Designers » F-H » Oriental Vanilla « Groups

dislike

smoky
caramel
Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route du Mexique Guerlain for women Pictures

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route du Mexique by Guerlain is a Oriental Vanilla fragrance for women. Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route du Mexique was launched in 2013. The nose behind this fragrance is Thierry Wasser. The fragrance features caramel, chocolate, incense, iris, opoponax, vanilla and tonka bean.

Caramel Chocolate Incense iris Opoponax Vanilla Tonka Bean

Shalimar
Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la route de Madagascar
Shalimar Indes & Merveilles

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route du Mexique Fragrance Reviews

Perfumeaddict777
Perfumeaddict777

The sample that i received from a wonderful fragrantica member , says that it is this Shalimar. But what I'm smelling is different from these reveiws. To my nose it opens with a delicious lemon and cream pie and leather. After 30 minutes the leather gets stronger and the lemon takes a back seat, i smell oppoponax and vanilla. Finally at the end for the last few hours it smells exactly like Prada amber. Im in love with this fragrance and i hope that i bought this one. I won an eBay auction and so excited for it to get here. When i first started my fragrance journey into less mainstream and more unique perfumes i didn't like the original Shalimar. Time has went on and my nose has grown;) to love heavier,darker,resinous, strange scents. I feel in love with every Shalimar flanker I've tested and now after loving and craving this fragrace i want to revisit the original; i have a feeling i will adore it now! To bad these unique and wondrous scents are discounted:(

freddinos
freddinos

I wholeheartedly agree with the reviewer below mine, who says that you have to at least like Shalimar to enjoy the Mexique version.
To my nose it feels like a lemon-free Shalimar; the powder, the incence, the leather are all here blended in the familiar classic way. It is not gourmand God forbid, and any vanilla that may be here is a understated and elusive.
I can imagine this version working really well on me during a winter evening, going out early yet it's dark, we are at Boysdale's underground jazz bar-restaurant in London, we drink champagne and listen to the music transporting us to another era.
Yes, this Shalimar would be the perfect fragrance for that kind of night. Mysterious, dark, underground, melodic, classic, beautiful. It will smell familiar and evoking, like that jazz piece the trio was playing I couldn't put my finger on.

MissGirly87
MissGirly87

First let me say I am a big fan of Guerlain in general. My favorite perfume ever is Gourmand Coquin, which I think is quite underappreciated.

As someone who does not love Shalimar, legend that it is, I think that you must at least like Shalimar to enjoy this. It is definitely a relative of the original. This in my opinion is less exotic than regular Shalimar and the thing I get the most from this is the incense and opoponax. La Route du Mexique is extremely resinous, smoky, and dark. I don't like it on myself, but the thing about Guerlain is that everything they do is so exquisite that even the perfumes I don't like, I can still admit smell amazing. And that's the case with this one. Smoky/balsamic fans will love this. It is absolutely NOT a gourmand and not even really that sweet, either. Easily unisex. Can still be found on Ebay...

miracleborgtech
miracleborgtech

Shalimar is the framework, but SOalVSlRdM is transformed into an exotic Aztec ceremonial perfume, far from Paris settings! Thanks to my Fragrantica fragrance fairy, I was able to try this in my quest to find Guerlain perfumes that work on my skin. She has amazing taste, and this one is a keeper! I am finally in love with a Guerlain!

This has a sharp bright opening, smells like citrus, although there is no mention of it in the notes. Then you can smell the Shalimar lineage. SOalVSlRdM quickly dries down to a warm, cozy accord, flush with vanilla and a blend of colorful notes like chocolate and caramel. A metamorphosis through incense occurs, that keeps it from being foody. Changes it into a blend that is both familiar and foreign. Incense adds to the warmth, elevates the exotic. The whole is sunny, dynamic, sexy - delightful! Expansive sillage, excellent longevity. Needs a nickname though! Mexi?

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Ode A La Vanille Sur La Route a Mexique or Ode To Vanilla On The Road To Mexico smells exactly like it's moniker. One visualizes a motorcycle road trip from California to Mexico. Along the way you're having a gourmand binge, indulging in spicy food and Mexican desserts heavy on vanilla and chocolate. The vanilla in this fragrance is smoky and dark. It's a black colored vanilla that even has a coffee plant smell. Smells like vanilla flavored coffee. It's hot hot hot..It's similar to the last reformulation of Shalimar in that it has a vanilla accord, but stands out as being the smokiest, hottest darkest vanilla out of all the Shalimars. The caramel and chocolate combination give the gourmand lovers what they want. But because of the incense it's really something more. It's a vanilla on fire. I love it. On my skin it warms up very fast and so I can easily wear this in winter time. Right now in Manhattan it's 30 degrees, it snowed last week and even after drinking a hot coffee I'm still in need of some warmth. Well it might as well be this fragrance that will keep me warm. It's a sexy sultry fragrance, an evening fragrance, a hot date fragrance. If you like all the Shalimar incarnations you'll love this one. This is a gourmand fragrance but it's a spicy gourmand. I would not call this an Oriental fragrance because it lacks Oriental touches like jasmines and sandalwood. This is not Oriental, it's a Mexican fragrance! I love this stuff. I don't know if it's been discontinued. The Shalimar fragrances come and go and they keep making new versions. I wish they didn't have to do that. I've become blase wit the Shalimars. But I'm glad I still have this one and I'm not done with her yet.

BuenaGirl
BuenaGirl

I am little bit heartbroken over this beautiful, beautiful fragrance...I think I am somewhat anosmic to it! :(

I have not had the experience before but have read others' comments on anosmia on fragrantica...I can smell it when I first spray it, and then if I sniff my wrist directly it's there, or I may get little hints wafting up as time passes but it's more as if I have the general knowledge that the perfume is there rather than a dynamic experience with its presence, if that makes sense. :( My nose does not know it!

It's a new bottle for me, and a blind buy based on the wonderful reviews. I do love what I sniff from the bottle, and love the bits that I can grasp on me (SUCH a beautiful vanilla), but they are elusive! I wore it two days in a row and the first day I thought I oversprayed and perhaps wore out my nose, so the second day I only gave maybe three soft sprays (also lower on my body so it would waft up). No difference from day one to day two!

I'll definitely keep working with this beauty (cooler temps, etc) - please think good thoughts for my nose and this fume! :)

shell_bell
shell_bell

At first spritz I was all, "Whoa! What is that? Burnt rubber from a blown out tire?" It was too strong, too spicy, too much incense.

Then I waited patiently and only about a half hour later I was rewarded for my patience with a lessening of the incense and a delicately sweet vanilla courtesy of the caramel with a little chocolate note right there at the drydown. I was looking for a nice incense note and it looks like I've finally found it!

My goodness but this is lovely. It is perfect for this cold weather and might even become my signature autumn fragrance while it's still too warm to wear my winter selections.
I wonder how the compares to the Madagascar which is MUCH harder to find because if they are entirely different then it would be well worth it to add both to my collection. :)

P.S. I layered this lovely with a little Kenzo Elephant and mama mia! I smell perfectly scented with oriental spices! What a beautiful marriage!!

KellyKel
KellyKel

Mmmmm.. smokey vanilla richness You will own the room when you wear this. Rich and sexy. I paired it with Ombre Rose and PA POW!

Scout
Scout

The smoke smell in this is almost too literal to believe. It pops up in the first half hour. Honestly, when I thought how I would describe it, it's this:

"Well, if I ever have a lover that I want to get to the city with for a weekend, but I need an alibi, I will tell my husband that I am going away to the country camping on a retreat with my girlfriends, and I will spray this all over my hair to simulate the act of sitting around a bonfire. One smell of my hair and he will surely know that familiar smoke of wood campfires."

However the smoke fades and yields this caramel vanilla stuff, blowing my cover.

ANNAFRYS
ANNAFRYS

I just purchased it... I cant wait to....wear it...I am in love with all Guerlain Shalimar...this is my house...so I am excited for Mexico...I dream about Madagascar...
Its so addicting ..you try one..and you want more...

Elizete Araujo Moura
Elizete Araujo Moura

like powdery perfume, Shalimar and this has a vintage way!!!

Mona-Jo
Mona-Jo

First off I do not like Shalimar. I've tried to, more than once. I went for this in a blind swap. I thought what the heck. I gave my inside wrist 3 sprays. Omg, this smells like the original. What have I done. Then within a few minutes, there was huge twinkling stars in the day blue sky. Behold my nose the sweet smell of chocolate and the warmth of incense. It's magic.

Fava Beans
Fava Beans

This is my wear-to-work perfume. I adore Shalimar and it really works with my skin chemistry, but it's a bit too sexy-sexy, I think, for the office. This version resembles Shalimar when it first goes on, then quickly tones down to a warm, subtle, soft vanilla. I know that makes it sound boring. And no, it's not a wildly original or challenging scent after it dries down. However, that's in line with what I want for work, and there's definitely more going on than just "vanilla." I say it emphatically does NOT smell like a drugstore cake-batter perfume. There is still a lot of complexity, and it's still, to my nose, on the Shalimar side of the border between oriental and gourmand. Staying power is excellent, too.

BetsyMeszaros
BetsyMeszaros

The last reviewer didn't like this because it was too much like Shalimar. I don't like it because IMHO it is nothing like Shalimar.

It was too sharp on the opening and the vanilla is over the top -- much like the ever so popular drug store and department store fragrances of today. There is nothing mysterious or exotic about this one at all. It is just a typical quite ordinary fragrance with too much vanilla and too much sugar. You can find something like this almost anywhere without looking too hard.

I really wish Guerlain would stop with the Shalimar flankers. If Thierry Wasser doesn't start taking the company in a different direction LVMH will eventually find that Guerlain is no longer considered a luxury brand with cache. But isn't that what Aqua Allegoria is all about? So sad!

archivist
archivist

I've never found a Shalimar that works for me; as much as I love "my" classic Guerlains (VdN and LHB) I can't stand Shalimar or Jicky. I've tried so, so many of the Shalimar spin-offs and flankers, and none of them have sufficed. Because of the mega love for this one onsite, I thought I'd finally found a Shalimar for me, which would be so great... Because (in all honesty) I love the batwing bottles.

Nope. It's still too Shalimar-y.

hsheep
hsheep

I tried this and the original on each wrist. I was surprised how very similar they are, but I noticed slight differences in the dry down.
Shalimar turned into a huge sillage monster, (which I love) with a slightly sweeter vanilla. Compared to Mexique, I might even call the original a little fluffier, poofier, sparkling? Mexique's was warmer, smokier, very smooth - like a smooth brandy or rye (I don't drink those often so I don't know which is actually smoother ;)).
Mexique's sillage wasn't quite as pronounced as the originals it stayed closer to me. I did get more vanilla, but it was indeed a smoked vanilla.

lilalina
lilalina

Lovely balmy vanilla perfume. I'm a fan of the original Shalimar, this is quite similar, although a little bit more modern and still keeping the original classic warm vibe to it. Smells divine.

Vanilla violin
Vanilla violin

I bought this scent last summer and couldn't help noticing it loves warm weather. It opens gloriously, like a peacock opening its tail.
I love the original Shalimar and own it in several concentrations, and while the Initial sisters were good scents but far from the original, this one stays true to the spirit of Shalimar.

On my skin the opening stays true to the original- bitter bergamot, incense and powder, but it dissipates quickly and the dark,dry vanilla kicks in. This is vanilla with teeth. Imagine Aztec sacrifice, Jaguar warriors and magnificent head pieces.
The chocolate is bitter and raw, unsweetened and dry as dust. Yet the composition is not dry in itself, but artfully blended and smooth as silk. Is it held together by santalwood? I detect a faint whisper, then it disappears.

On my skin the original Shalimar is mainly about leather and incense, while the vanilla stays in the background. This version not only amplifies the role of vanilla, it also adds another face to the mysterious empress. She has put on a mask- the face of Coatlicue, the goddess.

Fizzy
Fizzy

Lot of vanilla pods went through a smokehouse and turned back to stay there for a couple of hours…. I smell true vanilla pods, smokiness and caramel. Nothing more, nothing less - pretty sweet, dark and linear. Perfect for the night, an opulent, grown up smell. It has not so much in common with the original Shalimar, IMO.

LisaMari
LisaMari

It's quite musky, tame and sweet - like soft powdery vanilla dusting. There's also a slight plastic doll like note that for me just makes it more feminine and cute.. I don't think its 'old' at all but it is quiet, softly sweet and seductive. It definitely has old-world charm and I could imagine can-can dancers or 1950's pin ups wearing a scent like this.
There is however also an off note in the background that I notice now and then that unfortunately smells a bit like garlic on me but maybe that's just how its reacting with my skin :/ its only faint though and I don't notice it all the time

almondbreakfast

1. Top: less animalic and citrusy than the original
2. Base: more vanillic, almost similar to the original
3. Resemblance to the original EDP: 8.5/10
4. Longevity: 4-5 hours

I prefer Madagaskar as a guy, it's more masculine and you get a constant blast of 'Shalimar vanilla' from the beginning to the end - almost linear, but good. The longevity is actually not good but still it's a beautiful Shalimar flanker. I can't get enough of this.

-AB-

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

(It is hard to review this without referring to the rest of the other Shalimars, but the first paragraph references no other fragrances, in case you are new to the range. The following paragraphs make comparisons with the two most famous other Shalimar scents.)

This starts as a smoky, well-rounded vanilla before pillowy iris and resins emerge with a faint, powdery cocoa note. Although there is definite sweetness right into the lovely drydown, the chocolate and caramel notes do not make this a sticky gourmand; the vanilla retains a peppery, fruity quality, and the smokiness keeps things dry rather than gooey.

In comparison to the original Shalimar, this is gentler. It lacks both the bright citrus opening and the strong animalic notes. It is still smoky, but the vanilla here compliments the smoke, rather than emerging later as it does in the original. For me, this is less masculine (although still a unisex scent) and more passe partout. You could actually wear this one to work, whereas for me, the original is for late nights and ferocious intentions.

In comparison to Parfum Initial, it shares some of the sweetness: the chocolate and caramel notes, although these are far quieter in the Ode. It also has similar middle powdery, fluffy iris florals. However, the Ode is smokier and more grown-up than the sweetie pie Parfum Initial.

If you hate the original Shalimar, this is unlikely to convert you. However, if you like Shalimar's drydown but find the opening too harsh, or if you are looking for a drier, more masculine Parfum Initial, this could be just the trick. This is what I was hoping Chergui would smell like.

Good if: you've been looking for a mysterious vanilla that won't bore you or give you toothache.

Peta22
Peta22

Oh wow! I think my fascination with Guerlain is about to get serious! This is magical!! I ordered it as a blind buy on the strength of it being a 'vanilla' but I didn't expect the beautiful powdery cloud it creates around you! It is divine! I get quite a sharp beginning - almost like a insect repellant but not in a bad way... I guess it's the citrus everyone speaks of! It's not unpleasant but slightly reminiscent of a soft citronella to me. However I find that this passes very quickly then the complexity starts to evolve. It's still citrusy but softer and more floral, then the warmer powder starts to appear and I get the vanilla. As it dry's down it becomes more of an entrancing powdery vanilla. It's immensely pretty and soft. I'd actually tend more towards spicier fragrances but this is just so magical! I have Samsara ordered and on its way (both pure parfum and EdP) as well as miniatures and decants of Mitsouko, Champs Elysses and Nahema pure parfum and a vintage Shalimar EdT miniature... I can't wait for them to all arrive so I can discover more amazing Guerlain fragrances!

mudpach
mudpach

I have a bottle, and I start to wear this season in autumn. Oh, this is great! The first moment is so strange to me, but the drytown is sooo comfortable, warm and soft balsamic. First time I liked it but now I love it.

HanamiTsukimi
HanamiTsukimi

This smells almost identical to the original on me which is both good and bad. It's good in that I enjoy the experience of smelling my way through Shalimar. It's bad in that Shalimar suits me the way water suits a cat.

Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route du Mexique is rich, seductive and exotic. In other words, it's the antithesis of me. Despite the name, the incense comes out more prominently on me than even the vanilla. Leather should be listed in the notes here because it's still present, it's just not as loud and forceful as it is in the original. Like the original, this is very smoky and sensual, a scent for women, not girls.

I enjoy the sweet powderiness of it and sometimes I spray it on just so I can experience its magic in the far dry down, which is when it really seems to agree with my skin. But for the most part, I feel like David when he insisted that he couldn't fight Goliath in a suit of armor, his slingshot would do just fine thank-you-very-much. In this, I feel like a preschooler in high heels and lipstick.

Or to put it another way: This is what I imagine Norma Desmond's mansion smelled like in Sunset Blvd, the airless opulence of glamour no longer compatible with the outside world.

TattooGypsy
TattooGypsy

Oh my! This is superb!
This is definitely Shalimar, but with her bite made just a bit softer and a big dose of beautifully delicious vanilla! The vanilla waftes around me so wonderfully and I do get a bit of chocolate in this too. It makes Shalimar just a bit edible. This is a gorgeous Shalimar!

Elizabby
Elizabby

I wanted to love Shalimar, but on me it is far too smoky and very little else. Nice smoky, like a good quality cigar - but it makes me cough and I can't wear it, not even the Parfum Initial variant.

But Shalimar crossed with vanilla and spices? Yes please! It opens a bit too sharp and citrus for my taste, but if I hold my breath for the first 10 minutes it soon calms down. Then we are into the good bit - vanilla, but not too sweet. Spicy, smoky and complex enough for an older woman (I'm over 40, so I'm not wearing sugary vanillas anymore).

I do need to refresh it if I'm going out in the evening, but I wear this day and night and I love it! I'm on the hunt for all the other Shalimar Vanille flankers.

po
po

Let me start by saying that I truly, really admire Shalimar but despite my conscious efforts I cannot weat it; too smokey, leathery, animalic, diva-esque. Well, maybe someday...

If the above mentioned aspects are what you appreciate in Shalimar you might find Mexique almost unremarkable.

I get a dose of citrus in the opening but it's not piercing, more lemon than bergamot. And quite a bit of incense which calms down towards the drydown. Other than that there are not many surprises; Mexique is mainly Shalimar's base minus the animalic aspects, sprinkled with bitter cocoa powder. I don't get caramel in the traditional creamy way, it's brown sugar just before burning. A gourmand-ish take but wouldn't really call it sweet overall.

Sillage and longevity are lower than the original, it lacks in the head-turning factor but gains in wearability and it's still unmistakably Shalimar. This edition would be great on a chilly fall day.

Edit: Almost a year later I have come to adore the original Shalimar too and believe that Mexique was the stepping stone although it still remains a favourite. To me it smells like mixing the Incense - Citrus of Shalimar and the Cocoa - Iris accord of Dior Homme Intense with a big scoop of fine vanilla ice cream. And that's simply adorable.

boruvka44
boruvka44

This is exactly what I was hoping Parfum Initial would smell like, before it came out (announced as "Shalimar for young ladies" (then instead, they released for me unwearable powdery sweet anise with marshmallow).

The first time I tested Mexico with classical EDP, I was disappointed, because in comparison with the racy EDP I could barely smell it.
The typical striking features of the classic - bitter bergamot, antique dank incense and juicy lemons - were tamed with smooth vanilla.
There really are plum, chocolate or caramel hints - as parts of soft vanilla sweetness.

In my opinion, Shalimar is the king of all perfumes. Mystical, it represents the great ancient world. It's flawless, mature and honorable perfume, a gem.

Mexico smells like the best of the EDP - the dry down. Finer, drier, less "shrill".
Beauty. I call this modern Shalimar.
Looking forward to the India version.

ClaudiaA1
ClaudiaA1

Initially, I thought I smelt something citrusy in the opening. My nose thinks it's the opoponax combined with incense. I can detect the bitter-ish scent of resin, which I find fascinating. Then, in the background - tonka beans and vanilla. There is a powdery vibe to the fragrance, but not distinct enough to say "yes, this is iris". I don't fancy powdery fragrances very much, so I love this version of Shalimar. I find it more sensual and warm.

Jenge
Jenge

I agree 100% with Shoshi's review below. I wore this on my left arm and Shalimar EdT on my right to compare them. To me they were almost identical with the Ode being slightly sharper and more citric, and the original smoother and a more balanced blend.

Unfortunately, I didn't smell any chocolate or caramel, and the vanilla was buried in the incense. I wanted a huge Ode to Vanilla! The longevity was also equal to the EdT.

I have yet to find a Shalimar flanker better than the original, I should probably stop trying!

*sophi*
*sophi*

When Angel met Shalimar then Ode la Vanille Route to Mexique was born...
Realistic, complex scent of vanille, opoponax and cacao...if mixed with dried fruits then you have this limited edition which is generated by Shalimar edp new version (2012)!!!
Great work of Alchemy indeed(Thierry Wasser) .

Nirhtuc
Nirhtuc

Not really a good perfume to wear on this already 'spicy' skin. It just comes out all musty and synthetic, like a skeleton hiding out in some long-dead ancestor's closet! Not much vanilla, and too much heady spices. I only got a 1mL sample, and I'm glad I did.

Shoshi
Shoshi

This smells very similar to the regular Shalimar EDT. Strangely, I smell more lemon/bergamot (even though it's not listed as a note) in the Ode a la Vanilla, not more vanilla. To me, it's a slightly softer, slightly more lemony, version of Shalimar. To be honest, it's almost the same as Shalimar, and it's pleasant. I just like the regular Shalimar better because I like the deeper civet and incense notes.

HausFrau
HausFrau

My grandmother wore Shalimar religiously. I still remember sneaking up to her dressing table in her room and spraying just a tiny drop on my wrist, thinking that she wouldn't notice. I recall feeling so sophisticated and beautiful, so ladylike, just like she was. I can't say that I actually *appreciated* the scent, it was obviously too grown up for me, but I knew I loved how it made me feel. One of the first things I bought with my first paycheck was a tiiiiiiiny bottle of Shalimar, but I still found it hard to wear in public, thinking it gave off the impression that I was in over my head. Fast forward 15 years, and I got a wild hair up my ass and blind bought this bottle the second I heard about it. For a week I panicked, thinking Holy Mother of GOD, I just wasted so much money for a fragrance that's just going to sit there as an ode to my lovely departed Grandmother, that I'll never be able to confidently wear this. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. Either I grew up enough to truly appreciate and WEAR a Shalimar without it wearing me, or this one is kinder and gentler. The vanilla is SO gorgeous and warm, and my skin just eats up the balsamic notes to turn it into something creamy and delicious. This could easily be my signature if I weren't so damn stingy with it. My favorite way to wear it? In stilettos, a lace bra, and seamed thigh highs, in bed in the middle of the day. Sexy doesn't begin to cover this. This is not your grandmother's Shalimar... Or maybe Grandma was more of a vixen than we'd like to imagine!!

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Slightly different version of Shalimar, company keeps making and making more using the same base. It drys into soft powdery very appropriate Shalimar, nice, I like it. But would not buy it, since I have original EDP Shalimar and Initial already, I like them much better.

donimili
donimili

I was never a fan of original Shalimar but this one... I can't get enough of it <3 . It starts with a lemon, some bitter lemon, and afterwards vanilla. And that is all i can smell. But it's beauuuuuutiful. Only thing i do not quite like is that it is short lived :( only few hours, at least on me. I mean, i can still smell it (it's been about 4 hours) only i have to put my wrist right up my nose. You know, like when you'r smelling hand creme. I wish it was stronger for a longer time. I guess this bottle will not last very long, and i was really hoping it will. It smells like some fine vanilla-lemon cake :D

Sweetiekitty
Sweetiekitty

Oh, this is a Shalimar I can get behind! I can't stop sniffing my arm! It is softer in the opening than traditional Shalimar, and I smell cooca. It is simply lovely.

Sher23
Sher23

vanilla, chocolate, caramel, perfect shalimar!

eva.labordus
eva.labordus

Totally agree with Ricky Robarco above.
This could have been my review.
The perfume is nothing special, a bit of a disappointment.

mariotgomez
mariotgomez

My mother would bring back litters of Mexican Vanilla before limitations on were placed on airlines. I remember one time a bottle had leaked into the suitcase. The aroma could be smelt before we saw your luggage on the conveyor belt. It also filled the car and home for days. It's bold, smokey, amazingly complexity had me in a swoon state of mind. Mexico was the birthplace of vanilla until Tahiti and Madagascar have become the large producers of this lovely plant.

From the first sniff of Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route du Mexique (Limited ed. 2013), I was sent back to my childhood and of all the lovely memories vanilla brings up.

Now, one can find this lovely Mexican Vanilla online for cooking or baking. Guerlain Perfumes has created one that you can wear and be in a state of bliss all day.

Yes, it is collection worthy.

sunz
sunz

I was looking for Guerlain Elixir Charnel Gourmand Coquin but they didn't carry it at my country. The promoter asked me to try this one as Shalimar seems to be a bestseller in uts range! I blind buy this perfume without even test it and it didn't fail me..I really love the smell even though the notes started quite heavy but after a while, it smell nice & unique!

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

I find the original Shalimar too leathery for me and I wish the vanilla could have tempered the leather a bit. Thus I was quite excited to try Ode à la Vanille Mexique edition. The vanilla here is indeed stronger, powdery, alluring, and eventually takes over the leather. However, the concotion of these two in this version has a sultry, animalic aspect that is still too much for me. The sillage is moderate on me and the longevity is around 10 hours. This version is more powdery, quieter than the original, and with more vanilla of course. For those who prefer a seductive vanilla.

christianne1
christianne1

This is incredible!! Even people who do not normally like Shalimar might like this. It is a slightly more mellow version of the original without losing the heart of what is Shalimar. The leather note is really downplayed so for people who do not like the leather bite, please try Mexique! Smoke is lighter, too. It is a little sweeter than the original....touch of caramel....less citrus...it is warm and cozy and not quite as overwhelming as the original. I love the original but I think this could be my great Shalimar love. Thank you Verena for allowing me to try this!! I can not recommend this highly enough! What a beauty!

Germany
Germany

I bought this on the Spot , this is the nicest Shalimar version I have ever smelled. Its so pleasant and yummy its out of this world. What it smells like? An edible shalimar. Musky and gourmand with lots of oppanax and vanilla and tonka. I smell more caramel than chocolate , the iris is present like always and keeps it a little powdery and gives it a shalimar feel. In fact it smells a lot like shalimar edt but minus the citrus and the leather plus Mexique is a little sweeter and smoother. Its fantastic. It's the most crowed pleasing Shalimar I have smelled. Can't imagine someone not loving this , I will see if I can get my hands on another bottle. I need to put this on my top shelf. Its a WOW!!!
A special thanks to Via Cafe for suggesting this !

mizz.cindy
mizz.cindy

Ode Mexique was a real surprise to me, because after reading several reviews, I was thinking this would be pretty similar to last years Ode Madagascar. But I've been proven wrong: Ode Mexique is really different.
Mexique starts with a blast of fruits, where both the original Shalimar as well as last years Madagascar start with a big citrus. But the main difference appears after that.
During the dry down I experienced 'Mexy' as a rich vanilla fragrance, chewy and dark, whereas 'Maddy' is more true to the original with her powdery and sexy vanilla.
Personally, Mexique smells more modern and with an inheritance to Spiritueuse Double Vanille or Tonka Imperiale, than to Shalimar. It has the caramel, tonka and the rich vanilla. I don't smell any cocoa, and just a hint of powder. I doubt if I could tell this a Shalimar flanker when tested blindly.
I miss the depth and the dirty sexiness from the original in this, but for a vanilla fragrance this is truly beautiful. It certainly smells like a Guerlain!

AveParfum
AveParfum

Very strange—this perfume starts out smelling like a toilet full of mildew and a little bit of lemon disinfectant. There is something in it that is a real turnoff. It’s musty and uber powdery in a suffocatingly bad way. However, luckily, and like most versions of Shalimar, the perfume evolves into something rather enjoyable. I was surprised to see only iris listed in the notes, because the scent of jasmine wafts up to my nose in the first hour or so. The vanilla/caramel develops nicely and seems creamy enough. I smell no trace of chocolate.

This is not my favorite Shalimar, but I find it easier to wear than the original Shalimar, which never seems to mesh with my chemistry no matter how many times I try to wear it. I like the “original” (albeit reformulated) EDP better for it's decadence and complexity; and none of the other versions of Shalimar that I have sampled seem to rival the gorgeous vanilla incense that is Eau de Shalimar. I own 2 bottles of that beauty! Route du Mexique, if I had to sum it up, seems like an easy-going, simple gourmand, fine for the office. Total opposite of a gourmand like Angel.

ComfyCat
ComfyCat

This years 'Ode a la vanille' is another success of Thierry Wasser I have to say. It differs enough from last years edition to own both of them. Mexique is a little bit fruitier, think of Fleurie de Tahiti from La Maison de la Vanille, this kind of fruity, lovely creamy vanilla, a healthy dose of opoponax and the classical Shalimar duet of powderey soft Iris and Tonka. I do like it a lot, it's less smokey than classic Shalimar and lacks the civet, so if you have issues with them in classic Shalimar, Ode a la vanille Mexique might well work for you. Above all, this one is again a most lovely rendered vanilla, creamy, rich, fruity undertones and dusted with a cloud of fine cocoa powder, I don't get toffee on my skin at all, but a hint of dark, powderd coco.
Perfect for the colder seasons or evening wear, warm, comforting and inviting, I love it as I love Madagscar, too :-)

knit_at_nite
knit_at_nite

Just sampled this thanks to a generous soul and found it lovely. It's smokier in the opening than the previous Ode/Madagascar and buttery, too. Mr. Wasser is doing Guerlain proud, IMO.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I just got this from a friend who brought it back from Paris. I was so excited about this lovely and I feel rather let down. To my nose it's nothing very special. I'm as disappointed as I was with Chanel 1932. It has the Shalimar "signature" but it's more subdued. In fact everything is so subdued the whole perfume smells more like a musty closet than anything else. To me the dominant opening note is opponax and I'm not happy about that. The vanilla is nice but it's overwhelmed by this desert like dryness. This scent smells almost cold to me, not warm like original vintage Shalimar. This is a serious disappointment. It does get better an hour or so into the drydown and continues to improve but it also fades with each hour. This fragrance is timid and takes far too long to smell anything like the gourmand notes listed. This is not at all what I expected. If I want chocolate and vanilla I'm sticking with my Maison de Vanilla scents and the L'Antichambre Chocolat Ambre, now that's a chocolate vanilla to love. Thank goodness it's not a huge bottle and I didn't pay an excessive price for it, but still what a letdown. My little Fragonards that my friend brought me are so much better. Quelle dommage!

Eicher
Eicher

Edit: I have tried Ode a la Vanille two days ago. It's delicious. I love it. It differs though from the original Shalimar. Actually, both are pretty distinctive fragrances. The main note is (of course) vanilla, but not in an overwhelming way. Though the notes of the perfume are strong, Ode a la Vanille is not a heavy fragrance.
I believe that the caramel, the tonka bean and the chocolate are the main accords next to the vanilla. They make the perfume warm and balmy.

Definitely one of my next purchase!

***
It sounds just perfect for vanilla, sweet/oriental fragrance lovers! I must try this one very soon.

So far, Thierry Wasser's creation were just perfect to my taste (Guerlain: Aqua Allegoria Lys Soleia, Flora Nymphea, La Petite Robe Noire, Lancome : Hypnose...).

I am convinced that I won't be disappointed nor that time.