Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

Samsara Extrait Guerlain for women

Samsara Extrait Guerlain for women
dislike

yellow floral

Samsara Extrait by Guerlain is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women. Samsara Extrait was launched in 1989. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Paul Guerlain. Top notes are green notes, peach, ylang-ylang, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are iris, violet, orris, jasmine, rose and narcissus; base notes are iris, sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, musk and vanilla.

Green Notes Peach Ylang-Ylang Bergamot Lemon

Samsara Extrait Fragrance Reviews

TillyWave
TillyWave

A Million Jasmine Flowers

The extrait version of Samsara is like wearing an entire field of blooming jasmine flowers...I think it's the most concentrated jasmine scent I've ever encountered. The scent borders on being oily, night blooming/nocturnal...white flowers in the dark. On the edges of the jasmine garden are narcissus, ylang ylang, and violet flowers. But oh my the jasmine.

Slowly it wears down, and the white flowers become less dense, and the iris becomes more apparent, and of course the sandalwood. The sandalwood is quiet and smooth, and wonderfully creamy with a bit of vanilla, but it is still a backdrop to the floral notes.

Unless you are a diehard Samsara fan I don't think it's necessary to seek this out. I really like it, but I only wear it to layer a few drops over regular Samsara perfume. After the intense jasmine-floral explosion wears down, it wears rather quietly. It's nice to wear a few drops of this to accent the EDP or EDT.

dameharrietbond
dameharrietbond

I cannot abide the opening of this, it almost makes me gag, but I grit my teeth and endure it as I adore what follows. I love the trail on other people, the dryness of the sandalwood. I would love it if I was rating it on the drydown alone. I rarely wear it myself due to the opening, and I think it may be the ylang or jasmine (?) that is way too much for me. But it is something I like to own and to wear at times.

almondbreakfast
almondbreakfast

This smells heavenly soothing.

Rounded, smooth, full, peaceful. Surprisingly it smells quite similar to Dolce Vita extrait minus the cinnamon. DV would be the more beautiful sister, Samsara would be the wiser one.

I am in love with it!

By Guerlain

Green Notes Peach Ylang Ylang Bergamot Lemon

Iris Violet Orris Root Jasmine Rose Narcissus

Iris Sandalwood Tonka Bean Amber Musk Vanilla

For me the vintage '89 extrait pure parfum is the best representation of the fragrance. Samsara as the more powdery Eau de Toilette and the perfume spray bottle is good too, and among my many reviews I wrote one for that version which is the reformulation and which I likened to an elixir of life, a Buddhist potion, the spiritual transformation of Siddharta Gautama into the Buddha. Samsara in Buddhism and Hinduism is the cycle of life, death and rebirth, which for the Hindus is unbreakable but for the Buddhists the way out of it is through enlightenment and nirvana. With such a strongly suggestive Buddhist name like Samsara I wanted more out of it. This is supposed to be an Oriental but the vanilla and powder, on me, give this fragrance the effect of a typical 1980's luxury powder. It's still very beautiful, elegant, and my kind of perfume. I wear this for dinners and formal evening events.

Samsara's opening is a peach and ylang ylang which harmonize beautifully. It is not 100 percent similar to the peach-ylang in Arpege but one can argue that it has the same sort of fragrance. It is not terribly fruity so this peach is soft and subdued, allowing the ylang ylang flower to take over. As the scent progresses more florals come into play, namely the iris and violet. There are two notes of iris. This is a heavy iris, too.

It's mostly iris in fact. The powdery root of orris is also an iris scent. For whatever reason, this iris has the smell of a sweet licorice root. I said it before and I'll say it again. Samsara smells like Twizzler LOL But that's not bad. Good thing I like Twizzler and licorice. The iris and violets are heady, intoxicating and enchanting. They leave a bluish purple powder cloud of scent wherever you go. This has a nocturnal feel, like an Asian Empress or Geisha who has put on powder and violet based perfume to attend a tea house and to serve Westerners some tea.

Guerlain specialized in this comfortable, cozy domestic type of "tea" scent. We remember Mitsouko and that's totally a lemon tea scent. But Samsara is more floral and more powdery, with licorice and violets not too far from smelling like the gourmand classic Lolita Lempicka. The vanilla in the dry down gives the scent a sweetness and femininity but because this scent has stronger "rubber" or "burnt wood" aspects coming out of the woods/sandalwood, this scent can be unisex and guys can rock it too. A touch of musk and amber finish up this fantastic fragrance.

Samsara is eternal.

It's a fragrance to take with you into your next life.

Madrona
Madrona

Out of all the orientals in my collection, this one reminds me the most of Shalimar, which I guess is not very strange considering that both are Guerlain. This is less vanillic and less citrusy, rounder and a tad more floral. I seem to prefer Shalimar.

Marco<3
Marco<3

Ho in mio possesso un estratto da 30 ml del 1988.
Amore eterno.

amaranto
amaranto

I have a European-release 1988 bottle of Samsara extrait. I purchased it because I remember liking Samsara many years ago when I smelled it in a department store and because I love sandalwood and wanted a heavy dose. However, granted this bottle of perfume may have changed a little with time, I don't detect a large dose of sandalwood here. The notes that stand out are, first and foremost, jasmine, followed by ylang ylang and a peach. I'll admit I was a little miffed by the lack of sandalwood, but I've fallen in love with the florals, especially the jasmine, though the ylang gives it a nice creamy backing. I can see some similarity to Mitsouko in the way the peach and jasmine are done, though Samsara is decidedly sweeter.

The extrait has excellent staying power, at over nine hours on my skin. Projection is not very strong but is consistent and about arms-length. Overall, this scent is very floral and a bit serious. It may be too feminine for some men's taste, but it's very well-done and worth a try if you like the notes listed.

born for shalimar
born for shalimar

Its been sat in a dark draw for a year.i have changed so much as i love this perfume.when i first bought this lovely bottle i took a few whiffs and stuck it in a dark draw.i think i was comparing it to the edp reformulated which i doesnt do much for me.i have a 3/4 full bottle for swops if anyone has a lovable vanille preferably guerlain.i thought id love it as id bought some in the 90s and the memory lingered.it was the first edp i bought as a fragrantica a few years ago.i can smell the lovely delicate notes of the extrait on my wrist wafting up and enspiring me.very oriental.this has to be for winter, sweet lovely warm caressing.now i know i will seek out another bottle.its beautifull thats all i can say .the reformulated would do fine especially if you are a douser like me but the extrait is for wrists and behind ears for close encounters.

gatsby
gatsby

you girls are just awesome with your stories <3

Peta22
Peta22

Wow… ok – this was a surprise. I bought this blind on the strength of many, many reviews I’d read online. Everything I read had made me believe this was most definitely a fragrance for me. So today my first 2ml Pure Parfum sample miniature arrive (I’ve also ordered a decant of pure parfum and a 100ml EDP plus another 2ml will arrive as part of a collection of Guerlain miniatures – did I say I’ve developed a perfume and online shopping addiction!!)… I immediately dabbed it on my wrist a couple of times and inhaled… I had no idea what to expect really but it seemed much milder than I expected to start with! Maybe I didn’t really apply enough? I was being so careful not to use too much as I was expecting a bit of a monster from the reviews… anyway, it just seemed remarkably quiet – And as for the fragrance? Well, my first instinct was ‘old’! Having just re-read previous reviews, I now understand the reference to ‘old furniture and antiques’ that popped up a few times – that seems very apt to me now actually. I can also understand the references to this being a comforting fragrance… as it settles down I can also visualise old Asian antique stores and furnishings that date back through generations. When I was sniffing my wrist I was getting a very soft, old, florally fragrance (I’ve since washed it off my wrist) but now that I’m sniffing a dab of the fragrance on a tissue, I’m getting the sandlewood with tinges of spice and flowers that I can’t identify… it’s a very atmospheric fragrance to me though – it’s old Asia. Being lovers of anything Asian, my husband and I have spent many hours wandering through markets and antique stores through-out Asia and this fragrance is taking me back there. I’m not sure whether I want to actually ‘wear’ the fragrance though which is rather disappointing to me as I was so intensely excited about it! Anyway, I intend to continue to get to know this perfume in all its intricacies… Worst case scenario, I’ll have plenty of it to fragrance our home!

Ditta70
Ditta70

If you have read my review on the (vintage) EDT, you know how much I love Samsara. Recently I was gifted three 2 ml samples of the original, 1988 (yes, it was released that year in Europe!) pure parfum extrait.

To imagine how the extrait compares to any other (good) version of Samsara, add to it half a dozen more dimensions, depth, the creamiest creaminess and the softest caressing darkness you can think of. Imagine the whole thing wearing a corset with push-up bra and a blood red satin evening gown, illuminated by the golden light of hundreds of candles in chrystal chandelliers.

This is the stuff of dreams.

deborah.ponzio
deborah.ponzio

This is simply my favourite, it makes me fly.

Sherihan
Sherihan

Simply a must for any Parfumista .

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Samsara Extrait fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Guerlain Samsara Extrait, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Samsara Extrait by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Samsara Extrait by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.