to my mind. It’s so smooth, woody and rich. It tenderly envelopes me in its cozy velvety wrap and makes me believe that nothing bad can happen while I wear this celestial scent.

milena

I tried a little of samsara today and we are not friends, I tried and tried so many times over the last couple of years but to no avail. This perfume is beautiful but not on my skin.It is strong and sensual but not on my skin. It is romantic and very sophisticated kind of scent but not on my skin.Maybe sometimes in the future we will be friends.I have to mention that it does not smell bad on me but it does not smell good either.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

I am sure I must have gotten a bum sample because to me the opening of this perfume smelt like beer! One of those awful fruity ales all the girls & metrosexuals drink nowadays.

It kind of mellowed out after that but then it just smelt like the 80s with 'essence of beer' thrown in.

I threw out the sample but I will probably retry it if I get a chance, to see if the beer note really exists!

UPDATE: I am happy to report it was entirely a rotten sample I got - Yay! I have never been so happy to be wrong before! Samsara is all black cashmere worn out to a candlelit cafe with a handsome man. Followed by romancing back home. It is the first fragrance I have come across which really suggested a season - winter.

I find it warm, comforting yet incredibly slinky, sexy & grown up at the same time. If it passes my handsome man's approval it could become a date night staple of my own. Nyack~!

flowermom
flowermom

my best pal used to wear this & let me tell you it almost distroyed our relationship- i got a head ache every time i stood near the poor girl, thankfully she soon got sick of it (well done her tolerance!!) a real "thick" scent, if you buy this make sure you buy extra paracetamol you will prob need it!

panda0410
panda0410

Body chemistry can make or break a fragrance on an individual. I happen to love this perfume; on anyone other than myself. On other women its beautiful, fragrant, sensual even, but on me is nothing short of vomit-worthy, not just to myself but to anyone who happens to be unfortunate enough to be standing in the near vicinity.

I love the rich dry sandalwood in this, the slightly green crisp notes over a floral heart, but it refuses to love me back. This is a perfume that not only should ordinarily work for me, but would also have joined the heart of my perfume collection - orientals/floriental/woods/mosses. I will continue to admire this scent from afar.

imoore
imoore

Do not do it to yourself!

Too strong and enters the room before you and kills people with asthma around.
Got it from my -70 mother-in-law, I think she was given it as a present and hated it as well that's why it ended up in my wardrobe, but I never asked her.

RRCOOLMAMA2
RRCOOLMAMA2

To the existence of my idea of Utopia.

I must say Samsara is a wine colored cashmere long sleeved turtleneck dress.

I wear it knowing that I am cozy sitting near to my fire place sipping on a warm herbal tea. On a very snowy evening my husband comes home holding behind his back some essentials oils all of different flowers.

But oops, it ends up in the fireplace, our beautiful wood cottage is now infused with the scents of all these flowers. It's a new season now, and the scent lingers on.

Lovely and sometimes intense yet still addictive.

sue165
sue165

my aunt use to have it and it was ok on her, today a co-worker wears it. OMG I can't stand it, i close my nose every time she's near my office,, maybe it's the body chemistry, it's just not good at all on her, it's suffocating.

bamboowu
bamboowu

A beautiful classic. Instantly recognizable. Powerful, strong, sophisticated and sensual is how I would describe this oriental fragrance. I wore this many years ago and recently rediscovered it again.

To me the perfume has a mostly woody/dry feeling to it. I can mostly smell the sandlewood, ylang ylang, a strong jasmine, musk and vanilla. Very strong, you certainly don't need much and is extremely long lasting (EDP). Perfect for a evening out.

It is lovely but I find it somewhat changed from the bottle I had years ago, though it is still strong, it now seems to be somewhat less intense. I have read that it was reformulated some time back and perhaps it is changed due to this. Regardless of that fact, it is still smells expensive and wonderful and is very beautiful in my opinion.

Classy, refined and eligant. Most certainly a classic and very fitting to the house of Guerlain.

Happy Spirit
Happy Spirit

This is truly an awful perfume. A few years ago I worked with a lady who used to wear it. I could smell her coming before I saw her. The scent would choke me every time. I felt like I was suffocating and my nose itched and I sneezed if I smelled it. I can't believe it's still being manufactured!

ebijou
ebijou

I think this one might become a signature fragrance... Wow. Wow. Wow.I have the EDT, couldn't find any tester of the EDP anywhere. It has a great lasting power on me. It is so soft, but sensual at the same time... I think I could wear this fragrance day and night, summer and winter. Somehow I don't like the name, the bottle, even the color of the bottle. I don't mind, the fragrance is just divine. I am a huge Oriental Woody fan, and a Shalimar fan too, but this fragrance is the best, and much easier to wear then Shalimar. Very powdery, nicely mixed with vanilla. A must-have for Guerlain and Oriental fans!

Nicole79
Nicole79

Samsara EDT is so warm and beautiful , very long lasting, exotic and deep .
...But...there is something "sad" about it...gives me that impression ;(

The drydown is sweet vanilla-incensy , very powdery , like red silk !

mister_chaz

Absolutely agree with hollycat!
Samsara is not necessarily something you'll instantly like - it grows onto you))
and the longevity of the EDP can only compete with TM Angel))

hollycat

I wanted to add that the EDP version is more floral than the EDT, the rose is very present and holds its own with the jasmine, actually obscuring a good part of the jasmine note in my opinion. It also has a less sharp and medicinal smell. The EDT seems to dominate with the jasmine and sandelwood and the rose is not detectable to my nose. Also, the EDP lasts and lasts.

hollycat

Ive been going back and forth with this one for a while. I always found this scent intriguing as well as mysterious, yet something about it had me a bit concerned about making it my own. Ive sampled the EDT and it sometimes made me nauseas. In dept stores I always found that they never had the EDP, just the EDT. I never wanted to buy it because I really wanted to know what the EDP smelled like. I tend to find EDT's are short lived on me. So just by chance I stopped in a discount fragrance shop in my neighborhood and couldnt believe they had the EDP, but no tester. I bit the bullet and bought the EDP unsniffed. I am so glad I went with the EDP for a few reasons. Firstly, it smells smoother, velvety, and richer. The down side is that its sweeter on the dry down, which Im not crazy about. Its stronger yet I dont find it nauseating. I has something I cant describe, like a quality that makes me think about its uniqueness, and appreciate it's uniqueness. I get the jasmine, amber, and insence, I cant figure out what else. I never found it instantly likable, but like a person who you meet for the first time thats not at all what you would consider attractive, over time you find that their personality is drawing you in and the next thing you know your infatuated. But you dont quite know why.

mister_chaz

after sampling my EDT mini, i went ahead and ordered myself a larger bottle of EDP. Among all of the Guerlain's that i have sampled so far (i've tried only a few) this seems most memorable.
it is a blend of oriental flowers, rose, bergamot, citruses and iris... very unique. Towards dry-down it gets sweeter and muskier.
this perfume is very strong: i sprayed my wrist and feel so heady, the scent is everywhere!
definitely not for every-day wear, not for hot days or confined spaces!
it's for the cool evenings, a saunter along the lake, a romantic night under the stars)))

lialu
lialu

I'got a loove/hate thing going with Samsara. Some days it smells like the ultimate in perfume, some days NOT. Maybe it's weather, mood? True classic though.Think they could have done much better with the new bottle design!!!! Bottle looks cheap.

Needs time to develop into total yuminess.

Sissi
Sissi

Smells like a Pharmacy from the wild west when the Chinese Immigrants settled
setting up their shop full of Medical
Herbs and spices. with red walls yellow
Paper black Chinese Caligraphy on the paper beautiful
exotic dolls with lucious silks and brocade Ivory Beaded curtians Hanging
in hallways incense buring. the pharmacist with his long gray beard
in blue silk costume.
conjors up to me A medicine show of the wild west.

the Occidental meets Oriental.

c3c
c3c

Samsara seems to be a question of body chemistry and riding the edge, much like the scent it reminds me of in the beginning. And this may offend some true fans, but on me at least, it smells so similar LouLou. I even tried them on together, one on each arm. Slightly different yet so close I didn't feel I needed to own both. The dry down however is quite different. I suddenly saw what all the fuss was about. Samsara's closing notes are smooth, sweet and wonderful. A true combination of amber, sandalwood and vanilla. As many scents I have that close in that range Samsara manages to hold it's own and make it worth seeking out and adding to my collection. Thank you SedNonSatiata for popping this in for me to try!

fanny
fanny

If you love oriental perfumes, this is a must-have. Whenever I'm not quite sure which perfume to choose, I usually end up being comfortably wrapped in Samsara, getting lots of attention and positive remarks by the way.
Feminin, soft and warm, not at all too strong in my opinion.

Edit 25/07/11
The above describes de vintage eau de parfum.

bloodflower
bloodflower

my beloved samsara, my perfume holy grail, this perfume will be my signature scent someday. from the moment i read its notes and heard the name i was so intrigued, i immediately tried it and got me samples. i love the spiciness in samsara, it is not intoxicating and strong as in kenzo jungle elephant, it is more creamy and fresh, peaches violets, roses, vanilla beautiful flowers and woods, fresh citruses prevent it from being heady or too spicy,classy, exotic, feminine, loud in a discreet chic way :). i'm just waiting for some years to pass and be a woman who can wear samsara. a true masterpiece.

eilismaireg

This is a strange composition once you've sniffed a few earlier Guerlains'. Unfortunately I don't think it can shake off its 80's-ness as it was extremely popular at the time and the whole City of London must have reeked of fake sandalwood! It is a bit of a powerhouse in its strength. However, smelling it on someone nowadays would certainly bring a smile to my lips if they had the guts to pull it off, though the lack of real sandalwood available currently will no doubt deteriorate the quality.

Vixie
Vixie

This fragrance held some promise by its initial notes, a depth expected from guerlain, but it has a disappointing middle and base, that left a staleness in the lingering notes. It was a kind of overpowering oldness and heaviness, mutton dressed as lamb as it wore on, with a little more mutton and a little less lamb. I can't say that I hate it, but it just does not have that special something that lives up to its promise.

behzad1280
behzad1280

Classic & warm scent that grabs attention, respect & passion.

It says clearly “I am The different woman”
I had never been impressed by a perfume before.

Longevity & sillage and projection are legendary.

I love any woman wearing it ♥

یک عطر زنانه کلاسیک و گرم که اولش خیلی تند و تلخه ولی بعد از نیم ساعت کلاً عوض میشه و اینقدر عالیه و پخش بوی بالایی داره که توجه همه رو جلب میکنه
انگار که داره این پیام رو میده: "من با بقیه زن ها فرق دارم"
من هرگز اینقدر تحت تاثیر یه عطر زنونه قرار نگرفته بودم
دوامش هم عالیه
یه خورده قدیمیه و ممکنه سخت گیر بیاد
هر زنی که این عطر رو بزنه عاشقشم

zvoncica
zvoncica

I kind of liked Samsara from the start. Strange, knowing my fresh, light, green perfumes taste.

Samsara smells on old castles, like the one in which Vlad Tepes lived. Impure, yet fresh. Rotten, still vivid. Earthly and celestial. This perfume rejuvenated all the memories I had from palaces, museums and theaters. Not for the beauty seen there. But for the smell I carried with me.

Long time no fresh air, lacquered furniture, thick curtains falling to the wooden floor. Dust, and bronze made dishes. Moisture under the wall papers. Ivy arching the main entrance.

When you look at some places, you think that must have stood here from the beginning of the time. Try smelling Samsara.

bartenderbabe
bartenderbabe

This is a beautiful scent. It reminds me of the old days, of embarking on an adventure, walking through a Turkish bazaar and seeing the sights, sounds, and people. Truly an Oriental fragrance, and somehow dangerous and evocative. The woods and florals combine perfectly to create a bold, elegant, and sexually charged fragrance. Best worn at night.

Michele716
Michele716

I finally tried this today and couldn't believe this was the same perfume I've been reading about. On me, it smelled like sweet dusty powder, but not in a good way. It must be my chemistry because I smelled nothing green and nothing floral. It went straight to powder. I like some powdery drydowns, but not this one.

mymlan

Samsara pure perfume ís like a bottle of perfect love. The fresh start resembles clarity of mind. The soft flowering heart brings you joy, comfort and sensual feelings enhanced by the musk and vanilla. The woodsy notes symbolizes integrity so much needed in a love relation. Red is the colour of love and I therefore find the bottle very suitable to this wonderful fragrance. It's now my best friends signature scent since I bought it for her. Hence it can't be mine - unfortunately :)

SAMSARA is an intensely woody, slightly sweet but still profound fragrance that is very well named. In Indian philosophy, SAMSARA is the breaking away from the cycle of hum-drum everyday existence to another, celestial realm. SAMSARA transports one to a place at once ethereal and sensual, resolving all contradictions to produce a synthetic unity of one's self with the world.

This intoxicating fragrance is rich and voluptuous, mingling many elements to form a magical elixir much greater than the sum of its parts. With SAMSARA, Guerlain broke from their unfathomably beautiful past while still managing to create a masterpiece of an entirely different genre. Somehow SAMSARA is both exotic and accessible, insistent and inviting.

SAMSARA is unforgettable and transformative, like a long trip to a land far away, after which nothing will ever be the same.

LadyMuck
LadyMuck

A beautiful but powerful smelling fragrance, not for the faint at heart.
Sophisticated and very long wearing.
Great classic fragrance but I like it during winter and only at nights. Packs too much of a punch for day wear. Probably suits 30+ wearer as well.

7seven7
7seven7

I love this fragrance. I had it ten years ago. A dark girl from Turkey was wearing it, and I fell in love with it instantly. I never got compliments on this perfume, yet I wore it for myself. Like Opium pefume, you have to have the personality to carry a perfume like this - not a delicate scent. Very bold, lush, beautiful, and confident and meant for that type of woman as well.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

Not for me! I tried in Macy's couple of months back because ive heard so much about it but this is not one I would ever buy. too something that didn't agree with my nose.

krishka
krishka

This was one of the first perfumes i fell in love it and wore it on my prom night. It is exotic, yet fresh, light yet longlasting.Sexy but not trashy.

moonflower143

this is the very first perfume i have from guerlain..for my nose, its nice and mild more on a powdery side,i like wearing this during daytime specially hot days, it covers the sweat with sweet powder smell. :-)and it lasts long too..

felineluvr
felineluvr

I love this rich and glorious perfume that exudes class and elegance! Unfortunately, when I wear it I am reminded of a very difficult period in my lifetime, so I don't wear it often sadly. To me it fits special occasions and nighttime best. If it weren't for those bad memories that are associated with it....I would probably wear it very consistently as it is one of the classiest perfumes around.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Samsara is a beautiful composition, the holy grail of oriental woody scents that I would have shouted for when I first smelled and loved Shalimar.

Soft, and robust-I sigh for this now.

The sweetness is continuous, rolls over the senses..the freshness of bergamot and lemon zest are hushed by ylang ylang which keeps harmony with peach, which is replaced by narcissus and jasmine. The narcissus, jasmine, rose, violet and iris all become one flower, with rolling petals, dark, alive in a moving way that goes beyond my mind's notion of the life of florals, and the
distant beauty of gardens.

The base is present at once, and continues sending sinews of sandalwood, musk, amber, the dry nuttiness of tonka bean and only a drop of fresh vanilla.

This is very very romantic, a nightcap for a clear head, the smell of sweet warm smoke in the cleanest air, the feel of tiger's eye beads against a warm throat.

alianeblue
alianeblue

Elegant, Sophisticated lady,It is a sensual and exotic fragrance, perfect for the strong and confident woman who is not afraid to stand out. It is perfect for a special and romantic night if you want to feel like the lady in red. This one is a perfect piece of perfection.

amelie
amelie

Once...long ago, Samsara was too mystical for me, even a bit difficult, now is a beautiful perfume with fresh top notes.Woody notes are so warm, so sensual and very feminine, Samsara seduces in a subtle way with its magic dry-down.
Probably should try all the fragrances every few years to make sure that we are not always the same, and the taste changes with time. I like to try the fragrances that I loved long, and sometimes surprise me that some frags were in the background. Samsara is the case. Finally, it is oriental wooden fragrance that I like, I just forgot that Samsara still shines the same brilliance. There are fragrances and perfumes, Samsara is the perfume.
Well, I love perfumes.

milena

Although I very much love and respect Guerlain perfumes, some how this one just does not sit right on me.It smells wonderful on my friend.

kizkad
kizkad

i smelt this on a girl about 5 years ago and instantly it took me back to my childhood as that gorgeous smell i can always smell on elegant women but i never knew what it was, so when she told me it was samsara, i had to have a bottle, it is slightly too strong for me to wear too often, i much prefer to smell it on the lid of the bottle, because i can smell the drydown there, and that is what i love about this perfume. the way i get the gorgeous smell to come out is i spray it on my pyjamas at night, and 2 days later it is still going strong but has become the smell that i love and adore so much. i think this is the thing with some guerlain perfumes, like my mother in law has a bottle of shalimar, but she doesnt like it as a perfume, as it is too strong for her, the way she loves this perfume is, when she has worn the perfume on her clothes, washed the clothes, dried them, then as she is ironing her clothes the subtle smell of shalimar comes out and THAT it what she loves. lol, so i think a lot of guerlain perfumes have to REALLY infuse before one can truly appreciate them

Quite an alluring fragrance that has certainly stood the test of time and is hailed as one of the most popular fragrances over the last two decades.

There's lots of rich woodsy notes and enough smokey incense to balance this fragrance out nicely. Particularly in the drydown, Samsara has a rather soapy yet spicy-like quality that I really admire.

The woman that wears Samsara is pictured in my mind as being classy yet seductively sexy, dressed immaculately in black silk and surrounded by a cloud of cigarette smoke which she manages to make a sophisticated recreation rather than a repulsive one.

Samsara is in one word; class. Luxurious, inspiring and elegant.

I can't say that I'm overly familiar with Guerlain scents, but from what I've tried or smelt on others I've been highly impressed, and Samsara is no exception.

I wouldn't call Samsara a loud or particularly bold type of scent, instead it is rather intimate and mysterious. I feel that this particular quality makes it all the more appealing.

Just a few squirts of Samsara and I can guarantee you that you will feel almost instantly more attractive and confident. A true gem in a world of rather common and boring scents. Samsara will make you stand out.

Dixie
Dixie

I love this in vintage form when real sandalwood was used. The difference is amazing from the modern version so try it if you can find it.

moonflower143

i bought this perfume just a few months ago, and i already have little left on the bottle. :-)i thought this is a very classic perfume but on my skin its powdery..like a baby smell:-)and i like it.

Auguszta
Auguszta

I'm in it for the drydown. The EDP has an amazing and totally addictive drydown that seems to last forever! Pure class. IMO, there's nothing dated about it. Good taste will always beat fashion.

Francophile
Francophile

This was my very first perfume and I fell in love with it the moment I smelled it. I can tell that how even over a few short years my tastes have changed. I used to love the oriental all encompssing scents such as this, but now I prefer chypre scents such as Coco Madamoiselle.

Dirty.secretss
Dirty.secretss

Jean-Paul jean paul...this frag is very classy it does take a while to kick made for a woman who conveys harmony and spirituality… while powdery and vanilla notes magnify this blend im don’t like vanilla but this vanilla pisses me off.. classic

LadyJedi
LadyJedi

A unique and recognizable scent, really deep and mysterious with amazing drydown. One of the best woody orientals imo. I simply adore Samsara and I would like to keep a huge bottle in my collection at all times! Great sillage!

Adriana_87
Adriana_87

You need to give it time,it starts a bit sharp but turns out so beautifully..very oriental,suits dark exotic women(like me...lol just kidding)And its better to go for the edp,it lasts of course longer.Love the bottle too!

Trvevil
Trvevil

As with Shalimar, this had to develop on my skin into gorgeus smelling oriental heaven. And it did.
At first maybe it's too old fashioned for some, but for me ok- it says don't mess with me, I'm mature. After all mature doesn't mean old, so it turned into rich, luxurious aura that wrapped me and warmed up. This should be worn with expensive, chic dress... or something cozy and feminine.
My thinks, you will never fail wearing this, this is the one of classic perfumes that for me stands in row with Shalimar and other orientals (hmm... in fact I should try more classic perfumes). I could say that this is a little similar to Hypnotic Poison only better in my opinion- it has more defined character.
It is sweet, but when I smell it my fantasy draws a piece of wood soaked in sweet floral oils. Fantastic dry-down. A must try for everyone who at least likes floral woody musks.

Miss Bloom
Miss Bloom

Wow! What an 80's powerhouse! But I love it.
It opens with a light fruity rosy top which quickly develops into a creamy sumptuous interior. The jasmine and Ylang are very evident to me and last forever. This is a stong perfume and I have had my best results with just one spray of the EdP. No im not joking. Any more than this on me and IT becomes almost claustrophobic its that cloying.
If used with a light hand this is really an extremely beautiful scent. Once the florals start to die down we are left with a soft cushion of powdery vanilla, woods and resins which will last up to 24 hours on my skin and longer on clothes.
Great sillage and bang for your buck.
A western translation of an oriental dream.
Love it!

perfumes_addict

you are right EvelynDFrech. i thought that samsara smelled like an old lady perfume too, until i bought it as a present for my sister. now, i think it is lovely and a young, elegant and sophisticated woman can wear this and smell fantastic. i think it's different with every skin. it's a matter of the ph.

EvelynDFrech
EvelynDFrech

This was a total surprise for me. Had excpected something like Shalimar and instead I tried some more and more, sniffed and sniffed, I really like this one! It does smell like one of my own compositions but with several layers under the first scent. It was more gentle than I had excpected, yet deeper. My friend who uses Shalimar, said she felt this one was for old ladies, I feel the opposite.

TashaRose
TashaRose

Sweet and exotic, yet musky and sexy. I love this scent. At first, I thought it smelled too strongly and wasn't sure about it. Over time it really grew on me. I wear the slightest drop on one wrist, and rub it in behind my ears and against my other wrist. Too much is really awful! But with just a hint, I find this perfume to be completely intoxicating.

Samsara is one of my favourite scents of all times. I fell in love with it when it came out and I was a young, insecure, innocent face, not so well dressed student, yet I was totally taken by it and didn't wear it. Other girls at school did, they dare to, but thinking about it now they were just more selfish people than I was. At that time I already own the beautiful PdT of Shalimar I treasured for sniffing purposes. And I wore romantic YSL Paris I still love. I don't know if it's a matter of eras, but very few things hit my brains like scents of that time. Among the others Samsara is one of the ones that many years later became signature scents. I had to wait for it. Previous signature scent was Amarige. Yeah, ok, I guess I like olfactive bombs :-) The secret for me are amber/vanilla in the base, very clean skin and tiny doses.
Samsara is for me an incredibly luscious oriental with floral tones that make it sweeter and less harsh than most pure oriental. It's a blissful mix of sweet jasmin and vanilla with interludes of sandalwood. It works lovely with my chemistry on some days, not always. There is a note I dislike in the beginning and I think it's what they call tarragon. It comes out as first note quite nauseating, but only on some days! The happier I am the more samsara smells gorgeous on me! So I bet I need to be happy to wear it (no easy job these days of my life, but I've seen worse things)
I have heard of Samsara like a powdery scent. not on me. The powder thing is there but very tamed, only giving a wift of warmth. It's both a comfort and a sensual dream scent. Relax and sex don't seem to deal well together in our minds influenced by competitive culture. Most people, even unconsciously, match sexual passion with aggressivity. Not my kind. Since I got interested in Eastern philosophies many years ago I always searched for this sense of well-being of both soul and body together that gives happiness. Samsara is sensual happiness with an eye on spirituality, intimacy, knowing. Extremely passionate yet elegant and in control, it's like a red dream in a Hindu temple. Of course, the Guerlain house has great marketing means and can build very strong images to carry their scents across the world. An exotic melodious name, spiritual meaning behind (it doesn't matter if they're understood the Western way), a colour, images that conjure sensuality and elegance (not vulgar like other ads) and the association game is done! That doesn't mean that Samsara is not what it is! It wouldn't be such a classic and beloved scent! Not everyone likes it, either on her (his?) skin or on others. It's a matter of tastes of course. I used to pair it with Habit Rouge with Guerlain. Female and male Samsara for me! I try not to overdo Samsara because it would me a big mistake like with many other old powerful Guerlains. Overdoing ruins these beauties and can easily result in annoying stink for the aftermaths.
Samsara is best recomended as a winter scent. Well, not true. If you wear EdP (only 2 drops), EdT or even the perfumed deodorant in warm spring or early summer Samsara will bloom in all its floral virtues, always blended with soft vanilla-woody notes as background. Not for the faint at heart :-) You need to be daring somehow and knowing too. I smelt "my" Samsara on some ladies... and I couldn't help asking myself: "Goodness, do I smell so crap wearing IT?" no, I don't think so. Many people complimented about my scent during years. Most of them are women and especially the ones who are deeply interested in perfume world, not the ones who buy the last flanker pushed by SA at dept store. Also some men complimented, but they were all 40 + and quite classical styled.
Someone told me that Samsara is red like me. I mean, red inside. Outside I'm a small Mediterranean woman with pale skin and dark hair and eyes. I've grown older since my first encounter with Samsara, but I still have that innocent-looking expression on my face, only harder because of life. Samsara is my softer, sensual. feminine side. When I'm in a more kicking mood I wear Nahema. Samsara is the good contented one, Nahema is the naughty girl.
Samsara is true beauty. I'm wearing only 1 drop of EdT on my left wrist and typing with right hand, sniffing my beauty in a corner desk of an industrial building in a grey city. A few sun rays enter the window. Samsara here is my close secret. Later at night I'll spray some more...

vdxl

Classic, sexy, red in all means: it expresses the true and classic power of woman sensuality. It is strong, so you will have to use it sparingly if not, you will smell atrocious. I really love this one on women.

Eau de moi
Eau de moi

A friend of mine used to wear this perfume and it smelled very feminine and flowery on her. I loved it and always thought that this perfume won't fit me. I was wrong, this is part of my classics now. And funny, it doesn't smell the same on me than on my friend. It is very oriental woody on me and more floral on her. Strange.

rosaria
rosaria

Classic,oriental, powdery, warm, woody, refined, long lasting.

Samsara's wonderful scent brings to my mind beautiful images of Hindu women wrapped in their saris...

I love Samsara.

lombredansleau
lombredansleau

Sweet oriental, sexy and long lasting.

perfumes_addict

this is a heavy fragrance in the good way. i normally don't like oriental perfumes, but this one is really something...great staying power too

vdxl

Sexy, lovely scent for her. It evokes the colour red in an excellent manner. This is maybe the perfume of love: roses, sandalwood and vanilla in a blend which has been imitated by many wannabes. An example would be Boss Intense-Hugo Boss. That one is good too, but not as upscale as this one.

wildheaven
wildheaven

Cool bottle, great scent... but the best part is the combo ylang-ylang with sandalwood, these notes run through the fragrance playing each other, enhancing each other, the ylang-ylang soft and sweet, the sandalwoods strong and spicy, but they feel like a couple, individual and complementary.

Lunohodik
Lunohodik

Got a tester several days ago, well guys, I didn.t really liked or disliked it personally, BUT, I got so many compliments on it! So I'm thinking about a full bottle:)

Its a very elegant scent I must say, not too sweet as many otientals, not obviously woody it soesn't hit you up your nose. Its subtle. Its like something slippering, I don't really feel it on myself, but its always present at the same time:)

Makk
Makk

Dark scent with sophisticated sweet. Like black tea poored out on red silk wear of oriental dancers, full of sandalwood and glare of roses, warm and strengh. When I wear it, I feel like oriental Queen on dinner dance, seductive and proud.

After many hours my body smell like put on me little sweet date oil. Date from datepalm.

krisiva
krisiva

For a long time Samsara took leading position in my wish-list of dreamed scents. Finally, its EDP version became a part of my collection. Dark, seductive scent, bringing in my mind images of the Orient, or at least of what my perception of the Orient is. At first it starts with lemon and peach, and gradually dries to a very well balanced combination of vanilla, sandalwood and musk. The staying power is really amazing. I should admit that probably I will never become addicted to it, as it is quite overpowering and too dark to fit my personality. But it is a little luxury pleasure to treat myself in a special moment or in a cold winter day.

lilinah
lilinah

I really wanted to love this scent. But for me, the musk unpleasantly overpowered all the other fragrances.

Having read how scents smell different at different times of year, perhaps i should try this in the cold season.

Emeraude
Emeraude

I bought Samsara Eau De Toilette,it smells very nice on my skin...sweet,exotic...

julianne35
julianne35

very long lasting..it has been 8 days since I sprayed it on the paper, it still stays there with a very nice, warm and elegant scent..but ı can not say that ı liked it a lot for the first hours...

azuriiita
azuriiita

well... definitively better than the classic opium for my nose :D
The drydown its specially pleasant.
Feminine, not too sweet, its a good oriental. On my skin its just an elegant scent :) good

nauticaa
nauticaa

I only had a sample of Samsara. It might have been my high expectations, but it did not smell at all sweet and cozy, mysterious and alluring. I just had the image of an ancient monolyth before my eyes, if I had to describe the smell. Reminded me a lot of Freya from Oriflame. Samsara was to me cold, calculated and a little bit of sophisticated, too. It faded in a couple of hours, perhaps it was the new formula someone it talking aboutin another post. It s a nice smell, but i won't buy it.

First blast is a punch in the nose. After the top notes, clashing terribly, leave, it’s a lovely dry down of sandaly vanilla.)

0_o
0_o

Although this scent is a bit aged, and therefore in my opinion more suitable for older women, this is a very lovely, warm and rich scent. At start it's a bit chemical, but it dries down very well and it becomes softer and richer every hour. Most perfumes don't stay very long on me but this one is really long lasting. Although I love it, I feel too young for this perfume.

jredman
jredman

I was studying abroad in Bordeaux 89-90 and one day I was sitting at a cafe and a lady walked past. I was instantly in love with her perfume. A few weeks later,I found it in a little perfumerie. I remember that it cost about $50.00 at the time and I was very broke but I had to have it even if it meant eating bread and cheese for days. I loved it. Alas, my body changed and now it smells harsh on me, almost plastic. Did they change the formula? I would love to recapture a bit of my youth and be able to wear it again...the memories it would bring back. I think for women that as we have kids, take the pill, get older, etc, our hormones change. Now I rarely give away a perfume that I don't like at first because my chemistry seems to change so much.

kokica
kokica

a very strong,sweet and kind of attitud-y scent... oriental,rich and foggy but with magnificent drydown that doesn't change for days....like a precious egyptian oil...

Taxidermy
Taxidermy

This one is a real gemstone, a piece of art. Very sophisticated perfume. It's like a beautiful velvet veil which separates real world and heaven. Samsara is the most beautiful among all oriental-woodies, not overly sweet. And the bottle is fabulous...

essija
essija

This is classy and a head turning fragrance. I wore this years ago and would like to smell this again. Sexy, Confident woman only please.

dina
dina

Real uniqueness and sophistication....
I used to wear it a lot back in the 90s tillt they reformulate it to this ugly scent which it turned into. What a pitty !!
However, if i will use it again for old time sake memories, i would use the edp, the edt is a complete desaster.

PELA
PELA

I DIDN'T FIND IT INTERESTING IN MY SKIN.IT'S NICE WEARING IT IN THE MORNING ONLY.LIGHT AT FIRST AND THEN IT GETS STRONGER.

Malegria
Malegria

It is NOT a perfume for the afternoon. It turns heads!Very classy, very feminine and sexy.Requires a great deal of confidence and an evening dress. At least a nice cashmere sweater.

coco76
coco76

re: Kalte Stern's description of the 'putrid' smell...i myself have notice that a few times and i believe the culprit is the Orris Root. On some people it smells quite lovely, but on me it is usually (8 times out of 10) unbearable. check the other perfumes that you have tried that gave you the same effect; you may well find orris root in their notes. as well, i find frankincense quite abhorant on me as well.

KalteStern
KalteStern

There is something in it that doesn't work for me - so much so that it smells really horrible: animalistic, putrid or rotten. I have never worked out what it is, as it crops up in quite few fragrances, but I can spot it immediately. A pity, as many of he other notes are just lovely, and I usually love spicy and earthy ingredients

popcorn
popcorn

it is my parfum.all seasons i can wear. i like this smel elegant and deep . hawe nice vanilia achord long lasting

Mitsouko

Great smell. Unique. Recognizable. Beautiful exotic flowers, sweet orientals base. Tranquility. Gentleness. Femininity. Mysticism.

add: now I see, than I wrote about Samsara. Really mistic smell.

lolo
lolo

very nice and strong scent ....for evening........

alinaelenasandu
alinaelenasandu

Strong, sophisticated, elegant, mysthical. You love it or you hate it.

Mitsouko

When many years ago I have smelled first case Samsara, I have admiration. It's wonderful smell still. First it smells lemon roses. Next becomes very sweat, dark. It held about skins, but causes impression, as it if pulsed. Samsara is elegant and unusually appealing. Associated with mature, certain values, friendly, beautiful woman.

dioradddict
dioradddict

I agree with Candra, I do have great memories from wearing this very sophisticated and rich parfum too...surely is the one for the confident woman!!

Candra
Candra

I bought this perfume twice. It's sexy, smells very rich and sophisticated.I have great memories from wearing this perfume.It's a perfume for the confident woman.

takemyhusbandplz
takemyhusbandplz

I used to wear this quite a bit. After awhile I just stopped reaching for it. I absolutely love the smell of Samsara, but on my skin it just keeps getting stronger as it wears. Definitely, a perfume to use with a light hand. I won't repurchase this again, but, I love the scent.

Samsara by Guerlain 3.86 out of 5 based on 2872 ratings and 435 user reviews

Samsara Perfume by Guerlain, 3.1 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Refillable for Women
Samsara Perfume by Guerlain, 3.1 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Refillable for Women
Samsara Perfume by Guerlain, 1.7 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
Samsara Perfume by Guerlain, 1.7 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Samsara fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Samsara, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Samsara by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Samsara by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.