Designers » F-H » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Shalimar Eau De Cologne Guerlain for women

Shalimar Eau De Cologne Guerlain for women
dislike

Shalimar Eau De Cologne Guerlain for women Pictures

Shalimar Eau De Cologne by Guerlain is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women. Shalimar Eau De Cologne was launched in 1925. Top notes are bergamot, lemon, mandarin orange and cedar; middle notes are iris, patchouli, jasmine, vetiver and rose; base notes are leather, sandalwood, opoponax, civet, musk, vanilla, incense, peru balsam and benzoin.

Bergamot Lemon Mandarin Orange Cedar

iris Patchouli Jasmine Vetiver Rose

Leather Sandalwood Opoponax Civet Musk Vanilla Incense Peru Balsam Benzoin

Shalimar
Keora

Shalimar Eau De Cologne Fragrance Reviews

pusia
pusia

The best 'flanker' (1925!) of Shalimar.
Avoid all Initials etc.
Like a younger, but still beautiful, sister :)
I adore.....

feathers
feathers

This was the second perfume I bought upon joining Fragrantica. It was the only formulation available to me at the time, and I just had to find out what all the excitement was about! My grandma didn't wear this, or my teacher, I had never even smelled any guerlain. Now at first,and at that time, I was a little dissappointed, but probably because I just wanted more florals! I wore it faithfully through winters and autumns, and now that that bottle is nearly gone, I find that I do not want to be without it!
Other reviewers maintain that the EDC, while being affordable, is faithful to what Shalimar is. I've read elsewhere, a lovely "elder" exhorts one not to even mess with "eau de" this or that. Just buy the pure perfume! And while this seems sage advice to me, I could probably be satisfied with another bottle of the EDC!
If my budget were half that of the elder, I would splurge and try the pure parfum! In a heartbeat! But I consider myself lucky to have Shalimar EDC at my disposal! It's a wonderful perfume, easy enough to wear, and accentuates any mood you happen to be in. Will help one to appreciate what true quality is. I think I am more of a chanel type of girl, but this guerlain has won a special place in my heart!

AgentMakeup007
AgentMakeup007

I remember I used up to three bottles of this many years ago before moving on to some other fragrances. I really, really, love this perfume! And to this day, still remember it with love, lol. It's so clean, soft, and powdery. But it doesn't smell like any cheap powder, this smells very subtle and fresh. This oriental fragrance is so different from what perfume industries offer nowadays! It smells so innocent and soft, in many ways. It surprised me this is so soft yet so long lasting on the skin! Definitely not like any other eau de cologne I have ever used before. I would literally wear this for a whole day, and even after a shower, the next day my neck would smell like a baby's skin. I really want to buy this and make it my staple scent again, but I have to save up! This perfume costs up to $90 per bottle! I know it's totally worth it because I guarantee you there won't be another person smelling like you in the entire town, but it's still very pricy. Definitely a UNIQUE scent. Check it out!

Dinkum
Dinkum

Have always have trouble with Shalimar, until now. Respected, liked, not not loved this scent. (The EDP. The pure perfume I have never tried. Yet.)

What put me on the track was my experiences with Chanel no 5: The vintage EDC and the pure perfume of no5 is simply wonderful. Could it, possibly, be the same with Shalimar?

YES! Finally got hold of a vintage EDC Shalimar(the tearshaped bottle). NOW I get what´s it all about. Not that overpowering thick smoky vanilla that is EDP for me. This EDC is just the perfect amount of leather, smoth lemon and vanilla.... Goldilocks relevation.

ForrealMe2

I don't know what it is about the vintage Shalimar EDC but the aromatic scent cloud is amazing i am going to test this against the regular Shalimar EDP tomorrow cause i wonder if they both give off the same amazing sillage cloud like the EDC does? we will see but i really love the EDC for doing this...if this beats the EDP in sillage i might be apt to only buy the vintage EDC which is a heck of alot cheaper than the newer EDP..its just amazing...love it and highly recommend it.

MEL810
MEL810

I generally love Shalimar and just got myself a new bottle of the EDC. This one has the strangest opening note that I don't remember from my earlier ecounter with Shalimar back in the 70's. The bottle's opening nose is citrusy. Then when I spray it on, it opens with something that resembles creosote/coal tar. YUK! I was going to return the bottle because of this but I waited a few minutes and it mellowed into the citrusy, deep vanilla with a hint of leather and smoke that I remember from before. Deliscious! I don't know about the sillage because it is only me smelling it when I apply it but this stuff lasts forever and a day on me. I sprayed it on one evening before I went to bed (I use regular scents as aromatherapy not the gawd awful conconctions the new-age types use)and it was still there when I got up eight hours later. It lasted through most of the morning!

matty64
matty64

Definitely unisex, but has a slight powdery dry down. Excellent cologne though.

Mrbigbigtoe
Mrbigbigtoe

I really want to know what kind of unisex this is.

I wear Chanel No 19 EDP. Not because I'm gay, but it just smells so amazing and honestly a straight man like myself could pull No 19 off very easily.

Could a straight man pull this off?
If not, are there any other fragrances that a man could pull of by Guerlain?

Please message me:)

PS I love HEAVY green/leather scents like No 19.
NOTHING POWDERY AT ALL!!!!

I have been feeling nostalgic as I sort through my worldly possessions acquired over the past ten years--and before--in preparing for The Big Move. It occurred to me that I have never reviewed Shalimar. Since it is a nostalgic scent, I have donned the eau de cologne this morning and will try to review the other versions as well over the course of the day.

What to say about this classic that has not already been repeated ad infinitum by everyone and their great-grandmother? From a reviewing perspective, Shalimar offers great, perhaps even insurmountable, challenges. My bottle of eau de cologne dates from the twentieth century. So is it vintage? Well, yes, it's vintage in the sense that it was not produced in the LVMH period of Guerlain. But it's unlikely to be a very accurate representation of what this creation smelled like way back in 1925. I'm not even sure when the eau de cologne was first launched. It has a sort of burnt-out appliance scent in the base which I have always associated with Shalimar, so the spirit of the original is perhaps conveyed here. But is this particular instantiation of a fragrance nearly universally acclaimed as a masterpiece still a masterpiece?

I rarely wear Shalimar. Same for L'Heure Bleue. In the former case it may be because it has been cheapened through the mass production of drugstore versions. So many people were wearing Shalimar at one point that it became almost banal. Sorry fans. Today, I no longer smell much Shalimar in the air, but on occasion its unmistakeable scent will waft by. People have reported that in nursing homes Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue function as air fresheners--or not. Poor Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue are regarded by some younger perfumistas as classic examples of classic old lady perfume--along with Chanel no 5, White Diamonds, and other aldehydic perfumes which have fallen out of favor among consumers trained to believe that abstract fruity-florals with an industrial clean edge are the "great" perfumes of the twenty-first century.

Do I like Shalimar? I suppose that I do. I believe that it is an iconic perfume--but is that because it has the tattoo quality shared also by something as unmistakeable as Calvin Klein Eternity? Do we identify as great works of perfumery those which carved permanent, indelible memory traces in our minds? Is that all that it is, in the end? To be remembered is to be iconic--for better or for worse?

ForrealMe2

this review is for the vintage EDC and i must say it smells just like the Shalimar EDP except its more aromatic with the citrus but less of the leather..the leather is there but slightly behind the notes instead of it being bold...if you are starting out with Shalimar and are not ready for the heavy leather do start with this after you have tried Eau De Shalimar to build yourself up to the EDP...the vintage really gives off a refreshing cloud of the fragrance...i think i will stick to the EDP but i love the vintage EDC bottles..i got a gigantic 16oz bottle to collect for my appreciation of shalimar..but i am happy enough with the edp i can stick to that forever..

jenscot
jenscot

classic, special occasion. Not for every day.

luna rebel
luna rebel

I have the EDT version but in the same bottle as pictured on this page. I have a hard time detecting notes in certain fragrances but there is a definite leather, citrus, and powder note in this one. It is a very smoky leather, reminding me of a leather handbag which contains a pack of cigarettes and vintage makeup powder. Overall, a very gorgeous fragrance. It is pleasant, warm, and a compliment getter. I bought the EDT thinking the EDP may be too harsh, but to me the EDT is not as strong as I wanted to be so I may definitely get the EDP next. It is not a fragrance for everybody. The leather note may come off as a bit harsh and chemical to some. I blind bought after buying Shalimar Initial first, which is similar but lacks the leather element and the warmth of this one. Shalimar is definitely an addictive fragrance if you end up enjoying this type of scent, which I certainly do.

WhiteFlowerGirl
WhiteFlowerGirl

Shalimar Eau de Cologne is definitely Shalimar.

The dry down is softer in my opinion than the EDT and EDP and the longevity on my skin is fantastic! Impressed.

A Fabulous Autumn / Winter, day time scent.

Chicagobelle
Chicagobelle

Big thanks to a fellow Fragrantica member for sending me a sample of this lovely fragrance. What a treat! This perfume is absolutely beautiful! Man oh man, it instantly took my breath away. This perfume is what I would describe as a "game changer" fragrance for me. It opened up my senses to smell something different and more lovely than the usual. It's sophisticated sweet treat of a perfume with a well defined vanilla note. Words can't describe how incredibly beautiful, inviting, sophisticated and smooth this perfume is. I absolutely love it; this is a must have!

alpestremonte
alpestremonte

I'm new to Shalimar and the EDC is my first rendition. And I already love it!

It may sound stupid, but it's as if my skin is alive and talking to me all the time. I feel like I'm part of a crème brûlée, immersed in vanilla with hints of lemon and smokiness, and always caressing a nice leather suit in such a synesthetic feeling that keeps me in the most happy mood...

Already addicted!

Eos
Eos

This is a beautiful interpretation of Shalimar. I tested a vintage EDC with a production date prior to 1973. To my nose, this formulation is a drier version than the vintage EDT, vintage EDP and also the current formulation EDP. In this version the incense and sandalwood are very pronounced, the bergamot is crisper, the leather softer, the vanilla and iris less present. While beautiful, this is definitely an EDC concentration and it only lasted about 2 hours on my skin. I will treasure my vintage sample but I will not be tracking down a full bottle anytime soon. Thanks so much to the kind Fragrantican who gave me the chance to try this out. <3

smoothshoperator
smoothshoperator

I absolutely used to hate Shalimar, but as I get older, I guess my taste is changing. I am 34 now. My mom always used to rave about this, but when I was younger and would go to smell this on her dresser, I would think what does she see in this??? But now, I just love the smell from start to finish. Rich, sexy vanilla with soft fruity lemon and leather (enough to make it sexy). I have not tried the perfume, but I like the lightness of this colgne spray. I have yet to hear what my husband thinks about this one, but for me, it is a new favorite during these colder months to come especially. Shalimar is a classic masterpiece. Glad I have seen the light.

miss mills
miss mills

I just bought a bottle of this (the LAST bottle in the sale!) for a discounted price and am very happy with it. This has a more intensive smoky blast to my nose than my edp Shalimar, which seems heavier on the vanilla. The leather shines through the lemon & herb components beautifully and really zings. This has less of the powdery component. Yum.

The only thing is, on my skin, I have already used about 5 sprays in an hour as it seems to disappear too quickly for my liking. I think the edp agrees more with my skin's acidity levels and clings more with only one spray, as it was probably intended. That said, this bottle will soon be empty, it is SO beautiful. I cannot say enough how much I love leather, incense and that smoky (benzoin/vetiver?) combo.

It it simply unique in the sea of sweet and fruity frags out there today. Not that I have anything against them, I just like something a little darker, with an edge.

Hollyberri
Hollyberri

I have the vintage formulation and it is just so beautiful. I did have a newer version of the edc but there was a sharpness to it, this is smooth, smokey and wonderful.

cinnamonswirl
cinnamonswirl

This is my favorite concentration of Shalimar. I find the EDP and EDT too strong, especially the initial citrus blast. I love this most in the drydown, after an hour or so. It decomes a soft, smoky incense vanilla. Very romantic and comforting.

TillyWave
TillyWave

For all the people out there who have a hard time with other concentrations of Shalimar, but still want to like it--please give this one a spray! I personally do not get along with the EDP at all.

Anyway, this is it--Guerlain's signature citrus top notes, warming up with a whirl of leather, powder and smoke in the heart. Then the wonderful fabulous drydown. Sandalwood, the real deal, I don't know how they create it anymore, since you can't get Indian sandalwood, but it smells appropriately creamy and satisfying. That and vanilla, vetiver, and incense. The EDC is mostly drydown, so if you like that combination, this is for you.

Lasts nicely about 4-6 hours, wears like a skin scent, affordable, a beautiful Shalimar. I can't believe it only has 6 reviews.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

At Long Last ~ I possess a bottle of this ethereal magic. As Yourfoxiness states, " I absolutely love this incarnation of Shalimar..." Couldn't have said it better, luv!

Now I don't really have anything against the edt formulation ( apart from my odd sensation that it's bottle looks uneasily topheavy ), just a huge appreciation for THIS one.

Hats off to the layout here at Fragrantica that has categorized the edc apart from the edt, as there really is a ( subtle ) difference. Some of us will notice this more than others due to the vagaries of personal chemistry --- but it's there.

If you look at the note bars at the top, they are a Good representation of just what the differences are. My nose appreciates the slight spiciness in this more than the slightly rubber scent of the edt. I am currently wearing the edt on my right arm and edc on the left. Ahh! The edc lingered less on the rubber - like opening note and went for the heart. A very warm and happy heart. The edt took longer, but it's there now after an hour or so, and very nice it is. But.. somehow this is a trifle less warm and happy on my skin ~ cooler, perhaps. And the spicy quality is almost absent.

I frankly do not generally invest in more expensive scents, as they seldom satisty the way my favorite drugstore beauties do. THIS ONE is worth the money!!

Emeraude is not a substitute for Shalimar IMHO, just in the same general fragrance family. It would be hard for me to choose between them if I had to pick just one to own. Very Hard!

To sum up, you could easily try this out by getting it at your local Walmart or Walgreens. Both have great return policies, so it's no - risk. The 2.5 oz bottle of edc costs between 45 to 48 dollars in my area, a decent luxury that even a penny pincher can save towards - or return if it just isn't your thing.

But I'd rather have one bottle of this than about a hundred mochas or Starbuck specials......

WOW

dioradddict
dioradddict

this is a masterpiece of all times... a burst of smoky leather scent and then dries down on a soft powdery vanilla... reminds me of very good times in my childhood, travelling in europe, and I still love to use this nowadays. love love love this eau de cologne version of shalimar <3

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

The vintage Eau de Cologne is only surpassed by the vintage extrait. Even the modern Shalimar Eau de Cologne is positively wonderful.

nero77
nero77

It opens the same way as Shalimar (btw the only Shalimar variation I have tried other than is the Eau de Parfum). This Eau de Cologne is pretty much identical in composition but not as dominant in both projection and longevity as the EDP. It is as though all the "loud" notes which people associate with the EDP (bitter vanilla, harsh cirtus opening, incense aroma) have been "turned down" on this one. That being said, I still find it both wonderful and unique in it's own right. It can be said that those who were "turned off" by the stronger, original Shalimar (and who all thought it was "unwearable") might want to give this a try. It won't overwhelm the people around you and it will still keep the same feel and vibe of the original.

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

I was so excited to smell this when I saw it at the mall since I have read it in a paperback when I was still a teenager. The first blast was strong and I didn't care so much about it---I thought it smelled like an antique cabinet. (I meant that in a good way.)

After a few minutes, it turned into this most complex mix of leather and vanilla on my wrist. It was amazing. Now, I have nothing but praises for this fragrance.

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

Shalimar Eau De Cologne is the first incarnation on Salimar that I have found any pleasure in. It is very smoky, instead of the normal powdery mess that equals Shalimar, this instead gives me a Smokey incense, rich vanilla, exotic resins, leather.. its a little more modern feeling I think. its hard go explain. perhaps slightly more minimalistic. I absolutely love this incarnation of Shalimar, it took me to a magical, exotic place in the unbearable heat, and blossomed in it all day. in the high temps, it became truly exultant, and felt very langorous, sensual, refined, and exotic. I enjoyed the scent in the air, and so did those around me. Truly beautiful. sensuous, like a veiled dancer casting her magic.

Shalimar Eau De Cologne by Guerlain 4.41 out of 5 based on 167 ratings and 27 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Shalimar Eau De Cologne fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Shalimar Eau De Cologne, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Shalimar Eau De Cologne by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Shalimar Eau De Cologne by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.