Designers » F-H » Chypre Floral « Groups

Shalimar Parfum Initial Guerlain for women

Shalimar Parfum Initial Guerlain for women Pictures Shalimar Parfum Initial Guerlain for women Pictures Shalimar Parfum Initial Guerlain for women Pictures Shalimar Parfum Initial Guerlain for women Pictures

Shalimar Parfum Initial – scent of desires, joy and sensuality arrives in a flacon which reminds us of shape of the traditional edition. The new bottle is taller and sleeker than the previous. It is decorated with blue stopper and blue tassel on the neck of the flacon. Liquid of the flacon is coloured in warm pink.

Composition of Shalimar Parfum Initial is created of citruses, green notes, flowers, woody accords and oriental scents. Starting from citruses, the composition adds zest of bergamot and orange. Rose flowers and jasmine enjoy embrace of woody accords of vetiver and patchouli, while oriental notes of vanilla, white musk and luscious tonka give seductive warmth to the whole composition. Green notes provide a fresher tone to the composition.

Face of the advertising campaign for the new Shalimar Parfum Initial is Natalia Vodianova, photographed naked. These photos are supposed to represent innocence and chastity of woman's body, new Eve. The photos were taken by Paolo Roversi.

Shalimar Parfum Initial will be available as 40, 60 and 100ml EDP, from March 2011. The nose behind this fragrance is Thierry Wasser.

Bergamot Orange Green Notes

Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau Si Sensuelle

Shalimar Parfum Initial Fragrance Reviews

diamondkite
diamondkite

I tested this today and I do like it - on me this perfume develops distinct raspberry/ cherry undertones. Someone at work asked what the powdery cherry scent was! Powdery, slightly sweet, slightly smokey (tonka) and a touch of tart juiciness that no one else seems to have experienced. Weird. But lovely! I'm definitely more partial to Chanel No.19 Poudre when it comes to the re-interpreted 'classics' but Shalimar Initial is very wearable - pretty but not frou-frou. I might just have to get it.

smalltownbeatnik
smalltownbeatnik

If Shalimar is a grande dame descending a baroque staircase at a ball, Shalimar Parfum Initial is her debutante daughter at her coming-out cotillion.

LadyPilot
LadyPilot

This one is a real masterpiece by Guerlain and it should become a classic for future generations, as its older sister has. SPI depicts current gourmand trends, but in the most graceful and elegant manner. It is sweet but wonderfully powdery and lady-like. It is long-lasing but not overwhelming. It gives you the sense of joy, self-fulfillment, safety and ultra-feminity. And despite its obvious conotations to the classic Shalimar (noticable in the bitter headnotes), it should never be treated as a counterpart/follower/substitute/equivalent/whatever - it is a work of art of its own. Alongside with L'Instant Magic, Shalimar Parfum Initial best defines the beauty of Guerlain in the 21st century.

InfirmièreParfumée
InfirmièreParfumée

As always, I brought home a small tester bottle of this EDP from Nordstrom before deciding to purchase.

Shalimar Parfum Initial lands initially with a warm, nice, and lovely scent on my skin...then it's barely there, before I can truly compare how it is different from my original Shalimar. I was slightly disappointed. I have to bring my wrist almost touching my nostril in order to appreciate the basenotes...and the basenotes are lovely and truly soft and pleasant.

Shalimar Parfum Initial is the day wear version of Shalimar. I will buy this perfume in the long run, as I am repetitiously bringning my wrist to my nose as I finish this review...

3.5 / 5 stars ?

Jerrythecat
Jerrythecat

I am a Shalimar aficionado and this one is a particular one which has not disappointed me. With Shalimar classic you have the Jicky touch that ends evolves towards the famous "guerlinade". With Parfum Initial you have all this in a bottle but also Shalimar Classic, Habit Rouge and Héritage. I simply love it, and like most of all Guerlain's it is high quality French perfumery. The combination of all these scents gives a result which is very similar to Dior Homme and makes Parfum Initial a perfect unisex one, still with this slight similarity to Coco Mademoiselle which adds a feminine touch (not overpowering at all for a man).
In my opinion, I would classify the 2 Shalimar as follows: Parfum Initial is the perfect office day scent and Shalimar classic is more the evening option for the perfect romance, both regardless if you are a man or a woman.
I have read that Guerlain have decided to discontinue it. Please don't! Shalimar is like the Eiffel Tower, the Concorde Square, Notre Dame in Paris. The epitome of class.

Lana148
Lana148

I just want to thank Guerlain for brining Shalimar to 21st century.

I know there are a lot of original Shalimar lovers who hate this version, but I happened to think it's very successful rendition of the original. The original Shalimar was always too heavy and impossible to stomach for me. Shalimar Perfume Initial is so close to it but without the harsh opening.

Thank you so much for this classic and classy perfume! Well done Guerlain!

TattooGypsy
TattooGypsy

I rec'd my bottle of this on Friday and wore it for three days (now conserving for more special days LOL). This is my first experience with any Shalimar, and all I can say is....****LOVE****

I wore this out to the beach, and didn't find it too much at all, so I disagree with those who say it's not a good warm weather scent (I find myself wishing it was a bit more potent actually). It is very light to me, but I'm beginning to think that perfumes tend to evaporate off of me quickly.

I love this from first whiff to dry down! And due to my desire for something a bit more potent, I have blind ordered the original Shalimar EDP and anxiously waiting its arrival! Yes, I've never smelled Shalimar, to my knowledge anyway, *bows head in shame*, so this was my first intro to it, and so far so good! This scent makes me excited about perfume!

auroramaria

Not suitable for summer but amazing in cool weather this is a great fragrance with the sweet!ness of vanilla and caramel and the powdery iris very sensual and feminine sadly discontinued it will ne missed

Juliana6
Juliana6

I've never considered buying any of the Shalimars,thought they were too expensive and too "high" for me. But one evening I watched that wonderful advertisement (La legende de Shalimar) on youtube. I was speechless! It was such a beautiful, symbolic, sophisticated and a bit sad video, just perfectly done, a masterpiece (like the scent itself). And I knew -at least I'll try one (or some) of Shalimars. Sadly I couldn't find it to try and I ordered it blindly (encouraged by that video and the reviews on here -thank you, all!).
On me this perfume is alive -sensual, deliciously feminine, powdery and comforting in a very tempting way. Like you have just escaped from a very serious danger and now you lie down in a sophisticated, oriental boudoir - silky sheets, oriental soft music, an expensive body cream and lipstick on a decorated dressing table, dried, candied fruits and the sensation of peace, safety and eternal love. Some kind of physical, emotional and mental comfort.
An oriental night, filled with sensual vibes and desires, with exquisite scents from different expensive spices and rare plants. The opening is a sweet and spicy oriental fairy tale, decorated with sparkling hints flower hints, then it becomes creamy, gourmand and velvety. Violet (deep,luxurious) and vanilla (adult, dark, rare, expensive) - what a sensual, tempting combination! And the drydown - it makes me think about that man in the ad. I smell something slightly masculine in the drydown, like a naked woman's body next to this man who just has revealed all the oriental magic and all his love to her.
***
If you like Lolita Lempicka, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin or Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef &Arpels, I guess you'll like this one too.

ynde
ynde

As my taste in perfumes has been changing more rapidly and I'm beginning to enjoy deeper notes like spices, incense and leather, I decided to give the original Shalimar a retry. Though I liked it, the strong citrus in the opening was a little off-putting for me, so I'll have to re-test it again later. For now, I'll take some Shamilar Parfum Initial, thank you very much.

A lovely iris that isn't too in-your-face powdery like some others, supported really nicely by the caramel and vanilla combination. Has a vintage feel to it, powdery, sensual, almost something forbidding about it. Whilst the original Shalimar is more sexy in my opinion in a lusty kind of way (the leather note), Parfum Initial still has a hint of that sex appeal, but more in a 'look but don't touch' kind of way.

movs
movs

I took me a long time to fully appreciate this scent.
I bought a big bottle of Parfum Inital on sale about one year ago because I love Shalimar but also because I in general adore these vintage kind of perfumes that smells like makeup powder. It's only lately that I'm beginning to truly enjoy wearing Parfum Initial.

PI has a lot in common with Sahlimar. Like Shalimar there's something in the opening that smells like rubber, which is a part of PI that I’m not so crazy about. I suspect it is the tonka beans that have this effect. Fortunately the rubber note soon transforms into a dusty, slightly smoky leathery kind of note that suits the irises and toffee very well. In stead of Shalimars smoky vanilla dry down, PI is more of a dusty powdery toffee scent with citrusses that give the perfume just a touch of soapy quality.

PI has a stronge vintage vibe and it makes me think of the dressing room of a diva in the golden age of Hollywood. It is a sensual perfume and there’s something intimate about it. I once got a waft of it when I passed by an unknown woman. That waft felt as if I for a short moment got a glimpse of a private part of her life, if that makes any sense.

I’ve heard that Parfum Initial is soon to be discontinued. I still prefer the original Shalimar over PI but PI is unique in its own way and it is a nice alternative to the original.
Such a shame there wasn’t room for both.

In 3 words: DUSTY – VINTAGE - SENSUAL

westernlady
westernlady

Prepare yourself for a very biased review, as this is my signature scent.

After purchasing Shalimar Initial on a whim based on the notes, it took me about a week to warm up to it. It starts out as a very vibrant citrusy fragrance that takes a few minutes to adjust to at first.

As it wears in, the powdery iris and warm sweetness of vanilla, caramel, and tonka bean take over. There is a hint of other flowers, but the iris is strong in this one. I could swear there is a little leather in this fragrance, and I could see how it would fit with both Shalimar and the Cologne version. The remainder of Shalimar Initial has that signature Guerlain vanilla, musky base.

Overall, the smell reminds me of a really gorgeous compact filled with powder next to a classy lipstick. It's like that outfit that makes you feel more confident when you wear it. It has good silage and lasting power, which is why I am sad to see it discontinued.

lesgalaxies

I'm so sad to say after owning this for a couple months, I've lost my interest in this.. maybe my tastes have changed. I'm still new to perfume, and am trying to find "my scent". This just isn't it :/

I do love it, and really want to wear it but whenever I do, I feel.. not myself. It's a beautiful fragrance, but doesn't do it for me. Nearly 100% full bottle of this for swap if anyone is interested. PM me

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

Oh, Thierry Wasser! <3 This is my favourite classic Guerlain, along with the other Shalimar and Jicky. (Mitsouko has an honorable mention.) It almost seems like this treatment of vanilla has been mimicked so many times over now that it has lost its association with originality. Still, pleasant, even if the lasting power is not so strong.

dioraddictfan
dioraddictfan

I have always wanted to like Shalimar (original). I appreciate it as a fragrance lover, but I personally cannot wear it. This came out a few years ago and I fell in love. Finally, a Shalimar I can wear. This is so beautiful, very wearable as I said, its creamy and spicy and just envokes this old glamour feeling. I hear it may be getting discontinued, so I will stock up, I hope it isn't though. It's wonderful.

Yudum
Yudum

This is amazing. It is light, fresh, sweet and creamy all in one. sprayed some on myrist after the shower and I slept like a baby. I wouldnt consider tis sexy like addict or poison but it makes one feel sophisticated. Like your in a airy room with traditional furniture eating cakes and drinking whiskey and someone is pampering you... HAHA thats what it felt like for me.

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

I have read here that this is going to be discontinued, so I became curious about it. I am glad that I got one, and I wish Guerlain would reconsider and let Parfum Initial stay. There is a lot of yumminess in this fragrance! My review won't be as good as others, but just let me say that this one is very well blended, very classy, and it is indeed a shape-shifter, as mentioned by other reviewers. This is not powdery or sugary/cloying, at least on me. The patchouli is very subdued (a relief) but helps with the longevity of this lovely potion. I got a refreshing almost citrusy green burst at the beginning, and then PI settles into the shapeshifting for quite some time, which I love. There is the caramel and vanilla,and also something floral that to me smells like a combination of rose and lily of the valley...I don't know what it is, but this floral note is absolutely beautiful! This is not a weak fragrance, but it is also not a loud diva. It is velvety soft. It fits itself to you, not the other way around! I like it! It does not resemble Shalimar, but it is a lovely creation in its own right and in my humble opinion, deserves its own name without having to sit in Shalimar's shadow. I hope Guerlain will keep it in production. I did see that it is still mentioned on their website.

jana.hullinghorst
jana.hullinghorst

I can't wear shalimar, and probably never will be able to.. too much camphor. SPI however I can wear, I just have to wait about 20 minutes for the bandaid smell to dissipate and then I'm left with beautifully soft caramel and vanilla with iris. Very sophisticated, wonderful during the fall and winter months but can also be worn on cool spring days. I am disappointed that this is discontinued as it truely is a beautiful scent, you just need to be patient :)

warlockss
warlockss

this really has a dior homme intense vibe , unisex for sure . i find this more sweet like a kind of sherbert zesty sweet .

PrincessWillow
PrincessWillow

First spray on me I get a lot of citrus and it's very intense........but after about 20 minutes something wonderful happens.
I get this gorgeous vanilla caramel soft scent that lingers all day!! It's quite divine! :) this is up there with my signature scent Robert Cavalli!! Hard choice now what my favorite is???

viennese pastry
viennese pastry

my sister loves this so much and i love it on her.
i gave it to her right before we watched "only lovers left alive" in cinema.
so it would be very ironic if this fragrance was discontinued.

btw, when i try to find insolence or l'instant, the guerlain hp tells me "We are sorry. The requested page no longer exists." maybe the hp is just confused.

galaxy86
galaxy86

I love this perfume.. On me, it's a very citrus opening and love the luxurious dry down which is exactly like original shalimar... Though I have just sampled it once, I am already lining this one up for my future purchases. But I hear it's been discontinued...:(

MeganD
MeganD

You know when you're at a perfume counter and grab the nearest pretty bottle just because? That's how I got my first experience of Shalimar Parfum Initial. I sprayed it on but wasn't wowed by the really blunt, aggressive opening, so I promptly forgot about it and carried on with my shopping.

As I was trying on clothes and so on, I kept getting whiffs of something delicious. 'Herbal' was the first descriptor that popped into my mind. It took me a while, but eventually I remembered the earlier perfume counter shenanigans.

Oh god, this scent. Straight up lavender on me, but lavender done amazingly well. The vanilla and citrus keeps it youthful, and there's something grassy in there that gives this lovely fresh feeling. It reminds me a lot of my favourite hand cream, Crabtree and Evelyn gardeners' hand therapy. This is what hand therapy would smell like if it was marketed specifically to women rather than being unisex.

Even though it's now winter, I imagine expensive-looking blonde girls (think Carolyn Bessette Kennedy) sipping gin and tonics in a sunny lavender garden when I smell this perfume. When I wear it, I feel like I'm one of those blondes!

Lybarra118
Lybarra118

Let me start by saying that I really like Shalimar Initial.
I received it over the weekend and only tried it once so far. It's already extremely hot here in Texas, so my judgment is based on that alone. I won't try it again until fall/winter. It's a fall/winter wear for sure, so I don't want to ruin the fragrance by testing it during the wrong season.

My first thought upon first spray was, "Oh no, another Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka." I got slapped in the face by black licorice straight away, and I hate black licorice. But luckily, that awful, suffocating baby powder isn't in Shalimar Initial as it is in LL. I get powder, sure, but not baby powder. This powder is more sophisticated.

It's a pretty straight-forward, woody, citrus-y, licorice, spicy scent that somehow manages to be elegant and classy.

I will update my review in the fall/winter.

Update: 5/29/14: I caved and tried again last night. It's still hot outside, but my house was very cold. I still think it's a wonderful perfume, but there's too much of a black licorice scent for me. Black licorice, even the thought of it, turns my stomach.
I'm truly jealous of everyone who can wear this. :-(

Pepperflower
Pepperflower

I really enjoyed Shalimar and I thoroughly enjoyed shalimars younger half sister Initial as well. The First blast was more powdery and lighter, no leather to my nose. But then come the irises and roses which take no prisoners. The flowers are so strong to my nose; perhaps it's because I am more drawn to these notes. Roses are one of my favorite notes in a perfume. The flowers last upon no end. I do get strong vanilla but more powder dusted caramel vanilla rather than spiced and smoked vanilla like the original. The star or star(s) are rose and iris, followed by musky powder and sweet vanilla in the back. I feel like this one is as if someone modernized and did some renovations to the holy and dreamy Shalimar palace. Still beautiful, but different. Shalimar did a wonderful job at winning my heart as a strong vanilla perfume and this one does not fail either to please my rather easy to win rose-y heart. Initial has a lipstick scent like others have mentioned. And so did another perfume that is of my favorites:Bvlgari rose essentillie! Bvlgari rose +Shalimar=Shalimar initial. If I has to pick which one makes me feel the most luxurious: shalimar original. Best one for every day and versatile: initial.

ismellsogood
ismellsogood

hmm uh oh probably the very most expensive blind buy ever. Won't do that again. Learnt my lesson. This is heavy heavy powder- and not Johnsons baby powder it's a lot heavier like a punch of artificial musk. I am so sad.. I am trying to love this - but it is difficult- I may need to be brave and give this one away because it is a wardrobe spray / room spray at the moment- can you believe it...?? smh

I feel embarrassed that I bought this based on a review.

Well It reminds me of the Middle East, I can imagine ladies with veils in Saudi, Dubai or perhaps even Egypt wearing this... it smells expensive and luxurious - Reminds me of walking inside Harrods Department store- clean and expensive smelling.I have never tried or smelt the original Shalimar but if it is anything like this I'd rather not

Maybe my nose will change it's mind someday?

Can anyone recommend what I could layer with it to make it more appealing?

Waltzing Matilda
Waltzing Matilda

Thank you Ambience for the sample. Although it's an interesting fragrance, I'm not a huge fan of the original, and this flanker is another 'meh' from me, sorry.

aleksandar.dragas6
aleksandar.dragas6

I bought this although I am male, I usually don't label perfumes as male or female, if I like it, I'll wear it! This is very deep, sensual and long lasting fragrance, I'm completely in love with it! And yes, it is similar to Dior Homme Intense.

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

Special, interesting, powerful, recognisable, very aromatic and relatively heavy scent with huge projection that attracts attention.
I usually put it for some evening occasions and that's not so often.
I like it very much, wonderful perfume.

Chiaki8
Chiaki8

What can I say? Let's see. I was doing some research on the Internet and I came across Shalimar. I was intrigued by the history behind the scent and I wanted to try it very much. Well, I had to search for a few places before I managed to lay my hands on a tester. There aren't many places here that stock Guerlain, which is considered one of the prestige perfume brands.

Honestly speaking, I was quite disappointed when I tested Shalimar for the very first time. I didn't like what I was smelling. The opening was just too strong and suffocating for me. Given that I've read so many good reviews, I was rather determined to check out both the EDP and EDT versions but nothing caught my attention until I took up Shalimar Parfum Initial for a spritz on my wrist. The opening was beautiful but not to the extent of a must-buy. I went home with much disappointment.

The Shalimar Parfum Initial blossomed on my skin after about an hour. I kept smelling different notes for the rest of my day and it went from being beautiful to being elegant and classy. It's powdery and sweet but not cloying. I knew that I was falling for it when I went online to make my purchase that evening.

I have been waiting eagerly for my parcel to arrive and here it is. It has finally arrived and when I spritzed the magical juice from its aesthetically-designed bottle, I felt like I was in heaven. Okay, that was a bit of an exaggeration. All in all, although the Shalimar Parfum Initial is a flanker, I'd say Thierry Wasser did a fabulous job with it. I love it.

0lga5
0lga5

tried it at the store today, what can I say it is beautiful, classy and well balanced fragrance.

tanzp
tanzp

wow i just got like just now first spray and i thought mmm not a great blind buy , but after it has settled down i really like this its a lovely strong grown up scent , something about it does have a lip stick note kinda weird but over a great perfume for winter , and for 50$ for a gift set a great deal i got

deda147
deda147

Ah, Shalimar Parfum Intitial, how great my love for you is! I'm really fond of your great ancestor and plan to buy her sometime, but for now, you're my weapon of choice.
The opening of PI is bright and and not too sweet. I can smell the caramel and vanilla right away, but on my skin they're tempered by the subtle patchouli/vetiver. The florals come into play an hour after spraying and give a lovely, jammy effect. The drydown is where my love affair started though: it's sensual and dirty. It smells clean, powdery and slightly sweet, but it still has that lovely animalic touch running through it's veins. Lonegevity is great and sillage is moderate. One of the few fumes I might repurchase, in case they reformulate or discontinue it.

darksome
darksome

When you like the overall smell of Initial, but find the bergamot/pungent weed in it too prominent, try out Valentino Uomo. In the drydown it's a calmer, creamier and less sweet version of Initial, it's like finding a flanker of Shalimar that I finally like.

My review for Shalimar Initial:
This is so wrong on me. At the beginning I mostly smell citruses, bergamot and lime. The drydown is very very sweet and powdery. Also a little green, sour, very harsh and bitter. It's very cold (iris) and hot (tonka, vanilla) at the same time, which I find disturbing and inharmonious. I overall adore vanilla, sweet perfumes, and also some with iris (like Dahlia Noir), but mixing those notes together and adding citruses is obviously not my thing.

When I smell Initial, I imagine someone punched me so hard that I fell into a crop of irises, crushing their stems, giving me the sour, sweet, very bitter plant smell, that is so special but unpleasant. At the same time, someone is forcing me to eat too sweet vanilla pudding, sprinkled with marshmallows, caramel and lime. Initial wins for me the grand prize for being the most chaotic smell that I ever met.

But I must indeed, that the iris note in this fragrance is very true, like the purple irises in my grandmas garden that still reminding me on this sophisticated lady. I loved to sniff them, although the smell is very delicate - cold and powdery.

TheCountess
TheCountess

This is beautiful. When I first apply it on my skin, I get a burst of pungent/strong citrus and musk. After that, you get bursts, reminiscent of the original Shalimar. In the end, when you get to the base notes, you have a beautiful, thick, caramel/amber. It's from the same line as Prada Amber and Coco Mademoiselle.

To me, it's a beautiful, seductive perfume that lingers and lasts all day and mingles with the heat of the skin.

tamarababa
tamarababa

I was deeply disappointed about the new fragrance, I find it dull and very light compared to the original scent. But the bottle is a beauty!

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

What IS that lipstick note in this? I love it!

I am a fan of Shalimar, it is my signature and I love most of the flankers especially Eau de Shalimar. When I tried this, I didn't know what to expect really.

It opens up exactly the way Oriens and Coco Mad do on my skin---like orange popsicle. Midway, the caramel shines through and merges beautifully with the powdery-vanilla notes of the classic Shalimar. It is a youngish formula, made even more modern by the light colored juice. However, it definitely has a vintage feel to it especially during the drydown when the lipstick note appears.

The first time I sprayed this, my mom kept asking me if I was wearing TM Angel. So I guess what I smell up close and the cloud around me are very different. I can't choose between this and the classic Shalimar as it is like choosing between watermelon and cucumber---related, but very different.

Sillage is very good. Longevity is amazing too. One spray on the nape at night and I can still smell it 9 am the next day.

lesgalaxies

Powder done right! Warm, light, seriously just perfect... this isn't something I'd recommend to anyone out there who's accustomed only to fruity fragrances. This was a momentary challenge for me, being new to fragrance all together.

I've noticed how quickly I've gravitated towards "mature" scents and this feels right in between the still young, innocent and mature categories. Perfect for those who are drawn to more to classic scents, rather than the modern girly types.

I have two Shalimar samples, one edp and one edc -- this does have a similar silhouette to the original Shalimar, but I don't experience the same depth with this. Powdery iris, warm vanilla and floral notes all blend so not that just one aspect stands out - that slight smokiness, reminiscent of the original Shalimar does make itself known, but in more of a whisper than a shout ;)

To me, this is an everyday kind of scent.. inoffensive, inviting even! Almost flirty in its own way, not an obvious attention grabber. Subtle, charming and refined is how I'd classify this.

anitaoolong
anitaoolong

I'm on the fence about this fragrance. My thoughts so far read more like a weather forecast: early sunshine, then becoming overcast, but staying dry.

The notes initially are citrusy and sunny. Shalimar Parfum Initial opens with a faint licorice note, lively bergamot and hint of almost astringent orange, but then powdery iris arrives, overshadowing most of the other notes. Due to the iris, I find this a bit too powdery for my tastes. The most dominant notes in the long run are iris, vanilla, caramel and tonka.

I get glimpses of the original Shalimar, but I do find Parfum Initial more wearable. It's autumn now, and I'm looking forward to testing over winter. Thanks RhaineClayton for the sample.

VintageViolet_
VintageViolet_

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT THIS HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED!

I feel so sophisticated when I wear this. I feel like I'm wrapped in a dusky pink cashmere sweater, cosy and powdery heaven...

I definitely prefer this to the L'eau version. This is warm and soft whereas L'eau is sharp.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I absolutely love the opening of Parfum Initial, with its dusty iris and authentic vanilla. There's a reflection of Shalimar in the rich bergamot-laced vanilla heart.

Into dry-down though, the patchouli/fudge combo tends to take over a little, becoming reminiscent of a lot of sweet patchouli perfumes out there, but it's all down to personal preference, because this does feel like a very well-made perfume with high quality ingredients - far more, to my mind anyway, than Coco Noir, Coco Mademoiselle or Jasmine Noir.

I compare it to those because this is one of those mass-marketed evening-style perfumes designed to appeal to a 20s to 30s demographic. Patchouli and/or sweet gourmand perfumes sell well, so if you're going for that pool of perfumes, I'd say this is the best of the bunch.

I really do like Parfum Initial for the first half hour, but the dry-down has a lot of fudge, sometimes too sweet, for my nose anyway! The original Shalimar's smoky rich vanilla dry-down still wins the day for me, but I like this

Sillage and longevity perfect

lirael00
lirael00

My friend was at my place when I unwrappped the package where Shalimar was hidden. It was a blind buy so I was really excited to see what I bought. First spritz of this and I've almost thrown the bottle out of my window. It was so strong, sweet and dusty it gave me and my friend a big headache. My friend was making fun out of me, like how stupid can you be to buy something like that without trying it first. I would decsribe the first sniff of this as the smell of dusted shoes that had been put somewhere in the attic and have stayed there for decades.The dusty and too sweet violet is definetly dominant in the beginning, but then after half an hour the scnet totaly changes it becomes more powdery and pleasant and so enjoyable that your nose is definetly blocked if you don't like that smell. Longevity is great too. So, speaking from my experiences with this one, if you're headed out, sprayed this on yourself an hour before you leave, so the smell can develop. Gorgeous fragrance.

WendyMH
WendyMH

Now preparing to be pelted with virtual rotten tomatoes as I speak to the truth of MY experience with Initial. I will start by saying that despite really trying, I have yet to find a perfume from the great house of Guerlain (and I've tried many of the uber-expensive ones as well) that works with my skin and nose. Charmed by the stunning bottle and fact it didn't immediately put me off - I bought. Everytime I wore Initial the image was the same - these unappealing hard gingersnaps that my mother used to buy when I was a child. You had to soak them in milk to be able to eat them.

Dry, harsh. A little dusty. Snootily sweet - which is to say almost sweet, but withholding.

Initial and I flirted (just like with an absence of any other sweets in the house except these disappointing 'cookies' I would still try to quell my sweettooth with them.) But I've passed my bottle on. Ultimately unsatisfying. IMHO.

hedward
hedward

Let me start by saying that there simply aren't words to describe the beauty that is of Shalimar Parfum Initial. This is an olfactory masterpiece - inhalable poetry. Liquid ecstasy, desire in a bottle. A journey to the heart of hearts. The ultimate tribute to the sense of smell. A true achievement of the human race.

Iris is a very hard note to play with but when it's done right.. oh, there is nothing, NOTHING that compares to it. No other note can derive such delicacy and allurement.

I'm very convinced that Mr. Wasser was possessed by an extraterrestial force when he created Parfum Initial.

Smell 10/10 x 2
Longevity / Potency 8/10
Versatility 10/10
Complexity 9/10
x2

Overall score 94/100

Julie Billi

I have it, I wear it & I love it! My friend says that the middle notes, smell like a trunk from the old times that has just been opened! The base notes smell amazigly to her nose & the "old" smell disapears!

ancaan
ancaan

Oh how I wanted to love this fragrance, but I just can't. I admire the ladies who can wear this perfume, but for me is too overwhelming, too aromatic, too...strange. I don't get a headache from perfumes, instead i get some kind of turning my stomach inside out. Without no doubt, it is one of the most unique fragrances i have ever tried. I am not saying it's bad, it's just not for me

Shoshi
Shoshi

I don't really get this one. Shalimar can sometimes be overly powdery and "musty" smelling. (although it has grown on me). But, if anything, Initial is even MORE powdery. I just don't see the point.

Octoberamy
Octoberamy

I bought this last week after reading the reviews and searching several stores for one who carried it. I have had a love/hate relationship with original Shalimar for 25 years. Shalimar is truly an intoxicating, lovely and classic fragrance IF you can get past the Civet (which smells like cat pee) and Ambergris (which is some kind of whale sperm...nuff said). Well, they did it. They took out the nasty and left the wonderful, and they put it in the most beautiful flacon that I have ever seen. I agree with others the opening is a tiny bit harsh or shocking, but then it develops into a heavenly scent which I can actually enjoy all day. Longevity is remarkable. I feel like it remains close to me (low to medium sillage) which is what I want in a perfume, since others may not share my same likes, and I wear it for my own enjoyment.

Irinka Popova

my second 40 ml bottle of SPI arrived yesterday and i keep it 1 day(can you believe?!?!?)unopened till this morning.the best way to start the day!!!and from 2 hours i'm in The fragrance heaven!!!

lyciumchld

I really like this, but over time it appears I'm getting more sensitive to it. The first time I tested it, it disappeared within half an hour. I tested it later on, and it lasted for hours with moderate projection, so I picked up a bottle. Now when I wear it, the first hour is overpowering and induces a mild headache. The dry-down is beautiful, but I find myself reaching for it less and less because of how overwhelming it is to get there. In any case, this is a beauty and incredibly classy. I'll probably wear it anyway and just take Tylenol.

indult
indult

wonderful

shivabglr
shivabglr

This perfume is simply gorgeous.

A couple of minutes after I tried it, I thought I don't need it, coz I have the precious original dior homme intense, and at some point, this perfume smelled so much like that, that mixture of vanilla and iris, but like a lighter version though.

I waited till the very end and it's just amazing. Quite different from dior homme intense for a very long time. DHI ends up powdery, and this one becomes a sensual woody.

I think the sillage isn't that great, and longevity is fine, and they don't beat the masterpiece DHI, but I still added this mysterious gorgeous fragrance to my want list!

It does have that Guerlain DNA, like the undertones of samsara, insolence eau de parfum, and la petite robe noir.

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

So many times, on my many visits to the guerlain counter (hell, why not use the testers to freshen up at lunchtime if I am passing, save my own bottles!) I have passed this by, choosing instead a spray of L'Heure Bleue, Shalimar, L'instant...I had picked up the bottle a few times, sniffed the top (sometimes wrinkling my nose slightly at the slightly prickly aniseed note) and moved on to something else without a second thought.
Then one day I sprayed it onto some card, stuck it in my pocket and went on my way. Later on at home I decided to sniff the card and thought 'hang on a minute - I quite like this'! It had the warm, reassuring drydown of shalimar, but lighter, sweeter, more innocent.
So on my next venture to the guerlain counter (I am beginning to feel like an addict furtively seeking my next hit) I decided to spray this on my forearm.
The initial opening blast is quite potent and to me smells very strongly of anise or something similar. But after a few minutes this mellows into a delightful warm, slightly sweet perfume with moderate silage. The first few minutes are not my favourite, and they make my partner sneeze a lot! But after it settles it really is delightful! Ride out the first ten minutes and you have a winner. In the dry down I can see how this relates to shalimar. It is sweeter, and cleaner and lighter, but undoubtedly related. It lacks the animalic note of shalimar which makes it a lighter fragrance and more suitable for day to day wear. I really like this though. Don't let the top notes or the smell in the bottle put you off, once this is on the skin it really is another lovely guerlain. And another addition to my collection :)

Hellita
Hellita

I see wonderful reviews for this one, so I'm sure you are correct. It's just that from the smell of the cap I'm terrified of this fragrance. Maybe someday I'll dare to try it on, because I don't have high hopes for this one.

fatooma
fatooma

Couldn't tell how much I loved this warm comforting classy scent though it wasn't love from the first sniff !!! I felt it is strong for me but after nearly 20 minutes it developed into something completely different vanillic and creamy Very beautiful and sexy if you are married I am sure your husband will love its fantastic drydown

SayakaP
SayakaP

Seduction in a beautiful bottle.

A perfume and its advertisement sometimes doesn't match, but the Shalimar Perfum Initial ad above is perfect for the scent! It has to be nude. PI is the scent of bare skin of woman.

I cannot wear Shalimar original because of its sharp citrus top. My skin seems to emphasise & hold sharpness of Citrus in general. PI's top is Bergamot & soft Orange. So I can enjoy it :-) I swear there's Anise in it, too.

The Bergamot, Orange & Anise combo never dissapears on my skin. Rather, Powdery Iris & cool Vetiver joins them smoothly.
Then a bit masculine yet well behaving Musk & lovely earthy Patchouli complete the whole story....

This is such a sexy scent.
Not a flirty sort of sexiness. Yeah, young queen seduces her king --- the only one she disires with her entire being --- sort of sexiness. A perfect perfume for going to bed with intention.
I probably get this impression because of its classical composition. PI maybe targets younger ladies, but still has very old world feeling.

I really thank Guerlain for making this version of Shalimar.

Jose Marcos

The plastic/ rubber/new doll smell must be the anisee, which is not listed but it is as strong as Pastis. Plus the florals that is the effect to my nose, but once you say to yourself it's anisee things get clearer and you can appreciate SPI much more.

Nikkiza
Nikkiza

I need some backups ASAP!

lindaberlin
lindaberlin

Ok, yesterday, I received to 1ml samples in the mail. I was soooo excited to try it. Spritzed a bit on my wrist and all I could smell is bad plastic! So I thought, maybe a bad sample. So I sprayed the second one, and again, that nasty bad plastic smell. Washed it off and tried again this morning. Same smell. Where is the beauty everyone is talking about. Did I just get a bad batch sample? All of these people cannot be wrong.

SweetTxGal
SweetTxGal

To best appreciate and enjoy Shalimar Parfum Initial, don't think of it as 'just a flanker'. It's an outstanding fragrance! Original Shalimar is a scent that I've always loved on others, but I absolutely cannot wear it -- it wears me. However, Parfum Initial is a complete delight -- complex, a bit mysterious, and womanly. I keep smelling something heavenly and realize it's me!

seawife
seawife

This is stunning! Classy. Rich. Sexy. Warm.
With the original Shalimar, I just smell talcum powder. This one has a little
more depth to me. More than just powder. It's so beautiful I'm at a loss for words!

Chicagobelle
Chicagobelle

What can I say? Love, love, love. This is a vixen in a bottle. An alluring and sexy feminine scent yet delicate sweet. Excellent staying power on me as well.This is a must try and must have.

Jose Marcos

Some people are very sensitive to jasmim in a way that they perceive it as being somehow fecal. I have sinusites and I cannot stando the smell of some clean products that mix pine and orange/lemon as well, it it the opposite effect for me, instead of a clean house it smells really bad, rotten. And that doesn't change over time, it's been like that for about 20 years or so. In the case of Shalimar there is also a lot of iris, baby powder+jasmim, and the result might be that of yours. But, please, it is not the scent, it is our noses perception of a particular smell. Who on Earth would design that in a perfume? Not even Theirry Mugler ... Thank God Shalimar is absolutely gorgeous to my nose.

Some people also feel the anis note as plastic or rubber.

savitanaraine
savitanaraine

I was hoping to love this but after the top notes fade I start to get this almost fecal scent that just turns me off. Does anyone else get that scent too?

lialu
lialu

Must be one of the best "flankers" ever. I adore it. Softly sensual, grown-up. I have the original Shalimar too, and it's a great classic, but I prefer it for night. Initial works all the time and everywhere. Vintage without the "OLD" feeling.///few months later...July 2014. WELL, ladies and gentlemen. This scent has caused a bit of a hallabaloo here. It is not possible to buy any Guerlain scents in the town where I live (imagine that...) so clearly this scent is basically completely unknown. I have NEVER had so many compliments from men & women about any of the scents I have tried (and ther have been many, many...) I keep'em guessing by saying it's some kind of Guerlain ;-)

milenamp
milenamp

On me, it is like melted plastic and sugar.
I had to wash my hands after this, but unfortunately, it is still here!

HeavyBeatsUK
HeavyBeatsUK

Smells expensive so I wear this whenever I want to feel expensive. Not my favourite perfume because it's not an 80s power fragrance but it's still lovely

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

OMG, it takes a while to get mature enough in perfume sensitivity to be able to understand complexity and beauty of Shalimar. I think I finally got there)))
It is not your girly sweet candy smell, but beautiful and developing and complex and opulent and classy. Among notes I feel patchily, vanilla, powdery notes, the aroma keeps changing. Great one to have and enjoy thanks to a new swap friend from Canada!

henri345que
henri345que

While i do like Shalimar Parfum Initial, i see just a faint link with Shalimar. I think it'd be much better if they had just named it Parfum Initial, cause what it evokes me is an introduction to the sweet and powdery heritage of Guerlain, done in a way that it doesn't scary who is not used with the maison.

At the opening i thought that this would be Dior Homme Cologne after a sex change, cause you get the same citrus and iris combination of the cologne version. After a sparkling fresh citrus opening comes the powdery iris and then a sweet flowery moment. The scent gets sweeter but not gourmand as the times goes by, finishing with a pretty goud coumarinic and musky vanilla.

Altough it does have the vanilla and citrus part, it doesn't evoke shalimar. Shalimar Light and Ode a La Vanille seems better heiress of one of the most famous oriental fragrances of all time. This is a well-done fragrance, but the need of linking it as a flanker of something famous kills part of its charm.

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

I am not a fan of the original Shalimar. On me the scent was just to heavy and not pleasing to my nose. Initial on the other hand is wonderful. I think I can still get a wiff of the original Shalimar in here but it's a less harsh version - toned down and very comfortable. I MUST obtain a full sized bottle of this heavenly juice. If anyone has one to part please message me.

UPDATE: I just got a full size bottle for myself for my birthday and I am completely and utterly thrilled with this heavenly juice. It surprises me as I really shutter at the thought of the original Shalimar on me. This is just absolutely classy, rich and gorgeous. Lovely power without being a knock you down sillage bomb. After it sits on my skin for an hour it takes on even a prettier scent. I think this might have to be my signature fragrance I very well might have found the "one" finally!!!

EvaMG
EvaMG

I finally surrender. This dirty iris-tonka blast of pachouli has won me over. It's skanky in its own way. The earthiness of patchouli and vetiver add to the hoarse texture of tonka bean. An ethereal, disturbing and enjoyable iris.

Deppaholic

Doesn't this bottle remind you of Fred Astaire with a scarf on and then tapering down to his feet. Then when you spray it on, at least myself anyways, you feel like hey I wanna dance with somebody! Hit it Whitney!

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

I so wanted to love this one.

The original Shalimar is just a bit too much for me. I feel overwhelmed by the full-fledged guerlinade in all it's glory. My skin has a tendency to (over)emphasize predominant notes. In the case of the original Shalimar, I found myself suffocated by the combination of vanilla, tonka beans and woods.

So I was hoping to find a more palatable (yes I know, some of you think watered down) version of what I could still perceive as an amazing beauty.

The opening of Shalimar Parfum Initial is a wonderful burst of bergamot with a fabulous barely there vanilla. As it develops, it lets out its elegant and refined rose. Pure beauty at that time.

Then the guerlinade begins swirling around. It starts out fantastic -- my nose is singing hallelujah -- but no, heaven is not meant to be.

Another 10 minutes in the dry down, the bergamot is gone, the rose is left standing somewhat forlorn and the famous vanilla and tonka bean base note accord is taking center stage. Very recognizable, with a whisper of their renowned beauty, yet somehow smelling like a synthetic travesty. My nose keeps on curling.

Both my husband and daughter (pretty good critics, both of them) commented on how they don't like this fragrance on me.

I will give SPA a couple of other chances to prove me wrong, but I have a strong suspicion this will be on my swap list soon.

Julie Billi

I am under a signature perfume reserach for some months now...
I am keep coming and going from this delicious perfume!
To my nose it's not baby powder but more of a woman's make up powder!
So feminine and innocent.... Smelling sexy human skin....
Last time I tried it on a tester I came to the final conclusion that this is gonnna be my new skin and nose companion for the years to come...
You must love the smell of iris, to like this perfume, as to my nose iris and musk are the main notes!

I will use this for autumn and winter and the l' eau fresher version for spring and summer!
Guerlain knows how to make perfumes for sure!!

sunkissedcoral
sunkissedcoral

This was an interesting perfume, but I just couldn't get used to the baby powder note that overpowered the rest of the perfume. I did feel compelled to try it over and over again, because it was just so complex and I couldn't decide whether or not I liked it. I don't know what kept drawing me to it, but now that I'm thinking of it again, I want to smell it. I think I'd get it again since it's such a curious perfume.

Jose Marcos

I agree with Soutty123, and I like this clean child/baby feeling, it makes me feel serene and peaceful. And clean, of course.

Soutty123
Soutty123

A bit too powdery on my skin I think. Reminds me of being a small child, all bathed and creamed and talcum powdered ready for bed! "Strong" was my husband's verdict which I generally find is man-speak for "Not my cup of tea".

fiouu
fiouu

My relationship with PI started off wrong.
It was a MOFO summer day, we were suffering the worst heatwave of 2013 and my now ex boyfriend took me to the movies. I must add that day I wasn't planning on going out because of the HEAT, and I got my roots done, so my scalp itched like hell.
When we got to the mall the power was out, but he already bought the tickets so we went there anyways. I was really mad, like REALLY mad at him, the heat and my itchy scalp.
When the movie finished we went on a perfume smelling spree since he knew that when I'm down or angry, that is one of the things that make everything go away.
He picked this up for sniffing and I thought nothing of it, the opening was too citrusy and I really didn't mind it since it came off as screechy and strong, like old lady scent (N°5 powdery like scent sent me running away for dear life and settled on Feerie by Van Cleef And Arpels). Mind you again, summer, heatwave, no AC, sweet+powdery+heat = ICK NAST.
Time went by, I got Flowerbomb, got comfy with it, we got to know each other, but as time went by, I wished for more wood on it.
So, I started layering Flowerbomb with my dads Guerlain Pour Homme Intense. It satisfied my craving for SWEET and WOOD (delicious Vetiver, by the way).
I kept using that combo for a while, until I noticed that PHI started to overpower Flowerbomb to the extent where I just smelled of Rhubarb and Pachouli (not that I hated it, but it was an instant Dude repeller and I found myself wondering why I stopped picking guys up).
Suddenly one day I grew tired of Flowerbomb and just drifted away to explore other territories (the FB craze lasted me like 2 months, everybody loves it on me, but then again, I NEEDED something more aromatic).
Spring begun, I put away my winter-ish heavy perfumes to rest and went out to buy something fresher for summer, durgh, hate.
Fast forward to this weekend, my brother came back from a trip and asked me to join him on a trip to the mall, I went to the Guerlain counter and asked for Idylle, not actually knowing what to expect (my previous experiences being PHI and LPRN which I HATE, ew). I curiously asked to the SA to spray some of Shalimar PI just for the thrill of it. I ended up getting DKNY Pure A Drop of Rose since I found Idylle to have a weird metal like (blood?) accord which really put me off from buying it, but I'll probably revisit it since it might have been a bottle that went bad.
Again I didn't think much of it, the initial blast of ctirus and candy really put me off, so I was like "meh, I knew this was going to happen".
When I was back at home, I took my glasses out of my purse and LO and behold...when I put my glasses on, yes, this was my dream perfume come true. Powdery but not that much, sweet but not disgusting, woody, aromatic... Mmmm the vetiver. Woody Tonka. It must have been Shalimar PI. Mind you we DON'T have Shalimar OG in our country, just the EDT, so I never actually cared about sniffing it out.
Anywho, after three days I went back and bought a bottle of this wonderful juice. The bottle is just gorgeous, I think they go together perfectly. You expect it to smell Gorgeous.
I must add my skin always brings out the aromatic/woody accords of perfumes (yeah, I practically DROWN in patchouli when I spray MDC), the vetiver in here is just PERFECT, vanilla and tonka give it a "museum furniture scent"... I don't know how to put it, it's just... so cozy, so comfortable, it's like sleeping in a bed made of a really good smelling wood. It embraces you and makes you feel happy.
My mom says this smells old lady-ish, well yeah, it's quite powdery, but this is a great initiation towards more "mature" or grown-up scents.
This is one of those frags that just make you feel happy to be where you are, it doesn't matter when, the fumes will make you smile.
This is MY own first Guerlain and it makes me feel better than my first Chanel or Dior. I'm just amazed, in three days it went from disgust to absolute love.
The key was to give it some time.
I think it makes me whole.

ETA: I seriously think this should be seen as a different scent altogether, it might share the name of a beloved perfume to many, but still, give it a chance. You've might have worn Shalimar your whole life and felt comfortable with it, but there are youngins like me who feel the perfume wears them (Specially great conoctions of perfumery like Shalimar, N°5, Fracas, Opium...) and we actually need this "training bra" fragrances (for example N°5 eau Premiere or some EDT/Fraiche/Cologne versions of perfumes)

lesecretforme
lesecretforme

i actually dont care for it. i got lots of compliments but i just cant put my finger on what i am smelling. there was almost a chapstick smell to it i couldnt cope with. just not for me i guess! love the bottle!

Deppaholic

Wow, A TON of reviews here, and I'm just getting around to trying it. I went to get myself a FB of Lancome LVEB because I loved the sample so much, and wanted a sample of the Legre, but they didn't have it, so I brought that home also. In the meantime as the SA was searching the store for the sample bottle (which we both discussed "walked") The nerve of some people. Thieves, oh well. Anyways, no samples, so I will give my reviews on those on their respective pages. Back to Shalimar Initial. OMG. I used to love the original Shalimar until it started to smell like a bon fire on me, smoke and incense without the mirrors. I even sold off my bottle. And I adore Guerlain, I mean this house knows how to make fragrance. I have so many. My favorite being their Elixirs, but to use a 270.00 perfume everyday is just a bit much. So, I went and bought the other I speak of above. In the meantime, sorry, I digressed. I sprayed this on, and first.....I got that smokey incense bonfire smell. Oh I thought, I can't take this, sadly. Now about 30 minutes into it OMG....it is wonderful. It has more lives to it than a cat. It twists and turns just like a cat weaving in and out of your legs trying to trip you down the stairs! It is grown up, classy, could be worn by the right man too! Well, I'm off to buy myself a bottle of this one too. I find that if a Guerlain works on me, it's a "bingo", and if it misses it's a total death decay loser. So as I love many Guerlain, I also take note that some of them hate me. This one is a beauty. If you find the original Shalimar too smokey, too much.....go ahead and give this one a try.

Jose Marcos

@Scout, wonderful full lentgh review. And for a wonderful scent, too. I also, now, can see/smell the CM feeling. Thanks a lot.

mpbrown
mpbrown

I wish this fragrance had a different name. I adore Shalimar, but to me, they don't have much in common. When I first tried it I wasn't crazy about Initial at all. At the time I couldn't really appreciate it's subtlety, the soft powderiness of the iris, the woodiness of patchouli and vetiver, the delicious gourmand caramel, or that gorgeous, warm Guerlain musky, vanillic dry down. I am so glad that I was offered the opportunity to try this again because I am experiencing it in a whole new light. I have found that sometimes the fragrances that I've not been impressed with after trying them once are those I mysteriously end up falling in love with after I try them again, and I must say that this is holding true for Parfum Initial..... it's soft, warm and sensual and I think this would be a lovely lingerie scent, or worn at night, sprayed in the sheets, in the hair....

lcommisso
lcommisso

This was a blind buy...I have Champs Élysées and have become loyal to the brand. The initial spritz is horrid, as in what did I just buy, crap, I can't return it, oh this is bad. Within 15 minutes, it has become one of my favorite perfumes, ever, beating out Miss Dior, Hermes Eau de Merveilles, and La vie est belle. Stunning, beautiful, and mature (but not classic old lady).

Scout
Scout

Blind buy. I'm in the first 30 minutes and already I had to jump here to declare my love. I am stunned by this. Exceptionally beautiful. Unlike the original Shalimar, which I have to spray and go to sleep then wake to enjoy it because I can only appreciate the vanillic drydown, this is round from the beginning. It is soo sweet yet deep. The "Caramel" (it's more of a thin buttery simple syrup IMO), and is the round "Container" that the other notes are held in. It does not punch you like Prada Candy.
I cannot believe no one here had made the comparison to Miss Dior. The vetiver leaps out on the initial spray and blends into the creamy powdery drying phase. So very much a soft and sensual Miss Dior. Miss Dior is sharp and sweaty. This is soooothing.
The juice felt wet and sticky jumping onto my skin; I get the same sensation with Shalimar.
Ok we're moving into a musty bergamot incense skin scent now. The vetiver and caramel are hanging in the air cloud with the iris, rose, and jasmine. I think the patchouli is mustering up the courage to come forth as the incense. And there's that musk hanging around in between....kind of that fresh sweet smell you get after you've bathed and powdered a baby's butt after a diaper change. (sorry, not sure how else to describe it...)
This is such a contradiction. It's so innocent on one hand but MEANS BUSINESS on the other.
Whatever would I wear with this? Natural fiber, certainly. No synthetic rayon or poly. This needs room to breathe. Likely silk. Yes, soft, lovely silk. Maybe some soft woolies.
Gets my vote.
UPDATE - Hour one the vetiver is coming forth with a sexy masculine vengeance. Reminds me of the original Lagerfeld, one of my all time manly favorites. Sexy sexy. Delicious. Fruity, rough. Outstanding.
UPDATE2 - Now this is caramelly and warm and I wish my arm was a hot caramel macchiato topped with sprinkles and cream. Wow this stuff is fun!!!
UPDATE3 - A vanilla reminiscent of the original Shalimar is finally starting to emerge close to the skin. However this is still very vetiver. If androgeny means gender-neutral, I need a word for this that polygeny - is that a word? It is feminine and soft and sweet and masculine and crisp and sweaty all at once -- all-encompassing not neutral.
Masterpiece, certainly not something I will wear every day, and perhaps not even on an outing occasion. Perhaps a special wearing in casual comfortable clothes on the day of my wedding anniversary with my spouse.
UPDATE4 - Vetiver. Vanilla. Ctruspowdersweet. Vetiver. Vanilla. Vetiver. COCO Mademoiselle! Rose. Powder. Vetiver. Vanilla.

Lily2911
Lily2911

Shalimar is the only perfume of the Guerlain family which I can only adore as a concept and not wear it. First of all, it is signature perfume of my beloved mother in law who passed away a while and who embodied the cliche of Shalimar : a stunning, charismatic lady, extremely charming and beautiful. I got all her perfume extracts and other vintage bottles and although I tried a couple of times, this perfume does not fit, it provides a strange smell and does not last at all, a kind of ghost.
Hence my conviction that I would never wear Shalimar myself, although I admire it as one of the Guerlain"s masterpieces. Today, I got a sample of Shalimar PI and the first seconds I was completely revulsed : just plastic and cloying scent. I was almost disgusted that this was a big fraud by Guerlain but after some minutes, this scent completely evolved into an incredible harmony of flowers and sweetness (but not too sweet). I especially love the dry down, it reminds me a bit to my beloved L"Heure Bleu, there you recongize the Guerlain signature after all. I would consider to buy the PI bottle, it is definitively a better modern flanker which has his place next to the other Guerlain family members. It is the only more modern versions I like, I hate Insolence for instance which was supposed to be the modern version of l'Heure Bleue. I agree with most members, for those who cannot wear the original one, try the PI version, a big chance that this reveal to be the right beautiful match.

ellaquintero
ellaquintero

Very fresh opening, very citrus, I get the orange and even lemon (that's not listed in the notes). As the citrics go away I start to like it more. At this point you start to get the vanilla, but it gets more powdery. When the citrics are all gone you open your way to flowers in such a delicate form and figure... And finally you get the most strong, elegant and delicious vanilla and caramel scent.
Perfect for winter and Holidays.
I love it, but I can't bear to use it regularly. Sometimes I just crave it and spray a little on my wrist, but I'm surely gonna wear this on Christmas days.
----------
I wore this yesterday the whole day... I had the worst headache ALL DAY LONG. I guess I'm not into such heavy scents, it's so sad. I really wanted to like it :(

VJ2
VJ2

I have to say that while I deeply appreciate the Shalimar of old, I have not been able to wear it comfortably. The version I appreciate the most is the EDT. After one whiff I fell in love with this flanker. This flanker has enough of the DNA to be Shalimar worthy but accessible for those of us that can't wear, for whatever reason, the original. Beautifully done, mature and well crafted. An excellent way to introduce a legendary fragrance to a new generation. I have finally found my Shalimar!

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

This was love at first smell for me. I was head over heels in love ,something that does not happen often. I have and love the original Shalimar but find this so much easier to wear.
I find it incredibly warm, soft and feminine. OK some people hate the whole idea of `flankers` but IMO they have done a magnificent job with this one. I am happy to wear this beautiful perfume.

oona noir
oona noir

Love love love!!! I didn't fall for it the first time I wore it, but somewhere along the line I started to CRAVE it. Beautiful, feminine, well blended. Might be the best Fall day scent I own.

sabju
sabju

The top notes are very reminiscent of Shalimar; I see why this is a flanker fragrance, but Shalimar PI is the quieter, younger sister. I have never liked Shalimar, perhaps I associate it with all the elderly women that wore it when I was a child. However, when I visited the nearest fragrance counter, I was pleasantly surprised because Shalimar PI is a more accessible, modern version with a nod to the classic.
I'm not sure that this fragrance will be popular with the younger crowd as it is somewhat powdery and slightly "old lady" smelling at first, but the dry down is lovely with just a trace of modern gourmand trends.
This fragrance is ageless and appropriate for day time as well as night. The warmness lends itself to the winter months, but I wouldn't rule out humid summer nights out while listening to local music outdoors in the Deep South.
Sillage is soft-moderate; longevity is moderate...a mere skin scent on me after 4 hours, but I apply lightly and fragrances do not linger long on my skin.

Migalex
Migalex

It does smell a lot of cinamonish and woody tonka bean. Although I do not find it anything special, I do find it good and I like it much better than the original. Staying power is quite good.

mocou
mocou

This is good work by Guerlain, sure I appreciate the original, but I never really wear it, this is a very wearable (everyday) version of the original, it honors the original, but has it's own feel. I wouldn't say it's the girly, teen, under 25 "silly" version, because it's enjoyable to any woman looking for an elegant, sensual scent, regardless of age.

The opening is rather fresh, but quickly setttles to something more powdery with a hint of rose, until caramel and vanilla kick in for a soft dry down.
Iris and Musk are very noticable to me through out.
Longevity is great and the sillge is just right.

Gabba
Gabba

It's a scent of parisian sophisticated boudoir. It fits perfect especially to elegant and sexy lingerie. And the bottle - I'm in love with it :-)

Irinka Popova

my new addiction!!!i want this frag to be aroun everytime and everywhere!!!on me,on my clothes,in the air!!!with the speed that i use it,i'm afraid that my 40 ml bottle will be finished so sooon...i don't care!!!i need this to feel alive!!!really!!!

Jose Marcos

Why isn't anisseed listed in the pyramid? And no one metions it? It is so strong in the opening that Pastis comes to my mind as quick as ... as ... . I just love this combination of Eau Sauvage+Boucheron pour Homme+Infusion d'Iris+Dior Homme+baby powder from Guerlain. For a tiny second it is all feminine, but soon after that it gets more and more clean and genderless as angels should be. Not weak. No strong either. It won't fill a room but those fortunate ones close to you will feel comfortable, just as the wearer.

Molko
Molko

I tested because I saw this comparison of Dior homme and I'm in love with Dior. Shalimar initial at first doesn't smell like Dior, but very unusual and great fragrance, the dry down possibly similar, but Initial is more raw, Dior is fresher, softer, so much sweeter, has more dept.
Initial is raw powdery scent, also fresh and I feel something weird note (green or bergamot), I don't know what it is. Not like the other feminine scents, maybe masculine slightly or not too modern, so I like it very much, but Dior is a different story for me
update: I tested Dior homme intense 2011, but Shalimar is way better in lasting, Dior smell is so much better and sweeter, but not enough the sillage and lasting...

AnnetteInFrance
AnnetteInFrance

I was looking for a ladies perfume that smelt similar to Dior Homme Intense (which my husband wears and it smells gorgeous). This was OK but dried down very quickly to an insignificant baby powder smell. A bit disappointing.

Chiropeg
Chiropeg

This has a weird play dough or synthetic fruit loop undertone.

Irinka Popova

my new love from GUERLAIN!!!for me this is the perfect autumn scent!

amandaj1024
amandaj1024

I actually got this perfume thinking the "initial" meant "initial formulation" ie vintage. So even though I was completely wrong, it has to be one of the best mistakes I ever made because I absolutely love this stuff. It starts off with a blast of bergamot and citrus which reminds me of Earl Gray tea with lemon. Then I get some light florals, and I'm like you're not only delicious, you're beautiful too! It dries down warm and gentle...soft rose and vanilla and I swear I can detect a hint of sandalwood. It reminds me of an incredibly nice yet wealthy girl at Tiffany's wearing an a-line dress picking out jewelry, or some movie star dubbed "America's Sweetheart" like Anne Hathaway or 1990s Julia Roberts (Kate Middleton fits in this category as well). It is elegant, classy, and soft, yet suitable for everyday wear. This perfume makes me feel beautiful and I absolutely need a full bottle. Can this be my signature scent even though I only own 2ml?

blackw0lfx
blackw0lfx

at first i get this floral, but it kinda smells like an old lady. my mom used to wear shalimar when i was growing up and she would spray herself at least 3 times with it. ugh. so maybe its that, but i dunno it really reminds me of my mom dousing herself. after the floral tones down i get a really creamy vanilla. i would say it is straight up creme brulee. it smells amazing then. there is still some floral and powder coming through, but it really smells different from the usual vanilla i get from a lot of fragrances. there is also this bitter almost putrid note i get, but it doesnt smell bad to me. i would say it smells really rich. definitely a winter fragrance. and definitely for a 30+ yr old. not an everyday fragrance, more of a special event fragrance. maybe a little too strong for everyday work.

my husband thinks this is average.

giola
giola

Definitely not for young people, sensual, a bit too heavy - too vintage for me.

Cerise Noire
Cerise Noire

At first, there's a burst of citrus, but it doesn't last very long. After a couple of hours wearing it, I'm left with a powdery rose/caramel/vanilla scent. I can't say I'm super impressed but I do like this. I feel like I need more time with it though. It's soft, comforting, very wearable.

StopHammertime
StopHammertime

I had a mini of this. I was trying to like it, because it is a VERY loveable fragrance when you first put it on. When I first drop it on my wrist it smells like a perfect blend of vanilla and [though I don't see it listed] some kind of sweet spice like cinnamon. However, that smell only lasts for all of 2 minutes before the overly powdery, boardering on fecal note takes over the whole fragrance. It is just not right for me, I guess, no matter how much I want to love it.

Allinug

I hated this perfume when I bought it the first time and I have written a review about it earlier.

I just don't know what but today I have it again and I love it.

Soft, flowers, vanilla and a little caramel, it's cozy. On me it's more oriental than chypre floral.

tania.sedik
tania.sedik

This perfume is in a beautiful bottle just would look amazing on my dresser (the big size of course;)) I smelled it on the sales associate at Bloomingdales and that told me that I have to have it, it leaves a modern, beautiful and alluring trail which is very unique. I kind of get the smell of rice in it too, which must be the tonka bean. I've hAd quite some time deciding with this one. It's probably now my fab perfume of all time. Hail to Guerlain.

mluckyg
mluckyg

This perfume is like the more you use it, the more you like it, it is an acquired taste. It is warm, seductive and for a grown up woman.

First spray, there is a burst of cold citrus bergamot which last only 5 minutes and then sweet caramel, tonka beans, vanilla, some patchouli, lots of Iris, rose and other flowers blooming in the heart and the drydown.
I smell quality ingredients which are very well blended. This is definitely Chypre Floral fragrance.

I understand why some people call this an old lady perfume as this perfume is very rich, warm, a little bit dusty and quite complex blend.

To me this is quality caramel, vanilla, Iris, rose and tonka bean fragrance.

More suitable for fall and winter.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

Shalimar Parfum Initial
The original Shalimar is one of my signature scents. It’s heady and beautiful and nothing in this world compares to it. I was anxious to try the Parfum Initial because I thought it might be a lighter, fresh version of one of my all-time favorites. I am sorry to say that this didn’t work for me at all. It reminded me of a quote from David Sedaris, “The food was horrible, and there was so little of it!” because the perfume was awful on my skin and it didn’t last at all!

In my imagination, I was ready to stroll through the gardens of Shalimar in the afternoon, with a light sexy perfumed breeze blowing through my hair enveloped by the smell of citrus trees lightly warmed in the sun, but I feel like I’ve traveled there by being trapped in a car with Hunter S. Thompson and Audrey Tautou smoking clove cigarettes and drinking spiced rum straight all night while speeding through the desert.

The boozy vanilla and the smokey wood with the cloves, iris and rose turned this into the ashes of clove cigarettes on my skin. I sampled it three times with the same result each time and this lasted an hour. Then for a quick 30 minutes it became a divine but very faint carmel rose smokey vanilla, but I just couldn’t endure the hour of clove ashes to get there! I might keep this until the winter to see if anything changes, but most likely, I will end up swapping it out. I am so sad that this didn’t work for me. I truly wanted to love it.

magdalena.shiu
magdalena.shiu

I still think this has nothing to do with the original cult of Shalimar, but compared to other flankers, this is not bad. The bottle is beautifully crafted and very chic!

fanny
fanny

For a long long time I have been strolling in the woods, adoring them in the company of spices, amber, incense, benzoin, etc.

Recently I have been gifted a decant of SPI and I find myself in grave danger of becoming ladylike at last.
Soft, intoxicating, alluring and very sweet.
Not too sweet, just adorable.

Along the day it reminded me of Le Bain de Joop!... SPI is more refined of course: no cedar, no sandalwood, no aldehydes.
Matching notes are: vanille, tonka, patchouli, rose, musk, bergamot and jasmin.
Iris, caramel, vetiver, orange, and green notes round this baby up.
The drydown gives soft wafts of vanille and beautiful iris.

I love it.

arrode
arrode

I really wanted to like this, but for some reason with my chemistry this perfume has a weird, fecal undertone. :( It's very disturbing on my skin! The notes look gorgeous, but on my skin it's just a mess. It smells like powder with the undertones of animal fecal mater. Very saddening as I was really hoping to love this. I'm so sad it doesn't work for me. It doesn't seem anyone else has this experience.

Rose Hip
Rose Hip

With me Guerlain is always: love it or hate it. I don't know why because usually when I love a brand I love it (take Chanel for ex, they are highly unlikely to launch anything that I wouldn't like) but Guerain is so diverse. Initial Parfum however is definitely a scent to love. Totally! Not for holiday though, perhaps for an early spring or sunny autumn. An elegant evening out. Or a party in a classy place.

Anywho
Anywho

Shalimar PI is an interesting one. To me it feels like an Echo of Shalimar Original - an echo with less vanilla and sweetness and more musk in it. That's the only way I can describe it. The musk doesn't take over and is nicely blended with the vanilla and the other ingredients. I love it. I love both versions. Each has its place. Shalimar PI has just as much depth and quality about it and exudes the same warmth as Shalimar Original but in a more softer, subtler way which makes it perfect for about any occasion. I would wear PI e.g. in the office, for casual wear, weddings, christenings etc. Shalimar PI gives me the same cuddly and cozy powderiness I get when wearing Benetton Gold Woman. Very wearable and non-offending when used lightly. I find it keeps in character with Shalimar Original the whole way through. Another love affair...

Edit: After a few days on my clothes I get a little whiff of Chanel No. 5. I love it!!!!

notmenoeb
notmenoeb

It only preserves the initial notes faithfully reminding of Shalimar EDP, but the drydown is rather different [which is the purpose of another perfume]. It is a sweet-vanillic scent with slight tonka bean wafts, caramel and a faint bit of incense [which is predominant in the original Shalimar]. If you love oriental [sweet] perfumes with a difference [mind the particular and original Shalimar combo of notes] then this is a must.

jessbug
jessbug

This might be one of those parfumista faux pas things, but I'm not familiar with the original Shalimar. I'm reviewing Parfum Initial purely on its own merit.

First of all, this is lovely. There's a lot of powder, not baby powder, but the type of fragranced dusting powder people in the old days used. This really sweet and innocent powder note is carried by something heavier, something that reminds me a bit of sweet, smokey honey. It never becomes too heavy, though. It actually reminds me slightly of Chanel Chance, PI could be her powdery, more youthful little sister. I prefer PI, partly because Chance is a bit too popular in my country, and several of my family members wear it.

Lovely blind buy :)

EauSensuelle
EauSensuelle

Shalimar Parfum Initial is an extremely well constructed fragrance, and I expected nothing less out of Guerlain. Respectable to the borders, this perfume is a beautiful tribute to the original Shalimar.

A light yet dry citrus grabs the centre stage at the beginning of this fragrance. This citrus is not unlike the citrus we smelt in 1925 and will still cherish and remember. The citrus is unlike that found in Coco Mademoiselle, which is highly polished and diffusive. The citrus in Guerlain's counterpart, however, has a drier, jagged feel which still ends up smelling very posh indeed. While Coco's citrus dissipates quickly, Initial's citrus softly mingles with the other notes. Unique.

The middle approaches with a very loud and prominent iris note. The iris gives this fragrance a certain lipstick-y scent which matches well with the surrounding patchouli and vetiver. A light rose and jasmine pattern weaves its way through the composition and it feels beautiful. A sharp vanilla cuts right through the fragrance and brings back Shalimar memories.

The iris goes as soon as it comes. However, a mishmash of iris and rose keep this fragrance interesting and intriguing. As the base notes approach the fragrance acquires a mellow, vanillic edge, deepening into a veil of forest woods and amber; gently caressed with notes of patchouli and oakmoss just to give it that va-va-voom temperament.

Parfum Initial is indeed a great and unique tribute to Shalimar. I'm dying for a bottle at the moment.

Mrs. Tuberose
Mrs. Tuberose

I love this perfume especially because it works in the desert of Arizona where we have dry skin and perfume just disappears. Not so, Shalimar Initial. I absolutely love this scent. I still love to smell the original Shalimar but don't wear it because it's too heady and old-fashioned for me, and mind you, I'm 62 years old, but I feel young.

Shalimar Initial is a soft, powdery, addicting scent. I gave my original Shalimar to my sister and ordered a big bottle of Shalimar Initial. What a gorgeous bottle. The scent is so soft that I would wear it anytime of the day or year.

chrisuk
chrisuk

At first I thought this is not a great perfume the smell is indistinct and nothing at all like the original. I thought that the sillage wasn't that great and that the whole perfume did not last very long. Every now and again I would try it, not that often as I did not rate it at all, but something happened one of those occasions when you spray a perfume and sometime later you smell it on your wrist and you think now which one was that,it's really very good. Well this was Initial. For me this is based on orange flowers (which I like) it's sweet but very pretty, fresh but not in the citrus lemon way, in a fresh warm way that probably does not make sense. Patchouli is in this but thank goodness it's way in the background. Caramel well that will be the sweetness I don't like the idea of caramel in perfume but here it works it's not over done. I can see a resemblance to La Vie Est Belle but there is a lot less patchouli and caramel more flowers musk and a bit of powder in Initial. It is a smoother fragrance prettier, I think it is a superior fragrance. The suggestion might be that this is aimed at the young but why would only the young want to smell this good I don't get it. This is for everyone whatever their age. I see it working during the day in the spring, summer, autumn but also I think it work really well on a summer evening. The bottle is beautiful, not that I think the packaging is important nor do I think the colour of the perfume is important either, it's just fashion, it is the juice that's important not the colour or the bottle IMHO. Beautiful fragrance? I think so. Sillage it's definitely there not a sillage monster but a distinct sillage, longevity average

aiobhan
aiobhan

Initial spray: floral and citrusy, sweet. Very feminine.

Dry down: the powder and iris come through more strongly while the citrus and green floral notes fade.

After a few hours: the scent is warmer, and the powder, vanilla, and iris are the strongest scents, which is typical for me. This is a pretty scent, very light and feminine, good for warm weather.

Shalimar is my signature scent, and while I like Initial, it's not as deep or nuanced as the original. It is lovely though and would be good for people who find the original too strong.

supergirl83221
supergirl83221

Shalimar Parfum Initial is basically taking Shalimar EDC, then add a dash of Angel, bang your head to the wall and violaa! It opens with citrus, vanilla, iris, and spicy leather and an fleeting hint of green note. I get the makings of the Grande Dame prevail in the composition at this stage. That's it. You go further, there is just a shadow of the Shalimar and more of the powdery goodness emerges. If you are looking more for her here in Parfum Initial, you'll be wasting your time. :) I could also pick up liquorice loud and clear later as it develops.

kasiarog
kasiarog

This one was pretty expensive. I think it smells luxurious and classy. It's very powdery, the original Shalimar notes are still detectable. For me, it's a very seductive scent. More appropriate for fall and winter I'd say. For special occasions. It's very long-lasting but the sillage could be better. Definiately not for everyone, try before buying.

ClaireRr
ClaireRr

If you want this but you can't afford it, then I think you could try and smell L'Erbolario "Ibisco" - which is just a little more spicy. I do think they're similar, and L'Erbolario is a summery and cheaper version - very cheap and quite longlasting, too. :)

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

So disappointing for my favorite old friend, my Shalimar. Initial comes on strongly, visits for a bit, chatters voraciously as usual with her sweet notes, then exits almost as quickly as she entered the room. She's pretty, she's sweet to be around, but you cannot depend on her at all. She's just too young and innocent, batting her eyes flirtatiously, sweeping her skirts, then running away leaving a trail so faint you hardly remember she's been there.
She is nothing like her older sister. She's pink after all. But then again, no one could ever compare to the original. And no one should ever try to compare, but unfortunately, because of the name, the comparison constantly occurs.
Shalimar Initial to Shalimar Eau de Parfum gives me these analogies: silver jewelry to gold; ponies to thoroughbreds; ponytails to chignons; fields to the moors; pantyhose to garter belts and stockings; pink to a deep burgandy; young lady to a woman. It's the inexperienced younger sister of Shalimar that hasn't yet garnered the worldly knowledge needed to attract the sensual, deeper, basal desires of a Significant Other. She's just too wistful and fleeting.
Initial is beautiful as others have said. I enjoy the delightful fragrance, slightly reminiscent of the original in a more fruitful way to me. But this one lasts no more than an hour on my skin. Try as I might, I cannot get the musk or patchouli or the vanilla from this to settle for me, it simply disappears. I wish it would linger longer. I really do love the fragrance.
Definitely try it a few times at a counter to see how it blends with your own body chemistry.

miss mills
miss mills

I'm a big time Shalimar fan but to me this is not a Shalimar, sorry. It's perhaps Shalimar in its very infancy, super powdery but in a harmless way, not in the true Shalimar leathery animalic powdery, knock em dead way. Sorry, this won't be a popular review, going by how many lovers are out there of this flanker. I'm not hating, this is a very pretty perfume but to me, no way is it in the same family as Shalimar, unless it's the newborn baby darling of the house!

the_blue_cat
the_blue_cat

This is so weird, but I SWEAR this perfume smells just like Dr. Pepper on me! I get absolutely no flowers, nothing powdery, just cherries, almonds, vanilla and a bit of incense in the very background! I always knew that my chmeistry was weird, but I swear I haven't expected that! Smells just like cherry tobacco!! Anyone else get this from Shalimar Initial??

CotswoldKitty
CotswoldKitty

On first application the iris tends to dominate but after approx 30mins it smells amazing. It is not pretty or quirky just incredibly beautiful. If Marilyn Monroe was alive today in her 20's/30's I can imagine her wearing this.

WildDove
WildDove

I'm a Shalimar lover from a way back. Shalimar Initial presents in a beautiful bottle. However in the later drydown a contemporary "animalic" musk accord comes up and ruined the fragrance for me. Unfortunately this particular note is going into a lot of fragrances recently. It's not perceptible at the beginning but sneaks up on you later - ugh!

amaraztavich
amaraztavich

oh my goodness this is just gorgeous. It reminds me of a female version of Dior Homme Intense.

It has an air of freshness... with anise , caramel, and I swear I smell almond, maybe it's the Tonka bean...which I believe is made with tobacco leaves..ok I don't know.. I just know it's a delicious fresh beauty. And the lasting power? oh my goodness... it lasts atleast a full 12 hours or more on me. I am absolutely head over heals in love

And actually.. I just received 'amande scure' and yves nature millenaire.. and this reminds me of both.. just fabulous.. just perfect if you are a Shalimar lover and want a more modern version that is more easily wearable during the warmer months

YES. I'm sniffing right now... it smells to me like a bitter strong almond that is being tamed by vanilla, tobacco, amber, caramel, and being balanced by bergamont jasmine iris...oh just lovely!

Just like amande sucree as it dries down it has this 'new' smell, it's hard to explain. Not a new car smell, but something that I've purchased , I don't know what , but I imagine opening the box and getting part of this delicious smell. This though is definently the stronger of the two, and I do believe I can also detect just a touch of the patchouli

Lasts forever. I'm thinking that my huge 3.4 oz will be around for a while. Excellent value! a little goes a long way

Actually, the best way to describe this would be a very strong version of prada candy

Kiera79
Kiera79

This is a little too powdery on me. I can smell the vanilla and caramel in the background, but the powder overwhelms everything else. It's nice, but not for me.

sharon.ramsey.900
sharon.ramsey.900

a powdery woody scent, nice for a walk in the woods on a winters day :)

auroramaria

T1 I so enjoyed your review!! Your description reflects exactly the way I feel about SPI.
I'm so in love with it and it seems like Shalimar PI loves me back. But yes perhaps it's not for everyone.

T1
T1

The exquisite trailing scent of fairies ... chic little Parisienne pixies at play. This is the most perfect potion of all Midsummer's Night Dreams, an essence to wear to the fires at Beltane. The tender tryst of lovers meeting in the mythical forest smells entirely of this wonderful elixir of evanescent glamours... within the jus lies the initiation of youth - it springs from this single flask into full fledged deities of desire; dancing passions captured in the silvery light of crescent moons. This wonder is a magical potion, and thank the heavens not every barking shrew is able to wear it.

Ariesboy
Ariesboy

DIOR HOMME INTENSE POUR FEMME.

Highly attractive arrangement of notes. Iris in a perfume always adds that powdery charm. it is a bridge to the memories of yesteryear.

Alluring and charming. :)

malchoni
malchoni

Sunlight captured by the warm afternoon! At place, where the nights are hot. :-)
The fragrance is unique on my skin! And I recieve nice compliments from different people, even sometimes from ones who I do not know. It evolves and changes every hour, but continuisly remaining some main notes-powdery, rose, balmy, sweet. But you cannot distinguish them separately, it is a great mix, which you just enjoy. When I am with Shalimar Initial, it is like I have a magical veil, aura around me, which changes the reality and the mood. :-) Longlasting and rememberable. When I feel the odour of Shalimar Initial, I remember the legend and I believe that all the mystery, love and sence of exotic is captured in the gently designed bottle. I believe I can use it anytime and in any season. :-)

hadassa
hadassa

This is a very classy perfume with so many layers.

It is powdery, it is sweet, it is tart, it is green, it is fresh, and nothing is overdone in it. It is versatile, it does not kill you with its dreadfully strong and/or showy character, but it does not mean it lacks one. It does have a character, enticing and inviting. It is one of the perfumes that make people come closer, not just observe from afar.

I like SPI more than the original Shalimar, which I personally find beautiful only on men (yeah), older and very elegant ladies, or someone extremely charismatic (what not many of us are).

Well, these perfumes aren't related to my nose, then why should I compare them.

I am not happy with all the bashing, I just don't get why so many people have been so hostile towards this beautiful perfume. Simply because it shares its name with some old classic perfume, really? Mmmkay... Still don't get it.

Now it will only be sold in some limited number of places and this is sad. I really regret that I have not bought the biggest bottle. This is one of the loveliest powdery scents ever. It smells like skin of a very beautiful woman.

9/10 for me, main characteristics: powdery, fresh, (slightly) sweet, natural, sexy.

dormir6

It's a beautiful powdery iris, so soft but the iris makes it colder, and the caramel accord is not able to make it too sweet, just adds a kind of delicious part to it. For me a little bit sad fragrance. I don't know why, but something about melancholy beside the nice, real, french sophistication. And yeah, it smells like make up and wood carving.
Wearing it all day, I must say, that it is beautiful, soft-sweet and kind and still strong.

StellaXYH
StellaXYH

I tried it several times and finally decided that it's not for me, at least for now. It's woody and herbal on me. I expected vanilla, tonka beans and caramel to soften it. Unfortunately I can't really detect them on me. At least not enough to bring out the sensual side of the fragrance. I have the same problem with Shalimar, not enough vanilla to support woody and leather notes. So sad.

mrjohn12
mrjohn12

This is such a soft and adorable fragrance. I love Shalimar, but it's a bit much for a 25-yr-old girl. I wanted something I could wear more comfortably; something that could be nice without "making a statement" (it's my Coco Chanel that makes a statement for me) and this is the one.

Don't get me wrong, it's not boring. It's similar to when you spend days doing heavy eye makeup and then decide to go with a natural look. Still nice, still beautiful, not boring (maybe even better), and not va-va-voom. This perfume is beautiful subtlety. It's a small step into a powdery fragrance whereas Shalimar is a dive into it.

It lasts pretty much all day and the sillage isn't immense, but people can smell it when you walk by.

Kysyona
Kysyona

I am rating the modern formulation here since I never manage to win an old sample on ebay ( but I live in hope! :) ) The bottle is prima, and what's in it started with a blast of musk ( read dust ) and settled into a stale vanilla mixed with soda baking powder. The End. If I get hold of a vintage I will update, but so far it's not worth the time I could take describing how disappointing that was.

mariana
mariana

This, oh! Magnificent. The luxurious and smooth drydown! Warm, musky, vanillic... Wait some minutes and it becomes heavenly: Don't forget to let it drydown! The sillage is very impressive as well. A gorgeous relecture of a classical masterpiece. Bravo, Guerlain!

millie1980
millie1980

I tested this one today. It opened with quite a sharp citrus smell, like orange blossom. Then this softened into something very sophisticated and expensive. Unfortunately, after about an hour, I got this really pungent aroma, like smelling salts, which actually made me wince. So sadly this one is a no-no for me.

Ynys
Ynys

I am awaiting my Shalimar sample.............but in the meantime I had a quick spritz on a card in my local Boots of Shalimar Initial.
I apologise now if my language is too strong for this site, but it is truly disgusting. So far I have only been testing niche fragrances and I have never had a negative experience - just a preference or dislike. While I was in Boots I also tried Coco Chanel and I now have a headache and feel slightly sick.
I know now to avoid anything with sweet citrus scents like the bergamot in the Initial and the nasty generic artificial perfumey smell that both exude. Truly awful and so unnatural.
I hated it on the card and I would hate to smell it on someone else especially in a confined space.
Have just had to spray liberally with Volutes and inhale deeply from Eau Lente to clear my head! Imagine breathless Victorian lady with smelling salts ;) !!!
Flippin' 'eck is all I can say. Have no idea why anyone would want to wear this sort of stuff.

anna.glowacka
anna.glowacka

Parfum Inital is a stop point at my way until i will get Shalimar EDP. This way i can prepare myself to enjoy properly top of the mountain :)
PI is very strange, in a good way of course. It starts with very unpleasant plastic - black leather note, it's even hard to describe. If i would test if before i would never decide to buy just because of this repulsing beginning. It takes a while before it becomes wearable.
At the dry down it smells like powdery piece of leather warmed up by sun. My skin just melts with the scent. I get no vanilla nor other notes just that soft leather and iris. I prefer to wear it during warmer days as it becomes more powdery and creamy.Unfortunately this unique scent last very short on my or i want to smell it so much that i can't in fact.

michelle.p.stpierre

Update: It seems Macy's is selling whatever they have on their shelves of Shalimar Parfum Initial, but won't be restocking in the stores (at least not here in Houston). It will continue to be sold online or you can have a store representative get it for you. It is not being discontinued by any means I have been assured, it's just that, and I quote, "the public is not truly aware of what a real parfum is supposed to smell like."

Indeed, they've been thrown these sickening sweet fruitchouli monstrosities, bombs if you will, and told that those were the ultimate form of sophistication and class. Not to mention, stores are trying to appease a fickle market consisting of teenagers and some twenty-somethings, where the merchandise isn't wanted because it's " so 3 seconds ago".

I sincerely hope this doesn't become discontinued because of the bashing this has gotten from those who couldn't judge it on it's merit and absolutely insisted that it's not a Shalimar to the point others, such as myself, won't be able to enjoy it.

Babslady
Babslady

My new love is Shalimar Initial EDP. I feel as if I am cheating on Shalimar...but SI seduced me with her lovely pink colour ,pretty blue tassel and softer scent. I will be spraying my sheets with SI tonight.

den1011
den1011

I'm so torn about this perfume! I tried it at a shop: At first, a piercing and sharp note that I wasn't able to put my finger on (the orange maybe?), and very very intense. Horrible!! Neither my mum nor I liked it. Too spicy. Then, as I got home that piercing note started to fade and a beautiful vanilla took over. Still spicy but in a nice and much softer way. Now, the day after, I'm in love with what's left of the fragrance. It's an absolutely perfect dry down!

EDIT 14/05/13: I love this perfume! I just have to get past the opening. I think I'll be purchasing this one in the future!

Annemarie
Annemarie

I am outside the youthful market at which this fragrance is reportedly aimed, but I do find in SPI a Shalimar I can wear. Try as I might, I find the original Shalimar too plush, too Night at the Opera, for my taste (so far).

The heavy curtain of vanilla in the original Shalimar is lightened here, and through it glints a most beautiful note of iris. I'm delighted that I can smell the iris because vanilla for me is normally a note that smothers just about everything. The original Shalimar is velvet to SPI's silk.

SPI does not shout but sillage and longevity are magnificent. A single spritz on my arm lasts hours and survives a bath, and with my scent eating skin, this is an outstanding result.

All of that said, SPI is more feminine and romantic than I am used to, and so far I have been testing it with spritzes from department store testers. But I have just picked up a pretty little 5 ml mini of SPI on eBay, and I can't wait for it to arrive.

Shtefitza
Shtefitza

I keep trying this pretty juice over and over... I have hard time making my decision. There is a brief bergamot whiff. The Parfum Initial is all about woody sweetness. Somewhat of powdery rose in tha back, makes it very feminine. I keep rechecking listed notes, and fail to find wood in it. I guess this fragrance brings all its powdery sweet notes to exude woodiness from vetiver and patchouli. Very sultry combination. Caramel, vanilla and musk mix to warm up the wood and make it more sensual. Not screaming: young or sweet. Just very wearable reminiscence of Shalimar (which remains, in my mind, a mature evening scent). I am not sure I will be wearing Shalimar Parfum initial. Then again I don't wear Shalimar either. I keep rechecking it. I will return to it and reconsider it in future. Now I am not ready for it, or this is not something that will intrigue me enough. I kept rechecking Mitsouko for last 25 years, not being sure of it, unable to forget it... now I finally bought a bottle... :)

Sorry I left the other one unsigned.

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

For reasons even unknown to myself I have always resisted to even test a flanker of my beloved Shalimar. Until I was in a perfume shop last week and I found myself standing in front of the Guerlain display with "Shalimar Parfum Initial" on prominent display, looking at the familiar shaped bottle I got overcome with a sudden curiosity to smell how badly they imitated a true classic. *Hmmm*

Looking at the above listed notes I am somewhat amazed that SI is on my skin all topsy turvy! I get very little top notes save the jasmine and the iris...on my skin its all middle and base notes. And its divine in its powdery yumminess!

At first spray a shy jasmine holding an iris that is dusting herself with a yummy vanilla note is the first whiff of yum that reaches my nose. Then musk, patchouli and a sultry tonka-bean come out to play and make it even more soft and warm. I get no citric notes and am strangely glad that its nothing like Shalimar; now I get to own two beautifully bottled beauties.

"Shalimar Initial" is a soft and very feminine scent and nothing like her intense namesake. It's a scent that is perfect for office, dates where one is *close* and cuddle time at home. It's a pretty powdery cloud that invites you to inhale and enjoy!

Silage is: a warm and beautiful aura -- Longevity is: 6+ hours (especially on clothes where it lasts and lasts). If you think Shalimar Initial is in any way similar to Shalimar, I can only conclude that you can perish any thoughts that this is a flanker...Instead, accept the notions that this is a beauty all in her own right. Who knew? *note to self...don't dismiss all flankers!*

rachelcerq
rachelcerq

It took me a few wearings to fall for this perfume and appreciate its beauty. When I first sprayed it, I thought it was too candied, and a watery note stuck out to me. But soon, I became addicted. I especially love wearing it at work because it has great lasting power, and it warmed beautifully on my skin. I can smell it all day and it smells heavenly.

I much prefer the tart, vanilla sweetness of Parfum Initial (PI) to the current muddled vanilla of the current formulation of Shalimar classic, but not to the vintage extrait (nothing can ever compare to that). I find the sweetness of PI to be more pure and clean.

Many have summarily shunned PI because it is nothing like the grand-dame of yesteryear's Shalimar. But the truth is, that grand-dame is never coming back. The closest you can get--apart from scavenging ebay for vintage--is Sur la Route de Madagascar. So I recommend trying PI without the expectation of the original, just only an impression of the original, namely powdery vanilla constrained by an edge.

This perfume makes you feel soft, sweet, and feminine. But not in the same way Hanae Mori's Butterfly does, this here has more of an edge to it, to prevent it from becoming a toothache. People near me love this perfume, and so do I. I've got a full bottle plus, from a set, the travel atomizer. Rating: 5/5.

perfumequeen2
perfumequeen2

the initial spritz is nasty!!!strong and nauseating. as the perfume starts to dry down for some reason i smell angel and lolita lempicka which i can tolerate, after that its really soft and feminine. i like it. not for everyday use since u will have to wait a good 20minutes to get that true beautiful scent.

tterekhova
tterekhova

This perfume is nice. At first I thought "this is it". Now after sprinkling 1/5 of a newly purchase bottle in just a week I can't feel it on me.

I thought it's me, but my lou lou is not letting me down and I can feel it on me all day, so as other perfumes. My boyfriend says he can't smell it either unless I keep sprinkling it on me non-stop....

Don't know what to say - fast food industry comes to mind...

charmedbella
charmedbella

I never cared for the original Shalimar, but this bottle is so beautiful, I was inclined to try it. So I ordered a sample a few weeks ago and oh my ... I've been sniffing my wrists in pure enjoyment!

It is powdery, sweet, warm, sultry. I love the notes of vanilla, caramel, tonka bean and patchouli. This is such a seductive, sexy perfume. I can imagine mysef wearing this to seduce my husband in nothing but satin sheets.

This is not a fragrance for a weak woman. This is alluring, salacious, intimate. I can see men being drawn to a woman who wears this fragrance. I picture this being wearable on women in their late 20s to late 30s and beyond. Parfum Initial is rich, mysterious, and decadent. I would wear this to a romantic dinner, a sexy New Years Eve party, or even a business meeting to amp up my confidence.

Bravo Guerlain! I look forward to making Parfum Initial my first Guerlain in my collection.

mylancome

Without Vanilla, Coumarin and some heavy spices, Shalimar is Jicky, Jicky is Shalimar. I only realise why Parfum Initial smells funny, it smells like Jicky (the edt version I tried recently).

For those who think Shalimar is too heavy for daily use, try Jicky. For people like me who can't get the perfume extrait and too expensive, get Parfum Initial. They are closely related.

michelle.p.stpierre

About flankers, Shalimar is a gorgeous perfume and smells DIVINE, if you have the body chemistry for it. On some other people, their body chemistry can amp the lemon to the point that they smell more like a big glass of tart lemonade rather than the enchanted Garden of Shalimar. Enter the flanker. For those who really can't wear Shalimar, there is a possible alternative here so not to be left out. For those who say, "it's not Shalimar!" It wasn't intended to be just like the original. The original was never touched (except reformulations I really can't comment on) and is still there. Think of it as the original being from one part of the garden, while this Shalimar Initial being from another part of the same garden with a different variety of rose, iris, and jasmine, and with a different set of ingredients to deliver a fragrance better suited for other peoples' body chemistry. Please don't be angry if other people want to enjoy the garden too. In a garden, there is something for everyone. If you enjoy the original Shalimar, continue enjoying it. For others, Shalimar Initial is a lovely, light, and sweet addition to this fragrance garden. You can enjoy BOTH if you like. I, for one, am captivated!

evesoho

Shalimar Parfum Initial is still surprising me. For example, I recently began to detect the "ashtray" note from time to time... some people have a cigarette after making love. Why shouldn't that be represented in a sensual perfume? If that's an imperfection, it's one I can live with, especially since I discovered that spraying it on my clothes ensures the lovely bergamot and orange stick around.

I think that detecting synthetic notes are forgivable in perfume, for this reason: If there weren't any, the formulation as a whole might not be possible. Some people don't mind if there's a synthetic note - just as long as it doesn't smell synthetic. Not me; if the composition as a whole is great, original and turns me on, I don't care about a smelling note or two that doesn't replicate nature exactly.

6402's review had me nodding in complete agreement. In the ad with Vodianovna's nude profile the flacon is strategically placed to look, well... like her cervix!

I love how woody this is... even the powdery element reminds me more of that fine, fine sawdust that flies into the air but doesn't collect, and all that *sucre brulé*! I think it's modern because it's feminine without being overt. The scent doesn't play up those usual symbols of sensuality too much... no leather, very light jasmine.

This doesn't have much to do with Shalimar, but I've given up trying to understand the marketing logic behind flankers. This is what it is, despite it's name.

I love Guerlain.

imaroo
imaroo

I don't love the opening notes of this one. They're a little too sweet, and I have enough of those perfumes. But half an hour in it changes to a smoky/woodsy/fruit incense scent. I don't get that with the original, which turns into baby powder on me. Just plain baby powder.

I really like this new one.

daisygirl
daisygirl

I was very excited to get this one, but unfortunately for me Shalimar parfum initial is a no no! All I get is rice water and animals..

I hope one day my chemistry changes and I can wear it.

liliana darriba
liliana darriba

Un perfume "elegante". Quizas inmediatamente al aplicarlo se siente demasiado fuerte, con solo esperar menos de 5 minutos se acomoda en la piel transformándose a una hermosa suavidad que no por ser suave no se hace notar. Durante la tarde/noche lo usaria solo con un par de vaporizaciones y si quiero hacerlo notar más, transformarlo en una fragancia con más personalidad o una fiesta nocturna reforzaría con unas cuantas aplicaciones más y se que me acompañará hasta el final y un poco más tambien.

charlottesmom
charlottesmom

Ahhhhh! Finally a Shalimar I can wear every day! First off I ADORE Shalimar, wore it faithfully in High School (a billion years ago). I have since moved on to many many different perfumes and have a bunch that I really like but really wanted to try out Shalimar again. I did spritz Shalimar on my wrist while wandering through Macy's last year and while I did still like it it was a bit more powerful on me than I remembered, if applied carefully it was tolerable and beautiful (the husband remembered and liked it still). I decided to ask for samples of Shalimar EDT and Shalimar Initial Parfum to compare and see which one I like better. I applied a tiny spritz of Shalimar while in Sephora and by the time I got home 2 hours later it was lovely! I exercised, took a shower and applied Shalimar Initial....it was totally lovely from the get go and keeps getting softer, and more beautiful as time passes! I still sense Shalimar, it still has the basic essense of Shalimar just a softer mellower version is how my skin radiates it...this will have a place of honor in my prefume collection (when I get my grubs on a full size bottle). I have no doubt this Shalimar will last all day as the original always does, the Sillage is a bit close to the body, which is what I love about Shalimar, it's a cozy, close perfume for you and your special someone to enjoy.

I could never get into the original Shalimar because of the civet note. Civet doesn't bother me on paper, but it does not work well with my chemistry at all. Original Shalimar comes off sharp and screechy on my skin.

This version comes off very creamy on me. It's heavy, mature but not old fashioned. I get a lot of jasmine and rose (but not indolic jasmine), tonka, a touch of vanilla and some caramel all grounded in patchouli. It smells much more powdery on paper and clothing than on skin.

I wouldn't recommend for daily wear. More like dinner with a special someone. It's too heavy for a first date, casual event or the office.

A very nice warm, romantic scent. There's a sweetness but not a sugary, sharp sweetness. It's much smoother.

Not many of the reviewers said that this scent is sensual, but for me it is. It has a sexual vibe to it. It's silky and sweet, like a woman's body. The precious bottle also reminds me of a shady boudoir. I can imagine a woman coming home back from work, taking off her clothes carefully and spraying PI on her neck. It's an intimate and carnal perfume. If you use it for going out, it would be like going out after having sex, when you still can feel your lover's kisses on your warm skin. Or like going out to do a super boring and common thing, like work or school or the supermarket and having your most luxurious lingerie on. A naughty secret and blushed cheeks, that is what Shalimar Parfum Initial smells like to me.

intras
intras

I'm truly sorry to give this review, as I am a devotee of Shalimar EDP, Ode a la Vanille sur la Route de Madagascar, and EDT. But this... Powder and vanilla, vanilla, vanilla - and there's nothing else on my skin. It sounds flat on me, and so sickeningly sweet I can't bear it. God, please, do better than this, Guerlain!

Eos
Eos

What does Shalimar Parfum Initial (SPI) smell like? Isolate the iris-patchouli-leather accord from the original Shalimar and add a burnt sugar/creme brulee note and you've got SPI. There's very little else to say about this. Is it pleasant? Sure, but it feels like what it is: the gourmand-ization of Shalimar.

Puddy Cat
Puddy Cat

i AM IN LOVE :-) beautiful elegant fragrance that I just cannot get enough of & the bottle is so pretty, just love love love it :-) xx

evesoho

I received a hand-me-down tiny(!) bottle of Shalimar in the late 80s, and although I didn't understand it, I dreamed of owning a big bottle someday when I was grown. I'd never heard of "Guerlain" and the name filled me with a sense of mystery. Later, in my 20s, I sniffed some in the Guerlain store in Toronto on Bay and Bloor, but I wasn't convinced it was the same. I didn't realize then that perfumes *could be* or *would be* reformulated, knowing nothing of the trade, so I was confused. I went home and smelled the drop left in my tiny(!!!) bottle. It wasn't the same! Even now that I know about reforumulation, I can't wrap my head around it. I miss that perfume, although I waited ten years to wear it, and only wore it a handful of times at that. That last drop remains in my tiny bottle, one of my treasured possessions.

Enter Shalimar Parfum Initial. Oh! What's this? Smells beautiful. Is this for real? Am I losing it? Can a Shalimar flanker really be this utterly gorgeous?

Shalimar from my tiny bottle is like the true love who died. Parfum Initial is the one who comes along after and shows you that you can love again, opening your heart until your last breath.

Shalimar (the vintage at least) is like a great symphony. You can listen one hundred times and still hear new ways in which the notes, instruments, and structure work together. Parfum Initial is also a great symphony, one played with different instruments, and you are listening from further away. To me, it's more like dreaming of a great symphony, rather than being there to hear it. I'm wearing it right now, the winter evening is turning to night, and I'm happy.

lyciumchld

A lovely little fragrance, less heady than the original Shalimar. Sadly, on me it all but disappears.

stephanie.hamrick
stephanie.hamrick

What? A Shalimar that isn't awful on me? How does this even happen? It's warm, soft, powdery, and elegant, everything I'd always expected the original Shalimar to be (but got a horrible, medicinal top and a cloying heart instead). Unfortunately, though, they lightened it up all the way down, losing the beautiful Guerlinade base that I adore in LHB and Mitsouko. I disagree with the comparisons to "a watered-down Angel"--this is far more elegant and not nearly as overexposed.

aveilhe
aveilhe

I see absolutely nothing wrong with creating twists on a classic. Fashions change, tastes change, and trends go in cycles. The classics will always be there -- they are the foundation, the originators. But, the younger generation has every right to play, experiment, riff, sample, and insert new life into old standbys. This is a sign of respect: a way to honor a heritage, to cast an appreciating glance toward the past. This is the case with Shalimar Parfum Initial, in my opinion.

The perfumista's creed states that everyone should own a Shalimar. Those who love the original love it with fiery passion. How I envy that passion! Unfortunately, the original Shalimar and I do not get along: to my nose, it's too pungent, too powdery, too musty. The tonka and civet combination just sends me reeling.

Parfum Initial takes the spirit and vibe of the original Shalimar -- warmth, sensuality, comfort, exoticism, and earthines -- and updates the notes. Initial has none of the mustiness, the difficult civet undertones, or the waxy vanilla that I smell in the original.

The top notes in Initial are tart and sweet: juicy orange, hints of ripe raspberry, and bright green notes bring a freshness and tang to the rich base.

The middle notes in Initial are almost identical to the original: rose, jasmine, iris, patchouli, and vetiver. But there is a subtle, sweet softness to the heart of Initial -- not the overt powderiness of the original, but a nod in that direction. It comes across as more of a boudoir-ish, "lipstick" vibe. The patchouli adds richness and depth, and the vetiver keeps the sweet notes and florals grounded with an earthy aroma.

Like the original, there is an abundance of Tonka in Initial. In fact, I see this as the tie that truly binds the two. Tonka can come across as a very old-fashioned note when blended with notes like orris and civet (this was a very common combination in Victorian fragrances, and it also happens to be a very potent accord in Shalimar). Instead, Initial features a warm, syrupy tonka-vanilla-caramel base, blended with just a hint of clean musk: a combination that firmly places this fragrance in the 21st century. It dries into the softest, warmest, most delicious aroma on the skin. Ahhh...Guerlain dry-downs are always stunning.

Initial may very well be "my" Shalimar! If you dislike the original, don't hesitate to give Initial a try. It's youthful, but still has the soul of Shalimar, so it would suit any age. It also has excellent sillage and longevity. It may very well be a classic in its own right.

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

It smells very high class, powdery, and almost like lipstick in a way. It's probably the caramel that gives me the lipstick sensation. Either way, I appreciate this because it's not a BORING flanker. It's a flanker that brings something slightly different to the table. I like that this fragrance isn't overwhelmingly foody, overwhelmingly floral, overwhelmingly powdery, etc. It has a nice balance, thanks to the interestingly wide selection of notes.

Guerlain has a knack for creating fragrance flankers that are actually debatably different and that have their own characteristics. At first glance, if I smelled this and the original Shalimar side by side, I would choose Parfum Initial.

I adore Shalimar, and wear it quite often. But this fragrance was a pleasant surprise for me, and I definitely wouldn't mind owning it. I love that lipstick smell that certain fragrances tend to evoke!

gmstrack
gmstrack

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain is not a disappointing “very berry cupcake”. Basically, take Shalimar EDC, add a dash of Angel, hit yourself in the head, and there you have it. The composition opens with citrus, vanilla, iris, and spicy leather, and at this stage, the genetics of the Grande Dame dominate the composition. As the fragrance develops on the skin, I pick up liquorice loud and clear. Basically, a huge liquorice root is chasing me around the room, trash talking and spewing obscenities. An hour later, the liquorice thug sulks in a corner and suddenly crazy Auntie Angel shows up with caramel and funky patchouli. Crazy Auntie and I are fabulous friends—we have caused quite a bit of trouble together—and we spend the next four hours trying on clothes and deciding if I look better in the vintage floral dress or the one made out of rubber (it snaps).

4/5 Just try it!

renatinha
renatinha

Extremely powdery scent at the beginning and even liking this kind of smell, i thought this one was very strong! Seemed that i had powder on my skin.
However, 20 minutes later this powder was decreased and the smell was wonderful! Sweet but in a very soft way. I loved it!!

zvoncica
zvoncica

Shalimar Parfum Initial is exquisite.

Reminds me on combed hair, thick long blonde hair.

Its first notes are smaragd swimpool in a sun lighted room, where a silent music plays in a slow slow pace.

Water in the pool is filled with drowned gentle roses. They lay in the water as no time ever passed them by, so still and perfect.

I watch them and think they are never growing old.

There's this smell in the room.
Its not roses nor smaragd shine nor combed hair.
Its a smell of uninhibited desire.
I don't know where its coming from but i can feel its heartbeat
on my skin
on my eyelids
on the tip of all my fingers.

preskal
preskal

After quite a long hesitation whether to buy Shalimar or Shalimar Parfumerie Initial I finally got the latter. And my choice was great! As the fans of Shalimar will approach me for not choosing the original, I, m glad that I,m wearing the lighter version . Only one spritz of Edp is enough to last on me for over seven hours! Elegant and feminine perfume ! As a lighter flanker of Shalimar that is designated for a younger audience, I'm my opinion a woman under 30 will think twice before put it on. So the pub with Natalia Vodianova is not a good choice.

curvealert
curvealert

I really like this, although my enthusiasm was partially enhanced by getting a 50% discount and a 15ml travel atomizer thrown in!

What pleased me most is that many of the notes in the original Shalimar are present, without the elements that make Shalimar unwearable for me. No matter how many times I tried to like it (it smells fine on the tester strip), on me it smells like a recently disinfected floor after Tiddles had just had a little accident...Funky Dettol.

Not so Parfum Initial. This is a spicy, elegant, regal iris with a touch of sweetness from the caramel to temper the vetiver. If you don't like vetiver, stay away from this scent. I love it here; combined with the patchouli, it gives the scent an ambery warmth and depth that reminded me of Amber Gris by Balmain.

I think this makes a great winter scent, for daytime or evening.

vincy_gal
vincy_gal

Very over-powering on me! It smells like some kind of household cleaner with essence of pine. After the initial hit of pine, I get a poweder scent. I don't smell any vanilla or musk or jasmine. This frag is much too heavy and unpleasant on me. Not a fan!

Athanasia2702
Athanasia2702

Extremely feminine, sophisticated and warm scent.

Put it before you lay in bed in the evening, you will have sweet dreams .......

Takhaet
Takhaet

ahhhhhhh...marvellous Guerlain ....

Love this scent .

It starts very strong and very powdery-Guerlain like . Hints of iris, vanilla and a bit of musk. Very powerful and a little bit"plastic" but in a good way if that makes sense. In an extra-not so ordinary way.The Guerlain way. The way I have always loved. It maybe reminds me a little bit of Insolence, but only at the opening.

Few minutes later....oh my - a true poem being written on my skin. The fragrance becomes softer and more romantic. Something beautiful. I can smell a bit of caramel with some fresh, green notes but still musky and sweet . Patchouli is definitely there accompanied by sweet jasmine and something zesty. From time to time it smells a bit minty -but very very nice.

This Shalimar has few different faces. Sometimes its strong and powdery , sometimes sweet and romantic and sometimes fresh and calm . But still so pure....

I absolutely adore this fragrance .

When I wear it at night time though it smells a bit different ....classy, sexy and notes become a bit darker. Another Masterpiece .

I wear it during the day sometimes and got lots of people asking me about it ..but ...shhhhh it is a secret <3

murasaki
murasaki

an Iconic bottle and product. I was really feeling like having it at home.. but after a first spray on my skin the fragrance revealed to be a total no go. Very old style and heavy. Vetiver makes and Iris are in this fragrance a turn down for whomever is under the age of 60...

flying_colours
flying_colours

There's something spring-like to me in this perfume. Maybe I only say that because I discovered and started wearing it last spring... But to me Shalimar Initial is spring, while Shalimar is deep dark cozy winter. That absolutely makes sense in my head.

I like this fragrance a lot, although I like it less than I did when I first discovered it. It's always going to have a special place in my heart, because it was my first Guerlain fragrance (yes I was a bit late, I know) and it inspired me to try the original Shalimar, which has without a doubt become my favourite perfume of all time (so far). Considering they practically share a name, you feel compelled to compare them, but they are distinct fragrances. It's not trying to be Shalimar, just inspired by it. With Initial I'm sensing a similar base to Shalimar, but there's more powder and more sweetness, less citrus. It's definitely more accessible, it's pretty and sweet from the offset and I liked it immediately.

It's definitely a sillage-machine on me, though, which makes me a little self-conscious about wearing it sometimes, especially if I'm going to be indoors a lot. It's very heady and for the first couple of hours after applying I know everyone within a few feet of me can smell it too. I've had nothing but compliments on it, but I'd still rather not be smelled from across the room! It lasts a long time on skin but it's a powerful scent that I can imagine would be headache inducing for some.

RoRoSe
RoRoSe

Shalimar Initial is a thick vanilla scent .. grown up vanilla .. cozy type not yummy one .. reminds me alot with the vanilla tone of L'Instant de Guerlain ..
I t may be nice in a very cold weather .. but it's not my cup of tea ..

snails
snails

it's like walking on broken glass while feeling caressed and tickled. few words can describe such a creation. i love it on my fiancee

tanithh
tanithh

Real powdery,,it reminds me of a boudoir, it smells vintage.

citadel
citadel

I absolutely love this. Earlier this year, I bought the Shamilar EDP, and while it is one of my favorites, it was sometimes a little too serious for my every day use. It was what I wore when going out or while wearing some fabulous designer shoes, but not something I felt matched anything too trendy or youthful.

The Parfum Initial, on the other hand, is a cheeky take on the original. It's sweet, coy, and a little innocent compared to its sultry, commanding, and sophisticated older sister. So if you're a gourmand fiend who felt the original Shalimar was a little too serious, I recommend trying this latest flanker.

100mlEDT
100mlEDT

Guerlian, Shalimar  parfum initial 2011 by Thierry Wasser.  Entirely representing the outer trappings of the original and giving it rose coloured glasses,  perhaps this Oriental vanilla gourmand with caramella accord would be more to your taste than iconic Shalimar. It's vaguely related to the famous Shalimar, but think of it as the basics rethought, while still being able to tie it back to the original. No dirty bits to be found anywhere with white musk . Wasser uses popular iris paired with nutty almond nuances, over time drying down to woods and amber less smokey and vanillic than the original.

kylexora
kylexora

I used to wear Eau de Shalimar which is great to be worn under your shirt / dress / suit etc. At first, I did not expect much from this perfume when the Guerlain lady offered a tester paper to me. Gueess what?! I straight away got flown away with the smell. Georgeous!! That was my first thought. Luxury, classy and so chic... I left the counter and keep sniffing my wrist till I reach home. I put the tester paper which the Guerlain lady gave me and the whole room smells like a luxury room. My husband asking me what do you spray in the bedroom? He liked it!! I return to Guerlain counter the next day and bought myself a large bottle of Shalimar Parfum Initial & we became close friend since then. Plus, I got lots and lots of compliments too!!!

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

I have a moment of shame here, i was looking for a Christmas fragrance for my mum (am a guy of 32) sprayed this onto a card, ended up buying her a bottle of Tom Ford's Black Orchid, which i found very feminine. Throughout the day Xmas Shopping i found myself constantly putting the Shalimar card under my nose, so I went back and bought a bottle for me, the Lady on the Guerlain counter said i wasn't the first guy to buy and use it. I find it quite a masculine smell, it is utterly wonderful, absolutely love it 5/5

Jewelsie42
Jewelsie42

I have been spritzing myself liberally with this gorgeous perfume for over a week now. This is a fantastic creation.On me it opens with a zesty burst of citrus, I can almost taste the orange rind. It's refreshing and tart, but not at all like a cleaner of any kind...smells just like I have been making a fresh orange zest for a recipe. The citrus phase never gets sour on me and only lasts about 20-30 minutes. After the citrus is when Parfum Initial gets warm and sweet, the florals are hardly noticed due to the rich powdery embrace of Iris,luscious tonka bean,sweet vanilla and smooth caramel. SPI has a smokey, creme brulee caramel quality on my skin. I love the way it lingers in my clothes. Sillage is excellent, I have a rosey pink cloud wafting around me all day long. Longevity, for me (I have dry skin that eats perfume) is very good, 5-6 hours. I plan to purchase the body lotion in hopes it will increase that number.
All in all, I think Thierry Wasser did a fine job with this "New Generation" of Shalimar. I am not bothered by it sharing the namesake of the Grand Dame at all. I like that this is thought of as a "beginner's Shalimar" or as an "introductory" perfume to Original Shalimar. If it get's a new generation of young people interested in a classic perfume house like Guerlain and a wets their appetites for something more filling in the form of original Shalimar, I'm all for it!
For me,Shalimar Parfum Inital is a 10/10! I have my beautiful bottle with the dusty rose colored juice proudly displayed on my vanity!

caramellomacchiato
caramellomacchiato

if u are still hesitant about do not know to buy L'Eau or Initial,hope those could help u a bit~~
L'Eau is fresh with citrus note;
Initial is mellow with Caramel note!
Initial is mellow and richer ,L'Eau is lighter and fresher IMO~~

both of L'Eau & Initial (their foxy smell)could be recognized those two are daughters of mama Shalimar~~
lasting power of L'Eau is nearly as well as Initial(both are good enough,Especially Initial,on clothing fabric could keep even weeks)

ps.I spent my money for Initial,because the Shalimar's distinctive foxy smell blend with mellowly caramel note makes me love it so much!!!

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Very disappointing. A not very good flanker to my nose. To my nose this has a stinging acidic waft of something that smelt like dog pee, then burnt toast in the top notes. It finally settled down to a not unpleasant vanilla but there are better vanillas out there. Shalimar, how coud they do this to you? For anyone who is looking for a Shalimar flanker, try one of the others or, better yet, try some vintage Shalimar. I know many people love this and I wish I smelled the lovely things all of you do.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

This is a true beauty in a bottle. I love the look of the bottle, the classy rose and blue, but the perfume itself, oh my.
It opens with the same musty, stuffy, old, rather unpleasant scent that the original Shalimar has on paper. (I've never tested the original on my skin. I might have been a little bit afraid of it.) I absolutely do not get the fresh blast of citrusses that many people seem to smell.
But when the musty smell disappears, after about five minutes, a wonderful heavy balsamic incensy scent makes its entry. This beautiful note is pushed away some time later by the most gorgeous, creamy caramel. Then leathery iris and dry vanilla, perfectly pared, join the dance, draped with the sweet caramel. The balsamic notes reappear as well, though not as pure and heavy like they were in the beginning of the fragrance.
These three accords dance a wonderful slow dance, as if in a trance and during this dance, Shalimar Parfum Initial becomes more and more powdery, then more woody, then more leathery. After a while, the slightly spiced up vanilla takes the center stage, settles herself and lets the other notes play around her.
I litteraly can't stop sniffing my wrist, I want to bury my nose in it, trying to smell more and more of this gem.
This goes straight to the top of my want list. At once.

Alexandre
Alexandre

It is wonderful, full of facets, because it will be changing slowly in the skin ... For those seeking something sweet and exotic as some ... Initially, the first 10 minutes, I found a bit strange, disgusting, but then passed this initial impression. The similarity to the Dior Homme really is immense. The Shalimar bottles are a spectacle of design.
This classic revisited reaches a new audience, not accustomed to that dry touch, powdery of the traditional Shalimar.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Now, I am a new but serious fan of Shalimar - I recounted my first encounter with the EdT just a few days ago here. Thanks to a fellow fragrantican I quickly tried out the EdP - a darker quite leathery and, if possible, more luxurious affair.

I was then made aware of the Parfum Initial and Parfum Initial l'Eau by some others out there in the blogoshpere: what a revelation.

Flankers, I thought I had quickly learned, were to be treated with suspicion, particularly when they are of a masterwork of the ilk of Shalimar. But in this case these two family members stand as worthy, if come lately, additions to the clan.

That said I think that the use of the name Shalimar to describe both is somewhat misleading and, forgive me, smacks a little of tight marketing budgets or a lazy desire to cash in on a great name.

Personally I enjoy the powdery dryness of the original, I feel it gives it an unyielding and poised demeanour that sets the scent apart from the modern world. But I accept that with this sang froid there may come a little too much of the 'old perfume' feeling for many and it's really, for me, a question of preference rather than good or bad taste.

That said, Shalimar Parfum Initial is a creamy delight. It's like dust has been blown off a grand old parlour and ice cream production is back in full flow. The caramel that comes along with the central vanilla note is not sticky brown and verging on burnt but a light butterscotch that mixed with the best an organic dairy can provide makes for an heavenly coup de glace. And what is best is that like some Willy Wonka creation the cold sweet stuff just keeps on coming.

Are the other flavours a little lost in the mix? Perhaps, though Irises are in abundance in clear glass vases on every table and there's definitely an old patchouli-soaked new-ager working behind the counter. But hell when the organic butterscotch double cream (maybe slightly off double cream) ice cream is this good and never ending (incredible silage and longevity) who's complaining?

My only tiny niggle, is it a little bit too clean - too modern? Am I little too old for this? I will certainly be recommending for nieces and nephews in their twenties who want to stand out from the crowd. But I'll hold back just a while.

This is another report from a man lost in the world of women's fragrance with only his friends to guide him. Please help by posting your suggestions on what I could try next on the thread 'what made for women fragrances can or should a man wear?'

mimikins24
mimikins24

Upon first spray, I get very strong citrus, in particular lemon. It's almost a bit too sharp, green and astringent, but this passes within the first 20-30 mins.

You do get the signature Guerlainade in the dry down. The overall impression for me is of a light powdery musk and vanilla base, as well. Unfortunately, I do not get much tonka or caramel, which I was hoping for.

Overall, this is a lovely day scent, perfect to feel feminine in a work environment. It is not heavy or a sillage monster like some Guerlains, do I feel comfortable in my office setting. I have a FB that I will delight in wearing during the day, but it is not rich, dark or deep enough for evening (at least for me). Longevity good, as it last a work day, but is fairly faint by the end.

Final impressions, I have to say the bottle is pretty, feminine and charming. I would also say this is a good introduction to Guerlain, perhaps for a younger woman. I think it is unfortunate that the name includes the word Shalimar, as I don't detect any relation betweeen the scents and find it rather misleading. I also love the ad campaign, but I think Natalia Vodianova is stunning.

Edited: After playing with the amount applied and location (i.e.: skin vs clothing), I am definitely getting the caramel as long as it is on a pulse point.

Indigomama
Indigomama

I am in no way a fan of Guerlain and by no means a fan of classic Shalimar, overall I will always stick to Chanel. But, strange enough, my friend who sells perfume recommended me just testing Sh Initial in EDP. I purchased it somewhat reluctantly because I generally liked it but found not lasting at all. After one year, my nose has possibly improved, and Sh Initial comes up as a very long lasting, straightforward and clean oriental perfume, if an oriental may be clean. It is a modern oriental, in the end of the day, there shouldn't be anything vintage about it. It smells wonderfully (=self-conscious, glam and expensive) on my fur coat and it will from now on represent the oriental segment in my perfume drawer. Kenzo Amour Le Parfum and Kashaya are leaving to new homes. Shalimar Initial EDP is best worn in cold weather

Rawannnna
Rawannnna

first ten minutes- sharp smell like soap, after that trace of vanilla and musk, then its gone! I have an oily skin and this should stay more on me, I wonder if it evern deserve the name shalimar.
ALAS!!

Eneli
Eneli

Smells like smoke-damaged flowers on me. Remind very much of the original Shalimar but more flowery. Like it alot.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

A lot of negative reviews on that one from reviewers that I highly respect and that have very good taste.

I would like to say to new people interested in this perfume that you should really try it for yourself before dismissing it because I personnally like it and I don't get any of the synthetic nauseating notes on my skin when i use it. I get compliments from it and if it works with your chemistry, it is quite lovely. The bottles are gorgeous as well.

I think both this and the L'Eau versions are pretty perfumes. They are also very affordable. And not anybody can wear/pull off the original Shalimar which is nowadays made with ingredients just as cheap and synthetic as those 2 new flankers. Let's not fool ourselves. Guerlain is not niche and their more affordable fragrances (not the high end ones) all compare in quality of ingredients.

Post-Y2K Guerlain and I simply do not get along. Sad to say, as I was the most enthusiastic of Guerlain devotees before The Fall. We're really batting zero at this point. In the post-Guerlain Guerlain period, the Aqua Allegorias have become abstract and synthetic rather than a reflection of beauty and simplicity in nature. The polymeric INSOLENCE induced in me such revulsion that I had to swap my big bottle away because every time I removed the cap contemplating a spritz, I'd hurriedly replace it after taking a short sniff of the nozzle. Actually, come to think of it, Guerlain seems to be following the same downwardly spiraling trajectory as Ann Taylor. Under new management, these businesses are riding for now on their names, but the output bears no resemblance to the good old days.

Habits die hard, and despite my vow not to make any more blind buys of Guerlain without first testing the composition--or reformulation--in question, I have toyed with the idea of picking up a bottle of SHALIMAR PARFUM INITIAL in recent times. It's been quite a while since I bought anything from Guerlain, so occasionally those memories fade a bit, and I start to forget about the series of post-Y2K debacles and begin yearning nostalgically for the classics again. When I see ever-plummeting prices on these Guerlain perfumes at the discounters, I need to stop myself, since I already made THAT mistake once: I picked up a big bottle of Aqua Allegoria CHERRY BLOSSOM which I'm never going to wear. It cost about $30. I was also quite disappointed by my purchase of COLOGNE IMPERIALE (clearly reformulated...), which I see can now be had for a mere $36 (I paid about $60). Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

So I stopped myself from adding a bottle of this perfume to my shopping cart recently and instead opted to request a sample at Sephora as I was in the neighborhood anyway. What I found initially was that SHALIMAR INITIAL did not smell too much like SHALIMAR, which seemed interesting in and of itself. Why make it a flanker, if it's an entirely new perfume? Well, for the the same reason that a perfume put out by the house formerly known as Guerlain today, under the helm of LVMH and no longer a family jewel, will garner tons of supporters simply because it is "Guerlain" or has "Shalimar" in its name.

Alas, I was right not to buy a bottle of SHALIMAR PARFUM INITIAL. It smells to me rather like vanilla-scented hairspray. There is something harsh and forbidding, the dreaded short-circuited appliance aura, in this composition--every bit as unpleasant as INSOLENCE's plastic--which makes this creation an uncomfortable wear for me. Perfume should feel and smell good, and neither of those criteria are satisfied in my case by SHALIMAR PARFUM INITIAL. As far as the composition is concerned, there is a bit of an overlap with Lolita Lempicka, but it's as though the synthetic part has been amped up and the sweetness cut with nothing added in to compensate for the latter loss or to mask the former excess.

It's time for me to face the fact: I am no a fan of Thierry Wasser.

Zazou
Zazou

How I wish Guerlain would stop launching one cheap-smelling Shalimar flanker after the other, just for the sake of commercial success... This one does not deserve the name of "la legende", either and - promise - this was the last variation I was testing. Starts pretty sharp, then smells exactly like Nivea (skincare) only to turn into a sweet, flowery, meaningless something. I am not sure yet whether I find it just flat or truly nauseating. Thumbs down.

Blimunda
Blimunda

I adore patchouli and caramel (chocolate, amber, vanilla, or whichever else sweet note) combo, but it seems to me that something is not functioning properly here.

First of all, it has poor lasting power on my skin, while aura almost does not exist and what I get from the perfume are mainly woody accords, extremely dry, to that point that it gave me the sensation of smelling white paper from my wrist. In some moments of time, it smells heavenly, of soft powder and make-up, but to be honest, my first impression was far better than the latter when I got down to examining it more carefully.

2,5/5

fumehead
fumehead

Dior Homme Intense + caramel

ailishlu
ailishlu

Tested this on my skin today in the store. I was confused with all of the different versions and really wanted to test the original. The SA told me that this was the original classic Shalimar. Anyway to the perfume itself. I can't like this no matter how hard I try. The initial spray was far too much leather AND industrial glue! In fact it reminded me of being in a cobblers shop. I felt so nauseous and my first instinct was to go to the bathroom and scrub it off. However I thought I would wait it out. It softened a little but there was still this underlying solvent smell which really repulsed me. Later I realised that it reminded me of Pledge furniture polish. 2 hours into wearing it and it doesn't get any better. There is however a hint of a creamy caramel and musk in the drydown, but there is still that awful Pledge smell. Three hours later and it seems to have stuck to a creamy vanilla almond scent which is familiar in many other fragrances. however it is now barely there and thankfully is no longer as annoying. This is certainly not a fragrance I will ever be able to wear. I feel a bit sad because I so wanted to like this and I'm sure it works wonders for many other women out there. Be warned. This is not a safe blind buy.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

Isn't the bottle just beautiful? The juice is the color of pink champagne...and the scent is just as exquisite. But then, it is guerlain. This reminds me right off of a lipstick I used to wear back when there used to be old-fashioned drug stores. I can't remember which one...maybe coty.

This is a good alternative for anyone who can't wear the old Shalimar. It is not nearly as multi-faceted or complex, but it is very beautiful in it's own right. Initial is a very classy well blended perfume that has a bit of an old makeup-y scent.
Another Guerlain treasure
Love;)

Sophie.love
Sophie.love

If Prada Candy and Infusion d'Iris it would marry , and would make a baby , definitely it will be Shalimar Parfum Intial .
Wonderful smell , full of caramel and iris , with a perfect hint of green notes .
Longevity : 8 hours .
PS : If you already have La vie est Belle by Lancome , you don't need this ... almost the same .... almost :)

jamie.smith
jamie.smith

I'm not sure exactly what note it was, but I got extremely nauseous while trying this out. I think it was the caramel with the vanilla with the musks. Just too much, not delightful at all.

marietita
marietita

LOVE IT!!! very warm and sweet!

lmlovespapa
lmlovespapa

THE OPENING OF THIS WAS QUITE....GROSS/SHARP/AND STRANGE HOWEVER IF YOU CAN BEAR THROUGH IT FOR ABOUT AN HOUR THE DRY DOWN IS GLORIOUS, BUT BEWARE THAT OPENING AINT NO JOKE

BeautifulDynamite
BeautifulDynamite

Okay I'm a big fan of the pink colour, but I'm not gonna lie. There's nothing like the original Shalimar. I feel the same way about Eau Premiere of Nº5.

It's everything I'd like in a perfume..but she's not the original.

misschic
misschic

I highly dislike this. May work for some people. I gave my bottle to my mom.

almarie
almarie

I really like this scent. I suppose it is an acquired taste type of fragrance, especially because I was on the fence at first but the drydown is amazing. You can definitely pick up on the zesty bergamot and the orange notes. I didn't like the original Shalimar but this one is truly amazing. This could be worn by anyone , but I do mostly see more mature individuals wearing this one. I have to be in the right mood to wear it, and for some reason my boyfriend,son, and my dad hate it on me- they say it's too strong! I still wear it at work,though.

judyk
judyk

I love the original Shalimar, and from the general tone of the reviews here I thought I might be able to appreciate Shalimar Initial. But I'm afraid the fruitchouli overlay is too powerful.

I can make out the Classic when I sniff my wrist - still quite leathery and surprisingly, despite it not appearing in the notes above and others saying they *don't* smell it here, I get quite a bit of civet, which I didn't notice in the original. The projected scent, however, is sweet fruitchouli with a bit of powdery iris. It could be any of a dozen or more modern perfumes.

If you're looking for an easy-wear/daytime Shalimar I can recommend Habit Rouge. :)

Rizaldo
Rizaldo

I love!!!!!

mseleena
mseleena

I swear I must be anosmic to something in this because all I could smell was a bitter paper-ish smell. So sad :(

biancaloren
biancaloren

Received this at the Bay fragrance counter in a sample vial - at first sniff - meh.
Later? I was in love! What an interesting smell! sweet but not sugary sickeningly so. calmly and quietly elegant. It doesnt scream to be noticed it waits with a knowing smile. you WILL love me. you'll see.

And she was right.

mrsriley
mrsriley

this is such a pretty perfume..i really like it..i do also have the original shalimar which is heavy and warm but also can be quite masculine at times on my skin..i get a very strong smell of the leather and the incense,which makes me feel a bit sick after a while,i'm glad to see they aren't in the initial ingredients at all..unlike some others reviews i can still smell it's shalimar but it's softer a prettier to me and much easier to wear..this could be worn everyday and i shouldn't think it would offend anyone.when you want it a little more potent for the evening then layer with the body lotion...and enjoy :)...i see a beautiful woman laying on a bed of flowers wearing light pink silk night slip with flowing hair and come to bed eyes :)

bartenderbabe
bartenderbabe

Shalimar Parfum Initial...well I was hoping to love it, but let's be honest, there's nothing like the original. This perfume opens with a blast of something that distinctly reminds me of the scent of Crayons. A bit off putting, because in the background I smell the lingering aroma of the original Shalimar trying to break through. Although Parfum Initial is not an altogether terrible perfume, it's just a bit too green for my tastes. This imposter(for lack of a better word) is like looking at Shalimar through an opaque glass. You know it's there, but it's a distorted version of itself. Parfum Initial is Shalimar when she's having a bad hair day and no makeup on. Parfum Initial is the jealous hand maiden, and Shalimar the stately Queen. Parfum Initial is the hot dog, Shalimar the filet mignon. Perhaps I wouldn't be so adamantly against it if I hadn't smelled the original, but I have and I'm ruined to it. Let the young generation have their Parfum Initial. As for me, there's nothing like the real thing baby!

aristouka
aristouka

This perfume is heavy it lasts forever and it makes think how well spent is your money everytime you buy a Guerlain perfume.Nothing synthetic,real perfume !
But i disagree with the different versions that the Perfume Houses produce every year! Shalimar is a "timeproof" fragrance that doesn't need new versions. The original one is the hit that has lasted over 90 years( from 1925 i think). You like it or not!
All the versions are just "fast - fragrance industry" that kevaana very well commented!

Smyle12
Smyle12

I'd "love" this if I wasn't a man, and Dior Homme (2005) wasn't my "signature scent" (not that I really have ONE). Fantastic scent, but it smells incredibly like Dior Homme (2005), This time you ladies can have it all to yourselves... Enjoy! :-)

FBenoit1
FBenoit1

There is a note here that I truly hate, maybe the synthetic caramel...I don't know but it's horrid on my skin. Stick to the original Shalimar EDP not EDT IMHO.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Now, I am of the opinion that Shalimar (the original one) is the very best perfume ever made. Ever.

Even considering this, Shalimar Parfum Initial is a fantastic fragrance. Many were wary at first and expecting a horrible abomination that would tarnish the perfection that is the original Shalimar. I mean, it's PINK for crying out loud!

Well, not only did I realize that it's a subdued and tasteful dusty rose color when I tested it in person, but the fragrance is magnificent. It accomplishes many things with an alarming level of perfection - It "feels" like Shalimar when you're wearing it, yet it doesn't smell like any other fragrance. It is opulent with great sillage and longevity. It is updated to reflect current trends, but it manages to elevate those trends to a much higher level. It is youthful, yet grown up. It feels vintage and completely new at the same time. It's not too sweet, too synthetic, too bland, or too anything. Most importantly, it has an excellent clarity about it - a mark of the now very rare skilled hands of a true master perfumer. It is truly a grand perfume in the classical style.

It is not Shalimar, but it doesn't have to be. I simply adore this fragrance for what it is - honest, real perfumery in the 21st century.

romrom

I got this yesterday and I'm in love!! such a great scent . great for fall and winter. you get still smell that great shalimar scent but in a more fresh and lighter way .

sapramiška
sapramiška

Very romantic, powdery, classic, soft, a bit old fashioned (but in a good way) perfume. It's wonderful!

calliope2ooo
calliope2ooo

davvero molto buono questo shalimar initial sono tentatissima di comprarlo magari per natale lo scrivo a babbo natale se me lo porta (finalmente ho letto una recensione in italiano!!!
... da pacciosa che saluto )

perfumereviewer

If you want to pick-up copy-shop guys you can also use Chanel nr.5 eau premiere :)), it works just as well as shalimar..at least for me. hahaha! Funny how they like only super-expensive perfumes.

acavicchi
acavicchi

I have to hand it to Guerlain for Shalimar Parfum Initial; they've managed to create a fragrance that evokes the memory of the classic Shalimar while being more suited to modern life. I have to admnit that, as much as I've tried to see the original Shalimar on its own terms, after smelling it on dozens of very elderly church ladies over the years, I haven't been able to get past those associations to actually wear it myself.
I was not impressed by Parfum Initial upon first spray: all I could smell was smoke and licorice but after about 10 minutes the fragrance evolved into creamy, warm caramel and rich incense scent. A little while later, a 20-something guy at the copy shop told me "This is probably not appropriate but you smell great," I told him I'd just sampled a new perfume and he said "Seriously, whatever that is, you need to buy at least a small bottle of it!".
I would say that Parfum Initial is probably better suited to fall and winter and is more of an evening fragrance...unless you're trying to pick up copy shop boys, but- hey- I'm not gonna judge ;)

Saidahjules
Saidahjules

Didn't lire it at all. At first it smells very nice but than like someone pee on u

missy.stratimirovic
missy.stratimirovic

mouthwatering, chic, warm, lovely.

romrom

This is such a beautiful scent, for many years I loved the original but I do think that the original is a bit strong for everyday and alot of people do find it overwhelming ( so sad)

Biliana
Biliana

Really nice, tried it just these days, but not for me in the long run.

perfumereviewer

Shalimar update: received many compliments lately on the purrfume I am wearing. (it's Shalimar Parfum Initial). I am slowly slowly educating the world and introducing it to SHALIMAR! hahahahaha!

claudia26
claudia26

Many of u compare the perfume to Johnson's baby oil.
I would like to ask which version u speak of(the one with cammomile, aloe vera or the originial).

French Boudoir Doll
French Boudoir Doll

***The initial "Initial" really smells licoricy at first to me...with a grand Shalimar mix! If I am not mistaken it reminds me of a combonination of Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice mixed with classic Shalimar. That is the first Guerlain treat...
***The Iris as we know does not truly have a scent...but quite unique in the synthetic world...and overtaked the "Rose" here...and is quite powdery...
***The Carmel, Vanilla and tonka bean make my mouth water....a trully delightful scent.
Please try on skin...not paper. I am happy it has a place in my collection.

instantjim
instantjim

I bought a bottle of this for my wife and we both really like it. We both agree that there is a licorice -like accord at the start. It's kind of like licorice mixed with vanilla and maybe caramel. I'm really surprised that anise is not one of the listed ingredients. This is a very warm fragrance and different to he original Shalimar, but not different enough for there to be no similarity.

Annica
Annica

Original Shalimar never worked on my skin. It was only Johnson's baby powder throughout the fragrance. Initial is a whole different story. This is how I wished that the original would smell. The scent is incredibly rich. You feel how the fragrance develops gradually, each separate note. In particular the iris is so wonderful. Patchouli and caramel work very well together. It is an exciting fragrance, very special. Goes directly to my wantlist. Wonderful!!!
Thankyou Renate for the sample.

Update:It's as if it rests a golden, magical shimmer over this scent. It is so, so, beautiful. A must-have. I am ruined this month LOL

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

i love this more than the original shalimar which always leaves me with a slight note of despair for some reason. this is heady but lighter and more floral than the spicy-ness of the original. much much better than the l'eau in my opinion. i have both the orginal and this but the parfum initial would be my pick if i had to choose. a very romantic scent and suitable for a woman starting to mature in her twenties onwards.

LesleyA
LesleyA

I sprayed this on a tester strip at Ulta today, out of curiosity, and initially, I was reminded of cola, but also something more specific....that child-hood soda pop-tasting candy-- Bottle Caps! That little top-notes association made me happy. :)
This is soooo not the kind of perfume I go for, but I enjoyed testing it, and as it dried down, I could imagine how beautifully elegant it smells on the right person. :)

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

Wow- I really like this Shalimar update. Don't get me wrong- I like the original as well, but this would be much easier to wear. it is a lot less citrusy with a slightly sweeter floral note floating over the gorgeous creaminess of original Shalimar. This is at once feminine and sweet with a little attitude mixed in. It smells classy and classic but is also a lot of fun.

EmyPlante
EmyPlante

There are a few things I am drawn to and fascinated by and those include the 1920's, 30's, 40's and 50's, fashion, art, and perfumery. You'd think all I'm missing is a nice, vintage, bottle of Guerlain. Hell no..

Some of you praise Guerlain very highly and I've always been curious what Shalimar smells like, I've heard some people say Shalimar is amazing, wonderful and whatnot and I've heard others say it's, excuse my cheap expression, and old lady scent. However, I've heard that Shalimar Parfum Initial is just perfect because it's a younger, fresher, more modern reformulation of the original Shalimar.

I was at the pharmacy today and had a good sniff, sprayed it on my hand and god... I could pick up a LOT of spicy, leathery, earthy notes! Nothing unfeminine, but a very in-your-face, mature, unpleasant scent to my nose. It developed into a very powdery and woodsy type of scent in the drydown.

This stuff is SO strong as well! I tried to wash it off and it stays on and on and on...

Not for me, sorry!

personsa22
personsa22

I've been wearing Dior Homme for 6 years now in both formulations. Both are wonderful.

Shalimar Initial is Dior Homme's fabulous gay brother and I am totally obsessed.

If you love the Iris opening in Dior Homme... you'll like this too.

Coutureguru
Coutureguru

For the longest time I've dismissed Guerlain in general as not being my 'cup of tea', as it were. Humble pie is a difficuilt thing to eat :) ... I have to say that after watching a youtube review on Guerlain frags (by the fabulous Hilaire) my interest was piqued and I went off for a better informed spray this afternoon.
Parfum Initial, it must be said starts life a little bit of a mishmash ... it rushes out of the bottle, hits the skin and lays dormant for a good three minutes of aldehyde hell. I found this immediate effect to be a little foetid, which surprised me as I generally like a blast of good aldehydes!
The day is saved by the arrival of the most beautiful, silvery Iris ... bouyantly introducing the Vanilla, which starts off as a soft whisper and slowly crescendos to a muted roar! The florals and Patchouli here are a shadowy compliment, with the Tonka and Caramel warming up the dry down in a very edible way.
I'm hooked!! The only thing that stopped me from an immediate purchase was that the store didn't have any 100mls in stock. Definitely an FB buy for me ... sooner rather than later!

brigittehiroshi
brigittehiroshi

I was at an airport and I was strongly attracted by the shape of this perfume bottle, one of the most beautiful currently in the market. This is a very good quality perfume that can easily be labelled as unisex fragrance.

After reading some comments I imagined a very heavy or even loud fragrance. I was pleasantly surprised by the first notes of vanilla and iris, which make this perfume to be very enveloping, but not oppressively, but rather in a subtle but persistent way.

Is in the drydown when I was still more positively surprised. The persistent notes of caramel turned into something like cacao and the fragrance, strongly reminded me Dior Homme Intense, but I even prefer Shalimar to Dior because the projection
and sillage are better on my skin. Longevity is excellent, one of the best of all perfumes, lasting for hours.

A great and perfect fragrance for all women, and for those men who like these warm enveloping and long lasting perfumes and have no prejudices or taboos.

Carnation
Carnation

I was curious to see what set this aprt from Shalimar and Initial is more fresher and sharper with less of a powdery veil to it. There is still the amber and a bit of spice and yes, there is a thin surrounding of powder to it. It may very well be worn as a masculine too.

HelenAnn
HelenAnn

Tried it, loved it, purchased it. Adore the bottle and the fragrance. This is me, more than any other perfume I own. Subtle, spicy, sophisticated, warm and powdery.

NaniFiona
NaniFiona

I wanted to like it, I had great expectations, but GOOD GOD! There has to be something rotten in this!!! Well, at least in my skin, with my body chemistry, this was catastrophic! Smells like medications (IV antibiotics) and sickness... Reminds me of rounds at the foot of the bed of the pacientes in hot summer days, with little change of air in those rooms and much sick body odors...you can imagine how it was...
It`s a shame, i really wanted to own a perfume with this complexity. I`ll try the others on the line.

personagrata
personagrata

I can see the similarities between shalimar original and this one, they have the same base, the same smoky dna.But this one is more wearable, not so formal, more clean kind of scent, soapy, sweet and not sensual. I was planning on wearing this one in the summer for a day kind of scent, which is ok, it is proper for that kind of use, but I am wondering if I can pull it of for all the day. There is something annoying to it after a while. Maybe it is too heartless, too noble, with no sentiment. Sophisticated yes, super classy yes, but there is something missing.... I haven;t yet made up my mind, I am testing it again today.
p.s.1 to be fair, once I smelled it for the first time, it really got me, it impressed me, it gave me the idea of a "modern shalimar", but then... Don't know maybe guerlain is not my thing after all. I am always getting excited at first and then I cannot stand guerlain's perfumes (most of them) after a few hours...
p.s.2 I wore it at work and some teenage boy said to me that something is smelling like the shower gel he used to have...that wasnt expected!!!

Jackfusion
Jackfusion

In the beginning is a vanilla, I love that statement, which surprised me because it is creamier. It reminded me a biscuit to milk. They say the original has shalimar it even more. then appear as bergamot, orange and iris in the same footprint Dior homme. From time to time appears in the vanilla again, I thought unisex, buy for sure!

chinna
chinna

I dont like very much.I am disappointed, the bottle appears to contain a less common fragrance.

Aspendina
Aspendina

Smells horrible I don't know what would posses someone to want to smell like this. There is nothing pretty about it.

OlfactoryOverload
OlfactoryOverload

All the flankers for Shalimar do not bother me. I love to sample them, because, Guerlain can make a flanker like none other.

This reminds me of Shalimar but, it seems icier and more musky. On my skin I get mostly iris, bergamot, orange, patchouli, just the smallest hint of the green notes, rose and a blast of powdery balmy musk. Many iris notes tend to go dusty smelling on my skin and this one doesn't.

It has nice lasting power on the skin and the sillage lies close to the skin making this a wonderful intimate scent. I love to wear this one to bed it's icy, yet comforting and relaxing.

ninie25
ninie25

Wonderful as Shalimar. This one is more younger, maybe because of the caramel, the vanilla and the tonka bean. I love this smell, and the iris is just so good... Iris is the "elegant touch".
It's my Shalimar for "all the days" and i put Shalimar for important moments.

aditika
aditika

This is one amazing scent that I am totally hooked to. What a beauty in a bottle. It does have a similarity to original Shalimar but still it is very different. Like its elder sister this is also a bomb. I am so in love with this scent, can't wait to own one.

Comparison between Shalimar Initial and Shalimar Initial L'eau:-

Where Initial is more thicker and denser, L'eau like its name is- light. But saying that L'eau is also a masterpiece on its own. However when you compare these two next to each other, Initial would be thicker.

If you want a light fragrance, which has good lasting power and smells unique, get L'eau. If you like young fragrance but still want a bit of maturity and complex formulation, get initial which is less citrusy (lemony to be precise). Your choice, either way you win :)

The dry down of L'Eau is light and flirty, where Initial is more complicated.

In summary both versions of Initial are AMAZING, one is more floral and another one is more citrusy (just the start).

Initial to me comes in the same category and power as Mademoiselle.

ivorywhite
ivorywhite

One of the most dreadful perfumes ever created by Guerlain. It's a Shalimar dusted and spoiled with tons of powdery sweets and earthy dirt with an eager but clumsy intention to coax candy-loving childishness to love the original perfume. For me, it is somewhat like caricaturing Mona Lisa to make people love Mona Lisa. What a laughable and futile effort! For so many candy-sweet, fruit-patchoulie perfumes we can find in market nowadays, it is not even a best among them, nothing inspiring but just a witness that Guerlain has fallen from a pioneer in the industry to a follower. However, I'd agree it makes a perfect contrast to the original that is utterly smoother and much more respectable!

Jummy
Jummy

Shalimar Parfum Initial is the very first version of Shalimar I'd ever trried on. I have never known about the original before that. Once I tried, it was the love at first sight. I then was searching information about it and the original. And that made me crazy buying decanted of all series of Shalimar as well as the vintage one. Finally, other than this wonderful Shalimar Parfum Initial, I now own 3 bottles of vintage original Sharlimar with different concentrations.

However, among all such series including the legendary original Shalimar, I love Shalimar Parfum Initial the most. It is irresistable. Its smell is so sweet and sophisicated. Because I think I can smell incense in it, it can make me imagine of a beautiful princess living in the very luxury golden palace in India.

The lasting power and silage is great. It can stay on my skin more than 8 hours. The bottle is gorgeous. I really love it!!

boruvka44
boruvka44

The most beautiful advert I`ve ever seen (photos), beautiful Natalia, beautiful flacon, but thats it for me.
Powder, caramela, musk, patchouli and licorice.
I don`t like pink marshmallow sweet fragrances and the hint of smoke in PI wont save it. I think PI is Guerlain's answer to Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle and i also find it very similar to Prada Prada and Dior Homme Intense.

malik2011
malik2011

i like it soooo much this one when clams down it gievs me the scent of a hot chick slaiva mixed with trademark lipstick ,,, completely tempting and special.

Baldric
Baldric

My husband simply cannot smell. The only perfume that I wear that he is able to identify is mitsuoko, for the most part he obligingly sniffs my wrist and says something is nice or smells like flowers even if ther aren't flowers in the composition. This morning I got up, started the coffee, let the puppy out and sprayed on a sample of shalimar initial. 15 minutes later I climb back in bed he leans into me and says "mmm you smell nice". Unprecedented, he has actually never said this unprompted. Of course being a woman, I don't want to smell "nice"' I want to smell unforgettable, amazing etc, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

I don't plan on purchasing this as I would much rather have the original, but it is a perfectly pleasant fragrance and I may try to get another sample at some point. The advantage of this over the original is that it is not instantly recognizable as shalimar is so one can have a bit of mystery about what they are wearing.

perfumereviewer

I respectfully disagree with most of you. I love Shalimar Parfum initial and I hate Shalimar. The weight of the smoke and the old old dirt in the original Shalimar made me put it at my no.1 in the dislike list. This version on the other hand is a clean sparkly Shalimar, but still Shalimar. I love it. It smells like a vanillic wood of Iris. It's an empowering smell that gives me confidence.

cikcik
cikcik

l like the original much better. Yet for those who are considering to buy this, l have it and here is my opinion: For the first minutes after spraying it, it is too harsh and citrusy, almost like lavender cologne. Then, apprxmtly 10 mnts later, it gets balmy, woody. You start to get a bit of vetiver, caramel and powder. ln time it gets more woody, you almost feel you smell a tree with resins on. A bit masculin as opposed to the original.
l strongly advice it on clean skin, in colder weather and with less action; for it does not like too warm a skin! Not for summer unless you live in a cool arid city.
Men like it more than women do.
Very long lasting on clothes, you need to wash them if you want to apply smth else.
Projection is not great but this is the kind of perfume for which you say: less is more! Let your partner want to inhale it. Great for romantic moments.

Senzadite
Senzadite

Its not bad but i tought that i wanted it because on paper it seemed a stronger version of Dior Homme Intense, but today i had the chance to try it on my skin and the initial blast did remind me of DHI but soon after a bunch of citrus and flower notes appeared and for a second also some old style of aldehides (like the ones that i hate from chanel no.5)like i said at the beggining not bad but to put it with an image: it reminded me those teenage girls that try to wear womens clothes and they overdo make up and are very immature trying too hard to please everyone. that will be a right way to describe this.

annahaener
annahaener

specially went to perfume shop today to try it. sprayed it on my wrist. regreted the second after... on my skin it smelled like an old sweet sweat, mixed with urine. had to go ladys room to wash it off...

Madame Jocelyne
Madame Jocelyne

I started wearing this version of Shalimar as I was searching for a new signature scent, but felt that the orginial Shalimar was too mature for me. After wearing Initial a few times now, I really love it and view it as a trainer perfume for those wanting to take the plunge and use the original Shalimar. My next purchase shall be SHALIMAR but Initial has been a great introduction to the brand. I also like the story and history behind Shalimar, and hope to wear it for many years to come.

asd101
asd101

I've never smelled the original shalimar but I once smelled this in a perfume shop because i was attracted to the bottle :P. It smelled too strong so i went home..soo disappointed. i Didn't notice that it had accidently sprayed on my wrist, and wondered what this beautiful smell on my way home, just to realise it was shalimar initial. I made everyone at home smell my wrist after that (he he) and they all commented that it was an amazing fragrance.

I Know some original shalimar fanatics might hate this smell and think it patronising. But I'm sure the younger generation today (like me) will appreciate this fragrance as it classy but holds the youthfulness about it. Something that is not provided by some perfumes out there today

Gold.Wolf
Gold.Wolf

I wish that things like this would stop coming out for sale; messing with Shalimar and scrubbing it completely clean so 16 year olds can wear it truly bothers me.
Messing with the original Shalimar would be like re-painting the Mona Lisa into a modern ideal of beauty.
Shalimar is SUPPOSED to be dirty and in your face; this is not at all like the original, not even close.
A lady in Shoppers Drug Mart sprayed this on me without even asking (I was already wearing the original Shalimar pure perfume) and exclaimed; "Isn't this the sexiest, muskiest, dirtiest and wonderfully warm and yummy perfume you ever smelled?"
Needless to say, I said no it most certainly wasn't and then I thanked the lovely lady for causing me to go home and shower the sickly cloying smell of this pitiful attempt at Shalimar.
Definitely not my cup of tea, but if you want a scrubbed down, squeaky clean, disgustingly powdery, and totally lacking of spice, glamour and depth perfume that's just called Shalimar; then it's definitely something to try.

pacciosa
pacciosa

Adoro i profumi, ormai ne ho tantissimi, ma la mia curiosità mi porta a sentirne sempre di nuovi e scoprire così nuovi amori: l'ultimo di questi è Shalimar Parfum Initial EDP, è meraviglioso, stupendo, dolcissimo, buonissimo, caldo, coccoloso, confortevole, giovane e moderno ma anche classico...non mi vengono più aggettivi! Io amo Shalimar classico, e questo lo ricorda fin dalla prima annusata, ma senza quel qualcosa di acre e di civet che un pò disturba all'inizio, Initial è splendido dal principio alla fine, dura molte ore, lo senti vicino alla pelle così naturale e sofisticato: un capolavoro!!!
ps ho annusato anche Initial l'Eau, ma è troppo agrumato e non mi è piaciuto per niente.
Grazie sempre per le vostre recensioni che mi spingono a curiosare in profumeria e a scoprire queste meraviglie
Dopo una settimana che lo indosso, confermo che è stupendo, un profumo buonissimo da giovane donna

arnela
arnela

nothing but fragrance industry, this fragrance shouldnt wear name Shalimar. There is nothing like real Shalimar and they should leave it as it is. Cant all be money.

I agree to Cinsot in
EVERY
SINGLE
WORD.
Nothing more can be told.
Dear friend, you rule!

greydove
greydove

Started out cute enough. You get the typical lemony- vanilla DNA of the original with hints of leather. Then it became a little candyish, you can definitiely smell the caramel maybe even a little smoky, burnt sugar. At one point, the musty, old library smell of the original peeked through and I thanked Wasser for not straying too far away from Shalimar's roots. Finally... it smelled like a foot :) To be sure, it was the foot of an 18th century courtesan aged about 16, but its a foot nonetheless. Very kinky ;)

g&t
g&t

I really liked it for the first 30 mins or so when it was warm, with a heavy vanilla aroma. It then faded on my skin to a sickly scent which almost made me feel ill. Such a shame, because I wanted to adore it. It just does not agree with my skin and body chemistry.

jventura489
jventura489

I tried this recently and I have to say this is really beautiful! I wish I could purchase this, it is absolutely delectable and is on my wish list for winter...Absolutely LOVE!

This one does not go along with my skin at all, Absolutely Uack, Sharp, edgy and unpleasant. Dissapointed. After 2 hours I couldn't smell it at all om my skin. A not-buy.

Denna funkar inte alls med min hudtyp. Den blir skarp, obehaglig och inom 2 timmar hade den försvunnit helt.

SYLeung
SYLeung

Try twice, still nasty on skin chemistry....

misskaylapaige
misskaylapaige

It's nice, but not what I expected... I expected more sweetness and woodiness. On my skin this is MASSIVELY citrusy. The top notes are coming through a lot more than I would like... the other notes are there, but kinda hiding in the background. If the citrus would die down and allow the other notes to shine I would be IN LOVE.

I'm not getting much powderiness at all, it's almost as if the Iris is not existent. I can BARELY smell the vanilla...

The Rose note is very prominent for me, and in a way this perfume reminds me of Narciso Rodriguez for Her with LOTS of citrus thrown into the mix.

tuturab
tuturab

I am in love & lust!! Beautiful scent stays close to your skin pure pleasure when I wear this.

KimmiKenai
KimmiKenai

I've been told that I smell like sugared almonds when I wear this, which can't be a bad thing.
I love it's powdery notes, though it can be quite heady

angel6
angel6

I have a love/hate relationship with this perfume.
I like the opening, then I can smell patchouli, and this ruin everything. I never liked Coco Mademoselle for the same reason, patchouli is all that I can smell in my clothes next day.

mystica
mystica

Very similar to Shalimar's classic EDT. However, for a strange reason I feel the temptation to shower myself with this top to toe. (Something I wouldn't do with a Guerlain for various reasons...) Is it the bottle, or the formulation, God knows:)
Recommended.

id
id

Very sugary (far too sweet for me) opening, too much vanilla on my skin which together with iris and vetiver makes this scent smell somehow leathery dirty even I like leather note a lot. After a while the scent becomes mild and powdery, quite nice but original Shalimar "sounds" so much better with my skin chemistry.

sehaman
sehaman

Everyone is loving this - and I thought that I would, too. But on me, this smells like Cotton Candy dunked in Bug Spray. It's really sweet and medicinal. Shame.

jackgirl
jackgirl

this is absolutely beautiful.
great iris/vanilla/patchouli combination.
never liked the original shalimar but love this one.
unfortunately it has so poor longevity.
fortunately, the body lotion has the same amazing fragrance and it lasts for the whole day.

What's NOT to say about this perfume? Initial has it all! It's powdery, earthy, gourmand, vanilla, musky, fruity, highly sophisticated. I guess the only thing I don't smell is flowers. That's ok, I still love this perfume madly. I can't wear the classic Shalimar. At times I think Initial is nothing like Shalimar, but then I catch a whiff of Shalimar's essence as I go about my day. The only thing "wrong" with this fragrance is that I wish it was stronger. It's nowhere near the potency of its namesake. I don't know what I'm complaining about though, since I can smell it on myself for hours if I spray a lot, but I want MORE MORE MORE!!! Can you blame me? This stuff's delicious!

But I guess the strength of it is just right so that you won't be walking down the street with a bullhorn obnoxiously shouting, "I'm wearing Shalimar Initial!" It leaves just enough to keep others guessing, to remain mysterious, to remain intimate.

perfumelover4u
perfumelover4u

Unique, soft and not cloyingly sweet, still powdery but less antiquated...incredible! Thierry Wasser is fast becoming a favorite nose!!!

ALaM
ALaM

This one smells like.....black jelly beans. Which I like..but I'm surprised the notes yield no licorice or anise. I like this perfume, however. It's different and original.

Lushylori
Lushylori

I found this to be a strange & unique scent but some how I liked it.
I like It better than The Origanal Shalimar because its more woody and less powdery.
One day I hope to own this one :)

fanciful
fanciful

On me it smells mostly like bug spray. I love the warmth and woods in the background, but the prominent bug spray effect is suffocating.

Cindykaul
Cindykaul

I’m attracted by this legend love story before smelling this fragrant, fortunately I’m quite happy to have it. Definitely this is not for daily use perfume, the opening is very woody and dry even if you will say a bit “ expired bottle”
It’s really take times let you feel each stage of falcon, from Iris, Lily, jasmine until to touch the base of Vanilla, very essential and concentration of each movement. You need someone who is very close to your skin to feel it, need time and patience to go deeply in the heart of this perfume, I though that not everyone will appreciated it.
The most expensive bottle, but I guess worth it, this is like true love, price is not a issue….. the most important is you do have it , or you had it .

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

Shalimar Parfum Initial is a very-very strange fragrance on me. I will start by saying that even though it reminds me of the original Shalimar, the resemblance is fairly remote.

Parfum Initial manages to change so many times on my skin during the day, that I would rather call it Parfum Chameleon (than Parfum Initial). At first it smells like Shalimar (the original), but then in transforms into something sugary-powdery, which makes me think of Flowerbomb by V&R. And then patchouli strikes and it changes once again. And that vanilla iris part also reminded me of Dior Homme. Later, other fragrance associations crossed my mind (Gaultier 2, is that you??)

In the end, it began to smell a bit dirty (again, I think it's patchouli to blame).

Nevertheless, I do like this, although, probably less than the original Shalimar. Not bad.

aschiffm
aschiffm

i was really expecting to love this perfume because it has all my favorite notes and i was looking forward to what sounded like a softer version of shalimar (i love shalimar for everyday wear and was looking for a more femininte/romantic version in this) but there was something that did not blend right at all, might just be how it mixed with my chemistry but it just STANK. i was embarrassed to go back to work and did not get too close to anyone in fear they would smell this harshness. it was not the subtle feminine version of shalimar that i had hoped. definitely test before you buy, it is a mess.

FreyaMarie
FreyaMarie

Warm, woodsy, spicy, smoky, powdery sweet vanilla goodness. Yes.

This has to be the ultimate winter scent! The green opening notes are a little harsh, but they only last for seconds on me. They are then followed by a sweet, powdery, spicy warmth, with a pleasant hint of wood which effectively stops the scent from being too sickly or gourmandy.

The original Shalimar is way too heavy for me, but this one is a completely different story. Right now, we're down to -26 degrees Celsius (-15F) where I live, and this perfume definitely comes to its own in the cold.

Rola
Rola

I love this perfume,but i'll not buy it :/
Because the lasting power :(it's not like what i expected

acv43
acv43

whilst wandering around the fragrance counter of a department store i spotted this bottle and was instantly intrigued. The bottle is absolutely beautiful, it looks like something that belongs in the design of a Hermes scarf, something i value, because in my opinion, if you are going to pay $70+ for a fragrance it damn well better come in a pretty bottle! lol
I sprayed the fragrance on a tester strip and my fascination deepened, it smelled like exotic spices, like an Arabian princess crossing warm desert sands. I wandered around the store like a mad woman holding the sample to my nose. So i bestowed the highest honor one can bestow upon a department store fragrance...i tried it on my wrist.
....it was like a musk-fist was punching me repeatedly in the face, it was SO STRONG! It may be that i have strange body chemistry but this smelled nothing like what it did on the tester, which is a shame because i really liked it. Eventually, after about 3 hours the scent calmed down into something warm, spicy, and enjoyable.. unfortunately the initial musk overload is too much for my tastes

I must say this scent gets and 11/10 for staying power, even after hours of wear and scrubbing my wrist with soap i could still smell it!

this scent did not work for me, however I can see it working for other women, perhaps more mature women, or those whom like musk...and like i said GORGEOUS bottle, wish it had worked out for me!

on second thought, i've never experienced such a perfume with tremendous staying power (even the original shalimar doesn't cling to me like that). and i HATE how i seem to absorb fragrances, even ones that are supposed to be strong.
i'm going to try this again...

Hilaire
Hilaire

OK so I've been wearing this for a few days now, and I have to say that's because I keep being subconsciously drawn back to it. My first wearing was... puzzling. I could smell the baby-powder/crayons and blowsiness which then seemed to be replaced by the strident smoky vanilla of Shalimar (which I love) after about an hour.

But the last few times I've worn this have been completely different. The sense that this was two perfumes bolted together has gone, and that's primarily because of a the Leather-ish or Suede-like quality which holds this whole edifice together.

It starts with the sweetest, most silvery Iris, which is quickly accompanied by the caramel but never allowed to become gourmand. The Drydown is composed of the persistence of the Iris with Patchouli and Tonka and more Caramel with something giving it all a tang, perhaps this is the Vetyver or the Aldehydes. The effect is of a subtly sweet Iris/Leather accord.

The leatheriness continues into the further phases of development, and now the Vanilla comes to the fore, but not in quite so obvious a manner as I noticed at first. There's smokiness in this phase, and the old Shalimar character asserts itself. Again this phase is kept zingy and alive by Aldehydes and Vetyver but less so.

The base does descend into Caramel/Tonka/Vanilla having finally divested itself of all trace of Iris or Patchouli. However once again I'm still feeling this Leather feel even many hours after having first applied.

I'm surprised this is viewed as a very feminine perfume, and I agree with another reviewer who saw a strong similarity between this and Dior Homme Intense. I think this (despite the pinkness and froo-froo bottle) could easily and comfortably be worn by a man.

The longevity is not quite as impressive as I expected, and the sillage is politely modest while remaining enough to envelope one for a considerable period of time.

I think this is a very beautiful perfume, which surprises one with its sophistication and complexity.

Jellybean
Jellybean

love this version much better! powdery, balmy, smokey, vintage and elegant scent. Simply amazing. Purchase coming up!

limbaeck
limbaeck

It is a lot like the original Shalimar just on a lower, milder tone, maybe more appropriate for daytime/spring and that what I would use it for with pleasure if it wasn't for the first 10-15 minutes of sufferance when I spray it on...I can't take that glue kind of smell so I guess it is not going on my wish list...
So basically I think if you are OK with the starting notes then it is really enjoyable.

krmarich
krmarich

I sampled this on paper just because it was there. Its bottle is beautiful with luscious pink perfume inside. I am generally not a fan of Guerlain/LVMH of the past decade. They had literally destroyed so many classics. Was Shalimar next?

I gave a spray and yes, its still Shalimar. However its just another flanker. A good one, but never a replacement. Just what is this flanker? There is no lemon and the opening wrestled with my nose for about 5 minutes. Then it became Shalimar that I have known and loved since childhood.

Its more powdery than the original! Yes MORE. The florals come forward amid lots of orris. POWDERY! There is a peculiar "carrot" note in there throughout the entire composition.

Shalimar's name means sexy. It can be a skin scent if used carefully. This is very loud and might appeal to a younger audience. Its reasonably priced. If you love the original, you will like this.

Cams
Cams

I really tried to like this one - I really did. I stood in the department store with my friend (who said "nope" right off) for about 45 mins willing myself to "get it". I gave up. I don't care for the original Shalimar either (although I respect the fact that I'm in the minority).
Oh well.

JohnMc
JohnMc

A thing of rich, delicate beauty. Not so much sexy as reflective of the color of the fragrance; light pink bordering on coral - soft, delicate, soothing and captivating. I bought this for my girlfriend who thankfully really likes this particular version of Shalimar.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

When I first sprayed this on my skin, I got a brief, short opening burst that smelled like licorice and mint (yes, I know there is nothing like that on the list of notes). Then, unfortunately, it developed into a vague fruity-floral, one of the many that have been released over that past couple of years. There was nothing here to remind me of the original version, and nothing that would make me purchase this or try it again.

Tovah
Tovah

For most of my life I rarely wore florals. Orientals were, by far, my favorite fragrance family, and any floral I wore was a floral-Oriental. It's puzzling (yet fun) to me that the past few fragrances I've purchased and loved are florals, but each time I found a new scent to wear, my goal in testing fragrances had been to find a new Oriental for my wardrobe. Therefore, I was so excited about Parfum Initial! The first time I encountered it I was in the Guerlain Boutique in EPCOT (Disney Florida)in July. It was pouring, crashing rain, and sticky-hot, and Initial felt like putting on a cashmere sweater. Howwever, Initial seemed to evaporate after its immediate hug, so I knew I needed to test it in better conditions. I waited until Autumn to try Initial again, here in my home city, and I can't emphasize enough how frustrated I am, either with my nose, my chemistry, or the earth's atmosphere in general. I should LOVE this fragrance. I've admired Shalimar my entire life (as long as its not on my skin, where it inevitably turns musty) and I've wanted a Shalimar of my own ever since I can remember. So I've tried Initial several times...and each time, the predominant note is a strange plastic-ish note that reminds me of a lipstick case melting in a hot car. It makes me mad, and rather horrified at my nose and/or my skin. The new Shalimar bottle is lovely. In any case, this doesn't smell much like the original Shalimar to me, except in very slight hints, and it doesn't smell good on my skin. My search for new Orientals continues, but I suspect with all the crazy new materials regulations, we'll never again experience the depth we once experienced from Oriental perfumes.

Mad-Lainey
Mad-Lainey

I am confused as the opening smells to me like a slice of a freshly baked carrot cake.
Yup. Nothing more, nothing less.
I know how ridiculous it sounds but this is my first thought when I spray SPI.
Then, it turns into more oriental vanilla; iris and caramel are getting more and more prominent on me as the day goes by.
Shalimar Parfum Initial has outstanding longetivity and silage.
Very much noticeable for the first 6 hours.
Then, becomes a little closer to my skin for the next 5 hours or so.
The bottle is lovely and so is the juice.
The only perplexing thing is that opening stage which literally makes me laugh.
Carrot cake...where does that association come from I have no bloody idea :-)

birdy
birdy

powdery like all new modern powdery fragrances with too much patchouli, but still a good guerlain product!!!smoky like shalimar, less vanilla than shalimar with this modern touch of patchouli! there is what initial is.

maruge62
maruge62

The opening is a little harsh I cant tell which notes I smell. I love the dry down, warm, sweet, vanilla and caramel notes prevail. It smells of candy on my skin, it reminds me of Jimmy Choo and Flowerbomb when it dries down. Love it, though not very long lasting..., at least on my skin...

Dick Turpin Esq
Dick Turpin Esq

I bought this for Mother this Christmas - after I challenged her about using my Habit Rouge (the 1965 Gents frag from Guerlain). Often times I would notice my Habit Rouge had reduced and sought to track down and apprehend the culprit. Over the course of 5 minutes I followed the waft of vanilla and lo and behold 'twas my own sweet Mama that had been dousing herself and her clothes in her son's signature scent. I found this not only highly irritating, but also disconcerting. Therefore I tasked her with finding a substitute which she duly did in this Shalimar Initial, given that it has some of the flavour of Habit Rouge to it. Please note; I do NOT live with my Mother. I am NOT some kind of paranoid Norman Bates fragrance nerd who obsessively checks his Habit Rouge and blames his poor newly retired Mother for thievin'. Merry Christmas!

dina
dina

First ten minutes, all I can get was a sharp glue "UHU-like" note. Then, God knows how, it metamorphoses into a a sweet caramel-ey smell that I've encountered zillion times before.

I agree with all the previous reviewers about quantity taking over quality, no to mention the extremely high price.

Sorry, this one is a disappointment, though I'm a real Guerlain girl...

lily13ana
lily13ana

if it would not be so expensive it would become my new signature scent, but the price is to high for me. I like this more than shalimar because it doesn't have that alchoolik drink smell at the beginning. It is very very long lasting.
Edit 30.09 .After the last test I decided this is not for me. At first it smells good but then it turns to something fecal

miriel
miriel

The opening is a little harsh but other than that the fragrance is amazing. I love the dry down, so warm and sweet. Very high-quality fragrance with great sillage and superbe longevity.
Thunbs up!!

PenelopeLA
PenelopeLA

I forget how lovely this perfume is.

I have a few fragrances that I try to rotate evenly. I had not worn Shalimar Initail in a few weeks. When I was getting dressed to go out last night I grabbed the Shalimar Initial. I love the initial sharpness, but then this fragrance just settles into a beautiful soft, but fragrant iris.

I look forward to wearing this frequently from now on, so I don't forget the loveliness.

Nikka Miró
Nikka Miró

I experienced this days and didn't like. When the seller esborrifou perfume, my first reaction was to depart the nostrils. I felt some mighty fine spice, something like pepper with orange peel. Don't get me ruffled.Refers to a large Indian market of spices, I did not find sexy. The bottle is wonderful!

However, it is a matter of taste. Aconse-lho to try it, suddenly have a different opinion.

Hugs

valarian
valarian

I love Shalimar and have a beautiful 1960 formulation which I adore and wouldn't swap for anything so I was a definite sceptic when the hype regarding Initial started to filter through. I will admit as much as I was expecting a weak excuse for an ok perfume bolted onto the back of one of the greats when I tried it I was pleasantly surprised. In my opinion they have managed to get this just right, whilst displaying subtle but undeniably recognisable Shalimar traits this has a life of its own. For me Initial fills a gap. On those days when I feel like a hit of Shalimar but I'm not quite up to the task Initial is just less demanding. If I likened both to a pair of shoes then Shalimar would be the unforgiving towering stilettos and Initial would be the kitten heels, still sexy but a more comfortable alternative. 10/10 love it.

cinsot
cinsot

Parfum Initial is indeed a close relative of the exquisitely elusive Shalimar worthy of recognition and praise in its own right as a stand alone fragrance in my opinion.

I am glad my capacity to perceive is not hindered by an incessant compulsion to compare this to that. Sure we all do it at times but sometimes we can throw the baby out with the bath water when we obsess about the original inspiration for a current version.

Moving on. May I commence my review by stating THIS is heavenly. Fairy princess heavenly!

SPI opens with the best powdery vanilla parts of Shalimar EDP then morphs into a glucose jellybean centre aroma inciting joyous innocence far removed from the daily grind.

I adore this aspect of Shalimar Parfum Initial. Its hazy efflorescence is sooo comforting.

After bouncing buoyantly in jellybean land my mind, body and soul are taken on an excursion through Thierry Wasser's creative genius. This Nose has stayed loyal to the brand without plagiarising it and enhanced the centerpiece theme with flair and confidence.

Some may be tempted to describe this feat as diluting it somewhat to make it more accessible to a younger demographic. Maybe? Who cares? I certainly don't.

My nose does not care for marketing strategies, only smell and Shalimar Parfum Initial smells wonderful!

spoombung
spoombung

I'm a fan of the original Shalimar (the very personification of French perfumery and a culture in itself) and I must say, I was quite skeptical about this new release and didn't quite know what to expect. It therefore gives me great pleasure to say it smells beautiful.

The astonishing oily complexity of the original Shalimar base has been tempered and simplified somewhat and a lovely rosy, powdery quality now resides in the top notes along with something sweet and vaguely fruity.

Okay, it's not as complex, mysterious or multifaceted as the original but it is a successful modernization that might win Guerlain some younger fans. I like it.

pisces3774
pisces3774

Hhhmmm. First of all, let me say that I LOVE the original Shalimar. I've had it in the past, when younger, and didn't appreciate it. I have recently had a new-found adoration for it. But this Initial... I really liked it "initially," but after about an hour, I'm a little disappointed. I thought that this was a lovely side note to the original, perhaps unique and worthy to stand alongside it's stately vintage cousin, but the dry down is becoming a little more of what's typical in fragrance currently - dangerously close to a floral/fruity/oriental. On a lighter note, I do think it's worthy of being a cousin of Shalimar, the two smell similar in the initial phases to me. I would test it again, however, to make sure that my assessment is consistent.

karisma2011
karisma2011

To start with, i hate, hate, hate Shalimar! It gives me a headache and i smell worse than my granny.
However, I decided to give this one a go the other day in Debenhams. I was looking for a vanilla basenote and the shop assistant pointed in its direction. Bottle looked much better, pinkish not sickly yellow and the blue tassel added an elegant Arabic touch (the name of Shalimar was ALL i ever liked in the original perfume).
Well, trying this was love at first...smell! Absolutely gorgeous, very sofisticated and special, and on my skin it has a very nice leathery smell. Very recognizable!
Was so chuffed with my new discovery i ended up buying the gift set (40ml perfume and body lotion) at a bargain price of £37!
I would recommended to any sex siren over there!:))

Aroussa

ADCount is so right. I have been adoring the Dior Homme fragrances for ages, stopping at the Dior counter to inhale them and to imagine that if a man that smelled like Dior Homme put his arms around me, I'do anything, anything... And now I don't have to imagine. I have my own fragrance that gives me that strong warm plesure feeling, and I don't need to have a man to get it. Perfecto!

Windy
Windy

Tried it today and while it is OK - in my opinion, it doesn't hold a candle to the original Shalimar..not even close. I'll keep my money for something old and amazing or something truly new- not a diluted version.

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

I own both and I'm sorry but other than the color of the juice I see hardly any similarities between Shalimar Initial and Coco Mademoiselle

Here I am : I finally tested it ! ^^

The top notes are quite similar to our Adored Original one.
But, soon, there is something that was intriguing my nose, like some kind of "pine" note : I guess that's because of the green notes they added to the Original citrus top notes.

What about the heart notes, well, I was quite surprised : that sort of "pine" note kept disturbing me but the way the fragrance evolves remembered me of something I already sniffed before.
Vetiver made his entrance, enhancing that green "pine" note that I don't really like.

And here we are, oh yes, I put my finger on it : "Coco Mademoiselle" is in the place !!
I can definitely see why : looking at the notes, you will notice that both fragrances share a lot of notes.
They are indeed constructed the same way : soft (but not sweet)citrus top notes, soft and common floral heart notes (rose, jasmine) and the same taming down(vetiver, patchouli) and soft powdery notes (vanilla, Tonka bean).

But "Shalimar Initial" has a softer drydown than "Coco Mademoiselle" : I can smell soft talcum notes, not unpleasant (I guess it's the association of Tonka bean and vanilla). But these soft talcum notes are tamed down in comparison of the luxurious and glorious Original ones : I think that's the effect of the caramel note (don't get me wrong : I do adore sugary and sweet notes).
But, again, "Coco Mademoiselle" is still there around the corner.

To conclude, what came to my mind quite quickly is that this "Initial" version of the Queen Shalimar is a Shalimar that wanna be Shalimar but that does not really succeed in it since it is too faraway from the Original one and way too similar to "Coco Mademoiselle" : not a bad fragrance but not what you would expect a Shalimar to be. They could have chosen an other name for it, but not "Shalimar".
Unlike "Eau de Shalimar", which pays tribute to the Original but has at the same time its own character.

Last but not least, I happened to see the advertisement of "Initial" on the television and found it rude : a naked young lady !!!!
I mean, come on, a little bit of respect : it's Shalimar, steady on !!!!

In a few words, I would say that if "Initial" is not for itself a bad fragrance (by no way is it repulsive), it is definitely not what you would expect something called "Shalimar" to be : its huge similarity with "Coco Mademoiselle" (during the heart notes stage, I nearly find them to be twins !!!!:-O And that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the color of the juices !! LOL !!) is disappointing and I can defintely catch the way this version is directed to "easy" customers.
Hoping we are not gonna smell this version of "Shalimar" at every corner, worn in a way that would make the Original one feel ashamed ....
"Initial" is to "Shalimar" exactly what "Mademoiselle" is to "Coco", positive and negative features all included ....

Trvevil
Trvevil

I do not really like flankers or versions. This time, although, I think this Parfum Initial is quite good, modernized Shalimar. I believe vintage was the best of course, and I am really hurt by reformulations and note restrictions. As to, so many wonderful gems I haven't tried. Well, I tried Shalimar, that we all can find in stores nowadays and even wrote an award winning review :D
So. This basically [notewise] is far from the original, however they tried to make it Guerlain and hit into form of a-like. It doesn't have cedar/bergamot top instead, It was soft creamy bergamot. It wasn't too citrusy, but grassy. In fact it smelled similar to Acqua di Parma bergamot cream. As time goes by, this time top lasts pretty long time too if compare to other modern fragrances. Composition expands with some floral notes, iris and I clearly catch caramel.

Lasting power is great and it kind of has really good sillage. It fills all the room.

~Great fragrance that deserves to be a permanent version alongside original.

Lil Mju
Lil Mju

At first I didn't like it... But then I understood this is one of the best scents ever made. It can only be a hit or a miss: a classy and really amazing, one-of-a-kind woman would really rock this. Powdery but still really fresh, seducement in a bottle. Sort of like a freak in a good way: really weird, but that's the main idea.. give it a try!

Update: I didn't even mark it as 'love', 'like' or 'dislike' because your skin's chemistry is very important here. The scent is really watered down, and it only makes an amazing impression when mixed with someone's skin and smelling nice! :) So I can also state that this is a very personal scent.

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

oooooh WOW, I just mixed 'Initial' with Mariah's 'M', adding some smokey incence, marshmellow,a little more patchouli, tiare flower, and gardenia.. ...and WOWZERZ!! we have LiftOff!!!! beautiful

sooo basically we have shalimar, minus the citrus lemon and organge... taken away a little bit of rose and jasmine(but barely) vanilla, have added marshmellow, tiare flower and gardenia... idk.. but I like this better than the original shalimar as well as shalimar 'initial'

I'm going to purchase a really cool vintage bottle and package this stuff :D

It feels like Shalimar edp but a slightly more playful version :D

I'll keep the exact amounts of the mix..my secret.. so no one will have the same exact one, lol

Shalimar Initial is an interesting version of Shalimar.
Before testing I wonder if there was any need for a "new" Shalimar.
After testing I thought it's a good thing.
I'm a long time admirer of Shalimar, but Shalimar doesn't behave as a sweetie on my skin.
Parfum Initial starts on my skin in a completely different way, brighter but rounder and more fruity. Then it settles down and it definetely recalls original Shalimar, maybe it is Shalimar.
Another mystery from Guerlain: not the same, not entirely another one.
The scent itself is very pleasant, powdery, fruity with some floral notes.
It's longlasting and for sure it doesn't lack the typical complexity of the Guerlains, but made more approachable.
I would have liked to smell it on another chemistry, but it's impossible to spray this on my bf. I cannot hold him still!
On my chemistry after 1 hour or more it settles down to that typical familiar smells of Shalimar: headshop incense stick. Not a bad thing, if you like the kind.
It makes me smell like a rich hippie gypsy future-teller with a crystal ball, LOL!
And at the same time it is modern and wearable and maybe also winks at Burlesque type with feather and the rest.
Definetely interesting and a must try.
Compared to original is much less musty. Not lighter in intensity, but rounder on the angles.
If Shalimar smells pungent or musty on you, try Parfum Initial.

chowchow41
chowchow41

It opens with green notes and the orange very fresh. The orris kicks in and gives its powdery touch. When it dry's down the caramel and tonkabean combine with musk. Its stayingpower on my skin is 6 hours. Its not girly but freshly sweet and its a joy to wear it. I love it and recommend it.

Aredore
Aredore

I love the original Shalimar, so I thought I would try Initial.

Honest verdict: It smells a bit like Tresor.

In regards to the old Shalimar, the "underside of his mistress" aspect of Guerlain fragrances has has been removed and been replaced with a peachy frutiyness. Thick, powdery iris stands in for oriental resins. The vanilla/citrus aspect remains the same and Wasser has thankfully refrained from cleaning up the bitterness of the citrus or reputed impurity of the vanilla grade. The result is a fragrance that is much more complicated and effortlessly sophisticated than the vast majority of fragrances aimed at my contemporaries.

Long wearing, smoky and syrupy sweet in equal measure, slightly bitter with massive silage. Great.

But the old dame is still better.

Terese2
Terese2

I just adore the big nasty original Shalimar, but you have to put on microscopic amounts to avoid forcing everyone in to room to smell you. Shalimar Initial (after the first 5 minutes) is much more polite.

It starts out with a brief explosion of peach/grass/citrus/spices but quickly tamps down and does not dominate the air space. After 30 min. it is very much Shalimar's kin. Inital has the same yummy vanilla wafting around bergamot and incense, it just lacks that abrasive tang that many liken to toilet bowl cleaners. Inital has the complexity of the original without the "In Yo Face" quality. It is sweeter, less intrusive.

OK, here's the test: If you order white wine because you don't want your teeth to stain, Initial might be your scent. If you drink red wine and don't care about your red teeth (or even if your bra strap shows) it's Shalimar - straight up and original.

CozyCat

faceon, my grandma smells more beautiful to me than any man-made perfume :p

But to be honest, I'd wear Youth Dew, and quite happily too, before I wear this one. This one really does smell like traditional hair/beauty-oils that old-ladies and traditional village girls use in the East, it's not a bad thing, I just find it weird, and somewhat amusing to find that sort of scent bottled, refined, 'vanilla-ized' and sold for alot of money. I have a hunch that those 'grandmas' or great-grandmas, actually unknowingly inspired the formula for the original Shalimar back in the day.

Now how is that being critical :D

CozyCat

I'm simply not a fan. I don't hate it, but it smells like some of those cheap traditional hair oils you buy from Middle Eastern or Indian bazaars, warm and oily herb-y-floral smell, mixed in with alot of vanilla here. Where I'm from old ladies' hair smell like this (minus vanilla), and whether it smells good or not is not the point...I just personally would never want to smell like that even if I got a bottle for free...it's just too weird. I have never tried the original Shalimar, but if it's a stronger version of this, it probably smells more like a bazaar and Middle Eastern grandmothers than this one...I imagine that could actually be very appealing and exotic to adventurous noses out there, but not for me. Pro: Longevity is excellent.

magda14012

I tried it a couple of times and aquired the taste for it. I cannot wear the original, as it if suffocating me. This version is fresher, more citrusy, lighter and crispy. The longer I wear it th more I want. It is seductive and innocent. There are some echos of the original Shalimar, but it is modern version. Maybe as in case of Chanel 5 Premiere, it is addressed to those who are not ready for the big bang of original versions.
Definetely worth a try, lasts approx 10 hours on my skin.

Jini
Jini

I had a strange experience with this one, it dries down to smell like burnt butter on my skin. But this may not be of much relevance to all of you because the 'real' Shalimar also turns strange on me. I'll have to stick to other classics like Samsara

spookyjan
spookyjan

I ordered this wanting it to be a softer version of the wonderfull shalimar..it is no way in comparison to the original,it is a light version an my skin drinks it in an within the hour i cant even smell it on myself,never mind anyone else hoping to catch a whiff.I dont like these similiar perfumes to the original.The original shalimar is in a class of its own, i was glad i only bought the sample of this.I wont be buying a full bottle.

Allinug

Shalimar and Shalimar Initial. Not to offend anyone...if you like one you will like the other...no not me and maybe not others either.

I love the original Shalimar but I can't stand this one. I bought it without smell it first, I wish I had. In the beginning it smells a little of Shalimar but after that it's just strong, sweet and cloying, nothing like Shalimar at all. I sold my bottle.

My opinion...try Shalimar Initial before you buy it.

Ohkit
Ohkit

While the original Shalimar, though sexy, is somewhat intoxicating and headache-inducing; this one preserves the luxurious scent that made Shalimar a hit, but is lighter, more playful and versatile. It's the perfect fragrance for a younger woman, enigmatic and confident.

akats
akats

Recently, I tried both the original Shalimar in one hand and the Initial on the other, so as to decide which one to buy. The comparison was hard. Very very hard to decide. Well, Initial was fruity, sweet, while original Shalimar after 10 miniutes became smoky and very leathery. I waited for half an hour so as to dry down and compare again, and the impression was the same. Fruits and vanilla on one hand, leather and vanilla on the other. I bought the Initial, because it was an easy choice to wear it on the office, but I am sure, that soon I buy the original one too, for my evenings... Yes, I beleive there are common middle notes to these perfumes. So, If you like one, you will like the other too. The Initial on my skin, was not so sweet and candy. I smell peach, aricot, orange, patcouli and vanilla.

loveperfumes
loveperfumes

Really classy is the way how they shook old Shalimar carpets and presented smth piquant: the less I care about the original one, the more I like the old-fashioned feeling about the new one. Actually, that's what makes it outstanding and exclusive in the market: it doesn't smell similar to any newcomers and seems unique, more like one of a kind rather than dated.
Firstly, it's a bit strange - read 'unpredictable' but at least interesting. Then it turns into smth powerful and familiar (the old Shalimar kind of projection). And finally the drydown is a bit edgy yet sensual pleasure (some ingredient of a Greek 'Fresh line' bath ball is there).
Definitely not for everyone, but, as stakes are high, with the right chemistry jackpot the impression it can give is the sophisticated 'wow'.

nebeska
nebeska

Two of my colleagues almost choked when they approached me and opened the windows immediately. And I didn't put much on my skin at all! I guess it's too heavy on my skin.

Addicted!!!

&lla
&lla

I absolutely agree with the review below me that this is like a better version of Prada Candy! I absolutely love it! I find it extremely wearable. At first I didn't think much of it, but then I found I was craving the scent. Luckily I had another sample so I re-assessed my initial thoughts. I'm not very good at describing notes, but on my skin this is sort of a fresh caramel floral, with beautiful sillage and great staying power. I definitely get the Dior Homme comparison (which is good cos I've always loved Dior Homme)This is going to be my next purchase hopefully. It's definitely signature-worthy. Very classy and just different enough to stand out from the crowd.

kittymoon
kittymoon

I like it a lot! It first smells like my Grandma's lipstick. Then slightly smokey but sweet, not sharp like the original version. Less complicated and grown up. I would say it's a sweet floral which turns into a musky, rosy sweet amber when it dries down, like a better version of Prada Candy (if PC had any strength). The woman I picture when I smell it, wears pin up make up, bob cut blonde hair, a blouse with pussy bow, wide leg trousers and high heels and her moves are elegant, a bit like in slow motion...
I tried it this morning and it's now 8h later and I can still smell it on my hand. I think that's going to be my next signature scent! :)

SheShe
SheShe

I am not into fragrances like classic Shalimar: I hasn't even tried it, reading about its notes and reading reviews saying about strong leather note (I dislike leather).

Today I've tried Shalimar Parfum Initial. My first thought was: "I'm glad I haven't bought it!" but then... I must admit, the perfume isn't my style, but it is very, very good. And now I suppose that Kate Moss was inspired by one of Shalimars in promoting "Velvet Hour".

Shalimar started kind of light and with noticeable note of caramel, then it started to get more power and became very powerful. After about more than half of an hour I started to sniff smoke. All the time I can sniff something like a leather note, but thankfully it isn't leather like in Kelly Caleche, it's softer.There'a also vetiver, patchouli (but in a good measure), iris, tonka bean and musk detectable, orange too. Overall feeling is dark, sweet, smokey, even a bit dark cranberry-like, more oriental than floral chypre. Better for night, during day it makes me feel a bit dirty. Makes an impression. It's GUERLAIN, I mean a brand that makes really excellent, classy fragrances and it doesn't let me down again.

I'm surprised actually that this Shalimar made such a good impression on me! Thumbs must be up! I won't be wearing this because of the leather but it really makes an impression and is well done.

Bottle: kind of niche, I don't like it, but it fits what's inside.
Projection: good.

P.S. I can't stop sniffing my hand :D
P.S. 2. In the end I got tired and uncomfy by the fragrance... not my cup of tea but it will find many fans.

jazmam
jazmam

oh wow, what can I say, I absolutely adore this perfume! There really isn't anything like it in the market right now, nothing that it reminds me of too much. It does have an initial strong blast of iris, and I swear my sniffer picks up a licorice note that later tames down it's such an amazing scent.

And although I do pick up iris, it almost reminds me of Juliete has a gun's 'not a perfume', there is something in this this that is highly addictive, and with it's ever soft floral it really just grabs me, and wont let go

I think this is such a brilliant classic all on it's own.

To Theirry, I love you, nearly every parfume you creat I find to be irresistable! And 'Initial' is no exception. This might just be my new signature scent! I love it that much, and how refreshing tofind this gem at my local mall and to not smell a thing at all like it's mass marketed, copy cat neighbors.....

What I also love about this, is that it's simple but not too simple, simple enough to layer with other perfumes but complex enough to stand on it's own. Personally I like to wear this by itself for the day time, then layer it with a sprits of Kim Kardasians original frag or even euphoria.. and wow..lol, just amazing how well so many perfumes that I own balance out nicely with this too make a deeper sexier more night perfume..

omg.. i just love love love this .. thank you!!!

svetm

Perfect scent.My favorite perfume!!!

Annelien1987

I love this one so much. It's so classy. Not at all what I normally go for. This is powdery and a bit snobby. Great perfume.

BUT be carefull. I sprayed a bit too much today (4 sprays) and it annoyed me the whole day. I wasn't happy. It even made me sick (nausea).... I was thinking: this isn't a perfume for me (after spending lots of money)... But if you spray 2 times (max!!) then this is a good perfume. ONLY in wintertime!!

almondcookie
almondcookie

I prefer shalimar to ths one. It's quite nice but not for me. It's just Shalimar in a sweeter form.

elisabethgenest
elisabethgenest

I totally agree with the review below and at first sniff, i was definitely sckeptick (haha i dont know how to write this word for my life) but after an hour i would say, it reminded me more and more of "flowerbomb" weird i know. You would never ever expect this at first sniff but let me tell u that this fragrance changes on your skin and that it lastttssssssssss and sticks on your clothes. I would say this is recommended to try and that this is another example of how we should not judge a book by its cover.. or first page for that matter ;)

Finally, I don´t like it at all :-(
I´m sorry Guerlain, but Shalimar is strong Iris, it smell as strong aftershave in me.During 3 days I was trying but it is awfull!!

Majesty
Majesty

Shalimar's ghost finally available in Athens!Marketing hits again,this time trying to give Shalimar a youthful appearance.Shalimar Parfum Initial,starts with a blast of sharp iris,hitting you straight at the nose!For a few minutes,it reminded me of Hermes Hiris opening,strong iris and nothing else.I miss the zest lemon opening of classic Shalimar. Time passes,iris is still there but not so loud,caramel vanilla on the stage now.Where is the sophisticated smell of Shalimar?Where is the high quality?Seem to swallowed up by marketing and advertising.Lasting power is average.

missymary
missymary

I was not expecting a lot from this business of monkeying about with a classic in order to update it. I thought that it would probably mean diluting the perfume and denaturing it frankly. Even the pink colour boded no good, as if Guerlain were chasing the teenage fashion for light bubbly fruity notes.

However the opening is really promising, a lovely blast of very pleasant sweet florals. But it's short-lived. Then the perfume melts down into ....guess what? The same old thick fat Shalimar. So it tries to be the same and different, but it's two unrelated parts, a new bit stuck on in front, and then the same old finish.

I can't see the point of it. If you like Shalimar, then the opening is just a pretty diversion. If you don't like Shalimar, this version will not be different enough to convert you.

COSMICSCENTS
COSMICSCENTS

I tested it today, I am not liking it, to me smells a little medicinal.
I forgot to mention a big blast of Iris at the initial spray.

This is different from the original Shalimar (maybe sweeter) , but I just dislike it the same. It's so very strong and nauseating that I cannot really tell you the difference in more detail, because I wanted the scent to be as far away from me as possible.

Raquel73

When I spray it,the fragance is fresh strong,after 15 m. it smeel me as aftersave,is very disagreeable and strong for me,I don´t know if is the Iris or Vetiver.More later the fragance is sweet and warm,I love it,but if I want used it, I have to spray 30m.before!!
I don´t think that it is a flanker,this is other diferent fragance,but Guerlain had made one mistake, name it Shalimar.
Long lasting 9/10 h.

dormir6

Well,the original Shalimar is warmer, sweeter, while the Initial is woody, powdery,earthy like fragrances that contains iris. Shalimar is round, mild, soft, cosy and happy-hearted, the real essence of feminity. Initial is more modern, more sophisticated,and slightly spicy. At first sniff they are two completly different perfumes, but after a while you can feel the heart of Shalimar EDP in Initial, as it becomes softer and milder.
I love both!!!!

mylancome

Although it is lighter, but the lasting power is excellent.

mylancome

It is the lighter version, more airy. Less leather, incense and civet. A younger version of the original that can be wear on hot day without turn nasty like other autumn/winter perfume.

ANGELICA07

Could someone plaese explain to me what are te differences between this "Initial version" and the original one of my adored Shalimar <3 ?

Looking at the notes, this version could be interesting but I am also afraid that it could be a poor "modern mass younger targeted" version ....

Is it worth it ?

Aroussa

First of all, it was apparently the perfumer's niece who asked for an updates scent :)
But who cares? Come on ladies, that story is just a big marketing ploy made up to compell us to buy this new frag, no more, no less. At least Chanel's No 5 Eau Premier marketers didn't make up a silly tale about Jaque Polge's niece or cousin asking him for a modern No.5!

rozaly
rozaly

I heard Jean Paul Guerlain made up Shalimar Initial for his granddaughter, who ask him to. She liked the original scent, but it was too heavy, serious and feminine for a young girl.

New Shalimar still has the mystery of the original scent, but became more girlish and modern. It's still classical one, but now it's more stylish. It's still feminine, but now it has more sex appeal. I love it! Perfect for cold winter evenings.

K1
K1

My eyes rolled when I sniffed it. This is genuine, premium. The iris quality is obviously niche indeed.
This starts out so bizarre on woody smoky oriental floral and gradually floral stream enhances. Detecting notes is so hard cause it's so well mixed and united.
There's a sparkling undertone that reduces its serious overwhelming spirit and prevent being old lady stuff. It makes it young, mystic, eastern and luxurious like a big uncut red topaz.

Allinug

I did a blind by on this. I love the originally Shalimar and I thought I would love this one too but I don't. It's so strong, sweet and cloying and doesn't smell good at all. All I got was headache. I sold my bottle.

I am so happy that I have the original Shalimar and that I can wear it.

sateni
sateni

i just bought Shalimar PI yesterday- without having sensed it on any i know. I took a wild choice, and i'm in love with this sexy, sophisticated scent. I find it also a little masculine, which i just adore about it. I cant wait to spray a little on me when i go out tonight.

LaPetite

Ok , here is about beeing honnest right ? So i have tried it once AGAIN , on my skin this time , and i must admit it is not THAT bad ! I still dislke the first minutes though , and the caramel note is so slow to show up . And if this scent can persuade the young girls to discover classic perfumery , then that's good !

vsmini
vsmini

Ah! Finally I can welcome Shalimar into my perfume family. I so badly wanted to like the original Shalimar on my skin but it just did not work out well on me at all. I was in denial for months about the original blend but finally came to grips and admitted that it made me ill. I am very happy to see that Initial works well for me. I’m a vanilla, candy, sweets girl and though this is nowhere near anything sweet like pink sugar (too much for me) or JS’s Fancy it is the perfect sophisticated blend for a woman that loves vanilla and some spice to boot! Bottle is beautiful and I’m in love. I sprayed this on my coat sleeve about 15 hours ago and it still gives off the most beautiful scent. I want to say it's similar to Coco Mademoiselle. I don’t smell the caramel outright but I’m sure that’s the note that sets off the vanilla sweetness just right (in my opinion) I’m sold.

magda14012

This one reminds me of Candy Prada, in sense of sweet carmel notes. However, it is much more complicated than sweet Candy. The iris is very elegant, yet not soapy but gives an airy feel. I like the leather notes, kind of earthy and warm and slightly floral, very well balanced.
The longlasting power is amazing. Give it a try.

Matin
Matin

only i can say ...uhmmm :) goorgeous , something classic but whith a new touch modern and cute sweet caramel in the oriental mix now more creamy and yummi.

linkypinky
linkypinky

Just another so-called modern chypre... I sampled it today and thought Hmm! Reminds me of... so many others. But most of all reminds me of other Thierry Wasser's creations. Talking of whom, now that he is the chief nose at Guerlain, I am definitely safe from spending my money on new Guerlains any time soon. I mean, this man is all about rose, musk and vanilla made dirty.

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

I remember Stephanie of Bourjois.They made it about 20 years ago. This is realy very ,very similar scent.

ritacatita
ritacatita

At first, a citrus light breeze, followed by a leather feeling, embraced with vanilla and reinforced by the caramel notes.
It is wonderful.

Whit
Whit

I've never really sampled much of Guerlain's perfumes because I thought they were always too strong for me; nice but overpowering. I sampled this one a while back and I really liked, but I didn't buy it. While I found it warm and somewhat spicy on me, it struck as a special occasion/evening frag. My hubby and I don't get to go out much because of our work schedules and we are both students too. So, needless to say, if I bought it, it would probably go to waste. Maybe one day, I'll purchase it because it's a really nice frag and it is tailored more to the youthful audience as other reviewers noted. Also, I do have to agree with companies being too competitive and not really spending much time developing true classic perfumes. I always thought perfumery was like artwork; it takes time to develop a true masterpiece.

Annelien1987

I like this alot, it's a nice version of the original Shalimar. It's younger and the bottle is very nice. Great for on my vanity. I don't have it yet but it's on my wishlist. The first spray is really citrusy and then I get the burnt sugar. I like that!

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

I am writing a new review on this fragrance.

It is lovely. It is radiant, rosy and fresh. It took me a while to fall for this scent and when I did I went head over heels! Just gorgeous. I love the original Shalimar, I truly do, but this is just more wearable for the everyday.

I went out with a friend and sprayed this on and he said 'yuck.' I do not understand what is going on in his mind. I guess this is not a man magnet. That being said, this is one of this fragrances that helps you to radiate confidence and that helps you to feel so womanly, sexy and alluring.

I recommend this fragrance to all women. It is not a watered down version of Shalimar. It has an air of the original scent while being its own composition. The dry down of the original Shalimar EDP is very similar to the opening in PI. This is very ideal for me personally because the best part of Shalimar is the dry down!

Sillage = very good
Longevity = unprecedented - I have not had a fragrance ever last like this
Overall 10/10

Bien fait, Guerlain.

C xx

ChouliGaloria
ChouliGaloria

I sampled this one recently. My nose got a Rochas Femme vibe from the Shalimar Parfum Initial. There are very similar accords in these two perfumes, in my opinion.
Pretty scent. Different because Shalimar Initial has that "antique" smell to it, especially compared to many of the recent years mundane fruity-floral releases. The bottle is nice too. The color of the juice looks aged like an antique liquor too.
I already have Rochas Femme and Eau de Shalimar so I won't be buying the Initial. But if you are new to the Shalimar heritage, then give it a whirl.

silverblue
silverblue

I am very disappointed about this. Here we go again to have another Thierry Wasser's simple-minded, headache-inducing sugar candy composition to interpret classic Guerlain. Unfortunately, I have never found impressed by any work he did for Guerlain so far (except magnificent Quand veint la pluie which is meant to interpret Apres L'Ondee). Will this sugar cane version do attract the naive young as Guerlain may have expected? I am not sure. But I still think the original is much much better and full of emotion which is completely absent in this new flanker. It seems to me that Guerlain is ruining their heritage by lots of meaningless flankers. Too bad!:(

vialon3
vialon3

Well Done Guerlain!
Wearing this at night sometime (early Fall) but looking forward to a lot more of Initial in a cold winter.
Starts rather heavy but nice as a powdery musk,Tonka bean and caramel. Dry down/sillage is more a creamy vanilla that stays fairly close.
Reminds me of vintage Mitsouko; that shadow of a wonderful soap smell? but this new one does not linger alone, for as long, in a space, after I have left.
Initial lasts and lasts on my skin and I find it pleasantly different from the original Shalimar.
A Beautiful bottle! A Beautiful perfume!

darkbeauty
darkbeauty

Beautiful soft citrus opening... very approachable to me where Shalimar can scare some away. There is a sweeter character as well that carries throughout, softening Initial's attitude and keeps her from being the bitchy little sister to her more mature counterpart. I adore them both, each in their own way. Afterall, it's family, right?

carolcabbagerose
carolcabbagerose

Ok it took a while for me to make my mind up on this one. It is a great addition to my collection.
It opens strong, baby powder! it settles down beautifully on my skin. I smell the citrus but not sharp, just a hint and then the warmth of the very slight musky vanille and Tonka.
It is a daytime perfume, just right for an autumn day, clean but with cashmere cardi softness.
Don't compare it, it is a sheer joy to wear.

melia
melia

De opening smells like powdery limes to me, very shalimar-ish but still different. It gets a bit different than the original in the middle part, it gets more candy-ish. But in the drydown there appears something that on my skin smells extremely nasty. Pfff. Everytime that chemistry issue! I guess I am forced to prefer the original Shalimar (need to test that again now, checking if it's really my skin problem with the whole Shalimarline or just with Initial)

In Vogue
In Vogue

This smells exactly like - Shalimar! I can't tell the difference. I was surprised how old-fashioned this re-make is, I was expecting something modern, and this is completely retro. I don't pick up any vanilla, only a heavy, thick, musky chypre, mixed with the patchouli. I think this is for a mature woman, and it may be an attempt to simply make Shalimar trendier and more appealing to a younger generation. The bottle is attractive and feminine, but the scent remains the same.

sofababe
sofababe

Although I do love original Shalimar this new one and I do not get along. All I can smell is TM Alien, which I hate. No sweet, soft vanilla on my skin at all. As Alien lists only 3 notes I can't even hazard a guess at what note, or combination of notes affect my skin (or nose) to make this horrible, sour, mouldy fruit smell. Such a shame :-(

mylancome

Chrismriley: Haven't try Jimmy Choo's perfume, but agree on the drydown. I sniffed most of the world's classic perfume, does smells like old man smoking.
Bouquet: Agree. Sniffing on the drydown tester slip, does smell little bit of glass cleaner. It turns out is the smell of the bergamot. No wonder nobody eat bergamot.
Sofababe: You have to wear it, take a walk, sweat a little, then you get the vanilla scent.

Came back after reading some articles about this perfume. Tonka Bean gave the smoking smells. It was used in ciggrate & cigar. While the glass cleaner smell is from the white musk.

Bouquet
Bouquet

Does anyone else detect a "Windex" (glass cleaner) note?
Still, I like it. It's Shalimar's answer to Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere, which I also like.

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A mixture of young and mature perfume which is multi-dimensional...

0-15 mins - Oranges, sticky, 99% the same as Jimmy Choo, young scent, 20's ages. Projection good

15 mins - 3 hours - Scent takes a different path to Jimmy Choo and goes mature. Bowl of fruit. Projection approx 6 inches. Unisex

3-5 hours - Drydown, spicier, sour, foul smell, a little fag ash, old man, smoking jacket, stale curtains. No projection

5-8 hours - How amazing, drydown changes back to start of scent, yummy and sticky oranges...

Not bad, I would wear it, but I think there are a lot which are better

mylancome

After long wait and finally Shalimar Initial arrive at Isetan. The bottle design alone is gorgeous! The perfume, it's the ideal smell of the modern Shalimar. No strong smell of leather and civet notes.
Top notes: Sharp sweet citrus
Heart notes: Florals smell
Bottom notes: Vanilla mixture of powdery bagamot
Although Shalimar Initial is reformulated, the signature smell of the Classic Shalimar is still there, instead of leathery & incense smell, it is more citrus & floral smell. It will be my must have perfume.
About the lasting power for testing on my skin is average 6 hours.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

A modernised update to Shalimar, the initial notes on me me were almost aniseed in nature before fading into a soft seductive scent.

taboo2287
taboo2287

i am a fan of strong scents but the original shalimar was a bit too strong and sophisticated! i love what they did to this scent it's still has the shalimar euphoria but in a more modern softer way, i loved it from the first sniff and it replaced the old shalimar in my collection.

ticalica
ticalica

It smells posh and plastic...
It has somewhat got a Coca-Cola vibe that I am not sure if anyone else can detect... Hmmm...
The bottle suits the fragrance... The smells has a "glass" quality if you know what i mean...

Moflis
Moflis

Really was waiting to smell it...but I have to say it's just nothing original, is not bad but it's not special, new, outstanding...for me it smells a bit like Flowerbomb which I don't like at all...then probably if I would like Flowerbomb I would like Shalimar Initial a lot!

glitteralex
glitteralex

Watered down Shalimar Eau de Cologne with the rotten fruit note of Insolence. Poor longevity, thankfully.

Sorcerer1001

Does anyone else notice a top note of wax lips in this?! Doesnt smell in a bad way, just adds an initial level of interest (how ironic)

lara0905
lara0905

I could test this the last week in the duty free shop in Hungary and I'm a bit disappointed...
Perhaps I waited some exiting and super modern innovation from Guerlain but not...
I like the original Shalimar, it's classic, chic and noble.
Shalimar Initial doesn't remind of original Shalimar, this perfum exactly Miss Dior Cherie and Coco Mademoiselle on me. I don't like it at all...( Miss Dior Cherie and Coco Mademoiselle are one of these perfums which can chase me out of the world:D)
It has the powdery and soapy tone but somehow it's just a choking mixture of the notes.:( Tonka, iris and musk dominant on me..

I really wanted it to buy but fortunately I was able to try before i would be a mistake to buy it...

mymlan
mymlan

Shalmar Parfum Initial must be Guerlains answer to Chanel N°5 eau Premiere: A modernized Shalimar for the younger audience. However, after a brief testing I'm not as impressed as I was with Chanels modernized N°5.

Parfum Initial smells somehow like a very dilluted Shalimar, but dilluted with water, sugar and vanilla. I guess it is the Iris that brings that watery and slightly metallic note. I feel like I'm waiting for something to happen after the initial spray, but nothing really happens and I feel a little frustrated. The drydown is nice and creamy though. I think that if you have loved Shalimar original you will always compare any flankers or any new creations with the same name, with the original, and that is probably not fair. The bottle is very beautiful I would really like to love it so I can have it.

9154mf
9154mf

I only tried this as I was given a free sample. I do not like it and would never wear it. It's heavy powdery patchouli and rose. Smells old fashioned.

antonpan
antonpan

Shalimar Parfum Initial opens like an absolute copy of irisy leathery Dior Homme. After that roses start to play and the scent becomes flowery and sweeter in the feminine style, but still with those "carrot" base from Dior Homme. In a whole new Shalimar sounds like a bit nostalgic powdery fragrance, but not so old-fashioned as regular Shalimar is (there is no similarity between regular and this new version though). Definitely Shalimar Parfum Initial will suit those ladies who:
a) adore Dior Homme but afraid of wearing it because of its male targeting,
b) want to wear Shalimar but find it not modern enough.

BetsyMeszaros
BetsyMeszaros

I just don't get it. This smells nothing like Shalimar therefore it might have been better to have just given it a new name. I guess since Shalimar is one of their best sellers they wanted to trade on the brand. That being said and taking it on its own it is not memorable and smells rather ordinary and unsophisticated.

It reminds me somewhat of a men's cologne my husband use to own so I can see why men might like for themselves. Personally, it is not for me and I will be selling my bottle as soon as the fragrance is discontinued and off the shelves.

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

This Shalimar Initial mimics Dior Homme. Must be the iris, vetiver and patchouli. It even wears down similar. As if to say, it mocks. Where he who is masculine, is built around leather and cacao... she who is feminine is built around tonka, vanilla and caramel. However, done so craftily, the notes we identify as sweet go completely undetected yet play a major role in the eventual dry-down of "Dior Femme", though not entirely feminine in it's final phase. This Shalimar is a strange girl, but I like her.

Shalimar is a fragrance I admire for being a classic and love for all its vanillary and lemony goodness, however I could never find a way to make Shalimar work on my skin. I always ended up smelling like an opened bottle of calamine lotion.

Shalimar Parfum Initial has managed to cut back on all that lemon and powder, leaving a sweeter, softer vanilla with sticky caramel and green accords. It makes less of a statement when wearing it, and I can see a plethora of youngsters falling in love with this reincarnation of Shalimar, in the 21st century.

Personally I prefer Shalimar Parfum Initial because it works better with my skin chemistry. Yet I can see why some devoted Shalimar fans would be outraged by a weaker version, devoid of lemon, incense and powder.

The scent is a little fresher, so I feel obliged to encourage those to wear it during Spring, or even Summer, when it's not too scorching hot outside. Shalimar Parfum Initial is universally pleasing. I get some interesting sexual vibes from this fragrance when I wear it. The men around me seem to adore it, which is a good sign. I expect this flanker to sell extremely well this year, and I'm hoping this will not be a short-lived special edition.

The iris note really shines in this version of Shalimar, alongside the polite and dusty vanilla, green bergamot, gooey caramel and earthy vetiver and patchouli. Thierry Wasser has done an excellent job. I compare his work to Jacques Polge's Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere, where both have managed to modernise classic fragrances in a way that appeals to the younger crowd, such as myself.

The sillage is moderate and the longevity is fantastic. It maintains the 'bad-girl' image that Shalimar was renowned for in the 20's, and for that alone I'm impressed. Shalimar Parfum Initial is worth experiencing in my opinion. I'm glad I took the leap of faith.

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

As someone who cannot wear normal Shalimar (I amp the incense note), and has never smelled any other flanker and probably never will, I present a completely unbiased review. I'm aware that Parfum Initial has received a lashing online reviews-wise, but I believe most are due to being unable to judge this on its own merits. Though I will admit, the choice of pink for the juice is silly if not a bit demeaning.

In any case, Shalimar Parfum Initial begins with a creamy yet powdery vanilla/iris/lemon/tonka combo with just a hint of juiciness which I believe is from the vetiver. It's soft, sweet, and classic in feel--I wonder how this is supposed to appeal to the modern fruitchouli girl. On my skin the powderiness and vanilla/lemon remains all throughout the dry down, but it's a clean just-showered powderiness rather than the cries of "old lady!" often screamed by those who catch even a whiff of powder. Sillage is strong without being cloying, but this is definitely a spray-once-sparingly-in-the-cleavage kind of scent. Longevity is amazingly tenacious, lasting a good 4-6 hours.

If Shalimar is a grand dame coming down a spiral staircase at a grand ball, Parfum Initial is her daughter at her cotillion. I can see this becoming *my* Shalimar, having respect for the original but being unable to handle it. Comparing Parfum Initial to the original would be like expecting some famous person's child or relative to be exactly like him or her; an unfair comparison, and to stay out of the famous person's shadow they need to be judged as their own person.

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

Hey,
this one is in my taste. Softer, smoother, a little bit lighter than original Shalimar. This is "wearable" ;) Very long lasting. Last for hours. Soft and feminine, very comforting. I think for those who have thought original Shalimar to be a bit "too much".

alli8769
alli8769

Not a very typical Shalimar perfume, but it is a Guerlain fragrance, you can smell it... Anyhow, a little disappointed that they decided to name this one Shalimar, because it's a complete different fragrance from the original.

But it's still a good fragrance, strong and sweet. Kinda reminded me of Dior Homme for some reason.

Evidently, Shalimar doesn't want to be left behind. She may be wearing a new fashionable clothing; very modernized. She may put on a few calories with something sweet and modern florality because she wants the later generation to notice her new transformation. But beware. the heart and soul is still Shalimar. She is not kidding around and still has her vintage charm. Perfection in a bottle. Reserve for experienced users only.

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

I tried this recently at a department store and I didn't like the top notes at all. I had high hopes for this one since the bottle is really beautiful. The top notes are just odd, It smells like a cedar closet to me too dusty almost like wood shavings. I would love to smell this on a man as it's quite a masculine scent. I guess this is one of those love or hate kind of perfumes that takes many tries it order to like!

Udaria
Udaria

This is odd. It smells only faintly like the original Shalimar - but it smells good. I like soapy scents and here is some freshness to the top, which evolves into a full heart with iris and maybe a little rose. But then the dry down: It is soft, lingering and has a gourmand feel. I like the tonka bean in it which makes it so cozy and comfortable. It is almost a go-to fragrance, and should fit most fall/winter occasions. So - the famous Shalimar it is not - but in its own right a good perfume. If it had a different name, I would have bought it also, so good it is.

Kittycat63
Kittycat63

"..I'm then met with a rather strange Bertie Bassett Liquorice note .." Ha, ha! Dilly - you made me laugh when you said that!! I remember Bertie Bassett and hey, there's nothing at all wrong with Liquorice Allsorts (or Licorice Allsorts to any Americans reading this!!) (especially the sweeter ones that aren't quite as liquorice'y as some of the other ones!). ;o)

Well, Bertie Bassett aside, I tested Shalimar Initial the other day on my spritzing session around a perfume section in a department store and I quite liked it. I didn't try it on my skin though, just on a perfume strip, but the aroma that wafted up to meet my nose was very pleasant and, in my opinion, better than the original Shalimar, which has never particularly appealed to me although it has its place, of course, in the classic perfume world and is much better than the 'classic' stenchy Opium (if a stench of any type can be called a classic, and my most hated perfume in the world EVER - well, that I have had the extreme misfortune to encounter so far!!!).

I agree with what a lot of reviewers here have said about perfume houses putting out too many different versions of their popular perfumes but still, this one is actually very likeable. It's definitely lighter, breezier and more youthful the the original Shalimar. It's soft, warm, slightly powdery (reminding me slightly of a powdery, spray on woman's deodorant!), and sweet. The iris, vanilla, caramel and tonka bean are the notes that I smell the most and the rose doesn't really come through to my nose as much as it seems to for other reviewers! I don't detect any liquorice at all in it, and I don't see liquorice or anise listed in the notes on here (I did also test Hypnotic Poison though and that really seemed to have a strong liquorice note in it, which I found a bit annoying!). Although I didn't test Shalimar Initial on my skin and just on a perfume strip, the longevity seems to be excellent because I tested it three days ago and I can still smell it strongly on the perfume strip and it's scenting my living room very nicely!! Also, I tested various other perfumes on different perfume strips but this perfume is the one that I smell the most.

So, I can give a thumbs up to this perfume. Not only is it a very likeable, more youthful and (in my opinion) more wearable version of Shalimar but the bottle is very lovely and would look very becoming in any woman's (maybe even a 'in touch with his femininity' male's!) boudoir!

Sorcerer1001

Very nice, its powdery and slightly fruity but i can still smell some of the classic shalimar in the midst of it. I desperately want to love shalimar so i think this will be my guerlain gateway drug!

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

I thought this was going to be my alternative to the original Shalimar, but no, unfortunately not. The opening smells just like lipstick. I really can't tell what combination of notes makes this come about but there it is. It's not unpleasant, just a bit odd. This fades fairly quickly to a soapy, powdery rose, I get no jasmine or orange blossom. It turns into a woody musky rose as the vetiver and musk appear and that's about it for me, leaving it smelling still somewhat old fashioned despite this being a modern update. I don't get any sweetness of vanilla, almond or caramel and would not have known they were meant to be present. So if I were to summarise this, I would call it an antique rose. Pretty nice for a chypre though, which I usually hate.

cheekychee
cheekychee

This is smashing! Hooray, I love it because sometimes Shalimar is too heavy during the day.

This child of Shalimar is Sunday's child: Bonney, blithe, good & gay.

Dilly
Dilly

It opens with a similar hook to Coco Mademoiselle, but the similarity ends there. I think it's the bergamot and jasmine. I'm then met with a rather strange Bertie Bassett Liquorice note and the same caviar type note in Womanity, by Mugler. 10 mins later I'm getting plastic dolls head through the fruity floral notes. After 30 mins I'm getting some of the notes familiar in the original masterpiece, but only in part.
I will hate this perfume, I will be cross about it, offended even. It's commercial, it's riding off the back of a classic, it's pink, it smells of fishy floral plastic. I love it.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

smelled like a watered down Shalimar with anisic notes and a cooler vibe from the Iris. Nice, but not as nice as Shalimar!

Castor
Castor

I tried it and really find it to my liking: not outstanding, and as a matter of fact, with top notes reminiscent of Dior Homme in the leather / iris accords I got when applied and Heritage in the mid notes; maybe the blend includes aromachemicals used in these ones, which at some point baffled me, however, this did not affect the blend's attraction.

It did not evolve much as of the mid notes, it opens in a promising way but the complexity stops in the mid and base notes: on the blotter, the blend did not change much from the time it was given to me. Finally, the base notes are lead by musk and patchouli and some florals, giving the sensation of a leather accord. At this point, I found it could be easily wearable by men if it were not for its popularity - at this point I remembered that female chypres can be easily worn by men.

As you can see, it does not have anything to do with the original Shalimar, this is lighter than the former and, even though iris and tonka beans are listed in the pyramid, it lacks the strong vanilla and iris / amber notes proper of all the Guerlains.

I wonder Shalimar Parfum Initial must be getting a considerable amount of negative reviews by part of purists. Not my case, I found it is a good contemporary blend. Of course, I can contribute to the cause of purists in that it could be thought of a forced rendition of the original one since I could not find traces regarding the original Shalimar, an oriental tuned into a floral chypre due, maybe, to business demands calling for youngsters to approach Guerlain's bestseller.

MizLiz
MizLiz

Were they really aiming for a younger version of Shalimar here? Because the first thing I thought while smelling it was "Oh, it's an Apres l'Ondee variation! Or maybe a L'Heure Bleue one," But no. The bottle says "Shalimar." But where is the grand Shalimar DNA? Not in the thin, powdery drydown. I don't get this one at all. It's just a pale, powdery iris. Shalimar Light and Ode a la Vanille were better Shalimar revamps. Come on, M. Wasser! You can do better than this!

iMaverick
iMaverick

The very first reviews I read of Parfum Initial were not too raving. Many were crying out "What is this?" "This is not Shalimar" "It's PINK!" and so on and so forth. If you're looking for the strong resinous and powdery trail like the original, this is not it. Parfum Initial has been made so much more transparent yet keeping an ambery floral trail brightened by vetiver and orange notes with hints of rose seemlessly entwined throughout the fragrance. Musk is what grounds the base of this fragrance, but doesn't overwhelm, just keeps the rest of the notes together . Ironically, I can catch nuances of Guerlain Homme (which I now believe M. Wasser has kept bits of Shalimar's structure in a mens offering-aha!) and Idylle in this fragrance. It is UNISEX, teetering on the feminine, in the way some Hermessence fragrances are. Pure surprise that I love Parfum Initial a lot more than Ode a la Vanille, which to me, smells all over the place on skin and doesn't last long. Parfum Initial, on the other hand, is a true Eau de Parfum. Lasts longer than any Guerlain I've ever worn, including Shalimar Parfum.

It is indeed a fragrance to start a budding Guerlainophile on to the sultry and distinctive trail of Shalimar! Guerlain seems to be listening to demands and concerns about their fragrances, and have entered the mainstream with the Guerlain sophistication, but with modern touches. BRAVO! I hope they keep it a true permanent offering at the Guerlain counter.

lilou
lilou

I tested it as a gift, it was very nice to discover a soft, fresh and sweet version of Shalimar. I like Shalimar, of course, this perfume is a classic. But it's not for me. Shalimar Parfum Initial would be for me : younger, fresher, sweeter. Test it, it's worth it.

Arome Sara
Arome Sara

very nice smell, wearable for a wider range of people as opposed to classic Shalimar but not a pleasing odor for a wide range of customers, and that is good... It should smell similar type Dior Homme Intense or J. Sander JIL

APassionateJourney
APassionateJourney

First, let me just state that the bottle is BEAUTIFUL in person. Sometimes a bottle can look beautiful in the ad but when you see it in person it's ugly or plastic feeling or very cheap looking but this bottle just looks expensive and it isn't really that expensive as far as price goes. I went to Nordstrom yesterday to purchase Tobacco Vanille and this was the first bottle that caught my eye. It's stunning in person. Of course this is just my opinion so if you see this bottle in person and you hate it don't shoot me!

Now, to get to the REAL deal. Wow. This fragrance, I believe, is the mother of Chanel Coco Mademoiselle. It has a grown up sweetness, it isn't super powdery, it has a richness to it that can't really be described, it's deep, etc. I can't believe I post reviews! I'm horrible at describing scents!

I just can't believe this is Shalimar! I don't really like the original but I've always loved the bottle. Now I'll have my own modern version of the shalimar bottle when I purchase this.

muskymale
muskymale

I went to Selfridges in London today especially to smell this new perfume from Guerlain. I have been wearing Shalimar EDT for sometimes now, and it has been my signature perfume (I am a gay man!).

My first impression: fresh and then sweet, but not overly too sweet... only very slightly floral (iris), and then it settles down into this warm and seductive amber and tonka bean with a hint of 'dirty' (if you know what I mean! Hint: think of 'Last Tango in Paris', get it?) Vanilla quality at the base. It still remains powdery, but I have to say that the smokiness of the original Shalimar is gone. It reminds me very slightly of Coco Mademoiselle.

It took me 1 hour while I was wondering around and smelling this perfume, and then suddenly: WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANGELS COMING DOWN FROM THE HIGHEST HEAVEN, AND BOY.......I AM IN LOVE WITH IT!!!! And before I knew it, I bought the 30ml EDP (does not come in EDT, thank God for that!) for £37.00 in a blink of an eye.

Yes, this perfume is alot more softer and femine than the original, but by no way it is girly. Oh No. This is a grown up perfume (think of Belle de Jour, honey!) and that's why I love it from the very first initial impression.

The sillage is wonderful, and I still can smell it when I got home 6 hours later after my first spray!

You will not be disspointed by Shalimar Parfum Initial EDP!!!!

Shalimar is NOT just a perfume. It is the whole French chicness in a bottle PERSONIFIED, and yes...I'll be spraying myself this perfume for the years to come from now on!!!! Move over Coco Mademoiselle! (Please don't get me wrong, I love Coco Mademoiselle).

For me, this has to be one of THE greatest perfumes EVER been made!

PS:Natalia Vodianova is gorgeous too!

eclecticgal1

OOps, I meant to say Shalimar Parfum Initial is available at Neiman Marcus now....probably at other high-end dept. stores, too.

I had written 'Shalimar' rather the S.P. Initial previously. Obviously, the original Shalimar is available everywhere.

Jazzy76
Jazzy76

Provato proprio oggi in profumeria...per curiosità, attratta anche dalla bellezza della boccetta e dal nuovo colore rosato: è stato un colpo di fulmine! Credo che per la prima volta ho trovato davvero un profumo che nelle sue sfaccettature olfattive riesce a "rappresentarmi" completamente...e adesso non resta che aspettare l'occasione giusta per regalarmelo (o farmelo regalare? ;))

eclecticgal1

Shalimar is now available at Neiman-Marcus online. I got an online notice about it today - June 25, 2011.
Have not ordered it - I am a Shalimar parfum lover.

LaPetite

Even worse than the regular Shalimar , which i hate big time .
It smells like something rusty !
And one more time a naked Natalia Vodianova to sell , and I'm sure once again , it will work ...
Kaching !!!

DONA DINA
DONA DINA

I've just got this lovely fragrance three days ago...
I can say it's warm formula of classic shalimar in a very alluring but natural way... lovely, lovely and sooooooo lovely... and it worth a try...

distortech
distortech

I just got this yesterday in Paris and is not too bad. Would I call it iconic? No, not yet, it has to grow on me alot more to get to those lofty heights. Do I like it? Oh yes, I really like it. Is it worth having for your Guerlain collection? Yup. What is it like? Well, it is rather heavy on White Musk, which many people either hate, or love. I am rather fond of it and find it rather intriguing in this fragrance. It gives it a "fresher" aspect, but, yet, don't let that scare you, it is still a Guerlain oriental at heart. The Bergamot top notes are every bit as lovely as the original. The mid is what keeps me from saying it's iconic in my book, but, nonetheless, it is done well for what it is and I respect that. The base shares something akin to, I hate to say this, a very subdued ANGEL. Honestly, it is growing on me and I may change my tune as I wear this more later.

As far as the bottle and the pink juice...well, after seeing it sitting on my shelf, it is striking. I am much fonder of it than I expected. Very nice.

Shania
Shania

I emailed Guerlain to find out where I might find this and this is the response:-

"I inform you that SHALIMAR PARFUM INITIAL will be available internationally from 1st September 2011 (it is already available, only in France).

However, in London, in Harrod's, it should be available in June"

Looks like I have to be patient :(

mediterranean
mediterranean

I think this version of Shalimar is trying to introduce the original perfume to younger generations.Let´s be honest,although Shalimar is a masterpiece how many of us felt seduced by it when we were teenagers? It is also true, that some of us are still faithful to our first loves in perfumery. Somehow the classic shalimar was a forgotten soul for the youngest.So, they have made it more attractive to them:more citrus=fresher,warm pink liquid=reminding them the colors of the fruity perfumes they use,beautiful bottle. I am not so sure about the naked model though...
All in all,I find it a softer version of the original,quite charming even for the summer,and pretty lovely.

maen
maen

Hi!!!

A big Yes for Shalimar Parfum Initial.
It has something in common with the original, but this is modern and younger, as Guerlain aimed to.
At first You can notice the original Shalimar's bergamote, a little brighter... then turns into a well-balanced sweet smell, with the iris and rose, not too floral. Always being Shalimar, but shier...
The end note is quiet, and warming.
Keeps like a second skin, and seem to have good staying power.
The bottle as You can see is wonderful!!!.
Is a new Shalimar's version, different, but Shalimar.

I hope You like it!!! Cheers!!!

Sassy1
Sassy1

I'm sure it's much easier to tweek a formula you already have than to start from scratch, And who wants to put forth the effort anymore of a new name and distinctive packaging?
I too tire of the flanker overload.
I'm also not fond of special or limited editions only available for a few fleeting months. It may boost sales short term but doesn't support a long-term following.

These companies need to slow it down, quit being so freaking competitive and start putting some thought and artistry back in scent creation.

Until then, I won't be wasting my hard earned dollar on crap but will spend it on tried and true classics.

Endymion
Endymion

I absolutely agree with the fast-fragrance industry idea!!!

Back in the golden days perfume houses released fragrances in every 5 or 10 years only!!!

When I was discovery perfumery, Cartier, Chanel, Dior, Yves Saint Laurent, Givenchy, Cacharel, Armani, Calvin Klein and such big houses had only 4-5 female and less male fragrances!
Now they release at least 1 product a year... however, none of these become legendary fragrances like No 5, Opium, Paris, Poison, Amarige, Anais Anais etc.

I'm sooo fed up with this! I don't expect a new release from my favourite houses ever year! I don't want 6 flankers and 4 versions of my dearest fragrances. I would need milestones that have been worked on for 5-6 years with hard work, blood and sweat :)

weegee
weegee

I say "Keep those flankers coming!" Sometimes they equal or exceed the original in quality -- or perception of quality -- while maintaining the "family ties". Sometimes they have a bit more or a bit less of something that makes them more wearable to some folks than the original.

Example: I found Shalimar Legere, of some years back, with its lemon merinque pie accord, easier to wear in warm and hot weather than the original. Now Legere costs waaay more than I'm willing to pay, but I'm very, very glad to have it in my wardrobe.

I'll be looking for this new one.

cassio
cassio

I love the perfume world, but I agree that this industry is going nuts launching estrange versions of famous scents. I don't know, but it has started with CK One and then , CK Be, Ck Summer version, etc.
After that, Poison ,Poison Tendre, Midnight Poison......What can we spect more? Chanel n-5 Black version?

jellybeantree
jellybeantree

I agree with all of you it is more quantity than quality now a days! I can't even keep up anymore and every time I get excited about a new fragrance I test it and end up being underwhelmed. Just mass consumption and low quality , as long as it is safe and it sells! I am still going to test this because I am curious but I am not getting too excited as usual.

Zaleska

Why so many versions? I think they lose their "ID" this way...

kevaana

Year after year we see more and more flankers. In my opinion the fragrance industry was converted into a "fast-food" industry.

kevaana

The fast - fragrance industry hits again. The last victim: Shalimar.

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain 3.91 out of 5 based on 2084 ratings and 430 user reviews

Boots.com
SHALIMAR PARFUM INITIAL for WOMEN by Guerlain EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 2 OZ
Parfum
Parfum
Eau De Toilette 2oz
Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau by Guerlain for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 2.0 oz
Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial Eau De Parfum Spray 40ml 1.3oz
Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial Eau De Parfum Spray 40ml 1.3oz
Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain for Women Eau de Parfum Spray 3.4 oz
Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain for Women Eau de Parfum Spray 3.4 oz
Sephora.com, Inc.
Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial 1.3 oz Eau de Parfum Spray
Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial 1.3 oz Eau de Parfum Spray
FragranceShop.com
Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau by Guerlain for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 3.3 oz
Shalimar Parfum Initial Perfume by Guerlain, 3.4 oz Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
Gift Set 3.4oz
SHALIMAR PARFUM INITIAL for WOMEN by Guerlain SET-EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 3.4 OZ BODY LOTION 2.5 OZ TRAVEL SET
Perfume.com
Shalimar Parfum Initial Perfume by Guerlain - 3.4 oz Eau De Parfum Spray
Shalimar Parfum Initial Perfume by Guerlain - 3.4 oz Eau De Parfum Spray
Gift Set 1.3oz
Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial Coffret Eau De Parfum Spray 40ml 1.3oz Delicate Body Lotion 75ml 2.5oz 2pcs
Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial Eau De Parfum Spray 60ml 2oz
Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial Eau De Parfum Spray 60ml 2oz
SHALIMAR PARFUM INITIAL L'EAU for WOMEN by Guerlain EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ
SHALIMAR PARFUM INITIAL L'EAU for WOMEN by Guerlain EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ
Gift Set 2oz
Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial Coffret Eau De Parfum Spray 60ml 2oz Delicate Body Lotion 75ml 2.5oz Bag 2pcs 1bag
Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml 3.4oz
Guerlain 'Shalimar Parfum Initial' Eau de Parfum 3.4 oz
Guerlain 'Shalimar Parfum Initial' Eau de Parfum 3.4 oz
SHALIMAR PARFUM INITIAL for WOMEN by Guerlain EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 3.4 OZ
SHALIMAR PARFUM INITIAL for WOMEN by Guerlain EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 3.4 OZ

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Shalimar Parfum Initial, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.