Designers » F-H » Oriental « Groups

Spiritueuse Double Vanille Guerlain for women
dislike

smoky
Spiritueuse Double Vanille Guerlain for women Pictures

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain is a Oriental fragrance for women. Spiritueuse Double Vanille was launched in 2007. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean-Paul Guerlain. Top notes are pink pepper, bergamot and incense; middle notes are ylang-ylang, cedar, bulgarian rose and jasmine; base notes are benzoin and vanilla.

Pink Pepper Bergamot Incense

Ylang-Ylang Cedar Bulgarian Rose Jasmine

Benzoin Vanilla

Cologne of the Missions
Gloria

Spiritueuse Double Vanille Fragrance Reviews

Rizack2
Rizack2

Reading all the reviews on this I was hoping for a creme brulee, caramel center, buttery vanilla and even boozy rum note. Smoky vanilla would have bee nice as well, but for me it wasn't smoke it was a slight dusty note. Instead of caramel or brulee, a slight vanilla extract. Instead of booze or rum I smell a sort of balsamic vinegar. Combine this all together it is still a pleasant fragrance. It does resemble Eau des Missions with slightly better longevity, yet Missions has a smoky note. Do i think it is over priced, well considering it is an exact dupe for Raghba, only Raghba has better silage at a mere fraction of the cost. This is just too delicate for my money, considering it's not the VANILLA I was looking for.

xrayer
xrayer

Oh......my......god. This is pure vanilla heaven. Just the right hint of booze and sweetness, smooth, warm and delectable. Do I need this? No. Do I want this? Hell yes. I would gladly trade most of my current collection for a FB of this beauty.

Jenge
Jenge

After much deliberation at the Guerlain counter over which scent to get for my 20th wedding anniversary, I decided on SDV. It would be the one I would never get sick of and would work with every occasion. After I showered and got ready to go out that night I sprayed myself 4 times so I would be wrapped in that lovely scent all night. I continued to get ready and realized I could barely smell anything at all from this! I asked my husband if he could smell it and he said a slight sweet tobacco scent. All night I could barely smell a hint of vanilla. I was feeling a sickening sense of buyer's regret. Thankfully I was allowed to exchange this and got Gourmand Coquin instead. I don't know if I'm anosmic to SDV, or if I got a bad batch, but it was not the warm double vanilla experience I had hoped for.

seekritdude
seekritdude

Holy moly, beyound disapointed. Are there 2 different versions of this? From a few reviews on here it does seem some people say theyre different ones. Perhaps it was reformulated at one time. Because I have 2 different decants of this and it may as well be a completely different fragrance. Really really bummed about this, I was thinking of buying a bottle but boy this other decant, I dont even think I would wear let alone buy a full bottle of it.

Vesna8888
Vesna8888

Have tried it yesterday at the airport while in transit, at the same time as I also tried Cuir Beluga. I must say that both sillage and longevity have been much better with Cuir Beluga; as SDV I could not feel on my skin within 3-4 hours and also vanilla strength has been little disappointing since I could not feel this "double dose" of vanilla. Will definitely give it a second chance to try this perfume again.

Silkpuppet
Silkpuppet

This feels like an aloof cousin of TF Tobacco Vanille and diptyque Eau Duelle. It shares that breath of smooth vanilla, but SDV is infinitely more boozy. I do not mind boozy but I would prefer this spiced rum effect if it was more buttery or creamy. I don't dislike SDV, I just prefer its distant relatives.

heymoe9
heymoe9

I have sampled this many times and don't get the oomph I was looking for. It is just average on me, no staying power, bland vanilla. Even the rum does not come through as I was hoping. For the price I can buy multiple bottles of other vanilla scents with more complexity and longevity. I guess I'm lucky the expensive perfumes don't take to my chemistry.

VintageViolet_
VintageViolet_

I purchased this 75ml bottle at the Guerlain boutique in Champs Elysees, Paris on Saturday whilst on holiday there.... They even engraved my bottle with my name, date and 'Paris' for free.

WOW. The vanilla rum notes are so smooth, deep and heavy. I smell like creme brulee being eaten by an 18th century pirate who's drank a lot of dark rum and smoked his pipe before dessert. Wonderful. Sexy. Intoxicating. Dark & mystical.

Truely a great vanilla fragrance. The best i've worn yet! Very expensive at €185 / £155 (I'd been saving up for a looong time)

Another amazing vanilla fragrance (at a fraction of the price - £21 for 30ml) Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetic's 'Vanillary'.

aquila_2009
aquila_2009

Hi.

A elusive and heavy vanillic scent evoking thae juxtaposition of harmony with the intensity of recklessness.GUERLAIN capturing the creative dynamic and magnetic femininity of a modern woman.it is perfectly rich and irresistible scent.a must have for those addicted smoky vanilla and highly recommended if you need something unique.bold yet an elegant perfume at the same time in a special and intense composition. Glamorous,Seductive, Expensive,Deep, Smoky,Unisex,Sultry,Addictive,Wintry and Headstrong Passion.

Within the perfume,the spicy vibrant notes fuse with a dark, sensual and smoky vanilla to reveal a tenacious incense signature.incense remains the backbone of the perfume and allows the other notes to surround it.this perfume is great from start to finish to me as it has a mystery and insolent composition that has much more oomph than nowadays perfumes that often has just gorgeous packaging while the scents has another story. this EDP makes a lasting impression when you smell it on someone who is wearing it.an absolute stunning.

Sillage?Pleasant.

Longevity?Very Good on my skin.

7.25/10

dalmajen
dalmajen

Double Disappointment
Finally! My lovely big decant arrived in the post this morning. I have had this on my wish list for ages, and finally had the chance to purchase a decant from a fragrance buddy. Of course I purchased it untested! This is the icon of vanilla perfumes! I have read so many glowing reviews, I couldn't possibly go wrong buying it blind. After all, I adore vanilla, and this is portrayed as a Holy Grail! Oh..how the tables turned on me! I sprayed it, and straight away I got a blast of vanilla essence, laced with rum. Ok, this is just the beginning..let's wait till the creamy, dreamy vanilla kicks in! It probably has to develop, as this is the Queen of all vanillas, after all! Four hours later..still waiting, and nearly in tears at the utter disappointment! Not even a trace of rose, nor a hint of jasmine..just a low quality vanilla soaked unbaked rum ball. Oh where is the luscious,elegant vanilla that is in my Shalimar Ode a la vanille Madagascar? I feel so let down. It must be my skin, chemistry, nose, or something I just can't fathom! I must be one of the very few people on the planet that doesn't adore this fragrance! I am almost ashamed to write this review, and in actual fact, did delete the first one, as it sounds so unbelievable that I'm not weak at the knees from this perfume. I am, however, not sorry I purchased this decant, as I would have been always sorry I never had the chance to experience it. But I've learned one thing..Double the anticipation, double the disappointment! I will, of course, give it several more tries, as every fragrance deserves a proper chance.

shivers33
shivers33

I just received my SDV...and my Musc Ravageur!!! I know, how does it get any better! The funny fact is that I ordered The MR one day before the SDV, the first was shipped from France and the latter from Canada(I live in Canada),they arrived the same day! Lets focus on SDV! For those of you who are familiar with the L'Art et la Matiere line, you know how the bottle comes with a regular cap and 2 available sprayers. When I opened the box, I didn't want to replace the cap, so I just opened the bottle to sniff the juice inside. I literally wanted to take a sip! What could possibly happen, right!? So sweet and smoky! Yes, not the most complex fragrance, but who cares, when it's that yummy! Plus, I have Mona di Orio's vanille for when I want to go a little more over the edge. Seriously, I want to take a sip ;-)

del
del

Spritueuse Double Vanille is an intoxicating, warm, sweet scent. It stays sweet, smooth, and boozy from the beginning – smells like a delicious cocktail of vanilla float and some liquor, then dries down to something like a vanilla/flour cupcake that my mother used to bake in the morning.

SDV is a well-rounded, resinous scent. It is soft, but a single spray to the neck really lasts, and the scent projects quite nicely. Guerlain brings sweet/vanilla scents to another level – SDV is a truly comforting scent and I love smelling it wafting off my skin. Sure the full bottle is pricey, but a small decant will last a long time.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

The smooth, rum-infused caramel center of an expensive chocolate truffle. Cloyingly sweet with tremendous projection.

Distinctly high quality, but lacks depth and complexity for the (ball-busting) price of admission.

desdemona7
desdemona7

The house of Guerlain is the Mecca of perfume houses! This is another of their incredible creations, and the best vanilla/incense perfume ever created. With my chemistry this, and Cuir Beluga are the nicest and most long lasting frags, especially for the winter months, which in Canada can get very chilly. It is not too sweet, very "smooth" and creamy, with a longevity that justifies the price. My 5ml decant from Posh Peasant is almost done, so I'm saving up for a full bottle, which will last a long time since the quality is absolutely top notch. Another masterpiece from Guerlain!

tambrance
tambrance

I bought a decant from The Perfumed Court several years ago and became obsessed with Spiriteuse Double Vanille. It reminds me of the delicious pipe tobacco my uncle used to smoke...fresh, warm vanilla pudding...and something else comforting, but unidentifiable to me as yet. I HAD to have a full bottle...and purchased one from Nordstrom for my husband to give to me for Valentine's Day. It has become my winter signature scent. I can't get enough of it! But the $$$$ is daunting, and, miserly, I part with each spray, dreading the day my cherished bottle will be empty. In vain I have searched for a dupe that accurately mirrored SDV. Many claimed to be it's twin sister, but they all disappointed. Until now. EAU DES MISSIONS cologne from Le Couvent des Minimes is an exact cologne match. And, at $39 for 3.4 ounces, I can be extravagant with my beloved scent. I spray it on my pillow, my scarves, my sweaters with abandon and delight. If you love SDV, if you want to wear the scent lavishly but your budget just won't allow the real deal treat yourself to Eau Des Missions Cologne.
PS.Please use it only if you love it to the point of obsession. It is worthy of your singular devotion.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanilla
Oaxacan ice cream is one of my favorite desserts, because it's extra creamy and there are a lot of flavors that you don't find in American ice cream shops. I found an authentic Oaxacan ice cream shop near my house that has over 50 flavors, and because ice cream is my favorite food of all time, and because I like trying new things, I've committed to trying all 50 flavors. Some of the flavors are really unusual, though, so I’ve had to keep an open mind and a flexible palate. One of those more unusual flavors is called "burnt milk". It’s taken me awhile to try it because I’m not a huge fan of milk, and even less of a fan of the idea of burnt milk. I finally tried it, though, and although it was pretty much as I expected it to taste – simply vanilla, burnt cream, and just a bit of sugar – It was certainly interesting, but it wasn’t my favorite. Then, again, I’ve never been one to favor just vanilla.

SDV isn’t just vanilla, it’s a smokey burnt ethereal creamy vanilla that isn’t sweet or gourmand in any way. This is a fragrance I’ve wanted to try for a long time, but now that I have, it reminds me of Oaxacan burnt milk ice cream. I know there are legions of people who name this as the best vanilla fragrance out there, but although I find it intriguing, I can’t say it’s my favorite. On my skin, it had the strangest opening which reminded me of ear wax for the first 10 minutes. I am heartbroken! I truly wanted to love this, but I will stick to my favorites: Chopard Casmir for the heady voluptuous vanilla I crave in the winter, or my L’Artisan Vanile for the summery buttery vanilla I love, or to my beloved Shalimar for the mysterious decadent vanilla I adore.

sharmap14
sharmap14

smells absolutely like amber oud in the drydown... if u want something that smells alike but dont wana pay that amount get this

Cassiano
Cassiano

Another creation for the exclusive collection called L'art et La Matière, by Guerlain, this fragrance surprised me, in a very positive way, not because of its quality, since I never had any doubts, but by the result on my skin and, above all, the expectation that I've created about its aroma.

Its name means "spirit double vanilla" and its target audience is women. From there, we imagine an extremely sweet, gourmand style and, of course, extremely feminine scent, right? Wrong!
This fragrance is quite shareable and, I dare to say, more unisex than numerous other creations sold as such. This was my first surprise!

Before we continue talking about the delicious aroma and the reaction on my skin, I need to describe the notes that make up this creation. So, I will use the official information of Guerlain, which contradict some other sites such as Fragrantica, for example. The notes are: pink pepper, bergamot and frankincense, which we also know as frankincense (an aromatic resin extracted from Boswellia trees, which has numerous aspects, such as the medicinal. However, it is best known as one of the real types of incense). In the heart, we have notes of Bulgarian rose, jasmine and ylang-ylang, and at the base, vanilla, benzoin and rum.

Although the "spirit double vanilla " lives at the base of the fragrance, as a result of benzoin and the vanilla note itself, it is very present, since the time it is applied on the skin. However, this nuance fades fast and gives way to a fantastic aroma, which was my second surprise: the pepper began to exhale, giving it a more masculine touch, in conjunction with the Bulgarian rose, which reminded me immediately, the same nuance of other rich perfumes with notes of roses, like some Montales, for example, without the oud, of course! For about 30 minutes this aroma remained and led me to believe that Guerlain could launch this same fragrance, with a little less vanilla, aimed at male audiences and with the name of Incense Roses, for instance. It would be a success!

Coming back to the point, when we got to the end of the evolution, the base notes are more present and the vanilla reappears, liqueur, making it clear why the rum is in this composition. I must confess that if the aroma of pepper with rose had stayed any longer, I'd be even happier. But then, the fragrance wouldn't be successful for which it was created.
Without a doubt, it’s another beautiful creation by Guerlain.

MrBBS1970
MrBBS1970

Best vanilla frag I ever smelled. Excellent is an understatement! It my go-to for fall/winter. Just amazing.

miticothor
miticothor

I'm a great lover of SDV but i have to say that Diptyque Eau Duelle Edp VERSION - in the mid notes - reminds me of SDV.

Eos
Eos

This is very reminiscent of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille but a touch lighter and less complex. There is a smokey note that I suppose is the incense, but could easily be tobacco. The vanilla is very true, but quite buttery. That's about it. Double Vanilla is linear, wearable and very nice, but ultimately not a must have for me.

NoiBoi
NoiBoi

Vanilla based fragrances are just not my thing I guess...I've tried to like Tobacco Vanille, Spiritueuse Double Vanille, etc. I've still yet to come across one that has caught my attention.

What I personally get out of SDV is mildly spicy sweet vanilla extract. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm going to go ahead and go out on a limb here and say that you have to be a fan of vanilla to enjoy wearing this. I appreciate it, I like the smell, but i'll go ahead and stick to Dryer's for my vanilla fix.

born for shalimar

please help. i bought a bottle of SDV from a site in germany .when i sprayed it on me i could hardly detect the lovely strong vanille plus every other ingredient.its certainly not rich and heavy.do you think its been diluted.has the bottle got a sticker and red seal on the front or is that something they dont do anymore.i have read his reviews and they are all very good so is this my problem or his.i was expecting a strong boozy vanille fragrance with plenty of sillage but thats not what i'v got,just weak nothing after 3 hours.any suggestions ,has anyone had this experience.many thanks

evesoho
evesoho

I agree with TDS. I've sampled two decants each from a different sample company, and I'm convinced one has more smoke than the other - to the point that I can hardly detect the vanilla underneath the ashes! With the other, it seemed so light I used nearly 1 ml to scent myself! This sneaks up on you, though. The next morning before showering I could still smell it, and I had been wearing it for nearly 24 hours!

Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille has a sophisticated vanilla accord that is delicate. It also has an extremely smoky accord, which contrasts and compliments (if you like smoky, and I certainly do) the vanilla. This is more natural, slightly sweeter but dirtier than TFTV. It's also Guerlain, so I also think it's the better perfume overall (don't shoot me!).

Funny, I just noticed that jeca, who was the first Fragrantican to write a review on this perfume - also called it delicate and sophisticated!

I received an indirect compliment on SDV at a family gathering! After holding my baby niece my mom picked her up. "Oh, you smell like your Aunt!" she said, smiling, and put her nose to the baby's skin, inhaling deeply. I think that SDV suits me well. It's too bad it wasn't cheaper and easier to find. I may order a larger decant, because I'm fond of smoky perfumes.

sweetiepea161616
sweetiepea161616

I love this one! Yes, it's thick, sweet, rich, and almost cavity-inducing, but somehow Guerlain manages to rope it in just before it jumps off the bridge in Candy Land. Guerlain does vanilla like no one else, and this is a prime example of their masterful blending. SDV is a sweet, rich vanilla with a smoky, thick incense. I also get a lot of pink pepper, which I like, and of course the benzoin, but I feel it's overshadowed by the incense, vanilla, and pink pepper. This is one of those perfumes that makes you realize that sweet can be sophisticated, bold, and far from boring. I don't recommend this if you are looking for a dry, not sweet vanilla. To me this is as close to gourmand as you can get while still apparently remaining in the "oriental" category. Indeed, it can be overpowering at times, but it's a gorgeous scent for any occasion and will probably make the fellas go wild. I don't see this on a man just because I feel it is really quite sweet and almost sugary, but to each his own. I have 15 mLs of this beauty, but I'm telling you, once that's gone, I must have a full bottle.

EDIT- I did purchase a full bottle and I am DELIGHTED! :)

tiffingirl
tiffingirl

I adore SDV but cannot abide Mona Di Orio Vanille ...

EarthBoundMisfit
EarthBoundMisfit

mmmmmm. Tried this today. The lovely lady behind the Guerlain counter at Saks quickly sprayed my wrist before I had the chance to ask her to spray my forearm. I'd just had Tam Dao sprayed on my wrist you see. Holy Happy Mistakes Batman. Unbelievable combination.
So, I have a question for the SDV lovers here. What are your thoughts on Mona di Orio's Vanille? I am finding myself addicted to it's rummy booziness mixed with bitter orange and spice, with it's sandalwood dry down revealing at long last the most rich, authentic, deep-woody vanilla I've ever smelled. I find Mona's more of a scent journey. SDV I crave when I'm not in the mood to mess about with any chit-chat or foreplay so to speak. Know what I mean?
Anyway....I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on SDV vs Mona di Orio's Vanille....

ieatcarbs
ieatcarbs

In a word, intoxicating. By this, I don't mean burn-your-throat overpowering. I mean, this smells expensive and rich and decadent and almost like a liqueur you might sip on in a smoky hookah bar somewhere exotic. No dusty drugstore vanilla here, and definitely not everyone-is-wearing-it-Hanae-Mori cloyingly sweet vanilla. This is warm and deep and exotic and dries down to a very sensual scent that almost smells like it's your skin but sexier instead of some cloud of toxically heavy perfume that wafts out of your clothing.

Magically, it's not heavy as one would expect. Lasts all day on me in the sense that you can smell it on my skin if you're up close and personal, which is how perfume should be used. It's not the sort of scent that will leave a wake of destruction in your office

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

GORGEOUS!!!! Hands down THE most gorgeous vanilla fragrance out there. This is not your run of the mill vanilla here. This is sultry and sophisticated and a little bit naughty. Sexy? YES YES YES!!! This is vanilla all wrapped up in a smokey boozy little black dress. Totally different from TF vanilla (which I crazy love). I happily have both and love them for different reasons. FB worthy??? Absolutely!!!!! Vanilla lovers out there, you have got to try this little beauty!!! Amazing composition, beautifully blended and a total stunner!!!

Youssef_Maggi
Youssef_Maggi

Guerlain's finest edition in the last decade IMHO! beautiful vintage touch, totally worth it!

born for shalimar

I'll be buying this love asap . I'm infatuated.just received Madagascar and I'm enveloped.in swirls of fragrant purple blue indigo and a sweet dusky pink.with double vanill I see dark purple .Carmen . smooth satin lilac and sable.i will love it I know as I love all guelain.I look forward to being enveloped in dark mystery and double delight.

Lauralee77
Lauralee77

I thought I would love this much more than I do. Don't get me wrong it's nice but the boozy, sickly sweet beginning I find off putting. The dry down is much nicer but i still smell faintly the sickly sweetness. I like it but don't love it sadly. I wanted it to be a warmer more buttery vanilla.
Edited to add.. The final dry down smells just like a vanilla bean pod which is quite lovely I just wish it smelled that way from the beginning and had a touch more warmth to it.

dreyth
dreyth

The holy grail of vanilla frags for me. Just barely edges out Tobacco Vanille in terms of scent alone.

Opens up a bit boozy and with vanilla. Projection is great. After 4 hours of having two sprays on my inner elbow, I could still smell it on me with my hands on a desk and sitting up. In other words, 4hrs in this has 1-1.5ft of projection. Possibly more considering i may have had some olfactory fatigue. At this point in the game the booziness has faded (on my skin at least) and the slightest hint of tobacco comes into play. It compliments the vanilla very well. Maybe its not a note in the fragrance, but i still pick it up.

After about 5-6 hours i get the double vanille part. Just pure, "golden" vanilla on my skin. In total, this fragrance lasts about 14 hours on my skin. I do not like how it smells on clothing though; too much booze and by the time it focuses on vanilla, the scent is weak.

Longevity is excellent and projection seems to be moderate. I have high standards for projection though; others will find it perfect. I prefer the projection of tobacco vanille.

Im curious to try two sprays of this as a base, wait a bit, and then a tiny spray of tobacco vanille to see how the tobacco will compliment the vanilla in SDV

Scent: 9.5/10
Longevity: 9.0/10
Sillage: 8.0/10

Roge'
Roge'

Spirituesuse. The Annunaki God of Vanilla perfume. As mighty as the Double Vanille may seem, there is reason to believe that the paradigm set by the fragrance forefathers have been compromised by a creation that is a bit ho hum. SDV is indeed benefiting from the popularity of Guerlain. This frag is neither a lane changer nor a game changer. "Hey Roge', are you trying to say that this is a bad fragrance"? Of course not. It's actually likable but so is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich if you starved yourself for 3 days. I have a rule: If the fragrance is more than $200, then the sillage better be decent. That's why i'm turned off.

houstcs
houstcs

Somehow this reminds me of lalique encre noire, but much more sweet due to all the potent vanilla. Personally I prefer the darker encre noire

hermyonee

I discovered that there is a perfect clone to SDV, for such a ridiculous price; really a 100% clone, identical sicne the first spray, it's just amazing! i had 2 bottle of SDV so i know very well its notes & evolution, well, people, try L EAU DES MISSIONS du COUVENT DES MINIMES; such a pitty there's not a review here about this one, it's just the same as SDV, maybe a wee less weaker, but i don't mind since sometimes SDV felt almost too strong, specially on hotter days; this EAU des Missions, is not a cologne as the bottle states, it's just a choice of naming their product as old colognes, in fact it's an EDT that lasts very well, great sillage, the perfect bluff if you can't afford the 200$ for SDV, or on between two bottles ;) for just about 30$, here in France it's 28e for 100 ml! adn there is a 200 ml for 38e and even a 500 ml for just 49e !! unbelievable! try it, i couldn't belive it either before the first spray but i just love it!

aiobhan
aiobhan

First spray: Vanilla. Dark, rich vanila.

Drydown: Benzoin and incense notes begin to appear behind the vanilla to give it some warm spiciness.

After a few hours: The vanilla is still the star of the show, but it's deepened by benzoin and incense, and brightened by the bergamot.

This is probably the best vanilla scent I have ever smelled. It's not as dark or smoky as Vanille Insensee by Atelier thanks to the flowers and the bergamot, but it's gorgeous. Love it.

bossontherun
bossontherun

Rich, deep and sexy like hell. Complement through the roof. Damn the price, worship the scent!

hermyonee

it's a rich liquorous vanilla, but it also gets smoky facets, and some kind on tobacco notes... it's really great, sensual, deep, complex, love it!

darrshan77
darrshan77

review of darrshan

i love this stuff very very much but the price tag is a big question i want to ask guerlain

Blimunda
Blimunda

To me, this was one of the biggest and certainly unexpected fails within high-end perfumes.

I wish I could describe it in more than just a couple of words: double portion of vanilla topped with sticky benzoin. On my skin, it doesn't have any development phases, but stays the same all the way long. Too bad to be true.

Average lasting power, good projection.

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

Seriously for the smell that it is and the price tag of 400 dollars a bottle, I have a couple of questions to ask Guerlain: What kind of stuff are you guys smoking? When you come up with the price do you just get these numbers from the top of your head?

I don't care how good this stuff is, on my skin it lasted 1 hour and to be honest it was just a good vanilla perfume and that is all I can say about it, but I would never be crazy enough to purchase it for 400 dollars. I wonder if there are people who actually purchase this stuff, because there are those in the world who are starving for a piece of bread and then there are perfumes that cost this absurd amount, I just cant' fit this inside of my head, someone please enlighten me.

bigjakeriz
bigjakeriz

What can I say that hasn't already been said. This is like a vanilla liqoure. Its preatty linear but I don't mind that at all. If something smells amazing from the top, I have no problem with it staying that way. Very very warming. Sophisticated, upper class vanilla scent. I finally got.a. bottle. It's absolutely fantastic. Very comforting. Gets compliments all across the board. And lasts all day and night.

LeisaSch
LeisaSch

Holy smoking vanilla!! Deep, incensed, slightly boozy - and very vanilla. A rich, warm, sexy combination - this is sultry and it is delicious. Winner, love it. The Incense (smokiness), as opposed to Tobacco Leaf, make it completely different from Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille.

SDV is definitely a cool weather scent. I've noticed it's all about the smokiness when the weather is warm and it can be a bit choking. The sweet creamy vanilla is much more apparent in cooler weather!

Puddy Cat
Puddy Cat

well this is very very strong boozy in the opening for me & then dries down to the most delicious rich creamy vanilla YUMMMMM
my hubby came home with a piece of sponge cake for me & when he put it down in front of me he said "mmmm that cake smell's lovely doesn't it?" I said "or is it me?" & put my arm under his nose & he laughed & said "yes mmmmm that's really yummyyy" lol it was SDV :-)

just gorgeous <3 I ...actually want to eat my arm ........it's that tasty but not in a sweet sickly way just in a really luscious sexy way

dmoman
dmoman

Boozy, rich, creamy, slightly smokey, little powdery Vanilla extract. Scent is very nice and would love this on a woman but men can pull it off.

superped2
superped2

I love this scent if anybody is selling a bottle let me know

careless86

العطر هذا موجود عندي ومستخدم 3% فقط وعارضه للبيع الي من السعوديه- الرياض يراسلني :- السعر 900 ريال
وايضاََ عندي عطور اخرى للبيع سواء من جيرلان الخاصه او ماركات مختلفة ...

antfarm
antfarm

When I tried this I thought: Hmmmmm, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Lite. Maybe a good idea if you have tried Tom Ford's smoky vanilla and thought it was a little too dense and thick.

careless86

vanilla milk shake scent :) i like it

mariana
mariana

This one comes really close to Gloria! Great stuff, but I still prefer Gloria over this...

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

It really looks like a vanilla bourbon, natural and original, expected no less from Guerlain.
Has a touch smoky and boozy vibe, i believe it is the combination of incense and benzoin with a pinch of pepper.
This combination further intrigues and turns it the best perfume with vanilla base that already felt, stunning!

mimikins24
mimikins24

I was very excited to get a decant of this scent, as I have been looking for the perfect vanilla for a while --- perhaps my expectations were too high.

It is a very boozy vanilla --- think bourbon vanilla extract. Unfortunately, it really doesn't go anywhere from there. It perhaps gets a bit more resinous as it dries down, but on my skin there is little development if any. Longevity is good, close sillage.

Is it nice, yes. Is it rich and cozy, yes, but at the end of the day, I am dissapointed by Guerlain and simply not willing to spend anywhere the $300 on a bottle.

Gi87
Gi87

Drydown for me is a mixture of black licorice and boozy vanilla. I love wearing this, but only during winter. Always receive a ton of compliments, wish I could wear it everyday.

Baldric
Baldric

At first I thought I had received a mislabeled decant. This is pepper, then incense, then cedar. About an hour later the vanilla joins the party. Not what I was expecting at all! Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely gorgeous but many of the reviews of this led me to believe this was a pretty linear, vanilla, comforting bear hug of a scent. I find it to be more complex than that, much too woody to be simply referred to as vanilla. I get no ice cream vibe from this at all either. This is long lasting and slow to develop but dry down is certainly worth the time commitment. I love it, but I am trying to only buy things that I feel I can't live without and for me this is not on that level given the price tag.

French Boudoir Doll
French Boudoir Doll

Spiritueuse...referring to liquor...
To tell the making of Vanille in a liquor..is truly a work of art.
Have you ever sipped on some Good Southern WHISKEY from Tennesee or Kentucky? I would be referring to George Dickle, Blanton, Four Roses, Makers Mark and Elija Craig to name a few. These are very rich and thick in Vanille. They came that way through the aging process in Good American Oak Barrels, (the longer the whisky ages, the stronger the vanille) which by the way are hand crafted. These lovely Oak barrels are not thrown away after use, but rather shipped to Scottland and Ireland so that they may reuse these barrels for there whisky making.
***A review?? Ok... I sat there...sipping my nightly whisky with my gent...and one evening I said "I must have a perfume that smells like this!" Now I do adore My SL...Une de Boise Vanilla... and it is a different type of vanilla. But to review (Spiritueuse)This is more of what I had described in the first paragraph. No...it does NOT smell like alcohol! But the Vanille that comes from the process. It is not strong....but intoxicatingly delicious!! For me it is better in the cooler weather, more faint in the heat.
***I love layering certain fragrances from certain Houses ...especially Annick Goutal...BUT NOT...I say...NOT Guerlain. But I think this would layer nice with many of the Guerlain's and would deepen the vanille effect for the wearer. I will have to try. This is definately on my wish list! My favorite Haute Perfumerie had gifted me with a rather generous sample and I thank them dearly.
Have a drink with me??? Sit a spell...I will pour you a lovely whisky.

Atticushero
Atticushero

At first this fragrance has a very strong boozey almost like vicks rub but after having worn this for quite a bit I can pick up the vanilla in the opening and I started to appreciate that after a few wearings.

The opening can shy some people away however the dry down is where this really shines. The fragrance turns into something that smells like warm vanilla ice-cream and it is a very nice scent. A very classy unisex fragrance for sure.

9.5/10 - This is liquid gold

Bethany.1984
Bethany.1984

I.....just....love....this.

On my skin it smells like a combination of bourbon, boozy vanilla, cherry tobacco and incense.
Just extraordinary!

It projects very nicely.
Use sparingly if your going to be around people who might have "scent" issues.......although I can't imagine anyone finding this scent offensive......and it lasts for about 6-8 hours on my skin.

This is just such a comfy frag and even though I think it leans towards being a fall/winter scent, I would wear this any time of the year and hope to continue to wear for a very long time to come.

orchid_84
orchid_84

Spiritueuse Double Vanille starts off with the incredibly decadent scent of vanilla ice cream - sweet and very creamy. The opening is intensely vanillic…think Bourbon vanilla extract amplified to the nth degree. Within a few moments, however, it evolves into something more dry and woodsy on my skin. Cedar and cracked pepper add a delicious, nose-tickling spice. Soon the incense starts to smolder beneath the warm woods and vanilla. A deep booziness also runs throughout this fragrance, making it rather addictive. In the drydown, Spiritueuse Double Vanille softens into a dark, slow-burning incense and vanilla cream. This is an intoxicating, smoky-rich vanilla...can't get my nose off my wrist with this one.

sheridanellis
sheridanellis

Boozy, masculine vanilla. This has an intense cedar note which can smell not unlike a hamster cage that needs to be cleaned on some people if your chemistry doesn't work with that note. I had a dab on one day and forgot I was wearing it & tried my sample of Tom Ford's Black Orchid on as well. Apparently they mixed beautifully together because my mom wouldn't stop grabbing my wrist's and sniffing them! Guerlain is the love of my life as far as perfume houses go, so I am a fan of pretty much anything they do. This is not too complex, but herbaceous, sexy and "mmmmmm" (if you know what I mean...) all on a bed of a deep dark vanilla that reminds me of spiced rum in a way. (The spirit, not the after shave.) Best wishes~ xo

gracep
gracep

On my tester card, this was one of the most rich, evocative, and classy perfumes I've ever smelled. It was a thick mixture of cedar, vanilla and other elements so well-blended as to be difficult to separate out. On my skin, it was quite different. It was weedy and basically amounted to a single note cedar perfume with some kind of twig scent going on, but also something amber-y. For the month I've been in Paris on holiday, I have often smelled some kind of delightfully old-fashioned smelling (not in a musty gross way, in a sexy, classy way) fragrance, usually on men. That smell is the smell of this perfume on paper. It's not like any other vanilla I've ever smelled or could conceive of, and on paper it's truly amazing. I'm pretty disappointed that on my skin it doesn't shine, but I may give it another try. With its huge price tag, I really want to feel more than somewhat convinced that it's a good fragrance for me. It's also quite elegant and formal smelling, and I'm 21, so I don't know how often it would be an appropriate scent.

muskymoi
muskymoi

I'm wearing this today (from a sample..thanks Nordstrom's) and I honestly feel like a hedonist (and a tad edible). I'm trying to avoid gnawing on my arm as I type. What a delectable thing this perfume is.

finanna
finanna

I am halfway through my 75mls and very puzzled: is this the fragrance I was so excited about after reading so many ecstatic reviews? Is it nice? Yes, no doubt about it - but is it special? I am not convinced.

It is not boozy on me, the cedar and floral notes play nicely with vanilla& sweet incense in the opening and after about 45 minutes it is basically vanilla, benzoin and more piquant, savage vanilla (the Madagascar one?). There is just a hint of liquorice/star anise, which would have been interesting in this context if amped up just a bit more (not to Lolita Lempicka extent but just a bit).

SDV is not sickeningly sweet but rather soft and comforting, not alluring and seductive. It is not really the grown-up vanilla I was expecting it to be. Staying power is (below) average and the scent stays rather close to skin after the first sixty minutes. Have a sniff/sample of this one if you are looking for that perfect vanilla. Chances are that you will love this stuff or find it mediocre and be very happy about not spending $$$. Like previous reviewers, I am puzzled how a brand that Shalimarised vanilla concocted this.

Edit: I have finished my bottle. Although I found SDV a bit "meh" on itself, it worked pretty well as a layering scent.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

It opens with boozy vanilla and rum, which is interesting but almost pungent-smelling. And then it dries down to vanilla ice cream, which smells more pleasant, but somehow less exciting. At first, the projection seems strong, but then it slowly dissipates.

In other words, this is just vanilla, vanilla pods and more vanilla with relatively thin dry-down. If you can stand this much of vanilla, you should try it.

bcoops
bcoops

not just this but most Guerlains I encountered as BEASTS in projection/longevity

you cant go trigger happy on these ....

hermyonee

for me this is just a perfect, liquoury, sophisticated vanilla, the best one! Not eadible, but yet so rich, with cedar & benzoin to add a soft, cloudy feeling. I really can't get enough of it; a bit too strong for summer, but perfect for cold days. elegant, sensual, sophisticated, classy; I used to love only H poison at that point so far, now I also love SDV ... I always loved vanilla scent but usually it's too sugary, sticky, gourmand, so it's not easy to find a fragrance that works, I also live Vanille noir, YR, which is soft but stil fresh & classy.

axa5780
axa5780

boozy vanilla extract, That's it. Not much development and certainly not worth the price tag.

floof

I just got my full bottle. It is like a light, peppery Tobacco Vanille/Le Labo Vanille/Tonka Imperiale with a rich Guerlain vanilla. The ceder is there for me as well as the amber and incense. I like it but it is not my favorite. The vanilla in this is very similar to the vanilla in Angelique Noire. I think it is a little over hyped, but I dont hate it by any means.
Maybe it will grow on me...

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

Well this opens like vanille ice cream which gets a bit boozy but more in a liqueur way with a hint of rose.

I'm picking up a touch of incense and amber as time has moved on within this gorgeous mix. This scent is very light yet complex at the same time, there is a good few notes coming and going within the vanille.

A really enchanting beautiful vanille fragrance and one so easy to fall in love with.

shoguns2480
shoguns2480

Wait till the dry down to smell the most beautiful vanilla on earth. I have a bottle of Dior Homme Intense Vintage Silver cap for anyone interested in tradeing.

justicecrow88
justicecrow88

i waited 2 months for my decant and i am in love!it smells like a freshly opened vanilla bean then on to a cotton candy and bubblegum sweetness sprinkled with licorice followed by a lightly toasted marshmallow dipped in cognac.it is like a more refined pink sugar.i am in love with this grown up gourmand. <3

pingui
pingui

I finally got my sample of this, and wow, it was worth the month plus wait! I love the sharp opening of lime and pepper, which 15 minutes later is replaced with a "whosh" of vanilla, cognac, and bourbon. This phase reminds me of the scent wafting from a snifter of Navan. Just like a cognac that opens up from the warmth of one's hands cradling the balloon, so does this fragrance on your skin. It moves into a deeper crushed vanilla of the richest most expensive pods, their dark pearls glistening after being released. This strong, luscious scent is playfully counterbalanced by spices of cinnamon, clove, allspice and an another counterbalance of cedar, benzoin and amber.

I get very little of the florals, but perhaps they are there in the background to add a complexity that you just can't put your finger on.

This is the kind of scent, that I picture wearing on a cold day, wrapped in cashmere and leggings, with a snifter of brandy and a medium-bodied cigar.

Mokokos
Mokokos

This is a fragrance that starts just like vanilla extract that you use in the kitchen. Then in about 15 minutes there is a touch of rum soaked raisins riding on maple creme. It dries down to a cloud of soft vanilla, very soothing, just wonderful. You think it's subtle, but then hours later someone will complement you on how nice you smell. What's that saying, "Royalty need not shout it's presence." Definitely applies here. I love it!

Scentrist

Now that I've actually bought this for myself, an update was in order.

The first 5-10 minutes is, indeed, a rich, bourbon, boozy vanilla. Gourmand, tasty, a drink-me-in type of fragrance. Then, wait for it...

It becomes a very settled and richer vanilla with hints of incense, rose, and amber. This goes from wonderful to a masterpiece in about 20 minutes as it transforms. What transfixed me from the bottle was the sheer booziness of it at first, and that's truly the draw. Once you've experienced that, the surprise is that the show is simply beginning and you're just along to enjoy the ride. The play of benzoin adds that extra resinous feel to it to simply augment the incense notes and create a simply beautiful experience. This is NOT a linear experience at all!

I've read the comparisons of this to Tobacco Vanille, and if I may, it's not accurate. TV is simply a very dirty, synthetic vanilla that ends up smelling like a supermarket extract or waffles. TV to me just smells like a dirty, linear, cheap vanilla, where SDV is the genuine article. The Madagascar Vanilla in SDV is quite different, rather luxurious, and isn't even a fair comparison.

This needs a full day of wearing to let it open up, transform, and to savor its entirety and experience how masterful and lovely it is.

Parfumista2010

When I tested SDV a year ago I found it to be too watery in terms of vanilla und too boozy for me to like.
Now I gave it a second try and must say I really like it ! It is a gorgeous edible not too sweet vanilla and in the background there is tobacco. The kind that reminds me of my grandpa. I feel cozy, comforted and relaxed when wearing SDV.
I bought the bottle and ignored the price. What counts is that this scent makes me happy, can be worn basically all year round (here in the middle of Europe) and does not offend as the sillage remains close to the skin. Tenacity is ok, too.
As a vanilla and gourmand lover (and as I love Guerlain scents) this was a must-try and later on a must-have.
Very unisxe, by the way. I would love to smell this on a man, too.

Straight out of the vial, while still wet on my skin, Guerlain SPIRITUEUSE DOUBLE VANILLE smells exactly like vanilla extract. High-quality bourbon vanilla extract, but vanilla extract all the same. A few seconds later, a dark and dirty demeanor shows its face—so dark that I thought ever-so briefly that it might be leather, but it appears to have been frankincense. The next somewhat surprising development is the emergence of something sour and unpleasant. I do not know what accounts for it, but it definitely disrupts my positive experience of this perfume for a couple of minutes. After that, all of the excitement dies down, and I find myself wondering whether this was really launched by Guerlain—until I remember that Guerlain is not Guerlain anymore.

I'm not really sure how or why anyone would find this composition similar to TF TOBACCO VANILLE, which opens with far more richness and depth to my nose, and eventually dries down to a primarily raw pipe tobacco perfume. SPIRITUEUSE DOUBLE VANILLE focuses much more, in contrast and as advertised, on vanilla. The drydown is nice enough (the sourness of the midstage has largely subsided), leaving me with the overall, lasting impression that this is a fairly respectable niche vanilla, albeit nothing to get too excited about. Consequently, I'll not be competing for the no doubt limited number of bottles of this perfume in existence. Enjoy!

TDS
TDS

I've had 4 bottles of this perfume and the strangest experience! Bottles # 1 and #3 contained my favorite fragrance of all time-dark, mysterious vanilla, surrounded by rum and tobacco. However, bottles #2 and #4 did not smell like the same fragrance AT ALL! They contained an almost dirty tobacco scent that overpowered the lush vanilla that I adored! They were purchased at two different places within the past year: Saks in NYC and a Guerlain boutique at a luxury hotel in NYC. The explanation from the "experts" behind the counter, including one manager from Paris is that the fragrances are made in very small batches and can sometimes vary.

Has anyone else had this experience?? I don't even want to finish my bottle of tobacco smelling stuff! Yet when I went to Saks yesterday, the tester contained the lovely and haunting vanilla! I was afraid to buy again because the tester doesn't always indicate which scent you will actually be getting!

So, in short: There seem to be two different Double Vanille fragrances. Quite puzzling!

tenderhearted
tenderhearted

I never have laid my nose upon the original,but my cruelty free imitation has made my heart sing!

It is very unique,smoky floating,dancing clouds of soft incense with dry, crisp,and wise vanilla very magical to me. Sweet in a resin way,not like candy. Benzoin I love so much,and this resin always holds everything together so tenderly. Sometimes,I even get hints of anise,lovely spice,and this perfume is very unusual and mysterious.

I love that it is called Spiritueuse. Like the very name is telling me I will be visited by vanilla spirits,and maybe not once but double times!

EDIT 2/26/2012
I have just learned that Guerlain is a company which sells fur. I am deeply saddened by this.

scentedrat
scentedrat

Vanilla. Nothing more, nothing less. On me it's pretty much the same as what I would expect a nice, quality vanilla extract to smell like. I get no booziness, no spice, nothing. I used up my whole sample trying to figure out what the hype was all about, and never found out. Disappointing.

finzi
finzi

This is far and away my favourite vanilla perfume of all those I have come across. In my opinion there is a slight darkness to the vanilla which stops it being cloyingly sweet and also gives it such a luxurious weight and depth. It is so indulgent, so beautiful... It's also rather strong, so a little goes a loooooong way on my skin. I suppose it might be too linear, too simple for some tastes.

I have found some vanilla perfumes too sugary (E Coudray's Ambre et Vanille and Vanille et Coco, Serge Lutens' Bois de Vanille spring to mind) but not so with Spiritueuse Double Vanille.

candymarie
candymarie

Based on the notes, reviews, house and price, I assumed I would love my sample of this one and want a bottle. Unfortunately (or fortunately, due to the price) this one is not for me. At first I thought they must've made a mistake and decanted the wrong product, because I detected zero vanilla, but then I noticed lots of other reviewers who, like me, don't smell vanilla AT ALL (strange, given the name, right?) But I do smell something herbal, maybe it's the pink pepper and bergamot combo? And I just realized that it reminds me strongly of Lalique le Parfum, which I already have. In fact they seem to me almost exactly the same. Almost. I'm kind of relieved, though. Last thing I need on my Want list is a $200 perfume, right? :-)

Edit: If you love this one but not it's price tag, I suggest testing a sample of Lalique le Parfum, to me they are so much alike in the drydown.

Edit #2 (much later): I tested this a few times over the course of several weeks. The first couple of times I got mostly a strong bergamot/pink pepper accord, which is when I wrote my review. Trying it again a few weeks later, I got more of what everyone else is talking about - the rich, boozy, ambery vanilla. If I didn't believe it before, now I am convinced that a good sampling should take place over several days, at least. One time on one day just isn't enough, apparently. :-)

Allinug
Allinug

It smells like burnt vanilla and something strange. I thought I liked it at first or I wanted to like it but no I don't.

Where is that wonderful smell of vanilla...I can't smell it...

Bandit
Bandit

Kchild, you are so right, I can't find any Guerlainade, too. Thanks heaven for that, as I hate all Guerlains with it. And you are right with your whole review, thank you for it! : )
Nothing to add, but maybe:

Spiritueuse Double Vanille is - hands down - the BEST VANILLA you can find.

That's interesting, as Guerlain was the house, that gave vanilla that sickly sweet touch (Shalimar), now they are saving this note with SDV (the same with gourmand, Thierry Mugler, Angel and Womanity imho).

Kchild
Kchild

Seriously, sign me up for the lifetime supply. I've actually had this for a coupla years and last year it just wasn't my thing. This year~I can't get enough.

It's fall right now and this is just delicious! I don't smell any Guerlainade in here which helps it work for me. It still has a weightiness to it, just not the actual heaviness of it. I find it somewhat dry when compared to so many vanille's and this really through me off as a budding perfumista. I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. Now? A totally different story.

This is rich and boozy like so many have said. It resonates and rumbles in a place of rum, vanille, and a bit of smokiness. The vanille isn't that of cupcakes but of grown ups and nightclubs.This is not one that I would choose to wear to church or a school function. It's not that I wouldn't want to, it's just that it's fermented enough to raise some eyebrows.

This is a specatularly sexy vanille. It's not sheer and it lasts all day or night for me.This is the fragrance of a person who knows their perfume. It's something that will not be mistaken for a fun cheapy buy. It's expensive, no question.

Scentrist

My review here will probably be a martyr, but here goes. This is a rich, rum-like, boozy vanilla. Think of a bottle of Captain Morgan's Rum amped up past 11 with the vanilla notes, and you have some idea of how SDV plays out. It's warm, it's intoxicating, it's delicious. That's the best description I can provide of what it is.

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille it is not, and thank God for that! TV is perhaps a much dirtier vanilla and smells very synthetic to me. It's not a gourmand vanilla, nor do I get much tobacco out of the Tom Ford creation. Simply put, TV smells like a confection or baked goods. SDV smells more like the vanilla fragrance of Shalimar fame, but with more focus on the that as base note, and a much heavier influence on the more boozy elements. SDV is, in my estimation, far more the gourmand vanilla to which TV aspires.

Raina
Raina

I have a very strong love/hate relationship with this perfume. While it remains the best vanilla I've smelled on the market, I feel that the boozy smokey note in this was not quite what I expected. It's a sharp note that's most apparent when first applied and initially all I could think was that this was an old man's cologne. Eventually the vanilla whispered out from behind the smokey veil and I was caught, addicted, to that gorgeous vanilla. But it was like a bad relationship, I wanted to walk away but I kept overlooking the negative in the hopes that the positives would triumph. That smokey booze note was just too sharp when I was hoping that it would gentle and warm and fade to a background with the vanilla at the foreground.

Not a scent I will ever be wearing out of the house, but one I will revisit when the need for that vanilla grows too strong.

Grottola
Grottola

Spiritueuse Double Vanille is definitely the most unique vanilla-based scent I've ever smelled.

The first 30 minutes is all about vanilla, liquor, vanilla, liquor liquor liquor, vanilla, liquor, vanilla, liquor, vanilla. The liquor contributes to a weird note that I can only describe as "vinegar", and while it's not unpleasant, it doesn't exactly compliment the vanilla. Fortunately, the "vinegar" note dies down after half an hour.

After half an hour or so, the vanilla comes to the fore, and combines with incense and benzoin to create a B E A U T I F U L oriental. It's resinous and warm, and kind of reminds me of candle smoke in a way. At this point, Spiritueuse really establishes itself and goes on for hours of delight.

I'll have to give this one a few more wearings, but so far I really like it. It takes a lot for me to like a sweet scent, but I may very well end up liking this one a lot.

Christy2198
Christy2198

New to the fragrance world. at first spray I noticed a sharp scent. After about 20 mins I found a very pleasing vanilla powder sent. very lovely. This is a fragrance which says "Here I am" and I love it!

(update) I revisited my sample last night. I fell asleep last night with this on my wrists. I woke up this morning an inhaled the yummy smoky vanilla sent. I WILL be looking buying this with my next paycheck!

Heverton
Heverton

Despite the complex name, the scent starts with a chord of sweet vanilla, but with a very particular herbal touch. And so it remains for about 1 hour...

After this time the vanilla actually takes its place in the perfume, living up to its name and remains so until the end. But it is not a vanilla screaming in your face. It is a very soft and tasty one.

It is a very nice scent, but not worth the price they charge, in my opinion. I agree with a guy who said" perfect for those who found Tobacco Vanille too strong."

Oh, and longevity is excellent, even though it is a soft fragrance.

Parfumista2010

Ekove, I absolutly agree with you on "Tobacco Vanille light" ! Tested SDV yesterday and found it very very VERY light - too light for me to be a perfume I would love to wear.
Furthermore, the vanilla was delicious, yes, but simply too similar to my beloved Tobacco Vanille which I would NEVER swap for SDV.

I was looking forward to the "spiritueuse" face of the scent but it was just not there. No rum, no vodka, only the kind of alcohol you have in every perfume and this does not count in my opinion.

Guerlain offers some very adorable scents but I can calmly pass on this one.

My rating on a scale from 1(poor) to 10(perfume heaven) : 4
Sillage : light
Longevity : on me it stayed only about 2 hours

SDV was overall a big disappointment. The "double" only hints the price but not the quality.

Ekove
Ekove

Reworking

---//

Presentation: 8/10
Uniqueness: 7/10
Value: 4/10
Projection: 4/10
Smell: 7/10

Overall: 6/10 (I don't mind owning this if it was a quarter of the price, merely for the opening, still overall pleasant)

panterachik
panterachik

My love of rich vanilla,tobacco,booze and incense called me to SDV.

It all started with a small sample and then moved on to a 10ml decant now... I must have a full bottle of this 'wish I could bath in it' juice! I dont really pick up any rose in this composition but it isn't greatly missed. What I do get is a hot spicy drink spiked with a little vanilla extract and rum enjoyed in front of a roaring fireplace (with a significant other if you like) on a winters night.
EDIT: NOW HAVE A FULL BOTTLE!!!!!!! :)

floof

I had every intention of purchasing a bottle of this when i walked in to neiman marcus. Everywhere i look this is mentioned as one of the best vanillas of all time (also tihota and tobacco vanille are brought up often). To me this was way too light, nonexistent on both my mother and self. I was bummed, i wanted another vanilla to adore like i do tihota, but this was not it. Try before you buy. M. Micallef's Note Vanillee is what I wanted this to be and fits the description of SDV much better than the actual fragrance. Much less expensive, prettier vial, I suggest Note Vanillee Art Collection to any SDV fan as well.

Catharine
Catharine

My first impressions were vanilla, spice, and rum. Delicious. Within minutes it comes together as sweet pipe tobacco. Or maybe pipe tobacco being smoked in a kitchen where boozy sweets are being baked. (I began this autumn with a keen desire to find a pipe tobacco fragrance, but I couldn't seem to find one that pleased me. I found this quite by accident while exploring modern Guerlains.) There is cedar in here but it's fleeting. Spiritueuse is sweet,sophisticated and unisex. If you love vanilla but don't want another cupcake, try this. I must have a bottle.
Update: I wonder if the cedar may be contributing to the tobacco aroma? So, while I said that cedar is a fleeting note, I think it's just blended very well and doesn't overwhelm. Forgive me if that's a big 'duh', but I'm just beginning to learn about perfumes.

guest_Raina
guest_Raina

Ordered a sample of this and now I must have a bottle! When I first spritzed it on and let it sit for a few minutes I was rather disappointed. I'd been looking for a more mature vanilla, but the boozy start seemed a little too mature. Less sexy-mature, more something-I've-smelled-on-an-elderly-lady-at-the-store-mature. Not to be deterred, I let it sit for a while, hoping and praying that it would give way to something I'd been hearing raves about. A little while later something happened; the old-lady fume gave way to something smokey, warm, and oh so delicious. On top of it all was this amazing sweet scent that just wafted about for hours from my wrist. It was so yummy I had to fight not to lick at it. I wont say that this is a true vanilla in the sense that it smells like it came out of your cooking vanilla, but its the best darn formulation for a true vanilla out there. Its edibly sweet, without the extreme sugary or burnt caramel smell that companies try to pass of as vanilla. Definitely one of the very best vanillas out there. And with a touch of sexy too!

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Opens very much like L'Instant-
and warms into a gelato with a shot of fine spiced rum. Not too much to this scent, but it somehow manages to smell amazingly vanillic and have foody notes-being almost gourmand--in "spirit"- without being gourmand.Boozy but refined, soft and voluptuous. Kind of heavy and definitely perfumey-but certainly sexy if your nose likes vanilla. Definitely Oriental, benzoin smoulders, and amber very much contributes to the heavy sweetness. As sweet as it is there is no sugar note, making the scent superior to equally sweet but sugary vanilla fragrances. I am not sure this is the best vanilla fragrance (could be too rich and heavy)-but it is chic and drunkening.

nenuphar
nenuphar

So first let me start off by saying, I will certainly be purshasing another decant to tie me over until I can buy the real thing. :)
What a lovely vanilla for those who don't what the angel food / cupcake type of vanilla scent.
Guerlain's SDV starts off with a burst of dark vanilla extract and bourbon! This mellows out over the next hour into a warm non-sweet vanilla, little bit of dark rhum undertones and that same rich scent you get from dried tobacco aroma in a humidor. And it's definitely a feminine scent!
I am saving up for this beauty - just perfect for fall and winter. As for the packaging.... blah.... for such a warm and rich smelling frag, the font and bottle just don't seem to match.

Wim Janssens
Wim Janssens

A tribute from Jean-Paul Guerlain to "vanille"
So intense, and complex, Jean-Paul did it again. It could be part of 'L'art et la Matière", in honour to the "matières de base".
It's a very special creation,and in my opinion: you love it or hate it.

dacha
dacha

In the end it came down to the boozy note, a lovely warm vanilla spoiled for me. In some places it is recommended as an alternative to Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, If you are looking for a tobacco note it doesn't play much of a part, but if you like booze with your vanilla and can justify the price, it might go well.

creekside
creekside

Well what the heck is wrong with ME? I couldn't wait to receive my sample vial of this fragrance - but it has never gotten past the "old lady perfume" stage - I don't smell vanilla AT ALL! Truly - it is awful on me. Even my dogs don't want to come near me:)

I only smell this at Guerlain's boutique in Paris. I almost fell head over heels for it. I agree it's mainly vanilla, but a very good one, enticing, deep and joyful without that extreme foody edge I so loathe in vanilla scents. Side notes are lively, subtly floral and a little boozy. I would have purchased it straight away if I could.
I spent rest of the day smelling my wrist.

Erika_K
Erika_K

This perfume smells like a sugar-coat on me, with some powdery notes. I expect more from a scent of The Guerlain House.

veruska
veruska

A rather simple and mediocre vanilla from the brand that created the most complex and rewarding vanilla smells in the world. I simply don't agree with the rest of you, although the pink pepper top note tickles nicely the nose. After that we have an open flirt with cedar and vanilla that reminds me several non-occuring holywood romantic comedies that makes you take a good nap on the sofa.

Deep fruity vanilla with strong Cedar onset. Nearly ice cream, but still a skin scent rather than food. Lovely, but too expensive and hard to find.

jeca
jeca

This is one of the most wondeful vanilla I ever smelled! So delicate and sophisticated with edible and powdery rose nuances, with nice retro warmness.
When I applied it for the first time, it seemed to be discreet, but after a while I smell it around me, in waves.

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain 4.46 out of 5 based on 567 ratings and 105 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.