Designers » F-H » Oriental Vanilla « Groups

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Guerlain for women

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Guerlain for women
dislike

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Guerlain for women Pictures

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille is the new Guerlain limited edition of the famous "Orient Queen" Shalimar, created for the Christmas season of 2010. The nose of the composition is Thierry Wasser, and the bottle is designed by Jade Jagger, the daughter of the rockstar Mick Jagger. This unique composition contains two kinds of vanilla, Mayotte and Madagascar vanilla.

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille is available as 50 ml EDP.

Vanille Resin Spices

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la route de Madagascar

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Fragrance Reviews

Pepperflower
Pepperflower

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Starts off bright almost sparkling, then smooths, warms, becoming sweeter. I find this wears closer to the body and lasts quite long. First spray is bright with a bit of citrus, powder, vanilla warping shapes and forms, and licorice? But not at all dark. The top notes settle and vanilla takes on the form of being thicker, a bit boozy, and very sweet, along with warm and glowing amber, and with even more powder. There is some spice/smoke but much less when compared to the original. With time, the vanilla becomes stronger and sweeter with deep warm amber still glowing. When you think there was no vanilla left, it keeps giving and could drown you in it. This becomes really gourmand-like at times, but ever changing like the weather.

I imagine Ode a la Vanille as the weather in the Shalimar temple. It being mid-afternoon outisde. A bright beautiful day, a few clouds, Strong rays of golden sunlight shine on the temple. On this day, the incense and spices are put out and away, but there is still a trace left in the air. The day wans, the sun is setting, the sunlight is still fighting to shine, and actually becomes more vividly golden even behind clouds. The Shalimar temple and everything around is cast in gold. An outline of shalimar is seen against the sun as it sets further down.

I so enjoy and appreciate this Shalimar Ode a la Vanille and so thankful to one of my best friends who gifted this to me.

Nirhtuc
Nirhtuc

Not really a good perfume to wear on this already 'spicy' skin. It just comes out all musty and synthetic, like a skeleton hiding out in some long-dead ancestor's closet! Not much vanilla, and too much heady spices. I only got a 1mL sample, and I'm glad I did.

majestic mammy
majestic mammy

Love this. Its very much appropriate any day, any occasion, any place. Its soft, attractive and its a subtle Shalimar. Its a favorite.

Smells like a mild version of the original.

anettelove
anettelove

I love this. On my skin, on first application I get this deep, creamy vanilla, and amber. Once it dries down the sweet vanilla comes out more, and smooths everything out. I love it. Very sensuous. An interesting mix of smells. I personally think the notes list is a bit useless at describing what this actually smells like. Shalimar Ode a la Vanille is warm and wonderful. It's all got the magic you would want in this collective edition!

antfarm
antfarm

This smells like Shalimar EDP only with less strength and lasting power.

I was expecting some sort of ode to vanilla or emphasis on it, but I didn't detect anything of the sort. This was just regular Shalimar neutered with its sexy growl missing. Also, this lasted poorly on my skin--even less time than the EDT or cologne formulations of the original.

This is difficult to get ahold of, so I'm almost relieved I wasn't impressed.

Blimunda
Blimunda

This is compromise version for all those who consider Shalimar too sharp, animalistic or strong. This edition is released of all the previously mentioned characteristics, so no sour citrus notes, no hard spices, no civet, just soft Shalimar sandalwood base topped with sweet and warm vanilla cover. However, it still maintained the old good longevity power and sillage. This is just divine and delicious.

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

Yesterday I got my bottle of "Sur la Route de Madagaskar", as it is a limited edition and being a Shalimar afficionada I simply could not resist.

The bad news first :
I found the bottle dissappointing in the way it should be altered a bit as it is not the regular EdP and should hence not be the same bottle with just some more letters on. Besides, they made such a fuzz about the outer packaging...well. Just my opinion on that.

The good news :
Delicious perfume and 100% suitable for those in love with vanilla and/or Shalimar EdP. My nose did not detect much difference, just the expected emphasis on a medium-sweet and slightly tobacco-infused vanilla.
In the very beginning there is the same citrussy start-off as I knew it from my EdP.
As I already love my regular EdP as a creme brulée treat I have fallen in love this limited edition as well.

Whoever does not like the regular Shalimar will most likely not like this one either as it includes the main characteristics of its big sister.

Too bad it is available only with extra efforts : I had to place an order with my preferred perfume boutique in town and even though they sell the regular Guerlain scents she only got this one bottle in her order and did not offer other bottles of Ode à la Vanille in her store. Strange, it seems you need to have a "special license" to sell it. The marketing seems incredibly strange with Guerlain.

Nevertheless - my overall result : nice, nice, nice one !

Timetoski
Timetoski

Found this, regarding the differences between the 2010 and 2012 relaunch:

The Route de Madagascar (2012) opens with a sharper, brighter lemon note, it is a tad sweeter as it develops, creamier, a bit more gourmand, it is softer, less smoky and less leathery. But we are talking nuances here. The differences are not dramatic, but noticeable.
Deep, smoky, with a feeling of “noir” (REAL noir, dear Chanel!) and the accent on the basenotes, Madagascar is truly bewitching.

Upon spraying we are hit with the familiar bergamot-lemon-cream opening, which is very sweet and almost reminiscent of Eau de Shalimar, the lighter, summery version of Shalimar. It dissipates after a while to showcase a smoky vanilla-leather in a big way. That is a kind of preview of things to come in the drydown. The sillage is very big at the beginning, but after half an hour it shrinks back (to my relief actually, I will remember to spray this on a good while before I have to leave the house!) to more comfortable levels. Now the floral heart becomes apparent, always with an undercurrent of dry patchouli, smoky leather and sweet benzoin.

Wrapping this arrangement like a soft, but warm cashmere throw, is the vanilla. Dark, spicy and nuanced, this is far from your run of the mill sweet ‘n happy vanilla. It is complex and alluring, it shows depth and sensuality, but it still manages to be roll-your-eyes-back-and-curl-your-toes delicious.

I was hoping this could be a Shalimar I could wear. A friend wears the original and it's an incredible vanilla incense on her. On me, it's a mess. This started the same, going on a horrid sticky vanilla, with acidic, medicinal lemon and harsh strong synthetic civet. In half an hour it dried to the delicious vanilla incense I was hoping for! Annnnndddd....faded back down to the sticky horrible bug-repellant and vanilla it started with. Sad.

Norgirl
Norgirl

This to me is a sligthly more smokey and liquereboozy take one the Original edp shalimar
The name Ode de vanille made me think this would be more strong on the Vanilla note then the original. but to me it is not that different on this note from the original .. this has a slightly more spicy note to it aswell.. The original is a little bit more powdery citrusy then this ..
This is more off a night time queen . a woman shure off here self whit somthing strong in here glas , ready to seduce whom ever she set here eyes one..
(i would say that this is a bit more seducing then the Orignal)
A beautiful fragrance , maybe more suitable for autumn and winter then summer . the original has the Citrus feal to brigthen it up . this one has a warmer more confy feal to it

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

Being part oriental, I was always going to be attracted to this one. I remember the first time I tried it at the department store, I initially felt let down by the citrus affront, then after 20-30mins of walking about I picked up the changed, it warmed into a more sensual and pleasant vanillery woody scent with a twist. It's stylish yet mysterious and sensual. It stayed on my skin practically the whole day. Where does it take me? To the interior of a beautiful blue ship sailing on the south-east orient, where I'm a kimono-clad princess resting on a bed of cream silk sheets, burning incense and eating delicious vanilla icecream :)

I find this to be SO much more wearable than the original Shalimar, which smells far too medicinal to me. Everyone fawns over the "leather," but to me it smells like raw hide; it all makes me downright queasy. Ode de la Vanille lives up to its name. It's Shalimar smothered with heaps of creamy vanilla, which completely drowns out any of the original's nausea-inducing qualities. This is one Shalimar I wish I could own!

yes, i agree it is smokey and boozy, but also warm and cozy. i had the pleasure of trying this one, but i don't own it....yet. i'm hoping to one day have this gorgeous bottle with its soft vanilla and spicy scented goodness sitting on my dresser in a place of honor. this is just so rich and lovely. i fell for it at first sniff.

i just want to add... i don't get any kind of tobacco product scent from this. thats not the type of smokey goodness i'm getting from this and i'm really glad that i don't.

nickyf68
nickyf68

sounds like a fragrance id like..could someone let me know if you can still get hold of it...and where ??
thanks :)

tigerhearted
tigerhearted

I could swear that I can smell something smokey and boozy in this.

As a matter of fact... When my hubby and I were first dating, he used to smoke a pipe of tobacco out on the porch occasionally. Unfortunately my lungs were very sensitive from a case of pneumonia, so he had to stop, because even the lingering scent on his clothes would irritate my lungs.

Ode de Vanille smells to me exactly like that sweet, smokey, smooth, vanilla-y scent that used to linger on his clothes and in his beard after he smoked some pipe tobacco.

I don't think this is something I would personally wear, as it's not quite my style, but it's wonderful to get a whiff of and enjoy the scent from time to time. Might just go sneak a dab onto the hubby and see how it smells on him.

ETA: Asked my hubby what kind of tobacco he used to get, he says it was unflavored cavendish.

Had him smell my wrist, and he agreed it smelled like his pipe tobacco.

Then I dabbed some on him and....it smells nothing at all like how it smells on me! Doesn't smell anything like pipe tobacco. I got a blast of strong resins and spices, no vanilla on him at all.

Skin chemistry is an intriguing and mysterious thing.

Christy2198
Christy2198

I really like the dry down. very vanilla and powdery. but before it dries down I get a bit of sweaty gym socks.

Aureliev
Aureliev

La version de Shalimar qui m'a enfin permis de me l'offrir. Je lui trouve une parfaite cohérence et un petit quelque chose de l'extrait dans cette version là. Subtil et terriblement féminin.

BetsyMeszaros
BetsyMeszaros

I love Shalimar and I think this variation is wonderful. As others have stated, it starts out in the beginning being a slightly lighter version of Shalimar but the dry down has more vanilla. I think it would be great for the office as it is a sophisticated fragrance but not so overpowering as to be offensive. My only complaint is it doesn't seem to last on me more then a couple of hours. I see others have the same problem.

VintageLady
VintageLady

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille is a fragrance in harmony with the exotic sweetness of vanilla. Shalimar per se, just Shalimar, is, however, my only option among the whole series of versions of this unique perfume that have been made to date. Perhaps because of the fact that I almost always used its extract form and never a light version of Shalimar.

mseidoom
mseidoom

Nice fragrance. Starts out lemony but not sweet. Then a mixture of iris and vanilla as it settles down. I would recommend that you apply this lightly. Use too much and it will smell medicinal, like the band-aid comments people make about Shalimar. It does get a tad bit masculine later.

mjb28
mjb28

Light and sweet with kind of depth and intensity to me. Very classic with a modern twist, in which vanilla notes warm the fresh burst of citrus aromas. A totally sensual, sophisticated, bewitching fragrance.

nenuphar
nenuphar

Well I am smitten! I am a fan of Shalimar, of Light/Legere and to Eau... So I had to try this one. At first without comparing, it seemed this was identical to reg Shalimar, but the vanilla nuance is there. Those who never liked Shalimar will probably not like this as they are very similar but where reg Shalimar has that waxy/gas note early on (which I love) but sometimes find it too serious for weekends, Ode skips over that note altogether. There is also the standard Shalimar powder notes missing and instead a slightly sweet low boozy (think diet SDV lol) tucked in Ode. Have had it now for a month and just loving Ode - easily wearing it to the office and on weekends and the drydown is sooo delicious much sweeter vanilla. But not petite fille or cupcake vanilla in any way. Will be getting a backup of this one for sure. Did I mention the bottle and box are gorgeous?

guest_steev
guest_steev

I have to disagree with Endymion.
First of all it is not Extrait ,but eau de parfum. The previous version was an ugly no-saying bottle where here the origins of the bottle does make from this creations a modern version bottle. Congratulations to the designer !!

Gojira
Gojira

First off this is Shalimar at the beginning. It takes about an hour for the Vanilla really to kick in. It is not as powdery as original Shalimar. It is well done, but not extraordinary. Its worth it if you really want more Vanilla in the drydown.

Update: This one is really short-lived. The more I have tried the more disappointed I am with it. It almost leaves me feeling cheated.

guest_Evel
guest_Evel

Well Guerlain, i am one of your biggest fans and was really eager to try this new edition of my beloved Shalimar. I ordered 2 bottles. I have to be honest and say i am slightly dissapointed. Top is very lemony, very similar to the Shalimar Light. Its like this for 15 minutes. Then the vanilla appears, not a blast, very well behaved. You definately dont have to be a vanilla fan to like this. You do have to be a Shalimar fan. I did a side by side test of this one and the new EDP, very similar. In fact, i prefer the regular EDP ( is this also reformulated btw or just a new bottle ? )The base is very similar to my nose, the regular EDP is a tad stronger and longlasting on me. Conclusion, nicely done, but i dont find the name very fitting. I had expected the vanilla to be much more prominent. You could say this is the EDP and Shalimar Light combined. Bottle is beautiful. I am very curious to hear your impressions. I will use this with great pleasure, but it does not top my many vintage formulations of this classic lady by any means.

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille by Guerlain 4.36 out of 5 based on 191 ratings and 25 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Shalimar Ode a la Vanille fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Shalimar Ode a la Vanille, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Shalimar Ode a la Vanille by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Shalimar Ode a la Vanille by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.